Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour. It's a Meat Friday. Just went out to inspect the Rectech grills.
Speaker 2: The menu.
Speaker 3: It is looking great. Chef Greg is in from Rectech making it look easy.
Speaker 2: Dylan. The menu for Meat Friday.
Speaker 4: We've got our brisket in budan egg rolls, our brisket, Philly Pete sandwich, and smoked beef back ribs. Who is it better than we do? No body all right?
Speaker 3: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. We'll talk to Kirk Herb Street. He was at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night. We'll talk to Herbie. Your phone calls in the final hour of the program. Will do our best to squeeze in as many as possible. My Golden Knights are down three to two series, going back to Vegas and the Hurricanes up four to two in last night's game. They lead three to two in the series. Nicks, they will be five and a half point underdog in San Antonio. That'll be Game five. That'll be Saturday at eight thirty Eastern on ABC. Poll question from the previous two hours, Dylan, and what'll be going with final hour on this meet Friday?
Speaker 5: All right, Dan?
Speaker 4: So we asked the people, so the World Cup dot dot dot, my Cup runneth over or nil? I mean nah? Fifty four percent say nil, I mean nah? Okay, And you can have free tickets to one of these, the NBA finals, the Stanley Cup final or the World Cup.
Speaker 6: Forty percent say Stanley Cup Final.
Speaker 7: So clickup gets a.
Speaker 6: Lot of love.
Speaker 3: It's a great event to go to. But I would I haven't been to the World Cup. I did bid on a charity item. It was a I don't.
Speaker 2: Know what round.
Speaker 3: This would have been, probably an early match at the Meadowlands Boys and Girls Club had a charity auction and I tried to bid on tickets. I don't know was Brazil Brazil playing in the metal Lands, but I think they were playing, you know, maybe an inferior country. But the tickets were six thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I love the Boys and Girls Club, but that got a little steep there to go see a World Cup match.
Speaker 2: Yes to Dylan, you.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't pay that for Bosnia Verus Canada.
Speaker 2: I would not. I would not.
Speaker 6: What about Bosnia and Herzego Universe Canada.
Speaker 2: Oh both of them. That's different, yes, Paul.
Speaker 8: I think Brazil's got Morocco tomorrow night and then they've got Scotland in a couple of days whatever.
Speaker 3: This match was at the Meadowlands and I think it was six thousand dollars. Here's another thing that's lost on people. They're like James Dolan, the Knicks owner. He is making a killing during the NBA Finals. Okay, he is because his team is in the NBA Finals, but he's not the one who is making the secondary market profits here. And he did give away two seats. I think that they were somebody donated. He donated two seats courts a million dollars and the money went to a charity. So there's a viewing party. He is picking up the tab for that. I don't I don't know why we're singling out James Dolan. And look, I don't know James Dolan, But like, what other team or owner do we do this that you're not some benevolent soul in are I don't know. When the Lakers go to the finals, do we say or did the bus family give away I don't know A thousand tickets. James Dolan doesn't make the profit on the secondary market. He has ticket prices, he doesn't go, I want to jack these up to thirteen thousand. I probably wish as he could, yes, Dylan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So if you want to know who really profits, one it's the people reselling their tickets for astronomical things, and two it's these stub ups and ticket masters of the world. Like I just looked up two tickets to the game six fourteen thousand bucks a pop. It's actually twelve thousand bucks a pop and twenty three hundred dollars in fees per ticket. So Stubhubb will make about five grand and fees on that ticket.
Speaker 3: Purger This week Sunday Night Baseball Rangers and the Red Sox. You can watch it on NBC and Peacock. He is Kirk Kirk Street and ESPN college football analyst and apparently a big time celebrity. Sitting courtside there with all the famous people. How'd you come upon the tickets there?
Speaker 9: Herbie definitely not a celebrity. Mark Shapiro asked me to go, and I'm not a Rabbit NBA fan, but I'm a sports fan, and he took me to the Olympics back in February, which was a really cool experience, and he asked me to go to Game four. I couldn't make Game three because we were doing an Amazon marketing shoot on Monday night.
Speaker 7: So he said, can you make Game four? And I said, yeah, love to. So I just came over. Didn't know a whole lot. Again, I don't watch the NBA.
Speaker 9: I'm not really a Rabbid fan, but man, I just got caught. I actually went there just enjoyed the story of San Antonio seeing if they could come back from being down two and kind of like quietly saying, man, I hope they can win this game.
Speaker 7: And then they're up to twenty nine. Then you know how it is.
Speaker 9: You start as a broadcaster, you start kind of pulling for a story, and the Knicks started to make a run. You just kind of get caught up in in the Knicks coming back in.
Speaker 7: Madison Square Garden. It was just it was just epic.
Speaker 9: It was a top five, maybe top two or three sporting event that I've ever attended. And I think because they were down twenty nine and their fans never gave up and they just kept coming back, and that fourth quarter there were so many possessions where you're just like, I can't believe.
Speaker 7: First of all, I'm witnessing it, and the coach if.
Speaker 9: He could just get out of my ways, like like see, you know, it was it was a just I love sports. I just I love competition. I love the energy that sports provide. And I was just grateful to be there and and just to take it all in. I just that when it's that kind of thing, you just shoot it into my veins, you know. It's why I love it.
Speaker 3: Mark Shapiro used to be the president of ESPN, famous agent now to the Stars. I was wondering, is there a football comp to what you saw with the Knicks and the Spurs.
Speaker 7: I'm sure there's a game over the years that.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: I mean, going way back, I didn't see it, but I'm just as a fan watching. I mean, when Buffalo was up or Houston was up huge on Buffalo and Frank w Reich brought him back.
Speaker 2: You know you remember that Whene, Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, but recently maybe you're some of your your fans would remember one.
Speaker 7: I just I just cannot remember.
Speaker 9: I was even thinking about, you know, because it's gonna be a mad scene outside of the arena. By the end of the third quarter, I was just gonna thank Mark and yeah, I was like, maybe it's time to go. But then, you know, I'm just kind of It was a great group of guys.
Speaker 7: I mean, I've never met any of them.
Speaker 9: John macroe met John McEnroe, Larry David, Don Johnson, Mark myself.
Speaker 7: We're just what's cool.
Speaker 9: Is when you go to an event like that every and there's a couple of people to my right. I had no idea who they were, were high five in each other. It's just everybody just kind of checks whatever you are and who whatever you do. Just just become fans, right, you just just kind of caught up in the game and talking about the strategy and and to be right where we were, like I said, the coach is the only hindrance was like the coach getting in the way.
Speaker 7: I mean, are you kidding me?
Speaker 9: It was just and then and then they we kept saying, boy, if they can get it to fifteen, you never know. They get it to fifteen, and they got it to fourteen, and we're like, I'm like, dude, they get it under ten, this is gonna get serious, you know. And then they get it under ten or then you just kind of get caught up and like, holy shit, this this might happen, you know. So that's that's the essence of I think why we love these kind of story. I mean, you feel bad San Antonio. You think about this series. You could argue that they've they've could have won any of these games, and here they are down three to one going back home. So I wonder, can they get up off the matt after squandering a twenty nine point lead to tie this series up?
Speaker 7: Can they go back home.
Speaker 9: Tomorrow night and and get it the three to two to go back to the garden.
Speaker 11: Can't?
Speaker 7: I can't now, I'm now I'm locked in emotionally.
Speaker 3: But you know, when when it comes to baseball and it comes to basketball, it's the best of seven.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: With football, it's just we got to win this game. That's it. And I wonder how history would be changed. Now I can't have players play seven games, you know, seven game series, But I wonder how history would be changed if it wasn't just one game, because there are times when you go on that day they were better. But if they played nine more times, that team is going to win.
Speaker 9: Well, if you think just back to the Olympics with Team USA against Canada. I mean, you could make that argument if that's if those two teams played ten times or five times. You know, I don't know if you USA wins a whole lot of those games. But like Kurt Russell said, and of course that in the movie, it's tonight, we're the best team. And I think you can debate and argue what's better. You know that one time put it together, find a way to do it, pull off a miracle, or over a seven game series, you're truly gonna find out who the better team is, right, I mean there's some ebb and flow and ups and downs. I don't know, I can kind of see that. I can see it on both sides of it. Really, I think there's something really special about for sixty minutes, we're gonna put it together. They might on paper have a better team, but we're gonna find there's something kind of cool about that as well.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: Just imagine if we go back to the seventy six ers with Alan Iverson, they open up the NBA Finals, they win Game one. If it was one and done, the Sixers would have won the title over right, one of the great teams of all time. Yeah, we're talking to Kirk kerb Street. I don't know if these fans are these celebrities there ask you college football questions like this Brendan Sooresby thing. It feels like it's crossed over, like this isn't a college football this is everybody's got an opinion on this. So your thoughts on the judge's ruling and what happens as we move forward.
Speaker 9: Well, I think what you said about gambling, and everybody's been talking about it since you know, you don't have to go to Vegas or have a bookie, you know, now you just do it on your phone. And everybody's been concerned about how this would impact the athletes themselves, and you know, the NFL and the professional sports have made a pretty strong statement. You know, we've seen NFL players that have been removed for seasons because they got caught up in doing this.
Speaker 7: And I think the biggest.
Speaker 9: Thing for me and I think all of us that follow college football is you know, who's the governing body over the sport and what power does that governing body have if any. The NCAA, when they found out about this, they ruled him ineligible, and like we've seen in many other cases, when somebody finds out that the NC DOUBLEA didn't give them the answer they want, they go, no problem, We're just going to go to our local jurisdiction, local judge and find out if we can make this happen. And I think the perception is that the judge shows up in a black suit, in this case in a red tie and ask for an autograph after the proceedings. And I think that the perception of how the sport is spinning out of control and there isn't anybody in charge, let alone the gambling part of it.
Speaker 7: You know that it's I don't know, Brandon Soresby.
Speaker 9: I feel bad about the whole situation, but you know, if this were my son and he did what was it, nine thousand bets and I don't know how much or how little he bet on. It's just a premise behind what has happened here, and the fact that the NC DOUBA ruled that he is ineligible and then once again we find a local judge. It's just it's it's sickening that if you don't hear what you like, you can just go to your local your local judge and find the answer that you want.
Speaker 7: I just don't know where this ends. If this is where we are right now.
Speaker 9: Pretty much you do whatever the hell you want to do in this sport, and if anybody says anything, just find a local judge to tell you the answer you want to get.
Speaker 3: What's like trinid dad shambliss h Just get a local judge because they want to they want to do right, they want to do right by the university. And yeah, it's kind of a home field advantage there.
Speaker 9: And I think Dan one thing I think for fans to understand, we think about where we were ten years ago. You know, players had zero say in anything, and we've gone from players having zero say to this player's empowerment, where now they have all to say.
Speaker 7: And what I worry about. I'm a father.
Speaker 9: I have four sons and all of them have played in college football. And I'm not old guy yelling at the clouds. I care about the players. I care about not just Hey, if if they're going to do nil and they're going to pay the players, I think we've all kind of accepted that's that's where are. I think the two biggest issues are the pay for play like you're bribing a kid to come to your school. Swarsby's making whatever it is, four or five million dollars just this year to play at Texas Tech. That number two years ago would have been a million dollars. Now a couple of years later, he's, you know, at five million. Two years from now, maybe it's ten million, you know, to go and play. What do we What are we teaching? A great thing about football is it teaches you so many valuable lessons about life, about team, about perseverance, about getting your ass knocked down and getting back up, and hey, I didn't score the winning touchdown, but this guy did and we won, and just embracing all of those those, uh like, I think are life skills, and I think we're taking that away from these kids. So what happens to these guys when they live this lifestyle and then they don't go to the NFL, which is ninety eight percent of them. You can imagine what they're going to be like when those checks stop coming in. I just and I don't think we're thinking we're not preparing these these guys for real life. So I think we're all okay with him making money. But I think The concern is where this is heading five years from now, ten years from now with I think there's going to be a lot of issues with these guys when they don't make that bag doesn't keep coming and they have to go get a job and what do you do now? So I think there's big concerns down the road. I'm not blocking players and letting them have money and all that. I just think we need to still be the adults in the room and still reinforce some really important heart Like I had coaches that at the time I couldn't stand and then you become a husband and an employee and a father and you're like, thank God, I had that coach that maybe I didn't agree with, but man, he taught me some really tough lessons. And I think we're taking in college right now, we're taking some of those those life lessons away.
Speaker 3: Well, you talk about grown ups in the room, The problem is the grown ups have made these decisions, Herbie that Yeah, you know, we put all this blame on the kids. The kids didn't create this. They can't create this without grown ups facilitating this.
Speaker 2: And you're right.
Speaker 3: I hope Texas Tech stays in touch with Brendan soresby the rest of his life, because you make it sound like we need to take care of him. He's one of ours. It'd be you know, irreparable harm if he can't play football.
Speaker 2: And Okay, I hope.
Speaker 3: You stay with him the rest of his life because the addiction will stay with him the rest of his life.
Speaker 7: Ask Art Sleister.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean a blot of your audience doesn't know who Art Sleister is. But he was a first round draft pick and he's been in and out of prison. He's been in prison for pretty much for the last forty or fifty years.
Speaker 2: I think he's out now, but he's been scamming people.
Speaker 7: For Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 9: If it's truly an addiction, and I have no idea again what's really happening. But it's truly an addiction. It's it's like it's like being an alcoholic, you know. It's you don't just have a press conference, say I went to a I went to a thirty day clinic. I feel a lot better. I'm in a good place now. If you truly have an addiction, it doesn't work like that.
Speaker 2: Oh what dog do we have in the background.
Speaker 7: All of them in here they're ready to eat.
Speaker 2: Peter there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's here, Come here, bit, I'm in my office.
Speaker 9: They just sprawled around everywhere.
Speaker 7: Kim, here he is, he can help.
Speaker 6: There.
Speaker 5: He is, Peter.
Speaker 2: A handsome.
Speaker 9: Somebody made a something on social media showing that they they put him in with me in my seats. I was like, no, he wasn't at the game. I could barely fit in there, let alone him.
Speaker 3: Now, my dog goes to work every day, so she's back where I have the guy who answers the phone calls. Whenever I put her on camera looking at herself, she goes crazy. So she's in the back now going crazy. I can hear her barking. She's so good. She's barking at Peter right now. Oh my gosh, I can't understand this.
Speaker 7: Get them together, boy, Hey.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you. Herbie to you.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to you come football season. Thank you God it brother, all right care Kirk kurb Street and his dogs, including Peter. Peter was there when we were at the Super Bowl in San Francisco. He came in and also the draft he came in. He was what a gorgeous dog and he belonged. He was like all right, where's my seat? What do you got for me? Any gifts here?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paulie at the draft, Fritzy book, Peter and Herbie.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll get some phone calls in here. We'll talk World Cup. Former US World Cup goaltender Brad Gazon. He will join us, coming up. Let me see, let me take a break. How about we do that and then we'll come back right after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's Rob Parker and Calvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: And in addition to hearing us live weeknights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 3: That's right, You can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 12: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again. YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 3: I got a message from a source of mind and he said, Hey. Last night, NCUBA President Charlie Baker was on ESPN Radio. He was asked if the NCAA would be able to enforce their rules if a college team decided they wanted to pick up an NFL practice player or a player cut from the NFL. The president of the NCAA said, basically, they would not be able to stop if a team finds a local judge to rule in their favor.
Speaker 2: Where are we going? What are we doing?
Speaker 3: We'll have who had the best week in sports? Will have that for you coming up. You want update the poll results, then we'll talk some soccer here, Dylan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dan, you can have free tickets to one of these NBA finals, Stanley Cup final or World Cup. Forty one percent say the Stanley Cup Final. And actually Marvin sent me over another poll question. Who is the best coach in the building during Game four of the finals? Mike Brown, Mitch Johnson, Jay Wright or John Calipari. Jay Wright's having a great, a great old time.
Speaker 2: Was Jimmy Johnson in there?
Speaker 6: That's true? We could add Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 3: There might have been somebody else in there, well, local high school coach. All right, he's the former US men's national team goalkeeper Brad Kazen and joining us on behalf of one of our sponsor Dude Wipes so Fox Sports World Cup analyst and he was the goaltender for a couple of US World Cup teams and joins us on the program. All right, tell me what I need to know about Team USA.
Speaker 13: They're exciting, man, It's going to be hopefully a good summer. They need to get off to a good start against Paraguay. If they can pick up three points in the first game to be able to finish top of the group, allows them. Listen, at any point, They're going to have to play a big powerhouse, if you will, But that's going to allow them the path I think of least resistance. And so Christian Blistic is playing with confidence. Chris Richards is back healthy. The goalkeeping situation is a hot topic. I think Friese will end up playing goal based off the last friendly against Germany in Chicago.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, can is there any comparison between hockey goalie soccer goalie as far as they stand on their head and make all these saves.
Speaker 2: We hear that in hockey all the time.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, we're gonna need We're gonna need whoever's in goal. We're going to need our goalkeeper to make saves in these tournaments. To do something special, you're you're going to need to have your goalkeeper make one or two big saves in a game, or you may need them to stand on their head and make ten, twelve fifteen saves as Tim Ahart did in twenty fourteen in Brazil, so you know, and even then we fell short against Belgium, so you're you're going to need your goalkeeper to come up big.
Speaker 3: We keep waiting for that next surge in soccer that you know, we thought, okay twenty ten and twenty fourteen, or when we host to the World Cup, And why is it we're still waiting for this, Brad.
Speaker 13: Why it's slowly growing. It's slowly growing. You know, when you go back to the ninety four Worlke Cup. The league, Major League Soccer was then built in ninety six off of the back of ninety four, and then when you look forward to where we are now in terms of the expansion of the league, the growth of the league, the notoriety of players that are coming to Major League Soccer to you know, sharpen their craft as a professional soccer player.
Speaker 11: That's exciting for the growth of the sport here in.
Speaker 13: The United States, and I think it's only going to continue to grow. You know, these leagues, whether you're talking about American you know, baseball, whether American football, talking about football over in England or in Europe, they weren't built in thirty years, you know, fifty seventy five, one hundred years to develop this passion, in this ability to pass down the love of a team from generation to generate. And so we're working our way there, and I think this summer is certainly going to help that.
Speaker 2: Explain to the audience why Messi is.
Speaker 3: Like that, he's he is whoever, whatever comparison you want to make to any other athlete you know in the United States, Like what is it about him for a guy who's not big, not necessarily fast.
Speaker 13: No, but it's it's not it's not about that, right, And I think when you look at the American athlete, we talk about those attributes that you just mentioned, big, strong, fast, powerful, But when you talk about Messi as a footballer, his creative awareness, his spatial awareness, his ability on the ball is so good to be able to bring other players into the game, right, He's able to do things, see passes that other players aren't able to see and all of a sudden, with one pass of the ball it unlocks the defense. Or maybe he pops up in a situation in and around the box and how he's he's being able to find the back of the net with a with an unbelievable shot, or or just the understanding of what the goalkeeper is doing and knowing he just gotta casually passed the ball into the bottom corner the opposite of way the goalkeepers, you know, anticipating him to go.
Speaker 3: Best player you ever faced, best goal scorer you ever faced.
Speaker 11: Well, I think we just spoke about him. I think he.
Speaker 13: Uh, he scored on me a few times. But at the same time, I must say we we did get the better of inter Miami when I was playing with Atlanta United in the playoffs series. I think we're not only upset inter Miami and in the third team, you know, we had just snuck into the playoffs, but I think we certainly upset the league office and and everybody that was potentially, uh, you know, putting putting money on the game, thinking inter Miami was going to walk all over us.
Speaker 11: But we did get the better fro him that series.
Speaker 3: Brad Gazan, he is working for Fox there World Cup studio analyst, soccer commentator, and he was a part of two US World Cup teams twenty ten twenty fourteen, joining us on behalf of Dude Wipes. You spent your whole career to get to this moment promoting dude wipes. Brad, congratulations, MESSI does it. Although you could bring in the word MESSI and with dude wipes, I think we could have a collaboration here.
Speaker 11: I like where your head's at. I like, clean up your messy, clean up your mess exactly.
Speaker 5: It's six.
Speaker 11: Nobody's using dry toilet paper anymore.
Speaker 2: Come on now, but you're handing out brown cards dude wipes.
Speaker 13: We are yeah, I mean listen to the initiative or around the World Cup in the excitement as I just mentioned, nobody's using dry toilet paper anymore. Going out to these these watch parties, these fan fest and seeing you.
Speaker 11: Know, people come in and out of porter bodies.
Speaker 13: Come on now, if you're not carrying a dudeoy body, you're getting a brown.
Speaker 3: Card dudewipes dot com slash brown Card and you can get a Brown card plus a three ten pack Dude Wipes, and you can give that out to anybody that you think needs that help. All right, give us the best case scenario, Team USA, Like, what is reality here?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean listen, first and foremost, we need to get out of the group, and then obviously the tournament this summer has expanded, and so we need to be able to win some knockout round games. And I think if we can get to the round of sixteen, we're gonna have to play a powerhouse, a soccer powerhouse from around the world somewhere, and in that moment, anything could happen. And I've said, if we can create one of these iconic moments such as the goal against Algeria in twenty ten, or one of these moments where an entire country is going to get behind the team, I think anything's possible. And so I think if we can get to the round of sixteen and have this excitement in the buzz within the United States get behind the boys, I think they can make their way to a quarter final, and you know, the sky's the limit at that point.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you, Brad, have fun, appreciate it.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Brad Gazan, the Fox Sports World Cup studio analyst. He'll be uh working the World Cup there. He was part of two US teams in the World Cup. Yeah, it feels like the round of sixteen that seems to be the if we get there, we've had a successful World Cup. It's weird to have that with any of you know, when you think of the United States, it's really rare when you go, well, you know, if we get to the round us you know, sixteen, we've done well, like we're so used to if we're not playing for a championship. But as people point out, you know how much soccer have we been playing when other countries have been playing for centuries here? Okay, we still have a lot of people to draw from here in the United States, far more than you know, Croatia, the Ivory Coasting, and.
Speaker 2: We're the host country.
Speaker 3: But I'm waiting for and I don't know if this is fair, but maybe when you want to get somebody's attention the casual sports fan, like Tiger got the casual sports fan, Gretzky got the casual sports fan. These are sports that normally we wouldn't go, oh, I've got to watch that, but then you did. Can you get I mean, Christian Polisic is a wonderful player, but he's kind of like Mike Trout. You know, he's low key, not a personality. I mean, go back to Landon Donovan. You know, he was a personality when we had him on. You know, Tim Howard's a really good goaltender. But like what am I seeing when you watch some of these players, When you watch MESSI you're seeing somebody a Ronaldo and Mope, you're seeing somebody. You go, I haven't seen that before, and these other countries seem to have that one player.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Pauline, you'll remember this guy. We had him on a generation ago. There's a guy named Freddy Adou. He was fourteen. He was a thing and if he had panned out became our great one. He was already on the way with that. He was dubbed at age fourteen.
Speaker 3: He was on the cover of Sports Illustrated and we thought, okay, you know this, this this guy could be the future.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: He did play, I mean, had a decent career, but the total number of Americans who watched non USA soccer matches increased from thirty one million in twenty eighteen to fifty million in twenty twenty four. So that's his sixty percent growth in six years, and the MLS has done quite well. They went from thirty thousand viewers in twenty eighteen to a thirty thirty million, I should say, to forty eight million, and an increase of fifty seven percent over six years. MLS has done a great job. You know, it started as a ten team league back in nineteen ninety six. Now it's thirty and the attendance record over eleven million fans attending regular season matches, so it it's gradually increasing. But it still comes down to do we have can we produce that player that you go, oh my gosh, I got to watch that player, and I think that will be I think that'll be the litmus test. Can you produce that athlete where we have somebody who's generational, we have somebody that matches you know, these players around the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, Dylan.
Speaker 6: I think part of the problem too is when, when, or and if we do have that guy, he's going to go play in the premier league like polistic Yeah, you know, so it's like your cream of the crops stars probably aren't going to wind up at least in their prime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he would play for Team USA, Yes, Yeah, but that's what I'm talking I'm talking about World Cup. Yeah, I'm talking about on the biggest stage. Can we have somebody who can go toe to toe literally with some of the best players in the world.
Speaker 6: But then it's then you have this it's only every four years, so it's like, you know, in between it.
Speaker 2: But that's all I'm asking for.
Speaker 3: I'm not asking the best player in the United States to stay in the United States and do MLS. I mean, can you be a household name every four years or you know, we follow you in the Premier League, but we get you back for the World Cup. That's what we've lacked. We have players, you know, Kobe Jones was going to be this, you know, unbelievable player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Paulie.
Speaker 8: And the other thing is and Seaton talked about this in the past. Sometimes you'll have a couple of European born parents who are living here now and they have a child, and they say, well, will they play for USA or will they play for you know, Croatia. Like you said, it's a decision, it's not automatic.
Speaker 2: All right, Well take a break. It's a Meet Friday.
Speaker 3: If you're watching on Peacock or NBC Sports Network, we're going out to the grilling area. We'll come back last call for phone calls, what we learn on's in store for Monday, and who had the best week in sports right after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: I love artist. Chef Greg is an artist. You know, he makes it look easy. He says, Oh, it's the rectech, the preparation that he has, and then yes, the rectech makes it really easy. But that's some great food. Like that's like that's top shelf. If you go to a barbecue and all of a sudden you see Chef Greg, you go, we're in good hands here, or somebody's cooking on a rectech. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Todd is short for Toddler because there's like five seconds to go and we're walking back into the studio to turn on our microphones. And I always tell Todd, don't take a bite and then get ready to come on the air, and then your mouth is full of food.
Speaker 5: I have no self control.
Speaker 3: So todd is short for Toddler because you did that three seconds to go and all of a sudden, you want to be og Nanobi and you want to have you know, one bite.
Speaker 14: I'm holding the plate and the egg roll and the beat and everything's right in front of me.
Speaker 5: To not take a bite is just not possible.
Speaker 3: No, I know that very sad. Who had the best week in sports?
Speaker 2: Tod How about you?
Speaker 7: I'm Bussy with the boys from Raleigh Caroline.
Speaker 14: Hurricanes's goaltender Brandon Bussy made NHL history late last night by becoming the first goaltender ever to win his first two career playoff starts in the Stanley Cup final.
Speaker 3: How about that much you are mister hockey, You're Gordie Holm U Dylan.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's hard not to give it to the Knicks, but I actually also had Brandon Bussey. Uh the Cane's going to and oh since him taking over the starting role and now they're one went away from his Stanley Cup.
Speaker 15: Marvin Jose Alvarado from the Knicks O. He's living every single New York kids dream. Grew up loving the Knicks, grew up in Queen's played big minutes hit two three pointers for them in the NBA Finals.
Speaker 8: Paul I took og off the board and I went James Dole and the owner of the Knicks. This guy had a rough twenty years and is on the cusp of delivering and Leonna what Leon Rose the Rose, Yeah, delivering a title this town and he'll be Amerton.
Speaker 2: Brian Myrtle beach hy Brian, what do you have for me?
Speaker 16: Thank you very First of all, thank you very much, Dan, Danette sive in a buttery sculpted statue like two hundreds.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 16: I've been listening for a long time, since I was a young dom and ugly now girl, dad of two, my beautiful wife. They'd make my life easier every day. And you know what else would make my life easier if the Knicks just win Game six. I remember back in ninety four, it was ten years old watching the Rangers just one of the win Game six in Vancouver. An unforgettable memory of the game seven win. But let's just get a win for Game six.
Speaker 2: All right? Thank you? Brian LV in Vegas. I LV, Hey, Dan, I've been listening for a long time. I wanted to do do.
Speaker 1: My best.
Speaker 11: Dan Patrick impersonation.
Speaker 2: I know your Dan.
Speaker 11: That's do very good at impersonations. I wanted to give you my Okay, that's Dan Patrick.
Speaker 2: Thank you Todd, Thank you LV. That was pretty good. Thanks Todd. It's not a thank you Todd, it's thanks Todd.
Speaker 5: Pretty much. You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you to You're welcome.
Speaker 5: Say you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tod. Ryan in Nashville, Hi, Ryan, DP, what up?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 17: Uh?
Speaker 10: Just a reminder, I want to check in about twenty three months to the day, you and I we made a bet. If the United States men's national team win.
Speaker 2: The World Cup. Yep, you have to stay on air for another year.
Speaker 10: So just putting it back out there email. You have to down at thirty Rock, just to tell them, Hey, I might be on the air for another year.
Speaker 2: Man, All right, team USA win's the World Cup.
Speaker 3: I'm I stay on for another year, but now I have to root against Team USA. Yes, Paul, if you're the coach motivational yeah, yeah, you're going in there to Christian Polisic, Hey, listen, you know how important this is. Yeah, it's World Cup. Dan Patrick will do another year on his show if we win the World Cup. Let's go like this will be the Herb Brooks moment, their motivational speeches, and in Arizona, I am.
Speaker 2: Dan morning.
Speaker 17: I was just calling away in on swordsby proud Kansas State alumni. And Phil Snyder would never have allowed that, and neither would darren Sprolls. Excuse me, I apologize and I love you Dan, have a great day.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, Ann. I know that we can it's business. Okay.
Speaker 3: I can't sit here and say I know who would allow this and who wouldn't. But Texas Tech is probably saying, look, we got a judge who said two games, he'll serve the two games suspension. I mean the morality police. I would love for them to be around, but they're long gone.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin Michael Bishop would have never done that either.
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah, of course top.
Speaker 15: Five great like you remember that guy like him? Like Brad Banks from Iowa.
Speaker 2: Colin Klein, Oh nice, Paul?
Speaker 5: How about that Graham Harrow? Speaking of Texas Tech?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, who they have, Sonny? Did they have another?
Speaker 3: Who's the other quarterback at Texas Tech? They all threw for you know, twenty thousand yards? Felt like god, what's his name? Was there a Sonny.
Speaker 5: Remember Timmy Chang from what was that?
Speaker 8: Why?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he threw he put up numbers.
Speaker 2: I love Timmy Chang and I love Chang.
Speaker 6: Uh, what's that?
Speaker 2: Quarterbacks? It's nuts?
Speaker 7: Ugh that Sunny Dodge.
Speaker 5: What was the name?
Speaker 7: Uh mahme?
Speaker 5: Which went there?
Speaker 7: Cliff Kingsbury went there?
Speaker 8: Simon's Cody Hodges.
Speaker 5: Damn.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it is, Sonny. I know you're going, yeah, well.
Speaker 5: We'll get a text at eleven o'clock tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, Sonny comby forty seven yards in two thousand and four giving that to.
Speaker 2: You, Thank you, bloop bloop.
Speaker 3: You would have never final results of the poll question Dylan best coach.
Speaker 5: In the building.
Speaker 4: They're in Game four of the NBA Finals. Mike Brown, Mitch Johnson, Jay Wright, John Calipari seventy percent say Jay.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I'm fine with that. This dang sports history. Paul.
Speaker 8: I was going to do Texas Tech quarterback history to pivot, but I'll go. The Baseball Hall of Fame was opened in Cooperstown, New York, on nineteen thirty nine, and uh, your Chicago Bulls DAN ninety one won their first title over the Lakers and No. One remembers at Magic Johnson Wizard.
Speaker 2: No, nope, nope, nope.
Speaker 3: The Nuggets on this date, twenty twenty three beat the Heat and they win the NBA Championship. UH nineteen eighty one, Larry Holmes knocks out Leon Spinks in three rounds, retains the WBC.
Speaker 2: Heavyweight Boxing Championship.
Speaker 3: Anybody have the Spurs this weekend? Spurs?
Speaker 2: Okay? Front row has Spurs winning Game five? Right? Game five?
Speaker 6: Spurs win, Nicks cover game five.
Speaker 3: Okay, this feels like a one oh nine one oh four final, Spurs right on the nose.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh is that all five and a half? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Ok, that's what they do.
Speaker 2: Todd, what did you learn today?
Speaker 14: Although he didn't pay a cent for his, John Cowpy reminds us ND Finals tickets at MSG are very expensive, Dylan, would you learn today?
Speaker 6: Ernie Johnson travels with a printer?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I know, Marvin, Ernie's wou tang Paul Sonny comby, Todd?
Speaker 2: What did I learn?
Speaker 5: Also?
Speaker 14: Ernie doesn't enjoy packing for flights. It's more about the destination than the journey.
Speaker 2: A lot of fun.
Speaker 3: We appreciate you being along for the ride. Another great meat Friday. Have a great weekend everybody, for Todd, Dylan, Marv, Paula, yours truly and of course the back room guys.
Speaker 2: Talk to you Monday,