Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or streamers live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock Act. Final Hour on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dants Dan Patrick Show, our good buddy Chris Simms from Football Night in America will stop by. You can still pre order the occasionally accurate annals of football the NFL's greatest players, plays, scandal, screw ups, and stuff we totally made up. It's a book that I wrote with Joel Cohen, one of the great writers for The Simpsons, and it's available. You can pre order go to Danpatrick dot com. Stat of the Day brought to you by Beatini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. The Mercedes Benz Folks sponsor this final hour. Mercedes Benz ev Electric is what you get, but Mercedes is what moves you Like no other automaker. The vehicle all electric the feeling, all Mercedes, the choices, all yours.
Speaker 3: Learn more at.
Speaker 2: Mbusa dot com. Good morning watching on Peacock. Thank you download the app if you haven't. Fritzy has a sports center teas waiting for us. As far as the final countdown, cut down and quarterbacking situations still fluid here. DeMar Hamlin made the Buffalo Bill's roster the Patriots looking for a backup quarterback. Also, the Angels have pretty much dumped everybody, and Major League Baseball Players Association is looking at security around the league.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they're going to do anything, but it feels like they have to do something or at least give the presentation that hey we're addressing this, we're looking into it. But do you have a universal strategy here, philosophy, This is how security has to act at our stadiums. But I wasn't sure if the commissioner would say something. But it's the Baseball Players Association because your players are at I guess in quotations risk. But if a fans motivated, the fan's going to get out there. Just that's going to happen.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The question is how far do they get what kind of engagement is going to be there. But if you watch it and you're Ronald Acunya Junior, you're not sure. You know, somebody coming out, you know, and and you know, here was another thing that I heard yesterday about somebody monetizing a moment like this. Pablo Touring said this on I think it was part of the interruption where he was talking to Tony Kornheiser, and he said, this is where somebody, a fan can monetize this, that you can get clicks, likes, you know, you can have merchandise with this that you got on the field. Now you're somebody and I didn't think of it that way. But somebody with whatever their reasoning is or lack their own, that they're going to go on the field. But I just think it's got to be universal. When you go on the field, you're going it's like you're going into somebody's home and you're going to take action.
Speaker 3: They do.
Speaker 2: They did, And because you got to diffuse this and you're not quite sure. Wait, wait, they look like they mean they're going to be friendly. They don't meet any harm. You don't know that, and don't you don't get the benefit of doubt. If you're running onto the field. Sorry.
Speaker 3: Remember the guy who.
Speaker 2: Went on he had the pink flare that he lit up, and he was running around and Bobby Wagner leveled him.
Speaker 3: And then didn't he try to sue Bobby Wagner for leveling him. God, yeah, Paul, you're hearing from my lawyer.
Speaker 5: We were discussing in it here. Like let's say a person's in the center field stands and they don't mind jumping down seven or eight feet running towards the center fielder. You can't put security in the field of play. And if they're let's say you put a security person, a decent security person, at the end of every row of seats, if that person's not by the aisle, they could still avoid security. We're throwing out the idea. What about spike strips, Like you know, they just you throw them out. You know, when a car is going too fast, guys running out, you throw it out of the big chain thing at the spike strips take them down.
Speaker 2: What if you just put netting up all around the ballpark. Therefore you're kind of on the outside looking in. You can't get into the netting.
Speaker 5: But then you can't catch home run ball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, sorry, man, unless it goes over the netting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could have the netting go up. It doesn't have to in case.
Speaker 7: You like, it could just go up like three feet even.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Barbed wire no, you know, like the cubs have that basket.
Speaker 7: It's getting more and more medieval.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you could put barbed wire in the basket.
Speaker 5: Good sponsor.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know if it would penetrate the clothes, depending on what time of the year it is. But what about one of those sleep darts when they're like hit a lion.
Speaker 9: Or something that's running through the woods and all of a sudden they just collapse in exhaustion.
Speaker 7: Snipers now, taser.
Speaker 3: I don't think we need to do that.
Speaker 5: Good TV. It is good TV, guys running it takes one of the I person.
Speaker 2: We deserve it, you know, like Will Ferrell when he shoots himself with the dart gun and old school.
Speaker 5: Was expensive a powerful dart gun on the market.
Speaker 2: God, is that a funny scene when Stiffler is there and he's got his mullet and then he's running the the what is it the circus there with the animals the birthday party. Be careful with that. Let me get a couple of phone calls in here. Our good buddy Chris Sims will join us. Coming up here in a little bit. Brian in Montana, Hi, Brian, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Be Hey Brian six right.
Speaker 10: I'm a proud Nebraska and living in Montana. So I just want to kind of try the flag for Nebraska today. So the volleyball team is going to break records, NCAA records and of course like personal records. That ninety five thousand people are going to be in Memorial Stadium tonight watching the Nebraskt volleyball team play, and they're gonna they're breaking the Rose Bowl record when the ladies soccer team played in the Rose Bowl. And as the father of two daughters and the daughters yourself, I'm just a proud papa and a proud Nebraskan that that they're doing this and they're really making a big deal about it. So I wanted to make sure that all of your folks out there can tune in at seven o'clock Central and watch a little ladies basketball and even if you don't like the Huskers, you can still cheer on the event.
