Speaker 1: As media. Hello and welcome to It could happen here today. We are talking about white genocide. And when I think of genocide, there is only one name that comes to mind, and it's Molly Congo.
Speaker 2: Molly, welcome.
Speaker 1: I just I wanted you to be here as we talked about the genocide of the white race.
Speaker 3: I mean, who better to talk about it than two pasty fellows like us.
Speaker 1: M hmm, yeah, yeah, I'm sure we're like soon for the shopping block here.
Speaker 2: Molly, what what's happening? Why? Why are we? Why are we?
Speaker 1: Well, I will explain a little bit of what's happening, and then you can tell me how on earth we got here. The United States terminated its refugee admissions program in January of this year, right when Donald Trump became the president and signed a ton of executive orders. So since then, the United States has not admitted any refugees. In February, it also stopped, you know, States terminated its cooperative agreement with refugee resettlement agencies, which meant that even refugees who had arrived weren't getting the assistance that they previously got. However, on the twelfth of May, the United States have admitted fifty nine Africana refugees from South Africa, and concurrently, Donald Trump told the press that what's happening was a genocide of the white people. He said it wasn't because they were white. He said there was black people, he would do the same thing. I mean, there are several genocides impacting black people right now, and they are not getting refuge emissions to the United States. Apparently these people are being genocided. So, Molly, can you explain what's going on here? How the white genocide happened?
Speaker 3: Sure, I mean, the short answer to that question is it is not happening. It is not real. It is not a thing that is happening, or in my opinion, really could meaningfully happen under the conditions that they're talking about. So again, like you said, they have terminated all refugee resettlement programs. So people coming from active war zones, active ongoing genocides, people fleeing political persecution all over the world. They don't deserve our help. They don't need our help anymore. Right, But these people, these people from South Africa, are uniquely experiencing the worst thing that can happen to a person. I guess which is white genocide. So white genocide I think is often sort of used interchangeably with great replacement theory. So the white genocide conspiracy theory and the great replacement theory, I think they're hand in hand. They're very similar, there's a lot of overlap, and they're used interchangeably, but white genocide is much more specific and it's more recent iteration on the theme. It comes from a mid nineties book written in prison by a new Nazi terrorist named David Lane. David Lane notably coined the fourteen words we you know, the fourteen we don't need to say. He had a lot of anxiety that if we don't do something, white people will become extinct, will be pushed out of existence by immigrants who are out breeding us. You know, there's this sort of concurrent belief that pornography, which is, you know, in their minds, something that is a Jewish tool of oppression of the white race. That is, you know, it's causing us to do interbreeding, it's deluding our bloodlines. So you know, all of these things together are going to push white people out of existence, which again not happening, not true, not a real thing that can happen, but it's something they're very anxious about. But when you spend a lot of time talking about how white people are being pushed out of existence, you've got to be able to point to something. You have to point to a place where a white person has been meaningfully harmed, and they can't really do that. So the talking point that they fall back on most often when you're talking about white genocide, you know, you're really wringing your hands about this, and you have to be able to point to something. They point to the South African farm murders is this idea that white farmers in South Africa are being targeted for murder and mass that is this massive ongoing campaign of violence, which again is not happening and is not true. There is a more violent crime in the country of South Africa than in other similarly positioned nations. They do have a little bit more violent crime than we do here, for instance, But if you break down the numbers, and they have they have conducted a multi year study of this, you know, hypothetical phenomenon. White farmers are not being targeted for murder. They're not being murdered in larger numbers than any other demographic. It's just not a thing that's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, it's almost like a laughable claim or like except that it's also terribly sad when like Israel, it's just kind of Babe ruthing a genocide in Gaza. Now they're not even trying to pretend anymore. They're like, no, we're going to kill everyone by starving them. That's what we would like to do. And obviously there's people cannot enter the United States, it's refugees, but these folks from South Africa can How did it go from any Nazi in prison to the brain of the President of the United States.
Speaker 3: I mean that idea sort of filtered into American right wing think space over the last I guess thirty years since Laine wrote that manifesto from prison, slowly and through multiple origin points. But I have argued repeatedly over the last several months that we can point to exactly the moment that Donald Trump heard about this. There is a specific moment in time in August of twenty eighteen when Donald Trump first found out about the plight of the white South African and I have the date somewhere in my notes, but it was it was one evening in August of twenty eighteen when he was watching Tucker Carlson Shocking. He was watching an episode of Tucker's show back when it was still on TV, and he had some policy analysts from the Heritage Foundation on to talk about this terrible thing that's happening. And about forty five minutes after that segment aired, Donald Trump tweeted the word Africa for the first time. He has tweeted thousands and thousands and thousands of times about a lot about Robert Pattinson's relationship with Kristen Stewart. You know, things about diet coke, things about vaccines. He tweeted a lot of things, but he tweeted about Africa for the first time forty five minutes after the segment on Tucker Carlson. And he had bought into this idea that these people are being uniquely persecuted.
Speaker 1: God. Yeah, Carlson has mainstreamed a lot of these like white nationalists talking points, but yeah, this one. And you have a really good series on this on your show, right, Like, if people want to people want to learn more about the plight of the Africana, you can explain that over several hours.
Speaker 3: Yes, I spent three months sort of tracing this story in hainstaking detail. If you're interested in checking that out over on Weird Little Guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you should. It's great.
Speaker 1: It's great, good podcast. I highly recommend. So, like, we've seen this thing gradually gained momentum, I guess. And then at some point, obviously someone got into Trump's here in the last month and he made an executive order.
Speaker 2: Right, he shared the secretly order.
Speaker 1: I'm going to read from it now, quote refugee resettlement and other humanitarian considerations. The Secretary of State and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall take appropriate steps consistent with law to prioritize Yeah. Law, we're going to get to that, to prioritize humanitarian relief, including a mission and resettlement through the United States Refugee Admissions Program for Africanas in South Africa who are victims of unjust racial discrimination. Such a plan shall be submitted to the President through the Assistant to the President and Homeland Security Advisor.
Speaker 2: So, like he's asking them to develop a plan.
Speaker 1: Basically for resettling these white South Africans in the United States, right.
Speaker 3: Right, So when he says that it's not about race. Now when he's pushed on that now and he says, oh, it's not about race. It's not because they're white. They weren't Africanners years in the executive order. And that doesn't just mean South. That's not a gemographic term for people from South Africa.
Speaker 1: It is a.
Speaker 3: Racial term for the descendants of Dutch settlers. Those people are white.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, like by definition, right, they are white South Africans. They are like therefore definitionly the group that benefited from the aparthe idea very much so. As if this wasn't clear enough, Christopher Landau appeared at a press conference meeting these refugees wearing an orange white and blue tie. It's quite a unique tie. I actually googled orange white and blue tie. Can find one for people who are not familiar. That is the part idea of flag of the Republic of South Africa.
Speaker 3: That is a deep cut. The decision to use that particular color scheme when you're greeting these bore refugees is very intentional and very odd.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got to be a choice, right, Like, no one has a striped orange white and navy blue tie like lying around.
Speaker 3: And the sort of dedication to reviving that as a symbol is not without precedent. So with Dylan Roof, the Charleston church murderer had on patches, he had the flag of Rhodesia. Obviously they love Rhodesia. Yeah, but he had the apartheid era orange, white and blue South African flag m M. And that was strange and unique enough as a symbol that an American would dig up and identify with. Yes, So the South African press noted it at the time of the Charleston church shooting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was not in the mainstream.
Speaker 3: That is a troubling sartorial choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it is worrying, Like, like you say, there's a line from the from the Africanas through Dylan Roof too.
Speaker 2: It's horrific ideology.
Speaker 1: Right. Do you know what what probably doesn't have a direct line to a part We can't be sure of that, I guess, but hopefully hopefully that these products and services do not have a direct through line from apartheid.
Speaker 3: Well, probably it's not the Washington State Patrol again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we're back. Hopefully that was something nice. I want to talk a little bit about the US Refugee of Missions program. So I think people sometimes misunderstand the program, what it means, where it comes from, who it's for. So to begin with, like, I want to distinguish between asylum seekers and refugees because I think in like the popular lexicon, these two words are used interchangeably. A refugee is outside of the United States and makes an application through the US Refugee of Missions program, and that application is processed and approved or rejected or delayed or you know, left for years and years and years while they are outside the United States. An asylum seeker is someone who is either inside the United States or presenting at the border of the United States and requesting the asylum.
Speaker 2: So they're different categories.
Speaker 1: Right. Generally, to be a refugee, one has to register with the United Nations High Commission on Refugees, and thus one has to have fled one's home country. It's somewhat notable that this flight came from Johannesburg, right, Like these people were in South Africa.
Speaker 3: Well, the apparently DHS set up office space in Pretoria, and they were conducted these interviews in Pretoria.
Speaker 1: Right, which again is unusual. Right, So you have to normally go to a resettlement support center, right, And I want to talk about the process of background checks in a minute, because surprise surprises didn't happen here, at least not as far as I'm aware. If it did, it to the most expedited version of this process that we've ever seen. So these refugees have been admitted as P one refugees, and people talk about P one like it's a visa category.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 1: Actually, it's a priority category. There are four priority categories for people getting refugee visas. P one cases, the highest priority are normally referred by embassies, the United Nations High Commision on Refugees, or non governmental organizations. If people have heard of this at all, it's probably with reference to Afghan folks who worked with the United States who are not being omitted in the United States refugee emission program right now. Some of them are stuck in third countries, even at airports if they don't have a visa for that third country, right, waiting to work out like what the US is going to do this time after lying to them for decades and letting them down again.
Speaker 3: And unlike these real estate agents from Johannesburg, they can't just go back home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, like that they actually have fear of persecution if they do, which is not the case for you South African folks. P two are people like there are special groups designated for humanitarian concern like some congut these people living in Rwanda in the past, and Permese groups living in Thailand have been P two three are family reunification cases, so you can you know, if one person has refugee stats to come to the United States so they can bring the rest of their family. And then P four are people who have sponsors to something called the Welcome Core. Familiar with a Welcome Core, Molly, I am not, no. It sounds like the coolest brand to the military, you know, like like you got the Marines and then the Welcome Core next door. The Welcome Call was set up in twenty twenty three by the Biden administration to allow five US citizens I think a minimum of five to get together to sponsor someone for refugee admission for the United States and basically take responsibility for their housing and for like reorienting them in the US community, right, getting their kids enrolled in school, helping them find a job, all that kind of stuff. It was a cool program. It lasted less than two years. That Donald Trump rolled that up in January of twenty twenty five, so we don't really have P four cases anymore. So all admissions were holding in January and February, the government, as I said, cut all cooperative agreements with resettlement agencies. So let's talk about what the normal process looks like for refugees. Generally, they require several years of background checks and interviews. For many, it's not possible in their countries for most right, for instance, there is not a resettlement support center in Afghanistan, so people have to leave. That's how you see them in Pakistan right. What you're seeing now actually is Afghan people who are in Pakistan have timed out on their visas in Pakistan, so they're now facing immigration enforcement there because they haven't been able to get resettled in the US before their Pakistan visa expires. They go through medical and biometric checks. There are at least two interviews. There are security checks. When they do their first interview, they have to give in things like their identifying documents, work history, declare on their family relationships, all that kind of stuff. Then they have an interview with US Citizenship and Immigration services after that. Then if they are admitted, they take cultural orientation classes before traveling. If that's when you learn how to be an American. Right, I don't know what involves, but they have to take those before they come. And then the US government works with the iom for travel right, and that travel is funded through a zero interest loan to the refugee. So like in every other case, you pay for your flight, you have to pay it back starting six months when you get to the United States.
Speaker 2: That has not been.
Speaker 1: The case for our Africana refugee friends, right that it appears that the United States government chartered a flight on their behalf. Once the refugees arrive, they are referred to a resettlement agency. Some of the names people might be familiar with are like Highest their Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, who have literally been resettling refugees since the refugee in asylum seeker category was created, right as a response to the Holocaust. Maybe IRC is another one people are familiar with.
Speaker 3: Which, interestingly, HIAS was the target of ire of a great replacement theory motivated mass shooter here in America. Yes, Babert Robert Bauers posted a lot about HYAS in the days and weeks before he carried out that mass shooting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Tree of Life Synagogue, right, people aren't familiar. Yeah, And that was at the time of the quote unquote migrant caravan fall of twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Would it, Yes, that would be that time period.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a pretty big time. I was in Tijuana a lot at that time with seeing the migrant caravan folks for interviewing folks trying to help. Yeah, coming back to that was I remember thinking, like, what a fucked up world. So those people didn't get refuge emissions, right, those people were here seeking asylum. The system right now is suspended, right, and as many as twelve thousand people who have been approved are waiting for travel authorization come to the United States.
Speaker 2: So they're completely in limbo.
Speaker 3: Right, You're in limbo and at great personal risk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're in I mean, people spend twenty years in refugee camps waiting to be admitted to the United States. And like, it's hard for me to describe I tried to in my Darian Gap series, Right, how desperately sad refugee camps are as places, right, And I think people think of refugee camps as like, oh, you go there for a few weeks and you sleep under a big white ten.
Speaker 3: No children are born and raised there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: People live their whole lives in refugee camps, you know, they're the ones that they tied Bermesport. Have been there since the nineteen forties. But they live their whole lives often without even basic essential services. Right. I did see, for instance, highest had a little school in LaaS Blancas, which is one of these un refugee camps in Panama. The reason they have a little school is because children spend so long there that they miss out on their education if they don't have a little school for them.
Speaker 3: And so that's just like insult to injury in this whole process, right. It's not only is he shutting off this avenue for refugee status for everyone else and giving it to these people who, you know, I think it's fair to say don't deserve it. Yeah, but he's made this process so simple and so easy and so painless, and that not only are they not fleeing persecution, but they're getting this fast tracked, this easy pass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like we're paying for it. I mean I remember recently some friends and I were helping someone who'd be admitted to the US not as a refuge actually on a different visa category. But like they were really having a hard time navigating the basics and funding that, so like we were able to help them out.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously, international immigration is a difficult process. It wouldn't be easy. I mean you and you've immigrated internationally, right, It's not a simple process. No, But looking at the people who have taken Trump up on this offer of refugee resettlement, these appeared to be people who could have simply immigrated had they chosen to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems that way. They could have just moved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could have I mean come here on like a B one visa or like, I mean, pathways to citizenship relatively rare if you just, like, say you want to move to the US, right, like you just want to become an American unless you have a bunch of money. So, like these guys will have a pathway citizenship. It's not quite clear how Trump said that they will have one. What does that mean? I know, normally, if you're admitted as a refugee, you can file for permanent residency in a year, and then after a number of years you can file to be a citizen.
Speaker 3: I just noticed as we're talking, so, you know, I'm not familiar with how the process normally works. Like that's that's your wheelhouse. That's something you're very familiar with, so maybe this is normal. It just looks strange to me. So I've been on vacation the last week, so I'm just back today. So I just opened up the Embassy's website because you know, as I was writing this story and sort of tracking this as it developed, there wasn't good guidance from the Consulate on what this process would look like. So I'm just looking at it again today and they have updated it as of yesterday. This is the US Embassy and Consulate in South Africa. New update yesterday. There is a form you can fill out, James. It's a Google doc. It is a Google form. The US Embassy website has a linked to Google form that you can fill out if you want to become great.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that's highly secure. Yeah, ah wow, Well it's funny. I was on that web site earlier today as well. That is oh dear, that is sad. I mean, yeah, I don't think a Google dot can possibly be as secure as it would need to be to have the amount of information the government gets on you when you become a refugee. Is all the information right? Just to outline the criteria. To be eligible for US resettlement consideration, individuals must meet the following criteria. They must be of South African nationality and must be of African ethnicity or be a member of a racial minority in South Africa.
Speaker 3: I thought it wasn't about race, Yeah, I thought. I thought it wasn't about race.
Speaker 2: Games Yeah, right, it seems.
Speaker 1: And then they must be able to articulate a past experience of persecution or fear of future persecution. What they don't mention here is that, like normally, there are protected categories into which refugees and asylum seekers have to fit. Right, there's a race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion. I mean, I guess, I guess you could argue that like the Africanas are not per se a race, right, like like there are there could be It's conceivable that one could be white kind of South African nationality but not be African.
Speaker 3: Oh very much, so, very much so. I mean, there's a African is a very specific sort of genealogical lineage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like, which is which.
Speaker 3: Is why I think they have been careful here to say or a member of a racial minority, because they're saying, like, look, we're not going to do the genealogy. We don't we don't care if your great grandfather was Dutch. We just need you to be white. We just need you to be white.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you arrive, you can do a twenty three and meter test and then they do your percentage and you know, then they put you back on the plane.
Speaker 3: No, they just got the pantone color scale. They're just going to hold up huge colored paint hip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they get you at what's it called fucking the paint shop there where you go in and they mix it for you. So yeah, they don't mention these protected categories here. The US State Department a set has received eight thousand inquiries from people seeking information about the refue program. That's a lot of people. That is a large number of people. The Episcopal Church here in the United States, right, not like a notably woke organization, I would say Episcopal. I mean they do Episcopal migration ministries do good work. You won't find me shaped talking that they do good things for people who need help. It has ended its partnership with the United States government. So I'm going to read a little bit here from Presiding Bishop Sean wrote first time for me, quoting a bishop on the podcast. Since January, the previously bipart in the US refuge ad missions program in which we participate has a central shut down. Virtually no new refugees have arrived, Hundreds of staff and resettlement agencies around the country have been laid off, and funding for resettling refugees who have already arrived has been uncertain. Then, just over two weeks ago, the federal government informed episcical migration ministries that under the terms of our federal grant, we are expected to resettle white Africanas from South Africa, whom the US government has classified as refugees. In light of our church's steadfast commitment to racial justice and reconciliation and our historic ties was the Anglican Church of South Africa, we're not able to take this step. Accordingly, we have determined that by the end of the federal fiscal year, we will conclude our refugee resettlement grand agreements with the US Federal government skipping a bit. Then, it has been painful to watch one group of refugees, selected in a highly unusual manner, received preferential treatment over many others who have been waiting in refugee camps or dangerous conditions for years. I am saddened and ashamed that many of the refugees who are being denied entrance to the United States are brave people who worked alongside our military in Iraq and Afghanistan and now face danger at home because it has service to our country. They also grieve that victims of religious persecution, including Christians, have not been granted refuge in recent months.
Speaker 3: Good for them, honestly, Yeah, like because I think, I mean think maybe people don't think about this or don't realize that a lot of these programs like this is a federally grant funded federal program through a partnership with the Episcopal Church. Like you know, in the early days of DOSEE, you know, they were saying, like, oh, we found all this wasteful spending, all this you know, suspicious payments to these religious organizations. Those are social programs we have outsourced. We have outsourced all of these government functions to these church based social programs. You know, for better or worse. Say about that what you will, but that is in fact, how many of these things function.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like when I think about like you know, I've spent a decent amount of time in refugee camps. The majority of the services there are provided by faith paid programs. Highest there's Bethtal World Ministries. I think it's called Catholic Charity, Piscopalian migration ministries. There's caulca Aid, the SEK Group, right, I don't think they receive any federal Maybe I don't think they receive federal funding.
Speaker 3: But I think for the Episcopal Church as a massive organization to come out and say, yeah, we won't dirty our hands with this, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: No, it's great, and like more organizations should. I think they're being resettled in Virginia for the most part.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: That's where I live.
Speaker 2: James, Oh good, yeah, great. Well you know you could take one in money.
Speaker 1: You could have a little African to come live with you like a god.
Speaker 3: So Charlottesville where I live.
Speaker 2: Oh, you'll get some.
