Speaker 1: Weight loss solutions are not one size fits all. Hers makes it simpler to get started and stick with a weight loss plan backed by expert guided online care that puts your weight loss goals first. These include oral medication kits or compounded GLP one injections through Hers. Pricing for oral medication kits start at just sixty nine dollars a month for a ten month plan when paid in full up front. No hidden fees, no membership fees. You shouldn't have to go out of your way to feel like yourself. Hers brings expert care straight to you with one hundred percent online access to personalized treatment plans that puts your goals first. Reach your weight loss goals with help through Hers. Get started at for hers dot com slash for you to access affordable, doctor trusted weight loss plans. That's for hers dot com slash for you. F O r h ers dot com slash for you paid for by hymns and Hers Health. Weight Loss by Hers is not available everywhere. Compounded products are not FDA approved or verified for safety, effectiveness, or quality. Prescription required restrictions at for hers dot com.
Speaker 2: Apply right God Welcome Back, Episode twenty three, twenty.
Speaker 3: Three Jordan's Yes, we in the zone, like the only two three Jordan or Jan Old Joe.
Speaker 4: So my mother would tell me, don't don't put on twenty three, as you would say, don't know what you wear that number anymore?
Speaker 5: Say tired.
Speaker 6: That's what my mother says about the Juny three twenty three to Jordan.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, man, First and foremost, thank you guys for your support. You know, it's been it's been a tremendous journey. It's crazy, only twenty three weeks and it's like it feels like we've been doing this like five years.
Speaker 5: Everybody asked, it's the same thing. This has only been six months. Yeah, I haven't been doing this forever. That's a fact.
Speaker 6: This is a fact.
Speaker 5: Twenty three episodes a great platform.
Speaker 6: I appreciate youall having Nah, thank you, thank you. So yeah.
Speaker 2: Today is a very extremely special episode. We actually was planning on speaking about a few things, but then we had like an hour long conversation that kind of shifted the conversation. I think we're going we got this is this is gonna be a good one. So O May and Chris Gotti, if you're not familiar, so Murder inc Ran the music industry in the early two thousand when I was in prep school in high school, I couldn't turn on MTV of BT without Jaul shan t like it was crazy.
Speaker 5: They destroyed it.
Speaker 2: So so yeah, so you might know obviously Jaul, but Chris Gotti was one of the founding members.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me and my brother, you know IRV Gotti boy, So this is Irv's baby.
Speaker 5: I'm the uncle to Murder.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so heavy in the music business. But we're gonna talk about a lot of other things outside of music, just business in general, because obviously this is a business podcast, so we want to quip you guys with all of the different.
Speaker 6: Tools that you need.
Speaker 2: So before we start, I want to tell a story how we actually met because networking is powerful, right, that's.
Speaker 5: Right, relationships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Chris, he does a lot of different things, right, He was a music exact, he ran a construction company, really invests in real estate. And another thing that he does is he's in the financial services industry. So anybody that listens to the podcast, you know my financial advisor. So long story short, we got introduced through a mutual colleague and he's like you ever heard of Chris Gotti. I'm like, yeah, of course he's I think you guys should be I might be able to work together. So we were I don't even know if you remember this, but I have like an impeccable memory. So we were in LA at Greystone, right, a nice club, Greystone fact, that's crazy, that's crazy. So we was in Graystone, me my man Mike, Mike was Scutt and so another one of our friends, DJ suss One.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're from the same area.
Speaker 2: So sus was DJing that night, and so we were in like the v I P area, right, So Chris was there, and I introduced myself to Chris.
Speaker 6: I'm telling him, He's like, yeah, cool.
Speaker 2: So we exchanged numbers and then when we got back to New York, we actually met in the office and just a super humble dude, Like you can kind of just tell somebody's energy when you meet him. And that's the first thing that I, I, you know, I noticed, is that it just real humble and just you know, just you could kind of feel like that energy of just organic and just just a good dude. So but that night was crazy though, because Rihanna was definitely there. I remember, and should.
Speaker 6: I tell that story.
Speaker 5: Tell this is a real one. So so my man Mike, my man.
Speaker 2: Mike is there and I'm telling him. Club's closed at like two o'clock. In LA, they'll close early. So we're from the New York. Club's closed like four thirty, right four, So it's like one thirty. The club is about to close, and the VIP section is like real small. So we're in there. We're right next to Chris and like three feet away, I see Rihanna comes with her people. So I'm like yo, I'm like yo, Mike, that's Rihanna right there. He's like, let's not Rihanna. I'm looking right at her like that, I see Rihanna, she's right there.
Speaker 5: Facts.
Speaker 6: So so he told he told Sus.
Speaker 2: So Sus obviously knows that. So Sus walks up to it. Like so he's in Suss like the introduced me to Rihanna. It's us kind of like ignored him. So Sus talked to her. So Mike tell me like, yo, get your camera ready. I'm like, no, don't do that.
Speaker 5: Don't do it, bro, do it.
Speaker 6: Don't do it, brother, I get your camera.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: So he walked up to her and I'm staying like five people because I don't want to keep and he's like, yo, he starts saying, He's like, you know, I get a picture, and you know the way she looked at was so so violently disrespectful.
Speaker 5: It's the island girl that maybe.
Speaker 6: The picture never got took for.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Rihanna, shout out to shout she's doing big.
Speaker 6: She's blowing up right now. I think millions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, don't worry about the music. Fenty is going to take it out of this world. Shout out. Shout out to.
Speaker 4: Jay Brown too. That's where it helps. Yeah, definitely, incredible moves they make.
Speaker 2: So all right, so we're gonna jump right into it. So, like I said, my man Chris Ran, they murder ain't random. I can't really if you're not old enough to fully understand, it's half for me to actually say how big that they were. But you were telling me before, like you had like a number one song on the radio or something like that for like twenty weeks.
Speaker 5: Not No, it's not just one song. It was multiple songs.
Speaker 4: So you know, a lot of the misconceptions they just think it was murder ink. But the reality IRV as a producer who was one of the Biggs producers, if not the biggest at that time, and we produced for everybody the industry. We literally produced for the industry. IRV was looked at it as the fixer. So if you wasn't selling records, we called IRV gotti, let me get a single or something, and next thing you know, you sold some records. So we was I believe it's forty eight weeks out of fifty two weeks at number one with multiple.
Speaker 2: Artists outside what you said, forty eight weeks out of fifty two weeks in a.
Speaker 5: Year, that's a different type of run.
Speaker 6: Murder ain't had a song.
Speaker 4: Imagine, imagine you do that, like you could understand how powerful we were, or just from that saying that, like every record exect, every label wanted to do business with you because you was that hot. You're on the Billboard charts every week and it's your music, your sound, like man, it was. It was a great time. Thirty million more than that now but yeah, you know who's counting, so yeah, so all right, but over forty million. But before the music industry started, you actually you ran a construction company.
Speaker 2: Yes, so can we talk about that, because that to me was real interesting where you told me that you were a millionaire before you got into music.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was me and my sister Tina.
Speaker 4: You know, we found a general contractor actually did demolition, and we wanted to do all of the building side of it, not the demo part, and cut a deal Ken Frolick Gateway Demolition. That was the name of the company that's still existing. They are still out there. And he cut a deal and we was able to bond these jobs. So if you didn't understand what I mean why you need to be bonded because you have to have the money for the job in case something goes wrong. So if the job is five million dollars, you had to have five million dollars you know, to cover that job or a bond they would covered for you. And had to have the you know, all the assets that you might need to acquire the bond for you. And we didn't have it at the time, and you know, cut the deal and we went on a nice little run with construction.
Speaker 3: While you were doing a construction though, right, So you're you learned a bunch of trades, right, and pretty much did everything everything.
Speaker 4: I tell I like to tell everyone, I built everything, but a bridge, right, think about that. I built high rises, buildings, I did streets, you know, the roads and highways, parks. I mean, there's nothing I really didn't do from a construction standpoint. And we did the concrete side, which is so if you think of a from a dollar standpoint, if if there was a job to build a building, the biggest part of that job is the concrete, right, That's the foundation, that's all the walls, that's everything going up the floors. And that's what we did as a black owned company. It was crazy, all self taught, all self taught, and everything self taught because you all right, so you still didn't go to school. So that's a big deal for me, Like I always throw that out there because I let everyone know you could do it right. You don't have to go to school to learn. You could learn on your own, but you got to have the will to learn.
Speaker 2: And I did definitely have to be glad you said that because we actually had an episode we talked about college, and more and more people are saying, like, it's college worth it, right, So we're not discourage anybody from going to college, but there are ways to be successful if you don't go to college.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: So you okay, but college helps, right, So let me answer that.
