Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. All right, so is everyone ready? Let's go, all right, people, let's work.
Speaker 2: That's going to be loud.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, that's loud.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 4: Suprema su su Suprema Roll Call, Suprema Shu Suprema roll Call, Suprema Suprema Roll Call, Suprema s Suprema.
Speaker 5: Rollmen this formIn this yeah with Bliss Bliss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the qre lists.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh yeah, greatest hits.
Speaker 1: Waiting for this.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, world perfect that mama ooh man, all the joys.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, yes, sir. Don't forget this one. You fly cogurable one. That's right, coble, I mean no place child.
Speaker 3: A listen.
Speaker 5: Not to forget the all time classic.
Speaker 1: It was a different time, It was a different Subreva Breema roll breama Suprema roll Call. My name is Fante. Yeah, I have achieved it. Yeah, last episode of quls Yeah, man, I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: Roll Supremo, Suprema, Roll Call, Supremo, Supremo, Role Call.
Speaker 7: My name is Sugar.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the end is near. Yeah, not just this podcast, yeah, my whole career.
Speaker 4: Suprema Roll Call, Supremo shut Suprema.
Speaker 7: Roll call paid bill, Yeah, my bed is made. Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: On Black History Decade.
Speaker 9: Roma subpremo, roll call, Supremo, supremo roll call. It's like him, yeah, and it's just us. Yeah, going to write something. Yeah, I'm just gonna.
Speaker 8: Roll Suprema.
Speaker 4: Prima role prima suprema rollm up.
Speaker 1: We haven't heard that. We we've not heard that. In a minute, ladies and gentlemen, this is quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 5: My name is Questlove, the de facto host of the show, the namesake of the show. And uh, you know, we are here to celebrate. I do not want this to be a mournful episode, absolutely not no. But why he's like ready to let it.
Speaker 10: Don't blame me.
Speaker 11: I mean it is an ind of era.
Speaker 9: So we are celebrating and it may get emotional because it's been a long journey.
Speaker 5: We're allowed to be emotional. Let's let emotionals, all right. So last night at dinner, I admit it that I've to watch one Q on YouTube. So I don't know if the scale has tipped to this being a podcast to this being a YouTube show.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we have more listeners or more viewers.
Speaker 11: So, oh that's a good question.
Speaker 1: Listeners. Okay, got it.
Speaker 5: Older audience radio still believe in radio. Yes, so our listenership. You know, we've kind of have a quasi even though we started twenty sixteen, we've done ten seasons of Quest Love Supreme and you know, so in my mind it feels like ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mine as well. Tell round off exactly.
Speaker 5: So to be fully transparent with you loyal listeners out there, this is sort of officially the last episode of Questlove Supreme.
Speaker 1: Is so hard, right, listen, it's a celebration.
Speaker 9: You know what I mean, we are doing it's like a TV show because you know, I was telling somebody earlier, I was like, in radio you don't get to say goodbye.
Speaker 11: That's in TV where you do a finale.
Speaker 1: Flatter about that.
Speaker 5: So when a person's doing their last episode of a show or whatever, in radio, they don't let you say goodbye, give you flowers.
Speaker 9: Or anything unless you're leaving. But it's very rare that a person is like leaving and gets to say goodbye. It's because you got fired.
Speaker 5: Softer radio leaves on their own, will most don't.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna say most don't.
Speaker 9: Maybe I think shoot, Tom Joyner might be the one that walked away when you think about it, you know, all right, well I we're starting.
Speaker 5: Still working, we're officially yeah, but I doubt he's Remember it used to be controversial, right right, Yeah, it's not, and now it's like politically on our side of the fence, which is something I never thought.
Speaker 11: Man, what have Wow, Joe Rogan happened to exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, Joe Rogan sort of became a new howardz Wow. Okay, I didn't up that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So to let our listeners know, I guess maybe it's we end the way we started, which is technically I guess Episode two with Bill Sherman with guests. Guest Bill Sermons, you're right, yeah, oh that's right. It was because Maya was too right. We just reversed it and gave you your coach. You're like Charlie Brown, thank you, not even the star of your own Halloween special.
Speaker 1: Track, look at you?
Speaker 10: Since then, a few more grays.
Speaker 5: Yeah, A lot has happened in these last air quote ten years, man, listen, like the amount of children and spouses and comings and goings and us as a unit. A lot has happened. I guess unpaid Bill, I will start with you fuck do it? What was your first musical memory?
Speaker 1: I love it?
Speaker 5: Oh, okay, because we never get to answer these questions. Yeah, so what's your first musical memory?
Speaker 7: On people being on the show for this long, I feel like everybody's like I grew up in the church, and I did not grow up in any at all. And both my parents are doctors, which I've said before, and neither of them listened to much music. But what they did listen to. My dad was like a smooth jazz guy, and my mom listened to like Yo Yo ma and Mandy Patinkin.
Speaker 1: Artists. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Montoya is like a wait time.
Speaker 1: Yeah walked on us. Yeah, he was a recording artist. He is a recording arts.
Speaker 7: He's like a big yeah, like he was in all of Sondheim's musicals and stuff. He's like a yeah, I did not And he's the you know, the famous.
Speaker 1: Wait did you get to say this to him when he bursted in?
Speaker 7: Well, I've known him for a while, so yes, I have. Okay, yeah, I mean it's not like that anyway. So so my dad listened to a lot of smooth jazz and CD one On one point, nine, which is no longer that station, but it was and so New York. Yeah, and being in his car and him it would always the car would turn on and it was always be that. And then I later went on to like sort of try to hip him to some music, but he would always sort of put the dial back to sadly ceint Well depends on who you ask, but anyway, CD one on CD one point was CD. Yeah, in the days of CDs, remember that, I thought you meant S E E D Y like questionable CD. I mean in retrospect, might have been CD no it Yeah, that was the station.
Speaker 1: So it was like the local yacht rock station. Yeah.
Speaker 7: It was mostly just like smooth jazz, like like Samborn and Richard Elliott and uh, I don't like George Benson, that smooth jazz worthy like the Yellow Jackets that kind of ship.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no idea that that was the hot the good days of smooth jazz like in present day is like born butaxophone.
Speaker 1: Player plays all right, what's the first record you ever purchased with your own money?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 7: Fuck? I think it was like Dexter Gordon something something, live something, because I was a saxophone player growing up right. We We learned this really late in my evolution. I played the saxophone growing up, was big jazz head, and I think the first thing I actually bought was a record because I used to put them on my walls. Was Dexter Gordon Live at the whatever the hell it was?
Speaker 1: As I loved him.
Speaker 5: He did a movie with didn't Yes, I think Clint East would produced it, not directed it.
Speaker 7: But I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I do know what you're called Around After Midnight or everything like that. Okay? Was he acting in it or do you?
Speaker 8: I don't know, so I wasn't autobiotical. Well you're the jazz about Round Midnight, Round Midnight. It's about Dexter Gordon and.
Speaker 5: He was starting in his own I don't know if he was. I think he was in it because that's how I first heard of out him.
Speaker 8: The soundtrack is kind of more legendary than the movie. Herbie Hancock did that soundtrack.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, So I remember on the Grammys when I first heard of Bobby McFerrin doing that. He's saying, uh, yeah, it was Bobby McFerrin and Herbie Hancock doing because I was wondering, why is this guy just singing.
