Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host, Colleen Witt, and today we have very special guests, entrepreneur of Wang's in Things, a tray you Rothman is in the building. Here we go, There we go.
Speaker 2: I got it right right. We had to cut that last one.
Speaker 1: We had to cut. We had to get a tray. You Rothman is in the building. And just for just a little backstory before we get into the interview, guys, he's the owner of Wangs and Things in Venice Beach. This is one of my favorite go to spots. If you know me, you know that the weekends are solely dedicated to living like a four year old. But we got to add some adulting fun into it, so WANs and Things is a part of that. I come there very often. I have a punch guard, you know, and I bring a lot of people. I usually introduce somebody to the spot. Even though the guy that hands out the samples he does an amazing job at thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's awesome.
Speaker 3: He does a great job. And we don't even use the punch card anymore. We have we're all digital now, so you put you putting a number and it's like using the punch cards, so it keeps track of your orders.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and just so you guys know, my favorite thing to order is the well it's it's pretty much everything. The secret I think to what makes wings and things so special for all y'all wondering what kind of food it is, Like wings, it's potato, It's shrimp.
Speaker 2: Shrimp sha it pole Boys.
Speaker 3: I'm from the South, so a lot of the food is originated from the South, so the Pole Boys. There's a lot of vegans and vegetarians in this area, so we had to create some foods that cater to them, like the mushroom sandwich, califlower sandwich.
Speaker 2: You haven't seen that yet.
Speaker 1: I feel like I need to do a review of all the different I stick to what I know, like the potato. You know what it is. It's whatever he hands out in the samples. Yes, that's what I get.
Speaker 2: Okay, So maybe.
Speaker 1: I need to explore outside there it is there.
Speaker 3: It is people when they typically see this, get the samples outside. That's what they want. Oh, let me get what I had out there. But when you get to then when you get to the front of our establishment, you know, our whole menu is out in the front.
Speaker 2: So there's so many other options for people to choose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I see them too. I don't know why that so. So just so you guys know, what makes I think makes it special is the sauce is finger looking good? And then I have never met someone that has mastered frying as well as you.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, because that's big. I think that I haven't.
Speaker 3: Been doing this for two years now. Really keep in mind that they never really cooked ever, so not at all.
Speaker 1: I think the way he fries is simply fantastic. I think about it sometimes I'm like, damn, how does he master it so well? I don't know if you've timed it how you got it to weigh three? Interesting?
Speaker 3: My friars stay at three for all of my foods, and when I see it has that right Chris, That just it's side of there.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, yeah, all right, So just and I wanted you guys just to hear from me, you know what it is I like about the restaurant. But I was very excited when Atrey you hit me up in the DMS because we had talked. I said, man, you know, should come on the show. And the follow up game was real and yes, I'm very excited to have you and know your backstory. Did not know two years. But we're about to get into it. But before we get into your story, I need to know what you are going to have me eating today as your broke dish.
Speaker 2: M okay, my broke dish.
Speaker 3: When she was like, what did you eat while you were broke, had to think of the time when I was broke and on the struggle and I was in jail, you know, and when you're in jail, you don't have too many options when it comes to food, you know. You know, I was eating typically what they what they served at lunch, you know. But then when you get that commentsary list and you get to pick out what you want. I never dabbled with rice paper.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what is up with this? You know, so you know you're in jail, you have a lot of time, so let's figure this out.
Speaker 3: So I came up with this rice paper startine veggie roll.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I made it for myself. First, people walk by, what are you making?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 3: Sit down, see if you like it. And then it turned into a every Thursday a tray. You's making the rice paper meal.
Speaker 1: Oh so did you start to like cooking when you were in jail, well, being creative.
Speaker 3: Well, I've always been into, you know, just putting a meal together, typically for myself or my guest. You know, being in you know, being locked away, you know, it only heightens, you know, your creativeness, especially when you're so limited to Hey, what can I put together? I would make my meals for myself and when you know, friends walked by, what are you making? I don't even know. I'm just putting it together, you know. That was really my answer. But it tasted very good, you know. So it turned out with me to a whole group of ten people every Thursday. You know, they would all bring their own ingredients.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, and it was.
Speaker 3: Like a like a little potluck, you know for the sardines and veggie roll.
Speaker 1: Now, when people think of jail, I e me, guys, I'm sorry, I'm not. I've only been to jail for like twenty four hours, so my experience is very limited. But you don't think of jail as a place where you can like pick rice paper as well.
Speaker 3: I was at a camp. I was at a camp. A camp is where they typically send like if the.
Speaker 2: Mayor goes to jail.
Speaker 1: Oh, is it like like a yeah, the FED, that's like the nice jail, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had pool tables there. I learned how to shoot pul Oh. I'm a pull shark now, you know, because where you have nothing but time, you know, hey, let me perfect this, you know. So it was a place where, you know, it was kind of like bunk style, you know, open area. If you cause any type of ruckus in there, they'll send you to a different level to where you won't have as much leniency. You know, there was there was it like you could walk off and leave the whole facility. It wasn't it wasn't gated. So at a camp like literally you have they call them walk offs, you know, and they they broadcast them on the news at night. Hey, this inmate has walked off, you know, like yeah, you know it's but you don't want to mess up here because if you go there, then you're typically you only have at least like three five to five years and under left on your sentence. So some people were there for twenty years and then they're praying that they could get to a camp, because you get to a camp, it's just you know, an easy, easy glide through for the rest of your sentence.
Speaker 1: So and I'd imagine it's a good semi transition back to life.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, absolutely, because you have opportunities to have a job outside of jail, you know, so like you.
Speaker 1: Can go and then come back and you just sleep there and.
Speaker 3: If you go come back, get a furlough and you know, go see your family, that type of thing. I was sentenced to a year and a half. Excuse me, a year and a day.
Speaker 2: A year and a day.
Speaker 1: Did it feel like a year and a day?
