Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it, We did it collectively.
Speaker 3: Well, Fritzy was in here yesterday, so don't get full credit because you were.
Speaker 2: Only here four days. O.
Speaker 3: Well we made it to a Friday, a meet Friday at that, and Fritzi looks a little holier than he did the dey before.
Speaker 4: I do I feel like a glow. That's one of the guys said to me. Yeah, Camra Man Eric Week said there was a glow about me.
Speaker 3: Great, it's glad to have you back. Everybody's excited, right, Oh buddy.
Speaker 5: It's a happy, healthy new year. Let's get a go work.
Speaker 3: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America. The official trading cards of the program. First Hour brought to you by Mako. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. Mako brings your car back to life. Affordable pink choms like collision repairs. Get a free estimate.
Speaker 2: Today, Oh better get maco.
Speaker 3: Morale is high because it's a meat Friday and it's a King Sawaiian Meet Friday. Chef Greg is in town and that means high end sliders. We have the end around slider. We have the safety Blitz slider. We have the Flea Flicker slider, the RPO slider, and the Hail Mary Caesar salad. Who has it better than we do? No, lot, Yeah, I'm just looking. These are really elaborate sliders. Like you have maple bourbon pork tenderloin sliders, grilled lemon, herb chicken sliders. You have ham and cheddar, marbleized egg sliders. You have smoke turkey and pesto sliders, and then you have your caesar salad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, PAULI fantastic for tailgating. One hand on your slider, one hand on your drink.
Speaker 2: Yes, Todd.
Speaker 4: Is there a ruling place for like having one of every one of those? And I'm just trying to figure out. You know, sometimes we like to watch each other eat and tabulate what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Well, you did miss yesterday so only Oh yeah, I'm sorry, Todd.
Speaker 4: It was a high holy day I had, like a I didn't go out on my yacht or something like that, like sitting home being miserable, not eating anywhere.
Speaker 2: That's your choice, Betty.
Speaker 4: Think I should eat more today because I couldn't fit twenty four hours yesterday.
Speaker 3: Tigers beat the Guardians as they advanced, the Cubs over the Padres, they advance, and the Yankees blank the Socks.
Speaker 2: They all advance. It was fun yesterday.
Speaker 3: He had quality baseball during the day at night, and then big weekend Cubs, Brewers, Yankees, Blue Jays, Dodgers, Phillies, Tigers, and the Mariners. And then oh, by the way, the Niners, eight and a half point underdogs beat the Rams in Los Angeles in overtime, and the biggest play of the game in overtime, the Rams go for it on fourth and one, and this is how it sounded.
Speaker 2: Fourth down and one for the Rams.
Speaker 7: Niners lead by three, a chance to win it with a stop here in overtime. Stafford gets under center at the eleven yard line. He takes it, he turns, he gives the Karen Williams, he gets packed.
Speaker 2: I think he's.
Speaker 8: Short, Town, I think he's short.
Speaker 2: I have a forty nine ers store in the field.
Speaker 9: It is all over.
Speaker 10: The forty nine.
Speaker 2: Ers have won it in overtime here in LA.
Speaker 3: That's courtesy of KNBR, the Niners radio network. I get the call. I'm fine with the call, and you should be able to get one yard Kyron Williams. He giveth, he taketh the way also had a fumble in there as well. Here is Sean McVay on that fourth down call in overtime.
Speaker 11: It's a bad call. It's a bad call by me. Thought about maybe trying to draw him off sides. I took one, they took the other, and it was a poor decision by me right there. But you know, you give the Niners credit. They made enough plays to be able to win the football game. We had plenty of chances throughout this game. You know, we stayed in it, we fought, we battled. But I'm pretty sick right now. I'm sick of the spot that I put our group in to end the game. But hey, these are the tough beats that you got to be able to learn from and move forward, and that's what we're going to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't like the call. Wasn't very creative. Now they can't do it, you know, a tush push with Stafford in there. But I was a little bit surprised because Sewan is such a great offensive minded head coach. But give the Niners credit. It wasn't a question of who they had, but who they didn't. Have in that game. But that's the wounded animal and they were certainly that last night. You know, they stumbled into Rock party and they're stumbling into mac Jones. Give him credit, mac Jones. When you know, we realized that Rock Purty wasn't going to be able to play a couple of weeks ago, I said, they're not going to lose much.
Speaker 2: Mac Jones is good.