Speaker 5: Does college help? Do you agree that college helps?
Speaker 2: It depends on the I think it can help. It can help, It has the potential to help.
Speaker 4: You know, when I think of myself, I don't think. I don't look at myself as typical average, right, I think and only because of I knew my drive. When I watch these other people, everyone doesn't have the same passion and devotion.
Speaker 5: You know, dedication to do these things.
Speaker 4: So education is something to fall back on that could at least get you into a stability from a lifestyle, right. You know if you ask me, you know, people talk to me all the time about that, and I'm like, I didn't know what the hell I was gonna do. I had no clue. I filled out to be a sanitation transit police.
Speaker 6: But no, no, but this is real.
Speaker 2: This is these are real jobs, like especially like in our community, Like a sanitation job is like hitting a lottery right, Like.
Speaker 5: Well, when you didn't go to school, this is what you did exactly.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad you said that because it's like, Okay, you became a construction worker, right, but then.
Speaker 5: A laborer at seven thirty one Local seven thirty.
Speaker 2: You could have just called it a quits at that, right, But what made you say, Okay, I learned construction from working construction and turn it into a business.
Speaker 4: I actually, at a very young age, I looked at it as it's the trades.
Speaker 5: I talked to other laborers.
Speaker 4: And they was millionaires from being a laborer because that annuity that they had they worked, yes they worked twenty plus years, but they had an annuity in their union that was over a million dollars. So I'm sitting there like, damn, you could do this. You gotta shovel, that's all you gotta know. You have over a million dollars waiting or you could access whenever you want. And that was very intriguing to me. And it was from a trade standpoint. So all I did was say, let me learn these trades, and it's something that they could never take away from you. I always had a chip on my shoulder cause I didn't go to school. I'm five years in high school, Okay, So not because I didn't wasn't smartest because I didn't go. I wasn't showing up. I just wouldn't go.
Speaker 5: But I go in take a test, get seventy five, eighty five, and be out. It's just who I was.
Speaker 4: And it's like I always look at education is damn what if I did do it? Or Okay, I don't have it, what am I gonna do? Like what do I have to fall back on? Like if I got to support myself, my family, whatever it may be, without an education to go get a job, because when you really start going to get a job, you realize they don't want you unless you have that piece of paper or you have something behind you. Like you go out just looking for jobs to pay for your life. There's only a few things that I looked at that you could actually make a really good living without the education. Again, when you talk about police, you could do that with those jobs.
Speaker 6: Like a plumber.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but a trade. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's one of the things we stress too, is like everybody's not going to go to college.
Speaker 5: We know that got to it's not for everybody.
Speaker 3: So it wasn't for me teaching kids trades that they can still have a successful life with. And that's the thing that they don't show them. Man, like go to college, go to college, get a four year degree. I'm an education so like, yeah, that's a big proponent of it. I'm like, like, I know kids that coming out of high school, they're not going to college, so we got to prepare them for other things like construction could be something like where we're from, like we said, sanitation.
Speaker 5: Is huge and look, everything insane.
Speaker 4: It resonates with me so strongly because I always wanted to empower my people, always talk to my block, telling the kids what they should do don't do. And when you think about from a work standpoint, again that construction, it was.
Speaker 5: A very good job for something you don't own.
Speaker 4: From talking from a nine to five standpoint, you made a very good wage and you could really grow it if you want to, like we did. And that's what I did, and again I recommend it still to this day because you cannot take that skill set away. Someone has to build these homes, someone has to build the roads, the highways, and they get paid a very well, very good wage.
Speaker 6: But so you.
Speaker 2: But but you was entrepreneurial enough to see the flip side of the coin where it is a good job to get paid, but the owner always makes more an employee. No matter what business it is, NBA construction, the owners always going to make more risks.
Speaker 5: As the owner, you have the risk, you should get the reward.
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 5: It's that simple.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm for all the NBA players making as much money, but the risk still lies with the owner, right.
Speaker 2: So so because you had to start, I just thought about this. You did a family business twice. You did a family business with your sister. I think you did a family business with your brother, right, So we talk about that as well as far, especially in our community. We don't understand the power of a working together enough, but also the power of family businesses.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: It's something that you.
Speaker 5: Know, they say it's the hardest thing to do. Work with family, Work with family, you know what. I think that is very difficult. So I work, I work with my family. I'm blessed. I think.
Speaker 2: I think it depends on your family, right because I mean, if you have a good relationship, If Jory that's my that's my brother, we work together, it's no problem. But if we have a bad relationship, then the business.
Speaker 5: Is going to be bad. Took a different I think I think just want of you hear on this mic studio said that.
Speaker 6: Let me actu you construction.
Speaker 2: So because a lot of listeners everybody's not able to make it the music, right, that's a fact, even though a lot of people do want to make the music. But anybody can be a carpenter, a construction worker, a plumber, and anybody can own their own company.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: So for somebody that's a construction worker or just interested in being an entrepreneur, how did you how did you get your own company? As far as the constructuse there's a lot that goes into it, as far as in New York.
Speaker 4: City, and we wasn't doing like homes, like a local construction company. I didn't start off there. I started write off with city jobs which you had to bid on and becoming honestly, that's my sister Teama worked in the office of a company called Prew.
Speaker 5: Construction, and she learned how the bids got put together.
Speaker 4: She didn't know how many men it would take or how to actually build the wall, but she knew exactly how many screws pieces of rebard that went in the wall, which is how you got to the formula to make the bid. And then she also knew how which is to me, the hardest part of the business to collect to know how to do all the paperwork to get to the city offices to make sure they pay you when you finish a portion of the job, because you got paid portion. And one day she just asked me, can you put up a wall? And how many men do you need? And I answered her and she was like, let's.
Speaker 5: Start her own company.
Speaker 3: And the audible thing is that you didn't just look for anybody to hire, like, no, I.
Speaker 5: Wasn't the community.
Speaker 4: I went back to my people again and educate them, taught them to trades, but they have to want it, Like I can't give you that. You have to want it they give you a job. I had to fire a lot of guys too, you know, because they wasn't working. This is business, so if you're not working, I got someone else. And then you started realizing different differences, like an older guy that might have kids is way more reliable than that young guy that's ready to go party every night. You know, you didn't think about those things at that moment. Now you started looking at that. And I would give the older guy the job before because I knew he had to feed his family. I would do things like that. But I really had an incredible crew of an array of different people. I had just two Italians, but the rest was all black or Spanish guys.
Speaker 6: That were.
Speaker 5: We was over forty two employees we had.
Speaker 2: So how do you scale, like, because I mean, I guess that's a lot of money to start a construction company, Like, how do you scale?
Speaker 4: Well, okay, so we was blessed right and we were smart enough to get that deal done, which was the fifty to fifty deal where they put up the bond for the job, we have to bid the job, and we won the first job. It was a Queen's Queen's colding park in Queens. It was a job for about a million dollars. It was about eight nine hundred thousand and some change and we bid the job.
Speaker 5: Want it.
Speaker 4: So now we're funded because now we went to our partner who's fifty to fifty partners on all the profit, Ken Frolick, and we said we need this to start, and we got funded and that's how we started. And then after that we just started rolling it over.
Speaker 5: Effect. Yeah, it just started rolling over. But you had to watch your money. You know. Again, your typical profit.
Speaker 4: Margins in the construction world is anywhere between twenty to thirty thirty percent, So you know, you're talking about making one hundred and eighty grand on that nine hundred thousand. That's money that we never seen at that like in one lump. But the problem was we had to partner up with Kenny, so he's getting ninety of it, we're getting ninety of it. And then we had to keep going. So it got really hairy. But again, you know jay Z said it, but we all say we never stopped. You know, that was the genius part, right, We didn't quit. We just kept going, and we kind of got to a point where now, yeah, we had a lot of money that was old, but we're making a lot of money also, and it kind of started going and going.
Speaker 6: So how long did it take to go from you and your sister to forty employees?
Speaker 5: H that was six years?
Speaker 6: Six years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so at that time, at the height of this, right, how much are we bringing it?
Speaker 4: In the height our biggest job was forty almost forty million dollars and again we was making a little bit more than twenty five percent on the money.
Speaker 5: So your millionaires. Yeah, this is this is in construction thirteen and my sister was the first.
Speaker 4: She was money bags. TEENA was the money bags. You were thirty one you told me. Yeah, I was in my I just got into my thirties when and then IRV, So that transition was right there in that timeframe is.
