Speaker 1: It's Steve Schmidt here with the warning, and I am thrilled tonight to be joined by the veteran political journalist Ryan Liza at tell Us. I'd urge you to subscribe to tell Us. There's some great journalism, some long form journalism on there about an incredible abuse of power by a mag lawyer. Ryan's entanglement in it reads like a novel. Today, Ryan had on Judge Michael Ludig, veteran federal judge, one of the pre eminent conservative legal minds of his generation and a deeply principled believer in the rule of law, the American Constitution. And you can see Judge Ludiic and his appearance with Ryan on Ryan's podcast and tell Us, and I encourage you to watch it because Judge Ludik is going to in that podcast detail in a way that's very accessible the lawlessness, the disregard for the Constitution, and all of those things we're gonna talk about that. To kick off, I wanted to make one initial point here as we begin the conversation tonight, and it is I see one of our Canadian community members, and I was walking into a Canadian grocery store earlier and Every item in that store is tagged with the Canadian flag to indicate if it is a Canadian product. And the pride of the country with regard to its prime minister is palpable. And we're going to talk about Mark Carney tonight as a portraiture of leadership and the oppositional character creates that he has to so much of the Washington DC Democratic establishment. Smart able, obviously noncompetulant, and I thought, and we'll start this, I do have one fact check in the old spirit of things that the Prime Minister said that was deeply untrue in this moment, and it's this. He said, Canada is not for sale, and that is trip but Dan and the Prime Minister motioned in the Oval Office and he said, in some places are not for sale, but the American Oval Office is most certainly for sale. And Donald Trump is renting it out like a whore from an old West town, one shekel at a time to every hour potentate they can get a bitcoin of them and down to Marilago. It is an appalling, palling, ethical armageddon and a corruption that we're witnessing. There's a staging and I want to talk about that tonight.
Speaker 2: As well. But I want to kick it off just about.
Speaker 1: How you read that room? What went down there yesterday? How do you process what? I observe? His madness, insanity incoherence, a portraiture of psychological disorder of meglomania manifesting itself. Donald Trump surrounded by henchman in sick offense the Canadian Prime Minister there in a very high stakes moment that I think he acquitted himself with the highest degree of statesmanship. I have awesome respect for him, right, maximum respect for Prime Minister Mark Carney right, as a as a leader who defends liberty, who defends freedom, defends what's right in this in this moment, And so like, how did you read that room?
Speaker 3: I think I mean two things. I mean, Carney's election was propelled by Trump, right, it was propelled by anti Trump feeling in Canada. So I'm sure he went in there despite all the bullshit that Trump has been saying, and all and all the nonsense about Canada being the fifty first state. He went in there with you know, political wind at his back, recently elected popular, whereas Trump is uh suffering from a cratering in the polls in recent weeks he's suffering from hit after hit by federal judges around the country declaring the that his major initiatives so far are don't pass legal muster. And so I think that's the sort of setup. I mean, I think sometimes we think of Trump as this, uh, you know, a titanic political figure because he's, you know, he's had this incredible comeback politically and you know, he's back in the White House, but he's not doing great right now, Steve. In my view, so that was the first thing. Is a politician on the up and you know, one coming down, and the relationship between them is, you know, this Canadian Prime minister has been helped by by Trump's nonsense. Parney was, you know, a statesman. He didn't get into. You know, it's amazing to me how these traditional politicians are able to uh not get in the gutter with Trump and not try and come into the Oval office and engage in the kind of antics that he does. He must be I'm sure it's very tempting for them to do that. He didn't do that. He made some jokes. I don't know if you agree or not, but Trump kind of was a whimp about about everything. I mean, he didn't. He didn't he wasn't pushing him on this, on this stuff. He made a couple of cracks about it. I mean, I think a certain sense to me, it was like Trump actually understands how idiotic and juvenile the whole thing is, and he's almost embarrassed to really push it, uh in front in front of this person. So that was you know that, that was my basic read on it is you know, Trump is very conflict diverse in real life, right. I think you know, the the Zelenski meeting maybe was an outlier in that sense, but he doesn't like face to face uh, confrontation.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The stuff from the Apprentice was just you know, bullshit TV TV stuff, right, And so yeah, that was my basic read, my basic read on it. You're the you're the you are the Canadian expert here, Steve. You're there a lot, and you're now basically an ambassador to Canada. Uh, you're when when you go up there. So what was what was your takeaway?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, listen, I crossed the border last night in each border guard, uh, you know, at the you know, very professional Canadian border services. I apologized uh on behalf of the United States and let them know. You know, American people are not behind this. Uh.
Speaker 2: I think it's outrageous.
Speaker 1: You know, you think about the World Cup and the comments about jd Vance, about the threat implicit to Ice Barbie who by the way, you know, a raid at a Washington d c restaurant in the footprint really of the White House owned by the husband of the CBS anchor woman, uh a few days after the way, after sixty minutes raises the steaks is deeply suspect to me. And so in this moment, I think that it's very important for people to see clearly what's going on. And what morek Carney did is show the whole world how easy it is to manipulate Donald Trump and how incoherent he is, and whether the sycophants like Steven Miller who go on and they say things on Fox like well, you know, look, I'm watching the Grand Chess Master, right, You're watching a ship of fools doing real arson. And so with regard to people, you know, as you cross a border, you know, does.
