Speaker 1: Official Pause presented by win Bet Betting's a team sport the bet together at win Bet. Eric Gallen here together with my longtime partner in crime, Bart Scott. April twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, the Jets come to an agreement acquiring Aaron Rodgers from the Green Bay Packers. Of course a couple particulars have to be worked out, but it appears that deal is imminent. As far as dot nives crossing the tees your thoughts.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it was, you know, sweet music, right. We've been waiting for this to happen. We anticipated was going to happen. We knew it was going to happen. We understand that, you know, when you think about Dill's deadline breeds action and the fact that we had assault our first actual salt deadline, which is you know, the starter drive on Thursday. But then our hard day was probably the second day on Friday, as Green Bay was probably adamant and making sure that they get compensation this year so that they can improve their football team.
Speaker 3: It is what we really thought it was. I know, we can get.
Speaker 2: Around the semantics and you know the nuance of the deal, but basically they gave up a second second round pick this year in the first conditional first next year you can get into.
Speaker 3: Okay, they moved from thirteen to fifteen.
Speaker 2: I feel like anybody that the Jets want, you know, and I think they'll be targeting an offensive lineman.
Speaker 3: It's still there.
Speaker 2: The only issue I have is the fact that if the New England Pagers want to go to build their line, they can potentially take, you know, a lineman that the Jets covet. But I think that it's four linemen you know in this draft that I think is the A side. And I think because of you know, quarterbacks getting over evaluated and overdrafted, that you know it's going to be maybe three, probably four and then a run on the big guys in.
Speaker 3: Corner and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: I can't see for lineman getting picked in the first fifteen picks, So.
Speaker 4: You think somebody's going to be there.
Speaker 1: Okay, a draft compensation aside Aaron Rodgers coming to the Jets, What does this do for this organization? We saw the Jets take steps forward last year obviously four wins and Robert Solad's first season when they went to a complete youth movement.
Speaker 4: Then they knock it out of the park.
Speaker 1: In last year's draft, get the offensive Rookie of the Year and Garrett Wilson Defensive Rookie of the Year and saw Us Gardner. That draft also included Breest Hall. Of course, we saw this team take a lot of steps forward, almost doubled its win total in twenty twenty two seven wins. If health had stayed for the Jets over the course of those last games, are probably a playoff team. You add Aaron Rodgers to this roster right now, what does this make the Jets?
Speaker 2: It makes them formidable, makes them a true truth contender for this division. And you think about, okay, what the Jets would have been with just a little bit better play.
Speaker 3: Now, it's still some holes here.
Speaker 2: Because that they that they had that they didn't have last year, and it's more depth at the defensive line position. You know, the fact that you lost Sheldon Rankings, and you know you have some you know, some some holes to fill there. But you feel confident that now you have the powder drive. And let's see if Aaron Rodgers alters this deal to make it more cap friendly to go out and be able to you know, get some other talent much like Tom Brady did, uh, he can he can ease the salary cap so he can go out there and bring in a Randall Cobb missing out on O'Dell Beckham. You know, and this gives to Jets the ability to focus on the draft and the secondary free agent in June second. I happen to wait to after June second to see if you know, green Baby's going to pick up the the the option to have to pay it. I think, you know, this gives them the ability to focus on the draft, to be able to make moves and future moves. Right you think about the Jets and where they are being able to kind of solidify the quarterback position. Now you have to build around Aaron Rodgers. You've done a great job with Mkole Harmon, You've got Alan Lazard, you have Garrett Wilson. You know, we'll figure out what else happens because the Jets have an abundance of receivers right now. And you know, you think about Corey Davis still been there, and you know, you think about opportunities for the Jets to make moves if the if certain certain players dropping the draft, being able to move back into the first round. I think this also gives the ability to say, you know what, and it gives Green Bay the ability to say, you know what, we have a conditional pick and now they can't really move that. I mean, now I inticipate Aaron Rodgers is going to play more than sixty five percent of the snaps.
Speaker 3: You know. I think that he's going to be healthy.
Speaker 2: He's been a road warrior for the last five years, not missing the game on the game that he missed was due to the COVID suspension.
Speaker 3: But he's been durable.
Speaker 2: He's a guy that knows how to protect himself, get the ball out of his hands.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I expect the Jets to go get him protection as well, to be able to have more depth on the offensive line, because that's the only weak spot, you know, when you look at the depth that Max Mitchell brings.
Speaker 3: Always says his name wrong, Herbick. I always said, I just said, funny.
