Speaker 1: Kubbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The clearing House of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere.
Speaker 3: The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller and Danny G Radio who is away And we have another Danny. We're gonna welcome here in a second. But it is the eighteenth day of a The NBA playoffs begin tomorrow, and I am not into the playing experience, so we'll focus on that when the time comes. But hanging out with us, and we're gonna take you on a wild journey through the time space continuum. Another Danny, not Danny G, but Danny Efron, who I should I should preface this by saying, you have insider information, Danny, because I have known you your entire life and you have known me my entire life, because we were related.
Speaker 4: So exactly, we.
Speaker 3: Go back, we go back, and you've got a crazy story that I've actually kind of told your story a little bit, Danny, but I haven't gone into the full depth of your story. So you're going to hang out with us, and you are you consider yourself a New Yorker?
Speaker 1: You were not born in New York, but you grew up.
Speaker 4: I do consider myself a New Yorker because my formative years were all spent in New York from seven to eighteen, so, you know, going through my bar Mitzvah adolescence, you know, being a huge sports fan, playing high school ball. You know, yeah, New York was it for me. So I still claim New York.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I have given you our time because, unlike like all the other New York people, usually if you're a if you're a Yankees fan, you're a Giants fan, and if you're a Mets fan, you're you're a Jets fan.
Speaker 1: But you've crossed the streams, Danny.
Speaker 4: I have. Yeah, Well, it's a Yankees fan because I grew up right on that side of you know, Westsire County, like twenty minutes from the stadium. And then I'm a Jets fan because my best friend growing up had season tickets to the Jets, so he would take me every Sunday. So I have a lot of heartache on that side.
Speaker 3: There you go, if you had had a Giants fan here you you would have been a Giants fan and all that exactly.
Speaker 4: Trust me. After this last couple of seasons, I'm kind of mad at my friend for that.
Speaker 3: But I know you were actually you actually believed you were drinking the kool aid, the green kool aid for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, I was big time. I got the jersey and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And now, well obviously it didn't work out so well. And hey, you are a next fan and the next begin. Hey, tomorrow, the Knicks are a seven point favorite.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know, Danny.
Speaker 3: The Knicks did not exactly impress me down the stretch here. They they should beat the Pistons.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I hear you. I think they'll beat the Pistons. I don't think, you know, championships on our plate this year, but I think that we were full health nil Mitchell Robinson's back. I think I think we can go through the Pistons pretty. I wouldn't say his light work, but I would say five or six games.
Speaker 3: Five or six games, all right, there you go put your money down. Nix are favorite by seven seven in the first game. Today's National World Amateur Radio Day. I had to mention that because my dad and your uncle Danny, this was his life's passion, was ham radio and today's National Ham Radio. There is a day for everything but National hand Radio today Today eighteen eighty eight, somebody named Henry Henry Rudolph. I don't even know who that is, but he proved the existence of radio waves, which in many ways, not only my it was my dad's hobby, but my entire professional career has been based on on most of the radio stuff. So but yeah, so national. I don't know how you celebrate National Ham Radio Day.
Speaker 1: I don't know. We have some Ham radio guys.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I guess us the Morse code a little bit.
Speaker 1: That was my problem.
Speaker 3: You know. My dad wanted me to get into Ham radio, and I back in those days when I was a kid, you had to get a license, and I was so stupid.
Speaker 1: I couldn't figure out Morse code. I couldn't. I couldn't figure it out.
Speaker 3: It's so if now I don't think you have to do it anymore. I think I probably get a Ham radio license now, but when I was younger, like I can be on a commercial radio and that's fine, but actual like Ham radio, I'm not qualified.
Speaker 1: I wasn't at the time, so and yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you probably chose a better route though.
Speaker 1: Well financially it's not. Okay, it's been a it's been a while.
Speaker 3: It's a there's also National Animal Cracker Day today on this Friday, so National Cracker Day.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: The great thing about animal crackers, Danny, is they give you a giant bag of them. Right, It's like the biggest bat. It's like the size of Florida. The bag of animal crackers. You get, right, it's awesome.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and they got all different kinds. They got the frosted ones, they got the sprinkled ones. So big animal crackers.
Speaker 3: There you go. Did you know those go back to the uh the animal crackers mid eighteen made eighteen.
Speaker 1: It's been around for a while.
Speaker 4: Wow, I expect that. But yeah.
Speaker 3: They were invented in the United Kingdom and then actually eventually exported to to America and they the first commercial. This is the kind of crap we do in the fifth hour, Dany. Yeah, out here, the Great Danny Efron hanging out with us. But the first commercial produce for animal crackers was eighteen seventy one.
