Speaker 1: We can't believe how boring this is. Why didn't we have to come here?
Speaker 2: We had to and thank you for that exciting number. It was most stimulating. We're hoping you're having a wonderful time and now to continue this exciting evening. Joseph Carillo. Yeah, I told them you would.
Speaker 1: You've literally lost it.
Speaker 2: They're gonna love it.
Speaker 1: Come on, this is not the right place.
Speaker 2: Sure it is. Come on, they're gonna love it.
Speaker 3: Come on, Colin, take your body, baby, do loo gone guy, No, you can come tell yourself any longer.
Speaker 2: Joseph, turn it up. Let's do this. Col baby, No, you can't enjoy yourself any longer.
Speaker 4: Everybody gather around now.
Speaker 1: Left your Badyfield decade work.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Please give it a very warm welcome for the one the only, mister JK. Huda. I'm your host, Liliana Oscuez.
Speaker 1: And I'm Joseph Carrio, and this is becoming an icon.
Speaker 2: A weekly podcast where we give you the rundown on how today's most famous LATINX stars have shaped pop culture.
Speaker 1: And given the world some extra tubble.
Speaker 2: Sit back and get comfortable.
Speaker 3: Because we are going in the only way we know how with buena vis whenas risas.
Speaker 2: And a lot of opinions as we relive their greatest achievements on our journey to find out what makes them so iconic. Here today to discuss all things in Miami, including of course the music and legacy of Gloria and Emilios Stefan. We're welcoming a new guest to the Becoming an Icon crew.
Speaker 3: He is a Colombian musician, producer and singer songwriter from Barankiya.
Speaker 2: And no, he does not know Shakira. He did, though, launch his solo career in twenty seventeen and has a brand new single, El Primero Nosolvida, which is a little bit regional Mexicano, launching at the end of this month. And of course, like Joseph and I, he has a similar love and passion for all things Musika. Please give a very warm welcome to JK.
Speaker 1: Welcome JK.
Speaker 5: All right, awesome, I love that. I love that. That's a great beginning. Thank you guys for having me. Super excited to be here with you and we can talk about whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Were dating, I'm like, what are you dating? Yeah, let's get the mix. No, I promise we won't go there to the end. But what's interesting about you coming on our show is that we've interviewed a lot of journalists, a lot of podcasters. I don't think, Joseph, that we've ever had a musician come on and give their point of view on some of our icons. So this is the first for us and a real treat for our audience.
Speaker 3: And also we get to get a perspective of someone who would plan to maybe go the route of Glodia and Emilia.
Speaker 2: We don't know, it's so true, So this is gonna be really fun for us, and we want to hear all of like the inside BTS industry talk that we don't usually get because Joseph and I are just fans. Let's be honest, Like, yes, we're professionals, we're you know, he's a global makeup artist that's recognized all over the world, and like, yes, I'm an entertainment reporter, but we are just fans of music and I know you are too. So when you hear Miami Sound Machine, JK, what comes to mind?
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: I think that's was the one of the smartest moves that at Latino could do in the industry because they basically they took all the traditional Latin rhythms with you know that that particular sound of the eighties and nineties, and and I think that was great. They made everybody dance to our music, to our rhythm, to our percussion, to our drums.
Speaker 1: Timbali congas.
Speaker 3: Quick question for you, Kay, what was the very first song that you ever remember hearing from the Miami sound machine.
Speaker 5: You just need to you just need to hear that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that could be those like the two second music trivia and it's like you're like, I know it.
Speaker 1: Exactly, I already know. JK.
Speaker 2: What is it called when it's like just a few notes or a chord that triggers that instant recognition of a song? What do you call that?
Speaker 1: Oh? Wow?
Speaker 5: I think that's that's basically whenever a song starts, that's a hook.
Speaker 1: You know. It's like whenever hook, that's what it is.
Speaker 5: Yes, Whenever it's something that it's so that you understand you recognize the song right away, it's it's a hook.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh.
Speaker 2: Wow, because there's certain songs right that you just hear three notes of and you're like, I know what it is. I see that a lot with Taylor Swift fans like they do a lot of trivia on TikTok where they will play the first literal three notes of a Taylor Swift song and they're like, oh my gosh, that's this or that's that, and you're like, how do they know that? But when you went dunt dunt dun like instantly we all went.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I think that that has a lot to do with the popularity of the song. You know, like it's been played so many times, you know, in this this.
Speaker 1: Many years that everybody knows the song.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's super catchy and also everybody recognized it, so it's it's impossible not to it truly is.