Speaker 3: It felt like a year and a day because when when they sentenced you to a year and a day, You're you're supposed to go home in like six months. But when the six month hit, I was supposed to go and go to my father's for the rest of my term in Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then when they called me in for that six that six month hit, they called me into the office and said that my dad denied me from going out there. Then it felt like a year and a day because I had to stay the whole year and a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, that year in a day was an actual year in a day.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, and now I'm just curious.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I got denied no, what what did you do? What I do? You know?
Speaker 3: So I used to model back in the day, like in my twenties, you know. And this was all in my twenties, you know. And I had this gig in New York and it was the next day gig. And I had a friend that was always flying this guy everywhere.
Speaker 2: I'm on playing them all bro like I need to fly to New York tomorrow for this gig. And he connects me with this.
Speaker 3: Guy and he books me on a flight first class all the way to New York next day.
Speaker 2: Like literally, I was clutch. It was super clutch. It was. It was so clutch.
Speaker 3: When I got back, I was like, hey, like give me, like is it okay? If I use him? Like can I call him for you know, my next flight? And my friends like to fly to you know. So I turned into like a travel agent, you know, because I would let my friends know, hey, if you want to fly, And his price was amazing. It was like to me, it was like one hundred dollars round trip.
Speaker 2: For it was right. So so I was charging people.
Speaker 3: I would look up their flight information and be like, oh, your flight is five hundred Okay, it's gonna be two fifty for you whatever, it's gonna be half, you know.
Speaker 1: And where was I was?
Speaker 3: I was you could call me green, right, because I'm just thinking this guy is just booking, because he would just send me the flight information.
Speaker 2: I send it to my people and they go on their way.
Speaker 1: Only only a little bit.
Speaker 3: I was at my top until until right one of my friends called me booked them a flight and he's like, hey, they said the credit card didn't go through with this flight. And I'm like, hold on, let me call this guy and tell them, Hey, what's happening.
Speaker 2: I called him.
Speaker 3: I'm like, hey, my friend is stuck at the airport. They said the credit card didn't go through. He's I don't worry, I'll rebook him. Rebooked them, and he was on the next flight out right. But at that point, I'm like, Okay, this guy is using credit cards to book people on flights, you know. And I knew at that point this this is like three months into I'm so.
Speaker 1: Dumb because it took me a minute to catch up. Yeah, so basically he was paying for.
Speaker 3: He was paying for the flight, but with other people's credit cards. Yes, So I figured this out, and I remember It's funny how God works really in your life and he gives you your decisions and you got to make him. Right then, i was sitting on the curb outside and I'm like, wow, okay, so he's using people's credit cards to book people's flights. I'm like something like this. I feel like I could get like five years for doing something like this. Like this was a thought in my head right and I'm like, I have my decision to stop right then, or you know, keep going and taking mind like I'm modeling at this time, like I'm in front of people's.
Speaker 2: Faces, I'm behind it can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was booking modeling gigs, but those gigs were just paying my cell phone bill, you know what I'm saying. But I'm a flight I'm a flight agent right now. Like I'm like I'm getting I mean hints. Like as soon as I was like five years for something like this, I got a text message from one of my people that wanted to fly.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this is the test. This is the test.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at like three hundred dollars right here or just completely stop. And I was like I'm taking this three hundred, you know, And I kept going and I did it for like two more years. I'm telling you, like that.
Speaker 2: Where was where was the look that they were hitting me? And I'm like, look, I got you.
Speaker 3: I'm hitting up this other guy because I'm not really I'm not booking, I'm never I'm never touching anything.
Speaker 1: You're like a degree away from separation. Yes, I'm just curious how your brain just magically thought like, hey, I could get five years. Well did you google?
Speaker 2: Well? No, it was just a feeling. It was just a feeling.
Speaker 3: And then let's let's just fast forward to the Feds coming to my place of residence and I wasn't there, and one of my friends was like, Hey, some people from the post Office are here to see you. And I'm like, put them on the phone, because I know I have no business with the post office. And that guy gets on the phone. He's like, yeah, we're here with the post Office. Want to talk about a package that you I'm like, look, let's just let's just cut it, Like, tell me exactly what you're here for. I'm on the phone with them, you know, they're like, well, we're here for some flights that you've been you know, booking people and things like that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm like, my heart, my heart sunk.
Speaker 3: I'm with my girlfriend at the time, and I do one of those sit ups in the bed.
Speaker 2: Like she's like, what's wrong. I'm like, oh my god, it's.
Speaker 3: Happening, right. But what was happening was something that I knew two years ago. When I told you I was sitting at the I'm like, Okay, this is supposed to be happening.
Speaker 2: You know. I was on the run for like two days, and then yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I was getting as much information as I could about the situation from.
Speaker 2: Office. Look, no, I was not calling that nigga.
Speaker 3: He was the last person I wanted to talk to because I'm like they listening to his phone calls.
Speaker 2: I was listen this guy.
Speaker 1: I'm so bad because I would have been.
Speaker 3: Calling him like you you would you you would think that, but at the time, you're like, he's the person that's doing the bookies and stuff, like they're already like super on him, so don't even want to contact him, right, But however, there were he was, as I guess, I was like a pawn in a sense because he had like thirty other people that were sending him flights and stuff. So I got word that those other you know ten people that were in LA you know, they got out as soon as they turned their self in, that type of thing.
Speaker 2: So I turned myself in.
Speaker 3: I was on pre trial for a year, for about a year, you know, basically just going through the whole process. Yeah, I turned myself in, like hey, I'm who you're looking for, you know.
Speaker 2: And it was a little process.
Speaker 3: I think I did like one day in jail and then they just released me because I was on pre trial release. Pre trial is where you go through the whole process until you're sentenced.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I didn't have anything else on my record. It's my very first thing. So they let me out on pre trial. And at that time, I got busy on my modeling situation, you know, because I'm like, okay, no more flight man, like.
Speaker 2: Me, let me get out there and let me. Let me go back to it.
