Speaker 1: Welcome to Jurassic Pals, the No Dunks summer podcast project where we're watching every movie from the Jurassic Park franchise.
Speaker 2: Today we tackle the.
Speaker 1: Head scratching sequel, The Lost World Jurassic Park. I'm Jay Skeets here in the Classic Factory, and alongside me, as always, he loves the baby Dinos tasmelas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, I sure do. I also love you just rolling off the Jurassic Pals. I think that's more entertaining than the actual movie.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, thank you. Next to him, next to task, don't let this guy loose in San Diego, it's the Bearded one, Trey Herby, Hey yo. And last but not least over Yonder, this is a man that knows that thirty minutes is half an hour. It's super producer JD. Hello, Hello, JD. One of the weirdest parts of this movie. Why did he say that we don't have a.
Speaker 2: Lot of clarification in this movie? I think, Oh boy boy.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you all checking out the podcast here. Maybe you're watching on YouTube. Hit the like button, subscribe, share the show, podcast listeners, five star ratings and reviews. Yes, this is our second Jurassic Park. Here from the entire movie franchise. We really loved Jurassic Park, the original ten out of ten.
Speaker 2: Go check out that.
Speaker 1: Pod if you haven't already. But this one, the Lost World Jurassic Park, came out May twenty three of nineteen ninety seven. The budget seventy three million, so they gave Spielberg another ten million from the first one. Here go have some fun with this. It did well.
Speaker 2: It's done well. Look it grossed.
Speaker 1: Nearly six hundred and twenty million dollars worldwide and it actually set a new opening weekend record at the time, so it popped for people to go see it. People were excited about the see absolutely, and then they probably left a little disappointed. The skinny is a research team is sent to the Jurassic Park site b Island to study the dinosaurs there, while an in gen team approaches with another agenda. Oh boy, run time about two hours and ten minutes too long? Is the answer?
Speaker 2: Stars Jeff Goldbloom. He's back.
Speaker 1: He's the main guy. This time. We got Julianne Moore, Pete Posselthwaite. Oh yeah, I hope I'm saying that correctly. Rest in Pete's rest in Pete to Pete Posselthwaite and then a young Vince Vaughan. It's also in this movie, and it's directed by Steven Spielberg for the final time. This will be his last go here in the Jurassic Park franchise. Obviously did the first one, that summer blockbuster that it was, and then he did a sequel, and he seemed to even hate this movie.
Speaker 4: He doesn't like doing sequels.
Speaker 1: No, he doesn't. Good for good reason, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't like doing sequels.
Speaker 5: And apparently Michael Crichton was basically asked to write a second book as well. He wrote it in Spielberg's like, Eh, some good ideas, but I got my own things I want to do. I'm only doing one sequel, so I'm jamming all.
Speaker 2: The ideas and here that I can.
Speaker 1: All right, let's make our way through this movie. We start with a look at and I'll say it correctly this time.
Speaker 6: Is La Sona.
Speaker 1: This is Site B, the code name for Site B here by the in Gen company. It's located eighty seven miles southwest of our og Dino island that we had in the first one. Is La Nublar, not Isla to island.
Speaker 4: We wish we know it's the Spanish word r.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 5: It's confirmed eighty seven miles away from the other island.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, yeah, they're all clustered, I guess together.
Speaker 2: That's a crazy plan.
Speaker 5: Eighty seven miles isn't that close to trans because what they're telling us is they're making the dinosaurs here and then traveling ninety miles nautically, Yeah, to bring the dinosaurs to the other place.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like if.
Speaker 5: John Hammond would have told people that's how they're producing the dinosaurs, it'd be like, no, way.
Speaker 2: That can't work. You can't transport a dino that far.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Every time we've seen a dinosaur transporter it goes.
Speaker 1: For Yeah, it's a weird logistics there that he decided to like fold into this whole play. Yeah. Well, we start this off with a British couple. They are vacationing there by the island on the island from their private yacht. They're sipping champagne, they're eating roast beef, they got some prawns on the way all and their youngest daughter, Kathy I think her name is, She wanders off down the beach doing a little beach step in and tweets, and she comes across the tiny little dinosaur and sort of feeds a little roast beef, and oh, here come a bunch of them, and I thought at first was eating alive, but we learned she'd later survive. But it is attacked, I guess by these tiny hungry dinosaurs. Yes, compies, Yes, yes, our first go of the company. We have not seen the compy, right, the debut film for the company.
Speaker 2: Does anybody else think that's just the baby Raptor?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: I was like, Oh, cool, baby raptor.
Speaker 5: We're gonna see the next big raptor come out and eat this girl, which is what I thought at first, because I don't remember this one nearly as well as I remember the first one, which I've watched a billion times. In this one I've probably seen like five times now, not as much replay value for me, but I definitely was like, oh, that's just like the baby raptor we saw hatch in the first one. Watch out for the parents coming next instead a swarm of babys which.
Speaker 2: Are now copies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a whole new thing here.
Speaker 2: I was confused.
Speaker 8: I think the copies are what killed doctor Malcolm in the first book?
Speaker 6: Interesting? Okay, I think so if I'm remembering correctly.
Speaker 8: And then you know, Cranton was asked to write a sequel and he's like, well, we're just going to bring doctor Malcolm back. Oh okay, but whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well funny, funny you say, bring them back because the British mom's scream dissolves into Jeff Goldbloom doctor Ian Malcolm. He is a doctor, right he is?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean he's technically a chaos mathematician, but I'm sure he has his doctorate in Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, in the first one we did Jurassic Pals, I definitely left doctor off a his name for a majority of the time.
Speaker 8: I said it, Yeah, and you were calling John Hammond doctor Hammond.
Speaker 4: He's no doctor.
Speaker 2: Oh I was. I think, is that a doctor degree? What about the coffees? Are they doctors?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: They do not have their PhD.
Speaker 3: Know anyway, Yeah, I was weirded out hearing Ian Malcolm actually because in the first one they just call him doctor Malcolm.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It doesn't seem like an Ian to me. She's more of a Jeff.
Speaker 5: I do love the cut though, from lady yelling to Malcolm yawning, and it looks like he's on an island somewhere, but he's really just standing in front of a poster.
Speaker 2: I thought that was pretty funny. I think it's my favorite shot of the entire movie. Wow, serious, Oh, this is awesome.
Speaker 1: And then it sort of goes downhill from there. But yeah, he's he's in the subway and he boards a train, and he's recognized by a bunch of passengers, right the one guy in particular coming up to him and trying to get something out of them. But all I kept thinking was like, whoa is that the Atlanta Marta. It looks like it's so identical, Yeah to the mart of those orange like hard bucket scenes. I thought it maybe was. I don't think it is.
Speaker 3: But and it was a super clean subway. It was part of the well, it didn't seem like New York either. Sitting with my my New York and wife Danielle said, whoa, that's clean, clear, cleaned the heck out of it. It felt really weird. Just the whole thing didn't smell like urine, like the whole.
Speaker 6: You know, the whole thing, the whole New York Vine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it didn't feel like that at all.
Speaker 1: So any anything from this, I mean, we can move with some pace here on the opening of this movie here with the British couple and the daughter and then into Malcolm.
Speaker 8: Well, I've been trying to keep a running tally of the worst parents in the franchise. You know, yeah, we thought that the lex and uh Tim's parents were the worst. But you know, I don't know, just letting your daughter wander off on a strange island not great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then again, like she was trying to make her like, hey, stay close. Just the dad was the one that was like, relax, We're on a private island here.
Speaker 2: What is she gonna do?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, And they don't know.
Speaker 8: There's I'm just trying to keep track of my ranking. So and Tim's parents still number one for now for now?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Do you think prawns are the most elitist food? Who shrimp?
Speaker 5: Shrimp for us peasants, but prawns are for the upper crust of society?
Speaker 3: It felt like to me, Yeah, it feels disgusting to me. I'm not a prawn man.
Speaker 6: You a shrimpman.
Speaker 2: Well, it depends on the day.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I think they're disgusting. Gosh, the floor of the ocean. No, thank you, they are bugs. There are the ocean's bugs. Depends on the day. But I just never saw. I just didn't know prawns were a thing in Eastlesorna, but I guess they are.
Speaker 1: My takeaway as a fan that watches Below Deck and j D, I can't if you do, or yeah, like you know how they're on the yacht. They're on these this beautiful yacht, the super Yacht. They're well staffed, of course, everything you want there, But then it feels like every episode of Blow Deck, the people want to go to a private beach and then you got to pack up everything. If you're the chef and you're the staff, and you got to take the tables, you gotta take the tents, you gotta take the barbecue and all that, it's always a night, huge pan of it. It's the biggest pain in the ice. That's all I could think about with these poor staff here.
Speaker 2: The super had an elaborate set up, incredible.
Speaker 1: What do you think they got tipped.
Speaker 6: At the end.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, when they hand them the envelope, it's a big part. Well, they would have got nothing. Their daughter was attacked by dinosaurs, and you know they're going to blame it on them. Well because of the why do you bring us to this island the.
Speaker 2: Scent of the prawns cops.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Malcolm shows up at this big sort of mansion here and we.
Speaker 2: Meet Lex and Tim.
Speaker 1: They're bay for thirty seconds if that. They're on screen for like a minute.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And I even forgot because it was so quick. I thought they just showed up later because they show up later.
Speaker 1: No, this is their only camps.
Speaker 2: Are only Lex and Tim. I popped.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, they're gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they like hug him. And then obviously it gets into doctor Malcolm meeting Hammond's nephew Peter Ludlow, who is the new CEO of Engen, who accuses Malcolm of spreading false rumors about the Jurassic Park incident for payment, right, And this is like Peter saying, ah, you you signed the NDA and then you proceeded to violate violate the agreement and as such, his tenure at the university was rescinded, his reputation left in tatters. And this is where we're at. But there's a lot of exposition here in this first stage of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and doesn't.
Speaker 5: Ludlow also basically kind of confirms what the random dude on the subway was saying. He's like, nobody believes what you said happened on the island, doctor Malcolm. It's totally fine out there, and then he hits him with the ultimate diss. This suit costs more than your education. That's an expensive suit. Malcolm to the school to become a doctor. Yeah, six years.
Speaker 6: Minimum minimum, Yeah, minimum.
Speaker 2: And this is the nineties.
Speaker 5: We got probably like a fifty thousand dollars suit easily and doesn't Peter here, does it exists the nephew or the new He says something like you're the only one breaking the NDA too, implying there, but it's true yet left dress part he even says, like Lex and Tim, they've kept it tight.
Speaker 2: Left getting live exactly.
Speaker 1: So we then have Malcolm going up to a bedridden John Hammond, he's back in this movie, and he tells Malcolm, hey, sight b man, it was breeding site for the dinosaurs. So he as he puts it, Soorna is the factory floor and New Blar is the showroom. And this is like, again, what you were saying, Treyla, Wow, that was a weird decision.
Speaker 2: Very weird.
Speaker 5: Just like I would want to have as little dinosaur interaction as possible.
Speaker 2: Grow them in the place where you're to keep them, Yeah, grow them.
Speaker 1: And show them simple. And then I mean it gets worse because we learned that they had a hurricane Clarissa, and then that happened on Soorna here, and then all the dinosaurs were left free to Rome, and Hammon says, like, for four years, the dinosaurs have just lived in a natural environment without human intervention. Uh, and they're in their own social groups and it's going great. But I did like this. Malcolm was like, hey, I thought you breeded these things with that lyzine deficiency. You know, like if you don't give it to them, they die. Shouldn't they be dead? Is basically always saying. So that was good at least a little call back to the first one. But Hammon's answer is just like, hey man, you were right. Life finds a way. So that's the setup. And then Hammon, who like I thought, was on his deathbed and like dying, he sort of like pops out of bed.
Speaker 2: He's suddenly got like some energy. Grandpa Joe from Chocolate Back.
Speaker 8: Any opportunity to send somebody to their most certain death just fills him with life and effervescent.
Speaker 6: You know that's right.
Speaker 5: He's like, I got one more live here, I do.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like they make him look like the devil in this seat.
Speaker 5: He's dressed in black and red. His bushy eyebrows, I feel like are intentionally turned up so they're horrid. Like he's even like a flushed I feel like his skin is pretty red. So the guy is in the first one, he's like supposed to be a little bit angelic, I think, and dressed in all white.
Speaker 2: Not so much. In this one, they're like, this guy sucks.
Speaker 1: But you kept saying our first Jurassic pals, this guy's the villain. This guy's the villain man, And like, I think they've leaned into it here definitely, because his plan is Hammond's plan is he wants Malcolm to lead a team to find out how are these dinosaurs even surviving? Like what's going on there?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: Again, Malcolm's like that's crazy, bro, Like what there's no fences even, Like why would we go, Hey, don't worry, the carnivores stay in the interior of the island.
Speaker 2: So if you guys stay.
Speaker 1: On the outer rim, you're safe. He even says, very low impact light left.
Speaker 4: Come on.
Speaker 3: Man, just happens too quickly too. Hammond sets up the whole fricking movie at four line bank, bang bang bang, and then here comes Malcolm when he's leaving, with his line of it's not a research expedition, it's a rescue operation and it's leaving now. And then the dramatic music already like it's way too early. It all happens way too early. It was so slow and so all worthy, the first one, the wondering what was happening, the wonderment about all and here's just like bop, it's over.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Hammond says, I got a site B team.
Speaker 1: It's gonna consist of Nick van Owen, that's gonna be Vince Vaughn, a videographer, Eddie Carr played by Richard Schiff, a field equipment expert, an unnamed palaeontologist that they just sort of snip over. I mean, we'll get to in one second, but like an unnamed that killed me and of course yeah yeah, and of course Malcolm will be the fourth. So Peter is opposed to this idea. He wants to use Site B for Profits to take in Gen out of Chapter eleven bankruptcy. After the incident with this British couple. The basically the board took control from in Gen from Hammon. So Hammond says, look, the only way to get this backer to save this is to get public support to stop all this commercial exploitation. So that's why this, uh, this thing's even happening, this mission, if you want to call it that, send these four in document everything, and that's going to win the people over and then we'll guess, keep these animals alive.
Speaker 2: Hey, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 5: Don't trust Hammond he wants to keep the animals alive, telling you right here, But I think great line by Malcolm. You went from a capitalist to a naturalist in just four years. That's that's something.
Speaker 1: And this is very cute line too, because Sir Richard Attenborough, who is Hammon not doctor? I almost said it, JD. His brother is naturalist, Sir David Attenburg. Damn, you just turn into your brother four years. Very confusing in the movie. So Malcolm refuses Hammond's offer. Okay, that's smart, but and then he sort of alluded to it. He's like, oh, your girlfriend's there. That palaeontologist that I didn't name, Sarah Harding, which is Julianne Moore. She's already there, man. She's got a great flight, good deal on a flight out.
Speaker 2: She went get their early scout locations.
Speaker 1: And the other additional members are to meet her there. And that's is where Malcolm's like, you sent my girlfriend to this island alone. And Malcolm says, yeah, this is now a rescue mission because now I gotta go get sir mm hmm okay.
Speaker 8: And there's a weird moment where I Hammond is like Goldblum says that it's a rescue mission. Then he turns around and he's like he's like counting on his fingers.
Speaker 6: He's like.
Speaker 8: And he goes, ah, yes, I got it, and continues on like what Like he's like, I've got everybody like whatever happened, Like he's going under duress, but I got everybody's so.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, I don't know, Like and.
Speaker 8: There is a moment where he's handing him the binders of the you know, here's a nick and here's such and such, and he holds he holds the palaeontologist close to his breast.
Speaker 6: I'm not I can't reveal who it is just yet, just yet.
Speaker 8: That'll be my ace in the hole, you know, like your girlfriend's there in your face?
Speaker 1: Well, also, how long has she been there? Like they live together.
Speaker 6: It's like, do you didn't notice she was gone?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They tried to cover their tracks. I thought. She has a line later like like I'm always traveling.
Speaker 3: I'm always on the road and you love Yeah, I try to love that.
Speaker 1: I love it when you're gone.
Speaker 4: He likes to get married and stuff. You know.
Speaker 5: One of the craziest parts of this scene to me is right at the end, Malcolm makes a call and he holds his phone in his right hand on the love side of space.
Speaker 2: Chaos. You never expect it of the time to the right ear this one time.
Speaker 6: It goes to the he's holding binders, isn't he stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe there's some weird hand gestures. Malcolm gives him the get out here. It's a real there's some weird stuff in that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So okay, Malcolm goes and meets this team right because now he's got to speed things up because he's got to go rescue Sarah. Who's there by herself on this island, this sight beat with all the dinosaurs that are like just roaming free. So he meets his team. It's it's Nick and Eddie. Nick again is Vince Vaughan. We get right away that Vince Vaughn, I mean Nick is like a ladies man.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: But then nothing comes with that, right, Nope, joined Greenpeace for the women.
Speaker 8: Yeah, eight women and Google that it's not true at least there's no there's no proof of.
Speaker 1: That, right, And then we meet Malcolm's daughter. Okay, we meet Vilcom's daughter, Kelly played by Vanessa Lee Chester and she wants to come along on the expedition, but Malcolm explains that she can't go. And man, we had this was a long scene. I thought between her and her dad were we learned that she likes the sega, which I was like respect, and that she was cut from her gymnastics team and that's going to pay off of course later, But like I also was struggling like hell in this scene to figure out, like, what is the family dynamic here?
Speaker 2: What is going on?
Speaker 1: Who's with who?
Speaker 2: Where's the mom you're with? Julianne Moore say.
Speaker 1: Like it was a little confusing, and even Vince Vaughn's character was like, I don't he made a joke about the resemblance. It's like, Okay, she's adopted of some sort or whatever. But I don't know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know exactly.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I buy that Malcolm has kids that we wouldn't have heard about. Sure, right, because in the first one he knows to like be worried for the kids when he's sitting in the jeep with Grant when the Tyrannosaurus attack is happening, He's like, the kids are scared, and like Grant hadn't even thought about the kids. We know he has multiple ex wives because in the first one he's looking for the next future X.
Speaker 2: This is Malcolm. So I kind of like it that they're just like he.
Speaker 1: Has a black daughter. Yeah, And I was like, oh, he has a black daughter. It's not yeah, for sure, it's not the race of the daughter. It is just like, did we really need a daughter.
Speaker 6: Or a kid at all in this movie?
Speaker 1: Right? And they you know, they warned in for sure to get her out there, yeah, because she'll show up. Yeah.
Speaker 3: They never reveal with mom is his previous relationship. It doesn't it doesn't matter. Apparently Melacunas, young Mela Cunas, was also in the role for this for his daughter, but they decided different direction and she was great later Chester.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, dude, to Malcolm's insistence to leave asap, Eddie's got to shave off three days from his parture timeline. He seems a little stretched the stressed because he's not being able to test all this equipment. Uh that will sort of be important later too. So anyway, they head out, Okay, I guess, he says by in theory to Kelly color a cat. She took a cap there. Maybe just call her one for a relieve. Malcolm, Eddie, and Nick transport to Mercedes SUVs and a modified r V.
Speaker 2: They go to Costa.
Speaker 1: Rica, I think first, and then they head to Cite B. There's a quick scene thrown in here with a panicked boat captain, right.
Speaker 2: All right, yeah, yeah, you're right. And I just didn't know.
Speaker 1: Where they were when that was happening, but I guess that's where they were anyway, And this is where we learned what the locals called the islands. I thought for sure he was going to say they call them the Lost World. He doesn't the Five Deaths, okay.
Speaker 5: Los cinko'sos cinco muertes, right, yeah, And we even got a scene of Kelly like looking at the map and seeing it and instantly what I saw. You know, I took three years of high school Spanish, so I'm pretty knowledgeable in this sort of thing. I was like, Oh, the Islands of Death, but if you didn't take Spanish in high school. Thirty seconds later they explained that it is the Islands of Death. I looked up the names of all the islands they have there. Ela Matankeros butchers butcher Island. I guess, elam Werta death, Yeah, East La Sorna sarcasm, Yeah, weird, weird Sorna sarcasm. I suppose Takana mean like being mean, and East Lapaina sorrow or grief. I mean they got fair names, though, I think sarcasm is maybe a little left of those ones.
Speaker 1: And so it's called the Five Deaths by the locals now because of what happened when they get the names.
Speaker 2: I don't know, yeah, great question.
Speaker 6: Maybe they're just cursed. The islands are cursed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe if they're an extra curse now, or they renamed them after the experiments.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, he did have five deaths in Jurassic Park the original, did we not if we count Jeoffrey, the poor guy that had to lift up the cage, counting him? Yeah, okay, that's because I think there was four others.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, wow. Interesting.
Speaker 8: I mean, look, they're probably cursed because Hammond got them for a steal. The guy is cheap, right, yeah, like he runs a skeleton.
Speaker 1: Crew, no expensive spare.
Speaker 6: Except for islands and it tea and.
Speaker 1: Something to uh you know, automatically open a cage door.
Speaker 3: And the Great Malcolm Jamal Warner just passed away swimming off the coast of Costa Rica.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's where he was.
Speaker 1: So on the island, Eddie, Malcolm and Nick come across a few giant stegasauruses. I guess those were yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they wanted to bring the stegosaurus back.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 1: They're big, they're big. They're stumbling across and they're going through and then you know they're they're trying to find Sarah and she's right there either were using obviously something on her backpack, homing beacon on her backpack. But this is where we first meet Sarah and man, she's a firecracker. She is a firecracker. She borrows Nick's camera right away, even though she has one. She touches a baby's dinosaur's head right away. Her camera then starts freaking out because it's like, you know, running out of film, starts making crazy noises that pisses off the baby dinosaur, which then pisses off the herd. She escapes, though, and then she has the nerve. While they're walking away, Nick goes to light up a cigarette, hold onder your butts here we go, and Sarah tells him not to do that, quote, We're here to observe and document, not interact. She just touched a dinosaur that's interacting. That's much a cigarette. I'm sorry, that was weird. So I don't know if we're supposed to like her, I guess right away, but I hated her immediately because like, you are a hypocrite. That was my opinion.
Speaker 8: I mean, look, Julianne Moore is wasted in this movie. She's not the only one, obviously, but you know when we first made her, there's that there's her just messing with nature in general, Like she's the worst wildlife photographer of all time, you know, like you know that you're when your film runs out, it's going to automatically rewind, like and you don't touch the wildlife.
Speaker 6: That's rule number one. Yeah, that's right, that's.
Speaker 1: The wa biggest problem.
Speaker 8: And then when she sees Malcolm, she just starts blabbering this palaeontology bullshit. It's not even exposition. I don't think like, it's just like I figured out that this and that and that. She just seems like a complete idiot. You know, I'm like, this is the person you came to rescue. Leave her there, like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Get out now, man? Get out?
Speaker 1: Exactly Well, she does say too, I guess important things. She says, the herbivores are eating a lyceine rich diet that's helping them survive. Literally, who cares?
Speaker 8: You are right to be explained all but also you could could have just left it at.
Speaker 6: They found a way. Life found a way, right. We don't need her, like.
Speaker 8: You know, there's it did not ring true, like you know your girlfriend's missing, you know, you find her on this death island and then it's just like.
Speaker 1: The other thing she says, though, it says that she can prove now that the t rex does not abandon their young as is the current accepted norms of their behavior. So that's what you know, a lot of the scientists are saying and thinking. But she's like, I don't think so, of course that's going to be like a whole storyline here.
Speaker 6: Just tell us that one thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you know what, I sort of agree.
Speaker 5: Trying to prove that Dinohs are good parents, That's what I'm out here trying to.
Speaker 2: I do like what they're searching for. And they're yelling Sarah Sarah, and Nick yells Sarah.
Speaker 5: Hardy Malcolm says, how many Sarahs do you think are on the island?
Speaker 4: That was good?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is there not a callback to that joke? Later in the movie, doesn't gold Blue yell? He yells somebody's full name? Where to Gods?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're probably right.
Speaker 1: But nobody like addresses it. But they're yelling the what is Who's he yelling for? It must it's got to be either maybe Kelly or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's yelling for somebody, right, And I swear he yells the first name and then he says full name. But it's later in the movie, nice so what a payoff? Okay, So yeah, they're all together here and suddenly they see that there's a fire back at camp and they're like, who the heck started that quick fire?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a quick little fire going.
Speaker 1: Get Kelly on Survivor man Dominate and yeah, Kelly pops out of the RV because she has secretly stowed herself on this trip. So Kelly's there.
Speaker 8: What a bummer when she shows up, you know what I mean? You know she's gonna you know, she walks into a working work site, like there's sparks flying everywhere. It's like, oh, this seems like a pretty good place to stow away in. And then she's there and it's just like, good, now there's a kid, yeah to deal with forget.
Speaker 5: So where does that put a doctor in? Malcolm only was I.
Speaker 2: Mean, he did bring her to the hangar.
Speaker 5: He didn't expect for her to stow away, right, But if he would have never called her.
Speaker 2: There, she would have never had a chance.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 6: And he did say the line never listened to me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, at least he's self deprecating enough to realize he's a shitty parent, you know what I mean. But and he's also, you know, there's a lot lot of like hands drop that he's unreliable. It's like, I just need you to, you know, be there when I need your He's aloof for sure, But is he in the top?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I mean, because we have to believe that he didn't really even say I mean, he's when did he say by door ye to.
Speaker 2: Kelly at that hangar? He said bye?
Speaker 1: And I guess like didn't see her get in a cab and leave for something, and she just he was just trying. She just went in the RV.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we thought you'd grab a kid ten year old, that's what he said, right, Yeah, yeah, to some degree, he didn't say by.
Speaker 1: Her established he did.
Speaker 8: I thought it was like when he walked away from the office they had the confrontation and yeah, he's just like your mother took off to Paris. I don't know what to do with you. And then he walks away and says, just don't listen to me. And then I think that was a goodbye.
Speaker 2: Figure it out.
Speaker 8: Staying with this person who doesn't have Sega, the chocolate datee or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeahcolate, yeah, yeah, okay, cool, my favorite dinosaur I.
Speaker 1: Know totally okay. So now now we cut to Peter Ludlow flying in Roland Tembo. That is Pete apostle Thwaite. He's a big game hunter. They're coming. He's coming in with his entire assault team here and the equipment, and they're going to round up these various dinosaurs for Engen and Roland tells us he wants to kill a t rex. That's his fee for the assignments, right, that's sick, man, that's some sick stuff. And we're right into a scene where they just start snatching up dinosaurs and he's trying to figure out the names of these things.
Speaker 2: He's like me doing my notes.
Speaker 1: He's like, screw it, get the friar tuck looking one, Get the eldest looking one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: And they're having some success here in this like I guess first real action sequence where all the dinosaurs are running around and there's like, man, they.
Speaker 2: Came with a bunch of people. Yeah, a lot of vehicles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got to quite the crew together pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: But I guess uh.
Speaker 5: Nick tells us eventually he's like, yeah, I knew these guys were coming, so we had to finish our work before they got here, which obviously didn't happen. But I do like that they're showing us the contrast of like, look, every other person we've met so far in the franchise, including the first movie, like they're there because they want to see dinosaurs, because they're interested in dinosaurs, and like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Meanwhile, the majority of these guys are just like, let's go to mess up some dinosaurs. We don't care anything about these. We got Pete possel Towait throwing away the key to the dinosaurs because the other thing want to mess around with any name that isn't t Rex. These guys are just complete savages going out there to be mercenaries, right, And I think that's completely different than what the other team is showing and what we have seen thus far.
Speaker 2: So you know we're going right away. These guys are dickheads.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then there's the one guy on their team that does seem to know stuff.
Speaker 5: I don't know if he ever got a name, Big Old Beard Long. Yeah, yeah, I only have him as in my notes.
Speaker 1: They literally have to have him there so he could say the proper name, like thank you. So then the timeline was weird here to me, I think we jumped right to like the next morning, because this is where we have role in finding the infant t Rex. It was like, okay, we just jumped right to the next day.
Speaker 6: I thought that was just later in the day.
Speaker 1: That night, I thought it got I thought they were doing all their hunting. It got dark, and then it's the t rex scene. The infant t rex is like morning again.
Speaker 2: Or is it dark?
Speaker 1: I can't. Oh, it's dark, so it's it's night. So it's the same day, well, same day. Maybe could be the next morning for all I know. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The t rex is chained up, little baby, like I'm hunting right away.
Speaker 5: You guys set up camp. Yeah, I'll be back with a t rex and momentarily yeah.
Speaker 1: And they chain it up and they're hoping the cries are going to bring the parents to the base and that that's where they can hunt them down. And that t rex, that little baby t Rex, it's whaling like a mother. It's going crazy.
Speaker 4: Apparently they used a baby camel for that sound.
Speaker 2: The sound, yeah, and then once you hear.
Speaker 3: It the entire time, close your eyes and that's a camel crying.
Speaker 4: It's so Samuel L.
Speaker 1: Jackson was still alive to pop in say somebody say, Cammel, but your humps. So later that night, I guess then Hammon's crew sneaks up on the Dino snatchers. Peter is making a presentation to the engine board about his plan, which is this dinosaur themed park in San Diego. Weird blind thrown in here. You know how great at play San Diego was for this, he says, San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld and the San Diego Chargers. Yeah, what lost me on the Chargers part animals, the standibals man. Uh so yeah, he has like I mean, poor Eddie's struggling with all his equipment. They've got a full Zoom meeting going like yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm impressed.
Speaker 5: Actually yeah, I know in Gen like Engen should have gotten into the technology game rather than just straight up the dinosaur de extincting game, because we saw in the first one they basically invented Weymouth thirty years earlier. They have electric self driving cars, and then that's when they're doing Zoom twenty five years before Zoom comes out, Like they were onto some really good technology stuff and I guess that was just like to.
Speaker 2: Finance the dinosaur projects.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they could have probably done well and killed way fewer people if they just would have continued down the path of making consumer products.
Speaker 3: So this is like, was it Kelly or maybe I'm mixing up, like these are hacking abilities?
Speaker 2: She could have taken over the company exactly, she could have.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, this is what you're saying is like Apple and their technology and their phones and computers. But then you know, pivoting into uh movies, ridiculous. Yeah, they're like, we got all get this funny, let's just do other things. Yeah, that's what they're doing here. So Nick infiltrates the base camp, he frees the dinosaurs, and they recavoc here on this base camp, and that's when Roland then inspects the cages and he really realizes they've been sabotaged and that they're not alone on this island, and that was not dinosaurs that let these dinosaurs out of the cage.
Speaker 6: That was humans.
Speaker 1: So that's where we are. Any thoughts on this whole scene here, JD with what's going on.
Speaker 8: Well, look when they're chasing the dinosaurs, when they first get there, you know, I think it's supposed to be like a showstopping wow, like.
Speaker 6: We're in it.
Speaker 8: We're like we are riding motorbikes underneath dinosaurs and it's cool. It did not look great, like compared to the wonder and awe of you know, seeing the dinosaurs. Like I like that they were trying to move. We're further with it, like yeah, now we're not just looking at them. We're hunting dinosaurs. And like just this action sequence where we got vehicles, we got you know, this weird chair that comes out of the jeep for some reason, like you know, sort of mad Max, like yeah, yeah, when the motorcycle goes under the whatever it is, the big dinosaur. I'm like, this is not this is stupid, like like this is dumb. And then you know Tembo's sort of speech about his fee.
Speaker 6: And you know, like this is not a blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely nailed by Parcel Thwaite, but horrible dialogue and like this whole thing of they're in a bumpy jeep and he's like this big monologue and he's just like I have two conditions blah blah blah blah blah. You know it's just like good. I mean it's fine. I guess like any other actor wouldn't be able to pull it off. But pussel Thwait's great, and you know, like the jump to oh we are not alone on this island. I'm like, you brought a hundred guys, like you think it might have been one of your dude sabotage But anyways, yeah, I mean it's fine whatever.
Speaker 6: Like I don't know, I.
Speaker 3: Do like the chairs being ejected out from each cool ahead of the time, good tech.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what is the purpose of it though, Like, so you can just get a better, better, you know, rope on I guess so, I guess rope the technologies there?
Speaker 4: Do they drive under a stegosaurus? Is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That's why the ones we couldn't name in the first because.
Speaker 8: Those are those are el size right, Okay, it was big enough for a motorcycle?
Speaker 1: Was it the Elvis one? Maybe?
Speaker 6: Maybe? I think I might have Elvis.
Speaker 2: We mostly got a shot of its legs.
Speaker 5: I do like when the triceratops starts raging through the camp after making them like release them at the investor call.
Speaker 2: I think that's pretty good. Now I'm getting excited.
Speaker 5: I'm like Oka right, we're gonna get some dinosaur raging and then something it's over. Yeah, just like the tiniest taste of dinosaur not enough for me.
Speaker 2: But I think you're totally right.
Speaker 5: It's like in the first one they have that moment when they get to Jurassic Park, we get the awe, but kind of like the genies out of the bottle, they can't really do that the exact same way.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 5: We get tiny moments of people like in the jeeps driving along and they're like, oh cool, you know, they are like still wowed to see the dinosaurs. But because they did that whole the whole first half of the first movie is you know, the beauty of the dinosaurs and the friendliness of the herbivores. They don't do that in the second one because they can't just totally repeat themselves.
Speaker 2: I know, like the herbivores are dangerous.
Speaker 5: Right, you know, And I think that is kind of like indicative of the way this whole movie goes. It's like everything's a little bit more serious and dark and dangerous for the second one compared to the first one. And what we liked about the first one was that they had the contrast in style whereas with this one, it's just like murders right away.
Speaker 4: It's just as man anything.
Speaker 1: Look, there's no fenses. Man Nick though, he saves the injured infant t Rex and he brings it to the r V for medical attention. So they've got it here in the r V and they're, you know, they're they're fixing it, and he takes off his belt to like wrap up its mouth so it doesn't you know, sort of bite them or whatever. And oh my god, there's a fly in here in case exactly. Uh, and Sarah's helping, and they're trying to fix its leg, you knows.
Speaker 2: Chopping away. I need something that he said can be possibly you. Oh well slights again.
Speaker 3: Well she says spit and he literally spits his and she.
Speaker 4: Said, gum, yeah that's right, dummy, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 8: Dummy is correct, because these fucking morons are bringing a baby t Rex into their trailer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're more they're morons.
Speaker 2: And what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Told us, yeah that she is learned that they will go nuts in protecting their infant, and it's like, oh no, it's not like we thought t Rex has baby, and just like, yeah, screw get out of here, baby, we don't care about you anymore.
Speaker 8: They're not like that at all, Right, And to your earlier point, she made a point of being like, well, we can't interfere here, Like even though Posselthwaite probably purposefully broke its leg to lure the t Rex, you still can't. You just it's just the stupidest thing you could do. And when you're when your characters are morons, are like, I don't care about them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So well they're in this r V and at one point I thought it happened like really quickly, but like Kelly starts freaking out. She's like suddenly like this is a bad idea coming here. Yeah, maybe it's seeing the wailing baby in you know, infant t rex on the table or something. But she starts panicking. So her and Malcolm go and join Eddie in the in the high Tide, high Hide, high hide, Yeah, high hide, thank you elevated basket thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, what was the.
Speaker 1: Point of this thing? I mean.
Speaker 2: That was one where I was like, oh, this will pay off.
Speaker 5: You made it because they show us like what they're at the hangar or whatever, right, and he's kind of like going through Eddie's going through all of the different things that he's bringing that he hasn't tested yet and included as the High Hide, and Malcolm's like, oh, perfect convenient, biting hype, right right, You're thinking Eddie is going to get chomped out of that, sure, sure, but no, they just use it to hide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you never heard of Chekov's High Hide.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, what's funny too, is like Malcolm takes her Kelly up with Eddie or they get up there in the High Hide and then he's like, up there, he calls back to the r V. No answer, Yeah, so he like repels down like ten seconds later. Yep, He's like, I guess you're safe now. You didn't want to be in the RV let me go back. Yeah, you just stay with Eddie pouring rain out, barely any coverage to this thing. She's got no jacket on. I'm sure it's warm, but we very well. So, yeah, he repels down, and he's just making some fascinating decisions in my mind.
Speaker 6: Oh totally.
Speaker 8: I mean, look, let me ask the dads in the room, are you leaving your child in the High Hide by yourself? By herself? So you can go rescue your soon to be ex girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not literally left her hanging.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's crazy, it's a crazy decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it should have been like Mario Kart, you know in the Renegade round up where they have these high heights.
Speaker 4: Everybody's got to go together, you get released together.
Speaker 3: Okay, all I want right going together. You're not just leaving your child there. Yes, that's a hard, hard No, dog, you can't.
Speaker 4: You just can't.
Speaker 2: So Malcolm makes it back to the r V.
Speaker 1: But this is where the team is attacked by the adult t Rexes. Yes plural, there's more than one. There's a cool part. We got both of them on both sides of the RV. We're doing we're doing some big Dino looking through window work here. But yeah, that's that's fine to play that. Sure that hit again and you're double it up. Now they're on both.
Speaker 8: This is by far the best scene in the movie for me. The trailer, the whole trailer sequence.
Speaker 1: Oh, the whole trailer sequence. I think it goes on at all too long when it's off the clan. But Sarah says, they're not hunting. They came for their infant. Yep, yep, we knew that. So they open the door. They give the baby t Rex back, just give back to them. They'll probably take it and leave. But they're not done. They're not done. No, no, no, they're still angry. So this is where they flip the r V and they push it over a cliff and it's teetering over the edge. I guess like at least half of the r V is hanging off the edge. The other is sort of on land.
Speaker 3: That's the weird part because the dinos disappear after. Yeah, they finished the job, that's good enough. Yeah, they get distracted, left, they leave and come back and leave and come back like three times, right, don't they.
Speaker 4: Sort of definitely, yeah, definitely twice they get the.
Speaker 8: Baby back, they leave, then gold blooms about to get on the radio and he's like, oh, this is gonna be bad. They get smashed up, and they leave again. I think it's three times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they definitely come back for Eddie.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yes, I guess they hear the but yeah, why wouldn't they just finish the job, and it's.
Speaker 1: Just knock the felt Well, it's teetering over the edge and Sarah falls onto the window on the one end of the thing, and this is where we get the hole like it's cracking. The art scene, it's like, are they gonna be able to get to her in time? And something else is about to drop and break it? Right, that's that's the thing. Nick vin Vaughn's trying to grab satellite phone. Satellite phone, right, Yeah, And of course Malcolm's trying to get to her, and he catches her just before it breaks her while it breaks the help of that lucky backpack. What a movie for this backpack. It comes to a couple of times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she doesn't heed her own advice at all when it comes to not interfering, because every chance she gets she interferes. But she was one hundred percent right about the lucky backpack. Yeah, it comes in handy all on. Yes, I love anytime in a movie there's a slow cracking scene. Oh yeah, I think is awesome. So she's hanging or she's laying like on the glass, and as she's slowly moving her hands and her fingers, it's like little spider webs coming out and we know, like the clock is ticking on it, she's gonna fall soon enough. You'll see that like on ice or something like an iced over Lake. I always think it's cool.
Speaker 1: I'm with this scene up until this point, like if it had ended soon after they catch her, but it actually goes on for a lot longer because he got the whole eddy sort of saving them. Yeah, because he hustles back. He now leaves Kelly in the high hide. So he's coming back and he's trying to save them. He's trying to save them with the rope that he's tied to a tree. And then he attaches his car to the RV with like the steel wrench cable like to the you know, with to his truck, and then you know, this is what he's doing. He's got two things going right. He's got them on the rope and he has some complications with that, and then he's obviously got the truck part. Got complications with that because the t Rex has come back, like you said, yeah, and he eventually gets eaten.
Speaker 3: He can't decide what to do. It's like he's on the hamster wheel. Does he just start working? He's like this way or that way? This way you just can't can't grapple it.
Speaker 8: I mean, that's what I like about it, and that's why I think it works. It's it on paper. It feels tedious, and I can see how somebody would think it's this is going on way too long.
Speaker 6: But I don't know.
Speaker 8: It'd worked for me, just be just the tension of them being stuck at the bottom of this thing and him trying to work out how am I going to do this? And then he gets eaten by a t rex.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was getting a little confused with the ropes and what was to and where the heck everything was. But you know, I went back and I did look at it again. I was like, Okay, it does make sense what he's trying to do, right, yep. But he's got a lot to do. There's two t rexes coming.
Speaker 8: Back exactly single handedly trying to you know, save these people while fending off t rexes, and he's just it. He's stuck in the mud, he's slipping all over the place, and then the gun gets stuck right Like, It's just it's kind of frustrating to watch, but also like you're like, holy shit, I it worked for me.
Speaker 1: Tough death for our guy Eddie. Yeah, oh yeah, double chump tossed in the.
Speaker 5: Air, yeah yeah, pop corn in their mouths, Hey, toss me up.
Speaker 1: I would have liked to have seen the two dinosaurs, the two Texas do a little lady in tramp with them. They would have kissed it.
Speaker 2: Meet me at the belts. Yeah, his air bag goes off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a good part. So yeah, long scene, but goodbye Eddie. H don't worry though.
Speaker 3: Ten minutes is how long it took, is what it was. From the Dino push. I did go back, not to get all analytics.
Speaker 1: Just from the first Dino push.
Speaker 4: Yeah to that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, maybe it feels like an even longer scene because we are with them in the r V for a good chunk before that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Please think of the orders.
Speaker 5: Three cheeseburgers, no onions for Nick and an apple turnover for Sarah.
Speaker 1: The most like craziest things are happening to these people for them to throw some I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was an interesting time.
Speaker 1: That was an interesting time to have some fun.
Speaker 8: It does happen in Jurassic Park, which we love. The tone is different. Look, Jeff Goldblum is different in this movie. He is thrust into the leading men position. He is in dad mode, and you know, when you're in dad mode, you're kind of less fun you know, like he's it's easier for him to be wisecracking and like, you know, when he's just observing the action, you know, rather than being in the action, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and as he said, Julian Moore just wasn't peak Julian Moore.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 8: And also I'll say Vince Vaughan should have easily stepped into that role of the wisecracking smart ass, you know what I mean, because look, Spielberg saw him in Swingers, a rough cut his Swingers apparently we're talking about And you know, the guy has comedy chops. He's been in some of the best comedies ever, you know, in the last whatever the next ten years of his career. Like, he has comedy chops. He's just as funny as as Jeff Goldblum in a different way. He could have easily been like wisecracking and you know, just being that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But like Trace said this, the tone of this movie is, right, so much darker and serious.
Speaker 8: And yeah, but like if if he's a like doctor Malcolm in the first movie is a bit of an asshole, right, like clearly, so make Vince Vaughan the bit of an asshole.
Speaker 6: He is a bit of an asshole.
Speaker 8: In this movie, but you know, just make him funny, and those kind of lines feel better coming from an asshole in a tense situation, I guess, is my point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with it.
Speaker 5: That's why to me, Vince Vaughn's best scene is when he meets Ian Malcolm and they're talking about greenpeace for women.
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, how noble of He's like, noble was last year.
Speaker 5: This year, I'm getting paid, And that to me is like Vince Vaughn in double down Trent mode. And that's when he's at his best in any movie, is when he's like the fast talking, snip talking ye asshole guy and he knows exactly yeah, exactly it. He doesn't get to do that nearly enough in this I don't think.
Speaker 1: No his I mean, his role in this movie not a lot.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 5: Now he goes from being a photographer to being like an eco terrorist.
Speaker 4: You mentioned getting paid. Let me just throw this in here. Apparently.
Speaker 3: Julian Moore later admitted that she only signed on because she was trying to pay off her divorce settlement with John gold Rubin, but she did want to work with Steven Spielberg that she hadn't done.
Speaker 1: So that I say, yeah, that checks out.
Speaker 2: I'll take a check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Peter roll in the mercenaries they come to the r V site, so they rescue Malcolm and his team after the t Rexes have left. They brought Kelly too, so that was nice of them. I guess got her down from the high hide.
Speaker 4: Thanks for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, honestly, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe we need to.
Speaker 2: Reassess Malcolm's parenting. She was the safest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it turned out that.
Speaker 1: High hide was very high because we even see a shot of like I guess the t reck is going through the jungle really and you can just you can't even see their heads.
Speaker 6: How high?
Speaker 1: What tree was that attached to?
Speaker 8: But yeah, yeah, Also the problem is that it's attached to a jeep, which would be seen. And we know that the t rex is pretty curious about the jeeps and vehicles, right, they hate them, they jeeps.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we learned then now that they're sort of all together, both of these teams, that the only working radio is in the interior that's populated by the velociraptors, and this was where they have to like they're.
Speaker 2: They're all going to go together.
Speaker 1: But we have members of this team that get attacked by raptors and by other dinosaurs and killed. So I'll give them all to you. You tell me your favorite. I guess sort of death scene here. So the first death is Dieter is that his name? The Nihilists from The Big Lebowski. He tells Carter he's going for a leak, but Carter's too busy listening to so, I mean, this is a long scene and I'm you know, flying through it here. But he gets he gets killed by all those little baby dinos that the compo, the the compies. Yeah, that took that, or at least attack that daughter early in the movie.
Speaker 2: The next one is Carter, Poor Carter.
Speaker 1: I think it's him. He gets smashed like a bug. One. Oh that's a good one. Yeah, that's when you know the t rex has showed up. Ye Burke, that is the guy's name. I guess, the guy that knows about the paleontologists, but the bad team. Yeah, the bad guys. He snatched from inside the waterfall because the snake went down his shirt. Dumb decision on this guy's part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta take the snake bite.
Speaker 1: There, you got to take the snake bite. And then finally we get the raptors out in the tall grass.
Speaker 2: They took out like twenty guys. Yeah, pretty silently.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So favorite fields, favorite of those four deaths A tough call.
Speaker 5: I do like the blood downstream shot when Peter gets killed, But I think I'm gonna go with you said Carter was his name.
Speaker 1: I thought it was Carter the band guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guys stuck on the bottom of the t rex foot. I think it's pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 3: I'm going with Dieter Uh, Peter stor Marcus. He's just he's the bad guy that he was in Constantine.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: They it felt it felt right for him to get nibbled over and over and over.
Speaker 1: When he gets bit on the lip, he sort of took it in stride.
Speaker 4: I was like, damn, yeah, he's tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: At first, when I saw the blood streaming, I thought I want to see him get eaten, because it did.
Speaker 4: It did.
Speaker 3: We didn't see it, but then it was fitting. We saw enough biting, We saw biting him the lip.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 1: I just think like even in this movie with you see all of them, like they sort of look the worst to me, the smaller the dinosaur, the worst it looks. C G I was wise, and I wonder if they're like, yeah, we can't show of meeting them, it won't look good. Yeah, Like so just like have them. You know, he dies, but like just we can't show.
Speaker 5: It, yeah, says yeah, because they don't show it with the little girl either, Like yeah, probably the c G I bites and blood.
Speaker 2: It's the part that's the problem.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Yeah, I mean I want to give a little bit of justice for Deeter because he did the one good thing in the whole movie was when he zaps the compy with the little cattle prod. The paleontologist is like, they don't have no reason to feel man to fear man he zaps him. Now he does, Well, you just did a very good thing because now the companies are going to be afraid of the natural predaters men right right, They'll be like afraid to go after them, you know what.
Speaker 1: I mean, Like, let's we're going to be afraid to go after humans.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because they and then and then well I know, but I'm just saying revenge man. Yeah, But we want wildlife to be a rate of humans. That is what I'm saying, right, because it's good for everybody.
Speaker 5: Long term, you think it puts the long term, it's short term bad for him personally.
Speaker 6: But went friends.
Speaker 1: Because I still believe. I still believe they're all doctors, so they're well educated companies. Yeah, so I think they are all these deaths. And again there's a whole bunch of them here. Nick heads out ahead of the others of his little team. He managed to get he gets he manages to get a message off to the boat waiting in the seas around the island, and then Malcolm, Sarah and Kelly arrive soon after. Where are they at? They're at just like something that was maybe was the breeding facility.
Speaker 5: I think the operations center whatever, communications center, I don't know.
Speaker 2: They call it names. What is the village?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: The buildings?
Speaker 1: We have the three of them, Malcolm, Sarah, and Kelly. They are fighting off a pack of raptors. There's a lot going on here. They get sort of separated a little bit because Malcolm's in the jeep at first, they're in that building. We do then get soon after this the batshit crazy scene where Kelly defeats a velociraptor thanks to the power of gymnastics, and we get the line after she does, so the.
Speaker 7: School cut you from the not bad like for the for the zingers following up, I thought the Zinger was better than the stunt and this one unfortunately.
Speaker 5: There are some parts I like to this before we get to her uneven bars routine, like I love the raptors. Okay, first of all, the lucky pack comes in handy for Sarah again. A raptor jumps on her back but lands on the pack and rips it off, so she gets a little bit of leeway to go. Her and Kelly get into that room where they eventually have to climb up and all that stuff. And then I love when the raptors are chasing Malcolm and he uses a door, goes in through the door, but then the raptors busts through the window, so Malcolm lee's back out the door again.
Speaker 2: I thought that was great.
Speaker 1: It was good. I even like the digging part where they're trying to dig under to go under something, and the velociraptors are also digging on the other side, and they're like having this race cool close up to them digging so much faster. Yeah. I just remember in ninety seven watching this movie and just like I didn't get up and leave the theater after she kicks the velociraptor, but like it was, it's so bad. Oh.
Speaker 8: I saw that opening weekend and I remember grown grown, Like the pat Theater people are like what they were.
Speaker 1: Like, she's up there and she like looks at the bar and like Sarah was.
Speaker 2: Like, what are you doing? What are you doing? And then jumps on it.
Speaker 1: Spin spin, spin kickkick. Yeah, see you.
Speaker 6: Through the thing. It's brutal, brutal, brutal.
Speaker 8: And right before that you were talking about Trey about the Jeff Goldbloom versus the Raptors. This is highlights how wrong he is for this leading sort of running around thing because he's so jazzy. He's just it feels like a musical number, you know what I mean, Like he's like, you know, like go back and watch it and then you if you listen to the score. I think that John Williams could not help himself because it feels like what's that score?
Speaker 6: You know, like he's you know, jiving and bobbin and it is hilarious. It was very little.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we don't hear the theme, like the Majestic theme at all in this movie, and they don't play the the the main theme or whatever, you know, the island theme till the credits.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, you will hear.
Speaker 1: I thought there was like a remixed version.
Speaker 8: There is. There is one moment whereass a couple of moments, but when you first see the island for the first time, it hits the chord of the first but it's the strings.
Speaker 6: It's the same chord.
Speaker 8: But then it just goes off to something else because this isn't Jurassic Park.
Speaker 1: This is right to sight b B. Yeah, so okay, we have to rewatch this scene.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice that Jazzy Hands.
Speaker 1: Is of jungle.
Speaker 6: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Well back to Kelly taking out the Velociraptor, Vanessa le Chester, the actor, She joked that she kept begging the filmmakers to give her a stunt to do, and she thinks this is may have been where the gymnastics scene came from. She explained, quote, I was just like, please give me a stunt scene, Please give me something crazy to do, and that maybe they put this and I.
Speaker 8: Hope not, but I mean that's a fair request to be Honest, if you're in a dinosaur and I want to do something.
Speaker 6: Cool, this is not cool. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she survives thanks to the power of gymnastics. Sarah manages to survive thanks to I guess poor roofing construction. When she's up there and the tiles are falling off and she's using it to her advantage and getting the fighting each other. Yeah, the velociraptors turn on each other.
Speaker 5: That's the thing with raptors is if you can last long enough, eventually they'll turn on each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you just gotta you gotta deal with the fifteen minutes of terror. But eventually they'll get bored.
Speaker 2: Chasing a human and just want to fight each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially now that we know there are male velociraptors. Right, it was one thing when all these very wise just female dinosaurs living in harmony, but then obviously when they started breeding, things got on hand.
Speaker 8: I think that sequence worked on the roof. Yeah, Okay, she's fending off one of them below, but it's actually bringing the other raptor closer to her.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Yep, it works kind of was the amount of shingles and believable at all?
Speaker 2: I guess they're like flying down this building.
Speaker 1: It's like, hasn't been you know, no upkeeps for four years at least the hurricane hit it. Yeah, hurricane, So it's shoddy, is my point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, she.
Speaker 2: Made it work.
Speaker 1: So then the helicopters arrived to fly out Malcolm, his daughter Sarah Nick and that's the.
Speaker 2: End of the movie. Yay ah, good movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, buddy record, scratch what Nope, we got a lot more to go here. Roland has managed to tranquilize a t Rex and its baby and they're caged and they're waiting to put them on the ship. I guess they sort of see that right from the helicopters, like what the hell's going on? Suddenly we're back in San Diego and the ship is going to come there, and Peter's plan is to put the captured wreck into a cage in that zoo, in that amphitheater that he had talked about. He holds a press conference that like, I don't know, it appears to be like two in the morning. They even slipped in a line something like he says something like thanks to all these people showing up at this time. Yeah, this is a little weird. But we got an issue here because this ship coming in the SS Venture, it's not slowing down and they cannot communicate with it it and it crashes into the dock. Holy crap. And then they get on it and everybody's killed. And obviously we'll get into the dinosaur part of it all. But who killed these people on this ship? Yeah, this is the biggest question because we know the baby t Rex has been flown already and this just is the cargo ship for the big giant tranquilized t Rex.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what kills it? There was a scene that was deleted, Okay, go on that makes sense that I know.
Speaker 8: It doesn't make anything there because on the bridge there's crew all over the place, ripped apart.
Speaker 6: They hand.
Speaker 1: Obviously there's no t Rex in there, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: It's unless there's a raptor running.
Speaker 3: There are apparently there are raptors on the board, on the board, the ship, on the ship. But then it was deleted for some reason. However, the scene was removed and never it was removed and never filmed.
Speaker 4: But this detail still remained. I don't know. I don't have an answer.
Speaker 1: The only thing that makes sense is like when they were putting the t Rex on that other dinosaurs got on, probably velociraptors, let's be honest. And then they took out everybody, hence why nobody could communicate, and it crashed into the dock and the t Rex is still in the cargo thing.
Speaker 2: That's a great point, like, I mean, you're you're buying that everybody in the.
Speaker 5: Cargo hold is dead, t Rex going nut total. Once that's happening, I think it's on the captain to say, nobody go to the cargo hole. We just got to get this boat back. But I guess if there's raptors hanging, maybe maybe they're just still loose and Sandy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe maybe we haven't.
Speaker 2: Gotten the number four yet.
Speaker 6: I don't know what happens.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, they get aboard this thing and they're like, where's the crew and yeah, somebody says they're all over the place. They've all been killed. So then the t Rex escapes the ship, you know, burst out of the hold. Because that's like, you know, one guy's you know, decapitated arm right is holding on to the open clothes button and then somebody grabbed it. Anyway, bus loose because they screw it up. This was like they glossed over this, but like they tranquilized it.
Speaker 2: But then they thought they gave it too much. It's up breathing, so they gave it something else. Yeah, and then it's like adrenaline course and through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Sarah's like, it's like a locomotive. It's hiped up. Yeah, coffee, you give it a mountain to give it a red bull.
Speaker 1: So it's loose in the city of San Diego, and we get this whole scene and it's taking a casual.
Speaker 2: Stroll through a San Diego neighborhood.
Speaker 1: There's not a single cop car following it, or at least that we can see. There's not a light on it. There's nothing like it's just like going again around these backyards stops to take a sip from a backyard pool.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: I love that They're like, it's gonna go for a water source. Next, it was on a boat one second, it's on a pier, but now I'm gonna go find a swimming pool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, salty water. Yeah, and then it uh, it's the family dog. Rest in peace to the family dog. I will get the scene with the kid waking up his kids or his parents.
Speaker 8: Okay, where do these parents rank? I mean, they're kind of dicks there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, this boy has cried dinosaur before the yeah slash obviously yeah yeah, survive so that they didn't do anything too stupid.
Speaker 8: I don't like the way they chained the dog to it the snoopy dog house.
Speaker 6: Do people do that?
Speaker 2: Is that a thing in nineties movies?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I remember in my life.
Speaker 5: I mean I feel like I've seen doghouses driving around, but not very common.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not in.
Speaker 1: The city for sure, maybe more of a I was gonna say, more of a country thing. But why would you have a dog? You shouldn't have a dog caged? Everybody knows that. Yeah, but it's yeah, it's dead yet sad.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's really just for the the image of the doghouse, you know, dangling from the the t rex's mouth, which is effective, I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, but poor. So the plan here Malcolm and Sarah learn that Peter did bring the infant t Rex back on a plane like I said, so it also wasn't on that ship, and uh, they have it in the in construction zoo or amphitheater where he plans to do all this stuff. That's where they have it. So Malcolm and Sarah go to retrieve it to lure the t Rex back to the docks. But yeah, now the t rex though, after getting he's got a mountain dew coursing through him. Now he's got a dog coursing through him. Got a lot of energy. So he hits the downtown core guess right of San Diego, and that's where he's just going sicko mode. He's going nuts.
Speaker 5: Goes to Blockbuster right away, right, just like the nineties is like I got my Mountain Dewami Sunrise, Kevin Baker.
Speaker 2: I love the fake movies they have in there that I don't know.
Speaker 5: I couldn't decide if I want to see Tsunami Sunrise or Arnold Schwarzenegger's King Year.
Speaker 2: Robin Williams.
Speaker 6: Robin Williams is in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jack and Something or Jack and the bean Stock maybe.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 5: That would be a fun part of being in the writer's room is coming up with the fake uh, and we.
Speaker 1: Get I'm sure everybody noticed it, do you, especially we get an ode to Godzilla. Oh yes, four Japanese guys running and looking back. Yeah, I think they even say, right, don't they say, like we left Tokyo for this or something.
Speaker 8: I think that's what Austin Bowers you're thinking of. Oh, because there is the copyright, we can't.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's it. That's the yeah.
Speaker 5: Percent and homage Godzilla showing the Asian businessman first before we get into like everybody running down the street.
Speaker 2: I thought that was good. I think.
Speaker 5: I mean, this whole t Rex coming to San Diego is basically King Kong. Yes, guess what now it's a dinosaur in San Diego. And you even get like a little bit of a callback to an earlier Steven Spielberg movie and the seventy six ball from the gas station comes rolling behind him, just like later than the Lost Art.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, right right, it's cool.
Speaker 1: So were you a fan of this whole dinosaur loose in San Diego? I was?
Speaker 8: I mean, it's fun. I mean, this is the reason why Spielberg wanted to do this movie at all. I think he's he said, I always wanted to do a Godzilla or a monster movie. You know, he's he's doing it, and I think it's it's stupid, and but it works. It's it's fun. It's fun to watch, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's stupid, like the whole point like plot point, like, how the heck were they going to actually, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean this thing in this amphitheater.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well all of that, like the setup of getting it there and and this was never in the Crichton sequel, not that that was any great work of art or anything, but yeah, this is this is just Spielberg running amuck.
Speaker 4: You know, look, he.
Speaker 8: I felt the way he probably felt making this movie. Watching this movie, I've just got bored halfway through, and I want to go watch Saving Private Ryan now, which is his next movie. He wanted to go make a war movie next. So but yeah, this this scene kind of works as its own five minute sequence, as a fun sort of Wow, there's a dinosaur running a muck in San Diego, but it's like who cares.
Speaker 1: So upon hearing and smelling the infant, the t Rex follows Malcolm and Sarah back to the docks because they did get to it. It got it out of the little cage there. They got it in their convertible and they're you know, they're driving back, get it to the docks. Now, Peter Ludlow, he's ordering that the adult male be shot. Infant got to be recovered, and he sees Malcolm and Sarah carrying the infant to the cargo ship, so he follows, only to find the infant in the cargo hold. Malcolm and Sarah they leap off the boat, right, I just watched, and then Ludlow attell to lure the infant out, but soon after here comes the adult t Rex. He enters the hold injures Peter Ludlow before allowing the infant to do the final kill. I think it even nudges it, right, yep, it's like, yeah, you do it.
Speaker 2: So Deuce is to Peter one.
Speaker 5: Finally a righteous chomps like Peter deserved it. Man, We've been waiting to see this guy get eaten. And then he gets eaten by the infant, who's you know, getting its first taste of blood.
Speaker 2: Good stuff.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Sarah then launches the Tranquilizer dart. Good shot from her right shot is that the do we like? It follows the dart shot? Am I crazy?
Speaker 2: It definitely has.
Speaker 8: The barrel and I guess the whole thing was beating the chopper right because the dart is just going to tranquilize it. But I think the chopper looming over it head.
Speaker 1: It's gonna shoot it.
Speaker 6: They're gonna shoot it because Bledlow gave orders to shoot.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're right, But that.
Speaker 8: Wasn't very well explained or pointed out or anything.
Speaker 1: No, so uh, Yeah, the dart hits the t Rex and it subdues it enough I guess for Malcolm to close the big doors.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, And and that's sort of it. And then we get this other scene. You know, in the aftermath, we're watching CNN. They're all asleep. I guess Kelly's watching CNN. The Navy. Great point.
Speaker 4: I mean they're tired.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I understand why they're asleep. Yeah, I think it's more questionable that she would turn on CNN or not change the scene what they're saying.
Speaker 1: I guess. Yeah. The Navy and the new crew are escorting the ship back to Lasorna. So then we get CNN running an interview with John Hammond. He talks about the preservation and isolation of this island. The creatures require our absence, so now we just have to leave it alone. And then we end with a shot of like all the dinosaurs on this island where they're free and we get a for the first time, right, uh pterodactyl. Yes, that that we see lands on the branch makes a sound. I don't know if it was camel sound or not.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure there was.
Speaker 3: There was a Spielberg reflection on the screen during the CNN report as well.
Speaker 4: That was planned that he was there.
Speaker 1: What do you mean a Spielberg Steven Spielberg in the reflection?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, no, they did on purpose to get Spielberg. They just gave Spielberg a little shot in he's the director.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, he put.
Speaker 2: Himself into the room with Kelly, Malcolm and Sarah.
Speaker 6: It's just creepily peered in. It's just a decision back and watch it.
Speaker 4: I think he is beside Malcolm.
Speaker 3: I think he put both of them. Has the reflection just on the screen a choice.
Speaker 5: I also thought that the scene where they first come to East Last Serna the second team and like Peters in the in the jeep with rolling tembo and they're talking, is Peter supposed to be dressed exactly like Steven Spielberg. He's got like the hat on, he's small glasses, he looks like Spielberg behind.
Speaker 2: The scenes making Jurassic Park. Wow, which I was like, an interesting choice to look like you minus the beard and stuff.
Speaker 5: But uh, I guess you just want to put his touches out there.
Speaker 2: Hey, I made this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seems like there's a lot of that, just like maybe we'll do some.
Speaker 4: Stuff, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, that's also I'm thinking. You know what I'm thinking when Hammond is talking about saving the animals.
Speaker 5: Don't trust this guy. Do the opposite blow up the ship. We just saw the exact opposite when you did it at nighttime. The t Rex went nuts and ate everybody on the ship, crashed and then devoured people in the mainland in the United States. Why would the return journey go better?
Speaker 1: Well, and also, like use all this amazing technology you guys are good at to just like, uh, view the the dinosaurs on this island with that.
Speaker 2: Don't send people, Yeah, don't send people, sending.
Speaker 1: Drones, set up cameras, whatever, let's just track it that way. I guess maybe they already are. Why did they have to go? It's sort of all stupid. But anyway, that's Jurassic Park, the Lost World. Do you have a favorite scene. Let's start with you, Tess, favorite scene or your or you or the dumbest scene. I'll throw them both at you.
Speaker 3: Guys, best are dumbest. I mean I do like the nibbling of the little dinosaur. Ah, just that, okay, just that, you know, it's it keeps on going.
Speaker 2: It's not just bothering them.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, you know they fight to death by a thousand nibbles. So yeah, that part's fun.
Speaker 5: Me.
Speaker 8: Okay, it's fun the way it's sort of it's a nuisance at first, and then it just escalates and escalates and then it kills him.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and he's like mean to them and all that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Course.
Speaker 1: Yeah. As for a dumb scene, our dumbest plot point.
Speaker 4: Now I got to defend the gymnastics move.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, please have that.
Speaker 2: I'm not fighting.
Speaker 3: I'm not fighting for the type of movie. It was just for the kids, That's all it was. It was just the kids. The kids apparently complained after the first movie that there weren't enough dinosaurs.
Speaker 4: So this was just it was literally just for the kids. Let the kid do something cool, Let the kid flip. It was strange.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, I'm like, okay, this movie came out in ninety seven. We had a summer Olympics in ninety six. I assume, yeah, like where we ride in that wave.
Speaker 2: That was Kerrie Struggle. I think Carrie Struggle was nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 5: I think you're right. Atlanta, that's Atlanta among us. She was a huge star. So you can see why gymnastics were on the mind.
Speaker 1: Yeap ninety six, when's Gabby Douglass come into our lives much much?
Speaker 2: She's like twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: I think okay, I was just like maybe big gymnastics like teamed up with big dinosaurs. Yeah, there you go, all right, what about you?
Speaker 2: Tre favorite scene?
Speaker 1: And then dumba scene.
Speaker 5: There are three scenes that, like I think, really carry the movie from a set piece standpoint, Like I'm with JD. I like the San Diego sequence, but it just feels completely tacked on, as like Spielberg's like, I'm only making this last Jurassic Park movie.
Speaker 2: I gotta do it monster style if I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 5: So I like the scene, but it's probably best just watching that scene because it definitely feels like a third ending to the movie, which is a little bit weird.
Speaker 2: I also do like.
Speaker 5: The scene when, for whatever reason, they decided to go to sleep on the ground in t rex territory. Questionable decision, but I love the visual of like the t rex poking its head into the tent and when it finally wakes up, it stands up and it's got the.
Speaker 2: Tent all its head. I think that's played pretty well.
Speaker 5: That leads to the guy getting stomped and stepped on the bottom of his foot, and then uh long hair guy getting eaten after it gets bit by a snake. I think that's all pretty good. But best scene for me is r V going over the edge.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 5: I think it's the whole part of it is good. Starting with you think it's one dino. I think it's one t Rex. It turns out to be two of them. They get the thing back, They do leave and come back quite a good time, for sure. But every time I'm like, oh, yeah, t rexes are bad. Yeah, okay, that's for dumbest syn.
Speaker 2: The Flipping Man. Yeah, it's a big.
Speaker 1: Grow It's tough not to grow at that. Yeah, j D.
Speaker 2: Any other dumb scenes or are you going with that one?
Speaker 8: I'm going with that one. I again, Uh Doctor Malcolm jazz dancing with.
Speaker 1: I rewatch that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's hilarious.
Speaker 8: I actually love it, so I shouldn't say it's the dumbest. I had a shout out Vince Vaughan here backing up a cargo van in that warehouse.
Speaker 6: Scene, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: The first time we see him, Okay, he's just backing up a vent and it like right onto the set, right on him. It's it's mark, you know, and then he gets out and then they have the whole green peace talk. But just imagine you're Vince Vaughan. You you're the movie. Your breakup movie hasn't even come out yet, I don't think, or it just came out. You're working with Steven Spielberg for the first time. I'm nervous backing up a vent in general, like my car, Like I don't think I'd be able to back up my car, but the pressure, you know what I mean, It's like, you're not just acting, you're driving a van backwards, hitting a mark, getting out all in one shot.
Speaker 6: Like that's impressed.
Speaker 1: We don't know how many takes it took.
Speaker 6: We don't Well, you're right, but.
Speaker 1: Exactly by weeks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, go back and watch it.
Speaker 8: He's just very confidently just backs up that van and I was like, God, damn, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Character Nick too. I guess I skip by it.
Speaker 1: He stole the particular bullets right from from Roland.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that is a dumb scene to me. That is a dumb thing that he does. Another dumb thing that the character does in the movie, like, why would you You've already sort of met and you know, you have your differences with Tembo, but you know he's the one guy that could probably protect you from a t Rex. Yeah, you know, let him have his bullets, you know, and that and that's the reason why if he hadn't have taken those bullets, that t Rex would have been probably dead and not on the island or in San Diego, right, because he ends up having to tranquilize him instead.
Speaker 5: So anyway, why two shotgun blasts taken down a t Rex?
Speaker 4: You think?
Speaker 6: Did you see those bullets? I don't know. I trusted Tembo trust in.
Speaker 1: Is he your favorite character from this movie by a lot? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean he's a caricature of the you know, the Great Hunter whatever. But I think Posselthwaite nails it. I mean I think you said it like he's he's great and everything.
Speaker 1: So Eric does develop I guess.
Speaker 6: Too, it's got an arc.
Speaker 8: He's he's I'm gonna kill the biggest predator, and then he's like, you know what respect to the biggest predator?
Speaker 6: Uh, what's his line?
Speaker 8: I've I've I believe I've spent enough time in the company of death.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great line.
Speaker 1: So he's, uh, he's really heartbroken over a guy that died out there too, that we barely met in this movie. Yeah, who we see like in a handful of scenes. But he's like, he's devastated that he's been killed.
Speaker 2: Whatever these guys doing before, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Like a lot of they're isolated. I'm sure a lot of big game hunting, spending a lot of time bonding. Yeah, I'm not saying it's you know, broke Back Mountain or anything, but you never know, you never know, he was heartbroken. They had a strong bond.
Speaker 3: Maybe this is why the w NBA chose Toronto Tempo Tembo. It's close, it's not.
Speaker 7: It's not.
Speaker 4: Raptors first Tembo.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I totally like Tembo is my favorite character to it. You totally buy him as like a big game hunter Peter Posselthwaite, perfect casting. Vince Vaughan is the opposite to me. You hear a lot of criticisms of a movie nowadays. People will say that face has seen his cell phone, like playing You look.
Speaker 2: Too modern for me.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like Vince Vaughan has spent a day outdoors in his life outside of shooting this specific movie.
Speaker 2: Doesn't seem like an outdoors guy. I'm less surprised that he could perfectly back up a van right like. He seems like he.
Speaker 5: Would be a good driver. I don't know why. More realistic as a driver than a photographer to me?
Speaker 4: Yeah, truth, has he been ten in any other movie?
Speaker 3: It's a great Yeah, he looked he's always very fair skinned.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought about it that, but he does.
Speaker 8: He does escape the island pretty well manicured, you know what I mean. He doesn't look as dirty as you would think he would after that, after an adventure like that. Yeah, at least in my mind, as I'm thinking back. But maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: So let's let's rank the Lost World here. You know, in comparison to Jurassic Park, I have a feeling it's going to be slotted in behind that which we called basically a perfect movie. I will tell you fifty six percent on Rotten Tomatoes for the Lost World from the critics, fifty two percent from the fans. I feel like that's pretty rare. See the fans with the lower score than the critics, but they're in the same ballpark. Roger Ebert two out of four stars for The Lost World. I'll read you a small piece, he said, quote the film's structure is weird. I thought it was over. Let it began again. There you go with the San Diego secrets, in which Spielberg seemed to be trying to upstate. Is the upcoming Godzilla movie? Because that was right, Roderick coming out soon?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And can we and can we really believe that a ship could ram appear at full speed and remain seaworthy? Good point? The problem with the moon Rogers, Yes, the problem with the movie is that the dinosaurs aren't allowed to be the stars. Wow, that's what Roger thinks. So on a scale of one to ten, how would you rank this movie? The Lost World Jurassic Park.
Speaker 4: Roger put it perfectly. This is a two out of ten. Careful what you did. Yeah, you're running, you're so Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've never been good at the hey rank these five things ranked, these ten things. I always slought it way too low. You're right that that's potentially my mistake.
Speaker 4: But that's low. It's low.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't. There's no comparison. But the dinos are not featured. I agree they so they have to. Spielberg goes in a different direction than the Wonder anticipation.
Speaker 4: But there has to be a better way than just a boom dino, boom, dina boom China. It's just too fast, there's too much. It's low. It's so low for me, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Okay, two out of ten? Where are you going, Trey?
Speaker 2: It's a five out of ten for me.
Speaker 5: I do like the action pieces in this, like all the different dinosaur attacks. I like that they bring back some new or start with some new dinosaurs that we hadn't seen before.
Speaker 2: A favorite dino for me is the.
Speaker 5: Friar Tuck, who we're told his skull is nine inches of solid bone.
Speaker 2: So I tell Laura every.
Speaker 1: Night, this guy's going Friar Tuck a little.
Speaker 2: Hey, tuck me in, Laura.
Speaker 5: But but I forgive it.
Speaker 2: That's the Friar Tuck Like.
Speaker 5: That's kind of the problem with the movie to me is it's so much darker.
Speaker 2: And dumber to me than the first one.
Speaker 5: We liked all the happy, joy filled parts, which make the terror parts play a lot better. In Jurassic Park one, we don't have any light moments really in this one. It's kind of the same way as Temple of Doom was so much darker than Raiders of the Lost Dark right rad Like, it's just insanity the entire way through, And that's what this one is like to me. And like we said at the end of last episode, those moments where they're enjoying the park are some of the best moments because it makes everything hit so much harder afterwards, whereas this one, it's like, we meet a stegosaurus.
Speaker 2: Oh cute, it's a herbivore.
Speaker 5: But guess what, even this one's going crazy trying to knock people out.
Speaker 2: It's just a different movie, and this is the mark a little bit for me.
Speaker 5: So five out of ten action, cool, plot and character development not so much, okay.
Speaker 8: D Yeah, I'm with you, Trey. I think it's a five out of ten for me. I but for different reasons. I don't mind that it wanted to go for a darker tone. I want it. You know, we would if Jeff Goblum showed up and he was just the same character as before, but being a dad, we would criticize that for not having enough depth in character to it. So, but I think it was a mistake having him the lead of this movie. He should have just stayed out of this movie. Let Vince Vaughan take over or whatever. You know, it's just a problem. The movie itself is just it's just not good, you know, I guess is what I'm trying to say. It's that there are set pieces that I did find kind of entertainment, entertaining. Spielberg, you know, his worst movies. You can learn a lot from watching them, you know, like he's he's a very good director. He just did not seem to be that interested in making this particular movie. I don't know if he got tired or bored, or he just wanted to move on to save a Private Ryan, which is a very good movie. But yeah, five out of ten for me, I don't know, it was a wasted opportunity. It's just made me angry more than anything. You got some great actors and an amazing cast. You know, you could have done so much more with this. I mean, he should have just passed it on to somebody else. Let Fincher, somebody direct it, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I think I'm in the ballpark of you guys. I'll go four out of ten. I was gonna go five, but I'll switch it up here. It is funny, like roughly fifty percent more dinosaur action in this movie than the first one. Yeah, but it's half as good if that so, I don't know what that says. There's just so many like there are a lot of holes in the plot of this movie, or a lot of things where you're like what what like you just even if I'm being honest, like just Malcolm going back to this place the first place speaks to me what you were saying, JB. But his his odd relationship with his girlfriend who he must save but doesn't even seem all that in love to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Odd.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's it's not great. I stopped it at one point, like it's a long movie, Like I said, it's two hour plus. Like I definitely stopped it at around an hour or so in like there's an hour left, I'm like, what the hell?
Speaker 2: And then it has that whole part where you do think it's over.
Speaker 1: You're like, Okay, it's done. You're like, oh no, We're going to San Diego, which is cool, does look cool, but it's like, yeah, thrown on at the end. So I'm a four to ten man. Yeah, fails in comparison to the first one. But that's our thoughts. Let's hear from you when it comes to the Lost World Jurassic Park. Does it get better? Does it get worse? Jurassic Park three is our next movie that we're tackling in Jurassic Pals, released in two thousand and one. Uh, Doctor Allan Grant is back. He's back, So there's that to look forward to. I don't does this get more campy?
Speaker 4: Want?
Speaker 6: Do you want to answer that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Tell me it gets worse. Oh I think it gets worse. But Trey, you just watched it.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, hey, look what do you think.
Speaker 5: I can't spoil my thoughts, but I watched it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna watch it here.
Speaker 2: Here's the best part about Jurassic Park three.
Speaker 5: It gets compared to Jurassic Park two, whereas Grassic Park two gets compared to Jurassic Park one.
Speaker 1: Yes, good point. So that next Jurassic Pals coming next Friday. That'll drop on August twenty second, us talking about Jurassic Park three. If you're having a good time talking dinosaurs with the boys, hit the lake button, subscribe, share the show. Five star ratings and reviews for Jurassic Pals. All right, we will see you next week for Jurassic Park three. Until then, embrace the embryos.
Speaker 6: I don't know how to share.
Speaker 1: Yep, I didn't know what to say there. Bye,