Speaker 2: It's one of those iconic songs, which is why Gloria and Emilio are icons to us. But how do you feel musically about Gloria Estefan and her career as a solo artist but also as a band member in the Miami Sound Machine.
Speaker 5: I think it's as I told you earlier, it's it's the smartest move. It's it was when I hear the especially the drums, you can you can feel it in the drums. It's a very uh, you know, traditional eighties sound of the pop music in that moment. But you can hear that in Balast, you can hear the congas, you can hear how the fusion was made. And I think it was, you know, very clever. And not only that, they did a lot of things. They did voletro, they did actually there's a song that they did by Yato, They had an accordion, They explored a lot of the lab in rhythms, and and they opened the door for all of us, you know, in the industry worldwide. And and I think that's we need to be thankful for them because it's you know, without them, it would be very difficult for us us to get in this industry right.
Speaker 3: Right here, So that being said, like right here, what does it mean or like what does it take to do a crossover? And is that something that do you see a lot of Latin artists doing that?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 5: I think there it's different times, right, you know, that type of music. It's it was from that moment right now, there's new fusions.
Speaker 1: You know what Bad Bonnie is doing.
Speaker 5: What other type of artists they they are inside the market.
Speaker 3: Right So actually that's kind of not even really a crossover, right because that's now. They're just kind of like Leleanna you were saying we were talking about just the other day, and it's like, that's just technically music now.
Speaker 5: Well, the thing is what I love about the music industry right now is like you don't have to be in one genre.
Speaker 1: You know, you can explore.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I see artists that they one day they release a reggaeton's song, then the other day they release a Mexicano and then you know a couple of months later they do pop and you know, Kumbia, Hey are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, is.
Speaker 1: One of them. Camillo is one of them.
Speaker 5: Camillo has done Bachat that has done Bob has done Cumbia. You know, it's like he's not afraid of doing and exploring different rhythms and genres. And I remember when I first started in this music industry, when I used to go to radio stations or stuff, they would ask me what's your genera, you know, what's what's your type of music? And I always went with Bata because I would used to do by Yinat at that moment with fusion, you know, fusion with pop.
Speaker 1: And a little bit of rock, and that was my genre.
Speaker 5: And I was like I realized that I don't need to be in only one genera. I can explore different ones. I'm a musician, you know, that's what I do. So why I don't want to get targeted, you know, in just one genre. And I think that's amazing that the industries is it's letting you do that right now.
Speaker 2: And you know, Jackie on that note, do you attribute the ease of moving cross genre to the way that audiences now hear and digest music? You know, when I was growing up in Texas in the eighties, the way I got my music was on the radio, right, And naturally radio stations have to have a genre because they have to find that audience. And so do you feel like the fact that you can access any kind of music as a listener literally on a handheld device in the palm of your hand, Like, do you think that's eliminating a lot of those barriers and boundaries that used to exist around genre of music? Like does it matter now?
Speaker 5: Oh no, definitely, definitely. It's a music industry right now. It's super fast. It's like it's quick like there, you release a song and you have two or three months minimum to release another one.
Speaker 1: It's super. You know, it goes so fast.
Speaker 5: There's so many songs releasing every day, it's crazy. So people have access to a lot of music, a lot of music. And and you know, if maybe you released reggaeton song and it didn't work, Okay, let's do bachata to see what happens, and maybe that one.
Speaker 3: And so do you already have these discs already lined up? Like I have these five songs that were going to kind of push. Are you like, wow, I was going to do bachata and these two songs didn't really hit.
Speaker 2: Could you then repackage it into bachata song and then see if you have any traction with that and then kind of follow the lead of the success or as a musician. Are you really doubling down on saying no, I am this kind of artist, right and I'm going to make this kind of music.
Speaker 5: Yes, you need to have in production like mixing or at least writing and producing the song. You know, many songs you never know, like there's always like a plan of releasing a song, you know, like like a work plan. So you know, like on February we're going to release this song, and on June this song and whatever. But I think It all depends on the on how the song goes. You know, if it's a if it's a hit, if it's something that people it's still consuming and it's working, you can extend the period of.