Speaker 3: Yeah volleyball, Yeah, thank you. Brian.
Speaker 2: Can the volleyball team play on Saturday afternoons in Lincoln?
Speaker 7: Dang Man, why'd you have to see?
Speaker 11: Wait?
Speaker 4: Is this at all?
Speaker 7: Take something positive?
Speaker 3: That's what we do on this show. That's what we do. Yes.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: One of my favorite parts, by the way of driving across country was when you get to a place like Iowa and you're like, well, we're thinking about cutting through Nebraska.
Speaker 7: They're like, jon't.
Speaker 3: It was like interstate rivalries.
Speaker 6: They're like, get to get to Ohio and make a left, don't go straight?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm looking at the picture now. Right around like the thirty five yard line, there's a big volleyball court, wooden volleyball court at Memorial State of Nebraska's supposed to They're gonna try to pack the house for it. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like ninety thousand John in Buffalo, Hi, John, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 12: It sounds like you're still hurting about not getting the Drew Cherry money. So I figured I'd come up with a sponsorship opportunity for you. Okay, So put across the bottom of your p Tech broadcast Height of the Face Update sponsored by Marie calendar and if you want to take two off of it, offer to take it frozen.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, thank you, John, thank you. I have no problem with Drew Carrey getting that money from Prices, right. I didn't want to do it at the time. I was still doing you know, Sports Center. I was covering the NBA finals. They didn't tell me what the salary was, and I didn't want to do it. I would have done Jeopardy. I would have left this job for Jeopardy.
Speaker 5: A little more highbrow, little more yes.
Speaker 3: Very much, sir.
Speaker 2: I wasn't joking yet, no, because there was I don't know how long ago this was, but they didn't know if Alex Trebek was going to resign. And a man named Steve Moscow was in France and that day on the show, we were talking about what game show that I would like to do, or what game show would be the one if I could choose, and I said Jeopardy.
Speaker 3: Get off the air.
Speaker 2: Get a phone call from this guy who worked at Sony that distributes Jeopardy, Steve Moscow.
Speaker 3: He said, Hey, I'm coming to New York.
Speaker 2: I'd like to talk to you about replacing Alex on Jeopardy. And I got wait, did you hear the show today? He goes, no, I'm in France. Why I said, I said, that's the one show that I would do, And he goes, well, I want to talk to you about it. Well, I meet with him and then he says, I want you to come out meet all the people with Jeopardy. And I go I said, but I don't know if I want to do this. He said, well, we don't know if Alex is going to retire. I said okay, and I go out. I meet with the brilliant guy behind it, Harry Friedman, and meet with the writers and you know, people come up with the clues, and then we're talking about if Alex is going to continue his job. I never once asked what the money was. I did ask how many days he worked, how many shows he did each day? And if Steve Moscow had stayed well, if Alex had decided to step down and Steve Moscow had stayed in that job at Sony, then I probably would have been doing Jeopardy because I enjoyed it. And then when Alex decided he was going to stay on, they came up with Sports Jeopardy and we did I think over one hundred episodes of that on the same set. Alex was a big help with me, went to dinner with him. I still have his voicemail on my phone. He goes, Dan, Alex Trebek here, and you don't have to say Alex Trebek here, it's just hey. Because we were going to dinner, and I said, just let me know where you want to go.
Speaker 3: And we went so early.
Speaker 2: We went at five o'clock because I had to do the morning show in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: And he goes, what time do you want to go to dinner? I said, could we go at five o'clock?
Speaker 2: And he said yes, and five o'clock in La No one in the no one in the restaurant, no one but a very generous person, and had an opportunity that was the one that I wanted. So when Price is Right came along, I was like, that's not what I want to do. And then they didn't tell me the salary, and then I'm like, nah, let somebody else do that. They like, Drew Carey is gonna host Prices Right for ten million dollars a year. I'm like, damn, okay, but I'm still happy seeing you guys every single day. And I don't want you guys to ever leave. Nice. Yeah, I wasn't talking to Utah. You guys is like Paulie and Seaton and Marvin. There By the way, Todd has a sports enterteees and we haven't done that in a while. So Marvin, would you hit the music? Here is Todd's sports entertees.
Speaker 8: Coming up on Sports Center? Will it be a cult day in Hell? Before Jonathan Taylor plays again for Indy Deep Cuts, which players were sent packing by their NFL teams a less than giant performance. How Alex left a few nibblets on the Cobb team. USA dominates in the Fever World Cup. But does anyone care Week one of the college football season about to kick off. Will the Dogs pound their way to another title?
Speaker 4: Venus envy?
Speaker 9: Not quite?
Speaker 8: The door closes at the open for the elder Williams, Hey lo and goodbye. What's left of the Angels. She's a ride that Ryder Cup. But we're the right picks made. We're glad you choose US Sports Center next.
Speaker 5: Nice?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 7: I like it well done.
Speaker 3: Don't need to do it every day or every week or every.
Speaker 2: Month, but yeah, just sprinkling it when sprinkling when you think it's going to be something great and that was very good talks. Yes, I was listening to it.