Speaker 5: After Mike Groanimo. This is during Mike Geronimo and we're still going mid nineties. Yeah, mid nineties, so people might not know who Mike Geronimo.
Speaker 4: Blunt Records, TVT Blunt Records another you know label that we started.
Speaker 5: Before Murdering go YouTube, that independent Mike Geronimo. You know, we started that and put him out.
Speaker 4: We had cash money click over there, you got uh pit Bull, We had Little John so you have Royal Flush. These were all the artists that was on this little independent label that we started moving with.
Speaker 2: So all right, So okay, so now we're gonna go into the music side, because your your life story is pretty interesting. Where you you make You become a millionaire at thirty one? Yeah, construction got a nice thing on forty employees and you you give it up.
Speaker 5: I didn't give it right up.
Speaker 4: Okay again this goes back to education too, right, So I didn't give it right up.
Speaker 5: We did.
Speaker 4: I did both because music was at night. IRV was like, yo, he's growing, he needs help. Come back because I started the music with her. I was managing him and he had a group he was in and we was doing a bunch of we wasn't making money. So now he's making money after the mic g and then he gets into death Jam and he's like, yo, come run his production company top Dog Productions, not not uh top Dog with.
Speaker 5: TV, not Kendrick.
Speaker 4: He was first, you know what I'm saying, top Dog Productions, and IRV just wanted to be the biggest and best producer in the game.
Speaker 5: And basically he's like, come run that and sell beats.
Speaker 4: He had one producer, Little Rob, and I took a Little Rob and sold every beat he would have. But Little Rob wasn't a volume beat producer, like he would make just a few. So but everything he made was fire. I get it off. So I said, we got a problem. We have an inventory problem.
Speaker 5: I need more. So he's like, what are we gonna do?
Speaker 4: I said, I'm gonna go hire producers, Okay, and that's what I did.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: So that leads us into segment two about the music business. So we did the backstory, but now we're on going to the music side, which you're probably most famous for what people know you for the most all. Right, So you start off selling earth Okay, So your brother V becomes a producer, yes, and he's selling beats. Yes, and he recruits you to help sell the beats for her, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He told me come run Top Dog Productions from manage it and run it, you know. And that's what I did, And I believe I did an incredible job.
Speaker 5: When you start at that time, how much of beat's going for He was making.
Speaker 4: Five thousand when I first started at Top Dog, So you know we were selling to like the lower tier artist five thousand songs.
Speaker 6: And you scaled that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I scaled it. I wrapped that up.
Speaker 4: Here's why I'm making money from construction, and I'm burning it at both ends.
Speaker 5: So I'm going to the studio at nights, construction in the daytime.
Speaker 6: You're still doing it. Construction still doing it.
Speaker 4: When I first go over, I couldn't just stop because it's it's a business, it's financially and I did it for about a year and a half, two ends, burning at both ends before I said I can't do it no more. But I took him from five thousand and fifty thousand and six months.
Speaker 5: And then little Rob.
Speaker 4: Who's the producer. He was our main producer at the time. Again, he would make just enough beats, not a lot. I didn't have extra inventory. I always like to talk to it, talk to you people in the music industry, just like his business, because it is. I don't want to treat it like it's just beats. No, this was our inventory. The beats is our inventory, and we didn't have anymore. I sell it out. How can I make money? So then I went in and started assembling that production team and I found some incredible producers. Chinck Santana, you know what I'm saying. Monster from DC, I bought his first beat for I asked him. It was a great story because I asked him. I said, he's in my office and I brought him because Pop, this other artist from DC came in and I was like, who's the beats of those? And he was like, oh, it's Chink. So I said, next time you come back, bring him. So he brings them and we're going through music and I said, you ever sold a beat?
Speaker 5: He said, no, Joe, you know that all that Joe? Well that DC. No Joe.
Speaker 4: I said, okay, so how much would you want for a beat. He's looking He's like, I don't even know Joe. He's like, I was like, what do you think? He's like five hundred dollars. I said, I'm gonna tell you what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna buy that first beat from you for seventy five hundred, and I cut a check for the first half. I said, when I sell it, because I don't have a home for it, I'll give.
Speaker 5: You the other half. I said, thirty seven fifty. Win gave him a check that day, thirty seven to fifty. He looked at me. He going crazy. Hey, Joe, I never saw you know. He was going crazy.
Speaker 3: Because you could have been like y'all had five hundred soul. I wouldn't do that because I know what our value is. So, I mean, I didn't want I wanted to keep him in the same neighborhood. But again I'm like, here you go. And then I said, but I want to sign you to the top Dog.
Speaker 5: He said.
Speaker 4: He looked at the chack. He was basically like, whatever you want to do. He said, you could do this for me. I said, yeah, I could do this for you, and sure enough, when he came in, it really changed everything because he was a volume.
Speaker 5: He made a lot of inventory. So where y'all had death Jam when y'all got him or.
Speaker 4: No was was an A and R. A death jam was an an R a death jam. So that's what so basically think about it from that standpoint. I'm making music as a producer and I have all this music and we're inside of a system, which is death Cham service. Yeah, so we just started serving beats. And then once you do one, the industry a following industry. Just like everything else. We make a hat, a hot hat, everyone makes that hat with their logo on it.
Speaker 5: So music's no different.
Speaker 4: You make a hot beat and everyone wants a beat, just like that record you just did. So we started getting calls from not just Depth Jam but every record label. But I got a service on. I need inventory, so I started hiring more beats like a.
Speaker 5: Red you know DL.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, fingers styles and we man went on a run and we went from five thousand.
Speaker 5: I just started pushing the tracks the money.
Speaker 4: I remember to day, I'll give you a good story. Electro Records ODB, they want beats for ODIB. Sylvia Rohn was running Electro Records. She calls me to come in and talk to hers. I said, I want to sell some beats to ODIB. She said, all right, I do four. How much? At the time, we was only getting twenty thousand a track And I said, forty thousand the track and she said, no to check.
Speaker 5: I'll cut the check and get it to you.
Speaker 4: So that's first half is eighty thousand. So I'm happy. I just doubled our value. I'm like great, I go yo, I sold four beasts to odb IRBs like how much?
Speaker 5: You know? IRV is always about the bottom line? How much? And I was like, I show him the check and he goes crazy. That's all. That's how. That's how a price. We ain't going no long, I said, I know, I got you. Yeah, forty thousands of track.
Speaker 4: But we went from forty to fifty to seventy five to one hundred in less than a year.
Speaker 6: What's the highest you got up to two hundred and.
Speaker 4: Fifty thousand a song? And we was taking six points on each song. Okay, so a single, if you make one single, there's ten points on that single. Five points goes to the producer, five points goes to the writer, we was taking six, which means the writer of the record had to give us an extra point from their side, from their share.
Speaker 5: It's one hundred points for total now for an album one album, right.
Speaker 3: And that's just because of the track work that y'all have. Yeah, because you want work. We know what'll we know what y'all bringing.
Speaker 4: Well, you know it's just being aggressive, you know what, that's the key. You know, when you're hot in music, you could get very aggressive. I was very aggressive and IRV is super aggressive. So you know when I say that is because he's pushing me, like go more and more, and that's what we just kept pushing it up.
Speaker 2: This is interesting because even outside of music, people struggle with this all the time.
Speaker 6: How how much do you charge for your services?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: There's something especially entrepreneurs, they struggle with this all the time.
Speaker 5: Know your value or your worth?
Speaker 2: And I heard Gary V say something before where he was like, if people aren't telling you no, you're too cheap, like you gotta so how do you It's a thin line, right, just general advice, business and wits. How do you know.
Speaker 5: What to charge?
Speaker 6: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like, how do you say, Okay, I'm gonna go from twenty dollars art. Okay, if it's all based on success, you can't charge two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and you're giving trash away and the records don't do anything for the label or the artist. But when you see the result, right, Okay, we could talk now.
Speaker 4: Because I know how much you generated, you put I know what my record generated for your artists and what that means to your label, and that's how we equate value, right.
Speaker 5: And again, don't get it confused.
Speaker 4: The money we was talking the two hundred and fifty thousand isn't advanced.
Speaker 5: We didn't make an extra dollar.
Speaker 4: If we took zero, we still make that two hundred and fifty gets paid faster. That's all. It's the same exact amount of money we generated for every record. Do you understand? But it's like, can you break that down?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 4: So if a record generates a million dollars, okay, and we was advanced two hundred and fifty thousand, we only getting seven hundred and fifty thousand or for the million, that's all. It's an advance as simple as that. You do not make an extra dollar because you was advanced.
Speaker 5: But where the record flops.
