Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this week trend edition of Production of My Heart.
Speaker 2: I was holding my breath because I got the hickeys.
Speaker 1: And you've been holding your breath since the last time we recorded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so did Thank god, I was starting blue. Oh my god, dude, you're right, You're right. It is hard to hold your breath the whole weekend. Now, man, the fucking hiccups. So I'm trying to stretch my diaphragm out. I get them every now and then, but you know, I'm just I'm dealing with it.
Speaker 2: How you stretch your diaphragm.
Speaker 3: My friend who I gotta stretch my diaphragm and she kind of just put her hands over her head and just kind of take a deep breath.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Okay, it's hoping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because look their diaphragm fragmal spasm or whatever, diapragms, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. Well, so I'm Jack mile these. This is the episode where we tell you some of the things that trended over the weekend, some of the things that are trending on this Monday morning. First, we get to know ourselves a little bit better by telling each other something we think is underrated?
Speaker 2: Overrated? You want to kick off? You want me to kickick off? What underrated? What's something you think is? Who did I say? Last time? Did I say? Was Vinnie del Negro a kicker?
Speaker 1: No, Vinnie del Negro was a a basketball player and coach of the last.
Speaker 3: Time I was Vinitary, I'm nick Folk. Now I'm nick full.
Speaker 1: Nick kicking it. I did a kickoff. He's holding his finger up in the air. Everybody's waiting his soccer career.
Speaker 3: But like a lot of football kickers, you end up being like, you know what, they liked it. I kicked this ship out of this weird ball, so I'll do that. Went to my high school? Actually was it really was.
Speaker 1: I feel like kick is one of those professional sports jobs that you can do high.
Speaker 3: You know, no fucking way you cannot do that high like you have to. I'm like, you almost have to be hiding, don't know.
Speaker 2: I just kicked the ball.
Speaker 3: I might get fucking ripped if the fucking play comes my way.
Speaker 1: Where the stoner professional athletes go there, Yeah, this is one that I can just kind of show up pretty hungover, maybe still a little bit drunk, and get the job done.
Speaker 2: Who am I thinking of?
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm like, am I like doing like Testa Verdi and I'm trying to be Negro and teary phone didn't Was he still someone to do with the Spurs?
Speaker 2: Did he Negro? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Negro was with the Spurs. Ye, appropriately of black.
Speaker 3: I had a wild I had a yeah, right, I had a wild weekend. And that's why my underrated is Show and Tell. Not because I even have a you know, the guys child is not close to doing shows or tells quite yet.
Speaker 2: Sure he's you know, it's cruising.
Speaker 3: Uh, but I was just thinking about I was like, just how how that ship sticks with you? Like I was talking with people just about like someone someone's kid having to do Show and Tell, and all these fucking memories flashback, Like I honestly think i'd be like my first bout of class consciousness came through Show and Tell, where like, oh, for sure you bring a toy or whatever. I brought like a Japanese like ant like manga book. I remember one of the first times, and I was fucking ridiculed because that's weird. Yeah, They're like it's got scribbles for words, and I'm like you, this is a this is dragon Ball, you fucking losers. You're gonna be fucking begging me to hang out with you in ten years anyway. So I just remember, like then seeing kids come out with like the wildest fucking toys, like the ship that like you would go to the toy store and be like can I get that?
Speaker 2: And your parents like absolutely fucking kidding, what the fuck do you think this is?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: They drive in on their show and tell, oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like I remember, no, fucking like some kid had the Fao Schwartz Mercedes fucking you know, power Wheels brought that ship to school, and I remember being so fucked up about it. But anyway, I still think about how like those impulses, like I feel like there's still power, like what today is our modern like flex culture on Instagram because we've lost the school room setting to be like and this is what I have and this is why I'm a different kind of thing.
Speaker 2: And now it's like I gotta.
Speaker 3: Post it on Instagram because I gotta do my own show and tell this is my new show, and tell that I do. And I just it's it's a powerful force. And I was like reading, I was trying to see like what like where did where did we? Where did we come up.
Speaker 2: With this ship?
Speaker 3: There's really there's no This is why I think it's an alien technology because we can't quite find the origin of Show and Tell. But it's mostly like an English speaking like UK, North America, New Zealand, Australia kind of thing. And it was like meant to just sort of be able to like bridge the ability of like talking about home stuff in school stuff and like being able to have like poise or whatever.
Speaker 1: Share something all about yourself.
Speaker 3: But it's like I feel like the new version the teachers are probably up on this and like we don't do toys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't do toys anymore. Yeah, yeah, that's what I figured. I think there's some days where you're like allowed to bring a stuffy from home that we like really fucked with diamond, Yeah, And I think that I think the real kind of mind fuck of that is like kids realizing that like other people have the same stuff with them.
Speaker 3: Oh I know, right, like the stuff that you're cheating on them. Yeah yeah, exactly, you too with this.
Speaker 1: That's brown Bunny Why wait, like it's even Krusty likes I saw him.
Speaker 2: Bb No, Yeah, you fuck that's brown bunny. Oh man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So anyway, it's a I just think it's it's a force from that we take from childhood into our.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that much from from my kindergarten. I don't know if my kindergart and skipped it or if I was just oblivious. I was like a real spacey kid. I remember like it. I was like we were worried, that's right. But I heard like one of my uncles being like, we were worried about you there for a while. Man, just like head like head in the clouds of head in the clouds off doing my own thing, like in a movie nobody else is aware of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're very cerebral. You're a thinker.
Speaker 3: So that makes sense that as a child, it translates to like is that boy all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, all right, my underrated I'm so it's professional sports, but sports sporto's or like non non sports fans like this. This is just something that I'm like kind of viewing professional sports again as an outsider because of like we so you remember on Mad Boost He's our NBA podcast.
Speaker 2: When I saw him, like he's back on this chart. He's back on this chart.
Speaker 1: I found there's a great page of web it's a radio media markets chart that lists the size of media markets. So this is something that's come up before because like I was, I was marveling at the fact that Jacksonville is the biggest city in Florida. That like fucked me up. I was like, there's wow, that doesn't make sense, like Miami is so much more well known. And the reason is just technical, like a technicality, like cities, you know, have their technical size, and like Miami is you know, a handful of different counties spread right, So media market actually tells you how big like a city actually is because that's like how many people live around there and identify around that and can be you know sold to I guess right, but ye know, ever, I real like three paragraphs now, actually more than that about this ship. So it's the sizes of markets in the United States. So you're basically finding out like how many people actually live around these geographical clusters. And the reason was because like there was a player from Denver who was like, you know, I wish I was in one of the big markets and was more you know, more people would give us our respect, like you know, Lebron in La or Yannice in Milwaukee, and I was like Milwaukee, Milwaukee was not a big market. Looked it up. It is a much smaller market than Denver. But anyway, Also, I've never spelled Milwaukee correctly without.
Speaker 3: The I love that you spelled it two different ways within three words.
Speaker 1: So difficult, it's I don't Oh yeah the U came before today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just picked it.
Speaker 1: But anyways, the other thing that this chart made me really is that there are these like it's a list of you know, New York, La Uh, Chicago, right, all these cities I know, and then there are these little pockets in the top fifty that I really don't have any context for, And it's all based on whether they have a professional sports team sport that I pay attention to, Like San Jose, California. If you didn't watch Big Little Lies, you don't know shit about it. But it is a larger city than like Salt Lake City and Milwaukee. But I've spent time in Salt Lake City and Milwaukee just in like professional sporting event b roll you know right, right, I've seen like city.
Speaker 2: You can see the mountain from the venue. Yeah, it seems like yeah, like a big little in Monterey, not San Jose.
Speaker 1: It's not all right, I no see win exactly.
Speaker 3: For a second, I was like San Jose is not that glamorous, but yeah yeah, yeahs a lot of tech people there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Middlesex, New Jersey, Riverside, California. Like you don't know Riverside, dude, I mean I'm aware of Riverside.
Speaker 2: Didn't I tell you about those T shirts they used to rock back in the day.
Speaker 3: It would say homicide, genocide, suicide Riverside.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, and that was like made by Riverside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was like some I remember seeing like some hardcore like Riverside people rock and shit like that.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like a huston I remember, like all right, Riverside. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But like Middlesex, New Jersey and Riverside are bigger markets than Cincinnati and Kansas City, right, Like I know things about Cincinnati and Kansas City's cuisine, Like I know what they look like from because sports, right, yeah, just because of sports. Like Indianapolis is smaller than Norfolk, Virginia. Oh, Buffalo is crazy small, but Buffalo is smaller than like Monmouth.
Speaker 2: New Jersey.
Speaker 1: But yeah, truly, like I don't know so it's just interesting, like now I understand what like it just like puts like some of the pride and you know, just reason for existing of professional sports into context a little bit.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying these are like accurate snapshots just because I've seen like people throwing fish around the fish market in Seattle, doesn't mean I know Seattle, but at least like it's in my mind, it's like on on the map, you know.
Speaker 3: Right, because in my mind it's drawing attention because I mean, like you to your point, like, I don't know what the reason there would be national attention on Middlesex unless there's like a gigantic convention like if like the if the DNC type thing was happening there maybe something like that or sports.
Speaker 2: But otherwise, yeah, there's and.
Speaker 1: It never would because there's not venues big enough because no professional sports.
Speaker 3: Right, it's just this, Oh my god, it's a snaky in its own tale. Yeah, so what what are we saying if we're going by like market size, Seattle is still the one that needs more.
Speaker 2: Well, actually know, they just don't have a basketball team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just don't have a better the tragedy there, Yeah, the biggest market that I don't like Nasau, New York, which is basically Long Island, right, is like bigger than Baltimore or Saint Louis, Tampa, Denver, Pittsburgh, Portland, So they have the Islanders. I think in NHL, I think that's right, But I don't really fuck with hockey, so I don't know like what their culture is. I just know, like I know some people from Long Island, but I feel like I know Long Island less than I know Oklahoma City or like San Antonio, yacause I feel like San Antonio has hosted the NBA Finals so often, right.
Speaker 2: Or like I know Staaten Island better because of Wu Tang.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I one three four, Like I got the fucking zip code right here, man, like truly put you on the map.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I guess, like with New York, like those kinds of things too, like New York is just seen as just a region, right. There might be New York City, but everyone from the area like just sort of is like, yeah, that's our team.
Speaker 2: So I guess it's kind of like the collective identity too.
Speaker 1: But yeah, a Long Island I think fucks with like the Mets and the Jets, if I'm not, or maybe it's the Giants.
Speaker 3: What do you met Jets Islanders or Yankees, Rangers Giants kind of thing, right, Yeah, anyway, tell us, hey, Long Islanders, please help us.
Speaker 2: We're help me, help me understand please.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize how big Dallas was either. I thought Dallas was like kind of a small side I remember both like bigger than Houston, Bigger than Houston. I think the fifth biggest it goes New York, LA, Chicago, San Francisco is four, which I didn't realize it was that big, and then Dallas right after it.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. I guess again that might be like a hip hop bias for me. I'm but all the rap there's so many rappers from Houston.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who are all these Dallas people?
Speaker 2: You know? Just like boys? Yeah? All right, myles, what is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Some of the thing is overrated? Now, how do I? Oh? I guess technically Vanilla Ice is a Dallas rapper. Overrated? Cool? There you go, Dallas, there you go.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, overrated is as I think thinking, just trying to embrace trends and doing it at the expense of acknowledging where you are experientially in life, not even an age. But I say this because as I approach forty, myself and other millennials I talked to in the sort of same age Cohort are like stuck in this space where like we acknowledge.
Speaker 2: We're like, yo, bro, we're washed. Like we're washed, bro, Like I don't know, I don't know half these motherfuckers that are coming out.
Speaker 3: I can barely keep up with new music, but like I do my best, and also like I don't know, like I'm like the shit kids are wearing.
Speaker 2: I'm like that shit looks dumb to me, so like I've a.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, it's like, but I'm not uncool though, you know what I mean, Like I still know what's up.
Speaker 2: It's like we're trying to have it both ways.
Speaker 3: It's like, look, were either washed and we're like fine with it and not even washed, like in a pejorative sense like that, we're just the like sort of that mainstream youth culture is for the youth them, you know, and we are now the forties them.
Speaker 1: And that's why I set out of the league. We watched out the big league. We're in the now, like the catcher in Major League.
Speaker 3: I'm like a veteran to just like, you know, just to encourage on like the next generation of stars to be like, hey, I was there too. Man was called the Ox Baby and we were doing it big. But hey, now it's your turn. That was twenty years ago. But anyway, so like, we don't like to feel like we're fucking off trend or whatever the fuck you want to you know, however you want to phrase that. But I notice this specifically every time I go out wearing my phone.
Speaker 2: I wear my phone on a next strap. Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because when I was in Japan, like the last time in December, a lot of people were wearing.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that kind of has like a swat to it, even though like in my mind, you're ahead of the curve on this well to me.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing, right, people pull up, Like when I wear it now in LA they're like, whoa, all right, dad, life, you got your phone on the next strap? Okay, like you're doing you're doing it functional. And then others are like, you know, that seems like pretty functional to like what my needs are. But also like I don't want to I don't want people yelling hashtag dad life at me, so I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Pass, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And at first I saw the next strap as some like some high school nark shit or you know, catch me wearing no fucking next strap on my phone, and I realized it's one of the best things I've done, Like in terms of my cell phone purchases, after buying a case for it is like this next strap, I won't lose it because it's on a bright orange leash. Basically, I can access it whenever I need, Like I can cook, I can hold the kid, I can I can sumone a recipe and then just fling it back down. Because it's on a strap, I can free my pockets because as you know, we're a plumper gang here. And I don't need people knowing the exact mode of my cell phone based because they can tell from the outline in my pocket.
Speaker 2: So it's nice to have it out of there.
Speaker 3: And I was at a birthday party this weekend and a couple came up to her Majesty and I and they were like, hey, so I just want to thank you for your bravery, like with wearing the next strap in public, Like we also decided just now as a couple that this is like the mood for us, and and like we just were like glad we saw like other people our age like using it, and I like, we feel really great about it. And I was like, how come you weren't like embracing it sooner? They're like, well, it looks like some high school narc shit, and you know, we just weren't quite there. So anyway, sometimes function can be the wave, you know what I mean, And I think I don't like, I don't even regret it. I'm just like, yeah, man, this is like this fucking works, like that's why I like it. I don't think like I'm much like, oh, this is my fucking drip, because that's where you have to sort of reconcile what those values are.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And for me, it's the function and guess what, and sometimes being functional turns out can bring you admirers from from all across the age spectrum.
Speaker 1: I'm just waiting for it to become like a little bit more popular so it doesn't look like I'm copying you so much. You know, like I need to see like a few more people and then you will.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you people are Every time I was like, I'm wearing my Humble bag.
Speaker 1: By the way, Miles, this feels like you being like, you know, I'm not chasing trends. I'm kind of chasing sometimes you do. Sometimes you travel to Japan. Sometimes travel to Japan and see the wave before it hits. See how the United States I was.
Speaker 3: I was pushing away my own people, my own culture, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And I had to just I had to dive in. I had to dive in.
Speaker 3: But I think, no, but it's but truly it's a story about how, like you know, how the cool people will always be cool I think, is what I mean to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really, at that time, people will always be cool. So stop trying. Stop trying by yelling dad life at people who you think are on some dad shit and are actually on some jack ship.
Speaker 3: This ain't no dad shit, bros. Some Japanese trend wave our mom fucker now back up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just embarrassing yourself. Also, I will report from the functional perspective. My wife, uh got one of these a while back. Also, she's getting ahead of the curve on this ship.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm having to do the find my iPhone app like maybe three times a day instead of like seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's pretty Yeah, that's huge. Three because you have an extrap.
Speaker 1: No, No, because she has an extrap and so I don't have to find her phone for her like.
Speaker 2: Her seven times a day. Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 1: I thought you exactly. All right, my overrated let's stay on the phone thing picking up. Do you have the thing where like you can now see when someone is leaving a voicemail for right, and you can like pick it up in the middle of the voicemail.
Speaker 2: Yeahs like now voicemail.
Speaker 3: No, I haven't done that, but I haven't done that ship since like I was using a landline in like ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is like you can now jump in when someone is leaving a message and interrupt, interrupt them and basically be like, oh, hey, I'm actually here. And it's it's like waking a sleepwalker while they're asleep. Like it's it's there's just like something humiliating about it, Like they go from like you know, autopilot to like, oh ship, there's so yeah, it's just hey, and it's like confusing because not everybody knows about this ability. So I've just made a vow to myself I'm not doing that ship don't don't pick up happened to you? Was No, I did it to a couple people, and they just their kind of confusion really like fuck's the whole conversation. Yeah, Like well I was gonna say, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like you caught someone like stealing or something. We're going to put it back the thing. You're like, what, like it's I wasn't expecting to speak to a human right now.
Speaker 2: So this kind of fucked Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember doing that, like when we had those little tape answering machines back in my day. Yeah, with the little MicroTape I know, and then you'd be like, yo, hold on, I got to hang up there else everything's gonna be on wax, like when we come right back, or like you have to run over and stop.
Speaker 2: The fucking answering machine to be like, do not reward this weird shit I'm about to talk about. Yep, yep, yep. I won't do it. I won't do it.
Speaker 1: It's like the opposite of like the answering machine message that like tricks people into thinking you're there. This is like real pickup mid answering machine. Yeah, it's fucked up. So you're breaking the sacred bond of you know, phone etiquette.
Speaker 2: I feel like because.
Speaker 3: It's a social finish line, you know what I mean. It's like once I've crossed I've look I did. I was doing the thing where I was willing to talk to you during the rings. Yes, but now that we're there, now that we've crossed the rubicon into voicemail.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to not be talking to you. Yeah, just like there is a relief when somebody's voicemail picks up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know, not many people like actually call each other anymore, but I'm trying to do more phone calls, actually talk to people. I think I think there's some some benefit to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to, you got to. Oh, I'm all profone, you got to.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and come back and talk about some news.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back, and I mean I'm seeing I'm seeing some good press for Mike Johnson for the first time.
Speaker 3: Hey, Mike, Yeah, Mike, old Jesus jerk off eyes actually got something passed in the House. Yeah, after weeks of delays, the House actually passed something. And is it help for American people? Unfortunately, it's been millions of dollars of aid for everyone except Americans. But we could carry less about the country struggling.
Speaker 2: But hey, the.
Speaker 3: Status quo and a status quo, and Mike Johnson did his thing. And despite all the Republicans that have turned into Russian propagandists like Marjorie Taylor Green, those freaks were unable to fully cut off the money hose for Ukraine because they will be receiving around sixty billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Wow, in what I'm pretty sure is lethal aid.
Speaker 3: Indo Pacific allies, read people that we're hoping will fight China if we need them to when called upon, are getting eight billion dollars and Israel gets twenty six billion dollars, although nine billion of the twenty six billion is going to humanitarian aid in Gaza, which is just such a weird like notion where it's like, if you're gonna be providing lethal aid to Israel, like the nine billion just feels like a fucking weird number. That's like art, like you could say, like you're just saying it out loud to be like, and there's aid for them too, but also more lethal munitions for the people to to then attack them. And I feel like you know, you could just do the thing. All Palestinians and most of the civilized world are clamoring for an immediate ceasefire. But hey, just look, we got it.
Speaker 2: We got it. We got to feed the machine.
Speaker 3: And it's again like to you're to send money, just gotta send money man, And just said, we didn't.
Speaker 2: Discriminate money hose. Discriminate money hose.
Speaker 3: Just not for social services, just not for things like Medicare for all. There's nothing like real, you know, making college affordable for people, maybe childcare service whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the fun I'm talking about. I don't know the money hose.
Speaker 3: And they'll figure it out, you know exactly. It's like that scene in What is UHF? But it's like you ready to drink from the fire hose. Yeah, just blow your head off with money. But yeah, to your point about like the you know, the tides turning for Mike Johnson, there's like there's this op ed in the Washington Post. I was like, you know, we got we actually got to commend Mike Johnson.
Speaker 2: Got to give him a chance. He's a fucking hero man. He really showed spine.
Speaker 3: You're like, what I mean, I get that the GOP is now just like three hundred racists and like a Russian propagandist in a trench coat, but like doing the normal thing, which is just throwing money away into the military industrial complex.
Speaker 2: Fire Like, isn't really a crouse for celebration, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's still the same fucking guy who decided to go through with a bullshit impeachment of Alejandro majorcis like drummed up all this xenophobia about the border, only to then just be like, actually, no border deal because this is all just rhetorical fuckery that I was engaged in. Yeah, he's an election denier, but sure, let's let's really Yeah he showed such spine when he denied the results of the election, but yeah he did a thing John Bahner would have done, so I guess he is redeemed, right, So ye, turn off, turn off your Covenant eyes tonight, Mike.
Speaker 2: And just this one's on us of course.
Speaker 1: The app that he uses to try and stop himself from jacking off, like saying his son too, yeah, sends his search history to his son and his son's search history like it was specifically highlighting any untoward online activity. They get reports on one another. That is an actual app.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yas, like you just keep looking at the Murk Medical Manual online.
Speaker 2: What's in there? Just cool body parts I just want to learn about.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's such a low barrier that we're now applauding them for doing the horrifying thing that they've been doing for years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's also like an opportunity Hakim Jefferies can be like, well, the Democrats had also come in and save the day, and like so everybody gets to kind of like pat themselves on the back for just again the status quo, which again is just from what I'm reading, mostly death dollars being handled out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah with President Zelenski also thanked Mike Johnson, so he's got that he can he can hang on to.
Speaker 1: There you go, Yeah, put that, Yeah, put that on a shelf and try not to jack off to it. Uh, try put that on your little shelf.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: There's this article in The New Yorker that I found kind of interesting clarifying the spine of it is about that guy, Remember the guy who shot himself into the sky in a rocket to try and prove the Earth was flat and died in the process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his fucking homebrew rocket.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the thesis of this article is basically that, you know what, when I hear about like QAnon, I'm imagining like a future war like the Chinese Civil War that killed twenty million people because they believed this cult leader was Jesus's son. Like I the things they say they believe are so bizarre that I'm there's kind of this tension in my mind about like how come they're not like constantly we're not constantly seeing like people run into you know, like do wild shit with you know, they're they're all super well armed, and they apparently believe that everyone is part of like this satanic cabal.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: It pops up every now and then, like the one guy who like shot his neighbor because he thought he was a Democrat, right and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's definitely not for the most part, Like the numbers aren't where you might expect them to be, right. And this article is basically saying that when you look at the research on disinformation and like the like false beliefs, like the transparently false beliefs, like people kind of believe it in the way that like Catholics believe the bread is the body of Christ, but like don't actually expect like blood to start running down their mouth where they like, you know, it's not his body, right, yeah, yeah, but they like believe it. It's not like they you know, like they've done so they've done all these experiments with like Democrats and Republicans, where like Republicans, like they'll ask them to estimate something that's like politically charged, like the number of deaths in Iraq, and Republicans will generally be like further off than Democrats from reality.
Speaker 2: But when you start rewarding them with money for.
Speaker 1: Accuracy, they actually like they they get much more accurate, like that the difference almost Yeah, they knock it off exactly.
Speaker 2: But how about for a couple of bucks, you knock this bullshit off, all right? Right? Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so the reason they focus on the flat earth guy is that he was so his s was actually that he was a daredevil, like a backyard he idolized evil Canevil always wanted to be evil Canievil, like, uh, you know, five years before his death, he was like trying to fund his like backyard rocket launches and could only like raise three hundred and ten dollars on go fund mer, and then he was like, you know what would be smart is if I said it was all part of like flat earth shit. Oh shit, Like he was interested vaguely and flat earth stuff. It was like part of he was like a conspiracy theorist. But sure then he like hooked it up to that and was like, I fund my rocket launch so I can like expose the truth about like NASA being a conspiracy and that's where that all came from. But like there's lots to indicate that he didn't actually believe the Earth was flat. The like even the story didn't really make sense when you think about it, Like he didn't appear to be reaching or coming close to the levels of like an airplane, which still doesn't show you the curvature of the Earth. So it's like it didn't didn't really make sense that this guy was like actually trying to do anything with flat Earth more.
Speaker 2: Vibes than science honestly, with that whole crew.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, And so it's it's just interesting.
Speaker 2: I think it like that.
Speaker 1: It's something that I come back to a lot as we're you know, dealing with this uh you know, the news is like the stupidity of others seems to be a myth that like both sides want to believe in and want to like simplify the other person's assumptions. And it's easy to do in the abstract and at a distance, but it's generally like less true in the like there there's these two systems of belief that we have, and like one is like symbolic beliefs and the other is like I believe there's a chair here that I can actually sit down on. All right, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, yeah, then some people don't believe there's.
Speaker 2: From the RNC. All right, President Obama? Oh boy? Yeah, So anyway, sorry, go on.
Speaker 1: So anyways, I'll link off to the New York article on the footnotes. But it's a pretty interesting read that I think is like, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, it does show how like a lot of these people just come to embrace Oh, someone's calling right now, and should I answer them?
Speaker 2: When they go to a voicemail voicemail, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 3: Full, It's no one, I know it's it's probably some fucking robot call anyway, spam, But no, Like, it's interesting to see how malleable people are when it's just advantageous for them to have a certain belief set, whether that's to be like part of an in group or to be part of a bigger group.
Speaker 2: The social setting, or for your rocket fuckery.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, it's like convenient for social like it's they they point to this idea that like it's a driver of group identity, that like when you have beliefs that are like really strange, Like the more, the more unsubstantiated and strange the beliefs, the better, because then it proves like how down you are with the with the group. So like religions often define their membership on the basis of like really unverifiable or even like unintelligible beliefs, and like similar to.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, oh you don't okay, well I see you okay, yeah, yeah okay.
Speaker 1: So but then when you ask, like when the money is on the line, like they will not.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: People just are surprisingly realistic when you put even a small amount of money, like the small amount of money that comes in a you know, experiment in the humanities, like.
Speaker 2: Ten dollars or something. Yeah, and even then that feels like a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, should we take one more break and come back and hit some more news.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, and we're back. We're back.
Speaker 1: And this is a headline that you may have seen over the weekend that was not in the onion. It is Joe Biden doubles down on false claim his uncle was eaten by cannibals.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, it's so.
Speaker 1: He was campaigning in Pittsburgh last week and told a story about how his uncle Bosey was shot down in Papua New Guinea and World War two. His body was never found because there used to be a lot of cannibals, for real in that part of Papua New Guinea. Yeah, and of course, the official war records concerning his uncle's death feature no reference to cannibalism or even that the plane was shot down. But these are the sorts of like family legends that people start blending with reality as you get.
Speaker 2: Older and older. Right here, let's just let's hear it.
Speaker 3: Let's hear from our president Joe Byron about the cannibalism that his family was subjected to.
Speaker 4: And my uncle they called him Ambrose, Brosie, they called him.
Speaker 2: He's honestly, it's.
Speaker 4: A hell of an athlete. They tell me when he was a kid and he became an Army Air Corps before the Air Force came along. He used to those single engine planes as reconnaissance over war zones. He got shot down in New Guinea and I never found the body because there used to be are a lot of cannibals for real in that.
Speaker 1: And uh oh man for wow, man, I feel you know what that is.
Speaker 3: Democrats Republicans need to unite over the fact that no matter which candidate is speaking, they will there will be a backdrop of board out of their minds, people holding signs for.
Speaker 2: Just like the fuck that's the case, What the fuck is he going? Uncle Wembozi was a elevant athlete and.
Speaker 1: Tuti, I'm serious man. She got shot down over the U over the Black forest and an old lady lured her to her house and baked her and pie, I'm serious man, exactly.
Speaker 2: She had gambs that would make Mussolini cry what gam talking about? Cry?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I love I remember when this came out too, because at first the headline was like Joe Biden's out here saying like cannibals ate his uncle and people like and then initially without him pushing back you're like, uh, even the official record from the Department of Defense says that he just wasn't found, had nothing to do with cannibals. But then I like that he doubled. Joe Biden really had to be like, no, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not kidding, and I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: His favorite thing to do, say something incredibly stupid and then reiterate over and over that you're not kidding. Yeah, congratulations to him. That's wildly entertaining, but not not a ton of energy there.
Speaker 2: Especially with which you have people pushing back to.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, on the other side of the presidential election, another low energy loser, Donald Trump. So obviously no cameras allowed in his New York trial, But there are the sketch artists, yep, and Donald Trump is not a fan. Apparently he reportedly critiqued the quality of the sketches behind the scenes, which isn't all that surprise, and considering that one caught him dozing off with his own lawyer kind of being like yeah.
Speaker 2: Like kicking him, Hey, motherfucker, all right.
Speaker 1: And then there's another sketch that I think a lot of, like I've I feel like everybody saw this one where he's just looks like a villain from a Doctor Seuss book.
Speaker 2: Oh totally yeah. He looks like the Grinches lawyer, you know what I mean, he's running a suit. He's like, I get you out of this sort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like a weird like shit eating grin making eye contact with the sketch artist.
Speaker 2: The thing that I love, though, is that not that I love this is the fucking part about whenever we because Trump is just such a fucking just.
Speaker 3: Loser with all kinds of weird things going on that like it's easy to make fun of kind of thing. The other story that kept going out was that he's just farting to a bunch the entire time, just part box sleeping and farting man, just rip Van Winkle, you know, just ripping them and sleeping them and and like and then that's what I come away with. I'm like, this fucking guy is gonna get away with some other ship that everyone's like, yeah, but he's farting man, and that sucks.
Speaker 2: We're farting our way into the apocalypse right now.
Speaker 3: But sure, I just I just like that there's really no way for them to get around the sleeping thing, because he's been sleeping pretty much every time he's in court and they're like this, this is as just a vendeta against him, that people I can't stay awake.
Speaker 1: I've had those things though, where like I don't know, they're definitely warm, warm rooms where you just have to sit still and you just can't stay awake.
Speaker 2: You know That's why. I that's me in high school college.
Speaker 3: I could not for the fucking if I'm sitting, especially if it's dark. Yeah, I happens like I just started fucking dozing off or just something where you just don't care. Like clearly, it's more a function of how disengaged from.
Speaker 2: The process Donald Trump is, because in his.
Speaker 3: Mind he's like, I don't know, I just have to sit here while they fucking tosk this shit and then I'll get it over like I always do.
Speaker 2: So I'll just fucking go to the sun here. Yeah.
Speaker 1: A Trump rep said that the sources behind the drawings are losers who will try to pedal fantasy as fact because they live miserable existence.
Speaker 2: Again, like that, it's just so good, like he's been real.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming this Trump rep is speaking on his behalf and maybe that this was directly authored. The statement was directly authored by him. I have no idea where I'm getting that, nuh and from.
Speaker 2: I think he's smart enough that he knows how to like.
Speaker 3: I think he has a job because he has his skill of talking how Trump wants to sound. Okay, yeah, because it's just always like they're losers and that's they're just and he's like perfect exactly, That's why I'm sleeping.
Speaker 2: Because they're losers and jealous.
Speaker 1: But he just he is very he's very thin skinned about the falling asleep in court.
Speaker 2: I know, it's weird.
Speaker 3: He doesn't he doesn't take much umbrage with the fart reports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't seen the fart reports. Are we getting those? Are those has Maggie Haberman kind of backed up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, let's see there there's always Michael Cohen talking about the smell rumors. But oh, someone says there's no evidence that Trump farted, okay according to Snows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so his lawyer might just be incredibly flatulent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Haberman was the one that said he fell asleep. Yeah, and then other people were like it smells around him because the other thing that is something people say is that he's odious stickyness yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: How that how that plays out, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously we're not gonna we'll never have a proper camera angle of a loud fart.
Speaker 2: But either way, he says, you.
Speaker 1: Get older, you definitely uh have a little bit less control over your flashlens. So this is not not shocking to me that he's a.
Speaker 2: Come to my house holiday.
Speaker 3: There's if you want to see old people fart in a grand chorus, it's it happens every time, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I do want to see that, Miles. Yeah, it was a lot for her. Master invitation accepted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they come through, come through their farting right now?
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Number one show on Netflix is What Jennifer Did, which is a troubling true crime documentary that is just ahead of in second place, Woody Woodpecker Goes to Camp, which I'm hearing also very dark, I bet you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, what is it?
Speaker 3: Are they just mapping like the Earnest films to Woody Woodpecker is just like Woody Woodpecker goes to.
Speaker 1: Prison, right, are you allowed to do that?
Speaker 2: I don't know, goes to camp like that was Earnest.
Speaker 1: Woody Woodpecker saves Christmas. It's interesting though, like Woody Woodpecker does not have an imprint. I feel like for this younger generation, maybe I'm wrong about that, but my kids missed Woody Woodpecker and was a fixture when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Well then, do you remember how like insufferable you'd be doing the Woody Woodpecker laugh.
Speaker 2: As a kid.
Speaker 3: You're doing twenty percent commitment. Man, I need to really, I need you to be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, And they're like, dude, please shut up, and we're like, no, we're Woody Woodpecker. So maybe maybe blessed.
Speaker 2: The kids for not knowing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But anyway, what if we made a character that was intentionally annoying as fuck?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and would cause parents around the world to have some kind of break down. But yeah, the things it's a the things about a woman who like hired a hit person to like kill her parents.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Pretty hitmen that you can hire are basically not real. F YI, just for any of our our listeners out there, that's a cop. You're trying to hire one, that's a cop. But anyways, uh, certain photos in the documentary, uh are clearly allegedly but I mean we we now know the trademarks of AI editing images, and uh, this ship is clearly they just stuck it through an AI filter.
Speaker 2: And yeah whatever it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the EPs is admitting they did some photo editing for I guess like acceptable reasons to like remove other people and other like details from the picture so that it wasn't clear whose photos were being used, right, But they're not specifically speaking to the AI part. Yeah, Which that's the reason that's the story is because AI is putting people out of work and doing a shitty job.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Exactly, if you wanted to remove someone from a photo or whatever, a person can do that. But when you run it through your thing and then suddenly they have like alien hands where like each hand has like three digits on it, just everything about. Like it's so funny how these people who are like make these decisions are like it's fine, no one's gonna look at the background, because a second you do, you're like, what the fuck is going on in this room? Like if you're just looking at her face, maybe sure, you're like, oh they're smiling, yeah, and like the context is a room, but you start looking at the hands, the nose, like just the inexplicable shit.
Speaker 2: There's no door knobs or hit this. Everything's just all bad, all bad.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a shelf full of lotions in the back background that is like appears to be like operating on mc escher physics. It's just like floating tilted sideways.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah that if you gave this task to a human, they'd have it done in about an hour. It would look great, would not have broken fingers.
Speaker 3: There's a whole subreddit they can go to on Reddit and you can just be like, hey, can you do this to a picture, and then you can just tip them at the end and they do it so quick and better than this.
Speaker 2: But again, dude, Oh I forgot to say.
Speaker 3: When I was in Japan, I saw this fucking ad on the side of a building that I was like, it sort of seemed pretty like innocuous until like I really read into it. It says it's called dip dream Idea Passion dip dot AI and I was like, oh no, And then the subhetter was Labor Force Solution Company.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that is the most final.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Labor Force Solution Jesus likest it's.
Speaker 2: Given not vibes.
Speaker 3: We don't need solutions to the labor force at all, Like it might be better pay, but not.
Speaker 1: Like we have the thing that will dust them forever. Yes, labor force, cleansing department or.
Speaker 2: No, whatever it is. But this is just like dude, AI everywhere.
Speaker 3: Like even with the Kendrick Lamar Drake beef, there was like a distrack that came out that was like it turned out to be AI. There's now Ai Tupac on a track that Drake put out. It's just there's so much like it's even it's even unsettling the rap like beef game right now.
Speaker 1: Like so basically Kendrick, Drake and j Cole were like, we're part of the Big three with Kendrick, the three best rappers, like, and they put themselves on the same level as Kendrick. Kendrick came out and just demolished them.
Speaker 3: In a verse he had one verse yeah, one verse future song right yeah with metro booming, and then then Drake, then Kendrick or then Cole responded and then he ended up being like you know what, actually I don't want smoke because yes, let's be real, that's really not Ja Coles, that's not Jay Cole's lane and he's a great rapper, but like most people know, he's like he's he's a he's an honest, sensitive guy, and I think he was like, this isn't really what I how I stand as a person. I was really pressured to respond and just doesn't feel right for me. He took that track down, and then everyone fucking flamed him because they're like, wow, bro, really like you get called out by name and you responded and then you're like, I'm smoke free now actually, And then then Drake had one leak and then he finally put out out an official track on Friday, and then he put another one, another track out called Taylor Made, And now.
Speaker 2: I was like, what's Kendrew gonna do? Was Kendrack gonna do?
Speaker 3: And it's I mean a lot of people were like, I wonder if you know, Drake better be careful because last time he got into battle, someone's like, hey, what about.
Speaker 2: Your secret baby? You fail dad?
Speaker 3: And everyone was like oh shit, and everyone's like you better not be talking about these underage girls because that's you know that my man has a fucking glass jaw for a punchline. But again a lot of people are like, is someone willing to go there in hip hop when there's already such like, you know, vile behavior.
Speaker 2: I don't know. So we're waiting on pins and needles.
Speaker 3: But in the interim, people are so interested that it's allowing like AI fake tracks to come out.
Speaker 2: People like, oh my gosh, it's finally the response. Yeah, and it's like, no, it's it's not. It's not, it's not, it's not. Just wait for them to release something. Well.
Speaker 1: Also, did you hear the Taylor Swift song that ether Kendrick on her new album?
Speaker 2: I mean they were on a track together. You know what the torture Poets Department?
Speaker 1: I mean, who do we think the Twitter she's threatening to torture Kendrick lamar one of the great.
Speaker 3: Cool Mary's coming out on Drake on Drizzy's side, that's right, Yeah, yeah, no, I did eighteen thirties was trending all weekend and.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, the fuck really was not like the number one thing trending all weekend on the song I Hate It.
Speaker 2: Here she dropped her latest album. I'm sure most people were aware of that.
Speaker 1: It is two hours long, and the people were talking about a section that said, my friends used to play a game where we would pick a decade we wished we could live in instead of this, I'd say the eighteen thirties, but without all the racists and getting married off for the highest bid.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: It's like a definitely a twenty sixteen as like, I don't know, remind it reminds me of an earlier time, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, what do you mean like this kind of like longing for the Antebellum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, longing for the America and just being willing to be like yeah, but without the races like you yeah, well that's a very.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you're looking in this in this version, you are still a white person and you're like, but I make it tenable for my friends who might not be white, to say, but without like the racists.
Speaker 2: Yes, and in this she's being married off, so she is an heiress, so yes, yes, and what's that what that dowry do? Please let us know?
Speaker 3: But yeah, I get like there, it's like no, no, but like without that because I remember, like I remember when people are like, oh man, the.
Speaker 2: Sixties would have been cool, man, And I'm like, yeah, for you, you know what I mean, Like it's weird.
Speaker 3: I think because certain people, whatever marginalized group or a press group, you might be a part of you. Still you think of these times like, I don't know, man, even now kind of fucking sucks to be honest here. But I like, again, she did the she did the thing to try and be as diplomatic. But it's like without the racists, what about slavery. Well, okay, let me get back to you on that. Let me get back to you.
Speaker 2: I don't I didn't think that far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's also the But the runner up for a thing that was getting flamed the most, or you know, talked about the most, was a song called so high School Because it name checks American Pie. People are speculating that the song is about Travis kelce based on these lyrics, and I don't know where they get this idea that it's Travis kelcey. But the lyrics say, I'm watching American Pie with you on a Saturday night.
Speaker 2: Friends around, so be quiet.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to stifle my size because I feel so high school every time I look at you.
Speaker 2: But look at you, so yeah, you're so hot.
Speaker 1: But also you're making me watch American Pie on a Saturday night with your friends.
Speaker 3: That honestly, like she's that's a brilliant comedic writing. It is like it's like a tweet that would kill me about Like yeah, like everything's going pretty good my boyfriend, except we do this thing called American Pie Saturday nights where his friends come over and we watch American.
Speaker 2: Pie the nineteen ninety eight or ninety nine fit. Like, I'm not laughing at her on that one.
Speaker 3: That shit is funny as hell visual Like, yo, that that's grim. I don't want to be part of that Saturday night.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anyways, just the idea.
Speaker 3: Of someone who insists on keeping watching American Pie like freaks me out.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday, April twenty second.
Speaker 2: We are back.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccines. Yep, time I don't think about white supremacy. And we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,