Speaker 1: Watch up and welcome back to another episode of No Sealers Podcast with your host. Now fuck that with your loaw glasses. Malone really is the it's the ad libs like selling it. It's not a ton of it. It's really just the ad libs and selling it. It don't take that much. It be small things to let you know somebody is there. You know what I'm saying? And what's crazy about that song? And actually the last fourteen years we was having this conversation on the Live Pete about how people digest music being instrumental to how the records that people make.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I was reading last night about seventy eights, the history of seventy eighths, like the ten in seventy eight revolutions per minute the elect record and it's three minutes, you know what I'm saying. And it's funny because we've been having records that whole time. But I think because of the price record player that would play a seventy eight inch record, but not a seventy eight excuse me, a seventy eight rpm record or a ten inch record. It was like seventy eight dollars in the twenties, Like the player which is like two thousand dollars. Now, I was thinking like if music, like if the medium to play music was two thousand dollars, if the device was two thousand dollars, how few people like people wouldn't be playing music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's amazing how that seems to be the converted price point almost for everything new. I bet if you were to go nineteen fifty five basic entry television new to the market, probably about that price. I remember that was about the price when a flat screen came out. It came out of ten, but it dropped two, and then it was kind of like two for while, like twenty years ago. Like anytime something hits, it's kind of about that price until sum's made just to be accessible.
Speaker 1: But I was looking at right the record itself was like the I think it was like it was expensive. It might have been like two dollars back then. I wrote it down. Hold up, I wrote it down. Here's my notes for it. I think it was like two dollars. In the team like in the nineteen like nineteen ten, it might have been like two dollars, and the player was like seventy eight dollars still to play music, so we did. Year was there, that's nineteen ten, nineteen twenty, nineteen thirty. So in nineteen thirty, the record player seventy eight player, the record that would play the seventy eight revolutions per minutes to seventy eight, the ten and twelve, they were seventy eight dollars.
Speaker 3: Got a rain men that it was in nineteen thirty.
Speaker 2: Gen, you said, I was all the way until nineteen thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that we have. There's an economic statistic on learning curves for emerging technologies. This is actually very true here as you can see because just think about also just the material to make a record, like the physical whatever specific piece of type of plastic that was that was also new. Yeah, So like for every doubling of units sold, the price of production reduces between twenty to thirty percent.
Speaker 4: So we'll use it. Here's the interest effect. I'll try to pick you off.
Speaker 2: Gen.
Speaker 4: Seventy eight dollars in nineteen thirty would be fourteen hundred and seventy three dollars and fifty six cent today for a record player to.
Speaker 1: Play music, right, but think about it is one dollar per record in nineteen ten. Right in the twenties it went up to a dollar twenty five a little bit more, which would be like eighteen dollars in eighty six cents. You know, remember the twenties is really great. Depression happened the thirties. It was still over a dollar for a song, which would be twenty dollars. But what happened was when the forty fives came out and they started printing them on vinyl. Right that material, that plastic material, it dropped it all the way down to like sixty five cent. I think they was the cheapest forty five cent and the player itself dropped down to twenty dollars. It was thirty five cent seventy five cent in the forties. So that changed the dynamic of what it hit record was because right if you go to the Duke Ellington's, Duke Ellington made a lot of good big records. Lewis Jordan, Lewis Jordan made some big records. Lewis Jordan made some big records. It's crazy. I was reading too. It's another lady Ruth Brown. She made some big records. But because music wasn't like for the everyday man, it wasn't available like you had to go out to hear music.
Speaker 2: It was hard to have recorded music at home pre nineteen forties.
Speaker 1: Even the process of recording music all the way up to nineteen twenty five. They used to kind of perform into like a horn, and as they were performing, the horn right would take the vibration and carve into whatever the shelacci is. You know, to record the music, you had to record in a horn, like it was horn in front of you. So I was just I've been doing a lot of research, just really foundation research, you know what I mean, Like I said, as early as eighteen eighties, just coming forward, and I was just thinking, like, like.
Speaker 2: I don't think we take it serious enough.
Speaker 1: I think we've been blessed and lucky enough to have so many people, and it depends some people don't feel like it's lucky. Some people talk crazy about the business structure that monetizes the cultural records we present, but really without it, you know what I mean, it might be a different kind of challenge because you would not realize how much work it is to make a record or even market a record.
Speaker 3: Sure, so that's absolutely true.
Speaker 1: So just staring at it and reading it and really getting to it, like some crazy facts.
Speaker 2: Ike Turner is considered to have the first rock and roll record.
Speaker 1: My Man, right, nineteen fifty one, Brother, that's right Turner, right, So that's before Obviously little Richard, Little Richard gets credited as playing the music. And obviously I think think it's a combination of what Ike Turner and Little Richard did, what I Turner was doing with the bust and amp on the guitar in nineteen fifty one, and what Little Richard was doing in the mid fifties with his styling and how he's playing the radeck and stuff that creates what's the brother name actually is considered the father of rock and roll, Chuck Berry. Chuck Berry like, he took those two things and made it, and his idea was a flip of an old country song as well. Yeah, so it's been it's been an interesting journey as I as I look to rewrite the independent hip hop record business for twenty twenty five, this is no siblings, last luck in the house. My brother Peter Boss with me, got my big brother Norm Stell, big steal, whatever y'all want to call it.