Speaker 3: You just don't want to believe it because what happened in New England when he had an offensive coordinator, they made the playoffs and he was a Pro Bowl quarterback. After that, I think he was dealt a bad hand. I think you had, you know, mixed emotions opinions on him as your franchise quarterback. The Niners were interested in him going into the draft, and they decided that they weren't going to take him. They went all in on Trey Lance, but they were interested in mac Jones. And now they got mac Jones and.
Speaker 2: He's played well.
Speaker 3: I couldn't help but think of the Bengals when I'm watching mac Jones, because they got somebody who has played at a pretty high level and he's your backup. You didn't spend a lot of money and then you have the Bengals with Jake Browning. Now I'm not saying that Mac Jones is the second coming of Joe Burrow, but if you have those weapons and you have an experienced quarterback, you might salvage something here. You know, this is the difference of the Niners with all their injuries. They're four and one and the Bengals are two and two, But it feels like a shaky, shakey two and two with Jake Browning.
Speaker 2: All right, eight seven seven to three.
Speaker 3: DP show email address dpat dan Patrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show come up with the pole question, got our play of the day stat of the day. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock CC Sabathia Hall of Famer will join us. He'll recap the baseball and then he'll preview the weekend matchups as well. He'll join us in an hour.
Speaker 2: Kurt will stop by.
Speaker 3: He'll preview the game's coming up this weekend and recap what we saw last night between these two teams. I had Christian McCaffrey as the Offensive Player of the Year. Pookainakua is the leading candidate right now according to DraftKings and followed by Christian McCaffrey. Now McCaffrey didn't get a lot of yards running, but you still want to go to him, you still want to be able to control the clock. He had twenty two carries, he had eight catches. That's the difference there. But Pooka Akua he had ten catches. Now they held him under one hundred yards, but he's plus two seventy five. Then it's McCaffrey, Jonathan Taylor, Bjeon Robinson, and James Cook. That's for the Offensive Player of the year. Seton what's the poll question? To start out hour one.
Speaker 10: Oh.
Speaker 3: By the way, Charlie Sheen will join us, and this is an interview that we taped two days ago, and that'll be coming up in a little more than an hour from now. The last time I spoke to him was fourteen years ago, February of twenty eleven, little under fourteen years ago, and we touched on a variety of things. He's got a documentary, he's got a book out and as you might expect, Charlie, when we spoke fourteen years ago, sounded and looked a whole lot different. And he didn't remember the interview that we did or the interviews that we did. It was back to back to back, and that's what started this crazy, crazy avalanche in his life. So we will take a trip down memory lane as I try to refresh his memory of what exactly we talked about fourteen years ago. All right, Seatan, I told you though when we had we're getting ready and I go, I don't know if he's going to remember this, and he didn't. But we'll bring you that interview we did about fourteen or fifteen minutes start to finish. You'll be able to hear everything. We didn't take anything out. All right, seton poll question.
Speaker 9: There be a Hall of Fame pitcher, hall of Fame?
Speaker 2: Quarterback, quarterback?
Speaker 9: No question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, quarterback quarterback? Yeah yeah.
Speaker 12: Is that because of the popularity of the NFL? Yeah, or the sort of diminishing of starting pitching.
Speaker 2: Well, if this was.
Speaker 3: In the sixties, seventies, eighties, then I would want to be a pitcher. But quarterbacks now that's royalty. Yeah, you can go into the Hall of Fame. If I said you could be Kurt Warner or CC Sabathia.
Speaker 2: I mean that's the question and that Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Both played on really good teams, high level Hall of famers, big and big moments, but both Hall of famers, yes, Ton, But.
