Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. S VU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 1: These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 3: Done done, Hello, and welcome to That's Messed Up an SVU podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Kara Klank and I'm Liza Traeger. We're coming to you fast and loose. We talk to a SVU crime.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we have guests, and today we have a big guest, Big guests.
Speaker 1: Big big guests, today, big episode. Yeah, this is going to be a thrill.
Speaker 2: I also, you know, so since last episode you did watch the got Meic Nikki Glazer videos, I'd like you to address.
Speaker 4: And I would and I would like to address the and stam corrected.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I literally was like, I'm sure it's just similar premises. But when I saw the side of my side, I was like, fuck, that's uh.
Speaker 1: That's really word for word, babe.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's shocking too, because god, Maic is like such a perfectionist and also pretty funny, and I'm sure could have thought of things on her own, so it's really it's really strange. But also I was talking to somebody about this and they were like, yeah, that's like TikTok. People kind of just are like, yeah, you can kind of just like take other things and like make them your own. Like it's sort of like a thing people think they can do now and it's like, no, you can't do that, not with my jokes.
Speaker 1: I don't think. I don't think so like you can rip things.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but yeah, I get what he's saying because all of us like there's a topic and then suddenly everyone's doing videos about.
Speaker 1: It, and it's like you didn't come up with it. Like I think about the.
Speaker 2: Christmas stocking a lot, and it is a valid thing, like all these moms don't No one fills up they're stalking, yes, but then all these videos of like if you don't fill up your stocking, it's like, but you didn't know about that.
Speaker 1: This isn't your idea, This isn't some big take.
Speaker 2: And right now I actually did get into the comments because I'm really annoyed with people right now being like and.
Speaker 1: I'm not tipping.
Speaker 4: If I'm it's like, oh that then don't tip, Like what are you doing? What are you doing? I don't understand it? Toxic tipping culture.
Speaker 2: No is an option, it's not. Yeah, if no wasn't an option, there's a conversation. I'm forced to tip. I'm living in a you know, a tip for.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: No is a button in an option. So what's the actual big deal? Yeah, people want your money, tell them no. People also call be like donate to this. You say no, it's fine. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's true. That's very true. I I do like Robbie Hoffman's bit about it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I don't.
Speaker 4: She's just funny to me because she's like a Larry David character to me. So she's like, what is this? I got a they're giving me a number. I gotta bring it to my own like it was making me laugh.
Speaker 1: But that's just her. I agree. I am annoyed too.
Speaker 2: I don't like. I don't like that kind of service. It happens a lot in LA. I don't love it. Yeah, I love certain places. I have to fill up my own water cup? What are we doing here?
Speaker 1: Is that not catching on as much? In New York?
Speaker 2: I still hit it. I still hit the tips, So go fuck yourselves. No, the number thing is very LA. It's very that's very much yeah, I'm sorry. I mean, I'm sure there's.
Speaker 4: What we're talking about is like you go up to a counter, you order, you take a number, they bring you your food, but you're expected to sort of you're sort of expected to still tip twenty percent even though you're not getting like continuous service, like you're literally just getting somebody dropping your meal at your table. And I think that's what people's issue is. But I was wondering if that had not like hit New York as hard. But it is very large. I'm sure it is.
Speaker 2: It's not like you know, I'm not I haven't gone all over that, but it's to me, it's an la thing, very common. Yes, yeah, just the but's if it's the culture of you know, the kind of lunches they're doing. I feel if you're gonna have lunch here, you're either somewhere fancy, like you're going to Chipriani or something, or you're going to pret You're going to pre sitting on a stair, So I know, I think it's just like a little different.
Speaker 1: Wow, you really like that one.
Speaker 4: I do like that you are going to pret and you're sitting on a museum step and you're trying to stop the birds from eating your food.
Speaker 1: That's what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Well, what else is going on with you besides talking culture?
Speaker 2: I did want to know, you know, about Rosie's zoo camp experience. But I had an animal encounter. Oh, and it's one of my favorite categories of animal encounter. But I was with some friends in a pool and we had snacks over there, and then I look up and I see a bird with a potato chip in its mouth flying and.
Speaker 1: It kept going out on a ship hustle.
Speaker 2: I love an animal with food in its mouth that it stole from humans, like It's one of my favorite things. So to see a bird flying with a chip really made me happy. But our friends were at Coney Island and one with the games won a giant seagull with a French fry in its mouth, which kind of reminds me of the drag Race UK challenge with the bag of chips and all the fries and like the wind.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm remembering that vaguely.
Speaker 2: Yes, listen, I was pretty jealous when I saw that he won that, but you know, stay tuned, I might win it too.
Speaker 1: I'm not bad at those games.
Speaker 4: I the birds also near the beach Coney Island stuff like that they are or like near the Santa Monicappier, they're ballsy, like they've swooped down and taken a full scoop of ice cream off my friend's cone once, like they're they don't give a fuck, They're just swooping.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: I also read read the Internet told me and I didn't even check a fact, but that pigeons used to be like dot like they were chip. They were our pets and did errands for people, like you know, the letters and stuff. Yes, and then one day we just went, you're the get out of here, you see flying rahet?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I don't I don't know. I don't know. It's so interesting.
Speaker 4: I mean, Dennis Leary used to do this like bit that I liked and when I was like in middle school about like what's the process of like of Like he's like animals go up to like God or whatever and are like, what are you I do?
Speaker 1: I'm a seal.
Speaker 4: I do cute little human like tricks with my hands. You can go, And then it's like, what are you a cow? Get on the fucking truck, Like we just decide what animals were gonna eat and treat like shit, and then what animals are like too cute? I'm telling you, Rosie is obsessed with the axel Lottle. We talked about it this morning at length.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, that's funny.
Speaker 4: She wants to get one. She's like, can we get one? I'm like, I don't, are they a pet? I don't know if they're pets. I think they are. I think some of our listeners have told us they have pet axel Lottle since we brought it up.
Speaker 1: I think that hand.
Speaker 2: I mean, the day that you crack and get a pet, that's gonna be you know, inevitable, but you know that's that's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 4: I am sort of warming up to the dog idea, but I have to work on Jared. I just finished a book yesterday. It's sorry this is totally off topic, but I have famously been barely reading since I had children, and I did finish a book that I really loved called Educated.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've heard of it, but.
Speaker 4: It's like this girl grows up in like a fundamentalist Mormon family off the grid, like not only are they Mormon, but like it's not fundamentalist, Like there's not it's not polygamy, but it's like no hospitals, nothing with the government, didn't send any of them to school. And this girl like is the youngest of the family and it's just like her life and like her pursuit of education, and it's it was fascinating, Like I loved it.
Speaker 1: I thought it was really great. It came out in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: Like I'm not new on this book, but and I think it won a lot of prizes and shit, but really really fascinating stuff and like misogyny, you know, like pumped through it. It's like some of the kids could most of the kids didn't go to school ever, but like the dad would be like, your brother has to go to school. He's a genius. We got to get him into college. And it's like your daughter is like a full genius as well. Like it's like they just want her in the kitchen making sandwiches, and like, you know, there's a lot of obviously.
Speaker 2: This is reminding me. I'm just you know, the movie. Games are just rushing through my head at all times. And Strands made it out of beta, by the way, Wow wow, Frands on the New York Times Games it's out of.
Speaker 4: Beta it's a game. They picked it, and this is a day for us. I'm excited we have I feel like we have something to do with that. We've been we've been yelling about strands to the rooftop.
Speaker 2: Actually it was out last weekend and at one point like it was a bigger group. And son, I hear a friend go, oh, she loves strands more than anyone.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I heard it from across the sidewalk, but I was just looking up.
Speaker 1: There's some show. Oh I had to watch.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember what network, but I was reading about it, probably on Vulture. But it's like a dude that keeps his adult daughters under like in this kind of you know, regressed trapped situation. And yeah, it's like a man and his three adult daughters and he's ruining their lives.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I gotta fucking watch this.
Speaker 2: And now I don't Maybe if I go through my history on the internet, I don't know if it's worth it.
Speaker 1: Can you you gotta talk while I do this?
Speaker 4: Okay, No, I'm trying to think, like, I don't know if I have Well, I'll just tell you about Rosie Zoo Camp. She did go to a zoo camp and it was again one of the greatest weeks of her life this week year.
Speaker 1: This week she had friends.
Speaker 2: And dog Tooth. Dog Tooth? Is this from two thousand and nine. Oh, it's a it's a movie. Okay, it's a k what's his name? Your ghost Lanthemos Oh, a controlling, manipulative father locks his three adult offsprings in a state of perpetual childhood by keeping them prisoner.
Speaker 1: Then the sprawling family compound.
Speaker 4: Oh, and I think it might be Greek, right, I don't know. The actors all have Greek names.
Speaker 2: Casey is nodding, yeah, because Vulture did is do did a? You know, they do these lists of his movies in a row of the best to work, you know, like, yeah, I rate them and this was number one and I love the favorite, So I really got to watch this and his fucking name comes up in those games.
Speaker 4: I'm like interested though, if you're if you would like like other of his movies, like.
Speaker 1: I hated a lot. I started and adding My.
Speaker 4: Sacred Dear is like it made my skin crawl, Like there's some of his his movies are just like very all different.
Speaker 1: I feel like so different.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll hate it. It's worth a shot to not, you know, be productive in life. I'll find something to do and I guess I'll watch Dog tooth. But yeah, the lobster to me, I was crap. I was like, get me out of this hell misery. I don't think I even made it fifteen minutes. I really don't think so.
Speaker 4: Before I was well, I'm not keeping my dn confined in a compound. But I did keep Rosie confined in zoo camp for a week, and she fucking loved it. She saw three bat nurseries. She was obsessed with the I can't believe her luck. She said, there's a fox named Kara at the zoo. At the zoo, she was like, Mom, you won't believe this. There's a fox na Kara, And there's there is actually an orangutang named Rosie that we did meet the last time we all went to the zoo.
Speaker 1: So we're really we're.
Speaker 4: Really loving the zoo moments these days. And now she's at an art camp this week. She made a beautiful print yesterday. You know she's thriving. She's thriving in the La summer heat. Yes, yes, and it's fucking hot here and we are pooling it up as much as we can.
Speaker 1: Hot hot, hot, Yeah you got a pool.
Speaker 2: I mean I already sent like a pool type meme with someone I know has that has a pool on their apartment building, being like hello, wel and he's.
Speaker 1: Like, you're invited.
Speaker 2: But I just I just don't want to know how shameless I can be with people, like can I just message and go can I come to the pool or what like yeah, yeah, I'm not going to lunch though, you know what I mean, this is a pool based hang and I can't really pretend that there's not a.
Speaker 4: Pool in New York City in your building. People are probably throwing their friendship that.
Speaker 1: You left right last summer. Like I can't even imagine that.
Speaker 4: I can't think of a person I knew with a pool in New York or access to it. And I babysat for some rich ass people. That's really luxurious. Yeah you know it is, it really is. And lucky to know him. So we'll see, we'll see. What do we want to talk about this Jack the Ripper thing or no? Well yeah, so may let's see. Let me get to the article.
Speaker 2: So this is from art net, which I don't know if this is what's it called respected? I don't know, but it came out May twenty four so not too long ago. But it's a theory. Was Edgar Dega the ga right, the god?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Actually actually Jack the Ripper, This dogged ticked talker has a theory.
Speaker 1: What is dog What does this mean? Dogged? Dogged? What is that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Like dogged is like relentless, like when if you're like, yeah, it's like relentless.
Speaker 1: Relentless TikToker.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this TikTok so, this whole thing is because of a TikToker, a maniac.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The impressionist artists spent time in London, she pointed out, and she's always find his art a bit creepy. So I guess there's like journals and his art is, yeah, just very anatomy.
Speaker 1: He was friends with the surgeon.
Speaker 2: His travel things like I wouldn't put a past to any man to murder.
Speaker 1: The best is like that.
Speaker 4: They say that the TikToker is like laying out her theory in a denim jacket in the passenger seat of her twenty fourteen Hundai Santa fe Like that's shade.
Speaker 1: That's where they're shading her. So hard.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, maybe Artnett is you know the snabby art website we wanted because that is so rude. Yeah show, yeah, but she knows it's crazy.
Speaker 4: She's like, hear me out she Oh, she.
Speaker 2: Was on her way to the doctors with a fever. She should have really left that part out.
Speaker 1: But art Nut's covering it.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but so is bored Panda the Daily Dot.
Speaker 4: A lot of people are picking up this Jack the Ripper dig A story.
Speaker 1: It's uh in April as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, because you've not seen one of my favorite movies, Art School Confidential.
Speaker 1: Yet, Right, you've never seen that? No, I should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to do that because it's one of my favorites. But it's the guy who did the cartoon for ghost World.
Speaker 1: I think too, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm looking at okay, Art School Confidential. Oh yes, I remember the poster of this and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, so what's funny is for everyone listening, there used to be a really hip show in La called The Meltdown, Right, That's what was the name of.
Speaker 4: The store, nerd melt like uh no comics. Yeah, so you got paid.
Speaker 2: They would give fifty dollars to spend, but there wasn't even Simpson stuff, like this is a real comic book store, and so I bought the Art.
Speaker 1: School Confidential comic book, Like I really.
Speaker 2: I had to really digged out in that store, but it was my belt down money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was I would get paid for that show and be like, Jared, you want anything, like I've done anything to buy like yeah, but when you would visit La like that was the show you wanted to get on, and I feel like I maybe I do.
