Speaker 1: You saw early Tom. That's a difference. See we had Tom Brady. You had Tom motherfucking Brady. See that that's who he was.
Speaker 2: You're drinking Tom had exactly I had chisel jaw, avocado e beautiful hair. How do you smell good after practice? Tom? Today's game is the two thousand and three AFC Championship with Tye.
Speaker 1: You fought the law and the law won. This is the game to go to the Super Bowl. We're playing against our rivals in Peyton Manning. You are one of.
Speaker 2: The greatest past defenders I've ever watched. Could you have dominated in this this generation?
Speaker 1: I would adapt. I'll say if I played the way that I played, I probably wouldn't get no check. You know you're gonna get fine on everything we would have fought. Yeah, we would have been fined. But guess what, we've been drinking a beer afterwards.
Speaker 2: Your years that you played. Picked off Dan Marino, Yeah, picked off Steve Young.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My first pick was Jim Kelly. Jim Kelly. My longest interception was off Tom though. That picks it. What's your best Bill Belichick story? You want me give you one more? That's your in my contract? Shot up? Oh? God damn it. Shot o'clock, Shot o'clock. I mean we're talking Bill.
Speaker 2: You gotta get a little toasty.
Speaker 1: So let's go to Bill's ass. Right.
Speaker 2: So, Games with Names is a production of iHeart Radio. Welcome to Games with Names. This is our fiftieth game, the Big five.
Speaker 1: Oh what a game for fifty two.
Speaker 3: We made it guys, fifty two, we made it fifty also fifty as well.
Speaker 1: We lost fifty two. Oh fuck yeah.
Speaker 2: But thank you guys for watching and support and it's been so fun awesome. It's been awesome to hear read the comments on all the platforms. Uh, listening to the voicemails. It's pretty it's pretty fun to still be connected with, you know, people that love sport.
Speaker 4: It's it's been great and you can't wait to see him at the live show.
Speaker 1: To live show.
Speaker 3: We're gonna pack it out. What we do that chromeo, let me look that.
Speaker 4: What can we doing today?
Speaker 2: Today's game is the two thousand and three AFC Championship game, with.
Speaker 1: The Colts traveling in to old Foxborough, snowy fox Burrow against the Patriots with no one other than the man who literally smelled blood in the water when Peyton Manning was throwing the football tie. You fought the law and the law one.
Speaker 2: We get into talking the difference between Tom Brady and Tom motherfucking.
Speaker 4: Braik, Tom motherfucking Brady.
Speaker 1: We also get into uh, what's a dog? Who's a dog? The definition of dog, a lot of dog talk. And we also took a few shots of Corbus vodka.
Speaker 3: If you can tell the first episode that we let them throw them back on.
Speaker 1: Geez, there goes the detox we got.
Speaker 4: We might have to do games with names after dark. Get an alcohol sponsor, start.
Speaker 3: Letting it fly times.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a great episode. I can't wait. Let's go. Let's go, Hell yeah, let's go. January eighteen, two thousand and four, to let Stadium, Foxborough, Massachusetts. On the snowy day in New England. Peyton Manning in the coast are looking to punch their ticket to the super Bowl. But sometimes even a sheriff has to answer to the law. I fought the law one game. I fought the law and I got drunk.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Games and Names, and we have an unbelievably special guest.
Speaker 1: We have Ty Law in the studio. Welcome to Games Names, but oh man thank you, thank you for having me. Man. Hey, I'm a big fan right now. Man, I'm a fan boy, Julian. He was a beast dog. I'm trying to tell you, bro was you was a fucking animal. Man.
Speaker 2: You know what hearing that from you means so much because you are one of the greatest past defenders I've ever watched, and it was it was crazy And we're gonna go over the two thousand and three AFC Championship game Colts verse Pats, and it was in the biggest moments, the biggest games that you always saw ty Law make the big play when the team needed the big play.
Speaker 1: Now, why'd you pick this game? Why do you like this game?
Speaker 2: And we'll get we'll get into the details of it. But like off cuff, why'd you pick this game?
Speaker 1: I think it started for where I grew up in all Equippa, Pennsylvania. I mean, we eight slipped played football, you know, we played basketball to stay in shape for football and it's for something to do. So, I mean, it's just my town in my city, That's what it was all about. So the first people I looked up to were the high school guys when I was when I was a jit, you know what I mean. So I looked up to those guys because they were the popular, They were the stars around town. In my little hometown, everything shuts down when it comes to football, you know, you would think you would be at a floor to state game. And I'll equippa, because we got the horse, we got the fire Every time somebody scores, when you're in the town, you hear the fireworks going off. So it was a real community type of feel. And you wanted to be out there, and that's what And I knew that that was my ticket, if anything, you know, to get out and make a better name for myself, better life for myself. And you did.
Speaker 2: And and what was in the water out there in in western Pennsylvania because Dicka came from there, Reeves came from there. Two of I played with Reeve and he was probably the best corner I got.
Speaker 1: To play with. You missed the name Jules, the great, one of the greatest, who was greater than all in my opinion, Tony dor said, Tony Door, So al, equippa. We got four in the Hall of Fame. Four Hall of famers. Yeah, yeah, So the only town and like population of what seven eight if you know what I mean. And we got four Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well, I used to play. I went to Kent State and we used to play. We used to have all the Western Pa kids. Our little running back was Eugene Jervis and he was a stud. And it was very apparent that Western Pennsylvania, that Pittsburgh, that area that you're in. It was these they love football like die eat sleep football. And it's gotten kind of away from that. What do you think about the game right now? And how the hunger do you still see guys from your area still coming out and balling out?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Aliquippa for this year. The new hins Field. By the way, I want to send a shout out to the Heines Corporation because of course they were the Steelers, right everyboy new Heines Field. That's where you and I played at Heines Field. I guess the big dot coms came and they changed it. So Hines put an interest in Aliquippa because we never had a track, we never had a great feel. Whatever we dealt with and what we played it with, we made it our own. They came and opened up a brand new stadium this past year and it's beautiful. It was beautiful. And guess what went undefeated for the first time. Let's go and man, it's been crazy. And they're working on the state championship right now in basketball, playing right now up by eighteen. So I'm keeping in touch with my guys right now. But Aliquippa is everything to me. Man, you grew up a Steelers here. Hell no, hey, I was out. I grew look, I grew up a cowboy fan. Although I respect the Stealers and everybody in my hometown, they were diehard stealers and the only thing that used to irritate me is that when we played them after I got to the NFL, they wanted me to win. They wanted me to get five interceptions. I could in the game, but they want me to be on the other side of the score on the other side of the scoreboard and the loser bracket. That's how die hard the Pittsburgh Faithful is. But you know I was. I want to do something different. That's why I didn't go to pitt Everybody from ala Quippa, you think about Mike Dicker, Tony dor Set, Drel Reeves, they wanted to pit I wanted to do something different. You know, it's nothing against Pitt, but I wanted to. I didn't want to be to try to be the next Tony door Set because that's what everybody was because I was, you know, running back and all that stuff touchdowns. But I wanted to be the first time law. I realized, you can't be the next twenty door set. He's one of one. But I want to be one of one. And that's why I decided to go to the University of Michigan and just flip it up because a lot of the top athletes always go to Pitt or Penn State, and Penn State was out the goddamn question. I mean, you don't see nothing. You don't see nothing fucking corn fields and everything. When I was there at the time, you know what I mean, I thought I was children of the corner. I seen Malachi him up there. I was like, oh hell no, I man, I was never going up there. I was scared. Never been out there.
Speaker 2: You ain't missing that thing anything specific in this two thousand and three AFC Championship that that sticks out right when you think about it.
Speaker 1: Just the magnitude of the game. You know, if this is the game to go to the Super Bowl. We're playing against you know at that time, you know our arch Nyms is our rivals in Peyton Manning, you know the face of the league and you know along with Tom, so it was big and for me personally, I knew I had to go play like I had to get up for that game, you know these kind of games you circle, because I had to go against the great Marvin Harrison, you know what I mean, and Peyton Manny and I knew I was gonna get opportunities, so I didn't. I was always afraid of being on the wrong end of the highlights. Man, I did you cause you gotta wait a week to get some redemption. And guess what, you can't wait no week then you lose that game. You gotta wait a whole nother year to get some whole another year and the exactly exactly, the low lights exactly, And I was not about to have that. So I mean I was extra motivated, you know, you know, for that game, and for whatever reason, he kept coming my way. I mean, dumbest shit ever.
Speaker 4: But you know my favorite thing about this game. You talk about Marvin Harrison, you hat the same amount of catches.
Speaker 1: He did that was crazy, right, that mean, you know what, and with all due respect to Marvel, because I knew I had to put on you know, he was a stud. I mean he had that quickness. And you see his son right now, Oh my god, I mean that looked like the most pro ready rookie receiver that I've ever seen. Man, he's gonna go top ten, yeah, exactly, five, I think he might. I think he's gonna go top five. And in the Patriot everything from his dad. Could you imagine Marvin his dad with that size.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we're looking at it potentially, yes, exactly, We're looking at it. And you know that he's got you know, when your dad is Marvin Harrison and you're a bigger guy. Different, But you know, he was doing all those little drills that Marvin used to get those little comebacks at the fucking yes. Then he used to run that little comeback at the front line. Almost they used to run like the fake fake come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah yep, yeah, I mean I mean he shoulders. He was so good at that. But how I used to try to combat Marvin is to be physical. But I was like that with everybody, you know, to try to be physical. But really him. I say, you know what, sometime, let me go ahead and attack, you know, right away, and I like to play him on the line of scrimmage. I wasn't silly enough to play Marvin play him off. Hell no, you can't give him space. So maybe if I attack right now, make him uncomfortable, Peyton to go like this and go elsewhere, you know what I mean. That was that was my job scrimmage exactly. When at the line of scrimmage, man, they started putt him in motion though. That was the that was the thing they used to do because I used to try to. I used to get him at the line of scrimmage. They'll put him in motion to short motions and stuff like that, exactly exactly. It's crazy. You've been watching this dynasty. Yeah, look, I got to be honest. I only watched the first you know, I think the first three or three or four episodes because it's two parts on each one. But from what I'm hearing, you know, I don't like what I'm hearing. I got to really sit down. I've been so busy, you know, with Mabaka and just just keeping my head down doing me. But I don't like what I'm hearing what how they're making Bill look out, they're portraying Bill. I haven't you know, seen it, so I got to see it for myself to get a real assessment. But just from a lot of people, I mean, I don't like it because he make him look look bad guy. I don't like that. We got to talk about this politically because we still love the people that produced it, right absolutely, But I mean it's I mean, it's crazy to watch some of this and and you know, I did a four hour interview for this thing YouTube. Yeah, I was in for.
Speaker 2: Like two seconds because I didn't talk shit about Bill.
Speaker 1: I think I got the same thing because I was there. I probably was there over four hours. And I drove, you know, down to Naples because Bill Parcells he was I think he did it the day before I did end and then I mean I went down there. I mean it was an all day event, you know, and we they took a couple of little sound bites, but it was a hell of a lot more to the story of what as far as you know, how I view things, you know what I mean, And they didn't quite put that in there, nah, But I mean.
Speaker 2: It's Hollywood, right, you know, what I mean, you got it's clickbaity. You know, it's one of those things where it's gonna grab attention. People are gonna watch it. And you know, I tip my cap to the people that made it because we're talking about it.
Speaker 1: We're talking about it right. No, they started off hot though. I was like, Okay, this is gonna be good. I'm like, oh, we're gonna rivel the last dance off of this one. I'm feeling like, Okay, they're about to really amp it up, you know, because I was interested to hear the story. You know, with you guys, I've seen it. You know what I've seen it, what's portrayed of the story exactly, you know what I mean being around there, but I wasn't in the locker room. It's a little bit different when you know, you know, you take yourself out of it. You've been a part of this journey. You've seen you were on the field when the hit happened, the drew. You've seen Tom's progression and how we used to get on him and you know him being like, you know, a young guy and just so hungry. You know, you've seen his like hunger to try to get out there on the field, but no one can anticipate he would be the goat. And for anybody to to say they've seen that, it's full of shit because no one's seen that he would be the It's not even argument the greatest quarterback of all time. My thing is the greatest football player of all time. That's how I feel about Tom Brady. Who's the greatest quarterback? Tom Brady? And I don't know, no, but you know what I mean. It's like, you know how some Jews, you know how some stuff is debatable, And I mean you can sit there talk about you know, hockey, you know Greg Gretzky is gret Sky, and then you got a whole lot of other guys music or the other guy that is, you know, making all the ways you can talk about basketball, it is always going to be a debate with who was better or Michael Lebron instead of just looking at those guys or they were great and they in their time for what they did for the game. You got to add even Kobe in there, you know what I mean. If you want to put the thing on championships or best games, you got to talk about Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, regardless of what error that they was in. But there is a debate, there is absolutely no debate when it comes to who's the greatest quarterback of all time? You can say football player, because some people still think because of the Red Shirts, that they wasn't football players, you know what I mean. But I think Tom surpassed that notion, you know, of being as tough and as resilient as he was taking the hits, getting up, talking shit, getting in people's face. He was just a different breed. But it is no debate whatsoever of who's on the mount rushmore of the quarterback position. You know, it's people that's having some great stuff done. Right now, let's talk about Patrick Mahomes. He's doing some great, great things. But to put him, for some to say, in Tom Brady category, come on, man, too early, too soon. You gotta let it shape out exactly. He's doing some great things and great things, and he's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: But we just watched his documentary. I mean, I gotta see some crazy adverse situation. You gotta overcome someone's gonna die.
Speaker 1: The honeymoon honeymoon, right, and to be able to, you know, do it as consistently as he's done it. I mean, damnit, he was batting damn near five hundred to go to Super Bowls throughout his old career. That's crazy. So you have to play long enough to even be in the conversation. We got to start the conversation with it for right now, with Patrick Mahomes, even though he's on that trajectory, here's nobody. There's no denying that man. Love his game. I mean, it's the new breed. But you got to start with Montana. You got you gotta get him first, you know what I mean. You got Terry, you gotta get got exactly then Terry Bradshaw, he got four. What will we be talking Original TV twelve. What will we be talking about right now? If Jim Kelly happened to win for Super Bowls in the row, he will be in the conversation. Unfortunately they didn't win. But I think certain people get a lot of kudos for going to the championship. But you got to close it out, closed door. You got to close it that damn though.
Speaker 2: Now you saw early tom what do you what do you think what's the biggest thing he developed or what did you see in the later part of his career that he developed through his career.
Speaker 1: What made him special to you the willingness one to learn not have that much ego to where he wasn't that he couldn't you know, got frustrated with not getting this opportunity. I respect Tom so much for when he got that opportunity, he took it and ran with it. And I think you know when I said on the Dynasty, you know, we were going out, We're doing our little team dinner and myself Tom Llawyd malloy going up and he was like, I ain't giving this shit back. You know. That's all you can say is that, you know, that's the spirit, you know, hey, but me and Laurie looked at you like, bullshit, that's a hunted million dollars and may you're going back to the pine, big buddy when Drew come back. I mean, that's just what we thought from the business side of it. But when he was out there to play, all we asked him was don't don't blow it, you know what I mean, don't turn the ball over. He didn't develop into Tom Brady the best that we ever seen in our life. At that time. He was still a young guy. You know. We had a run game our defense was phenomenal. I mean you, I mean, you're not going to put up a lot of points on him. We had like the number one, number two defense in the league, you know what I mean. We were like that. So I mean he got to, you know, come in easy, not as much pressure. But when it was time, that's when you kind of seen that something special about this kid is when in crunch time as a young buck, he was cool. He was always real chilly. And then you start seeing him take more of a leadership role, a more vocal role, because he wasn't that vocal you know before. I don't think he was that confident to get up in front of the team. Got guys, you know, both guys like a Teddy Bruce kid, Willie McGinnis and those guys. They did. They did a lot of the talking, you know what I mean. Lawyer, you know, he was a big talker. You know, sometime you got to tell a lawyer to shut the head up. Man, we're trying to go home. But he liked to get at you know the end of the speech. I normally hear this when he see it, but sometime I'd be like, lawyer, man, would you shut the head up so we can go home long ass day, you know. But Tom eventually became that person to you know, talk, and he gained everybody's respect. Man, so you know much love to the go. Was there a specific game where you're like, all right, we could win with this guy. He's a super Bowl caliber quarterback. Now it may not have been that first seedson that first super Bowl, but somewhere along in this two thousand and three season, I mean, you guys started, you guys were fourteen to two. I mean, from the time that he won the super Bowl and became this big phenomenon and you know, everything that had happened and transpired during the season, you've seen it right there. He came in the next you know season with a different type of confidence, different type. No, he didn't let the fame get to his head to where he wasn't willing to put in that work. And he did that because I'm telling you, I think, I know we gave him a hard time because we didn't trust you yet. You know what I mean, you just you just got here. Yes, you're our teammate, but it's our job to talk shit every time in practice and put it throw it back in your face. You know, we was all talking at all times. He throw that over here. Sometimes I wouldn't even pick it up. I just backed the mother's bucker. I ain't gonna throw that bullshit. You know that's a pick. Come on, man, William McGinnis is Addy Rabel, I mean Rabel, wass man. It is nothing that is off limits, you know when it when it comes to you know, Rabel in his answer, whatever he might say, you know what I mean, as long as they ain't. You know, it might even be on a borderline personal, you know, for rape. You know, he might say something about your mom and your sister. I mean, just anything. But that's how he motivated, you know what I mean. And and like I said, he would just touch that line and back up off of it, you know what I mean. Rabel was the guy that passing out the damn drinks before practice. Cold as hell. We used to have to drive, see Jude, you you came in when the when the house was built, we had to drive the practice. Man. We in there a bunch of like a little bunch of Pop Warner kids would show the paths and hammels and benzes and ship going to practice. You know, everybody got their little Rabel got the flask over. Everybody go take uswigs next thing. You know, everybody keeping something in the car. So we out there as cold as hell. Cold cold sounds like you today. Oh yeah, Mike Rabel, thanks man, you know you inspire me. Oh my gosh. I used to be in that training room and oh, Jimmy Whalen used to tell us all the stories. The stories he tell us, the Rabel stories.