Speaker 2: Os Donald Trump, do not.
Speaker 1: Spend your money in the United States, do not buy an American product, send a signal Tesla is collapsing. They cannot get rid of the cyber trucks. He has two hundred million dollars of inventory. Right, the company is on a path to destruction. And all of these things, interconnected together, will weaken core pillars of this movement. And we're seeing that clay out right now. It's gonna get worse, right, Because what I wanted to ask you also, is is there a sense in Washington about that seven weeks from now, there's gonna be really a fundamental collapse of inventory and stores and a high consumption society. So there's gonna be a lot of items that suddenly become scarce, Prices will go up, jobs will disappear. And when you look at agricultural forecasts and some of this maybe the inability to pick crops, the inability to move crops to markets internationally, which has a real implication for long haul truck drivers, which is really the number one living wage job, right for a non college educated white guy in the country, right, a core Trump constituency. Right, all of this, as we move into the September October I think takes Trump down to about a twenty nine thirty percent approval level. This should be a historic glow. I worried about thirty eight thirty nine hovering right there right now. I think he's headed to the thirty five, and he's going to get lower than thirty five and kind of arc from about and the accumulation of all of this is going to be really devastating in a lived experience for people. And so how do you see that?
Speaker 3: Look, I think you're right. I think the April market slide which was scary and created a lot of bad headlines and freaked people out and obviously damaged his poles, but it was not it was not anything that people lived experience. People weren't affected by it in their pocketbook. I mean, maybe there afore a whole and k's were affected by it, but you know, it wasn't like we were in the teeth of a recession, right. It was just a big, big warning sign from that market drop, and it absolutely the bottom fell out of his polls. To the extent that can happen for any president these days, I think you're probably saying twenty nine to thirty percent, because that's probably the sort of dead end or base that he has that will, you know, will just never say they disapprove of him. And so I think you're absolutely right that considering just the freakout of what the tariffs could do produced that kind of hit the actual ech. And remember, the market has recovered, you know, most of what it lost. Trump has not recovered most of the polling support that he lost. And so at the actual economic effects of these tariffs, which we haven't seen yet, right, that is like a storm on the horizon that every day that he keeps these tariffs uh intact, uh is more likely to uh hit landfall. So I completely agree with you if you if you read closely the what you know, small businesses, large businesses, what's happening with uh uh shipping, and just the sort of uh slow accretion of everyone preparing for especially the China tariffs. It's going to it's it's going to hit, and it's going to hit hard. And he doesn't really have, you know, uh a plan to you know, say, oh, sorry, these these tariffs are gone now. I mean they only just started talking to the to the to the Chinese this week, even though Trump said they've been in negotiations for for uh for weeks. That was an obvious lie. So I agree, you know, I I'm not a I don't make predictions about Trump and support anymore, because if you know, if I was doing that, I you know I wouldn't be very accurate. I never thought he'd be in the White House again. So I'm always, I'm always very cautious of those predictions, Steve. But I think it's an absolute fact that we have not seen the worst hit yet from these tariffs, and just the freakout last month produced his biggest his his lowest approval ratings as president.
Speaker 1: You live in wash and Ken and I'm genuinely play. I'm gonna I just had a role play for a second. I'm gonna pretend I was in the US Senate, right and I'm a Democratic senator and we're having our caucus meeting, and what I would stand up and I would say is, ladies and gentlemen, he's not having that fucking parade.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: He is not not having a Kim Jong un celebration of himself using six thousand active duty soldiers of the United States aren't forces on the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the perth of the United States Army, no right and all in and stop it, and would do whatever is necessary to obstruct the workings of government at every conceivable level, from dawn to dusk, around the clock until it stops. And I just wonder why there is not anybody in the Senate that seems to appreciate that the moving of the line two greater absurdities, two greater desecrations of tradition of restraint in a democracy and a republic. Why do we have such a contaminated.
Speaker 2: Group of leaders that nobody, with very few.
Speaker 1: Exceptions, sorry about that, seemed to understand right that some fights come to you, right and you have to meet them where they are. What is the strategic gap?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, this is going to sound like the real Washington answer, but I think you are confusing democrats in the Senate for people who actually have power and influence. And I don't I just I think there's this overestimation about what they can actually do, all right, that you know, I'm you know, not to go to bat for those guys, but I'm you know, I'm somewhat sympathetic to the argument of they've got to pick their fights, and pick fights where they can actually.
Speaker 1: For sure the nominations, can they can they stop a nomination?
Speaker 2: And for and for how long? So for example, they could do.
Speaker 3: They could do a Tubberville did last you know, in the Biden administration and hold up uh, you know, military promotions that would be related to the military parade. I'm just you know, I'm just thinking off the top of my head of what obstructionist techniques have happened.
