Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff give you, guys, the best independent coverage that is possible. If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we just finished the stirring conclusion there of Tim Walls versus JD.
Speaker 2: Van.
Speaker 3: I guess i'll give my my overall top line thoughts.
Speaker 1: Obviously, on the gate, Timwall's super nervous, very obviously very nervous. And then as he sort of as the debate went on, he got a lot more comfortable.
Speaker 3: Also, I think he was very uncomfortable on.
Speaker 1: Foreign policy, which is something that was kind of anticipated as a governor.
Speaker 3: He was like, very nervous. Mine doesn't have to say control you ever.
Speaker 4: Hear over here and that's where the debates started, yes, And that's.
Speaker 3: Where the debate started. So he was very very shaky ground.
Speaker 1: He had a really bad answer on the whole China Tanam and square thing. That was probably the low point for him going into the final minutes. You know, I was planning to come out here and say, you know, for sure I thought Jad got the better of him.
Speaker 3: And then we got to January.
Speaker 1: Sixth, and I think probably the moment that is going to get replayed the most and was the most compelling through the whole thing was JD being unable to say that Joe Biden won the election. And in a very obvious way, you know, he just he gets asked directly by Tim Walls, and he said and says, we're focused on the future. And Walls goes in and says, well, that was a damning non answer. And I think that's you know, that's the moment that, out of everything, is probably going to get the most traction.
Speaker 5: Is there any pragmatic case that you could possibly concoct that there's some voter who just really wants him to keep saying that he won the election? Well, I mean, yeah, his name is Doc, but no, no, no, I mean Trump himself, like Trump obviously dictated that JD. Vans say what he's saying.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's right. And then look, this is the problem. And I think that the debate performance highlights the strength and the weakness of the Trump Vans ticket, which with Vance there at the time, I thought Vance Amy Walters put this best. She goes Vance actually is trying to talk to swing voters on every controversial issue. I thought his abortion answer is the best answer that a GOP politician has given since the fall of Row, where he's basically like, look, we failed, we need to win your trust back. We're pro family. It's heartbreaking. He's like almost tearing up talking about somebody knows who had an abortion aka compassion on housing, on many of the other issues he would say, I understand where you're coming from. He basically defended Obamacare. I thought he hit it very well effectively. Did like endorsed like healthcare for pre existence. I mean, that's incredible stuff here, right, we're talking about family in general. He's very very comfortable. This is where all the way up until the election answer and the truth is is that there's no good answer on that election whenever you're the vice presidential nominee on the Trump Vance ticket. So what do we say? I'd say eighty seven eighty eight, almost ninety minutes of a very very good performance for him, Unfortunately. I think you're right, Crystal. The media is going to plow play that one up. You guys are gonna be hearing it all goddamn day long from CNN, MSNBC and everywhere else. And look, I was gonna say, at the same time, it is justified us because one of the main questions is around this quote unquote like extremism. And one of the things I thought that JD very effectively did was not appear extreme on all the issues that they have been attacking them, on immigration, on abortion, or any of these, especially where there's a huge delta between where the Trump vance position is on a particular issue and then where public polling is, say abortion. So Trump obviously had a horrible answer on abortion and a horrible night there on jan six and democracy, etc. Or whatever. He also had bad answers there. Jad I think probably did the best he could do. I don't know. I still think that he won to be honest, I mean, I thought that Walls, I'm biased obviously putting that out on the table, but I don't think Walls came across like in any like in a particularly strong way with the China answer, which I thought was bad in general. I just thought he was nervous. Like one of the better things for him is he's supposed to be relatable. He kind of got there, definitely came.
Speaker 3: Across as he definitely wasn't.
Speaker 2: The you know, Republicans wouldn't to me.
Speaker 1: Republicans have a caricature of him as being like super weird, like you know, like a freakish kind of character. And I think he came across as very midwestern nice.
Speaker 2: He came to me as like stiff as a boy. Here's the I'm like, dude, he was not good at this.
Speaker 1: Too midwestern nice because he didn't. There was too much like yes, I agree with you, and I know people like to see that, but you are supposed to make a contrast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know that he came across as the sounds silly, but as vice presidential, and when you're as a vice presidential candidate, you actually really have to come across as presidential because that's what's in the back of everybody's mind is like, well, if something happens to the president, especially right now, would this person make a good president. I thought Walls had a good night. I thought JD had a very good night. But interestingly, JD on that last exchange about democracy, knowing that it's a vulnerability for him, pivoted to censorship and pivoted, and he didn't say Dems are the real threat to democracy. He said the issue or the argument that this is only a Republican problem is wrong because Dems want to violate all of these norms with censorship. He didn't say, you know, basically, the Dems are the ones that are trying to lock up political opponents Banana Republic.
Speaker 2: He didn't do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he didn't mention any of the court cases against Donald Trump unless I missed that.
Speaker 2: It really was him.
Speaker 4: Trying to say there are well he was and trying to say this, but he basically, rather than saying the problem is only with the dumbs, he kind of conceded problems on both sides.
Speaker 3: He didn't say it.
Speaker 4: He didn't say it, but he said.
Speaker 2: He said something to that effect. Look, I think he did the best he can. What the are you supposed to do? Like, I'm serious, Like when you work for the guy, what are you supposed to do?
Speaker 1: Also, Yeah, that's the reason he got the job, right, is because he said because he said, I would not have done what Mike Pence did, like that's the whole reason he's there, and so.
Speaker 5: He's there to be the bullwark against the deep state. He can't start acknowledging that the deep state was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I mean, yeah, it's it's devastating, but there's also he is. He put himself in that corner like that was part of that was the agreement he made when he decided to be on this try to be on this ticket, was that he would give that answer right there and never admit that Trump actually lost.
Speaker 2: I mean you have to Again, they're calculus. I don't necessarily agree with it is that you have to do this. No, for them, it's like, listen, we have to go along with this so we can get all this other nice stuff into the Republican Party. Again, I don't necessarily agree with that. Any advance mindset, mindset, a.
Speaker 3: Mind ends justify the means.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, we have a two party system. We have this guy named Donald Trump is at the top of the ticket. A lot of crazy says a lot of crazy shit that his supporters basically think he's a god and believe whatever he has to say. We have a certain number of policy positions that we want to move the Republican party on. He seems amenable generally to that because he just doesn't about any of that. So what do we say, we have to go up there and we say, yeah, I'm focused on the future. Well, stok, do I love it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But listen, and you know, like if you look at the policy level, like this, this, and this about where things are, compare this vice presidential debate to the vice presidential debate of what twelve years ago, almost exactly to the date on Paul Ryan, where we're talking about repealing all Obamacare, we're basically talking about free trade. We had a vice presidential debate canon or vice president Republican Cannon endorsing paid family leave. But the id yet.
Speaker 1: But that's the other part of it is like none of that is Donald Trump's policy.
Speaker 2: But that's the point. He doesn't have policy maybe.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing is like, you know, that's part of what's so weird is jd Vance is up there like freelancing what he might do if he was president, but you're not going to be president.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no indication. Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, he'll be an influencer at the very least, how.
Speaker 1: Has he been an influence on You know, he floated five thousand dollars child tax credit and Trump was basically like, no, and maybe he should maybe he should veto a national abortion ban, and Trump was like no.
Speaker 2: When Donald Trump, if he's nd Trump wins the presidency and the tax bill comes up for negotiation and Jady's in the vice presidential chair and perhaps gets to negotiate some of that, or being Trump's year, then I think we have a better chance of getting that done than not. Listen. Again, I don't even necessarily agree with this whole. We have to say the election stuff was still because it pisses off a lot of people, And why don't you say actual voters go ahead, Why.
Speaker 5: Don't just answer legally speaking, Biden's president and won the election through.
Speaker 2: The league, and you yeah, because they don't believe. Look and this is again the problem for them. So like it's an end justify the means position. Again, I don't necessarily agree with it. I think he gave a fantastic performance. I think in general, Tim Walls basically didn't. Tim Walls, in my opinion, did not come across with the rock star energy or whatever that a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, we didn't, we didn't come came in that coming in that he had said he was a poor debator. And I think they were honest about that. I do think, yeah, I do think, you know, they weren't just expectation setting.
Speaker 3: He really is uncomfortable in that role. I will say.
Speaker 1: I thought as he went like, I thought he was very good on abortion. I disagree with you guys that Jade Vance gave a good answer on abortion, by the.
Speaker 3: Way you can get to that.
Speaker 1: But I thought he gave a very good answer on abortion. I thought it was good on climate change. I thought he was, you know, good as oh, on housing. He was very comfortable. In healthcare, he was very comfortable. So it was kind of as things got into his wheelhouse and the night wore on that he got a lot more comfortable and did fine in the light. I thought the later stages were like a draw until you got to the democracy part, which is a disaster for Advance.
Speaker 3: On abortion.
Speaker 1: What JD did is he said, he said, basically like people are right to not trust my party on this issue. And I mean, maybe it feels honest, but I'm not sure that that's a great way to handle it, because imagine if you were Kamala Hair watching Kamala Harris say, you guys are right to.
Speaker 3: Not trust us on immigration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we I mean, but how would you feel about that immigration.
Speaker 1: Abortion and they're all as full of shit on abortion to admit, like, yeah, basically, my party kind of sucks on this issue. And also the other thing that just bothers me is this is one of the areas and there were a few areas like this with JD where he is very slippery on that he claimed he never won a national abortion band. That's not true. We all know that he has very strident views that he is just tossed to the side again in the name of like you know, pandering and trying to appeal to what he thinks Donald Trump wants him to say at this point. So in any case, it didn't land with me as such a great answer to acknowledge that basically, like, yeah, my party sucks on this issue, So what are.
Speaker 3: You going to do.
Speaker 2: But if you are a swing boater, who again this comes back to the swing thing. If you're swingy and you are pissed about immigration, but you're a woman and you care a lot about abortion, hearing somebody be honest with you about that, maybe that enhances the trust.
Speaker 6: Look.
Speaker 2: Part of the problem too is JD is not at the top of the ticket. I think he's a far more effective messenger for a lot of the things that Trump allegedly believes in than Donald Trump is. And if anything, you should see that from tonight about what this actually looks like whenever it's articulated properly. Now the issue on abortion, though, is if you're trying to win some of these swinger voters, I think that's the best that you can possibly get. And in a sense, that's the immigration example you gave is the perfect one. Kamala literally did change your answer on abortion or on immigration, and all of us know it, including people who are even voting on immigration. And so when you point out that contrast, she just looks like she's full of shit. As opposed to somebody saying listen, I understand, like we need to earn some of your trusts back. That actually feels authentic and honest.
Speaker 1: So you would if Kamala was like, yeah, we picked up on abortion and we need I don't think you and I think it the same way.
Speaker 2: You and I follow this day today, we do not. We are not the mean normal voter, right Like these people are like barely even paying attention. We're lucky if they.
Speaker 3: Watch, they're definitely not watching.
Speaker 2: We're lucky.
Speaker 4: Let's rule East seven to this part, because that gets to this.
Speaker 7: As a Republican who proudly wants to protect innocent life in this country, who proudly wants to protect the vulnerable, is that my party. We've got to do so much better of a job at earning the American people's trust back on this issue where they frankly just don't trust us. And I think that's one of the things that Donald Trump and I are endeavoring to do. I want us as a Republican party to be pro family in the fullest sense of the word. I want us to support fertility treatments. I want us to make it easier for moms to afford to have babies. I want it to make it easier for young families to afford a home so they can afford a place to raise that family.
Speaker 6: And I think there's so much.
Speaker 7: That we can do on the public policy front just to give women more options. In the state of Ohio, we had a referendum in twenty twenty three, and the people of Ohio voted overwhelmingly, by the way against my position. And I think that what I learned from that, Nora, is that we've got to do a better job at winning back people's trust. So many young women would love to have families, so many young women also see an unplanned pregnancy as something that's going to destroy their livelihood, destroy their education, destroy their relationships. And we have got to earn people's trust back. And that's why Donald Trump and I are committed to pursuing pro family policies, making childcare more accessible, making fertility treatments more accessible, because we've got to do a better job at that.
Speaker 6: And that's what real leadership is.
Speaker 5: What I missed in the middle there, though, is what's his policy, Like, what's.
Speaker 4: The because he was asked by the moderator whether he supports a national abortion ban, and he said, no, I don't support a national abortion ban.
Speaker 5: But what is the if that's the Republican abortion like messaging, what is it conveying besides the fact that.
Speaker 2: What it's conveying is that yes, we're going to restrict abortion like like brass tacks, We're going to restrict abortion at whatever six weeks. But we're going to massively increase social statemy.
Speaker 3: But that's not true.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, that's what it's conveying.
Speaker 3: I didn't is that the thing is. I listen to that and I'm like, okay, well when.
Speaker 5: They said then he say no, Yeah, he said no.
Speaker 4: And I think that's it's It's sort of like the democracy question.
Speaker 2: It's kind of the best he can do within.
Speaker 4: The parameters of the party and the parameters of his own belief because I.
Speaker 2: Don't think it's under Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: I think I think, I think, I mean, I think we still don't know what the national abortion band policy is because that's.
Speaker 2: The National Abortion Band truth.
Speaker 1: During the debate, Trump got asked about it and said he hadn't talked to j D about it, and then j D said, but I mean, here's this is the thing is like, Okay, after versus Wade was overturned, there was this whole conversation on the ride about like, Okay, now we really got to do the pro like we got to really live up to the profily thing bullshit like bullshit that he talks about ivy F.
Speaker 3: He didn't even show up for the IVF vote. That they had to pass the.
Speaker 1: Voters, and that's the thing. And Okay, child to credit. Maybe if Jadie Vance is going to be president, maybe that'd be a priority. Maybe maybe not.
Speaker 3: But is his running mate talking about that? No? Is his running mate talking about affordable childcare?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Is this running mate talking about doing any of this. Did he do any of it when he was president of the United States?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: So you know, I get what he's trying to do there, but it's just not backed by a reality within the Republican party.
Speaker 3: Child to ask credit. When it came up for a vote, how many Republicans voted for it? What too?
Speaker 4: What's interesting about that is a bunch of red states, as you were saying, you have the anti abortion and pro lifers talking about how it's now is the time to put your money where your mouth is and to be pro family.
Speaker 3: And what they ended up doing is.
Speaker 4: A lot of these red states passed these a suite of bills on the state level that were doing things like paying for diapers. Ronda Stantis diaid this and it was not like the points that you just raised, chrysl It wasn't about IVF, it wasn't about you.
Speaker 5: Like get a drug test before you get your diapers.
Speaker 3: Work requirement, yes.
Speaker 4: Work requirements for diapers, but that's like trying to make one thing you hear about a lot is making birth free. And it was sort of like natalist wonky policies, but it wasn't things like IBF.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean, we have to be honest about where we are. Most of the Republican Party doesn't support that. JD does support that. Now it does Trump support it? No idea? All right, I don't think he supports go to whatever position you're in now. In terms of what you just said, I think it's a pretty effective counter to why you should probably vote for Kamala if that's your number one thing. But he's trying, I think, to speak to more swing state voters, and to the extent that he's speaking for himself, I can genuinely tell you that that's what he believes. Now, does that mean that it's going to happen under Donald Trump administration? No, don't take that to the bank, considering what happened the first time around. And so his strongest moments, I thought were where he was genuinely explaining both his own belief connecting it to his different vision from where traditional Republicans stand and then trying to fuse that onto trump Ism. If anything, you could see that as the project that he undertook whenever he became a United States Senator and now as the vice president under Donald Trump. The correct counter to that is, will any of that happen? At best? Probably twenty five percent, if we're all being honest. Is that better than twenty five percent or whatever of Mike Pencism or one hundred percent of Kamala Harris being in the White House. That's for other people to decide. But that's why I thought it was a very strong performance. In other words, what is Doug Bergham going to do up there? What is Tim Scott going to do up there? What are any of these other people? They're just mouthpiece, they're nobodies. They would have given you complete standard answers on all of this stuff. This is different, and different is interesting. Different actually gets people talking. So for that, I thought, you know, for in terms of the performance you could give, especially considering how he's been coming off more aggressive and angry in a lot of his interviews. This was at the in the beginning of the debate, I said, I hope he comes across more compassionate like the guy who ran for Senate in twenty twenty two, or more like the hillbilly elergy guy who was on CNN, MSNBC. I thought, I thought you did a very good job of that. I mean, you saw far more of that than you did any of the angry response or in an embarrassing response like you know it's a problem.
Speaker 4: And speak of embarrassing responses, maybe we should run that one moment that Walt's had when he was pressed on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we've got e five when he if we have the stomach to watch.
Speaker 3: It again, yeah, this is hard to watch. Go ahead and let's take a look.
Speaker 8: Governor. Just to follow up on that, the question was can you explain the prepancy?
Speaker 9: Alls I said on this was is I got there that summer and misspoke on this, So I will just that's what I've said. So I was in Hong Kong and China during the democracy brote, Yes went in and from that I learned a lot of what needed to be in governance.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Governor.
Speaker 1: So there's apparently he had cleaned he was in Hong Kong went.
Speaker 5: And he wasn't Yes and June he was there in August.
Speaker 3: Okay, and he said.
Speaker 5: Which you would not know from his answer because he's not even exactly he got.
Speaker 1: First, he does on this long thing about like, you know why I was in China and this, you know, cultural connection and I bring basketball teams and yeah's a guy and like I just want people to connect and whatever. And she's like, okay, yeah, but why did you say that It wasn't true and I'm a knucklehead.
Speaker 3: I'm a knucklehead.
Speaker 1: And then he said something like I you know, I talk a lot, and I get caught up in the rhetoric and then it's just sort of like awkward pause.
Speaker 2: That was a miss moment. I saw my favorite quote of the night.
Speaker 4: He said, quote many times, I will talk a lot and honestly saying.
Speaker 2: I mean we're all here, yeah, living I also get caught up in the rhetoric.
Speaker 3: I mean, I got it.
Speaker 1: It was surprisingly bad because it's obviously awkward to have to admit like, yeah, I fucked up on that one.
Speaker 3: I wasn't there, said I was there.
Speaker 2: He eventually he eventually got it.
Speaker 1: Honestly, would be better if he had just said that, like I wanted.
Speaker 5: To, you know, you should have said I was it happened in June. I was there in August. It was a cooler story. It was a cooler story to say that I was there while it happened. It was kind of a lie, and I'm busted.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: Ye see, that would have been the best you could do it, And that would have been fine. People would be like, all right, you know, it's telling a tall tale.
Speaker 3: A big deal.
Speaker 2: Who cares a tall tale?
Speaker 5: Because he's meaningless.
Speaker 1: It's so hard to weasel his way out of answering the question.
Speaker 3: Just so all right, let's hold that, like, why weren't you prepared for that?
Speaker 2: Well, actually that kind of gets before we get to that. In our audio team, they have to re export that clip because it came out with that audio also fixed in a few minutes.
Speaker 5: I'm sure being there in August is a really cool experience, and you've got a lot of the like energy from right right aftermath.
Speaker 3: And you can say that, but.
Speaker 2: Also homes during the debate, what I put out was, I was like, it's clear to me it was a mistake that Wals didn't do interviews because he was nervous and he was not practiced in being in an adversary position, and it's like, this is why you know JD was comfortable from moment one, because he's been He's done interviews with both of those women in CBS literally both of them, probably knows them personally, both when he was a senator and as a vice president with all the major networks. The only thing he wasn't prep for was that election answer. It's there's no answer.
Speaker 4: I still disagree on that because he like, from a really big picture of perspective, obviously the interviews would have helped him be smoother in the debate, but their risk aversion. I think when you have as much boosting from the media as the Harris campaign has had and as Tim Wallas has had. To your point, like he really has been hyped up by the media.
Speaker 2: Why would you even like this just blew it up?
Speaker 4: That's not really I don't think so, Like, how much do you think this matters? When people are actually making.
Speaker 2: How much it matter at all? But that's the okay, let's say to the extent that it matters. I mean, look, if you're a political junkie, I'm assuming that the polls are going to probably show that JD one uh fedya is probably going to cover that on top of whatever the clip is, you know, that looks bad for him, so maybe it's a wa so on walls. I guess to me, they built him up as the star, how good he was in media and all that, and from the very beginning I was like, oh man, I was like, he looks so nervous up there. So sure it took him a little while to get warmed up, but that initial impression stuck, especially whenever I felt like he was trying to deliver canned answers, he would give weird pauses. There was we were talking earlier when they came out, and we noticed that he immediately came to the notepad and was scribbling a lot of pre memorized stuff down so that he could read off of that. I thought that really showed, and I mean, look, he had great answers on abortion. I thought that was the strongest moment for sure. I also thought he was closing and that's good his best. So actually, I think we do have that, and hopefully the audio is correct. So fingers crossed, Uh, why don't we go to that E eight pleased control room. Let's go ahead and play it.
Speaker 9: I think this is the conversation they want to hear, and I think there's a lot of agreement. This is one that we are miles apart on. This was a threat to our democracy in a way that we had not seen, and it manifested itself because of Donald Trump's inability to say he is still saying he didn't lose the election. I would just ask that, did he lose the twenty twenty election?
Speaker 7: Tim, I'm focused on the future. Did Kamala Harris censor Americans from speaking their mind in the wake of the twenty twenty COVID situation?
Speaker 6: That is a damning That is a damning non answer. It's a damning non answer for you to not talk about censorship.
Speaker 2: Trying to pivot to censorship on that just ain't going to work. Yeah, I mean, look, I've seen try everything. I've seen them try Pennsylvania voting law. I've seen them try Venezuela dominions. I've seen it all. That's probably as good as you're gonna get whenever you're up there. But it was bad. I mean, you know, how else can we say it was bad? Especially for Look the swing that was actually the one moment, and this is where he's so constrained by Trump, where every other time he's trying so hard with those swing voters on abortion, he's like, I hear you, you know, I feel you're paid on healthcare. I guess Christ have mercy right, show everything's compassionate of it. But with this, it's the red line for Trump. And so, like I said, this is the strength and the weakness of the Trump fanstiket and I think this is where the biggest weakness is and it emanates from the very top Donald J. Trump. And also, you know, for a lot of Republicans out there, we're always talking about how great Trump is, this is also you know, a vision of like it doesn't have to be this way of this whole like concept of a plan and uh, let's litigate our rally side is all these other disastrous like moments that are purely functions of Trump personality. But that's also where people have to be honest, and that a lot of voters, the actual Republican voters, for like, this is where we also be doing. They prefer the Trump, the.
Speaker 6: Abortion, the.
Speaker 2: So whatever the hell something like you know, the interesting nuanced.
Speaker 4: In and the only reason that JD didn't just give the sort of canned scripted pro life movement for decades. Answer on abortion is because Donald Trump is the candidate and he can't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's it's a it's a double edged sword.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I mean that there was a lot of.
Speaker 1: Throwing the pro life movement under the book, like by admitting our party is entrusted on abortion. And he wasn't just talking about like, oh, because we needed a child to ask credit.
Speaker 3: He was talking about abortion.
Speaker 1: And it's wild to see because he is one of those people who holds.
Speaker 3: Those very you know, like adamant.
Speaker 1: Pro life positions absolutely, and so it really, I mean, it really is quite striking to see him basically like throw that all under the bus and say, you know, and talk about the results of the referendum in Ohio and all of that.
Speaker 3: I just on the censorship thing.
Speaker 1: Because this drives me crazy, Like the idea both of the parties are pro censorship, the idea that Donald Trump is your anti censorship candidate is crazy. He wants to deport, you know, propoalstanting protesters, he wants to he.
Speaker 3: Wants he wants to ban flag burning.
Speaker 1: Republicans have passed all these laws and states that okay, they're in support of antibds laws. For example, they want to pass they've passed all these laws that like you know, ban protests in certain ways or like allow people to drive their cars into protesters, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Et cetera.
Speaker 1: I could go on, but just it really irritates me when people make that a point, and especially irritated me in that context when he's just like blatantly trying to shift the conversation from something he was.
Speaker 2: Look, he's doing what he's got to do. And so it's like when Tim Walltz gets asked about immigration. Yet, Tim, you know, I'm sure you really strongly feel about a strong border bill, like get out of here. But this is the game they might I don't know.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, I think they.
Speaker 2: Might don't think speak I mean speaking of Israel.
Speaker 4: So they start well, and so they started off with a very like sober tone and question about what had happened in Israel between Israel and Ron just today. And Vance had a pretty good moment early on. He seemed more comfortable to dim Walls, and he talked about you know, Walls calling Trump quote an agent of chaos. I'm a control and I'm queuing up clip E one to just see how the debate started and how Vance seemed to be on a pretty comfortable ground when he was talking about what was transpiring throughout the world. Let's roll e one so you can get a flavor.
Speaker 2: Of how it all started.
Speaker 7: Now, to answer this particular question, we have to remember that as much as Governor Waltz just accused Donald Trump of being an agent of chaos, Donald Trump actually delivered stability in the world, and he did it by establishing a effective deterrence people were afraid of stepping out of line. Iran, which launched this attack, has received over one hundred billion dollars in unfrozen assets thanks to the Kamala Harris administration.
Speaker 6: What do they use that money for?
Speaker 7: They use it to buy weapons that they're now launching against our allies and god forbid, potentially launching against the United States as well. Donald Trump recognized that for people to fear the United States, you needed peace through strength.
Speaker 6: They needed to.
Speaker 7: Recognize that if they got out of line, the United States global leadership would put stability and peace back in the world. Now, you asked about a preemptive strike, Margaret, and I want to answer the question. Look, it is up to Israel what they think they need to do to keep their country safe, and we should support our allies wherever they are when they're fighting the bad guys. I think that's the right approach to take with the Israel question.
Speaker 2: So, I mean that was we kind of predicted it from the top, where like, how is are they going to answer the Israel question? I was like, JD's just going to say it didn't happen. Will Trump was an office and it is a compelling point, and that's what a lot of people have to say, you know. The other thing I was thinking about, you know, because we were talking about like, oh, parsing all of these things, and I was like, well, normal people, you know, they're not even barely following any of this to the extent that any of them watched it. And I will be very curious actually for the ratings, because I don't know, what do you guys think. Do you think it'll be high? I kind of think it will be only be higher than normal for VP debates, only because this is the very last political debate. But I could also see it being a dud in general. They only watched for ten to fifteen minutes statistically, in that time that's where you know JD both was comfortable, Walts was very nervous. And because the Israel question and the Iran war question, I mean we began our whole stream with almost an hour on the topic. It is the most consequential thing happening right now. And if Biden and Kamala by proxy as number two on the ticket, do allow a major war to break out in the Middle East with US involvement, that is going to be even more compelling. And you'll probably hear that a lot as well. On the campaign trail.
Speaker 5: Looks like our own ratings were down about half from the presidential oh hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was not very Trump.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're the.
Speaker 2: High highest rating actually has ever been for a vice pretential.
Speaker 4: Well, don't say it's the highest points has ever been, because we don't know how high.
Speaker 6: Ryan has.
Speaker 5: Walls's answer. But Walls's answer on the Iran Israel question. Now, partly he was nervous coming into it, yes, but also he seems to have utterly no interest in the issue.
Speaker 1: He kept mixing up Iran and it.
Speaker 5: Was Kamala has her ten to seven lines completely memorized. Oh yeah, he was just like pawing at fourteen hundred. Like the fourteen hundred was a giveaway because.
Speaker 3: It's like that's not even the right now.
Speaker 5: That was that was the first week number before they were like, oh, actually two hundred of those were like Hamas militants that we like incinerated when we launched the Hannibal directive on the people, you know, flowing back into into Gaza. So it's actually twelve hundreds. He like, so he basically has no interest whatsoever in this, which undermines my own little pet theory. When I heard that he'd been to China like twenty five times, yeah, I was like, oh, has this guy been like groomed by the agency for a very long time?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think no, because if he had been, he would have, oh, he'd be able to articulate something on this issue. He just had nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think he was authentically completely ignorant.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's really like Chinese over here. Huh Oh that's true, of course. Yeah. I didn't didn't think about that. One of the telegraph things that we had got that was that JD wanted to hit him on stolen valor, which was a big thing. That would have been the moment be like, oh, did you also misspeak whenever you said you carried weapons of war or whatever, and he didn't bring that up. He also didn't bring it up in the gun section. So that was noteworthy to me in that I was going in. I expected that to be a thing. It was one of the first things that the Trump campaign went with. Clearly, either the polling shows that it doesn't work or they just decided to drop it. In general, the strategy from JD and actually from Tim Walls on both of them was they weren't really talking about the other. If anything, there was, like you said, there was a lot of icies between the two, like I agree with this governor, I agree with the center, but Kamala, Like the heated rhetoric was for Kamala from Jady and for Trump from I think I'm smart.
Speaker 1: I actually think I think from JD's perspective it was smart. I think it was the right strategy because Tim Walls does come across as like just kind of a nice guy and very normal and very yeah, and so if you're out there like viciously attacking him, I don't know that that would have And so I think I think JD had a different goal, which was to make himself a little more like, you know, soften some of the edges, be a little more conciliatory, you know, reach out. And I think he accomplished that, right. I think he came across as much more approachable and much more likable than he's come across in like the cable news exchanges or when he's on you know, making up lies about Haitia pets and even on the rally.
Speaker 2: Stage didn't hit him on that. He brought it up a little a little bit.
Speaker 1: Because he talked about how state law enforcement was having to escore little kids into the classroom and don't want Yeah, so he did go in, but he didn't he didn't go into.
Speaker 2: Hard right, he didn't do any like why won't you apolog which I was expecting what he did on the election to do to do the same thing on Springfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was shocked, And I think I think if you had a different candidate than Walls, I think it would have been the right strategy to be more a pressive towards j D because I think it would have thrown him off. You could have gotten under his skin a little bit. I just don't think the Walls really has that in him, Like I just don't think that that. I don't think that's a role he could really pull off. I mean he was struggling to pull off the role that you know of just trying to like be not nervous and articulate.
Speaker 3: His views in a forceful position.
Speaker 1: And like I said, I think he picked up a lot of steam as the debate went on and was fine towards like got strong towards the end of it. But yeah, I don't I don't think he has that like attack dog thing that was.
Speaker 2: Clear, I mean constantly just saying oh, I agree, it's actually funny. A lot of liberals are very mad at Tim Walls for that, Like, let me find this.
Speaker 5: You would have been of each other.
Speaker 2: It would absolutely thank God for just America's sake that that didn't happen, because so it would have been insufferable. The Obama asked stuff here. David from tweeted this out. He said, Vance is going home tonight with Waltz's wallet. Vance didn't even have to snatch it. Walst just handed it over, along with a bunch of unearned compliments to Vance's fine character. So I mean people are mad, And actually David replied to it with an article he wrote about how Walls should have tried to get JD Off basically get under his skin, yeah, and try and make him thin skinned. And I think I do.
Speaker 1: I think he's right that would have been a better strategy. I just don't think that Wall's cop.
Speaker 2: Doesn't have any He's just not that guy and you know so.
Speaker 1: And he apparently advertised this upfront to Kamala in the vetting process. I now do not think that that was bullshit or expectations.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was wondering definitely upfront, like this is really not my thing.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because part of because he was so good in those few cable news interviews before he got pitched, I was like, is it really not your thing?
Speaker 3: But it is different. A cable news interview is a different from me.
Speaker 2: Well maybe for Democrats because they never get challenged on anything. But if you're a Republican, it's basically like training because you're just constantly hitting a like conventional wisdom and having that's true, that.
Speaker 1: It's true that it is a related skill, but it is not exactly the same. You know, like a debate, you were a debate a debate for you? Were that a debate bro, if you're wondering on state champions, no big deal.
Speaker 2: Lost to a kid in a wheelchair. The story definitely lost because he was in a wheelchair. But it's cool.
Speaker 1: But anyway, it isn't It is a little bit different, like being up on the stage and the format and the length of it and all of that stuff. It is different, and so clearly like the comfort he has with the cable news hit does not translate over to you know, a comfortable uh feel on a debate state.
Speaker 5: These debate finals are on YouTube anywhere.
Speaker 2: I wish he actually would. I still if I had a tape of it, I would.
Speaker 3: You don't have the tape.
Speaker 4: The debate, the format making people nervous, not making people nervous. The big story that everyone was talking about after the last debate was the moderators.
Speaker 2: It was a huge coat for Republicans.
Speaker 4: As much as I dis liked the moderators there, I can one hundred percent agree with that. Now this time they were more like the CNN Dana Bash Jake Tapper approach and the presidential debate between Trump and Biden. At the same time, there was one First of all, I think Crystal and I at least agreed.
Speaker 2: They were awkward.
Speaker 4: The Nora O'Donnell mart Brennan Perring was awkward.
Speaker 3: Listen, we know great female chemistry and that's how I that was not it?
Speaker 2: How you do I think I think they hate each other. That has to be it. There's got to be something else there was. There was tension. Yeah, they didn't do a bit. Also, the fact checking was so bizarre because why did they say we're not going to fact check. If you're not, then don't.
Speaker 6: But then don't do it.
Speaker 2: They literally did pre fact check and then they cut a freaking microph we have.
Speaker 6: This is E four.
Speaker 4: This was one of the most uncomfortable moments after the China moment. What's rule E four here?
Speaker 8: Thank you, Governor, And just to clarify for our viewers', Springfield, Ohio does have a large number of Haitian migrants who have legal status temporary protected Mara, Thank you, Senator.
Speaker 2: We have so much to get to Margaret. I think it's important to turn out of the economy.
Speaker 6: Thanks Margaret.
Speaker 7: The rules were that you got to be in a fact check, and since you're fact checking me, I think it's important to say what's actually going on.
Speaker 6: So there's an application called.
Speaker 7: The CBP one app where you can go on as an illegal migrant, apply for a silent and be granted legal status at the wave of a Kamala Harris open border wand that is not a person coming in applying for a green cart and waiting for ten years.
Speaker 6: Thank you, senatoration of a legal immigration Margaret Bye.
Speaker 8: Thank you senator for describing the legal process.
Speaker 9: Have so much to get to the senator so much a book since nineteen ninety, Thank you, gentlemen.
Speaker 6: We want to have that app has not been on the books.
Speaker 8: Gentlemen, the audience can't hear you because your mics are cut. We have so much we want to get to. Thank you for explaining the legal process.
Speaker 2: Okay, so and again they didn't show you this. But the reason that he started talking was because they had fact checking. What did they say on climate change?
Speaker 4: Ryan?
Speaker 2: That is true? But I mean, I don't even think he even said anything.
Speaker 5: But nobody disagreed with that he said for the sake of argument, right, But okay, even then it was like why did you say that?
Speaker 6: It was like that's so.
Speaker 5: Odd because they expected that he would deny it, and they had it pre written. I think that's oh, I like.
Speaker 2: That insider, if that's true, and tell us the truth.
Speaker 3: I don't know that this is like, you know, the biggest it's not as bad.
Speaker 1: Bombshell, But I do think when you're up there as a candidate complaining like you promised you wouldn't call out I, like you wouldn't fact check, both from a process standpoint and also you're kind of giving up the game of like, you know, but I planned to, like I had these lives planned, and now you're calling me out on them.
Speaker 3: It's not It's true.
Speaker 2: It was a good play for him, for him because he gets to attack the I mean, I don't know a normal person watching that wouldn't think, like, what the hell is going on here with these two? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Well, they handled it so poorly and no O'donnald and Mark it just handled it very poorly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the thing is like, yeah, after then they're getting into a back and forth that may have actually been.
Speaker 2: Interesting, that actually could have been good, and then they cut it down for no mic and then it's just really passive aggressive thank you for explaining the legal process. That's right, that's right. Yeah, it was like that was that was bad. Do you have any other clips that we want to go over? I mean, we had a.
Speaker 1: Couple of others there, but I think that's that's Those were the main one. I think the biggest moments were probably people will talk about that Mike's cut one a little bit, but honestly, I.
Speaker 3: Think that's the China.
Speaker 2: It's going to be China in election.
Speaker 5: Those are the two big the biggest news of the days. Whatever Israel's going to do overnight, Like, yeah, that's right, blowing up the region, And they opened the debate with it, and the question was just so monstrous, just a portrait of the dying idiot.
Speaker 2: Preemptive will you Yeah, there's this big.
Speaker 5: War going on, will you preemptively attack iron?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: What it's like? Why don't we ask about conditioning aid? Why don't we ask what? Here's about a question? Should American troops die for Israel? How about that one? You can even ask it less loaded? Is there any scenario in the current situation where American soldiers would have their lives on the line in an Israel Iran war? Okay, you know, I just gave you this pretty decent.
Speaker 5: Well, why are their troops in Syria? Like, actually, really, why are they?
Speaker 1: I mean, the truth of the matter is if even if those good questions were asked of these two individuals, they there's nothing they would say that would really be.
Speaker 2: Policy totally totally, and I think it's.
Speaker 1: Could say whatever he's going to say. Donald Trump could say the exact opposite tomorrow and no one would think twice. Obviously, Tim Pall's not comfortable, and foreign policy doesn't know what Kamala would do, doesn't know what should but whatever, it to me point sound more what an incredible failing it is that we don't have another presidential debate that you know, there's such a lack of adversarial questioning of these two kids that we really we don't know the answer for either Trump or Kamala on some basic foreign policy issues.
Speaker 3: And so to me, it points war to that because.
Speaker 1: You might have get something more newsworthy, more noteworthy if you had the two principles back on stage.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's very true.
Speaker 1: But with these two, like, I don't know that you're really going to get much more than than you did on that question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'll rightfully be swallowed by a news cycle focused on what is what happens overnight in the Middle East, and then you have literally hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people unaccounted for in Appalasia, one hundred and sixty people dead. I mean, there's this debate won't really make a dent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also noted, I love we've mentioned in the open they mentioned the port strike.
Speaker 2: It was like it exists, and you know, there were there were moments. This is why I hate them so much, the media, because there were actually moments where they I think Tim brought up Tim Watz brought up something about unions, and I was like, why don't you ask JD about unions and the and Trump on you know, a question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they just moved past to some bullshit and they don't think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, they don't think about this. And meanwhile, actual people are at home or like wait unions, Wait my uncle or whatever is in the union. Oh what about the strike? I want to hear about that. That's the issue. So look, I mean, top line, you know, do we think that this is going to make a big difference for me? Like unfortunately no, because I think it was good for JD. But like in terms of the whole race, Trump is Trump. He sucks all the oxygen out of the room, and whatever oxygen is left is going to get sucked up rightfully by BBI and Iran, So that our fate quite literally is currently in the hands of the IDF and whatever they decide to do, because our bipartisan establishment go down that road, and then election wise, it's Trump and it's Comma, it's the principles. Unfortunately, these debates don't matter. I do think for personally, for JD, and like, let's say that Trump loses, I think JD made a very credible case for I think the.
Speaker 3: Nominations the standard.
Speaker 5: I think, now you don't connel in the chamber and effectively knife him.
Speaker 2: I think I think prior to this debate they would have not only wanted to knife him, they would very effectively been able to knife him. I think given this debate, there's a lot of my Twitter feed is just full of Republicans on how much they love him, rossed out that the most successful Republican debate performance of the century. I talk the two thousands. You can articulate yeah, because exactly people people love it when you can articulate that. So in that sense, for him personally, I think this was an incredible night. For the twenty twenty four election, it's probably just not going to make that big of a difference. And like I said, especially with the especially Israel Iran going to I mean that's going to be the headline. Yeah, by Mark within a week, that will be the most important.
Speaker 6: Thing going on.
Speaker 2: I think in particular, this one might be keeps.
Speaker 3: Going almost nothing.
Speaker 1: I mean since Kamala swapping Joe out that made a big difference, that was consequential, and no questions about that, by the way, true since since she's sort of you know, ascended to like the current state of the race, almost nothing does make a difference.
Speaker 5: Somebody saw somebody making the point that that would have been his best democracy rebuttal like three time you didn't have a democratic primary, true anointed to Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's true, except I don't think people care.
Speaker 2: That is good, they don't care, but at least.
Speaker 5: The walls would take debate and then you're not talking about Trump any That's.
Speaker 3: True, that's true.
Speaker 1: But you know, I think the race is pretty static. Like you know, you had a d NC that didn't move the needle. You had another assassination attempt that didn't move the needle. You had a debate that was overwhelming in terms of the consensus that Kamala defeated Trump and he looked terrible and made mass of himself whatever, Haitian pets, et cetera.
Speaker 3: That doesn't really move it. She maybe got.
Speaker 1: Maybe a temporary point bump, and then it's just back to the staces. So in that context, it's hard for me to imagine that this would be more significant than Sorry.
Speaker 2: So we just got that news in from CBS instant poll. Who won the debate forty two jd Vance forty percent seventy.
Speaker 5: I love America.
Speaker 2: I love America. America's like whatever. Yeah, I was a Republican going in. I like my Republican. The Democrat.
Speaker 5: Most of those Democrats are lying.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 5: Most of those Democrats are lying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're gonna but they think it anyways.
Speaker 5: And it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter who they Yeah, they're voting for walls.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So in any case, do I think it's going to move the needle?
Speaker 5: No, I do not.
Speaker 2: But especially one thing before, Yeah, happy birthday to my mom.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, your mom shows a birthday with Jimmy Carter.
Speaker 2: Why yeah, Oh my gosh, she's actually a little older.
Speaker 4: She's one hundred and one.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Mom, I wish we had more time to talk to you. Thank for her.
Speaker 3: It's really good, right, great, yeah.
Speaker 5: Father of neoliberalism, but also like a great Middle East anyway, all.
Speaker 2: Right, it's Toady. Thank you guys on his birthday. I don't need to call that, that's right, don't call him anything. Thank you guys so much for watching. We appreciate you. We have that discount going on right now. Can we put that up on the screen. Please have lasted time that people can take advantage of it for tonight. BP twenty twenty four Breaking Points the Election discoint Breakingpoints dot Com fifteen dollars off on an annual membership. Go ahead and sign up otherwise we will have a great show for you what is it on Thursday and we'll see you then