Speaker 4: In general, if you have a shaky er a bed game in football, you only have a certain amount opportunities. In baseball, you got that many more outings to clean it up and prove yourself. You know, for me that alone, being able to get out there a lot more times than seventeen and if you're lucky in one or two more more time than that. I would like to be able to get the ball back as soon as possible if I screwed up.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just think quarterbacks are held in higher esteem certainly, you know, the last you know, five years, maybe, yeah, because once once Kershaw goes and Verlander goes, Max goes, I mean that's kind of it, you know, maybe schemes kind of holds on there. Uh, school ball is the best pitcher in baseball. Although the Yankees trotted out Schlitter last night and he was spectacular, and you know, a big time moment like that, and these these two pitchers, both of them look like you know that they were still in high school but playing at a very high level, and you know, that's a big time moment for you know, the Yankees. When you get a pitcher doing something that well normally isn't done in the postseason and in the history of the Yankees franchise, Cam Schlitter struck out twelve, allowed five hits, eight shutout innings, and he's the first pitcher in postseason history to throw at least eight shutout innings, twelve or more strikeouts and no walks. Trek Skubell was the only other pitcher this season to do that, and he's the best pitcher in the game. A lot of fun stuff. There were a couple of calls in the Cubs Padres game that will probably be used in the off season when the commissioner is presenting the automated balls and strikes because there were a couple of bad calls that went against the Padres and the Padres went all in. They traded away, you know, prospects. They went all in and man Tatis pick up a white courtesy phone. That was embarrassing, uninspired. It was like he strunk out three times, bunchado mean, they went all in and you got nothing to show for it. The potential for fun was there, Cubs, you know that was they got a good team. They escaped and now you have the matchup with Craig Counsel, the Cubs manager, former Brewers manager.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: The Yankees with the Blue Jays. America is going to get introduced to the Blue Jays. They're gonna be like, oh okay, they got a nice team here, Red Sox. I didn't I thought they would make the playoffs this year. They really didn't have much. They didn't spend a lot. Bregman good, good pick up, but they didn't really I don't know, there was nothing really there offensively for them. They kind of scratched out something there. You know, the Dodgers. We expect the Dodgers to be great. That matchup, that's the matchup you want in the NLCS. But you got it here with the Ds between these two, and that'll be a whole lot of fun, a whole lot of fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pony Dan, since you're talking baseball, I would like to thank you for your assistance last night. Oh yeah, a little side toppy. You and I had a little text thing going on last night and you were escorting me through the Cubs game in the tense moments would be a fair way to say it. You, especially in the ninth you said, never easy for the Cubs. But what you didn't say in your text to me was you got them. You didn't say you got them, yeah, because you can't say you got.
Speaker 2: You're gonna win, You'll be fine. Yes, it was. It was nice to have a shoulder, but I didn't know if you would be fine the other day.
Speaker 3: That's why I was like, you know, Eddie Vedder, I think's nervous here. Chris Chellio's is nervous here. But I love that atmosphere. Wrigley is a wonderful atmosphere jumping. But the Cubs got some young talent there.
Speaker 2: It was fun. It was fun.
Speaker 3: You know that tension. That's what you want. It's go home, Winter, go home. And I love the three games. I mean, it may not seem fair. You play one hundred and sixty two games and it comes down to a three games, Seri, I understand it, But you know, do your damage during the regular season then you don't have to worry about a three games here, sees s Marvin.
Speaker 13: No, no, no, no, be grateful you got a three game series because if this was forty years ago, I now only four teams out of the entire Major League even made it to the playoffs, just the alcs and nlcs, So be grateful that you got in.
Speaker 2: Seaton. What are we going to go with hour one?
Speaker 9: We're going to go with would you rather be a Hall of Fame pitcher? A Hall of Fame quarterback?
Speaker 12: We also have the most infamous interview in show history. Ooh me, I'm trying to keep it this era of the Dan Patrick Show. E.
Speaker 3: You know what, We'll take a break because Paulie's really good at this, because I forget these things. Paulie'll say, well, there's that and that and that, and then I'll go, oh, okay, some of them I forget. Some of them might want to forget, but for the most part, there's been some that have stood out. The audience is really good at this as well. To remind us of certain moments in show history, and we'll run down the list of candidates of best Now, how are you phrasing that seat? And are you saying best interviews?
Speaker 9: H No, I think most infamous?
Speaker 2: Oh, info infamous throw the m into infamous. Okay, but it's not infamous, it's infamous.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I n famous, infamous infinite, Yeah, you got that.
Speaker 5: Time I do the three hs come to mind, but I won't say specific no.
Speaker 3: Hold on, hold on, I'm not going to say names. Okay, but you do blurt out things when I tell you don't.
Speaker 4: I was not planning on saying specific names. Okay, just triple h that's all.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's we're gonna hold on here, Okay.
Speaker 3: Charlie Sheen in an hour, C C Sabbathia at the top of next hour, and then Kurt Warner will join us in the final hour of the program. A lot of things to get to. Glad you're part of the program, whether you're watching, listening, or watching and listening. We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick's Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: Hey, this is Jason McIntyre. Join me every weekday morning on my podcast, Straight Fire with Jason McIntyre. This isn't your typical sports pod pushing the same tired narratives down your throat.
Speaker 2: Every day.
Speaker 14: Straight Fire gives you honest opinions on all the biggest sports headlines, accurate stats to.
Speaker 1: Help you win big at the sportsbook.
Speaker 2: And all the best guests.
Speaker 14: Do yourself a favor and listen to Straight Fire with Jason McIntyre on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Return of the Mac Jones. All right, Niner Apologist Marvin Hottest Rookie's biggest Superstars the all Time Grade's the only place to collect him all. Panini Trading Cards, Official trading cards for The Dan Patrick Show, Instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts, and more. Start continue your collection now at Panini America.
Speaker 2: Got dat?
Speaker 15: All right?
Speaker 3: We're trying to come up with the whole question, and somebody suggested our most infamous interviews Charlie Sheen in an hour from now. What are some of these suggestions? The candidates there seton, well.
Speaker 12: We have the original Charlie Sheen interview obviously, Okay, Matt Harvey and the Qualcom interview is legendary. Now the problem becomes, do we dip back into the Mothership era of the show with things like Tanya Harding. Oh, Tanya Harding is a legendary interview, but it feels like a different version of the show. That's true, Like somebody else also just referred this one goes way back. But our friends in Nebraska just say the Mickey Rivers interviews will forever be just the best.
Speaker 16: He got.
Speaker 3: He was going through a toll booth and he's the former Yankee center fielder, and he gets pulled over because he's talking on his cell phone while going through a toll booth. And then he's trying to say that he's talking to mister Steinbrenner. And and so we're live on the radio and he's telling the police officer, Hey, I'm on the phone with George Steinbrenner. And he was on the phone with me live on the radio. And I could only pick out one out of every four words with Mickey because he talked so fast, and that one, that one was that was entertaining, That was entertaining.
Speaker 2: I even said to him, said, Mickey, what what are you doing?
Speaker 3: And he said that, you know, he got pulled over because he was on his cell phone. And I said, but you said you were talking to George Steinbrenner and he said, yeah, I'm trying to get out of a ticket. Yes, Todd, I don't know how you did that.
Speaker 5: He was impossible to understand. I don't even know how you picked up one and up every six or seven words. That was just beyond garbled.
Speaker 3: Yes, do you have a little bit of Mickey Rivers marmons?
Speaker 15: You see the team's gonna be a Latin, so you know you did. Whether he gets a social boom with most less, be this a star? Gaby guy.
Speaker 2: My favorite part is to laugh.
Speaker 3: It's a good job up Like he told something really funny and I didn't understand one word of it.
Speaker 2: But he did and he's like, it's the best.
Speaker 3: Give it to me one more tame. Here's Mickey Rivers, former Major League baseball player.
Speaker 15: You see the team is going to be a Latin, so you know you whether it gets a social big boom one move more.
Speaker 17: Or less to be this a star?
Speaker 15: Gaby guy.
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I got a couple of words at the beginning, and I don't have any of the words after that. Uh, Whitey Herzog was not a good interview.
Speaker 9: I don't want to talk to you anymore.
Speaker 2: That was not good. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 6: Whitey Herzog was a former Cardinal manager during a tough time for the Cardinals, and they pitched a book to us that he had and they said, he's willing to talk about all the different things, including the cocaine issues that the Cardinals had in the early eighties. They suggested that as one of the topics you doing your job. I asked about it. He got very upset and they said, I don't want to talk to you and hung up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they gave me bullet points. Bullet points.
Speaker 3: They said, hey, here's some things that he wants to talk about. Great, and I'm thinking, wait, he wants to talk about cocaine with some of his former players. Okay, sure, we'll have him on. And the interview is not going well. And then all of a sudden, I go, hey, well, what about the cocaine use of your players? Like that's going to be the go to and now he's going to really expound upon this. And then that's when he didn't want to talk to me. And I thought, I said, Fritzie, get ahold of the book.
Speaker 2: People, it was in the.
Speaker 4: Press release, in the book notes that come like in the flap of the book fader, to make sure you cover those things.
Speaker 5: It's insane.
Speaker 3: How about when Commissioner Stern was scolding me, who the plaver?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The plaver?
Speaker 6: Yeah, PAULI that was the Phoenix Suns playoff series where guys went off the bench but they didn't get in a fight.
Speaker 2: Mary Stodemayer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you were saying, Commissioner, don't you have the power to overrule the rule and let these guys play for the sake of competitiveness? And he goes, oh, I see, And then it went south.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because these guys all they they were beating up Steve Nash. The spurs were roughing him up and he got knocked into the scorer's table. Amari Stotdenmayer got up off the bench and then he got suspended. And I, I know it's a rule, but I thought, you know what, he wasn't engaging, He didn't throw any punches, but he got out of a certain area.
Speaker 2: Therefore he was going to be suspended.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, you know he put me in my place.
Speaker 9: Let me write that down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dear, that's when I knew I was in trouble.
Speaker 6: Remember after the show, we all had to go upstairs.
Speaker 2: That's not what you got to do with ESPN.
Speaker 3: Well, that's when you were finding out if management was actually listening, because all of a sudden you had people out side of the radio booth at the mother Ship and they're all like looking in like what is going on in there? And I came out and they're like, oh my god, that was great radio. I go it was, yeah, but you got to go upstairs after the show. Management wants to talk to you, like, go, oh boy, yes.
Speaker 5: How about the very outspoken Kyler Murray during Super Bowl Week? That was a good time.
Speaker 3: That was certainly infamous. Yeah, that's one of those where I went.
Speaker 2: Is is this happening? This is happening right right? We should be able to put five on there.
Speaker 9: Seatan Yeah, yeah, right now for this era of the show.
Speaker 12: I think we have room for four actually, so kind of go with Charlie Sheen, Matt Harvey, and Kyler Murray. We'll see if there's other ones that added.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, a couple of phone calls in here. Aiden and Utah leads us off. Hi Aiden, good morning, welcome back.
Speaker 17: Good morning for me. Kyler Murray and Howard Stern's but chees are the two they always come to mind. You're talking about Anthemius. I don't know if that one.
Speaker 3: Counts, but because that was on Sports Center when you when you had you know one of Howard Stern's guys call in. That's when I thought I was interviewing Steve Bartman. But that that one doesn't count because that that stands alone with Sports Center.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I want this is incredibly off topic, but I've been trying to call him last couple of days. Talk to you about it. You're a thing with Russell Wilson and and if he reversed his career, he had even a better career or identical to Matthew Stafford's. And to me, that just doesn't work right because if you we'll discard the Giant, the Giants doesn't count. But he goes to Pittsburgh, you play six games, you go to the playoffs, you have a good supporting cast, you have a great defense, you have great receivers, and you don't get anything done. You go to Denver and you're pretty much boot it out of there before you can even start. And then by the time you get to Seattle and you finally have a good defense and a good you're you're carried through Super Bowl by that defense. And Stafford won in Detroit with a terrible supporting cast. He didn't have enough to get it done.
Speaker 2: He didn't win anything, but he was phenomenal.
Speaker 17: He was I mean, he was an elite quarterback in Detroit. I don't feel like Wilson has ever been superb anywhere else for side Seattle with the Sporting.
Speaker 2: Cast, did Russ ever have Calvin Johnson?
Speaker 17: Okay, listen, that's a no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Stafford. If he doesn't win the Super Bowl, is he's not a Hall of Famer?
Speaker 2: I don't think. I mean he's He was.
Speaker 3: Great, He played hard, he played hurt, and he was the reason why you watched the Lions.
Speaker 2: But there's a lot of hatred for Russell Wilson. I mean, if Russ got hurt three years ago and didn't play in Denver and didn't play in Pittsburgh and didn't play in New York, is he a Hall of Famer? And the answer is yes, he's not.
Speaker 9: Only is he a hall of Famer's god?
Speaker 2: What if?
Speaker 9: What a shame?
Speaker 15: Was?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, he was a whole lot better in Seattle than people are giving him credit for the Legion. The boom went away when Russ was twenty seven, so five through ten they didn't have a good defense, they still made the playoffs. One year he threw forty touchdown passes. He never had a marquee receiver, Like where you went? That guy's going to the Hall of Fame, Doug Baldwin.
Speaker 12: Yes, but more than anything, the thing that really hurt Russ, like, I mean, just as much as his play, if not even more so, is the whole let Russ cook era people being like, when are you going to get the training meals off of this guy?
Speaker 9: Let him cook, let him play, let him play, let.
Speaker 12: Him cook, And then they did and he was terrible, and that was about like, Oh, I guess you guys knew what you were doing. You knew exactly how to use him, and we shouldn't have been doing all this, that's the problem.
Speaker 3: But he did have a couple of seasons over thirty five touchdown passes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, point.
Speaker 6: His last five years in Seattle, he threw thirty four touchdowns, thirty five touchdowns thirty one, forty and twenty five. He never threw more than thirteen interceptions.
Speaker 12: Yes, Marvin, So was he already cooking though, or what was the hole let him cook thing?
Speaker 15: Then?
Speaker 12: If he was already throwing all these touchdown passes, how much more were we supposed to be letting him cook?
Speaker 2: Well? That was a bad phrase to use.
Speaker 9: That's what killed them.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, because we were waiting to see Magic, We were waiting to see Peyton.
Speaker 2: We are waiting to see Drew Brees.
Speaker 9: If he was already kirk On, why did people want him to cook?