Speaker 2: Well, everybody wants but why not.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know, I'm not I even't thought I thought this through. I think there is an argument against what Tubberville did. You remember this fight, right, Tuberville was holding up all these military promotions that just the way they get passed through the Senate is on just a big you know, uh as a big group. Well, let's think this through. If they did that, I mean, all the arguments they made against what Tubberville did would be thrown back in their face and they would say what they would say, yes, we need you know, this is necessary because it's the one tool. I'm just thinking out loud here, Steve, because you've you've you've triggered this conversation, and let's think of this through whether this would actually be politically smart to do or not. They would say, yeah, this this parade is a is a disgrace and one tool that we have is we can we can hold up these military promotions. We uh support them, we uh, but we need to make a stand here. I don't know I would that sell got wrong?
Speaker 1: Am I wrong about? I just want to make sure that I'm right about this?
Speaker 2: Right? They do?
Speaker 1: So the military promotions that were all sentate firmable appointments. Yeah, we talk that that the hold right, the hold that they can put on is on any nomination. So any senator has the ability to say I'm putting a hold on a B or C right, it's not moving forward. So if you have forty seven Democratic senators, right, forty seven different holds right, stand united on each nomine like that, they have that power to.
Speaker 2: Do that under the Senate rules.
Speaker 3: I believe because yeah, yeah, I believe so because that Tuberville was able to do that in twenty twenty three, he had blocked reading a piece here from NPR. He had blocked all military promotions, uh since since between February and December of twenty twenty three, and his he did it over objections to Pentagon abortion policy. So so that's a one that's a one man operation there. He was able to do that single handedly so could they do that? Yeah, but what what's is that gonna Is that gonna be smart politically to say?
Speaker 2: I think is.
Speaker 3: Is Trump going to care? Does he give a military promotion?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 1: Well, the point is that it's all nominees across the depth and breadth of everything everywhere, right as.
Speaker 3: But remember with other nominees you can't. I mean you can, you can, you can draw things out a little bit, but nominees are not subject to fill the filibuster anymore, right, and so there are certain things Democrats.
Speaker 2: Can do to.
Speaker 1: But they still have the power of that fold on them.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about other nominees if you're just talking about the military promotions.
Speaker 1: If you were outside, does a Democratic senator, for example, have the ability to say, now that Mike Waltz is nominated to be the un UH ambassador, No way, right, I'm putting a hold on him.
Speaker 3: They don't. They don't because once it looks he gets he goes the process for these other nominees. The basic process for judges and for Senate confirmable positions now is they go through the committee process, they go to the floor, and then it's just a majority vote. It can't be filibustered, right, And I'm not enough of a Senate guy to know why the military promotions there's something technical about that where one senator was able to hold them up. So just but there is a distinction between those two things. But on the Waltz thing, they can't do it. This guy, Ed Martin, Steve, I don't know how much you followed Ed Martin.
Speaker 2: This is a.
Speaker 3: Lunatic January sixth or who Trump wants to be the permanent US Attorney here in Washington, d C. And you know he was on a glide path until yesterday when Tom Tillis of North Carolina, Republican senator from North Carolina, who you know every one in a hundred times will break with like the absolute worst Trump policies. Till Us came out against Martin, just shocking that he's the only Republican senator on the Judiciary Committee.
Speaker 1: So this guy's a legitimate Nazi sympathizer. He's got a legitimate Nazis around him that he's done stuff with, you know, weird associations, threatening the lock opponents up, just off the wall.
Speaker 3: Look, this guy. The first thing he did as acting US Attorney was dismiss a case that the old US attorney was prosecuting, that Ed Martin, the new US attorney was the defense attorney on for a January sixth defendant. So imagine, Steve, you were suddenly given the power of a prosecutor and you were previously a defense attorney representing this January sixth defendant, and you just killed the case. So that was that was one of his first acts. He is a He was at January sixth. He has routinely described it as a day of you know, I'm paraphrasing here, you know, peace and joy and love, and obviously celebrated Trump's pardons of all the January sixth criminals. And by the way, he has absolutely zero prosecutorial experience. If by my reckoning, he was perhaps in the in the top three, but maybe number one in terms of the most disturbing Trump nominees if you get past like you know, Tulsea and RFK and some of these others, but he was in that pantheon and you know, Pambody, but really really scary because this guy was going to be the US attorney for Washington, d C. Where there is a just target rich environment of people and institutions that this White House hates and we were looking at you know, so right now because Tom Tillis did the right thing and said, you know, I'm not a big fan of January sixth sympathizers. It looks like Ed Martin's nomination is dead. Uh, he's still current, he's still the acting US Attorney, but it's going to expire, uh in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 3: That's one to watch because Trump wants this guy in that position, and I don't think he's gonna make it now, but he you never know, who knows if Trump goes to the wall for this guy and they find a way to get him to the floor, but they don't have the votes in the Judiciary Committee right now to get him out. And I don't think uh, Senate Republican leaders really want to, you know, send him to the floor absent a committee vote. But it's you know, it's still it's still possible. But he's someone that your your viewers should keep an eye on because he's just an absolute worst of the worst in terms of being unqualified and having views that are just so out of step with what you would want in a in a US attorney. So anyway, right we gotta. I've got to brush up on Senate procedure for next time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because my, my, because my fundamental question right, because it's definitely entwined with the politics right of the moment is and I honestly don't know the answer to the quack, which is, you can't filibuster a nominee, but a whole is different than a felibuster.