Speaker 3: I call him medium.
Speaker 4: Well. Yeah, as long as it's not Norman Norm, as long as it's not like Norm.
Speaker 3: Well done.
Speaker 2: Mister well done.
Speaker 4: No, that's not me. I actually had I actually, I actually had a really good medium beef rid By roast that I made and it was actually you know what, it was actually on the more on the side of rear. I said, I'm gonna try something different this year. It was actually one side of rear. And it actually tastes a pretty good you feel of it. I don't know, it actually tastes a pretty good serious pictures, no, Marie, tell you right now, send the pictures. Let me have a picture of it.
Speaker 3: Let me see on one small step from man, I don't know if I.
Speaker 4: Took a picture of this. Let me see.
Speaker 2: So this is what I was tripping off of. Right.
Speaker 1: So now again for me to go forward, I have to understand the foundation of something, which is why I understand how important it is to understand your history, you know what I mean, Like I get why, especially for a mind like Mines, that's a big thing. So as I get into the foundation of recorded music, right, and then I could look at, like I said, those three artists, and because music is not so accessible to the everyday common man in America that even a record that's big is not as big as a record became in the forties and fifties, when records became affordable and the record player became affordable, you know what I'm saying. So you fast forward and to where Ray Charles. That's why he becomes what looks like the first megastar because of what changed in and even fast forward when you look at the technology, switches were not giving a lot of credence to it. Right, you go from Duke Ellington and like I said, Louis Jordan and Ruth Brown to Ray Charles and you're like, oh, is Ray Charles a better musician? Probably not, But because music was more accessible, it went from let's say, just as an example, it went from one, you know, four hundred thousand people being able to afford recorded music at home, where you had to go to a bar to hear music or some outing, to where four hundred thousand went to four million people being able to afford you know, recorded music and playing recorded music at home. So then if you putting out music, then it's just a different journey. And it's the same thing with technology to me that happened with.
Speaker 2: MTV.
Speaker 1: Like if you look at Rick James Prince and Michael Jackson right, who all began their careers solo to a degree right around the same time. I mean, Michael Jackson was a little earlier, but he wasn't really having the type of success that he was going to be known for, you know, I mean we start talking about Off the Wall, we start talking about you know that version, Yeah, to Quincy's Michael, to Quincy's Michael Jackson. But Rick James was just as polarizing as a musician and probably just as accomplished if you remove to Jackson five as Prince and Michael Jackson when he first came out, right, But the separation of the technology that we reference as MTV changed their ability to be marketed to more people. You know, Sony had the opportunity. Sony was able to say, Hey, if you don't play Michael Jackson's record, we're gonna pull our white artists from it. And Sony had white artists, So guess what we get Billy Jean at this massive level. Right, and then with Prince, right, Warner Brothers has the same opportunities, Hey, if you don't put our artists on because MTV wasn't playing black artists, we don't put our artists on, We're gonna pull our white artists. Now, Prince Is on MTV. Guess who didn't have black artists botown? So when it was time to get Rick James on, they were able to keep Rick James off of MTV, and you could see what happened to their careers, you know after the mid eighties, you know, post that going into the mid eighties, every print and Mike went this way, and Rick was kind of stuck in just our world.
Speaker 4: Rick James. You know what, ze, Rick James was actually pretty big in eighty five though, he was actually big, but I'll tell you where you Yeah, he was big in the hood too though, like like like, Rick James was one of them dudes. Though I'm trying to think of a comparison him to somebody today. He was big without being popular. You feel what I'm saying. Yeah, but this is what I'm saying to you still point Yeah, I knowd MTV.
Speaker 1: He has MTV and they showed Rick doing his thing with street songs versus what does that look like to white America at that point that's been able to now coming to our world because of m TV. What happened, Hue, Like what happens to Rick James. Rick James probably would have been dead in the eighties almost like he almost like that Rappers wet.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. Imagine before it was rappers, we imagine. Yeah, it's funny, we just had that conversation.
Speaker 1: Imagine if White America got a bar of Rick like at that level as MTV like they didn't want to play give it to Me Baby like.
Speaker 2: Imagine if they would.
Speaker 1: Have on MTV like Brick like Mike and Prince probably would have looked like nothing compared to this wild boy from New York.
Speaker 4: Think about the lyrics of giving to Me Baby. Think about the lyrics what he was saying though when I came home last night, you wouldn't make love to me.
Speaker 1: You went fast asleep mm hm, like a juvenile. That's juvenile whole premise of that. Let's see, I'm in a room with it and a hole worn fuck like a man. I'm gonna beat my meat and get my fucking up for show that was on that back in the eighties. He's gonna be drove in and I'm gonna turn the TV off and go to sleep on that hold in.
