Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, It's Tuesday, May twenty seventh, or back to work day for a lot of you out there.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Morning Run.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ. Holmes and on the Tuesday Morning Run. This morning, a mini van mows down a crowd of people who had gathered for a victory celebration injuring fifty.
Speaker 1: The French president is trying to explain that shove now seen around the world. Cameras catching his wife apparently hitting him in the face as the door to their plane opens in front of waiting members of the media.
Speaker 3: Also rip to a legendary lawmaker, longtime New York Congressman Charlie Rangel, has died at the age of ninety four. Also this morning, three more escaped inmates from that New Orleans jail break have been captured.
Speaker 1: Two to go, and the third week of the Sewan did Heycomb's trial resumes today after taking a break for the Memorial Day holiday. Plus, singer Billy Joel announces he's canceling the rest of his tour for the summer as he recovers from a brain condition.
Speaker 3: Also this morning, a man decides to go for a sixty mile swim in shark infested waters for Memorial Day, and not just any shark infested waters, the home of Jaws. Also, j Lo turns the American Music Awards into a kissing booth last night, and our opening performance wasn't the only shocker of the evening.
Speaker 1: Plus a big congratulations to singer Demi Levado who got married over the weekend. And the age old question coke or pepsi? Apparently it isn't even a question anymore? Is pepsi fizzling out?
Speaker 3: But I'm bomb? Okay? See, I thought it was solid. You didn't have to do the but dumb bomb. We embraced that. You were embracing the joke, the bad, bad joke.
Speaker 2: You just told me it was just punny, punny joke.
Speaker 3: I just told Buddy, embraced it. It's all good. But we will get into that in just a little bit. We have to start through this morning the run over in Liverpool, England, where a fifty three year old British man has been arrested for driving his vehicle into a crowd that was celebrating their football team's Premier League victory. He injured. Nearly fifty people, including four children. Twenty seven folks had to go to the hospital.
Speaker 1: According to officials, three adults and one child actually had to be pulled from underneath the suspect's vehicle. Police have not given a motive for the attack, but they did say it was not an act of terrorism. British Prime Minister Keir Starmer posted this on social media. The scenes in Liverpool are appalling. My thoughts are with all those injured or affected. And when you see the images and even the video of the aftermath of what happened, it's remarkable no one died, so that is at least for now. I believe four people who are considered seriously injured. But again no casualties, thankfully, but so many injuries.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a high rate of speed I suppose as he was going through We saw the scene of course New Years in New Orleans, where that person clearly had intent as they were mowing through the crowd. This one was going slower. They say no terrorism. That at least you breathe a sigh of relief. But what was going on was their medical emergency? What was the problem in the car?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they still have to figure it out. They say they are doing.
Speaker 1: You know, they're going to be interviewing this man and obviously going through the scene. But right now they have not given any indication as to how or why this happened.
Speaker 3: And you've been looking at this a little more than I have this morning, also not saying whether or not at all if it was an intentional act. Correct, right, correct, All right, we will continue our run here this morning. Next leg takes us to Vietnam, where there's been a geoplanetary catastrophe. That's how French President Emmanuel Macaron is sarcastically describing a private moment between him and his wife that the whole world saw and robe the whole world is talking and debating about this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is tough. So here's what happened.
Speaker 1: Macrone had just landed in Vietnam and was about to do that customary presidential walk down the steps from his plane.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the problem.
Speaker 1: When the plane door opens, you see Macron standing inside the plane and talking to someone who's off to the side. A moment later, you then see his wife's hands come into frame and shove Macron in the face.
Speaker 3: Yes, Brigitte, his wife pushes him in the face. She uses both hands. It looks like at least one hand caught him clearly on the face and his head. Jerk's back. Now. Macrone, realizing that the door had opened and that he was probably on camera, quickly gave a quick smile after he was shoved and scuttled out of frame. It looked like a to be honest with you, looked like a little kid who had just got caught doing something.