Speaker 4: He's signed with Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Actually Herbert Okay, Herbick.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, I think the sign of Theconnor McGovern was a tremendous signing. Being able to have some continuity, a guy that knows the system, of guy that they're familiar with, you know, and now that allows them to say, you know what, if we need to get some more depth on the offensive guard. They think about a guy coming in and Becting's healthy, if Dwayne Brown's healthy, you can go out and get a guy that plays tackle, but that can play guard as well. And you think about the kid from Georgia who has the same type of size to be able to move outside and inside. And you know a lot of people don't realize guys like Jonathan Ogden came in the league as a tackle but played guard their first year. You got Bear Tucker, who gives you more security on the outside, proven that he can play left tackle or right tackle. You know, so now you go out there and draft somebody. Now you have a guy. Now you have two guys that can play garden attack. You got Beer Tucker in a pinch that showed he can play at a high level. Hell, he can do anything at a high level. And then you bring in a rookie, you coach him up and he can play at that level as well. I can't wait to see what the Justs do in the draft, but also I can't wait to see what they do in the secondary free agent market, which is June twid. When you have guys that's going to be designated to be released after your team see what they got in the draft.
Speaker 4: You're getting way ahead of me right now.
Speaker 1: What does Rogers bring to the table as far as physically at this point in his career. You're a guy who played against him. What makes him so special? Why has he been able to do this at an elite level for eighteen years?
Speaker 2: He's cerebral right when you think about the guys that have played latent to their career and flourished, and he's one of them. You talk about less than four hundred days or five hundred days ago, he was the reigning MVP, you know, and won the War as the best football player in all of football because the game is less physical. You hear Tom Brady speak about it as well, that the game has become easier because of the rules are slided in the offensive way. So maybe he's not you know, the Aaron Rodders is going to get out and run for four hundred and five hundred yards, make you pay every time you play cover one.
Speaker 3: But he's still a guy that can manipulate the defense.
Speaker 2: He's a guy that knows all the tricks, he can smoke you out, and I think he still has a lot of athleticism back and he becomes, you know, one of the most athletic quarterbacks that we've had, you know, under center, with the combination of being able to beat you with his mind and his body when need be. He still has to, in my opinion, a lot more juice left in his body than say a Peyton Manning had at this time when he was starting to win a Super Bowl. He's always going to have more athleticism than Tom Brady because he was a super athletic quarterback that can do things physically that those two guys were more stationary. He's a mobile quarterback that may have lost a step, but it's still more mobile than the drop back passers. So he still can hurt you in the numerous amount of ways, his mind being the most deadly. And we know he's a guy that doesn't turn traditionally turned the ball over. You know, he had more turnovers last year than he had in like his career since his rookie year. But you know, considering he was playing with younger receivers and also you know, a depleted offensive line last year, you you expect Aaron Rodgers and even with that, that still was a great year for most quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: It would have been one of the best single seasons in Jets franchise history. If you line his stats against any Jet quarterback.
Speaker 2: Would have broken hand. So yeah, so you asked me, how excited I am I about this. I'm extremely excited because the Jets have all the other pieces now they have to come together. He brings some instant credibility. He also, you know, gives them the belief that you know that they can play at a high level. And he also raises young players level because you don't want to be the person that's holding this team back. So I think, you know, when you think about it, you know that the Jets are going for going for it right now, and they're not rebuilding, They're not waiting for a young quarterback to develop. They're saying, hey, the pieces that we have on this team is good enough to compete for a championship. So this is a winning play. And you know, if you say, hey, you got the you got Aaron Rodgers for a second round and a late first round the following year, you would probably say that is a pretty damn good deal.
Speaker 3: Being that he was an.
Speaker 2: MVP less than four hundred, four hundred days ago. Just let that sink and forget the age you got. You got an MVP for a second round draft pick and a low first round draft pick right after. We know everything that Russell Wilson just went for. We know everything that Deshaun Watson went for. The reality is you got the better of all of both deals, and you you gave up limited compensation, and because you drafted so well, your team is so young, you can absorb the salary cap no problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll have to look at the finer details of the contract when that all comes out, if there is a restructure here. But let me ask you this, what do you think about the pairing of him and Nathaniel Hackett. It's not just Aaron Rodgers walking in the door and he's leading the Jets. It's Aaron Rodgers walking in the door and he's reunited with the guy that you keep on talking about was the MVP the National Football League four hundred and five hundred days ago, and not only was the MVP in twenty twenty one, he's the MVP in twenty twenty as well. And the guy who's the offensive coordinator who he loves. He's on the record and saying that repeatedly is Nathaniel Hackett.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean you talk about the parent, you talk about also the ability to hit the ground running. You know, you have Alan Lazard to try and be a teacher to the receiving corps. You know you have Aaron Rodgers also being able to be somebody. Usually when you have quarterbacks that destinations, they have to learn a new offense. Remember Peyton Manning going to Denver and having to merge what his beliefs were with Gary Kubiak. Remember Tom Brady having to have the same adjustment payod having to learn new verbis, new system and try and pair what he believes in with Bruce Aaron. Well, the beliefs are already in the line. The communication ares in line. The nuance of being able to make checks and adjustments already there. It's for everybody else to pick up, not the quarterback. And the quarterback is the one that needs to know it better because he's the one who's going to be communicating with these guys to get him in the right play. I mean, when's the last time that you've ever seen a Jet quarterback rush to the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: Catch people with twelve minute on the field get a free play.
Speaker 2: When's the last time you've seen some I know, the artistry of being able to work the Kadians count. The Jets get a Jedi right now, he gets a guy that is so sophisticated and so advanced as a quarterback and the nuance of playing the position that it's going to catapault them to the top of this division. I still work to be done, but this, you know, this gives them more than a fighters chance to win. You know, you think about you know, they've already they already plus two twenty five to win. And it's before the draft. And if Joe Douglas knocks the draft out of the park like he did the previous year.
Speaker 3: In my pinion, the year.
Speaker 2: Before, I mean, we got a lot to celebrate in this New York Area era. And you know we can say, hey, this was the beginning of the turnaround for New York sports and the Jets, you know season as far as being able to get back into playoffs, and a guy like Aaron Rodgers attracts young players that you know, it's still a bunch of talented, talented players still out there and it's going to be more added. But if you say, hey, Aaron Rodgers out there, people are saying, you know, and listen, I wonder what DeAndre Hopkins feels now, right. I remember what he said when when they asked me about the teams there.
Speaker 3: Now you got that bad man there.
Speaker 2: I wonder how you feel because you can't say that Josh Allen is a better quarterback than can't say to a tongue of by lowd is a better quarterback than Aaron Rodgers. You damn sure can't say, you know, mc and cheese is a better quarterback than Aaron Rodgers. So if he felt like that before about going to Buffalo, what does he feel about the Jets now? And that's still something that's obtainable. I mean, you talk about Corey Davis being there, You talk about, you know, DeAndre Hopkins not wanting to adjust this contract. We were in the running for Ordell Beckham. We had a deal out there for him. You know, if you can afford O'Dell Beckham, then you know, I don't think Jet fans would be upset if the second round pick was used for DeAndre Hopkins.
Speaker 1: You're a Detroit kid, You started your career in Baltimore.
Speaker 4: You loved it there.
Speaker 1: You came to the Jets and you not only thrived, but you embrace the culture of the organization and this area so much so in fact, that you're living here to this day. What do you think about Rogers coming to this organization one and to the New York area.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I'm a little I'm a little pissed off, right because I saw a list done by S and Y and they had the ten most popular who owns this city?
Speaker 3: Stuff?
Speaker 2: And not one Jet was on there. It's two giants, a bunch of Knicks, right, New Knicks too, like Jalen Brunson, you know, Julius Randall. Yes, I understand, how the hell was can you not have Breist Hall or I can you not have Garrett Wilson or Sauce Gardener even on there?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: But you got Daniel Jones. So if Daniel Jones, I'm expecting that list to be hit the refreshed button like tomorrow, and I expect A a Ryan to be on there because I believe he becomes the biggest star in New York. I mean, he's proven, he's certified. Right, No, No, none, of those other guys are certified. None of those other guys have MVPs other than Aaron Judge. None of those other guys have a championship. So I'm gonna need the refresh button. I'm gonnaed a whole lot of respect put on the Jets name name, and I want to applaud Joe Douglas for making sure that it's the right deal, right, And he didn't get fleeced. He didn't give up this year's one. He swapped once right, and that's a big difference. And the fact that he stood strong and he knew that the day was going to come where he was going to be able to close the deal. It just wasn't on the timing of the fans in the media, but it was right on time because it's right before the draft and they still have an opportunity to go to their draft board and accomplish everything that they want.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so get back to the question, though, what do you think of Rogers is going to think about this organization in this area. I know, as far as the pantheon, you said, as far as current athletes, you put Rogers to the top, But what do you think about his second act per se being on Broadway, and also him coming here to an organization that's starving for a winner, but has great leadership structure in place. You mentioned Joe Douglas obviously the connection that he has with Robert Salah. Those guys totally revamped this roster over the last couple of years where they've put it in position now Bart where you can have a winner immediately walking in the door.
Speaker 3: Well, I think he's gonna feel right at home.
Speaker 2: I think he's going to see a lot of similarities between the Jets organization and the and the Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 3: Right. You talk about a legacy organization.
Speaker 2: The Jets, you know, is originally from the AFL, you know, but they're still an original kind of core team.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: This is a brand name. This isn't an expansion team. This is a team with a long history, a rich history, right. And I think he's going to find that when he when he walks around he sees the passion of the fans, He's going to find that he's gonna see a lot of similarities between the affection that teams and generation generations of fans and you know, fathers with their grandfathers with their kids, all being Jet fans and season ticket holders. So I think he'll feel a sense of tradition. You know, the first time he hears the Jets sound when he comes out of the tunnel, he's going to think, you know, he's going to see that Jet fans are obsessed, much like I believe Jalen Brunton saw yesterday when they played in the Garden and how these guys acted in the fans acted after the game, you know, flooding seventh, seventh Avenue. The Jets are going to bring that same type of energy, the hysteria, the pandemonium. I think he's going to find itself in very comfortable situations. I think people are going to respect this privacy. He's gonna understand that too, that he can blend in because everybody's a star out here. He's not just one of one team. He's going to be able to blend in. I can see him having the great balance right, being able to, you know, live wherever he wants to live, whether he wants to live out in the country rather he wants to live, you know, on Fifth Avenue and take a helicopter in.
Speaker 3: You know, we know Brandon Marshall lived in Brooklyn. Right.
Speaker 2: We know that t Rich lived in Queen's Long Island City, so he'll be able to get whatever he he's into it. However, he feels whatever he wants his experience here, He'll be able to enjoy yourself on the field and off the field. I think he'll feel a love, respect and passion and understand that. You know, he's gonna have a little bit more things to do to heal than he had in Green Bay. I mean, I know Green Bay has a great Applebee's and cheese curds, but I think New York has a little bit more to offer than that.
Speaker 1: You always have brought the swagger to the table, whether it was inside the locker room or your post playing career. What do you think about the swag that he brings. We saw the Jets and the Young Corps last year really develop. It was fun, whether it was Sauce Gardener on the defensive side of the ball or Garrett Wilson on the offensive side of the ball. But what do you think about the aura that he provides, Not just the physical skill set, not just the mentality the cerebral assassin, but the kind of aura that's he's going to bring to that locker room.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I mean. I've experienced this. I experienced this in Baltimore when Steve McNair came over. Right, you know, you knew what he had been. He had been a fish competitor. And listen, let's not underestimate the practice week that the Jets had when they played Green Bay and he was able to watch how this organization moved the class act that it was, the young players and really get to see where they're going. He's no dummy, right, He could have had an opportunity to go anywhere. He could have said, I wanted to go to Tennessee. Tennessee is a place that could have offered the same thing he lives there. But he saw that the Jets are a team that are ascended, that has the flexibility to go out and get more assets, and also, you know, a team that's on the uprise. And you know, he figuring that you add that MVP type of you know, you know talent, they're going to be in every game, right and with this defense, and his defense has a lot to own up to it.
Speaker 3: But you know, I love Chuck Clark. I love the swag brought over there.
Speaker 2: You know all, like I said, all, I think they needed some big fatties, I know, pulling the forward still out there. I've been a proponent of bringing the big fatty over here, you know what I'm saying. I know they try with Kalais Campbell, but you got a big, you know, fatty right there, and I trust and I think that everybody trusts.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You know Joe Douglas, you know, you talk about his vision. You know, you talk about rebuilding the roster, young talented, you know player players brought in players that are young that you know, you don't have to worry about their contracts for a couple of years.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You got guys that you know, you get to, you know, you get to you get to go out and go get higher guns. Right, we watched Philadelphia, which we think you know, Roseman, who Joe Douglas learned from, is one of the best in the business. He's always one step ahead, right, he always has a good player. Then he always has a backup to plug in.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He got you know, got Davis, Jordan Davis right there, got you know, Deane and then he still has two first round draft picks. So even at fifteen I could see the Jets moving back right if they they if they find their players slip that bad, they move back get more assets.
Speaker 3: Hey man, I believe in Joe. We've seen him move up and nothing down the board.
Speaker 2: We've seen him move back in the first round, move up back in the second round to get Brits Hall.
Speaker 3: We've seen him move up to go get a Vera Tucker. Right.
Speaker 2: So I'm just so excited to see what moves are going to be paid out, and what that draft board looks like, and what that free agency board looks like, because I think now the biggest thing that Aaron Rodger gives you is the ability for guys who have done made a lot of money in his league to say, hey, it's more about winning right now than it is about the money. We've seen it when Rex was here, Guys like Jason Taylor coming up, guys like Trevor Price coming over. We've seen it, right, and I know that's what happens, you know, the confidence and the Jets and everybody you know, you know was making fun of same old Jets. But the Jets are right where they need to be, and right now it's people clamoring, wishing and hoping that the Jets give them that call that last year, you know it would have put their nose up to it.
Speaker 1: Thanks brother, It's always great catching up and for Jets fans, I think a lot of people are gonna be actually seeing you Thursday night at met Life Stadium, and that place is gonna be a Rockets environment because I'll tell you what, Mettlife Stadium is gonna be placed to be in twenty twenty three a lot of primetime games, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, that's that's a good, good and bad part. That means that I'm be you know, up at twelve o'clock, but I'll do it for a full opportunity to do some playoff football, you know what I'm saying. I'll go ahead and take the four o' clocks in eight o'clock, but that comes with the territory. And I tell you what, it'd be great that maybe if AA Ron is announced and he's on the big board, you know, maybe who knows, maybe they can work that out for the draft. Make sure the A A RN pulls up, you know what I mean, because it should be about time when he has to be introduced.
Speaker 3: Makes sense, Make it happen.
Speaker 4: Captain sounds good, Matt Becker about pleasure man.
Speaker 3: Talk to you later.
Speaker 5: Jets fans. We're in our final push and the clock is ticking. Is giving you a golden opportunity to win VIP prizes for the twenty twenty three season. The win Bet Green Room is the most exclusive space at the stadium with all inclusive food and beverage, lower level seats, and appearances by Jets legends and celebrities. New Jersey customers, all you need to do is wager at least one hundred dollars on win bets sports book or casino. For New York customers, all you need to do is wager at least one hundred dollars on win BET's sports book. The best part, you get an entry for every one hundred dollars you wager.
Speaker 1: It's a momentous day here at one Jets Drive and I'd be remiss if I didn't bring Lejay Dousable on the official pod. Leje your thoughts on this trade finally happening, the Jets and the Packers agreeing on a deal that will bring four time NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers to the Green and White.
Speaker 6: It's amazing, EA, right this is what the Jets, you know, have been talking about for a while in regards to training for Aaron Rodgers. We all thought that this potentially could happen all the way back in March in April. I mean, we're still in April. But now it's late April draft week, and then the news comes down. I think news had broke earlier this week that the two teams have gotten back together and started renegotiating, and it seems like a deal came together quite quickly.
Speaker 7: Now. To be honest with ya, it's a bit steep.
Speaker 6: I'm not even gonna lie to you because when you look at it, right, you know, people are saying it's two first round picks, but it's essentially a first round swap this year in twenty twenty three, just have to move back two spots from thirteen to fifteen. They give up the number forty two pick, also a sixth round pick, but they receive a fifth round pick. But the thing that steeped to me, ea, I would have been fine with all the rest of that, right, but the protection for if Aaron Rodgers decides not to play after this year, it's not really there for the Jets, right, So it's like next year, no matter what, because we all assume Aaron Rodgers is going to play sixty five percent of the snaps, the Jets are giving up on one next year to the Green Bay Packers. So I mean, I understand it from the standpoint because Joe Douglass understands this roster. He feels like he has a ready made team. The one thing that they were missing was a quarterback. So I get it from that standpoint because unless you have a signal caller under center, you don't have a chance in the NFL. And him making this aggressive trade to get Aaron Rodgers puts them in the position not only to win the division, but make a true run at a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: You just hit the right note right there that this puts the Jets in position not only to win the division, but win a Super Bowl. Can you believe where we're at right now in late April compared to where we were in October when the Jets went to Green Bay and took down Aaron Rodgers. If I would have told you on add Sunday that Rogers was going to be a Jet in twenty twenty three, what would you have said.
Speaker 7: Look at us, look at us. Who would have thought who would have thought? Right?
Speaker 6: And the funny thing isa around that time, the Jets were one of the hottest teams in the league right, one of the hottest teams in the AFC. A lot of people thought they could potentially fight for the AFC East Crown that year because they went into Green Bay and essentially beat down the Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 7: The game wasn't even close.
Speaker 6: I mean, you talk about physicality on both sides of the line of scrimmage, offensive line, defensive line. They won the battle in the trenches that day and literally took the heart out of the Green Bay Packers. So if you're looking at it from this standpoint, we have ever in our wildest dreams thought Aaron Rodgers the following year would be a New York Jet. Everybody would say no, especially like you talked about in October, because the team was playing so well. They thought that this young team could potentially make a run. We knew we had a top five defense at the time, and they finished the season as a top five defense.
Speaker 7: So I don't think anybody thought in October.
Speaker 6: That this would be an outcome going into the twenty three season. But towards the back half of the season, the Jets weren't able to finish, wasn't able to get into the playoffs, and then subsequently we knew there were struggles at the quarterback position. So if you have an opportunity to get a four time MVP Super Bowl winning quarterback.
Speaker 7: You go out and do that.
Speaker 6: And not only that, Ea, this is a guy that's familiar with his offense when he was playing MVP type football. It was this same offensive coordinator the Jets haveing Nathaniel Ackett, so it only made sense. Again, was a steep price, but it doesn't matter if the Jets win the division and make a run at the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: How about the potential with the second team? Dudes, we saw Tom Brady, after an illustrious run with the Patriots, go to Tampa win a Super Bowl in his first year there. How about Peyton Manning with the Indianapolis Colts. Of course, he finds a second home with the Broncos. He goes out on top. I'm not putting Matt Stafford in the category. Oh no, right yet, But my point is a very accomplished quarterback who goes from Detroit to the Rams wins the championship.
Speaker 4: So We've seen this done.
Speaker 1: There is a blueprint out there for teams who are sending and ready to take the next step, and all they need is an elite quarterback.
Speaker 4: Oh, here you go.
Speaker 1: You have the Jets and then sending young team who just needed that missing piece, enter Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 6: It's funny, right, because it's almost like a copycat league. What did the Denver Broncos do, right? They traded for Russell Wilson because they thought that was the missing piece for them to win the Super Bowl. They knew they had a top five defense, They felt like they had the playmakers on the outside. They felt like the only thing that they truly needed was a quarterback to push them over the top. You just stated some other quarterbacks. Tom Brady leaving New England going to Tampa Bay. Now, when he chose Tampa Bay, I think a lot of people were scratching their heads because of what Tampa Bay had did in previous years. Now we knew what Tom Bowles, they had a good defense, and we know they had playmakers on the outside. But when Tom Brady came there, as Dion Sender said, he brought us some luggage with him, right, he was able to get Antonio Brown to come.
Speaker 7: He was able to get Gronk to come over there, right.
Speaker 6: I think they drafted you know, wharfs at tackle, so they had some pieces around. But also when you have Tom Brady, you get guys like Leonard Fournette that want to sign on and play with Tom Brady. Essentially the same thing that's happened with the Jets. And you know Aaron Rodgers, O'Dell Beckham was flirting with coming to play for the New York Jets, but ultimately Baltimore offered him a deal that he couldn't refuse. He ended up going there. But we already see that guys are willing to come and play with Aaron Rodgers. No, Allen Azar that was a big thing for him on wanting to sign with the New York just a familiarity not only with Nathaniel Hackett, but his quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who's one of his closest friends.
Speaker 7: So when you have a guy like Aaron Rodgers, you talked.
Speaker 6: About it, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and I think the difference between Aaron Rodgers and those guys is Aaron is familiar with this system. He's been running this system, right, and the Hackett was with Laflour in Green Bay. He's coming to essentially the same offense. Will the terminology be slightly different? Maybe maybe it changes because Hackett comes in and Aaron Rodgers just picks up where he left off in that twenty one season.
Speaker 7: That's what the Jets are, right.
Speaker 6: You get a pissed off Aaron Rodgers who felt like he may have been done wrongly in Green Bay. He's motivated now to come to the New York Jets. And I guarantee you right now, Jet Nation is ecstatic about this trade.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they have reason to be celebrating right now because the weights. It's been a long wait for Jets fans, the anticipation, and now you're feeling that collective sense of relief and euphoria at the same time. Where is this guy physically at this point in his career. He battled a number of injuries last year. Dude, he's thirty nine, He's going to turn forty. As far as his physical skill set, something that stood out to me in the past, Tom Brady said, Aaron Rodgers is the best thrower of the football in the history of our game.
Speaker 4: Where do you think he's at right now.
Speaker 6: First and foremost, the most talented guy I've ever faced without nine ever I missed. I played against Mahomes in preseason. I didn't really get to see him during the season because he was a rookie. He didn't play his rookie year, but I played him in preseason. But as far as just pure talent, and I agree with Tom Brady one hundred percent, there's nobody that can throw the ball better than Aaron Rodgers. I mean, and you know, people are saying he's getting older. He was a little beat up last year. One throw that comes to mind was him drifting to the left versus Miami Dolphins and finding Marcedes Lewis down the sideline with a flick of the wrist. The ball went like fifty yards in the air with a flick.
Speaker 3: Ea.
Speaker 7: It shows that this guy still has all the arm strength in the world.
Speaker 6: Saw a picture and video of him and Allan was are working out together, kind of playing around, running some sprints. So again it seems like mentally he's in it this year. He's motivated, he's ready to play. And let's not forget the last time he was in this situation was the first year Lafour was there and people thought he was done. What did he do after that back to back MVP years? You want to take Jordan Love in the first round, let me show you why. I'm a future Hall of Famer, first ballot Hall of Famer, and I think that's the Aaron Rodgers the Jets are going to get this year.
Speaker 1: How about him as a decision maker, something that's overlooked. I think throughout his career best touchdown interception ratio of anybody who's ever played this game. So we think in rogers in terms of gunsling are oftentimes, but he's protected the football throughout his career.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I'm glad you brought that up, EA, because since two thousand and eight, the Jets quarterbacks have the worst touchdown in interception ratio and the guy that you just talked about is number one in that span since two thousand and eight. And a guy that takes care of the football. Even with twelve interceptions last year, that is like it might be his high.
Speaker 7: For his career, like he rarely I think the year before he was thirty.
Speaker 3: Seven and four.
