Speaker 1: Hey, this is Stephen Ferdick.
Speaker 2: I'm the pastor of Elevation Church and this is our podcast.
Speaker 1: I wanted to thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 3: Hope this inspires you. Hope it builds your faith.
Speaker 1: Hope it gives your.
Speaker 3: Perspective to see God is moving in your life.
Speaker 1: Enjoy the message.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited. I've been waiting to share this word with you this week. The Lord has been speaking to us about new loops, same lies.
Speaker 1: New loops.
Speaker 3: Put my graphic on the screen so they can know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: It's important that in this season of.
Speaker 3: Your life that you don't repeat the wrong things over and over again. The victory and defeat in your life is all a matter of what you put on repeat in your mind and in your heart. How many have found that to be true. And if you repeat the wrong thing long enough, it starts to sound like it's true even though it's not true. I'll always be my mom was my sister. Is can't break this, I can't deal with this. So when we say new loops, we're talking about getting a new meditation in your heart that comes from God. And we can't stop the enemy from lying. But if we can teach you to identify when he's doing it. And if we can teach you how to tune into the voice of the Holy Spirit that is speaking of truth over you, we can get you set free in some areas of your life that you had become convinced it always has to be this way. So we're praying for new patterns. How many have been blessed by the series so far? Amen, Today I want to pick up with a scripture that is very powerful in Second Kings chapter six, Praise the Lord. Second Kings chapter six. I was thinking about this JJ.
Speaker 4: Probably one of the coolest pictures that we get in the whole Bible of when you feel overwhelmed and you don't know what to do, one of.
Speaker 3: The clearest pictures that we get of what to do. And so this will help you today. Second Kings, chapter six. Let me read the full story. Please start in verse.
Speaker 1: Eight. Second Kings six, Verse A. Now, the King of arab was at war with Israel.
Speaker 3: After conferring with his officers, he said, I will set up my camp in such and such a place. The Man of God sent word to the King of Israel, beware of passing that place because the Arabians are going down there. So the King of Israel checked on the place indicated by the Man of God. Time and again Elisha warned the king so that he was on his guard in such places.
Speaker 1: This enraged the King of Aram.
Speaker 3: He summoned his officers and commanded of them, or demanded of them, tell me which of us is on the side of the King of Israel. None of us, my lord, the king, said one of his officers. But Elisha, the prophet, who is in Israel, tells the King of Israel the very words you speak in your bedroom. Go find out where he is, the king ordered, so I can send men and capture him. And the report came back, he is in Dothan. He is in Dothan. Then he sent horses and chariots and a strong force there. They went by night and surrounded the city. Now verse fifteen, it gets good. When the servant of the Man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. Oh no, my lord, what shall we do, the servant asked. And I want you to really pay attention to how the prophet answered, don't be afraid, don't be afraid. What do you mean, don't be afraid when we are surrounded on every side. No, no, no, don't be afraid, because it cannot sink you if it surrounds you. It can only sink you if it submerges you. So regardless of what you see with your senses, don't be afraid. Those who are with us are more than those who are with them in that good and Elisha pray, and Elisha prayed open his eyes Lord, so that he may see. Then the Lord opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. One more verse from Romans eight eighteen. King James version, Please on the screen, for I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. For I reckon I thought about it a little while I did the math on it. I added and subtracted, and multiplied and divided. I sat down with my situation, and I reckon that the sufferings of this present time, what I'm going through right now on the outside, I reckon that that is not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in me. Now let me give you my title. Turn to your neighbor and say, I know it's crazy, but keep it in context. Keep it in context, Keep it in context. Father, I pray that you would illuminate what you're doing in our situation. Thank you that you already were speaking while your word was being read. Now make it so personal that people squirm like has he been following me around this week?
Speaker 1: Because you have been following them around this week.
Speaker 3: Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life. Thank you for speaking. Lord in Jesus' name, Amen, you may be seated in in the Bible. The kinds of conversations that we get to hear are really crazy if you step back and think about it. To get to hear Elisha one of the greatest profits.
Speaker 1: That God ever made.
Speaker 3: As he is dealing with the situation that is beyond his control, and how he advises his young servant is really an incredible masterclass for us in our minds. And I think it's amazing in this conversation how the servant wakes up and sees something that is so much bigger than him and the prophet essentially says, don't make it bigger than it is. Don't make it bigger than it is. And in every marriage there's one person who makes things bigger than they are. In my marriage, let me go ahead and give you a framework for my marriage. Did you see the movie Inside Out? Did you see Inside Out?
Speaker 1: Too? All right?
Speaker 3: Our family went to see Inside Out too, because in Inside Out, the little girl has all these emotions and they're personified by characters that sit at the control panel, And so you've got sadness and disgust and joy and anxiety and an inside out too. Joy and anxiety are always battling each other.
Speaker 1: Inside of her mind.
Speaker 3: So we went to see the movie this summer, and we were going out to eat, and on the way to the restaurant, I found out that this restaurant might be closed, not would be closed, might be closed. And you think, to yourself, that's not a big deal. But to my mind, the restaurant being closed is an unacceptable first domino in what could be a very bad day. I feel like if everybody's blood sugar crashes to a certain point, then it may cause the kids to fight. That the kids fight too much, it may cause me to respond in a terrible way. If I respond in a terrible way, I'm gonna feel shame. I'm gonna have to humble myself and apologize. And so as I'm going back and forth with Holly in the car, driving to the restaurant that might be closed, not is closed, might be closed, and talking to her about unacceptable, the outcome of the restaurant being closed would be Graham says from the back seat. You know, watching mom and Dad talk is literally like watching a conversation between anxiety and joy. Now in the passage that I read to you, it's literally like watching a conversation between the wisdom of the experience of the older prophet Elisha and his young servant who has never faced a situation like this before. I've never faced a situation like this before. I've never been in this stage of life before. And we get through the miraculous conservation of the scriptures and inside and in some ways candid seat to this conversation, and the prophet says.
Speaker 1: Don't make it bigger than it is. Now.
Speaker 3: That's a crazy thing to say when you're surrounded by horses and cheriots. Because whatever it is that you're going through today, in your life, It's not this. Can we all agree it's not this. This man is a national security threat, it's not this. They're not all coming to get you, although our minds will try to tell us that it is so. In our relationship, Holly is always the one who says it's not a big deal. Even yesterday, I was preparing this message for you, and as I was sitting down to study, she was flying to a speaking engagement and she started texting me. And I was looking for an illustration to talk about how sometimes my mind tries to make it bigger than it is, and she started texting me about a flight delay. Now she's the one flying, I'm not, but I'm the one freaking out, not her, because I texted her, Oh, no, this is horrible. She said, no, it's fine, and I was like, no, it's not fine, because why do they always just get to delay our flights whenever they want to. Somebody needs to say something about this and do something about this. This is unfair, This is unjust, This is actually this is actually bigger than just your flight today, Holly. This is actually a way that they're treating consumers that is unacceptable. I mean, you paid for the ticket. This is not a prison you are in. This is an actual place that you paid to be, and you have a place that you need to be and you are not going to get to the place that you need to be because the place that you paid to be did not provide the service that. Have you ever tried to work somebody who was like, is not a big deal? Into a Oh yes, it is a big deal situation, and that's me and her. I'm outraged. She's drinking Starbucks for her, it's extra time for me. It is a travesty of travel, justice, anxiety, and joy. Just having a conversation, you know, is not a big deal. Yes it is, because if you don't make it to the event.
Speaker 1: See here's the thing I found out.
Speaker 3: When a flight gets delayed for me, my mind opens a file. Write this down. My mind has files. Did you know that your mind has files? And so when a flight gets delayed, it opens a file in my mind called every time a flight got delayed and then got delayed again, and then got delayed again. So when she said my flight is delayed, she's like, it's fine. That's her file. Holly has this huge file called is fine, It'll be fine. It's gonna be fine. If the restaurant isn't open, it'll be fine. We're not gonna starve, it'll be fine. We could even turn it into a fast It'll be fine. The biggest file in her is called it's fine. So when the flight is delayed, Holly's like, it's fine. It's been fine so many times before. There have been so many times that it has been fine, that it is going to be fine right now. I did the calculation, the tabulation and the math, and it is going to be absolutely fine that the flight is delayed, because we can still get there because I built in buffer.
Speaker 1: But I'm thinking, no, this.
Speaker 3: Is just the first in a series of horrible things. And I go back to when we went to Atlanta to record a preaching series and we were late and we didn't get there in time because the flight was delayed. This was fifteen years ago, and they were so mad at me for not showing up at the taping that they banned me from the network, from ever appearing on the network. And the ministry was so small to me, that was the worst thing.
Speaker 1: That could ever happen.
Speaker 3: So when she says the flight is delayed, I'm like, you're about to get banned. I don't know who's gonna ban her, what they're gonna ban her from, but for some reason a mild inconvenience in my mind, and watch this open the file call when this happens. This can't happen, even if it's not in the probable odds of it, there is a chance once they start this crap, once they say we're delayed by ten minutes, that's just the first lie. And now the file opens of every lie that they ever told me on an intercom about the flight. It's gonna be fine. Now, Sometimes it's not fine. Sometimes you get banned, and the servant wakes up and sees the place surround it and says, it's not fine.
Speaker 5: It's not fine.
Speaker 3: We're about to die. They have come to capture you in Dothan.
Speaker 5: It's not fine.
Speaker 3: And Elisha says, don't be afraid. There's more with us than with them. I believe one of the contrasts in this passage that makes it very powerful is not only that Elisha was the prophet and that the servant was in an administrative position where he had to deal with details, but that Elisha was a little older and the servant was a young man, and so when Elishah woke up that morning and saw the hills surrounded with his enemies, and go ahead and bring me my teaching scream because I think I need to draw this for you. How many have been enjoying my drawings of loops over the last few weeks. I'm still waiting on someone to get a tattoo, a little loop tattoo. I know the Book of Leviticus says, but that's not what it means. You can get a tattoo if it's for the Lord.
Speaker 1: Now watch this.
Speaker 3: That's going to be the clip that they're going to put online.
Speaker 1: But they won't keep.
Speaker 3: It in context. Okay, So this is how the servant felt. And I'm not drawing this because I think I'm such an awesome artist. We've just been talking about these loops. The enemy says, God says, the enemy says, God says. What does the enemy say? Over and over again, It's not enough, You're not loved. It's not enough, You're not loved. And we've been talking about new loops that God can design. So the servant, who is a very young man, wakes up in the morning and all he sees surrounding the hills. Is the enemy surrounding Talk about a literal loop. There's horses and chariots coming to take away the.
Speaker 1: Man of God. It is a literal loop around these two.
Speaker 3: And the servant sees the enemy and then he sees and I wonder can you relate to this feeling? Okay, wake up in the morning, and all I feel, all I all I can sense is the avalanche of anxiety of everything that's probably not going to get done today, that needs to get done today, or of all of the potentially awkward conversations that need to happen. And there's a little voice inside of you saying, it's fine, but what if it's not. It's fine, but maybe not this time. It's fine, it's good, this is good, it's good. But when you're surrounded by the enemy and this is what he sees. Here's the enemy and here's me. So that's about how it feels, right. This is how big the enemy is.
Speaker 1: This is me. Can y'all see that? That says me, big old enemy?
Speaker 3: Li me? And what is lil o me gonna do with a big old enemy? And he just says, it's fine. How is it fine? Because I have a file. I have a file. This is not Elisha's first time in trouble. This is not Elisha's first time outnumbered. This is not Elisia's first time dealing with it's not enough. One time he was standing at the bank of the Jordan after his mentor, Elijah was taken away, who he followed for years and years, seeing miracles, miracles that only God can do. And I believe that as he was watching his mentor, as God performed miracles, he was building a file, a file in his mind that God can send fire from heaven, a file in his mind that God can even raise the dead, a file in his mind that enabled him when he was standing at the Jordan with nothing but the mantle that was left from his mentor, he rolled it up and struck the water, and the water part. And when he saw something as simple as a piece of clothing part a body of water, that became a new file in his mind. And then there was the time where they brought him to a city and the water supply was bad in tewod King's chapter two, and he took a little salt and threw it in the water, and the water was purified from a little bit of salt. How can a little bit of salt purify a whole body of water? And so Elisha put it in his mind that God can take a little thing, something that is not enough, something that seems insignificant, and he can purify and he can plentify something that seems absolutely beyond human ability. When a widow came to him and said, they're about to take my sons as slaves, Elisha said, what do you have in your house? And she said, I don't have anything, just a little bit of oil. And Elija said, that's fine. But if you get enough jars and you start pouring what you have, even if it seems insignificant to you, if you will begin to do the thing that you can do with the thing that you do have, God will do the thing that.
Speaker 1: You can't do.
Speaker 3: Because God specializes in starting with not enough so he can show that he is more than enough. And I believe that as Elisha saw those jars filled and pushed to the side, each time a jar was pushed to the side from a supply that wasn't enough before God spoke, he began to fill a file in his mind that God is faithful and that God is more than enough, and that God is greater than a bad situation, and that God doesn't look for what you don't have, but he works with what you do have. And I believe that by this time in his life, after seeing name and healed of leprosy, after seeing a little boy that was not supposed to be born be born and die and raised from the dead, by the time he gets to this place in his life, he has a big file in his mind. So when he sees the hills that are full of the enemies surrounding him, when he sees the hills that are full of the opponents that have come to take him away, when he sees the hills that are full of the thing that threatened to take his life, he has got a file that is full to fight the fear that he feels because he knows that if God is not done with me yet, there's more in me. So I can't die here unless God is done with me. So why would I be afraid of something that can't take me until God is done with me?
Speaker 5: Because I got a file for that.
Speaker 1: And your mind has files.
Speaker 3: Your mind has a file called worry, your mind has a file called worship. And the one that you open is the one that will fill. I just said something to somebody, and I don't know who. But your mind has files, one called faith, one called fear, and the one that you open is the one that's going to fill. If you open a file called what could go wrong on this flight? You will be checking everybody's bag and you're not even TSA. How far are you going to take this? I mean, are you going to interview the pilot? Will you stop there? Are you going to check the plane yourself? If you open the file called is this gonna go well? On the fire? I mean that file is completely infinite, That loop is complete. That's what the enemy does to you. He gets you to open the file, and you don't have time for that file right now. No, you let me say that again. You do not have time to be running every hypothetical scenario in your life for what might go wrong, because if you repeat what might go wrong long enough, what you repeat is defeat. Your mind has files, and the one that you open is the one that will fill. That changed my life because it helped me to start saying things to people like this, man, I don't really want to talk about that right now. One of my friends told me the other day something horrible that somebody said about me, And they said, but I had your back, and I said, I appreciate it. Can we be done with this conversation? Thank you for having my back. But I'm done talking about this?
Speaker 1: Why? Because I don't really want to hear about somebody who hates me.
Speaker 3: I don't want to open that file right now because that could be a big file and I might start adding friends to that file that really don't hate me. Remember when you vent, you invent? So if my heart is full of fear, what file.
Speaker 1: Did I open? I'll do a real time example.
Speaker 3: I'm looking around this room right now, and I just saw two people yawn while I was preaching right consecutively in a row, big old I'm not even trying to cover it up. Yon.
Speaker 1: There's a difference between like, ah, I'm tired, bo I'm really enjoying this.
Speaker 3: There's a difference between that and maybe if I do it big enough, he'll just finish. That's what it looked like to me. But why did I open that file? He's not yawning, she's not yawning. You're not yawning. At least I didn't see you yawn. You haven't yawned. You're on the edge of your seat. You've got your thumbs ready, you look like you look like you are about to beat the devil to death with your thumbs and your notes at and you were writing every word of this down. Because man does not live on bread alone. Why am I watching their mouth yon when he's typing his phone is smoking. His phone is about to burst spontaneously combust with the wisdom and the power of God. Why would I open a file that says you're boring when I got a thousand people in the room saying, no, I.
Speaker 5: Need this work. This is helping me, this is feeding me, this is good for me.
Speaker 3: My soul needs to know this. Because I walked up this morning and I was surrounded by a really.
Speaker 5: Big enemy and I'm a really little need. But I came to open a new file today because I've got.
Speaker 3: A God who is great and dust miracles and for Fard's wonder So so the file that I open is the one that will fill. So if you tell your mind we want to be offended, your mind will find things for you to be offended about. Your mind will go looking and reading into things, and even taking things out of context.
Speaker 1: Just so you can get offended.
Speaker 3: Why because you open the file called I want to be offended because it feels good to be But it doesn't feel good to be filled with bitterness, does it? But when you open the file called I want to feel offended, you end up filled with bitterness, even in a relationship. I've had to learn over and over again, if I start trying to find every way that they let me down, when I open that file, the enemy will fill it. The devil will start bringing up stuff. You'll be like, how do I remember that? And I don't remember my middle child's name? Because he wants to help you fill the wrong file.
Speaker 1: He wants to.
Speaker 3: Help you fill the file call I'm all alone. I love what the prophet Elisha said. He didn't minimize what the enemy meant. He just helped multiply the help that they already had.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you notice this.
Speaker 3: But the Bible says in verse seventeen that Elisha prayed, but he prayed something very specific, didn't he He didn't pray for God to send help because the help was already there. I feel like taking my shoes off in pre sure. I feel like there is somebody listening to me preaching today who doesn't understand that your help is already here. And you keep asking for God to send help. You keep asking God to send something. But today, let's change your prayer a little bit. Somebody pray to say, God, show me something. Show me something that is already in my life. Show me something that you already did. Show me something that I forgot about that would cause me to know that you are greater than what I'm going through. You are greater than what I've been through. You are greater than the uncertainty that I face. God, show me something. Prayed again, God, show me something. He did not pray for God to send horses and chariots. It would have been redundant. God had already sent them. I believe that before the enemy showed up, God did. I believe that before the devil started messing with your life, God was making a masterpiece of your life. The Bible says that before you were born, he formed you in your mother's womb. He knew you, so before the attack ever happened. I don't know who needs to hear this, but before the attack ever happened, the angels were already assigned. God is busy in your situation. God is busy in your life. God is setting up camp. And if the enemy sent a strong force, that means you represent a significant threat to Hell. So stop thinking that the reason is hard for you is because there's something wrong with you. The reason is hard for you is because there is something great in you, something amazing in you, something designed about you, something wired about you. Remember Elisha was surrounded because he was successful. He was so good at doing his job for God. He was so good at prophesying. He was so being used by God that the enemy said, we've got to surround him with something to stop him. But the good news is.
Speaker 1: Before the enemy ever sent an assignment to stop.
Speaker 3: Him, God sent the help to support him. So keep it in context. I know it's crazy in your life right now. Keep it in context. I know it's weird in your world right now, but keep it in context. I know not everybody is nice to you, but keep it in context. Not everybody is mean to you. Keep it in context. I know there are some struggles in your life.
Speaker 1: Who of us doesn't have something that we need to fix. Look how far you've come.
Speaker 3: I mean, did you really even think you would be in church today.
Speaker 1: Keep it in context.
Speaker 3: I know there's some stuff you're fighting at home, but you are here right now, so keep it in context. If the enemy can't get you fixated on one situation in your life, he will get you fixated on one flaw in yourself. So Elisha does not give him an elimination of the enemy. Instead, he gives him an illumination of his health. Now I want to share my favorite verse with you, my favorite verse today. It says in first John four four that ye are of God little children, and have overcome them, because greater.
Speaker 1: Is he.
Speaker 3: That is in you than he that is in the world. So this is how it feels. Right. Oh, no, Lord, we are surrounded. What am I going to do about? This is coming in from every side, and it is the pressure of an attack that hasn't happened yet. But might I want to speak about that for a moment. Some of you are suffering under the pressure of an attack that hasn't even happened yet, but it might. And the devil hasn't even done it to you yet, and you are already giving him the permission to fill the file in your mind as if he did. You are already living the injury as if it happened. You are already limping from a.
Speaker 1: Blow that the devil hasn't even struck yet.
Speaker 3: You are already giving away this moment in your life because the enemy surrounded you. He didn't defeat him, He just surrounded him. And when you feel surrounded by the enemy, I want you to begin to understand.
Speaker 1: First John four, verse four. Oh, I love this verse, bro.
Speaker 3: Because it gets the idea you are of God little children, and it helps me understand why I feel so little in the face of my enemy. But then it says something that is very important. It says you have overcome them, because greater is he that is in me than he that is in the world. And Elisha prayed, not God shrink my enemy, but he prayed instead God opened his eyes to see that what is surrounding him.
Speaker 1: You are.
Speaker 3: Surrounding it.
Speaker 5: LJ.
Speaker 3: Hold me down, because if it's me versus the enemy, I'm in trouble. If it's me versus this addiction is over. If it's me versus this depression, I'm not going to take.
Speaker 1: A pill strong enough.
Speaker 3: If it's me versus this season of my life, I don't have the wisdom for it. If it's me versus the enemy, I'm outnumbered. But first John four y four said, greater is he that is in me. So I've been looking at the enemy, and I've been defeated because that's all I see. But I found out that greater is he that is in me. And when I remember who he is, and what he did, and what he gade me, and what I have in him, my enemy is just so big anymore. Because I lit my eyes to the heels from which cometh my health.
Speaker 5: My health cometh from the Lord, the Manger of Heaven and earth. And greater is he that.
Speaker 3: Is in me. So it's not me versus my enemy, it's the one who is versus my enemy. This changes everything because it opens a brand new file in my mind. It lets me recognize that even if I'm surrounded with no way out, and even if I'm pressed, hard pressed, even if I'm crushed, even if I'm persecuted, even if I'm abandoned, even if I'm broke, even if I'm down, even if I'm suffocating, even if one thing is piling up on another, even if my boss hates me, even if my employees hate me, even if I don't want to do it, even if I feel lazy, even if I don't have what it takes. The one who is in me is greater than what's against me. So it's not that it's not big. It's just that I found something bigger. You're a big boy, unless we put you next to something bigger. That's all Elisha did. He say, Hey, this is big. Tell somebody this is big. But there's something bigger. It's the purpose of God. So keep it in context. Paul said, I reckon that the sufferings of this present time aren't even worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed in us. What is happening to me is not even worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed in me. When Paul says, I reckon, thank you so much. You did a great job. I love you too. Just remember that when the devil picks on, you find something that's bigger.
Speaker 1: That's all Elishah did.
Speaker 3: He said, open his eyes to see something bigger. And could it be that the pain in your life right now is a part of a bigger context that you can't understand right now, and that this is the reason that the enemy has come after you in full force. Is because there is something bigger that God is trying to do. Paul said, I reckon that word does not mean I know. It means I am convinced of this opinion. I can't prove it, but I reckon that when I see what God is going to do through this situation, it will make what I went through to get to it seems small in comparison. And that's a decision of faith, my friend. And if you want to open a file in your mind today of all the ways that God could use this situation, if you want to open a file in your mind today of all the ways that God could turn this around. God has a thousand creative ways to use this right.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't think it was.
Speaker 3: I don't think it was coincidental where Elisha was sit down and I got something else to tell you, because there's something I learned two years ago that I have been waiting to share.
Speaker 1: And in this passage, it says that.
Speaker 3: Elisha kept telling his king Jorham where the enemy was going to attack him. So the enemy came to attack Elisha so that he could attack the nation. It was a bigger context. The devil isn't just attacking you. He's attacking everyone that your life is supposed to impact, and figures that if he can get you to give up right here, you won't get to make a generational impact. So when you're fighting him, realize you're fighting for your family too, and keep it in context.
Speaker 1: Tell your neighbor. I know it's hard, but keep it in context.
Speaker 3: Tell him it's not just about you give them deep penetrating eye contact. When you say that part. It is not just about you. Put that into comments. It is not just about me, Because there's a lesson in this that it was not only who said don't be afraid Elisha the prophet, but where he said it. See in Second Kings six thirteen, they were looking all around for Elisha, and they said in verse thirteen, go find out where he is so I can send men and capture him.
Speaker 1: And the report came back, he is in Dothan.
Speaker 3: Now, I almost called this sermon the Devil went down to Dothan. I thought that would be a cool thing to call it, but I knew it could also be corny, and I didn't want to take the risks, so I just called it. Keep it in context, you know, when you read the Bible, there's a specific place and time, the geography. All of these details in the Bible carry rich meaning. And the place called Dothan is not a very famous place in the Bible. In fact, it is only mentioned twice in all of scripture. This is once and another occurrence is found one thousand years earlier. There was a dysfunctional family in the Book of Genesis, a dad named Jacob who had a son that he really loved named Joseph. One day he sent his son, Joseph, who was the son of the wife that he loved, to go check on his other brothers. And he had given him an amazing coat. And his brothers not only hated his coat, I think they really began to despise the destiny that was on his life. So while his brothers were hurting sheep, Joseph was for some reason at home, being young as he was, and his dad said, go check on your brothers. This is in the Book of Genesis chapter thirty seven. And he went to a place called Shechem, where he expected to find them tending the sheep, but they weren't there. And we pick up the story in Genesis chapter thirty seven, verse sixteen, He told the men, I'm looking for my brothers.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me where they are grazing their flocks?
Speaker 3: Now, the response that came next would have been a story that Elisha the prophet would have been familiar with, because when he said where are they, the man answered, they have moved on from here. I heard them say, let's go to Dothan. So Joseph went after his brothers and found them near Dothan. This is the only other time in the Bible that Dothan is mentioned.
Speaker 1: It is only mentioned.
Speaker 3: Twice, and this is one of them. So he goes to Dothan to find his brothers. But look what verse eighteen says. They saw him in the distance, and before he reached them, they plotted to kill him. And they took Joseph, and just as they were about to kill him, Ruben said, let's don't do it, And so they decided to throw him in a cistern in Gothan, and they put him in.
Speaker 1: The cistern, not sure what.
Speaker 3: To do lunch, when just about that time, a caravan of Ishmaelite traders were well, let me just show you this on the map real quick.
Speaker 1: Just about the time that they were having their lunch.
Speaker 3: You see that red line where Joseph started out that day, and he goes all the way up to a place on the map called Dothan.
Speaker 1: And when he.
Speaker 3: Gets to Dothan, his brothers try to kill him because they're envious of him, and they don't get him. And so just as they're about to kill and one of the brothers cries out and says, no, let's don't kill him. Let's just put him in this cistern. So they leave him in the cistern, perhaps to leave him for dad, to hide him from the father.
Speaker 1: What are we gonna do? But just at that.
Speaker 3: Time, you see that blue line that comes down right there, and it kind of matches up with the red line.
Speaker 1: You see the one that comes up from top.
Speaker 3: That's the caravan that was coming through, the Ishmaelite caravan that was coming through. And just about the time they're coming through and Joseph is in a cistern, one of Joseph's brothers named Judas, says, hey, what if instead of killing him, what if we sell him this sea seems to be.
Speaker 1: An opportune time.
Speaker 3: The caravan is coming right now, Joseph is in the cistern, if we sell him right now, we can profit twenty shekels off of him and we don't have to kill him. And so Joseph is sold into slavery right but he is also sent to be a deliverer for his family in Egypt. And both are true, and both happened in Dothan. It was in Dothan that they tried to take his life.
Speaker 5: It was in.
Speaker 3: Dothan that God stopped it. It was in Dothan that he was sold into slavery.
Speaker 1: It was in.
Speaker 3: Dothan that he was positioned to be a deliverer. It was in Dothan that he got in the right cart at the right time, so that he could be positioned in the right house, so that he could have the right answer when the famine came to Egypt, when the famine came to the whole world, so that his family, who had tried to kill him would come to him, so that he would have the bread that they needed in the season that they never saw coming. And all of that happened in Dothan, because I'm trying to tell you that God does stuff in Dothan, See don't. It is a place you might not have chosen Don'tan is a place you might not like. Don't it is a place you might not have voted to go. Dothan can be a scary place. Don't It is a place where you can feel surrounded. But Dothan is a place where God will send the right car, the right person, the right thing, the right idea, the right redemption, the right opportunity at the right tide.
Speaker 5: Us store the right one becaus I hand. The God is on you, and it's always been on you. And you will not die in Dothan.
Speaker 3: You will not die in Dothan. You can't die in Dothan. And Elisha had a file in his mind. When he saw the chariots surrounding him in Dothan, he thought back, I remember somebody who was in Dothan and it looked like it was over. And his mind went to a file from a thousand years ago that if God brought Joseph to Egypt to save Israel through a place called Dothan, He's gonna do something in my situation right here.
Speaker 5: Right now.
Speaker 3: And I need one hundred glad people to shout about the fact that.
Speaker 5: God will not let you die in Dothan.
Speaker 3: I had to get an attitude with the enemy, and tell him there's more in me.
Speaker 5: Greater is he who is in me.
Speaker 3: What I'm going through right now is nothing compared to the glory that will be revealed in And if you have faith to say it right now, say I've got more in me.
Speaker 5: I've gotten more in me. I've got more love in me than i've God hated me. I've got more good days ahead of me. I've got more dreams in me that I have disappointment.
Speaker 3: I know it's odd to preach off of a map, but if you look at that map one more time, it will remind you of the lesson of Elisha, who said, don't even worry about it. Keep it in context. There's more with us than against us. It will remind you of Joseph that said you meant it for evil, but God.
Speaker 1: Meant it for good.
Speaker 3: It will remind you if you look at Dopton for a moment.
Speaker 1: You'll see that it's just a dot. It's not a destiny.
Speaker 3: And that little dot was a place where the most horrible thing happened to Joseph. I'm sure he never fully recovered from what happened, but he was restored enough from what happened to move forward in the revelation of who God was. And that is what I am trying to say to you is that if you if you let this dot define you, this hard thing define you, this dothn define you, you got to remember that there's always more in me than against me, because God is in me. So what could I go through that would be greater than His plan for me? And if you keep this in context, you can say, like.
Speaker 1: Paul, I reckon. Tell your neighbor, I reckon.
Speaker 3: Because I recognize because I lift.
Speaker 5: My eyes.
Speaker 3: And I see help in the hills, and I am reminded that before my heart was filled with fear, the hills were filled with my help because He is my help. And it was so good when God gave it to me. He said, this is just a dot in your life. This is just a dot in your life. I'm coming to this side. I feel pulled to this side. I'm gonna keep my shoes on and come over here. It's a dot in your life. Put it back up there. It is a dot. He could not die there because he had more to do.
Speaker 1: God is not done with you.
Speaker 3: God is not finished with you. And I reckon. I reckon the season of suffering in your life is just a dot. Hardest men for you. I've been hearing about it. I know that some days it's all you can do, and everybody's saying how positive you are, and sometimes you feel like, well, who's gonna encourage me? But in light of what God is doing through you, this is.
Speaker 1: Just a dot.
Speaker 3: It's not even worth comparing the way that God is using your life. Do you not understand that your testimony is changing grown men's lives. They are hearing about your faith and your perseverance and what you are going through.
Speaker 6: Although it is difficult. It is a dot. God is not through with you, because the.
Speaker 3: Devil went down to Dothan, but God got there first. I'm closing. I'm closing, but just to remind somebody that God got their verse before the enemy was visible. God was there invisible, and He is in your situation, and He is in your struggle. And God is not surprised. And this is just a dot because greater is He that is in me than any enemy that is against me. And I got a file in my mind called it's not fine, but He's faithful.
Speaker 1: Let's open that file for a moment. Today, What.
Speaker 3: Would it look like for you to open the file in your mind to just reframe your situation with the faithfulness of God. For all the Dothans that you thought you wouldn't survive, how many have already seen a few Dothans come and go, But God stay faithful. Raise your hand, jump up on your feet, now waive in me if God has been faithful to you up until this point in your life, and now clap your hands and thank Him that he did it, that he.
Speaker 5: Left you with.
Speaker 1: So ruth.
Speaker 3: Dothan is a place where you can admit it's both I'm surrounded and I'm secure.
Speaker 1: Because I keep it in context.
Speaker 3: When you begin to praise God for his faithfulness, you shrink the enemy.
Speaker 1: And he has no power over you.
Speaker 3: When you begin to open up your mind and say, God, I've seen good days and bad days.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 3: I've seen times when I thought I wouldn't make it, but I did.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 3: I've seen how You've used things in my life that I never would have imagined to open doors I never even knew to pray for God, I'm praying that.
Speaker 1: Right now, this.
Speaker 3: Moment in my life, this dot on the map of your mission and your purpose for me would not define me.
Speaker 1: Father.
Speaker 3: I pray for those today who have felt in their hearts and in their spirits like this is the end. I agree with your truth concerning them, that it is nothing compared to the glory that you will reveal in them. I thank you for what you're doing in their life. Even now, you're developing fruit and character and maturity, and you will not leave them alone in Dothan. God, I thank you for the moments that you showed up for me in Dothan. I was surrounded, didn't know what to do. I couldn't understand it, but you put it in context, and you reminded me that not only are you faithful and not only are you good, but you can get glory out of any situation.
Speaker 1: Hallelujah.
Speaker 3: I thank you Lord that you're getting glory out of my situation right now, even if it doesn't feel good to me, you're getting glory out of my situation right now. I thank you that I'm going to turn around and encourage others with the hope that you encouraged me with. I thank you, Lord that you're making me more graceful toward others because of the grace that you've given me, and now just slip both of your hands up in the air in this moment and lift your eyes to the hills where your help comes from. And know in this moment that whatever is surrounding you, your God is surrounding it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Lord, Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to those of you who give generously to this ministry. Is because of you that this ministry is possible. You can click the link in the description to give now or visit Elevationchurch dot org slash podcast for more information and if you enjoyed the podcast, you can subscribe.
Speaker 1: You can share it with your friends.
Speaker 2: You can click the share button, take a screenshot and share it on your social stories and tag us at Elevation Church.
Speaker 3: Thanks again for listening. God bless you.