Speaker 1: I was like, is he going to sing words? He's just gonna Okay, So then what is the first concert you attended?
Speaker 7: Oh, James Taylor Tilla Center. I fell asleep. I was really young, and my dad took me and he also fell asleep, and we both sort of fell I was I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But I've been that's a very soothing it was.
Speaker 7: Yes, it felt like a warm bath.
Speaker 8: Another QLs guest, James Tallen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the surprising guest for me.
Speaker 5: Why didn't realize the amount of pain and depression he like his music was the polar opposite of what his life was into.
Speaker 1: And so that is one episode that.
Speaker 5: Shot me because I thought he was as sunny and happy as his music was, and here he is telling us about.
Speaker 8: Like, yeah, he should have been a comedian. He's so depressing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 11: Based on Chris rock conversation.
Speaker 7: And my other favorite person growing up was Dave Matthews, who we also interviewed on the show and who my heroes my whole life. Because there was a saxphone player in the band, I thought.
Speaker 1: That was so cool.
Speaker 7: Dave played saxophone in the no But Dave had a band with a saxophone player in it.
Speaker 1: Leroy, Oh, okay, that's.
Speaker 9: What you mean.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you were you were in of college age when Dave Matthews was and the Roots taking.
Speaker 1: The Roots Dave Matthews and the Roots at college is.
Speaker 7: And I don't know if we've ever talked about this, but my senior year of college, the band that played my senior year concert was the Roots, and.
Speaker 9: This is at.
Speaker 1: University.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they rolled, they drove above us onto this giant field. They all walked out.
Speaker 5: Did they apologize to you guys that you weren't getting Ray Kwan and ghost Face but you're getting the Roots instead.
Speaker 7: No, but there is a classic story that most Deaf played at like our our cafeteria and like there was so many white kids that he like, played for like ten minutes and then got mad and left. That's a true story.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, he was shocked.
Speaker 5: It wasn't most I'm sorry it was That's who was That sounds right? That sounds yeah, Sorry, I fucked up. No question, Okay, all right, this is on the spot. What's the last album that you enjoyed from start to finish? I know, do you know of one album that you listened to from start to finish.
Speaker 7: Whence the last time anyone made an album that you did listen to from start to Dope? I mean, my kids are into DOCI. That record is great, and I did listen to the whole thing.
Speaker 5: That's true. There you go, Okay, that record's great. We'll take DOCI. Who are your top three guests on the show.
Speaker 7: I was just thinking about this. I loved Lenny Kravitz because he smelled really gold.
Speaker 5: Yes, and he sat right next to me, and Lenny brought a few guests out in his chest, no someone else's, but you.
Speaker 1: Know they were I love Yeah.
Speaker 2: The girls came out from Yeah, the girls came out.
Speaker 7: Girls are always kind of out anyway. And I was just actually was looking at this this paper. I was, I love what we did Scarface in Nashville.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 7: Brad was super fun and awesome that day. And then who what I'm thinking of? I like Jack White. I thought he was great. That was super fun. And that was three and my fair one, the yet unreleased Dave Sappelle episode. Because in that talk about it, which was which was a wild night, but the best part about that night, D'Angelo came and showed up to the recording and he sat down next to me and he introduced himself to me, and I thought that was like the funniest fucking thing I've ever liked.
Speaker 1: All the people like and I was like, Hi, It's more.
Speaker 7: That he also smelled good. So anyway, there you go.
Speaker 5: What would be an underrated episode in your opinion? I think we would collectively agree that Jimmy Jam's episode was the quintessential QLs episode. But what's a I almost feel that we don't give much respect for the baby face.
Speaker 11: To me, that was that was my That was literally what I was thinking, the baby face.
Speaker 1: That was crazy.
Speaker 11: We were tight and it was sweaty.
Speaker 1: It was like exactly.
Speaker 7: I also think like the ones that we did early on in the in your in the rehearsal room, the Roots rehearsal room was always like an interesting sould my Roudeolph because.
Speaker 1: That's what it was like.
Speaker 7: If you think it's tightened here, it was like real tight turntable chick fun turntable, chickens mel band.
Speaker 1: It was great. So like, what is your first musical memory in life?
Speaker 9: Damn I should have been I know I should have been ready for this first music memory in life, just dancing in my living room, listening to my parents records to Brenda Russell and Angelo Bouphil and Teddy Pendergrass.
Speaker 11: When I was little.
Speaker 1: That was it for me. Okay, do you remember the very first record that you purchased with your own money?
Speaker 11: I think so.
Speaker 9: I think that was in Japan on spring break I brought ironically, I bought Mony Love, Alyssa Milano and the New Jack City soundtrack had an album, Yes, she did.
Speaker 10: I was a very big fan of Alyssa Milano.
Speaker 2: No judgment, Wait, wait time random Eliza had an album.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that she did. She did.
Speaker 11: She was a big star to some of us, especially if you, you know.
Speaker 1: Grew up Washington. How okay, how was the album? Though?
Speaker 11: I don't remember so great?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 11: But that New Jack City album though, that bangs okay.
Speaker 1: Wow, I think that's an episode. And you bought it in Japan?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Why were you in Japan?
Speaker 9: Because my mother was a flight attendant for forty three years and she started the She's one of the people, the flight attendants that started the Japan flights, the United to Tokyo to Narita flights. So one year she was like she met a friend there and she was like, you're gonna go stay there for spring break with my friend and her son.
Speaker 11: And that's what I did.
Speaker 1: Wow, I was twelve. Okay, do you remember the very first concert you attended?
Speaker 9: I think I remember the one that I cared about because as a kid, I was always taking the concerts because especially because my cousin played drums for Stevie Wonder.
Speaker 11: But the one that I remember was Bad.
Speaker 1: Wow, you got to see the Bad Tour? Yeah, man, that didn't even come to Philadelphia.
Speaker 8: I was still angry at that.
Speaker 11: You saw it in New York or in Maryland at the Capital Center.
Speaker 1: That's right, you're not a Philadelphia.
Speaker 7: She came to Maryland and not Philadelphia. Feels like a death.
Speaker 10: Well, no, no, I didn't come to Philly. That's weird.
Speaker 5: Oh no, it's weird. It could have been local promotions, you know. I meant now, of course, like Live Nation, like everything is nationalized. But back in the eighties things were regional. But Philly was always getting the shortened the stick. I have a sound check. So Prince does the Purple Ringe Show Thanksgiving of eighty four in Philly, and there's a moment when he's sound checking, we's like I hate Philly. So it was like all the other sound checks he's like happy to be alive whatever, and here it's just like I hate Philly on the PA system. So yeah, thanks Prince. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: What is the last album or you already said doughchy, But yeah.
Speaker 11: I'm kind of I'm in. I'm all in on her her you know what, her multiple listens like you multiple listens.
Speaker 9: But also you know who y'all got me into, and I'm glad I did when I did was Salt because now, of course everybody is going to see Cleo wherever she appears in whatever city. So yeah, I've been listening to them a lot too.
Speaker 1: Okay, who are your top three guests on this show?
Speaker 11: I'm gonna say, oh, you mean shows like good Good Conversations.
Speaker 1: Your your three favorite.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna do a random one because she's my favorite because I feel like there was more to talk about and I always she stays in my head, and that's Heather Hunter.
Speaker 11: Heather Hunter was one of my favorites.