Speaker 2: He had a shocked look on his face.
Speaker 3: Initially, yes he did. Now moments after that happened. Yes, the two did fully emerge in front of cameras and they walk down those steps together.
Speaker 1: Notably though they were not holding hands TJ people have pointed that out, so perhaps you know, she wasn't too.
Speaker 2: Happy with him, or vice versa. The quick video quickly went viral.
Speaker 1: In fact, it's been slow mode and paused and zoomed in on if you want to take a look at it. It was in all the papers back in France. That's all they could talk about. Did the French president just get smacked by his wife in the middle of a domestic dispute that was caught on camera. That is the question. But the answer, according to the French president is no. He came out later and said they were just playing around. Here's what he said, and we'll quote him here. We are bickering. I don't know how much that's playful, but we are bickering and joking with my wife, and a video becomes a sort of geoplanetary catastrophe.
Speaker 3: It wasn't just him that was on camera. He made some comments to reporters, but his office put an official statements saying, quote, it was a moment where the president and his wife were decompressing one last time before the start of the trip by horsing around. Would you let me get through this? In quote. They went on to call this a moment of complicity, meaning that conspiracy theorists now have some ammunition. Two issues and one raw. You're snickering. Bickering got me and de compressing got me as two words that make me scratch my head to go in.
Speaker 1: They don't go They don't pair well with joking and horsing around. There is a very different sentiment to bickering and to decompressing. That doesn't sound like a positive thing.
Speaker 2: Yet, when you're saying.
Speaker 1: You're joking and horsing around, that seems playful and fun. I don't think there was anything playful or.
Speaker 2: Fun about what we saw.
Speaker 3: I don't know if something got lost in translation with from French to English. Is bickering actually the right word? That would it mean? Maybe? I'm only saying maybe, But when you see the shove there is I'm sorry. This is not a matter of being subjective. He was shoved pretty significantly to his head and he jerked back. Whether they were playing around, couples do it, brothers and sisters do it? I mean, it happens, I don't know, But looking at it, it looked like a serious shove to the head.
Speaker 1: It looked like she was angry at him, and they were, in fact, yes, bickering, and she went she took it too far and it got caught on camera.
Speaker 3: If that's the case, and hey, what do you do with that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just think this is one of those moments where, yes, being a little bit more transparent might go a long way. Know what, because we all know what we saw, So to tell us what we saw was something different than what we saw, that's the problem.
Speaker 3: Only reason we're still talking about, yeah, is because of that. You're right, all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run the passing of a Congressional legend to tell you about former US Congressman from Harlem, New York, Charles we know alm Ass. Charlie Wrangele has died at the age of ninety four.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Congressman wrangle was the founding member of the Congressional Black Caucus and a Korean War vet. Was awarded both the Purple Heart and Bronze Star for his service. He served in Congress for forty seven years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I didn't know that. I didn't know he had the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.
Speaker 2: That was cool to hear.
Speaker 1: He began his congressional career back in nineteen seventy one and over the next four decades. Yeah, he made quite a name for himself. He was the dean of the newer Congressional Delegation and the first African American to chair the Powerful Ways and Means Committee. He ultimately stepped down from that committee back in twenty after he was censured by the House for ethics violations.
Speaker 3: He continued to serve in Congress over the next seven years until his retirement in twenty seventeen. His family confirmed his passing saying he died at a hospital here in New York. His death follows the death of the love of his life, Alma, who also passed away at the age of ninety four last October. They met at the legendary so War Ballroom in Harlem back in the nineteen fifties. And yes, he did have that stain on his resume with those ethics violations, but going back to his youth and in his military record, this man served. I was just decades and decades and decades.
Speaker 1: In this country exactly. He was of service. And I loved when I read that about his wife. I had to put that in because I think so often we focus on someone's career and their accomplishments. But that sounded to me like one of the most beautiful parts of his life was the love story he had with his wife. And they do leave behind two children. And it's funny, I said, several grandchildren.