Speaker 2: You feel me? So I'm gonna cut the TV off.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying all that to say that technology has been at the forefront of what happens to music, like for a while. You know, somebody like Russ who really benefited from a SoundCloud as a community. Remember that social media created new communities. The blog era created new communities. Before that, it was just standard communities. You know, people that was grouped together, lived close together. D you know, couple couple exceptions to the rule, but very few versus now where there's a ton of different communities where people they don't in the physical live with each other, but you know mentally they reside in the exact same place. They may share the same Facebook groups, you know, they may live on the same apps. That has a sense of community on the apps. So there's so many more communities now than ever before, and all of those communities are kind of developing their own culture. It's not quite culture because you don't walk outside and see it, but their conduct on social media is the same. Like you use words like you see people using terms like glazer, Oh he's he glazes that person. I guess that's the equivalent of saying like a doughnut, where like you you you on somebody's jock. You suck and they you know you you showing them too much love, you know. I guess it's a negative connotation that you suck and they dick. So it's like a spin on a penis. I would imagine these words are weird nowadays. Well, the other day, she says, Dad, you're constantly trying to trigger me. I said, what, Like, what does that mean? Everybody's bringing this whole mental health age and to just normal sustain.
Speaker 2: Everybody told you.
Speaker 3: I hate that ship. I hate that ship so bad.
Speaker 2: Everybody call them trauma words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're the trauma. Tell you about your durability. That's my motto.
Speaker 1: I used to tell Jay you one day told me that he like you gaslight me. Bro, don't never say that to me. I've really had to step up, Like, I don't say that to me never again. I don't never say that to me again. God, don't even don't do that. Don't say that to me.
Speaker 3: Don't gas English language even the word like, you know, like the best example to me of of of a heisting of a word is equity as like equality on steroids.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 4: For me woke?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there used to be something that was like black like when people understood the assault they was under. Now woke has become like what white people is, and white people attack other white people as a weird way of still offending black people.
Speaker 4: They just took our word from They just took the word our word. He's made. It's some whole other shit.
Speaker 2: It's like the rainbow. It used to be like a representation of Jesus love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, sure, I thought the rainbow was a representation of God's love after the Great flood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our God's love. Forgive me, forgive me God after the flood. Yeah. So it's like hijack. So it's like.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about that and as I prepare, like I said, to rewrite the independent hip hop record business, right, I'm just thinking about really the challenges that exists, right, And one of the greatest challenges is outside of the fact that we have been you know, we were spoiled by the traditional style of record of seventy years ago, you know what I mean. Let's let's just say because Ray Charles and them were still making like a rock version of record, like the first pop record, not popular record, but the first kind of concept of a pop record to me would be Ray Charles's I got a woman right where you kind of take the flavor out of some some cultural genre and you make it digestible to the masses. Sure, now, there were some cultural things that were digestible to the masses, obviously rock and roll, but they were very much rock and roll, and people just got into the spirit.
Speaker 4: But what Ray.
Speaker 2: Charles, Yes, I like that, or I like that. A lot of sugar, no saltings.
Speaker 1: So he took a lot of the the God out of He took a lot of God out of the Southern tones, must be Jesus, and made it kind of worldly. Took a lot of the seasoning out of the gospel, seasoning out of it, and made it really to where people, Hey, I like this.
Speaker 3: He's the guy who originally started a massive societal paradigm focus shift of seventy years ago. People were worse than God. Now they're worse pussy because he remade that song.
Speaker 2: I'm not mad.
Speaker 1: That might be some truth to that. It's some truth to that. Pussy could be God too. I thank that weirdness.
Speaker 3: Many people kneel to it, people do.
Speaker 2: Pray to it.
Speaker 1: Said, Actually, when you think about it, it's very It has a very weird godly effect on men?
Speaker 2: How many prayers?
Speaker 3: Now? Is Jared? God give me some pussy.
Speaker 1: I remember I heard a dude say on a on a podcast he was like. I was like, yeah, man, oh no. I was listening to it and the host was like, yeah, man, would you take five hundred million dollars? But you can never pussy no more? He said, no, what I'm gonna do with the money? I was like, holy shit. But the point I'm saying, as I arrive at the obstacles, right, and I'm looking at the obstacles, I'm like, damn, okay, what's going on right now? What's really the problem? Like, let me stop walking to the crosswalk. I always say that hip hop is jaywalking, It's not walking to the crosswalk, right, And it's like, what is the problem now, what does a crosswalk look like?
Speaker 2: And what I thought about.
Speaker 1: Still was because we've been spoiled by the traditional standard record for seventy years or longer, right, which is the hook verse bridge, hook verse bridge, whatever that is, right, And we had that seven years, and then hip hop for the last forty years on wax has gave us culture like a lot of the audience that we want to speak to grow up. Culturally entitled.
Speaker 2: M that's my new we When you.
Speaker 4: Say culturally entitled, I know what you mean, but explain to the audience a little bit. What you're saying.
Speaker 1: Culturally entitled means you have no in hip hop. It means, specifically street urban culturally entitled that you believe because you've listened to enough rap songs, right, that you've listened to enough rap songs and digested enough social media content that you are totally in tune with.
Speaker 2: The street urban culture.
Speaker 4: You are in an expert of what's going on, much like people that watch a lot of football.
Speaker 3: Coach, that's that's universal. That's it's it's an academicist perspective. It's it's white sociology PhDs. What that's every white sociology PhD breathing oxygen in this country.
Speaker 2: Tell me more, telling the truth, Telling the truth, Tell me more.
Speaker 3: I pontificated over some peer reviewed horseship essays that aren't backed up. I spent a lot of time in the classroom. I read a lot of books. Now I think I know sub culture. I've never seen it by life.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 3: Of a white man, and they certified me.
Speaker 4: White man or a white woman.
Speaker 1: They certify you on other people's coach black. I know what's going on with those guys.
Speaker 2: I read them.
Speaker 4: It's because of their social economic conditions that they ate this way. So when I meet them, I'm going to rep to them. I'm going to rep.
Speaker 3: That's that's that's why you get like Hillary. She carries hot sauce in pers on fucking Charlottage Show.
Speaker 4: If you ever start getting in trouble around some black people, just start rapping immediately astimulating to the environment. You imagine the motherfucker being stuck in the hooks. He at the gas stationed off from period, you know, across from the projects, and some brothers pointing to a white dude. He just start going, Yo, bro, you ain't got to mess with my fro. Don't mess with my float. The brother just saying, okay, he'd be hip to us. What's up, brother, you down with us?
Speaker 2: I'm crying.
Speaker 4: Oh you ever seen the Soul plane man, that where the dude was talking jive on the plane They're plane when.
Speaker 3: The dude was talking with the old white lady.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 3: That's famous city. He translates with the stewardess because he has his stomach ache from the fish.
Speaker 4: M let me see you see like the finally to play that real quick.
Speaker 2: Anywhere tu ris man, But anyway, that's over there.
Speaker 3: It's running a little hot.
Speaker 4: We're starting.
Speaker 2: This is got way, it's not going it's not there.
Speaker 1: Anyway, said go on, there's this, I'm starting the ravee. Hold over here playing weird.
Speaker 2: When you're doing that, I get you something more, folks. But laying into the boom.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: You said you can't hang us.
Speaker 3: I speak good, he said, anyone you can help me?
Speaker 2: All right? Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine.
Speaker 3: M hmm, just Alw's blood.
Speaker 2: She gonna catch up to.
Speaker 1: Raise no dummies, tell me some second chat.
Speaker 2: Don't got no brands?
Speaker 1: Oh man, please stop, please stop anyway. But that's b And it's weird because all of this stuff, like I've talked about this, all of this hoopla right now currently that's going on in my in my universe as far as socially is because around seven years ago I realized what hip hop street urban culture was personified through the arts hip hop, and five years ago, I realized Drake wasn't a part of it.
Speaker 2: Within the context of a conversation and.
Speaker 4: We're talking about Drake before you get the sixes on.
Speaker 2: You six is crazy. Oh man, that's exactly what it's like. It's like even then, it's like I can hear the rhetoric that.
Speaker 1: His fans or even he's presenting, and it's like in his mind, he feels like he's in tune with street urban culture. And it's like he probably he has to be in his mind, Like who this Glasses think he is? I'm as aware as him, Like like I am as aware of street urban culture as he is. And it's because he is studying talk. But that's what I'm saying. I think.
Speaker 4: He has study jaf talk. Yeah, Glasses, he more thief.
Speaker 3: This is inter because he speaks certified. He has certified records. They were certified platter that's a PhD in this genre.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he understands and that works to the fans. The fans really be like, gee, man, like, look how well he's doing.
Speaker 2: You mean to tell me he's not speed urban cult.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I was talking with this girl who she's West African and she lives in Cleveland about this thing, because she hit me up on Instagram and it was just like really funny talking about like this Kendrick Drake shit. It was like such a weird converging dynamic of a West African immigrant in Ohio talking about a Canadian black Jewish guy versus a dude from Compton with a white guy from Orange County. It was the strangest like pile of stuff thrown in a blender in conversational history. It was so weird.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I realized that was going on. That's one of the greatest it's barriers I have to overcome is the average person in America who grew up listening to hip hop feels like they're as culturally savvy as I am. Like, and I get it because they hear the songs and they watch the content on social media and it's like I had somebody tell me that Glasses we heard the same songs, and I'm like, no, I'm living the songs.
Speaker 2: I've lived the song man.
Speaker 4: Like the Mama Mama say Mama, Michael Saw didn't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Gee.
Speaker 3: Think about this. Also, though twenty years ago, hip hop wasn't dominated by per se but there certainly was a significant aspect of the space, not culturally, but like industry wise to this discussion as to who's a gangster versus studio gangster. Right, this isn't a difficult decision to make if you're looking at people, but if you don't no heads from tails that it's like some of you have to discuss and debate for hours and days and weeks on end. It's like like you'd have to be distant enough from the epicenter to not understand that rapper ABC or D maybe in his past didn't actually buy and sell thirty million dollars worth of rock cocaine in his life.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've always thought that that conversation was kind of like goofy.
Speaker 3: It was goofy, but it was emblematic of the audience. There had to be enough of an audience that didn't understand shit for that cars didn't even persist longer than seventeen seconds.
Speaker 1: But I don't think the audience started that conversation. I think, no, they didn't reject it either. Well, I don't think they can.
Speaker 3: I think that you would degree there was enough caring for it to have sustained itself.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that was something that started within the art. Again, hip hop is the artistic expression, it's the artistic expression of the culture. So again, like if we start talking about who really did what, that's not quite like the conversation to me, right that It's like if somebody next to you, if you did something and somebody you grew up with did something and you know the experience. Yeah, it's task upon you to explain it. Now, whether you explain it in first person or third person is irrelevant to me. I mean, that's just your creativity because obviously you're making art. But I'm saying this is a little different than that, because this is not like, this is not the same conversation as oh, who is a studio gangster and who is Like we're we're talking way past around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not saying that specifically.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, but I don't want people to listen to this pod and get confused thinking that a studio gangster is somebody that's culturally entitled.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not talking about the artists at all. I'm not talking about anything that's going on in or around the studio by the artists, labels, distributors, or otherwise I'm simply just talking about the audience and their perception.
Speaker 1: No, no, but even the perception they didn't even again, like I said before we get loose to that, I don't think they really was into the studio gangster side.
Speaker 2: I think that was something.
Speaker 1: That the culture itself started, and then the audience was able to say, Okay, do we really care about this? And I don't as much as I think, as much as I think they do, they don't.
Speaker 3: I post one question, sure.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to stay there only because this kind of becomes counterproductive, like this is where we're gonna get lost and of what I have to do because.
Speaker 3: It's like, yes, it's the weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, like it's a tangle because that's not what hip hip hop was never about. The actual person, Like I'm just lucky to be to make it through to be the actual person to describe it.
Speaker 3: But saying it was, I'm saying it speaks to the illiteracy of the audience. If you don't think the audience cared asked Ja rou.
Speaker 1: But I don't think. I don't think. I don't even think that's even what happened at Ja Ruh. Like I because if that was a case, Jahru would probably be the one that's doing well. Jahru was the aggressor in the conversation and that whole sequence of him in fifty cent.
Speaker 2: His crew was more of the aggressor. His crew was more of the thorough crew.
Speaker 1: Again, we're talking about two bunch of street guys to some degree, right, but the supreme team that was with ja Ru. Jahru was a guy. They had fights, you know, sometimes I think gu and it won some of the fights. They had another fight where murdering stab fifty cent if I remember hearing correctly, Like, it was always a back and forth thing and the biggest player and the whole situation is on the murder ink side. So it's like, I don't think jah Ru. If people thought jo Ruth was a studio against they probably might be a little wrong. I mean, I'm sure they're wrong to some degree. So it's like, that's why you can't have the audience deciding that, you know what I mean? Really, it was always within the culture conversation that leaked out.
Speaker 2: But again I don't want to get caught there because this is not that conversation.
Speaker 1: This is not whether you think somebody that grew up in the community or you know that grew up baptized in street urban culture. If they're actually a criminal, if they're a participant, because your job as an artist is to paint the pictures of what's happening in the culture.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, I'm just saying if you don't, If if you're a literist low enough, then you can get taken for a ride.
Speaker 1: It's all same, Yeah, I know, but right otherwise, so, but it's like you have people that are culturally unaware.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: The depth of their understanding is they're being taught by the artists or what's going on on social media, and I don't think there's really okay, So, while that's not hip hop, if the songs are teaching you about what's going on in the culture, you know, especially where you're from, mainly where you're from, you probably are not the culture. Yeah, And I think that's what's happening to the fans. I think we have a group of fans who grew up with the culture in their airphone, you know, in their air force, in the in their earphones.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: This is another this is a This is probably the third Is this the third generation that grew up with hip hop. Still you the first generation that grew up with hip hop?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know what I would say this is, this is the.
Speaker 1: Third generation growing up with hip hop, because yours the first generation that.
Speaker 2: Grew up with hip hop. Because hip hop still when you were a teenager.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I remember when it really wasn't I remember when we were like there was Yeah, we were listening to Duran, Duran, a lot of R and.