Speaker 8: I really so.
Speaker 7: Pissed that I missed that one. So many questions. I was about to go all in full eye contact giving all the heather, please did it.
Speaker 9: There's a part two to that conversation. I always felt like just me and her, we But that's the whole thing. Solange, Solange salone, Salon Salange, especially off the hills of that Saturday Night Live, that Bill Murray is knit and I don't, oh shit, Quincy Jones man sitting on his couch talk about talk about I mean, it was uncomfortable at times because you know, he did talk about my toes.
Speaker 1: A lot, and he also talked about your astrological sign.
Speaker 7: Yeah, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 1: And I'm on the corner like I'm an aquarium too.
Speaker 11: Even in the video I got him, he like them to to I'm like, Lord, those toes.
Speaker 1: Man, because he always.
Speaker 5: He always sounded to me like someone imitating Sammy Davis Jr. Always with the cough drop in his mouth, like always sort of a cough dropping thing.
Speaker 1: But yes, legendary man.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think we should.
Speaker 9: It's a hard thing to just narrow it down to to three, but I understand that's what we gotta do. But I'm looking at all these pictures, all these moments, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Do we physically have that? Quincy Jones episode.
Speaker 11: We Steve.
Speaker 10: Okay, but we do know somebody has it though.
Speaker 1: Right on we all we got episodes being held hostage.
Speaker 10: We got a few episodes hostage.
Speaker 8: That episode went straight to the Tone Museum.
Speaker 10: Why is held hostage?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 10: Rogers, where are you at?
Speaker 9: Hell?
Speaker 11: Hostage?
Speaker 1: We did interview. It was just one so short that it stopped that reference.
Speaker 11: To light and it was one more. I can't remember the other one that was hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because we had uh, Macio wasn't there. It was just poss and Dave we did. It was right after anonymous. Nobody had dropped right, uh, David pass.
Speaker 9: I was also like to throw in a mention, the honorable mention, because nobody has done this and it needs to be mentioned, the rever fucking loution.
Speaker 10: What we did with the revolution and for what.
Speaker 1: Watching you d that was magic. That was crazy. But when they sang sometimes it's now in April, I had to walk outside.
Speaker 11: Yeah that that was Maya Rudolph at that.
Speaker 1: Event was my room, yeah, my yeah, my room office there and I remember, yeah, they did sometimes the snows in April. Crazy enough. I wasn't really like that wasn't the one that got me, like, I was watching that cool when you played come Home. I don't know what it is about this song that is a sleeper prints song. Yeah, no one man, you played that one. And that was around the time too. That was literally like days after my dad had died. And so that that that night of revolution, that was just the I never I never forget that because it was right when I needed it, because like, my daddy just died, and uh, that's boss Bill was still here and he was having.
Speaker 9: Like the time, he was having enjoyment that we had never experienced in our lives.
Speaker 1: I've never seen in my life, right, brother Bossville man. But uh but yeah, so but nah, revolution that was that was epic ship. That was dope conference room actually, now you say it.
Speaker 5: We also interviewed probably our most eye opening Prince interview we never got the air, which was Robbie his assistant.
Speaker 11: All right, we didn't air it.
Speaker 5: If there was such a thing as t back then, that would have been the episode. I mean Robbie basically spoke of being Princess Valet his jerome from like eighty three to bringing up pianos on cranes into his suite. I think he even spoke one time where a kind of had a shoving match over something and he was real with it. All I know was that the higher upset Pandora, whoever was a Scott shout out to Scott Hello, But I forgot that Robbie Prince's valet also got interviewed, and we never focused on that one. So Sugar, Steve, what is your first musical memory?
Speaker 8: First musical memory, I mean there's a lot of AM radio things I could say, and early Taper quarders. I had things like that with my sister singing. But my mom had an acoustic guitar in the house and she was playing John Denver songs. That's I think sort of my first actual musical memory.
Speaker 1: Your mom plays guitar. No, no, she was just faking it, but I.
Speaker 8: Didn't know any better at the time. She's incredible.
Speaker 5: I should know based on Steve in our thread chat posted a photo of him.
Speaker 1: How many bass Cities, Yeah, that's a lot.
Speaker 8: How many Princes albums you own?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I don't own multiple, Like, yes you do, We've seen them DJ though I'm allowed to have.
Speaker 8: Oh well, I mean you have like I'm a WONDERAMA generation person, you know, as some of us are here.
Speaker 1: So every bas City Roller album you see, you just copy.
Speaker 8: It of that specific one. Yeah, that first American one with Saturday on it.
Speaker 1: It's kind of very specific.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's really just that one album that I'm obsessed with.
Speaker 11: You can I ask, what's the bas City song that I would really know?
Speaker 8: Saturday Night that's the only one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But they were just they were the one direction of the seventh Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and they were. And that's kind that's kind of my first concert to not the basically Rollers, but Bob McCallister. He would go around and do like these little, you know, concerts for kids. So he was the justine of the instinct of No. Bob mcalster was the host of Wonderama. He was like an old Oh, he was like the best soul trained guy.
Speaker 5: So Basity Rollers were the Shalomar of One Durama. Yes, Salamar manufactured from Soul trained.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't.
Speaker 8: They weren't manufactured for by One Durama, but yeah, they were kind of the okay, yeah, all right, kind of the symbol almost at that.
Speaker 5: Time network did One Dama come on, I know the logo, but I just think it's slider wheels.
Speaker 8: No, that's the abs. It's not PBS. I don't know.
Speaker 1: You only remember kids are people too, but I don't.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well that's fine. Calis tour the country just singing that song over and over again everywhere. But my first real concert was Billy Joel the Garden eighty four, you know, tour.
Speaker 1: In his prime jone Okay, uptown. You know I picked. I was complaining to you all night.
Speaker 5: I chose the one Billy Joel show in which he decided not to do any hits.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It was his birthday.
Speaker 5: You know, he had the residency at master Square Garden, and so he was like for his birthday, I'm gonna gift you the fans all the B sides and the deep cuts, and literally, I mean everyone's losing their minds because he's like, you know.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh my god, open with the erotic city, like I mean.
Speaker 5: Like he's doing like the deep stuff, and you know, I just sat there like waiting for starting something. Actually that it was the one time he did. We didn't start the fire. And everyone's laughing.
Speaker 1: Because I guess the worst song ever. Yeah, really they don't rock with that song. I had to do a report on that song in like fifth grade, So yeah, why is it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the historical references in it. I's just had to Yeah, we had to find out like what it was and look it up.
Speaker 5: Like if a song gets too big, where like your science teacher knows the song or your pastor your church knows it, then that's when the backlins, like everyone had thrillers.
Speaker 8: So then it's not a song, it's a list of fucking names. But you don't think that it's rather rather shitty? Yes, I do, I really feel get me started.
Speaker 5: No, No, because this is a question that I will get to later, which is basically, how have your music tastes changed from twenty fifteen to now in twenty twenty five, I will say that my instant dismissal of pop music has definitely changed in the last ten years, where I will be the one that meant that, Yeah, I'm quick to dismiss something that I think a common person would like because I think that we choose our music based on likenobbery. Yeah, like they like that, Well I'm better than them, so I'm gonna pick the obscure band. But once I realized that it's hard as hell to write a good pop song, listen. Then yeah, I respect the game. Actually I learned it at and Juliet.
