Speaker 1: Look may oh, I see you. Look over there is that culture. Yes, wow, Los.
Speaker 2: Ding Dong Lost Culturas calling.
Speaker 1: I have a gift for Bowen this. I've been waiting to hear. What sound you're gonna yes, yes, oh my god, very Percy. Miss.
Speaker 2: I had no idea what this reveal was gonna be. But you, but Dennis, I think I heard like the crinkling. Oh fuck, this is the Emine crinkled as I came in. Oh my god, my favorite.
Speaker 1: Well actually so they're actually from Zane Philip's sister Emily, who she brought two bags of Percy pigs shout out because explain Percy Pegs. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, honey, Percy Pegs. That was kind of a fake out because I was like, I don't think so, honey. That they are exclusively available at M and S, which is this like food chain in the UK. And but god, they're my favorite candy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good. In the addition, these are limited.
Speaker 2: They're all vegan person vegan candy in Europe? Is that girl? The candy technology there is cutting edge. They pump our ship with like chemicals. They're trying to kill us. They're trying to kill did you hear that the government is actually trying to kill us all?
Speaker 1: How do you mean? Well? I can't get into it because they're coming. You know, our guest came in with the Secret Service.
Speaker 2: Those are the lovely folks at security at NBC. I know there was Are you at the level? Are you at the level where I don't get I don't get a little FAILANX, but I get so.
Speaker 1: You're vulnerable out there.
Speaker 2: But I say hi to the guys on like every day that I'm do they give this because that I can't describe the energy more than he No, they really they know they're talking to a foppish fellow and they hey, Bowen, how are Yeah, they soften up a little bit.
Speaker 1: They're not you. You're one of the poppish girls of NBC. So an't you guys all in a group text like Lauren's always Laurence guys, that's what we call it.
Speaker 2: Lornette lor Lornettes are me and the security people on eight.
Speaker 1: Do people know about the Lornettes, like the actual Lornettes? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, like they've been documented. Okay, there needs to be a Do you think it's fine if I talk about the Lornettes.
Speaker 3: I would be glancing in your description of the Lornette.
Speaker 2: The Lornettes are the people who make the popcorn event great.
Speaker 1: Love that. Yeah, keep it there, Let's keep it there. Wow.
Speaker 3: So you have to be a little bit more specific now that I've made it sound like no.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, they're all lovely people. And actually one of the Lornettes, Karina helped out on the Culture Awards. Yes she did. I love that Lornette. She's well, she's more than a lornette. She's a wonderful more than a lornette, more than any That should be the title of all their books.
Speaker 1: She's a Mornette's. So the reason why this is so exciting is because I was in London and I want to shout out London and a couple of things I did. Then I saw Nicole Scherzinger and son St Boulevard. This has to be seen. And I'm not just saying this because I one of the gayest people in the world. This is one of the stunning performances of our time. You can't believe how crazy it is.
Speaker 2: I mean unreal. Nicole Sures and your can do sense that Boulevard. Glenn Close could not sing buttons could not sing buttons or react. No, And that's a rule of culture.
Speaker 1: Cannot do button and react. Now, I think that the fact that we're sort of like in this deep of gay culture talking about buttons and react Sunset Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard. Like, I'm wondering if our guest knows about buttons and react. I think he does. I wonder if we were to say, this is a group of words buttons, react, beep, I would wonder if he could describe do you know what those are? I am so in the weeds and you're not introduced yet, but he's in the weeds so far. What we're talking about a Pussycat Dolls song titles excellent.
Speaker 3: I mean I think I could have based I did know that about a nicure Yeah, yeah, maybe I could.
Speaker 1: Have got Has she been on the show? She is? Oh boy.
Speaker 2: I feel like she's a fox girly with the masked singer, and I feel like they're telling her if you go on seth, yeah, you're done, you're done.
Speaker 1: You're done, Nicole, You're done, Nicole. And already it's tough. Hey, no, I'm saying the UK embraced her in the UK Nicole Scherzinger is Celine Dion's You come to the US. You can't even get on the show.
Speaker 2: It's not She's a very successful entertainer. Nicole Scherzinger for the pod for Ohnicle.
Speaker 1: We would love to have started here because I think it's going to transfer to Broadway and every gay person and theater lover, yes, should go see this. I mean that then diagram is a circle. Speaking of theater, you saw Spamalot last night.
Speaker 2: I saw spam a Lot last Night's so funny, uh huh, excellent performance is all around.
Speaker 1: Wow a person Broadway.
Speaker 2: I think stupid is back.
Speaker 1: I think stupid shit is back.
Speaker 2: And I just watching spam a Lot and me going, I know it was my first time seeing the actual show, but I was like, I know, Monty Python on the Holy Real like the back of my damn hands.
Speaker 1: That would you say it's one of the cultures that made you say culture.
Speaker 2: It is definitely one of the cultures that because I actually just read in it from the library on my own accord when I was like nine.
Speaker 1: You looked at the cover and said that looks like fun comedy and something I'll enjoy.
Speaker 2: And just the opening title cards of like that person has been sacked and the person who sacked that person that's been sacked. I was like, what am I watching? And then the end of that movie, I'm gonna spoil it. Everyone gets there's this huge sceniariors and then and then the cops come and arrest everybody. It's one of the best comedy endings ever of a film. I would say, huge, and I want to throw it over to I guess because I think he is a he's an expert in comedy. I would say that, wouldn't you say so? Not only would I say that.
Speaker 1: Not only would I say expert in comedy, I would say expert in kindness and kindness, I would say expert in professionalist family, I would say family. I would say this man has one of the best reputations in the business. Yeah, and guess what a lot of people talking and talking the truth and the truth they always say about this guy. Lovely, gracious. Everyone at the place he works late night with Seth Myers says, I've been here for a long time and I will stay here for a long time. Thank God. He puts one of our good friend's house, Henry Melcher, a roof over his house, Henry Melcher, Henry Melcher and Archie and hugo oh, the babies. The baby.
Speaker 2: That makes it sound like I only pay enough to put a roof on.
Speaker 1: Well, and just for roofing. We reroofed Henry's house. That's so nice. The plumbing there is terrible, but there's a roof. You know him as the star of New Year's Eve and the co host of the Strike Force five podcasts and Stanley Trips with the Myers brother Family Trips with the Meyers Brothers. He's also the host of Late Night with Seth Myers. You know him from Saturday Night Live many many many years doing the thing over there. And you know something about that this is a good day, This is a good day. Did I say, goriod? I think so that was very Lindsay lohand of me started to say good. So I say, great, But let's just bring him in show. Everyone welcome, Seth.
Speaker 3: Be so happy to be here. So first of all, let me just say you said a very you were on the show second time. Yeah, fantastic, so funny, you were great effort.
Speaker 1: Would you not agree?
Speaker 3: I think there was a level of comfort between both of us. We know each other a little bit better. I think the second time was a home run, and I really was. I had left really happy about the first time, and then the second time I was like, see that that was how you want to do it. Yes, it felt a little bit less hun to maybe the pre interview, except everything was.
Speaker 1: A bit more. I think that was my first ever talk show by myself. That's true. Oh so that's the first time you want to The first time I went on your show was the first time I was ever like and please welcome and you come out and do the thing where and no one ever talks about the sort of headiness about walking out when the doors come and then you crazy your walk out. It's sort of like what what what's my walkout? Like? What's my thing?
Speaker 3: It's funny because I, well, every now and then I'll just pop downstairs. You would think this is the easiest possible talk show appearance. I popped downstairs to do Fallon. Yeah, and I'm backstage, and I have such an appreciation this is Being a guest on a talk show is so much harder than hosting.
Speaker 1: And how do you describe it?
Speaker 3: You host it, you get to do it every day and you just slowly over the course of time, like waves lapping against the shore, you become comfortable with it and the show becomes yours. But even backstage of Fallon, which I've probably done fifteen times, Yeah, the stage might be like and I remember, you walk out and turn right, and I go turn right. I know, like, it's not like I'm going to walk out and walk straight to the roots. I will find the desk. But you're backstage in the dark, and you really do start to spin out about the idea that you are now going to perform, the idea of being a guest.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is a thing, because there's there's also been at least two hellos beforehand. There's been a conversation before him, and you have to the artifice of a greeting is tough. Artifice of a greeting. That's a great memoir.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. I like to say during an interview sometime we were talking backstage. Yes, because I don't I won't artifice a greeting, although it's interesting, neither will David Letterman, and he would not come and say hello before the show and when he's the two times he's been a guest on my show, he has asked that I don't say hello before the show very politely, because he likes the hello to be the real Hello, to be on camera a god, and they always are.
Speaker 2: They always are. Hold on this is not my I don't think so money, but Worldwide Pants took down every single Letterman clip from YouTube.
Speaker 3: I thought they just launched a new YouTube channel. Yeah, they had their own they have They have a whole like encyclopedic cattle.
Speaker 2: Because I'm like, how am I going to get Miami's sadaris fixed from those episodes?
Speaker 1: Oh, do you have a favorite guest?
Speaker 3: You know it's I will say, I think we've become a nice post Letterman home FRAMI I think I was just gonna say, you know, they're I think they kind of all get sort of doled out. Yeah, a draft of sorts where each of us sort of ends up. And I think Amy, even though Amy and and Colbert have long history in their Dear Friends, I think she likes who she gets to be on our show.
Speaker 2: Colbert can't be like the There's something about her and Letterman where it was like it's just this guy letting her go. And then with Colbert, there's so much history there that it's like, right, but it's just like two friends talking, which is not why you watch Amy Sidaris go off.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's weird.
Speaker 3: I had to find a way to interview friends because I early on in the show underestimated how prep does help with these things. And I would say, oh, Bill's coming on, wigs coming on, how could it be bad? And then halfway through it, I'd realize, oh, this is a little bad. You think so I think, but we've found I've gotten better at it. Like you can't just completely rest on the idea that we will because we're old friends, we're gonna have an interesting conversation. Because sometimes I think about friends is you're enjoying the conversation even when it's not interesting. And when a lot of people that don't share that history in the audience watching, they need a few more sort of like touch points they can lock into the story.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: What about family though, Like let's say, like Thanksgiving, you you bring yeah, my Josh and the parents.
Speaker 3: It's the most stressed out I am on. Oh, and by the way, I think it always works out great. My parents are wonderful on the show. My brother's wonderful in the show. But everybody has been saying this week, oh we forget this is the only week of the year where Seth is on edge?
