Speaker 1: Back with another Sunday sampler coming up. I sat down with Ashley Monroe super Vulnerable. She talked about fighting cancer, how she continues to go in for checkups, and also music and the Pistol Annies reuniting.
Speaker 2: That's coming up in a second.
Speaker 1: But we have a new podcast called In the Vets Office with Doctor Josie. I hope you check it out. If you love animals, it's for you. Also, it's just funny and interesting. But she sat down with the founder of Wags and Walks and they go through everything you need to know about adopting a pet, and so if you're thinking about adopting.
Speaker 2: That's great, but really, where the money is here.
Speaker 1: Doctor Josie also shares a story about how a routine procedure went really wrong and she had to go home immediately in shower.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Here's a clip from this week's episode of In the Vets Office with Doctor Josie.
Speaker 4: I feel like every week we get to catch up and find out what crazy thing.
Speaker 5: Happened to you this week in the Vets Office, And I don't know what it is yet. This week I'm kind of scared because you have a funny look on your face. Yeah, we were sitting here.
Speaker 6: I was like, I wonder if this is a little TMI for the audience, but you know, it really happened, so I feel like I got to share it. Okay, this is not this past week. This is actually I probably was a year into practice. So I was a baby vet okay, and we had the cutest little Calvey King Cavalier. Oh They're so sweet. They're adorable. And the sweet little angel was crying every time she was trying to go poop, and we went to I went to express her anal glands and for the life of me, could not get them to express. And so I had my mentor and friend. He is a veterinarian. He's probably about seven years older than me, and I said, hey, you need to come check this out, like something's not right here. And he's like, sometimes they get impacted and we have to sedate them and express them.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I'm like great, So we'll sedate her. You're like, oh great, I'm like perfect, let's do it.
Speaker 6: So to date her and go to express or anal glands and still cannot get them to express. And so doctor Williams is his name. He comes out and he says, okay, well, I'll help you. I'll show you how to do this. And he's, you know, doing the thing, and he says, hey, come here, I want to show you, like, I want you to see exactly what I'm doing so you can replicate it in the future.
Speaker 5: Warming I'm like, I'm so nervous as.
Speaker 6: To what is going on here, yep, And I am getting a bird's eye view. I mean, I'm in there looking, Oh, you're right in the area, okay. And then he's you know, trying to express them and there was like kind of like a plug and the plug came out. Oh no, and the anal gland expressed and I went all over my face, into my mouth, into my.
Speaker 5: Eyes, and I.
Speaker 6: I don't know that I've recovered from that. This is about seven years ago and I still have PTSD. The best part is that there was security footage because we have cameras in the hospital.
Speaker 5: The whole team watched it back. It is like, actually very hilarious.
Speaker 6: I'll probably have to post it on my Instagram and we're gonna need a copy of that video. I'm spitting on the floor. I'm like throwing up in the sink. They're like, doctor, Josie, what do you need. I'm like, call me an uber. And so I got an uber and I went home and I showered and I really wanted to have a glass of wine, but it was like nine in the morning, and so drank water.
Speaker 5: Went back to work. Oh wow, I have no words at the moment. And you still after that moment, you were like, this is the path for me.
Speaker 6: It's like and that was a testing time, I will say, but yeah, I was like, hey, this is part of.
Speaker 5: The job, part of the job, part of the job.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, have you I felt really bad for my uber driver.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's like I do not smell goods there that I can. I can't talk about it.
Speaker 4: No, I'm like I can plug my nose right now, do you now since you've learned your lesson whenever?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I have anyone coming in there. Oh we're teaching. You're like, let's not look over top of.
Speaker 6: The area, like put your face shield on, yeah, put your goggles.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 6: I was debtimately a learning experience for sure, and a ride of passage as a baby vet.
Speaker 4: So when you finally got home and thought about having your glass of wine, right, how many times did you have to shower to get that smell.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I walk in. We were in downtown Chicago. I walk into my apartment. My husband works from home, and he's like, wow, what's going on? And I was like, do not come close to me. I took off all my clothes like right at the front door, ran to the shower. I probably had to shower like three times. I wash my hair and my face and brush my teeth.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was, oh, brush your teeth. It was a journey.
Speaker 4: Oh no, yeah, because I mean regular shampoo is not going to get that smell out and regular soap.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: I threw my I threw my clothes away, my top.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was like, burn it. Did you go back to work right after I did?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah? I h oh that day. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I ran home, ubered home downtown Chicago, changed showered two to three times, brush my teeth, got back in the uber, and went back to work.
Speaker 5: Okay, did the same mover driver pick you up to the wait for you or no? God no. He was like that girl was stinky, Like if I ever see Josie pop up?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Picking her up?
Speaker 11: Yeah? Wow?
Speaker 5: And did you get a raise? No? No raise, no raise?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 5: But it is funny.
Speaker 6: So the camera footage shows all of my nurses just like dying laughing, and I'm like, you traders, no one tried to help you. I mean they were like what what? Like you just don't even know what to do at that point. So half of them are just like giggling in the corner. And I mean, I can't blame them. It was pretty funny.
Speaker 4: But and did you stay working there for Is that where you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's where I was prior to moving to Nashville.
Speaker 4: Now, I don't know if I could have turned back to the c If you're listening to this, doctor Williams, thank you so much for that learning moment.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: All right, we are going to have more learning moments right now because some of our listeners have some questions for you.
Speaker 5: Yes, we're going to do some listener question and Answers of the week.
Speaker 13: All right, let's see what we got.
Speaker 3: Hi, Doctor Josie, sometimes my dog eats grass and I was wondering if this is normal or something I should be concerned about.
Speaker 2: Please let me know.
Speaker 5: Thanks the grass eaters.
Speaker 6: Yes, I get asked this question for sure on a weekly basis, and it's a myth that dogs are carnivores. They're omnivores just like us. They require protein and they're greens, and so I don't get worked up about dogs eating grass here and there. It's pretty normal for them to want to forage. So if your dog is like munching on a blade like a cow, that's fine. I will say, if they're rushing outside scarfing down tons of grass, sometimes that can mean they have an upset stomach.
Speaker 5: Okay, So that's not a myth. That is not a myth.
Speaker 6: So if they ever really hurt tummy and they're running outside and they're just like ravenously eating grass and then throwing up afterwards, you know, if it's a one and done, okay, let's keep an eye on it. But if that's consistently happening, you should talk to your vet.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: But my German shephery will go for a walk and he'll like, we chewing on a blade of grass the whole time, and I'm like.
Speaker 5: You know what, he just likes his green. Yeah. My French bulldog she used to do that all the time, and.
Speaker 4: I would laugh because she would just take like one big chunk of grass and just sit there and enjoy it. She could, but we have a German Shepherd mix and she will play for hours and get really worked up, and then she just devours grass and throws up. Yeah, And I'm like, but she doesn't do it all the time, but I always getting so worried and I'm like, is something wrong with her? But she's also like panting and now she's vomiting. I'm like, this is not good.
Speaker 5: This is not great. Yeah, I think it.
Speaker 6: Obviously they can't tell us, but my guess is that their tummy's hurting. There's like an acid build up in there. Grass is very non acidic, so it kind of can coat the tummy, and so they're probably trying to help with that acid build up and then ultimately they end up throwing it up.
Speaker 5: So it's not the end of the world.
Speaker 6: But if it is a consistent like hey, this is happening multiple times a week, certainly it's happening every single day.
Speaker 5: Talk to your muchinarian for sure. Cool.
Speaker 13: All right, good to know.
Speaker 2: Jack White. Have you ever met him?
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 7: Oh, yeah, I know him because he it was in two thousand and eight. He reached out to me because he heard me on WSM in his Car heard me on the opry and he wanted me to do this thing with the Raconteurs.
Speaker 15: And Ricky Skaggs. So I redid a song with them.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 15: Yeah. So he's been a friend since.
Speaker 7: And then I've been on the road with the Third Man Band and wanted Jackson when he produced that record.
Speaker 1: Did I never met him. I've been a fan since. I mean, obviously I'm a fan if I know he's Raconteur. Yeah, but so obviously why stripes Jack White solo racking tour any of his projects? I at least check out some of them. I love some of them, I like, right right, But I've never met him a person. Is he really because I'm I'm pale as crap? But is he really pale in person?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: He is?
Speaker 1: Like I respect that because I don't want to see the sun ever. Yeah, I have no interest in the sun.
Speaker 15: I'm so opposite and it's gonna.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're extremely tan, like have to have so.
Speaker 15: Much work done.
Speaker 16: That's okay.
Speaker 15: I have a spray tan too.
Speaker 1: Though, oh spray tann to fix it all. Yeah, I'm just I'm an enemy of the sun.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and that's wise, you know.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. I feel like and so i've I've never drank. I would like to drink. It seems fine. I don't drink anymore, really, but but I would like to have drink. Maybe I don't drink anymore, but maybe I would have liked to.
Speaker 15: Have had to have drinks.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know how to relax. So but what I do know how to do is be addicted to everything. So I know, you know, I've never drank. But since I haven't drank and I haven't been in the sun a whole lot, I feel pretty good about my chances for like a pretty like unless something like hits my bus hits me.
Speaker 2: I felt pretty good on my life.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 15: The only thing, Yeah, why do.
Speaker 2: You stop drinking?
Speaker 15: Because I just started noticing I didn't like.
Speaker 7: How I acted, what I said, how I felt, what I did like everything about it. I started going, I don't even like. I don't like how it tastes for sure, Like what the point?
Speaker 15: You know?
Speaker 2: So what was the point is everybody else was doing it.
Speaker 15: So it's so much fun.
Speaker 2: That's what I wanted to say.
Speaker 9: That's so much fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I want to drink again.
Speaker 7: I know, but when you have stuff to lose, the fund's not worth it.
Speaker 15: That's the thing that.
Speaker 7: Shifts in life is like, oh, well that's so dumb. The fight you had when you're drunk, or all those things that when you're young and care free.
Speaker 1: It's just like whatever what happens with your mind? Does it ever stop making music? Can you take a break either psychologically emotionally however, and just go I'm not gonna do music for a minute.
Speaker 2: Or is it always going with something?
Speaker 7: It's always going with something? Oh, there is no turning it off. It's like how I breathe?
Speaker 1: Always a song in your head or maybe a melody, either a song that you heard or a melody that you're working on.
Speaker 2: Is it always something.
Speaker 15: That or something I'm longing for? Like I I'm.
Speaker 7: Listening to something like looking for feeling in music, but not searching out if I'm not writing.
Speaker 1: It as in you're chasing Maybe this isn't what you're trying to say, like you're chasing an inspiration or maybe you're inspired and you're trying to I don't know what do you mean by that?
Speaker 7: Like I'll just think I'll get in the cargo. How do I feel and I'll be like, either, you know, like a little Wayne Oh, so you'll play to identify how Yeah, and then but then I'll kind of start searching for something that has a certain feeling in it, Like I'm always searching for a feeling that's in It's in like deep moment and it's in a lot of restless heart songs. It's in that crowded house a lot of crowded house songs. I don't know if it's a way. I don't know if it's a way like the chords go or something, but it's like a mood that's normally what I'm searching for.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you're a minor or a major person minor? Thought I was gonna say that some people could be insulted by that. I feel like I'm very much a minor what I enjoy at least. Do you feel like you're an artist minor?
Speaker 7: Yeah, and my initials are AM a minor.
Speaker 15: I really think that's so accurate. I have so many songs that start in a minor.
Speaker 1: What key do you sing in? If you were to pick your favorite where you feel most comfortable.
Speaker 7: I kind of can find something on in every.
Speaker 15: Range.
Speaker 1: But like if there's like pick your you're gonna sing for the King of the world and sing your best song?
Speaker 2: Probably, See I can only sing in D. Really that I can't sing.
Speaker 1: So the only you know, I do music, comedy, music, right, everything in D because I have to because I can't get I can barely get in it and I have no ability to get out of it D.
Speaker 15: So it's a good key.
Speaker 2: What's the can always drop D it it's the easiest key.
Speaker 7: Actually, I normally when I get a guitar, I'll just play E.
Speaker 15: That's my first like thing I'll hit.
Speaker 2: But have you ever seen the national anthem?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 7: Gosh, I used to at tractor pools and ravelos and stuff in East Tennessee.
Speaker 2: But did you have to say and that match the picture? Could you just get it?
Speaker 7: I could get it, but it was nerve wracking. I mean, oh it was nerve wracking. I remember I'd have to write the the words on post its in my hands and my hands so sweaty.
Speaker 1: And yeah, the problem with that national anthem. And it's a great and I want everybody to know. I love America. Yes, I can't get enough America.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 2: Wish there were more Americas.
Speaker 1: And I will speak for my friends that won't say this because they won't like how it's misinterpreted. And you're not saying this either. But that's a very difficult not song to sing, although it has its difficulties. But if you do it and you crush it, everybody forgets about it thirty seconds later. If you mess it up in any way, it will be put everywhere, and it's almost not worth going out and risking it because all of a sudden, you're a terrible American if you mess it up when it was just an honest mistake.
Speaker 7: It's just too much pressure and the words are tricky, and then you overthink it and then it's over.
Speaker 17: Good, cast up little food for your sol life. Ain't.
Speaker 2: Oh it's pretty bad.
Speaker 14: It's pretty beautiful thing.
Speaker 17: That for a little more thing said he you're kicking it with four Thing with Amy Brown.
Speaker 18: Hey, it's Amy Brown from Four Things with Amy Brown. And here's what we talked about this week on my podcast. Okay, so the reason why I mentioned in the little intro that I want to dig up Papa's ashes is because I saw these stones that are made out of ashes. Someone on Instagram was holding up this really smooth, beautiful white stone, and she's like, this is my dad. But it wasn't just one stone. You can make up to eighty stones from one person.
Speaker 13: Are they tiny like pebbles?
Speaker 18: Yeah, they're little, little little rooks. Yeah, I'm sure they can vary in size. But it was a very soft, smooth, pretty white stone. And she said it was really cool because he wanted to be spread in this one lake and that they had so many stones they were able to pass it out to his grandkids and everybody got a pebble and they threw them in the lake. And then she keeps some like in her garden. They're scattered about, and then she also has some that she will pick up and just rub with her hand when she's, you know, dealing with anxiety or missing him or anything like that. Something smooth, she rubs the stone and I just thought this is really cool.
Speaker 5: She said, there's.
Speaker 18: Only one company in the world that does it. I think it's called parting Stones. All I know is we cremated, but we didn't spread his ashes anywhere. We put him in a box and we buried him in the ground.
Speaker 13: Is that a common thing that people do?
Speaker 18: I think normally when you're cremated. I guess maybe you get put in one of those walls or you get spread somewhere. But we buried him because he had a little plot. But he wanted to be cremated. Now our mom, she's in a casket. Which have you ever thought about what you would prefer?
Speaker 12: I think cremated, Okay, I want to be made in I want to be made into diamonds.
Speaker 5: Okay, give them to my kids, Okay, in a ring.
Speaker 13: Mom has a ring.
Speaker 12: Oh no, it's one of Marmy's old stones that she got reset. It's the spring she wears on her pinky. But it's not from like ashes or anything. I think it's just one of Marmy's old stones that Dad had reset for her.
Speaker 13: In a really pretty band.
Speaker 18: I have the pinky one. And then yeah, she got the like I got the band. So Mom's wedding ring was a gold band with a diamond. And when Mom died, we were dividing up everything, and I was like, oh, I love this gold band. I don't really care much about diamonds, and Christie's like, well, I don't really care about diamonds either, but this would look really cool with my set. And so yeah, then Herbin reset it and your dad, so we took it to a jeweler and they split it up for us, so that way we both have part of the wedding band. So that was a special way to divvy that up. Just throwing that out there for anybody else that is dividing up any types of things, like jewelers can make it to where everybody can have a piece of something. And I think that's important to keep in mind. If you're like, oh, there's only this one awesome piece of jewelry, and maybe there's a way y'all can make it work to where everybody can have a little something from the awesome piece of jewelry and parting stones. Keep that in mind because I'm tempted to dig Papa up.