Speaker 4: Okay, whatever the record makes, that's where the risk and that's why we took and that's why you took in advance as.
Speaker 5: A producer, right, So as a producer, you know you.
Speaker 4: Understood the value of that music if it's successful in their track record, you know, potentially being why that record is gonna be successful for an artist you have.
Speaker 5: No equity interest in.
Speaker 4: But you say, hey, advance me this type of advance on that money two hundred and fifty thousand, because you're gonna make millions of dollars and you could. Again, they don't lose any extra Money's all I'm saying. It's just an advance, is all it is. It's an advance on the future earnings of that record record, That's all it is. So again, doctor D was getting two hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 6: Getting a million.
Speaker 2: Somebody who's the highest peg I heard.
Speaker 4: And I know I know for a fact Rodney Jerkins. Okay, when he was when he was producing for Michael Jackson was getting paid a lot of He's getting paid millions of dollars, but there's no return. Michael basically was owning the record, right, so his he was paying in advance on all his publishing and everything. Because it's Michael Jackson. He's gonna sell fifty records. That record is gonna be worth well more than what he paid you. But Rodney was really getting paid at that time. Man, he was out in Jersey killing. Shout out to Rodney Jerseys legend. It's all right, So all right, so you guys have a team of producers. Yeah, and you're tearing the game up right, Yes, but then you transition into a label, right.
Speaker 5: Yes, with that by design?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember you telling me when we was in the studio that, like even DMX, right, like you originally your brother brought DMX.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he brought depth Jam.
Speaker 4: But just think when you mentioned Blunt Records earlier, he brought him the Blunt Records.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: DMX could easily have been signed to Blunt Records, but we didn't do the deal because we didn't think Blunt had enough power as an independent to move the product the way he needed to be more.
Speaker 3: Because I remember the original Murder Inc. Being not a label but being a group with jay Z, d MX and jo Rule.
Speaker 4: Right, that's Irv's original concept what he wanted to do. He thought they was absolutely the best. People don't realize that Jay z DMX. But the one they don't realize is joh Rule was a battle rapper. We used to battle Rule against everybody. So IRV just felt he had the most talented artists at that time and wanted to create this supergroup called murder Ring.
Speaker 3: I had that double Excel cover was on my wall for at least five years. You know, we was this close to so they had to handle They had the bad.
Speaker 5: That was a great cover.
Speaker 4: You see their face, but in the back of the cover of that, you see the bats the change.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, right, you guys, you didn't go to college, right, No, you had a background in business because you had a construction company, so you understood business on that.
Speaker 5: Didn't go to school either, So but how do you all, right, how do you start?
Speaker 2: You started a record label, but you don't know anything about how to run a business?
Speaker 5: On you do? But no, no, no, no, I have no clue.
Speaker 6: How do you figure that out?
Speaker 5: How to run?
Speaker 6: How do you?
Speaker 4: Just like I did in construction sit with lawyers, I asked a ton of questions, you know, I you know, don't be afraid to ask or think you something stupid.
Speaker 5: You're gonna learn, but you learned the hard way to write.
Speaker 4: You know, your best education is because you lose, right, I don't get. We lost a ton of money because of lawyers that took advantage that you're thinking they're doing the right deal for you, and they're not lawyers. I fired all of the best lawyers you could think of it.
Speaker 5: They all worked for me. I fired them all. They're all in.
Speaker 4: Bed with the labels. You gotta see, we didn't know that. These are all the things you learned in hindsight, you know. But they're all in bed with the label.
Speaker 5: So how can I get what I want from the label?
Speaker 4: And they're busy giving up all the information to the label and blocking me every chance I get. And uh, that's what happened. My best deals happened because I hired. I took the Sugar Sugar Night route, irving myself. We discussed and decided we want the Sugar Knight rowdies. One lawyer only works for you, nobody else.
Speaker 6: You are his only client.
Speaker 4: Ron Sweeney took him from Sony Ron Sweeney and Brian Robinson a salary in points or profit.
Speaker 5: Okay, which is way more than what he was getting.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of what but it's way cheaper for us, how about that? Yeah, No, it's becacause we get better deals. Now, Yeah, you understand what I'm saying. You gotta give up something to get.
Speaker 6: Something, and you gotta spend money to make money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people, I said, I'm glad you brought that up, because people do all the time in business where they they skim on important right, Yeah, and that's something that's important, right, So you want to spend money on something that's important, because, like you said, you spent more money on an in house lawyer, but it saved you a lot of money.
Speaker 4: So I just had this conversation last night in the studio with someone that wants me to be their consultant. And the first question I asked him was why would you pay me to be a consultant? What's your reason? I want to hear your reason. He didn't have an answer. He didn't even know. He's like, I know you know the business, But I said, what's the reasons? Yeah, there's a lot of people to know the business. Why do you want me? Why do you want someone to consult you? What's the reason why? And I said, if you're not understanding that you're not thinking properly. Like the reason you pay consultant is to save money because you won't make a mistake that you might cost you a lot of money. And that's basically what the reason that we went with Ron Swiney. He was he was the head of business affairs for Sony Music, which means he was the head attorney for every business deal at Sony, which means he knows where all the bones is buried, you understand. He knows how all the contracts, where they jerk you, where the money is That he when he came in, And same with Brian Robinson. Brian Robinson was over Universal and we took him. So we had those two as our only terms. They couldn't work for no one else, They only could work for us, and they got points on the profits all right.
Speaker 2: So we realized that, you know a lot of people might not know what you went through, right, So it's.
Speaker 5: A business could Also a good thing.
Speaker 2: About the story too for the podcast is that we like to paint the real picture of business.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: It's never all good in business. So you guys experienced.
Speaker 7: And the decisions you have to make in business, you guys experienced the top of the top where you was on top of the world selling beat for two point fifty he was on the number one on for forty eight weeks.
Speaker 6: It was just unstoppable. What's you calling the unstoppable bird something like.
Speaker 2: So murder Ink was untouchable, the untouchable murder Ink. Right, So all right, we got up. We gotta talk about Jay Prince. He put this in his book. So this is public knowledge. He put this in his book. So shout out to Houston, my man, dog key, if you're listening, that's my guy. We connected on Instagram. Dripped up and drake down. We gotta go to Houston. We got I'm gonna get Jay Prince on this.
Speaker 5: Then that's a fact.
Speaker 6: That's a fact. We got to hear it, Prince. We need you, man, that's a fact. That's a fact. Shout out to h town.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: So Jay Prince told the story about how he met you in his book, right can you story?
Speaker 5: He loved me to tell that story to you always whenever we went around new people.
Speaker 4: Chris, come on, tell tell every tell him how we met. But you know it wasn't on good terms. And you know his legend and his name and reputation proceeds him. So when I had found out, IRV calls me and says, seven, we signed to Jay Prince.
Speaker 5: That's one of your producers.
Speaker 4: At the time he was about he was one of our main producers and made a lot of records, made a lot of money, and J Prince was basically claiming all the money he made and generated because seven said that's his money.
Speaker 5: So if he signed a J.
Speaker 4: Prince, He's like, collect that money and then we'll do whatever my ideal says, like.
Speaker 5: Earners, what's up.
Speaker 8: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works, like the checkout is fast, the seats are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. Not just about payments. It's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready to see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the P and C Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member ATDIC.
Speaker 9: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 5: Sponsored by the United States de Partment of Homeland Security. Get I'll take from there. So so.
Speaker 4: Jay reaches out and IRV tells me, you know, you got to go to Houston to deal with Jay Prince. I'm like, great, you know, gre thanks thanks brother, thanks, sir, good look good looking. But you know I'm indulgent. So at the end of the day, no problem. At the time, Print was home, Yeah, shout out of Supreme, hold your head.
Speaker 5: Brother. At the end of the day, Supreme is home.
Speaker 4: And he was at Beaumont, Texas, going to see his nephew Prince, and he was coming from there out there, and he calls me and tells, I mean I called him and tell him I'm going to Houston. Meet me in Houston. He says, no problem. Then I called one of my other brothers out there in Houston. Black We called him b One. So I called b Be Ones about that life. So I was like, Yo, donna come to Houston. I got a problem out there. He said, whatever you need, I got you. So I get out there. He's like, what's happened. He comes picks me in preem up and he's like, what's happening. I said, Man, who's this j Prince guy? I got a problem And he said, oh, man, I can't do nothing. He's like, that's the big homie. Man can help him. So, you know, keep it moving. Everyone told me don't go to his ranch. Jay says, he calls me up while I'm in Houston. He says, hey, come meet.
