Speaker 1: This is the Steelers Preview show on WDVE Pittsburgh, presented by Unibet. The only thing better than a Steelers win is a Steelers win that pays double down on your team. With Unibet, proud partner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, here are your hosts, Mike Persuda, Matt Williamson and Merril Hodge.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Welcome to another Thursday United edition a Steelers preview right here on your Steelers flagship one of two point five DVE and SNR. Mike Persuda and Matt Williamson with you. Merril Hodge will be along directly as we get you ready for the Steelers at the Indianapolis Colts a Saturday kickoff this week, but that doesn't affect our Thursday night Nope, kickoff time and Matt, I guess as appropriate a spot to begin tonight as any is the old NFL constant that sometimes it's not who you play, but when you play them. And for the Steelers seven and six, getting ready to play the Colts.
Speaker 3: Seven and six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Steelers are coming off losses to the two win Arizona Cardinals and the two win New England Patriots in a span of.
Speaker 3: Five days last week.
Speaker 2: But the news all good coming out of the South Side this week in terms of who is going to be available lot. Yeah, last night the Steelers find out that TJ. Watt had cleared the concussion protocol and this afternoon it was announced that Alex Highsmith has done the same. So can you Pikett is out, of course, recovering from Michael surgery. Isaac Sayamalu questionable. He hasn't practiced all week, but Matt. They've got their tag team edge rushers ready to go after Gardner Minshew.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter who the opponent is or what week it is. That's obviously huge. It's one of the great strengths of the Steelers team. Everyone knows how good Watt is and Heismith's having a great year as well. But I think it's interesting who the opponent is. I'm two young tackles are they're lining up against. It's the second year guy, Bernard Raymond on the left side. There's been okay this year, but really had a rough week last week against the Bengals. Hendrickson a lot of times because they were leaving him alone because they had to help the right tackle. Rookie named Breake Friedland out of BYU, who's a tall, leaner guy. That's a work in progress. I don't think they counted on him playing this year. So he's gonna need help, as all right tackles do, but he's gonna especially need help with Watt. So those are great matchups for the Steelers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Branden Smith is the right tackle who's injured. He didn't play against the Bengals last Sunday after being injured the week before against Tennessee. And also no Jonathan Taylor for the Colts. And yeah, I respect Zach Moss as a runner, but Jonathan Taylor is an elite runner.
Speaker 4: You know, he's a dynamic, big play you know he are.
Speaker 3: He was ruled out by the Colts today.
Speaker 2: So you know, if you were worried about a tag team running attack, well now it's just Zach Moss and whoever else the Colts care to give the ball to. They did get a little bit of good news, the Colts did. Their head coach Shane Steichen said that said today he expects cornerback Jude jew Brents will be available. He has not played since Week seven, and that's a pretty significant piece to a cold secondary that's really young on the corners and really experienced its safety position.
Speaker 4: And Brent's is really young. I mean he's a second round pick this year six to three. He was for me to follow draft. He was Julius. Brent switched his name to Juju Kansas Guy, Kansas Kansas State, Kansas, Kansas State, Yeah, Kansas State. Okay, big Kansas state. Yeah, yeah, middle of the country somewhere. But he's in experience. They're a big Cover three team. They are a big Seahawks legion of Boom type. So he'll play off the ball and play that third. You can test him.
Speaker 2: Jalen Jones seventh round rookie out of Texas A and m Is the other corner.
Speaker 4: So two rookie.
Speaker 2: I got a pretty experienced nickel guy and Kenny Moore the second.
Speaker 4: But I like more.
Speaker 2: I think, you know for the Steelers that it can't be stated often enough, the TJ. Watt factor just in terms of having a chance to win. When this guy's in the lineup, they have a pretty good chance to win. And when they don't, well, here's here's some numbers according to our buddies at NFL Research.
Speaker 4: And it's mind boggling. How strong these are?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty six sixteen and one with what, and they allow nineteen point six points a game, one.
Speaker 3: And nine without what?
Speaker 4: Nine and they allow.
Speaker 2: Twenty six point six points a game. And if you just want to throw a little more icing on top of that cake, with what, Steelers averaging three point three sacks a game without them one point four?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, yards for play everything you look at.
Speaker 2: It's obscratching my head to recall edge rusher that had this kind of overall impact.
Speaker 4: I bet there isn't one in Steeler history. I mean even Miles Garrett, Michael Parsons, Bosa, all those guys. I doubt their splits are that drastic with them on and off the field. It's really something.
Speaker 2: NFL research that that thirty six sixteen and one figure that's with what in the lineup. Since twenty now, there have been a handful of games where he started but didn't finish the point where it didn't play a ton of snaps like he usually does.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's included, but probably is.
Speaker 4: Like even last year when he came back from injury, I wanted to say it was against Indy even I didn't think he was himself.
Speaker 3: I think it's right.
Speaker 2: If you look at there's a line of demarcation seventy five percent of the defensive snaps or eighty you know, something approaching what he normally plays.
Speaker 3: I bet the numbers are even more.
Speaker 4: I bet they're even more drastic, one hundred percent because there was a couple of games, or he wasn't a dominant player yet, you know, coming back from injury, or he left it halfway through the game, or he has had sometimes a miss time. Of course, now that's gigantic, and you know it's an under reported story. But last week when they lost High Smith, it was the one time they didn't have Golden healthy either or he was healthy, he was scratched because they were shuffling so many linebackers.
Speaker 3: In yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Needed so many guys an inside linebacker and they needed those guys to contribute on special teams and Marcus Golden doesn't do that. But really, I think part of the story last week too, since you went there, you know, they started out a Landon Roberts wasn't playing every defensive snap, and he wasn't playing in the dime. Michael Walker was playing in the dime, and by the second half, that stuff was kind of out the window. You didn't see a lot of Blake Martinez, you didn't see Mark Robinson. You saw Landon Roberts playing all three.
Speaker 4: Where would you be without him at this point? I mean, one of the best additions to the team, especially with the way the dominance fell and what they need out of the guy. Like when they signed him, I thought he was gonna be a two down run and plugger, you know, part time player, attitude guy, special teamer. But boy, I mean, good thing he's around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did not get a designation today. He went from did not practice on Tuesday to limited Wednesday to a full participant today. No question, will know nothing. He appears good to go, and yeah, I'm with you. This season would already be in the tank if they didn't have him, because you think about losing Cole Holcombe and then you think about losing Kwan Alexander and these are your loan the inside linebacker in the six defensive backs time guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the guy they've.
Speaker 2: Been looking for since Ryan Shazier got hurt and all of a sudden, the Landon Roberts, the guy has filled that role that they didn't expect so I guess with Roberts and Watt, it's gonna be Indiana's basketball country.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a layup at Lucas Oil Stadium for.
Speaker 4: Nothing to it, and it seems got all their problems solved. I'm sure. I do like the matchup overall, though, and I do think having nine days to prepare as opposed to a short week for the Colts, it could pay off, especially from an injury and staminas standpoint. So we'll see. I mean, it's a crucial game obviously.
Speaker 2: And of course the Steelers coming off of those consecutive losses to two win teams. They're also a team that has beaten Baltimore, so you know, go figure the Colts have beaten Baltimore, that would be their signature win. They also have a win over the Texans, who are seven and six, but the rest of them in the Indianapolis wins matt a couple over Tennessee.
Speaker 4: They had four game winning streak before last week.
Speaker 2: Beat Carolina, beat New England, beat Tampa Bay, and then just got undressed in the second half by the Bengals. They sure did last Sunday, so.
Speaker 4: I kind of feel like this is a success story for the Colts. I mean, if you think about it, they had like the fourth pick in the draft, they draft Richardson, the quarterback, rookie, head coach. You know, no one expected them to be in the playoff hunt, especially once the quarterback went down. No one, no one, no one. I feel like they're playing with house money. They're understanding themselves, they're gaining an identity, and then maybe you throw Richardson back in the mix next year and at a piece or two, and maybe you start really competing.
Speaker 2: Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank reminds you to sack hunger, get food, volunteer or donate at Pittsburgh Foodbank dot org. The Steelers, conversely, so much optimism at the start of the year and then they get whacked by San Francisco to start things off, and it's been a rollercoaster ride ever since. The Ravens win that mentioned was huge, beating Cleveland, getting themselves to seven and four somehow despite a bunch of injuries. Sure, and I think expectations were starting to build again. What do you think the impact has been to losing to two win Arizona and two win New England? Is that just Hey, it's the nfl Rtually you lose, you got to bounce back or is this something that is going to take some getting over even inside that locker room.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's why I think this game is so crucial. I mean, they're really fortunate to be where they are in the standings in the playoff picture because it could have been a lot worse. Or I think there's got to be a lot of regret that if you could have won one of those, you'd be sitting there with Cleveland right now at eight and five. And it's a totally different world. So we shall see. I mean, it's really going to test their metal, you know. I mean, is this a team that you can count on to bounce back? Generally they have been under Tomlin standalone game they've had the Colts number over the year, but I feel like it's a playoff game.
Speaker 3: Steelers Preview is brought to you by UNI bet.
Speaker 2: The only thing better than the Steelers win is the Steelers win that pace double down on your team with Unibutty, proud partner of the Pittsburgh Steelers. We're just getting warmed up tonight, so keep it here. When we come back, we will be joined by our Factor back, Merril Hodge and Meryl will take a deep dive into the Steelers and the Colts coming up on Saturday in Indianapolis with Matt Williamson. I'm Mike Persuda. This is Steelers Preview right here on your Steelers flagship one of two point five DVE and sn R.
Speaker 1: Back to the Steelers Preview show presented by Uni bet On DVE.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the preview Mike Pursuda and Matt Williamson getting ready for the Steelers in the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday in Indy time. Now to welcome the star of our show to the show. That would be our Factor back, Merril Hodge. Merril, how's it going tonight?
Speaker 5: Well, Mike delayed, so I'm not home, so it could be better, but I'm on the show with you babys that we're ready to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, if you're going to travel as much as you do, you're gonna run into some of these delays from time to time.
Speaker 5: There is no doubt. I tell people all the time, listen, go NonStop if you can. If you put a delay, if you put a connection there, one or two, one of them is going to be messed up and I'm living it right now.
Speaker 2: Well, uh, no offense, but better you than me. I just spent last weekend up in Foxborough watching the Army Navy game from Gillette Stadium, and I flew from Pittsburgh connected in Philly to Boston on the way up, and the same thing, same thing coming back, and everything fell into place like it never does. I guess that's because you know, my heart was in the right place going to the Army Navy game, So the powers that be, I guess made sure that I had smooth travels.
Speaker 3: But man, that was a good time. Have you ever been to one of those?
Speaker 5: I had not, listen, I've turned it down. I can't tell me. I just haven't been able to go. But I've always wanted to go to that game. Is I'm sure that was an experience.
Speaker 2: Put it I was about my eighth or ninth career one. Put it on your bucket list.
Speaker 5: It's uh, it.
Speaker 3: Is an unbelievable day. The game is the icing on the cake, but the whole day is special. Uh.
Speaker 2: Not that anybody who wants to find out about the Colts and Steelers cares too much about that. So uh, let's get to the heart of the matter, the sky is falling here in Pittsburgh. They lost to the two win Cardinals, they lost to the two win Patriots. Life as we know it is over. How is the team responding to this? I mean, we we've heard what players and coaches have had to say. But in that locker room and in each guy's heart of hearts, are they focused on next game? You know, forget the last one, win or lose on to the next one. Or do you think there's a hangover that they're going to have to cure before Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, Mike, I talked a little bit about it on the morning the DD Morning Show, and and I think this game will be a telling tell of what that locker room is about. Because I can't tell you exactly what the locker room is, I can tell you there's one of two things that are going on in that locker room. There is a certain sense of urgency and professionalism and commitment that you know, and you're disturbed that you've lost your to games and you're still in the thick of things and this game's vital or you quit. You know, it's like you know, there's there's no shot now, and you're gonna find out who those players are. Let's hope you Let's hope there's none of those guys that exist. But that can be the reality of where a player sits right now. For and for for me, this is from a coaching perspective, this is this is one of those great games of evaluation to find out really the character of your team and the character of your players. I think they have good people on that in that locker room for the most part, you know, so I expect them to respond in a positive manner. But you know, I'm not in that locker room, and I can't I can't speak two certainty that that is going to happen. I can just tell you those two things could be happening.
Speaker 6: In a locker room with and in a lot of locker rooms in situations like this, and those are one of the two outcomes that can come from from an overall mental and preparation aspect.
Speaker 2: I would think that circumstances got to help in terms of yeah, they had great chances at home to beat teams that came acrosser stadium with two wins, but it's not like there's one week left and now they need five things to happen to make the playoffs.
Speaker 3: There's still the sixth seed. They still have it right in front of them.
Speaker 2: You know, you go through the Colts on Saturday and then Bengals a week from Saturday, and all of a sudden, everything's back to where it was, you know, in terms of a positive out look before the Cardinals and Patriots game.
Speaker 5: Right completely a great Mike, And I do believe, like, if you give me, like, which one would I favor? I favor what you just said. I think that locker room, there's resiliency being built here and listen, as bad as has been and there's this is where you really require your team to look at itself and do a little bit of self reflection. What kind of changes need to be made? If we do this collectively, then we're going to be a much different team when we go into Indannapolis. And to still be in a position where we control our destiny, you know, is a thing that you may not have envisioned you would have a after lose those two games. So I think you're spot on. You know, you lose those two games, and as probably as depression demralizing as it is, you still have opportunity and you still have games ahead of you and you still can be where you you where you desire to be, and that is in the playoff race. When it's all done.
Speaker 2: Steeles is sticking with Mitch Trubisky at quarterback. I'm kind of glad they are. And Uh, I really took to heart what you had to say. Since we're plugging the DV morning show a second ago, let's do it again. Uh boy, if nothing else, he really competed in that Patriots game. And if they get that kind of want to and that kind of get after it, Uh, they're gonna be okay in Indy because, Uh, to the to the bitter end, I like everybody else, I wish he would have hit George Pickens on third and two, or failing that, I wish he would have hit Deontae Johnson on fourth and two. But uh, mister Whisky maybe one completion away from having a real rags to riches night against New England.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, I've been studying mister Whisky since he came out. I've been very very fair of what kind of quarterback he really is. And you know the one thing that I saw on that in that day when they were you cheer information and Rudolf and trying to get him on the field and chide you know already had I'm interception and what was called back? And I believe this was right after the second interception Pals, which was not his fault. I was just like, you know what this that is probably one of the hardest things to do in sports, to walk out in front of sixty seventy thousand people who don't want you on the field, are cheering for somebody else and chanting for somebody else, and to persevere through that and then play really actually pretty good based on all of the things that were going on. Just show me a lot about like who he is, the character that the kid has, and you know that that I mean, if there's ever somebody that you know, I just look at players and teams. You know, I don't get mostly attached to anything because especially if I'm on valuation aspect, you start doing that, you make a lot of better mistakes. But then I tell you what I'm pulling for him. I'm pulling for him to play well and give and be able to play his best. You know how many of her games he got to play before Kenny Pickett can come back, and I would love to see the light shine on him based on how he fought through that, the way he played and the way he can't play there, there's still you know, good football in Mitchisky, and I hope that they get get it out of him starting this Sunday Saturday.
Speaker 2: Goofy week with the Thursday night game against New England. The theory from Mike Tomlin and others is that more normal preparation will allow Trubisky to play better. Uh, Mike Tomlin thought he warmed up to it against the Patriots. He was playing better at the end of the game than he was at the start of the game, and Tomlin is expecting more improvement still in this Colts game. I would have to agree with that as well. We have seen this guy play some some good football for the Steelers, not consistently, but we've seen it in him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that this defense you know that he is going up against, You know that they're they're they're a mixed bag. They're they're they're an interesting They're an interesting watch because there's moments where you know it's the defense that you thought that they were going to have. You know that they've had the last couple of years, and they show flashes of that and then that then it disappears. I mean the the Bengals exposed them in the quick past game, in the screen game. I mean they they they stung them a lot in that environment, and they they're able to run the ball on them. They actually, you know, end up controlling the entire environment of the entire game based on how their offense played so well. Listen, they are on the custom of things too. You know, if they can't afford other loss, if they continue to win, there's hope for them. And so you know, you would could argue the playoffs have begun in a lot of scenarios. So it's an interesting match up from from just that side of the ball, you know, Watson, mister Buski and Han's ability to play and build off of that second half. I do think you're right by that. I do think that he continues to build in and has a good game and plays the way that Mitch has a capability of plan.
Speaker 2: Before we get into the Colts with a little more detail, you mentioned the past to Pat Fryarmuth that was intercepted, not Trubisky's fault. Now, the first one there was a past interference penalty, but it was committed by the corner who ended up intercepting the ball on the intended target, So I think the penalty resulted in the interception.
Speaker 3: What did you see on the throat of Friarmuth?
Speaker 5: Well, okay, this is where okay, but what is the There's three things that you look for a quarterback. You know, a good processor, he's accurate, and he has anticipation. Well, that throw right there is about anticipation. You got to trust your guy because you're throwing it to a void and that boid oftentimes as a defender over the top or underneath or both, and in that case it was both. And when Friarmuth made the plant to come inside, he has to commit to that. He can't backpedal because he stopped in his backpedal, which I've ever seen a route like that? Was the anter seen a route like that? So you know he put it where it actually it was supposed to be. If he doesn't catch it, if doesn't catch it, it's not their except that's a fact. And you're right. The guy who got the pass interference, he actually grabbed the hips. I can't remember who the wide receiver was and pulled himself in the front. So you know, Mitch really from an overall decision making an accuracy aspect, did not throw. I mean they were not his fault, you know. Now, that was one that they dropped. It was a bad throw, but he got away with it. But the one that really killed them well though, was that that one when fireman should have been where he should have been and that therefore it wouldn't have been an interception.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then a long retired in a short field touchdown and your two scores down, and that first half continued to spiral. That screen game that you referenced, Cincinnati hitting the Colts with a fifty four yard touchdown to the rookiello out of Illinois, Chase Brown. He had another screen that went for twenty yards. Joe Mixon had one that was a huge play. What did the forty five yards? A little dump down? What did you what did you see working for the Bengals there or maybe not working for the Colts?
Speaker 5: Well, they actually called the screen. And you know this is about tendency too, because I would think that the Steelers would try to do some of this and that haven't been a very good screen team that they just if timing is off from a from an offensive line perspective or back perspective, they just they haven't been a real good sink. But even though that's case, I still think he got to try to run it on him because you can get him in a man situation. So the touchdown one was a man situation and they were able to get good position on the man, the guy who was covering the back out of the backfield. They got him blocked. Well, once they got him blocked, that was it. You know. He had to do was hit his head on the goal post. And then the other one was just a better executed one, but it was against zone. But they they so they did both things against their defense and they didn't handle it very well. And I just kind of believe that you got to try those things when you see a team that struggled with them. And I went to the other the thing the Titans, even I'm watched them against the Titans, and I'm trying to think, I think they've gotten a couple of times like that too, and they start to the problems in the back end at times. They didn't given up big plays from it. So from a studying perspective. I think you got to try to challenge those things. See if they buttoned it up, and the said danny ju.
Speaker 3: What also struck me while watching that game? Merrill?
Speaker 2: Uh, this is more of a flow momentum kind of thing. But it was fourteen to nothing Bengals early, and then the Colts got back in it. They scored a touchdown, and then I think the second play after that, there was a bad pass that the tight end reached to try to catch and he ended up basically handing it to the Colts linebacker Ronnie Harrison, and he got to pick six out of it, and then they went for two and tied it because they had missed their point after the first time. So in a matter of seconds, the Colts came back from fourteen to nothing down to fourteen fourteen going into the half.
Speaker 3: And then in the.
Speaker 2: Third quarter, Cincinnati gets the ball, drives for touchdown, Colts go five and out. Uh, Cincinnati gets the ball, drives for a touchdown, Colts.
Speaker 3: Go three and out.
Speaker 2: Cincinnati gets the ball and punts, but the Colts muffed the return and the Bengals get another field goal. Now, all of a sudden, we're early fourth quarter and it's over again. There was that game was hanging in the balance and since he went out and seized it, and the Colts just never had any pushback after that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they got some pressure and the guy a pick actually from a sad pick. There was there down score the Colts for downa scoring territory, and that to me was a devastating one for him because you get nothing. The Bengals get the ball back well, and you look at when you look at that game, you know, Mike, something stood out as those tackles had some problems and they really get some pressures and creak some of those issues with their their outside guys. They have good outside guys where the Steelers have good outside guys, which actually is what I think the Patriots did is such a good job of you know, they were well equipped at those tackles. Overall. When they had to block Ty Smith over walk, they actually played really well. They played good I think they've played all year, and when they wanted to try to take a shot down the field, they made sure that they chipped them or helped out a little bit. And it was tough. It was tough sledding for both those guys. All night. I think that this could be a game where those two guys may be able to wreck some plays and may possibly be the difference in creating a turnover, because if you can get away with the turnover in a game and not give it up, and the chances of you winning game are just so significant in the NFL, and that would be where I think an advantage going into this matchup the Steelers would have as the stuff that they can do from the edge perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, particularly that right side looked like Brayden Smith, who is out again for Indianapolis. He was replaced against the Bengals by Blake Freeland, a rook he out a BYU fourth rounder. He appeared to really struggle against Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he was a guy that you actually studied really well well coming out, you know. Just he's a he's an athletic kid, you know, but he has massive problems with people who who can do some type of inside move, you know. I think so, and both Highmith and wat have all kinds of moves, and they can definitely from from how we evaluated him and his his problem and his biggest weakness can expose that and get after.
Speaker 2: That statistically the Colts don't stop the run. Well, you mentioned Cincinnati had success and the Bengals have not been running it well this year. What did you see not happening for the Steelers in that Patriots game? Because they had run together three four five games in a row where the running game was really effective, and all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: Bill Belichick decided to take that away.
Speaker 5: I guess well, you know, actually, Mike, if you remember, you know, if you just watched their defense, that would look like a Patriot team, you know, and then you had to watch their offense and you're like, oh gosh, this is any close to like, you know, Bill Belchi, but the defensive side that then they've always been like that the entire year. Unfortunately, their offense has just been so out of whack. That's excuse everything. But I'm telling what. In the trenches, they've been unbelievable. On the perimeter, they've been below that box and their safety is play man. That's yeah, it's tough sledding. I mean, everybody's played against a struggle, so you know what they what the biggest issue is, they just couldn't control the lines of careers. They couldn't get any movement. But where they really eroded is are tight ends just got whipped. I mean they just got whipped. Individually, they got with collectively got they got whipped. They couldn't handle thirty three. Thirty three abused them so they couldn't get anything on the edge, couldn't get anything started. And when you do that, it's just hard. It's really like, unless you're really a dynamic confidence and you have a bunch of phases you're really good at, then it's going to really affect a team like the Steelers, which needs the running game to go well. And once that goes well, then the passive game does become a more potent effect. But you have to rely on the pass the game. They're just not as they're not as consistent, they're not as dynamic when when they get that running game taken away from them. So you'll show us a game that they are going to try to get that back on track, and they should have they should have the ability to do that. Some of the challenges of the Colts do deal with or have dealt with. The Steelers do very well. So unless there's some the BACA I can't keep coming, I think they'll be able to run the ball. I run the ball effectively against them.
Speaker 2: What are your impressions of Minshew? He's had some nice runs of success in the league. Yeah, he's had some struggles.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: When I watch him play good or bad, he looks to me like a guy who thinks I got this, I'm gonna let it rip.
Speaker 5: Well, I will tell you this. He's a he's a very good player. He's a very very good player. Now what what what really probably keeps him from being what? Like you had talked about elite? You know, like this is that a game? I'll tell you what. They they had a play design. They have the guy wide open and he underthrows it and bounces off the defender's head. And I'm like, now that he in every game I watched, uh, Gardner don't play in that game, He's made some type of strokes like that, where man, he just hasn't been consistent enough and made the big throws that matter. Now that doesn't that doesn't mean he can't because in an overtime game against the Titans, he did. He's he made the throw to win the game for him. So he does enough to scare it. He processes things well he could. He functions well. I mean he's a really really good player. He's just got a really elite player. From the perspective, he's gonna I like to pla those role, those critical plays that like the Joe Burrows maker of Patrick Mahomes has made. He just he misses just enough of those that he misses going over the edge. But he'll do enough. Danny, did you sleep on him or don't think you've got a problem. You got a problem on his hands because he knows how to function in this league, knows how to play in this league. And hew York straight that offense very well too, So that's the other thing that you have to really be concerned with.
Speaker 2: They do a ton of RPO stuff, Merrill, but he doesn't end up carrying the ball very much.
Speaker 3: Is that just window dressing?
Speaker 5: Well, I think that's far of his window dressing because you could tell that he he don't use his legs and get out of stuff. And you can't sleep on him because he can make some place doing that. But you can tell that as Nisporte, you know, with the RPO action, I think the the the p in r P O is a high, bigger highlight than the R. Yeah, he'd rather, he'd rather do the P versus.
Speaker 2: Or somebody else is doing the RD. He's gonna fake the handoff and then give the guy the ball. He's not He's not necessarily gonna keep it and uh run quarterback or anything like that. Merril Uh, I got nothing else for you. I'm not sure what to make of this game. What do you think happens?
Speaker 5: I'll tell you this. My has actually been a tough one for me too, just based on because I've seen the Colts be so good.
Speaker 2: They are very much like the Steelers seven and six, and and they could they could probably beat a really good team, and they could probably lose to a not so good team.
Speaker 5: I'm still with you. And so let's just say it's a clean game. And I would say a clean game there's no turnovers. I think the difference really could come with the Sewers ability to run the football, and then there are our edge guys against their their issues on the tackle. I think that's where it works come out to favor the Steels now. I think it's something that to mitigate our pressure, like like the Patriots did, and they neutralize the running game in some fashion, you know, then then the Colts have a better chance to win the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't see that happening.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna I'm gonna go with your first theory and hope the Steelers find a way to uh. If it's a hockey game and they pick three stars afterward, it's Najie Harris, TJ.
Speaker 3: Watt, and Alex Highsmith in some order.
Speaker 5: I like it. I like.
Speaker 3: Meryl. Great stuff.
Speaker 2: We will look forward to talking to you again. Uh next week before the Steelers take on the Bengals.
Speaker 5: You've got a big dog.
Speaker 2: Take care, brother, Meryl Hodge our factor back here on the preview.
Speaker 3: Hey, don't forget.
Speaker 2: You can gear up with the latest Sideline apparel, hats or jerseys of your favorite players, authentic memorabilia, custom items, and exclusives you can only find directly from the team at one of the official Steelers pro shops. Those are located at Akrosser Stadium, Grove City Premium.
Speaker 3: Outlets, or the Tanger Outlets. You can also visit.
Speaker 2: Us online at shop dot Steelers dot com. One more segment to go as we continue getting you ready for the Steelers and the Colts on Saturday in Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: Keep it here with Matt Williamson. I'm Mike Pursuda.
Speaker 2: This is Steelers Preview right here on your Steelers flagship, one of two point five DVE and SNR.
Speaker 1: Back to the Steelers Preview Show presented by Unibet on DVE.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Mike Pursuda and Matt Williamson with you here for one more segment as we put the finishing touches on our preview of the Steelers at the Colts on Saturday in Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: Matt, Traditionally, this is the point of the program where.
Speaker 2: We get to our what to expect segment, and what to expect is brought to you by Brian Patton and associates.
Speaker 3: It's all about the benefits.
Speaker 2: I'm fast approaching the point, if I'm not there already, where I can't really identify anything to expect from the football team with a Steelers game, and the Steelers in particular.
Speaker 3: So I'll let you lead off. What do you expect Saturday at Lucas Oil Stadium.
Speaker 4: I mean, these last two losses were brutal and they deserve to both. I mean I thought they were the inferior team, but I think this sets up well for them. I mean teams are running on the Colts. I think that they're more of a finesse defense that if you can bring out big personnel and really feature your running backs, I think you can push them around. I think we talked about in the first segment. The edge matchup is huge in this game. Both these quarterbacks are mistake prone or a little loose with the football, which is a big determining factor here. But I also think those corners on the outside are somewhat of a liability for the Colts. I think Porter matches up on Pittman very well. I'm sure he'll catch his balls, but I think in style of play he should hang with him in contested catches and physicality quite well. I think the Steelers are in pretty good shape here just from the style of fight, and I think that was lost a little bit with the Patriots. I mean, the Patriots are everyone knew that game was going to be very, very low scoring. He overreacted to that. A thirty point over under or whatever it was. But boy they're stay and a half. But that's was it. At times it dipped below that. But there's the Patriots style of play I think is much get more difficult on the Steelers than the cult style of play and culture more talented, but sometimes styles make fights.
Speaker 2: I'll go for some low hanging fruits. Since I got to pick something, I think TJ. Watt is going to drastically impact this game.
Speaker 3: This just in.
Speaker 2: It's not a bold prediction, but given what he had to say recently about the leagues got something against me, you know, the lack of penalties that are called on these edge rushers, and boy, it wasn't an interesting to hear.
Speaker 3: Miles Garrett kind of.
Speaker 2: I didn't second the notion he was complaining after a Brown's victory over the Jaguars.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's gone, you know, and they're trying to protect the quarterback.
Speaker 3: He called it a travesty. Yeah, you know what had the.
Speaker 2: The concussion concerns and the injury issue the last game. I think he is gonna and I think with the team backed into a corner of the way it is, if I got to pick one guy to come out swinging, I'm gonna pick TJ.
Speaker 3: Watt.
Speaker 4: I think he mass tracking the dome, gets a rookie right tackle, and it sets up really well.
Speaker 2: I think he impacts this game. But I wanted to go back to that New England game because Merrill uh talked about.
Speaker 3: This a lot.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, the underrating, if you will, of the New England defense and people just looking at the record and thinking, Okay, this is a terrible football team. Well it was probably coming to Pittsburgh. New England had been a terrible offensive.
Speaker 4: Team, but then they were a terrible passing attack.
Speaker 2: That defense was really really good, and the Steelers struggled with it, and I was curious your take. I've been kind of on an island based on who I work with in the mornings here at DDE and from what people have let me know on Twitter.
Speaker 3: I always appreciate that. By the way, I'm sure it was all positive.
Speaker 2: I had no problem with the plays they called on third and two and fourth and two at the end of that Patriots game. I wish they would have executed them better. I wish they would have completed one of those passes. Pickens was open, Trubisky missed them. Deontay Johnson wasn't wide open, but he was open. Matt I've been watching this team play all year, and it has frustrated me way more often than not. Their conservative approach to getting the ball over.
Speaker 3: The goal line.
Speaker 2: To me, if you can find single coverage outside and take a shot to a guy who should be one of your best players on offense, go for it.
Speaker 3: Man, throw the ball, win the game right there.
Speaker 2: They if they try to get the first down, maybe they get it. Then you got to try to get another one. Then you got to make the field goal. Then a bunch of stuff has to happen in overtime for you to win the game. I am not going to criticize them for going for the victory as they did.
Speaker 4: How'd you see the end of the game differently? To'd be very honest with you. So I'm sitting there watching this thing and there's like two oh six on the clock or something like that. Third down and two, as you mentioned, I said, Wow, that's a gift. You can run the football here because the clock's gonna stop. You're gonna get a lighter box. They're afraid to allow the big play. I'll bet every dollar I owned that Belichick would have ran the ball there. You know that that's a gift. I think he's the best game manager in the league. And that's a concern and worry I have about the Tomlin led teams in terms of game management, clock management. Now, I would have absolutely ran the ball on third and two, and I think you get it and move the chains and everything's fine. On fourth and two.
Speaker 3: They did have a bunch of negative plays running the ball.
Speaker 4: They did, they weren't. I mean, it's the toughest run defense in the league. I mean, I think that has to be.
Speaker 2: That's just you an agreement. It's no gimme that you convertim running.
Speaker 4: No, But I think to take it off the table was crazy considering the clock aspect of it.
Speaker 3: All because he had the free stoppage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, don't worry about the Clock's your friend at that point. Now, my take on the fourth down play was Belichick. Because he's Belichick. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. And we've talked about this for weeks on here, often with Merrill. Steelers need better answers for blitz, and I think Belichick left his best blitz on the table going when I need it most, I have my best blitz, and the Steelers didn't have a hot route I answer, and just kind of had to chuck it up and hope for the best. And I think that was a schematic advantage that he knew he had all along. When I need it most, I'm gonna pull out my best blitz.
Speaker 3: Still, I won all one with Deontae Johnson.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, and that's that's fine.
Speaker 3: You know, the closer to him, you might get a catch, you might get a flag.
Speaker 4: It's still not a high percentage play, no, but you know, but it could have paid off huge And we'll be singing a totally different story right now.
Speaker 2: And it's for a team that has struggled to score touchdowns. I just can't in good conscience rip them for trying to score a touchdown or at least get the ball.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I like the way you phrased it with then sniffing distance of the goal line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've been.
Speaker 3: Sideways and not score and not win exactly.
Speaker 4: At least I do like your approach to it. That's we've been critical of this team. You're not aggressive enough, you're not trying to hit the big play, and when they do, then we're mad at them also, you know, just because it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: So now fast forward to US Saturday.
Speaker 2: Will it be a more traditional Steeler looking type game where because Indianapolis is tied for twenty six.
Speaker 3: In run defense.
Speaker 2: I think so do you just kind of shove it down their throats on the road and gradually grind this game to dust, or do you think well, Mike Thomains said he expects Mitch Trubisky to be better better preparation this week. He's got a little more time in the saddle, you know, back as the starter. Do you throw it a little more and and keep the pedal down or do you revert back to some of the ways we saw them win prior to the last couple.
Speaker 4: I'd say more control passing. I know this isn't gonna light people, you know, a fire with optimism, but I think it's more like end of Roethlisberger passing. Just quick hitters against cover three zone stuff, move the chains, bring out a lot of heavy personnel and push around. But is a fast athletic defense. But it's not a real physical one like the like the Patriots. I mean, I think you have a trench advantage actually in terms of size and physicality.
Speaker 2: Merrill seems very impressiles what the Bengals did getting the ball to the running backs.
Speaker 3: The screen game in particularly see the.
Speaker 2: Big Day or a Big Player too from Najie Harris and or Jalen Warren.
Speaker 3: Yes, in the passing game.
Speaker 4: Lawley and I the Drive have been talking about that all week, that it should be a very running back centric offensive game plan, run and pass.
Speaker 3: Minshew.
Speaker 2: Last thing, I can't remember if we were talking off the air, you mentioned this already, but I like his swagger. Oh yeah, you think he's kind of a Ryan Fitzpatrick type of.
Speaker 4: Guess, I absolutely do. I think he'll last in this league a long time. He'll be a spot starter. You can win with them. Never is going to light the world on fire, but he'll put the ball in harm's way. I mean good and bad.
Speaker 3: You know, you use the word.
Speaker 2: I forget who we were talking about on one of our prior shows, but you said not bashful.
Speaker 3: That was Jake browning Jake Brown.
Speaker 4: He's not bashful either, But Gardner Minshew is definitely not play.
Speaker 3: Quarterback and be bashful. Can you and for me and get anywhere? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think that's you hit your head on the ceiling doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at some point you gotta let it rip and trust you guys, trust yourself.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it too, you know, like I don't want a bashful quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so we we shall see that is going to do it for us tonight.
Speaker 3: I want to remind.
Speaker 2: Everybody that Steelers Preview on DV is brought to you by uni Bet. The only thing better than a Steelers win is a Steelers win to pay double down on your team with Unibet, proud partner of the Pittsburgh Steelers. For Matt Williamson, Mike Pursuda, and again, if you have a problem differentiating between the two of us, I'm the guy that's willing to go along.
Speaker 3: On fourth and too.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Brian A La Martina for keeping everything running smoothly behind the console tonight, and thank you for finding us however and wherever you found us. We'll do it again next week before the Steelers get ready to host the Cincinnati Bengals. Until then, for Matt Williamson on Mike Persuda, this has been Steelers Preview right here on your Steelers flagship one of two point five d ve E and SNR.
Speaker 3: Good night, everybody,