Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Mexi and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 3: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation law firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell.
Speaker 2: We are lucky. We are gonna be speaking with Kershawan Yabusele. He played thirty two minutes. He had seventeen points and four rebounds. What he needs now is a sixer stafford to hand him the headset and there he goes grabbing the headset. Gershaw Toma, get us across the way. Congratulations, what a ball game. You were four for four from three to start. Unbelievable. Your thoughts with the victory here over San Antonio, I was saying, it was really.
Speaker 1: Like a team victory to ninety four. From the beginning into the half. We have a give up, play together and to night wasn't any important to win for us.
Speaker 2: So you're the veteran. Here comes Joel back out, a conquering hero. That was wild, wasn't it That second quarter with drum and Wemby and then Joel that and that kind of fired you guys up, didn't it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah we I mean me personally, I didn't know what happened now. I was just trying to figure it out. But it was that we gotta you just win for buff with them, you know, So we did the word. We got the wins. That was the most important thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's Joel with a big high five. How about you guys basically drumming out. Joel went out. You play the last twenty seven minutes with no center. I mean you were playing center against your countryman. When Ben Yama tell me a little bit more about that. I mean, that was that was pretty good.
Speaker 1: You know, he's a he's a tough kid. He's uh, he's getting me involving game off the game, you know, So for me to be able to guard him, first of all, I was happy and you know, glance to be able to do that. But you know, I was just trying to be physical, uh, just trying to push him and bother him as much as possible.
Speaker 2: You know, it seemed like you, because you you know, you know him and you played with him, that you had a little bit of maybe confidence or swagger that maybe somebody else wouldn't. Would that be true?
Speaker 1: I mean I flew against him for a month and a half, so for sure, I definitely know him and know what he likes to do. Uh, how you get his rhythm and everything, you know, so I would just try to stop him and you know, bothering.
Speaker 2: You showed an unbelievable You have that explosive ability that people maybe they saw in the Olympics with your jam on Lebron, but you showed it again many times tonight. That's got to be a fun part of the game for you, right, Oh, yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was pretty. It was fun tonight. You know, it was a really seemed Victorian like I said, and we had to find everybody was happy, you know, the crowd was there the night.
Speaker 2: It was a made last thought and I'll let you go. And we so much appreciate your time, Gershwan. But do you feel like your team is kind of coming together? And you've won now five out of your last like ten game, you feel like you're turning the corner.
Speaker 1: I mean, for sure, we knew it was a long season. You know, it's hunt and down. That's how it is, you know, So we just got to stay together and figure it out. But I feel I will definitely play more together. We stay together, and this is the team.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys, Thank you.
Speaker 4: You're still Philadelphia. A seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino.
Speaker 2: Max Together, Oh Baby Love, Pet to Beat on the Back down against we'ponion Have.
Speaker 4: Powers by Slabs of the seventy six Ers postgame Show Right Now On ninety seven five, the fanatic.
Speaker 2: Sixers hold off to beat the Spurs one eleven, one oh six. Our post game coverage is brought to you by Parks Casino sellout crowd just shy of twenty thousand fans on hand. Here at the center, six Ers snare a double digit win total with ten. Now they're ten and seventeen, the Spurs fifteen and fourteen. But wow, at Action Pack night, we had technicals, we had ejections. The Sixers hold off San Antonio with Maxi nearing a triple double. He had thirty two points, ten rebounds, the last of which was really key. He ended up with three steals and eight assists, five threes. Another huge play down the stretch, he had a jam and a three point field goal, missed the free throw, but on that free throw Kelly ubre put it back in and that was a cushion. The Sixers kneaded down the stretch and they get a five point win. Wembin Yama had seven blocks in the first quarter. He ended up with eight, this on the heels of a ten block game on Saturday. Twenty six points, nine rebounds, four assists, thirty six and a half points. And the thing his size, obviously, is the thing that really out. He's a seven foot three inch player, but he's only twenty years old. He's the reigning Western Conference Player of the Week All Defensive first team player last year could have won the award, and he was the initial Defensive Player of the Month award winner. I mean, just a sensational talent. And the wild thing is he shoots threes. He shot nineteen shots total, thirteen of them were threes. Now, who knows if that dynamic changes his shots? Spectrum is so prouder everyone talks about these days. They ended up with six players in double figure. Sixers got nineteen from Paul George Ubre had ten, seventeen from Ya Basile. How about Caleb Martin back with almost twenty seven minutes of action twelve points. He made three threes and they were forced to play Caleb Martin yabsal as kJ Martin left with a left foot injury, Sorena's there didn't return, and Andre Drummond had his left great toe, which is his big toe. He left, and like I said earlier, the Sixers played the last twenty seven within bead ejected the last twenty seven minutes of the game with nobody taller than six to eight against the tallest player in the league. So an exciting win is a Sixers game, their fifth victory at home, five point win. It's on to Boston before they take on the Utah Jazz on the twenty eighth. Matt Murphy joins this post game. Who'd you talk to, pg Murph? What'd he say?
Speaker 3: Kayleb Martin?
Speaker 2: Caleb Martin? What did he say?
Speaker 3: One of the many important players this game had at all it? I mean, it had a couple unfortunate sixers, injuries even pop up in the midst of an injection and unejection, then the double lots of technicals as you touched on. But Kayleb Martin, he looked at a loss for words, almost talking about Maxi's second half, the twenty one out of his thirty two points after halftime, just dominant down the stretch, the game winning basket, left and right defensive plays, and he described it as a takeover. Heyl, what a crazy game. Joelle gets ejected in the second quarter. Andre Drummond got uninjected before that. Tyree's just had a huge second half with twenty one, thirty two, ten and eight for him in the game. What did you just see from Tyrese Maxi down the stretch.
Speaker 5: Takeover, just taking over. He just doing doing what he does, doing what you know he's what he's capable of doing. You who shout out to t right there, just being able to take over the game right there. The game was messed up in a very very beginning, but we credit to all the guys who just stayed in there.
Speaker 3: You had three important threes in this game. I know you've been through a lot so far this early season. How have you been able to stay ready?
Speaker 5: Just mentality, Just trying to ship my mentality, Just knowing that you can't hide from the games, You can't hide from from that poach and you just know that that the game and in the days don't stop just because something is wrong with you. So just trying to stay at mittally, just approach every day and just find progress and just be ready.
Speaker 3: Wednesday, the NBA on Christmas Day in Boston, five o'clock eastern. What are you looking forward to?
Speaker 5: I'm just looking just to compete. I'm looking I'm looking forward to a crave the environment on a special date for everybody, and hopefully we give everybody look him game and just go in there and just do what we did tonight and just just.
Speaker 3: Carry them home out and you're pretty good against the Celtics. Thanks kaln appreciated, thank you.
Speaker 2: So we're waiting Nick Nurse. But the phrase unejected, we don't we don't hear that very often. Explain that further, Well, that.
Speaker 3: Was Drummond, So the headlines will be that Embiid was ejected with two fifty nine left in the second quarter. But at the eight thirteen mark, Drummond was ejected after he they said he tripped Victor Wembanyama, and then he was unejected because they said he didn't trip Victor Wembanyama, and there was a flop on Victor Wembanyama. But then when they took the second tea away. Follow me here, everyone, they took the flop away from Wembanyama. So the Sixers had a maxi point taking off the board. He should have had thirty three points.
Speaker 2: That was right. Once say what's the replay, they realized that Victor was not pushed, and it turns out I think I think coach maybe in the press press conference, let's listen.
Speaker 6: It, and said there was basically nothing happened. Is that how it was explained to you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, you said, I knew. I mean, obviously we shot the text, so I knew they I mean then they got brought drum back, right, so they obviously rescind it, and they flipped it, flipped the text. Obviously, That's about all I I.
Speaker 2: Was just curious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know it.
Speaker 7: It's hard. I think it's hard to throw somebody out of a game for kind of that. But that's what I was kind of wondering, how we're throwing people out for that. But again, I didn't watch the tape yet on it, so I think I better leave my comments to just that right there. Video around the scene though, and it looks like she came up to you and said I messed up.
Speaker 4: She did?
Speaker 3: She did.
Speaker 7: I wasn't really, I was kind of doing something else when she she I think she was saying that to somebody else. But I did hear say that. Yep, yep, that's obviously you know, they flipped the call, so they said that and she admit it.
Speaker 2: Yet in terms.
Speaker 6: Of the rest of the game, obviously Tyrese had a big second half, but felt like started the fourth quarter, you guys probably had some of your best offensive possessions at the season in terms.
Speaker 2: Of ball movement.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, like, what do you think helped create that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean, I just think again we got in I think I think late in the first half we started getting a little little more rhythm of moving and our guys were doing a good job of setting kind of multiple screens and slipping out of some setting when they thought they needed to just again it and it was creating enough enough separation to move it to the next action and then somebody else would come into it. I mean, it's good to see it's something.
Speaker 5: There's something we.
Speaker 7: Work on quite a bit, you know, versus switching, and we don't get to it a lot of times, but we did and kind of kept it going in the second half. But I do I will say, I think we sprinkled in just enough transition here and there, you know, a layup and transition of three in transition, and and again we finally you know, it was nice that that our guys realized that Wemby was blocking a lot of shots. He probably noticed in the second half too, that they were slamming on the brakes and the paint and just seeing where Yabu was right and kicking it out. You know, he's going to try to block everything. There's going to be somewhere to kick it back. Out and I thought we did a decent job of that too.
Speaker 3: Everything that happened tonight, just all the adversity you guys kind of had to battle through. Does this kind of feel like a way that can maybe galvanize the group a little bit and you.
Speaker 5: Know, continue to put you guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, listen, I think that again, it seems like the strangeness of the season seems to work its way, keep keep working its way into things and and uh again, over the last you know, ten or twelve games, we've played pretty well in most of them, right, So again we just whatever happens, we just kind of keep on going. I think we lost end up losing three guys in the end. Joel and Drum and kJ both are getting both were out of the game late. So obviously we're really small playing there. But they went kind of small too, other than Wemby when he was out. They were really small. But we we matched Yabu with Wemby's minutes in the second half, just just to have some That was the only kind of only big we had left. We were almost went to Bona a couple of times too, but they kind of went so small we decided to say small you think.
Speaker 3: Would led the girsh on success defensively against.
Speaker 7: Well, he's he's obviously played against him and knows him. But he just was.
Speaker 4: He just was.
Speaker 7: First, first of all, he was he was working really hard, right, he was putting his body on him. He was making all this catch us tough. I mean, I mean, I think you know he really heard us from the perimeter or not really anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: Just again, it was it was a stretch where they just started putting their head down and driving, and you know, we were we were trying to decide are we going to adjust our defense, our play, our kind of our base package. And we played our base package for a lot of it, which means you know, we're we're helping and we're rotating and stuff like that. And it kept kind of finding when when beyond the back and then it was like we needed we need to stick with him and try to just guard the ball better one on one. So, uh, you know, but again, I just think he just worked. He just worked and was physical with him.
Speaker 5: Games.
Speaker 3: Paul's had a little bit of an up and down season shooting the ball on the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: Do you like the quality of shots he's getting in crunched on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I think I would say this. I thought we missed him about three times in a row when he was open for threes. We had a chance to make the next pass or hit him on a on a little flare screen thing we were running a couple of times. But but and then we tried to run it again and they actually covered it better than they did the two times before that. But then he drove, he turned around, drove and got that and one, which was huge, right uh. And that that's what excites me too, because you know, if he's going to be able to drive it and get to the rim and finish, then he's gonna be able to, you know, have a lot more to add to his his options of what he can do. He's been shooting a lot of pressed up jumpers, but you know he's pretty good at those. He's pretty good at sitting down and shaking people for threes, even though he's covered a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially season yea mechanically that everything look proved to you, Yes, yes he did.