Speaker 1: Time a little bit more, right, you know, Okay, you know, like you can go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, juice it, bitch, juice it. I want to quickly go back because I think something that's interesting about you is, you know, you're from Brankia. You you've had success both in Latin America and the US. When Gloria and the Miami Sound Machine were first really getting traction, they were huge internationally before they were ever big in the United States. I think people think that they were just you know, they hit it big in the US and that was it. No, Like they used to play for like fifty thousand people in Cuba and then they would come back and play a wedding for two hundred people in Miami. So what is the difference would you say, of finding success in Latin America versus finding it in the United States, which is easier? Because I think people might assume, oh, it's a got to be easier in Latin America, but I don't think so. Which one do you think is easier. Is it easier to find success in Latin America or easier to find success in the States?
Speaker 1: Ooh, no, pressure. Wow, Well that's a great question. That's a great question.
Speaker 5: And I don't think nobody has the answer because the music it's it's I don't think anybody has the secret of success in music.
Speaker 1: Every case it's different, right.
Speaker 5: What I think is if you live in the US, whenever you go to Latin America, it's easier.
Speaker 1: Because you live you are considered an international artist.
Speaker 5: For example, when I used to live in Columbia, you know, I did a lot of stuff. I worked with the with Carlos Beave's band for two years. You know, I was doing great, But at the same time, I don't know, there was like a roof for me. I felt that. That's why I came to the US. And every time I go to perform or to do you know, recording sessions or whatever in Columbia, you know, people see you different and for some reason they respect you more.
Speaker 1: That's my opinion. Yeah, and maybe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe if you leave here and you go to the to Latin America, I think it's a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: You know, US market it's it's always you know, it's it's.
Speaker 5: Bigger, it's there's more competition, and obviously it's expensive. It's more expensive than that in America. So you know, with that point of view, I believe if you live here, yeah, it's I think it's a little bit easier, at least morney wise, to invest in Latin America.
Speaker 2: Interesting. I think taking it back to Gloria and Emilio, I think something that they've done is really make those avenues and that runway more accessible for Latin musicians. You know, when we think about Ricky Martin and we think about Shakida, you know, the Stephans were an integral part of their quote unquote crossover. Thankfully, I don't think we're going to need those crossovers going forward. We've seen, you know, artists like a Bad Bunny or like a Carol g really break down those barriers and do it on their own, on their own terms, without having to do an English version of a song. Like Bad Money hasn't done a song in English. He doesn't have to, right, But back in the nineties or in the early two thousands, Shakira did. She had to sing in English. So how do you think the Stephans, Like, why do you think it's been so important for them and their identity in the music industry to help other Latin artists.
Speaker 5: Well, it's it's very interesting what you said about about the language. And I think it's very interesting that right now you don't have to sing in English in order to to you know, make a hit globally. And and the reason for for that, I think it's that it's the rhythm. Like people nowadays, they they just want to dance. They just want to you know, anything and that comes and that comes with you know, and stuff like that. Like people they don't know what they are saying, and but they don't care. They just want to have danced. They just the beat and the and the rhythm. It's so contagious that they they don't care, you know, they just dance. And you see it like when you go to Europe, when you go to Turkey and they are listening to reggaetono or Latin music in the clubs.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. You never saw that before.
Speaker 5: But with the Stephans, the point that we are in right now, it's because of them, because they they sang in English right with Latin really crazy, so they introduced the Latin rhythms to other cultures, to other people in the US, in the in you know, worldwide. So that opened a path, a very huge path for for all Latin artists. So yeah, definitely they had all to do. They are fathers of the Latin music, for sure.
Speaker 2: They're patrinos the music nostalos exactly.
Speaker 3: Literally, hold on, I just have to change the subject because this is very who I am. So you live in Miami, have you been to Larios on the Beach where Tillarios on the Beach?
Speaker 1: Never been there?
Speaker 2: For those of you listening that are like, what the hell is Latios? You know, Joseph loves to eat. He loves loves some food, and he loves some Latin food. So if there is a restaurant that he knows about, he's going to ask you if he's been. It's Latios on the Beach. Is their restaurant that they opened? I think back in the nineties, maybe in the early two thousands. Have you ever been? And is what he wants to know? And will you take him there?
Speaker 1: You know, when I'm there, you have to take me there at least. But whenever you come, yo, let's go. Let's go. I'll take you to the place. Deal, deal, my friend.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to a few Gloria songs. There's a lot of really good ones as a musician, which is the most difficult of Gloria's songs to sing? And have you ever sang any of them?
Speaker 1: Wow? Okay, that's a very tricky question.
Speaker 2: Like you've never done a version of Mithierira anything from there?
Speaker 5: Well, I've done it, I've done it. But as a male singer, of course, depending on your vocal range, you could hit or not hit the notes, the higher notes, so it's very difficult for me to to answer that as a male singer.
