Speaker 1: Hey, they're folks. It is Sunday, July the twenty seventh, and MLK, Ozzy Osbourne and Albert Einstein all making an appearance in this inspiration edition of Amy and TJ. Everybody, welcome to this Sunday edition where we go through our quotes of the day from last week, give you a little background on them what they mean to us. But yeah, all three of those folks actually do make an appearance. You used all of those as week. Always give you credit. Robot is the one that usually hunts down the quotes. But you found some doozies this week.
Speaker 2: Simple ones, ye, very simple, yes, and in some ways they were thematic with the news events of the week. But we'll begin with our Monday, which you know, Mondays are tough. Sometimes Mondays are devoid of inspiration, and so I liked this quote. It's from an English author. His name is Chris Bradford's. I don't know if you've ever listened to or read or read to your children his books called The Young Samurai. There's a Young Samurai and Bodyguard series. But he is a black belt martial artist and I love what he has to say. Anyone can give up. It is the easiest thing in the world to do, but to hold it together when everyone would expect you to fall apart. Now that is true strength.
Speaker 1: Oh girl, what kind of Sunday or Monday were you haveing? It is how you started off the week with everybody else.
Speaker 2: It's set its set my week up well. And when I read it, I felt inspired, I felt motivated. I felt like energy surged through my body, like yeah, hell yeah, why would I give up? Let's keep on going. I think about this sometimes when I'm running, actually, because how many times do you start a run and you just want to stop? And how many things in life does that thought cross your mind? It'd be so easy just to stop.
Speaker 1: What's in that moment that keeps you going? Like there's some switch. I wish I could give the advice. I'm sure there's self help books and things I've read from motivational speakers, but it happens so often in running. It does first you're like I don't want to do this, I don't want to do this. You get half mile this is bullshit. You get to mile one. I have been in places with you ropes that I am almost mile one one and a half trying to come up with an excuse, like if I tell her my foot's hurting, she'll buy that.
Speaker 2: I've thought the same thing. I mean one hundred percent. And there have been times where your foot actually has hurt and then you say yeah, and then you say no, you keep going, and I so were like no, but I don't really have an excuse. I guess I do have to keep going.
Speaker 1: It is something so fulfilling about knowing that on mile one you wanted to quit, and then you finish mile six and your your goal. I was gonna do six today and I did, Like damn, I'm a badass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel well. I never regret a run, never regret a workout. And sometimes when I'm struggling with myself mentally and I want to stop, I say this to myself. If it were easy, everybody would do it, And that also helps me keep going. But I loved this quote once again from Chris Bradford. Anyone can give up. It is the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone would expect you to fall apart, now that is true strength.
Speaker 1: Your quote on Tuesdays spoke to me a lot, because this is something I have struggled with for a long long time and I still struggle with it now. And it came from MLKA. This was Tuesday, right. Forgiveness is not an occasional act. It is a permanent attitude. It's not an occasional act. And I think we do right we go through our lives. It's I forgive this person. I didn't forgive that person. I can forgive you, forget for this. I can't forgive you for that. That's I'm thinking about forgiveness in a different way. It is a lifestyle almost, and it is not a gift that I have received.
Speaker 2: It is a mindset and I hadn't I too, like you, really looked at forgiveness on a case by case basis, and I find, being honest with myself, there are people I have not forgiven in my life. And I saw this quote and it was a call to action for me, and I actually do want to take some time today to reflect about why I haven't forgiven certain people and what I'm holding onto and who it really hurts and who it really impacts. Forgiveness. Actually, you mentioned it. You haven't received the gift. It is a gift that you give yourself. You know, yes, of course you're giving grace to someone else, and that certainly is something worth noting for that other person, But it really actually is a gift for yourself because you're freeing yourself from the weight of anger, of negative feelings, of holding on to hate for what reason? For what purpose? Do we somehow want to be a victim? Do we somehow feel power in that? And it really is weighing us all down. We are creating suffering by not forgiving people. And so, yeah, I really want to take some time with this today.
Speaker 1: I have to forgive you. Does it have to be an act of forgiveness? Meaning do you have to express it? Do you need to look at that person who wronged you and you say I forgive you?
Speaker 2: Now I don't think so.
Speaker 1: That's then I am better at forgiveness. There are things I have to let go of. But there are people I haven't made amend, didn't make amends with and say I forgive you. I have plenty of those.
Speaker 2: Look, if I would just say, if you have an interaction with any of those people going forward or potentially in the future, you just smile and yes, you do let it go. And when you make a decision to let go of any ill will or any feelings of being wronged. If you just say I released these, you will be different in your interactions with them. I don't think have to unless you need to. There are occasions, of course, where you absolutely should apologize, but sometimes it's just a mental state where you just let it go and you're kind no matter what. And honestly, I think the hardest person to forgive is yourself sometimes oftentimes. And that was actually something I was listening to the other day. How many of us, if you really think about it, feel that shame for past wrong deeds, and we've all done things that we're not proud of, and how any of us bury them and hold on to them, and they're deep inside of us and we don't even realize it. So having that moment to kind of cleanse yourself, not just for forgiving other people, but for forgiving yourself, I think it's so powerful. So thank you Martin Luther King Junior for all of your incredible words of wisdom. But this one, specifically this week. Forgiveness is not an occasional act. It is a permanent attitude.
Speaker 1: And the one on Wednesday was plucked because of certainly the news we had gotten the day before that Ozzy Osbourne had passed, and he has a lot of interesting quote out there, but I thought this was a This was a cool way to honor him in a lot of way. It summed up a lot of him.
Speaker 2: Yet most of his quotes I looked at were I actually laughed out loud, some of them having to do with sobriety or the lack thereof sobriety. But this one, actually, well, I think everyone will get the reference, and it's applicable to life. You gotta be really careful what you bite off. Don't bite off more than you can chew. It's a dangerous world out there, Ain't that the truth?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But if you you know, I didn't set this up right. I might have set it up the right way when we did it during the week. But if just say, hey, read that quote and not tell you who said it, you go, oh, that makes sense, that's cool, it's something to remember. Then I tell you it's Ozzy Osboyne. I ah, I get it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not talking about doves or bats what it applies, but we are talking about just in life in general. I think all of us take on more than we should most likely, and that's what with its boundaries. Now we're all learning about boundaries, and I've been terrible about it in my life. But yeah, our health suffers physically and mentally when we take on too much, when we don't know when to say no. I think a lot of us are afraid to say no. We don't want to hurt people's feelings. We don't want to let people down. We want to be the person people come to and can count on, but we often suffer because of it. So yeah, Ozzie, thank you. I thought that quote was amazing and cheeky at the same time.
Speaker 1: You gotta be really careful what you bite off. Don't bite off more than you can. It's a dangerous world out there. And that was on Wednesday. We go from Ozzy Osbourne Robes to Albert Einstein on Thursday.
Speaker 2: We like to just have a wide variety of notable folks who say things that are important and useful in different ways to each their own. But Albert Einstein, I loved this quote. He said, weak people revenge, strong people forgive, intelligent people ignore.
Speaker 1: We debated when you read this in real time during the Morning run last week, and we debated which one were we We're not people who seek revenge.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely not that, all right?
Speaker 1: Are we people who forgive? We just talked about maybe not so great at it? Yes, ignore, I'm I'm masterful with that.
Speaker 2: See I'm not. I think of those three revenge, forgive, ignore, I am much more likely to forgive.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I am much more likely to ignore. Probably revenge would be second. No, I'm kidding, forgive it would be second. Yes, nobody gets revenge. Who even thinks about revenge?
Speaker 2: A lot of people do what? Yes, adult, a lot of yes.
Speaker 1: Revenge, I'm going to get you back.
