Speaker 1: You're tuned into Heat Check with Triste Quick.
Speaker 2: On this episode of the Heat Check, we got another bonus episode of People, and we got a special interview with Brandon Scoop B Robinson, the lead NBA insider at Valley Sports. We conducted this interview actually this week with my co host Ryan Horvaugh and PJ. Glasser on BED MGN to Night, a betting show that I do Monday through Friday seven pm to eleven pm Eastern Standard Time. Scoop beat very long resume. He's written for pretty much everyone from SLAM to ESPN to Ebony. He's also hosted a ton of radio, done a bunch of TV. Very good, very inside the NBA vibes. So let's get into it, Nick and drop that motherfucking beat. First and foremost, we asked Scoop about his favorite team in the Atlantic Division in the East. I was a little surprised, honestly with his answer.
Speaker 1: That's a tough one specifically because I really do think that when you look at the nets and you look at their partnership, this is the last year, year four, and I really think they have a depth to them that they really haven't had prior to the James Harden trade, but Philadelphia is so much better also, particularly because of just the addition of Tucker, who I think will pay dividend. The Celtics is still the reigning Eastern Conference champion, and I think they're underestimated. I think Brooklyn and Boston both underestimated. I'm going to take Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: That's saying a lot of things have to go right. You must be very high on Ben Simmons because it feels like he's got to be the glue in order to get that done. No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ben Simmons definitely the glue in the sense of the fact that you know he to me, defensively is what I like most. I think he doesn't have to score to winning and thirty points a night. Defensively against other perimeter guys. I think it's really where he's going to benefit Brooklyn and the fact that he gets Kay off the ball quite a bit. But I also think there's other pieces on that Brooklyn roster. On name Nicholas Claxton's West think both he and Ben Simmons are going to be monsters on the break now, and then other guys like TJ Warrenceph Curry and Patty Mills. I really do think that the Nets have a complete roster from top to bottom, and the only thing that's missing is really just a scorer like a Carmelo Anthony or Dwight Howard. Will see how their health goes this season. But I do like Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: I'm always looking for info on sleeper teams, so I asked him for some great insight in the teams that he likes coming out of the East and West teams and not up people are talking about not the Chalky Ones listening in the.
Speaker 1: NBA's Eastern Conference, I definitely think it's the Cleveland Cavaliers. They were doing well last season without Donovan Mitchell. Coach Bickerstaff definitely had a quality product on the floor that surprised many people in the NBA's Eastern Conference. And the fact that they did it without a botafide superstar. You add Donovan Mitchell to the pot. I was disappointed that lowry marketing was was shipped out, but I think he's going to do well out West. But I definitely like Donovan Mitchell's the Cleveland Cavaliers because of as a go Coral, because of Jared Allen to who to me even that got rid of Hastily. I really do think that that team just has a bunch of guys that all want to be there. And Kevin Love as well, who I think is going to have a resurgence this year playing alongside down of the mitchell in the Western Conference side. That's a loaded question. But there's a couple of teams that I see that are surprise teams to people. Number one in Minnesota Timberwolves, who I think got busy this summer. They just aren't just busy, they got busy. Anthony Edwards, I think is propelled to have a superfluous amount of energy and will benefit He is literally the ferrari that has no boundaries on the Ben Franklin Turnpike in the Philadelphia area because he's got guys that can protect them at so many different positions, and you know, Karl Anthony Towns at a natural filling position at the fourth spot. I think definitely will do well. From Minnesota, I think defensively, though, Rudy Gobert I don't see him as the defensive player of the Year. I do see someone like badmout of Bio potentially getting that crown this year in Miami. But I like the Timberwolves. I also like the New Orleans Pelicans. I like the product that Willie Green has on the floor. So a lot of teams in the Western Conference that are competitive. It's not just the East that's competitive, the West is competitive also.
Speaker 2: I also asked who he liked in this great class of rookies, and like most people, he's been very impressed with about Palo ben Carrol listening some of the other names that he had to.
Speaker 1: Mention, I actually like Paolo Benchetto out in Orlando with the Magic, and he has a feel for the game that seems very stoic, but we've seen it before, a Grant Hill like at times Ben Simmons and Lebron like a big guard so that can playmake that can score, and I think there's a level of maturity. I also like Benic meth Uran out in Indiana with the Pacers. Washed him during the preseason and really been impressed with his hops, the ability to get to the basket, and I like his connectivity with the point guard there. So yes, those are the two guys that I like. Matt Urin out in the Indiana and then also Palo Benchetto with the Orlando Magic.
Speaker 2: Probably the most surprising thing about this interview was how high Scoop was on the Washington was As you guys know, I hate the Wizards. I think they stink. I think they're a gross team. Scoop likes them since we don't have a ton of Wizard stock, and we probably won't have a lot of Wizards stock, enjoy Scoop be lavishing the Washington Wizards with Price the Wizards.
Speaker 1: I've spent a significant amount of time with them the last year, and you know, just their dedication to chemistry and the off season is really what I walked away with. I actually flew on a flight home with them. We ran into each other randomly. We were all sitting in first class and they were kind of giving me an airfold drag the Aelus. No, not a brag, really the opportunity to really learn how those guys really bonded in Los Angeles and the fact that they had their whole training staff, So sitting there with guys that are fixed with nine as well as their training staff, they shared with me just a lot of their rehab process and how their point guard connectivity has really helped them. Monte Martins, of course, growing up with Kyle Kuzma out in Flint. But in addition to that, looking at how much they're trying to fuse Kristaps Porzingis as well as Bradley Beal as well as Kyles Kouzma in one is really their focus. I think in an Eastern Conference where everybody pays attention to Brooklyn, everybody pays attention to Philadelphia, I think the Wizards are in a good position as a team and nobody, you know, people are looking at them as you know, a team that can really be effective in the East.
Speaker 2: So I do, like, Scoop, how much do you like them? Though? Like? What are we talking about in terms of seeding? Because you can like a team. I like the Pacers. I know they're not going anywhere like I can like and like a lot of teams, Like okay, see, they're a fun product, but I know they're not doing anything. I know they're not going into the playoffs. Like what are we talking how much do you like the Wizards?
Speaker 1: I think that they could easily win somewhere between forty two and forty eight games the season, So.
Speaker 2: Good, Scoo, I'm talking about forty two and forty eight games. Let's look at their win well.
Speaker 1: I think Ruy has definitely impressed guys in that locker room, and I think part of it started and how he conducted himself going into the season and playing in that game in Japan. But in addition to that, Kuzma definitely there's a mindset, there's a focus that I didn't really see last year because he was hurt for quite a bit last season towards the end of the season. So, if I'm not mistaken, Bradley Bill, Christas Perzingis and Kuzma played maybe somewhere between four to ten games together last season. I'd like to see them be healthy and really compete in that Eastern Conference. There's no reason why, particularly with the fact that they added their boy guard this offseason. I really like them and I want to see them do well. I also do like the Pacers. I don't want to tell you should either. I like Tyree's Halliburton, but like you mentioned before, there's certain teams. The Pacers are a younger team. The Wizards have some guys that are a little bit coming of age in their mid twenties that are looking to compete. So I like them. I like them as a dark.
Speaker 2: Horse dark horse dark horse. All right, Scoop, all right. Scoop also had some interesting things to say about the Kings and the Pacers, teams that probably aren't going anywhere, but are going to be very fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Not going anywhere for a while. You get a snickers. The Sacramento Kings to me, since that build, they're a young team. I like this to move to get Mike Brown. I like the fact that he and that team are counted out. You look at the Western Conference overall, you know you've got even the Lakers, who I think are can battle for play in spot. But at the same token, I think that the Sacramento Kings aren't talked about enough, and for a lot of reasons, they've not been good. They've not been good, but I'm excited to see that young team compete. Keep you murray as uncertain against the Blazers I've read earlier, But I think ultimately when you look at this Sacramento Kings team, I do like them. I'm excited to watch them. Yeah, that's why I happened the West. In the East, I think the Pacers. I'm gonna stick with that Pacers line paces. I think looking at them in the preseason, they were speedy team and I watched them take on the Knicks. I also think that nick are an interesting team, particularly because I think RJ. Barrett doesn't hurt you. He's gotten better statistically every year or stay consistent every year. I look at Mitchell Robinson in his off season development, I look at Obi Toppin and there's a level of confidence that he has on the course. So I think the Knicks are another team that I'm looking forward to watching.
Speaker 2: Finally, I had to ask scoops take on what's happening in Phoenix with all of the DeAndre Ayton drama. Interesting answer, take a listen.
Speaker 1: The Sun's heading into the season. To me, I like, I mean, anytime you have a Devin Booker who I look at as a sleeper and an MVP selection process this season, I think you're looking at something. Chris Paul is still to me a point guard that can get guys involved. And I think that the eight controversy that was you know, his money really and truly doesn't have to be a thing if they win. I think Phoenix is in a very similar situation that Brooklyn, and by that I mean this A lot has been talking about chemistry, people getting along in money, but winning cures all. And I think that winning and making money and just being successful of what you do think. I think that Phoenix is still in a good position. I think that Jay Crowder melancholy there. I think if they're able to make a move to get somebody who can place them, I still think that they're a high octen machine that can move. I like Bridges. Bridges to me, Cam Johnson to me, they both are just pieces on that team that just complement the well, just like the nets. Ben Simmons is a good problem to have when your roster. Same with the guys that I mentioned before on Phoenix. That's why I think there's so much powerdy between those two teams. I think if they start off well the first ten games of the season, it'll continue.
Speaker 2: That's all the time that we have for the Heat Check. This bonus episode comes to you from my co sponsor bet MGM tonight Monday through Friday live from seven pm to eleven pm Eastern Time. It's also available on demand on the Odyssey app and in podcast form wherever you find your podcast. Million Thanks a bajillion, Thanks a gazillion thanks to my co host Ryan and PJ. And my superproducer, Cameron Gray. We're going to be dropping these mini episodes pretty much as much as possible, just so that you can continue to get information and my insights or opinions, whatever you would call them, on everything that's popping around the league. Follow us though on heat Check as we cover this entire season. It's gonna be fucking insane. Make sure you download the pod. Make sure you subscribe to the pod. Please tell your friends about the pod. Anyone that loves the NBA, come on start evangelizing this. Also follow us on social at this heat Check and interest to crick on TikTok because the Heat Check never sleeps