Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dannis Dan Patrick Show. We are here at Fountain Blue Hotel. We're pool's side. Nobody's gone in the pool yet, but it's early in the week. But coming up Chris Simms, Pro Football Talk, Football Night in America, will stop by. We'll try to sneak in a couple of phone calls. Next week in the Premier League on NBC in Peacock and USA network. It's Saturday, Nottingham Forest plays host to Newcastle. The next Saturday Arsenal out for revenge. They go to west Ham. The Premier League on NBC, Peacock and USA. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country numbering four hundred cities. A couple things to think about here. I already know who I'm taking in the Super Bowl. I'm not betting against Patrick Mahomes. Learn my lesson before, not going to bet against Tom Brady, not going to bet against Patrick Mahomes. And I know Sam foran Cisco favored by two. I don't care about it. Kansas City I think will still win outright here, but it's based off of him. I just think in the moment, I'm counting on him to do something that maybe brock Purty won't be able to do. Doesn't mean brock Purty can't be the MVP and obviously win this game. But you start to look at long shots for MVP, and we always we've had a few of these now. I thought Malcolm Butler deserved to be the MVP when he had the interception against Russell Wilson that to me, won the game. There's nobody more valuable than the guy who just won the game because he prevented Seattle from scoring a touchdown. He should have been the MVP in that game. Tom Brady got that. I thought that. Let's see the Atlanta super Bowl. I thought James White should have been the MVP. Tom Brady got that as well. But if you're looking for a long shot here, who would be the long shot for MVP?
Speaker 3: Long shot ish Isaiah Pacheco is in that next tier, Chris Jones will be in that next tier where you could make some money off it.
Speaker 4: Those would be the big ones for me.
Speaker 3: Like you got to go really deep, Like again, a defensive line, like George carl Office is wady.
Speaker 4: Well, what about San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Nick Bosa is like off the first tier of Purdy and McCaffrey. Brandon Ayuk, I think is the value pick there because again he's not in the top three or four.
Speaker 4: How often does a receiver get MVP honors in the past.
Speaker 3: Julian Edelman got it in twenty nineteen. Then you have to go back to Santonio Holmes for the Steelers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Ben Roethlisberger deserved that. Heinz Ward got one, Dian Branch got one. Yeah. So there's been a few receivers.
Speaker 3: In the past, maybe twenty Cooper cup got it with the Rams and I forgot about that one really.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh well, Odell Beckham was on his way that. I think he started out, he was, you know, great, and then he got injured.
Speaker 3: Over the past fifteen years, non quarterbacks, Von Miller got one against Cam Newton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Malcolm Smith got one.
Speaker 3: I think a few interceptions for Seattle in that Super Bowl. A linebacker Malcolm Smith did he have three picks?
Speaker 4: No, gotta check that. Malcolm Smith. That was his career peak. No offense. That was against the Broncos.
Speaker 5: That was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a twenty fourteen Seahawks win.
Speaker 3: Okay against Antonio Holmes, Hines, war Dion Branch, Dexter Jackson. He got in two thousand and three for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with a couple of picks.
Speaker 4: Then you got to go back to guys like ray Lewis in two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Okay, did Timmy Smith get MVP that year for Washington? Williams got it? Yeah, yeah, Doug Williams, but Timmy.
Speaker 4: Smith had what two hundred yards rushing? The Reskins probably could have had five MVPs that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that it once again? I think that was against Denver, wasn't it, ton Yes, it was, yeah.
Speaker 4: And I just remember number to Lily just changed.
Speaker 2: They took advantage of Tony Lilly the he was the safety?
Speaker 4: Was he free safety?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That's all you could say. I'm just running down the side.
Speaker 2: Who else would be in that mix for a long shot MVP? How often have running backs here?
Speaker 3: Because running backs in history you had to go backpack in the running back era, like Otis Anderson stole one for the New York Giants, Terrell Davis got one and Smith got one. We haven't had a running back in a bit. Well, you haven't a running back in fifteen years.
Speaker 4: Otis Anderson got the MVP and that win against Buffalo. Yeah, once they got the lead, he took.
Speaker 2: Yeah that man, that defense was so good that day. But all right, you know it's weird where and I've been around people when they have to vote, and sometimes you vote earlier than you need to. I still think having seen Ben lead the Steelers to that win against Arizona, that was that was impressive.
Speaker 4: He won the game for them.
Speaker 2: Now Holmes makes the catch, but I thought Ben was spectacular in that two minute drill.
Speaker 6: Yes, Marvin malchaol Smith had tend combined tackles, deflect for to pass, recover to fumble, and return an interception for a touchdown.
Speaker 4: Okay, decent game. Yeah yeah yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about going down and putting together a futures back for the show. You want to know what our pick, Rashi Rice.
Speaker 4: MVP?
Speaker 3: What if he catches like eleven balls? Travis Kelcey's locked up a little bit, good story. Of course, they're gonta give it to Mahomes because he's complete all the fastest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but will they give it to rock party again.
Speaker 2: Kansas City wins, and then they go, well, we got to give it to somebody.