Speaker 1: I did it maybe three times, but yeah.
Speaker 4: It was a hot show and it became a TV show. Jared still gets some residual checks for like, you know, seven cents once in a while from doing that TV show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm sorry obviously. I know a lot of people are proud that I haven't mentioned it, but I think a lot of people are waiting for me to mention Travis on stage with Taylor.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, like that is big news.
Speaker 2: We are recording this the day the New Heights episode came out, so I've only seen the two clips. But like I post sit a comment that in minutes already has like hundreds and hundreds of likes, like we are committed. But Jason Kelsey was just talking about how, you know Taylor does the hat thing. You don't like when she sings twenty two. There's a kid that's picked. I don't know how they're picked. Yeah, but like one of Kobe Bryant's daughters was, yeah, girls got the dining chat and so you know, he goes watching a young girl get that hat and thinking what that would mean to me and my daughters.
Speaker 1: And he started tearing out.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I'm teering up watching this football player talk about a girl getting a hat, Like, I don't this has just gotten too deep. But he loved And then they're calling Kylie Princess Kayana.
Speaker 1: I really like that. But it was just cool and he nailed it and it was fun. But and it was just all start setting.
Speaker 2: I mean, Paul McCartney's at your concert, you know what I mean, your boyfriend's there.
Speaker 1: It's cool. And there's five more in August. Wow. Yeah, there were a lot of big names there. I saw.
Speaker 4: It's like all that, and then there was like the Dave Grohl comment that everybody's talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing that's weird is he complimented her recently so it's strange they have photos together. But also you look stupid because you're in the smaller venue in London that night, you know what I mean, Like you kind of look stupid and it looks like you're trying to get clout and what are you sixty five?
Speaker 1: Like it's just swee.
Speaker 4: I was literally talking to another text threat about this because I was like, you can say whatever you want about Taylor Swift. You have the right to not like her if you want, but to say that she's not performing live when she does like a three and a half hour truly like a feat of performance, like it's I go, it's kind of the last criticism I'll except, like I will not accept that, like she's not performing live and that her live concert is not an experience that people are obsessed with, because nobody does a concert that long, Nobody sings that many songs, that many set pieces, costume changes, Like it's really crazy that he said that. But then another friend piped in and goes, well, I heard that Dave Grohl's daughter said some shit about Taylor using a private jet and the Swifties came for her, and that's why he's kind of clapping back it's more like about about making her fans mad than it is about really critiquing her. Is what someone said they saw interesting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what that's actually I heard like his daughter is a brat fan. She loves Charlie XCX so okay, or Billie Eilish or something.
Speaker 1: So there's all of that.
Speaker 2: It's just you can talk shit and your rocks or whatever, but like to do it when you're in the smaller which is still eighty thousand people. But when you're in the smaller venue in the same town and you're not getting the attention that this woman is getting, like it, you just look silly. And I've experienced this before because I was I've talked about this a lot, but Ludacris was not on the main stage when I saw him at Bumber Shoot, and it was like, not the Chromio brother the Chainsmokers, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: So he was. He was upset. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: The idea of calling the Chainsmokers Chromeo brothers is so funny to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, back to the story.
Speaker 4: The Chainsmokers were on a bigger stage because they were having a more okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and you know what, looted it.
Speaker 2: He just performed better, like yeah, he goes, you know what, the main stage, This is the main stage, and then he played hit after hit after hit and solidified himself like the actual performer of the night. But like being like, nah, where are the errors tour? But if he's protecting his daughter, I get it. Whatever, ye like he should have done a better insult like your costumes are lame, or like your cringe or you're a capitalist.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There was just like other things to do except the thing that like she is playing a piano and guitar and sing like that is the thing. Maybe shouldre's backing tracks during you know, certain numbers, but I think she she is singing live, yeah, because if she was, she wasn't people wouldn't be like this bitch can't sing because that's the thing, like people that don't like.
Speaker 1: Her, like I don't like her voice at all.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, so it's like if she was using a backing track, she might have made it, you know better. Well, you know, it's just it was just such a magical thing where it just looks like jealousy from outside. But also the Taylor Watch podcast like released an episode early. Everyone was just losing their minds, and then how I saw a clip of Howard Stern talking about it.
Speaker 1: He goes, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: He goes, her boyfriend was on stage, and people are losing their minds. And then they play a clip and you because you know, when you hold the cell phone at a concert, you singing, her talking is what is gonna get picked up the most.
Speaker 1: It's just people going, what the fuck? What the fuck? People can't comprehend what's happening. And then of course the comparisons.
Speaker 2: Are being mad, like being made that like no one is mad that Travis is on stage, like the football guys were mad about.
Speaker 4: Just that she was at the games. Yeah, yeah, interest slip interesting.
Speaker 2: We were were thrilled, like were There's theories being made like.
Speaker 4: No one's like stick to football, you're distracting from the music.
Speaker 2: You know, And my favorite fact, everyone's like how do we not see him? And they're like he was under the willow cloak, and it's like this fandom is insane and I can't believe how much I've infiltrated my mind so quickly.
Speaker 1: Where I'm like, not the willow cloak, it's.
Speaker 4: I don't even know what you're talking about. But I'm wow, that sounds like a big moment.
Speaker 1: Wait did I talk.
Speaker 4: About doing Mallia? Was that last week? Or No, No, you haven't, but we do have to start soon because I think this interview is going to be long.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we have a big value.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well I did Molly at though Desk the concert and it was a good time. And the funniest thing that my friend Dave said we were together was like we were all just behaved and mature at this concert. You know, we did the appropriate amount of drugs. Everyone was there was no line, everyone was chill. And he goes, yeah, we've come a long way, and I went, we sure have. Like thinking about me at nineteen at Lallapalooza, it's like I survived a zombie attack, Like I remember finding my friend in the middle of the street, thighs fully chased, like bleeding, just ripped apart, sweating dehydrate, like limping out of just clawing my way to the front of the stage to see the red hot chili peppers in a way that I'm humiliated by.
Speaker 4: And at this concert you're like swirling a cocktail like we.
Speaker 1: Didn't even drink.
Speaker 2: No, we met, So my friend came in from Jersey, so I was like, yeah, let's just meet at a bar.
Speaker 1: And then I got a cock a drink I have.
Speaker 2: You know, I haven't been into drinking as much lately and so and with drugs, it's just too much. And so when he got there, he didn't get a drink. I'm like, what the fuck, why aren't you getting a drink? And he goes, I go, you say to meet at a bar, and I'm gonna drink. He goes, you said to meet at a bar. I don't want to drink. I go, I don't want to drink either. But then I took a shot.
Speaker 1: But then listen.
Speaker 2: So then we go outside. I know we have to start. This is a nightmare.
Speaker 1: There's like a little electrical box.
Speaker 2: We're just like trying to do Molly, putting it in our waters, like just talking. I'm we walk away to grab a bite of food before we go into Madison Square Garden. I realized I left my phone on an electrical box in the middle of like, yeah, I'm thirty first twelve, Oh my god. And so in my head I'm like, fuck, the tickets are on it. But and honestly, I can log into the email, we can put the app on his phone like it would have been fine. I like, I was like, I'm not going to get it back, and it was still there, which is a fucking miracle. And I think it's because it was the black side out of my phone, not the case side. Yeah, so it blended in a little bit. But it was probably on an electrical box in the city for like I would say, twenty eight minutes twenty.
Speaker 1: Five minutes before I realized it. Crazy wow, Because I also try to be in the moment. I am less on my phone. I really try to be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and on drugs, you don't want to get like yeah, thinking about text to something that was like business for the podcast, and I was like, I don't want to bother.
Speaker 1: Her during the concert, so I emailed it.
Speaker 4: I was like, she won't check her email during a concert, but she might look at texts.
Speaker 1: No, I kept my phone down there. But they were incredible.
Speaker 2: And another funny thing Dave said is he looked at me he goes, this is like the Blue Man Group, and I'm like, yeah, So it's like drummers with neat lights.
Speaker 1: It's like lights.
Speaker 2: There's witches that come out with cellos and lights and it's a full light show screens like it felt like we were in the winter at moments.
Speaker 1: It's like a.
Speaker 2: Full lights show, wild experience. It's really cool because my friends, my other friend, my friend from India, a DT is visiting from Mumbai and she was like, what does it mean?
Speaker 1: It's a drug band? And then while I was there, I was just laughing.
Speaker 2: It was like fire, like full fire in the like first song fire confetti in the beginning, neon drum wie.
Speaker 1: Jesus. It was wild.
Speaker 4: We have a great interview, so don't you know, don't skip the interview today and uh yeah, as usual, go to That's Messed Up live dot com for our merch Lisa's tour dates, any of our any more information about us, follow us on Instagram, I don't know whatever, and all of our promo codes are up there too as well. Let's get started.
Speaker 2: Okay, so today we will be doing Tomorrow's which is an episode where Tomorrow really fucks up and I have fucked up as well, and I definitely forgot all of my recording equipment before I went on the road for.
Speaker 1: Ten months, ten months. Can you imagine for.
Speaker 2: Ten days I did buy a microphone forgetting I don't have a USB port, So listen.
Speaker 1: Am I using Delta headphones right now? I am? So we'll see what happens, Carol.
Speaker 4: You might notice the sound quality is a little different than usual, but the same old Lisa is there. Yeah, but with my curtains and this. Yeah, it is always embarrassing when we do have a guest and I do have to interview them in front of these curtains because they must think I'm a maniac. I feel like you could be at a hotel with those curtains. You're right, I don't have to, let you know, my mom don't have to be like I'm in my childhood bedroom. It's not a necessity, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should take a screen shot so people can see the opulence my mom finds at Marshalls. Yes, because she said to take a screenshot and the opulence mine.
Speaker 1: But we are here.
Speaker 2: We're in season fifteen, episode eleven, and this aired in January, right after the Christmas break. I believe probably they were like, enjoy your holidays now.
Speaker 4: Boom okayah, So tomorrow starts off this episode hitting you know, a punching bag, a boxing bag.
Speaker 2: What are the little ones is feedbag speedback. But it wasn't a speed bag. It was a long one.
Speaker 4: Oh that was a big and that's just a punching bag. Yeah, okay, so the little one's a speedbag.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's wearing a wife beater inappropriate name, but I don't know that is what that tank is called.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wait, Trixy and Katia just talked about this on their podcast, but do they have a fun name. They were like, it's actually called.
Speaker 2: Because even the other name seems culturally insensitive. So one's about abuse and the other is about a demographical.
Speaker 4: Well, somebody said wife pleaser, which they didn't like either. But then Trixy had like sort of what sounded like a fashion name for it, like a frame tank or something like that, but like, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: And I can't find it right now. I'm not saying a frame tank. It was something like that, like eight like, but it wasn't that. But yes, white.
Speaker 4: Ribbed tea right right, white ribbed tank does require too much spelling, and we do know what the other term means, but it is not good.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it is not good.
Speaker 2: But to me, nothing is hotter than like a bikini top or a black barsling with a wife beaterer on top and like denim shorts like that to me is epitome of Well, it's because I grew up in the heyday of Britney Spears and.
Speaker 1: That is what I like.
Speaker 2: I don't Anyways, Finn walks in, He's like, he calls him La Joya.
Speaker 1: He's like, come on, let's go, we gotta go.
Speaker 4: We're duet lives and Amaro goes, just go, I'll meet you there, and it's like, stop punching the bag. We got to get to your boss's house. And Finn goes, nah, I'll chill. Then he is annoyed.
Speaker 2: I feel like I just sounded like justin Timberlake when he said hi to like genuine or something.
Speaker 1: Do you remember yes?
Speaker 2: Then he is annoyed, like how many more times do we have to celebrate her sergeant's exam? And basically though, he's actually sad because they're not going to let her supervise them, so that means she's going to be transferred, and he's really upset, but it does make Tomorrow stop punching the bag because he's like, fuck, I don't want her transferred.
Speaker 1: We should get to her house.
Speaker 2: So we show up at the apartment and we're in the short hair Bob Live era and she's popping open a bottle of wine and Rollins is already there helping out.
Speaker 1: There's a brunette woman.
Speaker 4: I don't really know who she is, but I'm assuming she's giving off social worker energy.
Speaker 1: I feel like she probably like helped her. She's Craigan's gal. That's Eileen. Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 2: She's like, thanks for including me, Like you, yeah, okay, so that's Eileen.
Speaker 4: I you know, I never put a face to a name. She's not in it that much, but yeah, that's her.
Speaker 1: I'm really happy.
Speaker 2: So she asks where Brian is and he's undercover, and then Eileen is like, but he was there for you at your trial, so that you know that's something.
Speaker 1: And then that's just.
Speaker 2: A low bar of men where you know, the most traumatic thing that's ever happened to you he did show up then, But whatever. She's a professional, she gets it.
Speaker 4: But also you could tell Benson's annoyed by the comment, like, oh, fuck yourself, why are you bringing up William Lewis in my trial at my fun party while I'm drinking wine? Like stop, yeah, you really don't have to bring up the trauma.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Ben is already bitching to Craigan like can we leave already? It's like shut up, and Craigan goes, how about we toast first and then you can rush home to whatever you rush home to, which is you know.
Speaker 4: I feel like there is a place for a joke there, Like I wanted there to be a little joke there, like his video games is weed like something, but they didn't give it to me. But I'm also thinking, like a comedy writer, probably well, I think.
