Speaker 1: Second date up date. We talk a lot about how hard it is in the dating world right now, especially for guys to just get a pretty girl to agree to a date. But you know something we rarely talk about what that could be even more difficult is successfully locking down that second date all on your own, because maybe you just got lucky on the first one. She was feeling hungry that night and just needed a free meal. She was bored and was willing to lower her standards just for a funny story to laugh about with all of her hot, judgmental friends. Met One of our listeners told us that over the last year he's been mixing it up in the dating pool, trying all sorts of ways to secure himself that second date. But his latest foolproof plan doesn't seem to be working anymore, which is why he's on the phone with us right now.
Speaker 2: Makes him the fool of the fool proof plan.
Speaker 1: It sounds like, okay, well, Jared has already called you a fool before you've even sett a congratulations.
Speaker 3: Oh that's not what I meant, buddy.
Speaker 1: I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, if you call it fool proof and it doesn't work, there's only one part that ends up true in that statement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, welcome to the show man. How you doing, don't get man?
Speaker 4: How you guys doing?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: You got positive attitude still, that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: So your email says that you're going out on a lot of dates and you're trying these strategies to make sure that you can secure another one. What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'd be like so frustrating and trying to get like a second date, Like we have a good first one, and then so as I start talking about the second and a lot of times I just get ghosted. And then I was like, okay, well, at the end of the first day of like shake on it, it's like good eye contact. Hey, we're going to meet, let's do a second.
Speaker 2: Date like a business contract.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm just like trying to get that genuine vibe.
Speaker 1: Going, you know, Okay, that's okay, this was working well, Alexis. You don't like the business handshake at the end of a date.
Speaker 2: No, because the handshakes ever period. What if he changed it to a pinky swear, would.
Speaker 1: You be more into that?
Speaker 3: Slightly better?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Some rock paper sissors again?
Speaker 1: What about mouth kiss to lock in? That second dish?
Speaker 2: Doesn't lock in anything the tongues for a second.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'm not doing this.
Speaker 4: Actually, it's plain that you mentioned pinky promise because that's that's what I went with, because that's.
Speaker 1: Sacred, you know, Oh really you did.
Speaker 5: I was like, yo, pinky promise, but I'm like playful with it, you.
Speaker 6: Know, like, Okay, Yeah, is the pinky promise working better than the handshake?
Speaker 2: What's our like percentage of success right here?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So I've tried it three times. Even one of them actually turned into a pretty like decent relationship.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's why you're confused why it didn't work, because it worked the first three times.
Speaker 4: I see, and now he's the only one did not do it.
Speaker 2: So who's who's this girl who's bucking the trends? What's her name?
Speaker 4: Her name is Mona?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, tell us about the date because that could give us some clues for how this went. Did you guys go to pf Chain's why is so specific because those are my parents like to take me when we do our pinky promise.
Speaker 2: Like that fancy fancy.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've probably never been your parents take you to like what Denny's or something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: The Missouri Mule.
Speaker 1: Worse. Where did you go for your date? Jared?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we went to this uh this gold cart place. Oh so fun.
Speaker 2: I love go carts day. It's like ChIL go carts, like the ones we have to wear a helmet because they go in a full suit. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was more like the high Octing when I had like windy tracks and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome. That's a fun date because it's a little competitive. You're all trying something new. You got some adrenaline going. Were you super competitive with her? Is that maybe an issue?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: I kind of like lighting it up. I was like, yo, we should do a shot for every lap we do. I was kidding, but I would have done it just I was just trying to see what you would say.
Speaker 2: You know, they frowned up drinking even if they do, you do a lot.
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, we did a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, twenty shotsol poisoning.
Speaker 1: Trying to figure out how did she react to your joke, He.
Speaker 4: Was like, oh, I don't think they let us do that.
Speaker 5: She just kind of laughed it off.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, which is what the point was, right, But the business.
Speaker 2: Did you guys squeeze in dinner or drinks after the go carts or was the go carts in?
Speaker 4: No, we we did go carts and then afterwards we did little some hamburgers and milkshakes, and we did that. We're there for like an hour and then headed out.
Speaker 6: Okay, did this pinky swear feel different than the other pinky swears? Like, did you notice if she was crossing her fingers with the other hand while she did it?
Speaker 2: That's important.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't know something like that. So, like I said, I'm kind of confused. That seemed from my I thought we had a good time.
Speaker 1: Okay, and so you pinky promised to see each other again. She has not followed through on the promise. So the real question is when we call her now, should we do double pinky promises to really lock it in we call the police and arrest.
Speaker 6: Her for breaking the con Obviously, she we have to cut her pinky off.
Speaker 2: That's the whole point.
Speaker 8: Of a pinky product.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so we just gotta let her know, say, audios, was it right hand or left hand?