Speaker 4: Then it would be Mahomes Kittles plus six thousand. Okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you see where Travis Kelcey called George Kittle the best tight end in football? I think, you know, he was being politically you know, uh neutral. I think he was trying to say the right things what he was. I think he was trying to be like, yeah, yeah, I think George Kittle. Do you think Travis Kelsey really feels that. Hell no, no he doesn't. Yes, did you.
Speaker 7: See where Gronk said that Kelsey.
Speaker 4: Is the best of all time? Okay, that's that's more. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: That is I got something here. Now, Dan Patrick takes a gamble. On Thursday, we'll record that podcast here in Las Vegas. Shayan Irving is going to be here. Dylan the graphics guy, Bad Larry will join us as well. Here's one for you. I've never even heard of this bet before. In the Super Bowl with all the prop bets, super Bowl novelty prop bet combined touchdown score jersey numbers, all of the people scoring touchdowns their jersey numbers. What do you think the what do you think the over under is? If you combine all the Jersey numbers. Now, I'm assuming if McCaffrey scores two touchdowns, then you are going to add that twice. Correct, that would be all the touchdowns score?
Speaker 3: Yes, pot, So if Kelsey scores a touchdown, there's eighty eighty seven towards that.
Speaker 4: Eighty seven to twenty five and a half, Marvin, what about you to fifty four and a half, DoD to thirty eight and.
Speaker 2: A half minx Seaton, well go two, one hundred even, Well, I think you'll be surprised. Combine td score Jersey numbers one twenty one and a half.
Speaker 4: Damg, I like that.
Speaker 2: But I so I think it's everybody scoring touchdown. So if Kelsey has two of them, then you've already gone over what.
Speaker 4: See? I had this a little bit about this dumb thing. So every time you say odds, what was a right Seaton does, it's like like wow, I can't wait, very shocking, like that? Are you?
Speaker 1: But are you?
Speaker 4: Are you making fun of me these round so? Yeah, you are. He's fake reacting. No, well he's making fun of me. Wow, yeah, but it makes me laughing. I don't know why.
Speaker 7: I feel like it's something like my mom used to always do. Or so, what's other big happits? You would go, Johnson's just got a new Adac wow.
Speaker 3: Rolling Yeah, Okay, opening odds, you could have got Travis Kelcey at plus ten thousand for MVP.
Speaker 4: Now he's plus twelve hundred.
Speaker 3: The big one, our guy, Rashi Rice, he was plus twenty five thousand when he opened the odds.
Speaker 4: He's plus five thousand now.
Speaker 3: Party went from plus four hundred for Super Bowl MVP to plus two twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it feels like the guy who throws the touchdown pass is going to get more credit than the guy who catches it.
Speaker 4: Certainly in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: Yes, March depends on who it is, because if Rock Party throws it, it's going to be because Brandon Ayu was wide open.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he saved him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody ever says man Travis Kelcey is wide open, you can't miss him. It's always like Man Mahomes and Kelsey. You know, somehow they got some synchronicity here. If Rock Party throws, it's like man Ayuka is unbelievable.
Speaker 4: George Kittle, he can get open deep. Yes, Bould I have.
Speaker 3: A prop bet oh, the Super Bowl MVP when he's up on the podium and you've interviewed these guys before, Dan, who do they think first want ano the odds God slash religious figure because they want to pinpoint God all you know, yeah, wah, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Teammates. Yeah, the most high I don't think that's happened before.
Speaker 3: I'm checking teammates is plus two ninety coach plus one thousand family kids plus sixteen hundred team organization.
Speaker 4: And then the fans, so God again for the fourth year in a row, leading the odds of MVP. Thank you?
Speaker 2: Who was the guy who said was was it Carmelo who said he wanted to thank himself at the SPS?
Speaker 4: He wanted the college play of the Year. I like to thank myself for being so great?
Speaker 7: And well, who was it that thinks his hands for being so great? Freddie Mitchell, Freddie mitt I want to thank my hands for being so great?
Speaker 4: Right, Catch of the Year at the SPS? Fred x Man cowboy hat and all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, I've been up there when you're not quite sure what they're going to say, and uh, because normally first person you're talking to is the coach or the owner, and then you go to the players, So Josey the owner, they get the trophy and then so they're not going to be thanking.
Speaker 4: So is it the first person? Than this is the m v p's first thank you? Oh the m v P. Okay, all right, we'll keep an eye on it, all right.
Speaker 7: Well, I think jac for being so great, Yeah you can.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think I wouldn't better against jac ever, you know, because that's.
Speaker 7: That's he's the Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it makes it more difficult than he have to, but it always works out. Yeah, yeah, it's all part of his plan. Yeah, he's likable. Patrick's plan. Yeah. Patrick Mahomes is playing. Yes, well, Andy Reid's too.
Speaker 7: I mean they came.
Speaker 2: Andy Reid doesn't get the credit though, Like Bill Belichick would get credit for winning Super bowls Andy Reid doesn't get credit. It feels like you don't think, not not the way Belichick did that. It felt like that was always split. I don't think people go and Andy Reid is a great coach. He's a Hall of Fame coach. Here's something you to consider, if you know, if you're not sure, you know, where you're gonna put your money on Super Bowl Sunday. Andy Reid is winning percentage after a bye week, So this is regular season, first round of the playoffs by or that week before the super Bowl week, so a week before Andy Reid's teams take the field. Do you want to guess what is winning percentage is because we do have a week, you know before the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yes, Ton, I'm.
Speaker 8: Gonna use Travis Kelsey's number and say eighty seven three.
Speaker 4: All right, okay, Marvin, what about you, I'm gonna say ninety eight percent.
Speaker 2: All right, Seedon seventy five, Paul, seventy eight percent, eighty one percent, eighty one percent of the time, thank you.
Speaker 4: Seedon.
Speaker 2: Andy Reid is thirty and seven after a bye week. So that's regular season first round or the Super Bowl off week. Best record by any coach under the current format since nineteen ninety.
Speaker 4: So we're counting this past week as a by Oh, pall it.
Speaker 5: That's out of the.
Speaker 9: Day, out of the day, scout out of a day. This is the start of the day, out of the day.
Speaker 2: It brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. By the way, All of our in studio guests receive a gift bag courtesy of Keeper's Heart Good Ranchers. Miller liked the original Louisiana brand, Hot Sauce, King Swainan and Traiger Grills.
Speaker 7: Yes, didn't speak of Andy Reid not getting any credit. Didn't Eric the Enemy just leave because Andy Reid got all the credit? And he was like, damn it, I'm the one doing this offense. I'm gonna go out on my own and prove that I'm the guy. I think Patrick Mahomes got all the credit. Therefore, oh, anybody could be an offensive coordinator. Well, but then okay, so then that means Eric the Enemy's third in line for credit at least third.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still nobody talked about Eric Benemy the offensive coordinator dialing things up. It was Mahomes got it, then it was Andy Reid, and then it was Eric Benemy.
Speaker 4: Yeah mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But you know who's getting all the credit this year of the Chiefs win Taylor Swift. Correct, everyone's getting jobed on that one.
Speaker 4: The t Swift bound. Does she get blamed? Though?
Speaker 2: What are the odds for Taylor Swift m VP and Super Bowl Sunday League MVP. Check it checking. I mean I might take some of that action. I mean no, I mean.
Speaker 4: Easy, okay, easy.
Speaker 2: To watch your mouth. Here's Travis Kelsey talking about Taylor Swift's fan base.
Speaker 10: I think Taylor's fan base it is absolutely unbelievable. The support they give her, the support that they give, what she supports and well she loves in this world or wants to support and it's just been. It's been also to see, you know, the NFL expand in that regard and here just how many young girlf are getting into the game of football, are enjoying those moments with their fathers and their loved ones they spent off in the year.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's a feel good story right now, Yes, Marv. Until they break up and all those Kelsey Jersey's gonna be burned. Now, I think it's real. That song is gonna be real break well break up songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, what can you rhyme with eighty seven? It's that the only if she's gonna write a song or Kelsey?
Speaker 4: Yeah right, somebody said eighty seven, got eighty six? Okay, Oh that's not bad. Mark, Yeah, I stole that, but I'm gonna take credit. Okay, yeah, Kelsey, Yeah, jealousy Kellys No, No, not Kell's. It's kind of eminem you use this extra syllables. Kel's your way out of the Yeah.
Speaker 7: He's actually lucky too because she's already got her new next album. I know it come out, So he's like, I'm a ready a full album cycle ahead of this.
Speaker 2: And I think she wrote a couple of songs about her ex boyfriend.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think there was a club that they started where it's like a miserable Man's club or something, and I think she has this song about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what was the he Man Woman Haters Club?
Speaker 7: Wasn't that like rats?
Speaker 2: That's right, And you start a club like that when you don't have a girl, you know. That's the reason why that's the reason why I don't have a girlfriend. Yeah, yeah, but yeah, Travis, you know she did write her new album, new album, and he may take a couple of shots the previous boyfriend, the actor what's name Joe Alwyn or something.
Speaker 4: Like that, I think it is, yeah, yeah, yeah, or guy I said it like I knew, yeah, yeah, yeah. Find a one hour poole question.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, yeah. Let's see we have somebody asked by the way do comics use notes? Okay, that's fair. We had this pole question suggested this means fair. What's what's worse Todd singing or his comedy? Jason, That's not necessary is the area at all?
Speaker 2: I'm offended for Todd's one friend and that guy's liquored up is okay, let's let's I noticed red Bull is popular in this town, very popular.
Speaker 4: And I get why. Yeah, I get why.
Speaker 2: It's it's I haven't been to bed yet, and I'm gonna have some Red Bull. If I said, Todd singing or his comedy?
Speaker 4: Which do we like more? Which do we like more? Marvin, I'll start with you. I'm gonna go with singing, singing, all right, See.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go comedy. I like Todd's comedy a lot. He's actually it's it doesn't always land, all right. His his and Andy Reid's winning percentage are not the same. However, he's very creative. Todd is super creative. Paulli, Tod, I'm gonna throw you a compliment here. I think your comedy and your singing, in my mind.
Speaker 4: Is exactly the same. That's a compliment. I love them both equally. I think you're funnier. No, combine the combined the to.
Speaker 2: I think you're funnier when you're not trying to be funny.
Speaker 4: You're doing that.
Speaker 2: I think you're the funniest guy of our group. But I don't think you're as funny when you're trying to be funny and you're singing.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's as good as you think it is.
Speaker 2: But but I do. But but but that's because I think you think.
Speaker 4: You're as you know that. I think you whoa are you? Singlehood?
Speaker 1: Not good singing?
Speaker 2: I do sing a lot, and and Seaton will always say you can't sing. That's not true, not always said that.
Speaker 7: I said that to you one time as a joke years ago, and you mentioned it to me every other day.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I'll even say it in front of seat. And when I'm singing, I go, oh, yeah, I can't sing?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Is that because you know what?
Speaker 7: People who think they can single can't sing, sound.
Speaker 4: Like I can't sing?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, you can sing. I think you would be a good lounge singer, you real, because you have bass. I think there's a lane for.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Alright, oh dear, how about that?
Speaker 4: Not a stalking lounge?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just check the reaction to the ladies in the front row back there.
Speaker 4: Oh, challenge yourself.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you like Town Jones have more sports saldng Yeah, yeah, you did give us Olivia Newton John Let's get quizzic, which is really supposed to be horrible.
Speaker 8: And it turned out to be something horrible, like she died a second depth because I did that.
Speaker 2: Here it is here, it is sports radio connversation.
Speaker 8: You gotta answer it just right, you know what mean?
Speaker 4: Don't google.
Speaker 8: Let you try to think it out telling yourself nothing to you.
Speaker 2: Now, that's funny, Like you're not trying to be funny, but that's funny.
Speaker 4: That was meant to be a serious tribute to me.
Speaker 2: No, that's the thing. You meant it as a serious tribute, but it was funny.
Speaker 3: Yes, So what we learned is when you try to do something good, it's really funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you're not trying to be funny, then you're funny as long as somehow, some way it's I think.
Speaker 2: That I do think you can sing. I just don't think you can sing as well as you think you can. Okay, I think that's right there.
Speaker 8: Okay, the shower with the right acoustics I really think I got something there. But once you're out in any other location and its clothes on.
Speaker 2: And it's kind of tough to, you know, entertain people. If you're in your shower singing, not many people are going to be.
Speaker 4: Able to try to pixture of big crowd.
Speaker 2: Make sure you're picture and something in there. All right, how about we take a break. I told you about how about we take a break. You're the one who said you played nerve football and your pants ended up down around your ankles.
Speaker 4: What are we doing? But you did?
Speaker 2: That was funny, little bite local. I gotta go to commercial break. Okay, breakfast once again. Let's take a break and we'll talk to Chris Sims and we're back after this. In the Dan Patrick Show, you can take your big game party to a whole new level. The original Louisiana brand hot sauce. We brought all of it with us, and in fact, we've had it on our breakfast burritos this morning and also the the food that we have later today that does being cooked up today. We have some Louisiana the original Louisiana brand hot sauce, and you can use that. Your tailgate will be taken to another level. It's crafted with a time tested recipe, So join the team who swear by The original Louisiana Brand Hot Sauce, the go to choice for those who crave great flavor. I wanted to sneak this in Seaton. Had a cheeseburger last night and I thought, maybe you bring in the Louisiana Hot Sauce. Have it in your pocket. Yeah, yeah, a little bit that The garlic one is fine, dangerously great. The original Louisiana Brand Hon Sauce the perfect hot sauce for those who demand great flavor with the right amount of heat. The Original Louisiana Brand Hot Sauce flavor favors the bold.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey gang, this is Jay Glazer of Unbreakable, a Mental wealth podcast, and every week we will have on leaders from sports entertainment like Sean McVay, Lindsay Vaughn, Michael phelf, David Spade, got Fiemmi, and also those who can help us in between the ears, anyone from a therapist to someone like Ed Milette or John Gordon. We've all been through some sort of adversity to get to the top. We've all used different tools. Listen to Unbreakable with Jay Glazer and Mental Wealth podcast on the Ieart radio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get podcasts.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm gonna say this, and it's going to be controversial. This is the best audience that we've had so far here.
Speaker 4: In as Lander. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's the best audience we've had so far.
Speaker 4: In the history of the day've had a show in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll at the super Bowl absolutely, Yes, four more years that I'm doing this show.
Speaker 4: I think that's in your contract. It is this, Yeah, the call for four more years that that's kind of actually obligated. Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: If you said five more years, then that you know, that might be headline making. But only four more years there, that'll be it. And then we're all done, and then who knows what happens to these guys in front of me. I'm more concerned about Todd what happens to you.
Speaker 4: Ristlock stop.
Speaker 2: We were kicking extra points and Fritzy blocked one of them, and then now you're going to be injured.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be a little purpose. It's a little bruce. And do they have a local thing here? It is not.
Speaker 2: There is nothing around the walk in emergency for walking clinic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why don't you go to the walk in clinic? Thumbs not pending like it's supposed to it.
Speaker 2: He's Chris Sims, Pro Football Talk Love co host Football Night in America. His podcast is called Unbuttoned. Former NFL Texas quarterback and great contributor to our program. Saylo to Chris Simms. Here all right, dressed in black line time.
Speaker 4: Bruise there, there's no bruise yet. Soft. Oh my, he's soft it. It'd be better if it's broke the story, it will be better. Right now. He came around the edge.
Speaker 2: He's gonna milk it for all. It was a good block. No, it was a low kick and that's how you blocked it.
Speaker 4: It just stuck my thumb.
Speaker 2: I was worried that you were going to take one in the face, though, which would have been great content.
Speaker 4: It would have been great.
Speaker 2: The number one question right now, right this Tuesday, Yeah, at eight to thirty local time, right, but the Super Bowl is what?
Speaker 5: Oh can the forty nine Ers get back to peak football play in a two week frame, right, that would be my big thing. We haven't seen the forty nine ers play, uh, the way we all gushed about the Niners right in the middle part of the season when they went through the the winning streak there. I mean, since before the Ravens game was the last time I looked at the forty nine Ers and went, oh, there they are hitting on all sol run game, pass game, defense.
Speaker 4: Awesome.
Speaker 5: It's rare to be going to the Super Bowl where you've been out played the last two games. I mean, you know, Green Bay kind of blew it. Detroit in my opinion, definitely blew it right. So that is going to be the big question to me, and gonna have to be an adjustment of style of play from San Francisco as compared to what they've done, because the Chiefs have peaked right and they still look like they're going up and they figured things out, and I just don't know where.
Speaker 4: The forty nine ers are right now. How much do you.
Speaker 2: Think it's in the back of Kyle Shanahan's mind what happened when he was the offensive coordinated with the Falcons, like getting those questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, not running the Super Bowl. Now you're back in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I know, play calling in the Super Bowl does that change if you're up big or I mean he's a friend of yours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's my buddy.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm nervous for him because I know how big this is to his legacy, right. I mean, he's without question in my opinion, and I don't think it's you know, anybody would be far off. He's the best coach in football with Andy Reid. I mean, it's four to five NFC Championship games, his coaching tree, the GMS, everybody, look at the whole league. Everybody's just like, did you work for Shanahan, We'll hire you. Did you work for Shannan, We'll hire you.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So, but if he loses here, it's gonna be Oh, Kyle Shanahan can't win the big game again, can't come through. And you know, I don't think that's fair. He's very honest and open and direct about answering these things that you talk about. First off, I got a problem with the Atlanta Falcons twenty eight three. Thing, isn't Dan Quinn a defensive coach? Isn't He the one that's supposed to manage the football game.
Speaker 4: Like last night, Jared.
Speaker 2: Quinn does not get blamed for shocking. It is shocking you think Kyle Shanahan was the head coach.
Speaker 4: Shockings Like I think I've said this to you before.
Speaker 5: If the roles were reversed and Josh McDaniels was in the Patriots were the ones with the lead, we wouldn't be going, oh, Josh mccams.
Speaker 4: We go what is Bill Belichick doing? Why did he not run the ball? Why?
Speaker 5: It's the head coach's job to get on the headset and go, hey, offense coordinator, I want to do this right here for this situation, Hey, run the ball. Here, run the ball. The offensive coordinator is going to do what he does, which was attack that year. Right then they have this course of Super Bowl. They lose to the Chiefs, and hey, let's be honest, that was tough. And the Chiefs are special. I mean, this is a special team to be down twenty to ten and seven minutes left in the Super Bowl and come back. We don't see that happen very much. And that's because of this quarterback. So yeah, it is a big day. He's got a lot of pressure on him, for sure, but he's still a great coach and he doesn't back down.
Speaker 4: For any of those conversations with anybody. Is Kyle Shanahan and Brock Perty's here during the game, Well, I mean, you know, until it's legally cut off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I don't think it's like It's not like we've seen in year's past with McVeigh and golf, where he's at the line of scrimmage. Right, they don't huddle, so then he can tell him stuff. Perty is extremely intelligent.
Speaker 4: He's you know, in a lot of ways found his Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 5: Let's say, for lack of a better way of saying that, a guy that's you know, a.
Speaker 4: Nerd, a football junkie.
Speaker 5: Well, I can give them seven thousand rules and checks and he'll remember them all and he'll be able to read the defense and almost be an extension of Shanahan on the football field.
Speaker 4: But your comp is Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 5: It's a it would be something along those lines, right, Yeah, it would be like that. It would be Kirk Cousins ish, right, he's got a mac Jones skill set ish right, Yeah, you know Drew Brees ish, but not as good as Drew Brees, or at least I'm not ready to say that Drew's had a little more physical ability than people want to give him credit.
Speaker 2: For give you credit because we went from Brock perty Joe Montana. Yeah, And I'm like, no, no, no, how about we come down the ladder a little bit. You're at least being reasonable and respectable by saying, you know, there's a Kirk Cousins feel to him.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I don't say that as an insult. That's positive to me. You could win a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 4: I believe that.
Speaker 5: You know, again, you got to have a team around you, and team's important, and I think we forget about that. We're in the era of Brady and Mahomes and Manning and we just quarterback quarterback, quarterback quarterback. And you know, I grew up in an era. Hey, like you know, Phil Simson the Giants beat the Denver Broncos. Phil was not as good as John Elway, but his team was better. So he won on that day, right, and he was hot and played great. But I think we lose sight of that a little bit. Do we not think Dan Marino wouldn't have won a super Bowl or two if he was on the forty nine ers in the eighties.
Speaker 4: I mean that's where you can say, Dad, I won the super Bowl. That's the day.
Speaker 5: Dad's a man and he was a baller on the biggest day. I mean, he saved his best game for the biggest day. Does he ever bring that up to you guys?
Speaker 4: Nos?
Speaker 2: He never, like, you know, maybe has a beer, a couple of beers, and it's like, hey, let me tell you about the game against Denver.
Speaker 4: Not at all, Like he's just not like that.
Speaker 5: We can get him going on crazy stories every now and then, tell us a Lawrence story.
Speaker 4: Tell us that, okay, you know all of those things.
Speaker 2: Explain the Lawrence Taylor story when he shows up at your house and your mom answers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well this has happened on many occasions.
Speaker 11: Right, So this is many at least two to three at least two to three.
Speaker 4: Right, And Lawrence A.
Speaker 5: Court was famous for being out late at night, right, and not going to sleep and continuing into the next day.
Speaker 4: Right, That's just what Lawrence did.
Speaker 5: Right. That's where sometimes you got to be who you are. Lawrence started working out and like drinking protein shakes. I don't know if he'd have been Lawrence Taylor right, he needed that edge, but either way, he would call the house at four point thirty in the morning and you know, I'm down the hallway and it's old days. It's not a cell phone. The whole house is ringing, right, it's ring and You're like, what, who the hell is calling.
Speaker 4: Our house right now? No caller ID And you know my dad just.
Speaker 5: Owed Diana answer it, you know, and my mom answered in oh yo, well yes, hi, oh hi lt ho hi. And you know, he'd always have these like crazy comments he'd say to my dad, like what's the you know, what's up with you white people?
Speaker 4: Why are you always sleeping right? And the like we said all that stuff, which like we you know, we love it is great, it is great.
Speaker 5: Uh but yeah, he'd he'd tell Dad, Hey, I'm gonna be there in a few minutes. I need your golf clubs, a pair of golf slacks, golf shirt. Dad would be like, I don't have any golf pants that are gonna fit over your big button legs. You know, he'd say that, but yeah, then I you know, on on two occasions like I hear Dad, get up, go outside, and there's Lawrence in the front in the driveway and he's grabbing the clubs and feeling them and swinging around, and he's got a shirt off, and he's gonna put another shirt on. He's gonna get changed right in the driveway, and then he's gonna tell my dad to make him a.
Speaker 4: Tea time somewhere local. And that's uh. We had the pleasure of dealing with that a few times.
Speaker 2: But it feels like old school coaches like Bill Parcells had to look the other way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, he.
Speaker 2: Was Bill Belichick was the defensive coordinator, right, they didn't hold it.
Speaker 4: I mean, he was so great they didn't hold him accountable.
Speaker 5: He is right, it's Bill Belichick who holds everybody accountable now for you know and these so.
Speaker 4: We're gonna blame Belichick, Well, I the head coach.
Speaker 5: But this is what's funny about it is, I mean Lawrence at one time, as I have understood, had to sleeping bag on the floor in the defensive meeting room right at Bill Belichick's feet because they knew, like Lawrence was probably out all night, so they want him to rest up.
Speaker 4: So he could practice a little bit, so he'd lay.
Speaker 5: On the ground and every now and then go hey, you know, hey Lawrence, you got that what we said, and he'd kind of roll over, got it and he would.
Speaker 4: Be laying on the ground. And it was a different era.
Speaker 5: Definitely not the same today, certainly, Uh you know, maybe a little less politically correct, crazy in your face, letting things go on at a lot.
Speaker 4: Of fun those days. Yeah, can't you know, you can't. Can't.
Speaker 5: I can't even players now. I don't even feel I can take old school coaching to a degree, right. You just you got to find the right blend. And I think that's what's really cool about these two coaches in this Super Bowl. Like if you've ever been to a Shanahan or and Andy Reid practice, it's extremely intense. There is no nonsense, you know, and then they both have a blend of no one had to talk to their guys and be cool with them.
Speaker 4: But yet you know.
Speaker 5: They're the boss, and you know they might throw a few four letter words at you every now and then if they don't like what you're doing out there.
Speaker 4: And that's where they have the magic touch.
Speaker 2: I've been saying this for years, And if the commissioner would come on the show. I would say it too, if why can't we give like you know, the Denver Broncos offensive line against the Packers in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were the MVP. I hear you, like, can you give it to a group? Right?
Speaker 2: I know we always want to have the car, you know, hey, and here's your Chevy truck. Yes, but to give it to a group I think would be awesome if you gave it to the secondary of the Seahawks. Yeah, I think that would would have been awesome.
Speaker 5: I'm with you in the fact that I know I've complained about this with you before.
Speaker 4: Of you know, it's just are we.
Speaker 5: Just in the era of the quarterbacks that were the heisman? The quarterbacks and then win the MVP every year no matter what? Right, And yeah, there's some Super Bowls in the past, whether you go the Patriots and Giants Super Bowl forty two, right, I mean, man, the defense, Holy cow that day Strahan touch. They won the game. They won the game, won the clutch and amazing at the end, not taking anything away from him Brady and his first Super Bowl in ninety eight cards throwing yes, just going into the last drive of the game.
Speaker 4: He won the MVP. With throwing for one hundred and forty five yards. This secondary won that game, right pick six? They stopped the greatest show on turf. So I'm with you in the way.
Speaker 5: I wish the voters would, you know, get away from the eye candy sometimes.
Speaker 4: But are you allowed to do that? They probably know.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen the ballot, but it feels like, you know, unless somebody starts a writing campaign. But there are times when there's a group that wins the Super Bowl. I don't disagree with you, I don't. Yeah, that Broncos offensive line with Terrell Davis against the Packers, I hear that would fit that mold too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree. Did you make your Super Bowl pick on Pro Football? Tonkio? Not yet?
Speaker 5: So before the year I picked forty nine Ers Chiefs, and I picked the forty nine ers to win.
Speaker 4: Well, then you have to stay with them. I feel like I do, you know, But I'm nervous, as I.
Speaker 2: Said, well, okay, how would it look if you're not picking your friend's football too?
Speaker 5: Yo? Well I could tell you how it looks because last year, last year I picked Philly to beat them in the NFC Championship game, right right? So I mean I'm rooting for the forty nine ers, but my brain said Philly was gonna win that game. I mean, every one of my and Kyle Shanahan's friends, his family members, like, they see it post on social media and they're all like, what the hell right, and I just go, I'm just picking the game. It doesn't mean I'm rooting for them. So I think they know that, but they would still They'll still bother me if they saw I picked.
Speaker 2: Do you still like, deep down, yeah, you're gonna go against Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 4: Right now, I don't feel like I am.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: I think if you made me bet money on the game right now, I would pick the Chiefs to win. I'm shocked right now that the forty nine Ers are two point zo favorites. I'm shocked that one team with Patrick Mahomes is continuing to find his groove. Just beat the Ravens on the road, the Bills on the road, the Dolphins at home have dominated, and another team hasn't played good football or it's best football, not even nowhere close to it, and they're the favorite.
Speaker 4: That to me is shocking. I don't understand that.
Speaker 2: The only thing that worries me and I think I've been picking the Chiefs is they didn't score in the second half against the three.
Speaker 4: Right now, that's a great defense there, but they didn't score.
Speaker 5: I know now they're the type of team that they play with their food a little at times, and I think they've also realized like who they are, and that's what that's to me, the biggest thing. And I think that's what the Christmas Day game against them, I had kind of been like, hey, can we stop getting in the shotgun trying to throw forty yard lasers down the field, like you're not that team this year? How about run the ball, play defense, screens, RPOs and you're seeing they're they to me have kind of hit New England Brady mode here where it's just like, screw all the stats and how it looks, We're just gonna win the game and nobody will really remember some of the statistics.
Speaker 4: They're just gonna go.
Speaker 5: Man, Mahomes went into Baltimore and beat the Ravens, right, and that to me is where they've turned, you know, turned the leaf or whatever you want to say. They're the phrase of just getting into that mode and stop trying to be sexy in highlight film and just go, we're gonna win the game and keep adding it up that way and dominate football and win another championship, and we'll see what happens on Sunday.
Speaker 4: But you're taking the Niners. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I really don't. I'm really conflicted. Oh I think right now I'm leaning towards the Chiefs. You know, I took the Ravens last week to beat the Chiefs. Even though I picked the Chiefs to go to the Super Bowl, I did not think. Again, it doesn't happen in football.
Speaker 4: This is what's.
Speaker 5: Amazing by them. They played B minus football the whole season. All a sudden they got in the playoffs and they go, we're gonna be a plus. Then we're gonna be the best team in football. And I was like, yeah, okay, yeah right, and here they are and it's incredible.
Speaker 4: I've never seen anything like the Chiefs. It's a very unique dynasty. They got going great stuff.
Speaker 2: All said, thank you, Bult, I always appreciate your analysis, your honesty. Chris Sim's Pro Football Talk Live co host, and he's going to take the team that's facing his good friend Kyle Shanahan. That's the kind of friend he is your former friend Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 4: If you want to stay around, we have some meat. Okay, but he's so cool, he's that kind of guy to be like. I get it. I understand why you're taking him a home. Yes, he's scary, right, So that's how it sounds a little bit. Okay, all right, we'll take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 12: Wapoooo.
Speaker 4: What a great crowd today. Best of the week.
Speaker 2: The rain held off. It's still a little breezy here. It's a little look chilly here, probably in the upper forties. Just letting anybody who's coming out to the super Bowl keep that in mind. It's it's not, you know, normal. I don't know what normal is because I'm told hit or miss in February in Las Vegas, and I would say this has been missed. But this is coming in from California. But still temperatures in the upper forties, low fifties, yes, Paul.
Speaker 3: Next three days sunny and fifty five of the high Okay, lovely temperate, that works.
Speaker 2: Pool, that's pool weather. Well once again. Uh, the favorite to go into the pool by the end of the week is Todd. I don't know if it's by your design or somebody else's get pushed in.
Speaker 4: No, no, I would not do that to you.
Speaker 2: Now. That pool over there on the side, this pool area is so big at Fountain Blue, that pool areas is heated over there.
Speaker 4: That's not very deep because we know it's not swimming issues. Yes, if I happen to fall in, I don't want to drown. Wait, you have swimming issues. Swimming is just mean not knowing how to.
Speaker 5: That water that's above my knees.
Speaker 4: I stop panicking.
Speaker 2: That is a swimming issue once it gets up to my neck, forget all right, the final results of the pole question set. I don't even know what the pole question was. Oh, that's that is very hurtful. It was extremely hurtful from you, Dan.
Speaker 7: If you could attend the Super Bowl in any one of the following cities, Vegas in New Orleans is absolutely crushing. Uh, Los Angeles and San Francisco pretty far behind.
Speaker 4: And Ken Patrick willon't be a villain. Heck yeah, yeah, he already is a villain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess. So let's see this day in sports history. Pauline got a couple for you. This is a big one.
Speaker 3: Nineteen twenty six, the NFL adopted a rule that made players ineligible for competition until their college class graduated, which.
Speaker 4: Became the NFL Draft a year later.
Speaker 3: And then let's see nineteen fifty eight Ted Williams sign of contract the Red Sox. It was worth one hundred and thirty five thousand, highest paid player in league history. And you'll like this day. In nineteen seventy, the NBA expanded to eighteen teams. New teams were Buffalo, Cleveland, Houston, Houston, h Town.
Speaker 4: Hugh Town for its n and Portland, Okay.
Speaker 2: And Buffalo was the one that fell by the wayside. Yeah, Buffalo Braves became the Clippers.
Speaker 4: Braves had Bob McAdoo.
Speaker 5: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Was that? Hugh Thirt, Main Guy, Ernie Di Gregorio, Randy Smith. Were they cool?
Speaker 2: They were very cool. Uniforms were cool, blue light blue. Doctor Jack Ramsey was the head coach and they ran They played the almost the predecessor to the Portland Trailblazers that Ramsey then took over in Portland with Bill Bill Walton in company, and they just ran. That's what Buffalo Braves did their fun team. I mentioned on this date in nineteen seventy one, Alan Shepherd the first person to hit a golf ball on the Moon. I think he actually hit two golf balls up there. Do you think he got in trouble?
Speaker 3: Puny, I got some more in that story. It was a proved that Alan Shepherd had the golf club. It was retractable like a telescopic is like retracted in and out. So he was allowed to bring it. He had it made. I don't know if everyone allowed him to bring it, but some people knew that he was bringing it up.
Speaker 2: Well, why did the article I read said that he was hiding it. He had to hide it in his suit, so maybe hide it. Maybe this is after the fact where they're like, yeah, we knew he was going up there with a golf club. They didn't even know they were going to come back from the moon, and they're like, yeah, I'm taking a golf club up there, hit some balls up there. You're probably not coming back. Might as well enjoy yourself. Let's go around the room. What we learn on the program. Ton I'm gonna start with you, what you learned today?
Speaker 8: Troy Yikman appreciates that you made everyone to where Patrick Mahomes doesn't even have as many Super Bowl wins as he does easy with the goat talk.
Speaker 4: All right, Seaton O'Connor, we found ourselves a new hype man. Yeah, let's go, Marvin. What did you learn? Fritzie can't swim, he can't sing.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's not necessary, Pauli Todd.
Speaker 4: Fritz has played Vegas, Vegas, so you have played the Fountain Blue. Marvin? Uh No, Fritzie, what did I learn?
Speaker 8: Chris sims is shocked the forty nine ers or two point feririts against Mahomes and the struggles to getists.
Speaker 2: Green dot com the official tire expertus the Dan Patrick Show. They got free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tire rec dot Com the way tire buying should be. My thanks to the Fountain Blue are great sponsors, the great audience here.
Speaker 4: Thank you. We'll talk to you tomorrow. Dan Patrick Show