Speaker 13: Could you even do that? Yeah, you could go and get a shovel.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think I.
Speaker 18: Would talk to the graveside. I mean, he's buried in Dilley, Texas. There's somebody that's running the cemetery, I'm sure, but it's a very small town. It can't be hard to track down. And then we go to the plot and we get the box and maybe we even just take some of.
Speaker 5: The ashes, huh.
Speaker 18: And have them sent off to parting Stones and made into the stones.
Speaker 13: And then everyone can get a stone and have a piece of them.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know what that would be. That this is like the best plan.
Speaker 18: I mean, And we buried him, gosh.
Speaker 5: Just over three years ago. It's fine.
Speaker 18: The ashes are still there doing their thing. They're safely in the box.
Speaker 5: I tried.
Speaker 18: I cremated him here in Nashville and flew with the ashes to Texas.
Speaker 13: Oh, my man carried them, just held them on the plane.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and in your purse. I think they're in a bag on my carry on. I didn't check them.
Speaker 12: There's been stories I know of people who have had their ashes thrown away because the security thing it's drugs.
Speaker 18: Lunchbox has had a friend this is from a long time ago in Austin whose car was broken into and stuff was stolen and ashes were part of what was taken. Oh my gosh, it's like, oh, sometimes you can't even tell what that is like. You might open up and be like, I have no idea, what is this A bunch of dust, dirt, drugs, dirty cocaine. Yeah, we're I feel like we're ending on a right ay, a really positive note. I asked my twenty one year old niece how she wants to be buried, So I don't want to put that energy out there. We're not seeing the pole. That's like we're looking for the pole. We're looking for the pole. We're going to hit the pole. You're alive and well and thriving.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we're doing good.
Speaker 3: We're going to do it live. We are the one, two, three Sore Losers.
Speaker 14: What up, everybody? I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports. I'll gave you the sports facts, my sports opinions because I'm pretty much a sports genius, y'all.
Speaker 3: It's Sison. I'm from the North. I'm an alpha male. I live on the north side of Nashville with bays Or, my wife. We do have a farm. It's beautiful, a lot of acreage, no animals, a lot of crops. Hopefully soon corn pumpkins, rye I believe, maybe a little fescue. Oh to be determined.
Speaker 14: Over to you, coach, And here's a clip from this week's episode of The Sore Losers.
Speaker 3: Eiffel Tower in the background.
Speaker 14: I mean it is beautiful, like they're the base of the Eiffel freaking tower.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine that you planning your vacation and trying to propose. Oh dude, beach volleyballish.
Speaker 14: Ah, you don't even think about it. You're just like, Oh, let's book tickets to parents. Man, that's really expensive this time of year.
Speaker 3: What's all this sand doing in my shoes? Man? Why?
Speaker 14: What's all these security gates in, like barbed wire? Like what I thought Paris were supposed to beautiful?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 14: The Olympics? Oh that was so stupid. Why do we come here during that?
Speaker 3: Oh? Those rings are beautiful? Oh damn it. Did you see the wedding ring? No, I was talking about the Olympics. Oh well I was about to propose. Oh you just ruined the engagement.
Speaker 14: Wait you saw the ring in my bag? No, look at the rings out there? The wait ah, ring in your bag?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? Oh no, the rings on the ear. Charlie, Oh Charlie, you want that? It picture of the Eiffel Tower. You got nothing but rings in the background.
Speaker 14: Got nothing but sand, volleyball chicks and bikinis.
Speaker 3: Lauren Petrowski, chick from Austin. You remember her? Yeah, no, it's not. She was proposing, but she went to go take some it pictures of the Eiffel Tower, and I'm guessing it was because of the Olympics. There was some huge ass cranes they're doing, see, so it was blocking the Eiffel Tower.
Speaker 14: That's what I'm saying, Like that would suck if you went to the Paris in the last few months.
Speaker 15: Maybe.
Speaker 14: I don't know how long it takes to set up for an Olympics. I figure a long time.
Speaker 15: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It takes us four years to build a stadium. It took my father in all six months to build a house. Hung up and listen on one.
Speaker 14: I in comparison to a stadium, how big is your house?
Speaker 3: No comparison. So it wasn't a good analogy. No, I like it.
Speaker 14: It's kind of cool. But yeah, on a scale, I love the Olympics. It's just hard when they're over there and I gotta avoid spoilers all day. And the swimming, I do feel like, is a little bit cheating when they have five thousand different events and then the relays, and I mean, who are good swimmers? I mean when Locked He's done, Phelps has done, Missy Franklin's done.
Speaker 3: We who do We have no idea. There is some up and comer who even saw some clip of it. But Gabby Duck.
Speaker 14: No, not Gabby Douglas, Gabby Barrett.
Speaker 3: I hope Simone Biles is back, dude. I was motivated though in college?
Speaker 8: Was it?
Speaker 3: Phelps was then locked he was out of college. But Phelps, dude, he motivated me to swim my apartment complex pool. I started swimming every night and then, but it was when I get done from Grande. I'd get done at nine pm at night, so I'd go swim until ten. Did that like two nights. Secarity I comes up to me. He's like, dude, this pool closes every night, like stop jumping the gate, stop swimming. I don't know. It was just me by myself. I mean there's no lights on, dude, it's me swimming in the pool. He goes, I mean pols closed, like we closed it at night. Pools totally closed it. I had my Olympic dreams, dude. He totally bashed him. After two days, I was like, all right, shit, I got nowhere to swim. All right man? Uh Ryan locked you checking out? Peace out? That was it. That was the end of my dreams. I was in your Olympic dreams.
Speaker 14: I used to think, man, I could I could run an the Olympics, like I because I could win the mile race, you know what I mean. Like in middle school, I was like, man, I could make the Olympics. I mean the mile race was like against three other schools.
Speaker 3: But you can you win Boston Marathon, not win it. If you finish in a certain time, you can qualify for the Olympics. No, I understand.
Speaker 14: But like I thought in middle school, because I could win the mile race against three other schools, I was head of the Olympics. I didn't realize how many people there were competing for the Olympics. Like, it's unbelievable, dude.
Speaker 3: I hated the what was I mile and a half mile? I hated the mile so much, dude. I would sometimes just hide out and the coach picked what the fuck man? The mile just went off? Oh my gosh, is that what the gun meant? With the he's I thought I heard him say mile two mile? That was the one mile, dude, definitely out of ten meets. I hid in the bathroom twice and then after on the mile, you didn't hear the guy with the bullhorn said the mile? Are you kidding? Dude? I couldn't hear from over here. They went out of place miles the first raised I'm sorry, coach, it's all right, man, get out, come on, come over here. I'll never get my coach. I didn't even run the fucker. I was chilling on the bus hide none of the scenes where my acting started. I guess, no shit, they started the mile.
Speaker 14: Dang.
Speaker 3: I thought it said five fifteen.
Speaker 14: I'm sorry, coach, coach a coach I'd going to fit out.
Speaker 2: There representing my school bro.
Speaker 3: And they're on those day.
Speaker 14: Ray Slater to the start line, Ray Slater to the start line.
Speaker 3: I mean just the look of my coach's face just appalled, like how fuck stupid are you? Kid?
Speaker 14: That's like one time and in high school soccer, I was on JV I think it was my freshman year, and for for some reason, you get this whole routine where you don't warm up in your jersey, like it becomes a thing where you wear a T shirt before the game. And I didn't start the game. So I'm sitting on the sideline and he's like, hey, go check in for piket and I was like all right, and he goes, you're a little pig and I started to jog to the center line to check in.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, damn boxers. No, I just had my T shirt on. He goes sit back down. I'm like, oh, dick it around. Didn't even know you didn't have the uniform on.
Speaker 14: No, because for some dumb reason, we become cool and soccer and we don't warm up in our jersey. You warm up in a T shirt and then you change and you know you he did the starting line.
Speaker 3: We don't won two three, Anderson and I go sit down.
Speaker 14: I'm thinking I didn't even think about it.
Speaker 3: Dude. That happens in basketball all the time. That's why I switched over to wrestling junior year in high school. Dude, sophomore year, I rode the bench so hard when he would throw me in the game, I'd had my warm out warm up pants on. I go check in with my warm up pants on. Yeah, and they'd be like, hey, take off your pants. WHOA sorry. I was over there on that bench for like twenty minutes. My legs were numb.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 14: One time in high school, the mile race is about to come up, and this guy that ran the mile with me and there was Michael Saberian and he was talking to some other guys on the team, like some football players, and he was talking about push ups and he's like, I can do a hundred push ups.
Speaker 3: Like, no, you can't. He's like, I can do a hundred push ups.
Speaker 14: I mean, we are talking twenty minutes to the mile race, stupid, and he's like, I can do one hundred push ups. They go do it. He drops down thirty forty fifty.
Speaker 3: He already won the mine.
Speaker 14: Sixty seventy eighty eighty one.
Speaker 3: Eighty two. Coach, We're gonna do this all the way to one hundred.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 14: He got to ninety three and he dropped, and they're like, told you canna do it. And then they're like, all right, trying to report this.
Speaker 3: Over the mile, You're top is just gassed.
Speaker 14: He had to go run the mile like literally there's no way within of him dropping at ninety three, and I mean them like they weren't like, oh, that was impressive.
Speaker 3: They just sat there and let him go. Told you get into one hundreds.
Speaker 14: I mean he came up literally seven short and within minutes had to go out and run the mile. I mean, one of the funniest things that I remember from high school track. Why do I remember that? It's so stupid, But your memories are your memories, and it is so weird that I remember it to this day.
Speaker 3: And besides that, dicking around with push ups and also hiding in the back of the bus. You don't have to run the mile. The best thing about track, kids, why you should always run it in middle in high school, is you put up tents on the infield, and that's when you start to do the old kiss kiss with girls. Did you guys not do that? No, we sat in the bleachers, man, bro We got to put up full on Coleman tents in the middle of the infield.
Speaker 14: No, maybe they got those after I was in high school because we just sat on the hot bleachers.
Speaker 3: So, dude, it was it Michigan. You're just basically banging a chick. Oh I got a race. Sorry, I was playing seven minutes and oh, hold on, coach, No, I was.
Speaker 14: We were definitely underneath the bleachers because it was so freaking hot in Texas, And I mean I know that some of the stadiums we had concrete under the bleachers and I'd just go lay down to sleep. I would put a sweatshirt under my head and lay straight on the concrete and fall asleep.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's look into that. Ask your coach if you guys go to Cabela's and gets tense before the track, because if you do it is awesome. You never miss a meat dude trying to run a raige. You got hickeys all over your neck.
Speaker 16: Hey, it's Mike d And this week i'll Movie Mike's Movie Podcast. We talked about one of our most anticipated movies of the summer. Kelsey and I gave our spoiler free review on Twisters, the movie that is taking the country by storm pun intended, and we ended up talking a lot about how well Glenn Powell is really good looking in this movie. So be sure to check out this full review on Movie Mike's Movie Podcast. If you feel it.
Speaker 19: Chase it. I wasn't country.
Speaker 16: How would you do it? You do it?
Speaker 19: Oh no, I'm not doing it?
Speaker 3: Do it?
Speaker 16: You were just doing before we started recording.
Speaker 19: Oh no, no, no, if you feel it, chase it.
Speaker 16: There we go, okay, better, all right, we're here to review Twisters. So it's essentially Daisy Edgar Jones' character was a storm chaser. Something tragic happens in her life, and she leaves storm Chasing behind. She moves to New York City and just starts working at like a place where they I mean they still work in weather and predict things.
Speaker 19: I think she probably works at like the National Weather Service.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think that's a place.
Speaker 3: I think that's what. I think.
Speaker 19: That's working at a place where they do the letter.
Speaker 16: They don't really see it. I don't really say, like, oh, this is their job. I think I did see it, like on a laptop or something, their logo. But she goes there and then she gets sucked back into storm Chasing. Good pun, I'm gonna keep using those throughout the review. Great And then Glenn Powell is like the charming but kind of a villain type guy who has a YouTube channel. He's like a hardcore tornado wrangler.
Speaker 19: Yeah, not a storm chaser, a tornado.
Speaker 16: So then Wrangler they start they kind of cross past our butting heads, and that's kind of where the story unfolds. Can they coexist? Can they together? They work together? And they're essentially unlike in the first one. Instead of trying to throw all the sensors into it, they're kind of past that and they're trying to find a way to just eliminate tornadoes, disrupt the tornado, shut it down. I will say that as somebody who loved the original, obviously, I am glad that they didn't try to remake the original story. It is a standalone sequel. The only real references you get to the original is in the opening scene you see Dorothy. They still have it around, and the only other nods to the original I would say Daisy Edgar Jones. Her wardrobe at times looks very much like Joe, like the white tank top and the khakis. Kind of a small little probably ode to Hellen Hunt. And then Bill Paxson's son does make a cameo. If you watch it, there's a scene with an angry hotel customer and that's his son. Aside from that, there's no references to any past characters. And I guess, since it takes place in Oklahoma, that the other thing tying this one to the original, and I'm glad that they did that. The entire dynamics are different. There's not any moment that they try to replicate anything from the original or think.
Speaker 19: Hey, remember that there's no callbacks, yes.
Speaker 16: Which I always find annoying because I want something to stand on its own. Being almost thirty years after the original, I think if we went into it and got a lot of the same, it wouldn't have worked. So I enjoyed that aspect of it. And not only did it have just some great just visuals. One of the best openings in a movie I've seen all year.
Speaker 10: I was shocked by the opening, Like I looked over you and I was like, why isn't expressing emotion. Turns out you were just also shocked in your harp was racing, and I don't really.
Speaker 16: Have that happened to me in movies anymore, where I would just glued into that opening sequence.
Speaker 19: My jaw dropped.
Speaker 16: There was so many just like twist and turns and just that opening sequence.
Speaker 2: Twist.
Speaker 16: There is another one, but I loved it, and I was kind of like going into it like, oh, this is gonna be good. What's the tone gonna be like? And it came to play in the opening sequence.
Speaker 10: There were people that walked in like ten minutes late, and I'm like, you just missed the best opening sequence, And then they tried to sit in like four different areas of the theater, and I was like, I was very confused by it. I was like, you missed a great opening.
Speaker 16: They have meant to the movie since ninety six apparently, but I love the opening sequence. And then once the story starts to unfold and you see their dynamic work together, what I started to notice is this one didn't focus so much on the team's chemistry. I feel like it was Daisy Edgar Jones and Glenn Powell and their chemistry, which was which was fantasticmal but this one really just highlights their story, their romance there, well they won't they their entire working together relationship, and it didn't really have that same overall team dynamic which I thought the first one was about, like the bonding of the team with the storm Chasers.
Speaker 10: I would kind of disagree, okay why I would say there was still team dynamic, but it was more about like the other team, the one like Anthony Ramos's team that she kind of worked with, and it was about their dynamic and like what they were doing. So I still think there was team dynamic, but it was a different dynamic this time not involving There were still dynam maybe it was secondary to the rest of the plot. Yeah, it was still a good dynamic team dynamic.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I just feel like in the first one, like that is what the whole story is about, like them all bonding together, all the now cast, the characters like Rabbit and Dusty, but.
Speaker 10: It's also about Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton not getting divorced and then him bringing along his new fiance.
Speaker 16: How'd you feel about Glenn Powell.
Speaker 10: Putting me on the spot here? I thought he was great in it. They gave the audience what they wanted.
Speaker 16: They gave me what I wanted, Like my ovaries were tingling by watching this. I almost felt like Glenn Powell was too good looking in some of the scenes, the white T shirt Winning the Rain, and I seeing that in the trailer, but even seeing it on the big screen in Imax, I was like, man, now that is the scene. That is your trailer, that is your movie poster. I mean, he's already on the trajectory of being the next big movie star. He's like part Matthew McConaughey, part Tom Cruise, and I think this movie kind of solidified him and he's on a great run right now from anyone but you Hit Man on Netflix and now Twisters, I think I think he's gonna be undeniable.
Speaker 10: He also just I feel like he seems really genuine, Like his parents make a cameo in every movie. His parents are like always going to like press with him. He brings his dog. What did I ask you the other day? I was like, do you feel secure enough in our marriage to be fine with the fact that I'm drooling over Glen pal And you were like yeah, whatever.
Speaker 19: It was like great, thank you.
Speaker 16: Whatever gets people back into the theater, that's all I care about. We need a movie start like him. So overall, what would you rate Twisters.
Speaker 10: Five out of five tornadoes? Ten out of ten tornadoes? I mean, I know that's the same that she's taking into a higher scale. I mean it's perfect. I truly am kind of mad that you don't want to go see it again today, But it's fine.
Speaker 19: We'll take that off her.
Speaker 16: We'll watch it eventually again in theaters. I would give it a strong four point five out of five Cowboy hats or even Texas hats that I'm wearing right now, And I think it's because the original for me is a five out of five. It's never going to move out of that slot. This one came very close. I think it comes down to rewatchability, and I would rewatch this movie right now. I don't know if it's going to have that same effect that I'm going to rewatch it as many times as I have the original.
Speaker 19: This is I said it on the way home last night. This is my new Step Up.
Speaker 10: And I've told that story about where I watched Step Up every day for a month.
Speaker 19: I will be watching Twisters two every day when it comes out on streaming.
Speaker 16: But here's how I feel different after watching the original and watching this one. I would rather have a sequel now to this one than I would rewatch it again fifty times. And I think they're gonna do it.
Speaker 19: Do you think there'sh gonna be another one?
Speaker 16: I think so. It's made really good money. I think, depending on how it does for the rest of its run, I think it's kind of hard not to do a sequel at this point with if you have the success, if you still have the cast, then really being like their biggest movie right now for everybody, I feel like it's going to be hard to deny doing another one.
Speaker 19: Take my money.
Speaker 11: An she's a queen and talking and it was.
Speaker 19: She's getting really.
Speaker 15: Not afraid to feed as episode or soul.
Speaker 11: Just let it flow. No one can do we quiet Cary Line his time with Caroline.
Speaker 8: Hey, y'all, it's Caroline Hobby from Get Real with Caroline Hobby.
Speaker 5: And here is a clip from this week's episode.
Speaker 9: Right after high school, went to barber school. And so, how'd you decide to be a barber? You know, I knew I didn't want to go to college. I was like, done with school.
Speaker 5: You're like, it's not for me.
Speaker 9: I was like, I didn't want to do that. I was going to do some kind of a trade. And one of my best friends growing up, I was around on my ton His dad was a barber, and so I always thought that like they always you know, had nice things. And he seemed like he enjoyed his job. You know, every time I was in there getting a haircut, it wasn't like he was working.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was enjoying himself.
Speaker 9: He was just hanging you know.
Speaker 8: So quality of life is important to you, Yeah, and I.
Speaker 9: Just thought like this seems like a you know, pretty chill thing. So I think that's what I got to, you know, my senior year and I was like, I'm told my parents. I was like I want to, you know, go to barber school. And so I went to Bowling Green. They got a good barber school. Yeah, did my got my schooling in there?
Speaker 5: I've actually heard of that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was. It was a good one. That was a fun times.
Speaker 5: It's old people get down at the barber shop.
Speaker 8: Oh man, is it crazy like y'all get wild when you're in barber So barber school is it a secret underground like major party thing? Secret society? Know about like major party thing, but secret society.
Speaker 9: It's funny because I was eighteen and I'm going to school with like.
Speaker 5: All older people. Probably.
Speaker 9: I mean there was you know, people in there obviously, you know their twenties, thirties, forties.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 8: It's a career for all ages and people can come back to it.
Speaker 9: That's right. There was a guy in there that was sixty something coming to learn that had retired and always wanted to be a barber. And so he was sixty years old going to barber school.
Speaker 5: So were you hanging out with him?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, drinking gin on the weekend?
Speaker 2: Handlebar Jerry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was signature.
Speaker 9: Stay was a man. I mean he didn't live long after, but he didn't know he was yeah, we uh handle bar Je had handle bar Jerry. But he got to he lived his dream.
Speaker 5: And that was to become a barber.
Speaker 9: He got to be a barber man, so he did it.
Speaker 5: What's it like a barber school? What are y'all doing? What's the dynamic, what's the vibe?
Speaker 9: So we would roll in like at eight o'clock in the first hour of the day was class, and then there was.
Speaker 8: Like learn all different types of cuts, so you learned specific cuts, so you there's all stylish.
Speaker 5: Cuts too, it's a whole other sub category.
Speaker 9: So you learn. In barber school, you learn everything. The only difference between barber school and beauty school, if it's still this way, was nails. Like barbers didn't have to do it.
Speaker 5: They're not color hair and everything.
Speaker 9: So you could you could color my hair, you wouldn't want me to. I don't think you know how well I mean so as I know, you know, when I was going to barber school, like I wanted to just strictly do like men's.
Speaker 5: Haircuts, okay, and what about shaves?
Speaker 9: We did shaves too.
Speaker 5: Barber shave is like none else.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I would do do that too. But I got about halfway through uh school, and I had dodged having to do a perm like the whole the whole time, and Senior Wednesday was like the third Wednesday of every month or whatever, and all these old ladies would get dropped.
Speaker 5: Old ladies firm. Oh you're gonna have to do a ladies firm.
Speaker 9: They'd get dropped off in this like packs bus, you know the old people buses.
Speaker 5: You're victims.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, oh yeah. The perm. I mean it was like six bucks.
Speaker 5: From a new student.
Speaker 9: They're just trying to help us out.
Speaker 5: You know, that's sweet, donating their hair.
Speaker 9: Oh so we're about I'm about halfway through barber school and I'm like, I'm gonna somehow skate by and not have to do a PERM.
Speaker 5: It's not like on a checklist or something.
Speaker 9: I guess it was because I'm sitting in my barber chair. I'll see that packs bus roll in and I'm like, I'm out here, So I just kind of I'd always just kind of ease up out of my barber chair and i'd head to the back door.
Speaker 5: I'd slip out every time.
Speaker 9: You saw that every time, and if they didn't notice your well it worked for a while.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 9: Chair out there. He our barber instructor.
Speaker 5: He was like, that's would would you go hide in a closet or something?
Speaker 9: Well, there was a back like a back door that there was a patio that you could like, I mean that was kind of our hangout for like outside, and so that's where I just go to that patio and kind of walk around that the side of the building kind of like hang out out there the tree. He figured me out, or my instructor didn't. He he walked out there that day.
Speaker 5: I was imagining you slipping out every.
Speaker 9: Time, so Quie, Oh I did, and he I looked like just glanced over at the window to make sure like he wouldn't come in or whatever. And he was standing there and he was going, the time has come. So this little lady, she was just like she was in there waiting on me. She was just in a little white gown. I mean, she had to be eighty five and she's just sitting there in my chair a little white gown. And uh, I had no clue what I was doing. And she wanted a I didn't even know what this was, but a spiral perm a spiral whatever that is. Still don't know. Oh, no, And so the only thing she told me, you gotta start out. You got to give them shampoo before you do the deal. And so she just the only thing she told me, she said, she said, honey, just just don't get me wet. And I was like, okay, And I was ad at the shampoos anyway.
Speaker 8: So you do the massage like I live for the massage with the nails in the head.
Speaker 5: You're just a fast shampoo.
Speaker 9: I lean her back in that that shampoo, and she says it again, No, don't don't get my clothes wet or anything. I lean her back, you soaker.
Speaker 10: Well, so.
Speaker 9: I thought I had it like sealed good back there. And because you put the towels in the back there, you know, And I'm thinking, I'm just crushing it, like doing.
Speaker 5: Good gentle, got it all in the hair's.
Speaker 9: Not said a word about it, like she's she's cool.
Speaker 20: No.
Speaker 9: She leans up and starts to uh and stands up.
Speaker 5: She's got these little white gown. Is this the ultimate reverse white T shirt contest?
Speaker 9: Yes, she's got a white gown on. And I mean when she stands up, it's just in her little slippers across the floor.
Speaker 5: She sent her for drama.
Speaker 9: I mean, just soaking wet and you can see everything down the fuck. I mean, what did she say? She didn't say a word. She she just walked back to my barbercare, just sat down. Water was dripping off of her gown into the floor, and.
Speaker 5: She was just like, she didn't say nothing to get me what.
Speaker 9: She never complained, never said a word. I sat there for ten minutes with the hair dryer just blowing her off, like just like trying to get get her dry, and she never complained. And then it still it took me another eight hours, I think, to do her parents.
Speaker 5: Did you get the spiral curl at least?
Speaker 14: Well?
Speaker 9: But I had everybody in barber school helping me do it, Like.
Speaker 5: You see, you technically didn't do it.
Speaker 9: People felt bad. They'd walk by and see me struggling and like, help me, how you do it? This is how you did it. So that was like my I dodged it for a long time and then.
Speaker 5: It was and then you had the big moment.
Speaker 9: It was just unbelievable. But you know, she she didn't get upset or.
Speaker 5: Nothing, even though that was her one request.
Speaker 9: That was her one request. Yeah, and I'm sure her perm was awful. You know, even with Hilp it was it was not the.
Speaker 8: So after that moment you decided cutting not currently.
Speaker 9: Oh I knew before though, you knew That's why I was start.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you just have to, I guess do it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, in case a situation comes in where someone's I mean, even I'm desperate for a perm. I don't think I'm gonna go to you.
Speaker 20: Oh yeah, yeah, absolutely not. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, I hope you enjoyed this week's Sunday Sampler movie Mike's Movie podcast Four Things with Amy Brown, The Sore Losers. So many shows. I hope you give them a chance. Check out the episode. Maybe you're interested in subscribe if you can. There's always something new to listen to, whether you like movies or sports, wellness, et cetera.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks subscribe if you can have a great week.
Speaker 1: Bye everybody you st