Speaker 13: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, the Seatons point about the we iffactor. I think that's more important to get into Hall of Fame nowadays, because you've seen it with guys like Terrell Davis and Sterling Sharp. If you stop at a certain point because of injury or you retire early, it gives you a better chance to go into the Hall of Fame instead of having these uneventful years like russ Is having.
Speaker 2: Jake and Buffalo. Hi, Jake, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 18: Heyden? I always good talk about a sneaky great interview moment of the time when Peter King got pulled over and got a ticket for being on the phone with you during an interview. But we can talk about that another day, because today I'm just here to honor and talk about Qualkoff.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Jake.
Speaker 3: How is Qualcomm not a sponsor on this show? And then they should be a sponsor on this show?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Fully, Another one that should make the list, suggested about a couple listeners Scottie Pippen around the Last Dance about four years ago. I'm not going to paraphrase what mister Pippen had to say about Phil Jackson and Michael Jordan. You can go back and listen, but it was scorched earth and it was a big topic, especially in Chicago but elsewhere.
Speaker 3: That's where he was doing an interview, and he you know, if you talk about Lebron and Michael, then everybody picks up on it, which okay, you know, Scotty, you know, it would depend on each week or each month, and.
Speaker 2: He would shift.
Speaker 3: He'd be like, oh, Mjay was the greatest, and it'd be like Scotty says that Lebron's better than Mike. Oh my gosh, clickbait. And then he said something about Phil Jackson and that he wanted, you know, a white guy Tony Kookoach to hit a game winning shot and put Scotty on the bench. And I said, wait a minute, hold on, here's that's that's the interview. That's I said, get Scotty on, and he doubled down on it, basically calling Phil Jackson a racist and I thought, do you realize what you're doing, what you're saying? And he said yes. I thought, wow, yes, Marv.
Speaker 13: It was a part in an interview where he got testy with you and asked you if you spoke English. I was like, dp's better than me. You were professional after he said that.
Speaker 3: And I didn't know why he was angry at me, because he's the one that created the scenario where I was going to be asking these questions.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Pauline Scotti reference about being racial that he wasn't playing and so forth, And you said, by saying it's a racial move, then you're calling Phil Jackson a racist. Scotty Pippen said, I don't know a problem with that. And you follow up saying do you think Phil was?
Speaker 2: And he said, oh yes.
Speaker 6: You gave multiple chances to backpedal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I was trying to have him understand the magnitude of what he was saying, and he didn't understand it, and I thought, Okay, I'm gonna try it again. And then I tried it again and he said the same thing, and I thought, I don't give a damn what he thinks of Lebron and Michael Jordan but I do care what he thinks about Phil Jackson. That to me was alarming. Tommy and Florida. I Tommy, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Hey, six foot one eighty seven jack I just want to say hi to Frenzy. That pass whole shirts fantastic and you're the best interview by far is the Kyler Murray one. I had to watch that like six times. I thought, no one's gonna draft this guy? And Dan, how you kept it together during that? I have no idea. That was the most bizarre interview I've ever seen in my entire life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I kept thinking, Okay, does he realize what he's doing to himself? Because I was told after that that there were teams that were like teams were passing the interview around because they asked for a copy of it, and they wanted to let you know, management, no gms know, Hey, if we're interested in this guy or trading up for this guy, let's reconsider this.
Speaker 2: And there were three teams that I was told did this. He just sat there and I was given a headshet.
Speaker 3: Seatan's Kyler Murray. And this is where we weren't sure was he going to play baseball? Was he going to play football. That was the topic. His dad was in the room. We're in Atlanta, super Bowl week. He's promoting Gatorade. I'm like, all right, you know product placement. Bring your gatorade down and I'm going to throw some softball pitches to you. And all of a sudden, he didn't talk.
Speaker 2: I go like, wait, what's going on here?
Speaker 3: And I couldn't. I wasn't going to move on. I thought, you know what, You're not going to embarrass me. I don't work for Gatorade. They don't sponsor this show. I don't care if you look silly promoting gatorade. But you're here and I'm going to ask you questions. It is, you know, quid pro quo. You get a product, you get to say something about it. I get to ask you questions. That's how it works. And I was told prior to the draft that he wasn't going to play baseball because he was going to be the number one pick in the draft. But the mystery I didn't have the answer, and I told him that. Now his dad is one hundred feet away in this spacious room. I start interviewing his dad across the room because he kept looking at his dad to see what he could say or not say. So I finally started interviewing his dad one hundred feet away. It was one of those where I got I got done with it. I was I was angry, man, I was like, you got to be kidding me. And I think some people lost jobs. At least one person lost a job as a part of that, not on my staff. But no, I can't fire anybody. But that was one of those where I go, how does this that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: I immediately turned to Fritzy because Fritzy does the great job of booking everybody, even with Matt Harvey, with Qualcomb, and I always go to Fritzy.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what the hell happened?