Speaker 5: I was like, man, that sounds like a really nice, clean sports center. She's like, they really hear and then he starts throwing in the innuendo, like there he is, there's my boy.
Speaker 2: He did venus envy. Yeah, yeah, venus envy. Good him back, That's good.
Speaker 3: She's a ride is great.
Speaker 5: I can't say that in Dublin on radio, well on radio on radio, Oh, you can't on radio. That would be frowned upon.
Speaker 7: It might be improper.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of things that I was confused about what you could say and not say in Ireland.
Speaker 5: Like when you when we have Rebecca Lowe on and there's certain phrase who hit her? She laughs because.
Speaker 2: Well no, she'll go you when I say wanker and she go, you can't say that, Dan.
Speaker 7: I think she genuinely gets upset by that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, but I think if we were on London radio we probably couldn't say it. Here no one.
Speaker 3: Else Ryan and Honolulu joins us.
Speaker 13: Here we go, Oh dad, hey, Ryan, can I asked poule paps to please wish a lovely young lady Molly paps the happy birthday for me.
Speaker 5: Sure sure, two days ago I would have I would have been perfect, exactly.
Speaker 14: So rest in Pasteball Barka ninety nine.
Speaker 3: The age is right.
Speaker 14: He made it to one hundred without going over.
Speaker 3: There's one thing you needed to do.
Speaker 14: To host the prices, right, Dan, cream rints your hair. It's too poofy.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Ry.
Speaker 14: But also Dan, I'm eleventh on the DP show depth chart and Fritzy got bumped to twelfth.
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 3: It may change with disappearance.
Speaker 14: All right, Well you know you know who's fourth on my dann It death shot. Dan, Dan, you used to not like gambling or fantasy football. And the man's greatest right is the right to change his mind. So if you change your mind about Fritzy, I can book guests.
Speaker 3: No, no, no no.
Speaker 2: When Ryan came in and then he was auditioning for everybody's job, and I go, he's, you know I could do that better. He was backstabbing Tyler. He goes, you know I could be a lot better at answering phones. I go, no, Tyler's my guy. Well I'm funnier than Todd. Todd's my guy. Ryan and Honolulu will remain a caller and that's it.
Speaker 3: There's a full court press.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh wait a minute here, So.
Speaker 9: This was a guest in the man cave that you invited in.
Speaker 4: I didn't that was allowed to join us for a little bit.
Speaker 3: He was going to take a part of the phase.
Speaker 9: He decided to try to go after everyone.
Speaker 2: And then he was asking about, you know, jobs, if he could work on the show.
Speaker 3: And I go, no, not right now, you know, I like that who we have.
Speaker 2: And then he was like, I'm funnier than Todd, and I go, you might be, but Todd's my guy.
Speaker 9: Seems very professional. A way to handle them.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Anything else that needs to be mentioned for is Chris Simms joining us in studio.
Speaker 9: He has running us by zoom in about five ten minutes from there.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, let's see anything else that needs to be mentioned here?
Speaker 3: Mm oh.
Speaker 2: By the way, the Premier League is on NBC streaming on Peacock.
Speaker 3: It's Brighton.
Speaker 2: I'm the only one here who's been to Brighton and off to a great start hosting Newcastle.
Speaker 3: Let's see then.
Speaker 2: On Sunday, two bitter rivals matching up in London, Arsenal and Manchester United the Premier League on NBC and Peacock. We'll take a break. We'll talk some football with Chris Sims right after this. With the NFL season right around the corner, NonStop football action is in sight. You can get in on all the action with DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NFL. Right now, new customers can bet just five dollars and score two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly, not missing out on any of the action. All DraftKings customers can take advantage of two new offers every game this September. Life's more fun when you're in on all the action. Download the DraftKings sports Book app and do that before kickoff. Use the code Patrick, get two hundred dollars and bonus bets instantly. That's when you bet just five dollars on any NFL bet only on DraftKings Sportsbook use the promo code Patrick.
Speaker 8: The crown is yours for twenty one and over in most eligible states, but age varies by jurisdiction. Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and wy.
Speaker 9: Or text Hope and Y four six seven three six nine.
Speaker 8: Bonus issue is free bets one early win token issued at Opton Moneyline Bets only. Deposit and wagering restrictions apply. Eligibility in terms of DraftKings dot Com slash Football terms.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. I saw this story, I wanted to get to it. I hope I have time. Jannis is looking at is he going to sign a contract extension with the Box? And if I'm Yanis, I wouldn't because I'm going to look at Chris Middleton, Drew Holliday, Brook Lopez. They're in their early to mid thirties. And if you're Yanis at this point in your career, you know, is this going to be a situation like Kareem abdul Jabbar when he left Milwaukee and went to the Lakers. And then I like the headline because if you want to get clicks, it's Lakers Knicks. Would be interested in Yannis. How about the entire league would be interested in Yannis? Like, you know, tell me the teams that aren't interested in Yannis, then you would have a story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauline, I got Yannis this year making forty five million, next year forty nine million. He won't be in that. I don't think he's gonna be top five paid players in the league next year. And then he has a player option for twenty five to twenty six at fifty two million. Again, he's going to be probably outside the top five per year pay.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just wonder about this. Chris Middleton's been banged up. He's thirty two. Drew Holliday is probably thirty three, thirty four, Brook Lopez is probably mid thirties as well, and you start to look at do you want to be part of a rebuild If you're Yannis?