Speaker 2: There must be too many to count. I don't know. That was my takeaway from that.
Speaker 3: They didn't want to leave anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run, we're going to head to New Orleans, where police have recaptured three more escaped inmates.
Speaker 2: Bringing the total to eight.
Speaker 1: Count two still on the run, and two of the recaptured inmates were actually found more than three hundred miles away in Houston, Texas, after police say they were forwarded a collateral lead. The other inmate was found in Baton Rouge.
Speaker 3: So you know by now, ten inmates got out of the jail. This was eleven days ago now. They ripped a toilet off the wall, climbed through the hole behind it, and got out of there. At least nine people have been arrested and charged in connection with helping the inmates in one way, form or fashion, either during or after their escape, including the jail maintenance worker who police say turned off the water to the toilet, which allowed the inmates to rip that toilet off the wall and then get away in a hole. The inmate, of course, the maintenance worker, of course, Ropes was just doing his job.
Speaker 1: Oh of course he was just you know, there was an overflowing toilet in a nearby cell. It just was coincidence, a little bigkuinkidink, all right. Jail surveillance video shows the inmates escaping around one am on May sixteenth, but jail officials weren't aware they were missing until more than seven hours later. A US Marshall described the two men who were made on the loose as extremely dangerous. That's an upgrade from what we heard before, and added that they could be quote unquote anywhere.
Speaker 3: Previously, they kept saying that they seemed to be all in the New Orleans and area and staying in the area, maybe trying to get out, and guess some of them did.
Speaker 2: They got out and yeah, pretty far away.
Speaker 3: All right, we will continue our run now. The next leg brings us back here to Manhattan, where the Diddy trial will resume after taking a break for the long holiday weekend, and as much of the Salatia's back and forth in the headlines, anytime there is a moment of levity in court, like to bring it to you. But the judge was telling the jurors, of course they're not sequestered, but don't talk to anybody about the trial. He told them, instead, watch the Knicks avenge their loss. So he gave them those instructions.
Speaker 2: And sure enough they did, which was kind of amazing.
Speaker 1: Maybe the judge could make more requirements of the jury to do that, maybe even for this evening with the next play again, anyway. This is the third full week of the trial. Testimonies expected to continue this morning with Sean Combe's former assistant taking the stand.
Speaker 2: The prosecution has called.
Speaker 1: Sixteen witnesses so far and contends, hey, they're running right on time. They expect to wrap up their case by the fourth of July, but then, of course the defense will take on their side of things.
Speaker 3: All right, we will continue our run here with news about Billy Joel. He has canceled his tour for the rest of the summer after announcing he has a brain condition. The condition is called normal pressure hydrocephalis and is treatable, but Joel says he's suffering with hearing, vision and balance issues that are being made worse by the performing.
Speaker 1: So he says, yeah, his doctors have asked him to take it easy, to focus on his physical therapy so he can return to the stage one day soon. That's what we got in terms of timing. Joel posted to his fans on social media that he is sincerely sorry to disappoint our audience and thanks them for understanding. Both Joel's current wife and his ex wife, Christy Brinkley, all took to social media supporting the piano man and thanking fans for the outpouring of love and well wishes that they have been sending Joel's way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't done a deep dive on this condition, but they speak as if he can recover from it and possibly perform.
Speaker 2: Yes, there was a surgery you have to have done.
Speaker 1: It's basically about pressure in the back of your brain that builds and really affects your ability to Yeah, if you can't see well, if you can't hear well, if you if you can't balance well, you should not be up on stage. So he finally had to pull back from that. But man, I was looking for tickets for Annalis because he is one of her favorites. And I actually saw he was coming to City Field. I got excited, and now they've canceled.
Speaker 2: All of it. So we'll wait for his return and hope for the best.
Speaker 3: We me do I Madison Square Garden, it seems like and he sells out like just ten shows.