Speaker 1: B had we had other things outside of hip hop, versus my era where it was just hip hop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, X gen X millennials gen Z.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's three generations, right, So I think what's happening is as we're marketing music to this third generation or even the first and second, right, I think you have people who you used to sell the culture to right the art too, and they knew that they weren't from this environment like we're still grew up at There were people who grew up in different places and they were honest enough that still age to say, hey, I didn't grow up like still grew up. My experience was different, and they would let Still tell them about his experiences of growing up in Cleveland, you know, coming to Long Beach, right like this is his experience, and they didn't. The people from Crito's didn't act like, oh, I know what he's talking about. They were still open. Even my generation, right as that second generation that grew up in it right to a degree, we still let other people tell us about culture that wasn't our own. But this third generation is really unique because they feel like they understand what's going on based off of growing up generationally with street urban culture at their fingertips.
Speaker 2: Not just the.
Speaker 1: Songs, not just a history of songs, a history of books, a history of films, a history of content that you can access on social media.
Speaker 2: And what I came to the conclusion of is like, we.
Speaker 1: Have to like there's a group of people outside of that group of people that we have to start targeting.
Speaker 4: You know what I found interested in coming up in a place like Cleveland that was really segregated. We did have white folks that lived on our side of town, you know, on the east side off one hundred and five, right, same community we lived in, Right. I don't think you couldn't have told them dudes that they wasn't black, dude, they had white parents. It wasn't like they either they had white parents. They just lived in the neighborhood. But they were into the same things that we were doing, and they didn't really know how to. I remember my boyfriends man when we first got Bush to Clark Elementary. He was on the bus with us and his white dude asked him, why are you hanging out with the nigros all day? Why are you hanging out with these like And he didn't understand what they were saying. He didn't understand. He really didn't understand that stuff because he was raised with us. True, So I think I think it's very important to note dog did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's an interesting micro macro on the segregational concept because while the segregation in the macro had all the people who were asking that same person the question, he wasn't. He was integrated. He was in your neighborhood. So he's two different Those are two radically different people and experiences.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what you think due to this day is married to a black woman, married to a black woman. Also had a white home boy that dated pretty much everybody dated white girl. I was saying black girls, but he was from the neighborhood. Though.
Speaker 1: I always say that the root of culture is not your skin. The root of culture is the land.
Speaker 3: Mm hm yeah. Sure.
Speaker 2: So it's like when of the dudes in.
Speaker 4: The phone see would swear up and down it was black.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't quite know what that means, but I got it.
Speaker 4: No, But they just speak a certain way. You feel what I'm saying. But look at a perfect example, look at Storing Baker bro dude, that was raising the black community.
Speaker 2: But but again it.
Speaker 1: This goes back to that same conversation I keep having with people about hip hop not being black, hip hop being black based off of demographics, not being black based off of an understanding or existing of being black.
Speaker 3: Well, it's yeah, it's it's the fruit of a tree. It's there's a difference between the tree and the fruit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yes, But I mean.
Speaker 1: Because somebody, like I said, somebody like Fat Joe who grew up in a project full of brothers, he doesn't have a full understanding of what it's like to be black. Even somebody who's a Puerto Rican who grew up in the Bronx, who grew up in hip hop, you know what I mean, And the culture itself still could use a term like radical black racist because there's a level of blackness that he's unaware of, because again, being hip hop doesn't mean being black to a full point.
Speaker 3: Or he's aware of it, and he's using polarity for self servitude.
Speaker 1: I don't even I don't even think he would do that, as I think if you were'm aware, he wouldn't even do that. And see, that's what I think most people think of what he's doing, is that he's using it as like he knows better. And it's like, I don't think he knew better, because Joe's the kind of person I believe if you knew better, he would do better. Better man if he didn't know any better. But again, like I said, it's like there are certain things that being black. You know that naturally, you just know coming up. You've heard it enough in your life.
Speaker 2: You hear it inside your house, you hear it outside your house, you hear it. You know.
Speaker 1: For the most part, it's a standard when you start to assimilate with people that look like you, you know what I mean. And for most of us, it comes with our parents. I mean, there is a small percentage of people. I would imagine there are some black parents that's teaching a kid racism. Don't exist. I just don't know if I know any of them. I don't think I've ever met a black parent that doesn't think racism doesn't exist. But I'm sure there are some preaching it. So again we're talking about the macro. I mean, what's happening in most.
Speaker 3: Homes from my own experience, like, I think there's maybe not enough like gradient this to that spectrum. What I people who I know who might be loosely described as having that perspective, it's not it doesn't exist, it's while it exists, your problems you you haven't even got there yet kind of thing, you know what I mean. It's like that might exist, but you fucked up at this, so that could exist, or otherwise you fucked up before you even got there. Is largely like the the root of most of the conversations that I have that are further down on that side of that perception spectrum, because I don't know anybody who said it doesn't exist, but it usually have to the extent that it exists, it doesn't matter for you. You already made a bad decision that costs you, So don't blame it on that because you fucked up for you even hit that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's technically that's yeah.
Speaker 4: I think there are a large contingency of people that believe that racism no longer exists, you black people. I think it's a few black people that think.
Speaker 2: Especially large, A large, A large, not at large.
Speaker 4: It's a larger percentage of white folks that don't think racism exists. But there's a there's a small segment of black people that think racism that think everything is just fine.
Speaker 1: Don't don't don't play with words.
Speaker 2: No, don't play with words.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's a large number of black people that don't think racism exists.
Speaker 4: I think it's I think it's more than it should be. I wouldn't say it was large, right, but I think it's more than it should be.
Speaker 3: More a million is three percent, So it depends on how you're defining the raw number or the percent number.
Speaker 4: I just think, man, and there are some people that are doing well in life, bro, that think that certain stuff don't effect impact them. You feel what I'm saying. They think, Oh, I'm up there, not because I have money. I have this. I've never thought, no matter how much money I have, dog, I always got reminded, man that I was a nigga. I always got a reminder that you are still black. I remember, man, when we was an escro for a house. You know, we're getting our stuff together for a house, right, and you know that's the stressful last time. People. You know, when you're buying a house, you got to have a certain amount of money in the bank, you know, when you're doing certain things right. So I had, you know, my my mortgage. You know, my real estate agent said, hey, y'all gotta put like fifteen to twenty more grand in the bank to show that y'all, you know, do this. So I had I had a cashiers checked, like one hundred thousand dollars. Cashiers checked dogs. I went to put in the bank. I went to the bank down in pair of my dude. They wanted to put a hold on it, wanted to had me do this show reforms ID and I was mad as hell. So I left there, went to the bank and Beverly Hills. Dog went up there with my attorney, you know, the attorney from the publisher coming. He met me up there, some people. My stuff is available the same day. Dog money was available. Funds available the same day. Whereas I went to this other spot. Oh, there's no way you can have Where did you get this from Norman Steel? That doesn't sound like your name. You don't look like a Norman you know. Just little things, bro, And you get reminded, Yeah, you're still the nigga dog, even.
Speaker 3: Like that's that's a that's a poverty that that's a zip code thing, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which which ultimately first over the racism.
Speaker 2: Thing is it's still yeah, Pete, that's what we're telling you though.
Speaker 1: No, but yeah, but even at the top level, it's still not a zip code thing. And I think that's the thing where it's like, this is the kind of thing that that might be one of the things that's in black cultures that we all know about racism at a full I think that may be one of the few things that we do share as a macro, you know. I mean, I don't think it's one percent of Black people that don't think, you know, America is racist. I'd be surprised if you could find one million Black people that don't think America.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just think that just that would be one of those cultural things that we all communicate and know.
Speaker 2: But again, we have to be at a different place where.
Speaker 1: Culturally, a middle upper class Jewish kid from Canada things that he is as urban culturally savvy as somebody who grew up in Watson Compton, you know what I mean. And there's an audience of people saying, oh, well, he's as culturally savvy as you. He's as urban culturally savvy as you, And I'm like, huh really. But then again it goes to the audience, right, the audience who has no idea what urban culture is, but they feel like they do because of what they saw on social media or the records that they listen to.
Speaker 3: Whatever happens with the rest of this podcast, there's a piece between grew up in Canada versus I grew up in Wahston Compton and you, and then a pause and the word huh. That clip needs to be extracted and circulated elsewhere whatever happens on the rest of the show, that little twelve seconds was just spectacular.
Speaker 1: All right, Still, you need to make sure you cut that out. It's between forty forty eight minutes. Write this down between the forty six minute and the forty eight minute mark.
Speaker 4: Forty six and forty eight minute, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Write that down, so we could chop that clip. Again, It's just we're in a different time and.
Speaker 1: People will say to me and again, it's not about cuz it's about the fans, like with his dad's from Memphis and I'm like Nikka, like I ain't from Compton, like in Watts like again, because people are culturally entitled, and I think the goal is hip hop has not only have I been critical of artists who are just using old rap songs, old hip hop songs to hatch new songs, which is kind of while we're not, you know, growing hip hop the way our predecessors were, you know, in the in the early two thousands and the nineties, in the eighties, they were all growing it.
Speaker 2: But we're like feasting on what's they're already.
Speaker 1: Know, like like a like a buzzard, like a you know, what do you call it, a scavenger. Were just feasting on, you know, ourselves, like a accountibal. While our predecessors were always bringing new people to the party.
Speaker 2: While Dre was bringing people who liked.
Speaker 1: David McCallum to the party. You know, the guys who made the edge or or using no doubt, you know, declined to make forgot about Drake bringing no doubt fans to the hip hop party or jay Z you know, using the doors to make takeover, bringing rock fans to the party where for years hip hop used to bring people to the party. If you were at the It's also party, Big Pun brought you to the hip hop party with the remix of I Still Don't want to be a player, Like that's what hip hop used to do, used to rush your people into the party, into our cultural party. But now hip hop is so spoiled and the audience, so the artists are so spoiled, and then the base is so culturally entitled that they like, yeah, I know as much as anybody else, the artists themselves painting the picture. So I think the goal is hip hop is to go outside of the space. Like I said, It's like like if the first single on the one ten album, right, it's chili cheese fries. We need to go teach Rachel Ray on her show she needs to make chili cheese fries, and we need to tell her what does that mean to La street urban culture. That base of people is probably not culturally entitled, true. I mean we need to really get back to servicing this party and bringing people who haven't came to this party, to this party because there's an audience for people that's doing it. That's why Taylor Swift is doing so well. We was pursuing that audience, Snoop and Dre was pursuing that audience. They started to compete for that audience. They wasn't competing for this audience that we naturally already have. They were competing for whoever. The biggest act was in ninety two ninety three period.