Speaker 5: Me at my red And I'm like, he has a ranch. He has a ranch. He's a real cowboy, like he's he's a country boy man.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: He's the biggest provider of Hey.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he said that Black Angus beef.
Speaker 4: Yeah. People don't know he's a mobile and he's a real mobile. But he's the biggest real estate owner in Houston. Yeah, he's someone you should talk to. He bought his whole hood. Fifth Water is his Jay Prince, you know what. So at the end of the day, they tell me I got to go to this ranch to meet him. I said, all right. So he sends two cars, two SUVs for Jay. It was all presentation. See I know this in hindsight now that I'm with that's my brothers. But in the beginning, I'm thinking this is some bullshit, Like he sends two cars, two people in one four and another and me and Preem and Black Black is like, I'm gonna come with you in case some goes, I try and diffuse it and stop it. So I was like, all right, bet, so we drive again. I just want to give the list the viewers of the vision. When you get to this part. We drove for about an hour from where we was at. Then we get to this one part and it says James Prince estates and we see it's like a billboard and we say, okay, make the right turn. And we drove another twenty minutes from the gate from that corner to get to the middle of the gate. That's how far how much land he has, like and then two more SUVs come down like this path, like dirt path. You see the cloud of smoking. Me and Primus looking at each other like yo.
Speaker 5: It was nice. No more no.
Speaker 4: He was like, yo, it's nice, no you yo, But we're gonna take some Jews with us, like we ain't going out alone, man. So they come four more in each of those vis We go up to the ranch, and when we walk in the ranch, it was like the yard. It was like you rightas island in the yard or somewhere. I mean, it was about sixty seventy dudes all over the house. And I'm like, what the Me and Primum is looking at each other like yo, they gonna kill us. So I'm getting frustrated because he didn't come right out like you know, we here where you're at him? And again we're only fifteen minutes. He maybe twenty minutes the most. So I'm getting frustrated. I'm like, yo, where's Jae?
Speaker 5: Who's j Prince?
Speaker 4: Which I don't even know what he looks like like at that time, I didn't even know what the man looks like.
Speaker 5: I don't you hear his name and the legend of him.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking it's gonna be this six' four like dude come, out and then this little dude comes out in the. Back he, Says, hey which one of y'all? Kids AND i said that's. Me he, said, yeah come, on let's go. Talk I'm jay in my, Head i'm, like.
Speaker 5: This is what this is all.
Speaker 4: About, yeah j love it WHEN i tell it because but it's. REAL i promise you it's.
Speaker 5: Real. NOW i kept my, AGAIN i just kept my.
Speaker 4: Composure But i'm feeling the pressure of the room and all the dudes in just the. Environment then When i'm walking to the back with, him you see all the stuffed. Animals it's not, like not like the ones you want from the fucking. Carnival no real fucking animals that stuff and, everything and.
Speaker 5: It's, like so he's a you can see he's a. Hunter he's been. Hunting, yeah he's a.
Speaker 4: Hunter and then it's you, know all the hedges on the, wall and then you go to his desk and right behind his desk it's all the assault.
Speaker 5: Rifle And i'm, like oh, man this is. Crazy you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying and then he wants to talk about twenty eight million dollars that's old to seven and he wants all of that Because seven told him that's all his, money to WHICH i, said not a. Chance and you, know the MORE i Know, jay the MORE i understand the, move because the move was really he's going by With seven told.
Speaker 6: Him but he's a.
Speaker 4: He's a man of his, word so if you say something to, him he's gonna make you honor your. Word so WHEN i told him that's not, It i'm, like, nah he can't get all of. That as we gave him half earth as the other half as the, producer and that's. IT i, said he doesn't know Jay, z he doesn't know J, Lo Mariah, carry you Know MARY J.
Speaker 5: Blige we. Do AND i, said that's my. Money that's basically WHAT i told. YOU i, SAID i don't care what the Fuck sev told. You that's our. Money he said, okay and that was really.
Speaker 4: The end of the meeting, again and then he we went on after, that became really good, friends and things happened that made us get rid, close you know What i'm. Saying but it was a great way like His AND i told him his image precedes. Him SO i told him the more he talks or the less he, talks the, bigger you, know that legend. Grows SO i always tell, him why don't get in too much line.
Speaker 5: Light you.
Speaker 4: Know he put the book, out you know What i'm, saying and the book did, great and it looked like he was a president if you followed him on the ground because he was in so many places the campaign he went on with Legendary LIKE i was, like who's your P.
Speaker 5: R in the middle of, it he gets he got involved with The drake and put the. Thing it was, like this is he.
Speaker 3: Squashed that's not Respond they gave me his.
Speaker 5: Word he's not, responded and we were, like.
Speaker 3: They, Say drake had the. Track he, said if you would have ever released, it, yeah we. Can't he crossed the.
Speaker 5: Line you, know there's only a few. People he's one of the biggest PEOPLE i ever.
Speaker 4: Met satrong honestly strongest doe that ever, MAN i give it To Jay prince And premu is a, monster but he was.
Speaker 5: Not he's not in that.
Speaker 4: Sense he wasn't in STRONG bmf LIKE i know T i know. Me it wasn't as strong As Jay prince in my. Opinion and it's just it's, crazy like WHEN i seen like how he has his not, city that whole.
Speaker 6: Statu you, know he had The kitchakashi when they when he was in.
Speaker 10: With his.
Speaker 5: Son, yeah he was like yo, they he was like yo.
Speaker 4: They.
Speaker 5: YEAH i tried to fix that With. Shoddy hold your, Hands. Shoddy you know What i'm. SAYING i tried to fix that With. Shoddy.
Speaker 3: Man he, said you keep campaigning the, best you're gonna get. ELECTED i used that all that's.
Speaker 5: You you keep, campaigning you bound to get. Elected that's the. STATEMENT i use that. Line. NOW i told Him i'm taking it so he can't get pub on.
Speaker 2: It all, Right so but he sat in The all, right so you meet him and then, yeah, yeah y'all become good good, Yes and then so you'll have an idea to have a black owned distribution company for records with.
Speaker 5: You, Guys Jay prince rap a lot and shook.
Speaker 2: Night, yes y'all is gonna come Together East Coast south and that's a that's a crazy. Trio and he said in the, book he was, like right when y'all was about to get this off the ground and, running everybody just start catching fake cases and all.
Speaker 6: That and, Yes so then that leads to the.
Speaker 5: COINCIDENCE i don't think so channel that you guys are gonna.
Speaker 4: Start, yeah we wanted to be a major distribution, company just like A, universal and we was gonna cut deals with all of the.
Speaker 5: Outlets you, KNOW i Give sugar lot of the.
Speaker 4: Credit sugar is a super smart man, man and people don't understand some of his business.
Speaker 5: Accliment sugar is a. Predator good dude for, Me, Yes, sugar hold your, head good dude for.
Speaker 4: Me. Yes but we had a we had an ups and downs, too and but predator is one thing they respect is that you, know if you stand your, ground they respect. That if you, don't if you show the, weakness they're gonna take what you. Got they're gonna eat your. Full AND i learned that early from my. Days so WHEN i had to deal With, JAY i UNDERSTOOD i couldn't show that and and just like With, SUGAR i couldn't show, it so but it all turned.
Speaker 3: You, know for, us it was those are all great, races probably the reason why they said we could work with. That so With sugar ideas Absolutely sugar was putting it. Together And jay again is a very a super brilliant.
Speaker 4: Man i'm not shading him at all because he is a genius in his own right from a business.
Speaker 5: Accliment, also he's very.
Speaker 4: Methodical he's a chess like everyone moves, differently you see how they. Move he's a chess. Player he doesn't speak, much you. Know And irv's vision, creative you, know on, business and that's where we was coming. Together and When sugar was saying the place we envisioned it and seen that it could really, work and we was, like, wow this is. Amazing and then all of a, sudden this, indictment that, indictment you, Know and LIKE i, SAID i don't think that was. COINCIDENTAL i thought The feds really wanted to learn about the hip hop. Culture and what better way to go at it than, go, oh these three are getting, together let's try and chase someone down and shake this tree and.
Speaker 5: See what comes.
Speaker 4: Out Sam Sam cook actually was trying to do, Something Sam, cook that's, right and then they think he's the reason they.
Speaker 5: Got, here got killed, right like he was seriously gets killed by some random.
Speaker 11: Woman you, KNOW i hate conspiracy, theories but it's hard to some of. These it's hard to deny certain, things is What i'm. SAYING i hate it BECAUSE i like, proof, RIGHT i like to know. FACTS i don't like to talk on. SPECULATION i like to know what's really. Real and that's WHAT i. Mean but there's so many.
Speaker 4: Factors even when you talk about let's say like holistic doctors and then all of a, sudden all these random doctors that got killed it's like or, disappeared.
Speaker 5: Doctor.
Speaker 4: Sevy there has to be some type of connection that correlates to these. Deaths so it's, like, so, yeah there's a conspiracy, theory but there's a lot of facts.
Speaker 5: Too.
Speaker 2: Man so all, right so you guys caught the that. Case so The, feds if anybody's not, FAMILIAR.
Speaker 5: I don't know how we caught a fair. Case but you know that's another.
Speaker 6: Story, yeah The.
Speaker 2: Feds the conviction rate is ninety seven. Percent you don't beat the. Fedes it's almost. Impossible to beat the feds because they put so much pressure on. You they strutsch the cases out for so. Long, well you almost got a. Copy that's.
Speaker 6: Why that's why the conviction rate is so, high because most people just cop out and usually your money.
Speaker 5: Runs, Right so you guys had the peak of your.
Speaker 6: Dominance, yes you caught a federal. Indictment what was?
Speaker 5: That what was? It hit you with the rick?
Speaker 6: Ross so they tied it in with money launch rate and supreme that's what They, well you, know it.
Speaker 5: Was a lot more.
Speaker 4: Charges it got dwindled down due to great attorneys and the right. Thing even the money lorder case was. Stupid we was paying think we was charged with a million dollars of money on. It, right just to just just use your own common sense from, THERE a million dollars of money on it sounds like a, Lot but we're at that moment we're paying tens of millions of dollars in.
Speaker 5: Taxes we're paying eight phees and.
Speaker 4: TAXIES i was gambling over a million dollars a, week But i'm laundering a million. Dollars it doesn't make any, sense just common. Sense If i'm learning the, Money i'm trying to turn it, clean, Right why WOULD i be gambling a million? Plus oh, yeah they got it's all, documented.
Speaker 3: So so they froze the, assets, right the music. Assets but that's why you still have some things to pull back. On and you said the gambling thing you were imagine Somebody i'm gonna KEEP i was managing Phil.
Speaker 4: Ivy i'm gonna tell you to keep complete. TRANSPARENCY i RAN irv made a lot more money than me in. MUSIC i was running out of money in music because they stopped paying. Us so when that money went, DRY i had to find other. Ways but, Gambling i'm pretty good. At i'm gonna knock on you, know But.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty good at.
Speaker 4: Gambling and then you, Know i've been gambling since probably five years, old. Honestly and then to manage Phil ivy just made probably the best gambler in the. World give you more insight and, information which is invaluable for.
Speaker 5: The listeners who don't know Who phil. Is google. Him just a superstar poker player amongst. Others michael Or. Poker, yeah they called him The Tiger, woods the Poker Michael Jordan. Poker he's just the.
Speaker 3: Best he's black From New, jersey From New, Jersey he's the reason why you have The World series Of poker ON. Espn, yes the reason why the pot has grown up With, yeah he's the reason it grew so big because of his.
Speaker 5: Success and then people took an interest in. Him he was a.
Speaker 4: Personality when you looked at all the other poker players that had, success they wasn't. Interesting they wasn't, black that's for damn, sure but they wasn't interesting as a.
Speaker 5: Person they was Very, LISTEN i don't know how to introvert. Boring was.
Speaker 4: Boring so at the end of the, day he was the first one to come and put the sway.
Speaker 5: To, us, man we're going. ANYWHERE i take a lot of credit for Philm.
Speaker 2: So all, Right So French French manteta has a line where you say people lost millions trying to beat the, fees, right and you saying you got spent eight. Figures oh, yeah eight figures are your. Money so it wasn't just like so what.
Speaker 4: What you had to spend money on was attorneys and the attorneys we had to represent us in the case for the. Trial wasn't the Attorneys i'm talking. About i'm talking ABOUT i had the biggest law firms, again ignorance is. Crazy we didn't know we HAD i didn't KNOW i had to fight the government AND i wasn't charged with a crime in the, beginning, Right so we're under. Investigation they raided our. Office we wasn't charged with any. Crime they're just saying we're under. Investigation what does that. Mean they're looking at. You, Great look we're making here. Records that's what we was telling, everybody, like come, in, look there's nothing to, see.
Speaker 5: But we're making all these. Records and then all of a, sudden universalis stopped paying.
Speaker 4: Us i'm, like wait a, minute and why they stop Paying they stopped paying us because they. Cooperation, yeah they cooperated with the government against. Us The United states Of america said if you help these, boys we're coming after. You SO i don't think anyone would have cooperated right and try to help. Us any company they would have been, like they would have distanced themself FROM, us no matter how many billions of dollars we've generated for.
Speaker 5: Them and that's the.
Speaker 4: Facts and then at the end of the, day you, know when you look at irv's, career you, KNOW i USE irv Because i'm a part OF.
Speaker 5: Irv So i'm gonna leave it at irv's.
Speaker 4: Career he brought in Just jay Z, rockefeller, RIGHT, Dmx Rough, fridays Joh rul Murder.
Speaker 5: Ring when you count up.
Speaker 4: Just that, alone not counting anything else we did For, redman Method, Man Foxy, Brown, Ludacris, nelly not count any of. That just those, There we're in the billions of dollars of generated. Revenue and that's how executives in the music industry look at those. Executives when you talk about A, jimmy he's gonna tell you all the artists he, had so don't discount WHAT irv.
Speaker 5: Did it's the exact same, thing you.
Speaker 4: Know you, know when you look at some of these executives, again Like jimmy is an incredible, executive probably the best music exec, Ever Jimmy, ivan hands. Down but when you look at some of these other, guys they they did very little and made hundreds of millions of. Dollars but maybe they was the right side of the.
Speaker 5: Fence they wasn't on the other side of the, tracks if you understand What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying but at the end of the, day they met with very limited amount of, success hundreds of millions of dollars was given to them for those assets that they. Created and that's the difference in hip hop versus pop versus country because they didn't do it WITH.
Speaker 5: R AND b either anything of. Color they didn't give it up like.
Speaker 2: That so THE fats, came they put pressure On Universal Universal flip, said whatever you need to, know we'll tell you basically pretty.
Speaker 4: Much of, course they just. Didn't they cooperated the. Government, now we can't fight. Everybody at the same, time we're in the middle of this. Storm you don't even know where all of these things are coming. From not to mention fifty, cent, right think about all of the things he's doing in the interroom of all of this while we're going and dealing with this thousand pounds.
Speaker 2: Goree you feel that Fifty so a lot of people say that he kind of dry snitch without really. Snitching, no he's.
Speaker 5: Snitched but it's all.
Speaker 4: Good it's what it, is what it. IS i got statements Of Curtis. Jackson, WELL i mean, like but it was like around the states all in my. Paperwork, yes SO i don't need to that means he made. Statements what do you call?
Speaker 5: THAT i don't.
Speaker 4: Know it's just again when we went out and if we said, that no one would believe it or no. One you, know success has a way of blurring your, vision, right he was super, successful so he's the number one. Artist he was killing.
Speaker 5: It he was killing. It people want to believe that. Story you, know it's all. Good it is what it.
Speaker 4: Is it's no crying over spilled milky is what it. Is but the facts of the facts that. Don't you're not going to get me to lie and tell you something. Different did he Tell, yeah he told. Stories he told him that were trying to kill. Him he told him that, lies, like come, on you're trying to get us. Deterred and then that's these are things that, happened you know that happened with. HIM i you, know this is a financial, discussion but this all affected, business, Right it's all affected. Business SO i don't want to deter off of. It but you, know they only protect their. Own they wasn't coming to protect nobody. Else they protected. Him they made sure he was, safe like it's a. Lie in The United states Of, america the federal, system the federal, government the police, department they all took care of this. Man so you know why is THAT i don't get, it but you, KNOW i let him tell the. Story it doesn't matter to. Me we're, here it's a different. Day that's a long time. AGO i know who you, are you know WHO i, am and it's all.
Speaker 5: Good you know What i'm. Saying people ask, me got? BEEF i know. BEEF i don't even know the. MAN i don't know. HIM i can't have a beef with SOMEONE i don't. Know and, yeah you could sit and talk and all. THAT i don't know what. YOU i don't know. You we never did, Business, well we did do.