Speaker 3: You can fill it. You can filibuster the way that like Corey Booker did, but like you.
Speaker 4: Know, not.
Speaker 1: In an old school sense. Right, the rules changed and I got that you.
Speaker 3: Hold the floor if you want to do it, you got to hold the floor the way Corey Booker did recently. And so there's a human limit to that.
Speaker 1: But still I wonder if there is a and I have to find this out, which is does the senator still have the power to stop a process?
Speaker 3: They don't. They don't, they don't. You would have you would have seen it done with Tulca Gabbard and r F k and Pam Bondy. They don't have that power anymore. You can, you can delay things, but the majority in the Senate will get a nominee to the floor and vote it on. If eventually, so you can you can delay things, but you can't permanently hold them up. I mean that's what we would, you know, call a filibuster. The talking filibuster still exists, and we saw Corey Booker use it recently. But you gotta you gotta do that. Uh you know, there's only so many hours you can actually uh do that.
Speaker 1: Do you assass do you assess straight cagically that in the strategy room, that the strategy is maximalist, that this is your we are one hundred percent obstructionist. This is one hundred percent of the time to assert our maximum amount of inherent power, as the article one is.
Speaker 3: This is where I think you're getting out with these questions, and that the answer to that is clearly no. Right, it's clearly no. And you know, if you talk to the real nerds of Senate procedure, you know they'll give you a list of things you could do every single day if you want, if you wanted to. And you're absolutely right that the Democrats in the Senate are not there. They are not there, and they're not there because of one person, you know, Chuck Schumer. He you know that's not what he wants to be doing.
Speaker 2: I want to.
Speaker 1: Talk to you at another point in time on a disparate tangent of this, before we get into your conversation with Judge Ludik about what.
Speaker 2: I feel and know, and.
Speaker 1: I think it's chiefly true in the moment, is really the fundamental corruption of the American bar in this country. And I think your story got right out that, right, and your long form about the abuse that you went through, the abuse that so many journalists are being threatened with right now in litigation, the capitulance of all these big law firms, their hollowness, their sleaziness, they're transactional scumbaggery, all of it. Right, And so one of the reforms right for democrats, I think that bar associations, right, should be filled with non lawyer, certified professionals that are bound by a fiduciary responsibility, by a code of conduct. So, for example, you have a couple of doctors on the Bar Association board. You have a couple psychologists, right, anybody who has a fiduciary trust. You have some accountants, right, you have a certified board member training. But lawyers should not be judging other lawyers because in the obvious aftermath if any of these legal codes of ethics mean anything, and people like Pambondi and Marco Rubio and others are going to be disbarred over the next over the next decade, right as it winds out through a process, through some of the illegalities of actions. Because I believe the Constitution is the law of the land, and it's immutable, less amended, and that we will prevail here, and that what's happening is, though an abomination, not unprecedented.
Speaker 2: Our lifetime. But I wanted to just.
Speaker 1: Ask you the highlight of Judge Ludic's comments, write a pre eminent conservative jurist, why don't you tell us a little bit about Judge Ludig, who he is, why he matters, and really the crux of what he said today.
Speaker 3: Well, I bet a lot of our viewers will will remember Judge Lutig from his testimony before the January sixth Committee in June twenty twenty two. He gave an incredibly powerful statement that day and has been someone who grew up on the American right, the judicial right, the federalist society right, someone who knows all of the most famous jurists in that movement, socially, personally, I'm talking about the justice Thomases of the world. You know this, This is someone who clerked for Scalia. This is someone who Ted Cruz once said. Ted Cruz worked for Judge Lutig. Ted Cruz once said that he wishes George W. Bush had appointed or nominated Lootig to the Supreme Court instead of John Roberts. In other words, that was Cruse's statement of saying John Roberts was too liberal. We should have had a real conservative like Michael Ludig. And you know, Michael lud to his great great credit, has been clear eyed about the threat that Trump represents to democracy from the beginning. I think he's someone who has become more and more outspoken over time, peaking with his public testimony in twenty twenty two before the January sixth Committee. And he's written a piece that's coming out this week that is going to be just explosive. And I've known Looted for a while now, and we were talking and he started previewing the piece with me, and he was kind enough to come on Substack Live with me this afternoon and take me through what he's going to say in this article. And I'm going to start at the end of our interview Steve, because I just think this line from Lootig, given his pedigree and his history, it just kind of unsettled me because I asked at the end, you know, you know what, what's your level of optimism that things will get better and you know, we'll you're back on course here, and he was pretty pessimistic, and he said this, He said, it would be impossible to say after Donald Trump's first one hundred days in office that America has a government of laws, not of men. You know, this is a guy who spent fifteen years as a federal judge dealing with some of the most complicated cases, especially in the wake of nine to eleven, deeply serious person, and for him to reach that conclusion is it's it's shocking, it's astonishing, it's frightening. And I don't think our current media environment and our current you know, public forums about what's going on have grappled with this kind of core act of the lawlessness that people like Luting see in Trump. I think people don't, you know, people are still in denial about it. And I want to let me just go through his sort of like main paragraph in this piece, and I might just read the whole thing, Steve. You can cut me off. It goes on too long. Please just this paragraph, which is going to blow up the internet. We're getting a preview of it here compliments of looting. But this piece is gonna blow up there.
Speaker 1: Let me let me just say everybody before you before you do it, right, you find Ryan Keellos t E l O S.
Speaker 2: Look up that word.
Speaker 1: It will take you down a enlightening path of some philosophical understanding. But uh go to Tellos, Uh subscribe to Ryan. Follow him there he's doing some great stuff. And over to you.
Speaker 2: Ryan. I'm looking forward to reading this.
Speaker 3: I liked Jeffrey Clark's comment there. He got the pun tell Us tell Us news. All right, this is all right to be serious here. Now this is from this is from Ludig's piece. This is him writing. This piece isn't out yet. We're getting We're getting a sneak peek here. We're not one of his signature initiatives during his first one hundred days in office. Does Donald Trump even have the authority under the Constitution and laws of the United States, And now he starts listing these signature initiatives not for the crippling global tariffs he ordered unilaterally. Not for his unlawful deportations of hundreds of immigrants to El Salvador Squalid maximum security prison. Not for his deportation of US citizens to Honduras. Not for his defiantly corrupt vow and order from the Great Hall of the Department of Justice to weaponized the Department against his personal political enemies. Not for his evil executive orders against the nation's law firms and lawyers in personal vendetta for their representation of his political enemies and clients of whom he personally disapproves. Not for his corrupt executive orders against honorable American citizens and former officials of his own administration Chris Krebs and Miles Taylor, a former DHS chief of staff who dared criticize Trump anonymously during his first term. Not for his unlawful bludgeoning of the nation's colleges and universities with unconstitutional demands that they surrender their governance of billions of dollars of congressionally approved funds, or his politically motivated threats to revoke tax exemptions. Not for his attempt to alter the rules of federal elections. Not for his direct assault on the Fourteenth Amendment's birthright citizenship guarantee, not for his mass firings of federal employees, not for Elon Musk and DOJ's ravaging of the federal government, not for his threats to fire Federal Reserve Board Chairman J Powell, not for his unconstitutional attacks on press freedoms, and finally, not for his appalling arrest of Judge Hannah Dugan. Yet I counted that there's there's basically sixteen policies he mentions in there, and he's not just like riffing through this, you know, to be cute. These are the inner sixteen policies that he goes through and explains as a as a judge would why they have no foundation in law or authority under the Constitution. And I don't know, just blew me away reading this and listening to him go through that, because I think so much of the conversation is, you know, partly that you know, Trump's bad and things suck, but so much of the media coverage of this is like, you know, Trump, did you know crazy thing X. It's being challenged in the courts, but it's this kind of both sides ism without any clear statement of yeah, that was that's illegal, Like we don't need a lawyer to tell us like that's illegal, like uh, the you know, birthright citizenship, like we can read we can all read the fourteenth Amendment. And so I think the power of looting and his conversation with me today and this piece that's coming is just stepping back looking at the last hundred days days of the most important things that Trump did and explaining only like a federal judge can that the rule of law has just evaporated when it comes to this president. And this has been one hundred days of lawlessness in his view. And I've known looted for a while. Well, he's not hyperbolic. He's a really serious guy. And it took him a while to sort of, I think, get dragged into the to and fro of politics, and it's not comfortable for someone like him, like a federal judge. And this is to me the most important statement I've seen by someone of his reputation and credentials on the right explaining the lawlessness of the president. And you know, he concludes with what I started with, you know, it should be impossible to say, it would be impossible to say after Donald Trump's first hundred days in office that America has a government of laws, not of men. So pretty depressing, pretty unsettling.
Speaker 2: Sure is.
Speaker 1: A real time of testing ahead for the contrary, no doubt about it whatsoever. That's really an astonishing paragraph. Thank you for reading it, and again, everybody on we have one thousand, five hundred Americans who could be doing a lot of things tonight and more. We'll see it when we release it. You can find Ryan to tell us support good independent journalism, because I want to tell you what I see at a at a strategic level, what I observe in terms of assessing the fight ahead, and it's it's this that.
Speaker 2: Survivor episodes. They are television reality.
Speaker 1: Show episodes, maliced and toxic, but they are all laid out on a foundation of that the impossible could be. So we saw a glimpse of that yesterday during the Canadian insanity. Never say never, and the answer is never right. Donald Trump may sell the Oval office, but the Canadian people aren't never going to sell out their country to Donald Trump, so right off the table, never never, ever, fucking ever right, So it's not going to happen. Just like the first Amendment is not debatable, just like the Fifth Amendment, the Fourth Amendment, the fourteenth Amendment. None of these things are debatable. The eighth Amendment is not debatable, right, It is not at the whim.
Speaker 2: Of Donald Trump. Right.
Speaker 1: The exists in perpetuity, and it exists in a form that though it can be amended, it cannot be trifled with by whim. And so that proposition is being tested by really two forces combining.
Speaker 2: And it is the profit.
Speaker 1: The money changers, however you wish to see it in the temple of democracy, that are complicit in the production of the sixth show that imagines he has the actual power.
Speaker 2: That he does not have.
Speaker 1: And this is fundamental right that any reporting right that disseminates right, some of the biggest newsrooms in the country that posit hey, can he do this when he can't on something that doesn't need interpretation constitutionally, they become complicit in the gaslighting of the country for profit.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And so we see then that plus the capitulations right to get in line instinct right, cowardice in the in the Senate, and so in the totality of what Judge Ludic is observing, right, he's pushing forward into a very complex society where we have a lot of elasticity, more than most people imagine. Right before he sinks into the sand and into the quagmire on this because the American people are slow to anger and slower to get involved in fights. But when we do, and the American people are judging by the size of the protests and the building consequences, Like, what I don't get, right, is there's something that's happened over the last fifteen years in the society. Right, I'm fifty four, that's been a change, right that I very successful guy.
Speaker 2: Brilliant guy. We're talking about the.
Speaker 3: See I lost you when you said, right before a brilliant guy. Was it some who were you talking about?
Speaker 1: I was talking about a friend of mine that I was talking kid, right, brilliant brilliant guy today, right, and and it and this kind of trait in the society, right, and this is the part that I don't get. And we're talking about what's coming with the with the loss of shipping, right as these right ships that are coming right with not with anything on them. When it's and he's like and he and his response to it was, well, we'll see and I said, well, it's not we'll see we we know, right, it takes a month for the ship to get here. You can you can look at data people follow this, right, it's all transparent what's flowing around the world, and it's all in a state of collapse. I said, what I don't know understand. I said, if you if you and I were like, it's standing at the ocean's edge, right, and the hurricane was coming right, and we're standing there with a beer, right, you know, and it's like time to go inside. And I'd be like, the hurricane is coming, And would you say, we'll see right or do you know the hurricane is coming?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And I don't understand the interpretive aspect that is dominated in the media narrative, where there's an inability to assert right, what's happening in the moment with the clarity that Ludig did it. But the fact that Ludig did it, there is clarity now around what is happening that there should be points of agreement on. That is why those type of interviews, in these type of long form formats are so important in this In this moment.
Speaker 3: I love that phrase. This interpretive well is interpretive instinct interpreted with the whatever it was that the gist of this like endlessly, Uh, this is a this is a media, you know, Achilles Heel, you know, so many of you know, and I've been there. You know, I'm guilty of this myself. There's so much you know, there's so much weight placed on clever analysis and clever interpretations and counterintuitive takes. And you know, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I love I love a good contrarian, counterintuitive take, but it gets it gets pushed to the extremes where there's this sort of unwillingness to just state clearly the sort of not that there aren't complications in these things, not that there aren't uh you know, uh other views to platform and to privilege, but there's just this unwillingness to be really plain about what's going on, you know, just to be like the fourteenth Amendment says what it says, you know, and the you know, a lot of journalists don't like to play lawyers because you know, they think everything's up for interpretation when it comes to the law. But you could read a lot of statutes and just get the plain meaning. And there's just this like in the corporate media. There's just this obsession with everything has to have two sides, and if Trump does something, then there's got to be an equally good and smart argument for it, and you know, just report out the debate. And it's just like blinding to a lot of media institutions these days who don't realize that these traditional conventions of journalism are being used against the media and the media's obsession with uh, with with overinterpreting, over interpreting everything, and you know, giving the benefit of the doubt to the loudest political actor when when they when they do something, it's all being weaponized against them. They are these media conventions that serve really important purposes, but they're failing us now because there they should be at the service of our principles.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I always think of this as like we have two things in my business. We have our conventions and we have our principles. The conventions flow from the principles. If the conventions aren't any longer uh privileging the principles, then what the fuck is the point of the conventions? And so that that's where a lot of journalists who came up in the traditional system are going wrong. There they have this like anachronistic attachment to both sides ism and these old school journalists conventions and anything that states clearly that one side is doing something more wrong than the other side. They just it seems uncomfortable to them. That can't be the case. That means they're they're biased or or somehow partisan. And so it's a huge, huge problem, Steve, and it's it's preventing the public from seeing a lot of this clearly. And that's why when you, as you point out, when you when you see someone like an expert like Looting put this all together in one place, it's like, yeah, why why can't other people just make that case? Why can't they just say that clearly? And you know, look, that's one of the one of the things I love about leaving that world being on sub stack. And you know, there's a reason this platform and the journalists, a lot of them come through your show here. It's the reason why it's booming, and it's reason why people who are hungry for to get out of the corporate media bullshit are coming here and looking for independent journalists. And so I appreciate you pushing at a lot of those voices. It means a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm happy to do it. We have a budding economic calamity. We have a rule of law calamity. We have a growing international crisis. We have theater of the absurd in the Oval Office, the hoodies are surrendering and a couple hours later they're firing missiles. We've had four incidents on the Harry Truman in the last month. We've lost another seventy million dollar F eighteen that rolled off the deck of the Truman yesterday. But we now see this crisis between India and Pakistan, both nuclear powers, that is that is escalating. You know, Donald Trump was incoherent talking about that. We have a moral crisis in that we have a real issue with an out of control jack boot federal agency that is acting like American Gestapo, not American law enforcement. It's unacceptable, it's outrageous, and that Tom Homan for sure will be packed up on the American whole of villainy someday of that, I have no doubt, like all of these people, but in this in this moment, you have a lot of stories, and you have thirty nine Democrats Senator sign a letter demanding insight and oversight over these detention facilities, including foreign black sites, where people are being shipped, attained and apparently, according to reports, profoundly mistreated.
Speaker 2: And this.
Speaker 1: Is a fundamental issue, and this is the core issue that John McCain cared about, right. This was John McCain was the foremost champion of our age in many many ways, for human rights, for prisoners of conscience, prisoners of war, detainees in American custody, that they be treated with humanity. And the McCain argument was that what makes us exception was though that we could do it to them, we will not because we are Americans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And the place between the Bush administration and detainee abuses in John McCain when.
Speaker 1: The years this is what I'm writing about tomorrow, and wrote about this extensively and with his writing partner, really his brother Mark Salter, talked about this not as a political issue but a fundamental moral issue. It defines who we are. Right, the idea that the American flag would be viewed as a symbol of fear by a twenty six year old Canadian actress trying to cross the American frontier doing nothing wrong at all, and the sinister nature of the threats by the Vice President with Christy Nome, the sadism, the cruelty, where there's an embrace of a policy, we're the most powerful amongst us have taken the license to persecute the least amongst us with the cruelties of the meanest amongst us. And it is a abomination that John McCain would have thunderously dissented from from the floor of the United States Senate and would have argued with the deepest passion about the affront to the fundamental values of the country. And so as we're moving ahead right into this political season, one of the things is we begin to wrap up the hour. Ryan and I are going to get together once a week in the evening, and we're gonna We're.
Speaker 2: Gonna talk a lot of politics.
Speaker 1: And one of the things I want to do is take everybody inside, right the type of conversations that take place behind the scenes between like say, presidential level political strategists and UH and a top level journalist about how do you see the field ahead? What is the pathway of these candidates in the Democratic primary? And I just want to close it out and say one thing before I turn it over to Ryan and I just want to give everybody a point of view to think about with regard with regard to opposition, I think that one of the dumbest things that I've ever heard is the dismissal of the energy and the necessity of the protests that are being led by Bernie Sanders and by AOC. And it is important to listen to the merit of what they are saying and to meet them not through the prism of the label, because none of these labels mean anything to me anymore. There are people who appreciate this dangerous moment, as Judge Ludig does right, and they're or in defense of something that is sublime that belongs to all of us. So what I would say is, for example, I don't know that I would ever vote for AOC, but I forevermore will be in AOC and Bernie Sanders' supporter, And I'm a supporter of theirs because I admire their leadership, and I admire their courage, and I admire their vision of being able to see that what has developed, what has manifested, is something deeply sinister and insidious, and that the fundamental choice is grounded in liberty, and so the people that are on the front line of this right, that are enunciating a moral prism that explains what's happened, and whether it's Bishop Barber, I will have my friend Ryan Bucy on. And so when you think about coalitions, right, Ryan Busey was the Democratic candidate from the state of Montana. And we're gonna be talking about public lands, I want you to think about my friend Grove, who are going on every Monday into the Capitol to do moral Mondays and pray. And each Monday, Capitol police have arrested different ministers for praying in there. Cowboys in the West and black ministers together are powerful combination, right, because what they share in common as brothers and sisters, right is a recognition of what's right and what's wrong. And so when you look at the detainees in American custody, the mistreat that has been documented, the Senate investigation, the economic calamity, the international crises that are building, the rule of law crisis, we're in one of the great crises in the history of the United States. Everybody, and it's going to require acts of citizenship. It's gonna require you to be involved. It's going to require you to demand, demand compliance with the cornerstones of our civilization, all of them invested deeply in the Constitution of the United States.
Speaker 2: So we.
Speaker 1: Spare anything else you want to talk about with regard to tell us how you see it in DC and talk about the next couple of weeks while you tell us thank you so much trying for joining all of us tonight.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you. I'm very excited to do this with you every week. You're just judging from the comments, your audience is terrific. I think our two audiences are gonna get along well. Please subscribe at tell us dot news.
Speaker 2: That's T. E.