Speaker 2: He'd say, Tyla would come in on a Monday, he'd go jog the dunkin Donuts, grab his coffee, and then jogged back.
Speaker 1: Is that true? What's that story all about? He got it a little wrong, But I know he got it wrong with that. I ain't jogging the damn dunkin Donuts and jog back with a coffee. I used to come in every morning to jog. I'll do five miles period, you know what I mean. So I did that every every day. I mean, people would come in. I'm already seeing me on the highway, even if it's snowing. I'm I'm jogging. I'm trying to get it in because you know my job. We gave this like the cover two shell, right. But Bill always say you on your own, so we'd roll the coverages as we give a look. But I was always, you know, basically man or zone playing man, you know what I mean. So I just had to keep myself in that type of shape. And I was always one of those guys that can get a little fick shell shit. I gotta I gotta keep on I gotta keep on running. So I did that every day, and then on Thursdays, I ran the whole stadium. So I would do that before practice, sure before before, I do that before meetings. I'm already lathered up before meetings. Some people come in and get a little lift in, get breakfast before meetings, or do it in between. I came in at six thirty in the morning every day, you know, and I'm talking about legit, you know, four to five miles, and it was like it's four and a half miles. I did with my car, same route up and down, and Thursdays, hit the whole state, in the whole bottom row. You got to hit every step, do the whole run. But Friday, massage, Saturday nothing, game time. Sunday, fucking.
Speaker 3: We had Ernie on, Ernie Adams on. Oh just the other day he was saying that Rabes used to wreck scout team practice because he'd like be out there calling out exactly what they're gonna do.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Rabel was gravy. That's why he's such a good coach, you know what I mean. So, I mean, it's the scout team and they're trying to work on something, and that's just Ray being Raye, you know, calling it out, you know, just letting the offense know that I know what you're about to do, you know what I mean? And I'm gonna tell my boys. But he was always coaching out there. But even out on the field, you know, Rabo was a coach. Bruski was that quarterback man. It's like I always tell people I would I wouldn't be where I am today as a as a Hall of Famer without that. Damn Teddy Bruski. No why, I ain't know what the hell was going on. I'm like, who I got? Give me him? Brusk be like, hey, Ti, you got anymore? We're doing this because I would never come into the huddle. So if you watch the you know, old films, you will never see me going in the huddle and everybody run back to her. Damn it I'm too tired. I just ran you know, nine nine nine routes because if you're playing bump and run, people would always just run you off, you know. Man, So I was fade fade. I get so many of them a game, because you know, I'll cut the route off and it converts to a fade. So Bruski would I would look, He'll tell me you got this, you got this. If I'm sitting there, I go like this to brew when did I'm tired? He'll call the cover too, just to give me a break. And he come back to the sideline romos to get on him. Bru What the fuck was that? He like, fucking tie was tired, you know, and he said it's it's on me, And so I was like, thank you, Bruce. You know. So there we had that kind of thing where he'll just know, you know, if I was blue out, and he'll sit there and just do that just to give me a break.
Speaker 2: What a what a guy who's the hardest working guy in the defense or is one of those things because it was always the saying around the building, and it was developed with you guys, is the more you can do.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And it was we all competed. So to say who was the hardest worker, you know, I would say I was the hardest worker. I think Rodney would say he was the hardest worker, Willy, because we even competed. Drinking water, man, you had to have a gallon of water. And if somebody like Willy, because you know, Willy like I'm gaining on you, Rodney Harrison, I'm gaining on you taking a sip, stay hydrated. So we do stupid shit like that just to compete with one another. So you know, we run in the scout team. Have you when you came when the scout team is on, we never sat down. And just that started with myself, Odi Smith. We started that and then next thing, you know, here come the rest of the defense. We used to do it because we were always telling you we took everything as man coverage. We had to run with these guys. I wasn't the fastest gull on the block, but I can they run the same thing for four quarters. So next thing you know, you see the offensive line doing it. Now, Hey Tom, I'm doing it. You know what I mean. But it started, you know, right there. So that's why no one ever sat down, And we were like I'm gaining on you. If you're not doing that, you got to be doing push ups or some shit sitting there. Hey, Jules, I'm gaining on you. So guess what you got to drop down to do push ups? That's just what it was. Is that the mentality that's missing with the Patriots right now? Damn right? Who was there to lead them? Who's there to show them? Who was there that had the experience? And then now when you're talking about you know, the great you know, Matthew Slater, moving on, who's who's left now? You know you were gone the day exactly. So I mean, are they that are that? Are they that vocal? I mean when you do you really look at you know, you got to have a dominant personality. You gotta have to respect amongst the peers. So I think we had so many players as time went on that stayed on to be able to help you guys, you know what I mean. And then you picked up and you be able to help some of the young guys and they're going there. But now it's like no one else is there. And then when you got Tom Brady is there for twenty years. This is the goddamn standard. So It's always good when you got your best player, your most popular but most respected player, you know, set in a standard, working hard, there's no excuses. You know. Tom Brady was a goddamn worker. He was a worker. You know, we experienced a different Tom. You know, I came in. He had three Super Bowls, you know, the supermodel wife, right, he was in the the high of the high. You know, I never got to see him.
Speaker 2: As one of the boys, you know, so, but he was still practicing with the purpose. He would still fly out the coach in November that would work on his little dumb fundamental drills that like this dude's already a twelve year pro. Still is flying out a guy to work on his technique, you know, halfway through the season. It's just it's it's crazy. He was definitely the constant. And that's what I think the Patriots are missing, you know, they your best players have to be your hardest workers. Absolutely, And I learned that when I walked in the door with Teddy Brewski and Kevin Falk and Troy Brown was always around and then watching the old.
Speaker 1: Film of you guys. I didn't know about it.
Speaker 2: Really, I was a Barry kid, a West Coast kid, and I was introduced to it, and I saw by example, you know, Teddy Bruski, Kevin Falk, first ones in last one's leave, you know, challenging each other at all times, practicing hard, doing special teams in there in like their fifteenth years, right, you know, I think that mentality has definitely been lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's even like, you know, the team, what we did was important that we started making it a habit. I don't know if you guys did. You probably did. But when you look at the team now, you wonder and do they take the team dinners? Do they go out you know together, Do y'all take the wide receivers out and make the rookies or the young guys pay for it? You know what I mean. It's like we did stuff like that, and it was team building, so we just didn't have to see each other, you know, on the field. We understand that it is work. We got families, but we made a conscious effort to do stuff not only as a dB group, but we did stuff as a team. And that's when we started winning. We started seeing things change around. That's what became a Patriot wave. Even though like the coaches get credit in Belichick and Scott them bullshit patriotat started in that locker room. Well, I always explained like this, well, first off, in twenty twenty four, that's called bullying. First off, And.
Speaker 2: I go, you know, Bill was Congress right, he made the fucking law. But the leaders on the team, we were the sheriffs out there and we were fucking patrolling it. It wasn't coaches saying shit. It was the guys that were making people accountable because everyone was so embarrassed if they did something wrong and you were put on that Bill low light, you know, because in front of the whole team, not just your unit, not just in the receiver room, in front.
Speaker 1: Of the whole team.
Speaker 2: So when you're walking down the goddamn hallway, you got a defensive guy coming up to you saying you're gonna drop that wide route?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And that's something that was developed the toughness that I think that they've been like they've been lacking. What's your best Bill Belichick story?
Speaker 1: All right? Look, okay, okay, well you know what all right? Look all right, So it was a situation where you know, I was going through you know, some contract, you know, some contract stuff before and Bill was like, hey, we need to restructure your contract. And I was like, well, it was just gonna be like an extension, you know what I mean, you just save some some cap space or whatever. And I was like, you know, okay. But after we got it all down, I'm like, man, so that's a fucking paint cut. No, ain't saving me no money. I don't even got to send my agent this ship, you know, you know what I mean. But then we went through it, and then so he hits me and it was a good friend uh you know, on the team. I ain't say no names. I can't put it out there like that. And he was like, hey, look if you don't restructure this, man, we're gonna we have to cut your boy. I was like, well, I guess you cut ass. I ain't giving your ship, you know. I'm like I said, I guess I guess I go tell my boy that, hey, brou hey, man, get your nick something like that, you know what I mean. But like I said, we were well, you know, but that's Bill being Bill and out there. So we ended up, uh, we end up working out our restructure. I said, Look, I don't care about it as long as I'm getting paid. The same thing is because I didn't call in and try to get no more money. And even though a lot of stuff got blown out of proportion, we worked it out. I restructured my contract. My dog was still there, you know what I mean, and you know, we move on. But all we had to do was just we didn't even have to go through all that, Oh Bill, you know, you know they try to do that and test your lot. Coach par Sales tried me when I was a rookie, but I, like I like to say, I'm a little bit of a different breed. I got a mind of my own. So now they came in and put me at the end Zone. The end Zone was even better, but it was still shitty when you was there, right the End Zone Hotel. I lived there for a couple of months, but when I came for my visit was myself, Curtis Martin. They ended up drapping both of us. You know how you just go on the business they want to talk to your interview and stuff like that. So Coach par Sales brought me into the office and say, look, hey man, we like you, but we don't like who you got representing. You. He'sy you know those uh, those posting brothers. Man. He said, I can't draft you with that. So I'm sitting there myself. You know, people had me traject to go to the Detroit Lions at at number I think they had the twenty first pick of the draft. And I'm sitting like, you know what, after what I've seen looking at Foxboro Stadium and seeing all these trailer parks up here, and sh I'm like, man, okay, that made me keep my agent even more because I ain't man y'all. You couldn't even put me in a Marriotte. You couldn't put me. You know, I'm thinking, I'm about to go to the league, you know, rich, get some room service and some ship like that. Man, bruh. I was not trying to come to the win just because of that. But when he told me, But when he told me that, what he tried to do is get into you know, a young guy's head. See what you think that's the divide and conquer, you know, mentality, saying that you know you might want to draft me. You know I don't know that, but you think I'm gonna go. Was fired my agent just because of what you said, even if I had my agent and I'm with you and you don't want to get the deal, now you need to know that that's not happening. So he my agent brought it up to Bill par Sales, and Bill was like, well I had to try because hey, this wasn't and I got you know, at that time, you know, I got a nice rookie deal, you know, which was I got equivalent to like the seventeenth pick, even though I was a twenty third pick. And then of course when you know, when it was time to you know, really get paid, you know, for it was the highest paid defensive back in the in the league. I mean it's a production business exactly exactly. Business, yeah exactly, you get paid, you get that production, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Now you got the old Bill Okie Doe corner trick where you know he used to try to do that to me all the time in contract talk stuff. Well you know, he'd see in the cafeteria, look come over here, you know, and I'm like, what's up, coach, how you doing? And I would just play dumb. He's like, look, you know, we got an agent. You got you tell your agent something I tell why don't we just do something right here, you know what I mean. And I know he's just play a coach. I'm like domb with numbers and ship. I don't know what the fuck you know?
Speaker 1: Right right?
Speaker 2: You gonna get you in here the same goddamn contract, and I don't know what the fuck I'm signing.
Speaker 1: But that's funny that he tried to Oki. Do you try to go me twice? That's the Bill, want to give you one more? That's here? It okay, since we out did and everything going now, so now now I had a in my contract. Oh god, damn it. Shot clock clock clock. I mean, we're talking, Bill, you gotta go. We gotta shot toast. I gotta say this. You know. This is Corbus of course, the official Voka, proud partner the Pro Football Hall of Fame. A portion of every bottle that I sell goes back to the old school guys, the Hall of Famers that wasn't as fortunate as you know what I mean to be able to make money because they had to get jobs in the off seasons. So they really played for the love of the game. But you know, if they if ever fell on hard times or something like that, you you got to take care of the fathers, fathers exactly. And if they're passed on, you know, you know the fund, we help their widows as well. But anyway, grill pineapple the only grill pineapple on the market. Y'all heard it right here, games with names, my man, jewels, grill pineapple. If somebody they got that ship the second they second, we all cups at real pineapple thriller.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jimmy whalers to watch this be talking ship. I know, you get a Texas Jimmy be watching this ship. Yeah, okay, real pineapple, grill pineapple.
Speaker 1: And we got about to we about to mess with Bill a little bits. We love them, we love them. Oh hell yeah, yeah, it tastes the grill. Yeah yeah, it's just on the grill, right, so it's a little different, right. So uh so this is what we drinking. Now, we started off concentrating in New England, but this is the lick. So let's go to Bill's ass, right, So as we drinking and thinking shit, all right, So Bill I had a contract, so of course you know, he came you know, from the Jessie you know, and at the time I was the only person on the roster that was still in the Pete Carroll's contract. So I signed a big deal. I was with Pete. You know, Pete really went to bat and like I said, I earned my shit. But I was under that contract. So you know how it is, Delly can touch your contract once. Once they touch it, you can't touch it for the rest of the year, you know what I mean. They would try to avoid me, like to play it. So next to Drew, I was next, but they would go to everybody else because they knew, you know at the time that I don't come mess with me about this shit, that that's not happening. So anyway, I had a a bonus in my contract where I get X amount of dollars if I come and make weight. And I had a reporting bone this. So I had a reporting bonus, you know, because it's like you had a weight you had a weight clause. Huh No, that's what's part of my reporting was I I gotta come on time, make weight past the conditioning test. Yeah, we all got that exactly. I got a million dollars from mind workout bonus million bucks. No, that was reporting bonus. My workout bonus was a hundred thousand, you know. So that's what just in case they catch you, Just in case they catch you, this save a mil Yeah, yeah, they know you could do it. So that was enough to come in and like I said, I was going to pass the conditioning. Say, I'll give a damn if I had to sit in the soign for fifty hours straight, I'm gonna get that damn bonus, you know what I mean. But it was one hundred thousands. So you know when I came in, I got the uh. I came in and got my checks, you know what I mean. At the time, you know, you got direct direct deposit, but you get your receipt. So I got I got one. I'm like, where's my damn where my other? With my little hundred thousand net. So of course, you know, I go down, they say, I go upstairs, and they say you gotta go talk to Bill. I'm like, well, Ship, okay, hey Bill, well I missed one hundred thousand. And he was like, well, he said, we didn't talk this year. I said, we're talking about because I went to Bob Cursey, you know, the great Bob Cursey Olympic you know, gold medal winning coach. I trained with him. I never stayed in the off season, you know, for the program. So you know, I got under my contract as long as it was approved by the head coach of GM, which it always was, I get both checks. So he said, we didn't talk this year because we talked last year because, like I said, he was fairly new to it and he approved it. It was fine. So I was just assume it's like that every year. I was. I signed this ship when you was a jet. You remember you was a jet when I when I signed this contract. So when you came here this we talked jet for you guys. That's a little child. Yes, yes, profession exact, yeah exactly. So now he said there, He's like no, I'm like Bill Man, all right. So I called my financial advisor. I was like, yo, did that million clear yet? Not yet? So you know, I went out, I left and I came back. So Bill know me, So I'm coming back in and bearsh He was like hey, he said, he's in there. Bill had my contracts sitting on He had my contracts sitting on his laid out, laid out, highlighted. He had to shit highlighted, saying hey, it has to be approved of this da da dada language. I'm like and it was always approved. You was a fucking jit. He said, well, Andy Wiser, Chuck, it's no longer GM, and I'm the head coach, and I say nothing fine. So I was like, all right, I just took my ass to the locker room, got my stuff out the thing, and I walked on out. I was gone for three days. See it what no social media and all that stuff. So I was gone for three days, bro, And finally got the call because they got to call you and say, and this is doing training camp. But I know in training camp you cannot find me more than twelve hundred dollars a day. So as far it was one thousand dollars day at the time. Twenty now, huh twenty grand oh yeah, unexcused absence. Yeah, so it was it was a thous It was like it was it was it was it five thousand? Was it five thousand? Yeah, it was five thousand. So I said, as far as I'm concerned, I got twenty practices. I'll be back at at UH on day twenty one to get that six million salary. I'll be back for that. But if I'm lose on a hunred thousand'ma lose this shit legit. So I was I was gone, you know what I mean. So eventually Bears called me down the phone. Bring your ass down here, all right, I said, Bill, want my money? He said, you come down here. We talk about that ship later. So I go with principles off. He told me to come to go to the game because we were playing down in Washington. So you didn't practice all camp, No I did. I was gone for three days. I left three days is because guess what? Because what the million cleared? Okay, that was clear, that was in the bank. So as far as I'm concerned, I got one hundred thousand dollars right here. That's out there, and to me where I come from, that's a lot of goddamn money. That's a lot of money. Anyway. That's the kind that you don't get a financial advisor get hing a million, but you keep one hundred thousand yourself. You know, dud dude, you gotta do you know, that's the pocket change at that time. You know, when you get there's a lot of money, but two things. So, like I said, where I come from, that's life changing. So for me, I was like, I'm not that guy. I'm gonna leave and I'll be back. But they also had the status of who I was too, so I knew that as well. So do what you gotta do. So I left. He called me, get your ass on the plane. We go on the wall. I think we was washing pre season. He didn't start me. He put me in with the goddamn scrubs, bro Will Willing and everybody hot dogs on sideline and ship. So he puts me in. So now all the guys on the other side, they're really going, you know, they trying to make thee. I'm getting cut and all out, like man, you know, they Willing. It was clown and laughing. Right. So we comes back and next day he had to come in on Monday. I didn't even take my stuff off. I was at the I was at the table eating breakfast, steal my clothes on. You know. Bill came, but I would the envelope. He said to me, like fucking asshole. So I was like, open up the check. Eighty five thousand adopted me three days freaking Bill, Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, that's Bill for you. Though. Yeah, he dopped me this fucking three days man. So I mean, but we like said, we got a great relationship and the respect from there, But it was just at the time I wasn't the one. I made sure that she was clear though. Man, but you gotta you gotta put your foot down sometime. Now.
Speaker 2: How was what was the similarities and differences between him and Parcels and Pete Carroll and and.
Speaker 1: What was to you? And then you went to the jets and you went to the chiefs? How was his ship? How was that? Man? I tell you what you know, come in and get different. What made Parcels different? Is you know it was a well I'm gonna start with Parcels. That's what drafted me. So Parsales was the master manipulator when it comes to the mind and like you like, he'll make you so pissed off psychologically, he'll you'll run to run through a wall. You want to prove to him that he told me. He told me I was gonna be the first first round of the NFL history. You get cut in training camp, Like, what the that You're gonna be the He called me to the side. He's like, listen, right now, you're working on being the first first round or in the history of the NFL. To get cut in the middle of training camp I'm sitting there like in my stupid ass, you know at the time, you know, just being me from out coball like, well, do what you gotta do, you know, come on, whoop all the ad do what you gotta do. Stupid, you know what I mean. But that's just that, that's that's just who I was, you know what I mean. And then eventually, you know, he was like, uh man, he was the bestie, but he always rolled me. And it was one particular game where now it established myself as kind of a physical and aggressive, and he was like, you know what, you got everybody scared of you out there, right, but this week this guy's gonna kick your ass. So he was talking about Michael Irving was going down to play the Dallas Cowboys and Michael Irvan I think he had just hit you know, Like I said, Nias Williams the one of the greatest, you know what I mean, look up to Nia's trained women. But he gave he gave Nias the business, you know what I mean. It was like nine catches something like like two hundred some yards and shit, I'm like damn. So Parcelles challenged me saying, if he do that, didn Nias Williams because he said, you're damn sure knowing Nias Williams. You know that's what Parceles told me. He gonna kick your ass. But guess what I'm putting you on him? You know you think you good? So man when out there ended up having two picks. You know, think got Defensive Player of the Week all that stuff. But I wasn't even thinking about playing you know, Michael and the challenge him. I was sitting there thinking I got to prove Parceales wrong for fucking with me. You know, I'm gonna show you that I'm not the one. And I had to take it out on Michael at the time, you know what I mean, That's how my mentality was. But Belichick, you know that's how he got the best out of here. Belichick, He's gonna sit you down because he was my dB coach, which I loved, by the way, because you had to do the least amount of studying when he's your coach. Because he done did it all. Everything that he say is going to happen is going to happen. It's going to be one of two things. And what I really fell and loved with the way he coached. He was my dB coach. We're playing the Saints. He said, look, if they line up in this formation, tight end, here guy on the top of the numbers. If he's lined up on the top of the numbers, he's going to do a curl. And my thing was, I didn't want to be on the wrong any highlights. What if you run a curl and go, He's not going to do it. If you run a curl and go, it's on me. So I said, shit, seeing a formation is coming, damn Sure enough, he did exactly that, came in, jumped in front of it, pick and it was like shit. So now when we're moving, Belichick had you in such a great position mentally that you went into the game so confident and saying that if anything happens, put it on him. But guaranteed this is going to happen. And that's how he was as a coach. So when he left and came back, we thinking like, that's our boy. Man. Me and lawyer called him illegally, I might add, you know at the time, because we ain't supposed to, you know, contact him and stuff like that. But that was our guy, that was our coach. So when he came back. Man, we were so happy. And then when Bill walked in, the Bill and were trying to go do like the group hug type of he the head coach. Now I'm like, Bill done got a new chick and got brand new and shit, but they done got brand new. It ain't the same. But now you have to realize, and it took us a minute that he's not our coach anymore. He's our coach and he has to sit there and you know, treat everything and conduct itself in a certain way. But what he does from a game plan perspective, I've never been with another coach or another organization that is that prepared at all times. And he made you feel comfortable even his adjustments. This is what we're gonna do, Bam. You just gotta be smart. In training camp, we will see shit that we ain't seen in eight weeks. We going back to some training camp. You got to like what we ain't played that since training camp. But for this particular game or we're going at halftime, he comes back. This is what it is. So I think that separates a Bill from everyone else. It's his adjustments and how he looks at the game. You know what I mean from offense defensively. He used to have to leave to help Charlie Weiss. He would leave our defense to mean we be in our bardamnself. Ain't nobody getting coached because he up just telling the offense what the other defense is doing. He had to leave the meeting so many times just to go up there and help the offense by looking at the defense. He was that much of a genius when it comes to a football mind. Pete Carroll, I like Pete. Pete gave me the bag. He puss for me to get the back. But he was a dB guy. But I think his personality didn't mesh well with a lot of other guys because we all interviewed. I interviewed because I ain't nobody who's gonna hire a Belichick. I was like, man, I like Pete. So when they came down Bobby Greer and all that gym, you know scrap, I was like, man. We went to the playoffs, I felt somewhat responsible because I gave up the touchdown. You know what I mean I did. I gave up a touchdown. I was sick to who I think it was one of the best ever. When it comes to me, you know, matching up that Damn Jimmy Smith was an animal bro. I just want to put that out there. So but Pete Carroll Man, the happy, gold lucky guy that just didn't sit well with the rest of his guys because no matter what, come on, guys, don't you feel it? Don't you feel it? Yeah? You know, he was like that, you know what I mean, coming from parts exactly, yeah exactly. This guy's smacking his gums saying name exactly. It was. It was a totally different energy, you know. And then you get back to Bill's in that similar similar, more similar to yourselfselves, you know, and Bill, don't be wrong. He wanted outside of business. Me and Bill ain't never had a problem outside of contract and business, you know what I mean. But you got to understand we're all independent contracts. You know that at the end of the day, we're on the team. But when we're talking about this and we have discrepancies about this, he has to work for himself in the organization. You have to work for yourself as an individual, you know, as eight because hey, it's short lived, you know what I mean. But drink what you're he gonna gonna have a beer? What you're he gonna laugh, have a good time, and that's you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, Bill's a computer where like if he's doing work, he's just thinking about work.
Speaker 1: And the one thing that.
Speaker 2: He was always that I always liked with he was honest with you, right, which he would try to be a little overly honest just to prove his point on certain things. Look, I'm not gonna pay you fucking ten million dollars. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're fucking thirty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know you're not gonna be able to walk in through. Yeah, he will tell you, he tell you, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: But what you said about him preparing a team and and saying it's gonna be on me if it doesn't go this way, there are countless times where you remember he'd have those team meetings because it's probably the same and he.
Speaker 1: Give you the keys.
Speaker 2: Look, fellas, we just need to do this, this.
Speaker 1: This, and if we do that, this is gonna happen.
Speaker 2: We'd sit there and be listening to ship and then you'd watch that on a Monday when you're watching film.
Speaker 1: Everything that he said happened, right, and exactly how he said exactly I'm saying he took he took that. He made it easier to do your job because he did all the hard work. A lot of guys don't want to study that film. So you basically got a coach as a walking cheat sheet. You know what I mean? You can go ask him anything out of the blue. He gonna already know what it is. I'm sitting there like it's at a point where like, how do you know all that you watched us? You? You hear offensive guys asking him stuff, and I'm like, how do you got time to do all this shit and know all this? He's one hundred percent of the cheat sheet, but he's an asshole cheat sheet. But I loved him. He was an asshole. Yeah, but if you if you talk, I've.
Speaker 2: Been telling everyone, if you talk to anyone that's in their thirties, forties or or higher, not one guy like their football coach. No one's liked your full you love them. Yeah, I never liked my coach. Who the fuck to like a guy that makes you run up a goddamn hill to walk through for a fucking walk through for another walkthrough to go and fucking do these dumb drills. We're doing tackling drills in the Super Bowl weekue.
Speaker 1: Why the fuck? Yeah, you don't like it, but we want, but we want And when you win, you know a lot of stuff. That's the way, that's the way it is when you win. But if you go out there and you're not being successful when you're losing, that becomes a problem. But I got a question for you, Jewles, because you know you came in he was at a quarterback and then your receiver, and you're developing and you becoming like the top receiver you know on the Patriots coming from a quarterback. You know, how was that transition for you? Like? Who helped you, who inspired you? Did you think you can do it?
Speaker 2: That was a tough transition, and especially because you know specifically how hard camps are and we still had double days. When I got in right, I felt like I was getting cut every day because everything was so new. One of the greatest things for me was to have Chad o'sha as my football coach, my receivers coach. He was like a king psychologist, great guy of information that you know, would give you everything that you needed to prepare you. But I would sit and watch film and I would take mental reps. When Wes Welker was in front of me. When you know, looking at Randy Moss even though he's a different body type, but being able to see his late hands on a stacking a defender, like these guys are playing through your hands, but you could steal that even though I'm not him, you know, trying to take from every rep and it was. It was fucking crazy tough, but like because the environment I was in, working hard and doing extra and and living at the facility, that was like that's what I thought was normal.
Speaker 1: So like, I don't know, it took me. It took me time to really because I was always really gifted with the ball in my hand, like I could always make people miss in space.
Speaker 2: It took me a while to learn how to run routes. I needed the experience. It was the practice. It was like every practice. Scottie O'Brien was my special team's coordinator, which I had to make myself valuable by returning punch.
Speaker 1: So that's what you feel like you made the team was on your special team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, returning punts and on kickoff, you know, and being one of those guys that could back up guys but also be a coarse special team, right, I had to create value to stay on the team. But he would always say this, I coming after a fucking practice all bummed out because I fucked something up and got yelled at. And he'd always say, you know, a play, whether good or bad, is a bit of experience, meaning that bad play.
Speaker 1: Remember that.
Speaker 2: The great players, the good players, they remember those bad plays and they use it. So like when I would run a when I was doing one on one incuts or something we were playing. We were doing one on one drills and I'd run I didn't know how to run incuts at the time. I was giving my ship up at the top of the route and dropping my weight and DB's you guys read that and just fucking breaking undercut. And so I remember I got undercutt in and I was pissed. And after I heard that, on my outbreaking route I made, I made that same move where I was gonna do like the incut, which the guy undercut.
Speaker 1: It and I broke out.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's just stacking things together and having mental toughness to be able to to literally go through just the fucking beaten up of you know, the coaching and the grind of an NFL season. And the couple reps you get making those reps work, and then you know, one thing led to another where I got more opportunity. Gronk got hurt, Aaron Hernandez killed somebody. They had to lean on me.
Speaker 1: And at all, I'm just saying, you know, it's it's it's a compliment to be able to say. I'm used to you know, Okay, I got the ball in my hand. You know you can do that. But you said, it's a art, it's a skill. You have to work to be able to run a route, to sell it right and then catch the damn ball. You throwing the ball. So I mean that that's just to make the team, and not only make the team, but they had the success that you've had and the impact that you had on the game. Man, brouh Hey, that's commendable, man, it's much respect. I always say that dude's a dog, man, you know what I mean. I said that, dude's a dog. Would love to play with you, man, awesome to play with you. We're gonna go to fuck out in practice. Though, that's also what made me better. Me too, I like that. I like that type of party.
Speaker 2: No, that's also what made me really really a lot better is when we when we signed keep to lead m. You know, it was it was like my fourth year or something, just going on one on him, and then we signed Reeve and you know how practices are, we were we were going on ones every day, right, and so I got to learn, I got to get you know, I learned what made him not like shit, and I learned, you know, what I had to do to get open on certain things those practice.
Speaker 1: Was the most patient corner ever, patient and a long, strong as ship. He had a long.
Speaker 2: Arm, but he had a short base. So usually you know there's corners that are tall corners that you get them running sideways. You know they can't get out rady. But he was like one of those swimmer built type guys where he had a long upper body but a short lower body, and he always was on balance. So he was very patient line scrimmageing and a crazy offhand jam. And his offhand jam usually you get like a corner of his size. He wasn't like a big big.
Speaker 1: Guy who's five eleven handed, heavy handed, you know what I mean. He had a heavy hand, so he got you.
Speaker 2: But sometimes when a dB would give you that off hand jam if you were to grind through it and get through it, they're out of position. Sometimes he was never out of position. And then he'd also know, like what you just said, when when you were preparing and you saw that tight end here and the guy on the split here, you identified formation and it gave you subconscious reaction. He would go out and he would be able to call play just by the situation and our formation, which.
Speaker 1: We all know our plays, but like he was doing that the games too. Yeah, he was something special.
Speaker 2: And then Gilmour came and you know, it was also great to compete against him.
Speaker 1: So I would say my.
Speaker 2: Development as a receiver was through the practice, through the psychology of Chad O'shay, through watching Wes Welker and how he practiced, watching the film of Troy Brown Dion Branch. I would watch their film. I wanted to see the guys catching the balls in this system and we had that. So that and then practicing against the great players that we had because practice was so fucking hard.
Speaker 1: You know, we practiced hard right Hey. By the way, you know, I want some money off you, man. I din't ever get to tell you thank you. Yeah, you know, I bet on it like I was like, who going, Who's gonna it? Was the bookie me wasn't. It wasn't the legit shate. We didn't have all that. Look, I don't know how to do all that. It was. It was just it was just a bat like get the MVP. I'm sitting like, you know what time I said you can hey, I was like, man, hell with it. It was something that like it was so some crazy odds and I'm saying like all right, fine, man, I got eleven thousand dollars, damn number I'm putting on. I'm putting it on the element to get the m v P. I don't know, you know, I mean like, you know, because it's like m v P quarterback, he got to really mess it up sometime not to get it. Because if they have any type of decent game, you know they're gonna get the m v P. Man. So you know, I took a took a chance on your man, putting a couple of dollars down there, got eleven grand about the deal.
Speaker 4: Donald this year money on Sam Donald for MVP this year one.
Speaker 1: To get hurt.
Speaker 4: That's that was the bet three hundred and one on Sam Darnald for Yo.
Speaker 1: So I got one for you too, because I mean, it's like, I know we had to be talking shop man, but I know you could still play when you left the game, look like you can still play now. What was the deciding factor was saying, you know what, I'm gonna walk away.
Speaker 2: I could still play, It's just I couldn't play consistently. And by my last year before the season, while we were training, I tore the root of my meniscus and that's what holds your meniscus down. And they came up to me and they go, we could do like a microfracture surgery where it's a twelve month recovery I was thirty four, or you could try to play with it and we'll just treat it. And I was like, all right, let's try to do that. I couldn't walk until Saturday after a game. Like the next the following Saturday, I would get two three plays at practice just because it was it was so raw and it was.
Speaker 1: So new, there was no scarring.
Speaker 2: And we went into a season right away with the fucking shitty injury. I was just mentally fucking drained, you know what I mean, And the little things that were my great parts of my game weren't easy anymore.
Speaker 1: I had to like do ship. You know, I didn't look the same on film. I couldn't practice the way I wanted to practice, and so like I was like fuck that, you know, and it just I mean, I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't run, bro And then you know, two years, like a year after you retire, you know, things start healing, you start feeling great. I still stay in shape, but I'm not in football shape.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? You know football shape. Yeah, that's what when guys talking about they can still go out there and play, I mean, it's kind of you know, come on, man, I could go play four or five, I could go play twenty plays.
Speaker 3: Says that like every week I can't get I can still play.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah no. And the thing is it's different when like, you know, a guy like you know, to yo, man, he's a freaking nature. He's a freaking nature. But to say to go out there and play football, I doubt that to you because it's it's just learning how to fall again. Man, I can't even fall and going down to slowing down, but falling, it's an art to knowing how to fall when you get tired. I don't even know how to fall them. Why I slip this shit hurt now? Man, I don't even know how to catch myself break myself.
Speaker 2: And your body can't fall like it used to, like when you used to when you're fucking twenty in your twenties and early thirties or twenties, you fall down at the full speed you get up like after the years and years of compounding injuries, you fall down.
Speaker 1: Your body's like, we can't do that right now exactly.
Speaker 3: And you know you've got no life alert blazelet on the practice.
Speaker 1: Of breaking like, hey, do you miss it? I missed the practice.
Speaker 2: I miss the preparation in the officeas I miss having something to do always. You know, you got to create your own routine. I miss like you know, the fellas.
Speaker 1: In fighting against Patrick Chung in practice and fucking fighting Gilmour on his first day as a Patriot because we used to battle when he was a bill.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, like I missed that ship. Who did you ever fight in practice?
Speaker 1: Or who is the battle? Who did you battle with? Patton Brown? You know what? You know me? You know Patton? You know it was like man like pat was the type of guy. You know. Yeah, he the guy that you know you just didn't even want to swear around. He was just a good dude. Man. You know Patton come around, it's like, you know, here come the pastor you know what I mean. We can't say what we want to say. We can't talk about no girls, we can't say that, we can't drop the F word, we can't do nothing around Patton. He had just that type of you know, respect and but me and Troy, I ain't gonna lie. It was sometime we'd be like, man, how you feel the day though? We're going We're going hard today, you know what I mean, And we'll go hard. Sometime we'd be like, yo, man, let's make it look good. Got the buddy system going on, you know what I mean? That depends it all depends on the day. But when it was time to work, you know, it was time to work, man, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So who are the who are the receivers you loved going against in the league? I mean I was we were watching doing the research. I mean you picked one when you were getting t o Irvin. I mean your years that you played because you were also in you know the bruces and this, but you got like you picked off Dan Marino, Yeah, you picked off Steve Young.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My first pick was Jim Kelly. Jim Kelly, so you know, and then you're also picking off Peyton like your most picks came from Peyton Manning. But like my longest interception was off Tom. Though that takes sense football was a little thick with it, but you know I got it, you know, but in that year, you know what, New York. But it was one of those things. And that's what makes the greats great because like after the you know game and Bill, when we were walking into halftime, you know, same thing, he came in, fucking asshole, you know, just as a joke, you know, you know, still it's still still all love. But Tom, in the next day you're like, what did you see? And I'm like, I got play with your ass full out on line. Why would you do the same thing? You know on me? Like it was a movement, cause it was one of those plays where it was givings. First of all, it was ain't about to run past me anyway, even though I was, even if I was, you know, I don't worry about him running past you know, what I mean. But he did one of those short motions, and you know how come half we start our way out there. I knew it was gonna be an outcut. And soon as I say, Tom looked the other way and gave that you know that it was like a little fake. It was a half ass fake, which that was not like you're coming off really throwing the ball. So as he did that, I just stopped in my tracks. I said, oh, he coming right here, and and he threw it, you know what I mean. And so I told him that, but it really bothered him and it messed with him, and he called me because, like I said, it was great, you know, always the friendship and the love is still there. And like Peyton, same thing. We gets over to the Pro Bowl, Peyton gonna try to fill you up with damn drinks, you know, but guess what, it's some football coming. So so what did you think? And I'm like, man, I ain't stupid Payton. I'm still from the hood, don't get I know. I know what you're doing. I mean, you're like, look at all these girls out here, and but katies and ship, we ain't talking about no football, man.
Speaker 3: We we the sights I've heard he's like the mayor of the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 1: He's like, no, no, no. Paydon is great, like I said, he's gonna feed you the drinks and you're gonna have a good time. But if he curious about something in football, because look, that's the competitive edge, you don't never take it, you know, personal, because we all you know, you know, great friends, hall of Fame teammates, you know now, but you know at that time it bothered Tom and it bothered you know, Peyton that they made a mistake or they let you get one or what was you saying on this one man? And I respect it, you know, always trying to get that always always trying to get this receiver to cover Y Smith, I say, Jimmy Smith, because man, he was so strong, he was so fast, and like, you know, I considered myself that a bully because I ain't trying to run with you all day if I ain't got you, even though I can, but I rather sit and fight. So you know, they talk about matchups. Jimmy Smith was one of those guys that you can't, you know, intimidate because he can run as fast as any receiving the league. He was strong, he was tough, you know what I mean. So that one right there is like you knew that you had to come to work, you know. And I love to play against him because it was a great challenge. The people that I didn't like to play against all the time is people like yo, ass, they just running just quick, you know, for no damn reason, like you know, like they just running. And then the option routes. Oh man, that inside the option route. I'm trying to get you right now. But that kind of stuff right there too. Small guys. It's like, man, give me a big guy, give me, give me, give him, give me Keyshawan, give me, give me Moss, you know what I mean, give me, give me something like that, you know, Michael Irving, I like Jay Rice, I like that, But chasing guys like you, man, sh it man, I hated that. Who is your favorite cornerback watching when you're a kid? Always prime, you know what I mean? But you said, tell me. He he Dion Sanders, you know, and you know, just a great, just great dude. You know overall you seeing when he's doing, how he's impacting young lives. But he was the greatest you know, cornerback that ever played the game. You know, in my opinion, that's who you know, that was, you know, our Michael Jordan when it comes to football and playing cornerback. But the reality is I didn't have Deon Sanders speed, you know what I mean. So you know one of my favorite dbs who I kind of like, say, if I had to pattern my game off of who I looked at, it was Rod Woodson. Rod Woodson was the real deal. He was fast. Hell wasn't that fast either, but you know, he put his nose in there in the tackling and you know, he just played the game like you know, especially growing up in Pittsburgh, you know what I mean, I know was good. Rod Woodson was that guy, you know what I mean? So next to Deon Salmers who had everything and we're talking about pure just cover guys that made our position popper, that made you know, us get paid like that because I was right after him when he signed that fifty million dollar deal. You know, at the time, defensive players, especially cornerbacks, used used to be the lowest paid, and he changed the dynamic of what a cornerback is. And when he got that, I'm like, oh yeah, yeah, I mean, let me I got to get some of that. Hell yeah, on contract negotiation jewels man. So it's Andy Watson Chuck, my agent, and you know, I guess he went to the bathroom. So they were trying to, you know, say take dionis exemp. Let's leave that contract because they try to tell you, oh, it was back loaded. It wasn't the you know, I'm playing dumb. All I said was fifty million dollars on TV. I say fifty million. I know how contracts work. But they were trying to say the structure bullshit. I say fifty million dollars. Fifty Yeah, that's what I said. So my agent called me when I was gonna. I didn't even want to, you know, go in there. He's like, look, just come in here and be tyl. All Damma, just come in here and be tyl. I said, okay, I come in and then you know he going through it and what we're thinking about. We think like Dale Carter signed this six years. You know, we're thinking somewhere along those lines and we can give you this a couple hundred I said. I said, Dale Carter and deal Carter. Mind you was a goddamn animal. I'm a beast, but it was thirty six million, fifty million. I seen fifty. Now I'm talking to Andy. I said, look here, man, I don't know where y'all come, but Dale Carter. I was like, you know, I'm in my fourth in the league. They already been there. I was like, man, I could do that. My name sleep man. We ain't doing it, even though it's not like that, because he was a freaking as we talking shit, and I was like, Deon Sanders did this, That's what I seen. And I was like, look, I ain't claim to be Deon Sanders, but I'm prime time round this motherfucker right here. That's what I told Andy. I said, I ain't done. I ain't claimed to be deone Sander, but I'm prime time around this mother. I said. You know what, Carl, I said, if this man, I don't even eat be it. I just got up ship off and I'm like, what fuck is? I go back and sit my car, and Carl came out about thirty forty minutes later. He just got in the car. He just like this, give me five and that's it. Then next thing you know, you know, they went into it and it still wasn't there. Because I had just wanted I said, I wanted ten. That was the kind of the market if you get there. It was like, and Carl was like, hold on, give me another way. I said, Carl, we're in training camp. So now were covered and lawyer Lloyd we was going. We crashed and like it was a dig, right, I was covering. Lawyer hit me and a player. I thought, I blew my knee out. I was scared. I was like, oh shit, got up. I was all right. I was playing timid somewhat in practice out there because I really thought, because you go across there with lawyer, lawyer gonna knock shit out of you. Man. He was one of the most aggressive you know safeties that you know I ever play with. Man, the dude was tough, man, you know what I mean, Like not very big in stature, but he hit like a dad linebacker. He would light your ass up. So you know what, two weeks later, like a week or so after that instance that happened, then two days later, you know, he I was ready to sign. There was like ten six. I like, deal sign it. He like, I got him. Hold on, I said, you're getting greedy. Carl, Come on, mate, ship I'm good. Man called me. The next day. So we had the day off. I'm up in Boston on Boston Street. You know, God, his mom. We up there kicking and I'm gonna do a little shopping on the off day. He said, you ready. I was like, what we got it done? I'm like, he said, you buck it up. I'm like, shit, I am now what man? He told me what it was. And at the time, it was seven years, you know, for fifty and I'm sitting like, what's the sign of bones? That's that's when it was the fourteen I threw that ship and park I got out. I was all over the street, shite recognition. I jumped out the dead car. What's wrong? What's wrong? What's good? Hey? Man? I was overjoyed, man, because you worked so hard to say to your family and at that time, you know, I mean, that was a that was a big deal. But now you know, it's the standard to live up to when you're getting that type of contract. When you sit there saying that, you know, you got a contract to the equivalent of even though you're talking that shit you wanted, but now the reality set in, Okay, you got to live up to that contract. You got to live up to that if you the prime time around. Look, you know that I'm talking. You feel me, so I have to Hey, guess what it worked yourself out now? Prime set the bar, he said, the bar bro Who what corners are you watching nowadays? Saying that they're damn they're good? Stepan. I always like Stefan, even when he was a picture. I know he's getting older, but he's working on his Hall of Fame resume, you know, right now. But I mean, I think somebody that can go out there and play with anybody. I think Stefan Gilmour is still, you know, one of the better cornerbacks. But you got guys like, you know, Giant here, Alexander Ward, Jalen Ramsey is you know he can play you know he can play ball. But I still don't see anybody right now that I can look at and say, who's following the best guy all over the field. They're not doing that anymore. I'm like, you know, that's when you want to get get games change, game change when you ask for that type of money. But if you're a starter right now, you can you can ask for that type of month because that's where the market is at. But when we were playing, when Dion was able to jump and say that because he was Deon Sanders, he did stuff that everybody don't do. And when I said that, I'm prime time right here, not saying that I'm Deon Sanders, but for what we do and for you know, me to be going to the number one receiver game in game out, you know, no matter what the defense was played, you know what I mean. He I know I'm going to Keishawn. I know I'm going to Wayne on the third down, so I'm changing. I know I got Marvin that I wouldn't even sit there and mess with Reggie, not saying that Reggie Redgewaying is a you know, a Hall of Famer himself, but at that time they would even I ain't even waste my time over there, because hell, I got to handle this over here. And like I said, Reguating was just coming to his own. So I got that. We go play Sam Fran pick your pois. You got jay Rice, then you get to O. You know what I mean, I got I got that. So that's why I feel like, you know, it's missing Darrell Reeves. He goes to the guy, there's not many of those anymore. Six exactly run that cover six, which is it plays like man, but you get to play with your eyes in the backfield, right, you know what I mean? Because you have that guy going to that flat zone. Our back was turned to the well, that's why you don't see, you know, as many interceptions or something like that, because our back was turned to the ball because we were here and we're covering you know that guy, you know what I mean? And then you talk about guys like a Champ Bailey and all that. We we went to the top dog no matter what. And I think that's what's missing from the game.
Speaker 2: You think they've gotten away from man coverage because of the how they're calling the game now because of p I and illegal contact on every goddamn play.
Speaker 1: That's the one. Hey, you know what an excerpt? Do you have something from there?
Speaker 3: We were talking about it this morning.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: And this game that we're talking about today led to the tail rule.
Speaker 1: Jeff Fisher Bill.
Speaker 3: Polling on the Rules committee in O four in there crying and you got to enforced rules ridictas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but it started with mail Blunt, So I don't can't tell you all the credit started with the Mail Blunt and that's me and male's thing. Now, you know, we had rules, so I look at that as a as a compliment. But the game, yeah, yeah, we would have been fighting, you know what I mean, absolutely, guess what, we've been drinking a beer afterwards.
Speaker 2: But like you could just tell I watched your film, you know, just you're a veteran on how to hold and like, you know what I mean, that's what the great DB's. They're the slickest. Everyone's cheating out there. It's just you gotta like you gotta grib back here and then you fucking fling your little body and undercut, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, what I see now is like people are going out there grab it. But if I'm running next to you, I'm sitting there doing this. I'm banging your arm because you can't run. And now when you're so used to of me fighting you, you can't get into your rock because you're worrying about me. Now, you know what I mean. The certain thing to think about two of the balls in there exactly. So when you when we running side by side, all I do is looking like I'm running with you, but I'm really you know, I'm really hitting you, so you can't go. But that was my my little thing because I had to slow you down. I mean, I can't getting no foot race. You know all the time, you know you used to hit guys on them. Yeah, yeah, always, it's always, it's always, it's always angle and try not to open up the gate. So when you open up the gate and they sit there, just go right, and now they donne stacked you. I'm always going to use that sideline as much as I can, you know what I mean. If I can get these paws on you. I knew I was stronger than most. You know, I might not have been like that in stature, but I knew I was stronger, and once I put my hands on you, it's over, you know what I mean. It was only a very few receivers that can muscle through that, you know what I mean. So from a receiver standpoint, it was a little different. Now when I can imagine if I happen to go against ground, you know, and I try to have to use more quickness. Now I would have took the challenge. I would have loved the challenge. But like being coached to get around him brew buh bru man, I'm telling you, he was a monster. You know he was. He was big as strong, country strong, you know what I mean. So I kind of grew up and learned in that era where you got the tough receivers, the big tight ends, and then the quick guy. So every week it was something a little different for me. I tell you right now, the receivers right now are pretty damn good though. You look at it, like but at the same time, you can't can't, you can't hit him and all that. So you look at Jamar Chase like that dude is like, you know, run you. He's he's strong, country strong, Cincinnati. Yeah, I know what I'm saying. He's the best as a receiver. You look at him and I just think he's He's just got a lot of everything. He can. He can fifty to fifty ball you, he can route you, he can out quit you, justin Jefferson, the same thing these guys. But you can't you can't hit him like he used to. Yeah, and it's harder to play.
Speaker 2: Guess what, you more dominated than this this generation.
Speaker 1: I would adapt, you know what I mean. But I'll say if I played the way that I played, I probably wouldn't get no check. You know, you're gonna get fine on everything, you know what I mean. But that's the way it was then, Like you didn't go across the middle like I say, you got you know, Rodney Harrison, Lloyd Milloyd, you're talking about at Water, Brian Dowkas, you talking about you go Ronnie a lot. You go across that middle if you want to, you know what I mean, ray Lewis ed Reed. I mean it was the game was a little.
Speaker 2: Way different, and I saw a transition in my career. It was probably thirteen fourteen fifteen is when they started calling shit. Yeah, because I would look at I would watch all my plays after the year and I'd look at like fifteen sixteen of my catches across the middle.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, early in my career probably would have been out for a week. Yeah shit, you know what I mean. Because the guys that are going for the interception and I'm blowing you up as much or they're they're hesitant because they can't blow you up right, so you so it made you more confident going across the middle.
Speaker 2: Because I remember when I got hit by Brian Dawkins my rookie year, I saw a star for three weeks. I had to learn how to play and catch with the fucking star because this dude let me up so goddamn herd right Chancellor from fucking the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: He lit me up.
Speaker 2: But like as it went on early later, like, guys, it's just changed. And it started with the farming systems and Pop Warner the seven on the seven cans and you know you gotta you gotta get interceptions to get paid. So guys, you ain't getting you ain't getting knockout hits and getting paid any more.
Speaker 1: People. You know, as players, you adapt to what the game is and say, okay now instead of looking before the knockout shot was just as good as a turnover, you know what I mean. So now you're looking to make that play. You're looking to anticipate and make the play. So yes, you can get paid. But at the same time, it's taken away from the game of my in my in my opinion, I really think that the game is is watered down. It's one thing with the quarterbacks, because they're the face and all that you need a quarterback. Everybody knows that, you know, protect them, but everybody else on the damn field, man, it just you rid of that folk. They got rid of the drop the drop hit drop tackle. Yeah, you know where you you get a guy from behind, you just drop your weight. They're gonna it's gonna make a fun They're gonna make that a penalty. How you supposed to Now if you pick them up and supplex them, that's a penalty too, right.
Speaker 4: You're not supposed to tackle.
Speaker 1: They just want the point. I think Vegas messed up the game a little bit, you know what I mean, because I mean, think about it. Why do you have to sit there and tell everybody who in and who were Hey, it's fair play whoever out on the field, that's out on the field. But the reason that you have to report injuries you have to do this is because of Vegas and the points. But they don't want they don't want players to bet, but they still want to make money that way. And I, like I said, I understand the game, but I think you know when you're starting to let so many other outside forces because it's the bottom line. And like I said, I understand business as a businessman, but come on, man, it's taking it's taken away from the game. Man ships the ship soft for twenty years, you would have played for twenty years. Nowadays, as much as it's taken away from the game, the ratings are up twenty three percent last year. From a players standpoint, I mean, guess what, you know why too, Because everybody betting, they're trying to see what they betsy is. They probably ain't the people's watching, not true football fans to guess what they're betting on it. So guess what, I'm trying to follow my money and see I'm gonna get paid. So it's like the casinos. They not making money from the food and all that good ship you see in at the restaurants, liquor and all that. They making money by you going to the table and guess what the sports books you're getting fans that's watching the game because they trying to watch their money because now you can bet on it. That means it's gonna automatically it's gonna be a snowball in there and next say it's at the bottom line. But the guys are getting paid a lot more money, which is great. I mean, I'm all for it, but I don't like, like, for instance, a defensive back. And this is where it's a little personal to me. If you're if you're running the route. This is Julian Edeman. He quick as a goddamn cat. So if you come across the middle and you catch the ball, I got, let you get two feet on the ground before I hit you. See, I mean, when the game is going so bad, I mean it's like you got to put feet down and have possession. Randy Moss, he too got damn fast, and the game moves too fast. I'm running fast. He running fast. So guess what I was taught. If you touch the ball, I knocked the shit out of you as soon as you go like this. That's how we learned to play the game. So to have to stop that and have to not go full tilt and the risk of getting fine and risk losing money. I think it's taking away the game from a player's perspective, but I understand.
Speaker 2: It is us are players that of our generations and the generations before us. But the young players aren't taught with you were taught, right, you know. So it's the game's just changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's definitely. It's definitely evolving, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go back to around January eighteen, two thousand and four, and this is a segment where we go over pop culture of things going around the world.
Speaker 1: Number one movie was Along Came paul You ever see that with Ben Stiller? Yeah? I probably. I can't remember it. Jennifer Anderstand.
Speaker 3: We were weirdly just talking about this the other night.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know the title, but I can't remember the movie this. I know you remember the song. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, this is my high school prom right here. I know you're right here winning the Super Bowls ye over here, Damn Paulo rot oh man uh Victor Mbiana Okay he was born. Man, that's the next face of the league. Man. I mean, somebody that tall, that skillful do that. Man, the league is in trouble because I mean he imagine when he puts on that good fifteen to twenty pounds. Needs to Yeah, he needs to. It's just the kid's nineteen, right, I mean, wait until he's twenty four, twenty five. Who's your NBA team?
Speaker 4: Being from like Western Pa, I didn't really have one.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I mean I've always loved of course, everyone's a Michael Jordan fan, but I was more of a Kobe fan anything. But being from Pennsylvania. You know when Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson. You know, I was always rolling with the six just being a Pennsylvania guy. But I had individuals that I like to watching and Allen Man and he's a football guy too, you know, he was a he was a city all right. So Alan Iverson man, you know you're talking about. I look for dogs and like say, who is a dog? Sometime time? You can be skillful, you can be tall, fast, god given, but when you have a dog, that's who I love playing with. And when I watched Alan Everson, Kobe Bryant, you know, Jordan, not only were they great, there was actually some damn dogs, you know they you know, like Rodney Harrison dog dog dog. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think if if our Celtics can get a little more dog in him this year, we're winning it all.
Speaker 1: I could, you know what, I would love to see it too. But they need to have that dog, you know in the finals. You know what I mean? You can't play pass dog? Huh? Can you explain? I think the dog? The dog is a mentality. You know that. And under any circumstances are you gonna break me, I'm gonna win. I'm gonna every play, even if you knock me down, I'm gonna get back up. I'm gonna come at you the same full tilt all day. And when adversity strikes you still don't drop your head. And you got that mentality that I'm gonna beat you this play. If you beat me, oh the next play, Oh it's own, do it again? You know what I mean? So that's what like we're looking up right there. Kevin Garnett dog dog, all time dog. What's rushmore of dogs? WHOA that's tough, that's tough, I would say, you know, okay, let's just throw out a couple from me sports. Lawrence Taylor dog dog one that just retired, Aaron Donald that is a dog, Ray Lewis dog. Rodney Harrison dog. You know what I mean? Because I'm telling you I'll say here because Rodney Harrison is supposed to be in a Pro Football of Fame. No, no, no, okay, no, he's Jimmy Smith dog, Julian Edelman dog. And not just because of you know, I looked at the journey to Okay, you can make plays, you can do all this stuff, but to know how tough he was to be able to go out there and do that and go out there and do what I do. I told Troy Brown, you got me fired, dog, I got hurt Troy Brown playing dB you know, and and did some dog ship picking stuff. He led the league, he led the team and picks you know, you know what I mean. So when you guys, when you guys come in and do that and can do more than just your job, and you do it with so much passion, and you're successful because no one expected you to be who you are. Maybe you expected it, but when you got drafted, or did you get drafted, Okay, you went seven round, damn it. That's basically a free agent bosh. But you're a free agent because you don't have to do two years huh exactly. But no one expected you or they brought you in. They didn't expect you to turn into the only person that can believe that as a dog. And you got to believe in yourself because basically, when you get drafted that late, you're coming from another position. You're basically there for a tackling dummy. You're there forgot. You're there for guys like somebody established like myself, to beat up on the exactly so for you to make it. You know, you a dog right there, and then to put it out there and perform, and then you had some of the top corners out there that didn't want to see him. So that right there, you fit in the dog. Tom Brady was a dog dog because from day one he came in there and he wanted to compete. He gonna talk shit, and I'm telling him we used to light him up. But he coming right back at you as a dog on head, bunch you. He gonna fight you. And that wasn't the quarterback that we've seen before.
Speaker 2: I got a real quick question because I know his octave he gets super.
Speaker 1: Was it even higher when he was younger? But yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean you know what you know, he when he when he throw out that, you know, you say something like you know, a little higher. You know, he'll sit the f you back and all that, but he will come at you. And he was not no pump. And that's what you know then he ain't no punk. Right there, that was like a compliment, Oh he ain't no pump. You know nowadays it's he ain't no bitch. He ain't no punk, you know what I mean? So that was Tom. I look at like receivers like again, Hye's Ward was a dog. He wasn't fast, he wasn't it, but he will sit there and rock you. You know, he will blindside the ship out at you too. So you always got to keep your head on the swivel. So I look at at the tough guys, even even you know, like I said t o Randy Moss was a dog, you know what I mean, because he was tough. Chris Carter, Michael Irvin, he will fight you all damn day too, you know what I mean. So I look at so many tough guys, but like just skill everybody and a dog man are.
Speaker 2: Born with a dog or can you develop the dogs. I'm sitting here looking at my seven year old daughter and I'm seeing some of this attitude and effort on the flip field right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm like, I don't know if we got dog in her what, you know what, puppy And my mom, My mom told me, you know, when I was younger, she said, you know you used to get your ass with you know, you wouldn't you wasn't that tough. But I remember one time that I came home right and she made me go back out there and fight, you know, like you're gonna you're gonna go out there and fight. And I started developing. So yes, you can develop the dog and you can develop dog yap the dog development. You could be born into it. To shirt that shirt developed. It's a tie log teacher, right. I develot time and you get that confidence and then it's like when you realize that you got to believe in yourself. That was my whole thing, was always believing in myself with no matter what anybody thinks. That's that's what a dog is.
Speaker 2: A dog is someone who believes in himself no matter what the situation.
Speaker 1: Right, absolutely, the.
Speaker 2: Situation is against you. If the world is against you, still still think you're gonna do it is when you stay ready, you ain't gotta get ready.
Speaker 1: They say the same thing with like like everybody asks me with the vaka. If you go to any liquor store, the vodka hour is always the biggest because you can make it with so many things. You can make it with you know, corn wheat, you know rye, even making it with cheese, grapes, all that. And they was like, why would you go into vodka when you got a guy like Tito's out there? You know everybody. I love his story, you know what I mean. He worked and he's the number one out there. But you know my attitude is hell. I can cover jay Rice, Random, mas Teo, Marvin Harrison, damn it, I can cover Tito's ass. Too much respect to Tito for real, man, because his story is incredible, but it's inspiring in a way. But you can't be afraid to go out there and give it a shot if you believe in your product, you know which I believe more so than anything. I know my product is good, you know what I mean. So if you put liquid the lips, you put it in there. You ain't going nowhere else, I promise you.
Speaker 2: Speaking of dogs, how crazy is it with was? I was looking at Aaron McNair, Steve McNair. He was a dog, a McNair's dog. Oh damn right, how they have co m vps. It was Steve McNair and Peyton Manning. You guys beat both the m vps to go to the Super Bowl this year.
Speaker 1: I hope you know that. Oh I did not. There was coin vps like mild I've never heard of that, because because we beat him in the playoffs. Yeah, yeah, we beat him in the playoffs beat two m dnps to go to the fucking super Bowl. That is that is crazy. But how do you get a co v P? Like who who's the panel? You know? I mean I got co VP of the Pro Bowl one year? Right, yeah, it was crazy, right? How many interceptions you have in the Pro Bowl because we were watching it? Yeah yeah, yeah so but co VP. So it was myself in Key Sean. And ain't no cost sponsors behind that. Hell, we got us a goddamn plaque. Man, I'm like, what a car? You know what I mean? What no cost? But I'm always like a little short end of the stick, even though like the Super Bowl, right, you know, people according to the papers, you know, not taking any thing, wait from from goat Brady. But I was supposed to be an that's what they say it, right, that's the first year that they went on the internet. Came up short, but got defensive Player of the game. Yeah where Brady got a car? Disney World? You know what I got goddamn Belover Watch Blover, Blover b you blow over Yeah, yeah, I got I got me one of them. Defensive That's what I'm saying. So I'm always playing a little dollar short. The year I got super VP was the first year they didn't give cars cap yours either. No car. You got the plaque. Now I got that ball, silver ball where right there? That that silver ball, that's you, Bullship, that Tiffany. Tiffany's nice hand show ball. But you called it. You signed and tell Tom to sign it, man ship. I'm I'm I'm I'm gonna tell Tom to sign anything signed that right there, Sign that right there, now you know what I mean. But then they have a car sponsor.
Speaker 2: It was the first year they stopped doing the car wow because you remember, like Dion used to.
Speaker 1: Drive his Cadillac. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he used to drive. They always drive their Super Bowl truck and every once in a while, yeah yeah wow, I never got one.
Speaker 3: They would they would bust out the Super Bowl car every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know he's see because Deon came back to us and he'd have this fucking twelve.
Speaker 2: Year old or like eight year old Cadillac eight year old.
Speaker 1: The year before the Pro Bowl, I think I was second, and because you know, I was getting the picks and car sponsored year, me and Keishawn got no sponsor. The next year, car sponsor again, I'm like, God, damn, he took a free car without you gotta pay TAXI man, were just the story more the story of that tech your car we had paid.
Speaker 3: Maning on here and he said he took that ship. Seriously in the Pro Bowl, he wanted the car.
Speaker 1: No, the game was a little bit different. We did play because man, it's so goddamn expensive over there. Man, So by the time you fly all your people over there and stuff like that, it's like, man, when it gets when it comes play cutting time, dany third fourth quarter, Like in the third quarter, fourth court, you see where you at. It's time to play ball. Because that's the difference in the checks, you know what I mean. You mean, you go from twelve thousand to twenty five thousand, So hey were trying to get that twenty five geez back then because he's playing tickets and all that. She was a lot of money bringing to everybody over day, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So you know we got up there, Jackie, Oh should we should we run through these teams real quick? Set the stage for this game.
Speaker 1: Set the stage. We'll jump into the game.
Speaker 3: This back to these uh these o three to oh four Indianapolis Colts, led by Peyton Manning. As we talked about earlier, some other dogs on this team, Marvin Harrison, Dwight Freeney, Reggie Wayne even not a Loki dog at kicker, Mike vander Jack guy was kind of he was kind of yoked. He was a tough kicker. Jeff Saturday, Robert Mathis, Dallas Clark's rookie season Cato June. They won the f SEE South. For all you division heads out there, there's only the second year of the AFC South. Colts were in the AFC East before that, so we had plenty of see We had plenty of time seeing Peyton Manning before that. And this was also a year oh three Peyton Manning where he still kind of had that rep of a guy that couldn't really get it done in the playoffs. Oh in three record entering this game in playoff games, even though he didn't win MVP this year, going VP that.
Speaker 1: Is, Did you guys hate the Colts as much as we hated the Colts in our era? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, because really because we felt like and like I said, love you know, Peyton, but you always ride with your guys. But even with all the success that we was having, Peyton was still the face of the league. It wasn't Tom Brady. It was always you know, Peyton and whatever he was doing, you know. And of course you look at how many you know, Hall of famers, you know, they got up there, you know what I mean, it's like, come on, man, and they got they got all the love they got, they got they got to love man. So we we used that as energy. We thought we were the better team. We thought we were tougher. They were more you know, I guess they was more of a finess team. But we always tried to look at us as a tough team, you know, man, exactly, exactly exactly, and that's what it was. And you knew they were going to put the game all the time in Peyton's hand. So as defensive backs, we love, we love to take that challenge. So that means if they put it in your hands, you got to be whipping my hands. So that's how I was like, no, that it's time to play. What were the keys to stopping Peyton, you know what? Switching it up? You know, as far as like the looks even though Peyton is smart enough and no, no enough as a as a quarterback, that we messing with him, just like he messed with us. Like he coming up there doing all these handsickens half the time, ain't saying ship, you know, and say omaha, what is home omaha mean? But we we would just start hollering out dumb ship too. We'll holler at omaha. We'll holler out beef jerky, yeah, something, you know, just to you know, try just a combatant combat right. But for me, I've never in my fifteen years of playing and ever was threatened by a quarterback. I took a different approach and I always respected it. I mean, I don't care if we're playing against Aaron Rodgers, Payton Manning, Damn Marina, whoever it was. I'm like, I gotta worry about you. I'm covering you. So if I got you covered, what the hell I got to worry about? You know them folk? If they a so, I'm doing my job right here. A lot of people get caught up into the quarterback. But if you got the receiver cup, he has to do a perfect ball if I'm draped all over you. So I was never threatened by a quarterback because I had enough to worry about, you know, covering the receiver and the only quarterback that I've ever played to where he made you think like, damn he different, Damn Marino. He was the only quarterback that I know that can place the ball at least from my experience, somewhere where the receiver got the best chance to catch and I couldn't. He was He was that guy as far as that for me, perfect pass, the perfect pass is uncoverable, right, And he was the only one that can do it like that. And then he didn't have a whine up. Dan was like, you know, he was able to just short arm inflect that thing and you had to pick it up. So when I got my first pick off of then, man, I found his ass after the game. Man. You know, I was a Pittsburgh guy. I had him sign that ball. Man. I was a fan boy. It was my second year league. I mean, mister Marino, could you sign? He was a good sport. I still got the super Bowl at dinner? Cool? Yeah, man is cool Dan, It's cool as hell. Man. He was just chilling. Yeah, you know, great, great player. I even my first NFL interception was off you know, a great you know, Jim Kelly. But when I got that one off of Damn Marino. Like I said, being a Pittsburgh guy, I was like, man, I was not getting on that plane back to New England until I get this ball signed. That's crazy because I remember, you know by the end, that's what guys are doing to Tom if they picked him. Oh yeah, hell yeah yeah. You know that's some crazy legend for people to have the balls. Yeah, to take the ball that you picked off of exactly. I mean you gotta shoot your shot, yeah, I mean you got to. I mean, and then, but it's also a sign, you know, a respect. And I knew I was getting old when when we were playing I think he was playing Tennessee and playing against one of the young guys. I don't even know who he was, you know. And after the game he caught like a little bullshit but was no touchdown, nothing like daddy. He wanted me to sign it for him, talking about Man, I had you on my wall man this and that. I'm like, Ship, I'm getting old. It's time to go, you know what I mean. I'm getting old When you got somebody that was a little kid and telling you that you were on the wall and all that stuff, and it's like, man, you want to sign it like a little yeah seven yeah, a little seven eight yards yeah that yeah. Now, can you imagine if Dan Marino played in this generation, you got to be a little mobile in this generation. Now, Damn Renal, you know, the big ass cleats. His might have been bigger than Tom right there. He was like, yeah, exactly. But his arm talent was incredible though. I mean people, you know, yes, man, when you talk about pure you know throwers, you know, and accuracy, Damn Marino was. Damn Marino was that dude. I've really never picked off a ball that hurt your hands like Drew Blest or Drew Bless who had one of the strongest, you know arms. Like he was like, no, I didn't get far far, they't mess with me. We was at the super Bowl when we played him in ninety six, and you know, Antonio, good friend. He's like, you know, before the game, you know, we just sized each other up, warmed up, and Frame was like, yo, you you ain't gonna get no action today. In my second year, I'm sitting there like, oh, he about today about to try to set my ass up. So now I'm really on guard, you know, and show enough that whole game, you know, Brett, And then Brett came out before that. He was like, all, you ain't get no action to I guess young Buck, you know too, you ain't gonna get no action to day. So I'm still thinking coming from Freeming him, they're trying to set me up showing up. He didn't mess with me. You know, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: We were interviewing Ernie and he said, specifically for when you guys played the Colts, he would dedicate an hour of the day just to study them. And he would started in November, early November, just because he always knew it'd come down, so you had to. And do you remember the game plan for this specific game?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: He said, You guys completely changed it up. You went to cover four because they used to love that ram pass. That seem so that you guys covered up the seams with the cover four in this game, and it fucked up.
Speaker 1: You know what for Like I was always worried about it, Like whatever Bruski said, Dude, I was playing, I was always yeah, yeah, that's what they used to do with Reeves. Yeah, where you know, like you could be playing Zone but they would just say you're over here. Yeah, exactly. And that's where I was, you know, you know, with it and man and whoever was on my side receiver, I covered, you know, I covered like it was man. You know, I mean, like say, we might say we're rolling or anything, we'll give you a shell. But you know, Bruski and them, you got to give those guys so much, you know, credit, because you know, not only did they protect the run, you got the great Edger and James up there, them running up the scene with those tight ends and that was calling those guys. It's like, bro Bruski had a hell of a job trying and then trying to keep my ass right. He trying to make sure everybody else right do his job, you know what I mean, Man, Teddy Bruski was an all time great man, all the time.
Speaker 2: Now, Super Bowl Week we'll get into the New England Patriots. But real quick, do you remember anything different going in this year?
Speaker 1: Guys? This is your third Super Bowl? This is you guys lost, No, we lost my second year, then we won the the Rams. Yeah, this is so this will be your third Super Bowl appearance. Right with did you feel like you had an advantage for Carolina? Carolina, you're having an.
Speaker 2: Advantage just because you guys experience, yes, experienced it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we thought we had advantage. But at the same time, we were also those guys before you know, you know, on the come up. You know, we came in and and uh, hey, we we wanted to win. So just the last game as you know, playing and uh, as many as you've played in man, it's like anybody can win that game. And they started off hit us with the big one quick, you know what I mean. You know it was a jake, the loan. You know, he running around, he talking all kinds of ship. But now we had we had Tom Brady, you know what I mean, and that and now by that time, you know, it was when he was with us. You know, first that's Tom Brady. You know who he started to be in that time. Come Tom mother fucking Brady. That's a difference. See we had like you, we had Tom Brady. You had Tom motherfucking Brady. See that, that's who he was that at that time. So when you have that, and we knew if we stayed in here, you're drinking Tom exactly.
Speaker 2: I had chiseled jaw, amocado, yeah, beautiful hair, yeah, skin complexion, and how do you smell good after practice.
Speaker 1: Tom. So when you got that, man, we were like, we knew what we had. All we had to do was now you don't mess up. Now we don't mess up because we know we give you a chance you don't already proved it time and time getting not just in the big games, but any game you know we're gonna win. And Tom, like I said, I've never seen anybody like him when it comes to being so cool and calm under pressure, set one man football, and that's Adam Vinit Terry. Yo, Bro, you talking about somebody is like no fear, you know, Like imagine going up there and you just got to take that free throw as easy as it might be to have to take that, all the pressure and everything riding on you. That's why I say they need to bronze Damn Foot like Tom need to have his statue, of course, but they need to have a big ass replica of Adam Van Terry Foot somewhere around on that stadium, you know what I mean, somewhere Put Adam for real. I mean I didn't even see I mean, after watching the Dynasty, I didn't even know he was on the team. Huh he was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jackie said, Patriot, all.
Speaker 3: Right, let's run through this roster. We've talked a lot about this era. Pats a team full of dogs. We thought that Colts had some dogs. I mean, god, dang, it was like Kat's compared to England.
Speaker 1: These are the dogs, Baby.
Speaker 3: Brady, Kevin Falk, Patrick pass and Twine Smith, Deon Branch, Troy Brown. I mean, that's just offense right there. On the defense, we got Jarvis Green huge this game, sack and left and right. It seemed like we got Tie of course, Anthony Pleasant, Richard seymour.
Speaker 1: Ty, Warren.
Speaker 3: This defense up a league low fourteen point nine points a game. We didn't lose at home all season eight to no. Bounced back from what people call the Lawyer Malloy game in Week one, Yeah, got whooped thirty one nothing, then ended the season doing the same thing, reversing the score, beating the Bills thirty one nothing, fourteen and two record. I mean, heck of a team.
Speaker 1: Man, look at that list. Oh man, that was some bullshit. You know, I ain't gonna lie. I mean, I was hurt because you know that was that was my brother, that was one of my best friends on the team. You know, man, we kind of like that was the dB. That was our UH. That was our room. You know, me and Laurd we was the two heads of the UH of the room. And when they let him go, especially being a captain, you know, every year, Lawyer was that type of guy. Man. He was a great He was a great leader. Like that's the only thing, like I clown a little bit about, you know, his speeches sometime, you know, is that you can't have something to say every day? Got that? I mean sometime we could just go on the fuck home, man, you know what I mean. But that was Lawyer for you man, My brother loved to death and I was. I was hurt. And then when they brought in Rodney, you know, so now it was that thing because I wasn't the biggest fan of Rodney, you know when he came in, because you know, one, he wasn't with us and respected his game, but he was always the competitor. And what really turned me off from Rodney. And like I said, I didn't even know Roddy like that at the time. I just knew he was a you know, a hell of a player. But Bill Belichick, he would come in and put on the tape for the DB's and we ain't even playing san Diego. We watching San Diego. Foe. He was like, see this, like seeing what we ain't playing them. It's Rodney Harrison running around like a mad man, just everything he was doing one hundred miles, just knocking a shit out of people. And I'm like, well, what the hell that got to do with us? He said, this is how, this is how you play. Ain't no fucking loaf in here. And Rodney wasn't like Rodney's in San Diego, you know what I mean, he ain't get here yet. So I remembered that, you know, I'm sing, and they're like, man, f Rodney Harrison, Man, fuck him, you know what I mean. And when he came, you know, it's like, okay, now he's part of the team. You know, you see him play much respect whatever. But then they let Lawyer go, so then that went back to where it's like, hold on, man, he came in here with that bullshit and now they even cut my brother this and that. But Rodney was just one of those type of guys that man, you had to respect you. He earned it, he earned it, but man, and he didn't need to earn anything from me. He was already Rodney Harrison, but to see his work athlete, his practice habits, and he made you step your game up. And then when you're out there on the field with him, you'd be like, oh my god, this is different. You know. It's like for instant, your example, Lawyer, I'd be like, Lawyer, I see this, I'm about to jump this shit. He was like, you paid all that money. Cover that motherfucker. That's lawyer with holidays. You can you get paid all that money? Cover that mother I'm saying, I see someone jumping. Rodney. Hey, Rodney, I see this man. He's like, got you go go go take it, take it, you know what I mean. It was just that type of Dynamic's like lawyer was ready to go knock the hell out of something and he will put it. So it was a great dynamic. I could have just imagined if we can all play together, man, with Lloyd Malloy and Rodney Harrison, you're talking about no flies on. You couldn't go nowhere but Rodney Harrison. You know, like I said, it was one of the greatest to ever play the game. And like I said, he should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I want to say that here right now, because I've been saying that forever. There's only two guys in the history of the game that got thirty picks in thirty sacs, Ray Lewis being one of them. We praised Ray for being, you know, the all time great, you know, the goat, but somebody did it before him, and his name is Rodney Harrison. He did it first, but he don't get the same admiration or anything for that particular stat And if you look at the stats with all the Hall of Famers, Rodney Harrison is right there with every safety that's in the Hall of Fame right now and getting looked over for what reason, I don't know. But one of the best that I ever played with Monster. I mean, we heard about how hard he practiced ruh and and Bill and Bill loved it. But he made you step your game up, you know what I mean. So Rodney, you know, a respect because you know, you just don't give out anything. Heat sit there and took his respect. And the way he played the game, man, you had to sit there and say hat soft man, and a lot of times you got to follow his lead. Man, that's the type of guy that he was. From a leadership standpoint, the way he played the game. And if I'm gonna go to any foxhole, damn, we're gonna get out with Rodney. Yeah, who's the unsung hero of the team this year? This year and three oh tomorrow and three I think the unsung hero when you look at all those names, I was, like, I always say, Troy Brown. Troy Brown is just one of those guys that when you need a damn play, Troy is gonna be the one to do it, you know what I mean. And like Troy Brown was an absolute dog, just like yourself. Troy got cut a couple of times, you know, I think twice, and you know after later, you know they've been trying to replace Troy Brown for I don't know how damn long. But you couldn't, you know, you couldn't throw them away and for him to you know, Like I said, I look at you guys very similar in the way you played the game. As far as being tough, being the dog, it ain't. But you as a receiver that went over to play dB, that came from when you came from, Troy was more of a returner you know as well, and to come play defense and being that tough guy making the plays when it mattered most. Being small in stature, you know, big attitude and crazy dog when it comes to, you know, competing. That's who I look at it and say, man, Troy Brown did. It wasn't high, wasn't high draft, It wasn't the fastest guy, wasn't the biggest guy. We caught him little dude, you know what I mean, that's the Troy's name, Little dude, little dude to whooped that ass. You know, don't sleep on it. Troy. He's always been any classacked dude, absolutely class Absolutely, he was always around as a coach. But you know he would always we'd always have a connection just because you know, he knew what I was going through. And you know he mean connects you on that play because he went through it. I'm telling you. They tried so many times to replace him or bring somebody else in the Troy always ended him. It's kind of like OLDA Smith, same thing. Yeah, you know, olda Smith. He was a great mentor to me, you know, one of like like I wouldn't be the player that I am without you know, a guy like OLDA Smith that's taking me under the wing and telling me, you know what to do, how to be a pro jack. Let's let's see this game lead off, lead up to this game.
Speaker 3: This is the AFC Championship game. So to get there, Patriots had to beat co VP Steve McNair and the Titans seventeen fourteen, a tough one, and then Denver was bawling out. They had to play in the wild card. I mean not Denver. I'm looking at Denver here Indy, and he had to beat Denver put up forty one. Then they beat Kansas City put up thirty six. The offense was clicking, which just made the performance that this Patriots defense came out and laid even that much more impressive. The Patriots hadn't lost in Week four playing the Redskins, so they were just on a roll. And this was the first playoff meeting between the Patriots and Indy, the first of many, which is crazy. Brady Brady owned the Colts up until this point. It's worth noting six and oh in uh, it starts against the Colts to this point.
Speaker 1: His first start was against the Colts after the Jets game. You guys won, then you guys lost three ye right, yeah, okay, that's when we hit him for three right there right. Usually certain games is you just hot. It ain't nothing that you can do that nobody can cover you. It was one of those games where that is nothing that you could have done, you know, to beat me. That did you just feel it? I ain't felt that way in a long time. You don't. It don't come all the time, I tell you that day lying, But that particular game, I didn't care who you threw out there in front of me. I just had a feeling that, you know, you just got that glow like Bruce Leroy up in this month, I heard I heard the NFL planned this thing in the football this game. It was called the ugly Finder, So whoever had the most it was just the ball would find the ugly guy them. I love that hip. I love But you know what, like you said, we're always one little, one day short, one week short. Why could I do that in Super Bowl? You know what I'm saying. You found Like I mean, I'm glad that it happened though, so we got in the duble. But I mean that's the kind of game, the game that you want to feel and you want to have in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Man, you gotta be careful because Rodney Harrison had the other interception.
Speaker 1: Man, oh he'll hit you here, he might hit me. Yeah yeah, yeah, I'm my back back and all that ship.
Speaker 3: Yo, that one handed one in the second quarter, like that was it?
Speaker 1: Man? Oh yeah, that's the third drive drive Yeah yeah man. And that one right there was when we had it was one of those cover tues where you know they're trying to get you back on that seventh you know, yeah, yeah, you know you're gonna get the good jam off the off ben and and he floated it, you know what I mean. I said, you know what I was willing to give up up, you know, the low underneath one, you know what I mean. And you know Peyton trying to win, Peyton be and Peyton being confident, and he put it up there and that just that just started everything. Man.
Speaker 2: Now look at your chops when you saw the forecast thirty two.
Speaker 1: And so absolutely absolutely because the games down. Man, it slows the game down. And yet we knew we were tough guys, you know what I mean. So this falls right into us. I mean, you guys are playing in the dome, you know what I mean. It's it's it's a different ball game I had. This is real this is real deal football, you know what I mean. So in thirteen when when Peyton was on Denver and the AFC Championship, we go out to fucking Denver and we're.
Speaker 2: Praying, like, oh, I think we're gonna get Snow. It's gonna be she They turned out be seventy five and sunny.
Speaker 1: They beat us. Yo, we're hopings, hey man, you know what, and like after you know games, you know, like this, Okay, we wining there. But when we went to play the rams Bro on the greatest show on turf in the Dome, everybody thought that we was gonna get our asses whip. I think to this day we distilled the biggest underdogs from a betting standpoint. Yeah, in Super Bowl history. That was flat out fucking disrespectful. Ernie.
Speaker 2: Ernie asked me to ask you about Bobby Hamilton. Bobby Hamilton, we shocked the world, he said. He said, he found out in two thousand and one, you guys were what h and for something or your two and two and he felt like the team clicked in a practice or it was in the year before that, and when you mother fucked Bobby Hamilton. You and him got in a fight, okay, yeah, yeah, he didn't come in and communicate the motion.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, me and Bobby Man, that's my guy right there, like you're talking about hilarious dude. But Bobby was always super intense when it came to football. He had to fight his way to get to where he was at. And like, dude was coming down and I didn't call out the crack and it didn't even hit Bobby, it was. It was one of the other you know, outside linebackers line at the time. And so Bobby, of course, you know, come being Bobby getting up in my face, and now you know, you know that's where the oupha was coming at. So you know, I'm about to go at it, you know, with his ass, you know, three hundred pounds ass. But I was like, man, I ain't. That's when the al equipper come out. There ain't no bitches around here now, would let let's go, you know, So we started going at it. Didn't he come out of the line, and here come to DB's knowing that we can't beat them, you know what I mean. From besides, especially when Willie's big ass come up in there, you know, what I mean, you know what I mean, Yeah, exactly, Debo come up in there. But it was just one of those things that that's how we were, you know what I mean. So you expected me to do my job. He was protecting his d lineman by coming at me saying, God, damn it, call out the crack, you know what I mean. Yeah, I could have called out the crack, you know, and I think I did. He might not have heard it. But if I didn't and he didn't hear, it's still, you know, my fault. But you are not to come in here and that like you, my mama. I'm a grown ass man, so you're gonna talk to me with a certain type of you know, respect, And that's how it was. But that's just how we did. But guess what what we're doing after practice? Where we're going, you know what I mean? Where we drinking that and it's all love, you know what I mean. We will sit there, we can go to blows on the sideline in the practice. I'm talking about, be some real scratch man. Afterwards. Man, it's all love. Were eating wings and drinking.
Speaker 2: That's what Ernie said, though he said that was when he saw the team started to gel.
Speaker 1: What did you think you guys? Uh, you guys were gonna be a super Bowl caliber team. He goes, it was just a third down practice Week five. We were zero and four and it's when Ty and Hamilton got into it. I shot there and it was like start the stick, start this stick Yep, he b hamm and he gonna come right at you. But it was like, you know a lot of times, you know, the big guys, they think they gonna come at the I think it's going no, no, that's not happening.
Speaker 2: Beat by Derek Burgess because I was when I was on scout team the Raiders and years, and he like I had to do something. It was on the fucking card right to go hit him and he got he like mushed me for no reason after the play, and I fucking mushed him back. We almost started throwing blows and Derek Bridges probably hated. He didn't like he was kind of in his own world, you know, he felt like an outside Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, after that he was my dog, though he respected the out. It was a guy I don't know if you remember his name. His name was Sean Morey, went to Brown Universe. He was a receiver no one expected him, and they gave him a tryout out of Brown receiver. He was. He was an eleven to twelve year special team guy, just running down on kickoff. He was like, you know, uh a Matthew Slater at that time. He was that type of guy and he he had some success play eleven years. Who do you do when you come into the yard. He tried to pick on, pick on the big guy. I'm the guy with the name right, So he came right at me hard all day, you know what I mean, And we got into it and I had to twist him up a little bit. But after practice I had to give him some love, man, because look, he trying to make the team. I'm already established. He's a free agent, you know, basically just got an opportunity because like he went to Brown, he earned everything. Man. So I look at Sean mulray or he was a dog because he wasn't afraid to come at me. You know, sometime if you want a guy, you go out the wrong guy, you're gonna get cut now. Sean, man, he always gonna have my respect. And I haven't ever got to tell him this in person outside of the time afterwards the practice. It was good man. I had to, you know, you know, buy him a beer. Man. I said, man, you keep working, bro, and keep working. You gotta respect guys like that, got it. I mean that those are the I was one of those guys, you know, I had to do that kind of ship. Yeah, but can you walk us through beat for beat? The pick six, he's an easy one, that was. That was one of the easy you know, you know picks like because I always give credit to Rabel. You know, Rabel, you know, made him Aaron flow. It was one of those things where you know, he did the same thing that Indy used to do and start putting Marvin in motions. So they put Isaac in motion so I couldn't get him at the line of scrimmage. And it was one of those places you had to back off, you going to motion and you just seen it, you're coming. Rabel got through so clean that okay, now I'm just reading him. And then it was an Aaron throw. So I said, I'm gonna be Hesitan case Isaac because he had an Isaac can route. He would rap the hell out of you. So it's like, okay, you're playing for the double move. It might be because I didn't know because he wasn't going in motion like that until then. So I was kind of trying to feel it out. So what type of games is gonna be? And Rabel came in there and he wind back the thought. I'm like, you bullshit, he dude, it come on, man, come on, Kirk, you know what I mean. And it was coming like it was slow motion. I was sitting like, oh, this is the super Bowl. That's the kind of shit you dropped because it's so easy. It's so easy and rop it. But you know, once I got it, man, all you seen was flashes and it was like everything would blank, you know, and you know it's like you hear the screens and it just went silent, and I'm running down there and just flashes and knowing that this is it, you know, in the super Bowl, and got that pick and the rest we rolle the hell out of it, you know what I mean. We wrote the hell out of that thing man. The hand that's just like I don't even know what I was doing, you know, I just I just it's super I just clew it up, you know what I mean. It's something that I've never done before in any of my picks or my pick six. I didn't throw it up. It was just something that just happened and I threw it up there and it's been the iconic picture ever since, so damn iconic. Insane. Oh man, let's get back into this game real quick. You guys start off hot. You guys started off hot, did you? But you knew it wasn't it wasn't going to be over because of Peyton Manning, right. I mean you think about the people that they had on it. Look at their skill, guys. You got Edrin James, Hall of Famer, you know a lot of Hall of Famers with the whole lot little rint mount of rings. Yeah, a whole lot of Yeah, we got a lot of rings exactly. But you talk about some some some true some true dogs, you know what I mean, And that's what they had. I was like, Edrin James can play Marvin, you know, I mean, he wasn't like like a tough guy, but Marvin, he's gonna god damn compete, you know what I mean. I read a story that he didn't need to chase someone down for rent money once. Oh you know what, you know what? Yeah? He was he was. He was a quiet guy. He didn't talk a lot, you know, he wasn't like, you know, you know those guys I want to sit and hang out with. Oh yeah, you know what, you know what, so saying he's not a dog, I was saying that from being a vocal you know, most receiver ship talkers, you know, like like, uh, you know, Isaac, He'll you could be warned up, He'll walk through your ship. He was that guy trying to get into you. Joe Horner talker, O Joe a talker, you know what I mean. Even though they was tough, you know what I mean, and great players, but it was something different about somebody that's willing to fight you and not try to just get in your head. It's like, you know, I ain't got to do a lot of talking. So yeah, you know, he was that type of guy. But you look at their offensive skill position and their guys. Man, it's like god damn. So it's never over. It's never over with them. And we knew that, and we was giving it all all the week got and of course Peyton Manning, you give him enough opportunities, he's going to make some plays. So you always got to respect your opponent and letting and know that they're going to make some plays too. Now you didn't play any special teams, Uh no, you know you're really good for I played my first year, you know what I mean. But then what we did take pride in and if Troy needed us, me and Lawyer, we love to be the gunner, like the guys that hold up there. That was that was that was, that was us on the avice. So my thing, we would always try to like the guys on the side. You guys score seventeen points with special teams, Hey, we try to knock the gator right down. That was the goal. So when we're out there as the gonna we line up insight. We want you to go outside the roger there, but you can get no, not just get him out of bounds. Were trying to knock over the gatorade. So that was the goal, to try to get them in the gator rade, you know what I mean. And we got a couple of people like that, you know, through the years, we lock them up. We trying to knock y'all's fucking drinks down, you know what I mean, And especially if we was on that sideline. But that was pretty much the only special teams kickoff, did that, and you know how you're supposed to go down there, and and I was never like the wedge guy. I was always want to call him fold as soon as they kick it. No, you've got to go down there phone so I could come in the back. I'm not going down there that you You tougher to me, Bro, you hear about this new thing. I think they're gonna go to that new XFL shit, what is I I couldn't I couldn't follow it.
Speaker 2: So they're gonna have not ten guys from the kickoff on the opposing forty five I think, or thirty five forty five, and then a ten yard gap with nine guys for the return team.
Speaker 1: So there's a ten yard cushion.
Speaker 2: Kickers still weigh in the back, kicking by himself, so they're taking We're all usually on that our own thirty five. They're bringing it all the way here. So there's a ten year cushion and you get two returners. You can't have any You can have a wedge on the front line, but it's gonna be I don't know, it's fucking weird.
Speaker 1: You're taking away from great players. And I'm glad that he got in the Hall of Fame, where I think that's gonna really open up the doors for you know, specialist guys like yourself, you know, Devin Hester getting in, Man, that was an exciting part of the game when you're taking shit and taking the punt returns. Because that's a exciting part of the game. Man, How did you feel like that? Did you feel like that was like especially you were more of a you know, pure receiver then. But do you feel like that they took away from you specifically when you were doing more to returners when they start changing these rules. No, they haven't really changed punt Well I'm talking about the kickoff, the.
Speaker 2: Kickof Yeah, the kickoff when I was covering kicks. Yeah, but it wasn't ever in my generation by the time. Yeah, it sucks because I was boys with all the teamers for like my first four or five years. You know, I hung out with the special teams guys, and that's their job. They're just eliminating jobs eight jobs.
Speaker 1: But then the exciting plays, you know, I played with Daunte Hall man, I mean, oh, man, beast, you know what I mean. You sit there like, you know, I was out on the field when Troy Brown and when we're doing that in Pittsburgh and the game, you know, I was out there on the field as as de vice, you know what I mean. So it's like that's a big part of the game. You know. Kickoffs, man, you you do this, you don't get to see Devin Hester, how many kickoffs did you take up? I took four punt returns. I had two called back. That's it. You had two called back? Damn. Oh wow.
Speaker 2: You can never get mad at a guy trying hard on kickoff or you know in the kicking game because those guys get a holding call, you get a clip. Just try and work their for you, right, So Dane Fletcher and Patrick Chunk even impact.
Speaker 1: Like a Matthew Slater. I mean, I used to love watching Matthew on the kickoff. That's the only time I like look at the kickoff because Matthew sla gonna be the first one down to feel. He don't give a damn who in front of him. He running through it. He found a way and make the play. But it's taking away from god thing because guess what, you running down there fast as hell, it's going to be a touchback. You know, it's the new rule. They the new touchback. If you kick it in the end zone, they get it out. It's like they think the forty or the thirty, it's some big ass numbers. So they're they're trying to make it where you want to kick it in the kick zone, which is the twenty to the goal line. It's fucking weird. It's like some wow in theory.
Speaker 4: It's gonna make a little bit more like returns happen and just make it safer. But we'll see it's gonna be complicated and hard to fallow.
Speaker 1: Jackie, break down this game. Let's put a bow on this bad boy.
Speaker 3: This was a game that defense of the Patriots really ran this thing. Five turnovers, three picks by ty Law, three sacks by Jarvis Green. I didn't know he had three sat by Rodney, and in our mind's eye we were talking about this earlier, it really felt like a blowout, like as we look back on it, but it can't. I mean, the Colts at the ball with under two minutes left, marching down the field trying to tie this thing up, but uh gotta stop. Adam knocked through a field goal put us up twenty four to fourteen to ice that game. And uh it's became the second NFL game without a punt, crazy, right, no punts in this thing?
Speaker 4: Wild? There was there was a punt. There was an attempted punt of safety.
Speaker 3: It was a safety went by, uh went by the punter and he kicked it out of the back of the end zone for safety.
Speaker 1: You know you know what. I didn't know that. You know what that calls fort Okay, now we got to do the peer. We gotta run and done. No, this is the peer. This it's just pure potato. Now this is corn. Yeah, all natural, let's do it. Hey, it's to success to you guys, mane, thank you for having me. Really appreciate it. Hey and beating the Shehall of the Cold. Yeah, absolutely, look sure, all respect. Now what's the aftermath? The aftermath? New England goes on to beat the Panthers in the Super Bowl thirty sevens right, second super Bowl in three years, pretty much starting to get that dynasty talk, dynasty talk, dynasty talks coming. Uh.
Speaker 2: Indy would continue to struggle in the playoffs until twenty six two thousand and six, beat.
Speaker 3: The Bears in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Eat the Bears in the Super Bowl, which Ernie thinks that that was the super Bowl. That was the Super Bowl? Was that game that you guys that they lost in you know six because the Bears, the Bears were a caliber team.
Speaker 3: They had Rex Grossman starting at quarterback. I mean, no Shade erect come.
Speaker 1: On now, yeah, I mean that was I mean, they we knew, we knew what was going to happen. Then. I think it was uh, you know, you know, more rioting on the line just than just you know, Peyton getting his you know about you know, Tony dungeye b and one of the you know if African American you know, you know at the time it's gonna be African American. Another one, yeah, lef, you know, getting a Super Bowl ring and you know you're still you know, you're looking at that. Tony Dungee was awesome, Like Tony that you that you want to play for, you know, and he played the game. You know, Bill coached him.
Speaker 2: I think he coached him on special teams back in the day.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: I remember I saw an interview where Tony Dungee was talking about how Bill was his special teams coach.
Speaker 1: Wow, I didn't know that. But you know, it's different, like you know, I used to have the ship with Bill sometime and Eric Man Jenny, you know, my dB coach, and they'll say, like a certain technique. I'm like, have you ever stood across from random Moss coming fool speed at you to say to do this that that? Like man, hell no. But when you say the same thing to Herman networds, Oh yeah, yeah, look at I've been that TALLO say the full I been. I've been there, so her so her. It's like it's a little bit different when they play. So Tony Dungeon he played at the at the highest level, you know what I mean. So it was just one of those you know things that you know when I went there, it was such a difference playing like Belichick, he can see it, he can know it and all that stuff. But saying they didn't experience it, they didn't experience that speed and that you know, and what's really going on out in the field. So sometime as a young player, you know, and that's as a player in general, you know now that do you understand what's really going on out here? Do you see that man over there? Do you see the freak that damn Randy Moss t O and all you do you see that? But herm will let you know real quick. You know, I got I got thirty, I got thirty three, thirty six somethingdy, He'll let you know it. And he got thirty plus in this league. So you ain't about to sit there and tell him, you know what's gonna happen. Hey, Man, love love her Man. HER's funny. Oh speech as ever. Man. I mean we watched him on the ESPN. Yeah, he's funny, hilarious. Eric little Bill, Yeah, we called we called you little Bill. Yeah, a little little Bill told on the teacher. That's what I'm saying. I'm like, but you know when I went to first time, my first stint with the Jets, Yeah, no, it was the second, you know, the first stint was with her, and then I went back again, you know, after I left Kansas City and I went to the Jets second time. That was you know, man, Jeanie was there. So you were there during all the spy games, huh Man. I was there late because I came in like at week eight. You know what I mean. I was. I was I was ratted Daddy out and then he was daddy No way. I was there. I was there with the I think I was new. What year was that I was still in New England? Was seven? Oh? No, I was gone, you know, I was what I was in Kansas City. I came back in eight, so, you know, but just going there and with Eric, because now now we had a different time Like when I went to the Pro Bowls Eye, I always always bring Eric because he's a dbe coach of his family and we'll go over so we had a different type of bond of connection. So I should just try to tell him just be you. I think when people leave Belichick, they try to be Bill, you know what I mean. It's like, no, it's only it's only one Bill. So I think even with Josh, I was there with that spike exactly. But it's like that's why I didn't. I didn't even know. But you know, Eric, he was like, hey, I know where all the bones buried. You know, that's that's what they know. Where that So and if you was doing that, which, like I said, as players, we never knew anything, you know what I mean. So it's like when they say this and that, like when have you ever came in and seen another person's practice or anything like, I've never experienced that. So when people say that, what do the hell are you talking about? But then if if Eric was to say something, if he was the one to go out, Okay, Bill, you know who you're playing to. You don't gonna do that ship or if something is really going on like this, you didn't. You can't do that on the player, that on somebody that you was doing. So it was dumb on both day parts if that was the case. You know what I mean. But I've never seen personally, have you ever seen a since you've been there, have you ever seen it when it was all coming out? I've never seen nothing like that.
Speaker 2: No, But I mean I was watching that that documentary and I'm sitting there and was there.
Speaker 1: Eric wasn't on it. Man, did Maie come on it? He's been banned from football if you noticed it. Huh. I know he's doing TV. But ever since he told on him, he ain't got a job.
Speaker 3: He did have a cameo on the Sopranos, so that was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: He was in the Sopranos.
Speaker 2: The Belichick in factors that someone is saying like, I don't want that my my my building.
Speaker 1: You know what? Secret? You know what? I don't know if you were saying and if you got black ball, because he had after you went, Check went to Cleveland Cleveland, so they still he still was at that. But you gotta you gotta win, you know what I mean. And he hadn't do that. But if you was the one that called out and you participated, you know, if that was anything going on, it's like, that's hypocritical if that was the case. Like I'm keep saying that because I know people try to sound like I never seen the ship. I never know whether check you got to be a damn food if you do that to somebody that know, would the bones beard and seekers and all that stuff. But I think it's kind of like baseball. These fools are stealing each other signs all year long. Yeah, that's why you tell people's like if you see somebody with when can you ever do anything when you get the signal?
Speaker 2: Right, It's like you can't communicate it until the next game and things are changed anyways.
Speaker 1: But I'm just still mad at Eric Mangini. That was some bullshit. You can't be going literally, you know, like it's kind of like kind of like a little baby bird coming out of an egg. Bill literally sat on your ass and hatched you.
Speaker 2: And hatched you, and you're gonna go away from the nest and you're gonna go try to kill Mama bird.
Speaker 1: I think you know, like I said, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, I get what you say. I think it's dumb if that was the case it was done on both day parts, because it's like if some situations like that was happening and he knew it, you know, not to do that, you know, to him, because he can you know, I don't get dog or you're a rat if you you think you can do it. I got to see the rest because I didn't know if he did that, and he and they said the only thing that he did it, that's some rat ship. That's rad ship right there. I don't know. I don't know speculation, you know, shoot after this, but we're not saying allegedly all. I got to let the rest of it. But like I said, I have never seen the stuff for me personally to be able to watch somebody press like the ram still Man Marshall f Marsha fawk Stills. That's my guy too, right there. You know, Marshall, it's over. Man, Oh broh, you talk about hell to prepare for it. Man, Marshall fall. Marshall falls a b is that exactly? Hell of a receiver, Marshall, if he wanted to and he trained at it, he probably could have been a productive receiver. That's how good he was, you know, out of the backfield. That's what people say. He was that good the scrolls route. But we still whip you all ass Yeah, physical exactly great, greatest show on Turn, the bed Track team all that stuff, and like they were extremely extremely talented. Man, you know, you're talking about Tory Holt, the same thing was like the same thing Marvin Harrison, Reggy Wayne, you're talking about Isaac Bruce was one of the best routers to ever play the game, you know what I mean? And talking about stop on a jime. He was like you know Ricky, Yeah, Ricky. And then you had Tory hold Over there with that speed that could take the top off anytime. You had Kurt Warner. Then Marshall fall. You had to like we had somebody in there, guys just rotting with marsh fall. Yeah, but I was that.
Speaker 2: One team that I was playing Madden and Ship you played right, exactly exactly right.
Speaker 1: And then Marshall fault, like we had somebody mimicking him, and it was just different guys rotating the number twenty eight because the job was we ain't gonna lose with Marshall, so somebody hit him. So you're talking about rookies a sore. We all put in a little something to give them extra check, you know, after we won that game, you know, and before we played the game, we all chipped in and all the guys that Scout Team, guys that played, uh, Marshall fault, we gave him a little bonus. I love that. Yeah, that's how we were. That's what we did, man, because they was getting the ship kicked out of them all week.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you right now, I didn't give no bonuses when we play against a dB unit that was noturist, you know, for holding in Bill. He was literally light up the Scout Team guys off sides in us holding us, They're gonna fuck hold you in the game at him, and what are you gonna do about it?
Speaker 1: There? You know he do ship where he'd make make him hold us just to get us, you know, frustrated at practice because you know the team we were playing. I won't throw no teams under the bus. But you know who you are be holding the whole time, you know what I mean? So so it was ever a dB, Like who was the dB that you was? Like? God damn. So like just like you said with you said Jimmy Smith.
Speaker 2: It's crazy because Reeves was probably the best corner I played with. But one of the guys that I hated matching up against was Jimmy Smith of the Ravens. Wow, he was a big, long corner, but he could get in and out of breaks. And I remember we used to I was training at API over in l out here in l A. And I remember him coming out for the draft. I think he went to Colorado. He's a first round draft pick and this dude was big, and he remembered doing his cone drows, Like this guy's fucking fast, he's quaking getting out of breaks. And it was just we used to play them twice a year all the time, in the playoffs and regular season. He was just he knew how to use his hands, he knew how to play me. You know, I thought he was always he was very competitive, and then he got older, he lost the lots something.
Speaker 1: We all did. But right, yeah, but I that battle I just remember, because we played in so many important games against him, right right, right, Okay, I just always respected him. Yeah, that's what's up, Jackie went. The legacy of this game. The legacy of this game.
Speaker 3: The Patriots beat Peyton Manning once again, go on to win Super Bowl against the Panthers and keep the streak rolling. If you remember, they won twenty one straight games from week five of three all the way to week eight of four when it came to an end against the Steelers.
Speaker 1: That's why I broke my foot. Damn, my friend, that's why they won it. Jones Straccher, huh fifth MINUATERSA No. I had a list, Frank, list Frank. I had a list, Frank. So that's why the tables turned right there. So hey, hey, my bad fellas Man because and then at the time, you know, it was because of my assignment. You know, I had Hines wherever and if you could see before I got you know, I broke my foot that game. You know, we I mean we we we had stuff under control, you know what I mean. It was about to be a rap. But then you have to change. And like I said, Sante came in and went on to have a hell of a career. You know what I mean. You can argue, oh whoa you said, Sante? How come with Sante hates Bill so much? Man? I don't know, man, because like I said's little brother man. And I think it started stilling with no, no, it's been I think it started with the contract stuff. So I think felt disrespected, you know, especially when I was gone. He was up next to get his contract and I and I think he felt like he's proven himself, which he did. You know, you look at the numbers, you know he put he put it out there, you know what I mean. Sante Samuel got some damn numbers. You know what I mean. He can play, So he was the next He was the next guy up. You know, they released me after I broke my foot because I had this huge cap number, so I got released. Sante he stepped into that role, got stup bowl. Then guess what he's sitting there making plays. So when they didn't give him a long term contract and enfranchised him, all that it played on him because man, he wanted to be appreciated for what he's done. If you're not letting go and get some money, and that's didn't happen. So he went out there balled out, and I think that Sante has never forgotten what he went through to get to where he was at ended up going to get you know, his money, you know, elsewhere in Philadelphia and Atlanta, continued to make plays. So you know, much respect to you know, little brother, you know what I mean. But I think his dislike towards Belichick stemmed from him not giving him his money and not giving him the respect that you know, he thought he deserved or rightfully deserved.
Speaker 4: You would have made that Picktown in Super Bowl. You would have made that pick thown.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yeah, hey, but you know what he got plenty. I mean that was he was. He was a ball hog. He was a guy. He's always around the ball. The ball found him and the one thing that he can do is catch the ball, you know what I mean. And of course we all like, I think I would have really secured the m v P. But guess what, it just wasn't magnified like a Sciantas. He figured it's over. I dropped a pick in the Super Bowl that it would have really iced everything. I dropped it right in my hands. Everybody, look at the one that I caught. You see you know, hand up and there you see that one. It's another one that I should have caught, but I got blinded by the lights and all that, and I just know I dropped that ship. I'm like, God, damn it, I dropped that in the m v P with it, because now I had two picks. They were down in the reds on the bout to score, and they ended up they ended up scoring. But it was a pick that I would pick off any day of the week, and and I dropped it one. Yeah, I made the big one. But that's what that would have iced the game right there, because they would stop they score driving. I mean, you know what it is. That was like I was coming over, I was covering Isaac like ship. Sometimes it's too good to be true. Yep, did we miss anything to the other big We talked about this earlier, but of course after this game, the tie law rule was enacted, changing the NFL as we.
Speaker 3: Know it today for the worst, for the worst pro offense. We're turning into basketball here. I mean, that's another big takeaway from this game.
Speaker 1: But the tie law rule. Yeah, mine got one too. Yeah, the spotter rule. Remember when I got blown up by Cam Chancellor in the Super Bowl, and uh well ever since then because I was staggered getting up, I still played now that they put in the spotter rule because of that, because now they'll pull you if they think you got a concussion. Wow damn. Yeah, yeah, that's better than that one. Hey.
Speaker 3: And of course this game and a whole slew of other great games led to Tie getting in the NFL Hall of Fame in twenty ninth.
Speaker 1: Seen. Hell yeah, appreciate it, man, thank you, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: What is the coolest Hall of Fame perk that people might not know?
Speaker 1: You know what we used to be able to get. I don't know if they still got it, but we used to. We have something that we can go to any NFL game. So all you got to do is to make the call ahead of time, and you and a guest can go to any NFL game. We're talking box, are we talking? You know, like on the field before the game, because you got your Hall of Fame credential and you can go to anything outside of the Super Bowl. Now that sh it don't work there, so they get all of you just walk there. But I think they give you up to like five or six games anytime you want to go to and you just got to you gotta call ahead of time, you know what I mean, Like the regular seasons. If I'm out here, like I took advantage of it, you know here before to go see a game, you know what I mean, go do that and then we have a lifetime you know thing with top Golf, so you know, you know, I think we go get our first round or something like that, you know, for.
Speaker 4: We're gonna start them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damn it, I'm coming to you. I'm the official Voka the Hall of Fame to y'all giving us all these perks. Yeah, have you been that one over there? Man? I haven't Okay, No, I ain't been over there by the airport or that area.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look like I'm like ten minutes from I haven't been there yet. Yeah. We got to name the game type. We got the tie Law game, the Peyton Pickoff game, that ty Law Rule game, or do you have any other suggestions for what the name of the game could be or you could pick one of these hmmm. I like, you know, Chris Berman coined something for me, man, and that and that's special to me because it was the great Chris Berman. You know, you would always do this talk about I fought the law and the Law won. You know, I didn't know what it was, like, Oh that's cool when I found out it was a damn song, you know if the law and you know, yeah, I mean it's cool. It ain't like my music, but hey, I like that, man. So I mean I thought the Law and the Law one. Yeah, so shout out shout out to Chris Burban man for man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's score the game. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score its stakes? Zero to ten decimals? O, K, what are the stakes?
Speaker 1: And this is we're talking about the MC Championship.
Speaker 2: You We've had Brandy Chestain to talk about a championship, World Cup game. You've had World Series, comebacks of Pro Bowl, a Pro Bowl stakes zero.
Speaker 1: So a super Bowl? Is this the greatest game of all time? I would think, you know, for me, I would say the second. I would say the second because the Super Bowl, you're the only game in town, and you know, being fortunate enough to be on the other side of a play that everyone's remember, I would got to say that because you got to close it out. There's one thing of getting there, but there's another thing of getting there and closing out. So I would say that was the second greatest uh you know game for me, star power wise zero to ten. You gotta score it. Oh you gotta score it. Oh score it. That's a that's a that's a ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah yeah, what's hell?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Star power? What do you mean by that? Give me a.
Speaker 4: Players players star power?
Speaker 1: You know, think about it. We had the two that's a ten too. Ever, that's the two greatest quarterbacks you know, of the time, and now one is the greatest ever and the other one you know, he's top five, you know, I mean, can't beat that. How many Hall of famers now including you know, like I said self, Seymour, Tom Brady, man Ship, Oh we got nine between those two teams. It's going to be about eight nine of us. So yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Gameplay, like, how was the gameplay of the game? You know what, back and forth, defensive battles.
Speaker 4: Those five field goals in the safety, you know.
Speaker 1: What as a defensive player, I would have to put that up and say that was I would say that was That's a hard nine. You know, that's a hard nine. That's a hard nine because you know, you want the game to come down to that. You know, with all this scoring and all this offense and all that, this is how the game is. You know, defense wins championships and that's why we got there. So I would say that's a hard nine because I don't I would say a teen. But you got to give you know, the other guys some credit, so you know, hard integrity right there. What's the name of the game? Score the name though, I fought the law and the law one game. Yeah, I like that one because that one in three picks, man, they fought me to score the name ten that I fought the law and the law one. That is, that's all I got a song, that's right, baby, Nine point seventy five. Let's see where it ranks in the games that we've done tied thus far. That is a very high you right, number two? Yeah. AFC Championship game superne Patriots versus Chiefs. So what they got us at? I can't see it? Where where we at? You're right, you're in between, yeah, and where else? Jackie.
Speaker 4: Game six to the twenty eleven NBA Finals, Maverick versus heat Mark Cuban came in and it was just kind of a little wild. So that one's high Mark.
Speaker 1: Cuban gave it all tens. I think, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's above the Giants and Patriots super Bowl eighteen to one game. It's above the Alcs, two thousand, Yankees, Red Sox. That's a that's our second overall.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm just saying, but you think about it, man, that that magital to that game, you know, and the star power I mean, just the anticipation, the weather. I mean, that was that was how football is posedbly Man, we're talking about it twenty years later, literally twenty years later, we're talking about it. Ty, we miss anything about this game? No we did. I think, uh, we got we we got everything covered right there. We get we get, we covered everything, you know what I mean? Because I was like, I can't get no, you can't get no better than that. And and just before we get off and go, I believe it is corvs. Yeah, yeah, you know, we don't. We don't ran the gauntlet. So we're gonna what y'all want, tropical pure grilled pineapple. I like the grind.
Speaker 3: I love the grilled pineapple.
Speaker 1: I feel like I taste the flame grilled. Yeah. Absolutely, Hey, he shout out to man that my guys up there one team grill man. Hey, hey, they huge support. Ryan Dion, Hey Cam Hey, y'all wouldn't be here without you man, so appreciate that legal seafoods there. Thank you, Ty.
Speaker 4: Awesome episode.
Speaker 1: This is amazing, awesome, Thank you Corvis Vodka.
Speaker 2: Let's go, oh thank you. Insane man tak got me hammered, gosh.
Speaker 3: Home this episode, thot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good though, I mean Corvs Vodka.
Speaker 3: Grill up that. Everybody's got a pineapple, everybody's got a citrus, No one's got a grilled.
Speaker 1: No one has a grilled pineapple. I tasted the grill marks. So you said that I was thinking it. Yeah, I tasted it. It's true. You can taste it.
Speaker 2: Little Smoke available online now at Corvis Vodka dot com. Go check it out, New England, Faithful Patch Nation, but everyone, everyone go check it out and.
Speaker 4: A portion of every sale goes to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Player Assistance Fun, which is cool.
Speaker 1: Great cause take care of the old guys guys that built this league. It built it. But man, what by brick?
Speaker 4: What are an apple? So that was fiftieth game?
Speaker 3: How apropos for our fiftieth That we we went wild apropos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, baby fifties instantly comes to your mind.
Speaker 3: Mike Rabel, Mike Redmankovich, Roman, zachar Oh Oh, David Robinson, the Admiral.
Speaker 1: Good fifties out there, some good fifties.
Speaker 3: Zach Randolph Zebo earlier on the Grizzlies, some.
Speaker 1: Guys who else there's like a there's another fifty out there.
Speaker 4: And also all you hotline callers. We uh, we were planning on doing it for this episode, but it went long, and you know, I'd rather have Tylot talk to Steve from Canton.
Speaker 1: So we'll bump in next and he's got some hot Steve is from Canton. He's definitely talking town Spa, some fucking bo pizza. I know it's in Stoton, Sam, but if you live in the line right next to Stoton, you go to goddamn town Spa.
Speaker 2: Well, what an interview. Thanks again to ty Law. That's been another episode. Games with Names tune in next week. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to podcasts. Come in a game you want us to do and remember, rate and review. Remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok and snap Chat, leave a message on the hotline at four two four two nine one two two nine zero.
Speaker 1: See you guys next week. Later games with names of production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.