Speaker 1: Good place to learn, Aelia.
Speaker 8: But for you, here's the melody that that that that that's.
Speaker 11: That's easy, it's oh my god, it ain't uptown.
Speaker 5: And then the next song he did was in the Middle of the Night, which right, which is fun fact, my first month working at Rough Records, Joe Niccolo produced it. I think the backstory is and that's I'm sorry, Joe Nicolo. I apologize. If there's one besides Arthur Baker, another luminary that has been always in my dms, like when am I going to get my turn to tell my story?
Speaker 11: Espectly after we had Chris, I know he liked Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he definitely wanted to get on the show.
Speaker 5: Sorry, apologies, but I guess Joe Nicolo would add a lot of break beats under his rock stuff, which kind of ninety one ninety two really wasn't a thing. So him looping the funkadelic good old music drum break in that song kind of you know dog was for hip hop? Yeah, or you know, I guess for those that are wondering in nineteen ninety two, how do I avoid the unsung and then hip hop.
Speaker 1: Came alright, syndrome embrace it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like, oh, what can I do? Okay, I'll put a break beat in anyway. So I got to see at least the first day of him looping met in the drum machine for Billy Joel, I didn't get to see Billy Joel.
Speaker 1: But so, who are your top three guests on the show.
Speaker 8: Oh, I'd have to look at the list to really answer this question.
Speaker 1: I am I'm going to okay.
Speaker 10: One non jazz se do one non jazz person.
Speaker 1: Well, he didn't do any we didn't do it mention any jazz artists.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he hasn't yet.
Speaker 8: I mean for obvious reasons. Costello, you know, that's a classic episode, the one on one or I'm glad you won one with Costello.
Speaker 9: What's so funny because your one on one is one of your classes episodes.
Speaker 8: Well, it was epic and it wasn't harder, and it was like, you know, once in a lifetime for a Costello fan.
Speaker 5: They definitely appreciated you asking the questions that no journalist has ever asked.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was it was.
Speaker 1: That was a classic one.
Speaker 8: And my Nick Low one, my one on one with Nick Low was pretty special as well. It was and the ones we did an electric Lady roy Ers, you know, because he had recorded so many records there and I thought that was super special and Herbalpert I liked all.
Speaker 1: That was a great electrically. Yes, all right, Tigola, Yes, sir, Your first musical.
Speaker 8: Memory, her first musical memory and the first record I bought with my own money.
Speaker 1: Sorry, first memory, I guess I would say this was in my grandmother's house. My mother just always played music, and uh, she had a copy of Thankful by Nalie Cole, which is like wow, yeah, so it's yeah, so yeah, this is the one look my man. So she had that and yeah, that record is just like a direct portal to my childhood. Like I just remember like picking it up and like the texture of it. It feels like a painting. It's not like a regular joint. Even the album cover felt yeah exactly. You feel like textures kind of ridges in it. Yeah, it was like a painting of her. And I just remember that and just seeing the red label on Capitol just spin around around. So my mother would always just play that record. She would also play for some reason, I don't know, why she loved this song so much, but Love Jones by Johnny Guitar Watson. We had a forty five of that real Yeah, okay, so we would be, you know, cleaning up on Saturday mornings and just playing music, and that was you know, that was the kind of stuff we listened to.
Speaker 5: I gotta say I will double down on the Thankful album. If there's ever a fuzzy memory I have of my childhood, it's I think my dad picked me up on a snow day, and back when snow days were special, when the teachers are like, okay, kids, you're going home early today, and it was like, you know, especially if it's like ten thirty, like you get home out a whole day, right when price is writ and cartoons come on or whatever. And yeah, so driving home in a snowstorm listening La Costa is more or less like a tropical sound record, huh. But for me, it's a winter like whatever you think of, like a good Christmas or like the winter thing. That's that's what you associate with it every time I hear that song. If I want to think of my dad in a nice way, it's just us driving home, sharing a stale cheese Danish listening to La Costa on the eight track track, Oh man. And the thing is because I was born in the early seventies and really familiar with eight tracks, occasionally the song would have to feed oh yeah, and then come back and and always on that bridge it would fade out.
Speaker 1: So even to this day, yeah, yeah, that's my favorite Natical album. That's probably my favorite Natal Call song without questioning.
Speaker 5: They gave Natalie Cole a summer special, like a one off variety show with Earth Wind and Fire as her guests, but she does and her collaborator that wrote that, another young lady that wrote that song, like, yeah, if you look at them on YouTube, look at Natalie called La Costa live on her nineteen seventy seven special.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that shit kicks out. Okay, I didn't know she ever did it live. Yeah, that record, I mean, it was never like a single and then I think, but that was just always just a record that just spoke to me and just takes me directly by to childhood. Yeah. So those are probably my earliest musical memories, just my mother playing records, going to my aunt's house and playing records. My aunt she had Mam Belinda. She had a turntable and she just had like all her records in her like her apartment and stuff. And so whenever, you know, you have spade night or whatever, she would let me DJ the parties. And so this is how I That was how I learned records. Usually, that was how I learned music, like just seeing Okay, okay, I see the guy's name on the cover, but the guy in the parentheses, that's who wrote the song and he gets paid even when the guy on the cover. So I want to be that guy. Like that was my I want to be the guy in the parenthesis, you know what I mean. So I was probably like, you know, probably like seven you know, seven eight, you know what I'm saying. But I would just play. I learned like how if you don't know a record, like just kind of my rule of thumb. If it's a record you don't know, your best bet is either the first song on side A or the first song on side B, because that's that's the strong offering. That's that's the best one. So so ill you know Strawberry Letter twenty three right on time, right exactly, you know, you know. So yeah, So that was kind of how I learned just records and playing and learning how to read the crowd. So like I knew if I played something and everybody as long as they're talking, like as long as everybody is talking and having a good time, I'm playing something, then it's cool. If you play something and they may look at it, yeah, they get quiet, they look or whatever, and it's like, all right, you dropped some bullshit. So I like hostile environment exactly like seven eighty. You know, it's all around that time. But I would always just play kind of those records and that was yeah, that was it.
Speaker 5: Now, it's weird that you made that observation at seven because mine was the exact opposite, because of my father always been shopping records.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the process is always he would go to a record store.
Speaker 5: And the guy behind the count's like, all right, you need this that he when he saw my dad, he'd already knew all right, mister Lee, hear your records. And he would just gather all a bunch of forty fives or whatever, get a bunch of records and give it to my dad. The bill comes to three hundred bucks, but you know it's nineteen seventy year three thousand dollars right, So literally I'm carrying I'm carrying the box of forty fives. He's carrying the LPs. We would go to rehearsal, and of course my dad's band would rummage through what they want. Okay, we'll take Ohio players, We'll take no, no, no no. So I would get to own the records, not show left those left behind. And it's usually the flops. Okay, but because I'm six and seven, I don't know anything.
Speaker 1: I know it's a flop.
Speaker 5: So I will say the first ten years of my life was loving nothing but the flops.
Speaker 1: But I can see but that I can see as a DJ, that becomes kind of a superpower because you know you're looking where no one else is. Like, you can still find stuff on them records that like someone else would overlook.
Speaker 5: But to this day it makes me not like I never liked the hit single, which I mean again, I feel like Stevie Wonder is more defined by pastimes. I mean, that doesn't count because Coolio sampled it. But that wasn't a single, right, fun fact, I think I mentioned this before. Do you know that isn't she Lovely was not a single because Radio just I mean DJs thoughts, DJ's were allowed to play whatever they wanted to and you know that sort of thing. So yeah, like for me, it was always the filler and the flop song that tracked me and whatever I had Steve send Joeman as a kid, like if it was love roller Coaster, I didn't like that. But you know, if it was fop fop, that was my ship, right exactly, that was my ship. When was the first concert you ever went to?
Speaker 1: First concert I ever went to? It was the fresh Fest. This would have been nineteen eighty five six something like that. This is Greensboro Coliseum, shit, And this was my uncle Brod. He took me. It was Fat Boys, Run DMC Houdini, and yeah, that was the first time I really saw. I just remember seeing Run DMC and I remember seeing you know one that night. I feel like the Fat Boys might have won. The Fat Boys they went off. I remember that. I actually my uncle actually brought me a fat Boy's sweatshirt that night. Yeah, I mean he did it on the low. I still have it. I don't have it. I wish I would have kept it, man, but nah, I don't have it. He took me out one night. It was him and me, and he had this girl he was seeing and her kids, you know what I mean. And so we all went and so afterwards, like he dropped him off and then we went in the car and he was like, look, I got you this, and he got me a sweatshirt.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: He couldn't afford to buy everyone. He couldn't flex. He couldn't flex. So I was like, I appreciate it. But yeah, that was my first show and I just remember seeing that and that was definitely the line in the sand of like, Okay, Luther and Patty is my mama's music, but this is my music, you know what I'm saying. I guess I maybe this was like I was in first grade, so I might have been yeah, around the same time, like seven six seven something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, like I I know, I want to know what that feels like, the witness hip hop at a young age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know it was nine.
Speaker 5: I still feel like I'm the elder Statesman when Rappers Light came out.
Speaker 1: But for you, you're like, nah, I was I warn't in it? Yeah yeah, yeah, it was yeah, one seventy eight, but you're one one right exactly. Yeah, bro so nah, man, that was my first concert, and that was the first time I saw like I was like, yeah, I want to I didn't know even like wanting to do this, like what that meant. But it was just something in the music that spoke to me, and I was just like, Yeah, this is me, this is this is my side of the street. Gotcha all right? So what's the last album you enjoyed from start to finish? Man?
Speaker 8: Last?
Speaker 1: I mind joy from start to finish. Actually just been I just been back on my vinyl shit. Man, I think the last record I bought, I just think of off the top swing out Sister is Better to Travel. That's why you're doing that on your ig. I just in the crib. I just been in the crib playing records. I'm just like, all right, this is what I'm listening to now, and I just throw it up and it's.
Speaker 5: Harder to skip or whatever. If it's on vinyl, you gotta let it go to it.
Speaker 9: You also got like a whole thing Fante. You was like, because if it's new to me, it's new. That's what he said to me last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah new to me new, Yeah it's not you know. Now. The one thing I will say was good about just the Internet and kind of everything streaming. All that is that it really erased. There's no such thing anymore as new music or old music. It's just stuff you know and stuff you don't. So if it's a that came out in seventy two, or it's a song that came out yesterday, if I'm hearing it for the first time, that's a new song to me, you know what I mean. So that was one of the ones that Swing Got Sister record. I knew breakout right and I knew like Surrender, but I'd never heard the whole album. Can we now say that Twilight World is the best song that shot they never got to re Let's talk about it, yo, man. Yeah that yeah, that record. Yeah, if you see it out anywhere, Like, if you like Twilight World, Swing got. So this is the first album day first up. It's better than Travels. Yeah, their first album. That joint is fire in the end.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I will say, Yeah, if you had a shot a Junes and couldn't wait for an entire four years for her to get the next record rerenning, that's how I let Swing out Sister in my life. Actually, Twilight World's another one, like when I want to think of like high school, tenth grade or whatever, like you know, you calling a joint up or whatever, like this is like your audition in Twilight World.
Speaker 1: Do you not know this song?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, okay, that whole.
Speaker 1: Record is yes. See, I think that's the last. I think that's one of the ones I caught, just in terms of fulling, because mostly I mostly caught twelve inches for the most part, but I do have like Ye had swing Out Sister. That album is crazy. Trying to think of some other ones. God, I just just think of like full length records that I was up on. Yo. There's a record Manolo but Drinking. You probably know this with Steve. I'm sure Manolao but Drina. He's like a percussions guy. Used to be a weather report. He had a record that came out on A and M in eighty I want to say eighty one. It's just called Manolo. That shit is crazy, like the first it's produced by herb album produced it and Noah, yeah, it's just called Manola. It's not on streaming, it's just yeah.
Speaker 11: I was just saying, okay, so it's not Spanish in any type of way.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. I mean it's you know, Latin jazz, you know what. But the first the first side is like crazy, and then the second side he kind of you know what, the Saturday is fucking fire. But uh, that was just another musical discovery I found. I was like, oh, this shit is crazy. All right, who are your top three guests?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 1: Top three guests? Man, I gotta say, oh man, this is god.
Speaker 8: This is tough.
Speaker 1: No matter how I think about, it's tough. Man. I want to say I really enjoyed the Dungeon Family episode, Like you know, we got Rico, you know, God rest his soul.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: Man, that was just because I mean that music was just you know, their music, and I think I got to give them flowers. I'm like, by y'all, music really got me through some shit, you know what I mean. And just you know, coming from the South and seeing Dungeon Family just that collective what they were doing, you know what I mean. And you know that just opened up a whole new world for us. So definitely Dungeon fam. I will say, oh my god, man, yo, llll COOLJ like LLL I was in he was in rare form. I'm done playing Detective Peak.
Speaker 9: That was.
Speaker 1: That was and uh, man, let me see for my last one. Three I will probably go yeah, man, I'll go with uh, I go with the Porner sisters. I go with the sisters. I never that was my first time seeing them, and crazy enough, like I had actually heard for the like for the first time. I bought that record, the one the Porters of the Self type their debut, because I never heard the whole I mean, I knew can Can, but I never heard the whole album. And stylistically the album is kind of all over the place, but vocally they are singing the fun oh my God.
Speaker 5: Their versual album, their version of River Yeah verse Man covered Lambert Hendrickson.
Speaker 4: Yah.
Speaker 1: That ship is a vocal master class. So I was really thankful that we got a chance to meet them a Bondie porn and roof corner and uh and just give them their flowers. That was an amazing episode. Yep, it was.
Speaker 5: What is like our underrated episodes Faith, I will say that's a disappointing episode if we will collectively say that maybe Faith's episode lacked, and I'm almost certain it's because she knew too much.
Speaker 8: We also five hour episodes back then.
Speaker 1: That was too right. That was a lot to ask. So what did you order for lunch at?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 11: But her and the old girl that directed Detroit.
Speaker 1: I was like, that was kind of Catherine. Yeah, underrated man, I thought uh Leroy Burgess episode. I was really glad we got him. That was kind of underrated for me. He was like just really just an unsung architect of you know, black music in you know, in the late seventies post disco period. And yeah, that was Yeah, he was That was one of my top I thought we were underrated on.
Speaker 9: I'm a shout out George Faison just because it might not be appreciated in this moment, but that's going to be a part of a historical story. There's not a lot of black dance oral history.