Speaker 3: And you know what, when I when I did go back to it, I booked like one of the biggest gigs that I've ever done in my life. I did a video called super Base with Nicki Minaj and I was the main guy. Yeah, I was the main guy on that video that they was throwing like the stuff in the pool. It was, Yeah, it was, it was. It was a fun experience, you know. But I was doing what I should have already been doing all these years ago, you know. And but everything does happen for a reason, because you know, when I when I ended up getting sentenced to the camp, you know, I'm now in a facility with people that have been locked up for years, people that have been business owners that have made millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, because the FED prison, I would feel like it's almost like the how do I word this without was making it glorified? But like you have people was some astounding.
Speaker 3: Oh amazing, Like I was literally playing cards with a millionaire billionaires, you know what I'm saying. Like these guys, you know, obviously money doesn't matter right now, but they're just them, you know. And I knew when I when I was to get out that I didn't want to model anymore. I wanted to be an entrepreneur, Like I wanted to do something that was going to bring in that bread, you know, and to where I could live the life that I was faking when I was modeling, you know what I'm saying. So you know, when I when I got released. It was just I knew I wasn't gonna, you know, get into anything that was going to put me back in jail, of course.
Speaker 2: You know, and.
Speaker 3: You know it was it was definitely a journey because I was in my thirties, you know, and I was told by somebody, you know, when you hit your thirties as a man, you know you're going to be faced with either looking real forward, going forward, or stepping back and acting like you're in your twenties and not really you know.
Speaker 2: Grow you know.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that. I never heard that.
Speaker 2: I was told that by somebody. You know.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because I do think that people either go with and I'm guessing it's either you break out of your comfort zone in your thirties you say okay, that's it, or you backside and say you don't want this is where I'm comfortable at and that would be when you go.
Speaker 2: Back to I guess playing exactly exactly. And I was a father. I had two kids at the tenn before or after after.
Speaker 3: Well before I had a daughter before I got locked up. I was twenty one when I had my first child.
Speaker 2: But I'm more.
Speaker 3: Of a father now because when I got out, I had another child. So now it's like I'm thirty thirty one, Like, okay, I have a family now, you know, are you and.
Speaker 1: The child's moms together? Is it two different or one? Look, I'm all of them?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you in it. This I'm mad is the part.
Speaker 3: I'm mad because okay, baby mama's no I got I have five, five baby mothers.
Speaker 1: You're hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do six, six kids, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you got just still got to.
Speaker 2: I didn't want my kids all looking the same, you know.
Speaker 1: That's what We're gonna cut all that out out.
Speaker 2: I'm joking.
Speaker 3: No, I'm a I'm a sucker for love, you know, like each each each.
Speaker 2: One of my kids.
Speaker 3: Like I really thought like I was gonna be with her for the rest of my life, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So we have a baby. We having a baby like.
Speaker 1: The gym class he wrote song where he was like this is the one or something. But all right, all right, before we get into all that, let's get you started on the meal because I am hungry. Okay, So go ahead and name the ingredients of your dish.
Speaker 2: You ready for this jail house meal?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm hungry.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we have a rice paper in case you're not familiar with rice paper. This is a nce paper right.
Speaker 3: Here, and we can already just and this has water, yes, so we could already just toss that in the water right there. And this is a very simple meal, quick, very tasteful as well too.
Speaker 2: Let's see this pilot. We're gonna turn this on and.
Speaker 3: Open up these sardines, right they don't need to be special.
Speaker 1: Just so some of them are in water and some are in oil, just so you know, okay, and then you brought your special sauce, so we will be eating very very good today. So I love it when someone brings out a dish that we've never had on the show. But I also love it when it's really affordable, and your dish is, guys, it's very affordable.
Speaker 3: And it's impressive too, especially when you get the rolling aspect going on, because you know, you could be on a date.
Speaker 2: And just you're hilarious.
Speaker 3: I'm serious, baby, number seven point, you're hilarious, and you.
Speaker 2: Know it's a fun thing that you could both do together.
Speaker 1: You know, when you were at the camp is, do you feel like at the camp is where you kind of really started to get into entrepreneurship because of the people you were around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was learning a lot from them because a lot of them had you know, different businesses, you know, and when they leave, you know, from the camp, there're still millionaires, you know, just because they're in the phase of me, and they took all their money, you know. So it was very inspiring. I was in a situation where you know, it's either you you grow or you don't. You know, It's like, why are these people in my life right now? That's how I look at life. You know. We had a I was in a program when I was there where you know, once you complete the program, you know, you get achievements and things like that. And we were all asked a question like in a big circle, like where are you going to take from this aspect of your life?
Speaker 2: And one gentleman in the circle.
Speaker 3: He's like, he was like, oh, this part of my life never happened, Like God, I'm just going to delete this part of my life out.
Speaker 2: And I get that. You know, the average person is gonna, you know, feel that way. Jail Hell.
Speaker 1: I got to remember he probably was experiencing an amazing life before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was he was done with it. But I'm listening to him, and I'm like, there's zero way how I could take this away from my life.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I I have kids, you know, I have to teach them about, you know, the rights and wrongs and repercussions, you know, and like, this is definitely an experience that I'll speak of proudly, you know, not that it happened, but you know, I'm able to talk about something that, you know, that could potentially.
Speaker 2: Happen to you.
Speaker 3: You know, you never know in life, you know, and the positives that came from it. Because if it wasn't for that, I don't think I would have been as ambitious to thrive to you know, want to have my own business as much.
Speaker 2: You know. But yeah, now.
Speaker 1: You said that in this year you were going to do six months. Yeah it smells like Seraine, does the fire need to be turned up? It's very low, all right, And you gotta name your you gotta name your seasonings.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this seasoning right here is slap your mama. Yeah, slap your mama.
Speaker 3: I'm all about like some Cajun stuff growing from Mississippi, New Orleans, you know, like it's got to have that kick.