Speaker 3: L O S. Dot News. I think your point about AOC and Bernie is really really good. And Steve, I've known you. I don't know if you remember this or not, but we first met during the two thousand and eight McCain campaign. You were on the bus. I was a younger reporter back then. I remember your fans will get a kick out of this, Steve. You know, back in two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight, the technology was a little clunky and you used to wear like a big bluetooth thing on your in your ear. You know, you had about the same amount of hair as you have now. And I think I said this to your face. I hope I didn't just say this like a like a jer to other reporters, but I used to say, uh, God, I hope I'm remembering this correctly. That that Steve reminded me of that the Star Wars character Labbots, which is a kind of uh, that's a very he had a very small role in uh. And I think the secondar I can't remember it now, but some of the Star Wars nerds will will remember who lab it is. But he was a ball guy with a big headset on it. And anyway, Uh, someone in the comments said that Steve Schmidt is someone you want in a fox hole with you, and I can tell you from personal experience that that is true. And so I'm excited that we're going to do this every every week.
Speaker 2: Steve.
Speaker 3: On your point about aoc and and Bernie and you know, UH kind of went sideways here, But I met you in a Republican primary and it's fascinating to hear you say that. And I think it goes for a lot of journalists too. There's UH, journalists have to get used to being comfortable with the act that when the rule of law is under attack in this country, it's not a both sides issue, and you're not partisan just because you happen to line up with the folks who are pointing out that we shouldn't have people trying to tear down democracy and that the rule of law is pretty fucking important. And maybe just one last thing I'll throw out here is a great quote from Lootig. I remember his testimony in June twenty twenty two, and I remember reading it, and this quote always stuck with me. He said America can withstand attacks on her democracy from without, he is helpless to withstand them from within. And I think the project of the pro democracy.
Speaker 2: Movement.
Speaker 3: I'm not very comfortable talking about movements. I'm a journalist, but it's it's not partisan or it doesn't violate any of the conventions of my business to be proudly pro democracy and to realize when there are actors in this country that are trying to attack democracy from within, that's when we need the press at its fiercest, it's most fearless and honest and calling that ship out. And you know, so, I thank you for for for everything that you said to support the project that I've embarked on, and I'm looking forward to doing this every week with you.
Speaker 2: Man. I want to thank you for that. Rod. I do want to say one one last thing I lied.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna take back the last word, because you inspired me to observe something which is which is this. I'm gonna tell you what I saw when I say Stevean Miller peering over the couch, when I see a Christy gnome doing her sycophanic dance, when I see her little Iikemans and the man who interrogated Adolph Iikeman was named Avner Less. He was a German Jew, lost his family in the camps and he emigrated to Israel.
Speaker 2: He was a police captain.
Speaker 1: He hid that fact, but he spent about two hundred and seventy five hours in the room of Iikeman. Never talked about it to nineteen eighty one. Nineteen eighty one, he's asked a question about whether his time with Adolph Iikeman had left an impression on him, and his answer to that question was it did that. It gave him his faith in democracy because there are Adolph Hikmans everywhere all around us. Surrounded by them, he said, But they're perfectly harmless in a democracy, but in his dictatorship of the left or the right, they turn deadly in an instant. And that's what these people are. Howard Lutnik is a little likeman. Christy Nolman is a Littleikman. Karen Levitt is a Littleikman. This is a gaggle of little Aikman's. And we are watching their snarling menace, their teeth, bearing down, growing arrogant, more confident. As the destruction they're doing is building, their approvals are declining, and so we're on a collision course between principle and mayhem, between chaos and democracy, and the American citizen will have to defend the republic. And it's not for the first time. And the reality is there is no end of history there. And the great lesson that will pass down to our children their grandchildren is there may come a day of peace and prosperity when everyone looks the technology and the events in the world and all seems good and well, like it did at the year two thousand and people will say it's the end of something, in the beginning of a paradise, But that's an illusion. And that people mistake quiet for peace, and that's what happened. But now we are in the crisis. We're in one of the great American crises in the history of the country. As Ulysses Grant observed, there are people that are faithful to the project, to the cause of the American Revolution. There are people who have turned treacherous towards it. Those are the two sides in American politics. And within those two sides, there are appeasers and there are fighters. And this is a moment where you have to be a fighter. So it'll be for Mickey Charroll in New Jersey running for governor, for Joscelyn Benson in Michigan, Abigail Spamberger in Virginia. These important people who are rising in the Democratic Party of fighting spirit and there remort. We'll talk about them. I want to thank everybody for joining us tonight. Thank you all. Stay in the fight, be engaged.
Speaker 2: We will win.
Speaker 1: There will be no civil war, but there's gonna be an epic period of contestation and peaceful protest, a moral fight.
Speaker 2: Good night to you all, came night everyone.
Speaker 3: Thanks Steve.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Schmidt. This is the warning.
Speaker 1: I invite you to join this community where I promise to be honest, blunt, and direct about what is happening in this country. America is in crisis. Follow and subscribe to this channel and on substack. Thank you,