Speaker 5: I gotta say his part of what is now will eventually be the Earth Wind and Fire documentary. He was very clear and concise and and he's a major part of that story. Like and seeing Jesus Christ, like his all the footage on him and his prime Yeah, him given instructions and all that stuff. Like there's a lot of dance rehearsals and the way that instructs.
Speaker 1: So that's awesome. Yeah, I have all like an absolute respect for for for for his work.
Speaker 8: I love q Tip.
Speaker 7: He was so into me music as much as we were.
Speaker 1: I thought that was so he got us hyped.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and he was like it was like we were at his bar mitzvah.
Speaker 5: And finally and finally the internet got to see what the what the crook Clinton sample was so and it was on It wasn't.
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, yes it was on the can't just say those recordings that we did at what was we were we at Central?
Speaker 1: No anything?
Speaker 10: I'm about to say, l A, we were at.
Speaker 1: Those Garrett say Garrett Shaka, Yeah we weren't. She wasn't at that studio, but Russian that was a different.
Speaker 11: That was different I was talking about, is right, Dion.
Speaker 7: Colet U, Danton.
Speaker 1: Shout out to uh old boy just saved it down. They purchased. I will also say that for me, we.
Speaker 11: Got to ask all those questions but to well, I'm not gonna.
Speaker 5: Saying every Okay, so you know my first musical memory is well, we all found out that I had a fear of music modulations because I've gotten a second degree burn on my leg running in the house and slipped on the radiator. Wow, right when Curtis Mayfield changes the key and Freddy's dead to the higher key, right souls, which probably also a subconscious Sorry.
Speaker 1: It's all right. I didn't know you had a fear about yo.
Speaker 5: If you have a modulations, yeah, I have just a song for you, with the exception of Golden Lady, Are you up human Nature?
Speaker 9: You up?
Speaker 1: On ish? Don't stop? It's don't stop. It's a t K. It's on TK disco. It's a disco record. No, don't stop. That song modulates like eighty times at the end. It's like a long disco joint and it just keeps going up. It's is hilarious, it's not. It's not so people modulate for like of uh, like sweeping.
Speaker 7: What's the Michael Jackson man, I mean like that one on every four every eight minutes.
Speaker 9: What's on.
Speaker 7: Marry Me?
Speaker 1: Like will be there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, but that song is so lyon King Doubt it doesn't feel scary to me.
Speaker 5: So here's the like sensory overload modulations. The thing is is that now this came out when I was well one. This burning accident happened when I was three, So this sort of ties into him being on soul train. And this probably also explains my soul training obsession because all I remember was seeing him perform. Like again, I'm on my back. They're trying to whatever butter my leg or something.
Speaker 1: How did you burn yourself? Like what was believe? Did I know? And you shouldn't be that. Yeah, we used to do that to help you. So I guess it was a black No, that was yeah, we you but if I burned the hand he put butter on you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, according to my sister, Uh, I just got off the bathtub drying me off, and I was running and we were staying in Compton because my parents were recording. We leave the congress ally record. So my grandmother lived in Compton, and I ran past the front door of my grandmother's house and I guess there's a slippery kind of rug. She didn't have a vest of you, so kind of like a slippery rug thing. I slipped on the rug and I guess I.
Speaker 1: Landed and my tire right leg.
Speaker 5: Just hit the radiator and the radiator was on at least a trillion light and blood was out and everything.
Speaker 1: And I'm screaming.
Speaker 5: They're putting oil all over my leg and all I can hear just like CTSD shit totals.
Speaker 1: But literally when this part happens, Okay, can it creepy out like that?
Speaker 4: Is like the.
Speaker 6: Sound like the subway scene in the ring is like, yeah, don't don't do that.
Speaker 1: See see when you hear that is a yeah memory, it's a trigger, right, it's a trigger memory. So yeah, literally that's kind of why. Another another one is.
Speaker 11: We can't be asking a mirror all these questions. You know that right wing finish well.
Speaker 1: You already know it's the two episodes.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, at least wait, uh, that's a different one.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 5: This is where I finally worked with Bill Summons, and he basically got small bottles and just basically wow.
Speaker 1: So that's how he would He would do that, all right, in this particular case, probably.
Speaker 7: When we filmed a commercial.
Speaker 5: Michelle, Okay, So first of all, Aretha Franklin's I'm in low, we're still on.
Speaker 11: His first question.
Speaker 5: Starts very spooky to me, So we're gonna go right into the middle. So even though this is modulated to another key, the way that rf Marden would.
Speaker 1: Add extra reverb on her voice, this too would scare the ship of me.
Speaker 7: Right here.
Speaker 1: So I feel like she's been pushed off a mountains where.
Speaker 9: Spare Remember when we could use music back in the Pandora days, like we could actually do it.
Speaker 5: I don't understand how I heard is the most powerful radio conglomerate in the world use music?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 8: It's about your whole that's the most famous.
Speaker 1: Oh dude. Yeah, also a great episode.
Speaker 7: You ever want to scare this guy? Remember when hold we just had like one lamp in the background.
Speaker 8: No, no, I'm talking about I'm not talking about interviewing, talking about the song that we broke the we did.
Speaker 1: We break up?
Speaker 5: Probably the song that scared the Jesus album the most. This is the number one modulation.
Speaker 7: What was the question?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 8: The number one modulation scarce the number number one question.
Speaker 1: There's one the monsters. There is when the monsters on the bed and then alight on then war and then moment like literally and then and he two is also falling off the mountain side. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you take anything from this ten year experience, your brain works differently. There you go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I will say that my first musical memory is, without a doubt, songs that scared me.
Speaker 1: Tied with record covers that scared me so or why can't we be friends?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh same on the world by the main ingredient.
Speaker 5: And yes, even I still maintain that Stevie Wonder is drowning in donuts and your songs in.
Speaker 1: The Key of Life. It looks like the thing of them cookies. Wait, okay, now I'm seeing the key thing of those like Danish cookies, the ones that used to be in the Blue Teams, thing of the cover of what's a short brand.
Speaker 5: You're Stevie Wonder in nineteen seventy six, and I'm the art director of Motown. No, I'm the art director of Motown.
Speaker 7: You're Stevie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I'm Stevie Wonder. You're the art director of Motown. Okay, I can described to me the cover of songs in kid Life. All right, Stevie, we're gonna have you in the in the center, but it's gonna be like a brown cover. Well use that brown. It's so it's like an earth tonge color. Uh uh nah, No, songs here Life was like a brownish kind of thing. The all of them was well that was okay, yeah, alright, alright, so Stevie, all right, So you're gonna be in the middle and it's gonna have like these ridges around you that Okay, I'm gonna feel this cookie. You feel the ridges on the you know what I mean, Like it's gonna be that I cat Stevie touched the cookie. Yeah, that's about the best I could do for Stevie.
Speaker 9: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: It's man dark like nah?
Speaker 7: What was his response?
Speaker 5: I literally, yeah, I would routinely take the records I didn't like and hide them in the basement and subsequently get in trouble when my dad can't find where's my war record? And then I gotta go in the basement and like I would bury that ship under like so we're big faces.
Speaker 1: Was that a scary thing like Lewis Solongo? Yes, that was meaning on that but yes, that that would have been Herbie Handcock.
Speaker 11: Davis had ones too.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 5: Marty Clairwick who did the Bitches Brew cover in the Herbie Handcoff His scariest one is Buddy Miles's record where Buddy Miles is turned into a mountain, like he looks like jab of the Hut the Job of the Hut, and it's that too, also was in the Scary pile. So yeah, that's that's my childhood. And what was the first record you bought?
Speaker 1: With you on bridge? All right? So the on just like a one more answer, all right?
Speaker 7: Right, No, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: There's the thing. Here's someone purchased a record for me.
Speaker 5: Now, when I do interviews, of course I will just do the safe answer, which is, yeah, you know I got a Jackson five record, right.
Speaker 1: But the truth is that my first forty five ever.
Speaker 5: Was Neil Sidaka's Bad Blood because I judge Records. My favorite logo was Elton John's label, the Rocket MCA Rocket Company. It's like green and it's like a happy train on it or whatever. Maybe I like trained soul train. I don't know, but I like the way the logo looked. So I purchased Neil Sidaka and Elton John Bad Blood also Rufus's Dance with Me on forty five because ABC Records had a dope logo. I did not like Capitol Records logo, which is why I never gave it an adult had to put it on if it was on Capital Tavars.
Speaker 1: I have the whole the Beach Boys, the Beatles, whatever I did, I didn't like it.
Speaker 5: That's why I didn't That's why I recognized half the samples on Tribe Records because I didn't listen to canniball Adelie because he had a boring logo.
Speaker 1: I didn't like any Capitol Records.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm looking at some old footage. Can I change my answers to our favorite show? Because like, dang, we had Bizz.
Speaker 10: Sleeper Summer and Stephen Hill.
Speaker 5: The Stephen Hill episode That's that night, Oh God that which also that this episode is also being done man and the worst timeline.
Speaker 7: Wait final question once the last album you listened all the way through?
Speaker 1: So I mean the thing is is that No, I will say that Salt is a group that I won't turn off.
Speaker 5: Is always on constant rotation because it's a very comforting sounding. But really like actively listening, I would probably say, like maybe Doughnuts, you know what, I take that back. I actually liked the album after Seated at the Table when I Get Home when I think it was when I Get Home Solange's album After. Yeah, like I would actively listen to that and like it. I will say for our episodes though, probably the two episodes that made me cry is speaking of Knowles Matthew Knowles's episode that was a tear jerker for me, and the Ben Veren episode, Come on you the Ben the Ben Veren episode that to me, I didn't know that he had that much history.
Speaker 9: And shout out to one of our listeners who wrote in a review that I didn't know if there was an issue with Roots and Alex Haley and plagiarism.
Speaker 11: I was like, oh yeah, okay, I forgot I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was the thing. Oh yeah, like coming to America asque sort of like he paid the money. Yeah, yeah, yeah he had to. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, did not know that.
Speaker 5: For those that don't know the history of the show, A big part of the inspiration of the show was my fandom of the Gordon Gartreil podcast or Gordon Gartrail Radio, which I guess at the time was the word podcast even a thing it was.
Speaker 1: But I didn't really know what it was. I mean, we you know, it wasn't what it is now. But yeah, this was back in man, this had to be two thousand and eight nine something like that, so about a year after the iPhone is invented. Yeah yeah, in terms of so yeah, brainchild man out DJ Branchild that was like, you know, me and him go back to the boards. He was one of the first people to bootleg Little Brother, you know what I'm saying, and kind of spread it around, and so he dj the release party for my for We when me and Nick put out Authenticity, like like me and Bill like we you know, we've been in each other's cribs, like that's my dude, And so I just hit him one day and he's one of my favorite DJs. Me and him would just be on the internet like all night on AIM, like sending each other shit. And so one day I hit him, I say, yo, man, you want to do a podcast? And he was just like yeah, okay. And we didn't know what we were doing. I just knew, you know, how'd y'all record it? And you're in sheeparate states. So the way we did it was back then. Bill would put the records together like I'm like, look, man, you select the music. I'll just do my segments just talking shit for you know, fifteen minutes whatever, and then we'll just go back and forth and then at the end, I'll pick a song, you know, and he's like, all right, cool. So he would do his mixes at the crib and then I would do my recording my vocal parts at my crib and I just email it to him and so then he would put the show together and then we just put it up and uh. It was the thing that we just started doing because this is never at the same time. Nah. It was a straightforward the same.
Speaker 7: Wow, Okay, if I can instant message to you, why would I would I show up and.
Speaker 1: Know each other? You know, who are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Man?
Speaker 1: So that was how we started. And it was just something that I would just do, you know, we just do for fun. It was just a way to share music that we listened to and you know kind of give you know, talk pop culture, talk, you know, politics or whatever, just you know, kind of talk ship. But that was how we started. And you know, we didn't know. It wasn't until like I started going out and doing shows and stuff and people would be like, yo, so when is going and Gaunt Trail coming back. I was like, yeah, y'all listening to that ship. They're like, yeah, that ship helps me get through my workday. So we did that maybe a couple of years, maybe like you know, two three years something like that. If I'm mistaken.
Speaker 5: If I'm not mistaken, the episode is like on the archives or at least on YouTube or.
Speaker 1: Nah, it's pre all of that them episodes is ship man. I think I think Bill may got him still, but yeah.
Speaker 11: The holder of episode is he got him.
Speaker 1: But I mean, but yeah, but like yeah, so we we did that. But that was kind of how it started. And so after a couple of years, I think, you know, Bill, I think he just, you know, he just didn't want to do that. He was kind of his relationship with DJing was changing at that time. And so a couple of years later, you know what I mean. So goes the story. I get a call from shan Ji. He was like, he's like, yo, man, so Emir is doing this radio show, and he said, you know, I want you to be the Robin to his Batman, he said, but on the low, I kind of want you to be the Batman.
Speaker 7: Let's just.
Speaker 2: I said.
Speaker 1: I said, okay, man, whatever, you know what I mean, and had no idea what it was going to be. I was on a plane within a couple of weeks, and the week that I got this show, this was the same week that I was working on the Breaks with Dan Charnas and DJ Premiere. I was doing music for that. Shout out to the breaks, yeah, man, shouts the Dan and Premiere that whole family there was also with me and my wife. We were in the process of getting ready to buy our house, so we were in the middle of that. And that was also, like I mentioned earlier, my dad and my granddad died in the same week. So it was like all of this was happening. And then Shanji calls and so I'm like, okay, yeah, cool. So I had no idea what it was going to be, you know, getting on planes, flying back and forth from here to North Carolina every you know other you know, a couple of weeks or whatever, and that was the start of it. Man, and Bill was as it was. Shanji told me, he said, y'all were trying to find a host of cause for the show. And Bill was like, well, what about Fante and shan Gee? What for me is that you? Was like, oh, Man, me and Fan a gonna be arguing all the time, and sean Ge was like, that's exactly why we like, that's why we need to get it, you know. And so that was how I ended up here. So I just kind of jumped head first inn and was like, all right, fuck it, I don't know what this is gonna be, but let's just make it dope. And so I just always tried to make you know, the theme songs or whatever. I was always wanted to make sure that you know, our ship was always fresh and that we always you know, it was kind of at the forefront and just you know, it was a fun show to listen to. So that was my start.
Speaker 5: So I don't think that our listeners know the the double role that you play on the show. Uh, in addition to being co host of it, but you're also part of the organizing team and you specifically have to like reach out to the wishless artists and whatnot.