Speaker 3: Holiday is how old? Marvin thirty three?
Speaker 4: Eh?
Speaker 2: Okay, so Middleton thirty two, Holiday thirty three, Lopez is probably thirty.
Speaker 4: So New York get ready?
Speaker 3: Yeah, number thirty four? You're New York Knicks.
Speaker 4: Photo shot those jerseys?
Speaker 3: Now, I know.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: Chris Sims Pro Football Talk Live co host and an analyst for Football Night in America. He's going to be in the booth with Mike Tarico this weekend Big ten Football. It's Michigan against East Carolina that'll be at noon Eastern and he of course has the Chris Sims Unbuttoned podcast as well. How big of a story is Jim Harball not coaching the first three games going to be on your broadcast this weekend?
Speaker 11: Well, I mean we're certainly going to hit on it, you know, I mean, he is Jim Harbaugh. He's, you know, one of the best coaches in college football. He's kind of a polarizing personality. So and we're at Michigan, and yeah, we're gonna hit on that. I'm sure a good amount. But you know, I think, big picture of things, first three games the year, Michigan's really talented.
Speaker 4: You know, they got a lot of.
Speaker 11: Older, veteran type of players for a college football team. I don't think it's going to affect them very much. And we know he's gonna be all over that program even if he's not, you know, on the field with them on an every minute, day to day basis.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how did it go from Harball was in jeopardy of losing his job, getting a pay cut, and now he's one of the great coaches in college football.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, you know, I think results what's happened the last few years. The market place, right, there's you know, teams that have been interested in him. There was no doubt the Denver Broncos wanted to hire Jim Harball last year.
Speaker 4: So I think between that and where they've been as a.
Speaker 2: Program, did they wn Harball before they wanted Sean Payton in Denver?
Speaker 11: Definitely? Yes, one hundred percent. So he was the first choice. He was He was the first choice, yes, And and you know, I think it kind of he hemmed and hawed a little bit there about you know, oh I might take.
Speaker 4: The job, and then he didn't. And then he kind of went ooh I might take it and then he didn't.
Speaker 2: That's I understand, right, Would you take Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh if you're den So you're.
Speaker 11: Just trying to start a fight with me and Jim Harbaugh right off the bat here, huh? I mean, well, I would. I'm I'm a big Sean Payton fan. That's not listen. I'm from the Bill Parcells, Phil Simms, Bill Belichick, school of coaching. So I certainly respect Jim Harbaugh's approach and what he does. Sean Payton's also in that school of coaching, though, and he worked under Parcells and he's got a blend of offensive genius with physicality to go along with it. You know those Saints teams before he left, Hey, they were big and physical on both sides of the ball, and I don't think he gets credit for that, you know, part of his coaching. So yeah, I guess i'd take Sean Payton. Yeah, surely a quarterback era offensive mind like that. Yeah, I'm going to take him.
Speaker 2: Can Russell Wilson play his way out of the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 4: Yes? Is he?
Speaker 11: Is?
Speaker 5: He?
Speaker 4: Is he in the Hall of Famer?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Is he? Well?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah last year if he has a bad year this year, like it felt like he was a Hall of Famer with Seattle.
Speaker 4: Right right, I'm with you.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's certainly the trajectory where he was going was Hall of Fame. If it continues to be what it was last year, and we look at Denver and go, you know, whoa they're having to still manipulate the offense and kind of you know, manage him to a degree, and then things he can and can't do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gonna take some luster off.
Speaker 11: And especially with Sean Payton, you know that puts more of a bulls eye on it.
Speaker 4: I mean again, we saw what he did with Drew Brees, even.
Speaker 11: What he did with Drew Brees towards the end of his career when he wasn't you know, the Drew Brees. We remember it in his prime, so we expect results. He's gonna have answers. He's got a better offensive line. I'd be shocked if Russell Wilson doesn't look more like the Hall of Fame type guy over the guy we saw last year.
Speaker 3: What are the Patriots doing?
Speaker 11: That's a great I know Florie and I talked about that today. It was a shocker. It was a shocker in the sense of, you know, what's the plan. There's no veteran out there they look at that go oh, well, they'll sign him.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know Colt McCoy's out there.
Speaker 11: But the thing I always bring up with New England that offense is a different language than most offenses in football. So it's not like you can just go, hey, we're gonna sign a guy off a street and he'll get up the speed here in two or three weeks. It's gonna take some time, you know, So that's where I don't understand it. I think ultimately Bailey z Appy will be back practice squad, back up. I think they're probably trying to finagle some roster spots here, hope some other teams, you know, maybe fill some roster spots, and then now they don't need one of their guys and they can stash him on practice squad. I think he got a little of that going on. But this too, Dan, you can't forget about this all right. New England for one, has always been you know, Phil Simms, Tom Brady, Drew Bludsoe, Vinnie Tests. They like those type of quarterbacks, right. I never thought Bailey Zappi was really their cup of tea. And then the other thing on top of that is he didn't play well this preseason. You know, he didn't get much talk about it, but the last two games were not impressive.
