Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Need's Dan Patrick Show got into a heated discussion with Chris Simms last hour talking about inflating footballs, deflating footposts. It's ten years old. It was a random topic there. Probably didn't expect to dive into that with Chris Simms, but he was with the Patriots and spent a year there as a coach, and we started joking around socializing with Tom Brady. Did Brady invite him out when he took his teammates out and he brought up Deflategate And then I wanted to know where Chris stood on that, and then he told me that, you know, he's basically a get off my lawn. It's the rule, don't deflate the footballs. And I said, I think it's a silly rule. Should Tom Brady have been punished? Yes, he broke a rule and he lied about it. More importantly to the commissioner. He lied to the commissioner. The rule is the fact that Aaron Rodgers came on the show and said that he over inflated. So somebody went out of their way to over inflate a football. Remember it was this clandestine way of getting the football and breaking into something or trying to do it without the officials.
Speaker 3: Not knowing what's going on.
Speaker 2: You had the deflator on the team, which was the obvious giveaway.
Speaker 3: Guys, nickname is the deflator.
Speaker 2: And I just think if both quarterbacks decide how they want the football, I don't have a problem with that. But that rule is still in place. But Chris Simms and I we went back and forth. March is here, the dance is just beginning, and the Big Ten in Big East men's basketball tournaments tip off live tomorrow exclusively on Peacock. You had a couple of teams that punched their ticket, as they like to say, Wafford. It's Wafford College, not the University of Wofford, but they beat fu Furman and Troy also got in. Four more berths coming up tonight the Horizon League, Northeast CIA and the WCC eight seven seven three DP show operator Tyler sitting by.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. Bruce Pearl, head coach of the Auburn Tigers, will join us.
Speaker 3: Coming up.
Speaker 2: Lewis Riddick from the Mothership. A little bit later on, as we continue to discuss some of the hits and missus with free agency, the Jets get Justin Field, Seahawks Sam Darnold, the Commanders acquire Laramie Tunsell, and Josh Pause. Sweat goes to the Cardinals. You still have the Aaron Rodgers to the Steelers question mark. And if that's the case, then Russell Wilson maybe to the Giants question mark. But if the Steelers wanted to keep Russell Wilson, they would have already done it, right, But they're holding out hope for Aaron Rodgers because Russell Wilson can make you nine and eight again. Aaron Rodgers maybe could get you twelve wins, eleven wins, maybe a first round playoff win more importantly, but still wait for that. Maybe that comes down by the end of the day. A Pole question Dylan is in for U Seaton. Pritzy is here, the King of Content. Marvin is here wearing the T shirt that I got in Santa Barbara brought it all the way back. Thought about him. I don't know why I did, because he's not necessarily a Bulls fan. You're a basketball fan. But the nineteen ninety one Chicago Bulls championship shirt. If you're watching on Peacock, it looks lovely.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. I like Paulie and Fritzy. I live in the creates.
Speaker 2: Yeah you do, which means you love the history. Correct, Yes much, Yes you do, Dylan. Poll question from our one and then what are we going to go with hoard two?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Dan, our one was next season, the Steelers should go with Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers. Russell Wilson is taking it at about fifty six percent. Wow, I'm inclined to agree.
Speaker 3: Wow. Oh, I would go with Aaron Rodgers. I'd roll the dice.
Speaker 2: I would I think he's done that Aaron Rodgers is done. Well, if he's done, then Russ is done.
Speaker 6: They're both done.
Speaker 3: It's which one's.
Speaker 2: Less done, less done, done done. I take Aaron Rodgers. Russ can get you nine inning.
Speaker 6: Gay, I had neither, as.
Speaker 2: You could, I'd prefer you didn't. Okay, what would neither be? They don't have a quarterback? Just yeah, just roll Ben Roethlisberger. What's the poll question for hour two?
Speaker 6: So we got a couple options. Dan going off the deflate gate talk. Are you in favor of the rule against the fighting the football? Yes or no?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I want to go down this road today.
Speaker 6: We could do an alternative one. Okay, who is the better QB situation? The Seahawks with Darnold, Raiders with Gen Smith or Jets with Justin Fields.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean it might be just Sam Donald and Gino Smith.
Speaker 3: We can do just the two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because one happened. Because the other one happened. You know, the Raiders, you know, traded for him. Therefore, Seattle it opened up the opportunity to get Sam Darnald. All right, eight seven seven three DP. Show a couple of basketball highlights. Golden State, Golden State. Here they go and they have a home stand here. You know, the Lakers have a brutal stretch. They lost to the Nets, right, they don't have Lebron and you know, the West is so tightly compacted there that if you end up losing like five of your next seven, now all of a sudden, you're looking at play in territory. But with Golden State, they're twelve and two since February eighth. They got a game coming up. They have Seattle, New York, Denver, Milwaukee, and Toronto, so they have home games here and what a big advantage. Jimmy Butler has played well and I like the Jimmy Butler deal in the short term. I don't want him for more than two years, but it does give Steph Curry one more shot at maybe competing for a championship. Because I ended up talking to Mike Dunleavy Senior at the Super Bowl. And the reason why I bring this up is his son is the GM of the Golden State Warriors, and I said, now I can I can say this, but Mike Senior, I said, how desperate are they to get somebody at the trade deadline? And so we started talking about this. Now he didn't say it's off the record, but you know we've spoken generalities of.
Speaker 3: You know, can you get KD? Can you get Jimmy Butler? Like who fits?
Speaker 2: And so he gave me a little bit of information that I'm sure that he gleaned from conversations with his son, the former Duke Star. But they got Jimmy Butler. You know, they were going for KD. And I think Kd's on another team next season, but they wanted Kevin Durant, and Durant didn't want to revisit that. I mean, would I want to go back and play with Draymond after he made life miserable for me while we're winning titles. No, you are winning, but it comes at a call like they won. But it must have been so bad that he wanted out where you go? I'm tired of listening to Draymon. Oh okay, Draymon.
Speaker 7: Yeah, PAULI, Losing is miserable. Winning with Jerks is tolerable?
Speaker 5: Is that fair?
Speaker 3: Until it's not? Apparently?
Speaker 2: Because you know, but he won his titles and they probably said, all right, I've done what I need to do.
Speaker 3: Now it can go have my own team. I mean, I think that was the flaw.
Speaker 2: I get to play with somebody I like in Kyrie and let's go to Brooklyn and Okay, it didn't work out. But I don't think he wanted to revisit that. Okay, got to join Steph to win another title. You just don't want to go down that road. I don't think he needs to go down that road. But he's going to be on another team next season. But Golden State is playing. You know, you want to be quiet you don't want anything stupid, said by Draymond. You just want to play good basketball, get your bench ready, get ready for the playoffs, and then there'll be a tough out.
Speaker 3: But you know, the.
Speaker 2: Lakers are in a trickier situation because this is the stretch and the schedule. Lebron was publicly criticizing the most brutal stretch and their schedule. You know, the rest of the season is I think the toughest in the NBA. I've been talking about this, maybe too much, but I've been talking about Joker some of the numbers here and saying that he's not going to win the MVP, but he should. And Michael Malone, the Nuggets head coach, had this to say about the MVP race.
Speaker 8: Obviously, Shay Gilgos Alexander is a great player, and if he wins his first MVP, you know he's deserving of that. My thing is this, you know, if you didn't know that Nicola won three MVPs, and I've put player A and player B on paper, and you had no idea that the guy who's averaging a triple double, the guy who's top three in the three major statistical categories, things that no one's ever done. He wins the MVP ten times out of ten, and if you don't think so, I think you guys are all fully.
Speaker 3: All right, Michael, don't call me Mike. I agree with him. I agree Joker could have four MVPs. He can have five.
Speaker 2: MVPs if you include this year. He's playing at that level. But you know, he won three and then all of a sudden, it's we can't let that happen. Lebron James hasn't on an MVP since twenty twelve. He was twenty eight years of age. I find that amazing that the best player in the game, or at least for during that period a good portion of the period, never won an MVP. It's he got to the point where, okay, he finished second three times, conceivably could have seven MVPs. Joker could conceivably have five if you're being fair to what you see. We get caught up in okay, best player on the best team. Okay, Well, the best player on the best team right now is Donovan Mitchell. And I haven't heard his name at all, but Shay Gilgis is a incredible score.
Speaker 3: But he's not better than Joker. He's not.
Speaker 2: You could ask Shay gilgis he probably, in a true moment, say jokers a better player. Jay Gilger is going to say I'm a better score but better all around player. It's not even close. But that's value, how you interpret it value. I loved voting for these awards. I felt like it was a privilege and honor, and I had to equate what is value. I struggled mightily over Jason Kidd and Grant Hill for Rookie of the Year. I changed my vote on the last day, the last hour that you could send in your bount I went back and forth. But you got to have the same people watching the same amount of games understanding what's going on. There's certain players you have to go out of your way to watch, you do because some of the other games are always on right in front of us. Then we tend to lean towards those players in those teams. But if Shay wins it and he's going to good, it's good for the league as well. I think another young player MVP not in your major market there and they've done a wonderful job in building that team.
Speaker 3: So it's going to be a topic.
Speaker 2: It was a topic last year when all of a sudden, Joker was going to win. Kendrick Perkins came on and all of a sudden had this barnstorming tour to tell everybody it should be Joe El Embiid that I'm thinking, Kendrick Perkins, you don't know what you're talking about. And I still stand by that that Joker was better than Joel Embiid. Joe El Embiid, it was his turn, it was his time. I'm like, that is silly, but he was a great player. Was He'll never be a great player again, guess.
Speaker 7: Paul Lebron had a five year stretch aged twenty four to twenty eight. He won four out of five MVPs. He finished top two for Defensive Player of the Year twice. He was top five five years in a row. Oh, he never won another MVP after age twenty eight. He's finished second place three times, second place to Giannis Harden and Durant.
Speaker 3: Lance in Vegas, Hi Lance, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Good morning Dan, first time, long time hoping five to seven and a half, one hundred and fifty seven. Hey, you were you were talking about Josh Sweat, Yeah, and names like that, the one that's made me laugh inappropriately for years. Is Mark Sweeney, the former Kansas City Royal Mark Sweeney.
Speaker 2: We're all twelve, Thank you Lance. Yes, hey, ladies and gentlemen. Mark Sweeney. Uh brings me back to the name game when I was in high school and I can't even tell you some of the names that I grew up with.
Speaker 3: I win this.
Speaker 2: I win this competition every single time, every single time.
Speaker 3: Yes, paum.
Speaker 7: We were on the road when I first started working with you back in like Dayton, and the topic came up and I said, I went to school with a girl named April Shower. You're like, hold up a second, I'm going to tell you something, and you went through them. I was like, I still had that reaction.
Speaker 3: When my mom was alive, I would call her.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it'd be all hours of the night because be out drinking and people to say, oh I knew somebody, and I go hold on here, and I'd get my mom on and I'd make her pronounce the name of my priest and you would have to look it up on YouTube. But because she's she told me, you know a long time before she passed away, to not do that to our priest at Saint Susannah and so. But I would call my mom and say, Mom, what was the name of our priest? And she'd go, oh, Danny, and then she we'd give you the name and people would be like.
Speaker 3: You gotta be kidding me. Nope, not kidding.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll get to more phone calls. We're gonna play the Cooper Flag game coming up. I don't know what it is, but I'm excited we'll have that. But coming up next talk some college basketball. Bruce Pearl, Auburn head coach, will join us. Hope you'll join us after the break Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 10: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 10: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe.
Speaker 11: The most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific. And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media, that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: DraftKings just sent me the odds to win it all in March Madness. It's Duke, followed by Auburn, Florida, Houston, and Alabama. He's the head coach of the Auburn Tigers, his eleventh year there. He's Bruce Pearl. It was six years ago in Minneapolis. I had you in studio, you had your team in the final four, and I said to Paulie, I'm gonna make Bruce Pearl cry that day, And you did shed a teer a light tier, but I got you to cry.
Speaker 5: Hi Bruce, Hi, Dan? Who are you?
Speaker 3: I'm great. I'm not going to try to make you cry this time.
Speaker 5: You know, of all your great accomplishments over the course of your career, I hope my shedding a tier isn't one of them.
Speaker 2: It was just a goal to see if I could, you know, bring out that emotion. Because you're an emotional guy. You say you cry a lot. I don't know if you've cried the last two games that you lost. You know, no offense here the timing of this, but you know, when's the last time you cried.
Speaker 5: Let's see, I probably cried after we'd be Kentucky at RUP and won the championship. I'd say, I would say probably. You know, I'm pretty passionate. You talk about fan only talk about the lord, you know, talk about the blood, sweat and tears that go into all the things that it takes to win a championship. In other words, just like putting up with me and my expectations, my accountability, my you know, my my temper. I'm grateful, grateful, uh and blessed and did not cry after we lost to text A and M and Alabama because we've lost four games. We've lost to Duke and John Shire at John Shied Duke, and we lost to Todd Golden at Florida, and those that those had been the only two losses we had had for a long time. And and and so for a while I could say, like, the only coaches in the country that I'm willing to lose to are Jewish coaches John Shired, Todd Golden, Like, if you're not Jewish, I'm not losing to you. We Jews don't like to lose very often, in case you haven't noticed with our Israel con. And but then Buzz Williams came in ranked you know, fourteenth in the country, and and then of course we love to nat oates. And I don't think either one of those guys you know, got a temple.
Speaker 2: Uh, Princey, would you check and see if they're the other two coaches or Josh?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Okay, So why'd you cry after you lost or one at Kentucky at rupp Arena.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I think just I guess the motion of it all the the the being being, you know, really really grateful. Dan. I think what we do as we work in this this this ministry, or in this thing about coaching, we are we are we are built to win and compete for championships. We really truly do. And at the end of the day, there was a championship that could be one I didn't cry at when we beat when we when we won the Maui Invitational. You know that that you know, that wasn't that wasn't big enough. But I think because the league was so good and it was so hard, and every night you had to kind of get and and there were a lot of upsets. My basketball team did not get upset very much at all. Uh And in the sense that they beat a lot of people they were supposed to beat. And uh, I probably just tried it cried out of gratitude, gratefulness.
Speaker 3: Who's the best player in college basketball this year?
Speaker 5: Well, I think jan I Broom is that it should be the college player of the year because of all that he's accomplished and and and all that he's able to do for our team. Leads us and scoring and rebounding and assists and and and and obviously stepped up in the biggest games. I think Cooper Flag at Duke is going to be if he's not the first player drafted, is gonna be one of the top player drafted. And and Cooper is an amazing player who plays so hard and impacts the game so much. But what Auburn has done this year through this league to have sixteen Quad one wins has never been done before. That means on we we had twenty games against the Corps one. Now, when you're playing a quad one game, I don't care where you're ranked one through thirty five. Let's say we've got a fifty five sixty percent chance of winning that game, even if we're one, playing against the team that's twenty and win sixteen of those out of twenty is just unprecedented. And so therefore I feel like our best player is the best player at college basket.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's say you're coaching Cooper Flag yep, and you want him to come back for another year, but you want him to realize he wants to come back for another year, not you selfishly as a coach, how would you go about trying to convince Cooper Flag to stay one more year?
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, I would I would only try to convince him to do it if I truly felt like it was in his best interests, not just in mind.
Speaker 2: And have you seen the Washington Wizards roster, Bruce, Yes, I have.
Speaker 5: Here's here's here's the one the one factor that I would ask to consider him. To consider Dan, you know that because you've been doing this a long time, it's not how much you make, it's how long you can make it. That's the truth. And so the question for Cooper Flag would be what's the best position for you to be in for your second and your third contract? And if there can be any discussion about the fact that at eighteen or nineteen, when you are in position at age twenty one, maybe to have to sign that second big contract. You know, there's a difference between being rich and being wealthy. People that are wealthy have made it for a long time. And so that's the only thing I would look at as far as what might be in his best interest is would waiting another year put him in a better position to sign that second and third contract that takes him from being rich to wealthy.
Speaker 2: He's only eighteen, that's right, crazy, crazy, that would be the only factor. We're talking to Bruce Pearl, Auburn head coach. SEC Conference tournament starts on Friday. We've talked about ofvariety of things the NBA has, you know, face of the NBA. Could we get the non North America basketball players to play against the US based players in the All Star Game?
Speaker 3: Like where do you see?
Speaker 2: You know, the globalization of basketball is the future in Europe and other countries more so than it is in the United States. If you consider I could probably give you seven or eight of the top ten players in the game and they're not from the United States.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the game. I think the game is in great shape DWN in the sense that worldwide it's really really popular. And you're right, some of these international players, European players are playing the game better than our guys have. One of the factors has been just a skill level that they are brought up through a training program that isn't like high school, AAU college, so on and so forth. At the same time, your interest in our game and the college game has never been better. Like the numbers that we're pulling for the best. This is a tremendous regular season in college basketball, just even just the SEC. How many ranked teams against ranked teams and then how many of those games delivered Like the last two Saturdays in the SEC Alabama Tennessee over time, Auburn Alabama overtime, and the ratings are really good. I don't know. I read a little bit about what's going on with the NBA and what, but I couldn't tell you why. Some of those numbers are down, But our numbers have never been stronger.
Speaker 2: But the talent level, I mean, they're young, they're you know, these guys, I mean jokers, what thirty or somewhere around there. But if you put in Giannis, you put in Embid and you put in Luca Shay Gilgis, you know, from Canada, and maybe we go back to the dream team that the Dream Team in ninety two sort of you know, birth this, they spawned all of this. I'm just curious, does the does US basketball try to model itself after, you know, instead of this AAU and we've seen that basketball. It can be pretty ugly talented but ugly feels like you know what Europe is doing in other countries is they get you into a system, learn how to handle the ball, learn you know, the fundamental, be a big guy, handle the ball on the perimeter, like all of these things. It feels like the US is missing out on that opportunity.
Speaker 5: Well, I think there are people that are in the professional basketball in world basketball that are studying this very factor right now. They're absolutely looking at it. You know. The the best explanation I can have for it is the age that they have these European kids starting to train the specialization into you know, the one particular sport. They don't have the same you know, rules as far as how many hours you can or can't train, whether you're a high school player and you can only practice a certain amount of time, and in college so on and so forth. You know. I think the other thing too, the skill level right now is what is dominating our sport in the sense that the men are so big and they're so strong, and they're so athletic that now we're putting five guys out there on a perimeterive to three point line and spreading the floor just so that we have some space to be able to drive down the lane and make place because nobody, hardly anybody is putting a post player on the inside because there's there's just no room for him. So side. Sometimes in some ways, the size and the athleticism of the American player that may have been a dominating force in basketball is now no longer as as an important a cog as the ability to spread the floor and have the skills to be able to shoot and handle, which is more akin to the European player.
Speaker 3: Okay, but what would you do with Shack if he was your center?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'd find a way. I have. I am Jani broom right now, and and and and we're gonna find ways to get him inside and and and and and and and and run our offense accordingly. So oh no, no, you give me Shack. His big ass has got him on the block, and good luck. The only way you're gonna stop him is to hackershack him.
Speaker 2: Who's the best player you recruited didn't get but the best player you you recruited?
Speaker 5: Wow? Well, you know it's interesting. Aj Devansta was somebody that the kid, that young man is going to b yu. Uh. He grew up in Boston and actually grew up in Brockton, which is really a town outside of where I grew up. And we got in early on him and and uh, guy he's got a great family and and he he was one of the highest rated players I think I've ever you know, not not gotten. Uh, Anthony Edwards maybe in Atlanta would have been another one that that, you know, that we worked on but didn't get there. There. There's probably a long list of kids I finished second on, but those are two probably pretty big names.
Speaker 2: Tom Izzo said, Chris Weber made him cry because he thought he was getting Chris Webber and then you lose him to Michigan.
Speaker 3: That's painful.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, no, no, it's that definitely is I remember when Tom was an assistant for jud Heathcote and they were playing the old Jennison Field House, and so I don't know that Michigan State's program was in position when Chris Weber was coming out out of Country Day High School in Detroit to pick Michigan State over Michigan and tom Izzo hadn't quite done what he done now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he still had the magic Johnson era.
Speaker 5: That's great, and that's about I don't want to speak to Michigan basketball history Michigan State basketball history, but the perception of Michigan's program at that time was much stronger than Michigan State.
Speaker 2: When where were you in your career when Burden Magic U arrived on the scene in college basketball.
Speaker 5: I was just coming out of high school. I was just starting at Boston College for doctor Tom Davis, starting to be a manager and work in the industry.
Speaker 3: So you're a lifer. You're a lifer, aren't you.
Speaker 5: I was at BC in nineteen seventy eight before the Big East was born. I saw Dave Gavitt get that thing started. Doctor Tom Davis in the job he did at Boston College goes way under the radar because of you know, Louis Carnoseca and John Thompson, really Messamino, you know, just Jim Beaheim and Yukon and we were at BC kind of doing great in those early early years of the Big East. They almost took Holy Cross. Boston College had to write a fifty thousand dollars check in the athletic director Bill Flint at the time wasn't sure that was going to be a good enough investment. Had to get a door named Bernie Plansky to write that check. Otherwise Holy Cross have been in the Big East and now the CC not Boston College.
Speaker 3: Wow, who do you get mistaken for in public.
Speaker 5: Uh sometimes uh loop for Rigno, like the incredible, incredible, the Green Monster that back when I when I was a little bigger, not anymore. Every now and then Greg Brady remember Brady Bunch had the affro, A little bit of that, hey hey, and a really good day thirty forty years ago.
Speaker 3: Tom Jones, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, if women start throwing their underwear at you at an Auburn game, like you know, Tom Jones in concert, I'm thinking a little bit of Jeff Garland from curb your enthusiasm, like Larry David's good buddy like that, like a smaller verb maybe just the face, uh, and and your voice you could be you know, Jeff Garland.
Speaker 5: I've gotten a lot, a lot great you know, coaches, we do agent Doggie.
Speaker 3: Years, you know, are you okay?
Speaker 2: Coaching seems to be the fun easier part than the N I L and the recruiting.
Speaker 3: Is that fair?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Coaching because coaching is still you know, teaching and and and and and developing and and and the gym and the ball and and uh. Look, I like N I L. Dan, because we're way overdue. Thank God for n I L. For you for me and and it would make this country great. And obviously the numbers that these kids are getting right now tells you how late the n cua A was. Yeah, recognizing the value of these student athletes. Now, listen, there's no right now. There there are no rules. There are no regulations. We gotta find so we gotta we go. If we're gonna have a national champion Dan, then we truly need to be playing more by the same rules. They play more by the same rules in Major League Baseball, in the NFL and the NBA. Right now that we are on college and we are trying to figure it out, there needs to be bipartisans support in Washington, d C. To try to find a way to bring this great college system back while we're able to compensate the student athletes, you know, wait for what they're worth. But there's got to be some guardrails. Senator Ted Cruz has got legislation right now. But you know how Washington d C. Is completely dysfunctional, and if the Republicans wanted the Democrats vote, we got to find a way to bring it to be able to have the intercollagiate system what we do and still compensate our student athletes, and I think that's the best way of doing it. Right now, we're just putting band aids on it and we're all trying to navigate it.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you. Congrats on the success. Hopefully you don't run into a Jewish head coach of the rest of the season. But thank you for joining us.
Speaker 5: Always a pleasure, Dan, and thanks for not making me cry.
Speaker 2: All right, this time, that's Bruce Pearl Friday SEC Tournament. They will get underway, opponent to be determined, We'll take a break and we'll play the Cooper Flag Game.
Speaker 3: Some phone calls as well. Right after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 3: Update the poll results. Dylan in for a Seaton this week.
Speaker 6: Yes, Dan, who now have a letter QB situation the Raiders with Gina Smith or Seahawks with Sam Donald Buy a hair. Sam Donald is taking.
Speaker 2: So the odds to win March Madness. It's Duke and then closely followed by Auburn, Florida, Houston and Alabama. Three of those teams out of the SEC SEC has been great basketball wire to wire here. Oh, I have some over unders here. Davante Adams over under touchdowns with the Rams.
Speaker 3: All start with you six and a half, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Eight and a half blue bloopom.
Speaker 2: Dk Metcalf over under this according to DraftKings touchdown receptions in Pittsburgh, Dylan.
Speaker 3: Five and a half, Todd seven and a half blue bloo bloop over under, Miles Garrett sacks for the Cleveland Browns Super Bowl contender Cleveland brown m Todd over under sacks for Miles Garrett this.
Speaker 4: Paul thirteen and a half, Marvin fifteen and a half.
Speaker 3: Dylan eleven, fourteen and a half, fourteen and a half.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's going to be angry. He's going to be angry this year. Ready to go with that. And once again, I have more information. I can't share it with you, but I'm giving you sort of vagaries on the periphery of some of the things that I found out on Sunday about this deal.
Speaker 3: But I do think he wanted to leave.
Speaker 2: I think the Cleveland Browns were really steadfast and saying we're not going to even entertain offers. And from what I was told, unless it was a herschel Walker like Hall that the Cowboys got from Minnesota. It wasn't going to happen. Therefore, Okay, you're not going to trade me. How are you going to compensate me for playing for this team. It's not that he thinks they're going to be a contender. There's no way you could think that you're going to be a super Bowl contender. I do think that he did want to play. He wanted to go elsewhere. Do I think he was also going to get a new deal if he went elsewhere. I do he was going to get paid either way. It just he's getting paid to play for a worse team.
Speaker 4: Yes, time, but I thought, once you get the bag, you may not be quite as motivated. Even though he's upset that he's stuck with the Cleveland Browns. So where do you wait the two of those?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Did Patrick Mahomes seem motivated when he got the bank five hundred million dollar deal? He's a unique show. Hey, O, Twani seem like he was motivated when he got the bag. I think it's an unfair, you know, blanket we throw on over athletes to say you made your money, now you don't care I mean, those are two of the highest profile guys and they care as much as anybody does. Andy and Rhode Island. And then we're gonna play the Cooper flag game. Hi, Andy, welcome back. Good morning Dan.
Speaker 5: Dan.
Speaker 12: Ask what's going on Marvin and pritzy Dan? Have you ever thought about never really retiring? And I know that might be a crazy idea. And the reason I bringing up there is because I'll sound tigh of that. You know, I'm having a hard time with it because your show is a lifestyle to us. We wake up, we tell the kids to be quiet from nine to twelve because you know, your words was something that a lot of people appeal to.
Speaker 2: Wait, well, Andy, do you want me to stay on the air so your kids stay quiet?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 12: Absolutely no, No, that's not what I was just saying, in the sense when you speak, everyone got to be quiet because you know, you can't miss out on what Dan is saying. But I was thinking about the idea of how about using AI to you know, preserve you broadcast and style, you know, a virtual Dan you know with us was still with the Dan nets because you know, I can't lose the.
Speaker 5: Ambassador of humor.
Speaker 12: Marvin seeing Paulie, like, we need the guys.
Speaker 5: And you know, even if.
Speaker 12: You decide to step away, it's going to be a hard voice for anyone to feel because who does it better than you did?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: But thank you, Andy, Yeah, thank you. I'll look into AI.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll look into artificial intelligence with my voice, but I don't know if we can do a hologram. And you know, I did wonder, okay over the weekend, just throwing this out there. Did this was brought to my attention by my wife and she said, are you are you certain you're going to retire, you know, Christmas Eve twenty twenty seven. I said yes, And she said, well, you started your career in Atlanta at CNN. Why don't you end your career in Atlanta? The Super bowls in Atlanta that year. And it's the only time I ever gave pause to this, and it was I I was speechless when my wife said that, because I did start my career, my TV career, my sports career in Atlanta. And she said, what if you ended your career in Atlanta at the super Bowl? And I said, you know what, I'll think about Yeah, paul.
Speaker 7: I've thought about this before, not because of the Atlanta Angle. But retiring in the home stretch of the football season would have felt a little weird for you. For us, I thought that you would extend it two months. Maybe not now, but down theroad. You're like, man, it's the middle of football season. We're about to go to the playoffs, and we're going to stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but usually by that time of the year, I'm tired of you guys, yeah, and you're tired of me, and it's a good time to just take a break.
Speaker 3: And then not come back.
Speaker 2: But my wife brought that up to me over the weekend. We were on a romantic vineyard tour and maybe I had too much wine and I'm one of the contract What.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. That's pretty good. Huh.
Speaker 2: Time to play the Cooper Flag Game. I don't know if we have music to play the Cooper Flag game.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's kind.
Speaker 2: Of the football theme music, all right, That's what I had on day. All right, So Paul, let's play the Cooper Flag game.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 7: Duke Blue Devils freshman true freshman guard or forward has been named both ACC Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year. The eighteen year old is the fourth player in AC history to win both honors in the same season. A freshman winning Player.
Speaker 3: Of the Year. Who who are the other three? Would you like hints? How many of them played at Duke? All of them? Yeah, Zion correct? Johnny Dawkins, No, Johnny, I don't have Johnny Dawkins. Even winning Player of the Year Jay Williams, Nope.
Speaker 7: Also a sophomore, yes, Marvin Julia okafor jeel okafor is correct? In okay, I'll give you a hint.
Speaker 3: One more. Also, a Duchie.
Speaker 7: I loved him going into the draft and said he should be number one overall. So it's somewhat recent history.
Speaker 4: Okay, Oh, no, I thought he was going to be a star. Marvin Bagley the.
Speaker 7: Third Marvin Bagley junior, the two thousand and eight Freshman of the Year Player of the Year. Here's a couple of sophomores who won. David Thompson at NC State seventy two to seventy three. He won the next two, by the way, as a junior and senior Player of the Year. Ralph Sampson won it as a sophomore, junior and senior.
Speaker 2: How about oh, I can't do it right now? I have a trivia question for Cooper Flag about Cooper Flag that has to do with the draft. But I'm up against the break. So that's a tease into the next hour. Well, you don't have to wait that long. I mean, you're gonna wait maybe seven minutes, and then I'll ask the question, and you know what, Marvin will probably come up with the answer.
Speaker 3: You live in the crates Man, you do sure?
Speaker 9: Do you do?
Speaker 3: A final hour in this Tuesday