Speaker 11: They call those producers.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're you're a producer of the Showya.
Speaker 11: Thank you? Oh my god. I never say that sentence before any who.
Speaker 5: Tell me what's under the hood, like how the sausages made experiences? Like what were our close Pano cigar guests? Are you allowed to say which artist was the hardest to organize to hardest?
Speaker 9: I mean, it's funny, I would ask, I wondered, Britney, do you think Mariah is that Mariah hardest.
Speaker 11: Would you say that Britney?
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, So Mariah had tech issues on camera, but.
Speaker 10: I will say the artist that we got so close to was on camera. No, she was in the dark.
Speaker 11: She was on camera, remember she was on zoom.
Speaker 1: But were in her bedroom or something?
Speaker 11: Yes, and I spend yes.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 9: But the one that we got so close to that me and Fante definitely flew to New York to record that never happened was Mary J.
Speaker 11: Blige.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 10: We did have marriage, had Mary J.
Speaker 11: Blige.
Speaker 9: And then on the couple of hours before we were to arrive at the studio, they changed their mind or something happened. What had happened was the greatest chase that we have still been doing is probably Queen Latifah, although I booked her because I don't remember, but I booked on your your series on A and E got her booked for that, but couldn't get her to come around the Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 1: That's all right.
Speaker 9: Oh, and then the biggest blunder, and I'm going to say my biggest blunder ever on this show. Oh my god, y'all, I apologize.
Speaker 1: What episode?
Speaker 11: There was an episode and it was a Patti LaBelle episode.
Speaker 9: Oh we have all that there was a zoom issue and I thought we was morning and show and we only got like fifteen minutes.
Speaker 11: When I tell y'all, it was so good, it was such a good episode.
Speaker 8: It was so good. Damn it was so good.
Speaker 1: Who was there? A nightmare organizing person? An assistant h what had happened?
Speaker 9: Was? Well, I mean, well we had I mean, I don't want to say nightmare on their side, but you know, I think that I can't remember the Will Smith debacle.
Speaker 11: That wasn't his fault, right, that was and that was.
Speaker 1: Before y'all woke me up in the morning.
Speaker 11: You got a new person you off of.
Speaker 1: That facetimed right?
Speaker 9: That was.
Speaker 1: How a lot of life has happened on this show.
Speaker 7: Y oh, let's talk about man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all I remember was I was asleep in my slumber and then Will Smith facetimed me. I was like, why is he facetiming me? Then I rushed to put my you know, my clothes on or whatever, and like it was, and then I saw that I missed.
Speaker 9: The Also one of our best, one of our best conversations, because that was postbook before everything else.
Speaker 11: Happened, Yes, and we really like got into it.
Speaker 1: That was good. That was a great episode.
Speaker 11: But I can't remember somebody who was like really hard, difficult, you know.
Speaker 1: Just us, just you and your schedule. Yeah, all right, I will say Steve.
Speaker 5: So for me, I think and you mentioned it, you know the fact that your early childhood was full of memories doing like you know, fake radio shows or whatever when you're a kid, and I've heard some of these things, which was really like, yo, man, when we do do like a fake radio show, That to me was like the beginning impetus of you said like why don't you do a podcast or something like that?
Speaker 1: So for you, who's the most overwhelming guest?
Speaker 5: Like your love for Elvis Costello is well known these circles, but I almost feel now that you're genuinely friends with him, so you know, it's I don't think it's a thing where it's like before you see him, you're like, holy shit, I'm talking to Elvis Costella Like you guys are actually legit friends now, correct, I mean after producing this record and all that stuff.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'd say so okay.
Speaker 5: But for you, like, is there a bucketless guess that you wish we could have gotten yeah, Billy Joel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 11: Lewis Lewis.
Speaker 1: We got Hue Lewis.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 5: So but as far as like your bucket list interviews, like, have you fulfilled the majority of them at least?
Speaker 8: Oh, certainly a lot more than I ever thought I would be a part of.
Speaker 1: Also, you have an offspring of the show, like you started the Sugar Network.
Speaker 8: Sugar Network shout out to the Sugar Network. Yeah, well it was sort of just.
Speaker 5: You know, you explain how this started, because well I got the you were like pre d nice with using Instagram live stories as a radio show.
Speaker 1: You would play complete records and not get caught off or any of those things.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, so it was it was really a whole bunch of QLs fans that were watching our lives. At first we were doing them from thirty Rock while we were mixing whatever, we'd start doing live stories. And then once the once the live stories start to include the ability to bring a guest on, it was kind of the rest of it kind of wrote itself. It was like, we all have our own fucking TV shows now if we want, you know, our own talk shows. So I just turned mine into you know, a semi real one and it went on for kind of marriage the timeline of this podcast. But it's sort of fizzled out after season six or seven.
Speaker 1: So what constitutes a season? How many episodes in the season.
Speaker 8: It wasn't like that, but thousands and thousands.
Speaker 5: No, the Sugar Network was always on. I always see you keep did you keep the archives? Like after you record, would you save them all?
Speaker 8: Well, they get saved anyway, I think in your in your archive, whether you whether you delete them or not. But it was kind of the you know, just on a side project to this where it was where we would interview the not famous people, the people of the fans, you know, the people that were just watching this show or whatever I was.
Speaker 5: Doing on the Sugar Network that you know in addition to that site. Fans are collective, Yeah, fan bases and whatnot.
Speaker 10: We all got to appear on the Sugar.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: It was It was fun. But you know, it seems like Instagram Live Stories seems like it's kind of fizzled out, Like not a lot of people doing lives anymore.
Speaker 1: It seems like, well it's hard to also play music.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: I didn't even realize that now there's technology on Zoo that doesn't even allow me to like play a song for someone when I'm on a zoom.
Speaker 11: Say what now, Like the.
Speaker 5: Song goes like this, and you play it and when you share a screen, well no, if you want to play music on your zoom just from the background, yeah wow music, yeah, is forbidden. They even want to stop it that way, Like in terms of broadcasting. We'll close this episode was just asking you. What I was trying to lead to was I would like to believe that the Sugar Network also led to another dream of yours, which is starting a label. And it started out as a vanity label, but now you have a legit jazz label.
Speaker 8: Like Yeah, the timeline of the label JMI very much mirrors the same timeline as this basically started around the same time and the Sugar Networks started slightly after that, I think. But well, yeah, it's been eight or nine years. We've got twenty five records released, a good amount when you're all analog and things take a while and cost a lot. So very proud of that and definitely inspired by it all, y'all.
Speaker 1: And the records sound awesome. They sound awesome. That's the goal.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 5: All right, so y'all, yes, we're going to do a part two her haye to you know, ended so abruptly.
Speaker 11: We got to do a tease. All right, coming up, we're doing it too, all.
Speaker 8: Right, do they come up bathroom break.
Speaker 1: We're gonna answer fan questions in part two?
Speaker 11: Yes, okay, looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: Yes, wait, that was the big lead up. I'm sure.
Speaker 5: All right anyway, or and be half of fun Tickelo and on paid Bill and Laya and Sugar Steve. This is Questo and uh we will see you for the official part two of the final quest Love Supreme episode.
Speaker 10: Well, we'll all get naked. Yes, yeah, I mean give something to look forward to.
Speaker 1: They want to see you. Questlove Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.