Speaker 7: I mean again, he hasn't been feeling great, so this rest rest has him I think a little bounce here. He also had a dunk and transition. I mean he was fighting like heck two, that was really good to see.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think that was probably his best game of the year, you know, where he just you know, really looked good at both ends and and uh I kind of figure out how to fit in and where to you know, where to go again. So yeah, it's excellent to see. Is he's been working really hard on his shooting just mechanics that you mentioned, so it's good to see it pay off.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody six years coach Nick Nurse. Interesting comments there about both George and Caleb Martin. Yaboo sle gritty win right, just a tough, hard nosed victory. Murph.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And speaking of Caleb Martin, that's who I was down there talking to after the game. And credit to Tarren Hatcher in the NBC Sports Philadelphia broadcast. She shared a story late in this game tonight that we have to remember Caleb Martin missed three games recently with the shoulder impingement, and he was here putting up shots on Friday at after shoot around even though he didn't play that night. He wanted to make some shots see it going through in this building, and it paid off. Tonight, him and Yabuu Slee were huge three for five, both of them from three off the bench. Obviously Maxi the standout stat line, but Yabu offensively defensively. You could have done this without his seventeen points and Caleb Martin's twelve points either against the Wimbin Yama led Spurs. This one really delivered. I mean, the only thing that was missing was a full game from the Sixers Big three, which has now in five outings failed to happen three times because of injury, and then the ejection for Embiid in the first half tonight, Right, So.
Speaker 2: Hopefully Joel will be able to go against Boston. And I don't mean this, you know, in any other way, but then he should be rested. He barely played right, and so that was a questionable call. But I think in the end it was probably a charge. And you know, whatever his reaction was, it was too much. He got the technical but then the back to back teas that that you know, it's hard to say, but that that's tough, right, Like whatever he said must have been, you know, enough to warrant according to the referee, that an ejection. But that was a shocker, right, like you're you saw the heave ho and sometimes refs do that like when they give it, but this was you're out. So that was that was a shocker. And I don't think I've ever seen him be that upset afterwards, right, I think when it really when he realized he was done.
Speaker 3: And it did look like he the ejection signal happened before he really let loose out there, So I mean some of it was after the fact, maybe in some sort of disbelief about the original call and then about the ejection call and all that. I do want your final thoughts heading into Boston on the NBA on Christmas Day slate. But quick thing on Wembin Yama. Because he took thirteen threes and made six of them. How about this stat? Sixty three percent of his shots are jump shots, thirteenth in the NBA. It's a list of mostly guards and wing players. His average shot distance is seventeen point seven feet, which is the same as Donovan Mitchell and Luka Doncic. And he's seven to three plus shoes, so he he has ranged.
Speaker 2: Now I gotta ask shit, you know, Arn had a scoop on Caleb? We did she had that stat right, And that's the inside stuff right there. That's a wild stand.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what, I do know who had that. That's from ESPN's Michael C. Wright, So thank you, Mike.
Speaker 2: I don't have a little attribution now, but that on the back end, right, that's wild because typically, you know, back in the day David Robinson Duncan any big of an era, you know, ag would be back to the basket, shooting closer from the block. Think about how beat started. He played down on the block, and yet you know at some point he's going to be able to do that, whether you know he develops a hook or whatever, but an amazing talent to be sure. And then he quickly drew the ire of the Philadelphia fans with that whole drummon scenario and the flopping and whatnot. But the bigger thing too for the Sixers is I go back to what coach said pregame, and that is, you know, try to claw back. And this was a type of victory in other words, for the Sixers, you know, inch by inch, quarterby court, game by game, get back to where you know, well five hundred into where they're playing consistent basketball, giving themselves a chance in every game and big performances from all kinds of different players tonight, none bigger than Maxi. You know, the dunk. I think having missed that three before kind of inspired the dunk. H He ends up stealing the ball at mid court from Champenny. Champenney then the only guy back and Maxie with a left handed dunk. I mean, with the game on the line, that was, you know, just enormous. And then a step back three on Jeremy so on, so really impressive. Maxie delivers again.
Speaker 3: Twelve and the fourth out of his twenty one in the second half, game high thirty two. Matt Murphy, Tom McGinnis our seventy six Ers Parks Casino post game show after a one to eleven, one to ZHO six win in Philly over the Spurs. Five games on the NBA on Christmas Day Slate. Spurs will actually play the Knicks to tip it off at noon. The middle game is the Sixers and the Celtics in Boston at five Eastern. We look forward to that. What are you expecting in the first meeting? What do you think Boston will be like? First meeting of the season between these two defending champs? How do you think that's gonna be well.
Speaker 2: Again, Tatum didn't play tonight in Orlando out with illness. But Boston obviously just an incredible season, not just last year, this year as well. It's a really difficult team. And for the Sixers at some point they have to be able to knock off Boston, and not just in the regular season, but in the postseason, right, And so it's, uh, you know, you gotta to me show to yourself, to the Sixers that you can beat them, right. It's this is a new group. Obviously, some of the guys have played, you know, against the Seas time and again, but to show and prove to your own self. You might know in your heart you can bet them, but you've got to be able to prove it. And you know conclusively no. So they're tough, there's no doubt about it. And again, hopefully the Sixers having been Maxie and Paul George ready to go. You've got some really good performances. It's gonna be a great game. It's a tremendous atmosphere. It's unbelievable in their soul many times with the crowd roaring. And again, every team that plays on Christmas it's like a it's like a stamp the league. As we've talked about in years past, the league gets dozens of calls or a dozen, let's say, but with other teams like wait, we warn a Christmas Day game and this rivalry and you know, certainly record wise not what maybe the league or anybody expected with the Sixers coming in there. But it should be a battle royale. And again it's a national television game, so we'll have the local call and it ought to be fun Christmas Day in Boston.
Speaker 3: One last thing, Caleb Martin. I just wanted to squeeze his stats in here against the Boston Celtics. Thirteen point six points per game on fifty percent shooting forty four from three over the past two seasons against the Celtics, Caleb.
Speaker 2: And he's gonna goud Brown and Tait alone on one besession.
Speaker 3: Tom, thank you so much. We'll talk on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Thank you holiday.
Speaker 3: Happy Holidays to you as well. And this was just a fun. When we have more stats to break down from this win over the Spurs one eleven, one oh six, we'll do that. We'll hear the highlights when we come back. We'll continue on next with our seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino. All right, welcome back to the Center in Philadelphia, where the Sixers just picked up a one to eleven one oh six win over the Spurs. Thirty two for Maxi, twenty six points, eight blocks for Victor Wembinyama. The Spurs are fifteen and fourteen, the Sixers are ten and seventeen. We did not get a full Embiid Wembinyama matchup because Embiid was ejected from the game after two technicals when he was whistled for a charge late in the first half. Two technicals and he was tossed, so he only saw first half action tonight. Nine points in the first quarter, fourteen minutes and twenty two seconds for him against the Spurs in the tenth win of the season. The Sixers failed to complete it with their full big three, so that had been the story coming in with Nick Nurse two and zero in games that Paul George Tyrese, Maxi, and Joel Embiid start and finish Tonight technically the fifth game they've played together, but Embiid did not finish the game. Either way, they get the win ten and seventeen. They'll go to Boston next on Wednesday for the NBA on Christmas Day Showdown. We continue on with our postgame show presented by Parks Casino. I'm Matt Murphy. One eleven one to oh six. The Sixers had two players leave the game with injury after having two sit coming in. Eric Gordon was out to begin with, as is Jared McCain as you likely know, but then Andre Drummond, who was also briefly ejected from this game. He ended up only playing six minutes and thirty nine seconds a injury forced him out of this game, and then kJ Martin later on in the game foot soreness. He didn't play down the stretch, so they didn't get out of it unscathed, but they did behind Maxi's late heroics, including a clutch three and and one dunk. He didn't make the free throw, but a left handed hammer dunk against Julian Champenny, who made five of the spurs eight threes in the fourth quarter to keep them around. The largest lead in the second half was fifteen for the Sixers, who looked like they might run away with this, but in the end things got closely contested and the Sixers hold on. We will hear in a moment the audio highlights with Tom mcguinness's calls. But before we do that, we'll hand out our stat of the game. We'll also go through the game high totals real quick, but first the team total six Ers forty two percent from the floor in the win, Spurs forty just under forty six percent. Sixers made sixteen threes, the Spurs made fifteen most of those late. As I mentioned, it was thirty six percent from deep for Philadelphia, thirty three for San Antonio. Six missed free throws for the Sixers seventeen of twenty three, only one for the Spurs, seventeen for eighteen. Six Ers won the rebounding battle forty seven to forty two and the turnover battle, forcing eighteen and only turning the ball over eleven times before the game high leaders. The stat of the game is the steals total for gershon Yabusele four steals, leading everyone with his seventeen points. He was huge on both ends of the floor, especially because of the way that this game went with players going in and out of the rotation. Yabuselee played almost thirty two minutes off the bench, seventeen points, four rebounds to assist, four steals in a block, he was a plus seven, went three for five from three. Like Caleb Martin off the bench, Paul George was a team high and game high plus fifteen in the plus minus column. We'll tell you the leading scorer and more, but in a moment, we are just past the top of the hour, so before we continue on with our Sixers post game, let's pause ten seconds for station identification here on the Sixers radio network. Busy night around the NBA with fourteen games, everybody in action except for the Pelicans and the Kings on this Monday night, including the Sixers hosting the Spurs. Maxi's thirty two were the most for any player. Thirty two points after an eleven point first half, he goes for twenty one after the break.
Speaker 2: He was on.
Speaker 3: Triple double watch his first career triple double not too long ago in Chicago, but tonight he falls just short. Thirty two points, ten rebounds, eight to six and those were game high totals as well, the rebounds more than anyone else. The assist number was tied with Chris Paul, who is the Spurs point guard after signing with them in the off season. So what a game for Maxi. His five threes matched Champagni of the Spurs, but the most for any player was Victor Wembinyama with six threes, and he took the most six for thirteen. Wembinyama from three and he had a clutch one late to regain the lead in the closing minutes. We'll hear that in our audio highlights coming up right now. Let's hear how this one sounded, as called by Tom mcguinnis the Sixers and Spurs in Philadelphia, the Sixers in white, the Spectrum inspired City Edition uniforms presented by Crypto dot Com, the Spurs in black uniforms, and the Victor Wembinyama and the Spurs. He he's coming off Western Conference Player of the Week that was announced this afternoon. Embiide returned to the lineup after not playing in Cleveland with the black plastic face mask, and he had a strong first quarter as noted here. A three ball part of a nine point first quarter for Joel.
Speaker 2: Joel with an of the right wing against Wemby, get to screen, pass it down to Martin and now Paul deflex it back out to a b three pointer near side got it Joel and Bid with five of the seven for the sixers and they lead seven to two.
Speaker 3: Seven to two start to the game. We fast forward in the first quarter. That was closely played and it was closed out better by the Spurs, led by wembin Yama and his defense. But on the offensive end, the connection with number four overall picks Stefan Cassel, the point guard from Yukon this in a one point game, it looked it's too easy. The alley from Castle to Wembanyama.
Speaker 2: When Benyama brings it to length to the court, he goes to Castle, Castle throws it back to wemb and he throws it down a right hand tongk by Wembnyama. Excellent play by Victor and both ends of the floor thereby the Spurs and they've crept it within one.
Speaker 3: Making it look easy. The raining unanimous Rookie of the Year seven to three and a half without shoes. That's what they listen him at in the program. Some oohs and ahs in the crowd on that one. Then just throw it anywhere near the rim and he just put it over the rim with his right hand, and he had a four block first quarter. How so that was a nineteen eighteen game, and with the game at twenty nineteen Spurs and of the first six point five seconds on the clock for the Sixers side out of bounds when Binyama got half of that first quarter block total on one sequence, blocking Kyle Au and then Caleb Martin to keep the score twenty nineteen in favor of the visiting Spurs. Heading to the second quarter. Early second quarter, Andre Drummond, he got a technical for pushing Wembanyama to the ground, and then after the technical free throw from Chris Paul, he got called for tripping him, a second technical. He got ejected. Then they looked at it and said he didn't trip him, no technical foul and that it would be a flop on Wembinyama, which is a T and a Maxi freethrow. And then they said, because we're rescinding the second technical on Drummond. The flop never happened, the maxi free throw never happened. Take that point off the board. And Drummond was still available until he would leave due to injury. So that happened. And you think it couldn't get any crazier than that, But about five minutes later, Joel Embiid charged into Wembinyama with the ball, so wehm Benyama is involved in all of this in the first half drew the ire of the Sixers fans because the block charge bang bang call doesn't go Joel's way, and then it got worse from there.
Speaker 2: Down goes with bin Yama and be colliding with him in an offensive foul on Joelle and it'd be jogging back to argue the call. I think Joelle making his point to the official having to be separated by Kyle Lowry. Bobby Jackson runs out and Joel's give a tee. Jenna Schroder just throwing out. Beat is really hot to Sixers swarm him, Anthony Bubb Jackson and the security team comes over, Bobby Jackson and Doug West. Jenna Schroeder teed up and Beat. She gave the premature tee to Andre Drummond and Beat is furious. I don't know that we've ever seen him at an official this angry.
Speaker 3: In a two point game. So the first half, it wasn't the best shooting half for either team, but there were theatrics that it was a wild second quarter, and you know from one side of the court to the other. After the charge on MBD, a technical was issued and then another one and then he wasn't done arguing with the officiating staff. But he would not be let back into this game. He thought maybe after the drum and stuff, but no, he was ejected and he would not return. So the Sixers went into the locker room with a forty eight forty five lead courtesy of a gershan Yabusele hot streak from beyond the arc, knocking down a couple of triples, including to break the time backs.
Speaker 2: He drives women yab alerks back out to gershant Yabuseley with another three, Gershot hits a triple. It's one of those instances where he knows he needs the high release point and the high arc with Victor looming, and I think it helped him at Yah Bouseli with another three.
Speaker 3: He had ten points in the second quarter, puts the Sixers up by three at halftime of this game forty eight forty five, and he came out of the locker room keeping it going with a three to go up sixty one fifty six. Then Caleb Martin hit one of his three threes. He played a big role with the twelve points they combined for twenty nine off the bench and both three for five from beyond the arc, and then Tyrese Maxey joins the three point party, forcing a time out for the Spurs, who they're acting head coaches Mitch Johnson with Greg Popovich not currently coaching the team due to health reasons, and Maxi's three forced Mitch Johnson to take a time out. It put the Sixers up by nine, and who knew he was only getting started.
Speaker 2: Weak side rebound ty Reece Maxi his six boards. Maxi had to move transition tray bang, it's.
Speaker 3: Good time out.
Speaker 2: Spurs six Ers sixty seven, the Spurs fifty eight. Maxy kick it up against the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: His six hundredth three in his career, because I mean the fourth sixer to do that iverson eight eighty five, Covington seven to twenty four, Korver six sixty one, and on that three in a sixty nine sixty seven to fifty eight game, Tyrese Maxi hits career three number six hundred the rookie Castle from the champion Yukon Huskies. Though he had a double digit third quarter, including a three of his own off a steal that cut the deficit to six for the Spurs.
Speaker 2: Seventy seven sixty eight. The Sixers lead is nine, and here's Japasile with an interception budd He throws it right back to the Spurs and Castle shoots it three and in what is going on? Castle with a trays so a flip flop of turnover. Japaceele thought of the outlet was gonna get the Sixers going, and Castle picked it off.
Speaker 3: Castle with thirteen of his seventeen points total, thirteen came in the third quarter, seventy seven seventy one Sixers at that juncture, and they would take an eighty four seventy five nine point lead into the fourth quarter. And it's the late sequences that mattered most because the Spurs started raining in threes. Julian Champenny for his fourth three of the game at the time to tie this thing at ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Webbin Yama Watson on the post against Soubre Paul to Champegne three ball in the air, got it. Julian Champenny has popped the cork. He nails another one ninety eight, ninety eight Paul with another Dish's eighth assists of the game three and a half to go, Timeout Sixers.
Speaker 3: Ninety eight, all eight threes in the fourth out of their fifteen San Antonio. Five of those contributed by the former Sixer and blue Coat Champenny, who then had to defend Paul George on the side of bounds, who goes baseline and he was fouled by Chris Paul.
Speaker 2: Sixers with Maxie and bounding to Paul George in the quarter, Sixers, with George on a drive into the lane, goes up, They swipe bet and he gets a left the right reverse. The Sixers kept Yabusele lifted up beyond the followane and thus webbin Yama could not get back to defend Paul George and Paul George drives it.
Speaker 3: One hundred and ninety eight free throw didn't go. Would Lawler's law hold the first to one hundred wins? We are not going to hear the wembin Yama three from the wing, but it was pure one oh one, one hundred. The Spurs back in front. A running layup for Maxi followed that, and then Chris Paul an improbable make to put the Spurs back ahead on a fade away mid range. I mean that is where he's made his living in the NBA. But one o three, one oh two and Champenni has the balls stolen by Maxie, and he doesn't just simply lay it up and in down one.
Speaker 2: He steals the ball, He drives it. He champed and hunt you serious, It's the play of the year. He dunks it. Tyreee Faxi of the pitted slam pod Champenny game on the line. He steals it at midcourt after just missing the three. He goes in, he rares back and dunks it with his left hand. Sixers take the lead.
Speaker 3: This place was absolutely electric on that steal and slam. He was found, but it was one o four to one oh three because he could not convert the three point play either. The dagger shot was the fifth three of the game from Tyrese.
Speaker 2: Eight to shoot Maxie against so hunged how top off the dribble prizes for three. It's up. It's god Maxi with five in a row head his first take time hits his house, kits max. He celebrating with nineteen thousand of his closest friends. One oh seven what oh three thirty seconds to go? Time out spurs.
Speaker 3: Champenny had another one, but the Sixers hold on to win. Won eleven one ZHO six for their first win over a Western Conference opponent in the twenty twenty four twenty five season. A five point victory for Maxi and the Sixers, who will play Boston on Christmas at five Eastern. Just a tremendous end to this game. Again, just two assists, shy of a triple double, thirty two points, ten rebounds, eight assists for Tyrese Maxey. Paul George with that plus fifteen plus minus, had nineteen points, nine rebounds, four assists. He took sixteen shots. Nick Nurse told us before the game that couple after a couple twelve shot games, fifteen to sixteen is the range that they'd like to see, and that he's had games like that this year where some of those are extremely or most of those are extremely good looks tonight six of sixteen, two for seven from three to five for seven at the line. The reverse layup was clutching this one. Nineteen nine and four for Paul George, Yabusele, and Martin in double digits off the bench, as noted. Outside of Wembin Yama's twenty six points, nine rebounds, and eight blocks, seven of which were in the first half. Four you heard me say in the first quarter after him on the stat sheet. They had five other players in double figures, three with fifteen points and it was Castle with seventeen, Champagnie with fifteen, Sohan with fifteen, Devin Vassel had fifteen, and Chris Paul had twelve points and a game high tying eight assists along with Maxi. It had everything. Tonight kind of started with the Drummond and emb ejections and ended with Maxi taking over. But that will do it for our seventy six Ers postgame show tonight, which is presented by Parks Casino. The final score the Sixers one eleven the Spurs one oh six. Thanks to our engineer Marty Dickerson, producers Matt Manarik and Sean Rodman, and of course Tom McGinness on the call. That next Sixers game, Wednesday, is a five pm Eastern start in Boston against the defending champion Celtics the NBA on Christmas Day. Our coverage here on the Sixers Radio Network, presented by Jackpot City Casino, will begin at four p fifty Eastern. Until then I'm Matt Murphy saying so long from the center. Thanks so much for listening. Happy holidays to everyone. The Sixers win by five.
Speaker 2: Take care,