Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim kirkchen I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshon, and dad, I love your quarter zip today. That was something I bought to you when we were at Little League World Series. That's a pretty cool jacket. I just got to start by saying that I feel like I comment on what you're wearing in most podcasts to begin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, this is really cool and it's really warm because and it's getting a little cool and when they are conditioning in the house, it makes it even cooler. You know how cold I get. This was totally unnecessary to buy old pop pop something else, but it's great, So thanks very much, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Well, number one thing, if you're ever buying anything and your dad is Tim Kirkchhon, it has to be warm. I don't care what month it is, what style it is, if it's a summerwear or winterwear, make it warm.
Speaker 3: That's all he wants in life.
Speaker 2: Have to be a circulatory issue. I'm sure of it. There's no reason to be this cold all the time. But that it's okay. Now, Jeff, what do you have coming up?
Speaker 1: So tomorrow morning when when this podcast is live? Right, so Tuesday morning, I will be going in for my first colonoscopy.
Speaker 2: This is your first.
Speaker 3: One ever, Dad, I'm only thirty two.
Speaker 2: Jeff, This all right? I thought you had done this before. And how great is it? We had the greatest number forty the other day. That's so fitting. How bad was that? How bad was that?
Speaker 3: That was pretty crappy?
Speaker 2: Jeff?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Dad?
Speaker 1: So I've been you know, so I'm on the clear liquid diet right now all day today. So I'm actually drinking eight You can drink black coffee, I'm not. I just started drinking coffee like a year ago, and I load that thing up with so much creamer you don't even know. And now I'm drinking it black and I just hate it. But I need the caffeine to get through our episode today, to be alive and present. I haven't eaten a single thing today. I'm already starving an exhausted dad.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Every time I come home from the radio job in the morning, I immediately eat lunch, and then I come downstairs and we record is are.
Speaker 2: The lunches still prepared in your refrigerator?
Speaker 1: Oh, they're still prepped. They're still there. They're ready for me. When I arrived home from my colon Oscar.
Speaker 2: How about the last monday I was there, I ate two dishes at one of those was Emily's, and you yelled at me.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, Dad, I said, you can have a lunch and then you ate two servings of lunch.
Speaker 2: Look, Jeff, I weigh one hundred and thirty seven pounds this morning. You're not gonna give me a hard time for eating too much. I didn't know it was designed just for Emily.
Speaker 3: Now it was.
Speaker 1: It was less that it was designed just for Emily. It was more that now Emily doesn't have two days of lunches more than one day of the Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Made a mistake and I apologized. Okay, you yelled at Emily and yelled at you for yelling at me.
Speaker 1: Did I said, Dad, only what you ate too? It was too lately. Shouldn't have said anything to your dad. God knows, he's helped us out along the way in life, and he's the best, and he's pop up.
Speaker 3: So you can eat as many lunches as you want.
Speaker 2: I just can't eat any today, which is just a lesson on colonoscopies. Okay, the ninth four is way worse than the procedure. The procedure is a piece of cake. They're gonna knock you out. You're gonna wake up, you're gonna think it's not even They haven't even started yet, and as it turned out, they're finished. So it's gonna be fine. They're not gonna find anything, and you're gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's hope for good news. That's all we can pray for.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: I know you've been freaking out about the Oriole game from the other night, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, let me explain the Oriole game the other night. So the Orioles are down three to nothing to the Dodgers and Yoshi Yamamoto has no hitter going with two outs in the ninth inning, Down three to nothing, they're one out a way from losing the game and one out away from being no hit. Okay, So Jackson Holiday hits a home run and they come back to win four to three. So we went to Frankett, the Elia's first team since nineteen sixty one. That's as far back as we can accurately go to be one out away from losing the game and one out away from a no hitter. And come back to win the game. And so it's one of the greatest comebacks in Major League history. And of course, Jeff, it came on the same night that we celebrated cal Ripkins two, one three one. It was the thirty year anniversary. I wrote a really long story for ESPN dot com to prepare everyone for what Saturday night would be like, going back thirty years to nineteen ninety five. That amazing night. Also on September sixth in Baltimore at Camden Yards, same date, Eddie Murray hit his five hundred home run. So it was quite It's quite a night that night in cause, and I swear Jeff, twenty thirty close friends of mine, thirty friends of mine went to that game, and they all chimed in, like, I can't believe we're watching this. I almost saw no hitter. It was the greatest comeback I've ever seen, most exciting game I've ever seen. This is why baseball is so beautiful. And then I went to church the next morning. Jeff and half a dozen people at church had been to the game. And get this, I didn't even get to watch it on TV because where was I.
Speaker 1: Well, you were watching two grandchildren because Kelly, your daughter, and your son in law Mark were at a wedding in Atlanta, so you were busy watching them.
Speaker 3: You were full on pop pop right.
Speaker 2: And Kat, Kat and I took care of the kids for the weekend. It was so good. It was so much fun.
Speaker 3: Eight four and two.
Speaker 2: They run your ragged, but we had the best time. But they were both asleep, Jeff at the time that Jackson Holiday hit the home run, I had a moment to go watch the game on TV, but of course I couldn't.
Speaker 3: Would you explain, please, you couldn't watch it on your TV?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Oh, because you were at Kelly and Mark's house. Would you explain, as a young person why I couldn't. Why an old man like me couldn't watch a game on TV? Well, it's one of two reasons. I mean, they probably have cable now that it's football season, right, they have.
Speaker 2: A cecial football package that's not cable TV. Correct.
Speaker 1: Oh, so you couldn't watch it at all, but you also did. It's not even an old man thing. It's impossible to operate another man's television.
Speaker 3: If I walked into your house right now at age.
Speaker 1: Thirty two, Dad, I don't think I could figure out your TVs and I helped set them all up for you.
Speaker 2: Jeff, Why are we doing this? Why is it so difficult to turn on a television and watch it? I know this is obvious. This is part of the broadcasting issue that we have at ESPN at all over the country, all over the world. How do you get the games on TV? All I know is I had to watch. I couldn't even watch it on my phone. All I got was the update and I'm watching Jackson Holiday home run, and now, of course I'm saying, Wow, it's gonna be a it's gonna be a one hitter. And then I watched I'd listen to the I just don't. I watched the whole thing happen. It was dead crazy.
Speaker 1: I've been wanting to upgrade your cable package at your house for one hundred and fifty years, and if you let, we just need to have a meeting because is this a great game or what. We don't make a ton of money, but we make enough money to pay for another cable subscription for you and mom, so you can watch the games on your phone. I can watch any game that I would get at home on my phone on YouTube.
Speaker 3: TV.
Speaker 1: Not an advertisement. But if they want to advertise with us, please come on down at any time. But Dad, I have to say something about this game that I'm just now realizing, and you and I are making a bo Jackson level mistake right now on this podcast. Go This was the thirtieth anniversary of two to one three one right on September sixth, righteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: Make care whit.
Speaker 1: My wife, Emily was born on September sixth, nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: No, she it was her birthday, the exact date. Oh my gosh, talk about.
Speaker 3: The exact date. So here we are talking.
Speaker 1: About the game, and I was like, I'm pretty sure that was the date, because you know, sometimes when teams have an anniversary and they might not be home that day, they'll do it on a different day. They do Luke Garrig Day on a different day.
Speaker 3: Right, Not only is.
Speaker 1: It her birthday, it's her thirtieth birthday this past Saturday, and she shares it with one of the most important dates in baseball history. September sixth, nineteen ninety five, My wife and her twin brother were born and two one three one.
Speaker 2: What Jeff talk about Barry in the lead, I am no longer a journalist. I called Emily the morning of September.
Speaker 3: She did, you were one of the first people to.
Speaker 2: Reach out to b birthday and I never connect and I knew she was thirty. Oh, this is embarrassing. I can't do the show anymore.
Speaker 1: After this, I was gonna say, I think we have to retire because both of us swinging and missing at this. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I'm not even I can't even be mad at you for not making the connection. I'm her husband, right, and I didn't make the connection.
Speaker 2: Did you just make it? Just now?
Speaker 3: Hand to god?
Speaker 1: I double checked two one, three one. It was September sixth, nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 3: As we all know.
Speaker 1: I did a Google search in the background of this call to make sure I had it right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just figured it out.
Speaker 2: It just hit me, all right, Speaking for all men, Jeff, we are the worst. That is terrible that we didn't recognize that.
Speaker 3: So here's not as bad as what I did. Dad.
Speaker 1: I had cupcakes for dinner or for dessert because we're gluten and dairy free right now, so I knew we couldn't do a full cake, and I totally forgot to do like a candle blowout situation on Saturday. Just dropped the ball, totally missed it, and so we did it last night. This would have been Sunday the seventh, because I dely airballed on it.
Speaker 3: I got the dessert. I was prepped for that, but.
Speaker 1: I did not actually make the action in sing Happy birthday. So another day fail. Husband failed right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an airball from the free throw line. That's pretty bad.
Speaker 1: And I got her flowers on Friday home from work like birthday weekends, so excited took her out to breakfast on Saturday morning of her birthday.
Speaker 3: I totally missed it on the cupcakes.
Speaker 2: All right, gar, here's what clever people do. Jeff, this guy looks up. I don't know who did it, and maybe this is the biggest reach ever. But Jackson Holiday, aged twenty one, hit the home run and then the game winning hit was given up by Tanner Scott. Who is how old is he?
Speaker 3: Jeff thirty one?
Speaker 2: Twenty one? Thirty thirty one? How about that?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's a little bit of a reach. However, I do think that there's something there, There's some magic there.
Speaker 3: Imagine.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was so sad following that game on my phone. They were going to get no hit on two one three one, Dad. Yeah, all the bands did to celebrate.
Speaker 2: Cal and then the magic of baseball took over and it went from what would have been a no hitter into one of the greatest comebacks in baseball history that I don't think there's a way around that. And Jeff, by the way, going back to September sixth, nineteen ninety five, I was there. I wrote the whole thing for Sports Illustrated, talk about a magical night. I'll just tell you one quick story from Bob Elliott, my dear friend, Hall of Fame baseball writer from Canada. He just parachuted in for two to one, three one, so he hadn't been there for the amazing build up and everything else, so he didn't sense the drama. And it was hard to sense the drama because you knew in the fifth inning this is going to be official and that's it. So he looks at me, and Bob's the greatest guy in the world, but he says, tim, I I don't feel it, I don't see it. I don't get it. What is the big deal here? I said, Boxer, I don't know. Something's going to happen tonight. I don't know what it is. Check back with me after the fifth inning. And then, of course Ripken is pushed out of the dugout by Bobby Benia. It makes this unforgettable twenty two minute tour of the stadium looking at people who are weeping in the crowd. I mean weeping. He's pointing to people, he's shaking hands. It's unbelievable. And he comes back, wife and children, big hug and everything else. And after the fifth inning, Bob Elliott, my dear friend, comes up to me with tears in his eyes, and he says, Okay, Tim, I get it. That's what that night was all about. And I wish I had been there Saturday night, but if I may, I was where I was supposed to be. It was way more important for me and your sister to take care of our two grandchildren, even though I couldn't watch the game on TV.
Speaker 3: All right, Dad, what do you have in the take? Now?
Speaker 2: Sadly, we're gonna start with the death. Davy Johnson died at age eighty two. I believe he should be in the Hall of Fame as a manager. You look at the teams that he took over and what he did with those teams Dodgers, Reds, Mets, of course Nationals. I think Davy Johnson deserves it to be in the Hall of Fame as a manager. I always loved what a rebel he was. He just did things his way. Remember when we interviewed Ron Darling about the famous July fourth game Davy got thrown out that We said, you know where was Davy during the game? You remember what Ron Darling said, Davy was he was gone.
Speaker 3: Like he left.
Speaker 2: He was still there, but he wasn't exactly managing from his office, because that is how Daviy did. Davy also was a great basketball player in high school and a really good golfer. And I like to ask Jeff the average golfer, the question, if you had a you know, a five shot lead on Tiger Woods going into eighteen at Augusta, could you hold the lead, a five shot lead with all the pressure. And I didn't ask Davey that question. I asked him if he could win with a with a two shot lead, and he was so insulted that I asked him that. He said, I would Birdy, that son of a bitch. That's what he said about the eighteenth at Augusta. That's who Davy was. I love Davy for that. And you know he's also a math major, Jeff, just like your grandfather Pop was a PhD in mathematics MIT undergrad. Davy Johnson had a great mathematical mind, so you would think that he would engage with the metrics more than anyone, and sometimes he did. But he once told me, look, I can watch a player for five minutes and I'll tell you whether he can play or not five minutes. That's what great baseball people can do. I also told you the story, Jeff, that when Davy Johnson met Brooks Robinson for the first time in spring training, you know, mid sixties whatever, he notices that Brooks Robinson writes and eats with his left hand, and Davey goes, wait a minute, the greatest defensive third basement of all time writes and eats with his left hand. So Davy told me that he wrote and ate with his left hand for a year to see if it would make him a better second basement. Wow, he said, it didn't work.
Speaker 3: But I.
Speaker 2: Had to try it. And as far as being a rebel goes I'd never heard this story till a few years ago. Bob Clappish, my good baseball friend for New York. What a great writer he is. So Clapp told me a story that it was six thirty before a seven o'clock game, and Clapp is still in the clubhouse. Jeff in today's day, at age, they let you in at three and kick you out at three forty five, and that's it. It's six thirty and he's still in there. And Davy sees a writer in the clubhouse with thirty minutes before the game and says, Clap, you got to get out of here, man, We've got a team meeting. So then he looks at Clap and goes, I never buy you could stay. So Bob Clappers, beat writer for the team, stayed and watched the team meeting in the Mets clubhouse because Davy Johnson didn't give a darn that there was a writer in there, because he knew what he was doing, and it didn't bother him that somebody knew what he was doing. That's who Davy Johnson was. A rebel in every form and rest in peace, and someday I believe he'll be in the Hall of fame as a manager.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what other takeaways do you have right now?
Speaker 2: Right? A couple things, Jeff, Bryce Terrang I've told you multiple times with the Brewers has really become a good offensive player. I told you what an elite defensive second basement is. He's a magician out there. But since August, this was as the other day he had a one point one four to six OPS was the highest OPS in the Major League since August the first. We're talking about five weeks here, and it's just so beautiful that the light goes on for somebody offensively and suddenly he's got it. It's really cool to watch. Also, Jeff, the stolen base thing is really getting interesting. As of the other day, most stolen bases in the second half of the season for any player is Juan Soto was seventeen. Now, Jan Soto has never stolen seventeen bases in a season in his career, and now he's got seventeen the second half of the season. Again, Jeff, we know how much easier it is to steal a base now, bigger bases. You know the engagement rule you can't throw over all the time. It's easier to steal a base but I do you find it interesting that Juan Soto, who is here mostly to hit, has the most steals of anyone the second half of the season.
Speaker 3: I mean, are they just he's giving him the green light? Well, what's the change in there?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And I mean he clearly can run.
Speaker 2: The bases, right, He's a smart player. He knows what he's doing, and guys are picking and choosing a little bit more. Jeff, do you know who Josh Naylor is of the Mariners?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you know what he Cleveland Gardens?
Speaker 2: Do you know what he looks like? Big dude, big dude. How many steals has he got? Twenty four stolen bases? Unbelievable, unbelievable. Never stolen more than ten in any season. Now he's got twenty four. I mean keep in mind Joe Demaggio stole thirty bases in his career. I mean, yeah, back then on those teams, there was no reason to run. It was a mistake to run because the next guy was gonna hit a three run homer. Anyway, But I found that interesting. And Trevor Story, who runs pretty well. The Red Sox shortstop is twenty seven for twenty seven and steals, so he's got twenty seven steals, no caught stealings. That the twenty seven ties his career high. But he's never had twenty seven steals in a season without getting caught. Pretty impressive, very impressive. And last thing, Jeff, we talked about this the other day. Roldis Chapman through Sunday was up to seventeen consecutive hitless appearances. Now, Jeff, let's understand he's a closer. He's only pitching an inning at a time, So for those seventeen in a row, the total is fourteen and two thirds hitless inning, so he's not throwing a whole lot of innings. But the record is twenty in a row by Randy Choate, who did that as a left handed reliever in twenty eleven. Randy Choate got his twenty in a row over eight and two thirds innings. Just to show you, situational relievers don't even pitch a whole inning. They just come in and get it out and then they get you out. But it's still really impressive. Twenty straight appearances without allowing a hit. That's the major league record.
Speaker 3: And Dad, did you hear about this too?
Speaker 1: Connor Wong when he first when Chapman first joined the Red Sox, Wong said in PitchCom fastball inside, right, And so Chapman threw a fastball inside. And after that appearance he went up to Connor Wong and the coaching staff and said, I never really tried to target my fastball.
Speaker 2: What right?
Speaker 1: He just throws so hard that nobody can hit it, so it doesn't matter. So I can't help but believe that he's having arguably one of the best seasons of his career right now at his age, because he has a coaching staff and catchers who are helping him be better and helping him target a fastball. God forbid we decide where to throw a ball, those poor catchers before saying, I don't know where this fastball is gonna go, but he's gonna throw it right now, right.
Speaker 2: And he's averaged over fourteen strikeouts per nine innings in his career. Jeff, just letting it go. I remember when David Ross caught him with the Cubs. Of course, the Cubs won the World Series with a rold As Chapman as their closer, and ROSSI used to tell me, and ROSSI was a really good defensive catcher. But Chapman threw so hard he used to say to himself behind the plate, all right, just catch it. Okay, you don't have to frame it, you don't have to be ready to throw, just catch it. That's how hard and that's how violent the stuff that a role as Chapman has.
Speaker 1: And Jah, do you think that he's making any sort of play for the cy Young. I mean, we haven't had a closer win a cy Young since Eric Ganye twenty plus years ago.
Speaker 3: Is there a play for.
Speaker 1: This if he continues this out through the month of September.
Speaker 2: No, No, because Trek schools in the league, and he's had a cy Young season. And when we've had cy Young seasons by starters, they always win. And now we have a new award Jeb put together. By the way, that driving force behind it was our dear friend Jason Stark. Next year we're going to have a Reliever of the Year in the American League and the National League, voted on by the Baseball Writers Association of America. So that's good, Hey, Randy Cholate. It brought back some memories for me. One of my favorite stories I've ever written was about superstitions and I probably talked to thirty different players about their superstitions. I was in the Cardinal dugout one at Cardinal Clubhouse one day, and I went to Jason Mott, really good reliever in his day, and talked to him about superstisions that he looks at me and says, well, if you're going to talk about superstitions, he got to talk to Randy Chod. He's all messed up. That was how he described He's all messed up. So I went to Randy Chod and said, tell me about your superstitions. And he looked at me and he said, okay, remember you asked me. Okay, I'm not volunteering this, but you asked me.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Among the many things, when he starts to warm up in the bullpen, this is in twenty eleven, I did this interview. He said, if there's any gum wrappers or empty cups anywhere near the mound, I have to go clean them up first, because I can't pitch on a cluttered mound. I can't wow. And if a piece of paper while he's in the game, a wrapper or a piece of paper, anything blows past the bound, he will grab it and put it in his back pocket because he can't bear to have a messy mound when he's working on it. Also, if there are seeds anywhere near him while he's pitching bullpen or on the mound, he has to pick them up and get rid of them because that's an untidy mound. He also told me when he comes in from the bullpen, if it's down the third base line, he has to enter the game, Jeff in between the shortstop and the third baseman has to run in between them. If the bullpen is down the right field line and he runs into the game, he has to run in between the first basement and the second basement. So Daniel descalso mischievous second Basement for the Cardinals. Once decided to try to get Randy chot All messed up by moving around and not allowing him to run in between. Mike Matheny, the manager of the Cardinals, screamed it, I don't do it. You'll scroll him up. Don't do it. That's how messed up. Randy Choate was and again, great guy, really good relief pitcher, but he had some things that he had to take care of. And everything he did in his life was even numbered. He wore number thirty six. Everything he did was even numbered except for the number of warm up pitches in between innings. Seven. That's it. No, not eight, not six, has to be seven. So those are our superstitions for the day, courtesy of Randy.
Speaker 3: Choke coming up next here on his It's a great game or what?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 1: We're gonna get our quirk gins along with another team Tim. These are the most popular things that our members of our family who listen to the show love on the state in baseball history and another team Tim, what we're getting double team Tims.
Speaker 2: Too, Tims and want two team Tyms and one days. People seem to enjoy this. I know I enjoy spending all day looking up pointless arcane numbers, names, everything. But we'll get to that in a minute.
Speaker 3: Is this a great game or what Dad? Let's go into the quark gins.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jeff, we had twelve saves on Sunday. Do you find that fitting that we had twelve saves on Sunday? Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: I mean, in theory, only fifteen possible saves if every team is playing right, that's a lot of saves, right.
Speaker 2: So the last time we had twelve saves in one day, was over a year ago. That was on July tenth, twenty twenty four. But I'm trying to make the point about having a save on Sunday, not Saturday, not Friday, Sunday makes sense? Or are you not connecting the dots?
Speaker 3: Are you taking me to church right now?
Speaker 2: Or so stupid? Yeah, I'm glad you didn't get it because it wasn't good enough for you to get.
Speaker 3: Well, Dad, I'll tell you this much.
Speaker 1: I did not have an opportunity to make it to church on Sunday because I was hosting events at the Kennett Square Mushroom Festival. True story. I've done it four years in a row. I hosted the Fried Mushroom eating contest where the winner ate nine pounds of mushrooms in ten minutes.
Speaker 3: Really true story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I wasn't able to go to church, but I did get a voicemail from you, Dad, while you were at church, a butt dial voicemail and on your phone, it'll give you the the transcription of what you heard. And this morning from Deuteronomy, this dramatic and climactic part of the book, Moses is speaking to a new generation of Israel born during the forty years Israel has been Moses is offering the choice between This is the voicemail you left me on Sunday, Dad. I got a little bit of the sermon, so I felt like I went to church anyway.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, a long button dial voicemail.
Speaker 2: It's okay, Dad, Isn't it all right, Jeff, I'm really bad at that.
Speaker 3: No, Dad, don't worry, right, okay.
Speaker 2: Dalen Lyle of the Nationals has eight triples in two hundred and fifty two at bats. He just had a two triple game the other day, and he had a three triple weekend at Wrigley Field. The last guy's I mean, like four guys in history you have ever had a three triple weekend at or three game series at Wrigley Field. That's how hard it is there. The last guy to have eight triples in his first two hundred and fifty at bats was Starling Marte, who had eight in two twenty two. In twenty thirteen, and Starling Martin Tay to this day has the most triples of any active player.
Speaker 3: Starling Marte.
Speaker 1: Every time I hear his name now, I think of one SNL comedian who did his whole thing was talking about how when broadcasters do, like especially PA announcers will be like up to the plate, Jeff Kirkschin. But when they have somebody of Latin descent, all of a sudden they become Latin.
Speaker 3: They say, up to the bait from suntunaming Starling model.
Speaker 1: It's a great, great snl bit And uh, I absolutely love it because it's so true as a as a white guy myself. When I used to do PA PA announcing at the Frederick Keyes, when Edward Rodriguez would come in, I'd always add a little bit more splash in there, a little bit more.
Speaker 2: All right, I love it. I love it, Jeff. All right. So Todd Addington, one of our one of our alert lists, went to the game September sixth Cardinals game and gets the Giants and the game was won on a walk off hit by Jordan Walker, and he the walk off came off Ryan Walker, oh pitcher for the Giants. So we had a walk off with the pitcher and the hitter both named Walker, and as Todd cleverly pointed out, it would have been better if it had been a walk off walk but we still got a walk off hit from Jordan Walker off of Ryan Walker thank you very much for that, Todd. I did not notice that I love it. I enjoyed talking to people about baseball, and when people are reading the box score as much like I am every day, that's a you know, that's a shared interest. I love that stuff. But I don't think anyone looked this up. But I did because our buddy Steve Sparks told us last week they had another palindrome in the attendance. It was thirty three one thirty three. So I looked him up. He's had that, the astros have. I've had four palindromic attendances this year and Steve Sparks points it out every single time. Sounds like a lot to me, doesn't it, Jeff?
Speaker 3: It does?
Speaker 1: But you know Steve Sparks, his seam head mind is always on the move, always looking for something.
Speaker 3: He's the best.
Speaker 2: What an understatement. When he asked us earlier this year, after we had him on, he was so funny. He goes, I just want to be a seamhead someday, and we said, someday. You've been a seammed for years. You're the only one that looks up this stuff. So all right, Jeff, you know how much I love to look at line scores and see phone numbers. I saw a couple of them this week, which I'm not even going to tell you which one, but it's a real bad habit of mine. When you see a five to one to zero area code, like if five in the first, one in the second, zero the third, you pay attention. And Jeff say Cybold, a big Brewers fan, pointed out to me that the Brewers got four in the first, one in the second, four were in the third. So four four to one four, that's Milwaukee's area code. Now it didn't turn out to be a phone number, but he just wanted to alert me that the Brewers had a four to one four to start the game. I love stuff like that. I love it way too much. I acknowledge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you and Peter Gammons are constantly always tracking this, right, Peter, the one that kind of introduced you to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Peter called one day and got a warehouse, like a working number at a warehouse for like some six one seven number, which was the Boston area code, which I just I love so much of ur. Last thing, Jeff, we had Sunday, we had the Max Freed against Max Scherzer. They were the pitchers of record in the game between the Blue Jays and the Yankees, so this is fairly obvious for a team. Tim, What's what what? What is it?
Speaker 3: Are you gonna do the all mac?
Speaker 2: Of course? Yeah? Well, Max Stassy is the catcher. Max Munsey is the first baseman. Of course, he's played second and mostly third now. Max Bishop from a million years ago is the second baseman. Max Alvis, who I grew up watching when he played for the Indians, it's the third baseman. Max Morof is our shortstop. Max Carrey Hall of Famer, is one outfielder, Max Venable, who I grew up watching on the Giants when I was hopelessly devoted to the Giants as a teenager. And his son, of course, is Will Vettable, who's the manager of the White Sox, And Max Kepler, who plays for the Phillies, is our third outfielder. And Max Schurzer is our right handed pitcher, and Max fried is our left handed pitcher. I think this is fair to say Max Schurzer is the greatest Max ever. Again, Max Carrey's in the Hall of Fame, but Max Schuerzer is going to the Hall of fame. So it's possible that two of the greatest Maxes of all time were the pictures of record. Sunday, when the Blue Jays played the Yankees at Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 3: All right, Dad, what do you have for on this state in baseball history?
Speaker 2: On this date September ninth, nineteen forty eight, Rex Barney pitched a no hitter for the Brooklyn Dodgers. And I bring that up because Rex became one of my dear friends as the public address voice of the Baltimore Orioles's. He was a character of all characters. Give that fan a contract, give that fan and error Mac. I'm telling you, Rex was one of my favorite people ever and again had a great arm. Jeb through really hard and then sadly he got the yips and really never recovered and couldn't throw a strike anymore. He went to see psychiatrists, he tried everything. He even put an ad in a newspaper saying someone please help me because he got in his head. And Rex Barney really never quite recovered from getting the yips to speaking again, to the degree of difficulty and the mental part of baseball which is so difficult to get through. Okay, On this date. In nineteen sixty five, Sandy Kofax pitched a perfect game, no walks, fourteen strikeouts, certainly maybe the greatest game ever pitched. It's hard to beat perfect game with fourteen strikeouts. But the interesting part is Bob Henley of the Cubs pitched in that game, and he pitched a one hitter. Jeff, he pitched a complete game, one hitter, eight innings, and he lost one to nothing. He threw seventy six pitches in that game. So they played a nine inning game at Dodger Stadium and Kofax pitched a perfect game and there was one hit total in the game.
Speaker 1: That is so sad because you threw arguably probably his.
Speaker 3: Best outing of the season maybe you are career, yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe of his career, and you were just overshadowed by maybe the greatest game ever pitched of all time.
Speaker 3: Right, that's really say, by one of.
Speaker 2: The greatest pitchers ever. All right, this date in nineteen ninety two, robign got his three thousand hit. By the way, I really have trouble saying three thousand. I always say hit number three thousand, three thousandth hit? Can you say that? No?
Speaker 3: And I know three thousandth right, I it's heard, you have to over emphasize it.
Speaker 1: I hate that one, right, I'm not free three thousandth And you know my least favorite word in the world brewery, brewery, right, gosh, I want to throw up, all.
Speaker 2: Right, chef.
Speaker 3: It makes me sick, all right.
Speaker 2: So Robigny was, you know, played major league shortstop every day at age eighteen, one of the great athletes ever. And Dan please act told me a story of years ago about he was a teammate with rob Robnell had a bruise on like the inside of his thigh that was so gruesome, Dan please, that couldn't even look at it. And they're in the outfield and he goes up to robyne out and he says, are you playing today with that injury? And Robnet goes, yes, of course I'm playing today with that injury. So please, that says Robin, why are you playing? And he said, Dan, do you do you remember when you faked being sick in like the third grade and you got away with it? You remember and Dan please, that goes yeah, I remember it, he goes. Robnet goes, you remember how much easier it was getting away with it? The second time because you got away with it the first time, and please that goes. Yeah, it was even easier the second time. You out looked at his teammate and said, and don't ever do it the first time. So the first time you acknowledge this hurts too much for me to play, it's going to be easier to I'll Jeff the second time. Don't do it the first time. Does that tell you who robin you out is? Jeff?
Speaker 3: It's so fitting.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's so perfect, and it's great for like normal people like us, right, Like, if you think you can get by calling in, calling out sick to work when you're not really sick, if you do it once, you're gonna think you can get away with it all the time, not just twice, but a hundred times, and then not good, not a good lesson for life.
Speaker 2: Right, Jeff, Your second colonoscope will be much easier than your first one because you'll know what to deal with correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: So, thanks for bringing such an unpleasant subject up again. I'm starving over here, I'm so hungry, I'm so low energy. But hopefully on the third well, on the Thursday episode, obviously, I'll be back and better than ever, so we'll be able to handle that.
Speaker 2: Right On this day. In two thousand and seven, Ricky Weeks, JJ Hardy, and Ryan Braun let off game first three hitters in the game for the Brewers with a home run. Third time in major league history that the first three batters had hit a home run in order to start a game. And the interesting part is JJ Hardy did it again, only he did it well. He was a member of the Orioles, so I just love that that he was a part of that in two different teams. You know, it's been done a bunch of times now, but when Hardy and Weeks and Brown did it in two thousand and seven, it was only the third time in major league history. First time, of course, was Marvell Win, Tony gwyn and John Cruck, which I always thought the win Gwynn Kruck was just beautiful, so perfect. All right, let's see nineteen. On this date, in nineteen fifty nine, Tom Foley was born. Tom Foley was a pretty good major league infielder who could do a lot of things and became a really good coach who I got very close to over the years as a coach, especially with the Tampa Bay Rays. What I always found interesting with him was when he was a coach with Rays, I found out through him that he, you know, he's the right handed player. Jeff shortstop, second baseman. He played quarterback in high school and he threw a football with his left hand. So here we have a right handed baseball player who played quarterback in high school and he threw a football with his left hand. I've never understood how it's a very similar motion Jeff. And on the same Tampa Bay team, the first baseman Travis Lee, a left handed thrower in baseball, played quarterback in high school and he threw a football with his right hand. So on the same team we had two guys who played quarterback in high school but used the other hand to throw than the one they throw a baseball with. And if that's not amazing enough, Tom Foley also played for the Pittsburgh Pirates. And on that team was a pitcher named Steve Cook who was a left handed pitcher. And what did he do, Jeff in high school?
Speaker 3: Quarterback with the right hand.
Speaker 2: Yes, So Tom Foley has been part of this bizarre you know this bizarre what's.
Speaker 3: The string of amid dexterity?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I couldn't even think of it. Yes, Jim Morrison, former Major leaguers said he was amphibious. He got amd dexterity, and yeah, so we used to joke that he could throw with both hands underwater. Amphibious. Yes, so I love that about Tom Foley. And the last thing Todd Todd Zeal on this date in nineteen sixty five was born. Now, Todd Zeal was a really good major league player for a long time, hit a bunch of home runs, and I always got a kick out of the fact that he used to be a catcher. And one day he caught Dan Quizinberry. So what's what's that, Jeff? You got figure it out. Todd Zeal caught Dan Quizonberry QZ QZ. So it took many, many, many more years when Barry Zito pitched to some guy forget his name, not important. His name began with a Q. But the last time that had happened was when a Q Dan Quisenberry threw to a Z Todd Zeal. Those are the things I pay attention to again, the reason I have nothing else to do with my life. And let's quiz you, Jeff Todd Zeal hit two hundred and fifty three homers in his career, so at one point, what was the distinction of the two fifty three? Since replaced by a guest of ours last year, he.
Speaker 1: Has the most home runs with the last name Z until Ryan Zimmerman.
Speaker 2: Jeff, you are really getting good at this. I am so proud of you. Thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, Well, tomorrow on the podcast, we have a very special guest. Jim Abbott is going to be joining us. We had him as a little sneak preview last week celebrating the anniversary of his no hitter for the New York Yankees, and now we have forty minutes of talking with him.
Speaker 3: That was so inspirational and so fantastic.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: I loved our conversation with him.
Speaker 2: Jeff, Inspirational doesn't do it justice. I mean we both had tears in our eyes at the end of that podcast, and we laughed through most of it because Jim Abbott has a great sense of humor. And so when anyone can make you think, and he can make you laugh and can make you cry all in one interview, that's what we got from Jim Abbott. So in his honor, I decided to let's see if you can figure out what the team Tim is with Jim Abbott. Yeah, I mean, I'm giving you no clue here, Jeff. And we're not going to go Jim's or Abbot's or you know, alphabets or anything else. What was one of the distinctions we brought up about Jim Abbott that still amazes me to this day. What did he not do in his major league career?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, right off the bat, I don't think you're thinking about a full team of players that only had one hand, because I don't think you would field that full team.
Speaker 3: No, what did he not do in his career? He did not play in the minor leagues? Hello, all right, Jae, how we found that out?
Speaker 2: Jeff? You are so you're getting so good at this, Jeff. Someday, Jeff, I'm going to be really good at country music. All right. I've already gotten over the country western music thing. But I'm going to be just as good in country music someday as you are in baseball, because you're getting better every day. So these are the guys I came up with who never spent a day in the minor leagues. Okay, John Olerude is our first baseman. Wo Frankie Frish whose birthday is today. Frankie Frish, oh Gas House Gang million years ago. Highest career batting average of any switch hitter in Major League history. I believe it's three seventeen. Bob Horner is our third baseman. And our dear friend Val Vandaventer, who played baseball with Uncle Matt at kathak You, who got drafted nineteen seventy eight, the same year that Bob Horner did. So the Braves brought all of their draft choices to Atlanta Fulton County Stadium to take batting practice to know this is the final destination. And Val great guy, great throwing arm. Val told me that he's looking around and he said every pitch to Bob Horner's Towell Guy was overrun in batting practice. And he kept looking at the other guys who were all drafted the same year and said, he's so much better than us, How can this be? While Bob Horner went to Arizona State, was unbelievably strong, short, short arms, really powerful, hit four homers in a major League game at but I just thought that was really cool that another draft choice that year looked at Bob Horner and good, oh my gosh, we got drafted the same year as that guy did. So cool. All right. The shortstop is Ernie Banks, and there's a bit of Ernie Banks played in the Negro leagues, but he never played in the minor league, so there's a difference there, but technically correct. Al Kayline, of course, won a batting title at age twenty. And what did I tell you once about al Kline? Jeff, what a great basketball player he was? Remember what I told you? What did he tell me once?
Speaker 3: I can't remember, You're gonna have to remind he said.
Speaker 2: He told me he was a better basketball player in high school than he was a baseball player. And he won a batting title at age twenty and never played in the minor leagues. Dave Winfield never played in the minor league. Well Ott never played in the minor leagues. Hall of Famer, though both those guys are Hall of famers. And of course Jim Abbott did not. Catfish Hunter didn't. A bunch of pitchers, including Bob Feller and Sandy Kofax, never played in the minor leagues. Our catcher, and I must say, if someone can help me on this, I can really use some help because I could not find a catcher who never played in the minor leagues. Now, I did find Brian Milner, who I remember well coming up with the Blue Jays. He went straight to the major leagues, but struggled for a while and went back to the minor leagues. I think for a really long time. It didn't have much of a major league career. But if any of our listeners can find a catcher who never played in the minor leagues, I'd sure like to know that, because I couldn't find it.
Speaker 1: Well, Dad, tomorrow, straight to the big leagues. Jim Abbott is going to be joining our podcast. It's going to inspire you, it's going to make you smile, it might make you cry. And special shout outs to some members of our family in that interview.
Speaker 2: And Jeff, let me just say one more time, the most underplayed story in all the years that I've covered baseball is how good Jim Abbott was playing his entire career. Of course without his right hand. I still don't think people appreciate how he was able to do that. It's just incredible. And yet, Jeff, as you know, instead of him saying, God, look how great I was. He never ever looked at it as a disability. He just said, I'm going to figure this out and he did. And that's what's so inspirational about his story, and we have him tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Wait until you hear what his dad had to say about My goodness, you're.
Speaker 2: Going to cry again just thinking about what it's bother said. So good.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 1: Don't miss the interview tomorrow with Jim Abbott, and as always, thank you for being a part of our family.