Speaker 2: If it doesn't have that kick, it's like why we eating this? You know? So the slap your mama is awesome, and some.
Speaker 3: Garlic herb from dads, right so, and plus the the sardines already has some flavor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, already the flavor in it too, so you don't need too much.
Speaker 3: And we're just gonna let this heat up and cook for about seven minutes and we're going to come back to that because the rest. As a matter of fact, like we can already start with this right.
Speaker 1: Now. Do you think that you would have walked away with so much impact had your dad not turned you down for the for the six months, Like, do you think you would have? Because if I'm staying somewhere short term, I'm thinking, man, I just want to do my time to get out. But do you think that the extension made you really look at things a little differently?
Speaker 3: Well, it absolutely did, you know, because my dad's situation was kind of a support situation. You know, I had plans on going out there and helping my father as much as I could because he was getting older and he was working just as much as he's always have. He's always been an entrepreneur, hisself always would say I'm self sufficient and independent.
Speaker 2: That was his thing. You know.
Speaker 3: He worked in New Orleans at the French Quarters, and I wanted to go out there and help him and so where he didn't have to, you know, work too hard, you know. But being that the turn was, you know, I didn't go out there, and it's like, okay, it's just me, Like this venture in life is just.
Speaker 2: Me right now?
Speaker 1: Were you mad at him when he did that?
Speaker 3: Initially till I figured out why he did it. And it was my sister that told him to say no because she felt like he would be enabling me, and because he was ready, like, son, you come in, we're about to be about to and all of a sudden it's like no, you know, and my sister enabled to.
Speaker 2: Well, my sister told him to say no. And that was a situation that you know, I'm like.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was mad at I was mad at the sister because literally, like two years later, my dad ended up in the hospice, the hospice, I'm like, what is he in the hospice for?
Speaker 2: Sister?
Speaker 3: Well, he had cancer and he told me not to say anything about it.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, because.
Speaker 3: I could have been out there with him all these years, you know, while he had cancer and helping him even fight the cancer.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So you know that's a whole ya know, whole nother thing too. But everything does happen for a reason. Because my dad in the hospice, I went to go see him broken all. I had my probation officer that I had at the time, I only had like three hundred dollars in my pocket.
Speaker 2: And I wasn't supposed to leave.
Speaker 3: Without permission, and I wasn't about to ask for permission because my dad's in the hospice.
Speaker 2: I just got my flight.
Speaker 3: And went out to Mississippi and stay with my dad, you know, throughout the whole duration until he passed away.
Speaker 2: Which was probably like a week or so. But it was the best.
Speaker 3: It was the best time I ever spent with my dad, you know, like, and I've had some great moments with him, but in passing, like, oh my god, like it was we had a ball, you know, so and yeah, my daddy, I love you, daddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so now that let's go back to Okay, you're in jail, you're hooking up millionaires with meals. But the good thing is I'm guessing at these potlucks, they're bringing you some different things to to test your skill set. Are any of these guys saying, man, your food so good? Man, you should you could cheorge for this.
Speaker 2: I mean a jail. They try to big you up on everything that you do, like, oh, man, you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Do this good when you get out, Like yeah, yeah, you know, we all try to pick each other up. But I guess this was just one of those dishes where it was like when I left, they were like, man, like.
Speaker 2: We shure gonna miss that. That that those roles that you was making.
Speaker 1: You got me hungry, by the way, guys, in the roles, there's the rice paper, the onions, the peppers, pasta and sardines and seasoning. So because I know he didn't get a chance because I got right into his.
Speaker 2: Story, So let's let's get this on your on your tray.
Speaker 3: A matter of fact, we're gonna toss this one right here because we got into a conversation.
Speaker 2: It sat so long you can put it right there and start a new one.
Speaker 1: So I googled this. It's supposed to be in water for like ten seconds.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I want you to do what I'm doing because this is gonna be mine and then.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm touching too, sorry, Oh mine is a little rippy. It's okay, whatever, I had two?
Speaker 2: That was two on there. Okay, cool?
Speaker 1: All right, So we do we wet the whole paper?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you at the whole paper.
Speaker 1: We're gonna need some more water. Does it have to be warm water?
Speaker 3: Warm water is preferred because it activates a lot faster. But as long as it's wet, we should be.
Speaker 1: Okay. I licked the rice paper just so you guys know it's a little salte. Okay, So back to your story before we try this. What happens after you get out of the camp and kind of start leading me in the direction of wings?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: So so when I got out, still feed me. I started working with my uncle.
Speaker 2: My uncle had this invention called easy out weave, and just you're going to take some bunch, but enough to.
Speaker 1: Got some noodles on the paper.
Speaker 3: On the paper you want to get your These are bell peppers, raw onions, raw bell peppers. And you know this is really just for the I mean the taste, of course, but I picked the different colors because you know, you want your.
Speaker 1: Food spoken like a true shift. Okay, so I got the red and green peppers. I'm not I'm a huge fan of onions, so I'm so thankful that I cut these paper thin because if you're anything like me, you know, just in case someone tries to set you up with a raw onion, you gotta go think.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna hook you up, hook you up with a bunch of meat, all right, dam.
Speaker 1: Want to.
Speaker 2: I want to keep talking to you right now. But it's a level of concentration.
Speaker 3: I'm hungry, and so we are gonna use some everything sauce.
Speaker 2: Everything sauce, right. This sauce is a honey, garlic, buffalo and barbecue mix. Right.
Speaker 3: It's one of our most popular flavors that we have at Wings and things. And you're gonna put that on there.
Speaker 2: Okay. This is where it gets a little fun, right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, So you're just gonna lift up the side, well, I usually use that for the dipping aspect. So you want to fold it over the corners each corner.
Speaker 2: Did you get the fold?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: This is easy to do, guys.
Speaker 2: It's not it's not.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, it's looking like.
Speaker 3: A little bit yeah, yes, it does, and then you just roll. It's kind of a roll. Once you get the fold, then you just start rolling.