Speaker 2: The comedy is that no one knows what, Like I don't know anything about it. Yeah, like they didn't know yet a son, I think till what season eight, So like I think that's what they're trying to kind of show. Rollins tries to give Hmara wine. He says no, She calls him a choir boy, so he gives in and grabs the wine. Craigan does a speech, and Ben's his bookshelf is so nice, so many frames, Vaza's cool things, a clock and there's a coat hook.
Speaker 4: Yeah, luckily they're not cutting wide to see the fucking uh taxidermied moose or whatever the hell Cassidy made her hang on the wall.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember that.
Speaker 4: Because this is their apartment together. Luckily we're not getting the mail energy.
Speaker 2: No, and then well maybe that clock was That was a big ass clock. And then Craigan drops a huge announcement and basically one PP bureaucracy, YadA YadA. Benson gets to stay at SVU, so Finn is happy he's gonna stay, and he goes, I'll drink to that.
Speaker 1: Spoiler alert, there's ten more seasons of the show.
Speaker 4: She says, Rollin's and Tomorrow are now walking under some scaffolding and he asked if she wants to ride, and she's like, oh, you could just drop me off at the sixth sab F train, which is if just take her home. But anyways, so they're walking and talking and they're really happy that Live is staying, and Tomorrow doesn't know who his new partner is going to be and he's like, you know, the NYPD doesn't tell me anything. Then behind them is a police chase and a cop is screaming and two people are running and they're like stop, stop, and then one of the cops gets hit by a taxi cab and crashes into the windshield. So they go check on the dude, and the guy on the ground says they saw those kids do a deal and his partner saw a gun. Tomorrow then confirms the gun detail. He goes, there was a gun, They go, yes, a gun. So then, but also let the kid do a drug deal, Like is it that big of a deal. I just I would just be like, okay, whatever. The kid got away, so he bought some drugs, Like what, yeah, I mean the war on drugs is, We've got some there's some problems. It's like, who gives a shit.
Speaker 2: I just everything that spirals out after this is like, you could have just let the kid run.
Speaker 1: You're gonna hate the real crime.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: To me, it's like you already got hit by a car. Like it's done, Bro, it's done. The chase is done. You're off like that, you're not even working. But Rollin stays with the fallen cop and Amorro runs after the kid, and so then Rollin's calls it in and there are people with their phones out already capturing what's going down. We also see another cop chasing the kid, and again I think they're doing too much. Amaro joins this detective and they're each on one wall of the side of a hallway. Very action movie, I would say, and uh, the woman is Officer McKenna and she's played by Vicky Judy, who is Watkins from Orange Is the New Black. If you're a fan, guess what My nephew and his girlfriend are watching Orange is the New Black.
Speaker 1: She's already seen it. She loves it. She's making him watch it and he loves Oh, I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's on season three, and like, we talked about the faves and who we've had on the pod, and it was tell him that you're available for when he gets to the season finale, because the series finale, because it's I.
Speaker 1: Was not only that, what about when I'm.
Speaker 4: So many things that happen are terrible. But then at the end, I cried so hard the big death, I cried out. I cried so hard at that. Yeah, that was a tough one. So God, they're gonna get it. They're gonna get there. But they were like, who's your favorite, and I was like, I guess I have to say Red because of our cultural Oh yeah, Red is red rules, Red rules.
Speaker 1: So my plain Jane of Orange Is the New Black. It's so hard to say it's so hard to say.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I kept going. I kept going, and then I was like, oh no, this was no I like. But I do think I like the.
Speaker 2: Older women because I like DEA's mom and I like the one who won't do our podcast with the short.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh selanis Levia. We've been wanting to get her forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think I And then of course I said natash leone. Also, at my mom's birthday, my niece's college roommate was with us. Oh, she's like visiting. So I got to meet another Trinity, another trim girl.
Speaker 1: I love it. Yeah, so it was really exciting.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so Vicki, Judy Watkins McKenna, Okay, she keeps yelling for him to drop his gun, and Amaro realizes and then screams out like he doesn't speak English.
Speaker 1: So then the woman taping on this and I was reading the subtitles.
Speaker 4: By the way, he is speaking French and he is saying I didn't do anything. I didn't do anything. And then he's saying I don't have a gun. But he's saying in French. Yeah, you would think he's an E. S Cellar or something. Yeah, I wonder how fresh she is to the country. Yeah, okay, so you saw that.
Speaker 1: I saw that. I was reading the subtitles. Yeah damn.
Speaker 4: It was like Jay rim Fay, like I have done nothing, Like I can't even imagine how scary this is.
Speaker 2: So so he but Amorrow does realize that. And then the woman taping on the streets, she busts in balls of steel on this woman.
Speaker 1: She looks just like a grandma, but she is I.
Speaker 4: Think is holding but I thought she was holding a caprice so and I was like, rock on that woman rules like, I can't see what she's holding.
Speaker 1: But I was like, it really looks like.
Speaker 4: In the other hand, Well, when she comes into the hallway, there was I didn't I didn't know if she was taping, and she was holding something, and I go, is that a caprice on? But I was like doing I was, I wasn't made.
Speaker 1: Now I want a caprice son? Oh god? Okay.
Speaker 2: So she busts in and she goes, you leave that boy alone, and Amarro actually points his gun at her and tells her to get the fuck out, which I think is a little much, but she walks out out. Then Officer McKenna decides to run and I just it's so stupid. And so then she runs in like this is kind of when Stabler goes undercover with the Animal Ring. It's like, this is what you want to leave this world for, like ils.
Speaker 4: Like there's no imminent danger, like if he has a gun, wait for backup, like even if this guy has a gun, like backup cameras, like other things we can do, like to get these to draw people out, rather than go into a situation where you have no idea how many people are behind a door, how many weapons there are, Like you have no idea. It's like I doubt it's what the police department teaches.
Speaker 2: No, And so she's a dumb bitch. So yeah, she decides to run into this hallway. She then is on the ground, she is shot. There's gunfire everywhere, like we hear all of this noise. So then he wants to save her, so he pulls her out. Then he puts his gun into the hallway without looking again like an action movie.
Speaker 1: I'm like, are we in Rambo? Yeah, he's around.
Speaker 4: A nine agree corner with no visibility, just pounding his weapon like shoot shoo, shoot choo choot like an insane And so then of course, the boy is shot and Tomorrow keeps screaming, secure the gun, Secure the gun. There is no gun, and the young boy is bleeding out. Now his parents are screaming, and then Tomorrow like he just was running home. And then Tomorrow and this boy is like it seems like he is dying blood everyone and they're making dramatic eye contact. They are looking at each other. And now Tomorrow is like holding the boy's wound. And now it's the credits and this is a mess. So now, and also what I don't understand is like, you don't even know these cops, like what, yeah, you shot a kid for some bit you don't even know.
Speaker 1: I don't get it.
Speaker 2: We're back and you know all the cops staff, everyone's running around, everyone's looking for this gun. And then the EMT does say that Tomorrow did a good job with doing triage and it did save the boy's life. The boy is wheeled out on a stretcher and out of his coat falls caught which is an East African amphetamine and Somali pirates use it to be fearless and I kind of like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so omar kaht cot what is that? Well?
Speaker 4: Amara was like this small amount. This is like a small time dealer. Yep, yeah, that's why I and whatever. We'll get to more and more infuriation. So then friend of the pod Kathy Moorey already walks in as Captain Tony Howard were obsessed with her, and she said, you saved my guys, thank you. I didn't realize SV was working with my precinct. Rollins goes, no, we were just walking and we saw an officer get hit by a cap.
Speaker 1: So he asks.
Speaker 4: Tony how is McKenna and the response is that she lost some blood but she'll be okay. And then of course Tony hates to ask, but she needs his weapon and he needs to go to the hospital for a full work up and blood alcohol level. Fuck he had wine. So then Rollin said it was a good shoot.
Speaker 1: You weren't there.
Speaker 2: Mariarty fires back, kid was armed, find the weapon, So Amara walks off. Rollins looks worried, huge crowds everywhere. Benson arrives to check in on him with Kragan. He gives them the low down. Howard's actually Finn's old lieutenant from narcotics. So then Kragan goes, that doesn't matter, you know, not to say anything to anybody. So Craigan goes with Tomorrow to the hospital and Tomorrow says he had to shoot because McKenna was down, and Craigan goes, you can't talk to me either, like this is not privileged.
Speaker 1: Shut your fucking mouth. So the rest of the squad stays to.
Speaker 2: Help find the gun, and Howard is warm to Finn and relieved he saw nothing so she can actually put him to work. Benson offers her French skills, of course, to talk to the parents. Howard said, no, tranp no, it's fine. We have a translator on the way, but fix Benson. So they can't be the main investigators obviously, but before everyone shows up, they can at least help look for the gun. So at this point I don't feel has a gun, and he proved why he ran because fuck the police, like you're just shooting into a hallway with one kid, You're a fucking lunatic. Rollins finds a big problem. There's a window, a giant window open in the apartment, and there's an older brother missing, and Howard knows him. He has a rap sheet for pedaling without permits, really like petty shit, but he's well known to the squad, so they're like, well, maybe he went out the window with the gun. Now, a blonde woman introduces herself to Tomorrow at the hospital. Her name is Dede Densler, and that's going to be his delegate. She stops the nurse from taking his blood and says to wait that they have to talk police confidential business. And this actress has actually been in six episodes of SBU, spanning season two to seventeen, three different characters, and I actually recognized her as one of the lesbians in the cheating Curve from Sex and the City that Charlotte starts hanging out with, which Tomorrow Tuney's in that episode as well, So that's exciting. So the nurse with funky scrubs leaves and they get down to business. She's like, none of this is privileged, but he goes, listen, I had two glasses of wine. She's like, you need to talk to a psychologist. She says, tell me everything.
Speaker 4: Hopefully they find the gun, and Amaro's like, I hope the kid lives, Like who cares about the gun?
Speaker 1: Like I do? Like this he has humanity. He goes, what what is he?
Speaker 4: Sixteen? And she goes, they're claiming fourteen? What do you mean claiming? What do you mean claiming he's fourteen? Why would they lie? Amaro looks really.
Speaker 2: Sad, and uh oh it's Tucker walking in and he's pissed. So this is funny, Like we always say how IAB is just.
Speaker 4: To make sure the cops are like doing the right thing. But there are these enemies.
Speaker 2: And even in this episode where it's like a kid is a shot, like everyone is still treating it like fuck, leave them alone.
Speaker 1: He just shot into a hallway and shot a kid.
Speaker 4: No, you know what I mean, with no evidence, we'll run backing cops anymore.
Speaker 1: It's just like it. It is a funky episode.
Speaker 2: So then then so basically Tucker says, the new mayor wants IAB to be involved in this case. Dean Winters is here too, you know, as Brian all hands on deck and he's training to be an IAB right now, which makes me laugh. It's like you know when you have a waitress that's training and then the real waitress stands behind and so they just it's like, no, Brian, you you try this time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, wyting you ask if they want dessert?
Speaker 2: Craigan makes the comment I don't love but he says, well, everyone only cares because he's a black team, and it's like, okay, but if that's true, is that not appropriate?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, I don't know why that's bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they care because it's a black team, because you guys continuously kill black people.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's why they're.
Speaker 4: Making there's not as many instances of cops just shooting white teens for no reason.
Speaker 1: They usually bring the white teens in a live.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you I know for a fact, you wouldn't have chased if it was a white team, Like yeah, they can pretend all they want.
Speaker 1: And that's why, like on what is it?
Speaker 2: Unconscious bias is so import because none of these people think they're racist. But it's like, there's no fucking way you would have chased a white girl like this.
Speaker 1: It's right there.
Speaker 4: It's also even right there in what we were just talking about. Oh, what is he's sixteen? No, he's fourteen. There's like a thing where people make black children seem older.
Speaker 1: They think that they're older. They treat them older.
Speaker 4: They you know, they like treat them like adults and criminals when they're children their kids. Yes, you know, yes, so that's like that writting right there into the script, into the thing, you know. Oh, they're claiming he's fourteen. No, he's fucking fourteen. Yeah, and it's like, no, if it was a white woman, she would see the department aka Leam McSweeney and start a business. So that's what would happen. Oh my god, Wait, did I tell you what happened at New York Comedy Club?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Okay, So I'm just doing a set. I mentioned the Housewives, and this kind of drunk girl yells out Aaron Lee Chee, and I go, fuck that bitch. She used Breakstone sour cream with caviaars. She's a fraud, she's and I start going off, and then the woman goes, wait, that's his aunt.
Speaker 1: That's his aunt.
Speaker 4: So she was with his nephew.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going off on his aunt.
Speaker 2: And what a horrible addition she is to the to the franchise.
Speaker 1: And then everyone obviously starts laughing.
Speaker 4: I start laughing, and then I go, no, I mean she and then I have to kind of back up, but I'm like, why would you yell out someone's name?
Speaker 2: That's like a famous part, like right when you're related. But then I said were you at that party? Were you at that fucking party? He goes, I was at the bank, the big bank party. He goes, I was at the party, and I go, was there food? And he goes, I left full and satisfied. Oh okay, standing up for his aunt.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, I just thought I would share that little tid bit funny. So, hey, you gotta be careful because remember I talked about the Queen Your Love Ultimatum show. Oh yeahs a twin sister was at our show. Yeah, so's my sister's on that. And it's like, yeah, no, you look exactly like her, right, yeah, thank god your your sister wasn't as problematic because her big titted girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Craigan's like, because he's block Okay. So then Tucker's testing Brian because he needs to prove he can be unbiased. So he thinks, I AB and the mayor are just trying to use tomorrow as a sacrificial lamb. And it's like, but he did shoot, And so then a pastor comes in from behind.
Speaker 1: Craigan is surrounded.
Speaker 2: It's Reverend Curtis Scott aka Leslie Odom Jr. Says the only person's sacrifice is Yusuf.
Speaker 1: I'm with the I'm with the reverend.
Speaker 2: So Craigan does a slow spin and goes, wow, we're word travels fast, and it's like, yeah, when the NYPD shoots an unarmed boy, we tend to talk about it. So his parents are with him. Tiger Tiger, Tiger Tigger. Okay, So Tiger fights with Pastor now too, and he's like, hold your horses, we'll see what happens. Have you seen the trend on TikTok where black people are doing things of like what phrases by white people they really do, like like white people really popped off when they came up with it, And it's like I've had it up to hear.
Speaker 1: And it's like you're cruising for a cruises.
Speaker 4: And I feel like hold your horses is one of those, yeah, that the whites popped off. And so Pastor Curtis gets invol and goes, oh, now that you can't stop him, frisk you just shoot, and they all fight that it was not racially motivated, and he gets them and goes, I thought, we haven't determined what happened yet.
Speaker 1: So it's like you guys are saying it's not race related.
Speaker 2: But then you also said the investigation's not done, so you're already just like clamoring for whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like, Rollin's going, that was a good shoot.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, you guys are not investigating and you're not being like self aware. So he says, the whole city is watching you and the mayor, so let's see. So Craigan goes, oh, babe, I wouldn't waste your time with us. So then the Reverend goes, the whole city is watching you and so is the mayor. We'll see what happens. Craigan goes, oh, I wouldn't waste your time with us. The cameras are down there, and the Reverend runs straight to the media. He is a fame wore. So Benson runs to Brian and he introduces himself as IAB so they can't talk and Benson just keeps running. She meets up with Tomorrow and the blonde delegate d d or whatever, who leaves after Benson rushes her out. She warns Tomorrow, it's a circus out there, so we're going to take you out the back door, and she does have to inform him the gun has not been found and the older brother is still missing, and Yusuf is alive, thank god, but one bullet did hit his spine, but they don't know what it means, and Tomorrow goes, yeah they do, so dramatic music plays and Tomorrow is sad. We open on walking into the woodblind's room and announcing that the kid may be piraalized. The doctor did say that Tomorrow saved use of slice, but yeah, wheelchair. Then Craigan is like, okay, so does use have have a criminal record? I don't know, but he's paralyzed now, so what Like what the fuck? I just don't understand why they can't be like we fucked up. We should be in trouble and move on. But then we wouldn't have a TV show, and I wouldn't be right.
Speaker 4: And I guess, like if you want to like play Devil's Advocate or whatever, if you're watching the episode, like the dumb Woman cop goes in from Oranges the New Black, and then you just hear.
Speaker 1: Bullets, bullets, bullets, bullets, bullets.
Speaker 4: So in his mind, somebody with a gun is there trying to shoot a cop, so he just shoots back, you know, like he thinks he's protecting his fellow officer, you know. But the way they went about it was all idiotic to begin with and not worth it and not like and not literally nobody would be injured at all if you guys just stayed outside and waited for backup. So they say, base, the little brother just has minor like street pedaling busts. It's the big brother who's the bad boy. So Benson thinks younger brother might work for older brother who ran with the gun, and Finn is like, listen, the only person who saw him with a gun is this female cop. We did a grid search for two blocks. There is nothing. The neighbors are clean. Everything is clean. So they're dead set on looking for the older brother and put pressure on people. So Tomorrow goes to church obviously to confess and get advice from his priest. And he does confess that he paralyzed a child. He's like, yeah, I know it's in the news. But the pastor says, I'm sure the guilt is a lot and a burden, and he says, no, that's the thing. According to my training, I did everything I was supposed to do. And he goes, okay, how about for your conscience and it's not really clicking. So finally goes, what tell me why you feel guilty? Was their hate in your heart? And he says no, I was just trying to help the other cop and oh, I don't know what I wrote, but it's because I called the priest a caller boy and that's why I was confused. So so the guy in the collar is like, okay, then you tell me why you feel guilty, Like, obviously all my guesses aren't working.
Speaker 1: Is it because you had a few drinks?
Speaker 4: He said it didn't affect him, but they're gonna say it did or that I did it because the kid was black, And the priest is like, oh, it's your pride, that's what's wounded. He goes, I did everything right, and it's like you didn't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just shooting into a hallway as correct.
Speaker 4: So then the priest gets it and goes, oh, okay, so you feel like you did everything right and yet God did not give you the results you expected or deserved. And then the clapback is God planned for me to paralyze yousef So whatever, they chat about God's plans, but one lesson to learn the priest says is, why don't you figure out why pride is a sin? Something to sit with? Okay, And so the actors playing the priest is, I think it's Gabenga akinagbe, thank you, and he's working. He's from the wire, he's been a nurse Jackie and you know, he really gagged Tomorrow at that point.
Speaker 1: So Amorrow goes off.
Speaker 4: He's not happy about it, and then he does a little Catholic hand thing and leaves. So if it and Rollind's go to visit McKenna and it is her first time being shot, so she's They're like, yeah, yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 1: You'll get shot again. It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: And so then she says that her deli get told her not to answer any questions, and they're like sure. But the thing is, iab is going after Tomorrow really hard. They think it was his gun and kid the kid's gun is gone, Like are you sure you saw a gun? She is testy and goes, listen, I saw a flash of metal during the deal and in the hallway I got hit by a bullet that he fired. She held her head down until Amorrow pulled her to safety, so she didn't see anything else, but maybe the woman recording on her phone did, and Rolind's is like, whoa what woman?
Speaker 1: So then the woman.
Speaker 4: Who like hates cops was in there, and Tomorrow told her to get back, but she kept her for recording that woman, and so we got to find her. So now we have Elizabeth Marvel aka Rita Calhoun Rita Calhoun. Both names don't feel real, like I always forget which one's her real name and which one's her state name, because with Marvel is kind of like an amazing after name. Yeah yeah, but that means he's paying for the big guns, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: She's not a cheap lawyer.
Speaker 4: So they walk into a room and Marie Hardy's blonde recipe voiced gift from the heavens is here, and in the room is also the IAB Dynamic Sexy bad duo. There must be like a double team fanfic of Tucker Cassidy. Yeah, IAB coming to.
Speaker 1: Enforce the rules.
Speaker 4: There must be two sexy older guys making sure the cops aren't fucking up.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: So they all sit down and they're ready for the meeting, and he doesn't like that. Cassidy's going to be asking the questions, but he is training, so he has to and it's tense. They asked you, did you announced yourself, did you see the gun? You had drinks?
Speaker 1: Did you?
Speaker 4: And the amarro gets sassy and goes, why don't you go test the holes in the walls and they're.
Speaker 1: Like we yeah, we're doing that, thanks, thanks, we are.
Speaker 2: And so then with the drinks, the line of questioning is amazing because he's at Cassidy's apartment, so like he was drinking in front of Cassidy, Like this is wild. So then they bring up like, you also didn't let the nurse take your blood, and Marvel interrupts quickly and goes, that was the delegate. But IAB does not like that, and Cassidy is now interviewing all our friends on camera and goes, yeah, he was sober. Rollins goes, yeah, they said that the suspect was armed, but also she did not see a gun. And now it's Benson in the interview room and she goes, I didn't serve him, and Tucker says, stopping, cute, detective, it was your apartment.
Speaker 1: Was he served?
Speaker 2: She says, of maybe two glasses of wine over two hours, and he ate dinner and he was unimpaired. Tucker goes, they're going to ask you this on the stand. Is that what you're going to say under oath? And it hits her like, oh, fuck, you want this to go to trial. So then we leave the interrogation montage to the elevator doors at the precinct opening up. Benson's telling Craigan like, fuck, Tucker, let it slip. He wants this to go to trial. Craigan reassures her it's not going to be Tucker's call. He's like, it's the regime change, and she goes okay, and their first act is to crucify Amorrow.
Speaker 1: He is not innocent, and she is.
Speaker 2: So loud and they walk into the office and Tomorrow overhears the conversation and Benson's like, oh, Nick, are you sure you should be here? Rollins pops up like yep, I told him to be here, And she has footage from the cell phone of the shooting. So the footage is on a website and basically we see the running. We see that like he kicks her the woman out, but the subtitles and what they make the video seem like as Tomorrow goes speak English like kind of rude like ghosts like speak English verse. He doesn't speak English, which is a huge difference, I would say. And so Tomorrow slams the laptop and he goes, this is useless and bullshit fuck, and I mean.
Speaker 4: It's it's just him shooting a kid into a hallway. But he feels set up.
Speaker 2: So now they're going to go find the og clip, not the edited one, and see if that helps at all. But before they all dispersed to go work, Cassidy and Tucker walk in and Yusuf had no guns shot residue on him at all. The only shots fired came from McKenna's gun, and Amorrow's that's it. There's no third gun and it was never fired. McKenna was shot on accident by her own gun. And she's also saying that she didn't shoot, that she tripped and her finger was on the trigger and that's why it even shot. She said she tripped and fell and did not mean to shoot. So Cragan's like, sure, but Amaro believed that a fellow officer had been shot by the perp and he was trying to save her, and Tucker says maybe, but McKenna's refusing to cooperate in any way. So he risked everything to help his fellow officer, and she's just like, I don't care.
Speaker 1: I tripped, it was an accident, and I had no idea why he was there. So also we.
Speaker 4: Find out his blood alcohol was point zero four to nine and that's two hours after the shooting, so he could have actually been impaired.
Speaker 1: And Tomorrow hands over his badge. No one even has to ask.
Speaker 2: He knows what's up, and at nine am he needs to turn himself in. Craigan says that this is a farce, arresting him before he's even been indicted, and Tucker tells him he better get his affairs in order. They all rally around tomorrow and we go straight to court. Calhoun in court is like, hey, they're rushing. This is an overcharge. This is a decorated career officer, and they want a release, and the judge says, hell, no, bail is half a million dollars, and then Calhoun goes, is this punitive or political?
Speaker 4: The judge ignores her. He calls for the bailiff and he wants the next case brought in. He's scared that he doesn't have that kind of money and h you know. Rita Calhoun goes, you have a house, you know, put it up and he's like, fuck, I have to message my wife we're separated, but.
Speaker 1: She says she better sign it. So they're going to put the house up.
Speaker 2: The media, there's a frenzy the reverends talking to the cameras about change. And then the older brother went to check in on the younger brother at the hospital. So they found him and they're holding him but she's not telling iab and told them not to and basically they're being shady, but they're going to go talk to the brother first. So Benson goes, okay, yeah, I'm gonna go chat with him, see if he can help us, like why would he? But also why would he help the person that paralyzed his brother. So we're in a cement room bars and Rollins is like, we know that Yusuf was selling cop for you, and he says, Yusef delivered for me.
Speaker 1: That's it. He never sold it. Rollins asks why did he run?
Speaker 4: And it's like, okay, captain obvious because cops kill black people and you were chasing him, so why wouldn't he be running? So then he goes, yeah, you're always fucking with us, always an excuse, whether a permit or a fine, You're always going to find a way to bother us. Finn asks why did you run, and he's like, you shot my brother, wouldn't you run to so knock knock. Benson goes to visit Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Zara is there and Grandma Amorro and Zara wants to play, but weird Time girl Weird Time puts it down, so she asks how he's doing, which also again everyone is being stupid Right now, things are not good, so Omorrow decides to channel his anger and hating Benson's boyfriend Brian Cassidy, and that Brian is enjoying this, that he's a sicko, he's leaking files, he's sam bagging me in the press, and she's like no, no, no, he hates this.
Speaker 1: She is like, you're being paranoid.
Speaker 4: This is about one Pp, Like one Ppe wants to make you a fall guye not Brian, and he's like, whatever you say.
Speaker 2: Benson goes, we all have your back. That bang, bang bang bullet shots through the window and he runs to protect Zara asks if she's okay. Everyone is super scared but physically fine. Benson calls for backup for shots fired. She walks out gun out. She finds the gunmen and they are young black men who put their hands up right away and go what are we next? Benson asked for them to explain themselves, and they say, we didn't see nothing. Amaro runs out with a baseball bat, screaming they're lying. One of the men respond maybe if someone saw you with a gun. He keeps yelling, oh, you're shooting my house with my daughter inside, and it's like you did the same thing. Yeah, you ran into someone's apartment building and shot them where their parents were right there, Like yeah, yeah, tzara you got Like now you know how it feels.
Speaker 1: I don't want anything that been a tzara.
Speaker 4: But it's like, why would someone shooting into your windows be any less like or any more bad.
Speaker 1: Than what you did? Yeah? But whatever.
Speaker 2: So he screams cuffum, cuffam now, and this is all being taped. So they say, well, you imagined a gun and there wasn't one, and he gets frustrated and then he hits the garbage can with the baseball bat. Craigan arrives and he says that they found a twenty two in the sewer. Great, and they're bringing two of the three kids in. So basically they didn't find this this gun that was shot into Tomorrow's window. And Tucker arrives on the scene, Craigan jumps up, we got this. Benson, then, in shocking news, says that she called him in. She says, Nick, I had to. Nick screams at Tucker, they shot through my windows with my mother and child inside, and Tucker goes, I get the pain and upsetness, but you can't go after civilians with a baseball bat. Oh, but they can shoot at me, and Benson tells him to stop. Craigan says, like they shot at his daughter, and Tucker goes, I understand, and I get it, but I have to investigate. So then Benson asked Tucker to please give us a minute, but before he steps outside, he tells Tomorrow he gets it and he would have done the same thing or worse. So Craigan down to business. We got to get you and your family out of here. But he's ahead of that. His mom's going to take Zara home and then they're going to go to DC tomorrow. Kraigan asks, well, what's your plan. Amara responds that he's good right where he is, you know, same old, same old hero cop talk. Benson tells him to come home with her, and he's like, gross, I'm not going to where Cassidy lives. She goes, come on, I have a comfy couch, Like I don't know, okay, they always get witnesses hotel rooms, like, get him a hotel room.
Speaker 1: Whatever she asks. She like begs. She goes, please just try it out for a few days.
Speaker 2: So he grims, and then it cuts to black and I really don't think they should be together, him and Cassidy, but okay, So then Amaro listens to Benson and he's taking the big couch and he's on the phone with Maria while Benson is setting up his couch for sleepy time.
Speaker 1: He hangs up pissed.
Speaker 2: She wants full custody to let least the trial is over, and Benson does feel sad for him. Yeah, like he can't really argue with her. It is safer for Zara to be with her mother. And if he gets convicted, He's like, what then Zara can come visit me in prison. Benson stops him and says, stop catastrophizing. And he's like, bitch, too late for that, Are you kidding me? He's already thinking like maybe I should cut a deal. And then he goes, you know who I missed right now, Munch, and Benson says they all do. So Brian walks in and.
Speaker 4: Says, hi, babe, and then he does say hi to Nick, and Nick looks forward. He will not look at him, he will not respond to him. And then Brian asks about Zarro, so he does say she's fine, but she's still like he still will not look at Cassidy and is just seething it is wild to be like, come back and stay at my apartment with my IAB and training boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Like it's like, it's just not what would happen. It's insane.
Speaker 2: So Craigan's in the office and he's spying in the glass where Amorrow's in the cement room talking to Munch on his cell phone. Craigan walks in and he says that Munch thinks he should take a deal and get this over with. He said, just because your paranoid doesn't mean you don't have enemies.
Speaker 1: Pretty good Munch.
Speaker 2: Craigan reassures Nick, like, bro, you're a good cop. But cops do make enemies. Omaro looks up and goes, so you agree, I should take the deal if I can keep my pension and just do it, and Craigan goes, I can't make that decision for you, Nick, But then he asks, have you ever thought what your life would be like without the badge? And he doesn't know, So maybe he should move to DC, he could be closer to Zara up security work, and they both sit down. Craigan goes, sure, but like this might stick with you, Amaro goes, no, I know, I'm damn no matter what.
Speaker 1: This sucks.
Speaker 2: So then Craigan leans in and says, I wish I could say NYPD looks out for their own, but I'm not gonna lie to you. Nick nods and spaces out and has a lot of thinking to do. So now we cut to the office of Special Prosecutor Derek Strauss's office played by Greg Jerman. German, I don't know, you might not know his name, but you recognize this face like he is. He's been in a few s views, but also he was in Ali McBeal and Gray's in Anatomy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he kind of looks like him. And Josh Picce can be like brothers or something. He has kind of like that look to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but doesn't he also look like like a Dax Shepherd.
Speaker 1: I feel like he also looks like Deker older. Yeah, So he's Ali.
Speaker 2: Mcbeale, Grey's anatomy And the meeting is with him, Calhoun and Tomorrow and he he goes, so, how's your son, and Tomorrow doesn't correct him. He's like, yeah, yeah, I'm good, and Derek says, well, you know, it's a tragic situation for everyone.
Speaker 1: Calhoun just wants to get to it. She's all business. She has a lot of cases. She says.
Speaker 2: He's willing to plead guilty to misdemeanor reckless endangerment, willing to leave the department but keep pension and no jail time. The dude is like, he's going to have to serve some sort of time, babe, Like, how about one year probation. She agrees for Nick and says that's fine as long as there's no felony charge on his record, but that might be an issue because they really want him to plead guilty to a hate crime. Nick scoffs stunned a hate crime. He screams where is this coming from Reverend Curtis, I am not a racist. Calhoun whips her head around and says, Nick, easy. So then Derek then has to explain you shot a black fourteen year old. And then when after two other black kids in the street with a baseball bat, Nick jumps up from his chair and says, that's it.
Speaker 1: I'm out of here.
Speaker 2: I'm done, runs off, as Derek yells, oh, don't worry, this is only the beginning. So Calhoun catches up to Nick and I love the sound of her heels on the marble court lot before clickity clacking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that amorro's a good sound.
Speaker 4: It is, it's and it's sustained because she's like chasing him, so it takes a little while, so we get a lot of little clicks.
Speaker 2: Amaro says, this has nothing to do with hate. She responds, do you seriously think you can count on a jury from them to know what was in your heart? And then she says, this is why I like defending criminals. They're much less trusting. So he won't admit to something he didn't do, and if that's pride, he doesn't care, because you know he knows the grand jury's going to indict him either way.
Speaker 1: So it's grand jury.
Speaker 4: Time Derek versus Calhoun McKenna and like Derek is just such a like douche name.
Speaker 1: It's so funny.
Speaker 4: Okay, So McKenna is on the stand and it is I mentioned this like.
Speaker 2: All cops are rah rah rah, like we're in it for each other except this one woman, even though Tomorrow like tried his best, but she's taking care of her ass like she might be on the chopping block too, or like had to do this, Like I wonder what conversation since I ab had with her? Yeah, like why not also try to indict her and stuff. She's a huge part of this. I feel like, how do we I guess the one that saw the gun? And they also tested bullets right, like it's not her bullet hit the kid. Yeah, they probably tested right her her own bullet hit herself, like she shouldn't be an officer. Yeah, yeah, you're not good, Yeah you tripped, you fell, and then a ricochet bullet shot yeah, and she said I'm going in when Tomorrow told her not to do that, you know, when Amara was like don't you know, yeah, dumb bitch, So Mitch alert, she says he did not verbalize he was a cop, but he did flash a badge and says that Omaro just started shooting immediately after she accidentally fired her gun. Now we have the nurse with the blood draw delay and she goes, it was a forty minute delay and zero point oh five like right under that is legally impaired.
Speaker 4: Robins now is on the stand and she stands by her man. So she walks out and they ask her how it is, and basically Rollins goes, well, it sucks because Derek can say things in the grand jury that he can't say in the courtroom. So there's a lot of insinuations. And Finn confirms like, oh yeah, it was bad. So now we see the boy in the wheelchair and a gaggle of people around him, and Tomorrow sees him and it's like okay, well he testifies, I'm going to be indicted for sure. Maybe I should just take a plea, and it's like, yay, you paralyze the young fourteen year olds, like yeah, the people want.
Speaker 1: To indict you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then Craigan is like, listen, I can't tell you what to do, but if you take that hate crime plea, you will not be able to live with yourself. So the squad stands in a circle supporting him before walking off. And now we're back outside the court the next day and it's Calhoun and Benson and Tomorrow, and they're talking him out of going in front of the grand jury. They're like, Derek can ask you anything he wants and it can all be used against you. Calhoun calls it a cardinal sin to go up. Well, but also I think shooting a child too cardinal sin.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's tomorrow, Like be a little self aware, like you're not good under pressure, like you know, like you will fuck up on the stale, like you if somebody baits you, you are going to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she doesn't want it. She's like, you're being investigated. You really can't.
Speaker 4: I can't be there with you, he's gonna say, and but Amara wants to do it, so he doesn't want them to.
Speaker 2: He's gonna do it. So now Derek humiliates him. First question out, he goes, so you were drunk and shot an unarmed boy. Do you still maintain you did everything right? And he said, there was a female officer down. I did what I was trained to do. Derek goes a female officer, Amoro corrects himself, officer, but the damage has been done and he and Derek says, well, you know, the last time you brought out your gun was to protect another female officer, So is that what happens you just draw your gun out every time you see a woman in danger. Is like all your reason goes out the window. And he said, I made the only decision I could under the circumstances. So then Derek recaps the night you at drinks, you didn't announce yourself during the chase. Then McKenna went around the corner, tripped and shot herself without visual confirmation that she's been fired at.
Speaker 4: And then without looking, you poked your gun around the wall and started firing. He goes, yeah, until I ascertained that the firing stopped, and Derek goes, you are the only one shooting, so you stop firing when you stop firing. He defends himself that he couldn't know those bullets were ricocheting. He says that the hallway was an echo chamber, and he's like, fuck, you know, it's so easy for you to judge in hindsight, and it took CSU twenty four hours to figure out what you expected me to figure.
Speaker 1: Out in that moment.
Speaker 4: And that is the one good point he has made all episode, where yeah, in hindsight, we're all talking about it, but but you're also a professional, and you were also in the military. But but they're also but like also the show is trying to confuse you because like in that moment, you are hearing bullets being discharged from a gun. You're not hearing ricochets like I was hearing bullets being fired.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but you're not trained. He should be better than us.
Speaker 1: Yes. True.
Speaker 2: He then asks if it would have been easier for him to figure it out if he hadn't been drinking, or if McKenna was chasing a fourteen year old white girl and we brought that up. There's no way they would have chased the fourte year old white girl. No way, There's no fucking way, no way there are. The camera goes to a black woman juror who is looking him up and down with a grin like you've been gotten, you fool. Derek had no more questions and amorrow is asked to step down, and then another juror, also a black woman, asks wait, we can ask something right.
Speaker 1: Derek allows it.
Speaker 2: She asks, detective, do you think it would have made a difference that night if you hadn't been drinking? Tomorrow? Answers, ma'am, My judgment was not impaired. She asks another question, like okay, and like that lawyer said if it had been a fourteen year old white girl. He says, I did not shoot yousif because he's black. Shelian's back and says, so you honestly think you did ever everything right. It takes them a few moments to gather himself, and he says, there's no right way to shoot a fourteen year old boy, cripple him and put him in a wheelchair. I've always prided myself on following my training and my professionalism and respect for the law. I've been struggling to reconcile with how doing everything right can lead to such a horribly wrong result.
Speaker 1: Tears are welled up in his eyes.
Speaker 4: But if it was that situation again, would I do the same thing?
Speaker 1: Yes? But do I regret yes? Yes I do. So if you regret it, why would you do everything the same way? Okay?
Speaker 4: So she's deep in thought. Everyone on the jury is like thinking honestly.
Speaker 2: So Amaro was standing in the hallway as Benson approaches and asks if he wants to take a walk, but he doesn't because Calhoun said this would be fast. They only need thirteen people to indict. Calhoun walks over to him, but before Calhoun can even say anything, Nick says, you are right, counselor, this was a mistake, and she goes, no, I was wrong. Tenant, dight and eight didn't want to He is free to go. Oh wow, she is going to tell the press that the DA overreached, and Benson thanks Rita. She spins away, ready to make the mayor and commissioner like trip all over their shit and all all over their ties.
Speaker 1: She what was she gonna say? Balls, trip all over their balls? I think that's what I think that's the that's a saying yeah, but she says ties walk over your dicks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's a little dirty humor. I was gonna go have a martini afterwork. So Benson says cynic like, let's get the hell out of here. But then we get a glimpse of usif surrounded by his family in a wheelchair, and that is bullshit, Like I to not indict this cop who paralyzed this kid, because I wonder if there's no indict if they can still do a civil trial and like sue the department or not you can, okay, so that at least, but I mean, I don't I can't imagine how this family is feeling right now, like that they're like that their son doesn't fucking matter. So then Nick decides to go talk to them, which is a bullshit decision.
Speaker 2: Leave them alone. He can't walk, so then Reverend Curtis stops him, thank God, like, Nick, get the fuck over yourself and says, now's not the time, officer, while putting his hands up to stop him from getting any closer to the family. And Nick does walk away, but really slowly, and he still looks at them, and he breathes really deep and then bites his lip and he starts to cry. So now he's back at work at the desk, and Craigan puts his badge back on his desk and Nick asks, like, what does one PP want? So after two days of negotiations, he's looking at command discipline, anger management, and mandatory retraining to be done using vacation days, and for the moment, he's on desk duty until Benson says he's not, and she looks up from her desk and goes, what And Finn's listening now too, and Craigan asks for their attention from everybody and says, listen up. He didn't want to announce this until Nick's situation got resolved, and now that it's done, so is he he is leaving? Robin screams what now? So Tomorrow stands up and is like, if this is part of the deal, then fuck this. Craig goes, Nope, this is my call. I'm going to travel around the world with Eileen. She got us two tickets for a six month cruise. And he's accrued enough leave too, like he can take all of his leave until his mandatory retirement. So basically he would make less money if he stayed than if he left. And Rollin starts to tear up and says, well, if anyone's earned it, and he's honored and grateful to Rick was such a great group of detectives, and he says that the finest he knows, and he's proud.
Speaker 1: He's proud of them.
Speaker 2: He says, Nick, you will get through this because you're a good cop and a good man Amanda, he was never sorry for bringing her up from Atlanta, and he would do it again. And then Finn, he says, for a guy who should have never been an SVU detective, you're okay. He says right back at you, captain, and nobody can ever take your place, and Craigan says, well for the meantime, Detective Benson will it's not easy going from player to coach, so don't bust her chops, and then he leans into Benson and says, if they do, just give.
Speaker 1: It right back.
Speaker 2: And then everyone claps, and I do love merch because black manicure it's perfect.
Speaker 1: Everyone claps, keep.
Speaker 4: Clapping, and he's now packing up his office and Benson comes into chat. Benson says, we got to throw you a party. He goes, I don't like parties, and she giggles. He says this is good word of advice. She says please, and they giggle again. He says, I gave my whole life to the NYPD and I forgot to live my own me and Eileen, that's a hail Mary, that's my shot at happiness. People used to say this to me all the time, and I never understood what they meant, but take care of yourself. She smiles a tender smile. He says, you deserve it.
Speaker 1: They hug.
Speaker 2: He takes his bag of stuff on the way out and says, oh, and Olivia do something with the place.
Speaker 1: Will you?
Speaker 4: And that's dick well baby, And she does do something with the place. She turns it into a sleek, modern future. Yeah, I profiling place. I miss the way the priestcinct used to look. I'm gonna be honest, thank you Lisa for walking us through that very wild episode.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not going to look up from here. I'm going to say that. So Ramarlee Graham.
Speaker 4: This is the case of Vermarley Graham, who was eighteen years old born in Jamaica, but was living in the Bronx in twenty twelve. And on February second of twenty twelve, a narcotics unit was taking out a bodega on East two hundred and twenty eighth Street in the Bronx. I think it's the Wakefield neighborhood of the Bronx where a tipster told them drugs were being sold again, drugs, Like I don't think anybody said, hey, there's a cartel there with tons and tons of heroin. It sounds like it's baggies of weed and coke passing between people. Like it doesn't sound like it's, you know, massive quantities. I understand that drugs are a problem, but I have a problem with the war on drugs a little bit. Officers reportedly saw three men leaving the bodega, and they said that they observed the butt of a gun on Romarley Graham, who they claimed was adjusting it in the waistband of his pants. So this a man with the most hilariously named cop of all time, Richard Haste. Officer Richard Haste, like you know, Haste is like when you work without thinking, you go too quickly, and Officer John McLaughlin were in a police van for prisoners and they saw Graham on the street and they followed him. The police at first claimed that Ramarley ran away from them, but that was later debunked when surveillance footage showed him walking casually as the police followed him. And then Richard Hays followed Graham into the apartment building that he shared with his grandmother, even though he did not have permission to enter that home.
Speaker 1: And that's probably why they said that he.
Speaker 4: Was running so that they could claim that they were in pursuit, because then I think cops can enter our places if they're in hot pursuit. But they can't. They can't just go into places without warrens. So when Hays got to the apartment, Romarley was in the bathroom dumping a small amount of marijuana into the toilet, trying to flush it. So this is like a kid that's like, fuck, I don't want the cops to bust me for weed flushing a tiny bit of weed in tinfoil. And his grandmother's right there, and like that's what is like the punishment for a small amount of weed in America. If you're a cop, it's like you like you just basically get to kill them. So the idiot cop shot multiple rounds into this eighteen year old and murdered him right in front of his grandmother. He so unfortunately he wasn't saved by the cop like in this episode. He did die, and the cop later claimed that he thought Romarley was reaching for a gun in his waistband and that he heard another officer say, I see the weapon. It's on him, so much like in this episode, it was like secondhand information about what other officers were telling each other.
Speaker 1: And guess what, there was no fucking gun. There was never a gun.
Speaker 4: Okay, there was no brother going out the window like in the episode. There was just no fucking gun at all. Like I think they found a toy gun in the backyard of the house. That's as close to a gun as they found. So originally hayste is put on desk duty. Then he is charged with slaughter, and so he was indicted and charged with manslaughter. But then a judge had to dismiss the charges. This is in May of twenty thirteen because they found that the prosecution had given improper instructions to the grand jury that indicted him, and the judge was pissed. Like the judge was named Justice Stephen Barrett said, quote with not great pleasure, I'm obliged in.
Speaker 1: This case to dismiss the charges.
Speaker 4: So they instructed him them based on something that involved what the cop was told by other cops and that made it that placed in importance on it that it didn't need to be placed on it, that would have come out in trial later, and they said that could have influenced the indictment.
Speaker 1: So they had to dismiss that.
Speaker 4: Trial, and then another grand jury, much like in this episode, decided not to charge him. So this was the So basically he's saying I saw gun. His lawyers are trying to say this was an officer trying to get a gun off the streets, trying to help people try like and everyone else is like, no, this is absolute bullshit like this. It's also it's like weed, what are you talking about? So this is in twenty twelve. An NYPD officer had not been charged in a case involving a police shooting since two thousand and seven, when three detectives were charged in the murder of Sean Bell, which was huge when I was living in New York, Like, that was in the papers every day. This was a guy who was shot on his wedding day, like outside. It was basically he was outside of a strip club. I think his bachelor party had been the night before. He was shot by these cops outside of a strip club in Queen's.
Speaker 1: And it was the day he was supposed to get married.
Speaker 4: It was horrible and it was all over the news back when I lived in New York. And it's been five years since any cop has been charged, and a lot of anger about police brutality and racial profileing by the police had sort of faded, and now this murder of Romarley Graham brought it all back into the forefront. So when the judge dismissed the case, obviously Ramarley's family was like screaming and angry in the court. But when hayeswapped out, cops were in line, high fiving him as he walked out, of course, so eventually the city did pay Ramarley Graham's family three point nine million dollars in a civil suit. So they did get a civil judgment. But five years after the shooting, which happened in twenty twelve, this is now twenty seventeen, there was an internal NYPD investigation into haste handling of the shooting. Prosecutors were looking to get Haste fired and they said he never should have entered the apartment alone or kicked down the bathroom door, and one of the prosecutors, Beth Douglas said, quote Officer Hayse was completely exposed and used none of the tactics that were taught to him in the department end quote. And his lawyers again tried to argue, this is a hero trying to keep it going off the streets. But eventually he was found guilty in the NYPD disciplinary review, which ruled that he had used poor tactical judgment and recommended his dismissal. And so he had been on the force for not even ten years. He had been on since two thousand and eight. So twenty seventeen, he gets indict not indicted, but he gets found guilty by this disciplinary review and.
Speaker 1: He tenders his resignation two days later.
Speaker 4: The disciplinary review board also said that right after Ramarley locked himself in his apartment, officers should have retreated, but this idiot had to like go off and go in. So they they, you know, were like, this is not how we train people. So officer has, uh, just like Amorrow had the whole plea deal thing, which he kind of ended up rejecting. This guy, officer has also rejected a plea deal. And in the plea deal, he wouldn't have had to have the disciplinary hearing. He would have just resigned with a small pension. And he thought, no, no, the boys in blue are going to back me up. But like actually they're like, no, you are actually super dumb. And you are too dumb to be a cop. So he is off the force and that's the only good thing in this story. But sadly Ramartley Graham lost his life. Yeah, but even just like the pension of it all is so annoying where it's like even this three point nine million dollars, like that should come out of their probably like it sucks because why does it actually hurt them, Like the police pay out I think hundreds of millions of dollars in wrongful days. Oh yeah, suits and all this, but it comes out of our like we pay like our taxes pay for that, I know, And that is like if I that was like one of my top things.
Speaker 1: I stayed all the time on this pot.
Speaker 4: But they should have to pay for it because there were a couple of other kids should have their.
Speaker 1: Way, they should have their like salary garnish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because there were a couple of other cases that were kind of linked to the Oranges the New Black Woman's uh side of it, where cops shot by accident, Like one guy shot a kid when he was just like unholstering his gun and it went off and like those those cops like did get off. But also huge civil amounts were awarded to those families as well, So which good. But I mean, I don't know how much you pay for someone's life. But yeah, you're right, it's like it's happening all the time. They are paying millions and millions and millions all the time.
Speaker 1: So that's that.
Speaker 4: It's a fucked up case and a fucked up episode. But guys, we're about to make your day with an amazing guest, so stay right where you are. Our guest today truly needs no introduction, but he will get one anyway. He is known for his role as Detective Scottie Vallens on Cold Case or a drug cartel leader Miguel Galindo on My Ens, but you guys know him as the lovable hothead detective Nickomarrow. Please enjoy a chat that we enjoyed so much with the very talented Danny Pino. Danny Pino, gosh, we've been waiting a long time for this.
Speaker 1: We're very excited.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I'm excited too. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: This is huge for USAIC.
Speaker 2: People didn't hear it, but in your soundtrack you mentioned him. He was our first cast member guest. Of course he was, so it was a big and he was amazing.
Speaker 4: He took out a charcoal drawing of him and the monkey and the basketball from an episode in season ten, and he was a legend.
Speaker 1: But we are so excited.
Speaker 4: To have you here today so we could talk about your illustrious career on Law and Order SVU, but also other projects you.
Speaker 1: Have going on.
Speaker 4: When you came onto this show, you'd already been in like procedurals like Cold Case and stuff like that, right, so you'd been on a procedural before, but you kind of came at a time where like Maloney had just left and you were like sort of filling these big Maloney size shoes.
Speaker 1: What was that like?
Speaker 4: Do you remember how like what it was like at the beginning. I'm sure by the end it was like, you know, the well oiled machine we hear about all the time, that is the SVU set, But like, how was it when you just walked into the role of Amorrow.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, thank you for having me. I'm excited to revisit Tomorrow. I'm excited to you know, revisit Law and Order SVU. Some of the best years of my career were spent in that precinct with that crew and with that cast and those writers, knowing that we were going to talk about Tomorrow's one eighty today, I rewatched it and uh, you know, I I'm just so proud of the work that we all did there and to be counted among that. You know, that legacy and Chris Maloney is no different. The legacy that he left. His shadow was long. And I didn't really just walk into it, you know, it wasn't It wasn't like it was presented to me as like you are going to be sort of Benson's next partner. In fact, having to come and test for the role was something that was mandatory, you know, given how big a role it was, and how you know, like I said, the legacy of the show was sort of at a tipping point. And so I flew out to New York, and you know, I was among you know, several other actors who they were looking to cast. And so when I landed and I was the last one to test, I walked on to set. It was the most actualized test I've ever been a part of. We were actually in the in the conference room of the precinct, and we we actually had a full crew. They had cameras set up on Dolly's and they had lighting. They had cast actors to read opposite me who were off book, so it was almost as if we were shooting a scene and my character then, you know, didn't really have a name. So I just I walked onto, you know, onto the set, and I remember the actor was asleep, you know, playing playing that character.
Speaker 6: The character was asleep.
Speaker 5: And when I walked onto the set the first time to sort of rehearse and kind of get a sense as to how we were going to shoot this, I looked down and there were a bunch of marks already on the floor right And I looked up and you know, having done it for a while, I realized, well, they've already set up the light and that's probably corresponding with the marks. And the camera was already on a Dolly on a track, so they had all the movements set up. And I called, you know, Michael Green, who became a very good friend, you know, after that. I didn't know who he was before that, but that was the director of photography. I called Michael greenover and I said, how vital are these marks? Like do I have to hit these particular marks? I mean, who set these marks. They said, well, the previous actors who came into audition, the first actor set them, and then everybody else sort of like hit those marks throughout the day of auditioning.
Speaker 6: And I looked at.
Speaker 5: Michael and I said, would it be okay if we lifted the marks? I mean, I don't want to be held to what other actors did. I kind of want to find this character on my own. And I said, and I'm aware that you've set up your lights, and I don't want to cause any issues, but I also don't feel like I want to step into somebody else's instincts. I want to follow my own instincts in the scene. And if I'm going to get the role, it'll be because I followed my instincts, not because I was trying to fit somebody else's sort of parameters. And Michael looked up at his lights and he looked at me and he's he looked back at the crew that was all, you know, uh waiting, and he said, uh, strip the marks, boys, please, And so they stripped the marks. And I looked over the shoulder, over his shoulder, and Mariushka was standing, you know, kind of in the precinct with Dick Wolf and you know that whole brain trust watching the audition, and I thought, for sure, I'm never going to get this, Like I already came in and rocked the boat, and and so we found it. We found the scene. I never felt like I was replacing Chris Maloney, although obviously I think that that's a convenient and probably easy way to phrase it. Thankfully, I can't on board with Kelly Giddish, right, and so in fact she in terms of the chronology of shooting, Kelly started before me.
Speaker 2: Did you guys have kind of like an immediate kinship since you both entered in season thirteen?
Speaker 6: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think we both We both knew that there was a microscope on us, and you know, the pressure was high. We felt a certain amount of responsibility not only to the show and to the cast and to the crew, but also to the fans. You know, we wanted to make sure that the fans saw a show that they were familiar with but that was new.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we were curious.
Speaker 2: So like when you watch this back or when you were reading these scripts, when Tomorrow does go kind of rogue or makes these mistakes, what goes through your mind when you read, are you like, what the fuck don't do this?
Speaker 1: Or you like you have to understand what he's doing, or like how is that? When you're reading?
Speaker 5: Well man, you know, mostly exciting, you know, and whatever you feel As an actor, you know, I don't know how I'm gonna do this.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm I'm a little bit scared by this, this arc.
Speaker 5: You know, how am I gonna How am I going to play that without overdoing it? Without under selling it? How am I going to stay in the moment and really you know, give the character his due, Especially when you get great writing, You're like, I just don't want to mess this up, you know. So, I mean that's really that's really my main focus. You know, I'm a fan first, so I get to read, I get to read what.
Speaker 6: Is happening for the characters.
Speaker 5: I'm among the first one the first people to find out what is going to happen. So it's a page turner, especially with you know, with our writing staff. It was like I wanted to find out what was going on, and and then I pay very close attention to sort of what that roller coaster of emotion and anticipation, what's going to happen next In that first read, I try to pay a lot of attention to that because that's essentially the ride that the fans are going to take.
Speaker 6: And so when I.
Speaker 5: Read that first uh, that first read through of the script, I don't take notes, I don't highlight anything. It really is sitting down for forty five minutes to an hour without interruption and just let the story flow through. And so that way I know, okay, I'm keenly aware of how this story blows.
Speaker 2: You did mention that the character there was no name, There was kind of nothing like all the guys you were auditioning with.
Speaker 1: Did everyone look different?
Speaker 4: Did they have any idea or did you really create this person together and like the name of him? Or I also noticed like first scene in the personal fouls facial hair, second scene no facial hair, Like did you come in with a beer? Did they want to take it? Like, I'm just so curious about that.
Speaker 5: I think you know the idea was and I think the name came from Warren Light. I'm not sure where he came up with the name. I know he likes Italian red wine, so it could be that you know that a morl comes from that I'm not one hundred percent. You might have to ask him. The idea that he was coming in from an undercover squad was, I think, something that we were both keen on. And I also wanted to come on and not look like Scottie Vollen's right, because Cold Case had essentially just ended, and frankly, I wasn't looking to be on another procedural show. In fact, when I was first approached about this opportunity, I turned it down because I just felt like number one, I felt like it wasn't I didn't want to step on the same footprint that I had already sort of walked. And so I said, you know, let's Cold Case had already ended maybe a year before, and I wanted to give myself a chance to try something else. And so about three days after humbly and gratefully turning down the opportunity of being on SVU, I got a call back from Dick Wolf and you know, the Wolf camp, and they said, well, what do you want to what do you want?
Speaker 6: What is it that you want?
Speaker 5: And so that conversation started in earnest in terms of shaping the character and how he would be different from Scotty Valance and how you know his arc would be different from Scotty and that essentially he would be given a lot of turmoil and that I'd be able to play all of these different levels and shades and whatnot.
Speaker 6: And so that started the conversation in earnest and so I think.
Speaker 5: That leads back to how do we, you know, close a chapter of Cold Case that was so meaningful to me, not only as an actor but personally with everybody involved on the show and sort of wipe the slate clean and show up physically looking different. Uh, so that we there's a clean cut between Scottie Vollen's and Nickomarrow.
Speaker 6: And that was one of the.
Speaker 5: Things that that we talked about that Warren and I talked about is that he'd come in looking like Circroco. And I think there's a line. There's a line where they refer to me.
Speaker 4: As that Munch calls you at one point, I think, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: Well, Richard, thank you for bringing up Richard Belzer.
Speaker 6: I love Richard Belzer.
Speaker 4: You guys have like such a friendship as your characters. Was that like mimicking a real life friendship?
Speaker 6: Woof?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he was a legend.
Speaker 5: It's hard it's hard to even talk about Brankley. Yeah, the mentorship and friendship between myself and Richard Belzer that as you can tell, was very real. Uh, you know, when just to go back when we're talking about, you know, this transition in the show, this sort of false feeling that we needed to replace anybody or or you know whatever that was at the very beginning that we that we tried so hard to just you know, move past and really create our own story and our own characters, and you know, understand what and where our characters were coming from so that they would feel real, so that it wouldn't feel like, oh, nothing's happening here. We're just we're missing this you know, vital piece of what has made the last twelve years successful. And we're just going to pop these two new characters, and we really wanted to invest and make them full and that was what our main goal as artists as actors was. However, there's always the personal part, right and when you walk into the first read through, as you know, these new characters, as these new people in the production office at you know, at Chelsea Piers, and the first person to stand up from the table and come and greet you and you know, give you a hug and just say, hey, I'm excited that you're here. You're part of the family. So that's that's Richard Belzer, you know. And so it started, It started from the very beginning. And I don't know whether Warren and Julie and the.
Speaker 6: Writers saw that.
Speaker 5: I don't know, you know, they're very observant, and I'm not sure whether you know there were drawing parallels from real life to then you know, put in their scripts and on our show.
Speaker 6: But Belzer from day one was that for me.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know Dan Floric also you know, had a lot of that. So to see in Tomorrow's one eighty uh, that Kragan, you know, the sort of the biggest sort of movement at the end of that episode is that Kragan, Uh, you know leaves squad. You know, I remember that day very very clearly. But certainly, you know, Belzer was was a a way for tomorrow, you know, Munch was away for tomorrow to have support and sort of like that unconditional support.
Speaker 6: Ah. And you know, I think we all miss him.
Speaker 5: Uh and uh, you know, I I have very very beautiful memories of Bells.
Speaker 1: Were you always a theater kid?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, since sixth sixth grade. I was. I was a theater rat. I was.
Speaker 5: I was always in a player in a musical. I studied theater in from my undergrad at Florida International University. I got my BFA there and then I went to ny US two School of the Arts to get my master's degree in theater performance.
Speaker 2: What do you look back on any of your childhood roles? Finally, any stick out?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I mean I loved Shakespeare.
Speaker 5: I used to to you know, I used to throw myself into that quite a bit, anywhere from Romeo to Hamlet to Petrucchio and then as a professional doing Shakespeare in the Park a few times.
Speaker 6: You know that. Yeah, that was.
Speaker 5: Moments in your career where you look back and you just like, I'm at the Delacorte Theater.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, it's you know, like you know, like the legacy of law and order.
Speaker 5: He's you're you're on set and you're like, I'm part of I'm part of this legacy of best for you?
Speaker 1: You have so many episodes?
Speaker 4: Are there any episodes or guest stars outside of Omorrow's one eighty that you look fondly upon or were hard or a funny story or anything, or like an actor you were really surprised to see or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Oh man, yeah, I mean the first person who popped in my head was on Gray Brower.
Speaker 6: Ah oh wow, Yeah, I mean he rested piece as well.
Speaker 5: Such such an artist, a person that I'd looked up to four years, and then to be able to watch him work, I looked up to him even more.
Speaker 1: I thought.
Speaker 4: One of the coolest career moves he made was being on Brooklyn ninet nine, because he was this super serious actor, very respected, and and then he does this like very goofy comedy where.
Speaker 1: He absolutely killed it.
Speaker 4: Is that something you have ever like thought about doing getting into the comedy space at all? I mean, like we're both comedians and obviously this is a pretty serious show. We always talk about how like the Bellser seasons were kind of like the ones that had the comedy infused in it, like you know, you and him had some ribbing, him and Finn, you know, But is like, would you ever challenge yourself because like, after this show, you did my INDs, and you know, you do a lot of these like gritty dramas. Have you ever thought about like being a goofy guy on a sitcom.
Speaker 5: Ever, I think my wife would say, you're a goofy guy in reality, so that it probably would translate a lot easier to doing the comedy than to doing sort of these darker, grittier roles. You know, I had the honor the great good fortune of working with Rita Moreno and oh yes, yes yeah, and being on one day at a time for an episode.
Speaker 6: It was so much fun. Uh, And it's something that I look forward to.
Speaker 5: But you know, Andre could do anything, you know, and that's one of those things that I always look up to in any performer.
Speaker 2: Why I'll switch episodes brought great memories to We always like to talk about the episodes that haunt us forever. Are there any that you've read or that scenes you've been in it that I have stuck with you and have haunted you?
Speaker 1: Maybe Hunting Ground?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say one of my best haunted is Hunting Ground, which you're a big part of. And that's one of those episodes where were like, god, SVU, you really took it there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, there there were several. I think.
Speaker 5: Any episode that deals with children, you know, I have at that I have two boys, and at that time my kids were when we moved from Los Angeles to New Or to start s View, my sons were going one was going into kindergarten and the other one was going into.
Speaker 6: The fours in pre k.
Speaker 5: So anything that dealt with kids was tough. I remember there were a couple of episodes where I would we'd shoot a scene late at night, and it was just tough. It was a really tough emotional scene. And I'd come home and before i'd even you know, say hello to my wife, I knew my kids were asleep. I'd just sneak into their room because they shared a room, and I would just sit in their room because it was just harsh.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: It's you know, to sort of understand that our show depicts some things that actually happened, and you know, to count your blessings and to sort of be able to let some of that go even though we are pretending, you know, and it's it's all, you know, fictionalized. Sometimes your body doesn't know that you know, your emotion does you know, you can just let it go and you're like, that never happened. We can just walk away, but your body still sometimes retains that and so you know, there were there were a few times where I just sat in in my kids rooms and just like I was able to to in Spanish and Cuban, we'd say I was able to sort of like release it all. Yeah, but yeah, no, I think I think those were the hardest ones to sort of get past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those kid actors are.
Speaker 6: So good, so good. One of the memories from Amorro's one eighty. Yes. Yeah, I'm not sure whether Dan Floord mentioned his last day, did he? Did he talk about him?
Speaker 2: Well, he told us about the gift because someone gave him that painting with him and Kimba, and we really loved that monkey. Well, I could tell you what he fed the monkey. That's what I remember. He gave the monkey gummy bears. But I don't remember the last day.
Speaker 4: We probably we talked to him for a little while and I'm not sure what actually made the interview or not, but I think he mentioned it.
Speaker 5: But tell us, well, we just talked about Shakespeare. So Dan Floric is a fantastic, phenomenal talent. I mean, he's been doing Shakespeare, you know, his entire career, and he's just one of those pros that I look up to not only as a friend and as a mentor, but just as an artist. And the way that he left the show that you know, that day when I was watching Tomorrow's one eighty, it just came all rushing back.
Speaker 6: I believe it was a prospero monologue.
Speaker 5: So the entire crew comes out, you know, some of the writers were there, some of the producers were there. You know, some of the actors who weren't in the scene came in any way, and you know, there are applause all around, and you know, very emotional, and Dan quiets everybody down, and we expect for him to say something to the crew and to the cast and to the writers, and he takes a moment, he gathers himself, and I'm thinking, well, he's getting emotional. You know, I don't know that he's going to be able to express anything. And he goes into this monologue without saying I want to say this thing of the Shakespeare, this Prospero model. He just goes into it and it's about life and it's about time, and it's about sort of understanding the value of the people around you. And I don't remember the monologue exactly, but I remember how it made me feel and it made me feel number one, an incredible amount of respect for this man who chose this moment to deliver this monologue.
Speaker 6: Wasn't reading.
Speaker 5: It was off the top of his head, and it was so steady and emotional because of the stakes that were in the room, and of the time that he had spent in that squad room and what he had given to all of us. And yet again this was another gift, like I'm giving you this monologue, this is this is what I do best, and here it is for you, and I'll never forget.
Speaker 6: I'll never forget that. That is how he chose to say goodbye.
Speaker 1: Can I ask how your last day was?
Speaker 6: I was emotional wreck, I was a mess. I was a mess. I mean, for me, it was it was a long time coming.
Speaker 5: I had already known that I was going to, you know, that a tomorrow is going to cycle out from you know, months before I had already sort of had conversations that tomorrow's.
Speaker 6: Time, you know, on the squad was was going to be limited.
Speaker 5: There was already you know, conversation probably a year before it actually happened, that you know, perhaps I was looking to maybe do something else and already we were already sort of towards the end of the amount that Amorrow could actually handle, uh in terms of, you know, the things that were being thrown at him. So it was, it was it was kind of a good marriage between you know, me having you know, played a police officer for now eleven seasons including Gold Case, uh, and wanting to potentially, you know, seek other challenges and.
Speaker 6: And also where the show was.
Speaker 5: So the emotion didn't come from uh, you know, this wasn't something that I chose. It came from I'm really going to miss these people. I'm really going to miss this crew. I'm going to miss this cast. I'm going to miss the writers.
Speaker 6: You know it.
Speaker 5: It was a moment in my life that I valued, and that transition out of you know, that world that I wasn't going to see them every single.
Speaker 6: Day was an emotional an emotional day.
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: And then do you want to talk about I'm going to say it Union derays.
Speaker 6: Oh, let's go. Yeah, you said you said it wrong, but you tried, you tried really really hard.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, you're right.
Speaker 5: There is a short film that I wrote, directed, uh and acted in and produced along with my wife Lily, who you know I begged to be a part of She's she's an actor. We met when we were in middle school and yeah, in junior high we met in an.
Speaker 6: Acting class of all places. I begged her.
Speaker 5: She turned me down like two or three times and then ultimately said yes, and uh, it's part of this this short film.
Speaker 6: The recept has been fantastic.
Speaker 5: Directing was something that I've was very interested in back even on SVU. It was something that I really wanted to delve into. Unfortunately, I was able to you know, start investigating that through the short, and then I subsequently directed to Mayan's episodes.
Speaker 6: Uh, fantastic to do that.
Speaker 5: I mean, the cast and the crew and you know elgend James, our showrunner, were just you know, there were a gift to work with. And so that that's kind of where started. Because I knew I was going to direct an episode of Minds, and I didn't want to show up to set having not directed something. So I wrote the short and we shot it about four or five months before I directed Mines.
Speaker 4: And I know de Res we probably can't watch yet, but Hotel Cocaine is the show you just did that's on MGM plus.
Speaker 5: That's Correcttel Cocaine nineteen seventy eight, Miami.
Speaker 6: Wow, I was. I was born and raised in Miami in the seventies. I do not remember a lot of it, but because I was so young.
Speaker 5: But the Mutiny Hotel and Club was the epicenter of Miami in the seventies. It's similar to saying Studio fifty four in New York.
Speaker 6: At the time. It was the.
Speaker 5: Dangerous sort of watering hole for politicians or superstars, celebrities, musicians, and the cocaine cowboys along with the Dea. So it was a rich broth of incredibly diverse characters. And I play Vermont Comte. Ermontcomte was an actual person. It was the father of Maurice Comte, who's an actor who I worked with on Mayans Oh stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So Chris Broncoto, who is our showrunner, main writer, was the co creator of Narcos, and he worked with Maurice Conte on Narcos and Maurice told him the story about his father in this, you know, the epicenter of the cocaine wars in Miami of the nineteen seventies, and Chris was like, I think there's something there. The Hotel Cocaine is really kind of a unicorn in that it's incredibly dark and violent and sexy, but it's also hilarious and there's humor and it's funny, and you know, there's so many things happening at the same time, and the balance is precarious and challenging.
Speaker 6: And that's one of the things, among many other things, that.
Speaker 5: I tipped my hat to Chris Broncato to really finding a way to tell a story that is so complicated, any complex and shifts from scene to scene.
Speaker 2: Well, I came up with a game, but I don't know, I don't know if it's cool yet. Okay, you don't have to, so I'm gonna just say things, and then you can choose between Kelly Iced Team, Marishka, Peter Scannabino, Dan Floriic Raoul or Belzer.
Speaker 6: Okay, so main main cast.
Speaker 1: Who's the most like their character probably Marishka.
Speaker 6: I mean I once said that the only person who overshadows or outshines Olivia Benson is Murska Hargita, and I'm not beautiful.
Speaker 1: Most likely to be late to work. You don't have to throw anybody out of the bus.
Speaker 6: That's sorry, Yeah, I'm not answering that question. I only look though, if you.
Speaker 4: Could go on vacation with any of these people, who would be the number one person?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: When I when Tomorrow was done on the show, we had a weekend up in the Hamptons where the entire cast came out and we had moment together.
Speaker 6: So my answer to that is all of them, because we.
Speaker 5: Had such a last it was that was really sort of my last sort of you know, goodbye to the show. Was was spending a weekend with this fantastic cast and being able to really share how much they meant to me. Uh, and for them to be able to share things with me. And the answer to your question is all of them, because they're all They're all incredibly giving and special people.
Speaker 1: I really like that you guys are in the Hamptons together. That's great.
Speaker 4: This like wen't have Honestly, there's like so much more we could talk to.
Speaker 1: You about here.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: And I appreciate, like I said, I appreciate being able to visit Tomorrow's one eighty and to revisit some of these fantastic memories. Uh, to be able to talk about Richard Belzer, because I haven't spoken about him publicly since his passing. Uh, so please excuse my emotion, but it was it was It was very cool, uh to to be able to talk about these people who that I love so much, uh, talk about this character that I love so much, uh, and to really uh one of the things I really wanted to do today was to thank the SVU diehards for their support throughout uh my time on the show and my time since I left the show. It has been uh.
Speaker 6: You know, fundamental encouragement coming from them. Uh. And I hope that they enjoy Hotel Cocaine, yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh, and and that they understand that while we're not uh it is far from SVU, that that same gray area of character navigating that with Roman Conte is.
Speaker 6: A similar world.
Speaker 5: It's a similar pathway, and they might recognize some things about Tomorrow in Roman and uh and in the writing, in the precarious position that Tomorrow was put in throughout episodes of SVVU that Roman Conte is now put in throughout episodes.
Speaker 6: Of Hotel Cocaine.
Speaker 5: And thank you for having me on your show not only to talk about moments past but also moments present.
Speaker 4: So thank you, Yeah, thank you, thank you so much for taking the time. And you'll see that the diehards, you're a treat for them, because on Instagram you're just going to see them all freaking out that that we got to talk to you, So.
Speaker 1: It will be a fun little treat.
Speaker 6: I thank you for that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I bet they knew.
Speaker 2: If we're doing, you know, amorrow's one to eighty. Who are we gonna have? The deli clerk like, yeah, we're gonna have We're gonna have amorrow for this one.
Speaker 1: And he watched.
Speaker 2: It and such a good memory and stories and a very sentimental guy. Yeah, I loved you know, no remembering the moments of auditions and all of that. And I feel not to make it about me, but I feel like that's my vibe. I want to hold on to these details and every moment is so good and I he's I'm glad he has a good career.
Speaker 1: He loves it.
Speaker 4: And I was really happy that he also opened up to us about Belzer and how much they had such a special relationship.
Speaker 1: And I mean.
Speaker 6: It was just he.
Speaker 4: Said he hasn't talked about it publicly since it happened, So I was like, very I felt honored that he would open up to us about that.
Speaker 2: That was so nice, and it just seems, you know, it's a bummer we didn't get to meet him. I guess with Belzer, you know, like that's that is something I think about that with Joan Rivers a lot.
Speaker 1: Like I always just was like, I'm going to meet Joan Rivers.
Speaker 4: I used to used to be like I'm definitely gonna meet Robin Williams one day, and like I just never will.
Speaker 1: And it's so sad. But and that's how I feel with Belser.
Speaker 2: And it's good to know that he touched the people that were closest to.
Speaker 1: Him so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he just seemed like such a real guy, like a good hurt like a mensch.
Speaker 1: You know. I think he would bail us out of jail if he could, And.
Speaker 4: I would happily open up a bar with him in Baltimore after he retires.
Speaker 1: Well, now that I love Baltimore, I get why. I get it now.
Speaker 2: One weekend of Baltimore and I go, I'm like, Munch, I'm in there with you, Like I understand why you wanted to do that.
Speaker 1: I am fully on board. But and it seems too.
Speaker 2: What I learned from Danny Pino, what I got from it is they communicate about their character and build it together and it's not just like here do this, yeah, you know, like it seems like he has says and then they kind of not capitalize what's the word, like use their real relationships and how they interacted within the show out you know.
Speaker 4: It's nice yeah, yeah, because I'm sure, like I don't know, I feel like if people don't get along in real life, they're not going to always put them in situations like always of all the characters like that, not always, I don't think.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that the famous thing about Moonlighting?
Speaker 4: Like yeah, Bruce who's as Willis and Sybil Shepherd, Yeah, they hated each other.
Speaker 1: Hated each other well for man and woman.
Speaker 4: I feel like that can kind of add a little bit of sexual attension.
Speaker 2: But wait, there's other famous ones that is interesting, Like when I hear that people hated each other, I don't know how they could do it.
Speaker 4: Those I think of like the the I don't even watch the show, but on The Good Wife, what didn't like Juliana Margalize and that other actress like didn't like each other? But then eventually like she left. I bet it also depends on like how high up the person. It's like, if Juliana Murgles does want to show with someone, she's number one, like she can do whatever she wants. But I guess what I'm saying is like this is like the reverse where I feel like they capitalize like you said on the like the good vibes between them and the like friendship that they had.
Speaker 2: So I just googled quickly, so and I did read this odd, but I guess earlier. But Charlie's Throne and Tom Hardy did not get along on Mad Max, like hated each other. Ooh well, I'm sure. Oh yeah, Patrick Swayze Jennifer Gray hated each other. Really yeah, I put in famous coasters who totally hated each other, and like I remember those articles and then I'm really curious about this clear Danes Leonardo DiCaprio, because that's like a full ass love story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it makes it It says like he likes to goof off. She did, but he doesn't. I don't know.
Speaker 4: And Julia Robber whatever, like I uh, I don't. I don't know if I have the capacity to do that, to fake it.
Speaker 1: That's the job of an actor.
Speaker 2: So I'm very impressed with these people, and like they're also getting paid millions, so it's it's like different.
Speaker 1: I just it seems.
Speaker 2: Really hard, Yeah, to hate someone and have to do like intense See, I don't know. I can't imagine in a movie at least that's like a few months or you're out, maybe you have to do press, but a show like all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well, okay, let's get to a post mortem of this episode. Obviously, I don't love any cops shooting blindly down a hallway, and I feel.
Speaker 1: I think that we let's talk about that.
Speaker 4: I'm just a cop from Orange is the New Black. Shit really should have gotten a lot more heat than she got.
Speaker 2: In this episode. But she played the game. It's all about the game. She was willing to say. He did that.
Speaker 4: I'm not talking fuck his ass, you know, like that's basically it.
Speaker 1: And I did realize I just said fuck is ass.
Speaker 4: Oh, while we're talking about fucking cop random cop stuff. Apparently there is this trial happening in Massachusetts. Okay, Karen Reid, but it's spelled Aria d. It like it's this whole fucking thing where this cop got killed at a party, and they're basically all these cops were at this party and they're framing this woman saying she did it, and like Netflix is there like shooting it right now, but it's on trial right now. All this happened in like Canton, Massachusetts. It's like I was just talking to all these girls at book club last night and they were all obsessed. They were like, you haven't heard about Karen Reid, like you have a crime podcast. I was like, I'm sorry, Like this hasn't popped up to me like this. This only took place in twenty twenty two, so it's like pretty recent. And now the trial is happening right now and they're basically finding out that between Canton police and Boston police there's all this corruption and that they're fully framing this woman.
Speaker 2: So if it's all coming out, that's good. Hopefully that's that.
Speaker 4: Ye, But there's an FBI investigation about the cop, but the jurors don't know about it. Like the jurors have been I think they might be sequestered, and they've been instructed like not to read anything. So like the jurors don't know that there's like an FBI.
Speaker 2: Why can't the defense bring it in like that must be like I hope she has a good lawyer that like that has to be able to be brought in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I literally I'm going off of what a bunch of girls frantically screamed at me yesterday over Rose, So like I really have to look at it up at myself. But I'm sure some of our listeners are following along with this, and I'm like obsessed. I'm gonna like read about it as soon as we get off with this because like why, why did why did its coworkers kill it?
Speaker 1: Like what?
Speaker 4: Because what my friends were saying is they were like their theory is that like a teen at the house maybe is responsible for him, Like everybody was wasted. They think there was like a fight and that he got he had dog bites on him. The dead body, Like they think maybe someone else, like a teen is responsible for it. And so they're all she, the woman they're accusing, is the dead person's ex wife. So they're all like just framing her because they want to save the skin of this kid. I guess, but that's like a theory. I don't even know if that's the real thing, but it seems pretty like articles I'm seeing are framed or at fault like that. I guess the cases with the jury now like they're deciding, but everybody seems to think that the jury's decision right now, yes, as of yesterday, fifteen hours ago, so like, And we're recording this like a few days before it comes out. So by the ten this episode comes out, maybe there will be a verdict already. I don't know how many days it usually takes, but it's it sounds like a really crazy case, like, so I wanted you to know about it and all of our listeners to sort of check in. And I'm sure we're going to get inside scoop from our Canton Mass environs listeners. But yeah, you're right, the cops are playing the fucking games and uh, it's no good. But let me go into what would Sister Peg do? Because this kind of leads to what we're we're talking about with what would Sister Peg Do? This is our weekly segment where we direct you guys towards an organization, a blog post, I love just say, blog post, an article, a you know, a podcast episode, something to give you more information about what we talk about because we only have so much time, and this week we wanted to point you to the National Police Accountability Project. This group is quote dedicated to holding law enforcement accountable for misconduct in our communities. It is a project of the National Lawyer's Guild and their mission is to affect change in the flawed legal system and to fight to put an end to police brutality and all forms. So if you want more information, go to NLG dash NPAP. So that's NLG is like the National Lawyers League and then NPAP is National Police Accountability Project dot org. And obviously that's a lot of letters. So it will be in our story as usual the day this comes out and saved forever in our WWSPD highlight on our Instagram page which is thats Messed Up pod And if you're not following, please give it a follow.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that, And not as an important legal news. But I did watch the Scooter Bron Taylor Swift HBO two part kind of expose that like a doc kind like one hour is Taylor's Side in one hour is Scooter's Side? Oh and the Scooter one is the side is really interesting because it's all these lawyers and business people being like it's a business. Sound deal, it's not personal, it's business, and it's like yaya, yeah, we don't like the business. Yeah, that's it's like these lawyers being like, no laws were broken. It's like, yeah, you know, we know that, Like we understand someone else owned her music and then sold it to someone she hated, like and she's a petty bitch and a good business woman, so yeah, no we get that. But that was their whole defense. It's like this was business. It's it's so we know who's they're not anyways. Retro retro everyone is next week next week's episode retro sounds more fun than it is Season ten. No, it's it's a great episode. It's just like retro reminds me of like bell Bottom. Yeah, it's not about fashion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Season ten episode five. Also, I mean today's strands. Did you already do it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I haven't. Okay, I got it open, I got my word o open right here.
Speaker 2: I gotta do it. It has to do whatever. I don't want to ruin that. It doesn't matter to any of you follow us on the internet. Bye, thank you.
Speaker 1: Next week.
Speaker 2: That's messed up as an Exactly Right Production.
Speaker 4: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 4: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our seate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to our.
Speaker 4: Mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 2: And to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 4: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 1: Dun Dun