Speaker 1: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with Higheartradioca.
Speaker 2: Cash shows in Katie Loves.
Speaker 3: Hi Germo, Hi, Katie lows, You're never gonna believe this.
Speaker 4: What I just if?
Speaker 3: I sound insane? I just got a filling redone. Do you have cavities?
Speaker 4: I do have a lot of cavities.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I don't because I'm perfect and I love dentists. I go every three Mensu'm so obsessed with flossing and liistenering the whole fucking thing. But I have a couple of fillings and they're replacing them because it turns out they're like twenty five years old or something like that, and they have to just take out the old ones and put in new ones. That is my day today. And now we are we talking about a very specific episode of Scan special episode A lot with the inside of my mouth.
Speaker 4: Yes, with mowlers and by cuspits and all sorts of teeth.
Speaker 3: Also, who the hell, guys, this episode is wild. We are talking about the episode that caused the next ten years of my life for me to walk around on the street and for Scandal fans come up to me and be like, oh, you still got your teeth. Let me look intide you.
Speaker 4: Literally, yes, I had people come up to me and be like can you lick me? Like I've literally had people want to take a picture with me licking them. Yeah, because of this episode.
Speaker 3: And that was so pre covid.
Speaker 4: It was super pre covid.
Speaker 3: I had just so many people for years just be like, can I check inside your mouth? You still have all your teeth? And I'm like, this is getting weird, is what It's over.
Speaker 4: Your mouth and your mouth was jacked up and you have four teeth, and you were like, yeah, here you go. You know.
Speaker 3: It was like, this is what's given me my sort of obsession with the dentist. To be compliant, I feel like.
Speaker 4: You were obsessed with the dentist probably before, way before this episode.
Speaker 3: Whatever I'm covered for to get my teeth cleaning, I think you get it once every six months or something. I pay extra one hundred and twenty five dollars to go every three months because because so many strangers be looking all up inside my mouth.
Speaker 4: That's why there you go. I am mad at you. I am mad at you.
Speaker 3: And today we have a very special guest who's your friend.
Speaker 4: This person is just listen. I discovered her about a year ago. I discovered her talent in front of the camera about a year ago. But I've known her for many years, and she was in the industry but in a whole, completely different role. And now she's just she's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's so famous, and she's like the young guest guest we've ever had, and maybe the youngest person I've ever known, because she is a big deal on the ticker Talker.
Speaker 4: Which is she's a genius like content creators.
Speaker 3: Genius content creator is literally doing SNL level, if not better, sketch work her social media channels. I don't even that's a compliment, right, I feel so older?
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, me too. Listening great, but also she is not only that she's the hugest Scandal fan. She knows the show I feel like better than you and.
Speaker 3: I I completely agree. Who better to have on than to talk about one of the harder episodes that you and I ever had to shoot than someone that knows the show better than us inside and out Because she is a true to her core gladiator fan, a gladiator gladiator, and without further ado, we have the one, the only the.
Speaker 4: Only Supria Bright.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean such a fan.
Speaker 3: I'm such a fan. Also, are you fought like you're so bloody talented? But also are you five? And were you allowed to be watching Scandal when it was on? Why were you not in bed? What the hell?
Speaker 2: I am seven years old? No, I was in college during this Scandal trime.
Speaker 3: Wow you are.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start telling people I'm like, twenty's totally.
Speaker 3: Please, so great. I have no idea, but I just did the craziest deep dive of like all of your genius sketches, Like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Aren't they fucking amazing? There? My god, listen, I just I've known Sabrina for a long time. Let's just start by also saying she she used to work at Jill McGrath's office, working for Jill McGrath before she was in front of the camera.
Speaker 3: Wait are you out? Get the fuck out of here. Okay, hold on a second. You're an influencer, you're a talent, you're all those and creator. You are cool. We are not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but also listen, I started watching her videos about a year ago, I want to say, or even less than that, and now I am addicted. When you post on Instagram. I get so excited. They're so addictive and infectious, and that character you play is just the dopest Galchy's You're so good at what you do.
Speaker 2: You guys are too much. I also just like really need it to be said, like I really just wish I had a mirror and like a camera and a time machine that I could go to myself. In college when I used to like bootleg Scandal to it that I would stay up, I'm not kidding someone. It was like a problem. I was staying up to four in the morning. I couldn't get myself to go to sleep because I was so intensely watching it, so obsessed, talked about until everyone who would listen to me, And if I could show you guys saying that about me.
Speaker 3: I love that And for listeners, hold on a second, you so that people don't know who Jill McGrath is. Explain, explore backtrack, explain to me how you guys originally know each other, because it was Gearmo's idea that was like Sabrina who has pulse of all the people like Scandal, and I'm like, what we need to get her on the podcast.
Speaker 4: She also has a deeper connection to the show Scandal than just watching it and being a fan. And we'll get into that as well.
Speaker 3: And we'll tell me why you first met each other and who Jill is.
Speaker 2: So the first connection that we're talking about right now is that when I graduated college, a time in which I was at my scandal heights of obsession, an intensity, you could call it, like a mental breakdown. Ways, I graduated college. A month later I started working for Jill McGrath as her assistant, and I sat, I remember sitting in the interviewing situation, and she was like, yes, like, we have really incredible clients. Did a duck your moodias And I went, I'm sorry, huk, Yeah, I know who that is. And then I got the job. And then for two years I assisted Jill and all of her incredible clients, including King Kiirmo and.
Speaker 3: Jill's a very fancy Hollywood manager.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jill is my manager. And now she's Sabrina's manager as well. Full circle.
Speaker 2: Another thing that I would not have believed if you had told me yes.
Speaker 3: At that time, How did that come to pass? Like, how did that conversation.
Speaker 2: Manifestation is I think a very real thing. I certainly manifested it and dreamed about it like every day when I was working for her. Never thought that was going to be a possibility, But she and I just of course stayed in it as great friends and had a mentor mentee relationship even after I left her desk for another desk, And so for a while, it was just that thing where it's like your ex boss who is your friend, And she was the number one person I was always learning from, even as I moved away from that job, and until finally when the other stuff started happening, it was really like an organic she At first it was just a friend, and then it just made sense, and so much of what I do and how I've learned is from her. So it kind of it's been nice where it's like the partnership now is so organic as well.
Speaker 4: But also, Sabrina, we can both agree that Jill is a hard ass. Jill is no joke. She doesn't just if she chose you to be your manager, she believes in you one hundred percent. I feel like I'm still auditioning for Jill and I've been with her for over twenty something years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's pretty scary, Like, I love her. I've hung out with her a thousand times on this scandel no her Cadie I did. Oh my god. I absolutely love her. She's so hardcore. Also, nothing is more appropriate for this episode that we're going to get into today except that I just had a cavity redone. I am not We are talking about the episode where Quinn got her teeth pulled out by Huck and I literally, I am not kidding. We didn't know we were going to do this episode today. This disappointment has been in the books four weeks. This is weird.
Speaker 4: This just come over to my house. I still have the path Sanda, you mus have done it for free. Listen, Sabrina. Shonda Rhymes gave me as a gift when we wrapped the show, the actual pliers that I pulled Quinn's teeth out with. They're hanging on my wall in this room.
Speaker 3: And guess what I got. Guess what I got?
Speaker 4: What did you get?
Speaker 3: It Pop's department. When we wrapped this, this episode almost killed me. First of all, I was so scared about being me. I was supposed to be naked. Yeah, I was supposed to be naked, and I wore a duck. They just duct taped my boobs and we called it a duct tape bra, and they gave me my duct tape bra and the whole prop department signed it. When I made it to the end of the episode and I was done, and I don't think and I had it saved in a box like with all my scandal memorabilia.
Speaker 2: Just love that baby duct taped directly on your skin.
Speaker 3: No, I had like a nude band do bra and then like things around it. But I don't remember what was around my vagina, but it was definitely more duct tape.
Speaker 2: I was like Katie's naked. I did not remember this. I was like, what a commitment to the craft.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Oh. Then when you had the thing in your mouth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that mouth thing opener, that metal mouth opener.
Speaker 2: This was crazy.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you one of the questions. And then were getting this episode. Wait, so we're gonna can you just tell our listeners how did you get into doing what you do? And why are you so so huge on all the socials? Like how is this happening?
Speaker 2: Orchard? Jill always was like trying to write and make things. That was always the plan was to make things and perform. I just wasn't sure how I was going to do it. When I left Jill, I was a writer's assistant, and I was still continuing to work in the television industry in the more formal way, and then in COVID. I wasn't one of the like viral COVID people, but how insane I felt during quarantine made me finally start putting myself on Instagram, which was something I think I really in my gut always wanted to do, but it was really afraid. I just for a year was just playing around with this character on Instagram, just like on a low level. And then by twenty twenty one I put things on TikTok and then since then increasing in that space and decreasing as being a Hollywood assystem, which I haven't done. And I guess like a year and a half or two years, and.
Speaker 3: So yeah, congratulations' huge so much as you guys know, like you guys know, Yeah, we've worked every shit side job in the history I mean, and that's and you know, being Jill's assistant. Sorry Jill, not a bad job, that's a great job.
Speaker 2: I remember. We're with Jill now. The way we are, not to say it wasn't incredible, but this is obviously the friends of of course, and then and yeah, with the internet stuff, it was just like, it's funny to be on the other end of it. To me, it's twenty twenty four and I've been doing it since twenty twenty one. But of course as you build, you get better at it. What you're doing evolves. Everything else that has had has happened has just been a result of me just continuing to do the videos.
Speaker 4: And you write all your stuff, right, you like write all your stuff, which is so hilarious.
Speaker 2: Everyone who like makes the video with me, I love to give like the co writing credit to because it's so collaborative. I make them friends in my family, and it's so collaborative where I come in with a concept and I have an idea of it, and they are going I feel like someone wouldn't say that, or I feel like this is more of that, and so we could have work together and it's a little improv and it's a little that and we just cook something up.
Speaker 4: And listen, I think, when are me and Katie going to be in one of your videos? I think your video with me Katy as Quinn in Hut or some shit like that at something.
Speaker 3: I'm always I love it when we are available.
Speaker 2: Okay, when I come back to La, I'm going to come back in a few months. And when I come back, don't Also, don't make promises if you're not right.
Speaker 4: I'm so serious.
Speaker 3: I'm so sing here and hear it now. And I are one hundred percent in to act in any of your videos. TikTok, like like, oh my god, yeah totally.
Speaker 2: But like in my head, I'm like, okay, so what we could do? So trust me, don't be like if you really feel that way, it's all let's do it.
Speaker 4: Let's freaking do it, Katie really quickly. Also, Sabrina, Sabrina, tell everyone your connection to scandal beyond being a fan, because there's something that I just found out that I had no idea what.
Speaker 2: Why, I tell Okay, So before meeting Jill, I'm in college, okay, and my best friend Varsha, she's in the door room right next to me. I remember walking into Varsha's room and she was like, I just had like a freaking dream, like I just like it felt so real, like there was this war in like B six thirteen was there. It felt so real that. I was like, what are you talking about? She was like Scandal. I was like, and I hadn't. I was not exposed to Shonda. I was not a Gray's House like growing up, so it was just not something I didn't really understand any I think I even watched How To Get Away with Murder first before, and so I was like, Wow, well, she's really feeling a deep, scared connection to the show. I probably should check it out. And she's a doctor now, so she really knew what she was talking about, and I really knew and I so I was like, I guess I'll try this Scandal thing. What it was like a disease that took over me. I'm pretty sure I would like skip class. Sorry, parents. I couldn't stop watching. I couldn't pry my eyes away. And then in the midst of that, I had a friend who was like, guess who I'm connected with now and who I can introduce you to? Is that here? McGhee, Yes, hear me.
Speaker 3: He was one of the staple rate writers on Scandal for a long.
Speaker 2: Time, absolute icon, king of a man. Yes, and just not only the most incredible person to me as a mentor, but also the fact that he happened to be so involved with scandal. It was just crazy, and so I spent like a year kind of being like, here's so funny. I thought, what if I like interned and I just really pitched and he was really trying to make it happen for me too, because he is an angel. And then it was only like not that it was like may or something. I got called from Mary Howard. So I interned member of twenty uh sixteen. I want to say the summer before my senior year of college, I spent three weeks as a production intern. Tom Verracle was the direction.
Speaker 3: Of the episode I am dying. What was the episode? Do you remember anything about it?
Speaker 2: It was the last season. It might have been like six oh one, like it might because it was sixty. Yeah, because Tom would.
Speaker 3: Have only directed the start and the last, so that makes sense he would only direct the first episode in the last episode of the season.
Speaker 2: I don't six sounds more right to me than seven. We meet?
Speaker 4: Did we meet?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Did we see you on Saturday?
Speaker 2: I never met Germo up close. I Katie we definitely were in like crafty together. I was.
Speaker 3: I was definitely crafty.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised I wasn't there and crafty with because Katie and I would be like, do you want to get food? And we're like, yeah, let's go get food.
Speaker 3: Always a scene that you weren't in. That would be the only reason why Katie.
Speaker 2: I definitely remember like you coming back. I was scared. I think at one point I was like getting food, like right next to Tony Goldwin, so I was like, hi, Tony, and so it was like but I was so scared that I was only waiting for the exact moment I could say hi to people. And I don't think it ever happened with either of you guys. And I also wasn't on set the whole time. I had some days on set, but I went on like location and scouts, which was really cool. And then Scott was like directing the next episode. It might have been one of the first I actually want his location scout too, And I remember we all went to fancy restaurant like, oh wow, idea, what's happening? And I was just like And also like, when you're an intern in college because of all those labor laws, you can't really do.
Speaker 3: Any No, you can't. Yeah, you're just sort of looking around.
Speaker 2: You're looking around. I remember one time Sarah was there, a lovely blonde producer named.
Speaker 3: Wow right hand. I love Sarah was Miller.
Speaker 2: I remember she was like, shoe, I left my water bottle at the steak and I was like, oh got it, because I get it. There's nothing I could do. If you can't touch the costumes, you can't touch anything, so like to be useful, I was like dying. It's not just be in everyone's way. And so I was like, oh, I don't want to make the intern get the water. I was like, please, it would be my pleasure.
Speaker 4: And then I come back with a box of waters. But now check you out.
Speaker 3: Was anybody rude to you? Please tell me? Was anybody fucking.
Speaker 2: Rude to you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Katie, I'm like sitting here, I'm like, oh shit, does she have some craft service story where I was like a bitch and I cut her in line for like a turkey sandwich.
Speaker 2: It was the vibe ever yeah, happy all the time. And also one other thing I remember she was like that remember that guy who's really like like strong and big and he was like the vegan cross.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, was he New Zealand. He was a Kiwi. Oh yeah, he had a lot of tattoos and he was bald and tan and hot.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Yes, yes, happy I've ever had since having other crafty.
Speaker 4: First, listen and Katie and I talk about food a lot on this podcast. It's one of our favorite things to do. But really quickly, now look at now you're on the scandal Rewatch podcast, being going from being a fan to being an in the queen And how appropriate for this episode because this is one of my favoritepisodes ever. Ye We'll be right back guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's get into this episode really quick. It's episode three oh nine entitled Yola Yo first the youngest person we know and have ever had on this podcast. Sabrina should be doing the Yolo episode. It aired on December fifth, twenty thirteen, and.
Speaker 4: It was written by Chris van Duson and it was directed by Oliver Bolckelberg. But do you remember, Katie, our original director was let go and then Oliver had to jump in and finish directing the episode. I won't mention no names, but but yeah, there was some stuff going back.
Speaker 3: Alson got fired and then Chris and Newson, who wrote the episode, actually also wrote and created the first season of Bridgerton. The guest stars in this episode are out of control. It's Paul Aedelstein as Leo Bergen, Yara Shahidi as the young Olivia Pope, and handy Elly.
Speaker 4: J oh favorite I love her so much, Candy Alexander as Maya Lewis, and Kelly McCreary who's also on grays Anatomy as Claire Tucker queens Man. They're so good.
Speaker 3: Amazing means the guest stars were so insane on this episode and on the whole show. Okay, the synopsis is synopsis and scandal pays. Ready, here we go. As the team gets closer to the truth, loyalties are tested in relationships are pushed to the limit.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, Cyrus has to deal with his own crisis and he realizes that he may have gone too far, too far.
Speaker 3: Guys, this episode, Yes, I literally thought that Quinn was going to die.
Speaker 2: This was it.
Speaker 3: This was the one where I was like, I'm done. Everybody hates me. Quinn is over. Goodbye job, goodbye financial security.
Speaker 4: Goodbye, like not gonna happen. We were always afraid of that that we were gonna get killed off, and it never happened, but it.
Speaker 3: Was so odd. Did you enjoy watching it back? Giermo and Sabrina, What did you guys think watching those fucking torture scenes? This is the episode, guys where Quinn is on Hawk's tarp and she's getting her teeth ripped out. Yes, it's iconic. It's an iconic Scandalip of.
Speaker 2: Course remembered that Huck gets crazy, but I did not really remember this, and so watching this scene after because it's like my first watch was like Gearmo was like I couldn't have imagined him as a person now that I know him to watch you. Also, when you lick Katy's face.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, zero, like that is even happening. I was scripted right, Yes, yet we took some risks on the show, but I wouldn't have been like, let me lick her face real quick in the shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was definitely scripted. Definitely definitely.
Speaker 2: You're like, well, guys, I'm sick, but I'm not that sick. It was also like it was a reminder too of the shondness of the pushing the boundaries. Yes, so many moments where when you would cut out and scenes and you're like, they're not really going to show it and then like they do, and you're like, does what it wants? This is?
Speaker 4: This is the first episode two that they had to put a major like content warning before the episode starts. Oh, and so that tells you right there how much we pushed the limits on this one. I mean it starts off with me with the pliers and cleaning them with a you know, with a cotton ball with alcohol and just getting ready to dig into your mouth.
Speaker 2: Three. And we we know Quinn at this point, so it's not like seeing the typical victim.
Speaker 3: So it's really like intense, you know, barely watch it this time around. First of all, I was like, oh my god, Katie, slow it down with your acting.
Speaker 4: Just no, you were so good. What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: You're your own worst critic. I'm like, oh my god. Clearly it got to my head that I was like, I only have my eyes to act because my mouth is covered with duct tape. So let's make sure that all my m and my like, my eyes are just doing the craziest shit you were. I washiking the shit out of those scenes. It was absolutely insane. But I just now that I know, I feel I think similar to you Subrina. It's like, now I know we're Quinn huck end Up. I just couldn't believe he did that to her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was super emotional too. I mean even Huck gets emotional in the scene when he's like, I've never done this to a family member or something like that.
Speaker 3: Right, he says, I love you, I've ever done this to someone I love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you not only betrayed me, you betrayed Olivia as well. And I think that's what you know. He was like, Okay, we have to discipline her and set her right.
Speaker 2: Yes, it shows his intense loyalty live no matter how close they had gotten nothing, He's the loyal service.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yep.
Speaker 3: First of all, for listeners, Gimo Diaz, greatest, most giving. This is what I do remember. I remember Gearma being so kind. I was super freaked out to shoot these seas. I'm not gonna lie, like, I felt very vulnerable. I was like, first of all, naked on a set pretty much like in a tiny bikini covered with duct tape, which is like never great. And then and then also like in it kind is never read not great. And then I just remember being like I'm scared to do this. It just felt really scary and Garmo, I just I have flashes of memory of you being like, if you want to like you just checking in with me between every take? Are you okay? Do you need anything? I'm here with you, Like you were such a caretaker, even though you were such a shit like your face. Yeah, it was so crazy. I remember that, and I remember that I did this stupid thing actresses listening. This shit is so dumb, it doesn't work. Don't do it.
Speaker 4: Ever.
Speaker 3: I remember doing some juice cleanse the four days leading up to it. This was when juice cleanses were really big fifteen years ago. People would do it. Yeah, I remember doing that like forty work because I was like terrified that I had to be like in ended up seeing nothing, so it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but no you see you see you looking super snatched and hot when you're in the towel after Charlie comes to you to save you.
Speaker 3: I could have eaten the whole could have eaten the whole week.
Speaker 4: You see your shoulders, you see your back. Yeah, no, you look hot.
Speaker 2: You were a woman in distressed. There's nothing hotter.
Speaker 3: That's so true. It was horrible, and I remember, oh my god, I'm never gonna use cleans again. I'm so tired, like I have no energy, Like what a dumb rookie actor choice. That is just not necessarily.
Speaker 4: It's Tens.
Speaker 3: It's not your fault, if not my fault, it was Tens, Katie.
Speaker 4: I remember, speaking of diets and all that stuff. I remember you on our lunch break having an amazing looking salad and a big old thing of tupp aware and it had all these fancy lettuces and you just you dressed it with just olive oil and lemon, and you had turkey chopped up turkey in there. So you were super on that. Like I'm eating.
Speaker 3: Healthy, really fat all the time.
Speaker 4: I love that shit too, And my mouth is watering right now thinking about it because it looked it looks so good. Meanwhile, I was probably like eating a hot dog next to you or something, or a Mexican.
Speaker 3: Bowl Sabrina, what's your favorite lunch right now? To get back to scandal, I think my sister I saw Ghiaramo recently. I think my sister said this to Gueramo. But I, okay, there's something else about my scandal in ternsh of experience that does have to do with food.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: All we're on the topic that is really important to me, which is that, of course the experience of being on Scandal was so amazing, but there was something else that was really amazing about it, which was that I have the best cookie I've ever had in my life that I to this day nothing has compared, and I have never stopped thinking about it. And I talked to a lot of people in my life about it, and I think that my mom was like concerned and called my sister. I was like, I, this internship is going well, but she keeps talking about like the cookies.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait was the craft services going around with like warm cookies in the afternoon?
Speaker 2: You know how there was like a cafe on the law.
Speaker 3: I love that cafe.
Speaker 2: I used to get the kale salad, caesar salad and this cookie and it was like big and had sea salt on top.
Speaker 3: Oh. I used to get that cookie too, did chocolate chip? My mouth is a guyser waterfall.
Speaker 2: And what I'm talking about, well, I wasn't the best cookie in the world. And then I remember one time at the first production meeting where I was there, they had all these cookies and I was like, I need to eat one, and then I ate one, and then the production meeting was going on, and I kept going up and getting more.
Speaker 3: They were really oversized, right in a plastic individual bag. They were oversized chocolate chip cookies, and they had sea salt on them. But I think they also have an oatmeal option. Am I making this up? I think they had like another option too.
Speaker 4: But Katie, do you think we went to Sunset Gower this afternoon, me and you they would let us in to go to the commissary and get that cookie. Probably not, they'd be like, get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 2: Maybe we go when we make the TikTok.
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely. When I was in La recently, I was right across the street and I had the thought, I said, what if I just walked in there right now and asked if they still have this cookie? But maybe we all go to the cafe and we get the sal and the cookie and then we make a TikTok.
Speaker 4: That would be first. We have to get into the lot. First, we have to get past security.
Speaker 2: We get we greenlight, We get greenlight for a new project that films at Sunset Gower.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, just to get the cookie, just for the exactly what is happening. I'm so hungry for this and I am so excited and I can't wait for this to happen. Gladiators, you don't want to miss it at all of the Sabrina TikTok Social Medias any time of the episode. Fave highlight Carrie Washington School of Acting Moments of the Week. What were your highlight moments of this episode of People's Performances.
Speaker 4: One of my Carrie Washington highlight moments is when she speaks Chinese on the phone. I full on cracked up and was like, this girl can do anything anything, Like she's full on speaking to Chinese.
Speaker 3: Because she's talking to right, I was listening. They're trying to get Candy Alexander, who they're from Command. They're trying to get him her away from Rowan, and so they're trying to get her to Hong Kong with like fake social security, fake passports, like all this shit, and Carrie is just like on the phone with Hong Kong like I'm sending my mom. I thought, casual, just so casual. What about you, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I it's so hard because so I haven't watched Scandal in a really long time. So to me, with every performance, I was like tweaking out because it was exciting to see all my friends again. I will say I was really excited to see Kelly McCreary because, oh my I again my Grays coming of age was posted Scandal. So now I'm in this place where I was like watching Scandal and then when I watched Grace and I'd be like, oh my god, both of Meredith's parents are from Scandal. Not that's right, people, it's the opposite. It's no, They're from Grays. And then they went to Scandal. So to me, just see one of those switcheroos, it was freaky and excite.
Speaker 3: She kill She's only in it for a short minute in this episode, but my god, she's so good. She's such a star. She just comes in. It's of course they just plucked her out of Scandal and placed her as a lead on Gray's Anatomy.
Speaker 4: That's and she has that Scandal pace down too, like she's she has a super spy like chick.
Speaker 3: I was obsessed with Paul Aedelstein's opening models to Sally about you need to switch to pro choice. He just comes in so huge in his choices and his commitment that it's just fuck, He's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: There were two others, Katie. I feel like that scene in the safe room where we're all live is on the floor, she's catatizhed, like she's going through it because her mother, she thought her mother was dead. And then the pace is so quick and so perfect. It's Abby, it's Harrison, it's Scott Foley and myself, and then we grab by and throw her on the table and then we have to dig that chip out of her neck. Oh yeah, and somebody says yeah, somebody says it's gonna hurt, and she says do it, and they just shove like something in her mouth, and then we just cut her neck and.
Speaker 2: Pull out the It's so fun to have those moments where you're like relive it because we in so many ways, hug and Jake are mysteries emotionally, but then in moments like that where they look at each other and they're like, we both know what to do because we were traumatized by this training and they're so on the same page. It's so interesting when we see like that kind of weird emotional connection.
Speaker 4: But that's so true. That's such a good point, yeah, true, and then the other one really quickly Katie is James and Cyrus when Cyrul says, like you slept with him in our house. Oh, I thought that scene was stellar, So proa scene.
Speaker 3: Dan Bugatinski's acting. It's for you guys listening. What goes on is Cyrus is trying to blackmail Daniel doug Daniel Douglas, guys. This is where my lip is not working. He's trying to fucking and have something on him, and so they he sends in James to like. Once they figure out that he's gay and he doesn't like, they keep trying to send women into Daniel Douglas to flirt with him and get him to cheat on Sally Langston and take photos of it so they can blackmail him and get Sally Langson off the ticket and get her out of their hair. And then they realize Daniel Douglas doesn't like chicks, he likes dudes, and so they send in James even though Cyrus is married to him. And the scene that's just absolute fire is when it finally comes out where James is like, you used me like you you used me as like a whore or whatever. He says, I'm trying to even remember what he said, and it's back.
Speaker 4: And forth with James and Cyrus is so properful because with.
Speaker 3: The laptop he shows I wanted divorce. I want a divorce. I wanted divorce. I want a divorce. I want a divorce.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I was gonna say it breaks down after that in front of Millie. I'm trying to again, please. Season three, I feel like at this point we had such like a slow burn with Cyrus of showing his humanity. So I feel like season three it was the fact that he's like crying and we're seeing the actual impact that his actions have on him emotionally. It's like we don't see that much of that from him at first because they keep him as such like a cold monster.
Speaker 4: That's so true. That's so true. Yeah, I feel like.
Speaker 2: At the time it was especially jarring and so sad, and I feel like also just touches on the theme of do I want to be a real person like the jam and the Vermont thing or want the political power? And here Cyrus, we know him as the person who political power is everything to him, but in this moment, it's like we see that.
Speaker 4: Crap, and then that that fractures quickly because then James is like, I'm taking my daughter and I'm leaving you. But then Cyrus. You see that monster come out of Cyrus again, and he's good luck because I have photos of you having sex with homeboy. Go ahead and try to take my daughter away, because I'll bring those out and that's not gonna be good. So yeah, you see him, you see the monster and then the his soft spot for his husband, which is his weakness. And yeah, it's so interesting, it's so good every I feel like.
Speaker 2: That's a theme in all of the characters, is like the idea of the political power versus being a human. But I feel like Cyrus, that's like his main Oh yeah, he's always so impactful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and in Olivia Pope, they do the same things. Are we gladiators or are we people? And it's like a very similar thing. Oh my god. I love breaking down this episode with you, Sabrina. You have such great these characters better than we do. Like we will be back with more after the break. Why were you so obsessed with scandal? Are you like a TV junkie and you always have a show? Okay, great, I'm great.
Speaker 2: Junkie, but I also the whole Shonda's whole way of putting a show together, and the really intense love triangle in the middle, and the ways that, you know, the casting choices that I feel like our thing in all of her shows, especially like the big thory like How to Go with Murder, Scandalut Grace, where like you meet a character and you it's not until seasons later that you have a different perspective of them. Like just all of those things that to me are just like the height of television entertainment. Along with the fact that obviously the writing and the craft of it is so gorgeous and incredible too. I just really had never seen anything like it, and it just really influenced me to want to be a Shonda one day and be the type of person who has a certain type of television I've created that I continue to repete in different ways.
Speaker 4: And you're doing that now. Use the character that you create on your own vignettes on your videos. It's such a special, quirky just outside of the box of it's just you've created these wonderful this wonderful character. So you're on your way.
Speaker 3: There were you Team Jake or team fits.
Speaker 2: So I was definitely much more in the It's hard because, like I hard, it's so hard for me, like Big Aiden Carrie, Like I feel like, ultimately, if I really had to pick, it would be Aiden, because even though I loved the Big Like storyline, I'm like, Aiden is so the best.
Speaker 4: But I hear you, I hear you.
Speaker 2: It's harder with this one because I I love that Jake is such an underdog. I love their connection more in ways, and I almost loved how it was less about the work and more about stripped down just their connection.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There were so many things about when Jake was coming in the scene. I was in the moment go with Jake. Yeah, they had physics, really done everything with it. I was okay, pay for that, not to let go. But I definitely it's a hard one.
Speaker 4: It's a hard one, really hard one.
Speaker 2: And I love a love triangle, Oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: Love a love triangle too. And poor ScOTF Foley has had the whole career of that. I feel like that was him on Felicity too, wasn't he just like oh yes, it was him and Scott Speedman and Kerrie Russell. Seven years I.
Speaker 2: Think interesting, he's so good at that.
Speaker 4: No cookies for those guys. No cookies because they were constantly naked, so they those guys barely eight on set, like they were always starving themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me and Guirmo could do whatever we wanted. It was the best. Are there anything? Are you into horror, Sabrina?
Speaker 4: I love?
Speaker 2: I know that's GMO's pride and joy. I am into it. I would I couldn't. I feel we're saying around Girmo because I know it's like he's a scholar.
Speaker 4: Don't do it, don't deal it, don't do it, don't make me.
Speaker 2: Don't say but I I love like a good thriller, Like I definitely am into it. But I wouldn't say it like a horror junkie.
Speaker 3: Okay me, I hate them kidding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was bummed out that this episode. I looked up everyone there. There's a couple of film films that are our wonderful producer found it. Jake Coleman was in a movie called The Land leading Paul Edelstein was in the menu. I looked those films up, and they're not true like horror films. They were like eh, But then I thought to myself, Yo, this episode is a horror film, and I thought that that made me so happy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I was like, you, I loved shooting it. You loved I remember, I loved it.
Speaker 4: I love being insane on the show.
Speaker 3: Anything on Scandal happened where Hawk is crossing crazy shit and doing things that most actors would not be comfortable with. In that space, Girma was.
Speaker 4: I was into it, chomping at the bit for sure.
Speaker 3: I always felt uncomfortable, like in later seasons, they're giving me like a face rake to like murder this girl.
Speaker 2: And then I'm like.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I don't like I like the walk and talk part, sitting in an investigation table, I know, like even the gun shooting, which I is the gun shooting. The Yeah, even now, I was uncomfortable. I was like, I am this is like I don't know what I'm.
Speaker 2: In And it's so funny because Germo as a human being is just a sweet little puppy, the sweet I was with recently and when we left we were just like, how someone so nice and amazing and something is so funny to me?
Speaker 4: Right drill people. But I feel like I liked it a little too much. I had too much fun, I think doing it. We had one director, Sabrina that would come up to me. I remember a few times we were doing an episode and he kept coming up to me and he would say, you're too maniacal. Why are you so maniacal?
Speaker 2: You're trying And I was like, Okay, you're like sorry, I'm literally having the best time in my life taking out Katie's teeth.
Speaker 3: I'm not, but because I love this. That's why I'm Anichail. I love doing this. I'm living my horror story dreams for near most six degrees of horror. I don't know if it's a true horror movie either, but Paul It'll find in the menu is fucking awesome. I loved that movie. He's incredible. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But it's not a horror film, right, It's not a consider, I think because it's more thrillery.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, Gee, can you please watch it and we can report back.
Speaker 4: On you to watch it. I'm going to watch it.
Speaker 3: Yes, all is amazing. Okay. Was there eating in this episode?
Speaker 4: Maya Pope eats a grape in a wide shot when Olivia brings her breakfast in a bag. That's the only eating.
Speaker 3: All the actors are only eating grapes. It's seasus.
Speaker 2: It's like, Mom, I got you breakfast, and she's.
Speaker 3: Just cutting up a grape into eight sections.
Speaker 4: Yes, and we see her eating. We see her eat it in the wide shot, and then when they're close up, she's just holding the grape while she's talking. I'm like, put it in your mouth, eat it. Oh, it's a delicious That ripe looks delicious. But other than that, there was no eating in this episode. But I remember you eating that salad, Katie, and that made me really excited being off set if camera.
Speaker 3: I thought they did a really good job of like when you rip off the duct tape of my mouth and stuff like blood comes out and stuff. I don't remember them putting like a blood pellet in there. I don't remember doing any of that.
Speaker 4: I don't remember that stuff either. Yeah, I don remember that. But I remember having to throw you up against the wall and it was all very much choreographed. We had because we were doing all this physical stuff and we were in this small space. It was on set, and we were on set Hucks. This is Huck's apartment, right, yeah, where he takes you over.
Speaker 3: No it's Quinn's apartment.
Speaker 4: It's Quinn's apartment, and they built it on set, remember, and we.
Speaker 3: Built it on that Yeah. And what I remember is that we did all the tour. It was one day, twelve hours, one day twelve hours straight of the entire torture scenario. And then my last scene of the night, Yeah, we're so good. And then the last scene of the night, George Newborn showed up at ten or eleven o'clock at night to do the last scene where I have to drop and we have to make out right, And I remember, that's my cringe worthy We always talk about our own cringe worthy moments, which I've already been into where I was like, Jesus, Katie just slimmer down on the overacting. But the other thing is I love that Quinn's fucking teeth have been ripped out and she makes out with yeah, and she's, oh my god, it feels great, Like let's make out harder like I did one thing that was scripted where I'm like ow, and then I don't care. But you know what, maybe I'm going to justify that right now that Quinn is such a sick person and she's into how bad it hurts. Oh yeah, she's so messed up. It makes her feel alive. Right, that's so dark. That's so dark, She's so dark.
Speaker 4: It's true. Seeing you and George Newbern make out, it's like you guys are brother and sister, but on camera. Your chemistry on camera as as lovers is so believable.
Speaker 2: I was a stan I remember, because it's you like to see the characters who feel lonely and you want to see and the two of you guys were that. I was all for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, oh my god. That was my other cringe worthy moment is that scene again where Quinn and Charlie are going to make out but I say like, no, I don't have anyone and I'm alone, and because like she's saying, Hawk pulled my teeth out, so now like he's not my person. I don't have anyone. I don't have anybody, And I'm like.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you're acting was so good good and your hair was just slightly wet.
Speaker 2: My hair. I just like my hair.
Speaker 3: I liked my hair. I think you and I had no makeup on, which I'm always like, why do I prefer that?
Speaker 4: Look like? You look so good? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: I will really with blood dripping down my makeup.
Speaker 3: I liked my shower look like a lot like I was like, ooh, I cue that. I didn't like the blood look, but I did the towel.
Speaker 4: What other look I loved on you, Katie is when you and Charlie are walking away and you're like in a gray shirt with a black jacket and a ponytail, and your boobs looks so good that.
Speaker 3: I wrote on watching the sight, just in all.
Speaker 4: And I'm gay.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was boobs, and those boobs no longer exist because this was clean or just feeding two children for three years. I you were sat in rack and like a nice, perky.
Speaker 2: Good thing. It was documented.
Speaker 4: That's so true.
Speaker 3: I cletely agree. My husband was always like, oh, it's such a bummer that you didn't have to do like a topless scene like pre children, because what a gift like to just share because they were great and now.
Speaker 2: They are not.
Speaker 4: It is I'm sure, I'm sure they look great still better.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think, oh, yeah, you want to see you. I think honestly, if we weren't on video, I totally show you them. Everyone saying them, I don't care I would. I think they are good compared to people who had bad boobs and then breastfed, They're only going to be worse boobs. And I had great boobs and then I breastfed and now I have Okay, that's like the normal version.
Speaker 2: But anyway, boobs, the same, great boobs, but now they're just like enhanced by the experience of like external motherhood exactly.
Speaker 4: Thence their nuanced boobs.
Speaker 2: Yes, in a way, they're actually better because.
Speaker 4: They're like, I love you so much, Sabrina, I love you so much.
Speaker 3: Wait, okay, is there. I'm trying to think of any other moments in this chock full episode.
Speaker 4: There's one moment that we haven't talked about that I think is what carries. What it just makes this episode even better than what it is is the song that is playing constantly throughout the episode. It's Ben by Michael Jackson, sung by Michael Jackson, and the song is about a rat and the whole time, and and then at the end we find out that Maya, Olivia's mother is actually a rat. She's the bad guy. And I thought, how interesting is this that they chose this song and it's such a beautiful song, right, now a rat. Yeah, it's about a rat. It's from a movie called Willard I Believe, which is about a guy who's obsessed with he has like a pet rat. He's obsessed with rats. I might be wrong about that, but the song is about a rat. The rat's name is Ben. Yes, yes, look it up. Look it up and look it up. I looked it up last night first.
Speaker 2: So yes, the music like nothing else like it. Oh my goodness, like the whole, the music of the whole. That was another thing. Oh yeah, when I was in college, I used to just like when I wasn't watching schedule, I was listening to the playlist.
Speaker 4: Really, I think it's.
Speaker 2: The freedom I needs mouth mentally. But also the way that like the music has this interesting juxtaposition.
Speaker 4: As to what's happening on screen.
Speaker 2: Yes, what's happening on screen. And also I feel like that song because of how they set it up with yours. She heard shy It's okay, this is a symbol of her childhood and this time of her life. But then yes, it's so sad that no, she never really had this innocent childhood, as it turned out, because nothing was innocent about the situation.
Speaker 3: It's is breaking it down, but breaking it down you could literally have your own podcast. Yeah out scandal episodes and what was really going on? And you look it up?
Speaker 4: Katie, did you look up Ben?
Speaker 3: Okay? I? First of all, I looked up the lyrics, which is one hundred percent about a rat. That's insane.
Speaker 2: It's just like the lyrics.
Speaker 3: You're like, Ben, the two of us need look no more. We both found what we were looking for with a friend to call my own. I'll never be alone, Ben, You're always running here to there? I'm like, which is at a rat?
Speaker 4: And it's also about Maya Pope? Right, She's always running to and fro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we thought she had daddy issues this whole time, but really she has wmy issues. That's oh my god, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yes, And her dad in like.
Speaker 2: A metaphor for growing up with your parents, and like, this whole time, she thought that he made this decision in this way to spite her, but really he was trying to protect us. I was obsessed with this twisting. I love it.
Speaker 4: It's such a shocker too, right, because you're like, oh damn, she's the bad one.
Speaker 3: She's a bad one. And the biggest shock of the whole episode other than I mean, it's a two for one banger, is just the ending two minutes which you better not fucking move on or check your phone, because a we've got that Maya Pope is the rat, thank you very much, Michael Jackson. And then we've got number two. Sally Langston murders her.
Speaker 4: Fucking's the bloody pope on the floor.
Speaker 3: There's blood everywhere, and Daniel Douglas is just a face down, And I don't know who she calls, who she calls.
Speaker 4: I thought she calls James, I thought, doesn't she Oh, Cyrus? She calls Cyrus.
Speaker 2: Gray.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, it's Ellis Gray, which is such a different character than Sally Langston is because Caper is such a good actress.
Speaker 4: And Sabrina she's Richard Burton's daughter who was married to Elizabeth Taylor. She's like Hollywood royalty. Katie says this all the time. You're the first one that said, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, she was like a theater queen, like Steppenwolf or Cyrus Iris is Steppenwolf, and she's been on Broadway eight million times.
Speaker 3: Here she wouldn't Yelle.
Speaker 2: She was a queen in that way. But I didn't know.
Speaker 4: Also the Holly her dad is Richard Burton, who was a master actor. He was Anthony. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always feel like this Scandal president and vice president is Royalty because Tony Goldwyn is Goldwyn Metro Holly Royalty if that's his family, and family is Richard Burton.
Speaker 2: I know same and to be as good as he is, yes, I know.
Speaker 3: Now I have a question for you, Sabrina. Did you ever tweet about Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, I gotta tell you I was not chronically online until I became a person online I really did. It really was that I became a meme on Twitter, and that's why I started to be like, I have to figure out how Twitter works. I never on it in high school and college. There's a lot of people I could call him from and be like how much did I talk about Scandal from twenty until? And maybe like a lot we were worried about you? That's my evidence on.
Speaker 3: And do you tweet now?
Speaker 2: Now? I just Twitter and Instagram and TikTok. Yeah, same thing you see me doing across all Doing the videos primarily is my way of bothering people.
Speaker 4: That it's making our lives better. It is, it's ringing us enjoyment and happiness.
Speaker 3: And we're going to read some tweets of the.
Speaker 4: Top Spanish bird people.
Speaker 3: But I'm born that you and I did not spend any time tweeting. But honestly your parents did a good job, and that you weren't on Twitter as a college student because it wasn't a safe space. Yeah, not great, but we have at Lauren K tweeted on December fifth, twenty thirteen, at Katie q Lows gets her face licked by Akia mo Diaz tonight. I shouldn't be as excited as I am, but what can I say? Yola?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, let's see. Leone tweeted that opening scene between Hocking Quinn was too disturbing and that completely destroyed any shippy feels. Whatever Leone hashtag scandals.
Speaker 3: Get over it, you liked it. Hocke and Quinn get together next year. Isn't that next season where we hook? I don't remember.
Speaker 4: I still remember. We'll find out either.
Speaker 3: At Empowered on December fifth, tweeted, just curious how many grad students like myself have said, oh, I'll finish this paper during scandal and have failed miserably see Sabrina. There were other college students just.
Speaker 4: Like you, yo, and at Karina Bailey tweeted, oh my quick, someone turned on a Christmas movie. That episode of Scandal was too little, too intense for me. And if you're gonna turn on a Christmas movie, turn on Katie's Christmas movie, which is called I've Got to.
Speaker 3: Christmas Takes Flight on CBS. I've also got Mary kiss cam on.
Speaker 4: That's it with Jesse Bradford Klis. I love him, bring it on.
Speaker 3: I love him so much. At Treymarra tweeted at Carrie Washington, Honestly, I didn't think hash scandal could get any more scandalous. It's crazy hashtag. I love scandal, y'all really quickly.
Speaker 4: One more acting thing that stood out was your feet, Katie. You did the best foot acting in this episode. The foot fetishists out there are like salivating over night episode.
Speaker 3: They're okay that glass you.
Speaker 4: Grabbed, the glass, you throw it on the floor.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh maybe I should like upload that somewhere that I can get paid for.
Speaker 4: You need to monetize those feet.
Speaker 3: Ya, Sabrina, Wait, where can people tell people what you've got going on? Where we can find you what you have coming out? Because Garmon and I are obsessed with you. I think you're a fucking star and I need to know everything everybody.
Speaker 4: Sabrina posted a picture of her and I when we went to dinner with her sister and her a really great friend and a few other friends, and so many people on Instagram were like, oh my god, I love her, I love her videos like over and over. It was crazy. Anyway, go ahead, where can we find I?
Speaker 2: You can find me on the internet, Sabrina Briar and I have do have some fun things cooking that I will be that haven't been announced that I will be talking about Stuon. So just follow me, you guys, and thank you so much.
Speaker 4: We love you so much.
Speaker 3: You have so much shit coming out that you're gonna tell us you are like a working busy bee. It's all happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll never forget this. This was such a treat, such a gift that you came on and we're so happy treat.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Sabrina. And next week we've got what is the name of it? Oh my god? Episode three ten a door marked Exit. I don't know if we have a guest, but you should tune in to find out because you know we've got the best guests like Sabrina here and we.
Speaker 4: Got that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Episode three ten Door Marked Exit. We love you Gladiators until next week.
Speaker 4: Adios amigos. Thank you guys for joining us on Unpacking the Toolbox. If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe, share with your friends, or leave us a review.
Speaker 3: Scandal is executive produced by Sandy Bailey, alex Alcea, Lauren Homan, Tyler Klang, and Gabrielle Collins. Our producer and editor is Vince de Johnny, with music by Chad Fisher.
Speaker 4: Scandal is a production of ABC Signature, and you can follow along by rewatching Scandal on Hulu.
Speaker 3: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you subscribe to your favorite shows.