Speaker 4: Business this is how crazy we didn't do. Business he was On Columbia. Records Tina davis was HIS. Amr over, there an executive over. There shout Out tina fifty one. Music he paid a first half of one hundred. Thousand we was making fifty thousand a song at the, time and he paid for four. Songs so he got one hundred thousand for the first half For earth got Absolutely, Earth God. It, no we never got to, produce but he. Would why would you pay it if you didn't want to do business with? Us he, Paid so why would you Allow why would you allow your record label to put up one hundred thousand dollars of your budget TO Irv god your Top Dog productions to make four songs for you if you didn't want to work with you, KNOW i don't.
Speaker 5: UNDERSTAND i don't really don't. KNOW i.
Speaker 4: Know we tried to have multiple. Meanings it never, happened but he would never show. Up but at the, end like to just, squash, like what's the.
Speaker 5: Problem we don't know?
Speaker 4: You Like john didn't know, him he Knew Black, child he Knew, caddy but we didn't know. HIM irv didn't know. Him earth definitely didn't know, him AND i don't know. Him And jul didn't know, him but he Knew Black, child Knew. Caddy so why can't this work? Out he was being managed By, supreme he was being managed By. Chaz you're, saying you, know and so was He. Chazz you Know, chazz you know Black hand was managing. Him so in the beginning, Day so how.
Speaker 5: Do you not try and resolve? Whatever where's the real? Problem it isn't.
Speaker 4: One it's, like, well you, know smoking, mirrors, man this is not a real. Industry where we're not in a real. Industry, well this is the problem with. Fans this is not a real. Industry this is this is about. Entertainment this is about again money and entertainment. Again six,' nine, perfect example told. On everyone he's so some. Tough, guy, yeah real. Real tough forget. About it it's.
Speaker 5: Not real. It's fake. It's entertainment. You know fifty is.
Speaker 4: No different he. Was entertaining he made. Great records they didn't think of. What happened He gets jim iv in, with him the best, Executive Ever, doctor dre the best producer ever in, hip hop And then eminem the biggest artists in hip hop at.
Speaker 5: That time are you?
Speaker 4: Kidding me how can? You lose, you know people don't understand He. GETS game I had. Game first like it's so much stuff that's not told that people just.
Speaker 5: GO no i was in. THE process i was Working. WITH game i was made mad Records. With game Shout. Out game you Know what.
Speaker 4: I'M saying i was Going, to compton picking, him up bring him, the studio. Making records he was. Constantly Talking baron davis Brought, me Game and i'm trying to get erv To sign game and work it and. Make music and then all of a sudden he called me, AND says i Got. Doctor dre so he wasn't signed at FIFTY in. G unit perception THINKS he's.
Speaker 5: G unit this is what people. Don't get he was signed To doctor dre and, After that but doesn't it make better sense TO be. G unit.
Speaker 4: It's business so when you think, Murder, rink okay we're generating nine figures, in revenue HERE comes.
Speaker 5: G unit REALLY not g. Unit aftermath it's only a.
Speaker 4: Lateral move take, my money put it. Over there that's all it Was. For universal they.
Speaker 5: Don't care.
Speaker 6: Is, business yeah was All. Under universal we're All.
Speaker 4: Under universal they were on The. Nscope universal we're On Deaf. Jam universal so it.
Speaker 5: Didn't matter it's Just. A niverse it's. A, slide yeah push that.
Speaker 4: Money there you think they care If they if that slide, didn't happen they, Would care but because, it happened they.
Speaker 5: Don't care.
Speaker 4: You Know, for vendi Who owned universal at, the time was trying to get in touch with us because they wanted to know what's going on with, The case like what get out.
Speaker 5: Of here there's nothing going on. The case we're making. Hit records but that lets you know how high up in, the System the.
Speaker 4: Universe system we was being talked about and, dealt, with right you think You think vivendi was TALKING.
Speaker 5: ABOUT g unit or any.
Speaker 4: Other label they only care because we was losing. The Money us junior. Got popping they're gonna talk ABOUT g unit at. That moment do you Understand what? I'm saying at, that moment they're not THINKING, G unit they're. Thinking murdering all this money is about to go down. To drain what's going on with?
Speaker 5: You guys is?
Speaker 4: Everything okay you know Under saying and that's, what happened and then it gets shifted. Over there from a, corporate standpoint it's. No loss it's probably. A win they went up and.
Speaker 2: You said you said something that like when they they had you guys sign something like if y'all lost.
Speaker 5: The, case yeah so while during our trial we had to sign over to you to so we could.
Speaker 4: Get, Money right usually we was talking about how the government they they they stop all your revenue. From coming that's why. They win they you cannot fight them because you run out. Of resources, you know someone TOLD, me inc you know ink not, not MURDERING just inc is. Unlimited RESOURCE because i got, unlimited ink so they could write things, about you which they did they, you know there's very strategic in, their approach and it's like, in hindsight you, learn it you don't know why you're in. The storm so just imagine all these things going on and the government is sitting there stopping everything financially.
Speaker 5: For us what are we.
Speaker 4: Gonna do we're gonna run out of money at some point and then now here this offer so we could get if we go, To jail universe would have. Owned everything you want to talk about some. Scumbag, business okay think About what i'm. Telling you I'm facing i'm fighting for my life. In court we signed that in court room while we're in.
Speaker 5: The middle of. Our trial this Is what universal did.
Speaker 2: To Us so universal comes in the middle of the trial with paperwork, that says if you lose, your case we own, everything everything and, doing that they gave. You money they cut a check that they owed us so we could continue.
Speaker 4: To pay but that's what, they did you Know what, I'm saying so we could continue to pay legal we was paying. PRIVATE investigators i investigated everyone next to ME because i wanted to.
Speaker 2: Know who, my DEALER and i. LET it i want people to really understand and see that in so in the middle of a. Federal trial you went to jail for. Twenty, years yes somebody from universe who comes, and, says look WE have x amount of dollars in. The courtroom but in order to get, this money sign this paper and if, you lose we're gonna take everything that.
Speaker 5: You, build everything it's. Ours ours you have no real choice but to sign it because you. Need, money right they found. Your vulnerable but now we, REALLY dice, i said.
Speaker 4: But this game was the this was crazy crazy and how again it was a, crazy risk but we was running. Our options so we do, the deal we win, the case we, own everything and then they don't want to do a deal. With us took us over two years to get that next. Deal back so you're sitting there with no. Generated revenue THAT'S why i went, into sports you Know what. I'M saying i went, into insurance. He fund this is all, the time the ERA when i started all. Of these after those, two years we didn't get our. Deal back we thought we was going to run right back into a, deal nothing so.
Speaker 2: All right, So okay so now that leads into the conversation of what you're. Doing now because the distribution thing started with that and listening, the studio you was explaining how what you're doing Now with adventures you're distributing independent music.
Speaker 6: To, platforms yes like a. Distribution channel i'm a.
Speaker 5: Distribution Company, season yeah.
Speaker 2: BECAUSE because i don't think a lot of can we just break down because there's a lot of independent artists, out there and especially now right they may Not know so as an, independent artist how do you get? Your, music well we know how to get to, music now but before like what was the how does the independent artist get that music onto.
Speaker 5: Before the internet or After.
Speaker 4: The internet like Before, the internet you could still go directly, to iTunes but now they put a lot more criteria on it because they're trying to eliminate. The volume if you don't come through an aggregator, like myself a, toom CORE a. Cd baby they don't want that business From Just john Doe, From boise idaho putting their.
Speaker 5: Music up they want you to go through.
Speaker 4: An aggregator so that's another way of them, blocking, things right they got. To control everything is about control, and blocking so that's what. They're DOING so i have, A Company, adventure MUSIC and i do digital distribution for independent ARTISTS and i get you on all of, those outlets all those DSPs that would allow your music to be either streamed or downloaded. For money and then, you know we take a percentage just like any, distribution company, you know and you get.
Speaker 6: The balance so it all. Has COMPANY but i don't own. Your music they still.
Speaker 5: Own him, the artist, whoever is whoever is that person is that's putting the, music up is the owner of. The music so the benefit of it right as an.
Speaker 3: Independent artist Let's say i'm an, INDEPENDENT artist i can put the music, up, MYSELF right i can put it on A sound why don't we go to ADVENTURES because i?
Speaker 4: Have things when you, Say SoundCloud SoundCloud is not a real place to. Get, monetized okay it's mostly, free music but it's one of the number one places for independent artists to get to.
Speaker 5: Get RECOGNIZED so I.
Speaker 4: Encourage SoundCloud and now they did start a monetization side, of it so you can't, do it but you gotta, fit again it's a criteria to get to fit.
Speaker 5: Into it so but Let's Say apple Music or title, you could.
Speaker 4: YOU can't i delivered over two, hundred locations which is typically more than ninety five percent of all the other aggregators that, does distribution but.
Speaker 5: Then the real.
Speaker 4: Secret sources i'm part. Of education i'm teaching you the reason you should do what you need to do from a. Business standpoint from if, you know every independent artist is A. MINIATURE universal I use universal all the time because they're the biggest. Record label so whatever they're doing to monetize, their business you should.
Speaker 5: Be doing the.
Speaker 4: Same way just you're, just, Small right but they know. The game they know how to monetize this music that, you're doing so you should. Follow suit you should understand don't try and reinvent the wheel because they know how to do it. The, best now you could do other things added on that they may not do and try because you might change. The game but follow the business acclement of what, they do and you'll be in a. Great place, you know the number way music record labels make money. Is catalog, you know that's the number one revenue stream all the. Old Music so i'm trying to. Teach artists they tell me they got a hundred songs in, their Computer and, i'm like, that's money but you don't get it because it's in.
Speaker 5: Your computer and.
Speaker 4: If you go to these other companies they charge you every month to keep your music out to, distribute it which. Is, counterproductive RIGHT if i, HAVE to i want to be able to put my music out and it sits there as long as that. COMPANY'S open i don't want it to be returned to me or. TAKEN down i wanted to sit there because if it could make, A dollar i want to make. A dollar if it could make one, HUNDRED dollars i want one, hundred dollars and it could be in, ten years, twenty years it.
Speaker 5: Doesn't matter that's what. Music is.
Speaker 4: You, know uh give me AN. Album dmx we was Just talking. Dmax depth jam is not making a dollar of marketing.
Speaker 5: Costs into that. Album anymore that is pure.
Speaker 4: Profit one every dollar is on top of whatever they, already generated and that will. Sell, forever right. It's timeless it's gonna get. Played forever it's gonna generate. Revenue forever that's the game you're in as, an artist and you need to know how. To play and that's what we TEACH it a benure.
Speaker 5: Music, powerful no.
Speaker 6: That's powerful. That's powerful.
Speaker 2: We want to thank you. For, coming, oh definitely that was a lot a lot of. Information information that's.
Speaker 6: A fact that's.
Speaker 5: A fact i appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Guys, though man this is a great platform for everybody to really learn business and what.
Speaker 5: To do you give them. Credible advice both of, you guys. INCREDIBLE advice i.
Speaker 6: Appreciate You christ chris is also a two.
Speaker 5: Time, Champion, dykeman.
Speaker 2: Yeah not.
Speaker 5: Well again.
Speaker 4: Dominican power I'm. With mikey, YOU see i Got my. Dominican power mikey is uh, You know mikey. The mayor he's up.
Speaker 5: There killing it. Right now got some incredible PLAYS and i think we're gonna get. This year they showed us some love. Up there if you, Don't, know dykman you need to be there game in the City Of New.
Speaker 6: York, city now if you haven't Been To New, york city you gotta come In going, dominican playing and You gotta. Friday night that's. A fact that's the lights.
Speaker 5: And time that's.
Speaker 6: A Fact.
Speaker 2: Shouted, dykment Yeah. Shouted dykeman, for sure shout Out The New york city. Street, walls definitely, the culture it's a culture. Within itself how can people contact you or get information on adventures independent artists if they want to get their music?
Speaker 4: Out there Or Definitely I'm chris gotti one eight seven on all social media platforms And adventures Music dot com is THE WEBSITE a D D V e N t U r e S music Music Dot com Adventures because i'm adding ventures together for all, these artists these.
Speaker 5: Independent artists that's where the name.
Speaker 2: Came from now, that's dope that's and you also said that you have like you can they can get different services.
Speaker 5: LIKE absolutely i have services everything you could.
Speaker 4: THINK of i tried to make a menu list of all the services That say universal would do for you and create that list for an. Independent artist the difference is, price, Point RIGHT so i could roll you out if you had the money you want to, roll out Like Your, RICK ross i could.
Speaker 5: DO that i have all the people.
Speaker 4: In place but if you only have a couple dollars one hundred bucks, two hundre there's things you could do that will help get your record. Out there and THAT'S what i. Do too so it's a it's a variety of. Different services if you need a, video man you need your record mix. The MASTER like i, tell everyone the power of mixing mastering is because you're competing against the.
Speaker 5: Best artists once, you delivered so if your music doesn't.
Speaker 4: Sound right, you know you've ever been in the club and they play a record from somebody and that record sounds like a little lower and then you play the records that are.
Speaker 5: Out and it goes. Back up that's. The problem that's why you need to mix the master.
Speaker 4: Your record you're Competing, with drake even though you don't, understand that and you know one record could, change everything so you want to always have the. Best chances it's just about, being prepared and it's at your. Resource level But what adventures Will Do once i'm finished with, the Platform because i'm still building the, TECH out i will be one of the biggest marketing FIRMS and i will have money for every independent artist based.
Speaker 5: On, social media, all genres, every artist and that's going to be the.
Speaker 4: Game changer That's when universe is gonna have to get out. Of here THAT'S when i closed. THEIR doors i got a little bits always COMES to i.
Speaker 5: Got a little beef for a. Few guys but it's all good and he.
Speaker 6: Knows them we want to thank you. For coming man, for sure some housekeeping.
Speaker 5: Items. True man patreon is doing. Really.
Speaker 3: Well man shout out to everybody that is being subscribing To. Our patreon Uh that's patreon At. Backslash ernalisia it's just a way to support. The podcast like we say, each episode we've been getting some some. New members shout Out to Siena and Vicky, and tiana and shout out to Our.
Speaker 5: Guy tony we had a great conversation.
Speaker 3: With, him man he was telling us how we've been, inspired him and what we took away was like how much his conversation inspired us to keep. Going right He's In north carolina and telling us like he just wants to help whatever he can do to help us grow. This thing he's willing. To do and that was just from you Know him patreon and and getting a conversation. With us so shout out to him and everybody that that's supporting, the podcast whether it's on getting the merch the, you know the asset of a liability shirt is, doing well the hustle for your, Last.
Speaker 5: Name i'm Wearing. The yeah we got. The tour. You know our first stop Was. L a We. Did brooklyn we got a couple.
Speaker 2: Of cities shout out to the To, the brooklyn We, Did crazy we did a. Networking meeting Great, in, Brooklyn nice like three hundred people. Came out was like a rappers. In store it, looked crazy.
Speaker 5: It was it was A good listen, to me this is one of the best podcasts. OUT there i appreciate that something but good.
Speaker 3: Things coming everybody that's, supporting it either getting the marriage Or, doing patreon we.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it love.
Speaker 2: Is, love, yeah yeah, so yeah we come into a city. NEAR you i think the next stop is going To. Be atlanta were on.
Speaker 5: The tour on the, moving around.
Speaker 2: We, people atlanta D. M v i want to Go, To, Houston toronto. Canada too we got We Said, jay prince so we gonna Go. To houston you gotta.
Speaker 5: Check in.
Speaker 3: What we're trying to do is that when we go to these tours with we're trying to bring people who've.
Speaker 5: Been on if you go, out there if He's, IN houston i definitely think. You are now officially with.
Speaker 2: The book tip since we just Talked About jay Prince is i'm gonna say his, Book Please the Art, Of Respect the Art.
Speaker 6: Of respect it's a.
Speaker 2: GOOD book i listened to an audio Book on iTunes AND so i definitely. Recommend it it tell us his. Whole story It has chris and It has chris story, in it so definitely make sure y'all y'all check.
Speaker 6: That out, and yeah and We're. On twitter we need some, CUB jay i need Some pub, oh, yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: We're on twitter now to us a fact we just Got.
Speaker 6: On twitter Lesi. On twitter.
Speaker 2: Follow that subscribe to our YouTube channel, as well and. Keep listen subscribe to iTunes Check.
Speaker 5: Out adventures if you, sign up. Let's go that studio.
Speaker 6: Is crazy, all, right y'all thank you for rocking. With us. We appreciate we see you. Next. Week please.
Speaker 10: You just realized your business needed to hire? Someone yesterday how can you find amazing? Candidates? Fast easy Just use indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other. Job Sites with indeed, sponsored jobs your post jumps to the top of the page for your, relevant candidates so you can reach the people you. Want faster According to, indeed data sponsored jobs posted Directly on indeed have forty five percent more applications than non. Sponsored jobs don't wait, any longer speed up your hiring. Right Now with indeed and, this show we'll get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs. More visibility at indeed dot com SLASH p o d kat. Z thirteen just go to indeed dot com slash po d kat z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you Heard about indeed on. This podcast terms and. Conditions Apply hiring indeed is all you need