Speaker 3: It's home to a large number of Afghan refugee families. It's like I know people who work with our new Afghan neighbors, and like helping them get settled in our community, and helping women get driver's license and get them sewing machines so they can sew their traditional garments at home, and like it's a beautiful community effort to welcome these people into our town. But I just can't I just can't imagine the worst people on Earth coming here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you can help with sewing machine, right, you can help us sow up a little little pre pre Rainbow Nation South Africa flag for them. But yeah, it is like I've helped people arriving here on refugee visas, and like it's actually a really really affirming and wonderful thing to do in your community. And like now it's a time when you can still do that. All the people who were resettled here before January. The funding that was supposed to help their kids enroll in school, that were supposed.
Speaker 2: To help especially women learn to drive, right, that were.
Speaker 1: Supposed to help people orient themselves in the US, find education, find work right. As a person who moved to America, it is a very confusing place. You have like seventy five different layers of government, none of them really want to help you that says a lot of forms to fill in. The rent is insane, right, and then you add people drive like fucking maniacs, so like.
Speaker 3: And we don't have healthcarerier James, I'm sure that was a culture shock for you. But like so when I was poking around in some of these Facebook groups for these for the South Africans who are sort of interested in maybe seeking this opportunity, and they were talking about sort of the pros and cons and whether they would go, and how the pole process was going to work. And the one fear that I saw come up over and over again is like, well I heard the healthcare is pretty bad.
Speaker 1: There is, yeah, dude, it is, damn yeah, damn yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In some states, right, there are state funded like safety net programs. I don't know about Virginia.
Speaker 3: Well I'm sure. I'm sure as America's special and only refugees, they will be afforded access to all available programs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll put them on trycare after we've kicked the transfolks off. That's how they're making up for the gap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty bleak.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I would really encourage folks, like, if you are listening to this and thinking, Oh, it fucking sucks that those people have not been granted refugee status. I'm thinking of like, I met a woman from Zimbabwe when I was in Dari and Gap who had come with her daughter. Right, she had face persecution at home in Zimbabwe, a country that is not Rhodesia anymore. We're keeping score in.
Speaker 3: The country that was never Rhodesia. Rhodesia never existed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Yeah, she went to South Africa right to attempt to be safe, and persecution followed her that. So then she took this journey all across the America's carrying her kid through the through the jungles and over the mountains and through the rivers. And that's where I met them, and we've stayed in touch.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: She's in the United States now, she's working on her asylum process and it is expensive and it is by no means secure. And this is like a woman who has faced who fits multiple categories, right, and they've protected they've protected categories here. Right, It's going to be very hard and very expensive for her. And it really genuinely fucking breaks my heart to see someone who like would be such an asset to any community who was such a ray of light, even in some of the hardest places I've ever been. She might not get to stay here and these folks will and that really makes me sad. But yeah, if you have a chance in your community. Like almost the way I sometimes find out about refugees arriving or being settled is like on next door and realist next door is mostly a site for aging racist but like sometimes people will be like, hey, there's an Afghan family here and they don't Like one of the things in California is that you can rent a house and they don't have to give you a fridge. Yeah, a fridge is like a luxury, it's not it's not for the pause. So like trying to help people find a fridge before Ramadan, right, Like I have a truck, a bigger guy. I can lift a fridge into the back of my truck. If someone has a fridge they don't want, so, like that's the thing I can do to help, and it makes me happy to do that. Then, like I can carry a fridge upstairs, Like that's not something you can do. There are a million other things you can do, right, including just like having people over for dinner, cooking food for them, offering to take them out on a walk and show them your neighborhood. Like there are so many ways that you can welcome people, and like people aren't newly arriving, there are people who are still recently arrived who really could do with some help. The government isn't paying for any more. We can't stop the government paying for flights for Africanas. But like, you can do something, You can do something positive and will maybe make you feel better about the fact that you know, your taxpayer dollars are bringing the the poor, downtrodden Africanas from from South Africa to neighborhoods named Molly.
Speaker 3: And it's just such an ugly intersection, right, this is not just like our adult brained president falling victim to a racist conspiracy three that he saw on Tucker Carlson, right, like that that's how the idea got into his mind. But I think this resurgence of his alleged interest in the plight of the white South African is this terrible intersection of personal grievance and financial interest, right that. You know, it's no coincidence that the text of the executive order, it's not just about like you know, whites are being persecuted. But there is a hot shot on the side in the first section of the executive Order that, like well and South Africa has been very unfair to Israel, right that South Africa being a leading voice in the international community on the genocide in Gaza is part of this. That the inded they need to be punished for their advocacy against the genocide when their ambassador was expelled. It was not a coincidence that he is a Muslim South African who has been very vocal about the genocide in Gaza, and that he appears in public in a kufia that he's when he was when he returned to South Africa after being expelled from the United States. He was talking about Palestine when he got home, and that's not a coincidence. And it's also not a coincidence that Elon Musk is currently fighting to launch Starlink in South Africa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is sort.
Speaker 3: Of a longer explanation which just sort of in brief. Since apartheid ended in nineteen ninety four, they have racial equality laws that if you have a national level company something like starlink, some that you're going to provide a national a telecommunications contract that serves the whole country. There has to be some black ownership of the country. They're not saying that there can be no white executives. They're not saying, you know, white people aren't allowed to do business, but there has to be some black ownership stake in the company. And large corporations around the world manage this by establishing a local subsidiary that is owned locally by a majority of black shareholders. Microsoft does it, like every big company does it. Companies operate in South Africa. Yeah, international corporations operate in South Africa, and they do it every day and they do it easily. But Elon Musk refuses to do that. He refuses to have any black ownership steak in his company or a local subsidiary. So he's not allowed to have Starlink there. And so over the last couple of months he's been, you know, walking out of meetings, he's been you know, yelling at the President of South Africa about how he's racist against white people and so like, this is personal, it's financial, and it is a racist conspiracy theory and now we're all having to live it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also not a comingcidence. So like Musk has started interacting with some of these like white farmer accounts on his racism map, right like that. I think that one. I think it's maybe its screen name is just boar or Oh yes.
Speaker 3: A South African news site recently unmasked that particular individual.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't read the article yet. Like I said, I've been on vacation, but they're they're on the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, good.
Speaker 3: And I think about these, you know, wide identity South African nationalist kinds of guys. Is Apartheid wasn't that long ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Thirty years ago? Right, So anybody fifty year older who's talking a lot about wide identity in South Africa, I would just like to ask you, what were you doing in nineteen ninety? Yeah, just tell me who you were hanging out with in nineteen ninety because I have questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I remember the end of apartheid very like that's one of my earlier like political memories. I remember, like Nelson Mandela coming out at the Rugby World Cup in ninety ninety five, like that being a big people like I guess maybe our listeners, a lot of our listeners are younger than me. But like, South Africa was something of a pariah state under apartheid, right, Like they couldn't wouldn't even play sports with them. They didn't even go to the IOC Olympic Games. And the IOC not not an anti racist organization organization which famously sent the Olympic Games to Adolf Hitler's Germany. But yeah, they were a complete global pariah. And to have gone from that to like the US has to intervene in the plight of the persecuted African within my lifetime, it's pretty fucking bleak.
Speaker 3: It is a quick turnaround and an ugly one. But like I said, the average white South African who is very vocal about white rights may have a very close connection to a very recent act of terrorism, if you know what I'm saying. Yeah, they're not just talk. It was very violent in the early nineties.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, Molly's done some good stuff on the yeah, and on the violence of white South Africans. And I guess, yeah, what folks in the US who are inspired by them? Molly did, do you have anything you want to you want to plug? Otherwords, way, I guess you want to plug.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm keeping an eye on their treeson Case against Affro Forum. I think, I mean, it's just political talk, but it's fun.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 3: Apparently the investigation is ongoing, but no. If you are interested in more about how this happened, I did an eight part series about political violence at the end of apartheid and its connections to American neo Nazis. You can check that out on Weird Little Guys. It's a good time. I think there's a really fun episode about a Dulf Lundgren movie from the late eighties that was secretly funded by South African military intelligence. Yeah, it's a good time and uh, we live in hell.
Speaker 4: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.