Speaker 4: The first game wasn't that impressive. He didn't look even.
Speaker 11: Good physically, nor did he make necessarily great decisions.
Speaker 4: And I think that led us to where we are right now. Too.
Speaker 2: He's Chris Sim's Pro Football Talk Live co host an analyst on Football Night in America. Which coach is more likely to have a hot seat, Bill Belichick or Nick Saban.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 11: I think, Man, it's crazy either way, right, but Belichick, you.
Speaker 3: Know, let's say they win six games this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's hot seat time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: At what point does Robert Kraft goo Bill maybe time to you know, have some nice parting gifts here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Well in my heart of hearts, right, And you know, I know some people connected to the situation, and nobody knows definitively, but I would say it's this year or next year or the last year for Bill Belichick. Okay, not only people that know him and connected to him, you know, just other things I've heard as well. I think we're going that direction. Yes, you go six and eleven.
Speaker 4: He might be.
Speaker 11: Shown the door a little quicker than maybe he would like, right, And you know, again, they're a franchise that's very proud, and I am a little shocked at how the New.
Speaker 4: England fan base has been as.
Speaker 11: Critical as Belichick has, you know, ever since Brady left. But that's just the way the current statuses of the professional sports and Saban College a little different and they's still a prime awesome football team in college football.
Speaker 2: Why is Trey Lance a bust? But the person who drafted him not considered a bust in their job.
Speaker 3: They they made the mistake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, you're right.
Speaker 11: I mean listen, well, Shanahan the evaluate or Shanahan the coach saved Shanahan the evaluator. Right, we've seen that before. We could say that about the guy we just talked about Belichick.
Speaker 4: He always made.
Speaker 11: Some you know, questionable who second third round, first round picks where we were like, eh, but.
Speaker 4: It didn't matter because he coaches way out.
Speaker 11: Of it and we're going, no, there they are in the ANC Championship game. You know, I don't ever fault Shanahan, John Lynch. They took their cut, right, they took their swing. They wanted an upgraded quarterback. They tried to get a guy that they believed they can make into a superstar, a Josh Allen, a mahomes Ish. You know, I never saw that, right, So they've gotten flack out there.
Speaker 4: It certainly has hurt their football team.
Speaker 11: But you know, for that move, I could tell you ten other moves they made and go damn that was a good one. That was an impressive draft pick right there. Look at this mid round guy. That's awesome and all that. So where as we both know, it's one of the better orchestrated teams in all of football.
Speaker 2: And I know because it's the Cowboys, that's gonna garner more headlines, more coverage with Trey Land going there. But I'm just trying to understand this. He got no playing time with San Francisco, he was injured, lost out to Sam. Darnold's the backup quarterback. How's this going to be better? He's not better than Cooper Rush in Dallas. No, No, So he's gonna put pressure on Dak Prescott. Listen, these are all the things that I raised these questions too.
Speaker 4: I'm with you in that logic one. Hey, Listen, I was shocked the forty nine.
Speaker 11: Ers even got a fourth round pick and got the Cowboys to pay the five point nine million or five point four million, whatever it was. I mean, that was shocking to me. I Mean, if my buddy Kyle Shanahan had called me, I'd be like, you're not getting anything for him, dude, you better keep them or or you're just gonna have to release them. I would not have thought that. Now we know whether there's some mother I know there were some teams that were thinking about it, that it become a bidding war.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 11: You know, I do think Shanahan was very open to keeping him, so that probably dropped drove up the price a little bit. But yeah, the logic of Dallas, you hit it, Dan one Hey, Cooper Rush is a pretty good backup. Is the high end potential of Trey Lance greater than Cooper Rush?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 11: But the thing I keep going back to is he hasn't played football in three years. I mean, we're going on four years here, I don't know and understand. And then he's gonna learn a new offense, so I don't think he's beaten out Cooper Rush anytime soon. And then so and then we're gonna go what into the offseason and go ooh, if he has a good offseason, this is gonna put pressure on Dak Prescott to renegotiate his contract. It seems far fetched to me. It seems like there's you know, hoping to strike gold here and put pressure on the Dak Prescott situation. But I don't know in reality if that's gonna actually happen.
Speaker 2: I asked this earlier. More likely to win their division? The Jets or the Panickers.
Speaker 11: Ooh well, okay, AFC East. You know the Jets and the Dolphins are the two most talented teams in that division. I have no qualms about saying that. If you gave me more likely, I'm gonna go with the Green Bay Packers. I think the Green Bay Packers have the best roster in the NFC North. I know Jordan loves a question mark. He got better in every game I saw enough to go. I had to do this on my podcast yesterday. I picked Green Bed and win the North, Dan I did, so that's out there. I picked Miami to win the East barely over the Jets, and I put the Bills third and the Patriots fourth. Right, So AFC is crazy this year. It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 4: But I'm not giving up on the Packers and what they've built there.
Speaker 2: Ever see somebody get cut?