Speaker 1: Yes, they and it speaks to his unbelievable draw that a nineteen year old girl is begging her mom to take her to the Billy Joel concert. And I would love to go because he was one of my favorites coming up. So yes, we hope he recovers fully and is back on stage soon.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll stay with us here on this Tuesday morning. Ron When we come back, a man decides to take a sixty mile swim in the waters where Jaws lives. Also coming up the American Music Awards last night, and at the top of the show, you'll get a kiss. You'll get a kiss. You'll get a kiss. That's from j Lo. Also coke or pepsi? Pepsi ain't even in this conversation anymore. The next leg of our run maybe is a swim. A swim around Martha's vineyard. Yes, that is where a fifty five year old man became the first person ever to swim around the Massachusetts Island. He's an endurance athlete by the name of Lewis Pugh. He finished the sixty plus mile swim took him twelve days, finished on Memorial Day, and he had actually Ropes a mission in mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said he wanted to raise awareness about the plight of sharks all time with the movie Jaws fiftieth anniversary that happens next month. Can you believe it came out June twentieth nineteen seventy five. Well Pugh began his swim at the Edgartown Lighthouse, which is the town where the film was originated from. Edgerton was depicted as Amity Island.
Speaker 2: But get this.
Speaker 1: He had to have safety personnel in a boat next to him with a shark shield device.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're gonna have to help me with this. The device created a low intensity electric field in the water to keep sharks away from pew without harming the sharks. Before he jumped in, he said, Jaws was a film about sharks attacking humans, and for fifty years we have been attacking sharks. It's madness. We need to respect them. Now if he's raising an issue about the plight of sharks, and they're not our enemy and they're are friends. But I'm going to swim around with the device to make sure these sharks don't hurt me.
Speaker 1: He added, I'm not saying that it's safe to swim with sharks. I'm not saying that it's safe to do what I'm doing. He actually said that, so it's kind of interesting. But he wants people not to look at them as villains.
Speaker 3: So don't jump in the water with a device to protect you from.
Speaker 2: Them, exactly.
Speaker 1: I thought when I saw that detail was kind of buried in some of the stories, like, wait, this is actually fairly significant. He actually had to do what he did with the device to keep the sharks away from him, which to me kind of disproves the point he's trying to make.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're laughing about this a little. And obviously you should not be in the water with a great white shark. Obviously you should.
Speaker 1: And by the way, you know that just like, was it a week or two ago they had the first sighting of They always have great whites in this area, but this one was a mammoth.
Speaker 2: I showed you the picture. I said, look at the photo that they just took.
Speaker 3: Look, we respect what this guy just did and to be able to do in sixty miles and the whole point. And I wouldn't have the nerve to get in there even with that device. But it's it's kind of counter into it if and it's kind of yes, it's not hypocritical, but it's it's.
Speaker 2: A little ironic. Let's just go with ironic.
Speaker 3: Okay. Still, the water was around forty seven degrees for his swim. He only wore shorts and goggles. He was didn't have some big protective suit that is coal, So I give him credit for that. And that was a northeaster so several dates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you remember that it was freezing cold outside of the water, all right, he said, this is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 2: This was the most difficult swim of his career.
Speaker 1: And this is a guy who became the first athlete to swim across the North Pole and has completed a long distance swim in every single one of the world's oceans. Pugh, yes, hopes his swim will change the perception that sharks urvilliance. However, we have just laughed our way through that. Sorry, no, but this is actually he points us out, and this is something for shark level, sorry, shark lovers and animal lovers around the world to recognize. According to the American Association for the Advancement of Science, two hundred and seventy four thousand sharks are killed in the world every day. I can't get my head around that. That means one hundred million sharks are killed every year.
Speaker 2: That is certainly sad.
