Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Monday, Chris Collinsworth will stop by NBC will give you Eagles Cowboys to open the season. Coming up soon. Big weekend, Big weekend underway with college football next weekend, really big weekend because college football has the weekend. You got games on Thursday, you got games on Saturday, Saturday Night, games on Sunday, Sunday Night, Monday Night, North Carolina and Bill Belichick. So five days of college football coming up eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot Com, Twitter handle a DP show and we'll get to phone calls. Coming up, best and worst of the weekend. Operator Tyler sitting by. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock. Thank you for downloading the app. And we say good morning to our radio affiliates numbering over four hundred cities that carry the program. From the crew that brought you the Office, comes a new comedy of under dogs with major issues. Sounds like US stream the paper. September fourth, only on Peacock. Seaton Recap Hour one, whole question results and what are we going with an hour or two?
Speaker 3: This is a controversial grouping of pull questions, Do you keep the numbers of people who have passed away on your phone?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 3: Seventy six percent of the audience say yes. And then the addition or addendum to that was, is texting the number of someone who has died to say hello a healthy thing to do?
Speaker 2: Okay? Right now?
Speaker 3: Seventy seven percent of the audience say no, Oh okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm I'm in the majority on the first one, in the minority of the second one. So yeah.
Speaker 3: I I don't like when when somebody I know dies, I don't even think of, oh, I should take their number out of my phone. I just it isn't even part of the thought process. Maybe occasionally you'll be looking for someone's phone number and that'll pop up or something, but I don't actively seek to remove it. But I also don't think let me keep it on here, though, because it's fun. Okay, But imagine this happening, because it did. I text somebody who had passed away and his son had the phone, and his son text me back. But I don't know that his son has the phone. I'm just saying, hey, Tom, thinking of you and whatever, get a message back, thanks, and then I find out later that he wasn't sure what to say back to me because he didn't want me to think like Tom's texting me from wherever, and so it was kind of awkward where you actually get a text message from somebody who's passed away their phone and it just said thanks.
Speaker 2: Could have been an emoji. I would have ciate a good emoji from somebody who's passed away. Stat of the day brought to you boy Pennini America, the official trading cards of this program. So Big Weekend College Football next weekend, NFL preseason is over and the cuts will be happening. They took place over the weekend as well. We'll talk to Chris Collinsworth as he gets ready for the Eagles and the Cowboys. Is he preparing for MICHAEH. Parsons to be preparing for the Eagles. So we'll talk to Chris. Coming up, what's the poll question? We're going with an hour two Seaton.
Speaker 3: Well, the commentary surrounding this one is great. Many people have suggested that Todd has surpassed his limit of words for Monday, and that maybe Todd should be shut down.
Speaker 2: You should be on a word count sometimes think you should be. Was that a lot of worth? Well, you took forever to really tell me what you really felt in that. It was kind of weird that I text my mom or text you know a couple people we're friends who passed away.
Speaker 4: I think I was working it out in my head as I was talking aloud. That was part of the problem. I didn't really kind of put it together and then present it as an argument. I was just kind of going with the flow.
Speaker 2: Why did you prepare.
Speaker 4: Like a statement out at least about my thoughts on a given topic.
Speaker 3: Have you ever heard of the phrase putting your foot in your mouth?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was an example of it time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I probably put both feet in my mouth. Amazing how you could even understand any of the words with who?
Speaker 2: Probably unclear? I ask you, I think three times, I don't know what you're saying.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I'm not sure what, but I do think a psychologist or psychiagist might say you need to close the chapter on your friend or family member and it's okay, you're not like deleting them from your life and your memories, and.
Speaker 2: You okay, we're not doing this. We're not doing this. I I told you what I do like we are. I don't want you. I don't care what your opinion is, Dodd, you don't know I do not.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: Oh that that's insensitive, But not you criticizing me for being a strange guy. Yes see, we're now.
Speaker 3: Getting like posts from people on social media commenting on this, saying, like this person said, I have several voicemails from my dad semi colon miss your pop. So now that guy's reaching out to his dad through our Twitter, posting his toes that just in case Dad is scrolling the timeline, you never know.
Speaker 2: You never know what, Todd.
Speaker 4: I guess it's possible that some people you see it on daylight, like some people fake their death and maybe they're actually alive. And in your case, the Sun responded, no, no, no, no, no, no no no. Maybe he's a chance that some of these people are alive.
Speaker 2: My mom is dead.
Speaker 4: But in some cases someone could respond to I've been Tahiti hiding from everyone, and I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't take my husband forever.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 4: This is between us. I'm still alive, but don't share this with any one.
Speaker 3: Other people are commenting about how you do realize that phone numbers are reassigned to new people who are now getting your text messages and probably just ignoring them. That's okay, not not you specifically, just in general people who do those kinds of things.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: Uh, Tom and Ohio, Hi Tom, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Dan? How are you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: I'm great, first time, long time, six foot one, ninety Hey Dan, I just want to chime in. I did the same thing. I've got friends and family members and did it past and I keep their number in my phone because it's for me. It's a way of remembering them and a good or bad emotion or good or bad memory. It's it's just a way of memorializing and I love it. So you're not doing anything wrong in my in my book.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Tom, I appreciate that. I feel better. Now take that, Todd, Oh.
Speaker 4: You care about Tom and Ohio's opinion. I'm working for twenty three years, he shut me down.
Speaker 2: Morgan in Maryland, Good morning, Morgan, Good morning VP.
Speaker 7: So I got Bess and work's the weekend. Best of the weekend. I'm actually a little further north than you guys in Barry, New Hampshire, at my friend's lake house for good about five days with the kids, just like paddle boarding and on the boat and morning coffee is on the dock. It's pretty sweet and I like it up here.
Speaker 2: Awesome worst weekend.
Speaker 7: It's kind of tied to that. My son has, you know, discovered that when he's outside he can kind of pee wherever. But he's when I say wherever, he's not going to like a bush or a tree. So yesterday morning he drops trow off of the dock and I'm saying, like, he drops trow and holds his shirt up. He's not holding anything. He just let it rain. And there must have been like a bass fishing tournament going on because we we're on like a no wake zone, and there must have been ten fifteen boats that just came out slowly going by and seeing my son just letting it rain off the doc and I'm just standing there with my coffee, like, hello, good morning.
Speaker 1: How old is he?
Speaker 8: Fo?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay? Four? I thought if you're going to say's twelve, then maybe we have an issue there. But thank you Morgan. Enjoy the scenery there. Matt in South Bend, Hi, Matt, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Good morning day? And Danet's best of the weekend was I played golf with the Miller White distributor and just wanted to give you guys the update. We are set to go for the tailgate. I got the spot all figured out. It's going to be a little private corner, so you guys can be hitting a little bit if you want, and looking forward to getting you to South Bend.
Speaker 2: We will be out there for usc Notre Dame. Thank you, Matt. We look forward to that and we'll give you details. We got a little bit of time before we get out there, but we'll try to give you details if you're coming out. We were going to do Thursday and Friday from outside the stadium, but we'll let you know because I'm sure college game Day is going to be out there. We're going to have to pick our spot so we don't get trampled there. That'll be fun going back out there again. Yeah, Pauling, that's like mid October, right maybe? Is it mid to late October fifteenth? The game is the eighteenth, eighteenth. Okay, that's prime weather. Yeah time foliage all foliage, Yes, right up your alley, Dustin in Alabama, Hi, Dustin, Best and worst of the weekend, Good.
Speaker 10: Morning, Quick best investor, and then two really quick questions. Best was my alma materors Parop Alabama's Riley Leonard for the Indianapolis Colts going fifteen to twenty for the bomb one hundred and eighty nine yards in a touchdown. Bester, I spent my Sunday yesterday cleaning, organizing Michael Rodge, and getting some cabinets put up in the wall that was much overdue. Two quick questions, South Alibam boyd down at the beatail time. I am going to Toledo, Ohio in about two weeks for some Level three first T golf coach training and I've never been anywhere near that part of the country, so looking for some suggestions. And then last question, I'd never heard last week anything get mentioned about Auburn self proclaiming.
Speaker 11: Seven national titles. So just thinking maybe that's something y'all could do with the sports Emmy and yeah suck at Auburn and Mathan Rolltop all right.
Speaker 2: Thank you, justin Yeah, I can't help you if you get up to what Toledo. Yeah, I'm from southern Ohio. But if you get a chance to go to Canton, you can go to Canton Hall of fame, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Last week the ad at Auburn claimed self claimed the nineteen ten, nineteen fourteen, the nineteen fifty eight, and the four national title. They really got a job at four nineteen ten. I don't recall, but it was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: It's still amazing the gene Chiswick won a national championship. You know, Cam Newton, Cam Newton.
Speaker 12: Did you see the response by our buddy Scott Van Pelt he self claimed the twenty twenty Sports Emmy for Best Studios. Oh he did, Yes, and his show because they played through during the pandemic as we did, and so he self claimed the twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: No, he deserved Yes, he deserved it. He didn't Senior Night. He deserved that, but so did we. We were here every single day, three hours a day. Yeah, three hours, not one hour, just saying yeah, we did three Scott, not one. Part of the interruption is a half hour, not even that, it's like twenty two minutes.
Speaker 3: I think he was up for host. We would be up for show. So he could get his, we could get ours.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with that. Yeah, because he's a good host. We're a great show.
Speaker 12: Yeah, pull or we could be co champions like Milgia attack in Colorado nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't do that, can't do that. Didn't One year President Nixon declared Texas the national chance like the president. Uh could you see President Trump, you know, doing that. I saw where he is trying to get Roger Clemens in the Hall of Fame. Really he is, man, I think so just like Pete Rose. Yes, yeah, yes, pulling.
Speaker 12: So before the game it was Texas versus Arkansas in nineteen sixty nine, President Richard Nixon declared the winner of the game will be the national title holder. And Penn State was upset. They were in a different bowl game.
Speaker 2: They were disappointed or they were upset, Oh disappointed? Okay, Mario and El Paso, Hey Mariol, Hey Dan.
Speaker 6: How are you doing good?
Speaker 5: Six?
Speaker 6: So I was telling you a screener that we're really close to the border over here. I'm a public address announcer, and so you know, the hawbai is like the early local thing here. When ever you got to say somebody's like first and lasting, you know, I'll be like first down, Carlos, right, like you really have to announciate. Yeah that that Spanish flavor. Yeah, and I'm wondering if the how I think it's kind of.
Speaker 9: Like a local thing.
Speaker 6: But that'll be like Carlos, you know, one of those things. But anyway, just wanted to show that.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thank you, Mario. Of course that clears things up. Terry in Kentucky, Hi, Terry, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 5: Dan, just want to let you know I got to take from uh Chuck Berrys. He won't know what hill took so long to gong fritz Oh.
Speaker 2: Okay, the guy who's the host of the gong show.
Speaker 4: Very nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he brought it back. He brought that, Yeah, he did, dead guy. And then I had to gong.
Speaker 4: You covered a lot of area with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was I thought a timely purchase. I said to the big german, I needed gong to gong Fritzie. And he goes, okay. And you'd be surprised. There are a lot of gongs available on the internet trafficking. Yeah, I don't know, like you know, illegal gongs, contraband yes, Marvin.
Speaker 13: So now with the gong in your studio, do you not use the corner silence any longer?