Speaker 1: Wow? Now is that also to do with the fact that, like, you don't want to put anyone in your family like in a position where they feel like fucking on edge on it.
Speaker 3: I want to take care of my parents, got it. I want to take care of my brother. I also don't ever want us to be on TV, like aren't we just the best?
Speaker 1: You know? You want to like bring it every time?
Speaker 3: Like I want my family is fun on Aatakshaw because my family is funny, and so I want to put them in a position to be funny as opposed to just look at us grand they were this close.
Speaker 2: That's like on the surface, it seems and I'm not saying this is what it is, but it just it would read as presumptuous to be like, I'm going to bring my my parents and my brother on my show.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and look how charming we are. I think my mother, if she ever came on this podcast. My mother has sort of a catchphrase that she thinks works all the time, but only works sometimes. So I told the story one time about how she was at the beach. She called me because she had been at the beach. My parents were at the beach and a seagull came and stole her sandwich out of her hand, and she said, damn bird. And so people love that she said damn bird because she also typed it out on text like d A M M. So now whenever anyone like is posting or whatever I see her way in online, she'll just say, Lol, this is so funny, damn bird, She'll just throw it in there.
Speaker 3: I know how old was she when this happened? Like what age did she add a catchphrase to it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Very late breaking? Oh yeah, I know. But like dan bird has really like been a huge thing. I said, she should make shirts. I think more people would buy her merch than like March that says like lost cultusta. Certainly she's got a huge She's sitting on a gold mine.
Speaker 3: Dann Bird two ms is a very funny share.
Speaker 1: So funny and like with a little bird in the corner, hold in a bagel, I mean, come on, we My son and Axel, when he was three, was running down a beach holding a bagel in his above his head and in the best mood and a bird came down like it was a circus act where a boy ran across the you know, the big top, and a bird flew down and grabbed the bagel.
Speaker 3: And it was other than the fact that he was crying, It's the most everyone had jumped to my feet and applod. Yeah, did you tell him that in years he's going to be last?
Speaker 1: This is a good story, is one? That bagel? That damn bird?
Speaker 3: He might actually I might offer him damn bird with an m N so that's available and he could take damn bird.
Speaker 1: Axel is the coolest fucking name for a kid.
Speaker 3: And I wasn't bored from the beginning. Really, I love it, and he's an axle, and I give my wife all the credit in the world.
Speaker 1: But I didn't.
Speaker 3: It felt a little. It felt like a bigger swing than it ended up being. Okay, can I tell you because we then, so we have a names ash, which is my wife's maiden names are first A s h E, then Axel, and then our daughter is Adelaide, which is my grandmother's name. Now, if the third had been a boy, my wife had an a name picked out that I was very I was going to fight hard edge. Yes, give me your instant reactions.
Speaker 1: We will Atlas okay, okay, yeah, well we're both we're both resident on that real good.
Speaker 2: What was the what's what's the sentiment of that name?
Speaker 1: I think uniqueness.
Speaker 3: I think that we live in an era where a lot of the unique A names have now become a very commonplace. It was hard to find, you know, it's at some point even like Archer. I feel like my kids had been already been in a class where there's like Archer B and Archer J. You know, because they've got a couple.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm sorry, you know what I'm coming around to. And I think it's like but I think it's a grower now. I thought of miss Rand as soon as I heard it.
Speaker 1: For sure, I think that that's going to happen. But Atlas myers like, I'm sorry, that's a very powerful high schooler that is not as I I hate saying, yes, but that person crushes it. Yes.
Speaker 3: The risk of what you end up with like an ironic Atlas, you know, you end up with a high schooler who is not Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The funny thing is I was like, well, you want an a name, and so if it's a boy's Atlice and if it's a girl's going to be Anne and then you would have.
Speaker 1: A y N and that would tell you I would tell you everything about her. Interesting.
Speaker 2: But I think that the unique anime that kicked this all off for the culture, you know, miss Apple Martin, Oh, Apple Martin.
Speaker 1: I think I've never been Apple Martin.
Speaker 2: She certainly has. She seems to be loving life.
Speaker 1: How old is Apple Martin?
Speaker 2: I think she's like a like as an adult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think she's going to become a model. That's the rumor I heard on the street. Word on the street was that Apple Martin was going to become a model, which is like, yeah, sure, sure, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Sure it would have been one of those things if you could have bet on it early, Yeah, that would have been terrible, like bet one hundred to in like seven.
Speaker 1: Fifty on Vegas. Are you a gambler? I will gamble a little. Yeah, that is a that's a hard yess.
Speaker 3: I mean, so when I go to Vegas, I will get a little intimidated by craps, But that is by far the most fun one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If I can go with a couple of people who know it, that is the most fun to do blackjack, I'd just become a little like to be good at blackjack, you have to be patient. And when I go to in the last thirty decade, when I'm in Vegas, it's usually because I did a show and I don't have a lot of time, and so if I only have an hour, it just feels like I get a little antsy. Yeah, I got play right into the casino's hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is true. I was just in Vegas, and like I've been to Vegas where the table was hot. You really can feel that, Like when the table's hot and things are going good, you feel like, oh, there's no way I could ever sit down and play this game and not be good. Yeah, And then the last time I was there the table was ice cold. I was bad. Every single hand was bad, and you're like, I will never do this again. But there's something addiction about that, and there's something very real and tangible about the feeling of I'm hot or I'm like dead.
Speaker 2: Yes, but because you're sure that it can turn at any given moment, and it sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 1: This is what I'm saying. Though, It's like I'll sit down and I'll play like play a bad hand. Is that what they'd say? Yeah, and sure, and I'll be like, oh, it's bad for the rest of the night, and then it is, and then sometimes it's good and the steak is on me. Actually you'll see me in Alexander McQueen.
Speaker 3: Now, this is the very depressing gambling summer I had because when the strike happened, I tried to book stand up shows. It's very hard to book maybe the ideal places because a lot of people are on the road, a lot of those stags. But I had a three day stint where I did a casino in Hollywood, Florida, then Tampa, Florida, then Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: And all those places.
Speaker 3: Even if people didn't maybe know me from my show or out, posters are up of you at the casinos because you're doing a show, and so you don't really want to go gamble as someone who you know they could recognize. Sure, So what I would I would have to wake up so early to get to the airport for the next one that I would sort of sometimes go and like gamble at like four forty five in the morning. Really because it was and that is you see the way he I mean there's no one there, like, no, there's no happy gamblers at four in Tampa, Florida.
Speaker 1: Not in Tampa, Florida. I know. Yeah, we say that with all love, with all do you get people in like Tampa Florida will come up to you and say, hey, I see your show. You get ordinary people? I don't, you know.
Speaker 3: I do think people at this point are smart enough to self select, got it? Yeah, I do get a little way. I mean I think weirdly, the hard rock in Hollywood, Florida is the one that's shaped like a guitar. It's like crazy three I literd disappointing. One thing is you hear it shape like a guitar, and you're like, that's so dumb. And then when you're driving in you see it and you do have that kid moment.
Speaker 1: Of like, oh my god, I'm gonna stay guitar. Yeah we love that hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really kind of cool. The neck of the guitar you wish was a little higher. Obviously it doesn't make sense. You're in a hurricane state, so it it's only maybe like five or six frets up. I think the idea is that sort of you're supposed to think it disappears into the class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. It's an upright guitar. It's an upright guitar.
Speaker 3: Okay, And but that I felt like that was real, Uh, Trump country, but the kind of Trump country where they have money and they're totally fine come to your show and not be like, you know, like we all. I mean, isn't he a lot like yeah, he's doing He's.
Speaker 1: Only doing his thing. Yeah, it was funny, right, the rest of it was funny. But then when he got a little edgy, you.
Speaker 3: Know, but anyway, you know, also does good things, so like that's yeah, yeah, well okay, here's my question.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned like looking at a guitar shaped hotel and getting very excited. Are you like us where you reap the NBC perks and by us Simon and Bowen. Are you a theme park person but you go to Universal Studios and sort of kill it.
Speaker 3: I am waiting, the kids aren't quite there, okay, And so but I have I will say I did not take advantage as an adult without children of the theme park world.
Speaker 1: Right, we do it? You know, why would you I had?
Speaker 3: I've seen part of the era years where I lived in Amsterdeare for a couple of years, I worked for this theater in Chicago and sort of middle of Holland there is this place called Efteling, which is, for my money, the best theme park in the world, and it's sort of fairy tale themes and it's built in sort of a forest. And that was We would just go there on a bus and take hard drugs. Yes, And it was to me, I kind of I'd just be chasing that the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's what happened to us because we this was like pre anyone knowing who the fuck we were, It's the most important. So we went. That's really what ended up happening because we went, our friend Dave and us we went to Universal and Disney World and he had made these you know, when someone makes weed food themselves, it's gonna be a gnarly ryde yes, and we're really roll in the dice. So he had made these rice crispy treats that weed butter looted, yeah, with THHD And I'm telling you, like, we would take mouthfuls of this and just be like unable to speak at Universal, just exploring the world, you know what I mean, immersing in these rides and like we were children, and now I don't think we can ever do that again because I don't think we'll ever ingest we'd like that again, because they don't make it like that anymore, and we've already had that experience of being children and like rechilding ourselves.
Speaker 3: Yes, so it's really I will say that if you veer into a bad trip, the last thing you want to be around is a bunch of Dutch teenage just because all of a sudden that like it.
Speaker 1: Really everything about it is so this hits this level of sort of melting grotesqueness. Yes, yes, yeah, oh that's hard.
Speaker 2: I think we've said publicly it's a gross language. It doesn't really so to me it doesn't hit. No, we just performed at Broom Chicago.
Speaker 1: We're a little mad at them right now because they lost the audio of ar Michelle Collins upisode and so we're a little mad at that right now. But it was a lovely experience performing there, and we were there and I was like, oh wow, this was Boom Chicago. Yes, this was I was.
Speaker 3: It was a different physical space when I was there. But I've performed and that's why I went back there for the thirtieth Aniversity this summer, which was cool. I mean, I think we missed each other by a deck. Yeah, I had texted you, was like when we were there, No, when I was there, when I took a solo, little old trip there in July.
Speaker 1: Or something something like that.
Speaker 2: The talk of the town was well seth Myers was just here and I said, oh, like his show was last night. Let me see if he's into And by the way, it was just to be it was. I was just texting me to be like, I heard your in town. I'm just here by myself, just like wandering the canals, like if you're up to anything.
Speaker 1: Let me know. And then you would obviously taken a flight out. I was very sure of his. I would have been lovely to walk the canals. Well, we would just walk the canals.
Speaker 3: I think we would have walked it thro out.
Speaker 2: I think we maybe stopped for a coffee, you know, side canal side coffee. Rich stuffful, We got rich stuff?
Speaker 1: You did? Did you enjoy your right stuff? I love it, love it. I absolutely love Amsterdam in the canals in the evening when there's no one there, it is quite peaceful.
Speaker 3: I realized I have a problem with Amsterdam. What is my own personal problem with me? I find the nostalgia for the time I had there is oppressive because it was where things. It was that sense of beginning, which is an impossible thing to recreate. I was there with this exceptional group of people and we were all had this adventurous spirit of let's go move overseas, let's take this chance, and we're doing great shows. And then one by one we all started to, you know, find success outside of it. And that was all great, that was the plan. But oh, it's impossible. And so sometimes I go back there and I walk these canals where even though you know, everything that I could have possibly hoped would have happened for me has happened for me. Like you still don't float the way you float when you're twenty four and you just crushed as isn't that interesting?
Speaker 1: It's so true.
Speaker 2: Well, but we don't really experience that, I think because we were coming up here.
Speaker 1: I experienced that after I left New York, so basically like I had this in New York City, Like it's very hard for me sometimes still to be like around NYU in the Lower East Side and even around like UCB Chelsea and stuff like that. Like I had left for five years and then came back and the pandemic had separated me from it, and so I found like one night when I was walking around, we just talked about this, but I got really emotional just being like back in New York, like looking at theaters that were there and aren't there anymore, and like, you know, because it's what you're saying. It's like I remember like crushing a character set at you seb East and feeling like better than I do after I like release a fucking album or something, you know what I mean. It's just it's funny. One of the questions they asked is what would you tell yourself ten years ago? What would you tell yourself fifteen years ago? Just like enjoy it because those are such iconic memorable like is irrepeatable a words like so it could be you can't repeat them. Well.
Speaker 3: Also, the crushing was the thing. Yeah, that's all it was. Yeah, Like when you mentioned like putting out an album, you put it out and then you wait, right, but that instant reaction like the goal you went out and you never thought tonight tonight. Someone from Amsterdam show business mister Amsterdam is going to be in the audience, so you never thought you were going to break yeah night, and it was just this also that wonderful thing and you guys obviously had it where succeeding is part of a collective, which happens a little bit at SNL, but not really because there's never a night where everybody has a great night.
Speaker 1: Totally, that's such an interesting thing.
Speaker 3: I will say a nice way looking back at my favorite era of SML, like I think we all look back at it like, look, we all crushed every week even though we know we didn't, yes, but we allow that to be the memory of it. Which was what era my I think for me it's thirty six to thirty seven to eleven two seven two yeah, yeah, of course it's it's it was the greatest freshman class of all time. Andy and the Lowland absolutely weeks today is bill? I mean that that alone?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was really really that was very special and weirdly enough, so we were freshmen in two thousand and eight and what I would do every single weekend as I would go wait on the stand by line. I was like a stand by girl. Like I met Bobby moynahan on the stand by line Bill Hater came out, I think.
Speaker 2: So high, and that would be weird.
Speaker 1: That is not my memory. He was he seemed to high, but it was Bill Hayter, you know what I mean, like and Bobby and they were coming out to say hi to us, and I remember I got in. My first show was James Franco and Kings of Leon, which and I think I was just in shock the whole time. And this was when Tina was coming to do Sarah Yeah and Sarah Sarah Balin. And then my I think second episode was Ann Halfaway and The Killers, and this episode was when Kristen did Laurence Weelkshea and I was sitting there and I just thought, this is this energy is so insane and so wild that like it like drove me for the rest of my life. And the other thing I remember, and this is this is you, was how fucking cool you were when you came out for a weekend update and you gave all the interns high fives and everyone in the theater was like, it's seth Myers. You know what I mean. You came out and like frush weekend updates, Weekend Update was incredible and I just remember your energy and your vibe and then meeting you years later, I was like, that totally tracks just from me, like even seeing this man inhabit of space, because you set the tone that was like the best vibe, best vibe.
Speaker 3: I am thank you, that is I'm so happy you mentioned that show because we just had Anne Hathaway on. I can't even remember if I just mentioned this on camera. It is the only time I remember. When that show was over, the audience gave a standing ovation. It was amazing, a standing ovation, and the Killers performed again. And The Killers performed again. Yeah, and my parents were at that show, and I introduced my mom to the Killers, and as they walked away, she said very loud and they heard. She goes, well, I don't know why they called themself of the Killers. They couldn't be nicer boys.
Speaker 2: That it couldn't be nicer.
Speaker 1: They couldn't be a nicer boy, couldn't be.
Speaker 3: Also, though I have a weird shame thing, and this is that not being able to let go of a choice. I don't think this mattered. We lost the Emmy all those years, and let me just say so fucked up that year and that went those Sarah Palelin things. That is the most I ever felt like we were on a winning team. Yes, there was white hot and having Tina back, and I felt like we had we understood we have to keep out doing ourselves and it was so thrilling and so fun and that cast was coming into his own and people were everybody walked out. You were excited to see. It was nuts and it was great at the end of the year. I remember as head writer, they you get to pick a sketch to submit. I don't think it would have mattered, but I remember I didn't pick that one because Lauren thought he picked a different one, which was a worst show. But it was the one Sarah Palin was actually on right yes, which was also incredible.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 3: That moment was incredible. The rest of the show was it was esoteric in a way, whereas the Ann Hathaway Show was just banger after banger after Everybody's so funny because I remember after we lost, it was like it wouldn't matter at I'll forget about this every time it comes up with like I wanted to pick that one.
Speaker 2: Wow, So but no, I mean, I feel like Emmy's NSNL were in this we I mean, it still is in this weird existential place now where like they don't quite know what to do with the show or like where to place it or how to categorize it. But it's like back then, it was like it's like, why wouldn't you nominate Kristen and Bill every single thing and Andy and Jason like that whole cast. Why wou't you nominate all those people in the same league, is like, you know, the sitcoms of that day.
Speaker 1: I just think, well, and I've said this to you, and this is it doesn't make sense to me that there's not a variety performance category, because I think you would have an Emmy if there was. I'm just saying that. I mean, like, I think it's weird to say, let's put these variety performers in with people that are playing characters with emotional arcs, because actors, especially like will vote for that before they vote for like somebody do. I feel as though I with Bowen's George Santos. I've seen a journey that I actually went to his, so I'm kind of addicted to like the fact that he still digs in on Twitter. It's so crazy. I went with Twitter and to see if he had comments and on it, because I want him to say something about you so bad so that I can log onto our Twitter and be like, I just want to.
Speaker 2: Say he's in the weeds right now. I don't think he has on.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised if you has. I just don't put anything past him to do the dumbest shit possible.
Speaker 2: Although I mean, what gay Twitter was talking about this past week was that like, I mean, you want to gay representation in Congress for god, like this fucking slop some gay guy found money and then spend it on makeup and porn.
Speaker 3: Again. It's really it is always be careful. I always say, like I just would just give us one. It's like, well, I bet this will shock you. But my other favorite memory about that year is when it was over yeah, because you know the man between dress and air, Lorne said, you know, he gave all his notes and then he said, I just want you all to know I feel as though.
Speaker 1: This has been a championship season.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I think we all it like it was. Nobody knew what to say because it was Lorne is not someone who has moments like that.
Speaker 1: No I do.
Speaker 2: I think that was for me, and again, just everybody was so in the pocket that year. It wasn't in the pocket season.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, And it was an energy that radiated certainly through the city and I guess to everyone watching it, but in the comedy community that we were in or that we were about to be in, it was really exciting. And you mentioned the Lonely Island. I remember they were like, that was really the year I think too that the digital shorts started like really popping off. And I remember that was like formative, certainly for me, I'm sure for you as well, like because there was something there was an abandon about it that was like that felt like queer to me, and I was hitting me in my head and I was like, there's something about the Lonely Island that makes me feel like I can do whatever the fuck I want. Uh, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I think those had that had so much to do with the next twenty years of comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they're way more influential than people realize. Yes, and I think that even the sketch work of you talk about that. I love that Laurence Well Kristen sketch, but that was sort of inspired by Ride seventies SNL like that could have also worked that anytime, And that was.
Speaker 3: Sort of the magic of Kristin was being this better, more modern version of what we But those guys showed up and it was, oh no, this is a whole new thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is different thing. Yep.
Speaker 2: I mean those seasons were like a perfect little like four dimensional tapestry of like this is like past, present, future all in one.
Speaker 1: Very cool. It's very weird.
Speaker 3: You guys mentioned Henry Milcher, who is a producer the show and obviously went to school with you guys, And for me, it's so crazy just realizing now there's this whole you guys talking about being college when that season happened, and now so many of you and your colleagues have come through been guessed on my show. It must be so weird to have your moment where the people you knew in college are all sort of in culture.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean with Josh and Aaron for Dix, the musical going on, that was like I stayed up for that upside, stay up for your episode this past month.
Speaker 1: It is this like really it's crazy. That was when they were on this show.
Speaker 3: Please I hope you don't take offense to the fact that I will listen to my podcast at a not one.
Speaker 1: I will speed it upload.
Speaker 3: Yes, And that was the first time when the four of you were talking about something like Nope, I'm gonna do it, slowed it down because I can't it started in the beginning, I was like, this is like everybody. It was like in an or if you look down in an orchestra pit and everybody with yeah it was. It enlightened me to know and love that. The only I think that's the only podcast in the last ten years that I've been like, I'm gonna listened to it said one X, Seth and I are the same.
Speaker 1: Man you were Boonen. But so now I do one point seventy five on YouTube. But like I used to get on Boonen because I was like, why would you do that? Because every comedy is intentional, the speed at which we say things as intentional. We talk all the time about how caidence is called.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, but now I understand sometimes because you are just resetting your own internal cadence to it. So because it's also cadence in you know, it was in a relative sense in a relative sense to the other people. So if you see it all, if you sped up, one person created a comedy scene wouldn't make sense. But everybody, I will say I in the early days of The Daily, I had Michael Barbaro on the show. Yes, and I did not realize that anyone could take offense to this, but I said, I love The Daily because it's twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: I can listen to it. At one point five and it was it was as if I slapped the man.
Speaker 3: But it's not because I've seen him since he's lovely and we get I did. Was the first time I realized I felt safe. I felt like a safe place. And I can tell you guys, just play on it at all. Oh yeah, major, this show you got first of all, let me say I have this real. The only hesitation I had about coming on this show is that I feel like your voice is in concert with one another are music, And when I listen to your podcasts, it is like music. And I have the flattest, most nasally voice. I'm working through a cold. I feel like your listeners right now are like, who let this out too? I feel like you are too, like a classically trained musician and I'm a third grader with a recorder who is on here like like I have a lot of shame for everybody's life.
Speaker 1: This is just to be further from the truth.
Speaker 2: I listen to Family Trips and I go, wow, I get two meyers vocal timbers.
Speaker 1: This is my heaven.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you think they're too, because I do think we sound You sound so similar in a way that is only delightful for me. I go, these are two good guys talking in my ear.
Speaker 1: I'm all for it. You're so off base for the okay, thank you. We are so we were described by Betty gilp and us piccolo and bassoon, and I feel like.
Speaker 2: You've arrived her as a clarinet. Welcome to the orchestra, baby or the Betty.
Speaker 1: I mean she's is that your pinnacle guest? She's one of them? She was. I haven't I listened when she was a guest. You haven't listened to the live one? Was? The live one was fun? But like her first episode Maggots and Magic, that was like a moment in the podcast because we genuinely believe you've had her on your show, right.
Speaker 3: I never have, Oh, you have I know, I'm it breaks my heart that I haven't.
Speaker 1: She's just so smart and so great. You should also check out her book.
Speaker 2: I think it's time to ask Seth the ones. It's literally time, Seth Myers, what is the culture that made you say?
Speaker 1: Culture is so?
Speaker 3: I talked to Henry about this beforehand, and this is the heartbreaking. I can't believe you literally talked about the movie which I should have known, the movie Money Python.
Speaker 1: You know what culture? That was your culture? But in and that's fair.
Speaker 3: So my here's my moment because I remember it so clearly. I was homesick from school and usually my mom was a school teacher. Usually she would take the day off and I, for some reason, my dad did not go to work one day, you know, when he was a businessmanic commuted to Boston. He's like, I'll stay home with you, and he went to the Video Story and he rented it. He brought it home and obviously it was a movie he'd seen, and that the opening credit that was the thing mine was there was all of a sudden, they just slowly started mentioning a moose in the credits, like moose handler. And I remember there was one that was Moose's nose wiped by, And for whatever reason, I think that's the moment where you go, I don't think I ever will, but it would be nice to be in a world where I would try to write something back Wow, because it's also writing as a kid, when you realize writing because that thing of and again that's Python. But I loved SNL as a kid, but my parents also had watched Python, and it showed on public televisions. We'd watch that, and so I kind of liked being the kid who we could all talk about SNL sketches. Certainly was never looked down my nose at SNL. But I also like that I had this other thing which is like you guys probably wouldn't, right, Yeah, yeah, the fact that that was on it was on PBS, right, that's when we saw. Yeah, I think that's probably where the states from the beginning, right that, Yeah, Moose's nose wiped by is pure ready because as a kid, it's like performance is always registered.
Speaker 2: It's a very obvious direct thing. But for you to realize that, like, oh, that's writing, like that is a joke and it's just words on a screen or whatever, is.
Speaker 1: There is that moment when you realize writing is a thing. It's very odd. It's like you things appear on television and you're a kid, you kind of just accept it. Like I remember watching all these movies and just like I'm watching a movie, I don't think about how it came to be, it's just in front of me. And then you realize there's a creative aspect to it, and you're like, how the fuck would I find myself to be that person? But that's like a light bulb moment for a young person.
Speaker 3: I also think the genius and why that movie, Why Life of Brian, why they endure is you make it about a thing from a thousand years ago or whatever. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's also funny as a kid, you know King Arthur, and it's only been presented to you. There's never been a patina of comedy on it, right, and then all of a sudden it is. So it's also the first time as a kid you're like, oh, and also you can be dumb about all this, yes, like you could tell jokes about the idea of Holy Grail is also inherently super sun right, Yeah, and we've been saying this for years now, but I really feel like dumb, frivolous shit is back like between like spam a lot being back shocked to which I love, I love shuck and Josh n Aaron doing Dix is like a perfect example of just like, let's just make jewelry for people's heads instead of like making like these gorgeous embellished adornments of like importance for people. I feel like there's it's great when something's important, especially in comedy, I guess, but like.
Speaker 1: But we flew a little too close to the sun. Then as a generation, I think weepy comedy. By the way, I saw the movie May December. Oh oh my god, it is a wild. It is a wild. Natalie is the best she's ever been, Like I'm telling you when she crushes it like she's and there's obviously no debate, but obviously one of the best. We have Julianne's cuckle bird in it, like she has a lisp, which has to be I'm looking at you, the audience, you have to go. And then Charles Melton from Riverdale like Deliver is one of the best supporting performances of the year. I think the script is naha sah and what I will say the funniest thing is is the Golden Globes. I guess I don't know. Maybe they feel this is the way forward for it, but it's being categorized as a comedy, and I'm like, wait, I'm sorry, No, that's the comedy of that is that you think this movie passes as a comedy. People might disagree because I guess you could call it like a very very very dark satire, like a black back, black black black comedy, but like not really.
Speaker 3: I can't believe in the reboot of The Golden Globes, the first thing they did was say, we're gonna say what your movies are. Yeah, you know what I mean, because that was always like they it was just the most corrupt, you know, category Hunting or Joe, And maybe they were like, that's who we are, and that's how.
Speaker 1: People like, Yeah, maybe they're just not afraid of it. But to hear that May December was going to be a comedy days after I had seen it, it shook me to my core. And what I will say is I think I get the impulse for someone that's done really hard comedy and stuff like that, like a comedian, to want to show and express another side I get that, but also like I just feel sometimes it's a shame when there are no laughs in something that's meant to be like a comedy, like and that's why I feel I hope you're right, because I want to say, like stupid never left, and Stupid's always been there, but like it kind of did.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like stupid doesn't get Like what a lot of people were saying about DICKX was that they were like, this is beyond critique, Like we don't know how to like the reviewers were like, we don't really know what to rate this. Yeah, yeah, right, And I feel like there is something about comedy that's like outside of like any kind of criticism in a way, in a way that is unfortunate because I think a lot of comedy, like The Police are destroy Boys had their movie came out and like a lot of the reviews are like, this was great forty out of one hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean. It's that is the weird.
Speaker 3: I mean again, it's a reminder why there's a poison to putting a number on it. Sometimes you read a thing and all it will be is positive yep, And then.
Speaker 1: When you look at the number and you're like, now, what what is that? All right? Yeah exactly, And they do that with comedies all the time.
Speaker 3: Please don't destroy has the thing. They'll still never pass up the chance to tie it to SNL of course, of course, so that is the thing they if you are an SNL person, And it feels like, even though Lauren had nothing to do with it, like they will and I was noticing. I'm like, oh, even these people really like it, or like they want to tell.
Speaker 2: You they know these are guys on us, yes and yes, and then put it in the same cluster of films as like Tomato's doing the Ladies Man movie, Like it's not the same thing anyway I did.
Speaker 3: We were looking for something just again, we're starting to shut off our brains. My wife and I either today and because i'd listen to you guys do a list. I have not since I saw in theaters watched my best friend's wedding.
Speaker 1: Oh wasn't it great?
Speaker 3: And I feel like, you, guys, the thing that you forgot to make and is so much When was the era of I'm doing comedy meant I'm gonna fall down seven times?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. She's constantly on her back.
Speaker 3: And constantly falling down. And then I think even when Rupert Everett shows up, he falls down. There's a lot of like that was an error where people would look at you when you weren't supposed to be seen, and you would you would be so taken aback that you would you would just fall a lot of falling in that.
Speaker 1: She makes everything easy in that even the constant falling down. A lesser actress, people would be like, watch you have fallen down so much? Oh, but yeah, everything that is the ease of it.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's a generation of let's just say actress who like I've heard anecdotally from people that are like, oh, well, this actor like across different projects, the same actor has pitched multiple times to different writers. What if I fell into I will I'll tell you, I'll tell you who it is off Mike, But it's the same act legendary, a list actress who has been in every movie that you love, has for multiple movies, been like, I think the scene is fine. I think it'd be better if I fell into You're gonna love the answer.
Speaker 3: I'd like to make our camera guesses and then you don't have to say who it is. Okay, please next episode say whether or not we're right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, okay. Well I will also say one of my favorite stories is when I was at n YU studying writing in my sitcom class, like this woman had written on a sitcom that starred It was one of those like first name sitcoms in the nineties, and she said that the actress came into the writer's room one day and said, there's just too much conflict in the episodes? Can I just come in and jump on the bed. And they had to explain to her that in her half hour sitcom, which needs a story and conflict to create comedy and all the things she really wants, she can't just come in and jump on again. I know what you're talking about. I do.
Speaker 3: I remember Fred, when he was pitching Los of Spookies to me, was saying that he wanted to open it.
Speaker 1: Do you know this.
Speaker 3: He wanted to open the first episode by saying, because Fred had this theory that conflict is over.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: He was like, I think we're I think we're post contact, which is a very funny Fred idea, and he wanted to start it by him sitting there and him Fred arms in this show is called Los of Spookies.
Speaker 1: We just want you to nothing bad's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so sweet everything everything's going to turn out fine and we don't ever want you to worry when you watch this show. I think Basket it was such a funny idea because of course lots of Spookies is nothing bad happened. But it was really funny to be like, we just want you to know a lot of shows right now because even comedies right like bad things started happening in comedies all the time.
Speaker 1: It's like, yep, this isn't that that's so funny because we're working on something together for us, and in the thing that we're doing, we say, you never worry about the friendship, don't worry, don't always going to be friends?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know why that's like a huge disclaimer that we have to put in there. Yeah, but it feels like who are we doing that for? For us, for them, for the network? Like what is that for for everybody? Because I think it is pretty ingrained at this point that it's like it's not like we used to watch sitcoms like it used to be like a family matters, like a fresh prince thing where it was like, oh, it's always gonna be fine, yeah, you know, but now we're not quite as reassured. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that it's also that thing of like us wanting to be clear about the fact that, like, if we do something it's gonna be comedy, don't it's not going to do that thing where it's like I look over my shoulder at boone in one episode and a silent teer rolls down my face because I'm concerned about the deterioration of who we are, you know what I mean, Like, whereas which I think we've done, We've seen like I'm tired of and sad and dark, but God blessed those shows.
Speaker 2: But God blessed there was.
Speaker 3: Now I feel like, right a lot of comedies we're in this sort of gritty comedy area era. I feel like ten years ago, I remember talking to my friends that there should be a different category called whimsy that was not because there was a there was a brand of comedy for a while where there.
Speaker 1: Was no expectation.
Speaker 3: They were laughs, but it certainly wasn't a drama. But it just sort of lived in this middle where it was just it's look, it's whimsy.
Speaker 1: It's jumping on the bed.
Speaker 2: It's the bed.
Speaker 3: Did you have when you were at NYU? Did you ever take a class taught by Eric Gilliland?
Speaker 1: Eric Gilliland, I don't think so. Was he in dramatic writing. He had written for Roseanne, Okay, so he. I think it was like a visiting teacher. The most iconic teacher we had. His name was Charlie Rubin. He had written for Seinfeld, SNL and Simpsons, and I remember it was like three iconic essays and every every every like straight dude that I was in college with was like Seinfeld, Simpsons, SNL baby, and like having to learn that. Of course SNL was like deep and Seinfeld. My dad was like a huge Seinfeld fan. But the Simpsons was this thing that like felt like, were you a Simpsons kid?
Speaker 2: I was a Simpsons kid, and then going to NYU felt completely alienated by all the Simpsons quoting that was going on around. I thought, I loved this show and I guess I know nothing about it. Yeah, so it's taking me this like re I re tutored myself into this idea that like, oh, I have always loved the Simpsons just as much as anyone else It's just it was this competition to see who like loved the Simpsons the most anyway.
Speaker 1: But Charles Reuben, No, I'm just saying like he was an iconic teacher, and I remember those three shows like set him up as being that way, and so I mean saying that he had that background meant that he had like disciples. Yeah, he had the full attention.
Speaker 3: Can I review a movie that i've Yeah, yeah, and I will watch the whole it's The Holdovers the Yeah I'm hearing, which I really enjoyed the first half of. But GIAMMANI best Friend's wedding.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Yes he plays he works at the hotel. Oh my god. Wow.
Speaker 3: And so I'm very excited thanks to you. I do believe I'm going to ask him about his time on my.
Speaker 1: You you should, and I'm happy you brought it back because you know what clip I often go to and watch again and again and again on YouTube from that movie It's not pick Me too, as Me Love Me, which should always get the credit as it walked so that Meredith Greg could run. Sure, is it when they're on the boat. It's when they're on the boat. Yeah, yeah, Kimmy says, just you love someone, you say it, you say it right then out loud, this is myrmot, it's Lauren lor. Otherwise, the moment just passes, you buy, passes, you buy, and then the moment they go, I have to say something. And this is again, this is praise for the two.
Speaker 3: I believe you are the way I would describe you your witnesses, like when you see things like it's so I was like the backup dancers at Usher are so lucky you were at their ship. I kind of like, yeah, but like you know what I mean, Like, you guys see things and then you talk about things. So I because you mentioned that quote on your Julia Roberts episode, and so I think I would have missed how good that scene was.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 3: But because you were talked about it, I want like, oh wow, Yeah. I sometimes could allow myself to maybe get a little jaded during a romantic comedy and then I.
Speaker 1: Realized, oh no, this is the it's an excellent one.
Speaker 3: This is the But again, like you need these moments to like weave it all together, and if you don't have this really special moment, God was up to his tricks that day too, because the way that her hair is blowing.
Speaker 1: It was like they said, we're gonna set up a perfect day, yeah for this shot. And I have to say, like that movie, I think there's like, is there anything problematic about it?
Speaker 2: Even like it's not like other movies of that.
Speaker 3: Why when people start singing at a restaurant it's all of a sudden scored with a backing shot for sure.
Speaker 1: Problematic problematic?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that was It's very safely not problematic at all. No, and an iconic Chicago movie, iconic, would you say so? And I think it is an iconic I got movie you've never seen?
Speaker 2: She is so good?
Speaker 1: Where was her Oscar nomination? Met her exactly one time?
Speaker 3: And you know what, I should answer this question because sometimes I do a Q and A at my show before the last act, and sometimes.
Speaker 1: People will say, are you ever starstruck?
Speaker 3: And this is really one of them. I was I hosted an Emmys and I was backstage with a couple of writers and at the Emmys there was just a lot of calming and going between the wings and this was she had a mini series.
Speaker 1: On Amazon.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, and that was great. By the way, she was just sort of racing by and she just stopped and put a hand on Myra and say, oh my god, you're doing such a great job. And I was like, oh my god, thank you. And then she went and it was just like I didn't have enough time to be in the moment of Wow, that was thrilling that. I think, you know, you do enough SNL, you host a talk show, You think, oh, who can you meet? That would actually and she's something else. It did that happen with Taylor Taylor Swift?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the last time I saw Taylor, I made an ass of myself and I was very anxious and she called me out on it.
Speaker 1: It was her and Travis Kelsey.
Speaker 2: I go, I texted you in August a mega mix on YouTube of your songs and I'm so sorry, and she goes, what And I go, I was on ketamine and I'm really really sorry. I shouldn't have done that. And she was like, and then I apologized to Travis about something, and then she goes, I think this is just your anxiety, like, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 1: Bye. It was.
Speaker 2: I think there are moments like that where I go, oh, working at SNL and doing a show like this, it makes me worse at talking to famous people.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it does, and you feel that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I think I'm going through like some Joseph Campbellian thing where I'm like gonna circle back to like being okay, But right now I'm in a weird weird.
Speaker 3: Maybe ten hopefully I haven't told this story too much, but ten twelve years ago, maybe she'd hosted SNL. My wife and I were somewhere at maybe that time one hundred event, and she was there and went up and said hello, My wife's a big fan of hers. And we said, oh, we're going to Nashville. We had never been, and she said, oh my God, give me your email. I'll tell you where to go. And I gave my email to Taylor Swift and two days later, the longest, most helpful email I would say, eight mini paragraphs about different places.
Speaker 1: To go in Nashville.
Speaker 2: And this is still you know, she's not Taylor Swift of today, but she's Taylor Swift there was at the time when she has established Taylor Swift. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean some people also, like I've noticed that when people are like, let me make recommendations, and they mean that. Some people really love to do that. They're like it's like a power people have. I forget the name of every restaurant I ever go to.
Speaker 3: I also don't want the burden of people. I don't want them to put their vacation in my hands.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely, not like I could.
Speaker 2: I couldn't possibly project my interests onto yours. Is it because your question, your own taste or their reaction to my own taste?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So it's insecurity, Yes, it's insecurity. That's one hundred percent. My dad, my parents gotten it down. I live in the West Village. My dad said he's staying at a hotel nearby with my mom, and he said, we're gonna have lunch with your brother. I'm like, great. He goes, are there good places to have lunch? Panic in town?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, there are tons a million place. It's New York City.
Speaker 3: Don't make me tell you.
Speaker 1: But could you say even one? No?
Speaker 3: I couldn't say no. Well, Also, Mike, because my dad is to his I guess if you think honesty is a virtue, we'll tell you.
Speaker 1: What he thought.
Speaker 3: Okay, so then you're just protecting yourself protected. Yeah, yeah, but you know the tricky one, which brings me a little bit of shame. Is.
Speaker 1: People always ask me about answer.
Speaker 3: I am, and it's that weird thing where you say, I haven't lived there for twenty five years, and when I lived there with twenty five years ago, I had no money and so I don't actually and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like three sentence ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just not they had a different government, right, yeah, Like yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Bowen, I'll just say, we gotta go to the Soho house. Bowen will go to every international Stowho house. You are their number one game.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 2: It's only because I don't know where Berlin.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I've never been here before. I don't know where to go. Let's go to the soho Is food there at the German Stufho house.
Speaker 3: It's oh, you haven't had Mexican until you at the German house.
Speaker 1: I want to have like a membership somewhere, but I don't know where because then, like I feel like you get clocked sometimes, like okay, so they're not supposed to clock you, no, no, no, not clocked in terms of like we see who you are. It's just like I feel like people are like, oh, you remember there, you know what I mean. I know, but that's part of the exchange.
Speaker 3: I went to Berlin once with some ICINL people and I'm going to tell you the name of ansnal person who still works there, who rocked so hard in Berlin, and it's gonna blow your mind. I'm gonna tell you the name Eric Kenward. Oh, Eric Kenward r. Last choice, right, It's not totally unsurprising, yes, but Eric Kenward. We were out in Berlin. Everywhere we went, we would be at sort of underground bars. It would be three in the morning and we would say, are we're gonna go? He's like, yeah, I'm gonna i'ma go check out another place, just like he would have gone to the bar and met some other German.
Speaker 2: And he is because he's very on top of it. Yeah, we put together person, very put together.
Speaker 3: Person, and he a whole different version of him came out in Berlin and one night we went to a night club in Berlin and the next morning he goes, I think I left my passport at the club.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And it was the funniest thing because it was, you know, ten am, and we went back like a German nightclub at ten am looked like there was no no It was like the amount of locks on the doors. It's like, this might not open again ever a day. It doesn't look it looks like a condemned And I'll bring it back to one of the credits you mentioned. I thank you very much for doing that New Year's Eve. So I was in the film Newars Eve. It was then my final film.
Speaker 1: It's on Delta. By the way, you can watch it on Delta almost.
Speaker 3: You know what I will say, I have I've been in the kind of movies that I have seen on the back of seats where people then flip no, you still get residentied. I think if they started, I get a resist. So one of my co stars in that movie is a guy named Till Schweger who is a German actor. He was in Gloria's Bastard yep. And he had said to me, if you're ever in Germany, here's my number, and I assume you know, I was like, I'm never gonna see me.
Speaker 1: We worked.
Speaker 3: It was like three days we worked on that movie, and then I'm in Germany. I'm like and he told me I'm a huge start in Germany. And so I text Till Schweiger and I'm like, han with like five friends, and he goes, oh my god, where are you. I'm like here, he goes, come over. So he went over and he was the nicest. He said, I've got a bunch of bikes.
Speaker 1: We'll get it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll get bikes. And he's the guy who took us this night club. And by the way, he was like everywhere you went he heard people be like this is like everybody even on bikes, people like so and so. Anyway, he's like, come out on my boat there. So kenra loses his passport and we get on till Schweger's boat and uh, Ken was like, I think I gotta go to the embassy or you know, because we gotta fly Andti it's like, what happened. I'm like his left his passport at the club last night. He's like yeah, hold on second, and he just like I mean, you know, it's yeah, is it Schweger? My friend did Kenvid is a passports?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Good guy and he's like yeah, they have it. He just like call like new like he had like the phone number to like club owners in Berlin.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: And it was immediately like it'll be at your hotel. So that was that was a lot of you know what, I will say, I did not enjoy my time on film sets. I felt very out of my depths.
Speaker 1: Okay, but there's it was a great experience. Who is your wife?
Speaker 3: And that Jessica Bill, So that's a nice thing just as a credit. But the other couple was Till Schweger and Sarah Paulson. Oh, so that was it was a really nice foursome.
Speaker 1: And uh Marshall.
Speaker 3: It was Garry Marshall. Gary Marshall, who I love. I loved him so much and he he was a Northwestern guy. Yeah, and I remember one are the days I had a scene where I was gonna run down the hallway because you know, Jessica's water had broken.
Speaker 1: I do not remember her character's name. I apologize.
Speaker 3: I was run down the hallway. I was gonna bump in an old lady and apologize to her. And I remember Gary came up with you.
Speaker 4: He goes, I want you to think of your favorite teacher you ever had, and whatever her name was. When you bump into this lady, you're gonna say I'm sorry, missus, whatever her name was, and she's gonna watch it, and she's gonna say, look at it.
Speaker 3: He remembers me anyway.
Speaker 1: It's so sweet.
Speaker 3: And then end of the day we run along, have to cut the scene. No, but he comes in, he goes, I'm cutting the scene. Will you promised me you're gonna call her?
Speaker 1: Oh you did not?
Speaker 3: I think also the thing that I had never had that to tell her. I'm like, I'm pretty sure she's long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't have a scary thought of like because your favorite teachers when you were young might have they old now, or you'd see them and they would look like so different. I'm scared later you to bring it to that. I had to bring it there, you know what. I was looking at the New Year's Eve thing and there's so many stars.
Speaker 3: Michelle and none of us met each other because it was everything was like silent. It wasn't like one of those movies where we all meet.
Speaker 1: Up at the end, so you're not in your future. You don't see more on camera act I do not, and I feel great.
Speaker 3: I had a moment I remember where I decided I wasn't going to be I wasn't gonna do that anymore.
Speaker 1: And I was so the relief I felt. It was so lovely. Well, we had a part for you.
Speaker 3: I big, big movie, any big movie with you two, if it's the case where I get to play.
Speaker 1: It was like, you know the one we're talking about, Well, actually, what are you a role?
Speaker 2: That's what I was going on. It's like, I think this is just a challenge.
Speaker 1: I have to say your Gary just now, you're Gary Marshall just now was unbelievable. Put a camera on you there. That's an for the bike.
Speaker 3: I have a perfect level of impersonation for my current which is very undercooked, but like grabbing the essence of Yes. There was a moment in time where the beginnings or the idea of a Steffan script was being discussed when a millennium bill write one. And this was not a scene that's ever written, but I did have a pitch for myself and Steffan, which was because I knew it was going to be Steffan and James Franco, you know, whatever whoever his It wasn't going to be me and Steffan. But you figure in, So I figured in. So I said, here's how I think it should start. It should start with Stefan when we get update, and then when it's over, you know, and once again I'm so disappointed that as the city correspondent he did not bring whatever St. Patricks State tips, and he said, look, jamake it.
Speaker 1: Up for you.
Speaker 3: Just come out with me one night, Just come out have a night me and you together as Stefan's New York. And I'm like, all right, one night, and then you would just do these super fast cuts of he and I and all these crazy clubs. That would be the opening montage, and then it would end with me in a body bag and Stefan would say He's dead, and then title like then the splash stuff on the movie, and then it would be about him following, you.
Speaker 2: Know, that would be that is the most beautiful bridge out of I thought it was a world bridge.
Speaker 1: That is so funny, and honestly, fifteen years before they would have made that movie, it was Yeah, I think that was a real Bill had a good sense of because again it was still pristine to have a has no character.
Speaker 3: That also, that was the greatest gift to me as far as I mean, I thought my job was just to be Stefan's foil. And then very slowly him and Malaney wrote this. It was my romantic company.
Speaker 1: I can't believe it really developed into something gorgeous. It was. It was a moment in culture. Yeah, that was that was incredible. We both it was his last.
Speaker 3: Bill's last show was that getting married to Andre Cooper, and we had me saving me the wedding and we villa and I ran off stage, or he ran off, and then I followed him, and then it went to the pre tape and then Bill and I were backed age right outside the control room wardrobe if you can picture, and we're watching a pre tape and now he's wearing a veil and we're holding hands. And it was Bill's last show, and it was Sidigus's last show and friend's last show, I think, and so and the last the previous year had been Andy and Wiggs. So for me, end of the era. I also know I'm leaving that year at the host late night and Bill and I are holding hands and we're both like starting to cry. And I was so funny because I remember I was getting married a few months later, and I'm like, I don't cry at my real wedding.
Speaker 1: Did you I did that?
Speaker 3: But it was yes, oh yes, but it's happy Capricorn. I'm a real happy crier.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I rarely cry out of sadness. I will I'm a happy I mean, one of the great things in life is for me is like telling people how much you love him?
Speaker 1: How much? I mean, do you? That is so wonderful. I think if I've ever cried, it's been happy thing. I don't think I've ever cried for a sad thing on here on here. Yeah, I've definitely cried for that.
Speaker 2: You have, I have.
Speaker 1: I have a nice you have a beautiful range of range of emotion. I've tried to cry, not even tried to cry, but like I realized the other day, so I got on like Xippro this year, and I feel like it's made me unable to cry, and it's been hard to not have that because I do identify as a crier. So then I thought, maybe I'll get off of it. I missed crying. And then you realize, no, no, no, it's not the reason of it. You might cry all the time. Can you just lower the doors? So I get like two, yeah, good cries. Do you know what weekend update character? I always feel like should have come back, and it came in her last year. And you know who I'm going to talk about. I know you're gonna talk about flirting expert Rebecca LaRue. I mean, it's unbelievable, it's the I think it was her best work ever. Well, I I'll just say here's how good it was. It was.
Speaker 3: While it was going on, I had a moment where I thought, am I gonna fuck Christy?
Speaker 1: It literally is so.
Speaker 3: It's so so real, real, so real, And it was such an indictment the kind of girls that I was into before I met my wife. Was like having this weird flashbacks like this is nice. She's making me feel nice.
Speaker 2: This is so for me because that's why it's so funny, is because that is a person in the world and that's how they are. But I gotta say, so, you can access dress rehearsal footage for every single episode that's ever aired. I love this and I was so curious. I was like, how did Rebecca LaRue play a dress?
Speaker 1: Oh? I don't even know. Do you not remember? I have no memory.
Speaker 2: I went back and watched the dress version of that and I read the script completely different, almost completely, and like, it didn't And I'm gonna say, and I think it's okay that I say this didn't necessarily play a dress and It's one of those things where I go, that's amazing that they're like, we know what to change, we know how to fix this, and by the time it got to air it was perfect.
Speaker 1: How would you characterize the changes? It was just like she didn't open her legs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dress she did it. I think she like underplayed it. I think she was quite too long and like it didn't have a breaking moment by the end, like it was just they really really fixed it up by it.
Speaker 3: I also I'm at risk of saying, well, that was the Wig era where she knew it would go through no matter what.
Speaker 1: But that was never her style.
Speaker 3: Sure, but that wasn't she never counted on anything right, So right, I don't even think it was a case of her being like I'm going to pace myself. I do think it was a case of her being smart enough. Probably wrote it with Kent Games. I'm gonna guess where they knew how to fix it. Yeah, and that is I mean so early on when I was doing update alone. Shoemaker, who's my producer, my Shreemaker fast he now claims that he maybe made this up to give me a note because he said, look, they've done some testing on you as a solo update host. And one of the things they said is they don't like when you don't like the guest. The viewer doesn't like when I'm mad, And I will say I think that was sort of a bygone comedy move just being frustrated, Like if I was always frustrated with Stefan, it would have been less fun. And so I gave myself permission to just enjoy. Yes, And with that said, there's still so many moments knowing that they were dress rehearsals of all those characters where they were so capable, that group of people was so capable of still being surprising two hours later.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But that is the thing where, like I think Alex Bayz pointed this out, like the most flattering thing that ever came out of me doing the Iceberg was like Henry was telling me that Alex Bayes was telling Henry that, like, the Iceberg is so crazy because it's usually Colin or Seth or Jay or whoever's at the update desk being like, hey, come on, hey, come on, guests, like stop doing that. But this was a reversal where it was Colin being like come on, like like teasing something out of the guests being like, no, once you give us something, won't you talk about like the Titanic thinking but for a little bit. And it's the guests who's like, no, I'm not going to do that. I was like, oh, like I that had never occurred to me and Anna dress and that like that's what we were doing. But like that is the thing that like that's another ingreen to think about. Asking No, it's like, oh, whoever's at the update desk is like trying to like tamp down the fun of whatever's going on with the guests or something.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, but like people will say, how did you not laugh during stuffan? And I was saying, I think I laughed all the time. Yeah, I think that was part of the fun of it. When you go back, like I allowed myself. One of my friends Neil Brannan said, he goes. I like to think of update as the last place anyone can get their clients booked. Like everyone has, they've already they've had just like look morning, Joe will not have gone back. He's a persona non grada, you know, but they think, you know, if we could just he promises, And so that was another funny way to think about it, which this is the last place with any of these people can be on it.
Speaker 1: That is such a good frame. Yep, totally. Well, I think it's time. It might be time. I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: This seth is our one minute segment we do. It's where we sort of drag something on culture for let's say a minute, and we said, I don't think so, honey, threw out. I have something, and it's it's not to attack London. It's to make an observation again about something I've said in the past, because let me just get into it.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is Matt Rounders. I don't think so many times starts.
Speaker 1: I don't think so many of the showers in London. Oh, I've come for the water closets and the situations with the toilets being in a separate room. I have a huge bruise on my ass right now. I collapsed in the shower. I didn't even fell. I collapsed. It was more than what Julia Roberts does for comedic effect. It was a full collapse. Okay, I have to tell you what we're trying to do. I appreciate that the shower and the toilet were in the same room. But when the room is too small, that means the shower is too small as well. The shower too small, I collapse the bruise on my as seconds. I was, of course, because this is the horniest time of the year, dming with people about potentially hooking up with them in the days prior to Thanksgiving because people get super horny on the DMS this time of year. I told you this on your show. Yes, I can't hook up with anyone right now because of the ganger tax bruise on my ass.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 1: I would show you, but I just don't think everyone wants to see it.
Speaker 2: I have to say it's bad, it's limiting, and it's because of the size of the shower.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, honey. The way we're set up to fail in London in these certain rooms with the plumbing, that's so scary. I have to tell you. It was just a thing where I was like in the shower and I was just like, okay, well if I can't really move It's like, you know, when there's like too much room you have fun in the shower and you're kind of moving around.
Speaker 2: I don't move around that much, stand right, on what's your shower style?
Speaker 1: You stand right under the water and.
Speaker 2: Then I'll reach and grab a bottle of something.
Speaker 1: But I'm not. I'm not really using the space. I like to like very much move around in the swer. It's not dancing. Will that there's there's a hazard?
Speaker 3: Well sure, but like I feel like your lawyer, if you're going to take legal action against this hotel, your lawyer right now is stop talking, man.
Speaker 1: You are putting yourself in a hard position. And Okay. So then they had what was called a rubber matt, which I guess I was supposed to put down. I'm not saying no, I'm not because my lawyer, Seth, you're a lawyer to he'll be like, I don't know because I think this Seth is right, But I will say I open up. Our laws name is actually Seth. The lawyers name is Seth. Silent killers. We love our lawyers. They were described to us before we hired them as silent kill Were they really?
Speaker 4: I was not.
Speaker 1: They were not described as that to me. We had a manager who was like, you're gonna want these guys. They're silent killers. They're not the kind of lawyers that's like in peoples. They're they're lovely, very very good lawyers. They love when we talk about them. Mother shows. So we always get a text that's great, well, Seth always texts. Is not a texter, Yeah, and not with me. He's a silent text, That's what it is. I'm just not I'm just not seeing it. So I opened the rubber mat and it's like yellow and like it looks nasty, and I'm like, I'm not putting my feet on that, especially as someone who's a survivor of athletes' foot right. I had athletes over about nine months. Oh, and I realized it was because I had to have my shower washed.
Speaker 2: But can I say that you having a bruise on your ass does not necessarily preclude you from hooking up with anybody some people, can I say?
Speaker 1: It's not like cute bruise, Like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, that's not up to you, all right, that's up to the other person.
Speaker 1: I guess should I run the risk?
Speaker 2: I think you should. Also, I don't I disagree that this is the horniest time of year. In a month, it will be the horniest time of year.
Speaker 3: It's actually I don't disagree with me every on record thing for me and press, Oh busy interesting. So it's not weather related or like where our bodies are at during now today, It's just it's just that everyone's busy.
Speaker 1: It's about to become the horniest time of year. Because I said this on his show, but it basically it's like, I know you did well forever on listening at home that didn't watch my incredible segment agree.
Speaker 2: With Henry texted me they were like that was so funny. I said, I have no doubt. And then I said to you, I was like, you have Seth's number.
Speaker 1: I was like, what are you guys in a group chat called Laurence Faves called Lauren Boys Lauren's Boys. So in a little while, it will become the thing where people are like at home for a little bit too long. And I'm telling you this is when you shoot your shot with the person that you like, have like flirted with before a little bit, but like it's never gone there. I bet back in the day, and you can say back in the day, certain hosts came through, like Girl Lady hosts like that that were into it.
Speaker 2: Jeffer Lawrence admitted to having a crush but yeah.
Speaker 3: I will say this, Uh Leaney once said this, did you know we.
Speaker 1: Could flirt with the host?
Speaker 3: I was like no, because I feel like a lot of people did very well. Andy Samberg really yes, I think saday kiss and then it never occurred to me. I mean, I will say bowen. I feel like every day for me at SNL's head writer was Christmas.
Speaker 1: I was too busy. I was just too busy. Just thank you, and you probably knew that they were like coming on, but you were.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't think my radar for that was not up. I was as shocked as anyone when I heard that bounce from Jennifer Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Wow, shocked, not surprising to me at all. But I mean you had every Rebecca LaRue in the city.
Speaker 1: I had lu years. We need to have our LaRue years. Are they happening now? And we just don't know. I think I'm letting them slip away.
Speaker 3: I know, I think I had a moment that maybe there was a nightclub I used to go to that a friend of mine now's kids were having their barmits fat It was just that moment is starting to happen where like you know, we're talking about like New York City, like it's one thing when there used to be a theater there. Even worse if it's the thing you used to go to still there and.
Speaker 2: Now it's this and now it's for venues to go through generations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like to look at it, to look at a corner where you like made out with the Rebecca LaRue and like there's like a thirteen year old like growing up not good anyway. I'm just nervous about the bruise on my ass, and then I feel like it's that weird thing where if I go to hook up with someone like Jessing, you know, there's a huge bruise on my ass, and then I'm kind of scared of the reaction work they're really enthusiastic. I'm sort of over the thing where guys like try to like hurt me during sex. Now that's out, it's out. And if you're in my DMS being like some people really can't stop with the whole thing of like I'm gonna come over in choke you or I'm gonna come over in like you're gonna be in an immense amount of pain. I'm like, what is it?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: That's a real reverse LaRue, that's a very different vibe. This just speaks back to a very hornier time in my life. I remember when it's being with a girl who is in your situation. But I remember she said, I have a boil that I need lance and I don't wanna. I never hooked up with air, and I remember being like, I'm sure it's fine. I literally eatn which is the word. I was like, it's fine, and I think that we should still do it, and she was like, no, let me and let me lance the boil, let me land boil.
Speaker 1: But at the time, I was like, this is you know what? Hy are we getting hung up on boils? It seems she was asking you to lance it. I would you think maybe maybe maybe come over with your Okay? Well, anyway, I guess in a couple of days time, when this episode is out, maybe it'll have gone down a little bit. I'm working at the camera, but I'll be home with my goddamn parents. And I have to say, Long Island Grinder sucks. A Yeah, it's tough out there, but maybe I can find a straight guy. You know. I'm still trying to figure that out. Anyway, This is I don't think so, honey, are you excited about that? I'm excited. Do you have something that you've been thinking about for a long time? Not a long time, but it's top of mind. Okay, well, you know a lot of people are gonna listen to this one. It's a seth Meyer's episode. This is Bowing Young's Out twenty time starts.
Speaker 2: Now. I don't think so, honey. Weighted blankets, I am. These are so dangerous. These are so dangerous. These will kill me.
Speaker 1: I'm waking up.
Speaker 2: Groggy as hell because of this fucking X ray apron on my chest. And why are some of them filled with glass beads? Is this the cock on a Thursday night? Get the beads out, and I'm sorry to shame the people who like the beads in them. Get the beads out of my blankets because it's not And how come half of them aren't machine washable? So I'm supposed to spot treat these things that are disgusting and heavy.
Speaker 1: No way.
Speaker 2: I better be able to put it in my drum, in my little machine and clean them. Otherwise I'm getting the factory smell on me and that is not going to relax me. These weighted blankets are going to ruin my sleep.
Speaker 1: And my life.
Speaker 2: And if you get me one for Christmas, or anyone you love for Christmas, you're wishing death upon your loved one.
Speaker 1: And that's one minute. It's not and I don't really use it, and I think it's a novel.
Speaker 2: I think it's just we're all gonna laugh at how much we supposedly loved these things in a couple of years.
Speaker 3: I also think the bane of a weighted blanket is when you decide you hate it, almost impossible to throw it.
Speaker 1: You can't. Yeah, you're forever.
Speaker 3: Oh it's gonna be whenever you move out of your apartment, you're going to leave it as a welcome to.
Speaker 2: The next person, and you're never going to move out of that parting anywhere near that next person.
Speaker 1: I think that they're really good in theory, But what I fear about the weighted blanket is what actually is it doing to our backs and our bodies? Because I don't think that that can be good for you, because you're not really supposed to sleep with them on right, you're supposed to like rest with.
Speaker 2: Some people say that you can sleep with them and that they're helpful for sleep, And yet I was talking to I was talking to our friend Amber roughing about this yesterday.
Speaker 1: Sorry yesterday, sorry yesterday as well, and she.
Speaker 2: Said, my fear is that I'm going to be too weak to get out of it.
Speaker 1: But I am laughing thinking about Amber struggling under a like late late for work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got a work before I do my I don't think so, honey. There was something in a recent episode that struck home.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you are you're a reader? Like, what's going on? How do you identify? I guess a reader? Finalist? No, you're a finalist.
Speaker 3: Donna Karan, Donna Kana.
Speaker 1: Here is mine?
Speaker 3: I had one, which is my mom my entire life said Tommy Hillfinger.
Speaker 1: That's huge.
Speaker 3: My mother would and I did not never got corrected because I think then I it was a catalog that came to our home and my dad wore a lot of Tommy Hillfinger. But then it was nothing to correct it for me, right, And then I did a charity event for Tommy Hillfinger, and it was thank god I wrote my jokes and I showed it to Shoemaker and thank god I spelled it hillfinger and my because I was ready, and he goes, I'm going to say something, and I wish to be a f Do you think his name is Tommy Hillfinger, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, say things name because it is not Tommy, it's Tommy Hilling. I'm like, oh my god, this could have been.
Speaker 3: Is that to get it wrong in front of him at an event honoring.
Speaker 1: That's like saying Jimmy Buffet, Jimmy Buffet at his funeral, James Buffet? Rest rest in? Are you a parro? Heead? I never cared about it. It was a thing.
Speaker 3: I will say there was a moment in I but so whatever ninety two to wait, hold on, is it really good?
Speaker 1: That's right. I was high school eighty nine to ninety two.
Speaker 3: There were a lot of kids who like love Jimmy Buffett. Yeah. I mean like we would go to parties and that would be there was like Elton John Moxte came out that year and there was a Jimmy, a lot of Buffett.
Speaker 1: And John that was that.
Speaker 2: This is inurban suburban New Hams, suburban New Hampshire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's a thing, and it's an.
Speaker 2: Access point for a lifestyle that is so far away from you. Yeah, especially if you're in New Hampshire or maybe even Yeah.
Speaker 1: The day my dad was at the beach crying a cheer and poor on one out. Good for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a massive good I mean, I do think and that was a very nice I mean talk about a non toxic culture.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, totally perfect. Who do you stan? Who do I stand?
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm I'm I'm outgrowing my stand years like a lot of the things I stand. I you know, I don't even know who I stand anymore.
Speaker 2: Let's say the last person that you were like, I'm gonna really I'm gonna listen to the whole discography. I'm going to like familiarize myself with this person, these people because I love them so much.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so somebody, this music critic I really like, wrote he did make a list of his fifty favorite Elton John songs. There are a lot of them that I didn't like. I realized, I'm like, oh, I didn't know. And there's a lot of like seventies Elton stuff that's really great and like not radio friendly because they're like nine minute songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I had a very nice summer listen to a lot of long Elton John song.
Speaker 1: Elton John is one that I got my dad the Goodbye yellow Brook Road vinyl. And he got really way more excited than I thought he would, and it excited me how excited he was perfect album?
Speaker 2: Yeah, would you Stan? I think Jeff tweeties, but he's a friend.
Speaker 1: He's quite friendly now. But like I do, Stan, will seth Are you ready for? I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 3: I am. I'm so ready for I don't think so, honey. And I hope you let me just do it.
Speaker 1: What are your hopes for this?
Speaker 3: My hopes is that, well, it's going to be holiday theme, okay, great? And I really do Rockfeller Senna. That's one of your songs right in your name, I know, And I was a little worried because you know, Fallon gets name dropped early and so then you worry like and I would not begrudge you made it, and so I'm very happy that I find my way in later.
Speaker 1: I forgot to bring that up when I was on your show. Should you know that you were in the song?
Speaker 3: I did not know I was in the song when you were on. I knew I was in the song when I because I listened to the album after you were on, and I was very happy because when I heard fallon early.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh boy, oh shit, I wouldn't. But again, that was the right choice.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what's fun about that is starting with Jimmy and then going to Allen and landing in Jenna bush Haiger. Absolutely, and Jenna bush Haigger is a laugh line. And that's actually the culture number eighteen is a laugh line. I was actually one of my favorite people in culture.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna see her tomorrow. I really, yeah, perfect, I'll tell her how you guys say we love her. We're about to see her too, We're about to Are you.
Speaker 1: Really your house or yours? No? I mean, is she coming up? Gotcha? Gotcha? But I need you coming right before? Cecily Strong? Really I think strong Meredith.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was and you know who is really happy? Verizon Corporate.
Speaker 2: That was you get Verizon money if you're next to you, but one version between us, no pain.
Speaker 1: Well here's the thing, here's the people the curtain about that song. So I'm writing that part because I wanted to have Verizon And I said, you know what, I'm no, I'm said, I don't care what anyone thinks. Ann Curry is going in this song. I know Anne Curry is controversial, like in the all of it, but I was like, I don't care. This is my fight song, like Anne Curry. All respect to Anne Curry is the lyric, and that is true forever.
Speaker 2: Yeap love her, Love Anne, love Anne.
Speaker 1: And for the pod, and she'd be an incredible guest. She really would be.
Speaker 2: You think, yeah, okay, this is seth Myers's holiday themed. I don't think Soney as time starts now, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think so honey. Out of towners who visit the Rockefeller Christmas Tree, this is an office. It's a place, of course. Just listen to Matt's song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people work there.
Speaker 3: And I get it, But I think you all come from places where there are a lot of trees you go see. Is it just that there's one tree amongst buildings. If you put one building amongst the forest, I wouldn't come and visit it. Also, you can look at the weather before you visit New York City, and sometimes I hate to say it, but due to climate change, it's not zero degrees. So don't wear your biggest coat because that's basically each person is two people and we don't have enough room in the concourse for that. Yeah, here's the biggest thing though, if you go to the tree lighting, I have so much respect for you to be there person when they light the thing up, just look at it.
Speaker 1: Just enjoy the moment.
Speaker 3: Because too many of you hold up your phones and you try to take a photo of the moment the lights go on. That's an impossible moment to take because you either get the moment before the lights are on or the moment the lights are on.
Speaker 1: And I just this is the thing. You're there, you fought through the crowds. Just watch it.
Speaker 3: Yes, live, but a merry Christmas doll, and I do appreciate you, actually dead right.
Speaker 1: And the thing about needing to document the tree lighting is they're actually they're grabbing that. They're grabbing it. They're actually grabbing it. There's professionals that are grabbing it for you. So you can actually have that moment documented. You don't need to be the one to do it. I promise you. There's actually a huge televisce special.
Speaker 3: Where they're getting it slipping around get you and your family, but with the tree in the background, no one's gonna say you shouldn't do that. But just that moment of trying to be that I was there when the light went on, so you can't take that photo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is that?
Speaker 2: How does that play into your own Christmas experience? I think everyone's fine just looking at the tree from Saxspith Avenue and then keeping it moving.
Speaker 1: We would come in from Long Island to see it, and even as a pre ironic like whenever when I was in like middle school, I was just like, look, like I get we're going into the city to see a show, Like I understand this culture, but the tree. I was like, I never got the tree. And I think that's where the song comes from. It's just like this is so silly, but.
Speaker 3: Like, well, your song is great because you respect it as a place of work that you were. You were singing a song about a holiday place. But what I like about the lyrics is you keep reminding people, yes, this is where people work.
Speaker 1: But it also encourages voyeurism and it encourages the encroachment of privacy. And I'm happy you're here, so I can apologize to you about that because I think you're really on the map. Because of my song, people are going to be on the hunt.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize, so I was speaking about nobody on the hunt. I like when you know BTS is a felon, there's so many people outside, right, Yeah, and talk about a ven diagram where it's two circles. Yeah, like I can walk and like nobody and again I walk out with a couple of scurity guys, So there you would be there's a moment where you're like, is it you know, like you you know, you see a guy.
Speaker 1: You say and nothing. Man.
Speaker 3: I found out at SNL after the fact that like there are people in my cast who at the end of the show would go to the basement to get cars.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know.
Speaker 2: You. And I'm starting to get when I walked out now not the biggest response anybody. And it's fine, It's actually it's a beautiful moment. I'm like, yeah, I'm not like wet behind or I'm not like thee that's.
Speaker 1: Literally not true. I think that you're probably just used to it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I think it's very used to me. And they're like, oh, there's the.
Speaker 1: Glamour of walking from those doors to the cars when it's like the thing of they recognize you. I never think that's ever gonna like happen for me. And then when I was at Bravo con Oh. I got out of a car at Bravocan and walked and it was people were screaming like I was beats he s. I was like why, because I've been on watch it appens. I have a handful of times and that is what are their chef's kiss the way they act.
Speaker 3: Lovely two thousand and one SNL. I feel like it was the end of an era. I feel like it was the last vestiges of sex in the city of New York before it shifted to the post nine to eleven. Yes, and the cars to the SNL after party were stretch limousines, like old school promise stretch limousines, and so you know, now I think it's all svs. And so it was such a trip when you I would have high school friends or college tens of the show and it was everything you wanted to be where you'd like get into.
Speaker 1: A limb wretch.
Speaker 2: Kyle Mooney would still get one every week before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was so talk about a Disney person. Oh Kyle, Kyle will suck it up at Disney. Oh, I got he goes with Franko.
Speaker 3: Lespie ran back and back they yeah, ye, back back and I were at Sarah Schneider Mike Carnell's wedding and it was in Virginia, and I went on my oh, and I got like a room that was it was like a two room villa each type. It's not a villain because it was like all colonial, but anyway, you'd walk in the front door, you go right and it was one hotel room and left in it was the other. And they were like each sweets. And I again it was a wedding where I was on my own and had a nice time. And then I went back. I was going to drive back the first thing in the morning and Beck had people do his room and it was the funniest thing. It was so loud and dumb. I kept me on, but it was Beck was doing the dumbest bits that were It was making me laugh so hard, usually because it was just I was like, he would be so devastated if he knew you heard.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'm it's like somebody rolled a bed with me in it into the middle of it.
Speaker 1: I hear.
Speaker 3: And he did write me the nicest note, because I think in the morning he slowly put it together.
Speaker 1: He was like, oh no, and it was really one of our biggest sweeties. Love love that guy, love that guy. Speaking of loving that guy, love this guy.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 3: This was this was everything I wanted to be. My favorite thing was when it started and Matt said I have a surprise for you and you literally heard a rustle and guessed it exactly exactly, really speaks to hell Insike, you too are.
Speaker 1: Oh listen, I have a psychic connection to him. And honestly it's really we have Emily to thank because when she gave me this for you, I was like, I should have And then I got a friend good because I was like, why didn't I know? And I got an elevator today to go down from my apartment to come here, and I had forgotten them, and I said, let me go back. I was like, I have to get this to my girl.
Speaker 2: And still you got here before I did. Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Don't feel It's.
Speaker 3: Such an honor and a pleasure to be here with you, guys. This is just the best show. You guys are so good. You're still good at many things, but you are the two of you together do this. Has been just so happy to be here in person.
Speaker 1: This is the best and the God in person and it's caught on film. Yeah, and give it up for the crew. They've been so great. Did you guys enjoy yourself today? All right, there we go? Yes, yes, this is incredible. You got to watch Late Night with Teth Myers. You probably already are because we have such a cool audience with a great sense of humor. You guys, you might have to come on our podcast one day. Oh yeah, yeah. We have trip stories for sure. Between stories. You know, there was We've told the story many times. But Bowen almost threw up on a plane and I got mad at him.
Speaker 2: He got mad at me for being for feeling nausea on a plane.
Speaker 1: Well we'll talk about that. We end every episode with the song why is this one in my head? Good Tuesdays? Becauselton John?
Speaker 3: But that's not but I feel like psychically it is Elton John, but famously not famous.
Speaker 1: Psychically it's actually look culture number eight. Psychically, yes, famously not Bye bye