Speaker 3: They have used that statistic of her that absolutely for years and years and years, and no sharks overwhelmingly aren't killing and eating people year and year out. The numbers you can see around the world are in the single digits and sometimes under five. Year after year. We get that. And yes, it's important to make the point he's making. And maybe that detail we highlight. It was supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be buried, right, but I'm sorry I had to bring it up.
Speaker 3: It's important note to make. We will continue our run now, we'll get out of the water and we will head to the desert. In particular, we're gonna head to Vegas where j Lo kissed a girl and a boy on stage of the American Music Awards last night. Yeah, that is how the show started. The fifty first annual AMAS took place at the Fountain Blue and Las Vegas, with Jennifer Lopez serving as hosts, and she.
Speaker 1: Opened the show with a signature high octane j low performance of a medley of nominated songs.
Speaker 2: But she set the.
Speaker 1: Place and the Internet on fire when during one portion of the performance she locked lips with one of her male backup dancers and then immediately turned to kiss a female dancer. After j Loo's lessons in liplocking, they handed out some awards.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we got some awards to get to and no question, Billy Eilish the biggest winner of the night. She swept all seven categories she was nominated in, including Artist of the Year and Album of the Year. Other big winners Dan and Shay Favorite Country Group. This is the fifth time they won this award, sizz A Favorite Female Artist, Favorite Song for Saturn, Gracie Abrams, Best New.
Speaker 1: Artists, Yes, and some of the biggest named snubs Schaffel, Roon, Shaboozie, Sabrina Carpenter, they were all shut Al Carverenter was nominated in six categories and you know who else was shut out. This is a big headline Taylor Swift. For the first time since two thousand and seven, Taylor Swift did not win a single American Music Award. She was nominated in six categories and she was beaten by Billie Eilish in five of them.
Speaker 3: I put that in this snub category. But to think that she has gone twenty straight years almost winning an American Music award of some kind, that's pretty impressive from Taylor Swift. You know who else walked way short handed, but not empty handed. Kendrick Lamar shorthanded, way short handed. He entered the night with the most nominations of nominations of being the artist ten, but he ended up just with one win for a favorite hip hop song. I don't have to tell you.
Speaker 1: What it is.
Speaker 2: No wonder which one that was.
Speaker 3: But favorite hip Hop Artist and Favorite hip Hop Album went to eminem Now this is interesting, even his collaboration of the Year nomination with Sizza for that song Luca God. I love that song this World. It did not win, however, you'll be happy to know who beat them. Your other favorite song.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, guy with a smile, die with a smile. Yes, okay, okay, okay. I love that song.
Speaker 1: I can play that on repeat all day, all right. Other highlights Jenna Jackson performed on TV for the first time in seven years. She received an Icon Award, and Rod Stewart received a Lifetime Achievement Awards. And this is a cool award ceremony because this is about the fans and they're voting for their favorite artists.
Speaker 3: Sometimes when you scratch your head and go, hey, wait a minute, I don't agree with that, or that wasn't the biggest hit of the year, fans are voting for their favorite things, and this is what makes this one cool. The Wicket soundtrack was nominated as well. Muana iiO was competing in the same category for favorite Soundtrack. You know what one? Neither one of those two Arcane League of Legends Season two soundtrack. Huh exactly. This is an animated show on Netflix, okay, and his second season soundtrack one. This is a fan thing.
Speaker 2: The fans have spoken.
Speaker 3: They jumped in there and voted in there. You go. Well, let's talk about some wedding bells next. On this Run with Dimmi Lovato, thirty two year old singer Tied the Knot with singer songwriter thirty four year old Jordan Jutes Loots on Sunday. The two met working on Levato's latest album, which was in twenty twenty two. Beningay since December of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: And I love what Jutes had to say before the wedding, telling People magazine this about their long engagement. I just had to include this. Indulge me here for a bit, he said. I feel like a lot of weddings can be stressful and very quick, and so we're on it, but we're also taking our time and we're also just enjoying being engaged. We're not trying to skip engagement to get right to the wedding. We're basking in it and soaking it up. Will be married forever. We just want to enjoy every step. I love that we see so many people rushing. They just want the immediacy of like, now we're married, and it's like about the wedding. I love what he said that it was about enjoying the ride and knowing that it's gonna last forever, so.
