Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome home to the Native Landing on the podcast based that's it for Greatness sixty minutes.
Speaker 4: It's so hit, not too long.
Speaker 3: For the great ship, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digest it. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it. So get invested. Cross the t's and doctor Odds, kill them back to get them staying on business with ride. You could have been anywhere, but you trust us. Native Laying Podcast the brand that you.
Speaker 5: Can trust us. Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode twenty five of Native Lampod where we give you our breakdown on all things.
Speaker 5: Politics and culture.
Speaker 1: And we are your hosts, Angela Rye, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gillen.
Speaker 5: What's going on, friends and fans?
Speaker 4: Family, family, family. We have storm down here in Florida, and all I know is my grandmama said, when it started lightning, the thing you're supposed to quiet down, turn the lights all stop moving around, just everybody sits still. So I'm acting in contradiction.
Speaker 5: Of all of that yeah, I gotta say, you better not go out.
Speaker 4: Didn't go out.
Speaker 5: I know I'm saying it better not go back out.
Speaker 6: My grandma used to say that same thing Andrew, like when she said, when God moving, you be stilled. It was always a storm and we used to go to the basement and just sit. I used to love it because we would all be together in the basement.
Speaker 4: It used to terrify me. But I will tell y'all, I did go and turn all the lights out throughout all the surroundings except where I'm sitting, as if it's safety.
Speaker 5: I guess it might save you. Grandma's wisdom saved a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Okay, shout out to all the grandma shout out to all the grandmothers.
Speaker 5: We love y'all. We thank God for you all the time. You saved our lives.
Speaker 4: That's right, Thanks for riding with us.
Speaker 1: So everybody's on today's episode, we are going to be talking about what just happened in Jamal Bowman's race in New York. It is a stunner for me, and Jamal is a personal friend, so I am feeling for Jamal in this moment. I don't know what you all have to say about the race. But I got a lot of layers that I hope you can get through pretty quickly.
Speaker 5: Wait, you got Andrew.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you well, everywhere I turned left, right upside down. There's something going on with the internets. And again this week the Supreme Court, just this week let a decision come down regarding the Biden administration and frankly previous presidents and interaction with social media companies, and it has Justice Alito's head spinning on us swivel. And of course there is a new Surgeon General's report out around the impacts of social media on mental health of adolescence, and I dare say all of us and I look forward to talking with you all about it.
Speaker 1: And on top of that, there's a place that made a lot of black folks feel real crazy, and that was on Juneteenth, the announcement that Timbaland and Swiss beats so distribution rights to Twitter are formerly known as Twitter now X. They say, cancel that, dude. So I want to talk about that a little bit, but not in the ways y'all think. I think there are a lot of aspects of this that have been asked, answered and analyzed and replied.
Speaker 5: We're not going to get into that part too.
Speaker 6: For what you got, I want to talk about the unrest happening in Kenya and the parallels that exist, what's what's happening here in the United States.
Speaker 7: So stay tuned to the end of the show for that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and you all know it wouldn't be Native Lampid without hearing from our Native Lampod fam So we will definitely do that and of course will have calls to action.
Speaker 5: We just are not just about words on this show. It's also action, you guys.
Speaker 1: I you know what, before we even get into the race, let's just go into the clip because I don't want people to think that they're going to get the same old, same o on this show. So let's just roll the clip about what happened in Jamal Bowman's race.
Speaker 8: Does this feel like the haleable divide because it feels racial, It feels like regional in you know, the Westchester folks versus the South Bronx folsts, very different people, very different demographics. Does it feel like a healable rift as you're just talking to people?
Speaker 9: I think actually the answer to that question is something that we've talked about in our reporting and our stories on this race overall, which is the fact that this feels in some ways like a twenty sixteen reducts. It's got different issues at play, But the fact that Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton are both key endorsers in this race on opposite sides, just shows how long this rift within the Democratic Party has been going on and the ways in which that divide after.
Speaker 7: Twenty sixteen was healible.
Speaker 9: Okay, let's see if it's healable on a micro scale here in the sixteenth Congressional District of New York.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to start there because I think in so many ways, we keep harkening back to another point in history.
Speaker 5: You know, whether it's in the sixties, it's twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: I wish we could harken back to two thousand and eight sentiments sometimes, but I mean we really are. Sometimes it feels like sixteen nineteen NSB. Sometimes seventeen seventy six. I think the frustration I have about this particular race is Jamal Bowman, who's become a friend of mine, is a former principal of a school really really incredibly brilliant. He represents, at least through the end of the year unless of the changes the New York's sixteenth Congressional district.
Speaker 5: The demographics of that district have changed.
Speaker 1: It is thirty seven percent white, it is thirty two percent Black, twenty two percent Hispanic. But the divide doesn't just exist with the fact that Hillary Clinton endorsed George Latimer and that Bernie Sanders endorsed Jamal Bowman. The divide is also very deep along Westchester versus South Bronx, you know, like this, they couldn't be more different, and I think that that is something that we have to take into consideration. The overall income in this area is over ninety six thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 5: And there are a few other.
Speaker 1: Things that I want to get into, but first I just want to get into the narrative that, you know, a PAC conquered Jamal Bowman, and that's not really what happened here. They absolutely spent the most amount of money in any primary in history. This primary was very, very expensive. There was a lot on the line, and I certainly think they that a PAC and other related packs had a lot to do with it. Fourteen point five million dollars to fundam George Latimer's ad by but twenty three million overall spent in this race, so it's highly contested, hotly contested. George Latimer, of course, is a county.
Speaker 5: Exec in Westchester County, YEP.
Speaker 1: And so I just anyway, I want to stop here and let your way in, and then I got some other things that I want to flag.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I was inspired early on by Jamal Congressman Bowman and just really impressed with one his willingness to be how do you say a follower amongst leader as well as a leader amongst leaders as it relates to the squad. You know, each of those individual persons you know, to me just stands out regardless of what affiliations constituency groups that they're associated with, because they're just strong, unapologetic, seemingly uncompromising voices on the things that they believe in. And I just hope that no one takes from this the message that those individuals themselves, as they constitute the Squad, are in any how do you say peril or risk? They've been challenged before, they have had significant financial contributions mounted against them before, and have been successful at bidding that back. And I just don't believe that this is the end for brother Bowman, and I really do wish him well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I give a little context to the audience, and because if you don't live in this district, then why do you care?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 6: I think there's a lot of conversation around this because of the role of apac apak is the American Israel Public Affairs Committee or Political Action Committee, depending on what feel they're playing in at any given time. And some people, you know, this excites the Beltway press because some people think it's a referendum on the quote unquote squad. The Squad, as you all know, began with four members, four women members in twenty sixteen and has since expanded. AOC I think was the most prominent but the original for Aana Presley Rashida to leave out of Michigan and.
Speaker 7: Uh han Omar ilhan Omar, thank you out of Minnesota.
Speaker 6: And so you know, he was one of the people that defeated a long time incumbent, Elliott Ingle in twenty twenty. He swelled the ranks of the Congressional Black Caucus. So he was, you know, a star or somebody who was you know, well spoken or outspoken I should say on the House floor. So you know, This again seems like very inside the Beltway, because I think the Beltway press is so eager to say, well, you know, this means trouble for the rest of the squad, and maybe it does or it doesn't. I think if you're somebody at home thinking about, you know, paying your mortgage and sending your kids to school, the relevances has to you is what issues did he stand on? Who will go on to win in the primary? Will Latimer represent your interest in the primary? I think the point Angela was trying to make is because that divide among Westchester and South Bronx is Westchester has a much different income median household income than the South Bronx and therefore probably different interests. So you know, even though you represent a district, you vote as you know, a part of a larger body, right exactly, And so when you lose a voice like that, I think those are the things that people should really be concerned about.
Speaker 4: Or a caucus, as you said, Tiffany, that is attempting to grow in strength and its ability to really serve as a conscience reminder on every vote, whether or not we're Democrats in Washington and the members at large are in service to the people or to some other constituency that they won't name, but we know in too many ways, it's too all powerful and omnipresent and almost every issue.
Speaker 7: I just want to shout him out too, because when my show was canceled, he was a very vocal supporter, So I appreciate his support there.
Speaker 1: Jama is somebody who I think stands on business in ways that make people feel uncomfortable. He is a very loud voice. He's a very clear voice. He's very convicted about the things that he cares deeply about.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 1: The other thing that is kind of frustrating to me is the fact that we haven't talked about like the racial animists that exists with black men who display anger or passion. And I think that Jamal has taken some real hits because of how he displays his passion on issues. People have talked about the way he cusses, or he sounds too aggressive. There was a black man on the same piece that we're joys talking to Ali that talked about how he comes across as too aggressive, and so I wonder how much of that was taken into consideration. I haven't haven't analyzed any of the ads. I'm interested to see what they talk about in the ads. I know that Apak didn't focus on his position on the Israel Hamas war as much as they focused on where he did not stand in lockstep with Joe Biden in votes. The other thing that I think would be foolish for us to not take into consideration is how they messaged him pulling the fire alarm right to get to that House vote where he pulled the fire alarm and had to plead to a misdemeanor. One of the things that we're seeing right now is the ways in which Democrats have leaned into talking about Donald Trump as a convicted felon. And I think that we don't have a solid ground to stand on here because the justice system is so jacked up.
Speaker 5: You shouldn't have had.
Speaker 1: To plead to a misdemeanor and pay a fine and be on probation for pulling a fire alarm to get to a vote that was a pretty significant one, Is it right?
Speaker 5: No, But I just think that we spend a lot of time on stuff that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Same, if I could, Oh no, no, no, go ahead, I'm so sorry. I wanted to pick up on your invite around black men's comportment when in politics and being sort of seen by the rest of the world. You know, you you're familiar with this because you've been so involved in my life's politics. But when I ran for a local government here, I was running a almost seventy percent white majority, you know area, and the I've never represented a majority black constituency in all of my time as an elected official. And it it you'd be a maze and maybe not amazed at the number of times that people who genuinely express that they care about you will pull you to the side black, white, and otherwise. And I often got this from older black women at churches on Sunday. You know, don't don't don't get so mad with them, you know, commiss or mayor, because we need you to be around, We want you to be around, and tif you often reflect on the conversation that we had at your home around our ability to imagine and to with a blank saate slate paint the picture that we want to be in as black folks if we didn't have to consider other people and what they will make allowance for. And I and I really feel like what I was getting from particularly those black mothers grandmothers was out of concern for me, either they were let down or disappointed in my display. In fact, they probably were right there with me, but they also knew that there was another calculation at Bay and and and then to bring it back to Jamal, I'm sure that he had people pulling on him one way or another to do that. And this is just one of the ways that be being passionate about something life safety, security, housing, food on the table, how those things you should be angry and upset when that stuff isn't being tended to. And that we've always got to, you know, in some way reserve our passions, the things that give us the energy to take these fights on and convenience and out of convenience so not to offend others.
Speaker 5: I think that's exactly it.
Speaker 1: So with this, I think one other note is a little over ten percent of the voting population in his district participated in the primary on Tuesday, And I think that we have to start paying attention to who we want to make decisions for us in elected office. If we really want to bank on our neighbor or someone down the street to hold what's in our best interests. So only less again, a little more than ten percent, which is pretty high, honestly, but it's also really it's it's repugnant.
Speaker 5: It's so low. Let me think about how many issues we're not heard, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like buy the amount of money per vote and he.
Speaker 1: I mean, he really got trounced in this in this primary. So that said, he has not ruled out Jamal has not ruled out running as a member of the Working Families Party in November, and I think that that is remarkable. We talk on we've had a podcast, a mini pod on third party runs on when that makes sense, and this is one of those situations where it might make sense. Working Families Party is a more progressive wing of the Democratic Party, but it is not separate from but he would separate a little bit to run against George Latimer if he were to make that decision in the fall. So at this point, we got to pay some bills and we will be right back.
Speaker 3: Welcome, welcome, come, well, come, well come.
Speaker 5: Welcome.
Speaker 4: And ti if Angela and of course our listeners. As we mentioned earlier, the internet is everywhere. We said politics is every year everywhere, as one of our segments. But truly it's been top of mind for a lot of people this week in particular, and I'll just say the latest before I go into where I hope we can spend a couple of moments talking, and that is, in a six to three decision, the Court decided. I won't sell you what he technically decided, but by making its technical decision about standing on this issue, it essentially is allowing the Biden administration in any future administration to continue to talk, coordinate, and work with social media companies and giants around misinformation, disinformation and such counterclaims. Of course, Justice Alito and his dissent take took real issue with his colleagues on the Court, basically saying this basically sanctions any president, any administration to go after the people who philosophically differ from them and conservative outlets and shut them down and so on and so forth. Obviously an extreme extension of what's being discussed here. And the reason why I thought it was important to just mention this, ladies, is because another thing happened this weekend. That is, the Surgeon General issued a warning the first of its kind, around adolescents use of social media. And while his announcement could not draw a because of this. Therefore, this because of the Internet, or because of social media, your kids are more depressed and more inclined towards suicidal thoughts, so on and so forth. Any of us, I think could make a conclusion that things just feel a little bit different for young people growing up today. And the truth is is social media, at least in my opinion, I think has an important amount to do with in that. And that's what the Surgeon General's warning brings a parents and all of our country's attention to. And I just hope that folks whoill go to the website, check it out, download it, and and really dig into it. I will tell you, ladies, as a parent, I'm like, I mean, I'm blowing gaskets every day, just trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do to moderate this thing and not let my kids become one addicted, but two just victims to what happens there. And the Surgeon General's report talks to the impact of social media on our youth, but I got to say, it's not just young people who are shaken by this thing. In fact, maybe these are some familiar faces and voices that you'll recognize. Also sending up some warning signs.
Speaker 7: Are you using your device or is your device using you?
Speaker 4: Can you put it down?
Speaker 11: Can you turn it off?
Speaker 3: Some of us are able to navigate it a little bit better because we're older.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you lived in a world without it.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine growing up in a society where this is all you know is social Goddamn?
Speaker 12: We just want I've been anxious, and I've been depressed, and I've been I have body dysmorphia, that's for sure. It doesn't make me feel better to really just like put that out there and talk about that sort of stuff. And I just I know how involved I am with social or how involved I was with social media, so seeing the responses to that is something that I wouldn't be able to handle.
Speaker 4: That was Doja Cat the last voice you heard, proud of her, Charlemagne the God, And of course leading off that quote segment was Denzel watching himself. And I did that just because r J is in love with the man, But I also think that his comments were appropriate. Apropos y'all, how do you relate to that? Particularly where Dojakat ended there, which is basically how she would react. She knows that she can't handle how she would react to what she might read on social media. And if that's her response as a woman, grown woman, what hope do we have for our kids? How are y'all regulating it?
Speaker 5: Can? I?
Speaker 7: Oh, sorry, go ahead, Angel, Nope, you got it.
Speaker 6: I just want to go back to the Supreme Court case because I think it's really important to put that in context and bridge these two topics, Andrew, because I definitely have strong thoughts on how we navigate social media. First, the Supreme Court case, it's not so much that they are, you know, allowing Biden to intrude. The case arose from a barrage of communications from administration officials urging platforms to take down topics, misinformation on topics like the coronavirus, and claims of election fraud. How this suit even came about is because the two attorneys general from Missouri and Louisiana, who both happened to be Republicans, sued and so this is one of those things that.
Speaker 7: Bubbled the number, but they led the chart.
Speaker 6: So this is one of those things that bubble up from right wing maga extremists that now comprised the Republican Party. A Trump appointed actually issued an injunction that prohibited officials that they call threatening their platforms, and then that went to another three court judge panel, and so Scots this is a surprise ruling from them, So I think it's worth noting they overruled that and this is where it wasn't down party lines for a change in the six three opinion. So I think in one bucket, there are the dangers of misinformation that we really saw in twenty sixteen around GOTV efforts around getting people to participate in the election. In twenty twenty, that we saw around COVID nineteen and around what actually happened.
Speaker 7: In the election.
Speaker 6: So there's that bucket that definitely should concern all of us, regardless of what side of the divide you fit on. For the social aspect of it, this might be sound a bit elitist, and I look, I'm on social media, so I put myself in this. But I know a lot of people who are not on social media. If they are, it's minimal, they don't really participate. And if I could draw a line, I think the people who are not on social media are far intellectually superior. It's for me anyway, in conversations I have because you're not spending your time on Instagram or TikTok. Like these people read more and not like papers, but they like read books and know about history, and they're just consuming information in a different way. I used to read a book a week. I've slipped a bit. I find it difficult to focus. There's a lot of research around this. According to Data Portal, the average user spends two and a half hours a day on social media. I think Gallup had information saying the average teenage girl spends four and a half hours a day on social media.
Speaker 7: These things can lead you.
Speaker 6: I know, I scroll through and I think, oh I wasn't invited to that, and oh she looks so cute in that outfit, or oh I need to lose weight, or oh her makeup looks good. It's a constant criticism or just posing yourself in somebody else's life, and it makes such a difference when you stay present with people. I have literally lost friendships because I don't want to sit across from you looking at Instagram when I'm talking to you, and I just don't talk to them. I don't spend my time with those people. If you can't be present and look at me when I'm speaking and listen to what I'm saying and participate fully in the conversation. So you know, I'm concerned with some of the regulation because it depends on what administration is in office when it comes to you know, what information we share and how we share it. But on the social side of it, I wish we could all self regulate and get off it, put it down sometimes, you know, it should not be our lifeline to society, and I feel like it is increasingly so how people relate to each other. Young people don't even know how to talk to each other. They don't even ask each other out. They don't speak game no more. It's all about a DM or a snapchat or whatever the latest platform is.
Speaker 7: So it's concerning for.
Speaker 4: Sure, And Angela, I appreciate that context too in the framing tiff as always. And you know, we've got scientists that have diverged on both sides of this issue of whether or not social media and it's ubiquitous consumption access to it rather for young people is in fact impacting their mental health. So unfortunately, scientists have to do what scientists do, and often they are lagging indicators on a lot of this stuff we here twenty thirty years later. This was bad for you, but you've been consuming it for the last thirty years. So putting science where it needs to be, I mean, do I believe my lying eyes or no? Are young people not appearing all of us appearing differently and showing up differently in the world. I think possibly in part to this part.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just really quick.
Speaker 1: I would say I fought on this issue where the Supreme Court fail, which is standing right, So scientists might have some standing, sure, but I'm gonna trust the parents over the scientists here.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 1: So I will tell you I really wanted watch my god children and how much they are engaging in social media. I have one in particular that spent over forty hours a week on TikTok, and it's it is deeply concerning, deeply troubling. And it starts not just with them, but like all children, you watch them like have a fit until they get the device. I think we're not any difference, like where's my phone, where's my phone?
Speaker 5: Where's my phone?
Speaker 1: There's this constant like you're almost controlled by it, and one and the same Like there's been a lot of debate about l a USD saying that they're going to prohibit devices period. Well, parents are like, yeah, why don't you prohibit these school shootings?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: You know, so like you there's this this good and the bad, like there's a calendar share, like which parent is picking them up? Like they're all of these other things that matter. Yeah, for devices, but also the device itself is a problem.
Speaker 4: So so does it to be a smartphone? As could it not be?
Speaker 5: I stand for a flip phone.
Speaker 1: But good luck on texting on that joker quickly and having any type of calendar invite.
Speaker 5: But until then, we're gonna invite you to this ad break.
Speaker 1: So everybody I have been calling June Kendrick Lamar Appreciation month. He definitely owned Juneteenth, and some folks who didn't own Juneteenth but might have sold away some distribution rights were Swiss Beats and Timbaland, and I have been really fascinated watching the debate here. I've been asking a lot of questions, which normally I don't do. I'll just have an opinion, a strong opinion. But I've been asking a lot of questions because I've been seeing the flat side of my own hypocrisy here. So I wanted to start this conversation with our own little poll because you know, we're a residential poll firm. Now we pull black people. You all are included. So I'm gonna start with you, Tiff and Andrew. I would like to know how much money it would take for you all to sell Native Land pod distribution rights two X right there, yeah, right now, fifty dollars and maybe a gift card to a restaurants.
Speaker 5: You a cheap hole.
Speaker 4: You want to give it, you want to give it away. I thought that was worth more than friend, take.
Speaker 5: Me the red lobster.
Speaker 7: Listen, these coins tight over here, so I might need the wrong person.
Speaker 5: Asks not for.
Speaker 2: I.
Speaker 4: Look, I haven't seen X two years.
Speaker 1: I guess okay, but so but if somebody, if if I Heeart Approachest or reason trace media approaches, said hey we've got this incredible distribution deal opportunity with X, you.
Speaker 4: Know distribution, So you tell it it is, it is, it is accessible, It has been leveled all of us. I'm doing it in a different way that why would you sell what you already own?
Speaker 1: Okay, because maybe having it on Twitter to it increases opportunities eyeballs, like we have the podcast We have the podcast on YouTube, we have it on Spotify, we have it on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 4: I get it, but guess what you can give glimpses into that? Didn't people like put two minutes or sixty second whatever videos up.
Speaker 5: Want to tell you what you're doing right now?
Speaker 1: You know how there's a debate tomorrow when this podcast drops. There's a debate. You're giving me one of those debate answers.
Speaker 5: I want to know how much money, what it costs.
Speaker 4: You, Angela it is, and what I'm the numbers. I am not going to sell what I own for someone to do what I can already do.
Speaker 7: You don't, you don't know, and they're not doing what you can do.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry versus no, Andrew.
Speaker 5: The question is.
Speaker 1: If we had an opportunity to distribute Native lampod on Twitter, how much?
Speaker 5: What is the dollar amount sir? That is the question I.
Speaker 4: Humbly passed, and begin with I passed.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, So here's this is the part right.
Speaker 1: So for me, there are kids I need to send to college, there are bills I need to pay. There there's there's something self righteous in me that feels like if I can change what's happening on Twitter. I want to do that, you know, like, if we get our content out, maybe he pushes it harder than he pushes that nonsensus Tip would say.
Speaker 5: Vacations, we need to pay for vacations. We need to pay I would say a cool.
Speaker 6: Five million, five million, if anybody know, come five million.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we can talk.
Speaker 4: And all you get is what we've already produced.
Speaker 7: That's not true, Andrew, that is not where you're getting that from.
Speaker 4: What I if this is about the sale of Versus.
Speaker 5: No, I asked a different question and you refuse to answer the question on the table because we're not in Twitter.
Speaker 7: I mean, we're not in versus and we don't but we don't own Okay, so let.
Speaker 4: Me let me let's do something else to explain it to me.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I want to I want to waste time. I want to waste time on this. Let's say be Et comes to us, which is the legitimate thing. BT comes us, and they say they want to distribute the podcast. They want to air forty five minutes, a forty five minute cut down of the podcast once a week. What's the dollar figure you sell that for for distribution? They don't own the pot you still are a producer on the.
Speaker 4: Pod and would it be exclusive? No, that's the only way you get to see us.
Speaker 5: No how much.
Speaker 7: Andrew like if they say we got dollars a distribution.
Speaker 4: You're just asking the questions that I would want to have.
Speaker 5: What it costs for you?
Speaker 4: How about fifty fifty mil ten.
Speaker 5: Or fifty million dollars distribution deal?
Speaker 4: Non exclusive? And will do recorded promoted not have?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 5: And I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't want Andrew negotiating an.
Speaker 4: You think we were fifty three fifty three cents fifty dollars? You think you worth five million. I'm trying to ask the questions that might help lead me to a rational estimation of what we're worth and without one worth million at.
Speaker 5: Least Lebron, Thanks Lebron, Thanks Lebrin.
Speaker 4: If Lebron can do it in one year, I just laid out a ten yurre deal.
Speaker 6: Okay, But I take your point is I think you're trying to make a point. Is here and here is the point Tivity is like, make your part break.
Speaker 1: I have not made the point the first Andrew answer the question we said you in debates, damn.
Speaker 4: It out to land on my nose.
Speaker 5: Well, boom on the nose. Anyway, I like it. I appreciate this.
Speaker 1: I like to get Tim Maya here Andrews like after all them dugs, as you know, we're get it.
Speaker 5: So here's the theme.
Speaker 1: People had so much heat for Tim and Swiss about this distribution deal. They say as black owned, but they're posing with Elon on Juneteenth to announce it. And I think folks were more upset about the picture and the image than they were about the distribution itself. There's a lot of criticism about it, and I think that all I want to talk about really is the hypocrisy that exists for all of us, Like we don't know how much it was worth, but I can tell you those two businessmen then sell that for cheap. I ain't seen her sell a little bit when last time y'all seen verses? That was my other pole question about right, the last one I remember seeing was Escape in a WV. Doesn't mean I wouldn't watch it again, but I'm saying, like, I don't even remember the last time we saw it.
Speaker 5: So I'm actually like fascinated.
Speaker 4: Designed for COVID where you couldn't get no by nobody, but who you breathe with Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, but I'm fascinated to know, like what if they actually hustled Elion Musk.
Speaker 7: Because then that's the question. Yeah, yeah, Like I think that that's the point you're you're making.
Speaker 6: It's because on one side, that is like, we're gonna get this dude's money, you know, Yeah, we're selling the price. We're not making money anyway, We're gonna sell it to him for a big chunk of money because y'all know, he thinks he know the culture and he he he wants to picture with us on juneteen. Fine, we'll get it. So then it becomes well, what are y'all doing with this money? How are you uplifting the culture? How are you using capitalism in this platform to fight back some of the oppression that black folks are still experiencing in this country?
Speaker 7: Like then that's a different set of questions.
Speaker 6: On the other side, is by giving our culture and talent over to a platform that promotes and welcomes white supremacists this information, you are also legitimizing that platform. You are lending your talent, your face, your reputation to Elon Musk, who is the equivalent of an evil character in an Austin Powers film, like he's somewhere stroking a cat, you know, with his pinky finger in the air. So then is that a wise move too? What Angelin and I talked about is a little bit when this first happened, we were on the phone, and the point I understood you to be making, tell me if I'm.
Speaker 7: Wrong, is how are we.
Speaker 6: How are we prioritizing our own hypocrisy or how are we considering our own hypocrisy? Because if we say, oh, Twitter is terrible, then are we promoting this podcast on Twitter? Are we promoting other things that we do on Twitter? And does that make us hypocritical? And if we're saying Twitter is terrible, they are white supermass.
Speaker 7: I don't use it. But we're talking on our iPhone. You and I were both on our iPhones and we're talking.
Speaker 6: About this and the labor practices and the cobalt and all the things that the that makes the iPhone problematic or all these smartphones problemat Where do we draw the.
Speaker 7: Line when it comes to our morals and the choices that we make? And I think that it can be a fuzzy line for a lot of people.
Speaker 4: I mean I think people are going to reserve their clutch your pearls righteous moment and apply it as selectively as they think about it, because that's just how that thing operates and how it works. That's not to dismiss whether or not there are credible questions to be asked when a platform empowered for and then powered by the community feels like they have some sense of ownership to it, access to it. We made this work when them feeds was dropping the middle ten minutes in and we still holding thirty minutes in, babyfacing y'all anyway for the thing to start, We held you down. And so I think the way folks are thinking about it is much more democratized than some economic trade off between two corporations or a number of corporate entities who don't have to think about that. And if I'm thinking about it in the lens of I helped build this, I sustained this. We were all scraping for what we could get by way of sanity, and we built this and now it's gone. I understand how folks can feel that way. Now, is it right and merited with regard to how they choose to then spend those resources? No, it's a company, it's an idea of business and advent so on and so forth, and if they don't apply a set of moral value standards or whatever. To an Elon Musk, who didn't just welcome the voices of the most extreme in society, did all he could to level what's factual what is not. He started charging folks for a blue check when those blue checks exist to determine and signal to people that this is a real person versus that fake over there. So somebody who is not interested in seeing the facts wants to blur the lines so deeply that truth no longer matters because there is no truth. I mean, I can't get in bed with that.
Speaker 6: But you know, it's capitalism, and it is, yeah, some of the the point, even when it comes to black folks, A billionaire is a billionaire is a billionaire, like I think you when we look at some of the billionaires that we know and how they move and decisions they make and financial moves they make that aren't always uplifting to the culture or for the culture.
Speaker 7: And there is I think a certain level.
Speaker 6: Where do you lose touch with the community and some of your decisions you make or you know, are you seduced by the trappings of wealth that you forget about those things.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't causes that.
Speaker 7: Power proximity to power, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you don't have that money to have power.
Speaker 5: You don't.
Speaker 1: But this is the point I think that we should, at least on this podcast, in this space, we should stress test where our flat sides are and where our blind spots are, and where our hypocrisies exist.
Speaker 5: I am blown away by the fact that people tweeted about how mad they were about this deal for free.
Speaker 4: You mean I got a suspended license and I called in the court while Oh no, no, I'm just saying, but that's your point. You're on the platform, you got an account.
Speaker 6: But I think selling the platform Angela versus tweeting on it is different.
Speaker 1: But did they sell it or did they just distribute there like they were distributing on Triller and He And here's my other thing. If they say I'm going to distribute on a place where black people overwhelmingly occupy, that is still catering to the culture because unfortunately, we haven't supported spill at the levels that we should or spoutable at the levels that we should.
Speaker 5: So they're like where we're going to go where black people meet? Remember that?
Speaker 7: Why haven't we supported?
Speaker 5: Oh, Tip, that's a great I mean, I think it's a great question. You guys know, I love us. I would love for us to have our own stuff.
Speaker 1: What is it gonna take for us to support our step to the degree where somebody could get a distribution deal like that on ours?
Speaker 5: And until that happens, how dear? Like, come on, you guys.
Speaker 7: Get the picture.
Speaker 1: Boys, I get the picture, but like I'm saying, I didn't finish my how dear, how dare you tweet about it for free and then criticize them for making the deal, Like where was this smoke for?
Speaker 5: Where was the smoke for?
Speaker 7: Don?
Speaker 5: Lemon?
Speaker 7: Don got all kind of smoke?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 6: You said that before, And I was like, what, I didn't see it? I definitely saw it. I think I saw it online. I saw it in my personal inbox and text message like there was definitely a lot of conversation about why.
Speaker 5: Maybe they just didn't tell me.
Speaker 4: I think my decision probably mostly for reputation. It likely ain't money.
Speaker 5: And I believe you, Tip, I'm not calling you a lot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, I get it.
Speaker 5: Or maybe I wasn't paying attention at that point. I think I was just so surprised.
Speaker 1: It's like you're surprised though, right like when when Yeah, but I was surprised versus like I was surprised honestly by Swiss and Tim too, But I don't have smoke for it. Like for me, I'm like to me, I'm like, get your money, and then when you get your money, I expect you to do certain things that are uplifting to the community. Now here's my last focus of a question because this went long, But here's my last question.
Speaker 5: Would you all take a distribution deal with Fox?
Speaker 7: No, you mean Fox News or Fox Corporation.
Speaker 5: Let's do Fox Corporation.
Speaker 6: Probably no, but it depends on what it is and what it looked like. How much too well is that fifty three seventy five? Would it gift cards the DK favory or are we talking like just Streight Cass.
Speaker 5: I don't know. For Fox, they have so much, so much with.
Speaker 4: It'd have to be a wicked amount, Like tell.
Speaker 5: Me, tell me how wicked Andrew like we be.
Speaker 4: We get in the bill, We'll be in the bill, in the bill.
Speaker 6: Billion Billy has got to be something else.
Speaker 4: If it's got an organization, that corporation like that made the decision that we were a desirable enough content that their viewership, subscribership, you know, whatever where they make their money, is still willing to stay in that place.
Speaker 5: And hear us they're going to give you. Okay, I'm about to set up the deal for you'll.
Speaker 1: They're going to give you uh uh five million each a year and give you titles in Fox Soul and decision making power. No decision making power, decision making power on Fox Soul, in equity in Fox Corporation, let's say three percent equity per host every year.
Speaker 6: I'm countering with I want a spot on Fox News. They got to air this on Fox News? Oh you want it on Fox News?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Because there we have to penetrate Like that is a problem.
Speaker 1: Do you want do you want a daily show on Fox News or do you want a weekend show on Fox News.
Speaker 4: I'm about to jump off the building.
Speaker 6: They have to broadcast this podcast on Fox jumping off the building during some of their highest rated programs. So I don't know if that's Sean Hannity or whatever, but if they want to give you a spot on the five, no, No, I'm not. I'm not not hostings before I know you did.
Speaker 5: I have never I've always told.
Speaker 4: Them, no exclusive decision making.
Speaker 5: Exclusive decision making about what about what.
Speaker 4: Goes on show itself. No, our show can't tell us to have guests who guests ought to be. There's no corporate line, there's no this is industry across corporation.
Speaker 5: Five million a year and you're ownership stake in Fox Corporation.
Speaker 4: I do that.
Speaker 7: But that see, I'd have to restructure at all.
Speaker 5: Of course, Tiff, but just theoretically so long.
Speaker 4: You know how some artists will have to own their masters. We have to own our masters, own our masters.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, I would I al would have some I would have some structure in there that we would come together on as a trio and say, you know, with the equity and the money and all of that, has got to be some sort of HBCU initiative. They got to set up a studio in the hood on the South side of Chicago. They got to have a spot in Atlanta, like they gonna be in the blackest areas across the bench.
Speaker 7: But I's so.
Speaker 5: Good to one thing.
Speaker 1: The reason why I really appreciate my pole questions and my focus grouping with you all today is because I think one we're showing people that there is a way to get to yes, especially if you consider a model of no permanent friends, no permanent enemies, just permanent interests. There are things that we can utilize these toxic people, these toxic places for it ensure a more just and equitable outcome for our people. And I just want to remind our folks that you can count on us for this type of advice. Swiss and Tim, if you didn't do this with elon, call us up.
Speaker 5: We got you. But I love this. Thank y'all. That was my that was my thing. I just wanted to get into it a little bit.
Speaker 7: Okay, Well I like that discussion, and I actually you're joking, but I actually do wish Swiss and Tim had called you.
Speaker 5: I think they should call well all of us. We got some ideas for them.
Speaker 1: Really, like all these folks, who are, you know, trying to do the right thing, and I think sometimes personal interests get in the way. I'm not even saying that they didn't do it, but I think that we probably could have sharpened them. Like I'm sharper because I talked to y'all. Y'all just has a great ideas. I didn't think about none of that. They should have cast y'all.
Speaker 4: Me if if help in the community, if our collective liberation is their goal. Yeah, And I just think that people negotiating power show up with all different sorts of reasons. There are reasons. There are certain groups that won't sign on to certain letters. There are reasons there are public voices. Tiffany, you didn't hear. I didn't hear. Angela, you didn't hear. And it's not because they lost their voice, but rather than negotiated it away, there was something that was more valuable than their own personal autonomy over their voice. So I don't I don't subscribe to anybody's belief system around why they do what it is they do and sell what they sell and buy what they buy. You got to share with me what that expressed is and I don't have to have judgment about it. You want to make all the best money, you can't go do it. But if the.
Speaker 1: Moral of this story is we are apparently open to lots of unique distribution deals, and until then we got to figure out some kind of way to pay these bills. If you mad at us, tweet us, We'll be back to the East, my brother to the East factory.
Speaker 4: We expect to see you. I'm just saying they were named checked.
Speaker 5: I just keep shout no money.
Speaker 4: I am honestly tired of decisions being made on behalf of us.
Speaker 7: They do not benefit us.
Speaker 10: One of the things that did strike home close to close to home is the fact that they increased they wanted to increase taxes on cancer treatment. Personally, I think I have had a relative or someone close to me just and I go through the treatment and it's not cheap.
Speaker 7: I don't think there is a specific lead up.
Speaker 9: We are doing it scared, we are doing it tired, but we are doing it forgredless and let me tell you this will have an impact in the future.
Speaker 5: And that's what we're here for this bill.
Speaker 7: We can't let it past. We want to reject it completely and that's where we're here. It's our duty to protest against the bill.
Speaker 5: Kenya is read by poverty. We have no education.
Speaker 10: Most of our people have learned, they cannot rive, they cannot read, and the government still wants to to to pull away the budget. It's really shocking. To learn that we are living in a country where youth are losing their lives for merely exercising their constitutional rights.
Speaker 6: What you just heard are the voices of the young people leading a revolution across the country of Kenya. If you have paid attention to the news this week, you may have seen that five young people were shot as they stormed the parliament, their version of Congress. And I just wanted to take a quick moment and try to explain how we got here and what's going on. And as I do this, I hope that you guys will note some of the parallels between what's happening in Kenya and what's happening right here in America. So I want to start with Kingy's President, William Rudo. He came to power in twenty twenty two by appealing to the common people. He even called himself the hustler, and he was vowing to offer economic ease for people. He called himself the anti establishment candidate, and he wanted to implement policies to make sure that there was more money in Kenyon's pocket. So I want to talk about this election very quickly. So in twenty twenty two, sixty five percent of Kenya's twenty two zero point one million registered voters turned up to cast ballots. What's interesting about Kenya is approximately seventy five percent of their population is within the range of eighteen and thirty five years old. That's a pretty big deal when you look at economic opportunity like global markets, look at that and say, wow, that's something we want to tap into. Why that mattered, I remember reading at the time of this election, that's a pretty significant drop off in their vote. The drop in numbers for participation was blamed on lack of voter education, low interest, but mainly that the youth did not show up. So when we say seventy five percent of Kenya's population is young folks, they account for more than seventy of seventy five percent of the population. They only comprised about forty percent of the voting population the people who actually showed up in vote, so that was about nine million people. Now take us to what was happening at that time. Kenya's govern needs to raise money because the country has to function. They also have to pay two point seven billion dollars or they need to raise two point seven billion dollars to pay interest on their national debt. The United States has the same thing. They're trying to reduce their budget deficit. We go through this here in the United States, and of course they want to keep the government running. So shortly after Ruto the president, is elected, he began an aggressive campaign that everybody should pay their fair share in taxes. He took away subsidies, so, you know, people got fuel subsidies for gas, he took that away. People got subsidies for flour, a big.
Speaker 7: Deal in Kenya. He took that away.
Speaker 6: He signed a finance bill in twenty twenty three that was unpopular, you know, featured a tax on salaries for housing. It did pass, but it wasn't popular. Some proposals were so egregious that Kenya Supreme the version of their Supreme Court, blocked some of his tax proposals. How did Rudo respond by a threat to disregard the courts entirely. We've heard similar rhetoric happening here in the United States. Now, the Parliament, which again is like their version of Congress. They are attempting to raise this money to keep the country functioning, and they're doing this by raising taxes on a range of daily items and services like internet data. So imagine tomorrow if America said you're going to be charged every time those the social media we just talked about, for all those hours that you spend, for every two and a half hours you're spending, you're going to start paying for that. That's what happened in Kenya gas. They raise taxes on gas. Imagine tomorrow if you can't get from point A to point B because prices have doubled or tripled. Bank transfers, diapers, Imagine if you're a mom and you have kids and the cost has gone up significantly. These are all things that we're struggling with here in the United States. I also want to remind you just in May, we hosted President Rudou here for a state dinner at the White House. President Biden lawded praise on him. He was celebrated. Now, all people in Kenya were already struggling before these tax proposals, So during this state dinner, people were struggling. How did President Rudo come here to the United States By chartering a private jets? He a luxury private jet. Now he could have used the Presidential jet or Kenya's National Air Carrea. He decided to charter a private jet and a lot of people are seeing some of his aggressive stands on a lot of these issues, very similar to a dictator, that of a dictator. So this is the state of things that were happening in Kenya. And now all those young people who some participated in the election, some didn't, but now they've taken to the streets because they're frustrated these taxes they have. They see no future, they're you know, see no hope. And when you have a people who feel that way, of course they're going to erupt. So the protests began in Nairobi and quickly spread across the country. Things came to a head when a crowd of armed unarmed protesters reached the parliament and according to the Washington Post, gun shots could be heard from inside the parliament. In the streets, police beat protesters and fire tear gas at them. You can see some of these images on Al Jazeera English and BBC another reputable outlet to make their content available on YouTube. So as a result of this, five people lost their lives. By the way, in that shooting young people. You may have seen the SoundBite President Barack Obama's half sister. President Obama is a descendant of Kenya and his half sister is a resident of Kenya. She was tear gased live on air talking to the amazing reporter Larry Madowo, who's a reporter at CNN, and so you can see the violence for yourself. Here's where things stand now. President Rudo has declined to sign the contentious finance bill that would have hiked taxes, and parts of the Parliament building were set on fire. The military has been deployed their equivalent of a Secretary of defensee. He's ordered army troops to support the national police and dealing with the nationwide protests. And Rudeau had actually warned that his government is going to take a solid stance against these protests.
Speaker 7: What he has violence and anarchy.
Speaker 6: We've also heard messages similar to that, I want you guys to take a listen to hear from President Rudo.
Speaker 11: Directly following the passage of the bill, the country witnessed widespread expression of dissatisfaction with the bill as passed, regrettably resulting in the loss of life, destruction of property, and disaggression of constitutional institutions. On my own behalf and on behalf of these members and many other canyons. I sent my condolences to the families of those who lost their loved ones in this very unfortunate manner. Consequently, having reflected on the continuing conversation around the content of the Finance Bill twenty twenty four, and listening keenly to the people of Kenya who have said loudly that they want nothing to do with this Finance Bill twenty twenty four, I concede and therefore I will not sign the twenty twenty four Finance Bill.
Speaker 6: So the reason why I wanted to talk about this is because the obvious parallels that exist with our politics here in America and the youth led protests that brought this president to heal essentially the striking difference in the amount of people who voted versus the amount of people who protest it. I'm struck by that as well, and it just shows that a free people contry the government. A government does not control a free people. Kenya is not a democracy like ours, but they are a unitary presidential.
Speaker 7: Parlament.
Speaker 6: I believe I could be wrong. I don't want to get that wrong. Unitary presidential republic. Their unitary presidential republic, which essentially means that laws are passed by the elected officials who vote for them, which is kind of similar to our government too.
Speaker 7: So it's just a striking thing.
Speaker 6: I think we should talk about what's happening in the continent more, and so when this violence erupted in Kenya, I thought it was timely to address and just lay out what's happening there and see the parallels happening here. And will we see something like that happen here with young folks and you know, elected of leaders getting in office, adopting very dictator like language. All of those things should be scary, and we're seeing a lot of that happen across the globe. So we'll keep our eye on Tenyu r.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 4: Were the alude to what we see happen in Kenya, except the people who were demonstrating had a very different, I would imagine worldview here in the United States, the folks who attacked the capital and disrupted their constitutional ability as certification of the next president, those folks intended to arrest power as well. They intended to be a free people governing freely over the elected officials in In other words, you are my delegate as a representative in Congress, not my trustee, which means a delegate says you do what I say do. A trustee is advised to use their own wisdom, life skills, and own knowledge to reach a decision. But I respect what's happening in Kenya. I respect dissent in the United States. What I'm not cool with is the belief that you can arrest a free and democratically election did government because you disagree with a vote or decision they may have made.
Speaker 5: Oh, I.
Speaker 1: Just I wouldn't compare what's happening with Kenya with the insurrection.
Speaker 4: The story itself, and the way in which we discussed it and heard it was a direct comparison between democracy and actually, oh, I don't.
Speaker 7: I didn't hear that at all.
Speaker 1: I think that I heard someone who was functioning like a dictator, similar to Trump, who has been forced to deal with what the people actually want. The power of the people is should always to me, should it should always win?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 5: I'm not talking about a small minority of folks.
Speaker 1: I think Tip was saying that the largest demographic in Kenya's young people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and in comparison, half the United States right.
Speaker 7: Believe you're comparing them to Yeah, that so to me, those are completely different.
Speaker 4: The issues in which they're standing for and advocating for is not where I take issue. I'm simply saying that the the what is like is people rising up to petition their government.
Speaker 1: And I think that we can compare them then to the civil rights movement or to Black Lives Matter protests during George Floyd, I.
Speaker 7: Anyuary sixth wasn't rising up to petition their government.
Speaker 5: No, that was a they were trying to reject election results.
Speaker 4: Half the country believe that they were rising up against a corrupt government that fixed them a life.
Speaker 1: But I think there's a difference between the belief of a false belief system about something and like actually working towards a more just and perfect union.
Speaker 4: No, but who gets to decide me me right now?
Speaker 5: Damn it?
Speaker 4: Nope, No, but half the country believes and something extremely different than I do.
Speaker 7: But Andrew, but to compare them to like to pro unarmed protesters.
Speaker 4: I'm not comparing their issues of what they're advocating for.
Speaker 1: But they're not insurrection, not even the issues exactly. It's not I know you're not comparing the issues, but even what happened there. I think is so dangerous to compare that Toanuary sixth.
Speaker 4: But what I understood the point to have been, which is the people should govern their government. If that is the thesis, and we can disagree about what manner and measure, But if you begin the conversation with the people and ended with the people, are the people, the majority, the people of free people out to govern their government?
Speaker 5: The free people ought to the government ought to work on behalf of the people who pay.
Speaker 4: Sure as trustees and not as delegates.
Speaker 5: Sure, oh, I know, I think they should be delegates. I think that's the reason why we can call and write our legislators, legislators to let them know what we want them to do.
Speaker 4: Would they show up at debate?
Speaker 1: Why would the debate in the conscious Let me just show you how I see this differently. What I think is jacked up about Americans politics is that they are delegates to campaign donors and trustees by the people who voted them in and pay them.
Speaker 5: I think that is problem.
Speaker 1: I think here we have people who rose up like an air of spring, or like with George Floyd protesters, or like the civil rights movement, or like I mean, we can go on and on and on, or like or like us on on on slave ships, or uprisings like Nat Turner, like those things were just they were right. They might be against the law, but they were right. Some civil unrest is deserved and it is fact based. I am not going to defend and protect ill founded, misinformed, brainwashed people who tried to rebel against the very thing that our ancestors built, and they said they would forever protect the same people who so Trump flags, Confederate flags and American flags like they were synonymous.
Speaker 4: It could be to me in your opinion, it is not just my opinion.
Speaker 5: It is based on fact.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm saying, who gets to be the arrs.
Speaker 5: I'm deciding it. I'm if I can read, if I.
Speaker 4: Can read true, gets to decide what is righteous.
Speaker 7: And just Andrew, But that is so dangerous.
Speaker 4: If there's something dangerous about calling out what is the fact, which.
Speaker 7: Is to me, it is dangerous.
Speaker 5: But you're not calling out the facts. You're saying that the people who are the insurrectionists are the same as the Kenyans.
Speaker 6: Right, And you're complating these young people fighting for survival and you're you're comparing them to that we're not.
Speaker 4: Having the same conversation. We clearly we're not. We're not, and it's okay. It's a matter of misunderstanding and miscommunication. That's why we're not having the same conversation.
Speaker 1: Can we can we clarify so we're not miscommunicating. I don't want that to happen.
Speaker 4: This is not a debate about what was righteous and what wasn't righteous in a in an uprising and a protest or a civil rights movement versus January sixth insurrection on the Capitol. Sure so say half the country, And if you.
Speaker 5: Don't mind clarifying this part, can you please tell me what set of facts.
Speaker 4: The majority of people believed Plessy versus Ferguson was rightly decided by the United States Supreme Court at the time, welmingly correct. But that's any of these movements are being measured in the moment in which they occur. We are, we're dealing with what is happening at the time. But that's another point.
Speaker 11: My use.
Speaker 4: What I would hope I want to try to communicate is is I'm not passing judgment on the righteousness of the of the goal of protests of whatever uprising reaction to government. But if we can all agree that the object of the affection is the government, the folks we are trying to get the attention of to act in our interests and on our behalf is the government. If if that is like in the United States, as it is like in Kenya, that they were were trying to get those in leadership in government to take an action, It doesn't matter what they what they are asking that government to do is all I'm saying. It causes can be righteous one day and non righteous the next day. And maybe if you're a believer in the arc of history that over time history will write this way, then maybe you have a different motivation. But people rise up every day in different places for all different types of reasons. And I applaud that. I'm simply talking about where the guardrails around it, so that there was an institution left afterwards.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you this, Do you ever think there's a time to not protect an institution?
Speaker 4: Yeah, if it's corruptly built.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think that's what's happening here. Yes, ch Chip articulated all of the reasons why this man who's functioning as a dictator has taken actions that are in direct conflict with what the people want, So it sounds like they were uprising against that.
Speaker 5: I think the concern that I have, and I don't think it was your intention, is the what.
Speaker 1: Appeared to be a conflation between people who refuse to accept election results went and terrorized people who I worked with, who I know very well. Smeared shit on Nancy Pelosi's desk. They have been some of them arrested and slapped on the hand and Kenya, they were taken and took on, violently, took on police officers at the capitol. I don't think you're meaning to say that these folks, young folks in Kenya protesting are the same as the January sixth folks who were protesting things that were not fact based and actually trying to overturn an election and a democracy.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's what.
Speaker 4: This conversation was. A debate around the merits of the movement, we'd be having a different conversation. So absolutely, I'm not making the debate for me was never about the merit of what any one I was standing for. There wouldn't be a conversation if it was. If that, for me, a question between what's clearly right and what's clearly wrong. I'm saying, if everybody is positioning the government to take an act consistent with what they believe, those beliefs very wildly amongst amongst different people in different groups. And so all I'm saying is I stand for the ability for people to be able to activate and petition their government not to overthrow, because we're not talking about a value judgment about which motive for acting is better than the other or more righteous than the other. But all I'm saying is there are guard rails around how far the demands of your government are until you reach the point of quite frankly revolution.
Speaker 1: Right, And I think that we have to remember that even in the comparisons, some of these things are apples and oranges, Because even though we had someone who wanted to function as a dictator in the White House who was leaving at the time of January sixth, there are other countries who are actually under the thumb and the rule of dictatorship. And I think that might be what struck a chord for me and where I might have misunderstood. So my apologies, I suppose, are we.
Speaker 7: Hop on time or do I have time? To point out another point of contention.
Speaker 1: I think you should go for it because I think there'll be people who are interested in this.
Speaker 6: Here's my challenge, Andrew. Because you're saying so, say you when we're saying no, it's not. You know, January sixth, they were wrong. You're saying so, say you have to believes right half the country believes them. So I do think I'm understanding what you're saying. My pushback on that, and deep, deep concern about that, is I think there are other folks who echo your sentiment. We see it every day on cable news broadcasts where we are normalizing this behavior, this thought process. So when you say that to me, that sounds as bizarre as saying, oh, this is just like when the Nazis rose up in Germany.
Speaker 4: Adding a value judgment to it. All I said is is you you identified an issue upon which you agreed for people rising up, And I'm simply acknowledging I didn't mean it, even as a point of contention or debate, that there is another constituency that is diametrically opposed to what it is that we believe, and right now, in a country where unbiased institutions are supposed to be holding us down, keeping us honest to the values and the principles of the country. All those things are right now under tremendous strain. Tremendous strain. And guess what in some cases Isilan cannon Ie down here in Florida over this federal case. The post ain't holding. And so imagine that she's joined by a whole court that starts to allow the group of people who charge the capital on the sixth and believe, completely contrary to what I believe, end up in charge of the goddamn you know, the house, all of it. And in some places we may argue they already are in charge of it, but truly in charge of it, which means which means our Alito and his wife they're direct replicas of the other non eight members of the court outside of themselves, that we have a core of Alito in his wife, and now they are the arbiters of what's good justin right, people who now flew flags in solidarity with January sixth, in that movement sits on the highest court in the land.
Speaker 7: That has happened throughout American history.
Speaker 4: Correct. All I'm saying is is all if we're just acknowledging that these institutions exist, that there's a target of the of the people's affection or their disaffection, and that's the government. We have to then also believe that that government then becomes the arbiter of what's right, what's true, what's lawful, and what isn't.
Speaker 5: It's supposed to be.
Speaker 4: But yes, and that's all I'm saying is so you can have whatever cause you want, whatever cause you're but to what you're attempting to have happened is the government that didn't take action, and your interest and those interests are not the same. That's why they're not.
Speaker 5: And yeah they're not.
Speaker 4: January sixth is different than civil rights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it sounded like they were January six ers, and they're more civil rights than January six ers.
Speaker 5: They're literally fighting.
Speaker 4: If I were comparing the movements, that would be a conclusion that might be drawn. But I'm not comparing the righteousness of the goal of whatever the movement might be. Simply saying who they're trying to get to take action.
Speaker 5: Right, I'm saying it's a dictator, right, a dictator who?
Speaker 4: But who who was bought to heal by saying I will not sign this bill in the law.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just want you to know that if Trump gets back election, if Trump is elected again and there's something crazy that he does, I'm going to be the Kenyan protesters.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: And there were moments about that that were made available to us all every day almost of all four years, where we could have been that.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I've just said saying I think that that is more akin to the Civil rights movement than the insurrectionists.
Speaker 5: I think that it is our responsibility to object human right.
Speaker 4: And if we are debating the righteousness and the merits of a movement, we can go into that. I didn't think that was what we were doing, because it doesn't sound like there would be much of a debate if it were our January sixth people and their movements righteous and right and legual.
Speaker 5: I get it.
Speaker 1: Well on this, because we are clearly in protest land. We have a question about protests, or at least a suggestion.
Speaker 2: Hig native land. This is Valorie Dixon from Santa Ana, California. Last week you asked for suggestions for aspective strategy text plus our displeasure, but the Biden administration's role in the Israeli Palestinian conflict. Andrew suggested protesting at the Democratic National Convention. I have an alternative. I say that protest is an ineffective strategy. The only thing protesting that the DNC will accomplish is to ensure that every police officer in the Greater Chicago Land area receives overtime pay. I say during the DNC, we should express our displeasure by boycotting, don't watch, don't spend any money during that time, and if we do have to spend money, circulate those dollars within our own communities. Remember, during the Civil Rights era, the first effective protest was an economic one, the Montgomery bus boycott. Let's channel that thank you be blessed.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that thought.
Speaker 7: And she looks so fly y'all can't see her. She looks flat. She does look so flat.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, this show has been epic on all of the gray areas. And she was, like Andrewson protests.
Speaker 7: I wisht plan that.
Speaker 1: Andrew the charge delegate trustee protester, what do you what do you say about this question here?
Speaker 4: About I love it, I love it. I mean, they're all do you want to.
Speaker 5: Boycott the DNC. Our friend Mignon Moore is chairing the DNC.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't say that, that's what I was personally going to do. What I was saying was there are a lot of ways in which we can show a protest vote. Yeah, and November, ain't it. Let's let's think of all the alternatives before we get there to show our displeasure.
Speaker 1: I said.
Speaker 4: So I'm with her economic go for.
Speaker 1: She's talking about, uh, boycotting the DNC, not watching to express displeasure.
Speaker 5: Tive, what say you on this?
Speaker 7: I think that's a great idea.
Speaker 6: Actually, we were just talking about why don't we support like black owned platforms, and you know, it's like, why don't we collectively move and not tune into these things? Not nonsense like I always say, spend our dollars within the community.
Speaker 7: I love this idea.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't know what our plans are around the DNC, but I support tuning it out. But the honest is a Landam Lampard is at the DNC, then people can they can still tune in the native land.
Speaker 7: That doesn't mean they have the wise gabbl to gavel coverage of the DNC.
Speaker 1: Are you all worried about any backlash if the viewership is down for the DNC and it's up for the rn C, what that might mean from now or turn out in November.
Speaker 6: The only reason I say no is because Fox News continues to lap both MSNBC and CNN in terms of viewership. They're even right wing conservative podcast and talk radio they do very well because they like their ignorant echo chamber. I think the left side of things, it's a bigger tent, and so there's more appeal to talk about different things. So I don't think that impacts anything at all. I also think there's a thousand things screaming for our attention. The DNC is happening in August. It's the vacation month where people are pretty much gone out of town at the beach chilling. I don't know too many people who were waking up like waiting to see that gabble strike so they can see the speeches. The last time I remember being excited about the DNC two thousand and four was in Boston when President Obamas was the first time we heard him on a big national stage. Reveen now Sharden gave one of the best speeches that year.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately it was overshadowed because Obama spoke. But that was the year where it was like this is major. And then when Obama was leaving office in twenty twelve, yeah, twenty sixteen. In twenty sixteen, it was so packed at the DNC in Philadelphia. I abandoned even listening to President Obama's final speech because I couldn't even get into suite, that's how packed it was. Me and the Uber driver left and I was so hungry, and I was like, do you mind you want to get something to eat? And he was like yeah, And we literally pulled over at this Philly cheese steak spot and he turned the radio all the way up and a group of us sat there listen to Obama talk.
Speaker 7: After that, I just felt like the whole thing was boring.
Speaker 5: Well, what do you think?
Speaker 1: I just think that we have had a very long show, and I would like to encourage you all to find some of the young rising superstars in the Democratic Party that will be on that stage at least in the evening. I anticipate that Wes Moore will be on that stage, the Jasmine Crockett will be on that stage, the Faith Leaders will be on that stage, and I want to be showing because if she doesn't have a good showing, you know, as a black woman chair of the DNC, that could be problematic. But I also want you all to follow your conscience. Andrew wants you to go back.
Speaker 4: Well, no, I just want to say I was not advocating anybody protests.
Speaker 5: Don't watch you said, just don't protest your vote.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my point. There are a lot of ways to show your displeasure. There's a lot of ways to sit in the signal before your first and last choice being I ain't vote November. That's right.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 6: Can I ask a quick question, Angela, you're saying you want Mignon to have a good showing Minyon More, who's sharing the dancy the convention this year, Does a good showing mean good ratings?
Speaker 5: I think so. I think I think she needs a good turnout.
Speaker 1: I think they need to figure there's gonna be protests in Chicago, so I think they need to have a good pivot plan for how they address that. I know that she's trying to ensure that there's general people represented, multi generationally, that the platform is diverse and includes all the big tenth that you just talked about TIF, so yeah, going in a cause to action, I think my call to action would be that we figure out how to have the conversations amongst us to make us uncomfortable. Our podcast ran long today because we had some of those. Thank God, we know each other for twenty years, so I know today was not Andrew's breaking news. He's about to join Fox News as a contributor. He actually does not want to join the next insurrection in kse Scheller planning one. But sometimes it just we have to have tough conversations to figure out what people's actual intent are, and we have words and phrases that bump us. So in conflict, try to figure out a way to get to peace, not by soothing over the actual conflict, but by talking to each other like you love each other.
Speaker 5: That's my call to action.
Speaker 4: Can do it?
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 4: I would call to action for those who do plan on watching the DNC and it's week of activity, and it may be some entertaining nights of television that everywhere anywhere in this country where you have the opportunity to help use that time to organize and last minute register and figure out how we move in friends, family members, and others to the polls. You know, everybody reflects on the civil rights movement, but only what five percent of black folks in this country actually actively took a step in action to participate in retrospect. We all, you know, righteous, and then in the moment, friends are really fleeting. So I would just hope that if you think like I think, that this is the consequence of this election can be dangerous, not just for our country, but coming down my block, my driveway, into my garage, that level of problem that we don't have to guess about it and ask other people about it, you will feel it in your own home and your own family. And if that doesn't motivate you to take an action, if I saw a threat that I could get involved with then possibly prevent coming at my family, my house, my folks, absolutely there was another thing in the world that would stop me from an intervention. So what's your intervention?
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, I'll be really quick because we're about to lose the videographers.
Speaker 6: I mind has nothing to do with politics. I just want to say I was in New York and these people kept walking these dogs past me. Everybody knows I love dogs, And then I realized they were the same people walking different dogs. And they told me they volunteered at a shelter, that they just show up these animal shelters and take the dogs out for walks. So, if you are able, find the local animal shelter in your neighborhood and show up, volunteer, take the dogs out for a walk, give them some love, and adopt.
Speaker 1: Don't shop, all right, well, adopt, don't shop. Protest if you want to. And I don't even remember my call to action.
Speaker 5: Oh love on your people. Talk to them right and you're comfortable.
Speaker 1: Conversations uncomfortable, No nonsense though, no none nonsens.
Speaker 5: Okay, Andrew and tiff thank you for Native Lampod. Look at me. Thank you for Native Lampod. Thank you for this safe space. I love y'all.
Speaker 4: Deep Okay.
Speaker 1: Before we end the show, I want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Lampod. Just know that we are available on every every platform or you get your podcasts and on YouTube. New episode drop every single Thursday. You can follow us on social media. We are Angela Rie, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gillim. Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 5: There are one hundred and thirty one days until election day.
Speaker 7: Welcome home y'all morning.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining the Natives attention of with the info and all of the latest Rock Gilliam and Cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you, sincerely for the patients. Reason for your choice is clear, so grateful took the to execute roads. Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth.
Speaker 7: Even in case.
Speaker 5: We welcome home to all of the Natives wait, Thank you.
Speaker 7: Welcome y'all.
Speaker 4: Welcome.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with the Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from our Heart Radio, visit that iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.