Speaker 6: EA, that is just absurd to have only four interceptions in a calendar season, right four months seventeen games only four interceptions. That's crazy. So even in a down year last year, we threw for nearly thirty seven hundred yards, twenty six touchdowns and only twelve interceptions over two to one ratio. The Jets had that ea, they were probably been a Division A round with a chance to go to the AFC Championship game last year. So if you just put that into perspective, that was quote unquote a down year for Aaron Rodgers. So that's been an important thing for the Jets being able to take care of the football because we know how good the defense is.
Speaker 7: As long as you don't turn it over, your defense is going to give you a chance to win games.
Speaker 6: Now, with Aaron Rodgers, you know, being familiar with this offense, you would think the Jets defens will get a little bit more rest because the offense would be more efficient this year. So now, and we kind of saw this towards the back half of the season, I felt like the defense was wearing down a little bit. If you look at the Detroit game, the Jaguars game, that last game versus the Miami Dolphins, that defense was tired. Now with Aaron Rodgers in the fold, you would think that they would get more rest and be more fresh at the end of the game, which in turn will help them towards the end of the season when you really need to have your pass rust going and your defense really needs to be playing at an elite level. They'll be a little bit more fresher this year.
Speaker 1: As the guys suited up in the room multiple times, whether it's for practice or games, over the course of your career, and you played for more than a decade, dudes, what's it gonna be like for these guys when Rogers walks into the locker room with d swagger, the guy discount double check with the belt, the guy who has done so much throughout his NFL career, wanted to be here, wanted to be a Jet, wanted to help this team go to the next level. What is the feeling gonna be like in the room when he enters.
Speaker 6: I think guys are just gonna be excited. I mean you kind of see it on Twitter already. Brest Hall has changed his profile pick to Aaron Rodgers when he was at Kyle Berkeley, Right, that's the excitement these guys have. Garrett Wilson couldn't be more excited. You see Makay Beckton tweeting out different things. Jermaine Johnson put the spoof up there of the office saying it's gonna happen, It's gonna happen, It's finally happening.
Speaker 7: So excited.
Speaker 6: And again that doesn't just radiate on the offensive side, that radiates on the defensive side as well. Ea, because again, now you have a quarterback you can go out there and believe in and you know, right, even when you're maybe not having your best day, because he's a four time MVP year, because he's a former Super Bowl champ, he can pick you guys up on days you don't have it your best on defense, and that's important, right because I know a lot of people talked about this last year and they kind of got on the defense late in the season. But I'm like, hey, this defense is still giving up like less than nineteen points a game. That's winning football. Like, if you give up less than twenty points a game, you still should have an opportunity to win. If the Jets scored at least twenty one in five other games, they would have been twelve.
Speaker 7: They would have had twelve wins.
Speaker 6: Twelve wins a ya, that would have put them in contention to potentially win the division. So I look at it like I said, it's not just gonna radiate between the offense. Some of that's gonna come over to the defense and they're gonna be more enthused now because they know, right they don't have to be on pins and needles.
Speaker 7: We have a guy back there at quarterback.
Speaker 6: If we're not having our best day, and the plan is always to have our best day, but if we're not, he can pick us up and lift us up.
Speaker 1: How about Roger's second act coming on Broadway, him just coming to New York. How big that is as far as a sporting transaction. There's few things you probably can compare this to as far as this big of a name, This guy at this point of his career. Obviously he's on the second nine, he's towards the end of his career, but he still can play at an elite level and coming to New York.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's big.
Speaker 6: And I know a lot of people maybe concerned just because of you know, what he dealt with in the media sometimes in Green Bay. But I think Aaron Rodger is cerebral, right, he understands what it is. And I don't think this New York market or media market will be too much for him because he just wants to go out there in ball, right, he could care less what people say about him, and it's been proven, it's documented. Right, we saw what he did on Pat McAfee in regards to the front office with Green Bay, Like, he.
Speaker 7: Doesn't let that affect him.
Speaker 6: Now in some form of manner, does it affect you when people say things about you?
Speaker 3: Essentially?
Speaker 6: Yes, right, But I think he's played enough football and played at an elite level for so long that he'll be able to bounce back. I don't think that the media, the New York media market will be too much for Aaron Rodgers. And you're talking about coming to you know, Broadway, I mean Broadway. Joe Joe Namath already came out and said he's willing to let him use number twelve. I mean, that's something big. This is the greatest quarterback in Jets history. For him to essentially unretire his number to let another future Hall of Famer use his number kind of lets you know the importance of this trade for the New York Jets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll have to see where that goes in the hours aheat. I know Schefter initially reported the deal and the compensation, and he had Rogers out there in a number eight. Of course, he wore number eight at cal Berkeley, so maybe that's the future for him here with the Green and White. You mentioned something and I want to end Tier with you, dudes, you think the Jets are gonna get a pissed off Aaron Rodgers as far as the way it ended in Green Bay. And also, he's so highly competitive. What do you think this is going to mean to him as far as this final chapter and the potential as far as his legacy is concerned, Because you're talking about a Jets team that won a championship in nineteen sixty eight January twelfth, nineteen sixty nine, hasn't been in the playoffs since twenty ten, has a lot of pieces there. But the potential if you're if you're Rogers right now, not only maybe being pissed off as far as the doubters are concerned, but also the potential of what this marriage ultimately can be.
Speaker 6: I don't think he's just pissed off. I think he's highly motivated. And we kind of talked about this earlier. The last time he was dismotivated was the year after Mike You know, Matt Lafleur got the job at Green Bay. He didn't have quote unquote his best year. A lot of people thought he was done, he didn't have it anymore.
Speaker 7: What they do.
Speaker 6: They traded up. They didn't just take Jordan Love in the first round. Yea, They traded up to get him, essentially saying this is gonna be your replacement. And then we saw Aaron Rodgers play at a astronomical level the next two years and became back to back MVPs. I think that's something that we're gonna get from Aaron Rodgers right now. You talk about the legacy being able not to only do that in Green Bay, which is one of the meccas of NFL football, right but to be able to do it in New York No City. It's better to win in EA, I'm telling you, when you're winning in New York City. I think that's all in Aaron Rodgers mind. And he also wants to stick it to the front office at Green Bay. Like you thought I was done before I proved you wrong. Was time for me for these next two years to prove you wrong again. Not only am I going to play at an elite level, I'm gonna go out there and try to win MVP, but then bring my team along with me and try to make a run at this Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: How does this impact Douglas as far as the draft is concerned.
Speaker 4: Now he's got the fifteenth pick. We saw the swap of the first rounders.
Speaker 1: Obviously you talked about the compensation before, but we figured that this trade was gonna happen at some point, whether it's Monday, Thursday, or Friday. But now that you know the compensation, you also know what the Jets did recently with the signings of Connor McGovern. You're felling a knee before the draft. The Quentin Jefferson. We talked about that the last podcast. But overall, look, as far as the draft is concerned, now that you know Rogers has done, that chapter is about to begin. But as far as worrying about the deal, you don't have to worry about that right now, Where should the focus be for the jetson in twenty twenty three draft.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we talked about this earlier about a few weeks ago on the podcast, right, and I think I said that Joe Douglass had a plan if Aaron Rodgers got traded before the draft, and then one just in case he hadn't been traded. Right now they can throw away that plan in regards to Aaron Rodgers not being traded before the draft, because that has happened. I'm glad you brought up Cotton McGovern because I think that is an underlying signing that is big for the Jets. One because we know Aaron Rodgers and how he feels about rookies at times. Right now you got a guy that has played a solid football for the Jets in this same system that Aaron Rodgers is coming from, that he's been familiar with with Nathaniel Hackett. So now you got a veteran signal caller at center, right, you bring him back. He's played a lot of good football. That doesn't mean the Jets won't potentially take an interior Alfittson lineman in the draft, but now you don't have to make it mandatory that you take it with one of those first two picks. The one concern that we kind of talked about this off Camerya is will one of the top four officive tackles be there at fifteen Now that you've moved back two spots, And that's what I meant when I talked about it being a little steep, right, because two spots in the draft can be monumental, right in regards to that, because Peter Skowarnsky, Paris Johnson, you talk about Darnell right, and then Proderick Jones, they could potentially be off the board. So if that happens, do the Jets potentially move back? Do they take Jackson Smith and Jig Bat the number fifteen spot if he's even there? Right, So, there's so many things to really work through. I think defensive tackle becomes a bigger need at forty three potentially. Keanu Benton is a guy that we've talked about that I really like. Out of bar Ray from Northwestern is another guy I really like. The thing with Robert Salah when it comes to defensive line. He likes guys that have foot speed and strained and both of those guys give you that interior pass Russ guys that are strained in the run game inside. So I think if you look at the draft board there, that is something that Joe Douglas is gonna be watching carefully because if those offensive tackles start fining off the board, I think the Jets potentially could start taking some calls to potentially move back, can get some more draft capital to make some more moves in the second and third round because moving to spots back.
Speaker 7: I think thirteenth that a lot of guys felt comfortable did they.
Speaker 6: Get one of the top four tackles, But at fifteen I don't feel ass comfortable on them getting the one of the top four tackles.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, the draft is about seventy two hours away. After hitting a grand slam in the twenty twenty two NFL Draft, almost a year later, on April twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, Joe Douglas strikes going the trade route, bringing Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: To New York.
Speaker 1: Dudes, it's been a momentous day, potential game changer here for the New York Jets. Thanks for joining us as always, of course,