Speaker 4: Yeah, chili, cheese, fries and interest. And when they come out.
Speaker 3: And they understood, like those guys understood not maybe the artistic bridge, but just the like the consumer parallel between and you've talked about this between cinema and music. Yeah, they made miniature cinema into music or vice versa.
Speaker 4: Do you think that if Snoop band, Snoop Dass, all those guys when they came at the around the time they came to Dre, do you think they had more of an influence on Dre than Drey had on them.
Speaker 2: Influence is a different word, probably not.
Speaker 4: Because you got to remember they was fresh out the hood, fresh out.
Speaker 3: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Probably not more because I think Dre they picked up a lot of doctor Dre's ways as a veteran. They all looked up to Dre. I think artistically they could have shaped where the chronic was going. But I think he was way more influential to them. He was way by that time when he was thirty years old, I mean roughly, so it's like, you know, they were all looking up to doctor Dre from n W A.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: And to the extent that one learn or another, they learned different things. Like Draymond learned a little bit more what was fresh, but they learned a lot more. And again, you're in you're in that room. You're trying to be a music professional. He was a music professional. You have more to learn from him than he has to learn from you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, of course musically. When I'm talking about is culture and style and all that other stuff. Stuff that might you know, because when people gee, when people attained a certain level of success, they do become removed somewhat.
Speaker 3: Look at this way, though Dre had been at a Compton four or five years.
Speaker 2: Was it that long? I don't even think it is that I'm being generous. You be a year old.
Speaker 3: Those guys been in the music industry.
Speaker 2: Never well, I think I think.
Speaker 1: I think also remember, like they said, even when they start recording it at Dre's house, he even had furniture.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like somebody who was.
Speaker 1: At millions of dollars and was out of the hood, like you know, straight out to the n w A. He was in the hood. And eighty eight he was still in the hood. Eighty nine he was still in the hoo. It probably didn't get out the hood till probably eighty nine ninety and then he finds Scoop in ninety one, ninety ninety one, you know what I mean. He wasn't that far removed. But I definitely think they brought a youthful energy Warren you know, Warren Dog corrupt RBA. They you know what I mean, they brought.
Speaker 4: And you could listen to the music eating. At the height of Warren Jee's popularity, he was living right over behind what's the grocery store over there. Now they used to be like Alberson's or something. I was a winkles them, mom. The gated community over there and Long Beach Lakewood like Lake.
Speaker 2: South and South and Downy, yeah, South and Downey.
Speaker 4: Warren was all that gaeated community in a gated community, though, Warren and Leaf from over there. It was that when regular was going on Dog, I would see Warren sometimes driving down South Street and his beans dog top down, just hanging out, still going to the same records store to get samples and stuff Dog, and people see Warren like, what's up Warren? He was just always in the hood. I think Warren was more in the hood than the mother dudes was for a long time.
Speaker 2: Sure, So again again, I think.
Speaker 1: I think we have to get away from the culturally entitled marketing to the culturally entitled.
Speaker 3: Sure, and I.
Speaker 1: Think there's something specifically we have to do with the records. But I think when you are making a traditional seventy year old record, I think you have to get away from the culturally entitled based that that that that we've been marketing to, you know what I mean, not necessarily streaming again, not not going to the same thing, because I think they just spoiled. They've had it too long, They've been so aware, like think about it, like I always say this, but well, cripping and blood and there's a general racing.
Speaker 2: The kids who grew up with crypton bloods in their town.
Speaker 1: They don't even care where it comes from.
Speaker 3: Sure, and like I'll quote George Gilderton, dead and buried, there's a certain universality to the to the principal information is surprised at this point, there's no longer information being trans preferred because there's no news. It's just shit we know and heard before, recirculating the people who've heard it before.
Speaker 4: Peter before. I forget what I was looking for on the phone. What was the name of that white doctor. She was an older lady and she did this experiment in the sixties where she was showing a bunch of white kids what racism.
Speaker 2: Was, and those kids and wanted to be black.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what was that woman was brilliant, though.
Speaker 3: I don't know what. I don't know what you know. I know you're talking about. I just got my head confused because I started watching the Stanford prison experiment yesterday and.
Speaker 4: I was trying to find that broke because those white kids were really in their feelings some kind of but like, this is not fair, and she said, well, that's what happens to black people every day.
Speaker 1: Well, if y'all know what it is, make sure y'all leave it in the comments.
Speaker 2: No selings.
Speaker 1: Looking out for tuning into the No Sellings Podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, comment, and share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA. Were produced A Boy, The Black Effect Podcast Network, and now hard Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah.