Speaker 1: Hey, it's Danielle Fischl right or Strong and will Fredell. But you know us best as Tapanga.
Speaker 2: Sean and Eric from Boy Meets World.
Speaker 1: And now Pod Meets World, the podcast where we've been sitting down weekly to rewatch the show we starred in as kids, and we've been unpacking well a lot.
Speaker 3: And we've been taking the show on the road with the Kids Want to Jump Tour where every stop in cities across the US has been totally different and pretty hilarious, if.
Speaker 4: I do say so myself. But we know not everyone can join us. So we're happy to announce that our recent thirtieth anniversary of the show, Live from the met in Philadelphia, will now be available to stream no matter where you live.
Speaker 1: Our biggest show yet in the hometown of the Matthews, featuring appearances by Trina, Angela McGhee, Matthew Lawrence aka Jack Hunter, Tony Mister Turner Quinn, and Danny Harley McNulty, who makes a very special surprise visit.
Speaker 3: It was so much fun and now you can experience it from the comfort of your own home.
Speaker 4: It will be available on December eleventh at five pm Pacific. You can learn more about how you can watch at veeps dot Events slash Pod meets World.
Speaker 5: December eleventh, your birthday.
Speaker 4: That's the boy.
Speaker 1: Get all the info on streaming the live Pod meets World show so you don't miss out. Go to veeps, ve e p s dot Events, slash Pod meets World. Now writer, what's the earliest time you've ever had a drink.
Speaker 4: In a day?
Speaker 5: Yeah, on a day, I'm probably noon.
Speaker 1: Okay, You've never there's never been like a camping day where you've woken up and been like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to have a little uh oh.
Speaker 4: You know when I went backpacking as a teenager, we would bring we brought whiskey, and and the older teenagers that we were backpacking with when you woke up on the second you we would be so sore, and they would be like, we're all going to take a sip of whiskey before we start backpacking.
Speaker 5: It helps make you less.
Speaker 4: No, I think it was just an excuse for teenager to drink. Of course, I just remember thinking like that's the I took a sip and then I was like I regretted it immediately because they're still to like like miles with all this weight on your back, how about you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, when I used to go, I mean when I used to drink, and when I used to golf before I had children and lost all time to do stuff like that. Uh, you know, I would have beer on the golf course. So six am, oh gez six am.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we used to do.
Speaker 4: I've had I've had a boozy brunch before, which would probably be like eleven or whatever. You know, you have like a bloody mary. Yeah, like in New York that was like standard.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for sure, just got Also, brunch in New York is a real loosey goosey term because I remember thinking like brunch eleven am and then being like, bb, so you have brunch at three pm.
Speaker 5: I'm like, wait, hey, huh huh, hold.
Speaker 4: On, that's just it's just all day, Yeah it is.
Speaker 5: It's just yeah, it's pretty much all day.
Speaker 1: Will you have a really good New York drunk story that I want to hear because we talked about it recently at the live show in New York, and we loved it so much we turned it into a T shirt. So you share it with all our dear listeners.
Speaker 3: To my ever everlasting shame, we did, yes, thank you very much. We Uh so, I drink, but not a huge amount, and I can kind of I can count basically, I can count basically on one hand the amount of times in my life I've been like drunk, drunk.
Speaker 5: Like really really like.
Speaker 3: Inebriated, drunk to the point of slurring speech. And it's that's that's not a normal thing for me. So you, Danielle, introduced my wife and I to two of your oldest friends in Yes.
Speaker 5: Two of my best friends, Julie and Christie live there, live.
Speaker 3: There, and you introduced Sue and I to them, and we instantly stole them and made them our best friends.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, yeah, you literally said that to me, and it's just no longer your friends.
Speaker 5: They are my best friend.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. We did.
Speaker 3: One of the things we did is we took a great picture at your house of the four of us and Sue and I one Christmas. We had it blown up to a full size blanket so it's like this jet and we sent it to them so we were like this, this is how you know that we're your best friends is because you have seven foot tall pictures of us that you can wrap yourself up.
Speaker 4: In a blanket. So we were I was going.
Speaker 3: To New York for I think it was a New York Comic con, and I was going without two and I got there a couple of days early, and of course I called Julian Christie was out of town, yep, And Julie was like, well, let's go out. And I was like, great night in New York. Somebody who lives there. You know, I hadn't been there, and I'd been there time to time, but I hadn't spend any significant amount of time there. And so we did what the kids call a bar crawl, which, yes, it turns out, is just going to a bunch of different places.
Speaker 1: To drink, right, And they call it a crawl because you get so drunk you're crawling.
Speaker 3: Apparently because I was not aware of this. We went to one bar first. We were having a blast. It was so much fun. This was after dinner, so you know, had some food in my stomach. We had a couple drinks at dinner, and then a couple drinks at this first bar, and by the third or fourth bar, I think we were playing darts.
Speaker 4: I don't, I mean, it.
Speaker 3: Just it's it's it's hazy at best.
Speaker 1: At that point, one of My favorite stories from that night is that you said to Julie, Oh, you guys were talking about how terrible you were at darts, and you said, watch this, I'm gonna throw this dart without even looking, and you looked right at her, and you threw a dart and you hit the bull side and the bullside.
Speaker 4: That's a classic Wilford elt.
Speaker 5: It seems like something.
Speaker 4: We will always says, be like, watch this, watch this, and he'll do something crazy and then not be able to replicate it ever again. But he'll do like that first shot, just the luckiest, most skillful for the first time off.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is it's literally something we would have shot for Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World, Like, it's for sure something we would have done.
Speaker 4: That's kind of the last memory I have of the evening.
Speaker 2: Okay, so cut too, so it's optical.
Speaker 3: Flip opt to morning in the hotel.
Speaker 2: I wake up, cover your shot, Hotel.
Speaker 3: New York, and there's we. We come across a middle aged Wilfredell holding his head up in blankets covered ketu in ketchup. I do not know how it's all down the front of my shirt, which is still the shirt I had on from the night before. I looked down at the foot of my bed and because you probably really enjoyed a good meal and you didn't even remember it, So what's the boy? It was a burger, like a tray of obviously, that's the thing is I must have talked to somebody, because it was.
Speaker 6: Delivered to my room right consation with somebody McDonald's. I'll take whatever else.
Speaker 5: That's the best part about knowing you so well.
Speaker 1: You were probably the nicest and funniest, most charming.
Speaker 4: Robably tipped that person his entire wall. He gave it was probably like you probably need one hundred and fifty dollars, just take it off, just take it all. Probably true, and you're right rider.
Speaker 2: I probably called down in order to whop her and they were like, sir, this is.
Speaker 5: This is a hotel.
Speaker 4: Doing that was them. Somebody give me a walney. So I was the boy. Did you know? My day's a president? Star is really good?
Speaker 3: So I am sitting there and I of course call Sue and I'm like, oh, babe, oh, I'm hurting from my head to toe. I can feel my pinky toes. Everything hurts. I'm nauseous, I'm covered in ketchup. We talked for about ten minutes and she's like, well, the pictures you sent were hysterical, and I'm like, what pictures are.
Speaker 4: You talking about?
Speaker 3: And she starts laughing much as Danielle's and it's like, are you kidding? Like no, she goes, go to your phone.
Speaker 5: Go look at the picture.
Speaker 4: I look at the pictures.
Speaker 3: So apparently I called an uber to take me from whatever bar I was at last, to take me to the.
Speaker 5: Hotel, as you're supposed to do, as you're.
Speaker 4: Supposed to do.
Speaker 3: And I guess I asked the driver to stop halfway because I saw the Empire State Building.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was a big moment, and you were thinking of Sue and you were like, man, I wish Sue were here to see the Empire State.
Speaker 5: Building right, share it with her.
Speaker 4: So I took a sa stop.
Speaker 1: Stop, stop, And here is the glory is selfie selfie.
Speaker 4: I love that the picture itself is blurried, much like your vision.
Speaker 5: Everything vision blurry.
Speaker 1: The Empire State Building is okay, but here's the best part.
Speaker 5: So Will sees in his camera phone.
Speaker 1: He sees this picture and he goes, oh gosh, and he scrolls to the next picture and that is the one he decided was Bingo, that's the one to send the ship.
Speaker 5: It look no good. I look now, First.
Speaker 4: Of all, I look like I'm hammered.
Speaker 3: And second of all, I look like I'm sixty.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at my eye I do.
Speaker 4: I look like I am a hundred years old.
Speaker 3: So we of course showed this at our live show in New York and.
Speaker 2: Produce Oh my Gosh, producer.
Speaker 3: Jensen Karr Posmand of this podcast kept just flashing it up on the screen behind us like the entire show.
Speaker 5: Oh my Gosh.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know a lot of very funny people. No one's funnier than Will. But also no one has as many images in their camera phone that can make me cry laughing, Like I start crying, I'm laughing so hard from multiple photos in his phone. Those two he showed those to me. He told me this story on the plane ones and I kept saying, let me see it again. I need to see it again. And then he has pictures where he's super jolly, so.
Speaker 5: So happy, so happy.
Speaker 1: His upper lip completely has disappeared from his face.
Speaker 5: Like it got sucked up into his mouth.
Speaker 4: That's when I was heavier.
Speaker 3: I have pictures I keep in my phone of when I am thirty forty fifty pounds heavier. Whenever I don't want to run or I want to do something bad, I will look at these pictures and I look so happy in some of them because I am because I'm eating with you, or I want and I just don't care, and my shirts are hanging on for dear life, and I'm just so happy.
Speaker 2: But yes, we turn that.
Speaker 4: Turn those photos into a shirt.
Speaker 3: The thing that amazed me, though, have you been seeing all the people that are replicating the photo?
Speaker 1: So gosh, we have the best. We have the best fans in the entire world. We've talked about this so often off air, but my gosh, you guys are truly incredible. But the fans that come out to the live shows and then hear us talk about whatever new story we're going to talk about, and then go out and in their real lives act to actually find the moments or recreate them. So that night of the New York Live Show, immediately after leaving our live show, people went and recreated that photo. Those photos of Will did themselves and then tag to sin them. They're absolutely amazing. We've been reposting them on the pod Mets World Instagram. But for anybody who has ever had a Wilfredell stop the uber, I need to take a picture in front of this Empire's Empire state Building drunk night. We have commemorated the moment in a T shirt and it's available.
Speaker 4: It's because they were screaming merged people started yelling they immediate the show and we were like, that's.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: It is available now at Podmets worldshow dot com. We also made a very special shirt for our Boston. Our Boston show, we had some fantastic crowd.
Speaker 4: Man that crowd. We were aggressive, awesome into it.
Speaker 7: Falcon that was our fault though. It was our fault, yes, go ahead right because we didn't get so the theater had three levels.
Speaker 4: It had a mezzanine and a balcony, but the balcony had a row of really hot lights on it, so when the show was started we couldn't see the We literally didn't know there was a balcony. We only thought there was a mezzanine and that that was the balcony everybody was referring.
Speaker 1: So we kept looking. We were like, we don't see During the costume contest.
Speaker 4: People kept saying, look at the balcony, but they were just showering balcony. We're like, we are, We're looking Until after the show. We didn't realize because then the two people who won the costume contest came down from the balcony basically because the audience forced us to bring them down to the stage, and they were amazing.
Speaker 2: It took them like a half hour to get down to That was the funniest.
Speaker 4: Part of this. They clearly won.
Speaker 5: They never broke character all night.
Speaker 1: Come on, they were in those characters from the moment they entered the theater until the time they left, which is how the entire balcony was even aware that they were there because they appear currently they.
Speaker 5: Literally never broke character.
Speaker 1: I just I'm telling you, you guys.
Speaker 5: Are the best fans in you You are the best.
Speaker 1: The best, and this community that we have created and the inside jokes that we share with you, and the way you guys get into them, and how funny you are and how smart you are. We are blown away by you every single day. So just I'll start crying, so let's not go too far.
Speaker 5: We we love you anyway. Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Daniel Fischl, I'm right or Strong, and I'm Wilfredee.
Speaker 1: So so much has been said about Boy Meets World and the show's fascination with hair. At times, it felt like another star of the sitcom, from the signature middle part to the day I cut mine for the first time on camera. Some of the most memorable moments and images from the show are act actually just the top of our heads. And though my mom had a small moment in time during season one as the guardian of my nighttime braids, there was one person who was professionally put in charge of our precious, long flowing moneymakers as the key hairdresser, and that person was hairstylist Lori Heaps. Laurie joined the show for the upcoming season four and never looked back, so much so that to this day she still cuts all three of our hair and numerous other cast and crew members from Boy Meets World. Also, she returned for Girl Meets World, adding a whole new group of young thesbians to forever go to her when it's time for a cut or color. In addition to our little show, Laurie has also worked on Friends. According to Jim George Lopez rules of engagement, disjointed, the recent I Carly reboot, as well as my wedding and basically every professional photo you see of me. She's the lifeline for our locks and the reason I can't get a lob. Welcome to Pod meets World Hairstyle. Listen to the stars, Lori heaps.
Speaker 4: I should probably have done something with my hair before she got here. Maybe I shouldn't have worn a winter hat covering my hair the entire episode.
Speaker 5: Guys, you didn't think about this at all.
Speaker 4: Yikes, I'm cold, I'm lazy.
Speaker 5: Get a heater.
Speaker 8: There she is. I can't believe I'm doing this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you don't love being on camera.
Speaker 3: You look gorgeous, amazing, thank you, and I know you're nervous.
Speaker 2: So why don't we just open with the song and we'll go from there.
Speaker 5: So go ahead and do the song and dance we told you about you remember my biography, right? Okay?
Speaker 1: Well, way to make her super uncomfortable. So I want to start, Lorie. How many times have I come to you and said, what if I just get a lob? What if I just do a lob? Could you explain to me and to all of our dear listeners, why you're saving me from getting a lob?
Speaker 8: Well, I mean probably a hundred times. Many times have you sent me a picture of like really really short hair?
Speaker 5: So many times like what if we just do this?
Speaker 1: And you always send me back a picture of me basically with what I have now, and you go, what if we do this.
Speaker 8: Now? But you know, the first transformation was a big, big, big big one when we really cut your hair.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was a big one. And what did you going into that? Did you already know exactly what you wanted to do? And how involved was Michael in figuring out what Tapega's new hairstyle was going to be.
Speaker 8: Michael not at all. But he's really really nervous, but he didn't even He was just I trust you. Whatever you're going to do, that's great you and Danielle decide. He didn't have any say, Like when I first met you and your mom like at the salon or something, yeah, and I said we got to cut this hair off and the look of like shock of your mom and you were like what do you what? Like this is the hair you know? And I really wasn't sure if you guys even liked me because I said that, but I knew it's like you were ready for a change. For the hell, yeah, had nothing to do with it. It was like you and I basically there's of hair that was way shorter than I wanted to go. You were like chop it up to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I probably would have gone even shorter. But let's actually go back to the beginning. So how did you get the job on Boy Meets World? Tell us where you were and what happened that you ended up on our set.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I was a salon hairdresser in Beverly Hills. Michael and his wife Patty were my clients and we became friends, and he basically one day to said to me, I don't love the way the hair looks right now. Would you come and cut everybody's hair. You can't go on set because you're not a union hairdresser, And then maybe it'll look better if the person that's doing it is doing your you know, your haircut, it will fix everything. So they set up a stage and you guys came in one by one and I cut everybody's hair. And then Michael said, Ben's mom called and said, I don't want anybody else touching his hair, and then we went through all this red tape to pretty much get me on the show.
Speaker 1: And so then what was that process like, because then obviously you need to start like getting your hours in order to join the union.
Speaker 5: What was that process like for you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I got Michael put me on another show that he was doing, and I got almost all the hours that I needed to be legal to work on a set, and then that show got canceled. So then that's how I went over to Boy Meets World. And then you know, there were a lot of people that didn't want me to come to Boy et Squirrel because that meant somebody had to go, right, So they were, you know, all a big family over there, and everybody was sort of lying to Michael and saying we can't do this because of this rule and that rule. And then Annie Mescalcoal, the makeup artist, went to the union and found out the rules, and then we walked into Michael's office and said, here's how you do it, and he was He called Karen McCain and told her to get it done right in front of us, just screamed better, you know, in his way. And the next week I was working on the show. Wow.
Speaker 1: So, in your opinion, how does hairstyling for the entertainment industry differ from working in a salon? Like, what are some of the key differences between being on a set and being a hairdresser in a salon?
Speaker 8: This is completely different, not in the way of what you're going to do, because the styles are you know, you cut, the hair, you coulor the hair you do whatever, you're going to do the same way. It's just for TV. You have to make sure it stays in place or make sure that it's not creating a shadow right like that, there's no flyaway. So that's that's the only difference. Really, it's not that much different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's.
Speaker 8: Good at it because I had that salon experience, So I just I knew how to do hair and cut hair and so that part was pretty much easy for me. And then you know, things like wigs and stuff like that, like I had to learn. I had no idea how to put a wig on or how to style a wig.
Speaker 1: Were you the one who who styled my wig for the fifties episode?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Wow?
Speaker 5: So you were you were in season.
Speaker 4: Five because I remember Laurie doing my and.
Speaker 5: So you did cool slick backed hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love that hair, hotty hot Hotterson, Ryder over there, I was.
Speaker 8: In your fifties thing that was so cute.
Speaker 2: How much imput did we have in our hair? Were we allowed to cut?
Speaker 3: Because I remember there was times I was like I want to do this, You'd be like no.
Speaker 4: So it was, you know, just wondering.
Speaker 2: I mean could because again, we were anything we.
Speaker 4: Wanted to do. We've talked about this.
Speaker 3: If I wanted to get a tattoo or we wanted to cut our hair, we want you know, it had to go up the chain. So how much were we not even responsible? But how much input did we have and how we were allowed to look on the show.
Speaker 4: I'm curious.
Speaker 8: I mean, you guys like really didn't nobody cared like you guys were like, oh, I'd loved it. Like Ryder at one point was like I got to get rid of this hair. I want to cut this hair off. But you Roder was really the only one. Everybody else was like, what are we doing? Okay? Great, Like nobody really really had any I did. You guys trusted me and whatever I said, let's get a little shorter or let's leave it a little longer on top or whatever I said. You guys would say, okay, great, like you didn't look in the mirror. I'd say, how do you feel? Is that like good? And you'd be like great, you didn't even care, like you were not.
Speaker 5: No, still that way, Yeah, we're still that way.
Speaker 4: We're like, just do it, Just do whatever you gotta do, Just do it.
Speaker 8: I think the only one that was like really really fussy about his hair and not in a bad way, was then, Yeah, it's really like really looked and really looked at every detail, and he wanted to know that I was there on set watching him. You know, if I didn't go in for a take, sometimes you can come out and go with my hair, okay. You know, he was the only one that was I was worried about his hair. You guys were not like it didn't it wasn't something that you cared about. You just trusted me. It was so easy. You guys were so much like you are today, and it's just like so fun and so easy, and so we were just so connected. Immediately. I was just sort of you know, it was my first TV show really and it was just like you want even like celebrities. To me, it was just like you were automatically my friends, just like everyone was so fun and so nice. It was so easy. It was really I guess I was just surprised at what I just talked about and how much you were trusting of me immediately from day one, the day I met you, that I cut everybody's hair.
Speaker 3: I remember, you know what I remember is I remember that as the show was progressing, the makeup and hair room became a place where we would gather.
Speaker 4: Some people outside of the industry realized how much makeup and hair is the site because it's where everybody's getting together right before the show.
Speaker 3: It's there we do all through the line through, line through is all that kind of stuff was all in.
Speaker 4: Them every set. Yeah, but especially on a sitcom sept because that energy, that pre show energy all gathers in that space. Well.
Speaker 1: Also, hairdressers and the makeup artists end up taking on kind of the role of what you think of as like the bartender, where they become the.
Speaker 2: People therapist, yesists.
Speaker 1: Where like you tell that they know all your secrets, who we had crushes on, who we were talking to, things that were going on in our lives.
Speaker 5: The gossip is.
Speaker 1: Going on in there, so like it is, it is a hip happen in place.
Speaker 4: Why do you think Laurie is so nervous about being on this show?
Speaker 5: I can't say anything.
Speaker 3: She knows all, she knows.
Speaker 5: Where the bodies are buried.
Speaker 8: It's like the first time Will fell love and and and Rider with his breakups and girlfriends and yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: Not even don't even go there, Laurie.
Speaker 1: Will you explain what kind of your job was on Like, let's go through a typical tape day.
Speaker 5: What your job was and did you do everyone's hair?
Speaker 8: I did a lot. I did all of you and that okay, right, So that's so typical on a TV show because that's too many people to do and keep track of. Michael wanted. So I did you guys and Ben, and then I had two other people that did the rest of the cast.
Speaker 1: Right, So then you had supporting hairdressers who worked who worked under you, and they did other people.
Speaker 8: Right, They did the rest of the people, They did the guest stars, Trina Maitland, all those people, right, and just you know, come into work and then they start bringing you guys in one by one, and then you know kind of get everybody ready, and then we'd start taping on our on our pre tape day, and then there was a show night and show night. I remember when I first got there, so I had done that one other show, no experience with TV at all, and they were like, okay, let's go, let's come out for cast intros. And it was the girls and the audience. It was so the screaming for Will and Writerer was I couldn't. I hadn't leave the stage. It was like fels were there.
Speaker 1: It was writer remembers, Oh yeah, right, you remember to this day.
Speaker 3: I remember when the show progressed, they were I was up, so I had the long hair.
Speaker 4: And then when we did.
Speaker 3: The The Weatherman episode, they called me aside and said that a network note had come down that I had to cut my hair.
Speaker 4: And I was really bummed that I had to cut all my hair off.
Speaker 3: That was the week Jeff McCracken ended up cutting his own hair off with scissors to make me feel better.
Speaker 2: And it's such a McCracken thing.
Speaker 3: But then I grew it out again, and I remember when you then took over for my long hair.
Speaker 2: It took for forever, like you blew out.
Speaker 3: My hair into you know, individual strands, and I was in the chair for like forty five minutes to paina.
Speaker 8: I wasn't the only one with amazing hair like you had this amazing bit perfect, luxurious hair. But it did take me a long time that blow dry it and get it straight well.
Speaker 4: And then we started straightening my hair. Remember we started using chemical straightener, did we? I forgot about it, Yes, because every week because my hair now it's actually a little straighter than it was back back then my hair was so wavy yea, that every week you would have to h flat iron it or blow dry it straight.
Speaker 8: Day the minute you like jumped around and got sweat exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, so we so I think around like season six, you guys started you started chemically straightening my hair.
Speaker 8: That work. I can't remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we did it. We did it every couple of months, Laurie.
Speaker 1: Do you remember any styles or ideas you had that were rejected?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 8: No, they never rejected anything. I just kind of did stuff And I never remember getting any kind of note or saying you can't do that.
Speaker 1: Because I do remember you had carte blanche and you would try stuff. You'd say, let's do this, and then we'd get out there on cameras sometimes and you go, I don't like it, I'm changing it, I'm taking it down, or I'm pulling this out. Like you had freedom to try things, and then you were usually the person who would say that's that's not for me.
Speaker 5: I don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: Let's take that out, not somebody else, or usually it's somebody else looking at a monitor going what is that.
Speaker 5: I don't like that, Let's let's fix that.
Speaker 1: So that's really nice that you know, Michael trusted you so much that he brought you on and just said, please work your magic and let you do it.
Speaker 8: Yeah. He It was great working with him because he would he did trust me, and he would come to me if he had like anything, like he thought, is that to you much? I would say no, no, it's.
Speaker 9: Fine, he would.
Speaker 8: The only time that but it heads with him was on Girl Meets World, where he wanted their hair to be bigger, bigger all the time, like right, make it fuller, and I would fight him on that. But other than that, it was just like no, it was whatever, whatever, whatever he wanted to do, would just and you guys went along with anything. I said too, it was just so easy.
Speaker 1: Well, in your intro, I named some of the shows that you've worked for previously, and one of those shows was Friends.
Speaker 5: What was it like working on that show? And how many episodes did you do?
Speaker 8: I think I did like five or six episodes. The guy I was working with on Mad About You was doing Friends, and he brought me in to do like some guest stars. And then it was sort of like gearing up for the Monica Chandler wedding, and so I was doing Morgan Fairchild and Elliott Gould, you know, the parents of Chandler. Cool sure, and then they they loved me and they asked, can she come? We want you to come back, and we want you to do our hair. So he brought me back for all the pre wedding and wedding episodes and stuff. It was really, really fun. It was a sort of similar to Binet's world, where everybody was friends and it was just a big party. I remember on the very first day that I was working there, they put me in my own little, small hair room and then there was a big hair room where the rest of the cast went. And Jonathan said to me, he was the guy that I worked with. Can you go get me some lunch and get yourself some lunch and then come back in the big hair room and we're going to eat lunch in there. So I had all these, you know, my lunch and his lunch in my hand. I'm struggling. I opened the door and I get in there and the entire cast is in there eating there lunch. And I thought, did I walk into the wrong.
Speaker 5: Room And You're like, oh sorry.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, I'm so sorry, and they were like, no, get in here, and I was like, well, jovans had to come in here together, come and eat lunch with us, Come and sit down. And I was like no, no, no, I'm good, I'm good, I'm good. I put this down here and I was trying to leave, and like Courtney got up out of her chair and was like, you sit down and have lunch with us right now. Like they were so nice and so I didn't even know who I was, Like that was the first time I even met them. So it was a good experience. It was really fun, all right.
Speaker 2: So I have a question for you.
Speaker 3: You don't need to say any names, you don't need to say what show.
Speaker 4: You don't need to say anything like that.
Speaker 3: But what's the strangest like hair request you've ever gotten from somebody?
Speaker 4: Was it me braiding my hair? You actually did it in I went into Beverly Hills, into your salon, and you braided my hair there. Do you remember that I did it? I don't know if you did it, but you courted, you had somebody in the salon do it for me. I remember going like retrospect was like I went all the way you wanted your hair like that?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, every summer I would want in my hair. But the first time I did it, I had told I explained it to you, and you were like, okay, good. I just love that you were amenable to like make that happen, Like you brought me into the salon and I had it all summer that it was so cute.
Speaker 8: I forgot about that. I got so many things I could. I'm forgetting about the strangest thing that happened to me like this was I was I'm mad about you. And Bruce Willis was a guest and he came in the room all the hair and makeup people were, and he said, who wants to cut my hair? And nobody answered, And so I went I'll do it. And so I took him in to do a haircut, and he kept saying shorter on the side, shorter on the sides, and I was going as short as I possibly could go, like the hair could not get any shorter, and he went, no, no, shorter, and he grabbed the clippers off of the station and went just like this, and he just shaved oh in the side of his head like a giant lying bald inside on the side of his head. And you know, I wasn't like upset because he did it. So I was like, Okay, do you want me to match the other side or do you want makeup to come in here and put some makeup on that? What do you want to do now? So the producers had to come in and we were doing like a die hard kind of thing where he was bloodied up in bandaged, so they bandaged up his head and covered up.
Speaker 1: He's, my gosh, I.
Speaker 2: Love it shaving your own head.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 1: Are there any products or tools that you swear by, Like what's in your must have kit?
Speaker 8: My Dyson hair dryer the best?
Speaker 3: Got one for Sue after you told me too, You're like, you've got to get her one of these.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I love the Dyson hair dryer, and I love the Dyson the ones who are like at home that you can use because air wrap the air rap.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is there any advice that you or something you've learned throughout your career that you would share with aspiring hairstylists who are looking to get into the entertainment industry, because worth noting, this is a field AI can't really take over. So any advice you'd share with aspiring hairdressers, you know, I always.
Speaker 8: Tell people that asked me that, just to learn your craft and assist to somebody. That's how I started. I worked my way up assisting and just assisting and watching people and learning and working for people that you respect and just learning from them is the best way to do it.
Speaker 1: Such good advice, So really quickly, I want to touch on Girl Meets World, a show you you were also the key hairdresser on. What was it like returning to the show twenty years later and seeing a whole new crop of little ones going through the same things we went through in exactly and almost exactly the same setting.
Speaker 8: It was so much fun, and you guys were there to like guide them, but it was just so fun. And they were also like, you guys, they just let me do whatever they whatever I wanted. Yeah, that was the show where Michael did have like more to say. You know, I had excite a little bit for what I thought it should be. Like.
Speaker 1: He loved the big still like the Topanga big curls or the Carrie Russell big curls, and modern hair just isn't isn't like that, And so Laurie was constantly trying to keep the show modern and fresh, and the girls were very much on Laurie's page. So Laurie and the girls were always like, can we settle this down? Although Sabrina likes a big hair, Sabrina likes a Sabrina likes big hair.
Speaker 8: I just wanted to, you know, to do her job and please everybody. So if she knew Michael wanted big hair, she was she would say, she asked like she would want whatever whatever he wanted. You know, she didn't, she didn't. She just wanted to, you know, make sure she's so professional, just like, is everything the way everybody wants it?
Speaker 5: Am I doing?
Speaker 8: That's right? Is my hair big enough? You know? And then we did a Halloween episode where I did crazy big hair on both of the girls with circus costumes. Do you remember that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: What were their costumes?
Speaker 5: They were? Wasn't it steampunk?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: That's right? And their hair was really cute but really big. I wish I had a picture of that. And Michael came up to me at craft service and was like, I'm going to tell you something. Where their hair is today? I want That's how I wanted to look.
Speaker 2: The Halloween episode of course, Oh my god, I love it well.
Speaker 4: I wish we had done that with me with the nineteen fifties hair. I should have just kept that for.
Speaker 2: So Daniels would not have let you get away with not dating.
Speaker 4: I was like, dance and slip back hair manses telling me crazy.
Speaker 5: So we are.
Speaker 1: We want to play a little picture game with you. We pulled some pictures, so let's start. We're also going to put all these pictures on Instagram so our dear listener get to see them as well and know exactly what we're talking about. Let's start with maybe the most memorable memorable day regarding hair on set. This is from Hair Today Goon Tomorrow, where I cut my hair. What do you remember about this day?
Speaker 8: You know, everybody was so nervous. Yeah, day, it was so tense. You and I were not nervous.
Speaker 5: I know, we're the.
Speaker 8: Only ones that were not nervous. We were just like, everybody, calm down, It's just going to be fine.
Speaker 5: It's going to be fine.
Speaker 8: Who was pacing and pacing and pacing and coming up to me, It's gonna be okay, Right, It's gonna be okay. I think I punched him at one point. I can't, You've got to stop doing this to me because I didn't want to get nervous, Like in my head, I was just like fearless, like this is going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think you were getting a crew cut? You cat like four inches off.
Speaker 5: Nerve four inches. It was a full I think it was a full foot.
Speaker 2: Was it a foot?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was definitely a full foot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It was at least twelve inches, if not fourteen inches that we cut off. But yes, I remember there being a lot of stress, and Jeff McCracken was very stressed because Michael was very stressed, and so Michael was putting the pressure on Jeff McCracken. And we had you know, we only had one opportunity to get the actual cut across the hair right. And then my favorite thing is that Laurie had to do. So I took that one chop at my hair that you see on the show, and then after that, when I walk up to the hallway like mirror, you know, in the locker, my hair had to be yeah, and my hair had to be different layers, so Laurie had to go in and then cut it multiple ways where it's like, you know, super choppy. And then that was on a Wednesday, and I went home that night with that super choppy hair because the next day, Thursday, we had more stuff we needed to pre tape before the actual haircut, so I had I remember going to Steiner with my parents after the episode ended with super choppy hair, and that was really fun. And then I knew the next day, here it comes, I'm going to get this amazing haircut. So yeah, what do you remember about coming up with this long layer's style, Laurie, I.
Speaker 8: Just knew that that's what I wanted to do. Your character was growing up and she wasn't a little girl anymore, and I just I knew it. I just I just wanted to do it, like from like five days after I met you.
Speaker 5: So much fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, here is a picture of Will with a sportsball and yeah, this is basically kind of what he looks like where we are right now in our show recap, like middle to end of season three.
Speaker 5: What is you like?
Speaker 1: What is how did you decide on this look? And what's your favorite Wilfredell haircut?
Speaker 5: Look?
Speaker 1: You can talk about just the specific like what you would call this this style if you want know what I would call it.
Speaker 8: I just remember when I met Well, there was a lot of like there was it was really heavy on top. I sort of had to like take a lot of weight out and kind of thin it out so that it opened up his face. It wasn't like hanging like, you know, like covering his face for that look. I love the long hair, the longer hair too on Will, Like he isn't the picture that you're going to show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's another picture the next one. Let's go to number three.
Speaker 5: Will Ooh, look at that smolder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the smolder.
Speaker 8: Love that look too for Will.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I liked I.
Speaker 3: Like having the long hair. But again we've talked about this, Laura. For it to look like that, you have to live with me because I can't ever get it to look like that by myself.
Speaker 2: I just couldn't.
Speaker 8: I likes in there, didn't We We did?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did highlights him. We got a little blonde there, which is nice.
Speaker 5: A little blonde action, little little bay watch going on.
Speaker 3: There is a little bay watch going on there. If we're going to run down the beach, go save somebody.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and yeah, you're right. Your hair also has a little bit of what Riders does where it gets kind of curly over here on the sides, and so it really does. When your hair is long, it looks best when you blow dry your hair with.
Speaker 5: A round brush. Yeah, will Fredell.
Speaker 1: If there's one thing I've learned, will Fredell is not going to spend the time by himself blow drying his hair with a round brush.
Speaker 5: It's easier.
Speaker 4: He would never get wings. I would get wings.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I got them in the back at the bottom where I am.
Speaker 4: It looks good.
Speaker 3: But we would joke that it was the Carol Brady. So I would always go, oh, Mike every time that my hair did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of Rider, let's move on first with this.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, this uh.
Speaker 8: Shocked a nice would me see that curl on the front, Like I didn't want that there. It would just curl up and it looks like a wave. I would fight, even though I think it looks right right now. Back then, I remember thinking I wanted it straighter. You know, that was like the nineties kind of look, and I wanted it to be straighter there. But it looks amazing.
Speaker 1: I know, it's so gorgeous. But yeah, I do remember that would be a thing. You'd run out and like put some product on your hair and try to brush it so that it wouldn't do that wave this way. It would go back this way, like back away from his face instead of toward his face.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: By the time you were on the show, I had finally stopped touching. And when we watched the first two seasons, especially the first season, I am constantly it's like such a nervous habit.
Speaker 5: Handswer the hair, answer the hair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 8: Yeah. You know you guys like you were kids, you know, and so you know, writer, you were always just like in between takes, you and Ben would be like goofing off and dancing and jumping around and you know, throwing each other on the couch and I would just be standing there going, oh my god, stopping it again.
Speaker 1: Did you think it was crazy, LORI, when kids all over the US were getting this like butt cut haircut.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know, I guess I just wasn't. It wasn't until later that I realized that trends were set with their haircuts. You know, I do think about it at the time, But people like in the audience, if they knew we all got a haircut, there would be people hanging down from the audience asking me to buy Could I get some hair from the floor?
Speaker 5: Oh no, that's right, I just remembered.
Speaker 1: Do you remember Do you remember putting pieces of my hair in a baggy from the haircut and we gave them to people in the audience.
Speaker 8: No, we did.
Speaker 5: We did.
Speaker 4: Wow, somebody's cloning you right now.
Speaker 5: Somebody's got chunks of my hair and a ziplock baggy.
Speaker 4: Oh that's not creepy at all. Yeah, that sounds creepy.
Speaker 5: So then let's go to another picture of rider. We've got short hair, good tea.
Speaker 4: Right near the end. What do you remember tea and the ear? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you remember about doing this short haircut on him?
Speaker 8: That was one that scared me because I just wasn't sure, do you know what I mean? Like with you, it's just like a cut it off. It's gonna work way. But with that cutting that, I was like, I just I'm not sure. But I loved it, and you loved it too, right.
Speaker 4: Writer, Oh my god. Yeah. I fought for it for so long and we finally got it. I remember just being like, yes.
Speaker 8: Good and then I just just it just did whatever we wanted it to do, and we didn't have to worry about just straight and keeping it out of your face. I love how that looks.
Speaker 1: I also love how much it looks like the guy in the background is just smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 3: I say, it's all I've been looking at, is that guy back there smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 1: Again, we will put these pictures up on Instagram so you guys get a chance to see what we see. Let's go to another Topanga picture, this one. I've got a clip in the front holding back some of my layers. I don't remember doing a lot of accessorizing, do you, Laurie, Do.
Speaker 5: You remember using a lot of accessories in my hair?
Speaker 8: No, we didn't do it a lot. You want to know why? Yeah, so much hair I find accessories that would would stay in your hair because you had too much hair, they were too small. So now that clips in particular, like I could shit that. That looks so good. I would do that on your hair today.
Speaker 5: I know it's so cute.
Speaker 1: Why do we not? Why have we not done this recently? Well, okay, I'm saving this as inspo. And then another memorable hair day from Tapanga's Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 5: Episode that looks great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, isn't that cute? I love that look. I love a little uh.
Speaker 8: Get that a lot, a little messy different ways, but yeah, you always love that. And you love those little pieces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, love some pieces, love some dangling pieces, love a little poof.
Speaker 8: You loved it. It was so cute. I remember we did that one a lot.
Speaker 2: Is that fluffy? Is that technically flufy?
Speaker 5: That's pretty fluffy volume.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm just checking.
Speaker 3: I want to make sure that we get this definition of fluffy down more for.
Speaker 1: When you don't have an accessory in your hair, but your hair is still poop poofy and fluffy.
Speaker 5: It's that's really what flufy is. It's okay, fluffy.
Speaker 4: Poof but minus accessories.
Speaker 1: But no accessories, because this is this is poofy partially based on accessories. We've got it, You've got that little top part pulls into a high pony forced poof Yeah, a little bit of a touch. Yeah, you still see what you see what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: I'm picking up what you're putting down.
Speaker 1: And then maybe the best work of Laurie's career. Here are Ben and Ryder as Cora and Veronica was boy Ski. What do you remember about these wigs, Laurie? And why is Rider such a good looking woman?
Speaker 8: Okay, this was probably the only day of my whole experience on boy Mes World that there were twelve people in the room saying no, no, no, no no, and then they loved it right away. And I still love that wig. I think it looks great. But of course I didn't know how to do wis and so I was faking it and trying to like make writer or look like a girl, and it came out. Okay, but that looks gorgeous. That was tough. I have a picture. I don't know, Can I show a picture of me?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: That's it is doing that. But this is my memory of that day.
Speaker 4: So stressed out, everybody.
Speaker 8: On set kept coming up to me and saying Writer looks like you as a girl. And I would look at Writer and be like, oh I do.
Speaker 9: Everybody would.
Speaker 8: But if you look at that kind of yes, how it.
Speaker 5: Does it kind of does? You had banks.
Speaker 8: Ecue meday because everybody was coming up to me and saying that, and it was just.
Speaker 5: That is so funny.
Speaker 4: That was that was a lot of pressure. I mean that that I mean you think about what they wrote into the script was already it was written into the script that Ben makes a not attractive girl. So then they do me and I'm it's in the script that I am convincing and beautiful and all these jokes about it, and all that meant was that pressure on you and Annie to make it good like and I remember it was like okay, let's do this, and like Annie did all these like tape to like pull my face back and like you guys spend hours. It was a lot of work.
Speaker 8: It's a lot of work. I remember, like Susan in the room going what make it? You know, change it? Everybody was giving me notes. But I also remember, like writer, I don't know if you remember, like you had a hard time with it. I remember you were like you guys didn't get nervous before things. You were really nervous. And also you couldn't like, you couldn't walk like a girl. They had to change the shoes because you were having trouble.
Speaker 4: No, but I do remember it was not It was a confusing week and retro respect, I should have been more chill about it. But I think on one hand, I wanted to I wanted to do the role because I thought it was a cool acting challenge, like, oh, I got I'm going to be playing a woman or playing a man pretending to be a woman who's good at being a woman. And I remember thinking that was cool, But then so many people kept being like, you're so attractive as a girl. I can't believe it, And it was like over and over again to a point where it's like, yeah, that's the point, like we have an entire makeup and hair and wardrobe department whose job has been to make me attractive, and yes it worked, And I remember starting to feel like, is this a bad thing? Like it reflected on me in some way that was negative at the time. Now I would just be like, come on, that's so cool. But at the age of sixteen, yeah, I think it threatened me in some way, or I don't know, it made me feel like maybe there's something feminine about me that, which is so stupid, but I was insecure. I remember feeling weird about it, which is a bummer.
Speaker 5: That is weird because yeah, the fact that it was.
Speaker 1: If anything, I was thinking that the reason you would have felt frustrated by that week was because you're not the type to enjoy hours of getting yourself to an aesthetic place where everyone's complimenting you. You'd rather look natural and rugged, and so if anything, I thought it was more like, my gosh, all this emphasis and it's it's annoying me. But it was actually that they did such a good job making you look convincingly femininely beautiful that it you felt a little offended.
Speaker 3: Almost well it's yeah, nice too, But it was because yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think it was also the implication that there was something like, I don't know, because you're less of a.
Speaker 3: Man because you could pull off being a good looking woman, which, of course, in retrospect is ridiculous, but you're when you're a teenager.
Speaker 4: It's the nineties. That was what it was.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's some of the worst insults you could tell your guy friends were, you know, saying you were a woman or how you're feminine.
Speaker 4: It was totally so that was ex implication. So it's just the implication was that I was pretty right, you know, and like and even if I was still a boy, I was a pretty boy and which I didn't want to be. And it was like that was just like a thing I didn't Yeah, which is like I said in retrospect, just have fun with it, to go with it, you know. But I was too insecure at that age in that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, lastly, we pulled a Girl Meets World picture just to talk about some of the looks you brought to that show.
Speaker 5: Let's see that picture. Oh, this is a writer directed this episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Rodeo episode. We're doing this long lens outside. The girls were like, yeah, twenty feet away from the cameras at this point to get this shot.
Speaker 5: But yeah, do you remember this week Lorii?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I just I remember being on location there. Their hair looks really good.
Speaker 5: It's like it looks gorgeous.
Speaker 8: Michael not there that day, and I got to.
Speaker 4: Do Michael took a back seat that entire day because it was so stressful.
Speaker 5: Man, I love that hair for both of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks great.
Speaker 8: Rowan's wearing ponytails. And later on maybe they had hats on. I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say there must have been. Maybe there was a reason you got to do tone down hair because later they have cowboy hats on or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh that's right.
Speaker 8: Maybe the cat the hats came up, and so we got to just do the hair like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks really great, my gird everything, what all.
Speaker 8: I'm so flattered by it, you know. Sabrina is just Yeah. I got pictures from her yesterday of like how good my hair looks. And she's on tour with Taylor Swift and she's so busy and she took the time to send me these pictures. Is so amazing and so so c you.
Speaker 1: I know, I love whenever she's in town. She's always like, I'm on my way to go see Lourie.
Speaker 5: What are you doing? Come meet me.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's the only way Sabrina and I get to see each other is if we meet over at Lorie's house, where we both spend hours having our our haircut and colored.
Speaker 3: Rder and I were just there, but just hanging out talking right before the last shows, like, all right, well let's go hang out at Lorie's so much fun.
Speaker 1: Well, Laurie, thank you so much for spending your time with us today and most importantly, for spending your time with us all those years ago when we were awkward, bubbling teenagers. Thank you for making our hair, our legendary hair legendary. Without you, it just wouldn't have been the same. We love you so much. You are a friend for always, and we love you and appreciate you so much.
Speaker 8: Awkward were never awkward?
Speaker 2: I disagree, Laurie.
Speaker 5: Where can people find you if they want to see you? Where can they find you?
Speaker 8: I guess my instagram is underscore hair by Laurie l A U R I E.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for joining us. We love you so much fun.
Speaker 4: She's so talented, I know. I mean I think I took it for granted, you know, as a teenager, I just thought like, well, if you're a haircut person, you are good at it. And of course the reality is like a lot of people cut hair and are not good at it. A lot of people cut hair in the film and television industry and aren't that good at it. She has amazing taste and amazing ability, and those two things in combination. It's like, yeah, there's it's no wonder that that Boy Meets World has this sort of hair reputation and that, you know, Michael picked her out of relative obscurity, you know, because he recognized her talent and her taste. And yes, she's just good.
Speaker 2: She also knows all the secrets too. That's what I love that she knows the bois she does.
Speaker 1: I forgot until she mentioned that that I went to the salon that that is that I was seeing her like he brought. He brought laur On for us to get that haircut before she officially made her way onto Boy Meets World. But then I started going to her for color. So I would go to her old salon. She worked at a salon called Yuki SHARONI I remember it very well, and I would go my mom and I would drive to Beverly Hills and she'd color my hair. And she was the very first person to say to me, let's cut this, Let's cut this off. And then once that was in my head, it's all I wanted. Sand did that seed, and I was like, all I want is to cut my hair. All I want is to cut my hair and it just started my mission. So so great to see her. Thank you guys for joining us for this episode of Podmeets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram Podmeets World Show. You can send us your emails Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com and we have March.
Speaker 4: Fluvi March.
Speaker 1: Merch fluvimrch Podmeetsworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 4: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 3: Podmeats World is nheart podcast produce and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfordell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddie Moore engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by KYLEM. Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmetsworldshow at gmail dot com