Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and ever Low in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up.
Speaker 3: Open AI execs U turn and David Sachs says no on a federal backstop to fund AI infrastructure.
Speaker 4: Markets react, Plus Mosk's one trillion dollar compensation package gets approved by TESLRA investors seventy five percent of votes cast in favor.
Speaker 5: We dig into the bold new promises and we.
Speaker 3: Break down more tech earnings with the CEOs of a firm and draftings.
Speaker 4: Later this hour, we go to these markets, though in sell off mode ed on the day and on the week. Over the past five days, we've shed more than four percent in market capitalization. It is the worst weeks in April of the NASDAT.
Speaker 5: One hundred, and anxiety is.
Speaker 4: Really building when it comes to AI infrastructure and whether people have got the money you're digging into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's a story that's played out driving markets. We begin with open AI and Wall streaks, anxiety that followed fresh comments about potential government financing in.
Speaker 2: The AI race.
Speaker 3: Speaking at The Wall Street Journal's Tech conference This Wednesday, Open Ai CFO Sarah Fryer called investors' attention after hinting at a potential government backstop for AI chip investment, to remark interpreted by some as Friar signaling open Ai had federal guarantees for the costly infrastructure behind large AI models. David Sachs the White House, AI and cryptos are seem to be paying attention and posted on X Thursday there will be no federal bailout for AI. The US has at least five major frontier model companies. If one fails, others will take its place. That in turn prompted open ai CEO Sam Altman to step in and clarify on X, writing, we do not have or want government guarantees for open ai data centers, emphasizing that the company is not seeking a federal safety net. Let's get the latest. Bloomberg's AI editor Seth Figgerman joins us, Now, where do we stand? This is a multi day story, markets paid attention to it.
Speaker 2: What's the net result? At least from open AI's perspective.
Speaker 6: Funny here, Ergre, is that really the intention behind Sarah Friar's overall remarks of that event was to kind of calm people's nerves about what has felt like growing anxiety this week on the markets about AI spending, and instead the takeaway was what felt like an off the cuff and vagrant mark that just heightened those concerns. I think where things currently stand as the company has repeated up and down that there's no discussions or plans for any kind of federal backstop. Instead, they're hinting at, well, maybe there's a role for government to invest in its own AI infrastructure that might somehow reduce some of the capital burdens here or other indirect ways in which government could help the wider market. But advice to say, the message that she intended to deliver seems to have been completely lost.
Speaker 4: Sam Altman went to great lengths to try and reverse or to correct in whatever way make clear, and talked about maybe chip manufacturing, if they went into fabrication of chips, that might be an area that they lean on for government input. But what's interesting is we then look at that piece from sam Altman saying that basically they've got one point four trillion dollars of commitments. This is where the market's trying to rab its head around how can they afford that, he's saying, they feel good about their prospects for revenue growth.
Speaker 6: They've big on the defense about this a little bit in recent days, including on a recent podcast where Altman's seemed taken off guard to even be asked that question. What he's trying to stress here is that our revenue is growing much faster than anyone has expected, you know, on pace for twenty billion and annualized run ray, and that we expect that these commitments over a seven or eight year time period are more than achievable based on that revenue growth that I think the overall market is looking at AI spending generally, Mega shares had their worst four day routes since chatgybut launched three years ago. You know, chipstocks are seeing slump right now on valuation concerns. Michael Burry is getting out there the one predicted the housing bubble and and basically pointing out to our graphic on uncircular investments that's center around opening eye across the industry and the markets. There's just really heighten concerned how achievable and sustainable the spending is.
Speaker 4: Megs sethimgan breaking all down. We thank you so much happy weekend. Now we're also watching shares of Nvidia. That's after its CEO Jensen Wang said that the company isn't in active discussions to sell its Blackwell AI chips to Chinese firms, waving off that speculation that it's trying to engineer a return to the world's largest chip maker market. Indeed, Quang explained that he merely intended to point out China's prowess in AI when he said, quote China will win the US China AI race ed.
Speaker 3: Let's look at shares of Tesla down almost four percent. More than seventy five percent of votes from shareholders were in favor approving the one trillion dollar compensation package for Elon Musk that is over ten years and has a very strong set of mandatory milestones he needs to achieve to unlock the comp but also the voting power that comes with it. Let's talk about that with Alexandra Mertz. She's the CEO of LLENF Investor Services, but also a Tesla shareholder who discusses her views about Tesla on social media under the handle Tesla boomer Mamma Mertz was present at the shareholder meeting last night. Was also acknowledged by other shareholders who are reading out a proposal for Tesla to invest in Xai, which we'll get to.
Speaker 2: Alexandra.
Speaker 3: This paves a way for Elon Musk to take his stake in Tesla to twenty five percent over the course of the ten years. Could you just explain what the sentiment was like last night into this morning about how comfortable investors feel handing over that control to Elon Musk and the belief that you do or do not have that he can hit the milestones that have been set for him by the.
Speaker 7: Oh I'm very confident that he will hit the milestones. Has shown us before what is possible. Nothing's never easy, but if you set goals to Elon, he's very competitive. He's obviously, in my views, the best executor there is on this planet, and.
Speaker 5: He will execute.
Speaker 7: So that's not the question. The question is whether we would get sufficient retail and institutional shareholder support, and we should it. Seventy five percent is astoundingly high. It is higher than the previous compensation packages votes and revotes in twenty eighteen and twenty twenty four. So this was a clear victory. I am so grateful for everybody who voted. I would like to see the twenty five percent that voted against it, because how can you be against this if you are a shareholder.
Speaker 2: But that's more of the topic.
Speaker 3: For example, we had the investment director of Calper's on the show yesterday. CalPERS voted no, and the rationale was that in aggregate they saw Elon Musk and board members already having sixteen percent of the company and.
Speaker 2: The issue of key man risk.
Speaker 3: So if Musk does get there right and achieves twenty five percent stake, what if he something happens to him, or what if something distracts him XAI SpaceX for example. That was the concern they had. Why don't you share the concern?
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, that's the same concern at sixteen percent or twenty five percent, right, So that Culpers argument is just nonexistent, even though it's a nice world word salad. There is no doubt in my mind that that's what they try to do. It's not an issue about whether he as a key man.
Speaker 2: Is a risk.
Speaker 7: To test that he is the same way he is the key person, he's also the key man risk. That is just a fact and actually part of the structure of this compensation plan addresses that as the last two tranches are linked to a succession plan, to a more formal succession plan, that what is currently in place. So sixteen or twenty five percent, that's not a question. But at twenty five percent, Elon is sufficiently strong to prevent activist shareholders trying to take over, bringing board members in that are not aligned with Tesla's mission. And I think that is the key point. Retail has always stood with Elon and has always been very active. Knows what this company is about, so that is not the concern. But it is institutional institutional funds that are in Tesla, despite the fact that they don't really like the company, don't understand the company, vote against interest of the company, and that can become stronger just by the pure mechanism of index funds of political activism. And he wants to make sure that that can be prevented. And he's right, and the fact of being in Texas helps a lot. But him getting to twenty five percent obviously.
Speaker 5: Is a good shield.
Speaker 4: But that's exactly the worry is that he does get the twenty five percent control and can fend off activism that might be in some way trying to course correct as others feel outside of Tesla. Why is that You're saying it's a word salad, But for many that's exactly the fear that he has control over what he calls a robot army.
Speaker 7: I understand that, I understand that there is a fear. But ask those activists what is their idea about Tesla? What is their idea about the better world? They never talk about that. They talk about the fact that they fear Elon is too powerful. They never talk about what Tesla is all about. I never hear a culpers or god forbid, a Klaus lewis Iss or the New York Controller talk about the mission of Tesla, talk about where Tesla is going. And you know, I rather, as a shareholder, have Elons have the keys to an army of bots than anybody else, including the four companies I just mentioned.
Speaker 5: We'll put that too coveries.
Speaker 4: I feel that he in many ways was trying to articulate that they are about the long term vision, whether it's about electric vehicles, whether it's about supporting the climate, whether it's about humanoid robots. They just don't think that perhaps another CEO couldn't achieve really significant phenomenal growth.
Speaker 5: For this business.
Speaker 4: Even if it wasn't Enon Musk, Why is he alone the only person who could meet these milestones and drive optimists to.
Speaker 5: Be on the moon on Mars?
Speaker 4: I mean that seemed to be the next area of growth. Was that what you wanted to hear that we're going to have optimists doing surgery but also eventually going to Mars.
Speaker 7: Yes, we should do. We should want to hear that. We also were absolutely excited thinking about chip manufacturing. I don't think that has really gotten through yet to the press, and I Holp Bloomberg is going to talk about it. If Tesla goes into chip manufacturing, can you imagine? So I would like to ask culpers, show me one other CEO would it even have for what Elon has accomplished? If you show me one where you would have the feeling that that person could do something even comparable. I am ready to sit down and discuss it with him, but we've got to wait for a long time.
Speaker 3: Alexandro I would push back a little bit because I wrote the story about Elon's comments from the Earning School about clarifying the Samsung TSMC relationship, and I sent the headline last night about his comments on chip manufacturing. So I'm going to look into it. I need to ask you about Xai. You were in the room and were waiting on the eight K. What appeared to happen was Brendan Arhart, the corporate secretary, say, there were more four votes than against, but a very large number of abstentions, and so they're basically reserving the right to wait, look at the non binding proposal and go back to it. Is that your understanding of where things stand, and also just your reaction to it because you were involved in the process of getting that proposal on the docket.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, well, thank you very much. Yes, very good question. And as you point out, we haven't seen the eight K yet, so I don't have the underlying numbers, but I know exactly what happened. The's recommendation was neutral. They did not give a recommendation. Lots of retail shareholders just follow blindly the board's recommendation. So by going after the board's recommendation instead of voting none, they abstained. That is the logical way, and that's actually how it is automated. We had this issue with a Norwegian bank who gave their shareholders only a certain limited number of options to vote, and then the shareholders from Norway, which are very numerous interests, I could not vote for question six. They were abstaining. So abstaining was also just a consequence of the way the proxy was laid out, and there was no better choice. It was a bad choice to not be able to give a guidance, but there was another choice. Because what the board is trying to do here, and we have to understand why that is, is to stay out of it until they get a clear mission from the shareholders. Why are they doing that well, because it is a conflicted situation. Elon is the key man in both Xai and Tesla, and as Solar City has shown us, it is always difficult to invest from one company A into a company B that are both led by the same by the same key person. So the board tries to stay out of it until there is a clear mission. Now we have to see the eight K numbers to understand whether this is now a clear call from shareholders to do it. If there were so many stains, it may not be. But you also have to know that this shareholder proposal number seven was always only advisory. It was never that this vote would have been an automatic investment. If the board now convinced that they want to invest, we will certainly have another shareholder vote on the exact proposal of investment, not just on the general idea.
Speaker 4: Pushing us forward and with great energy after what was a pretty extraordinary day the annual General Meeting yesterday. You were there, We saw all the dancing. Alexandra maz We love catching up with you. Thank you, a shareholder known non social.
Speaker 5: As Tesla Booma Mamma.
Speaker 4: Now coming up, Grand Theft Auto six, it hits another bump in the road. We'll discuss why the latest title in the popular video game franchise is being delayed again.
Speaker 5: This is a Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 4: Srees of Take two having their worst day since February twenty twenty four, down almost eight percent. Yesterday, the video game publisher pushed back the release of Grand Theft Auto Six again until November twenty twenty six. Let's walk through this of Bluebog's games reporter Jason Schreier. Basically, it's going to be a year late. Now, Why this second pushback? What's going on with Rock Start?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean video games are complicated. To make this is going to be one of the biggest video games of all time, will probably be the best selling entertainment product of all time, and so the pressure is very high Rockstar and take two. They want this game to be as perfect as part. They wanted to hit ninety five plus in Metacritic, that's the review score aggregator. And yeah, in these games the.
Speaker 3: Time I get that, you know, wanting to hit ninety five plus on Metacritic. What you just said about it probably being the biggest entertainment title to sell of all time, go back to GTA five and explain the data that tells us this might be worth waiting for. From Take Two's perspective, they want to get this right. From a sales point of view.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's a simple number here, which is that GTA five, the last game in the series, which was released in twenty thirteen, has sold two hundred and twenty million units, which I mean, that's more. This one game alone has sold more than most franchises Final Fantasy Assassin's Creed. This makes it the second best selling game of all time, only only second to Minecraft, which was released on phone. So that's kind of a different a different playing field. So yeah, I mean, the sixth are very high. And again I think that people tend to underestimate how difficult it is to make games, especially a game as big and ambitions and technologically impressive as this one. I mean, we've seen the trailers, We've seen what.
Speaker 2: It looks like.
Speaker 8: It looks more realistic than any game we've ever seen. It's going to have a huge open world. The people at Rucks are just are still working on it, still making new stuff for it, still building this world and fixing bugs and ed. You know well that games like Cyberpunk have come out in recent years and needed more time in the oven and came out too early, and that is just disastrous for the companies involved.
Speaker 3: City and they needed patch after patch. But I still went back and played it from the start after the patch. Bloombergs Jason Schreyer, thank you very much. Okay, Sticking with gaming, A quick update. In the Google versus Epic Game case, a federal judge is withholding approval of Google's anti trust settlement with Epic Games. The company says it will improve the distribution and monetization of apps on Android foes, but US District Judge James Donato says he wants to look closer at the terms of a deal first to make sure it benefits consumers and boosts competition.
Speaker 2: Caro.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, we've got a lot still to digest.
Speaker 4: We speak with a firm holding CEO Max Levchin on the lates's earnings results.
Speaker 5: That's a bit big tech.
Speaker 3: Shares of a firm off session highs up about five percent at one point in the session up almost twelve percent. The company posting a first quarter earning speed, But really the focus is on it raising its twenty twenty six forecast for gross merchandise volume, but it sets us up for an incredible fiscal twenty six. Joining us on set is Max Levchin at firm CEO. There's a lot of emphasis, at least from Bloomberg Intelligence in house on card and that driving volumes. But what we've learned across this early period in your domain is it's worth spending a minute on the underlying behaviors of your consumers that drove this growth in the quarter.
Speaker 9: What are you seeing so despite the vibe session we're seeing in a market today in the last few days, a firm's consumer is really healthy. They're shopping, they're buying, they're paying their bills. They're energized by the upcoming holidays. I think, frankly, the rumors of the American consumer's death are greatly exaggerated.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because, like different segments of the technology sector tell different stories right now, is there a specific product category or method of spending that is is demonstrating that more than others.
Speaker 9: I think we are quite unique in the sense a firm's brand A promise really is use us when it matters to you, because you'll have total control and great degree of transparency. And as the outside pressures, you know, even the stories you read wagh people down, it's easy to say, you know what Affirm is at least one thing that's going to keep me clear and in good control. And so we think people are coming to us a little bit more. Certainly, we saw great demand for our recent zero day promotion, but you know, I think so far, so good, at least in the Affirm consumer world.
Speaker 4: The funny thing is max sometimes the market likes to see use of Affirm or maybe more standard by now pay later offerings as the VIBE session.
Speaker 5: Is that not the case?
Speaker 9: You know, we have twenty four more than sway from a million active consumers last quarter. At this point, it's really dangerous to just say, oh, the affirm consumer is doing X or Y. We have quite a number of segments. Folks that are using our zero pcent promotions are typically leaning into just frankly, saving money, getting a great deal. Folks that favor longer terms to repay care a lot less about total costs, very much care about individual calf flow, and so depending on sort of which segment you look at, you'll see a slightly different behavior. I think the unifying factor is they're all getting a really clear deal. There are no late fees, there's no gimmis, there's no gotchas, and that that's.
Speaker 4: The way they keep coming back to us and why you keep seeing growth merchandise volumes going up and to the right. What's interesting is your partnership model and it really works what Amazon, Shopify, Apple, Costco.
Speaker 5: Where else do the partnerships make sense?
Speaker 9: Max, you know, to be honest, everywhere. We just announced a really strong push into services. So for a long time you would think of buying out palliator as a thing you buy and pay over time, people buy more than things. They remodel their kitchens, they refurbish various parts of their house and which announced the great partnership with Service Titan are a variety of other platforms, so we partner very widely because this model really works for any purchase, you know, anything from a couple hundred dollars all the way out of two thousands.
Speaker 5: What about you leaning into the moment?
Speaker 4: There is a lot of competition and smaller scale, and many times you stand out because they're more dependent on late fees and other such charges.
Speaker 5: Would you do any m and A? Is this the environment in which you'd look to do that?
Speaker 9: You know, I think our current growth tracks so well, I'm not sure. I have a lot of time to consider and able to, you know, never saying obviously we're doing really well. The company is performing. I always found that building is my strong suit. But you know who knows.
Speaker 3: Max This earning season, we've had the opportunity to speak to the CEOs of Chime Robinhood so far and now you I appreciate their differences in those companies, but in how people transact with money, what you will have in common is looking at varied products that you offer. What is your new product strategy going into twenty six and do you have any sort of ideas about this generational wealth transfer that all the others are.
Speaker 2: Going on about at the moment.
Speaker 9: You know, I think we are a payment company first and foremost. Our job is to be there, be available. You know, we talk a lot about there are many doors digital and real world where they're lots of little logos of payment systems. Our job is to be on every door, to be available, to make sure we are there to serve when people are buying goods and services. And so we're very, very focused on executing what we have. You know, forty two percent doesn't come easy, and we write book you trying to hit really good growth. You know, I've learned the hard way not to pronounce new products. We have all sorts of really exciting things we're cooking. You know, have me back and I'll announce it.
Speaker 2: But it's ready to go fair enough.
Speaker 4: Beaten raised trajectory Sabloom, meg Intelligence, is it, Max Levchin, we appreciate it if I'm CEO.
Speaker 8: Six.
Speaker 10: Then finally, on the twenty twenty five CEO Performance Award to our founder and CEO Elon Musk, with over seventy five percent voting in favor, Hop Road.
Speaker 3: That was Brandon Eh reading the results of test, the shelled about Yeah. Today, the company's corporate secretary and general counsel, and as we've been discussing, Musk's pay package, worth potentially up to a trillion dollars was approved today. The shares, however, are lower by four percent. Is that sell the news? Is there something in reaction to the vote itself? Not SURECARC that's.
Speaker 5: Got an invest to take.
Speaker 4: Then we bring in Gene Monthster, managing partner at Deepwater Asset Management.
Speaker 5: Thrilled to have you on.
Speaker 4: So much to talk about, but the seventy five percent is a lot, but there also comes some significant milestones and also then talk of fifty percent growth in car production by the end of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: Can he make that, Gene.
Speaker 11: Now, The simple answer is that probably not. But that's what Elon did. A master class is as ultimately is throwing a ball out there that is difficult to achieve, but he has the wherewith to do that.
Speaker 2: And so that ball you.
Speaker 11: Talked about, the production piece, this fifty percent, He puts that target out there, but then he adds these kind of qualqualifiers that say that yes, we can do it, but we can only move as fast as the slowest part of the production chain that pipeline to get them to build the whole capacity, to get them to build capacity. And separately, when he thinks about Optimists and what the potential is there, I mean, this is something that he outlined as a kind of a five year ten year plan, but it is ultimately something that you know, getting the ten million robots here, I just want to put that in a perspective. Ten million a year. They're doing two million cars a year and they really got moving in earnest on the car production in twenty nineteen, and so it's taken them six years to get to two million. These are huge targets and Caroline at the most basic level, he put big targets out there. That's what he does, and that's the mandate that investors gave him with this vote of this pay package is they want these big targets out there, and he's delivering on that, whether it's the production or the commentary about optimists.
Speaker 5: Best is excited. Your dog's excited.
Speaker 4: Gene interested about what therefore he has to do to keep up with the momentum. Now, because look, let's just ask your basic question. Many were worried about a twenty five percent ownership for Elon because of the control. Not so much the one trillion dollar pay package. It's more about that he's going to be controlling a robot army. Is that something you want to see that generally society wants to see.
Speaker 11: Well, that's what he wants control. And the answer is no. One wants an army of robots to be controlled by one person. But most seventy five percent plus of Tesla investors want a company that's building that to be controlled by one person or controlled by Elon, And I think that that makes sense. Elon has been very clear that if he wants to build this army, if he wants to build this AI vision company, he doesn't want to be pushed out. He also left open the option for him to get pushed out, in his words, if I go insane, and so I think that's an important distinction too. He has, But that doesn't mean that he's going to be a tussle forever.
Speaker 3: I think going back to basics is really critical here, Gene. So there's the mechanics of what happened the vote past. The package was approved, and then Elon Musk spoke afterwards, and he actually gave some information that relates directly to the milestones the company is set. So in the middle there, we're saying the board is tasking him over ten years to deliver twenty million vehicles.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: He told us in his remarks that twenty twenty six would see fifty percent annualized growth. That was something material, was it not?
Speaker 11: He said fifty percent in yourized growth. But then he put the caveat if the if the supply chain can provide the components to get them to increase the capacity about that much. It's a similar caveat that happens when he says we're going to have Autonomy full first approved in one or two months. That was his comments yesterday, pending regulatory approval.
Speaker 12: And so.
Speaker 11: I'm a shareholder of Tesla. I think that this company is grossly undervalued. That may sound like it's out of touch with reality, that comment, but I think it's grossly undervalued. But I also am realistic about what goes on here. There's this these targets that could put out there, but then there's these caveats that are out of his control that will be put on any sort of Some of these really big targets.
Speaker 3: You noted, as many have done, Musk's comments on Silicon, and it was a throwaway comment that the idea that Tesla might do its own fab Are you taking that seriously?
Speaker 11: So I'm not taking it seriously. I think that you know, Elon wants to make a point, and the point is I think he's frustrated about what he is paying for Silicon. If you look at all of his enterprises, SpaceX XAI, Tesla, Neuralink, all those combined, the biggest line item on those outside of people is around Silicon. I mean, there's he spends a ton of money on that. What he talked about here is having similar performance as Blackwell and videos black Ole GPU at a ten percent.
Speaker 2: Of the cost.
Speaker 11: You think that that's doable, And I just want to kind of put that to the test. Is that kind of performance, that kind of costs performance is something that is I think unrealistic at least for the next few years. It's the same reason why in Nvidia has been so bullish on their business is that these customers would love to find an alternative, whether it's through customs, Silicon or through AMD for example. But the reality is is that in Nvidia still is the best bang for the buck when it comes to silicon, and that's a very expensive buck in this case. So I think that I generally don't think Tesla is going to or should do their own fab. I think twenty billion dollars can be spent in much better places. He kind of threw the lifeline out there. Maybe we work through Intel has been a challenging road for Intel on the fab side, and building a fab advances fab is really tough. These advanced nodes are very tough, and Intel's never shown they were competent in that.
Speaker 4: Gene broadened that out therefore, because the whole market has a lot of anxiety on its shoulders right now around the build out a generative AI infrastructure. Now, in particular, we saw at sam Altman trying to navigate what had become a bit of a explosion that the CFO had set off on Wednesday by saying maybe they'd looked to some sort of government to support for their infrastructure spend. Sam Altman came out and said, look, the only way when one government support is perhaps if we became a fabricator of chips. But what do you make about the weight that is currently on this market about vindicating one point four trillion dollars spending by a company that's making maybe twelve billion, call it, maybe even twenty billion a year in terms of revenue.
Speaker 11: So there is a switch that flipped since the end of October. I think it was like the twentieth of October is when Jensen came out and said that video is going to essentially beat the expectation by fifteen percent plus over the next five quarters. He put out this five hundred billion dollars in Blackwell revenue, and that was a really big point. And then we had the hyperscalers, and then this conversation started to shift. There's a change in terms of how the AI investor is thinking about this, and this shift is this sense of like, wow, maybe this is just getting to be too much. We saw what happen with MetaStock, and then on top of that, Sarah Fry and the Sam Altman and the Golden or the Wall Street Journal event, all that kind of I think you put all this together and there all of a sudden, this vortex of what's really going on here, whether it's the government piece, whether it's the expectations that VIDIA has about how much they're going to sell over the next few quarters, whether it's Meta saying how much they're going to spend and Amazon, it just feels like there's investors are now at a point where they're uncomfortable that they don't believe that this ultimately is going to be prosper There's going to be a press around this investment, and so I think that's the shift we've seen. That's why I think we've seen sell off in these companies. The fundamentals are rock solid. Opening Eye doesn't need government support, there's no question, but there's a psychology piece to this trade, and I think it's just gotten softened by some of these conversations. Just too many moving parts now for our investors. That will settle down once they start to see the December quarter results and understand that in fact, we are still early in this AI build out.
Speaker 3: Gem Monster managing partner at Deepwater Asset Management. Great to have you back on the show, Thank you very much. Coming up, we're going to be joined by Draft Kings CEO Jason Robbins following the company's earnings and it's new deal with Disney.
Speaker 2: More on that next. This has been bag Tech.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our TV and radio audiences worldwide. We head back to earnings with Draft Kings out with every Results, cutting its revenue forecast for the full year. The company also out though, with news that Disney signed a new multi year deal to make the Sports Betting Company the official betting site and odds provider for the ESPN Sports Network. Let's bring in Draftking CEO Jason Robbins. It's an interesting partnership and I think that's where we should start. How much does this move the needle for you? You know, we've talked in the past on this program, Jason with you about the integration of the live sports event and the broadcast with the betting activity.
Speaker 2: Your big picture goal with this deal. Well, first of all.
Speaker 13: ESPN is a you know, iconic brand. It's you know, by far the biggest name in sports in the United States, and they have an incredible portfolio, unmatched portfolio of sports content, influencers, talent. So it's really, you know, for us, just the greatest partner you can have when you're in the space we're in and Jimmy Pataro runs it really understands in I think, values the sports betting space and understands that the customer overlap is high, and it's important that they engage their customers by being partnered with somebody like Drafting, so really excited.
Speaker 2: To embark on it.
Speaker 13: We've been partners with them many times in the past, so it's familiar territory. We know all the people there and we're looking forward to working together. And you add that to our deals with NBC, Universal and Amazon and others, we have an unmatched I think, presence across the sports landscape over the next several years prediction markets.
Speaker 3: Wednesday night, we were with Robin Hood at their in person earning school.
Speaker 2: That was wacky.
Speaker 3: Don't know if you consider that, but the month of October massive volumes for them. You're being super thoughtful about predictions. I understand that, and you have a clear strategy. My question has always been how much a growth in a nascent predictions market cannibalizes other offerings that you have.
Speaker 2: I think very little.
Speaker 13: If you look at the UK, for example, exchange based is about five percent of the total pie, so you know that's probably about right. And I think a lot of it is largely incremental because they're market makers and others that are not present on traditional sports books to generate a lot of the volume. So I think it's very much an incremental opportunity for us, and that's why.
Speaker 2: We're so excited about it.
Speaker 13: We acquire real Bird and we're also looking to you know, enter the market sometime in the next couple months.
Speaker 4: What's interesting, Jason is investors analysts out there called out on the actual earning script talking about how marketing expenses, higher sales expenses did eat into the results, and they call them also some ugly outcomes when it comes to the sports games for that you can't control. But what about the expenses you're going to have to have on the predictions markets.
Speaker 13: Well, we do plan to make some investment there. We mentioned this on the call that we're going to be more i think conservative in terms of the paybacks we're looking for, just given how nis in a space it is and the fact that you know, it's unclear kind of how this will all play out, but we are going to make some investment there. First, of course, and getting a product developed and making sure that that's the best in class. You can't win, and we've always said this product is the most important thing. You can't win if you don't have a great product. And then assuming that the numbers check out, will spend marketing Accordingly, We're going to be very data driven like we always are, and everything we will.
Speaker 2: Test into it.
Speaker 13: But we did want to make sure as we guided that we were thoughtful about giving the team some space to be able to accelerate spend if the numbers look good.
Speaker 4: And therefore the guide did pull back rather than uplift going forward.
Speaker 5: Jason, but you say it's conservative.
Speaker 4: You talk about an incremental opportunity from predictions, and I'm really interested as to how you make sure this doesn't cannibalize what you already.
Speaker 5: Have out there.
Speaker 4: You've talked a lot about how this might actually make more states accessible to sports better because at the moment you can get fifty states with this predictions market, but what you've got twenty five at the moment for your offering, and you're about to have and you also have DC and then you're adding Missouri.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, I think you're exactly right that this will hopefully lead more states to decide that they might as well legalize sports betting. It's I think predictions are a powerful talking point for that, because you know, same as the illegal market, same as anything in this case, it's regulated, but the bottom line is it's activity that's already happening in the state at some level that they are not directly benefiting from and regulating. So I do think that'll motivate some states, But for us, really the cannibalization thing isn't a huge concern. We haven't seen that happen, not just here, but as I mentioned, overseas where there's long established I mean, it's not a brand new thing like it is here. There's been predictions and sports exchanges around for decades in the UK, for example, So we feel like there's pretty good data out there to show that head to head, the traditional sports betting product is a much far superior product for customers.
Speaker 3: Jason, you said that this is the most bullish you've ever felt about the company's future. What are the underlying trends, data points, behaviors of your customer? Is that give you that conviction? Why do you have it now that you didn't have previously?
Speaker 13: Well, I think if you take a step back, you know, it really starts with the progress that we've made over the last few years in the position we put ourselves in. Remember two years ago, we weren't even profitable. Three years ago, we had nearly a billion dollar adjusted EBIT to loss. At that point, you know, we were getting killed in the market because people thought we were going to run out of money and go out of business. We really buckled down, we grew revenues, we managed costs, and you know, just a few years later we've had an over billion and a half swing. So I think that shows that we are in a great position. But also more importantly now we're in a position to play offense. We are profitable, we have scale, we have the best product in the market, we have the absolute best partnerships and presence across the media landscape. We're about to launch Sports Predictions, which I believe represents a huge incremental opportunity for us. So a lot of really exciting things going on, and the only real negative on the quarter was the sport outcomes. I think think all the stereover predictions is kind of nonsense, but the really only negative sport outcomes. But that's a temporary thing, that's not something that has anything to do with the fundamentals of the business.
Speaker 3: Draftking CEO Jason Robbins, thank you very much, Caroline.
Speaker 4: Well it's time now for talking tech ed first up Bitcoin when it's fallen as much as twelve percent of per cent so far this week on trap for its worst weekly performances all the way back in March. Since spite of President Trump's push to cement US as the world's crypto epicenter, the market value of the digital assets is now lower than I Need took office Plus China when it's allowing Dutch chip maker and Nick Sperior to export again from its operations in the country. This sets the stage for the Netherlands government to kind of back down and suspend its powers over the Chinese own company after a conflict that had threatened to disrupt global automotive production and Apple's streaming service when it went down briefly for some users last night, shortly after the debut of the widely.
Speaker 5: Anticipated pluribus It's a new series from the Career or are breaking bad?
Speaker 11: Look?
Speaker 5: This came and a bad time for Apple, which build plur.
Speaker 4: Of us as one of the major exclusive attractions at We're at a time when consumers are more cost conscious than ever. Brands well, they're racing to meet them where they actually shop. Creator commerce platform LTK is expanding to include brand profiles, giving companies a new way to connect directly with value driven shoppers within the creator community.
Speaker 5: For more Ammaven's Box. LTK co found it joins us.
Speaker 4: Now it's really interesting because you have what I think forty million monthly users globally on LTK. But they come because they're creators, their favorite creator is they're telling them, advising them on what they could purchase. Why is therefore Nike putting itself there as a brand individually?
Speaker 12: You know, LTK is the single largest creator commerce platform.
Speaker 5: We have thirty percent of Gen.
Speaker 12: Z and millennial women in the US using the platform. There's spending every sixty seconds. Let's see, they're going I think sixty people shopping every second. They're buying eleven thousand dollars with a product every single minute.
Speaker 5: That's six billion a year.
Speaker 12: That's the equivalent of an Eras tour every single quarter. There's a lot of demand here and that's only growing by a billion since twenty twenty four. You're seeing that consumers are rotating their trust directly into creators. That creator trust is up over twenty percent year over year, and brands want to have more opportunity to reach their customer on the platform where they are today. So just this week, we've had brands like you mentioned, whether it's Nike Target in the beauty category, Alta, Sephora, Tart on the sport and athletic, it's Alo, it's Nike gets Adidas, huge global brands launching their presence on the LTK social app to be able to meet creators and their audiences in a high trust environment.
Speaker 5: That's so unique right now. So what are they actually doing? I went onto the Nike offering for example, and the moment.
Speaker 4: It looks like they're getting creative content and sort of putting it onto their own landing.
Speaker 5: How will they differentiate do you think going forward?
Speaker 12: Yeah, so this is a whole new experience. This doesn't exist anywhere else. What we've done is we've launched a platform where these brands can come in and see all the content that's being written about them on the LTK platform. So that's been about seven million pieces of original content just on the LTK platform alone from these.
Speaker 5: Creators year over year.
Speaker 12: So for example, Nike would come in, they see all the content written about them, they can curate for their audience, their favorite creators and the best content talking about the products that they love. So if I'm a Nike fan, not only can I go through my favorite creators to find that product, but I can just search Nike, follow Nike and see the things that they are curating. So brands are not creating the content on LTK. It's still creator driven, but they are able to curate it, which is giving their audience really another path to discovery. On the LTK app we found that one in five searches has.
Speaker 5: A brand name.
Speaker 12: So people might be looking for like Nike running shoes, maybe they're looking for Abercrombie Dnum, they're looking for a Christmas tree from Target. We see that happening one in five times, and so this gives our brands the opportunity to have a little bit more influence over the curation of what that customer ultimately sees. By following that brand, it takes a little further because what's unique on LTK is when you follow someone, it actually means something. Our following feed means that you get to choose that content that shows up and when they want to meet their customers every day. That's a really important part of building community. It's something that is unique to LTK given the age of AI and algorithms, but very.
Speaker 3: Quickly we had thirty seconds. You have rich data about behaviors in September and October. Is the consumer healthy through your data?
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 12: We're seeing that they're spending average order values up seven percent year over year on LTK. They're spending almost a billion more this year than they did last year. The biggest shift on the consumer side is that they are expecting for out of stock products. So we saw search for gifting gope over three hundred percent in September, more than half of those in our consumer studies. So they expect for creators to help them source alternative the products. This is a huge shift because last year it was all about price. This year it's all about in stock. We're excited to help our brands navigate this. D're all new, all in one creator platform that's completely free for brands that we've just launched, where they're paying for success, not access.
Speaker 5: It's bring it all together for them this year.
Speaker 3: Amber Ven'sbox LTK co founder, Thank you very much. Sadly that does it for the edition of Bloomberg Tech. Check out the podcast you know where to find it. Happy Friday. This is Bloomberg Tech