Speaker 1: Hey, am welcome to the short Stuff. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Chuck. I have a question for you. Yes, don't you want to Fanta? Was that a slogan?
Speaker 2: Mm hm oh don't you wanna?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that now. It was very catchy, don't you fana? Don't you wanna?
Speaker 1: Was that it? Don't you want to Fanta? I remember?
Speaker 2: Okay, I love Fanta?
Speaker 1: I mean wait, wait, wait, you never answered my question.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, of course I do if I love it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I think I've mentioned plenty of times that I did not grow up drinking much soda because as a family, we didn't have the kind of money to just load up the house with SODA's, so SODA's were only reserved for my mom to drink tab.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, she's a tab drinker.
Speaker 2: Huh yeah, we had money for that. But I didn't drink much soda growing up. So I don't drink a soda now, thankfully, because that stuff is so bad for you, generally speaking. But I will hammer down six cokes a year, and maybe four or five fan of.
Speaker 1: Oranges all at once once a year.
Speaker 2: I love them. I love that fan of orange. I just you know, you can't drink that stuff a lot.
Speaker 1: Have you had any of the other fantas, the grape, etc.
Speaker 2: I think I like dabbled in the grape and kneehigh grape and stuff when I was a kid, But it's really that. And I like sunkissed, preferred sunkist as a kid here and there. Yeah, yeah, but Fanta orange is one of my rare, rare guilty pleasures.
Speaker 1: I got you. I was more of a fago man as a kid.
Speaker 2: Do I never drink those? And I also never have drink any of the clear or yellows like I've never tasted mountain dew. Didn't drink mellow yellow or sprite or seven up or anything like that.
Speaker 1: You missed out you've never tasted mountain dew or mellow yellow. I just want to make sure I have that correct.
Speaker 2: I don't think so wow, I can't remember ever doing it. I mean, I don't even know what it tastes like. It looks lemon limey.
Speaker 1: But no, no, it's not. It's its own thing, for sure. I don't know that you should ever break the streak now that you've reached this along without trying it. But yeah, it's not lemon lime. It's its own thing.
Speaker 2: But what we're talking about is whether or not Fanta is a Nazi drink, and we're going to go into the history of that, and we're going to start out talking a little bit about Coca Cola, the parent company, as every most people know by now, it was invented by doctor John Stith Pemberton in eighteen eighty six. He was a morphine addicted Civil War veteran looking for a better way to feel better than morphine and put together some cocoa leaves and cola nuts, which had you know, were stimulants because of cocaine and caffeine, and said, hey, this is like a new kind of medicine. And after he died it went on to be a very very popular drink.
Speaker 1: It sure did. One of the things that Coca Cola did over time was they expanded around the world. They became an ambassador of American democracy. One of the places they expanded to is Germany, pre war Germany or maybe inter war Germany. I'm not sure when they showed up, but regardless, by the time World War II was starting to ramp up, say the thirties the late thirties, Coca Cola was heavily entrenched in Germany, and its subsidiary was Coca Cola GmbH, which stands for gelschafft mitt besch kroner Hoftung, which translates to company with limited liability. And there was a guy named Max Kite who ran the show there, and boy, oh boy, was he dedicated to Coca Cola and furthering the cause of Coca Cola in Germany.
Speaker 2: Yes, for sure. There's a guy named Mark Pendergrast who wrote a book called for God Country and Coca Cola No Colon. Yeah you go, Mark, Yeah, that's incredible. And he said that you know, this guy loved coke so much he really just wanted to weave it into every aspect of German life, including the Nazi Party, even though supposedly he never was officially joined the Nazi Party. And you think, like, well, Coke probably wasn't super stoked about this.
Speaker 1: They didn't care.
Speaker 2: Robert Woodruff was running Coke at the time, and he was like, Hey, this is all good. We're going to co sponsor the nineteen thirty six Perlin Olympics. We're going to hang up some banners there with our logo right next to the swastika, and it's all good everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Can you imagine I looked high and low for a photograph of that, and I could not find it. I'm sure Coca Cola has dedicated a significant amount of his operational fund to destroying any evidence of that banner. Ever.
Speaker 2: I haven't been to the World of Coke Museum, but I bet right here in Atlanta, I bet it's not in there.
Speaker 1: I'll bet they don't have it up too. There was also the tenth anniversary of Coca Cola GmbH. They decided to commemorate their deepest admiration for the fure for Hitler's fiftieth birthday with a mass Nazi salute. I guess of employees who worked there at the time, Yeah, exactly. So, Coca Cola was very much entrenched in Nazi Germany even before the war, especially before the war.
Speaker 2: I should say, well, yeah, because once the war started, they're like, oh, well, I guess we can't do business with Germany anymore. And Germany was seizing enemy owned businesses at will. I think General Motors actually got out of Germany, but they did seize IBM, and Coca Cola said, sorry, kite, we got to stop sending you our seven X flavoring and he said, but that is the secret, and they went, I know, and I'm really sorry. But even though we're friends, our countries aren't friends right now. And that was a huge hit on Coca Cola LLC GNB H Germany.
Speaker 1: He could make coke.
Speaker 2: So he was like, I got to come up with a new plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also at the same time, he's walking this fine line between not having access to the product that his company makes and trying to keep the German government from officially seizing and taking over his company. And to do that he needs he needs a hit. He needs the most delicious, most nutritious thing you could possibly put together that's going to sweep Germany right off the bat. And I feel like we should talk about this product that Max Kite introduced after a break. Oh okay, Chuck. So Max kite'es like, what am I going to do? I need to come up with something fast to keep my company afloat. I think I'll just create an entirely new drink that no one's ever even thought of making before. Yeah, And because there's so many wartime rations going on, I'm gonna have to get really creative here, but I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, not only did he was he not getting that sweet sweet seven X coke syrup. He didn't have sugar, or at least much. They were rationing sugar at the time, so he said all right. He ended up saying the recipe was made from the leftovers of the leftovers. The first fanta, which, by the way, is the German word for fantasy or imagination. And supposedly he said, hey, marketing team, use your fantasy to think of a good name, and they said, how about fanta? And he went, that's great.
Speaker 1: How about love?
Speaker 2: I think he was gotta nip who officially thought of the name. But he got apple pulp from leftover apple cider making, beet sugar and whey, and by all accounts, it was not orange at all, and it tasted like sweet garbage.
Speaker 1: It's yeah. It took me a couple of reads to be like, well, wait a minute, how does that taste like fanta? And then I realized it just sudden horror. It didn't taste anything like fanta, And apparently it didn't taste very well at all. Historians no one knows what it tasted like. Or at least no one's been able to find somebody who actually drank this stuff. But they're like, just look at the ingredients. There's no way it tasted good. And they think that it was probably mostly sold to be used as like a flavor agent for soups and stews and stuff like that. That people weren't just knocking back bottles of this stuff, because they would have vomited until they died. I guess instead they were just using it in other ways. But that's not to say it wasn't a huge hit. It was a big seller. And not only that, it instilled like a kind of national pride among Germans, like, look at how resourceful we are in the face of you know, wartime scarcity. But have you tried this stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was their own. They're like, we have fanta and beer, and like we're going to claim those and love those and drink those until we fall over.
Speaker 1: So he did.
Speaker 2: Even though, like I said, he officially supposedly never joined the Nazi Party, he did work very closely with the Nazi Party because he needed their help. He needed their help making sure that production continued, and you know, the cooperation with the Nazis was a key part of that, but that was able to keep the doors open, at least officially. Coca Cola in April of nineteen fifty five, post war, said why don't we rejigger Fanta and make it taste good? And we've got the we have it copyrighted, and it's already sort of got a little bit of a cred at least in Europe. So let's just keep the name and hopefully no one will remember the Nazi ties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also so this name, just the name, right, they could have come up with anything else, but just the name has Nazi ties. Like you said, it was created in and for Nazi Germany, and it was also made from apple pulp and beet sugar, and way, why would you use that. I would think you would want to do the exact opposite and bury that name, like it was a banner with the coke logo in the swastika. But instead they just went with it, and they introduced it in Italy first. Is this the version we know now, this orange soda version? And Italy was like, yeah, it's pretty good, let's go with that, and they started to export it finally made it into the United States in nineteen fifty eight, which was I think three years after they reintroduced it in Italy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think with the deal was is it wasn't widely known outside of Germany, so it's not like the word Fanta had some negative connotation all over the world, and the Germans loved it, so it actually had a positive connotation and at least one market. So yeah, I get it. I mean, maybe it would have been a good pr move to change it because it's the Nazi thing, but I don't think it was like some otherwise tainted name.
Speaker 1: I see, I see what you mean. And they were like, I'm sure people just forget about it. Anyway, within a year or two, anybody who even knows about it, it'll never come out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, until you know, people started calling it a Nazi drink and you know, on the Internet, and the idea kind of spread and it was, you know, it was Fanta and not Fanta. But yeah, people largely didn't think much about it, and I still don't think much about it. I mean, it's not like if you buy a Fanta or something today, you're supporting Nazis.
Speaker 1: Right to the upkeep of Hitler's tomb or something like that. A small donation, but the author Pendergrast, was like, it's this is pretty It is still pretty significant that people like this drink enough that even knowing it's its roots or where it came from, it was like, it's just it's an orange soda. I like it for what it is. And it's not just orange. As we said, they have a whole line of flavors, including grape, and I think it's much more popular in South America right now, but yeah, still pretty pretty big in America in the United States. Man, we keep getting taken to task for that, for calling the US America. Yeah, sorry, everybody, that's what That's what they tell us. That's what they teach us here.
Speaker 2: Uh. As far as Kite goes, he stuck around and the Coca Cola company said, you know what, even though your drinkles was garbage, you did the yeoman's work way back then and kept that brand alive. And so he was made eventually the head of Coca Cola Europe and uh, you know, it seems like had a pretty good career as a soda guy.
Speaker 1: Oh. One other thing about that too, is as the Nazis rolled in the country after country, Kite was right behind the tanks going. Your division of Coca Cola is now part of Coca Cola Deutsch Lant. Your division of Coca Cola is now part of Coca Cola Deutsch Lant. And so when he was made the head of Coca Cola Europe, he had consolidated through conquering other businesses. He had consolidated all into one company because of the Nazis conquering these countries. Isn't that nuts? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, who better to lead the Coca Cola Europe you know, I guess he was already taking place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He kept pounding his fist in his hand whenever he talked at like board meetings and investors' meetings. That's right, Okay, Well that's it for fanta? Do you want a Fanta? I don't know. That's only a question you can answer yourself. And while you think about that, we're done with this. So short stuff is out.
Speaker 2: Stuff he should know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.