Speaker 3: And Fritzi goes Nobody told me that Matt Harvey only wanted to talk about QUALCOMM. I was not told that, don't bring up baseball with Kyler Murray. Now, occasionally we'll get people who want to know the questions and I don't want to. I don't want to give you questions. I'll give you topics that I'm going to talk about. And you know, I've had people say we need each each question and Pauli's like that we won't have them on. That's not that's not how you interview. You know, I'm not going to give you the answers and then I'm gonna, you know.
Speaker 2: Ask the question.
Speaker 3: I'll give you topics, but I'm not giving you questions, because.
Speaker 2: That's the element of the interview.
Speaker 4: Yes, Tom the agent, publicist, you know, tempr preson, whoever you we're dealing with. For a particular guest, you've got at least be upfront and give us the opportunity to talk about it. I just want to let you guys know he's not going to talk about ABC and D and then at least we have the right to say, is it worth having this person on? If these are topics we can't get into. Usually it's not because those are the juicy things to get into. But don't just mixup, make believe everything's fine, and then on the air live all of a sudden, you're not going to say anything.
Speaker 3: But we've had somebody. Now, Barry Bonds, he had this moment in spring training where he's going to change his reputation. And I said to Fritzie, I said, I see where Barry Bonds is, you know, wants to be a nice guy. And I go let's book him. Right before I start the inner Paulie is talking to the PR guy, and the PR guy goes, Barry just wants to talk about his home security system business. I go what, And so Pauli goes, well, he's got to talk baseball now. He just wants to talk about home security system. I said, now, we're not doing it. I'm not doing it. Get out of here. But there are times when you have people who suggest, Now this has happened a couple of times. PR people will go, hey, don't bring up and I'll go, wait what now, I'm not going to get out the name. But there was a PR person and it was like, hey, whatever you do he didn't want to talk about And I'll.
Speaker 2: Go, wait, what about that?
Speaker 12: We didn't even know that that was a thing. We had no idea that that was even a thing. What happened there?
Speaker 2: Now? I want to know, Yes, Paulie, he was a musician.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna say, well, no.
Speaker 2: We can't. I don't want to go anywhere with this. No, No, I don't want to do bounce back. I didn't say what kind of us? I don't yes time, and so you don't.
Speaker 4: Get cured right before the interview say oh, by the way, don't ask about ABC, and they gotta let us no days in advance, and then we have an opportunity to say, you know what, then we're just not gonna do it.
Speaker 3: How about we take a break. We'll take a break. Our play of the day is up next. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search f s R to listen live.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the play of the day.
Speaker 2: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 5: Check this out.
Speaker 4: The first pitch, the Duran swing on the little looper down the left, down the third day side.
Speaker 5: Look, Adley, I don't get hurt. Mcm loss into the dugout.
Speaker 4: They did a total fact.
Speaker 5: McMahon is up, but he's good to go.
Speaker 14: Yeah, what a play.
Speaker 3: I have no idea what was said in there. At least a little portion of that. Ryan McMahon say, catch falling into the red Sox. Back up, Ryan McMahon. He's been a Gold Glove finalist each of the last four seasons. That's your play of the day. Play of the Day is brought to you by Simply Safe. How about a security system that is proactive, not reactive. That's what simply Safe does. Typical security systems are reactive. Simply Safe help stop crime before it even starts. Get fifty percent off your new system. Go to simplysafetan dot com. There's no safe like simply Safe. Mason in Texas, Hi, Mason, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Five eleven of Mickey Rivers two?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 16: It's the Matt Harvey interview.
Speaker 19: That's the secretariat Dan, an uncomfortable interview that runs.
Speaker 17: Away with it.
Speaker 16: Y'all played that on the archive clips recently. I had to turn the show off and not look people in the eye for the rest of the day. It's so uncomfortable. I just asked chat GPT what it thought.
Speaker 19: Of that interview, and this just shows you how AI isn't perfect yet. It said that Harvey was on the show to promote a condition called overactive bladder in Man love the show, Dan, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, Thank you. Mason.
Speaker 3: When I asked him about his injury and he said, I'm here only to talk about qualcomm.
Speaker 2: If I could have killed Fritzy with a.
Speaker 3: Look, I would have been a mass murder because I went, how is this happening. This is a guy who was with the Mets, so you're in the media capital of the world. He had elbow or shoulder issues, and I thought, Okay, he's coming on, he's got a product. I got to ask him a couple of baseball questions and he said, all I talked about that yesterday, like he didn't talk to me, and that's when he wanted to talk about Qualcomm.
Speaker 2: Here's a little portion of Matt Harvey.
Speaker 17: I did all those answers yesterday, and you know, maybe at the appropriate time we can talk a little bit more about that.
Speaker 15: But obviously, you know, today's about Qualcomm.
Speaker 2: Obviously, what a great pitch man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the appropriate time, you're doing a national sports talk show interview right now.
Speaker 2: Only at the appropriate time.
Speaker 12: The injury was just announced the night before, yes announced, it was just made.
Speaker 3: But he had talked to the beat writers and then he felt like he had, you know, done his due diligence.
Speaker 2: Here I talk about that.
Speaker 3: You know, now I'm moving on and I'm obviously I'm here to talk about Qualcomb.
Speaker 2: Yea, Paul.
Speaker 6: The minute that show was over, the pr person who set it up, who Fritzy and I have known for a long time. Yeah, goes, Oh my god, I'm so sorry. How do we fix this? And we said, have them called back tomorrow And there was a lot of back and forth over the next twelve hours.
Speaker 2: It was wild.
Speaker 4: Yes, you stayed professional, but how much did you want to say, Matt, don't you think it'd be odd to have you on the show on a sports talk show and only talk about Qualcomb and do it infomercy with you and not talk it all about baseball like you're a major league pitcher that's done with this serious arm injuries.
Speaker 5: Don't you think that would be odd of us have you on to just do that.
Speaker 3: I had somebody earlier in the week who wanted to come on and only talk about one thing and had nothing to do with the sport that they're associated with, and I said, no, I'm not having a five minute infomercial. I'm just I'm not going to do that to my audience. And I even went back to the person said you've got to talk about your sport. Yeah, but not this time. I go, there's not another time that's not happening. But it's live. You know, ninety nine point nine percent of the interviews we do are live. Because I want that feeling as an interviewer. I want that feeling and that sometimes you get that. Sometimes you get what you asked for. You wanted it live, you got qualcomm Mike and Madison. Hi Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Hey?
Speaker 8: Thanks Dan for a time long time six foot sausage of fueled two twenty five. I think you guys have done a great job. Aaron down about the best sound Bud interview interviews, but I got to go to one that really showcases your breath.
Speaker 16: Of interviewing, and it's when you interviewed Ray.
Speaker 8: Navis from the Secretary of the Navy. Like I go back to that one a lot, Uh and just watch it because it's just so great.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: He's he's so humble, You're is so great. You ask him some fun questions like we name.
Speaker 2: A boat after us?
Speaker 8: When you're done. Uh, it's just a great interview.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Mike. He was such a gentleman. He came in studio and you know he allowed us to have fun.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 2: Carlos and El Paso, Hi, Carlos.
Speaker 17: Hey DP six four.
Speaker 16: Hey DP.
Speaker 18: So the first interview that comes to mind when you guys talk about the most infamous interview is a Mike Tyson interview where he just wouldn't stop talking.
Speaker 16: His wheat for him.
Speaker 17: I've gone back to so many times over he is, thanks.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Carlos.
Speaker 3: He was at his kitchen table, eating cereal and talking about his pot farm or his pot growing business and giggling like you.
Speaker 2: It's one or the other. With Mike.
Speaker 3: It's either he doesn't say anything or he can't stop talking.
Speaker 2: Yes, Ton, And he can't seem.
Speaker 4: To understand why people would want to talk to him about his boxing career as opposed to his love of pigeons or whatever else he's doing on his farm.
Speaker 5: It seems insane to me.
Speaker 2: I interviewed him in nineteen eighty six. That was the first time. And do you think he's a tough interview now?
Speaker 3: Back then he wasn't worldly at all, and he would have talked about his pigeons gladly talked about his pigeons.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was on some show.
Speaker 5: I saw some. He told one reporter, I feel like, you know, punching you into face it. He's like saying this to the interview, like threatening him because he didn't like to lene question.
Speaker 3: Uh, you're never quite sure, because I've had Mike on recently and I didn't think it went well at all, But then the previous time, it's like he can't he can't stop talking.
Speaker 2: He's my best friend. Oh boy, good friends like that.
Speaker 5: Who are you enemies?
Speaker 18: Right there?
Speaker 3: CC Sabathia Hall of Famer will join us and the Charlie Sheen Interview fourteen years later, hour two on the Meet Friday right after this