Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's America's only source for news. This is the Daily Joke with your host Daisy Line.
Speaker 3: Welcome.
Speaker 4: We got pretty much to talk about tonight.
Speaker 5: The Holy Land might be turning into Sin City, Donald Trump is back in the eviction business, and Michael Costa really needs to use the Starbucks bathroom. But first, let's kick things off with another installment of the Second Coming of Donald J.
Speaker 4: Trump.
Speaker 6: I'm going to come.
Speaker 5: Every day since Trump came into office, he bombards us with ridiculous policies. We go crazy trying to keep up with them, and before we can catch our breath, he hits us with something else even more absurd. It is exhausting and unsustainable. So starting today, no more of that. Okay, no more. I have a whole script here, full of important issues that I want to talk about, and I'm not going to let Donald Trump distract me with some crazy new idea.
Speaker 1: This morning, a stunning proposal from an American president, Donald Trump, with the Israeli Prime Minister by his side, declaring that the US will take over the Gaza Strip.
Speaker 7: Will take over the Gaza Strip we'll own it.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me just ask what and also what.
Speaker 8: President Trump made a surprising suggestion last night during a press conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Nett and Yahoo the United States.
Speaker 9: He said should.
Speaker 8: Take over the war torn Gaza Strip and redevelop it into something like a seaside resort.
Speaker 7: We have an opportunity to do something that could be phenomenal. And I don't want to be cute. I don't want to be a wise guy. But the riviera of the Middle East.
Speaker 4: What the fuck.
Speaker 5: Trump is going to turn Gaza into the riviera. He couldn't even turn Atlantic City into a nicer Atlantic City.
Speaker 4: If anything, they tore down so many of his casinos.
Speaker 5: He turned to Atlantic City into Gaza. But okay, he wants to rebuild it, and he wants to turn it into Marrow Lago. At least that Palestinians will have a place to go back to.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump calling for the permanent resettlement of roughly two million Palestinians.
Speaker 7: I don't think people should be going back to Gaza. I think that Guz has been very unlucky for them.
Speaker 1: And he says he's willing to use the US military to.
Speaker 7: Do it will do what is necessary. If it's necessary, we'll.
Speaker 5: Do that, Okay, Just so I'm clear, your idea is to take over Gaza, rebuild it into mar A Lago, and make sure that the Palestinians who live there can't go back. That is the craziest thing he said since yesterday and until tomorrow, even as chief.
Speaker 4: Of staff was shocked. Look at her face.
Speaker 5: She looks just like she won Best Country Album at the Grammy.
Speaker 4: And of course she's shocked.
Speaker 5: He's effectively advocating for ethnic cleansing.
Speaker 4: Who could possibly be okay with that?
Speaker 10: You see things others refuse to see. You say things others refuse to say, and on. After the jaws drop, people scratch their heads and they say, you.
Speaker 4: Know, he's right.
Speaker 5: No, they usually scratch their heads and they say, what the fuck are you talking about? Of course, Phoebe is ecstatic at Trump's idea.
Speaker 4: Look at him.
Speaker 5: He looks happy beer than a teenager getting a hand job in the back of a birthright bus. But bb aside, this proposal is giving a lot of people whiplash. Trump ran his whole campaign on America first, and now he's out there chanting from the Riviera to the sea. Even Trump's Republican allies aren't on board, although of course they have to let him down easy.
Speaker 11: We're trying to get the details of it.
Speaker 10: There was a surprise and development.
Speaker 9: Senator Josh Howley says, quote, I don't know that.
Speaker 12: I think it's the best use of US resources to spend a bunch of money in Gaza.
Speaker 4: We also heard from Senator Lindsay Graham.
Speaker 5: I think most South Carolinians would probably not be excited about sending Americans to take over Gaza.
Speaker 4: I think that might be problematic.
Speaker 13: Tom tillis likely with the quote of a night which was there are probably a couple kinks in that slinking.
Speaker 4: There's a couple kinks in that slinking.
Speaker 5: That's how desperate these guys are to not openly disagree with Trump.
Speaker 4: They're just making up sayings now.
Speaker 5: Of course, some of his supporters, like Steve Doocey, are trying to give Trump the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 9: It was a jaw dropper last night.
Speaker 4: The cover of the New York Post is will take over Gaza. I think this is just the typic.
Speaker 11: You know, this is the conversation starter, because obviously the president knows when he says.
Speaker 4: We'll take Gaza.
Speaker 11: He knows the United States can't invade another country.
Speaker 5: Of course, America would never invade another country. You can read all about it in Steve Doocey's American history book Me Just Got Lobotomy by Steve jucy.
Speaker 4: So to summarize MAGA.
Speaker 5: People think this is dicey, their eyeballs think it's batshit crazy. And the entire plan is doa unless Trump can do some real outreach to the countries in the Middle East. And based on his response to reporters from Afghanistan, I don't think he has the skills to do it.
Speaker 9: I guess.
Speaker 5: As any expectation from you, Do you have any plan to change Afghanistan situation?
Speaker 7: I have a little hard time understanding you. Where are you from? Actually it's a beautiful voice and a beautiful accent. The only problem is I can't understand the word you're saying. But I just say this, good luck, live in peace.
Speaker 4: Good luck, live in peace. Why does he sound.
Speaker 5: Like he's saying goodbye to et the people of earth? Wish you peace. May your slinky have no kinks. For more on Trump and Gaza, let's go live to the White House with Jordan, clipper Jordan, is there something I'm missing? This plan just seems crazy.
Speaker 11: Maybe it's not crazy. Maybe it's so good it sounds crazy, Desi. Maybe it's time to think outside the box. You know, they say it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
Speaker 9: But what if we did neither?
Speaker 11: You know, that's outside the box thinking.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, but what's been proposed is a war crime.
Speaker 4: Have you considered that.
Speaker 11: I'm desperately trying not to, Desi. I'd rather not contemplate American culpability here. So let's just think of this as the brain storming phase. No bad ideas?
Speaker 4: How about it? Two state solution, bad idea?
Speaker 11: Okay, come on, Desi, let's be serious here. You don't want to drive the Palestinians out, Fine, we'll drive them up. Put the entire Gaza strip on ten foot stilts, create a bunk bed situation. Palestinian's on top, sing a lullaby, so the israelis below. You know who says no to the top bunk No what?
Speaker 5: But the framework for a two state solution already exists. There's no need for displacement.
Speaker 11: Don't think of it as displacement, especially if you're a prosecutor at the Hague. Instead, how about this, how about this, Let's get some cruise ships and the Palestinians can explore the world. After a few years, they can come back refreshed with one of those little Jamaican hair braids, maybe a weird French accent whenever they say cross you know, Collin elevators lift saw that bullshit?
Speaker 4: Okay, but then they go back to live in Gaza.
Speaker 11: No, then they get right back on the boat, you know, another trip around the world, hair braids for all.
Speaker 4: What was so wrong with the two state solution idea? O?
Speaker 9: What daisy?
Speaker 11: If that idea existed the whole time, then what's happening right now would make us the bad guys.
Speaker 9: So let's just keep spitballing.
Speaker 11: Okay, here's one. We take every Israeli and Palestinian and surgically swap their faces.
Speaker 4: Now they don't know who's who you know?
Speaker 11: Are you my wife or my neighbor? I can't tell kts will have to live in peace?
Speaker 4: Are you pitching face off for the Middle Ages?
Speaker 11: Do you have a better idea from a Nick Cage movie that doesn't make us complicit? In war crimes.
Speaker 5: I guess we could get the Palestinians to fall in love with Shaer. No, no, you're dragging me into this.
Speaker 11: No, I don't know what else to do, Desi, Maybe Ai is the solution.
Speaker 4: How would AI be the solution?
Speaker 11: That's the first thing we'll ask Ai.
Speaker 5: Okay, No, that's no, that's it.
Speaker 4: Brainstorming is over.
Speaker 5: These are all stupid and like it or not, bulldozing Gaza and kicking out everyone there is not a real solution. It's cruel, It doesn't make us safer, and it will undeniably make us look like the villains of history.
Speaker 11: You know what, Desi, You might be right, but hear me out. What if Palestinian stole the Declaration of Independence?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 5: Give them Patty here hi for everyone and make on that Michael Costa will pull us how to make that shedder throw over?
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: If you want honest and rigorous financial news, then go eat a dick.
Speaker 4: But if you want to get.
Speaker 5: Rich, then you want Michael Costa and another installment of Costa Doing Business.
Speaker 9: Yeah, baby, I'm Michael Costa and this is the Costa Doing Business where I teach you how to make fat stacks of stinking cash. So tonight's segment is sponsored by Men's Swear House, the first members only club for guys who love to curse. Men's Swear House. You're gonna shit the way you've now. Full disclosure, I'm a part time owner and we aren't doing well. Now that's all the reason to make a little badly needed Monday, starting with the super Bowl this Sunday. I don't know about you, but I plan on watching the game Ebeneezer's screwge style, peering into my coworker's window while he cares for a sick child. It's gonna be fun. And thanks to Big Daddy Trump making Mexico bend the knee, I'm gonna be turning some green mash into that green cash.
Speaker 4: Hit me.
Speaker 8: Trump struck a last minute deal with Mexico putting a thirty day pause on those tariffs.
Speaker 6: Avocados are gonna sell a lot in the next week. It's what Sunday, the super Bowl. So if that tariff it hit, but the retail price would have jumped up at least twenty five percent, and everybody's guacamole would have been that much more expensive.
Speaker 9: E g whahwag Canasia spotel dinetto by a bibliothek. Guy's right, No tariffs means avocados are going to be flying off the shelves faster than speedy gunzales. But you should be bullish on all things guaca. Of course, I'm I bought thousands of out of avocados thinking there would definitely be a trade war. So now Daddy's got a U hole full of avocados parked in secaccus and let me tell you something, They're rotten pretty fast, which reminds me. This segment is sponsored by Miguel Costa's Brown Guac. Okay, it's as tasty as it is brown. I knew you would love it. Moving on, it's been a crazy week in the market and my phone is to Chi chingin off his his his hook. There's a trade war, there's not a trade war. The market's up, it's down. But as as I but as I always say, volatility means profitility that phrases coined, and with panic in the air, no company is capitalizing on that more than daddy. Starbucks, I said, hit me, you now need to buy something at Starbucks if you want to use the bathroom or just.
Speaker 4: Hang out there.
Speaker 6: Starbucks CEO says the goal is to bring back the coffee house vibe that's diminished in recent years.
Speaker 9: Hell yeah, starby more. Places need to do stuff like this to fight loitering, like my local park. Hey buddy, buy a tree or get the fuck out.
Speaker 10: All right, but.
Speaker 9: Seriously, this is a genius new business model. People need to take dumps. So what do you do? Make them buy coffee, which, guess what makes them need to take a dump more, which means they need to buy another coffee.
Speaker 11: Get it.
Speaker 9: Next thing you know, they're four hundred coffee dumps deep, living in a tent outside the Starbucks bathroom. That's why I'm raising this. Move a mikeykey, Okay, now yeah, moving on a mikey Likely one of the biggest stories of the week is the rising price of eggs.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 9: If you watch this program regularly, like I'm sure you do, you might have heard me say this a few times ago. Come here, come here, come here. I guarantee egg prices will drop come February. You can bet the farm out of people saying, but Costa, the bird flu is getting really bet so what chickens aren't birds? They're chickens, you mouth breathing imbeciles. All right, So turns out chickens are birds. Fine, I'm not a bird doctor. I'm a human. And now that I know this, let's make some money.
Speaker 12: This morning. Egg price is soaring. The average price for a dozen eggs now more than five dollars, and in some local markets prices are as high as nineteen dollars. The biggest reason bird flu. According to the USDA's Price Outlook, egg prices are predicted to increase another twenty percent this year. There have also been egg shortages, leaving shoppers racing to gobble up what's available.
Speaker 9: You got me? Egg prices are nuts? Seriously, What do we gotta do? Take out a mortgage just to make an omelet? What do I gotta do? Sell my car so I can buy a free Tata? What do I gotta do? Pretend to be the long dead husband of the wealthy widow Belvedere, finally back from the Korean War. Then one night, in the middle of her sponge bath, I sneak off and write myself into her will. But as I'm forging her name, I realize behind all those wrinkles and skin tags lies the kindest, gentlest soul I've ever met. But when I rush into the bathroom to tell her I love her, she's dead. Someone left her in the tub alone, and she's dead just to afford a few huevos rancheras I mean, I ki ramba. It's out of control. But don't worry eggheads. With high prices comes high pertunity. That's why I'm Hella bullish on ladders. Okay, they help you climb trees so you can steal eggs from a buzzard's nest, which means I'm also going all in on ointment and bandages because, as I always say, Mama Buzzer, don't play like that.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 9: Look, I know egg prices can really scramble your bank account. Your bottom line is getting poached. But hey, you think these egg prices are painful, you should try paying to freeze your wife's eggs and then watching your new husband Blake fertilize them. Let's just say I wasn't too excited to find out about that. I've been sleeping like shit. Well that's all for this addition to Costa doing business, I'm Michael Costa, reminding of that money can't buy happiness. Have a great valent. Time's day, everybody, Thank.
Speaker 4: You, Michael. When we come back, Julia Tyl.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: My guest tonight is an Emmy and Golden Globe nominated actor who's making her feature directorial debut with the film Wish You were here. Please welcome Julia Style. Oh, welcome to the show.
Speaker 14: Oh my god, it is so exciting. Thank God for this show. You guys are great and I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 5: We are so excited to have you. You are iconic. You've been part of all kinds of iconic movies. Ten Things I Hate about You, Silver Linings, Playbook, The Born franchise, my favorite coming of age film, Hustlers. Oh yes, yes, but this is the first time that you've directed a feature, So congratulations.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: It's such a beautiful story. How how did this film come about? Was there a point in your career when things sort of clicked into focus and you thought, I really want to direct a movie of my own.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean I I have been wanting to direct for a really long time, kind of uh act, just couldn't find the right story and I it was it was about five years ago. During the pandemic that one of the actresses in the movie sent me this book and she actually she slid into my dms on Instagram and was like, I heard your interested in directing, and what about Renee Carlino's book. Then she went through my agent and sent me a letter. And I read the book and I loved it, and that I was. I had a visceral reaction to it. I laughed, I cried, I laughed through my tears, like that good cry that makes you feel happy at the end of it. And I thought, this is the story that I want to tell. And that was the catalyst for making me go Okay, now's the time. I mean, I've been acting for a long time and I've been on lots of film sets, so it finally felt like, Okay, now I want to be in the driver's seat.
Speaker 4: Is that Okay? Can I do that?
Speaker 14: Okay?
Speaker 4: I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 14: I have to say like, because I've I've been doing a lot of promotion for the movie, and I have to just like, I can't contain my excitement. I It took us five years to get the movie adapted, financed, cast into production. We were about to go and start shooting, and then the sag strike happened. We finally made the movie, and I love this movie so much, and I just can't believe that I'm here.
Speaker 5: Oh well, you deserve it, and all of the work paid off. It really shows this is a story about young love. It's a beautiful romantic drama with comedic moments. Was there anything that you discovered in all of your years acting in those types of films that you thought, I really want to do this differently.
Speaker 14: I mean, I definitely my radar for like keeping a movie like this from being saccharine or corny, Like my radar was up for that. I tried to keep it as grounded and real as possible. But the thing that struck me even initially about the book is that the main characters are very young, but their love story is so much more mature and touches on things that are a lot deeper. You know, most movies that are about young romance are mostly focused on like love at first sight or the initial stages of a relationship, you know, having a crush on someone. And this one, they play this game with each other where the girl will tell him the story of their lifelong love affair together as though they're an older couple looking back on a lifetime of memories together. So it brings up a lot of you know, more universal, kind of deeper issues like mortality and how we should be so lucky to create a lifetime of menas with someone and connect with them and have a life together.
Speaker 5: It does, and the lead character has this magical moment with this young man. It's sort of like a whirlwind romance evening, and then he ghosts her. Turns out he has a good reason for ghosting her.
Speaker 14: It's a pretty good reason. He's in the hospital. Yeah, he's very sick. Yeah, I mean I think that's that gets a pass.
Speaker 5: So you're saying, you're saying, all of the men who have ghosted me over the years, there's probably a great reason for Yeah.
Speaker 4: Maybe you never know, Yeah you never have you ever been ghosted?
Speaker 14: I think that I'm the kind of person that it would be impossible to ghost me, because if you don't respond to my text messages, I will not stop texting you until you do, like, and they'll get they'll get longer, they'll be like paragraphs of like, I know you can hear me, And this is how I feel about it.
Speaker 4: Where are you?
Speaker 5: I know you're Yeah, why you're your notifications turned off?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I totally get that. One of the things that I appreciated that you mentioned was that your experience as a mother helped you as a director.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yes, I realized pretty quickly on set. I was like, I can do this because you have to operate. I have three little kids, and you have to operate with very little sleep.
Speaker 4: You have to.
Speaker 14: Multitask, you have to think ten steps ahead, but also be in the present moment, manage people's hunger levels, like let's take a back rim. And that's not to say that actors and crew members are like little kids, but I just mean you have to be looking out for everybody's need.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, they are little kids. We're little kids.
Speaker 5: They are very actors and children are both very temperamental, can't go potty by themselves, always need more screen time.
Speaker 4: So it makes perfect sense.
Speaker 5: Your lead in this movie Isabelle Furman you worked with on Orphan Correct, no spoiler. She plays a thirty year old psychopath in that movie, pretending to be your ten year old daughter. Yes, there were different vibes on this set, Yes, totally.
Speaker 14: I mean first of all, because I'm like I was when I explained to people that I met Isabelle playing her mother, I'm like, whatever, she was pretending to be a little girl. Yes, but yeah, it was the very dark horror movie and I played a sociopath spoiler alert. But we had a lot more fun on which you were here. There's a lot of moments of levity and silliness to kind of suck you in before the tragedy happened.
Speaker 5: Yes, much much lighter, more beautiful story. You got to work with the close friend of yours on the score of the film, Vanessa Carlton.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I loved, loved, loved putting music to this film, and we sourced a lot of existing songs that I had a playlist that we put in. And but Vanessa and I have known each other since high school and I know that she we've stayed friends through all different walks of life, like we really when A Thousand Miles came out, and it was around the same time that I think Ten Things I Hate About You came out, and so we were both having success in our careers and kind of like, what is this thing that we've wanted for so long? But it's kind of scary and not many people understand it. And then, you know, dating in our twenties and having families, and I know that she had always and career ups and downs. She had wanted to score a film for a really long time. This is the first film that she's done, so of course when I had the opportunity, I reached out to her and she wrote like beautiful, beautiful music with her husband, John McCauley, who is from the band Diertik, And the combination of the two of them is like, you know, there are a couple writing music about for a movie about a couple, and he's got like this gravelly, you know, kind of masculine musical vibe, and she's got her piano, amazing piano composition.
Speaker 4: I feel so lucky.
Speaker 5: It was such a perfect collaboration for the two of you. I'm curious. You came up as a young actress teenager in the world before social media was really a thing. Now every actor that's coming up is on social media. There are platforms and sharing, and it's so it's like your personal life is so out there. Do you look back and go, thank god, I didn't have that, Oh my god.
Speaker 14: Yes, not because not because I was doing anything that would have been worthy of posting. It's just because I would have been so tortured, Like even now, I'm trying to navigate that world. And I literally spent like two hours yesterday posting and then deleting, and then reposting, and then second guessing my caption and then and it was all because the alignment of a picture wasn't right, Like the.
Speaker 4: Nerd in me is hasn't grown up.
Speaker 14: It's so tortured that I'm glad that when I was younger, I didn't have to deal with that.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of work. It is a lot of work.
Speaker 5: That is the director in you too, and that's why your film is so beautiful, and I can't wait to see what you do next.
Speaker 4: Congratulations on all of it. Ch you're here.
Speaker 5: It's now available on digital Julian sounds.
Speaker 13: Everyone right back out of the show tonight.
Speaker 9: Now here it is you.
Speaker 4: Moment of the.
Speaker 7: Soaring cost of one common ingredient could scramble some menus.
Speaker 14: How local restaurant owners are dealing with egg flation eggflation?
Speaker 1: Is that thirty seven percent eggflation eggflation?
Speaker 9: That's eggflation eggflation. The prices are through the Cool.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 9: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 2: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 4: Paramount Podcasts