Speaker 1: That's right. I forgot about the rules of pinky promising. So we're gonna go get our machetes ready, we'll sharpen them up and then we'll come back and we'll call Mona for you.
Speaker 8: Cool.
Speaker 4: No, oh, yeah that's cool. But yeah, that's not like a like a real thing.
Speaker 7: Though.
Speaker 4: They only cut off your pinky finger for the Polish, right, They don't do that.
Speaker 1: No, on this show, we do.
Speaker 2: I've never broken a pinky promise before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we take it very very seriously, Jared. So, Mona's gonna go out with you or she's gonna pay the price with your second date update right after this hold on second date update. Oh, the pinky promise. It's a sacred ritual that dates back hundreds, if not thousands of years.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: All the greatest rulers in history have used it to achieve victory. Julius Caesar did it, Genghis Khan, Joey Chestnut. Even Pinky swore right before he down sixty eight and a half hot dogs at Coney Island to take home the crowds.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: But recently somebody broke the eternal bonding promise of.
Speaker 8: The pinky Jared's date Mona, because she promised that she would see him again after they went go karting together, but clearly the power of the pinky means nothing to.
Speaker 1: Her and today, pinky, we want some answers on Jared's behalf.
Speaker 2: I want some blood, Jeff, take that pinky off.
Speaker 1: Pinky, promise that you'll give the man a chance this time and not turn on him the instant. Another females on the phone.
Speaker 2: I don't like to make promises I can't keep, so.
Speaker 1: Maybe okay, yeah, Jared, we got a maybe Brooke will be on your side?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, cool guy, Yeah, I just don't know what else he's done. You know, you got to hear both sides of the story. One side right now. I'm all for Jared, all on his side.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm like saying yes to the terms and conditions without even reading yes. It sounds like it seems like Jared's right what this woman has to say? All right, Jared, let's call her. Here we go.
Speaker 4: I don't even tell you guys to talk about, but yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Keep up, thank you for your contribution. Let's call this woman.
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 1: Is this mona?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Does this she? Aren't you? Friendly?
Speaker 1: Friendly? The person who is speaking right now is the lead host of a radio show called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning. Why didn't my other host laugh when I said that, that's a weird that's my title.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hi, Mona.
Speaker 3: Hi, that's your lead hosts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're all co hosts together on Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning, and we're doing a segment right now called a second Date update.
Speaker 7: Have you heard a lot of people, and.
Speaker 1: We're trying to do something where we're helping one of our listeners to get a second date with you because he had such a nice time when you hung out. Originally his name's Jared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that's like Jared planned an awesome date for you both.
Speaker 1: What does mean?
Speaker 7: I guess like, did he tell you that we had gone go karting?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You don't like that?
Speaker 7: I thought, like soule phone on paper on paper?
Speaker 2: Okay, what happened in real life? Helmets? Because I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we heard about most of the date from Jared and the highlights were go cards, there were burgers and milkshakes, and then at the very end, this is kind of controversial, you pinky promised him that you would see him a second time.
Speaker 2: It out right?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you're kind of a liar, okay, and we're trying to figure out why.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if we can count that pinky promise because I kind of like I had kind of maneuver myself out of it because why well, it was like he hooked the pinky, but then he also like pulled me in and tries to go in for a kiss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone does. I think he meant a kiss on the hand or a kiss on the mouth. That's not what I was talking about.
Speaker 6: Wait, did he misread the moment because it sounds like kind of a cute moment for a first kiss.
Speaker 7: I mean it was cute, but maybe just a little cringe because I was like, is that your move? Is that what you do?
Speaker 2: Did you kiss him? Or did you not kiss him? He didn't tell us.
Speaker 7: I had to swerve or curve.
Speaker 4: Well is it?
Speaker 2: Wait though, is it because you don't kiss on a first date or is it because you don't want to kiss him?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: I think like the bigger itck was a little bit for that, So I think it was insulting injury.
Speaker 1: He wasn't gonna get a kiss no matter what at that point, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think so it was a bigger it.
Speaker 7: Okay, so I know how this will sound.
Speaker 3: I'm not a mean or shallow person, like I'm promised, but.
Speaker 7: We were we were go karting, right, so we had like the full get up and everything, and it's just like Jared just looked really kind of dumb, Like the whole time I could see that. Yeah, it was kind of a big turn off. And then we even took like a felthie and he had his helmet on still. So it's like it's like every time I think about.
Speaker 4: Him, I think about him, and.
Speaker 1: It happens all the all the reasons.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's shallow. I just think that's one thing.
Speaker 1: Could happen and you just look at someone a completely different But what about you. I mean, I'm sure that you didn't look like perfect in your go kart helmets, just like to be.
Speaker 7: Fair, it's a little hard, but I took the time to kind of adjust it right, like you could fit it properly. I'll put my hair in a way that it would pop out kind of cute.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's something you couldn't get over though, Like you can't unsee.
Speaker 2: It, Like you shouldn't see him in a go car helmet that often after.
Speaker 7: This, right, you know, it's just it's looms so big in my in my mind, and so yeah, I know I feel bad because he's been texting and I guess I did pinky promise, But it's just.
Speaker 1: So basically, you look super cute in your racing helmet and he looks super stupid in it. So he is not boyfriend material for that reason.
Speaker 2: He's not second date materially here into that yet. That's a long way down the road.
Speaker 1: You know. It's a little harsh to my ears, but my ears aren't the ones that matter really. Jared is the one. Yeah, he's probably all going through it the most because he's on the other line right now listening to this conversation.
Speaker 7: No, oh my gosh, No, that's not nice.
Speaker 1: What you said wasn't very nice. But let's yeah, helmets.
Speaker 2: Ugly, she said, stupid like a.
Speaker 1: Difference, Jared, are you there?
Speaker 4: Are you serious? I look dumb in a go cart helmet and that's why, Oh.
Speaker 7: My god, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: We're riding go carts. Everybody looks stupid and.
Speaker 5: Like an idiot writing.
Speaker 7: Do you think you were pulling it off?
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't care how I looked. I was excited to get on the gold cart and go around to do laft.
Speaker 5: I didn't like, it's not this is the Daytona five hundred.
Speaker 4: I don't know, like I don't have to look you know, cool, Okay, I know you.
Speaker 1: Actually would look pretty cool if you were writ in the.
Speaker 6: Dyton I think the point is is you found a guy who's willing to look dumb and do fun things like that's really what you want in that partner.
Speaker 1: And he's presumably not going to be wearing a helmet the whole time that you guys date.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but guys, I'm looking at the Selty picture right now and he just looks so dumb.
Speaker 1: Photoshop it so he doesn't look anymore. Put a nice head of hair on top of him.
Speaker 4: But I took off the helmet, and I look good to what.
Speaker 7: The image has been burned into my brain. It's like forever associated.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Well, we'd love to get the opportunity to burn a brand new image into your b with no helmet on his head, because we're going to offer to send you on another date, and we'd pay for it.
Speaker 4: And you pinky promise that's sacred.
Speaker 2: You should give him another chance. He's a funny guy.
Speaker 1: Don't unleash the wrath of the pinky gods on yourself.
Speaker 7: Are so bad, Jared, I mean, if your ego is at groused that badly, I mean.
Speaker 1: Stop looking at the picture deleted. Oh my god, I think you can take a beating, Jared.
Speaker 2: Tell her why she should.
Speaker 4: Say yes, because you know, besides, then you look at Dominah. How we had a good time even after.
Speaker 5: We had when we had molk chasing burgers, you were.
Speaker 4: Laughing and having fun. We had a good time, you.
Speaker 7: Know, Yes, I was. My mind was taken off of the helmet for a little moment, So I think maybe it could happen again.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, that's a yes.
Speaker 4: Then yay, yes, yes, yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: Pinky promise has been restored. We can put them a set away, all right, and make sure you burn any headgear that you own right now.
Speaker 2: He's like concussions, It doesn't matter anymore.
Speaker 4: Now I'm gonna wear a cowboy hat.
Speaker 2: That's a bold choice.
Speaker 7: Oh, I don't know if.
Speaker 4: You can pull that off.
Speaker 1: All right, No country bars, Good luck, Brook and Jeffrey in the morning, moving two point five, Oh man, I messed up.
Speaker 2: Why did you mess up before we got off the phone? I probably agree, But why before we.
Speaker 1: Got off the phone. I should have Pinky promised with her that she'll actually go through with the next day.
Speaker 2: You brought it up, but I know I don't think that means a lot to her these days.
Speaker 1: Jeff, you don't like to hear this, but let's keep the fingers out of it.
Speaker 6: Okay, you're probably It's like if she saw you wearing those headphones, she may get this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, you're right. Yeah, okay, where okay? But hindsight is always twenty twenty on these segments, because as soon as you're done with one, you look back and you go, oh, darns, why couldn't Brook have been more funny there? That wasn't she more clever and more witty and more complimentary of men? We just brought so many regrets about that second I mean.
Speaker 2: It's a good point men they struggle. Yes, yeah, I'm always talking about too late.
Speaker 1: Now, you should have said that during the second day.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like, I'll never have to bring it up again.
Speaker 1: That's true. Luckily, despite all of our many, many collective shortcomings, we still manage to get them a second. If you ever need help with your love life, email the show. We'll call that person who's not calling you back.
Speaker 7: And go.
Speaker 1: Check out all of our Second Day podcasts up online wherever you get yours at Brooke and Jeffery
Speaker 2: Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning