Speaker 1: Swine Down with Janet Kramer and I'm Heart Radio podcast.
Speaker 2: He never gets told.
Speaker 3: Mark is spicy today?
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 3: He's spicy. That's the best word I can say for him right now. He's just spicy.
Speaker 2: It's ready to battle.
Speaker 3: You are? What's up with you?
Speaker 1: It's been a long week and it's only Tuesday morning.
Speaker 3: I mean, what do you doing? That stings it? Okay, technically, you know, Monday not bad?
Speaker 1: Four thirty, normal, normal day.
Speaker 3: Mark. Mark is the producer of the Ryan Sea Crush Show, and he has the pleasure of doing our show, the privilege.
Speaker 1: It is a pleasure. It's a delight to each week.
Speaker 3: Well, I just I like it when you're spicy.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Just I don't know. You just have a little too too you and I like it. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, we were talking about that on the way here. I said, if I ever have an assistant, I just the thing for me is I'm I'm always like five steps ahead. Yeah, so it's hard for someone to be six steps.
Speaker 2: You naturally kind of expect people to.
Speaker 3: Read your mind. I get my timelines. My timeline is just different than most people. So I like to just I want to do it. I want done now, which is what we get on each other for sometimes Again, if you sat down, like, for example, we're just going through our house stuff right now with the builds. Oh, by the way, that cough, I'm gonna talk about that in a second. Right, No, no, no, we're on this one. So we're going through the house thing and we have to change something with our builder. So I was like, are you going to call Justin? He's like, y'all call him. Two seconds later, I'll call Justin. I'll call him. He's like, no, I'll call him. I was like, why isn't your phone in your hand, because again, it.
Speaker 2: Can give me two minutes just finished processing my thoughts or what we were looking at. You're like, oh, well I can call him, like easy, Tiger, Like, I got it.
Speaker 3: I'll just call him.
Speaker 2: It's really good, ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I know my timeline is just now and then that cough. Literally at three o'clock in the morning, it's like he wanted to wake me up. Because at three o'clock in the morning, I see his face in my face and he goes and I'm like, oh, good morning, hello, I guess I'm up. I guess I'm up. Now I don't know what it is. Did you just want me to wake up?
Speaker 2: No, I thought I was dying. Yeah, I can breathe.
Speaker 3: He's had this thing. Actually I'm kind of concerned. Go ahead, but what you can't breathe in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: Well, it happened like once where I got up in the middle of the night and I was having chest pains and I could not catch I couldn't catch my breath. I couldn't and I was like up by the door, like hit him in the wall because I was like, and Jane's like, are you okay? And I wanted to say, like shut up, like I'm dying, but I couldn't. So it was really weird. It was actually really scary. And yeah, last night I kind of had the feeling of similar where I'll take a deep inhale when I get to the top of my breath, i'd kind of start to feel that again. I'm like, what the hell is going on with me?
Speaker 3: It sounds like anxiety is what I told you this one.
Speaker 2: This is like a physical thing.
Speaker 3: This doesn't seem like an anxiety is physical. It's not just in your head, even though you think it's always just in my head. This isn't just in your head.
Speaker 1: I mean, it could be anxiety, it could be physical, could be both. I had a roommate who was actually still a good friend and godfather of one of my kids. He had an issue when he would wake up in the middle of the night and whatever position he was in that would cause this and his throat would close. Oh, and so you would wake up to him literally running around the house going It was almull and scary, but he'd be running your own making that noise. And the first time it happened, we didn't know what was going on, and then we kind of got used to it, unfortunately, but it's a scary thing, like what would you do? He would have to run around, run around the house, so I don't think that's necessary. He would call and eventually he would the panic would subside and it would he would calm down, and then it would start to get better.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, terrifying.
Speaker 1: It was terrifying.
Speaker 3: Die, Well, you need to figure that out. But I think in that moment, whenever I've had anxiety, if whether it's anxiety or not, but breathing to open up your lungs, you put your arms up so for your daughter too. For some reason, you're having anxiety or anything like that, you put.
Speaker 2: Your hands up.
Speaker 3: He put your hands up and your lungs open up. Apparently that's what someone told all right, well I probably read in Cosmo.
Speaker 2: I'll try it. But yeah, I mean so we've been up. Really we got Easton and Mark beat because we've been up since like three.
Speaker 3: That's true. Yea, guys. The cough because the cough, the cough, And I said thank you because I have not been able to go to bed because then I was up, and then Jay started crying, and then I was I had the middle of the night feed. So yeah, go team Go, go team girl. So fun, So it's up.
Speaker 2: I had an interest saying, so I saved this. You know you always talk about save it for the podcast.
Speaker 3: So are we going to get in a fight. I really don't want to fight. I'm in a great mood. I really like you right now Valentine's Day, Like it's all good, all.
Speaker 2: Right, we'll scratch that for next week. No, no, no, no, it's it's not it's not a fight.
Speaker 3: It's oh no, it's something about it.
Speaker 2: It's it's introspectives. What's what that's what we talk about, give the people what they want to hear. So when we were up in Monterey right at the golf tournament this past weekend, we got home from the tournament and we were kind of winding down. Pun intended, you're welcome.
Speaker 3: Wait back home to the hotel or like home to the.
Speaker 2: House at the hotel. Okay, okay, and you in the bathroom start a bath.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay.
Speaker 2: As soon as you did that, I immediately started to get anxiety, really because.
Speaker 3: It's so funny, because I have something to say around this.
Speaker 2: I just assumed that I anticipated you saying, hey, like, I'm drawing a bath, do you want to come in? And my initial thought was like no, like no, like I'm gonna have to say no to her. That was my thought is I'm gonna have to say no to you, and then you're gonna, you know, get upset and be like you don't want to be intimate and blah blah blah. But by allowing you just to do that and me stay in the other room and I got to go to the bathroom while you were in there, you have to.
Speaker 3: Take a boop. We're a relaxing bubble bath.
Speaker 2: You gotta do no, that time I didn't. I still had to, but that time I did. So I go into the bathroom and I was like nervous to go in the bathroom because I'm like, she's gonna see me, she's gonna be like, hey, come in the bath with me. So I get in and get out safe, like I made it out safe and alive without without you asking. So I was like, okay, anxiety gone. But then sitting in bed, I was like, you know what, I kind of want to go in there. But it was because but it's weird. It's but that's how I felt. It was because you did not ask me. I didn't feel the pressure ultimately to not do it, like I just ended up doing it because I wanted to. But it's like it's something with me. When it's someone else's idea or someone else's you know, motivate, it's I'm uncomfortable with it for whatever reason. And that could even be sometimes when you asked me if I want to work out because it was your idea, I'm like, actually, I'm okay right now, But if I had the idea before that, then I wouldn't go work out, Like I'm completely motivated.
Speaker 3: Where does that come from.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it's just something I've I've noticed more in different kinds of situations, whether again it's something intimate like the bath or something as stupid as working out.
Speaker 3: That's so interesting. I mean even that probably correlates to with them, we're in bed and you felt like we had to have sex, and then that's when you leave your head because it was always the routine.
Speaker 2: In the past two months, we've had more sex, yeah, and than we have in the last year.
Speaker 3: Give us a sound real, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like, if it wasn't my idea, then it doesn't feel like I don't know, it's just weird. It's just something that came up for me.
Speaker 3: I'm super curious to see what your therapist and where that comes from.
Speaker 2: I know, I mean, you know me, I've always had an issue.
Speaker 3: With well you don't like yeah, you don't like that, But this is different. This is may being like, hey, spend some time with me.
Speaker 2: I know, but it's like, because it wasn't my idea, I get uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, do you want to know something funny around the bathtub thing? Though? This is so funny that you brought this up. I was actually annoyed that you came in the bathtub. Oh I was, because it almost like this is my time. Oh that's it's so funny. That's why I started laughing when you brought this up, because I'm like, man, you know, I know I was. I was initially because that's why I didn't ask you, because I didn't want you to come in. I genuinely wanted to just relax on my own. We just spent and you know, the entire day walking around a golf course, you know, for you, and I just wanted to have my moment to just be in the bath and relax. The lavender, you know, bath salts and.
Speaker 2: That is hilarious.
Speaker 3: And you know what's so funny is I almost said some into you, like babe, don't feel pressured to come in the bath that because I actually wanted to be in the bath by myself. So that's how I didn't ask. And then when you came in, I almost said something like no, no, you're you're good, like you don't have to come in. But then I was like, well, he's he's trying because he probably feels like he has to so and then ended up being a great bath.
Speaker 1: Girl.
Speaker 3: But initially I was annoyed when you got in. That's so funny, it is, isn't it. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: And what's interesting is say I say I didn't come in right, and I would have I would have I would have thought the rest of the night. I would have been like, you know what, she wanted me in the bath and I didn't go in. So even if you wanted to be intimate later that night, I probably would have been a little bit more uncomfortable because knowing in the back of my head that I probably disappointed you that I didn't come in the bath, and now you're trying to be intimate now, and I just play those games in my head. It's just it's weird.
Speaker 1: But if she had said to you before you got it, if she had said, by the I'm gonna take a bath, but don't feel like you need to come out. I really just want to spend him alone time, would that have been fun. It would have been like, it.
Speaker 2: Would have been totally fine, but I would have had the same feeling I ultimately had, where it's like, well, I kind of want to get in the bath because she told because I was off the hook, right and there's no pressure at all. It would have been one hundred percent my idea because I want to come into the bath.
Speaker 3: I probably would have so funny.
Speaker 2: I probably would have wanted to, but I would I wouldn't have, but I would have been like, you know, I want to come in.
Speaker 3: But this is so funny. I love this.
Speaker 1: It's the beauty of this podcast. Yeah yeah, it's what were you thinking all this week in our married interactions?
Speaker 3: Yeah right, and this is what.
Speaker 2: And the one time you don't want me to be intimate or.
Speaker 3: Join you, I just wanted to relax.
Speaker 2: We didn't do to that.
Speaker 3: Oh that's funny. Well I can't wait to will you? Will you keep our podcast listeners up to date on that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they're going to be dying to find out. Yeah, yeah, I mean I will. I'll check in with Aron about it and get back to you.
Speaker 3: Love it, okay. So Joybird believes that you should never settle when it comes to your home furnishings, and that you should always have the freedom to be boldly original. So what I love about Joybird is that each piece is made by hand with care and precision, using high quality hardwood and responsibly sourced materials to fit your exact specifications and there's a lifetime limiting warranty included. So the best part for me though, is that there is a three hundred and sixty five day home trial, which is insane. So skip the furniture store and bring the showroom home. You actually get to sit on it, sleep on it, break it in, and if you don't love your Joybird, return for a free refund. And it's hassle free in home deliveries, so they'll leave and move all the package materials. You won't have any boxes around your house, and you get free returns within two weeks of delivery. So we're starting to order furniture for our new house in Nashville, and I actually just ordered the Merrit couch and Taylor Felt gray with the Mocha wood legs from Toybird, and they had the endless color options and you can choose the color of staying you want on your furniture legs, which I think is fantastic. So we can shop for any piece of furniture for any room in our house. They have everything. See how joybird is revolutionizing online furniture shopping. Create the furniture that brings you joy today at Joybird dot com slash Channa. Go to joybird dot com slash Jana and receive an exclusive offer for twenty five percent off your first order by using the code Jana. Okay, so everyone has been asking dming commenting, Where's Jen, Where's Jen? What's going on with Jen? Jen?
Speaker 5: I'm here, I'm here, I'm out of my office.
Speaker 3: Out of the office. So Jen is the producer of the Ryan Seacrush Show. Well, well, whoops, Mark.
Speaker 5: Is the executive producer. I was on here with Ryan seacrast. Yes, I sort of oversee the National Show and American Top forty and then the branding that comes in for the shows, which can be really demanding at the end of the year and the beginning of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So Jen is she's a busy lady, so that's why she's been absent for a little while. But we love her. And she's a wine downer, so she's you know, whenever.
Speaker 5: Yes, whenever.
Speaker 3: How is Rocco?
Speaker 5: He's great. Yeah, he's so much fun. He is really getting into sports right now. We went to Hawaii and the first day we were there, we were at the beach and I through the football for two and a half hours and at one point, I thought to myself, I'm not going to be able to move my arm tomorrow. And I woke up the next morning I couldn't move my right arm. So of course he wakes up and he says, let's go play football. And I was like, I can't move my arm. He goes, just use the other one. So I'm out there and I'm trying to throw with my left arm, which I can't even really throw football anyways, let's be honest, and he's like that's not good enough. And I was like, whoa, do you know what. I'm gonna go wake your uncle up. He can throw the football with you.
Speaker 3: So was the man there. No, no, he grays anymore.
Speaker 5: No, we're together.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: But he goes to the East coast to visit his parents. And this was a trip with my sister who doesn't have children and.
Speaker 3: Oh that's sister, like your sister sister. How you guys aren't like.
Speaker 5: Into her husband? And then Rocco and me and it was an incredible trip. We went to Maui. We have this like fancy because I call him the fancy cousin, and he has a house there, so he he was like, just I'll use it it's not being and we went. It was incredible and it was fabulous and I played a lot.
Speaker 2: Of football a lot holidays.
Speaker 5: That was over the holidays. Then we got back Christmas night, like at eleven o'clock at night, and I opened the gate and there was water everywhere, and I was like, wow, it must have rained here today. And then all of a sudden I looked at the garage and I was like, wait, the water was coming out of the garage. And then I went upstairs in the hole. All the walls were all bubbles.
Speaker 3: It was like Home Alone. It was yes, remember yes, Home Alone too New York. Yeah, The Old Man, No, which almost that wasn't it was the first one? Was it the first?
Speaker 5: I don't know, I've watched all three of those.
Speaker 3: The House, The House, Yeah, but.
Speaker 5: It Yeah, it was pretty much. That was it. So then that was a three week affair and I was in an airbnb.
Speaker 3: Jeez, even like going through it.
Speaker 5: Crazy goodness, crazy, But I just roll with it, you know.
Speaker 3: And you're happy with the guy. Everything's good, he's great. Love.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So between all that, I don't know how you haven't had time to come on the Show's.
Speaker 3: Cool, Yeah, busy at all.
Speaker 5: All the contractors. It was like, you know, schedule after schedule, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Coming off with that, today we have special guests doctor Kristin, who's here to talk about lovely subject of fertility. Hey, doctor Kristen, A nice to be here.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Where's your office?
Speaker 6: Downtown?
Speaker 3: Downtown?
Speaker 6: Okay, we're in a like right off of the one ten or good same hospital.
Speaker 3: And then Gen, you've shared your your fertility issues on the show.
Speaker 5: Have they have I I'm not sure?
Speaker 3: Refresh us.
Speaker 5: Okay. So I've never been on birth control my ever cut never.
Speaker 3: Okay, never, not once okay.
Speaker 5: And I was married for twelve years before I even you know, got pregnant, which is a very long time to be you know, it was, and we weren't careful. It's a very long time. So when I was starting to get older, I thought, I, you know, well, we have to get serious about this. So I bought one of the digital ovulation calculators and I started going to acupuncture twice a week in the beginning, and I drank this weird tea three times a day that I really I have no idea what was in it. I probably should have asked, but it took about six to seven months, and then I finally got pregnant. And it's really funny because I knew immediately. It was like two weeks pregnant, and I knew. I was at a like a summer pool party and was drinking a ton of tequila. And the next morning I just got d and ike up the next morning and I was like, wow, I feel awful, like not normal awful. It was like, there's I must be pregnant. So I got like, I got ready for work. I was launching the Oprah Winfree Network, and I stopped at the right aid and got a bunch of pregnancy tests and went to work, went into the bathroom and started taking pregnancy tests. So I found out I was pregnant in the open Windfree Network bathroom. And it was like two weeks pregnant.
Speaker 3: How did you tell you're so hungover? Like nothing, I did drink now that day to get the hangover over.
Speaker 5: No, because I was pregnant.
Speaker 3: It was like that first day. I know, every time I always did, I'm like, I'm so.
Speaker 2: There has to be more to this than just being on over. This is not normal.
Speaker 5: It was so crazy. So I never officially found out if I had fertility issues, but I just suspected, yeah, because it was I had to make it my job.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean twelve years without using any protection, not really paying attention. Right, at some point along the way, you would have thought that you would have got pregnant at least once.
Speaker 5: At least once, right for sure?
Speaker 3: Are there a lot of women though, that have chemical pregnancy chemical losses so that they actually get pregnant, but they just think it's their period.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. I think that in the first couple of days after, like when you're periods supposed to come, you can't even pianistick because it'll still be negative. Oftentimes we can see it in our office if someone comes in for a blood test, but if you're two three days late, some of those women could be having biochemicals and they just there's not really any way to tell when you're at.
Speaker 2: Home, Right, do you recommend or would you recommend? Because I know when Jane and I started to try to get pregnant, and we just kind of started trying just on our own, and then finally we weren't having success, so then we went in to see here Obi and ultimately had to get some things done to maximize the possibility of having a child.
Speaker 3: Was it the historioscopy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, historioscopy. I mean, do you think that's something that's beneficial where if a young woman wants to start looking at that, where she just starts off by going to see her doctor and be like, hey, I'm thinking about having kids, let's try to check everything right now so they're not quote unquote wasting time or because.
Speaker 3: We had that HSG test where we would have been trying for years and I would have gotten pregnant because I would have never known that my tubes were blocked.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I think that's a great point. And I actually do think it's a wonderful idea for women to think about that one, because there are so many things that probably need to be checked out before you're even thinking about fertility. Things are you immune to chicken pox? And you have medical issues that maybe need to be managed before you get pregnant. So it's always a good idea to talk to an obi Juan. And then a lot of people don't really understand the timing of when is the right time have sex in order to get pregnant, and so if you're not educated on that and you don't want to read on it online or something like that. You can talk to your obijui in about that. In terms of actually just jumping in and doing fertility diagnostic testing before you've even tried, I think it's reasonable, certainly, depending on what your ages. Most couples are going to get pregnant in those first three months. We think about half of them are going to get pregnant, and then in six months it's probably about seventy percent. So if you're at three months and it hasn't been working and you're nervous about it, and it's just going to give you some peace of mind that you can just kind of keep on trying on your own without intervening necessarily. I think it's fine to go see your doctor and say, hey, you know, I don't you know, if my insurance doesn't pay for it, I'm happy to pay for it out of pocket. But it just kind of it would make me feel a lot better and make me a little bit more common this process, because it can be so stressful.
Speaker 3: Especially when you're trying have a baby. That's you know, We've had friends that just try for years and it's like when you actually try. Who were just talking to last night, We're talking to my friend Cherry, and it's like, when you actually try to have a baby, it's so hard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think that most I think many women really aren't seeking treatment when they need to. Right, They've been trying for six months, a year, two years, and they haven't seen anyone yet. And you're absolutely right. For those women, there could have been something that we could have identified in the beginning that could have just saved them all that time and all that enguish and grief.
Speaker 2: Does any of that have to do with maybe a young woman is fearful of maybe what they might find out or is.
Speaker 3: It just more of absolutely really right?
Speaker 2: Or I didn't know if it was more of just like, h no, I'm just you know, I'll get pregnant, just over confidence.
Speaker 5: I guess I just thought I would get pregnant at some point, although as I got older, I knew that I had to be proactive and I was going to go to the doctor at some point if I didn't, you know, if I didn't get pregnant with the holistic approach that I took. And I will tell you, you know, I think I've talked about my ex mother in law a little, but have it I Yeah, she's fun It was really funny because as soon as I was announcing that I was pregnant, she took full credit for it, which I thought was fantastic because she said, oh my god, it's been twelve years and you have never gotten pregnant. I spent all day five months ago praying, which I love that she was praying and that energy is great. I want to support that. But it was she took full credit. And it could be I don't know, maybe it wasn't the acupuncture and tea, you know, whatever, but I just you know, she took full credit for the baby before she did. It's fantastic.
Speaker 6: I think young women are so much more aware of fertility issues now, and a lot of that is just a lot of the press with egg freezing and that they know that that's an option, and because egg freezing is out there and yeah, a lot of young women are doing it. I think more young women are aware of the fact that ages sometimes and oftentimes an issue as you get older, and so because of that are more proactive. So, for example, at my office, we have a diagnostic testing program, so you can come in and have some levels checked and have an ultrasound I'm not going to be able to predict if you're going to be able to get pregnant next month if you try, But I certainly can sometimes identify issues that may be problematic later so that you can kind of get a jump on it and maybe do egg freezing if that's something that you're considering, or just kind of plan up more thoughtfully how you're going to manage when you're going to get pregnant, depending on how many kids you want, how old you.
Speaker 5: Are, What age do you recommend that women start freezing their eggs?
Speaker 6: Well, for best start to do it. Yeah, early thirties. It makes the most sense because you want to do it under the age of thirty five, but you don't want to necessarily do it too young. Where a bunch of twenty one year olds are going around freezing their eggs, they're never going to use them.
Speaker 5: What happens to those eggs? Are they donated? Can people we adopt.
Speaker 3: That We so we had an embryo that we were freezing for a while, we end up using it, got pregnant, but lost it. But on that sheet, Jennet says, like if so if he dies, or if we break up, or if I die or whatever what we can do with the embryo. So either we give it away for adoption adoption essentially, or it goes to testing, or they unthought and it goes away. It's it's very weird. Wow, yeah, because because you're to us when we were saying that, I'm like this, but this is a child, right, But they're like, no, it's a petri dish of a child. I'm like, no, but it's a it could be a child.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You humanize it a little bit to be like, all right, well do we want you know, spawn of us around if we're not around? It was weird.
Speaker 5: That's a really difficult decision to make.
Speaker 3: It's really hard.
Speaker 6: I think there are I mean, there are some places where you can donate embryos to other couples. It's not incredibly common, but it definitely happens. I think we haven't faced the issue of what's going to happen if we have a bunch of leftover eggs at some point. I do think that just like with embryos, there will be something set up someday that those eggs could be potentially donated to someone else. But we haven't really crossed that threshold because We're just starting to get to the point where women who froze their eggs eight years ago are finally coming back. And that's what I'm seeing in my practice, which is really exciting.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's like, obviously, as we're seeing in society the trend of couples getting married later having children later in life. Do you think that's more of just kind of monogamy going downhill or is it? Or is it or honestly or in divorce rates increasing or is it also women being more successful in more careers and their more careers driven nowadays and they were, you know, decades ago.
Speaker 3: What are you saying, Mike, career driven?
Speaker 2: Because society is giving women more opportunities to be more careers driven. So I was just curious if you thought it was more one than.
Speaker 6: The other, or I mean, from the patients that are coming into my office, I think it's probably a little bit of both. Probably more that they are very focused on their careers and so they're not as focused necessarily on getting married and having babies right away. I think there is definitely a different mentality with some of the millennials about their outlooks on marriage, and that's evolving and changing to the age at where women are having their first baby is getting trending up in the United States a little bit.
Speaker 3: So I'm thirty five, we have two kids, but if we were to have another one and then we've had a handful of miscarriages, so our chances of having a miscarriage again would be significantly high, right because we've had so many or and then also with my age in to with.
Speaker 6: That, so all those things can contribute to that. So your age is probably actually the most important predictor in terms of having a miscarriage, yes, because as women get older, they're embryos right, are more likely to be chromosomely abnormal. Just means that the number of chromosomes is off, there's either too many or too little, and so that happens more commonly as you get older, and those chromosomal abnormalodies account for seventy percent of miscarriages. So age is a huge predictor in terms of miscarriages. If you've had a couple of miscarriages before, then you are a little bit more likely to have another miscarriage. But even if you've had two miscarriages in a row, the chance that when you get pregnant the next time that you're going to have a baby is seventy percent. It's really high, and especially if in your situation where you've had losses and then you've had pregnancies after, then it's even a little bit higher.
Speaker 3: Okay. I've had a lot of people talk about endometriosis. They've always asked questions because because we have done two rounds of IVF. So this was from Keisha. She said, I haven't started IVF yet, but I have been through many cycles of medicines and three failed cycles of IUI, do you have any tips on getting pregnant with endometriosis before trying IVF?
Speaker 6: Ermetriosis is tough?
Speaker 3: What is that exactly? Because everyone I email them.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, what it is?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: So inside the theaters there's the cavity, right, and the cavity is where the baby grows, and it's this potential space and it has a lining, and so each month when you're getting your period, you're shedding that lining. Okay, that makes sense, Yeah, okay, yeah, so we're following that. So what happens for all women is that sometimes some of those cells go backwards through the fallopian tubes and then they land and they abdomell the cavity. Now what happens if you don't have endometriosis is those cells just recognize they're in the wrong place and they go away. But if you have a new metriosis, then for whatever reason, they stick and they cause problems depending on where they So if they land on the nerve fibers right behind the uterus, then they cause women to have really bad pain, and so that's one of the hallmark symptoms of endometriosis. If they land on the Filippian tubes, right, they can cause scarring and block the Filippian tubes. They land on the ovaries, they can actually get into the ovaries and decrease the number of eggs right, and then all of the cells that are there create this environment that's actually not really great for the eggs, and so it can decrease the quality of the eggs. So it can cause many different problems. In terms of treatment for endometriosis, the most common treatment is medications, but they're hormonal medications and they're not really compatible with trying to get pregnant at the same time. So, for example, the first line treatment is birth control pills. You can't take birth control pills, you're trying to get pregnant, it doesn't work. So you can do surgery, right, and we know from some studies that doing surgery can improve your odds of getting pregnant. But when you're doing surgeries, we have to operate on twelve women and treat they're endometriosis, where we basically go in with surgery and burn all the little lesions right that are there. You have to treat twelve women in order to get one pregnancy. And so with the fertility treatments that we have with intuterine inseminations and whether IVF, we can replicate those successes without having to do surgery. So most of the time now, unless there's another indication to do surgery, if it's just that you're having a hard time getting pregnant, most likely you're just going to go to the fertility treatments and so there isn't anything extra that we can do.
Speaker 3: How many women have endometriosis, like, is it one out of what I.
Speaker 6: Think it may be? Has eyes one out of ten? Wow, it's really common. And so we think that for many women who have unexplained infertility, which is a large proportion that a lot of those women probably have endometriosis, it's just undiagnosed.
Speaker 3: Interesting, maybe I have.
Speaker 2: That that down.
Speaker 7: Yea, my wife has endometrios. Oh yeah, and it's it's been quite just getting diagnosed with it was a huge struggle. She had problems with pain for a really long time in all the doctors or like all have male doctors, Like I don't know what the problem is.
Speaker 8: And she finally got diagnosed and she had the surgery.
Speaker 3: But so what does the surgery do. Did they take away the it's beads?
Speaker 6: I guess you can either little lesions they look like little red or brown spots and you burn them, or you can excize them and to grab them out.
Speaker 8: Yeah what what was it called? The something scopic?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's it anyway, But she has to have that surgery again, like she had it three years four years ago.
Speaker 3: Why does she have to have it again because they come back?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, it's a progressive disease. I mean, every time you have your period, there's just more cells that are floating back into the abdominal cavity. And so that's why being on birth control, for example, can slow that process down. So it can slow the progression of the disease, but it can't eradicate it unfortunately.
Speaker 3: So what are you guys gonna do then?
Speaker 2: For?
Speaker 3: For trying for baby? Is that something we've thought about IVF for?
Speaker 8: I mean, we're we we haven't we haven't tried yet, but we're preparing our We're just like when it happens when we're trying, we're going to have to do that, probably just because.
Speaker 3: Of are the odds better for endometriosis couples to do IVF versus trying to get pregnant on their own?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, a lot of women with endometriosis will actually be able to get pregnant. So just because you have enumeutrisis doesn't mean that you're going to have infertility. And the interesting thing about endometriosis is that how much disease is in there is not necessarily predictive of how hard or easy it's going to be to get pregnant.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is thank you by the way for being here. I want to get to some more emails.
Speaker 2: But first, Okay, look, you spend a third of your life in between your sheets, and now that Jana and I have two kids, that time in our bed is more important than ever, and for us, our choice is brooklyn and because their missions to make five star hotel quality sheets moreffordable and easy to order. And our Brooklynen sheets are the best, most comfortable sheets we've ever slept on. And now it's your time to upgrade. Brooklyn dot com is giving an exclusive offer just for our listeners. Get twenty dollars off and free shipping when you use promo code Janna at brooklyn dot com. Brooklynen is so confident in their product that all their sheets, comforters, and towels come with a lifetime warranty. The only way to get twenty dollars off and free shipping needs to use promo code Jana at brooklynen dot com. That's b r O O k l i n e n dot com promo code Jana Brooklynen. They really are the best sheets ever. Okay. One of the most important things we do for our health every day is brushing our teeth, yet most of us don't do it properly. So Quip has designed a toothbrush to make brushing more simple, affordable, and even enjoyable. Up to ninety percent of us don't brush for a full two minutes or clean evenly. But Quip has a built in two minute timer that pusses every thirty seconds to remind you win to switch sides, helping you get a full and even clean. And I was skeptical about this at first because I'm an old fashioned guy that just likes to grab a toothbrush and brush as hard as I can. But after watching Jan to use it in the easy use and how well it works not gonna last, she converted me. One of the other reasons that we love Quick so much is that they're backed by over twenty thousand dental professionals and Quip starts at just twenty five dollars. And if you go to get quip dot com slash Jana right now, you get your first refail pack for free with a Quip electric toothbrush. That's your first retail pack for free at G E T. Quip dot com slash Jenna. Go get your Quip all right. So this emails from Mollie and so why am I not ovulating? I am twenty six and I went off birth control two years ago and my cycle was non existent until about March. She put me on Privera and discovered I was not ovulating. She then put me on Privera and Klomid for three cycles, no success. She told me there's nothing more she can do for me and that I need to go to a fertility specialist. Excuse me, I was wondering what your thoughts were and what the next steps are to take.
Speaker 6: So for her, she's just not ovulating at all. Correct doesn't say why. I mean, you need to try and figure out why. So I'm sure her doctor did that. There are some hormonal imbalances that can cause problems with ovulation. The most common reason why women don't ovulate is something called polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Speaker 3: Oh that's another sing Yeah, that's that was a few other questions in here too, is the piece? Yeah what is that? Also?
Speaker 6: Really common? About one in ten women have it, and it's becoming more and more more and more of a problem as the average and ways of American women goes up because it can be weight related.
Speaker 5: Oh, is that what causes it?
Speaker 6: Not all the time. So PCUS is kind of the syndrome and where like the end result is that you don't have regular periods, And there's also hormonal imbalances where you just kind of have like higher balance of testosterone versus estrogens. Just the easiest way to think about it. Some women are kind of born genetically with it, and so they can be super thin, doesn't matter what their weight is, they will always have PCOS. There are other women that are maybe predisposed to having it, and it's only when they gain weight that they have all of these symptoms. And though for those women, and that's kind of where the higher proportion of PCOS is right now in this country. If they lose weight, all right, and it can be very challenging to lose weight, but if they lose weight, then their periods can go back and become regular again. Yeah, and so for all of those women, and in the end, whether you want to make sure you tackle something if they have a thyroid problem or whatever that's throwing their periods out of whack, but the end results is that you really have to give them medication to help them ovulate, and Clonid is one of them for women who have PCOS. It's actually not the first line therapy anymore. There's another medication called let resol that has now kind of supplanted. Clomid is the first line therapy for pcos. Are those hormone is that hormone there are, so both clomid and let resol work in a way where they are kind of tricking the brain to make this hormone that's called f SH focal stimulating hormone, and that's the thing the brain sends down to the ovary to make an egg grow. And so with PCOS, it's just you know, they have the capability of doing that. The signals are all just kind of messed up, like the bringing and I always think it tell patients like the brain and the ovaries are just not talking to each other and they're not in sync, and so we just kind of need to sync them up so that everything can work correctly.
Speaker 3: This is just so hard because as I'm hearing all this stuff, everything that us women have to go through with our bodies, I know you guys go through a lot too, babe. And I'm not saying that sarcastically at all. I know you guys have you know, your stuff, But when it comes to us having you know, trying to get pregnant and not being able to be pregnant, especially when we want to be mom, like, that's so it's hard. All these issues that could cause us not to be a mom. It's just makes me really sad, and that's what leads me kind of into this one from Amanda Shews. I have a wonderful husband who loves our little girl in a way that has exceeded every expectation I've had of him as a dad, So we decide to try for another baby. However, the first time around the test was negative, then the second, and then the third. We just got our six negative tests in a row. My husband is so great and supportive, but even this last time, you can tell it's starting to weigh on him. I'm trying so hard to stay positive. I was hoping you could talk about how to handle the situation and how to deal with loss in your day to day life.
Speaker 6: I think it's really hard for guys when they are going through this process. I think that many times they feel marginalized on the outside of it because I mean not that they want to have all the tests that we have to go through as women if we're having fertility issues, but they're not going through all those tests, and they're just kind of have to, you know, they have to do their semen analysis and that's it. And then the female has she has to get blood drawn and X rays and ultracentjections, sections and all of that stuff, and so they're kind of on the side a little bit. I think that that can be really hard. And this isn't really coming from where my medical training is, but it's more just kind of what I observe is that guys like to fix things and they can't fix it for you, and that's a problem, and so I think that it can be really helpful sometimes to kind of bring them into the process and whatever way you think it will help them to kind of cope with it and help you. So they want to help you, So if you can find a little thing that they can do that can help you, and whether that's giving you a massage every night, or doing your injections or mixing them, or holding your hand when you're doing your injections if you're going through IVF, just involving them in some way I think is really helpful. I think that guys deal with stress and grief in very different ways than women, and I think we have to respect that. And they may not want to emote and articulate how sad they are to you or even to their friends, but maybe they just need to spend time with their friends and so allowing them to have that space and get the support whatever it is that they need.
Speaker 2: That's that's fantastic advice. And just speaking from a guid perspective, if like Janner came to has done this before. We had our son Jas and we suffered from miscarriage, and you know, she asked me like how I was feeling, And not only does that allow me to not feel alone, like I just have to be strong and not let anything affect me, but in turn it helped her because then she doesn't feel like she's the only one with those feelings and those emotions. And so that just that simple question hearing from Jana, I mean, did wonders for us in our relationship moving forward? So we feel like eighteen because it is unfortunately you know, you all have to go through the more physical aspect of it. But you know when you have a loss, we have a loss too, and that kind of gets lost in translation a lot of time.
Speaker 3: So I think it's because we feel like it's our body, it's our fault, and that's how I always felt. It was my fault and I let him down again and I'm not a good enough wife or a good enough mother and not my body isn't good enough to birth a baby and to hold the baby, because I'm like, why can't I hold a child? Why do I keep losing? So I think we just put all that stress on ourselves.
Speaker 6: Which it's always I think it's always hard for the person who maybe has the bigger issue, and it's hard for everybody, but it's just a different type of hard.
Speaker 3: What amount of stress do you really think plays into not conceiving? Because I've had so many doctors and you know, the fertility doctors, to my g onecologists saying and to family and friends, and I'd say this to people, say like, don't stress, it's gonna happen. But it's hard not to stress. So is stress I mean, is it can that really cause a miscarriage?
Speaker 6: No, so stress can't. It can't cause a miscarriage, but it plays a role.
Speaker 3: It's still there.
Speaker 5: It's a little role.
Speaker 6: It's not maybe as big as age, but it's there. And so I think that's important to the extent that you can do anything to manage your stress during an IVF cycle. I have patients that feel like, sometimes, oh, I have to take herbs and acupuncture whatever, and I said, okay, well, if that makes you feel good, we think it could potentially be helpful. But if it's stressing you out to get to all those acupuncture appointments, then maybe it's not worth it. But you know, people are stressed all the time and they get pregnant. I mean, every patient that walks in my office who's not able to have a baby wants to Maybe they're stressed.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we actually have a wind down listener online with us right now. Caitlin. Hey, hey, Caitlyn, So you got the wind Down crew and a specialist because we're we're not the specialist, but doctor Kristen wants to help you. So could you tell her what's going on and then hopefully we can give you some good insight.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My husband and I we had a child seven years ago together and we were very young and we weren't married, and so we wanted to wait until we were married to have our second. So we waited about four and a half years to start trying again after we had actually gotten married, and we went on our honeymoon and we came back and so we started to try and it has been about two years and we have not had any luck, and it's gotten to the point where, you know, it's a little bit frustrating, and we've tried the natural way, and recently I was prescribed a drug called clomid that's supposed to help you with your ovulation to conceive, and currently I am doing that now. But I've just had a few questions for doctor Kristen specifically, at what point during me trying to conceive process should IVF become an option.
Speaker 6: So if you isn't working on your own, typically the most common form of kind of like a lesser treatment than IVF is doing clomid, which is what you're on, and the goal of clomid is to make you ovulate two or three eggs instead of just one. The clomid really should be coupled with an insemination, which is where we get the sperm sample from the guy get the best sperm, we place it at the top of the uterus, so it's much closer to where the egg is going to be. If clomid iuis haven't worked in three cycles, the chance that they're going to be effective for you is actually really low, and so at that point you're better off just saving your money. For IVF and just continuing to try to get pregnant on your own. In terms of thinking about IVF and understanding how useful it might be for you, there are kind of two main things that really contribute to the success of IVF, and that's the quality of the eggs that you're going to have, which is related to your age. And then also the number of eggs and the number of eggs that you're going to get in an IVF cycle that can be predicted by some simple tests that your doctor can do. So they can do an ultrasound and look at something called the anthrofolical count, and that's counting the number of eggs they think that are available in any given month. And then also understanding some of your hormone tests. So there are these two tests called AMH and FSH and those are predictors of how well your ovaries are functioning. And so if we give you medications, what proportion of those eggs are going to grow. So if you're starting out with ten eggs, or you're going to get nine to ten eggs and an IVF cycle, or you're going to get closer to only five, and so understanding the number of eggs that you individually might make in a cycle, and how old you are, and so therefore the chance that that egg is going to become an embryo and become a baby, that is really important in understanding how useful IVF will be for you.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, So there's not really a set timeframe as to where a couple should really consider it.
Speaker 6: Well, if you've done three cycles of the clomid with the iuys, then the chance that that clomid IUI is going to be effective is actually the same as if you're just having sex at home around ovulation and so really maxing out at three cycles, and this is for women who are already ovulating and we're just trying to make them ovulate more eggs. So maxing out at three cycles is really the point where you should move to IVF.
Speaker 3: And she was also saying to Caitlin timing wise to try to get the embryos and eggs before you're thirty five, right, doctor Kristen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So if you're certainly if your egg freezing or embryo freezing, I have more couples that they themselves are not ready to actually have children, but they want to be proactive and make sure that it can happen in the future, and so couples can come in and freeze embryos, or if you are young and you haven't met a right partner and you're a woman and you want to preserve your ability to get pregnant, coming in and freezing eggs, doing that before the age of thirty five is ideal. But I have lots of women that are thirty eight, thirty nine and they haven't met the right guy and they just didn't think about freezing eggs before when they were younger, and so they're still coming in. It still can be useful. They may not have the same chance of success as someone who's doing it thirty two, but it's still useful, right, Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Well, it helpful information.
Speaker 3: We're praying for you, guys, and we're all here for you if you know through it, because I've been through it and it's not fun. But at the same time, there's always how do I say it, like it's such a hard thing to say, There's always a possibility, yeah, because it's just in that moment. I remember watching our IVF when it failed, the videos that I took, and just like how destroyed I was. But then you know, eight months later, I'm holding our son, so sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's tough to remain hopeful, I think with each passing month when you know you're you're hoping that it worked or that it took and of course you start your period and then it's here we go again, we start all over.
Speaker 3: So and a month seems like forever it does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so it feels like it's been a really long waiting game for the last twenty four months. And it's rough too when you know you're on social media and everyone you know or follow happened to be pregnant or is getting pregnant, and it seems so easy, and it's frustrating when you know you're doing everything that they say you should be doing, it's just not it's not working.
Speaker 6: And know that you're not alone, right, I mean, there's thousands of women and couples that are out there just like you that are going through similar circumstances. They're just not posting it on Instagram necessarily, and so you're not alone.
Speaker 3: And hang in there, And will.
Speaker 4: You please keep us posted to Yes, absolutely, and will thank you guys for the information. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Of course, thanks Caitlin for listening.
Speaker 4: Okay, have a good one. Bye bye, guys.
Speaker 5: How many IVF cycles can you both through?
Speaker 6: There isn't a number, but we know that, you know, especially when you're older. Let's say you're forty two and you're going through IVF, it's not going to necessarily work the first time. And in fact, there are actually pretty good studies that show you can do it five times and your chances of getting pregnant are the same. It's just that it's a lower likelihood that it's going to help. I mean, IVF doesn't make your eggs better. We just improve your odds of getting pregnant by making you make more in the hopes that there's a normal one in there and then optimizing the chance that egg is going to get fertilized by a sperm. And so we're improving your odds of getting pregnant. But with one IVF cycles sometimes it's just not enough and you have to do it a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Well, doctor Kristen, where can our listeners find you, especially if they're in the LA area.
Speaker 6: Well, I work at usc SOO. Usc fertility dot Org is our website. I'm also on social media. So I have my own website at doctor Kristen Benison dot org. And I'm on Instagram and what's your Instagram Mandel, doctor Kristin Bendison.
Speaker 3: Okay, perfect, thank you so much. Okay, So, now that I don't have a baby anymore, my periods have officially come back, and so I'm a big advocate for Lola. So what I love about Lola is that there are one hundred percent natural and it's just easy to feel good about. There's no but yes, there's no mystery fibers or even doubt about what's going into your body. What's really great about it too is Lola would deliver exactly what you need, exactly when you need it. So for me, I always know now when my period's coming because Lola shows up at my door. And the great thing too is that you're able to customize your order, so sometimes I don't need all the supers or the regulars. I mean, you can one hundred percent customize it to however your period is. They have pads as well, cotton tampons, pads, liners, and all natural cleansing wipes. I love my Lola again. It's delivered right to my door in a very discrete box, so that's always nice. They're one hundred percent organic cotton BPA free Tampa and Apple Players leaves me worry free about what I'm putting in my body. For forty percent off all subscriptions, visit mylola dot com and entered Jana when you subscribe.
Speaker 1: I have some emails here, but Jena's mid apple right now.
Speaker 3: Apples kind of give me trauma, by the way, because my dad, you can, always chew apples really aggressively and heats smack you know, like smackers anyways, so I get traumatized.
Speaker 1: My dad eats apple whole. There is no core. When my dad finishes an apple.
Speaker 5: Oh, he eats the steeds.
Speaker 1: He will remove the stem before you it's it, but otherwise it's all going down.
Speaker 3: Oh that's disgusting.
Speaker 1: I love that it's a convenience thing because if my dad's on the couch eating the applay, he doesn't want to have to get up and go to the trash that throws coor away, so it just eats the whole thing or drive.
Speaker 2: That's such like an old man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'm just curious, now that we're on the apple topic, is are you a throw the apple out the window when you're driving, or keep it in your car.
Speaker 1: I keep it in my car. I used to be a thrower, but I feel weird about it.
Speaker 3: I'm in my car. Why not you're gonna you're feeding the animals. And then people say, well, the animals are gonna go in the middle of the road and they get hit by a car. But I throw it all the way to the side of the road.
Speaker 2: What's funny about you? And saying that though for the longest time, she'd have the worst luck throwing an apple core out the window. It could be a green passion, nothing in sight, baby, But when she throws it out, bim, it hits that one sign that's there for ten miles and it bounces back onto the road like there's a period of time where it just happened. Every time.
Speaker 1: It was amazing.
Speaker 4: Illegal.
Speaker 3: It's it's illegal to throw composed.
Speaker 2: It decomposes.
Speaker 7: The only thing you can throw out of a car is water and chicken feathers. That's the only two legal substances.
Speaker 1: I have heard that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, chicken feathers outside of a window.
Speaker 8: Farmers transporting chickens.
Speaker 3: Wait, I'm sorry, I don't understand why it's illegal to throw food out the window because it's not glittering.
Speaker 2: All right, there's one thing you said about food, like you can't be thrown out like your half eat McDonald and like.
Speaker 1: That biodegrada if it doesn't are considered litter.
Speaker 5: WoT it all the time. You can't throw a gum, well.
Speaker 3: Gom, I get, because then that's that's that's sticking to the orange peelsy. I get anything that anything an animal can eat at throwout. So I would throw out the burger because that animal would love like a coyote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sidewalks and it's all fine.
Speaker 3: No, I just eat like apples and bananas, So I just throw the oh no, oh shoot, I do do the.
Speaker 2: Peel my dad I used to put it in her calm the file because the decomposes, if becomes compost, that dead it comes from it comes from the earth.
Speaker 8: We're putting it back and then you throw it on the road. And you got a Mario Kart situation.
Speaker 3: You can't throw it on the road because I'm eating an apple right now. Fantastic. Well, I really do try to throw it so that they don't come back in the road, because I know that that's not nice. But AnyWho, if not, I'm I leave so much crap in my car. Okay, anyway, the dirty car.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what's they say that people dirty cars have clean houses and vice versa.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, say that one more time.
Speaker 1: If you have a dirty, dirty car, you have a tidy clean house.
Speaker 2: What about those of us who have.
Speaker 3: A clean car and cuse no, no, no, zero. You have all that crap by the side of the bed that you do not clean. That's something there that's not mine. Oh you know what's there? Time out? You know it's there, the intimacy that I've placed next to his bed. Yet he's still He left it outside for like three days, didn't even bring it in. Wow, all right, I guess that's staying out.
Speaker 2: We have the fifteen swaddles that you can like, not swaddles, but the carriers.
Speaker 3: Oh, the raps wraps he couldn't figure.
Speaker 2: Out, and you just left them on my side of the bed behind the door.
Speaker 5: I could never figure the wraps out, but I loved my baby Bjorn or whatever. The clip's great.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's we have that once.
Speaker 5: I never could figure out how to put the baby in and then tie.
Speaker 2: It and come on over. I'll teach you something.
Speaker 3: You don't even know need to know. Mark email.
Speaker 1: This is from Leanna. I'm a new list and love the podcast. That's very nice. Been married five years and haven't had a year without catching my husband cheating on me.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's bringing the mood down.
Speaker 1: He will go to counseling. And I've tried for years to make this work, and now that I'm at my breaking point, he finally wants to try. What should I do? No kids yet? Thanks Leanna, leave no kids yet? Thank god, that's your opportunity.
Speaker 3: The fact that he doesn't want to get help, but then he just finally did. I don't think it looks too bright for you. What I need think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she needs to find somebody who respects her and is one hundred percent into the relationship.
Speaker 2: As soon as he gets comfortable, if she gives him another chance, as soon as he gets comfortable again, he's counted to it. If he's done every year for five years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this girl that I was talking to, I talked to a few girls on my DM on Instagram and she's said the same thing, like, my husband just will not go to therapy and he keeps cheating and it's like, honey, like you, if you're doing the work, you're trying. But if he's not doing it, like you have to leave.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have to because.
Speaker 3: He's going to keep doing it and he's not getting help.
Speaker 5: So that's and she's allowing yeah, because she's staying and saying, oh, you're not going to therapy. Okay, well you know it's.
Speaker 1: And she needs to look internally and figure out what it is about her self esteem and situation. Dad would allow this to happen to her over and over and over again. Isserve better.
Speaker 3: Yes, we all do that though, I mean, come on, you know what I mean. Yeah, we do well and we'll time out. Though, in the defense of this guy, maybe he needed that last swift kick in the butt like you did. But plain Devil's Advocate, you messed up a couple of times, you know so, and it was that last swift kick in the butt that puts you there. So maybe this guy needed that last swift kick.
Speaker 5: I'd like to dig a little deeper with Leanna and he husband to find out what's going on, because there's something deeper there. It's not just like this guy goes out and gets.
Speaker 3: Hey, Leanne, if you're listening. Email email Jana kramantiheartmedia dot com and we'll have you call in to dig a little deeper to see if there's another side to that, because I'm saying, like the guy side, maybe he just needed that last bit. Maybe he really is ready now.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, obviously for me going through it, I want to be able to have the guys back and give him benefit of a doubt. But if every year for five years.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also the history was he doing this when they were dating?
Speaker 3: Well exactly, we need to figure that out because it's dating them. Okay, you know, so I'm not right, but like Amy said, we need to get to the weeds of this land. Yep, give us a call.
Speaker 1: This is Danielle. She says, there's a topic I would like to see if you could discuss. I'm dealing with a very narcissistic mother in law and continue to be triggered by her toxic habits. That's quite a sentence right there. My husband and I've been trying to move on from it for quite some time, but we're always going in circles because she is his mom. She's very passive, aggressive and lashes out when we least expect it, for example, after our son was born at the hospital. I feel like this is a very common issue in many marriages. As his wife, I want to set boundaries, but I don't feel like he and I are truly on the same page when it comes to addressing the situation. I want to tackle it head on. He is a little more cautious than I am, and the advice would be helpful. Asked that swaddle story was so terrifying. Glad everything was okay and your mom's things set in Thank you for the podcast and the authenticity.
Speaker 3: Thanks Daniel John. Go ahead.
Speaker 5: I just I dealt with that for so many years, almost nineteen years, and I have never felt more free.
Speaker 3: Because you divorced him. Though I divorced him, but I'm seriously not to divorce him.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not saying that, but you when there is a narcissist in the family and the mother in law, it's you just you can't tackle it in any way except to put up your boundaries, which I took years, years, you know, for me to learn how to do that. But you aren't going to escape it. He's never going to be one hundred percent on your side because she's probably so manipulative that he's getting two stories. And he's always believed his mother as she's who cared for him. So you're never going to win. There is no I was going to say, there's no winner in this, but she's the winner. But if you do not give that the attention, and you cut the toxic energy off by don't go over there when she comes over to the house, have appointments, go to yoga, you're going to have to really not spend time with her. She is always going to feel that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Always.
Speaker 3: Our friend is kind of going through that. And you know they've been married for twenty is she twenty years? I think? And whereas she had to set massive boundaries around it. But it took a while for her husband to even see what the mom was doing because they're so blinded, like you said, by their mothers.
Speaker 2: It's that poor guy. I mean, you have the two most important women in your life pulling you two different directions. And it's like you said, Jay, I mean, there's been there his whole life. That's all he knows until he met his wife, right.
Speaker 5: So, and he's also programmed by her manipulation, right, because even your husband as a toddler was being manipulated because that's what narcissists do, so you know, it's so it's not his fault.
Speaker 2: No, if Danielle can have some empathy and look at it from that standpoint, be like, you know, this has to be hard that you feel like you're in the middle right and have to deal with this, like how can I help you? Instead of her being like you have to say no to your mother, we have to do this, being like, hey, how can I help you figure this out? What can we do? As opposed to attacking.
Speaker 3: I I'm kind of on two side this because before I had a son, I would say, oh, that mom's just enabling and she's being you know, he's just a mama's boy, and blah blah blah blah blah, and just make every excuse like how I always sayd with Pam. I was like, I can't believe Pam thinks that we should spend every Christmas at her house, you know, And then now you okay, but then but then now it's my son is spending every Christmas with me, and I'm going to have it by my side and I'm not going to So now it's like he's my boy, and I may not be a narcissist, but he's he's the love of my life. Like I'm his first and only woman he'll ever love. I mean, I'm and I'm reading. I'm like, oh, that's going to be me, Like I'm going to be I'm going to be terrible. I will. He's my boy, Like I am so literally obsessed with that boy that no girl will be perfect for him. Like it makes me want to cry, like no girl, Oh that comes in house, get out immediately, immediate.
Speaker 5: Room side.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so I don't know, Sorry, daniel Just do that.
Speaker 5: You know what else, Danielle, what you need to do is educate yourself and your husband on narcissist and how they behave in how they are in relationships, and it will give you a better understanding and will also help your husband wrap his head around technology behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah hopefully.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so huge. Thank you to Joybird. Go to joybird dot com slash Jana and receive an exclusive offer for twenty five percent off your first order by using the code Jana Brooklynning get twenty dollars off and free shipping when you use promo code Jana at Brooklynen dot com quip. That's your first refiel pack free at get quip g e t q u ip dot com. Slash Jana Lola for forty percent off all subscriptions. Visit mylola dot com and enter in Jana when you subscribe. Okay, this has been a really fun show. I've really enjoyed it. There's been some good emails. Doctor Kristen was great.
Speaker 5: Jen love fertility stuff. It is.
Speaker 3: It's sad. I just feel because we've been there, we've been not being able to have a baby. It's just there's so many women out there in this situation. So we love you, and uh, let's wind down again next week. Oh by the way, next week, for sure f g L one of them will be here. I messed up on my dates, But next week stay tuned.
Speaker 5: The Apple Crunk, The Apple