Speaker 1: Okay, just so you know, mine was falling apart from jump.
Speaker 2: It's all good.
Speaker 3: So if you if you overlap the the rice paper on top of the rice paper, I.
Speaker 2: Only have one just you know, it's been a while since I've been in jail, you know. But we're going to do another one. But let's get the taste.
Speaker 1: Do you want to put sauce in this part?
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to.
Speaker 1: I want to. I want to master this. I'm never I I thought when rice paper, I thought it's refrigerated, but apparently it's not frigerated. Okay, so I'm gonna put it. Oh I don't think this is melted enough. All right, I'm just gonna scoop it and eat it.
Speaker 2: Oh you're putting it. You're using another rice paper on that.
Speaker 1: I was, but it's like not rice paper.
Speaker 2: Yes, in like fifteen seconds, it will be that way. But however, you.
Speaker 3: Want to get your other your role out of the way of that rice paper because it'll stick to it.
Speaker 1: And then oh, okay, let me just try I'm gonna try it.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: Mmmm, No, I ain't gonna lie. This is a hit.
Speaker 2: And it's simple, right, No, who's that money? It's simple. Your role looks so much better than mine. You've been here before. M hmm mm hmm.
Speaker 1: The other parts fell apart. Yo, I ain't gonna lie. I know they was happy in jail. I ain't had sardines in so long.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 1: This is great and it's a healthy and that everything that everything sauces.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm brings it to another level. M So, wings and things. Wings and things didn't start until two years ago.
Speaker 1: I just want to talk about this, Okay, for all y'all listeners, simple ingredients, rice, paper, bell peppers, onions, everything sauce is necessary, pasta sardine. I have to address the fact that all these textures with the flavor is what makes it. I'm not a fan of raw onions, but the raw onion crisp really adds. The bell pepper crisp adds the soft noodles. The sardines are phenomenal. This is one hundred ten out of ten on this show. Okay, I will go home and eat this and people will probably be like, hey.
Speaker 2: I don't I'm listen to your episodes and see how many you give me?
Speaker 1: I don't, I don't, I don't. There are people that failed raw man on this show.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I've seen a couple of struggle man, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Make another one. Is this ready?
Speaker 2: It's over?
Speaker 3: It's literally it's over ready like the rice paper, now that I remember, like, you gotta be quick with the rice paper, you know, especially when we're you're using warm water before.
Speaker 1: You get into wings and things. I mean, I need to do another one. Look how easy this is, guys. You put the little pasta on. This is delicious. I'm gonna have Katie try one of these. You're gonna ever have your kids try one? This is really good. Okay, I got some red peppers. I'm gonna put my little onions. I'm excited about this.
Speaker 2: All right. My next one's gonna be perfect, I promise, all right.
Speaker 1: I got my rice paper, all right? What am I missing? These are so good? Okay? Oh I gotta finished roll of mine, all right? Catch up to you, all right? I so want to master this rice paper so bad? Yours better? This better? Oh wait? I forgot that everything sauce.
Speaker 2: Throw the whole thing anyway, No, I didn't put.
Speaker 1: It in yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're in time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't hate. Don't hate, guys, Just so you know, this sauce is everything. So if you haven't had it in person at Wings and things, you did, tell me you you are gonna have it where people can.
Speaker 3: Order it online online twenty twenty twenty six January.
Speaker 2: We're planning on being in stores and ordering online. So that's the goal right now.
Speaker 3: And it's amazing because that's the sauce I actually made on accident. We call it Everything Sauce because I took all of my sauces that I had and I poured them all together. And one of the key ingredients in that Everything sauce is ranch. You did perfect on that that crunch, that crunch. The mic had to pick that up real good.
Speaker 1: Let me just tell you, guys, I love them all right. Don't be telling all your sauce secrets, but just know out there, guys, it is one of a kind, delicious, finger licking good. My daughter loves it and she's for it, and I love it.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: My pop subs it. My friends love it.
Speaker 3: I can tell you the ingredients, but you'll never be able to remake it because there's.
Speaker 1: Levels level to the game. Absolutely, But before you get into how to, what's in the sauce? Tell me you get out of camp, start marching me towards wings and things.
Speaker 3: And so let's let's fast forward to going through a couple of businesses that that I ended up starting, and each one was very financially satisfying, right. I had a T shirt business that I started with my son's mother, and when we broke up, the company kind of fell apart. My other business venture was I got into cannabis. And I was totally against cannabis for my whole life until I sold a pound to somebody and they came back like two days later wanning another pound. I'm like, okay, that was like such a quick turnaround, and it was legal, and I'm like, okay, Like, let me get into the cannabis world. So I was in the cannabis world for about three years.
Speaker 2: And when the.
Speaker 3: Cannabis world kind of went down a little bit profit wise, probably.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, right after COVID, it was high. During Oh, it was like COVID was the best ever.
Speaker 1: Make it a lot of money.
Speaker 3: I was always into cars, so I had an opportunity to purchase a body shop and I did so, and with that company, it gave me a lot of free time, you know, much much like the cannabis world did as well too, And I enjoyed my free time that I had.
Speaker 1: Where did you get the money to buy cannabis? So the cannabis allowed you to buy a body shop cannabis, and the body shop because you weren't actually doing the work, you had more time because it was more profitable.
Speaker 3: It was what I say, more profitable, It was kind of the same. It was the same as with the cannabis. So it replaced the cannabis, but more time because you know, you a car, like I don't have to be in front of the car every day, you know, and it's just being worked on.
Speaker 2: So what else am I going to do? You know?
Speaker 3: So it gave me that free time and I loved my freedom that I had.
Speaker 1: So why did you not keep both going at the same time?
Speaker 3: Because the cannabis, well, the cannabis was down and I wasn't into the race of where everybody else trying to figure it out? Now, I just find something else to do, you know.
Speaker 1: So, so you know, pivoting to be able to master the pivot as an entrepreneur, is a huge thing because sometimes entrepreneurs they spend too much time on a business trying to rework it, reroute it versus just pivoting, especially when an industry switching hands. Like if you go from I don't know if you guys remember when print versus digital, right, some people will be like, I'm going to stay with me print, and it's like, no, at some point you have to recognize that there's a Blockbuster, red Box, Netflix. You know, at some point you have to be able to pivot fast. So that pivoting right there is just a skill by itself.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: And I think it's more so me keeping my eyes open for knowing that this is going to die, so what's next, you know, and being that I was comfortable with cars already. I was always into cars. It was a fun thing for me as well too. Now having my body shop, I think it was like two years two years into it. I've never thought of having a restaurant ever, you know, Like the most I've cooked was, you know, when I was in jail, Thank you, thank you. And the body shop situation, excuse me. The wings and things came about when I was at the beach like you one day, just kicking it, you know. And the location where we're at now used to be called hot Dog Supreme, all right, and it was the only place in the area where they had burgers at the time, you know. So I walk up to the window and nobody's in the front to serve me or anything, you know. And then this little white kid comes rolling up on a skateboard. Hey, I'll be there to serve you in a second, like behind me. He's outside of the establishment. I'm like, all right, Joey, it's all up in there, you know.
Speaker 2: So he's up in.
Speaker 3: There, and now you know, I got he took my order, and I'm just looking in like seeing what's happening up in there, you know. And I'm wondering how much is he paying for rent here? Because I literally see fifty one hundred people just walk by every second, you know. It's right there on the boardwalk, you know, and I'm the only person in line right here. I'm like, this is They looks like they have good food, but why aren't people over here in line? Everybody's hungry, you know. So I asked him how much rent was, and he told me that the owner was looking to sell his location, and I was like, okay, let me get his information, you know.
Speaker 2: So he gave me his information.
Speaker 3: At the time, I was on a vacation with my wife, and when I got back from the vacation, the guy called me, like.
Speaker 1: Business.
Speaker 3: We exchanged information like before. Then I kind of forgot about it a little bit, you know. But when he called me when I got back from vacation, I'm okay, this must be a sign. And this was like December twenty second, yeah, right, twenty twenty three, I think. And I linked up with him at his other location because he had like four other locations. It was just that Venice location. Yeah, yeah, he had like four other stores, four of the restaurants. I met him at one of his other restaurants and it was booming when I went there.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wow, all these people like he.
Speaker 3: Was really playing close attention to his other establishments, but the Venice one he kind of just wasn't ever there, didn't really care too much, you know, because you're at the Venice ocase. You got to have a game plan for this situation, you know. So the landlord linked up with us at his location and he was happy to get rid of him. Honestly, because he felt like his location could have done a lot better, you know. And I told this guy because he's like, how long have you been in the restaurant business?
Speaker 2: So I'm like never, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I'm like, but look, I'll tell you this what I'm serious about doing something like.
Speaker 2: Like you said, like you got to know the pivot. You know.
Speaker 3: I knew I could make food that people would like to eat, you know. Me and my lady, like we were like people like Wang's, you know, so wings, Wangs and other things.
Speaker 2: So we were like had the name of it, WANs and things. And I told the guy, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Give me the opportunity, like because I'm ready to go in because I want to feed all of these people that are walking down the sport walk, you know. Come to find out, we ended up being the first black restaurant on the whole strip ever on Venice Beach. Didn't even know that I figured there was.
Speaker 1: That was one of the things that they had said to me when I first tried it was like or I think maybe I asked, is it black owned?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we were the first ones first restaurant.
Speaker 1: In all of Venice, in all of.
Speaker 3: Venice and we brought a flavor that was just different. Like I said, I'm from the South, so I'm used to seasonings. And you know, when you go on the boardwalk, you just kind of get like your generics.
Speaker 1: You're like, yeah, your hot dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you're at the beach, so you just get those beach like little little things, you know. But we kind of stand out because of our food quality, the look of our food, and even like our staff.
Speaker 2: You know, our staff has.
Speaker 3: Like a Southern charm to us all, you know, to where we greet you and it's like, hey, why your food.
Speaker 2: Is being made? Like we're gonna you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Listen to this music that we had playing outside and it's gonna be a vibe for you.
Speaker 1: Now, you guys, isn't there a TV out?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, No, we have the TV out there when we do like certain events or games or that type of thing like that, you know, because we we had to do something that was going to captivate that audience that's walking down that boardwalk.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That's why we do the samples.
Speaker 1: It's brilliant because honestly, without the samples, I don't know if the business would have.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't let me tell you. Our first month, We're sitting with our full menu out there ready to cook, and I'm just watching people just walk by, you know, and I was like, no, ain't no way, they're about to walk by and I try this good ass food that we have up in here. So I made a sample tray and walked out there, and then before I knew it, like probably every other person that I let try the sample, they were walking to our window. And so since then, since month one, that's been a standard for our company to continuously bring samples out there. Most people think about their loss that they would make by giving away so much food, you know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and he'd be putting shrimps out.
Speaker 2: There, you know, a little little piece, maybe.
Speaker 1: Putting the whole pieces. But I really like the guy that hands out the samples because I feel like just having that even that personality of like talking to the people, making jokes whatever.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, he does a great job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta have that, you know, because most people are scared to talk to other people, you know, But if you have the personality and the food should one hundred percent speak for yourself. And I tell people that myself. I'm like I don't want to sell myself, Like I'll be out I'll be out there having them, they be having a good time, we'd be laughing, and so I'm like, look, I'm not here to sell you. Like the food that you just tasted, Like, does it make you want to buy it? You know, because if I try something and I don't like it, I'm not about.
Speaker 2: To Well, no, the nice day, yes, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So, and I like that. It's like you combine like sweet and salty. So it's really hard to pass up because you know, on any given day you're going for a vibe. Ya was the savory versus.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, you get all the options there, you know, and we're really happy and honor to be there at that location. And we just got a food trailer as well too, so we're able to pull up here. You know what I'm saying to Eaven while broke. You know what I'm saying, We could feed the whole crew.
Speaker 2: You know, I was I was.
Speaker 1: Going to ask them guys to bring in some wings and things, but I was like, don't be that person, don't be that verse, and you know, you got to save another episode after this.
Speaker 2: I would have been an honor too, but you know it's a cross.
Speaker 1: No, I'm going to come out there. I'm gonna do my little bike. You already know my little bike, my little four year old. That's what we do.
Speaker 2: Bring her through, you know.
Speaker 1: And I like that. It feels like a family business because sometimes you see your kids there and I like that.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 1: I think it's very good for kids to be exposed to parents working and you know that whole thing. And I see them sometimes like actually do jobs in there.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, my daughter's journey, she's three years old. Every time I leave out the house, can I come to work with you, dad, I'm like, no, not today, Not because I knew I needed I needed her to be at an age where you know, she could at least greet the people like and this. She knows that's her job. And it's funny. This past Saturday, she asked me, and she asked me. The way how she asked me was so clear. She was like, can I come to work.
Speaker 2: With you today? I'm like, shit, I think she's DD.
Speaker 3: So she came and I told her her only job is when customers come up, is to say welcome to ways and things, with a smile, and she was practicing at the house before she left.
Speaker 2: She's like, welcome to ways and things.
Speaker 3: I would have smiled when we got there her first like five minutes, she was a little shy. But the second she did say it, and she saw the reaction from the customer, Oh my god. Oh I could get her to stop. She was saying welcome to ways and things for people that wasn't even walking by or.
Speaker 2: Established welcome to ways and things.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yes, you know, but she she's understanding, Like my son artists, he's just turned seven. Like if you come to the window with him, he's literally going to take your whole order. A seven year old, like you know, cash a card, you know, like and we got this, you want to try this?
Speaker 2: Like I'm like, yes, that's beautiful. You know.
Speaker 3: I have a feeling, like, you know, when when I'm no longer here, that I've left a imprint on them where it's like they like they know they want to be like you ask him, he's the boss, you know. I tell him he's the boss, you know, And he tells people that, hey, if you mess up, you're gonna get canned. Just clowning around. But you know, it's our candor that we have in there.
Speaker 1: You know, what are some of the I'd say lessons learned. Tough lessons learned in doing wings and things.
Speaker 2: Oh so.
Speaker 1: Owning a restaurant, by the way, that's like the one of the toughest.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I told you I like my freedom. Yeah, like my other jobs like gave me a lot of freedom. Having a restaurant is people have to eat every single day, you know, not everybody has to get their car worked on every single day. So it's it's the hardest job that I've ever had, but it's the most rewarding job that I've ever had. Like there's nothing more like seeing people eat my food for the first time and say, shit, like this is the best stuff I've ever had. You know, at first I thought they was just like lying to me, but there was a consistence, Like with people trying our shrimp, trying out everything sauce on our wings, They're like, I've never tasting anything like this before. To be able to feed people is a great feeling. Every third Saturday of the month, we work with the nonprofit called the Trusted Angels and they come out and we feed anywhere between fifty to one hundred homeless. So they come hand out our wings and things, the cards, and we have a certain time where everybody comes three four o'clock, whatever time we decide, and they line up and we hand out the meals to them, and it's just such a great it's such a great feeling. And once again, like people like, how can you afford to feed these because I'm not working with anybody that's given me assistance, you know, I know that if in life, and this is a message for everybody, you know, if you're doing something that you truly enjoy doing from your heart, like God makes the way for you, you know, like he put me in the position or you know, if I buy two extra boxes of chicken for this Saturday and it's going to feed these fifty people, I don't have to think about the money that I have to spend for that because it's already there, you know. So God makes the way, you know, and hopefully we could continue.
Speaker 1: That's a big deal too. And I think also if you're in the position of being like I like to say, these financial situations hopefully are temporary. But I think it's nice that they get a really nice meal, like to be able to eat WANs and.
Speaker 2: Things is yeah, you know, yeah, yeah, and it's great.
Speaker 3: It's great being able to serve them something instead of hey, take these noodles.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Yeah, So to give them something.
Speaker 1: Where it's like tastes good and they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they feeling, they feeling on top of the world for these you know what I'm saying, next twenty minutes like cool, you know so, but yeah, it's definitely, like I said, the most rewarding business that I've had, Like I still have my body shop. Yeah, but I'm never there, you know, Like I'm never because I don't want to be there.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like do you think it's good as an entrepreneur to have dual incomes.
Speaker 3: Multiple yes, Like you use use your talents, you know, Like people have so many talents that they haven't even tapped into themselves yet with because they're so comfortable with, you know, just staying in this one position or working this nine to five. You know, it's like you have to kind of take that leap, and I have. I always say like if your heart is into it and it's something that's positive, that God.
Speaker 2: Will show you the way to it, you know.
Speaker 3: And I want to, you know, definitely say you know, we all have it's like our life, like there's different treasures, you know, and it's up to us to recognize that, Hey, that could be a treasure, but not only that when you recognize it, like turn the key for it to open it up. A lot of us may recognize it and we just keep on going.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I can think of opportunities that I had even when I was modeling, where I didn't really turn that key, you know, And if I would have turned that key because I went to that one audition that I thought was stupid, but I should have went to it like I would have been on that show, you know, I didn't turn that key for that. I'm not at no position in my life to where I'm I'm turning every key, turn the key. I'm turning every key, and it's just not stopping at wings and things like. There's so much more to my life, you know, and I'm gonna keep turning the keys.
Speaker 1: Well, I am thankful that you turned the keys. I'm thankful for you for what you provide for our community. Very thankful that you're the first black business on Venice. It gives it's it's refreshing to see someone ring the bell. I think when you ring the bell indirectly, you inspire others.
Speaker 2: There's two more now, Marathon and Earl's on Crenshaw. Oh yeah, now too now.