Speaker 2: Oh? I can use that sometimes. I kind of have to remember to do that. Todd gets claustrophobic when I do the conu silence and me see, I don't even know if I got batteries in here to see if it works. If you're watching, it's work. It is working, sweat, if you're watching on peacock, here goes to if you know, that's how it makes me okay? Are you okay?
Speaker 4: For about another eight to ten seconds, I'll be fun.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna go eleven seconds. Two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm really not enjoying this right now.
Speaker 2: All right, let me let me see if it'll go up. Oh darn these batteries. They're tricky. I think it's frozen. You know what. I'll work on this tomorrow, Tod. That's not going up. It's not going the damn batteries. Uh, all right, I'm gonna find if I'll see if I can. Man, it's not working, Tod.
Speaker 4: Sorry, gotta be a button that works there, cross all the buttons and what of it makes us go up?
Speaker 2: It has to be all right. We're gonna take a break and uh, let me see if I can get this fixed. Chris Collins were set to join us coming up next here on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wap.
Speaker 14: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You can catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course, the iHeartRadio App. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 14: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up, best and worst of the weekend. Rick Neuheisel, you'll recap college football from this weekend, but also look ahead to who he thinks will win the SEC and the Big Ten and when we're headed to a twenty four twenty eighteen playoff. That'll be coming up in an hour from now. Chris collins Worth Football Night in America Sunday Night football analyst and played wide receiver in the NFL for eight seasons. Three time Pro Bowler, Chris, that's it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, first alternate a few times too.
Speaker 2: Does that count?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, but that's when it throw it in.
Speaker 8: You know, it's pee cock. I can throw that in, you know.
Speaker 2: But it meant something back then to be a Pro Bowl.
Speaker 8: You know, the game was hard back then. I mean people got ripped. I mean, if you remember, there have been a few players just explosive, just kind of shots. But we were playing for real money back then. It was either if you won, you got ten grand, if you lost, you got five grand and you lost money on the week, So that was the deal. I mean you were playing.
Speaker 2: We were playing Chris and Company, Sunday Night Football. It'll be on Thursday Night next Thursday Night, Cowboys and the Eagles. And seventeen seasons as an analyst on the primetime Howard Cosell is second with fourteen seasons in primetime. I didn't know that.
Speaker 8: Well, that's a sure sign I'm getting old tale brother.
Speaker 2: Congratulations.
Speaker 8: I love Howard, though. Did you know him at all? Did you know Howard casselto.
Speaker 2: Late in his life. I met him a couple of times, and one was kind of a sad moment. He couldn't pour water, he couldn't pour his own water because he had Parkinson's. And the other one he yelled at me for being on the phone when the baseball strike ended. But it was this nineteen eighty four and I was doing a live report over the phone for CNN, and he yelled at me because it was the only phone that was available. And he came out and he kept trying. There were three other phones. They didn't work, and I said, you know, Howard, I'm really sorry, but I can go in this live report on CNN and he goes as if the whole world's watching CNN, and then he stormed away. Go on, I just I just met Howard go Sell.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 8: That was good. I had him at the Superstars and I'm in the swimming competition, which they forced you because they were a sponsor to wear speedos. So I'm next to Mark gastine both wearing so Carsell's going up and down, you know, doing this thing. Hey our gas and O blah blah blah blah blah. And so he comes to me next and he goes, well, mister Collins with what do you think? And I looked down at myself. I looked over at Gas and I looked down at myself, looked over at Gas, and I said, Howard, I've never felt so my entire life.
Speaker 4: And that was it.
Speaker 2: That was It was like the before and after. You were the before and gastineau.
Speaker 5: Before.
Speaker 8: It was not good.
Speaker 2: I opened the show talking about rookie quarterbacks and mistakes that they make. And in college you get the opportunity to extend to play. Receivers are open longer, hold on to the ball more. We saw this with Caleb Williams. Uh, you know obviously we saw it with Shador Sanders. But when you look at film, when you see rookie quarterbacks, what are the things that are really jump out that are negative?
Speaker 8: Hold the ball. I mean, Shadhur Sanders was a really good player in college football. When he got the ball out of his hands. You think, because he's Dion's son, that he's a run around guy, right, you would think in reality those were his worst place. When he got the ball and got it out of his hand and under two point five seconds, that guy could really play. I mean, it was really impressive. And so my whole thought on him is is he going to be able to take a step back and say, all right, I like to run around. I like to make plays out of the pocket. But in reality, that's when I was taking sacks. That's when I was turning the ball over. There were some good plays in there too, but at this level, you've got to get it out of your hand. And that's what we've seen Jackson Dart do. That's what we saw bo Nicks do last year. That's what we see the young quarterbacks that can come into this league and make an impact right away because those guys playing edge rushers in the NFL are the greatest athletes in the world. I mean, those guys are six six and two seventy and run four or five and man, don't mess with those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and getting into a rhythm. And I thought Dylan Gabriel did a really good job. And I think he was programmed to do that in college, where I thought Shudor didn't have a good offensive line, did hold onto the ball a little too much, and oil's fails. He had Travis Hunter to bail him out. Now, you've got to get into that rhythm. How do you teach that though? With young quarterbacks?
Speaker 8: I mean I've seen everything. I've seen them blow a horn at two point five seconds. Like so, I've had kids even in high school that the idea of They all want to do the same thing. Usually, if you're playing quarterback in high school, you are the best athlete in the school. Right, So your entire life, you've played tag, you've played freeze tag, you've played all these different games. Right, nobody could catching You're the best athlete. So you get on the football field and what do you know how to do? All right, let me just run around. They can't catch me, and then I'll you know, make a play, and you watch Patrick Mahomes, and you watch Lamar Jackson, and you watch Josh Allen and those of the guys that are competing for the MVP of the league. So I want to be able to do that too. But in reality, if you hold on to it, all you're doing is inviting more pressure. If you get back there in the pocket and you just go poop poop boo. I mean, Jackson Dart, I wouldn't. I wouldn't blitz him if he got in the game for anything, like I want to see him throw the ball down the field a little bit and read out the defense fully so that you know, those are the kinds of things that I think the adjustments are there in the National Football League, and Caleb Williams is probably the prime example of that. I think every analyst that went in there, and I think, you know, as far as the top games, I'm the only one that wasn't a quarterback. So he heard it from everybody like get the ball out of your hands, Like, dude, just get the ball out of your hands. It doesn't matter complete seventy percent. And that's what Ben Johnson's been trying to do with him just het seventy percent. We got to hit seven out of ten of these and that's really hard to do. That means a lot of checking down in the NFL, and that's where he's got to get to.
Speaker 2: Are you preparing for Micah Parsons to prepare for the Eagles?
Speaker 8: Of course? Of course. I mean are you watching the Netflix thing on the Cowboys? Are you seeing any of that? And of course the Emmitt Smith thing. He held out for the first two games. They lose the first two games. Jerry's been down that road before. We've seen all this. They want to be a show, they want to be all these things. But the problem for Mike a is that you know, they really do control them for the next three years. He's under contract, and he can be franchise tagged the two years after that. So I don't know what the contract was that he agreed to. It wasn't a great concept to go in and sit down with Jerry Jones and start talking about a contract. It's not a great concept for the Players Association to allow NFL players in the room to negotiate with NFL owners. Those guys are trained killers, right, I mean that they are billionaires. They know how to negotiate deals. So as an agent, there is no way I'm letting Micah Parsons anywhere near Jerry Jones. I don't even want to have a private conversation on the field. I don't want any of that stuff. So but once you do, and you know, man up. He said he was willing to take less earlier, you know, and you know, whatever it was in the off season and he goes, oh, I'd take less to play for the Cowboys and all that, and Jerry took that and ran with it, and whatever was said behind closed doors, Jerry feels like he has a deal.
Speaker 2: I know, we're obsessed with rankings, ranking our quarterbacks. You know, where is Jalen Hurts? Is he a top ten? You know, I don't know where you I'm going against my own philosophy of you know, a kind of a knowledging these lists. But I am curious, since you do have the Eagles with Jalen Hurts, where does he kind of fit in to the pantheon of quarterbacks.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not sure that I've seen his story like his I mean, I remember watching that National Championship game when he got benched for Tuam and Tua gets in the game and throws the game winning touchdown pass. They win the National championship. Everybody's going crazy, and I think most of us, maybe who are just parents, maybe those are the people. But I was thinking, Oh my god, that kid's career is over. Jalen hurts career is over. He's been a really good player. But there is no way, mentally or emotionally he comes back from this. You just can't happen. Right, goes off to Oklahoma, and I think he did a little bit of what we were just talking about. He had one of the highest percentages when he played for Oklahoma, comes out, gets drafted in the second round. Universally, everybody was panning the pick. How what are you doing in a second round quarterback? You might as well just throw it in the garbage can or whatever. But that's a team that was built around offensive line, built around defensive line. And to watch him and to meet him, You ever met him, You ever just had a conversation with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's impressive.
Speaker 8: He's probably the most serious minded football player I've ever met. I mean, to get a smile out of him, you feel like, you know, you want to have a celebration, But he is all in. He's all in for his teammates. He's not afraid to lead, he's not afraid to put his head down and run. And when we talk about great players, what do we talk about in the NFL going from the twenty to twenty Anybody can do that? You know, if you had any chance at all, you can do that. The game starts in two situations in the red zone in short yard, right, those are the two you got to convert on third and fourth down, and you got to score touchdowns. When you get to the red zone, you're kicking field goals. You're going to lose in the NFL. And so what does this guy do better than anybody else? He hits a high percentage, be can run the ball with He's not a Lamar Jackson, maybe more of a Josh Allen kind of a big, strong, physical guy. But he scores touchdowns and he converts third downs, some of them with his arm, some of them with his legs, some of them with just sheer power or you know, his brain, his audibles because he studied the game so much. So it was interesting. I did an interview with Peyton Manning not too long ago, and he said that Jalen calls him all the time about how do you operate? What were you thinking here? What do you do there? And he's a real curious guy, but he is He is a dynamic guy. What I want him is my quarterback. I would take him all day long. Plus he sets the tone for that physical style of play. I mean, how frustrating would it be for a three hundred pound, three hundred and fifty pound defensive tackle to know he can't stop the quarterback from on a quarterback state. That's making these teams insane. I mean, they tried to change a frigging rule on them. It's making them all crazy out there. So I really I think very highly of him.
Speaker 2: Well, what's different now? And you know this is NFL teams drafted a quarterback and then you had to kind of adopt that team's philosophy of what they do. Now it feels like you're catering your offense. Whether it's Cam Newton or Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen. We want to cater our offense to your strengths.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Lamar Jackson's probably the top of that list.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 8: So that was a Ozzie sitting there and there's Lamar last pick in the first round, and as it gets a little closer, he and John Harbaugh are having this conversation and I've talked to both of them about it, and basically it was this, are we going to do this, because you know, we've got to change everything that we've ever thought about offense. If we're going to do this, if we draft Lamar right here, and it's going to be your last pick as a general manager, it's going to be a bit of your legacy. I are ball as a coach have to totally commit to what he does. Right, And at the time, nobody I mean, obviously he's a thirty second pick. Everybody else had a chance. They didn't think that highly of them, right, But the one thing that I thought about him from the beginning was that he was a pocket passer at Louisville. He was That's what he was. Now he scrambled out of that and he ran and he did different things. So yeah, I think that in its entirety now the league is about finding guys who can make those plays, who can escape pass rush, who can game and convert third downs, strong enough to take a hit, smart enough to know how to run an offense, but have a good enough arm. And those are the guys. To me, those are the guys that are winning championships right now.
Speaker 2: Give me the team you're most curious about, probably the Bears.
Speaker 8: You know, I think it's hard to not want to see what that combination is. Ben Johnson's a really good coach. He's got a really talented quarterback and Caleb Williams. He's stacked him with receivers all around him, helped him with an offensive line. Joe Tooney's over there right now. And I think Ben Johnson's that smart, you know, he's like, you know, I hate that we have a rocket scientist in the league. You know, he's a computer scientist, and you know, so it's like, I don't know how much of that makes a difference or not, but he's a smart guy. And I think that what he did going into Chicago was you know, I'm going to beat him up. You know, I'm going to make his life really miserable. This guy's gotten nil money in college. He drove a fancy car before I ever drove a fancy car in my life. I'm going to beat him up because this is Chicago and they take football very seriously here, and if he can't handle me, he certainly is not going to be able to handle the Green Bay Packers and the Minnesota Vikings, right So I'm going to beat him up and see whether or not he can take it. But I still believe the hardest thing he's going to have to learn. The part that didn't make any sense to me at the time why Ben took Chicago instead of he could added almost any of the jobs, is he had a quarterback in Callable who had I think literally like a dozen snaps in college under center, and so much of what they did in Detroit and the reason they were so successful in Detroit was because they were under center and they ran football and they very much were part of that offensive line, you know, being the driving force of the team. And then Jared Goff became a good player because he got protected and they ran the football and you can go play action. So you know what they're trying to put in place here. I just it'll be interesting to see whether Caleb can become an under center quarterback.
Speaker 2: But I don't know why more quarterbacks don't get under center. That takes away the illusion you know where you're going to do play action where you actually are faking or giving to a running back, And can you speak to that of everybody's in the gun, I think.
Speaker 8: It's what they know. You know, they've got all these passing camps now when they're in high school and you go seven on seven and you do all that, and so nobody's taking the center snap. And I can tell. I mean, I played quarterback until I was a sophomore in college when they finally figured out I couldn't throw it at all. So but just and I would talk to Kenny Anderson about it. I'm like, what are you watching as you're going back? And he said, I'm watching the two safeties. So if they split, that means one thing, and one comes up and goes back. If they're too deep that means another thing. I know through my progressions immediately what I'm going to do. And I said, well, why don't you like doing the shotgun? He said, because I got to catch the ball. And I'm like, what he goes, If I catch the ball, I have to take my eyes off of those two safeties. So I think to some extent there you see snaps get bobbled all the time. But they're trying to watch the two safeties. They're trying to see the field. They're trying to catch it without really looking at the football. But they they've gotten used to doing that over the years. What they can't do is the reverse of it, which is drop back and get themselves set and be able to make the same kind of reads down the field. It's hard.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you. Excited for the upcoming season and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 8: Good talking to you, buddy.
Speaker 2: That's Chris Collinsworth Pro Football Focus. He's a part of If you're watching on Peacock, he's wearing the colors there. And it'll be eight Eastern the NFL kickoff and it'll be the Cowboys and the Eagles. We'll take a break our Best and Worst of the Weekend. More phone calls coming up right after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live Best and Worst of the Weekend hod.
Speaker 4: Best of the Weekend At Maria Sharpoe's International Tennis Hall of Fame enshrinement Saturday night, Serena Williams came out to surpriser calling her a formal rival, former fan and forever friend. She added this, which I thought was sweet. There are only a few players in my career who chouse me to be the very best every single time we stepped out in the court. Maria Sharapova was one of them. Whenever I saw her name next to mine in the draw, I made sure I practiced harder. Worst of the weekend. After some pushing and shoving during the team's final preseason game Saturday Night, Bucks rookie safety Shiloh Standers gets ejected late in the second court after throwing a punch of bills out in Zach Davidson. He was cut by Tampa yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess there's still a chance that he could come back to the team, but you know, they cut him out to the game. Satan best and worst.
Speaker 3: Best thing I saw this weekend. There are these I'm trying to find some good video, maybe I'll do a look in on it. But there are these adult tackle football leagues popping up all over the place. It's like you thirty seven or something, you forty or whatever, and it's a bunch of older dudes in varying degrees of shape. It is simultaneously the most brutal thing and most hilarious thing I've seen in a long time. Partially disturbing, partially just the best entertaining. Yes, yes, yeah, full pads, full pads, full hitting, full everything. ACL's flying all over the place. It is just amazing. And these dudes take off their helmets and you know, gray in their beards and everything.
Speaker 2: It's so good. It is so good.
Speaker 3: My kind of don't really understand, but I'm sure it is a big deal. A lot of controversy coming out of the US Open, and especially the start time starting on Sunday rather than Monday. I don't know if that's just a tradition issue or if there are actual, like competitive reasons for it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I didn't even know the US Open started. It's like all of a sudden, I saw some matches or results and a controversy with a photographer.
Speaker 3: The photographer is a big controversy.
Speaker 2: Booing Quiet Marvin Best and Worst.
Speaker 13: Best of the weekend. UNFV running back Jet Thomas had a big night. Ten carries, one hundred and forty seven yards, three touchdowns. His real name is not Jet, it's Jaden. When he's called him Jet, Worse of the weekend because he's fast. Correct your team, my team, Everyone's team. The Colorado Rockies they lost to the Pirates. They officially eliminated from playoff contention.
Speaker 12: Okay, Paul beston worst Best of the weekend, Havaii beating Stanford in football and the quarterback for Micah Alajedo. He's only five to ten, twenty seven to thirty nine to ten, two touchdowns with a really bum foot. He was laboring in the second half, so Elajeado for a vie and then the Little League World Series. I don't know which team or which player it was, but they put like favorite band on their bios or favorite foods. What you want to be when you grow up is often on the graphic, and this young man wanted to be an actuary, and it got quite the response in the booth because it's non traditional an actuary.
Speaker 2: Okay, Todd, do you know what an actuary does?
Speaker 4: I thought it was either something tax related or some kind of legal thing, but I don't know. I couldn't guess anything more specific than something legal or handling something taxes.
Speaker 2: I just thought it it was like it had to do with mathematical stuff and like I think when you look at potential losses and gains and then you have to kind of guess on that, maybe it's bess to do with insurance, right, I don't know. I think an actuary works in insurance. Okay, that would make sense if they're looking at risk that is. Does that sound right, Paul?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I think collectively we're right. Ish actuaries use math, statistics, and financial theory to analyze economic risk and uncertainty, most commonly in the insurance companies for risk tables going forward.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think we got it. I think we did better than Carl Ravage did and the Little League crew when they were talking about it. Do you have a worst of the weekend? No? No, two besters? Okay, that's great. I saw these Paul Skeens numbers. These are historical numbers that he's putting up. The live ball era in baseball started nineteen twenty. The lowest RARA in the first fifty starts for a pitcher in the history of the game Vita Blue two point one. Second on the list is Paul Skeenes two point two lowest era in the first fifty starts of a career. How about the best whip, the lowest whip in the first fifty starts in the history of Major League Baseball. Paul Skeens is number one highest strikeout rate. This is the first fifty starts of a career. Uh Paul's schemes is in the top ten. I mean, these are incredible numbers. He is the tenth lowest batting average for the first fifty starts in the history of the game. The slugging percentage against him is the eighteenth lowest in baseball history. Remarkable, and he's a five hundred pitcher. Well in record and this year while he's playing for the Pirates, we'll talk some football. Rick Neuheisel will stop by. Are we going to a twenty four twenty eighteen playoff? Who's winning the SEC, Who's winning the Big Ten? Find out next