Speaker 1: What's happened?
Speaker 2: Everybody, Welcome into a one of the editions of Texans All Access.
Speaker 1: From the Hunday Texans or radio studio.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, John Harris, football analyst, sideline reporter for your Houston Texans.
Speaker 1: Glad to be with you.
Speaker 2: We got a very eventful couple of days coming up for your Texans. Throughout the league, teams already slicing your rosters down little by little. I don't think anybody's gotten their full fifty three just yet, but you're seeing various moves bleed out across various social channels, and the Texans had one very important one that we need to hit right off the top, and I will read straight from the statement. So we are clear tomorrow at three pm Central Standard time, when everybody needs to be down to fifty three man roster. We e the Texans will officially move running back Joe Mixon from the active NFI list to the reserve non football injury list. Players placed in the reserve Non football Injury List may begin to practice and play after the club's fourth game of the regular season. We will provide further updates at inappropriate time. Now, a couple of things. Number one I think a lot of us out there, and by a lot of us, I mean fans, analysts, et cetera, et cetera, kind of saw this coming. So this I think is just confirmation of what we already knew. You know, It's like when you're asked that question, Hey, uh, you think it's gonna rain today and you look up sun no clouds, like, yeah, I think we're gonna be okay, and the days ago, the day goes through and you're like, yeah, confirmation it didn't rain. Well, this is the confirmation that I think we knew was coming, and so we're kind of rebracing for it all along that Joe wouldn't be ready for the first four games. Now what that means is Week five is at Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Now, one of the things that I said, I think we're at the.
Speaker 2: Greenbrier when I may, I said this, that's the last game before a bye.
Speaker 1: So you get through that game. Let's let's let's.
Speaker 2: Just just go with me on this. Let's just say were extended one more week, then you got to buy. Then you don't play till Monday night at Seattle. Now, look, when it comes to medical stuff, nobody ever knows to be honest.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're never gonna know medical staffs.
Speaker 2: They're not out there, you know, tweeting, and players aren't out there putting stuff out there. They're not about injuries things like that for the most part, So we're not gonna know exactly where Joe is in his rehab. I mean, look, this this might just be you know, longer than four weeks. This could be ten weeks, this could be fourteen weeks.
Speaker 1: We don't know.
Speaker 2: So there's no telling when Joe could honestly come back. But let's just say it's with this mindset, this time frame of four weeks that you definitely that when you go on the active or the res deserved non football injury list, you've got to wait out those four weeks.
Speaker 1: So let's say waits out the four weeks.
Speaker 2: At that point, if he's a thousand percent ready to go, okay, let's play against Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Let's rock and roll. Let's go.
Speaker 2: I think with where the bye week is, just give it one more week. That just gives you two more weeks before you've got to play a game. And then let's start it with Seattle and let's run it eleven weeks straight. Uh, and let's go, you know, win a lot of games with Joe fully healthy, hopefully at that point, and let the running back room as it is right now. We don't even know what that's gonna be. We already said it's gonna be a tough cut. But let's let the running back room as it sits right now go forward. Nick Chubb, Damian Pierce, Dargon Muwally Wood, he Marks Juar Jordan, British books. However, they're going to pare it down. We don't know how many they keep. We don't know, but that room. And I've said this for a while now, and I think you've said it on Texas Monday this morning. I'm okay with that group. I like that group. I like the young guys in that group. I like what do I like you are? They've been saying it since the first day camp. There was probably this in the back of my mind with Joe, that it might be a while before we see Joe, but not going to be there for the first four games.
Speaker 1: So that's the news as it sits.
Speaker 2: The roster will get down to fifty three by three PM. But at least the question a lot of people asking about Joe Mixon was answered by the Texans today on their social media channels that release of Joe Mixon moving from active NFI to reserve NiFi. He will miss the first four games at a minimum, and then after that work his way back into practice. Like I said, because where the bye week is, there's in my mind there's a thought, Okay, maybe keep them until after the bye week. But again, Week five a's Baltimore, and you want to go hit Baltimore in a face with everything you got, including a hopefully at that time healthy Joe Mixon. So that's down the road. We can handle that business once we get there. We gotta beat the Rams in week one, and that's a couple of weeks away. We're under two weeks away from Texans v. Rams at three twenty five Central Time on September seventh, and cannot wait.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get to our guest.
Speaker 2: We had an absolute blast talking to Andre where in fact, the first probably five to seven minutes of our discussion maybe the funniest discussion we've.
Speaker 1: Had in a while, and it deals with hot keys.
Speaker 3: Here we go to Woody.
Speaker 4: Over left guard across to five peason touchdown Houston, Woody marks power running into the end zone, good blocking on the left side, and the Texans are back in front of Detroit.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying, that's gonna be a hot key.
Speaker 1: I am just saying, did you say that's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be hot key in the call?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, So Ben, I'm gonna Ben, I'm gonna give you a challenge. I don't know if you can do this, but I know on in the loop what there's well, they used the hot key. They have a hot When I was talking about what he marks.
Speaker 3: That's that's okay, wait play him back to back.
Speaker 7: Ben, that is too good. Andres on the phone too. This is Andre, Yes, that is that is hot key right there.
Speaker 8: My intent was then what he marks wasting basically, uh, setting an example or telling you, hey, I'm arriving and you know, there's this whole competition going on, but running back and he's just making his mark.
Speaker 9: No pun intended, but that's kind of where I was coming from. I'm here to stay as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: That that was my thought on draft day, like this dude is coming to make an impact.
Speaker 10: You didn't even up, you didn't even need to say what you said, Dre. We got it all with this. H see that that explains everything.
Speaker 2: And on Draft weekend, I felt like, oh.
Speaker 9: Hey, god it before we just started this morning. Because this rarely has happened to me. I'm sure you guys, in your in your in your daily travels, fans approach you and you have conversations all the time. But I bet you you haven't had a fan approach you and tell you that they've listened to you for twenty twenty two years. So big shout out to Sydney Evans. I saw him in the gym this morning and we had a nice conversation. But twenty two years he's been listening to us, So thanks a bunch, Sidney.
Speaker 3: That's a that's huge, that's that's nice.
Speaker 10: You could shout out the name because that has happened to me, and I never shout the person out. So I'm really sorry now to everyone I haven't shouted out to about long time listening to Texans Radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all I get is, well, where were you the first eight years? Johnny?
Speaker 3: That's what? Exactly Where were you, Johnny?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 9: Where you were?
Speaker 1: Where you are not?
Speaker 6: Johnny?
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true, And I get I get to be back with the crew starting Sunday, September seven, so as much they.
Speaker 1: Love being with TV, I'm back with the Fam on Sunday.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but I watched broadcast. It was awesome. Yeah, great, we had did a great job. It was fun to watch. And but you didn't have this, Johnny, you didn't have this in the booth, Ben hit it again because see you didn't have that.
Speaker 1: That's that's my first time. It's my first time hearing that.
Speaker 2: And normally when I'm on the sidelines, I hear those things, so I would be like, oh, okay, we gotta we gotta keeps.
Speaker 1: But I didn't hear it until just now.
Speaker 10: That is an Andre wear legendary hockey. I don't know if it replaces the oh no though that yes.
Speaker 2: See okay, oh no is my that's my fault because that was the game against the Colts, and I remember they were they were blitzing us, and I remember saying oh no, and then I hear Andre say it right after me, and I was like, oh no, I planted. I planted to see Andre. It was a game against the Colts. I think it was one we ended.
Speaker 10: Up winning, which I really say was Thursday night. Maybe it doesn't sound like it was going that well.
Speaker 9: Recovered from thee Yeah.
Speaker 1: We didn't know. Uh. To me, my my favorite one.
Speaker 2: I mean, those are my two favorites, along with beating the Steelers and their fans leaving and Mark's.
Speaker 1: Like get out, get out. Yeah, there's that one.
Speaker 2: And then I don't know if we have this one on hockey with Kimmie Fairband and overtime beats the Titans.
Speaker 1: You could put those things in the trunk.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was a great one. I felt deeper for that.
Speaker 2: That was yeah, that was That was one of my favorites too, after beating the Oilers, Titans.
Speaker 3: Whatever they were.
Speaker 9: Was with us Mark, But do you remember the wow?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Trump, he's quick with it.
Speaker 9: But do you remember the wow? A long time ago? It almost sounded like a cat.
Speaker 10: Oh my gosh, Benny, I don't even know if Ben has that. It's been a while since we played that one. But Drey became another you know species at that point.
Speaker 3: It was good. It was good anyway, all right, Dray.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Now that that wasn't the one though. That's a wow, yes, but it was a wow where it was. It became a me out.
Speaker 3: At some point anyway.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna go to the position you play quarterback. Graham Mertz fourteen to sixteen. The other day, in his first real extensive playing time, I mean even through practice since the Minnesota game, he had three interceptions which weren't on him.
Speaker 1: What'd you a think about Mertz and B Dre? What do you do with the quarterbacks?
Speaker 11: We know?
Speaker 1: CJ? And Davis? One? Two?
Speaker 2: Do you keep two? Do you keep three? If you keep three, who do you want to keep? Would you like to keep all four? I don't think you can. Somebody's gonna have to have a spring toe today. Walk in the hallway. Somebody put them on. Ir What are your thoughts about what you're gonna do and what they're gonna do with the quarterback position?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think every team when when you start trying to round out a fifty three man roster, and I kind of go here first, there are some players you're going to have to kind of take a gamble on. And by that, I mean you're gonna have to put him out there to hope sit there with your fingers crossed for twenty four hours that they clear waivers. And I think Graham Merz is that guy. You'd love to bring him back of the practice roster, but you got to expose him first in order to get him on the practice roster. I think they have two solids and CJ. Stroud and Davis Mills as solid as there is in terms of starter and backup as there is around the league. Davis Mills is much much improved and you feel really good about if you have to go with him with it in terms of a stretch of games. But with Graham Merch, he's a draft pick that they spent a six round pick on, so he's going to get the benefit of the doubt. I think over Keaton Slovas, because there's an investment there, also think they're going to have to expose him in order to bring him back. And he's there after cutdowns, he comes back and he's on the practice roster or as your third quarterback. But there are guys on the roster and he's not the only one that they're gonna have to take a swing at and put him out there and kind of subject them to the waiver wied who if somebody wants them, if somebody is hurting at that position, or bring him back on the practice Russ and I think if it's going to a practice roster somewhere else over staying with the Texans where you just spent months learning this offense. This is where you're going to come back to.
Speaker 10: What do you make of these receivers. Now, I'm not saying any of these guys are going to make the team. They might make the practice squad. But Powell, Winfree, Cephis, they combined for one forty eleven catches a touchdown and this was on short order. Drace Cefiz was in Canada last year, but the system is different. He comes back two and a half weeks before the game, and then the other guys get back or get to the team that week and they go out and put up the numbers I just described. And it wasn't just dink and dunk. I mean, they were making plays. What did you think of that performance?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was very impressed with Powell Winfree and in terms of him blocking, Cephas had obviously a pretty good game as well. And they you know, with the addition of the expansion of the practice roster going to sixteen, one of those guys gave him themselves a chance, whether Cephas or Powell. Powell came man, picked up things. He made plays, not only on offense and catching the ball as well as blocking. But he made some plays and tackle of two on special teams. So when you can, when you can affect the game as a receiver in those three areas, you give yourself a chance. And then he came in on such short notice and was able to do exactly that. I think he's got a shot. So him, he and Cephas practice roster guys maybe, but they certainly did themselves well on Saturday. On Saturday, so.
Speaker 2: We've had a lot of quarterback movement in the league over the last I don't know, forty eight hours or so. I'm gonna ask you both this because we got to see it Thursday in practice and then we got to see it Saturday in a game after Jared Goff. How bad is that situation in Detroit? Dre and Mark Dre you go first.
Speaker 9: I've got more confidence I think in Kyle Allen than maybe a lot, And it's just because sometimes as a quarterback, it's finding the right mix and chemistry. And I alluded to this on the air. I think John Morton is a heck of a football coach, and he's now their offensive coordinator as well, Mark Brunell being their quarterback coach. And then you got Marcus tuiasa SOPO who is just kind of an offensive assistant but has played the position. And I talked to Kyle down on the sideline before the game and he's just like, you know, this is like quarterback Heaven for me. He understands better, he operates better, and it's just finding the right place at the right time. I think that's set up for them. Would they love to go seventeen games with Jared Golf and not have to ever play Kyle Allen? Absolutely? Is it realistic? Probably not, He doesn't have a big injury history. But if they had to go a game or so with Kyle Allen as their quarterback, I think they'd be Okay. Hnton Hooker, he has had the job taken from him. He was the quarterback going into the offseason and into training camp, the second guy rather in the pecking order, and Kyle Allen is just leapfrogging outplayed him in the preseason. And I would imagine as they're backup at this point in time.
Speaker 10: Interesting point, I think Kyle Allen on this team right now would do better than Kyle Allen on this team in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 10: I agree with that, So that's it's certainly worth watching. But we've got a long way to go here, and you know, hopefully for them Goff stays healthy. I'd love to see them again because that would mean we're playing them in February. Yes, that would be very nice. Indeed, Drey thoughts on the defense here. CJ. Gardner Johnson, we don't know the availability of him come cut down time tomorrow at three. I mean, this is one of the X factors, the variables that factors into if you put together a roster, let's say it's approximately twenty five defensive players twenty five offensive players. That's really going to create some interesting situations in the secondary, his availability or not, and.
Speaker 3: The D line as well.
Speaker 10: You know they keep ten or nine guys that they keep nine, you're cutting some interesting names. But I think the big headline here is you are pretty thick.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 10: You could use some depth in the secondary at corner and maybe it's safety of CJ. Gardner Johnson's not healthy, But overall, defensively, this is as good a defense as maybe you've ever put on the field.
Speaker 3: And they've had some good ones here.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's some playmakers across the board, and with CJ. Gardner Johnson, you just don't know. We won't have the way long though. We'll know tomorrow for sure exactly where he's going to start the season or if he's ready to actually start the season playing. If he is available and ready to go, and there's still some extra time before that Rams game, he I think he's gonna be just fine. They'll be fine in the secondary and Petrick can slide over and make some plays there.
Speaker 11: M J.
Speaker 9: Stewart I think has been another solid edition on the back end, along with Bullock who's a playmaker, Stingley and lass or Ballhawks. I think guys that may be the fifty oh, fifty one, fifty two, and fifty three may be in trouble. And I say that from a depth standpoint because you mentioned it at corner. There's gonna be some guys cut from other teams, and if you're the last couple of guys that make this roster, you could still be let go and then they pick up guys off the waiver wire. Two add that depth at at in the secondary, whether it's that corner and coort safety. So uh there, I mean some guys that make it and feel like whoa, they'll exhale today, but then once the wave of wire starts to present itself, there still may be some some movement.
Speaker 2: We need Austin Brateman to be healthy. By the way, that's a different discussion too. But I'll ask you this and maybe it fits into this, and I'm about to ask you've been talking about Oh, the depth is good.
Speaker 1: We've been talking all the good, the good, the good, the good.
Speaker 2: So let's bring it down a notch because all three of us have a concern maybe a couple, maybe more than a couple, but we at least have a chief concern about something.
Speaker 9: Where you're going before you finish your question.
Speaker 2: But go, okay, what is your one concern heading into week one? Like your chief concern? There might be a couple that are come buzzing, but you're like, man, there's one right here in front of us. What's your major concern each of you going into Week one?
Speaker 1: Dray? Was that the question you were thinking I was gonna ask.
Speaker 9: Pretty much? And you know, I think it's the inevitable. It's it's the guys up front, how how do they play? Because you haven't seen if it's Cam Robinson at left tackle or or Ursery who's at right time? I mean it's it's a mixture of of of guys, and the chemistry up up front needs to be there with those five more so than anywhere else on this football team. I think CJ has blended well with new receivers, the rookies Noel and as well as Higgins. Uh. You've had some superb play from the tight end group. Uh, and there's some consistency there, but it doesn't work unless the five guys up front, UH, do their their their portion of bits and hold up up front. And you haven't had. If Cam Robinson's going to start a left tackle, well, it'll be the first time they're all out there together, uh, this this preseason or to start the season. And that's kind of not That's not where you want to have it happen. So I I just get I get agitated sometimes when guys you think guys can go and they're not, and then they pull the move on you, and so on and so forth, because you know your position. Every one of them is important on this team, but none more important than the five guys up front.
Speaker 2: All right, Mark, what's your your chief concern going on. Trey's a good one.
Speaker 10: You guys hit on it because I think, and I could be wrong, it's pretty easy to name nine offensive linemen who make this football team, but it's not easy to know exactly how they're going to line up.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if we still know what what are they doing?
Speaker 10: In the joint practice it was Robinson left, Ursery right correct?
Speaker 1: No, No, Titus is that right?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 3: Titus was that ro.
Speaker 1: And Urcery had left, and then Cam was at the left with the twos.
Speaker 3: Cam was at the left with the twos. I'm not sure that's it.
Speaker 10: I think it's entirely in play that Robinson starts at left tackle, but I could be wrong because Titus could play any one of three spots. Still, I think it's also in play that they move back to left guard. I don't think they will, but I think that's a possibility.
Speaker 1: Could.
Speaker 5: So the whole thing's a big mystery. And Dre's right.
Speaker 10: They got to get the chemistry quickly because you're going on the road to play against a tough team that knows how to get after the quarterback. Now on the road against them, Look, they're on off. It's one of those things. Rams will be on offense. It'll be quiet for them. I don't think that building gets exceptionally loud.
Speaker 3: I could be wrong. We'll see whose house.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's well, yeah, see I knew it.
Speaker 2: I knew it because they're gonna throw that out there and marks if you described the actions going.
Speaker 1: Koop's house, Cook's house, Yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Mean it's in my DNA. You hear that and he just that's an automatic response for me and most trum.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: I don't imagine the Texans will have a pretty decent throng of fans.
Speaker 5: I would think, so we won l A. Yeah, there are a lot of creaks.
Speaker 9: The Texans fans travel well, man, we go everywhere we go. Now, what I want to see is that that the game in Seattle. How you know, let's see who's really committed when you when you start talking about going way up there.
Speaker 5: And on Monday night, eighth Pacific.
Speaker 9: Time camp part.
Speaker 2: It's uh seven Pacific time kick it's ten eastern.
Speaker 10: So it's seven Pacific, ten eastern. And that game nationally is on ESPN Plus, not ESPN ESPN Plus.
Speaker 9: If you're traveling for that one as a fan, you're essentially taking off baby maybe three days, Yeah, to travel the day of the game and obviously the day after because you're not coming right back after the game because it's so late, so you're you want to make that's a that's a mini vacation, so to speak.
Speaker 10: Right, you'll never catch a red eye out of Seattle after that game, so you're staying Tuesday and coming back, and you might be You're right, you might be taking a red eye Tuesday, because why those West coast trips.
Speaker 3: Are just awful to get back from.
Speaker 2: Those are two places on the West Coast and aren't bad to be staying in LA and Seattle.
Speaker 3: It's true, but.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying it's pretty nice.
Speaker 10: I just think that ten Eastern started. That'shoulda be weird for the league, that is. Do you think people are going to sign up for ESPN Plus to watch that game?
Speaker 1: I don't know if locally you'll be able to see it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, locally, it'll be on over the air TV. I believe it's on ABC thirteen.
Speaker 9: Anyway, we have a negative body clock effect, Mark, you know, we used to talk about that a lot.
Speaker 1: I go on the other way.
Speaker 5: It's going the other way.
Speaker 10: I usually think not, but they might have other ideas, so we'll see how they handle it. Drey, I gotta ask you about this because it is so late. Well we're going to get back at like eight in the morning, but we'll just suck it up. You know, it's it's a privileged so.
Speaker 5: Anyway, Uh, we are the home of the.
Speaker 10: Texas Bowl, all right, and so we talk a little college football here. And I know that you're vaguely familiar with the subject, Dre on ESPN Friday nights usually, but we've got a little ditty this Saturday, and it's time. I mean, here we go. It's college football season here. Do you have a game this weekend or are you off this weekend?
Speaker 9: I do actually this weekend. I'm on on Saturday to start the season, and I'll be up at A and M with A and M hosting UTSA. That would be a fun one. That's one that I can drive to and then come on back to the house and watch everybody else do their thing with it. Normally would be Colorado hosting Georgia Tech, but I'm gonna have Colorado two weeks later, so it never made sense to have us on Colorado two out of the first three weeks, so there was a little shuffling and a schedule for us. We'll have Colorado right on the campus at u of H after week two, and that's a trip to Louisville, so A and m Louisville U of H are the first three weeks, all.
Speaker 1: Right, also driving to two of the three. Man, that's nice.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 9: Indeed, the third week I don't even have to leave the city because I think the Texans had the Titans at home that weekend, So that's gonna be a fun, fun, fun deal.
Speaker 10: The one I want your opinion on is the Texas Longhorns at Ohio State Saturday, eleventh Central.
Speaker 3: Let's go, what do you think.
Speaker 9: I think it's a tough football game for Texas because you are replacing two offensive tackles that went to the NFL. I think there's another one or two offensive linemen that are being replaced as well. You're replacing a lot of players on defense. Running back, your top receiver and golden is gone. So just you know, plugging arch in and thinking oh, it's National championship time doesn't work. I saw that with Sam Bradford, who was a Heisman Trophy winner, get hurt when he when Oklahoma one year, replaced four offensive linemen, had all skill position players coming back. He took a beating in the opening game against BYU ultimately lost that game. He was out of the game. They knocked him out with a shoulder injury because they just kept pounding in the offensive line. The chemistry just hadn't developed, and he took a lot of punishment. Sam Bradford, I'm talking about and now I'm not saying that happens with arch but I'm saying, you got a lot to replace a him. And last I checked, no quarterback to Superman without the five guys in front of him holding up. So there, and you're and that game's on the road. So if you're asking me why I'm picking to win it, I'm gonna go Ohio State from the simple fact that they're at home. They're replacing a lot, including the quarterback, but it's a home game for them, and that that in and of itself is the reason I'm picking them.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, can't wait for that one, or should I say can't wait for that one?
Speaker 1: It's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: Can't wait Texas for the Ohio State arch Manning getting to start for ut. That is probably the sexiest thing, Julians saying, the young man from Ohio State starting U. And if there's somebody who knows all about starting at Ohio State for the first one, a big one like this, it's CJ.
Speaker 1: Shroud.
Speaker 2: He knows all about that. Okay, we get back. Let's talk to our guy in d Clue. We had plenty to catch up with n D my broadcast partner on preseason games. He was awesome to work with. Weklu all with us next right here in Texas All Access. Welcome back to Monday Initiative, Texans All Access from Monday Texans Radio Studio. I'm your host, John Harrits, football analyst, sideline reporter. And it has been a big, big day for a couple of guys that were holding in. In fact, I don't even know they're holding out in the NFL. Trey Henderson looks like he's about to get a deal, making him one of the highest paid defenders for twenty twenty five. Tompelo Serro Ian Rappaport both reporting that, so it looks like they're getting a contract. On to Terry McLaurin got a new contract today, So hold in get.
Speaker 1: Money or hold out get my I don't know either way.
Speaker 2: Michael Parsons still waiting to see what's gonna happen with him in Dallas, but it does look like to the bigger holdouts hold ins from this summer, Trey Hendrickson will apparently be signing a deal with the Bengals sometime soon, and Terry McLaren already did that, and so leclaren back at practice, and now Hendrickson gets back at practice. I mean, honestly, can we just say, hey, I want money and you know what, let's just get this deal done.
Speaker 1: With two weeks right after preseasons over? How about that?
Speaker 2: Because that's what we're doing. I mean, that's what these guys are doing. You know, you can go back and forth. Now the Mica stuff, that feels like it's getting personal in Dallas.
Speaker 1: But then again, I think a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people, as I see it, it'll get done. Not worried about it. If I'm a Cowboys fan, I think it's gonna get done. What may not in the future, though, is how long Mike ends up in Dallas, especially if David Mulaghetta, who I think is one of the better agents in the game, and that to me is what's gonna end up being something down the road.
Speaker 1: Do the Cowboys no longer drafted David Mulagetta client.
Speaker 2: I know we talked about that in Houston because everything I went down with the Shawn et cetera, et cetera. But this one is maybe getting to that point where the Cowboys like, we're not gonna take a move aget a client, were good, leave a good leave good player on the draft board for the rest of US teams that will because I know the Texas is dealt with davidget in the past. They made things happen, made things work with him. Maybe Cowboys notn't going to do that. So thank you Jerry and for many things, including twenty seventeen Hurricane Harvey. Okay, let's get to our conversation with our good pal in d klue. We caught up with him and talked about everything we saw in the preseason.
Speaker 1: We had a really fun time talking Andy.
Speaker 3: We have Eddie Kalou on the line.
Speaker 10: He did a great job in the preseason broadcast booth with Johnny Harris and Kevin Koogler and d We thought the story of the game was again running the football. The running backs we could talk about Mertz. I think that's a one a type story. But what did you make of what you saw Saturday preseason finale as we head for cutdown day tomorrow at three?
Speaker 6: You know, I saw a lot of guys competing, and like you said with Mertz, I saw a guy that if they decided to go with three quarterbacks, you have a young, developmental type guy.
Speaker 11: That you're gonna keep on the roster.
Speaker 6: But again, that's a luxury that too many teams don't get it to keep three quarterbacks. But I just really liked the way they finished the preseason. I like the aggressiveness of the play because you feel like that's just not the players out there, that's just the culture of that entire team. So it just felt good finishing the way they did.
Speaker 2: Andy, how tough is this weekend as both a player that could be cut and versus a player who's locking the roster, but it's seeing some of his boys get cut throughout this weekend? How tough is this as a player to kind of get through this before you can kind of get to the first week of practice for week one.
Speaker 6: It's funny you asked that John, I was talking to my son who's a Baylor. Now he's at that age where guys he's played with are on the bubble. They're trying to make teams. And I told him, man, these next few days are the worst and the best days, you know, these guys' lives, because some guys are gonna be told, hey, the dream is over, you know, and you're always gonna think to yourself, if I get cut, someone else will pick me up. I'll go to the UFL, get more film, and get back into the NFL. So you never have that that just hard end. You know, that herd stop. But for many guys that would be the last time that they play. But the cool thing on the positive side, you're gonna have some guys who weren't drafted, who were drafted sixth, seventh round and they end up making the team, and those are joyous stories. So such an emotional roller coaster when you look at the big picture of cutdown day.
Speaker 2: Okay, mark Im, I'll let you have a second. Yeah, I wanna build on that. Talk about sixth round surprise, seventh round surprise. Nick Asio has made deals at different points throughout his career as GM, and they got a sixth round pick back or they have a pick swap of fifth and a six, those kind of things. To Indy's point, you never know when that pick swap is gonna end up being the player that comes here and stays for however long. I mean, Henry Toto is a fifth round pick. Jared Patterson was a sixth round pick. Those guys have started for this team. So when there's a deal made today even early tomorrow, that we hear about where Nick has traded a player from this roster and gotten a sick round pick for him, that's.
Speaker 1: Not something to scoff at.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a victory in some sense that somebody that probably would have been cut ends up being a player down the road. Hey man, this guy ends up being a player for us for the next four or five years or more that we end up getting on late on Day three because in training camp of twenty twenty five, this guy was a pretty good player and we got a trade out of it.
Speaker 9: You know what.
Speaker 6: I'm so glad you bring that up, John, because and I know you're gonna feel me on this, because you're like me when it comes to, you know, being a football nerd. That's why I never quite understand when people kind of turn their nose up during the draft when we get to the fourth, fifth, sixth round because if you look at a roster, I don't know the exact number, and I don't want to tell you anything false, but there's more guys on a roster from like fourth round and below. But you know there's a stat something like that, and those are the guys that you get value. If you look at the roster, you could point out four or five six guys that are either starters or contributors that were drafted after the fourth round. So no, if you could pick up those six round picks, I never quite understood the thought during the draft, Oh, just trade away that sixth round pick, it doesn't matter, or just waste it on a kicker, you know, it doesn't matter. Like there's some gems, in my opinion, that you could find in the later rounds. And when it's all said and done, it's a numbers game.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 6: The more you bring in, some guys are going to fail that are higher picks. Other guys are going to succeed. So I'm all for getting as many picks as possible.
Speaker 10: Wow, it's interesting because like at a sales organization, you have the eighty twenty rule. Eighty percent of the stuff is sold by twenty percent of the staff, and those are your key salespeople and the rest of the staff.
Speaker 3: You're like, all right, you guys, do whatever you do.
Speaker 10: But on a sports team, especially an NFL team, those eighty percent who aren't making the money that the twenty percent are, because the twenty percent are going to make eighty percent of the money roughly, those eighty percent have to do great jobs for you. Otherwise you're not gonna win as a team. You're just gonna have this lopsided situation. And d I want to get give me two of your favorite defensive linemen not named Will Anderson or Daniel Hunter, because those guys are easy pickings.
Speaker 3: And I know you love Will Anderson.
Speaker 10: You have actually said, and I'm going to out you off the record that you want to adopt him. But we won't tell anybody but other than those guys who impressed you on this D line, because I'm looking at tough decisions there, especially if they want to keep and I think they do six linebackers. If they want to keep ten dbs, this gets really tough at the end of that D line.
Speaker 3: Group, so give me two or three of your favorite guys.
Speaker 6: Well, I like those inside guys. You know, Ceti, Cossi. We didn't get to see it. We did not get to see a lot of him during this preseason, but the eleven games he started last year you understood why he's been around in this league for as long as he has. And get another guy that was either drafted later or even undrafted, if I'm not mistaken, Tim Settle, Like I think Tim Settle's a dog. And when I say Doll, I mean in a good way, like that's one of those guys you just want to play with. Sheldon Rankins. I really like those three guys interiorly. So when you look at the Will Anderson's Daniel Hunter, they're gonna get all the press, as they absolutely should, but a lot of those sacks are they're getting is because they're beating the tackle around the edge, and those guys in the middle aren't given the quarterback any room to step up. So I just really think those those interior linemen, the feder Pascity, Tim Settle, Sheldon Rankins, those are guys that don't get their due. They're kind of like offensive linemen where they do the grunt work and the teammates they appreciate it, but they don't get the press clippings.
Speaker 2: And we were talking about earlier. Obviously Graham was really good. Graham Mertz at quarterback on Saturday. We saw three preseason games together. Keithon Slovas threw it pretty well. We know that CJ. Stroud is a starter for this team, and Davis Mills is definitely and he's throwing it well throughout all training camp. He's thrown it as well as I've seen him. How would you go about handling this quarterback situation going forward? With these four? You'd love to be able to keep four, but then you have to kind of get creative. Do you want Mertz exposed to Waivers Slovas out there? How do you go about this quarterback situation with three and four?
Speaker 1: Do you keep three? D you keep two? How would you do it? GM?
Speaker 3: And d Klue.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, because I feel like you're gonna have to carry an extra safety and an extra running back due to injuries to some guys that you just know you're not gonna cut, So I'm thinking you have to keep two quarterbacks. I love Davis Mills as your backup quarterback, and with Graham Mertz, you put them on practice squad and if somebody signs them to their active roster, you shake his hand and.
Speaker 11: Said, you know what you earned it, go make that money.
Speaker 6: But you know, with every scenario, the rainbow situation is, oh, let's keep this guy, let's keep that guy. But the reality you only have fifty three spots. You're gonna have to keep an extra running back and extra safety. So I don't think the Texans have that luxury in my opinion of keeping three quarterbacks. Now. Nick to Cereal gets paid a lot of money, has done an awesome job over the years, so he figures out a way to keep three quarterbacks.
Speaker 11: More power to him.
Speaker 6: But I think what Mertz did this past weekend, he just allowed everyone else to notice that, Hey, if you need a number two, check out this film.
Speaker 11: I might be that guy.
Speaker 10: We said, GM and D Kalud, not Mertz's agent. D Geez, what are you doing to me over here? I need Mertz on this football team now because and look, I know I'm going a little Mertz crazy this morning, but I liked what I saw and.
Speaker 3: Here's the moment.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's the thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, prisoner of the moment is a great way to put it, because ND I look at what Mertz did, and I'm looking around the league saying he's better than that backup.
Speaker 3: He's better than that backup.
Speaker 10: It's not just now, it's what he can do for you in the future, because they draft all these rookies and you want to catch lightning in a bottle somewhere. And I'm not saying he's the guy, but he looks pretty good to me. I think if you let him go, you expose him, somebody might take him. And by might, I mean will. I think that he's got a good chance to get scooped up by one of these teams that's not so thick at the quarterback position, certainly as a number three maybe.
Speaker 3: So I feel like I got to keep him on the roster.
Speaker 10: But you already shared how you felt about that, and I get it, and you mentioned this the running back position.
Speaker 6: I really like, and that's British Brooks, Like, that's the guy that I can just see him behind that starting offensive line. I can just see him playing with ones that having success if they open up holes. But isn't that the case every year? Going back to Jonathan Grimes. I remember. I don't know if y'all remember that name.
Speaker 11: Listen.
Speaker 6: I know y'all do, but I remember thinking, Johathan Grimes, oh man, this is gonna be the greatest story in the world. For some reason, it seems like the running back position is at one position where there's always going to be three or four guys that are let go that you can envision them playing and playing a lot for your squad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, British Brooks is when we've talked about, but we haven't, so I'll go to that realm. Yakub can play full back, and he's a true fullback. I don't know how much Yakub could play tight end because a lot of times you're thinking about what are we keep it at tight end? You bring in the full backs, you bring in the tail the tight ends. You kind of like British Brooks does tailback pretty well. I think he could play full back, and in fact, in one of the practices I remember seeing him at fullback. So it was kind of going back to that thought of, well, maybe he can be a fullback, and then you know, on special teams you could argue he was the best special teams player this team had he had a couple. He had a rock solid tackle against Minnesota. I'm with Indy, I just wish that's a guy that I could keep around in some way, shape or form, But my numbers get squeezed so much. To Indy's point, safety, you probably got to keep an extra one because you don't know the health the CJ.
Speaker 1: Gardner Johnson and then.
Speaker 2: Running back is one you just you don't know how it's gonna play out. But when you're talking about guy forty eight, forty nine to fifty, they got to be able to do multiple things for you or be a specialist in a particular area, like maybe you're a pass rush specialist. I don't know, but that might be. You know, the thing for British Brooks, the one for me and d is linebacker, and that's the one.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Man, he got his ease.
Speaker 2: He's gonna got a little minor thing, but I guess he's gonna be okay injury wise. You got Henry, you got Christian, you got e J. Speed, And I know you and I talked a lot about EJ. You pointed out the first game and that he was tremendous. How would you look at the linebacker situation with guys behind him like Jake Hanson, who is pretty good in preseason, You've got Jamal Hill, You've got Nick Neemon, and then you got the two rookies.
Speaker 1: I think linebacker gets pretty.
Speaker 2: Tough as well, especially because those guys can all be pretty good on special teams in d What are your thoughts.
Speaker 6: That's a very tough one and it just goes to show how many great players you know great in college don't make it in the NFL because we're naming some guys, whereas casey Oside, whether it's Jake Hanson Woodard who shown up on film during the preseason, but they're not gonna be able to keep them. I actually think John it's easier at the linebacker position than some of the others. And when I say easier, because they have so many good guys in depth, the biggest question is gonna be how are you gonna get ej Speed on the field.
Speaker 11: How are you.
Speaker 6: Gonna get Henry toatoa Christian Harris all those guys on the field together, or you're gonna have to do different packages to meet Jake Canson if healthy, you leave them all because of what he does with special teams and every time he plays, if somebody goes down, he always he's very solid. He's a solid player where you're not thinking, oh, you know, Jake Canson has to start because ex players down, so there's gonna be this big hole. So I think Jake Canson is a must than Casey Osi with what he does physically. If he could just learn, be in the system, be on practice squad, but being that playbook, and really fight for a spot next year, I think that would be the ideal situation.
Speaker 10: And Dy, what is this week like for players? I know it's different from when you played because the practice squad was a very different thing. It was ten people. I think the number changed while you were playing throughout your twelve year career. You were in the league for a long time. But anyway, it's different now with the sixteen player practice squad. There are more job opportunities than ever, in opportunities to get elevated to the active roster than ever. But what is it like when teammates of yours might be getting cut, when you might be getting cut?
Speaker 3: What is this week like for players?
Speaker 6: It's tough, I mean, and again and you mentioned that it just depends where you are in your career. So in my twelve years, the first three years, I'm sitting right now looking at my phone praying that I don't get that call. You know, you're praying that your phone doesn't rain because this is cut down day. And then you're kind of anxious. You get excited as it gets closer to Tuesday at three o'clock. But then if you're a guy that you know you're going to make the team, you're feeling bad and you're looking at the waiver wire. You're kind of getting online seeing which one of your boys got cut. And then when it's and you know, you're like, you have a feel. I hate to admit it. There were times, and look this is coming from a guy who was cut his second year, but there are times when I wasn't gonna get cut. Where me and the guy right next to my locker, Derek Burgens, we were trying to determine, Okay, who's gonna be the fifty three man roster, and we're putting a list together and a guy walks by us and we're like, nah, he's cut. They were, you know, trying to play GM but but then when it happens, we feel bad like like we feel bad because it's like we know the work that they put in. So for a guy like the guys.
Speaker 11: We've mentioned the British book Brooks, excuse.
Speaker 6: Me, the Jay Kanses, they're they're they're thinking to themselves, Hey, I did all I could and I can't control certain things, so now it's in God's hands. It's not in my hands anymore. But when you don't get that call after the deadline man mark, it is such a great feeling, like you just feel this relief, You feel the weight that's been lifted off your shoulder. And but what sucks then is the fifty one, fifty two to fifty three. You're never really comfortable, like you're never you're never really comfortable, so you're always looking over your shoulder. You know that every Tuesday, every NFL team's bringing in about twenty guys to work them out as they try to improve.
Speaker 11: So just depend on where you are in your roster.
Speaker 6: But for the guys that end up making it that we're on the bubble, it's a beautiful, beautiful feeling.
Speaker 2: All right, We get back a little bit of news around the NFL ready here in Texas, All Access scene a bit.
Speaker 1: What's up everybody.
Speaker 2: We got one final segment here on a Monday, the issue of Texans All Access from Monday Texans Radio Studio. I am your host, John Harris, So glad a to be back from Detroit, b to be your host. Appreciate you being with us. We got plenty of stuff going on in Texans world this weekend, in particular the fifty three man roster cut down. Now, as Nick Cassario outlined, as Zmiko Ryans reiterated, probably won't know what the fifty three man roster is in full until tomorrow at three. The Texans have been fairly consistent with doing everything possible to make trades, to make moves, and then taking it all the way to the three pm deadline. So I think that's when we'll find out everything. There will be drips and drabs tomorrow that come out. Somebody's saying, go by to Houston, hate the Houston, thanks for the opportunity. You may see a few other things as well, So just keeping all of that in mind as you go through the rest of tonight, that might be something that pops out. The news of today in our Texans world is the fact that Joe Mixon will be moved from the active NFI to reserve NFI. And what that means is, in other words, because there's so many NFI pup in c'son pup IR designated return, it gets kind of confusing. Basically moving Joe from the list he was on to this new list that they're gonna move him to, it means he's out the first four games. In those games, the Texans are at LA to take on the Rams, they're at home taking a Bucks, they're on the road to take on Jacksonville, and then they're at home to take on Tennessee. He's eligible to start practicing heading into the week against Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Then there's the buye.
Speaker 2: So the question becomes, well, they want to just give him another couple of weeks to make sure he's a hundred percent ready to start basically the second half of the year in Seattle Monday night, so you get an extra week in a day.
Speaker 1: If that's the case. Joeby chomping at the bit. Joe wants to play.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 1: I know Joe and I know how he reacts, and he wants to play. Now. This is killing him. That said, I.
Speaker 2: Think the Texas running backs are going to be quite okay. Some other news around the league. Trey Hendrickson getting a deal done. He's getting more money this year, still will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. Terry mclaarin signed his deal with the Washington Command. There's three years, ninety six million dollars, so I was glad for that. I like Terry McLaurin. He's one of my non favorite Texans. Sotory with non Texans. Yeah, he's one of my favorite non Texans in the league.
Speaker 1: I like him.
Speaker 2: I loved him at the Senior Bowl. I just thought he was a player of the Texans would highlight didn't get their hands on him, but it happens. Jacoby Myers wide receiver, requests the trade from Las Vegas Raiders. Kind of like the Texans are pretty good shape receiver wise, so I don't think they'll get in that mix whatsoever. But Jacoby Myers wants out of Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: They were trying to get a deal done or he wanted to, guess the Raiders didn't want to, so they are at an impasse at this point and he wants to move on.
Speaker 1: So that's gonna do it. For today's news, tomorrow's news.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, get ready because there's gonna be a fifty three man roster.
Speaker 1: Mark and I will talk about it.
Speaker 2: I'll take your calls tomorrow night, so make sure you are locked and loaded tomorrow night for Texans All Access. Well, seeing that everybody dot int as always go Texans