Speaker 2: Oh. I have seen people post things on social media like, don't cross me. You you think you know, don't mistake my kindness for weakness. You know I am going to blah blah blah that retaliation. Yes, person, People feel like, yes, they want to make somebody feel the way they felt, and we do do it without even calling it revenge. If someone attacks you verbally says something you don't like, what do you do? You go back and you say, well, what about you? You did this? That might be a mild form of verbal revenge. But I think in small ways we do tend to do that and instead of accepting responsibility or saying I'm sorry, or we go back and we get people back, or if someone says something bad about you, look at the comments section on any social media host. If someone says something, someone comes back and attacks them, and it's just attack, attack, attack, attack. So I do think revenge is a big part of our society, and I do think it's important to recognize that is weakness.
Speaker 1: What's your problem ignoring people?
Speaker 2: I guess I'm just someone who tends to react. I and sometimes reacting is in forgiving and understanding and saying I guess I could see myself doing that, or maybe they were. I make excuses for myself and for other people a lot of times because I try to understand, and I don't know. Ignoring is not in my wheelhouse. I don't. I actually, for me, I understand why it's important to be able to do that, to just say I'm not going to be affected by that, I'm not going to respond to that. I understand that's actually a really a position of strength as well.
Speaker 1: There's another quote we could add to this, to that point about ignoring. Mama, say you can't argue it a fool because from a distance, nobody knows who's who, and so intelligent people ignore how many times we've talked about this in recent times, where we have had situations where something's happening right in front of me, with somebody who is saying something that I know to be wrong, that somebody is passionate telling even correcting me about something. I just looked over at you. We shared a glance and I didn't clap back. I didn't respond. I just let somebody have their moment. I didn't need to be right. That is something I don't know where I got that from. Maybe my mom.
Speaker 2: I think your mom. Just a few times i've met your mom, I saw a quiet intelligence about her, meaning she didn't need to chime in. And I remember there was one since where your dad was saying something and your mom was like, m M. I could see she knew, and then eventually he realized that what he was saying wasn't the correct it was just a silly story about there when they met back in the day in high school, and she's like, I, yep, wasn't just any but you were wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe that is it, but I don't know. I have I just don't. It's not the time or the energy, because usually what comes with that is something boiling in you that makes you uncomfortable, makes you uneasy, makes you upset, makes you emotional, and the other person is still chilling. Why am I upsetting myself for somebody who ain't even thinking about me. It's just so easy to let fools be fools. You just let it go. I don't have to be right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you let someone hang themselves, right, that's the phrase.
Speaker 1: But it's okay if they don't realize in the moment that I already won. That's what we do so often, right, we have to end that moment. That's why we clap back on social media. U uh, you can't say that I got to get the last word. I gotta be right. I can't let you show me up. Who cares?
Speaker 2: Cool kid? Actually you said it's actually not about winning or losing. It's just about let them. I love that theory for mel Robbins. Let them. That kind of plays into this let them.
Speaker 1: So take that with your folks from Albert Einstein. That was with us. That was on Thursday week. People revenge, strong people forgive, intelligent people ignore. But we got two more Ropes always gives you a bonus quote on Sunday, but we'll tell you are Friday quote, what it was, why it's a big deal, and why If you feel like your life is falling apart, this one will explain to you why things are not so bad.
Speaker 2: Before we go to break, I have to tell you about new leggings I've been living in lately. They're from this brand called Tona, and fun fact here, they were actually designed by the same visionary behind Lululemon, So from that alone, you already know they're gonna be pretty good. These leggings feel like a second skin. They're super flattering, super comfortable, and somehow still supportive. I've been wearing them on my morning runs and they've quickly become my everyday lounging leggings too. And here's what makes them even better. Every pair you buy helps fund a mental health counseling session for a teen in need. Tona's on a mission to end teen suicide and self harm, which we think is so important and incredible, So we've partnered with Tona to give you twenty percent off your order and free shipping. Head to tonaactive dot com and use code iHeart for twenty percent off and free shipping, and welcome back everyone to your Sunday Warning run filled with inspiration. And we're going to turn now to our Friday Quote of the day, which I think everyone at some point in their lives gets to rock bottom. Right, So this quote really spoke to me and hopefully to so many of you. This is from an unknown author and yet powerful all the same. I like unknown quotes, by the way. I don't know how we come up with them. Maybe they're attributed to so many different people they can't pick one, so they just say unknown. But here's the quote. Sometimes when things are falling apart, they may actually be falling into place when you have the perspective in some time, go back and think about your low moments, the lowest moment, the hardest moment, and you look back and you think that had to happen that way, because I wouldn't be where I am now if I hadn't on through that pain, that difficulty, because it had purpose and it changed me in a way that got me to where I am today, physically, mentally, logistically, whatever. I think, it all makes sense with perspective, and I when you're in the thick of it, it's hard to imagine you're getting out of it better and stronger.
Speaker 1: You need perspective and experience. This might you might need some years to I mean I could have been in my early thirties and wouldn't have believed this, or mid thirties and wouldn't have believed that. Would people just say that No, And if you've lived enough life you know good and hell, well you've had that moment where you're like, oh my god, this is my life is over. Even to that point.
Speaker 2: I had a couple of years.
Speaker 1: End up on the other side of it and go, wow, I wasn't even living. I wasn't where I should have been. But it takes time and perspective. But yes, things are falling apart. Could they be falling into place for you? Just think about that for so whatever's going on in your life. Think if things are actually falling into place. Wow. I think about all kinds of things right now.
Speaker 2: And I also think when when the worst thing happens, the thing that you hope never happens, that thing that you're like, please God, I won't be able to handle it when it does happen, and you get through it, you realize, wow, I can handle anything. There is this renewed sense of confidence, this renewed sense of courage where you feel like I've been there and I managed it, and I figured it out, and look at me now. It really does bring you to a new high after you've gone that low. So again, for everyone listening, sometimes when things are falling apart, they may actually be falling into place.
Speaker 1: And a bonus, as promised, Rose pluck this one out another American author. You set this one out? Where'd you grab this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I actually was just looking through inspirational quotes. I have never heard of Spencer Johnson, but he's an American author and he actually does some self help books. And I just thought this was so cool because I think so often we end up feeling well, we wake up, we have a moment, we just we have negative thoughts. We are thinking everything's messed up, things aren't going the way I want them to. You're frustrated. And I love this quote from Spencer Johnson. He said, in one minute, you can change your attitude, and in that minute, you can change your entire day. You can make a decision. It's about catching yourself. You can be in a negative narrative in your head and you start thinking everyone's against you and everything's against you, and you can just say, wait a minute, what am I doing? Why am I thinking this? And our thoughts are so powerful and you can stop yourself. So if you can just recognize we all do it, I'm gonna do probably at some point today, certainly sometime this weekend. You catch yourself, catch yourself. But it is so powerful when you can say, ah, I see what you're doing mind, and I'm going to stop that negative train of thought right now.
Speaker 1: I think some people hear that and this roll their eyes. Whatever. It sounds so easy, and I think there was a tendency at some point in my life to do the same thing. But if you stop and just try to apply it, apply it a few that, just try what happened, Just try it. And attitude often is everything, and perspective often is everything. So American author Spencer Johnson, thank you for that the bonus for today. In one minute, you can change your attitude and in that minute you can change your entire day. So with that, so as we wrap here in this last bit, when you stop listening, take sixty seconds and try to change your attitude. Just try it, give it a shout, see what happens.
Speaker 2: And with that everyone, thank you for listening to us on this Sunday morning run. I'm Amy roebuck On behalf of my partner TJ. Holmes. Go out and have a great Sunday and the rest of your week. We'll be with you on Monday morning runs, so look out for that. We appreciate you