Speaker 1: But it takes that one, right, it takes that one, and you were the one, and you had to overcome all this adversity. And I can't imagine it's easy on a relationship being in business with your wife or your family, you know, and dealing with a restaurant that demands so many hours, because I would imagine there's prep time, and then I would also imagine that there was a little bit of a learning curve when it comes to the whole hr regulations and cash flow and going and.
Speaker 2: With employees well too.
Speaker 3: You know that that's another thing too, because you know, it's not just my life that I'm taking care of, you know, I have to make sure that we stay in business for the people that have dedicated their aspects of their lives to us, and that's our employees that you know are there every day and making sure that everything is ran correctly and the food is cooked properly how.
Speaker 2: It needs to be.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's definitely it's a challenge for sure, but it's a rewarding challenge because we just all know, we all have the same goal.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, And when it comes to hiring employees. When it comes to hiring employees, how do you find an employee that has integrity? Because if you're away from the business, you need an employee that has one hundred percent integrity, right, So how do you fish out an employee that has integrity from an employee that doesn't.
Speaker 3: Well, when I first started, I was I kind of hired people who I felt with the deserved opportunity. You know. I was always at Venice Beach, you know, so I knew a lot of people there already.
Speaker 1: You know, why were you always at Vanish.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's Venice Beach, you know, I played basketball. It was always a place where I like to frequent.
Speaker 1: I like Venice. Manhattan would be first, though if I had a lot of money. Man Now, Manhattan's pretty nice, but you still, but I always go to Venice though. I go to Manhattan like once a year.
Speaker 2: Okay, But yeah, you know Venice. You get the whole culture there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you feel like you're in kind of New York. I'm from New York. So it kind of has that urban like you don't know what you're going to see.
Speaker 2: True that, true that.
Speaker 3: And to answer your question as far as how do I know what type of employee? You know, I've if you see on my call og and I type in wings because I put all my employees wings at the end, there's probably like twenty or twenty five, and right now we have like four hired, you know, but those other you know, sixteen didn't work out, whether they you know, the schedule just didn't fit for them, or I caught your ass doing something, you know, the ones that we have now, I still go off of the feeling of the person, you know, when we have the interview with them. It's all a vibe thing. It's all a vibe thing. And even the people that ended up doing something wrong, you know, I never felt like they would ever do something until they actually did something.
Speaker 1: And are you are? Do you have a prom pull on the trigger when it comes to like they messed up?
Speaker 3: You get, hey, nah, like I told you, we have a cancer, banter cancer, whatever you call it. You know, like I asked about to get canned, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: They're like, hey, don't get care.
Speaker 3: I don't want to see you get Kim, but I really can your ass. You know, like you get these warnings, you get a certain amount of warnings.
Speaker 1: But you know, like you gotta you gotta so what that that that banster that goes on. Do you and your wife or your kids ever get into it and be like they say that to you?
Speaker 3: My my, I'm so cool with my employees. They say that to me if they see me messing, I'm about to canyo ass.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, because we have that hilarious you know, but I love it because it keeps everybody knowing that, you know, there's an expectation and this is serious.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I mean we're doing this, this this series right now, you know this episode. But you know next year you're going to be able to go to our Instagram and see like a live broadcast of us every day because I'm just getting cameras set up in there because there's a lot of things happened up in there. There's a hot come that wasn't recorded, you know what I'm saying. Like even like with the customers that we have, like we got to hurry up, Hey, I got customers behind you let me take their orders because we're having so much fun with the customer up front, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and we just met them, you know.
Speaker 3: So you know the streaming world, we're getting into that and you'll be able to see our restaurant stream daily. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like that.
Speaker 1: So right now, just for all y'all listeners, tune it in. You can get everything Sauce Earthing Sauce online or in retail.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then if you were in the neighborhood or you just want to drive and takete some really good food and have a great time with a family or just on your.
Speaker 2: Own, treaches for fourteen twenty five Ocean Front Walk.
Speaker 1: Fourteen twenty five Ocean Front Walk, Venace Boulevard. This is the first black owned business on the block, so don't just hit a marathon and all the others. Definitely definitely check them out and have some good eats. And as far as the dish on this show, I have to say ten out of ten guys, if you are struggling out there, believe it or not, this is a quick dish under fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Should I put this on the menu or would you order this?
Speaker 1: I've I don't know, if the people that go to the beach would do this, I think they would be scared of the sardine thing, even though it tastes good. No no, no, no, no, don't mix.
Speaker 2: Don't mix.
Speaker 1: It's great. But I feel like your menu kind of holds its own and this this wouldn't be like.
Speaker 2: Secret secret menu. We have a secret menu the secret men.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 1: This could be something that you do offer on a secret menu, like you know, a secret special menu of and it kind of gives a taste of the owner, like kind of like if you want.
Speaker 3: To, like, you know, our potato, like a big potato. We have a loaded spiral potato on our secret menu. If you go on our all of our all of our secret items are on the are on our instagram and the only way you could order them is to show that item from from the instagram that you follow us and you're like, hey, I want this, Oh I want the soft crab the like that's not oh I.
Speaker 1: Need to get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah we have Yeah, check it out.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna make a trip and try I'm gonna start trying to different things on the menu versus ordering what I traditionally order. Okay, yes, I have to now because I feel like I've been playing myself. Yes, all right, guys, thank you so much for tuning in any any any any place. They can follow you, keep up with you, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Wang's Wang's at Venice. Wang's w A n G s at Venice. You could follow us there on Instagram and from there it has all the rest of our external links for our TikTok and everything of that nature. And again the address is fourteen twenty five Ocean Front Walk, Finish Boulevard. And yeah, that's that's pretty much it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for coming in and sharing your story and your meal, and I love this interview, so thanks, and I'll see you soon. You know, I'll be at the beach ordering try and samples. All right, guys, thanks for tuning in.
Speaker 2: Peace out peace,