Speaker 1: But definitely, I think any.
Speaker 5: Of the sounds from Miami Song Machine they are very well elaborated vocally, so but you know, they have boletos, they have the car, you know, you know, it all depends on the on the range.
Speaker 3: Hello, Okay, I'm never fucking singing again on this podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you, JK.
Speaker 3: You have ruined everything for me. I'm trying to get a fucking deal here and here you are releas singing. So I'm al goodbye leaving JK.
Speaker 2: Welcome to becoming an icon, your MYNY co host.
Speaker 1: I love it. That was amazing.
Speaker 2: That was amazing. Thank you for blessing our ears with that sound. Of course, now you were talking a little bit about the songs, and you know people always think of Gonga. I always go to the rhythm is Gonna get you, get on your feet, or even one of the ogs, which is doctor Bat. It's the campiest video I think ever made in the history of music videos. It's worth watch if you have not seen it. If you had to rank those four songs, Joseph, I'm gonna let you go first. So here are the songs, Gonga, doctor Beat, Rhythm is Gonna get you and get on your feet. Rank them like.
Speaker 3: Number one being my favorite, right m m yeah, okay, So I'm gonna say the rhythm is gonna get you number one, mm hmm, Gonga, number two, Doctor Beat, number three, Get on your Feet, number.
Speaker 2: Four, Wow, Okay, rhythm is gonna get you coming in at number one and strong For Joseph, JK, I'm gonna ask you the same question.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: Basically, I'm gonna go with the same order as Joseph, but I will change. I will switch Conga for Rhythm is gonna get you for sure. Conga's being conga being as the number one like it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to mix the whole thing up. Okay, I'm gonna go get on your feet number one, Wow, Okay, okay, Bung got two Okay, Rhythm is gonna get you three, doctor bat four, get on your feet. It's like I always think, anytime you can make the declaration and the call to action in the title of the song, that's a winner for me. There's no confusion there.
Speaker 1: Okay, It's just kind of like this is it all right? Now?
Speaker 2: Who's ready for a little trivia? I am okay, Joseph and JK. Are you guys ready to battle?
Speaker 1: We are ready?
Speaker 2: All right, guys, you're gonna have to buzz in just you know, raise your hand. Okay ready. How many albums has Glodia stuff unreleased during her entire career, including the ones with Miami Sound Machine. Is it ten, twenty or thirty?
Speaker 1: You go first, ak, I will go with twenty. Joseph, I'm going to say. Look, the reason I'm going to say thirty is.
Speaker 2: Because that's a hell a lot of albums. Thirty albums.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she's thing. I'm in English and in Spanish and in the Miami sound Machine, like.
Speaker 2: There was a Christmas album of Yeah, just a lot.
Speaker 1: I would have even said more if there's another number.
Speaker 2: There's not another option. The final answer is thirty for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thirty. I would say thirty.
Speaker 2: You're right, thirty albums during her entire career.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I believe that also because JK I've been also studying her for a while.
Speaker 1: So oh man, that's cheating. Well, that's good. I know. I feel bad. I feel bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many Grammys has Gloria Stephan one, seven, eight, or ten?
Speaker 1: Eight? Grammys? For sure? I would say three.
Speaker 2: That's not even an option.
Speaker 1: Wait, did you give the numbers?
Speaker 3: I wasn't even actually listening because I was thinking of how many Grammars you actually won?
Speaker 2: Seven, eight, and ten? JK says eight. Joseph says three. The right answer is seven. You're very close. JK. How did you know that? Because you're a musician, he knows?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, I knew I know something.
Speaker 2: From Which American football team is Gloria Stefan a co owner? This is not a fair question.
Speaker 1: Okay, name the teams and we'll get this.
Speaker 2: The San Antonio Chargers, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 1: The Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Beat you to the buzzer?
Speaker 4: Fine?
Speaker 2: From which prestigious university did Gloria Estefan receive a music honorary doctorate? Is it Berkeley, University of Miami or Columbia.
Speaker 1: University of Miami. Yeah, same University of Miami. Duh, she lives there.
Speaker 2: JK.
Speaker 1: Yeah, University of Miami.
Speaker 2: Of course you guys, Berkeley one of the most incredible music schools in the world.
Speaker 1: Of course. Of course you did the Songwriter.
Speaker 2: Hall of Fame, first female, first let the Let's go Yeah, okay. Last question, do you guys know the name of the song that Gloria is Stefan saying to the Pope John Paul the Second in nineteen ninety five? Was it fres gotas, the Agua Bendita or Masaya?
Speaker 3: You're gonna hate me because I've never heard any of these, so I don't know which one to pick.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say just because it sounds holy, I would say Masaya. JK.
Speaker 2: I think you won the Gloria is Stefan Trivia Challenge, which means that you get to take us to your favorite Cuban restaurant. What is your favorite Cuban restaurant by the.
Speaker 5: Way, Oh, that's tricky. That's there's a lot. Well, there's some, there's some. There's a restaurant super it's super traditional called Versaiyes.
Speaker 2: It's see, I've been there.
Speaker 5: It's not Versas. Yeah, that's a very traditional and yeah, it's a mostco like there's always spoke, there's lines.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, are they your sponsor? I'm onto you, JK. I wish, I mean they should. I love going there hopefully.
Speaker 2: Now okay, J Before we let you go, we want to know, as a musician, what do you think the future holds for Gloria and Emilio. What do you want to see from them?
Speaker 5: I think they're going to keep being the foundation of music in the US and in the world. And I think they are going to keep helping a lot of new talent, and I mean, I hope, and they've been doing that, and I think they're that's their passion and they're going to do it until they die.
Speaker 2: I love it. I think you're right. I think foundational is a great way to describe who they are, not just as musicians obviously, but who they are as industry icons. So JK. Thank you so much for being here, and you guys, don't forget. His new single, El Primero nos Alvilla is coming out later this month, and we've loved have you. Thank you for sharing your insight.
Speaker 1: Oh and I almost forgot. I'm gonna sing you a little bit of that.
Speaker 2: Be all right, let's do it.
Speaker 1: I happen to have my guitar here. It's maybe a coincidence. Shut your but I'm ready.
Speaker 2: You're all ears. Let me turn up this volume.
Speaker 4: Mahino he least no jespiez your solo second, he says, Santos the temple be beast.
Speaker 2: Stallos bass gatty.
Speaker 1: What's your cash?
Speaker 4: Requeredo you feeling giddy? Dunfelli con quindela manu coming now? Can they see a Sunday.
Speaker 1: See not de quy a.
Speaker 4: Del don't know his mask how gatto weella young kitt is.
Speaker 1: Way lion style.
Speaker 4: Ye Lord, you feel primeero your primero no.
Speaker 1: So see noting quy as.
Speaker 4: The don't know his mass hound kettle weella young kittd Way line and style your loudvida.
Speaker 1: You feel premmeto here premeto no so.
Speaker 2: No so.
Speaker 1: No sonya Wow wow, bitch, I'm shuk damn JK. I'm not crying, Liliana, you're crying. That was really good.
Speaker 3: And you know what, I'm going through a heartbreak for like five hundred years now because I'm in love with this guy who's.
Speaker 1: In love with me. And it was so good.
Speaker 2: That was beautiful.
Speaker 1: It really was beautiful. Let me ask you something. Is it true that it'll pretty man almost to be there?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'd like to forget FuG for real, but like, no, you just don't.
Speaker 1: Don't.
Speaker 2: Don't you don't, but.
Speaker 1: Like it doesn't.
Speaker 3: It's not even like the first like first love, you know, it's like your first real fucking love, not like high school whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like your first love, like oh no, the.
Speaker 5: Thing forget the thing with this with this song and the you know, the message is like it'll depends on how you take it, Like it could be your first high school love, it could be your actually greatest love.
Speaker 1: You could take it in your own personal history, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I think that's what's so beautiful about that song, and I think that's what people connect with with music, is like the interpretation is yours and yours alone, right, The artist writes it from their point of view, but how you interpret it well, that that fully belongs to you. That's on you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I love that. So we are so grateful for you and for sharing that beautiful song with us. And we're so excited that everyone listening can also get that song as well. So thank you again for being here, you guys, and let us know what you think. All right, I want to know, he asked the question, El primeo no sel vida.
Speaker 1: I need to know the answer as well. JK.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being here, and you guys, don't forget His new single, El Primeroo Nolvilla is coming out later this month.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you for being here, guys. It's been a pleasure. It's been amazing. I had a great time with you.
Speaker 2: Next on Becoming an Icon, join us as we discuss all of our.
Speaker 1: Icons, all our seasons, best.
Speaker 2: With the one and only, the mas Meyer. Becoming an Icon is presented by Sonoo and Iheart's Michael Guda podcast network. Listen to Becoming an Icon on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcast