Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Carol Master along with Tim stenovikleven Our Bloomberg Interactive Broker Studio. We all just listen to Jamie Diamond on Bloomberg. JP Morgan, by the way, featured very prominently in a new book out on the nineteen twenty nine market crash, and this feels like kind of the right conversation to be having at this moment in time when certain investing narratives dominate US financial markets, AI, private credit, transparency concerns, crypto prediction markets, and more questions about whether these narratives are the right ones that lead to longer term gains and prosperity for investors and for the country.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of questions.
Speaker 1: Out there, yeah, stub about exuberants as well. Could it lead to a crisis or to a crash? It does lead us to nineteen twenty nine, a book that takes us inside the greatest crash in Wall Street history and how it shattered a nation. The book by New York Times bestselling author of Too Big to Fail, who also happens to be an award winning journalist for The New York Times. He's a founder and editor at large of Deal Book. He's anchor of Squawk Box on CNBC. Andrew Ross Sorkin joins us. Now, welcome, thanks for having me, guys. Yeah, thanks for jeving me here. You know, it's funny. Jamie Diamond was asked about just now by David Rubinstein about the financial crisis and about whether or not we could have another big financial crisis. Our question for you is, in this day and age, could we have another nineteen twenty nine like stock market crash? Or is the structure just completely different? Are the protections now in place? Could it happen again?
Speaker 4: So yes and no. I can explain why no, And then if you'd like, I can get you there if you want to get if you want to go there. Look, the good news is the world is very different today from a technology perspective. One of the reasons that nineteen twenty nine ever even happened was literally the stock exchange was oftentimes off, meaning the numbers that you saw on the big board were three four five hours behind the actual the actual numbers, and as a result, people were just selling indiscriminately because they just thought the whole thing didn't even work. I mean, one of the reasons you always see this famous pictures of people down the New York SAX ex Change next Planta. The reason they're there, the reason they're all in the street, is these are people who come from all over New York and the rest of the country to try to find out, like what's happened to their money. So that piece of it you take off the table because you can get the numbers right here and off of your terminal and everything else. There's an SEC Insider trading is not legal. It was legal then, sore all the manipulation that was taking place. There was no FDIC, so you had bank runs that took place in the aftermath of this crisis. You know, we could talk about Glass Stiegel and what that either representator didn't or whether you think it's come back or not. But here's a bigger one. Capital requirements for banks there were none zero back then. So there's a lot of reasons you'd like to believe that we can't have another crisis of the magnitude we did. And by the way, it's also worth noting the crash in nineteen twenty nine. It wasn't preordained that when that happened that we had to have a Great Depression. That was really the first domino of a series of dominoes, and then a series of frankly terrible policy choices, the Federal Reserve basically doing nothing, the implementation of tariffs. We can discuss what that means today. You know, there was a gold standard, so there was a question about how much money you could throw into the system. Austerity, all of that that worked against things that led to twenty five percent of unemployment didn't have to happen, if you will.
Speaker 2: I have to say that was one of the things in reading your book that I was like, wait, I think there was just an assumption that it was the market crash that caused the great depressions.
Speaker 4: Always everybody fasted, like there's one bad day and then somehow there's a great depression. But there's so much in between.
Speaker 2: You know, listen, so many people on your book tours like everybody's like, nineteen twenty nine happen again. And I do wonder, is there a better, smarter question that we should be asking you. Having done all this research and taken us back there, making us feel like we.
Speaker 3: Were in the room when it happened, you know that we should.
Speaker 4: Be asking you, Well, look, it didn't happen, and then I'll tell you, I'll give you actually how you could get to nineteen thirty two today, And that sort of maybe speaks to this. So one of the lessons that came out of nineteen twenty nine, it was actually the lesson that Ben Bernanke learned when he was doing his Great his thesis on the Great Depression at Princeton is when there's a crash or a crisis or a panic, the playbook is to throw money at the problem. Maybe politically unpopular, but that is the lesson. And he did it in two thousand and eight, and by the way, we did it again during the pandemic. And I think we now think that there is a playbook. And by the way, there's also therefore a put on the market because we now we have the playbook. The one thing that's different this time is if you genuinely believe every financial crisis to some degree is a function of debt. Too much debt in the system. So far we're all talking about corporate debt. Really back then, there was in nineteen twenty nine, there was a budget surplus in America. Now we have thirty eight trillion dollars The question is, let's say we have a crash and the government says, you know, we're gonna write a check for five trillion dollars. That's the put and whether you believe that there is some kind of invisible line that turns into a red line for the bond market where they say, you know what, we like you guys in America. We'll happy to lend you money at three or four times the rate that we do today. And that's the interest that you're going to pay. And then all of a sudden you actually do get into some kind of austerity spiral, and then you're living at a twenty five percent unemployment rate in the country. That's I mean, when you really started trying to get through the permittations, how do you get there in this day and age. That's one way. One other thing that's interesting today is the technology, as bad as it was then, in some cases, could even be too good today. And I think we learned that with the Silicon Valley Bank of Failure, where someone goes on Twitter and says, I'm pulling my account. Now that information is accurate.
Speaker 1: Everybody does it over the weekend on their pe.
Speaker 4: Everybody does it. I used to think, oh, this device is so great because if there was a bad piece of information be corrected very quickly. But if there's an accurate piece of information that's not.
Speaker 3: Good, right, people act on it quickly.
Speaker 1: Well, so let's talk more about the technology today and sort of parallels and the idea of maybe irrational exuberance and signs of irrational exuberance right now. In reading the book, in the nineteen twenties, there were certainly a lot of that, but it seemed like it was, you know, more on credit and people buying on margin. Nowadays, there's the idea of crypto some of that has been kind of pulled back, and in just a couple of months actually, since since you published the book, we've seen something. There is a lot of debt in the crypto market, I mean shocking about leverage. So there's there's that side of things. There's prediction markets and sort of the money that's going into those, the excitement around those private credit and concerns about private credit that we've seen in the last couple of months, any signs of anything there.
Speaker 4: Look, the private credit business has always concerned me because of the transparency of it, or frankly, lack of transparence. I think if you were to talk to J. Powell, he would tell you that, you know, even the Federal Reserve doesn't have a full grasp of how interlinked all of the debt and credit is in the private credit market. Having said that, depending on what numbers you're looking at, you could argue, it's only two trillion dollars two trillion dollars a lot of money. But it's not. It's not the entire market. It's stem So I don't know if it's I don't know if it's systemic. By the way, I might worry more today about short term treasuries. I mean, by the way, we the United States have been trying to sell short term treasuries like crazy because we think that we can get a cheaper rate that way. That's also a much more complicated place to be if, in fact, you actually have to pay it back more quickly.
Speaker 2: One of the questions we were kicking around when we're thinking about having our discussion with you, is is Wall Street greedier today?
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's greedier today. Frankly, I always argue agreed, Look, I think.
Speaker 3: There's greed bad necessarily, I think.
Speaker 4: The lesson for me of writing this book in some ways was that they didn't use the phrase back then. But this idea of fomo, which by the way, is driven in part by this phone and talk and people seeing all sorts of things, and by the way, I think makes inequality. Actually I don't know if it makes it worse, but the perception of it and just the visibility of it. But I do think the sort of fomo greed envy, I think that's what's driven. That is what's driven people for you know, the test of time, and that's what it is. Is it is it worse today than it was before? I don't know, except and maybe this gets to the inequality piece. I think there are more people who think that they're effectively unable to actually make it, and therefore more willing to take risk and more willing to sort of try to grab this lottery ticket as opposed to sort of make it over time slowly. So so on.
Speaker 1: That the ultra wealthy today versus the ultra wealthy back then. And reading the book, there's a lot of you know, people have their yachts and in some in some cases actually sailing to work in Lower Manhattan on the yacht. Absolutely today, the wealthiest people today, how much different are their lives versus the ultra wealthy, and not with the technology, but I mean what they were able to do versus what the normal person is able to do. I mean you have, you know, billionaires going to space.
Speaker 2: Now, I think.
Speaker 4: There is a distinction. But look, I think you go back and I think of JP Morgan's son, he was building the biggest, the biggest yacht at the time. People would have thought that's like, you know, the gates, Obezos, whatever yacht you're thinking of. I think that there was a distinction. But I remember having an interesting conversation oddly enough to drop a name with President Obama, interesting maybe two thousand and fifteen about the idea that and I think this is true in the twenties, but really true even just twenty five years ago. I think CEOs people of means were oftentimes living in the same neighborhoods with the people who worked on the factory floor of their companies, and as a result, their kids went to the same schools, and they went to the same temples and churches, and ran into each other at the same restaurants and markets. And I think that there's a cohesion there that's important for our culture, and I think that increasingly that has come apart.
Speaker 2: We were talking with Andrew Ross sork In the book is nineteen twenty nine Inside the Greatest Crash in Wall Street History and how it shattered a nation. You know, politics got in the way of regulating banks and markets back then, and I think it was kind of fascinating to see.
Speaker 3: Some of that.
Speaker 2: Is there a parallel to that today when you look at the activities Andrew coming out of the White House on things like cryptocurrencies, regulatory oversight, Like, I just wonder how you see that?
Speaker 4: Well, I'll give you actually a parallel that may seem like not like a parallel, but to me is which is we're all talking about right now the politicization potentially and independence of the Federal Reserve. I actually remember, as I was working on this book, looking at the diaries of a lot of the people who worked on the Federal Reserve on the board, and it was still such a new institution born in nineteen thirteen that they were concerned about the political implications of either raising or lowering interest rates at any given moment. They actually cared about the politics now It wasn't that Hoover was telling them exactly what to do, but they were so scared, not that they were just going to get hauled up in front of Congress from making the wrong choice, but that the entire thing, which people still called back then the experiment at that point, that Congress could effectively disband this very idea. And so I raised that only because it's clear to me that actually the independence of the FED matters. In fact, one of the reasons I think that they didn't act more forcefully in nineteen twenty nine and in nineteen thirty and after that was in part because there was their own concern about the politics, putting aside whether the White House was telling them one thing to do or the other.
Speaker 3: Do we have that today, I think.
Speaker 4: Less so, or at least up until recently less so. I think that maybe in the same way that clearly those governors of the FED back then were cognizant and nervous about the politics. I mean, I don't think this bed things are going to be disbanded, but I think that they're cognizant. They are very aware, very aware of what the President's saying, what their reputations are going to be like as a result what people are saying about them, whether they have to do certain things to demonstrate their independence. I mean, that's the thing. The idea of demonstrating your independence effectively means you might even make a decision that might not be the decision you'd otherwise make, but you're doing it for your own reputation. So yes, I think that all of that is not healthy.
Speaker 1: Does the FED keep that in a few months when Jay Powell is no longer FED chair, And look, we can't see the future. We don't know who will be nominated.
Speaker 4: I have a view that is maybe contrarian in this space, which is there's a board and there's a number of people on that board. I've never believed that the entire FED is controlled by one human being. It just isn't. And so I think it's very important who is running it telling you it isn't. But I do think there will be people on that board, those who care also about their own independence, who will, By the way, another reason I think Ja Powell may ultimately stay on that board for that reason.
Speaker 3: That you went there. Because we're hearing that a lot, right, Because we.
Speaker 2: Keep waiting, we're going to expect to hear an announcement. It just keeps getting pushed off, and I just think there's.
Speaker 4: A lot no. No, By the way, it's not that I think that jap I was going to be in this role for forever. They're gonna let him stay, No, but just that you know, he can stay for another two years after this on the board, on the board, and I think it is more likely that he will stay. And in fact, to the extent that this the President would somehow like to use that spot for for somebody that he'd like to nominate, I would argue this, this whole thing has backfired. In fact, you know, I was talking to Harvey Schwartz at the New York Economic Club yesterday from Carlisle, and he made the point most people, most taxi drivers, people in the street didn't care about the the idea of FED independence at all. A week ago, they didn't even know. I mean, this has been an academic conversation for the most part. Now it's like a thing. Yeah, and people constituents across the country all of a sudden care about this issue. They may start to call their Congress. I mean, it's very interesting what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was actually I've shared this story before, but I was with a friend's Sunday night who he follows the news, but he's not in financial news or anything, and he picks up his phone. He's like, have you seen this video from j Powell? I was like, why do you care about Jay Powell? And that's how big of a deal it was over the weekend.
Speaker 4: And so to me, that's why, in some ways I think Harvey Schwartz is probably right. The idea of fetting dependence may have actually become more important and potentially even stronger, at least in the short term.
Speaker 2: Hey, I want to ask you about the process. I remember reading Too Big Defail, loved it and reported through it and was able to I think, like you talk to some of the people who were in the room when it all happened. I remember driving to John mack on a panel of course, formerly a Morgan Stanley and getting that actual physical tech from Mitsubishi. It felt like it felt like, excuse me, you were in the room like the way I read it, So to tell me how you did that?
Speaker 3: So unform what was the box of things that you've got?
Speaker 4: You're like, oh my gosh, so unfortunately all of these people were not allIt.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: What and you really I spent about eight years, really, you know, just combing through boxes and boxes and materials, some at libraries, some from families that were involved in this universities. I was able to convince, after a lot of knocking on doors, the Federal Reserve in New York to give me access to the board minutes. That was something that they haven't given out over the past one hundred years. They, by the way, interesting on their website today you can get you know, last month's board minutes. You still can't get the nineteen twenty nine board minutes. But that sort of became a treasure map for me. But a lot you know, when you see two people talking to each other in a room, what's oftentimes happening is I'm finding a series of depositions. For example, where Charlie Mitchell, who's the main character of the book, ran National City, which become a city group. You know, he would be interviewed in the deposition or in a civil case. There were also criminal cases where they would ask him, you know, where were you when X happy He said, well, I was walking down the street and I got to sixty fifth Street, and what did you say to so and so, and I said such and such, And then they would interview his colleague and they'd say, well, you were standing on the corner, what did you say to it? And he would say, this is what I said. And then they'd interview his wife and so when you though all of those quotes are real. And then oftentimes I would go and try to find the architecture plans or a photograph of the room so I could really try to put you in it, and I try to understand what the weather was that day and what you know, whether it was light out or not, all of these sort of little things so that again, if you're trying to as a narrator narrator, you can sort of feel like you're.
Speaker 2: There, right.
Speaker 1: Was there a time when you were, you know, in some sort of archive over the last ten years doing this where you got this sort of treasure trove of correspondence between two people and you were like, Okay, this is what I need, this is the ticket. It's just going to illuminate.
Speaker 4: You know what it was? One of it was like or is it just so peaceful? No, it was like it would either be raining, like you're in the rainforest and it was fabulous, or just like the desert for nods, and you'd know because you'd go to these places looking for stuff and then you'd go through all these boxes and there'd be nothing, and then you'd be so depressed, and then magically something would happen. I mean there, I will say there was one moment for me still that I think was just like a true aha, which is one of the main characters of the book is Carter Glass, of course, is the Glass to Eagle. He was a senator in Virginia, and I think I had an impression going in. You know today, it's off that bill is often held up by Elizabeth Warren other people as this sort of pure effort to really break up the banks for all the right reasons, and I found a trove of correspondence that showed, I think, maybe for the first time, that in fact, parts of that bill were actually written by a out their banker trying frankly to screw over JP Morgan. And you think to yourself about, you know, money in Washington and lobbying, and I thought, oh, the good old days, they didn't do things like that. And it's no different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly what I.
Speaker 1: Want to talk about Evangeline Adams.
Speaker 4: Ie the Evangeline, the.
Speaker 1: Character that everybody wants to talk about. Well, we should explain who she has for people.
Speaker 4: Ev Angeline Adams is an astrologer. She had an office up at Carnegie Hall on fifty seventh Street, and every banker in town would go visit with her. She had a newsletter. I mean, I like to think deal book is successful. She had a newsletter with one hundred thousand subscribers. Back then. People would go visit with her. They'd pay fifty dollars an hour to sit with her, and they she would ask her what's going on for the stock market, and she would tell them. They would go off and make their trades, And it was just She's just an unbelievable character. Even believe that something like that existed and that serious people were, you know, really engaged with what she was saying and doing.
Speaker 1: It was almost like she was a confidant for some of these people, which was pretty surprising to me.
Speaker 4: I almost think of her as a psychiatrist, like a therapist for people back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, just the similarity is like I think about kind of the Wall Street South that existed right with folks in Florida, and we have that today, Tom Springs.
Speaker 4: I mean when I learned that mar A Lago happened to be owned by who if Hutton, which is just such an indication of what was going on in America at that time. And by the way, if Hutton had also moved in I don't know if you saw it to the Plaza Hotel, the famous Oakroom, which is a bar right during profession, had become a brokerage house.
Speaker 2: So do you feel like you have a better understanding of what would cause Like Jamie Diamond said, we may not get another great financial crisis, but there will be a problem. Like do you feel like you know, I think because everybody keeps saying could we get this again?
Speaker 3: Is it likely?
Speaker 2: Or do you get a better indication of like what we should be watching out for in terms of what marks?
Speaker 3: Is it leveraging? Is it think it's always leveraged.
Speaker 4: It's it's just it's like a one word answer. It's probably boring. Leverage is the match that lights the fire every single time. You could have all the bad actors you want on stage doing all the bad, greedy things you could possibly imagine, but there isn't the leverage piece. It's very hard to have a true systemic problem, you know. I was shocked to know that at the end of nineteen twenty nine the stock market was only down seventeen percent, And I actually think it was a headfake for a lot of politicians who were looking at the market and saying, oh, looks like things are better. But most people didn't appreciate that during the fifty percent downdraft that had happened prior to that, it wasn't just that equities had fallen fifty percent. Is that people had taken out loans, oftentimes ten to one. So they didn't just ow, oh what the equity was that had fallen. They were getting margin calls saying you got to sell your house, and so it's that. And I think we saw that again in two thousand and eight with the subprime crisis, and I mean, you can it repeats.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny, you know, the Joe Kennedy thing about like when is it your shoeshine guy?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And I always think about before the GFC being on a yoga retreat in Mexico and everyone was talking about buying real estate, and I thought, this is like, this is just weird, like those little snippets of things as an indicator that things are just exuberant irrationally.
Speaker 3: Perhaps is that fair?
Speaker 1: I think it's fair.
Speaker 3: I think Look, I think all of these are, with all the data that we have, right to look at the mark.
Speaker 4: All these are red flags being thrown on the field. But just because maybe I should say yellow flags being thrown on the field. And the question is when do they turn red? And I think that's the hard part to know. You know. Famously, here we are started the segment coming out of Jamie Diamonds's interview in two thousand and eight. His daughter had come to him, as this is all happening and said, Dad, what's a financial crisis? And he said it's something that happens every seven or eight years. And so I think the truth is, well, check your calendar. We might be due.
Speaker 1: We're speaking with Andrew Ross, sork And, author of nineteen twenty nine Inside The Greatest Crash in Wall Street History and how it shattered a nation? Does Herbert Hoover get a bad rap?
Speaker 4: So I have maybe more empathy for Herbert Hoover than others. It's not that I think he made the right decisions in fact, he made a series of very poor decisions. It's just that I think, at least historically, the narrative that's been described on him is that he didn't even understand what was happening. I think he understood very well what was happening. I think he had some of the wrong people in his ear, including Andrew Mellon, who was his treasure secretary, who had a terrible, unfortunately relationship with early on. I think his decision on tariffs was completely misplaced. Why did he do that? He did that, by the way, for political reasons, because in nineteen twenty eight is he's running around the country desperate to get farmers to vote for him. He's pledging to them, you vote for me, I'll help you.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, wait, are you talking about two thousand and twenty.
Speaker 4: Years and so. But when he hits you know, and by the way, nineteen thirty rolls around every economist in America, all the bankers are saying, please don't do this, mister president, and he says, well, I have to do it because I pledge these folks that I would. So you see these sort of repeat things. And it's not that he didn't know what he was doing. I think he just didn't understand. He was also, unfortunately for him, a terrible, terrible communicator, right, And I will say maybe this is true of all presidents. He had this view that he could somehow jawbone people into believing that things were better than they really were. And I think we're seeing that now, by the way, with the last idllustration that is a bipartisan tactic by the White House.
Speaker 2: What's your biggest takeaway from doing this? My understanding is you wanted to do this because people used to ask you, you know, nineteen twenty nine versus two thousand and eight, But tell me.
Speaker 3: You wanted doing this.
Speaker 4: I mean selfishly, I felt like I now understood what actually happened. Just as a student of history. I actually just genuinely wanted to really get it. I want to know who the people were. I wouldn't understand their incentives or their motives were why they were doing what they did. And I think ultimately the truth is that we are all human beings. Maybe it's fomo, maybe it's envy. Maybe we all want more, and that's for better or worse. What seems to drive people. And then the question is when people get a little too confident, you know, can you have the humility effectively to step back and realize that maybe that confidence could be misplaced?
Speaker 1: You right, that the anidote to irrational exuberance is not regulation by itself, nor skepticism, but humility, the humility to know that no system is full proof, no market fully rational, and no generation exempt. Do you see that humility out there today?
Speaker 4: I said it better than the book that I said. Now we have the full screen for it, so I see there's humility today. I see that humility among some Look. I think, you know, we're also talked about Warren buff It, Jamie Diamond and David Rubens, and I we're talking about Warren Buffett, did think. I think Warren Buffett has a remarkable humility, and when it comes to sort of even his own confidence, he has humility about that. I think there are a number of business leaders and investors who absolutely do, and then there's a number of business leaders and operators and investors who clearly don't. And I think anybody who walks in the door and sits down at this table and can tell you exactly what or it thinks, they can tell you exactly what's going to happen, probably can't