Speaker 2: There's no rush.
Speaker 3: It's kind of cool to be engaged. Yeah, take a moment, take a beat, and everybody's when you're together, They say, when you're gonna get engaged, when you engage, when is the wedding? Can we take a beat and let me enjoy what's taking place? So good for him. I don't know this, young fellow, but I like what he said. There last leg of our run here, let's get it on rode. Just the long running, ongoing, an intense debate over with soda reigns supreme. And when you ask that question, everybody knows immediately coke or pepsi. You do the taste tests, the challenge all that well, perhaps Pepsi doesn't even belong in this conversation anymore. According to annual rankings of the best selling sodas in the.
Speaker 1: US, it's no surprise the Coca Cola is number one on the list and has been the perennial top soda in the US for I don't even know how long, probably since the time they started doing this, right, But naturally you would assume that pepsi is number two on the list. But guess what, it's not number two. And now it's not even number three. Pepsi was passed last year for the number two spot by Wow. This was my childhood favorite, doctor Pepa, as you like to say, doctor Pepper.
Speaker 2: And now this year pepsi has dropped even further. It's been surpassed for the number three spot by.
Speaker 3: Sprite's pepsis number four.
Speaker 2: I would never have guessed that there is no.
Speaker 3: Coke versus pepsi.
Speaker 4: Wow, there's coke versus doctor Pepa. There coke versus doctor Pea. There's pepsi versus nobody. Pepsi now sits at number four on the list. Here's the list in order, Coke, doctor Pepper, Sprite, Pepsi, Diet Coke at number five. Then mountain do cox. I shouldn't have said it like that could not be.
Speaker 1: It's just with the extra caffeination and sugar that we all know is in that beautifully bright yellow drink.
Speaker 3: I apologize. I editorialized a little bit there on mountain dew, then coke zero, and then diet pepsi and Fanta, and then Canadian dry ginger Ale is number ten on the list. I get good stuff.
Speaker 2: Diet coke would be my number one, like without a doubt.
Speaker 3: And you know I don't drink popa, Yes, I drink the other stuff. The survey also show the most popular types of drinks, so sodas aren't even the number one drink. Our number one drink here in the US bottled water. I guess that makes sense.
Speaker 2: That's awesome number.
Speaker 3: One, then carbonated soda, and then after that number three, juices number four, Ready to drink tea, and then sports drinks five, and energy.
Speaker 1: Drinks are six, and then ready to drink coffee is only seven.
Speaker 2: I don't what is ready to drink coffee.
Speaker 3: That's stuff we have in the refrigerator right now, that stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, oh yeah, maybe yes, I have some ice coffee. Yes, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well, at least my nice takeaway is that more Americans are drinking bottle. That's good to know. All right, we'd like to leave you today with something to think about as you go about your day. Here is your quote of the day.
Speaker 3: Everybody in the morning, Instead of saying to yourself, I got to wake up, say I get to wake up? That quote, uh Robes, you tracked down today from miss Erica.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm amazing singer and songwriter. But I just thought that was so cool. I was trying to everyone.
Speaker 2: Might need a little extra motivation today.
Speaker 1: It's, you know, the day after the long holiday weekend, and if you were lucky enough not to work, you might be.
Speaker 2: Going, oh my alarm.
Speaker 1: Oh And I just thought this was such a nice way to turn it around when you feel yourself saying something like.
Speaker 2: I gotta wake up, say I get to wake up.
Speaker 1: And with that, we hope that gets your Tuesday jump started. Everybody, thanks for running with us.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ.
Speaker 1: Holmes.
Speaker 3: We will see you back on the run tomorrow.