Speaker 1: So that was in New York, Pennsylvania and there.
Speaker 4: And when you say commercial, was it, like, uh, I mean was it? I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: Must have been a newspapers, right, because there was no.
Speaker 4: Well exactly, yeah, it had to be a newspaper.
Speaker 1: There was no There was no radio. There was no television radio.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe there's a guy in the streets is yelling, but yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: I just go down and get those things in scream, start screaming, and the town crier. Yeah, that's right, the town that's the way to go. You gotta do the town crier for sure. So anyway, you know your part. Now you've had an amazing ser I often on the radio show, I will mock people. They'll they'll say the Willis Reid game, you know, they'll talk about some athlete overcoming adversity and they'll they'll go on and I roll my eyes. I roll my eyes when I see that stuff. I say, oh, come on, that's just hyperbole.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? You know, it's nonsense.
Speaker 3: And one of the reasons I bring that up is because your story, Danny, is insane. It is awesome, it is fantastic. I think people need to hear about it. I've told it a little bit, but my man, you have you talk about a roller coaster h in life, and you have been able to ride the roller coaster, and you've had some real downs. You've had some some greats that have happened. But we need to tell your story. So you have had well, I want you to tell your story, but you've had some two major, really bad things that have happened.
Speaker 1: That a lot of people would not have recovered from. Explain what happened.
Speaker 4: So I am a two time glioblastoma brain cancer survivor for the most aggressive form of cancer. I was first told in twenty fifteen I had two to five years to live. I of course would not accept that timeline. I thought, did everything I could, changed my diet, researched, ever, cancer fighting remedy, went to traditional method. I was cancer free for seven years, and then in twenty twenty two, cancer came back, this time with a vengeance against stage four glioblastoma, and I had a stroke this time as well. So not only did I have to have surgery and you know radiation. But I suffered a massive stroke that left me hallucinating for three months. It got to the point, you know where I was. I look at myself in the mirror and looked like the left side of my face was blown up off with the shotgun. I'd look at my son and his face looked like smeared shut. I was a horror show I was living in, really, But you know, I power through because one thing I believe in is fighting. You fight what gets in front of you. You fight to be successful, and that is what I do. So after that, you know, I was basically blind for three months. It's kind of like on a sliding scale. It got from better to basically where I just had a pinhole vision. The rest was like a kaleidoscope of color where I was able to heal myself. And then three months later or six months later, I was standing in front of Congress helping pass cancer fighting legislation and passing over ten billion dollars in research funding and prevention legislation. That is all I've Yeah, I've made the most out of what the hand that was given to me. And in honor of of course, your aunt, your uncle, and my aunt, your mother. You know, cancer has played a huge role, unfortunately in our lives and then but you know it affected me on such a deeper, lever but level. But you know I made most that I fight through, you know, lahaian to life. You know, make the best out of it. So that's what I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, And and so you get that diagnosis. I mean that's like, that's like the you know, you're like, holy crap, you know, dude, what do you do? But then you overcame it the first time, and I need to get into the because I I'm gonna I'm gonna put.
Speaker 1: Myself in your story.
Speaker 3: Okay, So when you got diagnosed the second time with cancer, we were all like, you know, when I found out about we were all freaking. I was like, dude, I got to see my guy, my my my cousin. So you were living in Phoenix at the time. So I left on like a Friday just to go hang out with you, like just to go to Phoenix for the day. And if you remember, I was I was in your house when you had a freaking stroke.
Speaker 4: I didn't even were there, that's right, Like, what was crazy is I didn't even know I had a stroke get and then we were driving to the restaurant. I remember driving up the road with you. I wasn't driving, of course you were, but at one second it felt like I was going north the next bacon, and second I felt like I was going out. It was like my compass I was spinning and I didn't even know what was going on. And you were there. You were the first. You were the first one to see me with this stroke. And I remember telling you that I just the whole situation that just happened, and we were all like, you know, puzzled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was wild.
Speaker 3: So we we went to I think the Knicks were playing, and we were like watching the We were on your sofa watching the next game, and you were like really out of it, like you were. We were like maybe he did some acid or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know what.
Speaker 4: I wish.
Speaker 1: I've never seen it, you.
Speaker 3: Know, standing I remember you telling you thought like you were seeing portals.
Speaker 1: It was like, yep, So.
Speaker 4: It was like I was in the movie Inception, Like my world kept like switching view on me. Uh So how it started, you know, right before you were coming to pick me up, I was in the bathroom and I kept reaching for the handle to get out, and I kept hitting a wall. It was like I had no proper field of views. Everything kept on changing, uh, and it was just wild. And I mean it got to the point where, you know, I kept seeing people on my left hand side. There was kind of like a ceiling fan always going on over me. And I mean I was just straight up hallucinating, just like right in front of my face. And I had to tell myself this isn't real because I like, for example, I looked in the mirror and looked like the left side of my face was blown off with the shotgun because I had a massive stroke in my baridal lobe, which was right where the vision sensors are as.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 3: We were like wow, I mean, I know he's got the brain cancer, but I mean this is like, really, this is like we didn't know what was going on.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously you didn't know, and then you.
Speaker 3: And that actually turned out if I have the story right, and it's your story, but I think Danny, that actually turned out that stroke turned out in the long run to be a great a great mits Was that correct? Am I right on that or did I get that wrong.
Speaker 4: Ah, the stroke not well, I mean because it didn't really yeah, I mean, I guess in regards to my fight, in my resilience, and yes, that became a bits fun and it added to my story, but uh it was, yeah it was because.
Speaker 3: It wasn't it tied kind of like to your to your brain cancer. Right, that's what I Maybe I heard wrong, but.
Speaker 4: I guess I forgot there was something that uh it kind of Oh, that's right, that's right. I'm sorry, I know exactly what you're talking about. The stroke where it exploded. They said, could it be viewed as a positive sign because any remaining cancer it would have killed?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's what I had heard. See, that's what I that's where I was going for because that is correct.
Speaker 4: And I apologized, Yes, that that is correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you had brain cancer and the story was the doctors I heard this a while back, but you would because of the stroke, like it was like a bullseye for the cancer in your brain.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly. Yet that's essentially because with the stroke exploded right where the surgery was. And uh and this was like two weeks after surgery, you know, I was on radiation and radiation had nothing to do with the stroke. I just think, you know, I'm a busy body. I always like to move. I think I might have been a little too active, you know. But but yeah, you said like you said, it was a blessing in disguise because right where it exploded was where the cancer was. So ultimately, you know, all my scans since then have shown no cancer. So really, yeah, the blessing in this sky is absolutely right.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: And so that is See when you hear the willis Reid game or something like that, that's bull crap.
Speaker 1: See this is big kohone is here. This is big balls.
Speaker 3: Well you've been true here, not those guys and all that stuff. So so you've survived all that and you've changed your life a lot.
Speaker 1: I know your diet and all that.
Speaker 3: If you talked about this, you've been living really clean for what ten years at least?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for a long time. Yeah. I do a ketogenic diet. So like cancer sells feet off of sugar by eighteen percent, they increase cancer. So I have no sugar in my diet. I keep a ketogenic diet. I will do like windows of fasting as well, because fasting will fill your body into a stage called atophagy will be like cellulttle repair. So if you have like cancer cells, you'll kind of starve them because the thing about cancer cells is they can't repair themselves, and they try to so they try to feed off as much sugar. But if you starve them with your metabolism, you can actually, you know, I ultimately have those cancer cells seek their own death. So really, I dove into it, really explored every different option I could. You know, I even pivoted my career into the cancer space, which is where I work now. So yeah, I mean it was a defining moment for me. And you know, I'm here. I'm telling my story, you know, and I'll always keep fighting no matter what comes in my way. I'll get through. And I always tell people that, you know, you know, don't let things take you down. With cancer, a lot of times you'll have the old woes me moment and you'll go these support groups and it's very sad. Yeah, you can have a Woe's me moment, but that's not me. Like me, I'm a fighter. I go through it. And that's why I'm here today telling my story. And you know, I've had the worst of it, and I'm still here smiling, and God forbid anything comes up again. I will get through it because that's who I am.
Speaker 1: I hear you, man, I hear you, and the great Danny Efron.
Speaker 3: How about this now? You you mentioned you've been to Congress. That's that's crazy to me. You've spoken, right, you addressed.
Speaker 4: Members have I have as a Congress members. So I was actually on Capitol Hill twice and I have spoken four times before Congress members, but twice was during COVID.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I was on Capitol Hill, and I, like I said during my four times that I've helped pass over ten billion in cancer fighting legislation for research prevention methods, and I've also worked on some bills for uh you know, access to cancer care, access to clinical trials. So you know, I was given such a grim uh, such a basically a grim reality, and I've done everything I can to make the best out of it and promote change on a real tangible level. Uh. You know, thankfully, I'm I'm a national speaker. I'm a relationship builder. So I knew that if I use my skills and go into this space with my story, I could be successful. And it was really me just trying to help people like you Ben and me and myself who were going through and like losing our parents and of course I had to deal with it, you know firsthand, but uh, you know, doing everything I could can to make change and to you know, promote hopefully get that cancer sure, which I think we're closer to now than ever with quantum computers and AI so I think, uh, I think we'll get there soonerretta later. So I'm going to keep the fight, keep the work up.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure, man, I mean, our our blood lines, your mom my, my mom.
Speaker 1: I mean, uh, I mean it's uh.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not not the greatest, but there's ways, you know, try to try to do better.
Speaker 1: But they we did. We didn't win the genetic lottery day, not at all.
Speaker 4: We got the intelligence though, which is good.
Speaker 1: We got some of that. We've got some.
Speaker 4: Of that, yeah, right, But the genetic yeah, the genes company, we came up short a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 3: So you're tell me about the Capitol Hill thing, because that's wild to me. So you've been there a couple of times, Like how how were you nervous?
Speaker 1: Like how nuts?
Speaker 3: So is that you're well, you're in front of all these political people.
Speaker 1: WI.
Speaker 4: What's crazy about me is this is since I was little, uh, whenever like the lights, camera actions, whenever somebody kicks into gear, like something just happens in me and I just I'll be nervous before, but boom, I just kick into gear and it's like, you know, everything else fades away and I just you know, can just really roll with it. And I was able to you know, meet with all these congress members talk to them. Really. Uh, it was really fun kind of tailoring my pitch to work certain sizes of the aisle. Of course, cancer is nonpartisan. I don't get into politics at all, but you know, it was really just me trying to figure out the best messaging to get this these fund this funding and this legislation passed, uh, to really you know, make a change in the cancer community. And uh, of course yeah, there was nerves involved, but once I was actually on the floor and talking to these congress members, I really all that kind of fade away and it was the mission at hand.
Speaker 3: So outstanding, outstanding, and and you've done something. I've done a lot of cool things and I've been lucky to do a lot of cool stuff, but I've one thing I have not been able to get done is to write a book. And you have a book, and it's like, it's awesome, and I'm I'm very jealous that you were able to get this done because it is outstanding and it's a dedication to your your son, your your amazing kid Eddie who we love and what a kid Eddie is and you how did this process work? I mean, how long does it take to get a book that I walked me.
Speaker 1: To the thing here?
Speaker 4: Absolutely So. How it started was so like, you know, I'm a storyteller, I'm a daydreamer. So every night before I go to bed, before Eddie goes to bed, I tell him a story just off the top of that in my head. And I remember I told this one story. It was when he was like four, I believe three or four. He's seven now, and I remember he got up from his bed and he was like, wow, Daddy, I want to want to watch that. I want to read that. And I was like, hey, that was actually a really good story. So I went and I, you know, I put it down on paper, how Eddie put a smile on the moon, and I, you know, I just did my due diligence, and like one of the things. I'm a big fan of Dale Carnegie, your aunt my mom gave me his book in fifth grade. I had to win friends, influence people, and I kind of changed how I looked at things. So I would always read Eddie these books before bed, called, like how to Catch a Leprechawn, how to Catch a Unicorn, And I love the illustration style of it. So what I did was I took a page out of Dale Carnegie when he would write sincere letters to these individuals, you know, not cheap flattery. So I wrote Andy Elkerton, multiple number one New York Times best selling illustrator, just a sincere email saying that I love his work. I wrote this story. I love to see what he thinks of it. He replied to my email, said, I love the story. I'd be happy to illustrate it for you. And you know, three years later we formed a great partnership. We're actually working on a second book now called How still a working title, but how Eddie Help Daddy fight cancer? I want to, you know, take that which is really a challenging topic for a lot of families and making in a way that's more comfortable and manageable, and you know it has a little maybe even though it's not much fun, but has a little fun to it to really explain the process and you know, give families that resource to you know, talk about such a complicated issue such as cancer in a way that is you know, child friendly. So that's our next project we're kind of looking for. But that's kind of how the whole process went. Of course, the book was h This was like three years ago and it did you know, I had to reach out to like the publishing industry. Of course, it takes a long time to get out and so I wrote this story you know, when he was like three or four and now he's seven, so you know, it was it was an arduous process, but uh, you know I was able to finally get something, and you know I use Barnes and Nobles as my distributor, and so the book is finally out now, which I love. You know, you can get the hard tub cover at Barns Nobles or the paperback on Amazon. So yeah, it's just you know, it's a dream come true. And to do it in such a special way about my son, you know, the story leading up to it. Uh, it's just you know, it's it's really it's really really fulfilling to me, and I'm so excited to be speaking about it, and I'm grateful for you to have me on to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, it's it's awesome. It's a I actually am holding a copy in my hands here of the book. I have it here, I should have. Well, we're going to have you sign it. I think, well, I'll probably see you soon, so we'll have you that's right. Yeah, but at some point here in an absence. But you do work in the cancer world, right, You're you're you're in that.
Speaker 1: World, do Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I I work for a company, Veritas Medical Solutions. I do radiation shielding for some of the largest medical oncology centers. Basically, we're like a more advanced form of shielding. We take up half the space of traditional concret We provide one hundred percent radiation shielding guarantee because we use a sin wave technology that attenuates or cancels out all radiation.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: So we work with some of the largest cancer centers worldwide. And I also work in the industrial solutions too, so I work with like Blue Origin, uh SpaceX to provide radiation shielding for their non destructive testing of their rocket parts. So it's very exciting. Yes, So I get to not only work on the cancer space and help kind of reimagine facilities to make them more patient friendly, make them safer, but also I get to you know, kind of whet my appetite in the world of like space travel and fusion energy is very cool.
Speaker 3: That's right, because you know, eventually, if you know, who knows if we'll be around, but they go to Mars and other places, like, the radiation is like a big problem, right you.
Speaker 1: Get out and traveling around. I mean, you're you.
Speaker 3: Got if you send a bunch of astronauts out to you know, god knows where and they get cancer, what do you know, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: Exactly? It's actually need proper shielding, especially while they're in their ship and then of course when they're like with this fusion right now. Uh, And so the fusion doesn't really need to be shielded against because there's not much radiation. It's more contained. But the lasers that they use to create the fusion sends out so much radiation that that's what we have to provide shielding for so when it comes to fusion applications, which will ultimately you know, lead to rockets and space travel that extended you know, distance of traveling and have that energy though output. Uh you know, right now we just have to prevent provide shielding on these lasers that are shooting beams at each other and really fusion though fusing those atoms together.
Speaker 1: My head's about to explode here, Danny.
Speaker 4: I know, I talk this all day long.
Speaker 3: I talk about I talk about balls, Danny's when I talk about the ball, that's what I talk about on I talk about Lebron James Kendall in balls is what I That's it.
Speaker 4: Should be known that everyone. I like to tell you. So when I was in eighth grade, I want to be a sportscaster, to follow in my cousin's foot test. I was looked up to you and I remember you wrote me a killer on presentation for that.
Speaker 1: Well, I remember that.
Speaker 3: And one time wait, this was before nine to eleven. Remember I was in with the doing stuff with the Dodgers and they were playing the Mets at Jay's Stadium and we were able to in those days before you know, security was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: We we got you and your your brother Lou louis in there, and so we d a great time. Was fun.
Speaker 4: I still remember your opening line, welcome to the sun.
Speaker 3: That it is.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was oppressively hot. I mean, I was like August was ridiculous. I can't handle humidity, is what does me?
Speaker 1: In Dandy? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, you live in a place with a dry heat now, but that July and August and New York or I've been to the South a few times.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's miserable.
Speaker 4: I'll take the dry heat any day. It's like you're always walking around muggy, sweaty.
Speaker 1: It's the oh, it's it's terrible.
Speaker 3: But again, the name of the book is how Eddie put a Smile on the Moon. And this is everywhere, right, this thing is everywhere, Danny. People can get it on Amazon, but wherever they want it, they can get it. Where Where do you get the most bank? Where do you want people to buy it from it?
Speaker 1: Where is it?
Speaker 4: I get the most bank from my buck on Amazon? Honestly, okay, I get the most bank for my buck. So if people feel I mean that's the paperback field free, there's the hardcover at Barnes and Noble. But yeah, pick up a copy. I love if people can review it as well, you know, only positive reviews. If you didn't like it, review someone else's book.
Speaker 3: Mo, man, it's my god, it's my cousin. You got it, Gret Cutts, my guy Dandy.
Speaker 1: Give him a good run, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, you can get it anywhere, but Amazon dot com would be the preferred place, because of course I do get most bank from my buck. There.
Speaker 1: There you go. All right, Danny, thank you so much, and we will I'll see you soon. So we'll get and the next time.
Speaker 3: You have the book, the next book you'll come back on.
Speaker 1: We'll do it all over the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Absolutely there.
Speaker 3: It is the fifth hour. We got new pods all weekend. We'll have a new one on obviously tomorrow Saturday, and then on Sunday the mailbag.
Speaker 1: Have a wonderful rest of your Friday.
Speaker 3: And as uh as Danny g would say, asta pasta stop later, skater or something like that, gotta murder, I gotta go