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I mean like cut, like physically cut or not from I mean I've been.
Speaker 2: Cut, cut from the roster, but yeah, but watching somebody like, how does it work where they call somebody in and you could be waiting because you might get called in as well. But what's that feeling like? Are you in the locker room? And then they go, hey Tommy, come here?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, it's usually like that.
Speaker 11: There's a guy that goes around that's the Grim Reaper, right, he's the Grim Reaper. Turn that day, right, something like that. He's holding a clipboard and he's you know, hey, can you come up to coaches office? And usually it is a day where everybody's there. And usually unless you're, you know, one of the ten best players on the team, everybody's looking out of the corner of their eye, everybody, and yeah, when you see him walk in and you know you're not one of those top guys of the team, you always are like, oh, here he comes. Which direction he's going? Oh he didn't come for me, so you're happy about that. And then you go, oh, man, there goes there goes Tommy. Tommy's gonna get cut. Damn, that's Dan. I can't believe they're gonna cut Tommy. It's an odd day in the NFL, it really is. And you know, having having the Grim Reaper come towards me, I wasn't sure. I was literally one of those guys where I was like, I don't know, I'm making a good amount of money this year, but they don't have a real viable backup.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 11: I still wasn't the same after my injury, and I remember when the guy started coming my way, I kind of slummed my shoulders and I was like, man, really, and he looked at me and he's like, I'm sorry, Chris, and it's just, you know, it's a horrible feeling. It really is, especially for people who have been at the top of sports for a long time and all of a sudden you're told you're not good enough on this occasion.
Speaker 3: Did you cry?
Speaker 4: I'm a crier. I didn't cry, you know. I cried there. I did. I cried.
Speaker 11: I did, and now I'm remembering it, you know, bringing me back there. I cried as I was kind of saying bye to Josh McDaniels, Brian Xander's the GM. You know, you get sad about the relationships. Where's my life gonna go? But me crying is no big thing. Dan, I'm a crier anyways, Like, like my family makes fun of me. I'm a crier. When the Super Bowl's about to start, I'm a crier. And Armageddon when the guy tells, you know, ben affleckx, you know, soon to be wife, permission to shake the hand of the bravest you know, or the daughter of the bravest man.
Speaker 4: I'm the worst that way, So don't don't look at me like that.
Speaker 3: Do they escort you out of the building when you get cut, They they.
Speaker 4: Don't escort you, but they keep their eye on you. Right.
Speaker 11: So when I was with the Denver Broncos and got cut, I.
Speaker 4: Wanted to keep my.
Speaker 11: Josh McDaniels, you know, New England offensive stuff. I was thinking I might be a coach either a way. Even if I wasn't a coach, I'd like to have it, you know, some of the play sheets, the playbook. I was gonna steal all that. I was gonna go, I'm taking this and screw you.
Speaker 4: I'm out of here.
Speaker 11: But they watched me out of their corner of their eye and they saw me put that damn thing in my bag and they said no, no, no, we got to.
Speaker 4: Take that, and they took it.
Speaker 11: And I was like, really, come on, Josh knows, I'm not gonna you know, but but yeah, they watch you and then, you know, don't escort you out of the building, but shake your hand and hey, say see you later.
Speaker 3: But you're allowed to keep your jersey.
Speaker 4: I had to keep your jersey, kept my helmet, right. You get some of that stuff for sure. Yeah, yeah, you do.
Speaker 11: But you know that's it's things you don't really care about at the time.
Speaker 4: But it's cool, you know, a few years down the road.
Speaker 2: Sorry to bring up the emotional baggage that you carry about, It's okay.
Speaker 11: I got over it PTSD. I smoked that away a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Don't worry you literally smoked that away.
Speaker 4: Yes I did.
Speaker 2: But your dad is one of the toughest guys you ever played the position. Juxtaposed that with you that you're crying as you're leaving, like.
Speaker 3: Well, is your dad a cryer?
Speaker 4: No he's not.
Speaker 11: But you know what's crying got to do with toughness, you know, That's what I say. I've seen some I've seen some of the toughest people I've ever met in life where I go. I wouldn't fight that guy if you gave me a million dollars in cash, and I've seen him cry a few times. My dad's you know, old school Kentucky. I mean, I don't think he said, I love you until I was seventeen years old, and I just broke him down finally, right, So that's just not in him. And yeah, it's been very limited times I've seen, you know, my dad shut a tear. It's usually with death or something like that.
Speaker 3: And this feels like a therapy session.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 11: It's always a therapy session with you, Dan, You're like the mastermind.
Speaker 4: Of questions and setting people up. You are the mastermind.
Speaker 2: Have fun with Tariko there and plain Ice in ann Arbor.
Speaker 4: I will I will tell all those jerks.
Speaker 3: I said, Hi, I assume he's talking about you, guys.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: Chris says, hey you jerks, Chris. He says, fine, thank you, Chris, Hey guys. Chris Sims Pro Football Talk Live co host Full Disclosure the anthem in Dublin. I cried, oh yeah, when you had the Navy band and you had Notre Dame spand and uh it was it was awesome. Got emotionally there, yeah, poets.
Speaker 5: Since there are many things. I also cried when the short rib platter is brought out in the suite. The finest thing I.
Speaker 8: Found out that was messed potatoes hanging underneath there.
Speaker 9: No one saw that come.
Speaker 2: How about we take a break glass call for phone calls, what we learn what's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Right after this.
Speaker 2: Seaton yesterday said that he was going to start dressing up and they got back from Dunaway. When are you starting to dress up now?
Speaker 7: I don't think I said dress up. I think I just said dressed nicer.
Speaker 6: Okay, you didn't start today, No, No, I'm probably not starting this week either.
Speaker 3: Okay, so next week you start getting dressed me nicer.
Speaker 6: I might start dressing nicer next week. Yeah, okay, Yeah, what's going to start from the ground up?
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It starts with your shoes. Wolf and Shepherd, Marvin. You know that every outfit that you put on, it starts with your shoes.
Speaker 4: Always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wolf and Shephard, You're gonna love these shoes. Steve Nash wears them. Rob Gronkowski, Maria Sharapova, Aaron Andrews. Yours Truly designed in Los Angeles, crafted from premium Italian leather in Portugal. First thing we did when we got our shoes, we smell the leather. It smells like Italian leather.
Speaker 3: You know. The shoes are the future of footwear.
Speaker 2: Never sacrifice stuff for comfort, you don't have to With Wolf and Shepherd, It's the future of footwear. Discover shoes were always meant to be Wolfandshepherd dot com. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 1: What's Good Jollish main man Michael Smith, esteemed NFL analyst and certified fantasy football legend, allow me to present to you your new favorite fantasy football podcast, The Dynasty Exchange, hosted by my first round rookie picks, Davis, Dylan and Josh, three guys who most definitely know their stuff. They're the co commissioners of the coolest and most cutthroat Dynasty league you'll ever come across the Yacht Club, and now they're the co hosts of the most elite Now make that the definitive dynasty program in the game. It's dedicated to only the most devoted of diehards, the guys like me who can't stay off sleeper in KTC and trust me, you won't regret making the choice to follow their dynasty advice. Listen to Michael Smith presents the Dynasty Exchange on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Last Call for phone calls. What we learned, What's in store tomorrow. Went out with my wife last night celebrating our thirty sixth wedding anniversary. I thought it was our thirty seventh, which was awkward, and got our thirty six roses made up for that.
Speaker 3: I did on the.
Speaker 2: Card, I said, happy thirty sixth, but it feels like thirty seven years. Love you for life. Then we went to dinner and went to our favorite sushi place, and then all of a sudden, somebody asked about sake bombs.
Speaker 3: I don't know about you. I don't get the whole sak thing I've tried.
Speaker 2: I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to be tasting, because saki doesn't taste very good.
Speaker 5: Pauli, sake is made from fermented rice, rice, water, yeast, and a mold called kogi. I have a theory that sak is kind of like a communal Hey, let's all do them, and you knock them down and everyone makes that it tastes kind of cardboardish, not very it's not a great taste.
Speaker 3: No, I just don't get it.
Speaker 2: They're getting people to be like, hey, you want to do sake and I go, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's quick, it's fast, it's usually you know.
Speaker 3: But can you get roughed up on sake?
Speaker 5: Let me check the alcohol content?
Speaker 4: Yes? Ton?
Speaker 9: Is that what they scored? It in your mouth? Like a yeah, I don't love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I'm like, what am I doing? This isn't good? How about you know, we do some Yeggermeister or something. Get with this party going, which is also not good. It's not in gold Schlager, not good, not good.
Speaker 5: No, you know, it's real good.
Speaker 6: Is a solju? It's like a Korean alcohol that's real good.
Speaker 3: And I haven't had that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's very good.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, but yeah saki bombs.
Speaker 2: And then there's a thing where you have to do this on the on the bar and then all of a sudden you put the saki on the chopsticks and then it goes right into your beer and then you.
Speaker 3: Have to shoot the beer.
Speaker 7: Did you go to habachi?
Speaker 3: No? No?
Speaker 2: This is my my favorite sushi plays. Okay, yeah, momos.
Speaker 6: We used to go to take our son to hibachi for like special things, like, hey, did something good, Let's go get hibachis love.
Speaker 2: That with the onion rings and the little smoke and like Jude Jude, and I'm like, all right, it's good. And then flipping things up into the the chef's hat when he's there, like, uh, it'll be a shrimp tails.
Speaker 3: He'll be like, and then flip it up and be up on top of this.
Speaker 5: And there's always like the four year old who was his first time there and then did that huge flame like it's a white snake concert. Oh my god, I love that. This day in sports history got a couple for you day, and a couple of people you like. Ty Cobb made his major league debut with the Tigers nineteen oh five. The New York Giants beat the Brooklyn Dodgers one zero. In nineteen eighty eight baseball, the game took fifty seven minutes to play. Nineteen eighty four, US President Ronald Reagan, who used to be a sportscaster, was inducted to the Sportscaster's Hall of Fame. How about that In nineteen eighty four. Ben Johnson had a huge day in nineteen eighty seven, followed by a couple awful days. He set the world record in the one hundred meter race in the Olympics at nine point eight three. He was stripped of that two days later to the steroid use.
Speaker 7: There goes Mickey Mannel.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go again.
Speaker 7: It is high, it is far, it is gone.
Speaker 3: Mister Gorvichov, tear down this wall.
Speaker 5: Great hair on that guy.
Speaker 3: Yes he did. Mommy, mommy, Let's see what else happened on this day.
Speaker 2: Oh, major league record was tied by Geno Petrowi on this day in nineteen eighty seven, Geno Petrolley of the Rangers. He tied them major league record with six pass balls in a game. Charlie Huff was on the mound the knuckleballer. I still love what Bob Youuker said about catching a knuckleball. They said, it's easy, just wait till it stops rolling. The most. Uh, let's see the most. I don't even know how to phrase this. Most times a player has grounded into a double play in a season. And I don't know if this guy still holds the record. He was set in nineteen eighty four. Thirty six times this player grounded into a double play.
Speaker 7: So somebody who's not afraid to put the ball back.
Speaker 2: In the put it into play, not strike it out, saying yeah, yeah, if I gave you the team, that'd probably give it away. Nineteen eighty four slugger and that's not his name, but he was a slugger and he grounded into thirty six double plays that season.
Speaker 3: Paul Gary Guyetti, Gary got no good fall, good guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'll be the one that if it's a good guest, Gary Guy Eddie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Tom Brunansky might have been a better guess. He hit more home runs, I think, yes, yes, see Tony Gwynn, No, Tony Gwynn didn't. Well, just figured because he was you know he yeah, but he was just he's not a slugger.
Speaker 7: Oh it's slugger.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he probably didn't ground into thirty six double plays in his career.
Speaker 7: But he's a guy who put the ball back.
Speaker 2: Yes, he did put it in play, you see, right past the infielders.
Speaker 3: Marvin Jim right.
Speaker 2: Yes, bloom bloo bloom bloo bloom. Congratulations Marvin, you've done it again.
Speaker 4: Not just the basketball guy.
Speaker 2: No, no, he's done it again. And Uh, final results to the pole question, we had a lot of pole questions today.
Speaker 6: We had many, as they would say, all right, a plethora of pole questions.
Speaker 7: Dan more likely to end up on the hot seat right now.
Speaker 6: Bill Belichick has eighty six percent of the vote versus Nick Saban. It's not even cle okay, we also have more likely to win their division this season, Dan the Jets are the Packers. Want to take a guess Packers. The Jets have fifty six percent of people are wrong? Boom, Okay, a lot of people are wrong. People are wrong, and which Danette wouldn't survive a deep show cutdown day?
Speaker 7: Todd, I'm sorry, You're still very much in the lead.
Speaker 3: What about the depth chart?
Speaker 2: Was it Todd finishing lower than everybody else on the Gan Patrick Show depth chart so.
Speaker 6: Far it would appear, Uh, Paul and I are sort of neck and neck at the top of that depth chart.
Speaker 7: Marvin is in third. Todd is very very low.
Speaker 2: Sorry, behind the thrill Yeah, behind Ryan and Honolulu. Todd, would you learn today?
Speaker 8: Chris Sims says Jim Harbor, not Sean Payton, the Broncos' first choice to be their next head coach.
Speaker 2: Uh Seat O'Connor. Matthew Berry is the Michael Jordan of fantasy.
Speaker 7: Fantasy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't bring Jordan to a pickup game.
Speaker 7: That's a great story.
Speaker 2: It is great jay z Storyuh Marvin, what did you learn today?
Speaker 4: Both and Chris Jones both still holding out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but nobody's talking about that.
Speaker 5: Uh PAULI moments ago Chris Simms did that.
Speaker 2: Yes, oooh, okay, okay there that's what I learned. Brought you by Discover credit cards. They do something pretty awesome at the end of your first year. The automatically double all the cash back you've earned, everything earned doubled, the trip to Doublin Ireland, Doublin all.
Speaker 3: The cash back.
Speaker 2: See the terms. Check it out for yourself at Discover dot com. Slash Match, thanks for allowing us into your life today. We appreciate it for Todd, Fritz, Seaton, O'Connor, Marvin the Prince, and Polly Pamps. I'm Dan Patrick. One more item is we close out this Wednesday show tire rack dot com. They've got everything you eat. Anything ever goes wrong, even if you're not even having problems with your tires, just remember tirerack dot com because they have the full lineup of han Kuk tires and Fritzi loves the han Kuk Yeah Yeah ship fast and free to you or one of over ten thousand recommended installers, free road hazard protection for two years. I love this mobile tire installation. It's available in a lot of areas. And they did that here at the Man Cave. They came out and they changed the tires on picture day razmobile and they did it in less than an hour. So they bring the tires to you at your home or your office, install them on site. Ultra convenient and a game changer. Go to tiraq dot com slash Dan see the entire han Kuk test results and the special offers that they have. Remember anything that goes wrong. If you need any information on tires and how and what and where you drive, that's tire rack dot com, slash Dan, tirec dot com.
Speaker 3: The way tire buying should be