Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Dan Patrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app. We did it. We made it tonight, opening night of the NFL season. We'll have predictions coming up a little bit later on your phone. Calls are always welcome. We have Fritzy via remote. He's zooming in today. But hi, Todd, what's it going?
Speaker 2: Great? Great?
Speaker 3: I have breaking news about my stint situation.
Speaker 1: That Yeah, let's save that. Yeah, how about we do football first.
Speaker 3: It's opening night tonight, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes it is, Tod Lions cheep, Yes it is.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing my Broncos always thof Thank.
Speaker 1: You, Tom. This isn't going to be a Friday Fritzy on Thursday. I'm no, it's not. No, not yet. Let's slow down, ease into the show a little bit here.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 1: Stat of the day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program eight seven to seven to three DP Show operator Tyler standing by. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you our streaming partner and our radio affiliates around the country. iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio. Play of the day, stat of the day, poll question, all of that forthcoming. We'll talk to David Carr, former number one overall pick. He works for the NFL Network and of course his brother is Derek Carr. He'll join us a little bit later on. Also, Jean Jacques Taylor is a reporter for the Dallas Morning News. He has written a book about Dion Sanders at Colorado. That didn't take long. We'll talk to Jean Jacques who's covered the Cowboys for a long long time. All right, setan, what are we going with?
Speaker 4: We got one here from Paulie. I assume you're mentioning the poll question correct? Yes, yes, okay, yes, uh. Paul has one of the most rootable team in the NFL. Is dot dot.
Speaker 1: Dot Okay, give me the uh the genesis. Well, you can give me the genesis if you will, so.
Speaker 5: Like if you didn't have a dog in a fight, if you if your team was out and someone team is going on a playoff running and what team would America most get behind. I'm gonna throw out the one seed Detroit Lions. I'm throw out the Miami Dolphins seating throughout there.
Speaker 1: Seattle Dolphins feel routable to after what he went through last, I don't know. It's Tyreek Hill routable?
Speaker 4: Muche Okay, yeah, count you know point counterpoint?
Speaker 5: How about the Seattle Seahawks, which you know Smith nobody redemption.
Speaker 1: Well, they kind of had their run, you know, Legion of Boom. You know, all right, that was nice, great, great defense. We moved on from that.
Speaker 4: Are the Chiefs still super routable then? I mean, I know they're a favorite. I know they're awesome.
Speaker 6: I don't know that, like, do people not like the Chiefs?
Speaker 1: I don't know if there's a reason to not like them.
Speaker 6: I don't feel like that people don't like them.
Speaker 5: Are they like the mid nineties Bulls where they're dominant and you want them to still be dominant? Maybe it could be. Yeah, I'll throw out another team you root for. How about the New York Jets historically? I know they're being overcovered, right, now.
Speaker 1: But I don't think they're rootable this year. I don't think so. I think overcovered and the Rogers stuff, people either love him or they hate him.
Speaker 5: I think they like the new Rogers, the NYC Rogers.
Speaker 6: Going out to the NYC Rogers is great. Yeah, great either.
Speaker 1: I think the Buffalo bill are still rootable, very fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would probably put them as a number one seed. Highly routable, Yes, Todd.
Speaker 7: Snatty, final seed Burrow get over the top and get that last to win and get his.
Speaker 5: Ring, Okay, like yeah, yeah, Paul one more the LA Chargers. They've always gotten close or not that close actually, but Herbert people like, they love the uniforms. It'd be nice to see them in a Super Bowl. Routable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think we've all learned from that mistake to root for the Chargers, as I have where I go. You know, this is the year for the Chargers, and it's never the year for the Chargers, yes see.
Speaker 4: But I think I think the Chargers also have the why are we rooting for this team?
Speaker 6: Still?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 6: When are they gonna sort of make this happen?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah? When are we moving on from this team?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Why what's the story with this team?
Speaker 1: Are you guys gonna be good yet? Or what are the forty nine ers? Routable? Mister irrelevant? Maybe Kyle Shanahan finally gets a super Bowl. They like Deebo, Samuel Bosa's in camp now, Christian McCaffrey, George Kittle. We like George Kittle.
Speaker 6: I don't not root for them?
Speaker 1: Okay, none with that. That's that's not the bold question. It's a part of it. Who is it that you?
Speaker 4: It's that there are sometimes there are teams that you take great pleasure in watching lose. Okay, they're not one of them. Who who do we take great pleasure? Dallas Cowboys?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's gonna say. Can you top that?
Speaker 5: You can top it? Over the past year or so, people enjoy watching the Cleveland Brown struggle and it's because of Deshaun Watson, and it's an underlying topic nobody talks about. But he is a not a bloff figure.
Speaker 1: I think it's fair to say, yeah, that's pretty obvious.
Speaker 6: Are we doing the hot takes segment?
Speaker 1: Now? No, we weren't going to. We're gonna save it. Legacy box is the simple, safe solution for digitizing all your family's precious memories and by going the legacy box dot com slash Patrick, save and enjoy fifty five percent off when you get started with Legacy Box today legacy box dot com slash Patrick. Right before I was going to turn on my microphone today, PAULI goes, you know what I love about the NFL? And I did a Paulie, I go say, Vett ready, yes.
Speaker 5: We have no idea what's going to happen the next five months? Zero. I went back and looked at last year's predictions from this day. Last year, I could find Broncos picks in the Super Bowl. The Broncos Russell Wilson, it's the right move, it's great. I could find Colts going to the super Bowl last year. I could find the Packers going to Super Bowl. I could find people saying the Eagles are making a mistake sticking with Jalen Hurts a year ago. Jimmy Garoppolo. It's redemption season for Garoppolo. Trey Lance will be the breakout guy this year. He's the perfect running pass guy. Brock Party's never mentioned Tua better this year. He better do something because he'll never get a contract and everything twisted the other way or different ways. We have no idea. Even the negative stuff like DeMar Hamlin, yeah, or Tua getting the concussions earlier in the season. There's gonna be storylines over the next six weeks eight weeks that nobody saw coming. And that's other sports aren't like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like there's some sports that are predictable. We know how it ends up. Now you can say, well, Kansas City is going to be in the super Bowl again, Like you could make that prediction and it might be like Alabama or Georgia, you know, playing in the super Bowl or in National Title Game. It's a safe prediction there. But yeah, you're right. Twisting turns along the way, there'll be people come out of nowhere, people who are here disappear, and then we're gonna have some hot takes that actually might come to fruition a little bit later on. I'll give you my super Bowl pick, guaranteed to be wrong a little bit later on.
Speaker 4: Yes, Seatan, It's funny that we don't know what's going to happen this year, and yet the media spends the entire year saying, Oh, I told you, but I told you that I mean, if you remember back at week three, I called that.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to find someone who picked Jalen Hurts leading the Eagles to the Super Bowl. Probably not a lot.
Speaker 1: Not many people pick brock Purty.
Speaker 4: It might have been a hot that might have been part of a hot Takes segment, not brock Purty, but Jalen Hurts. That might have been hot pickish by somebody. Hot takish, I mean hot pickish, hot pickish, not takshish.
Speaker 5: I got takes where rams repeat?
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, yeah, you know the rams are irrelevant. What did we talk about? We talked about Matt Stafford's wife, Aaron Donald coming back. Cooper Cup is injured. If you're Sean McVeigh, at what point do you go, Man, why didn't I take that money in TV? It seems like a pretty good job. You know, you could have that for another ten years and come out of retire Ironman if you wanted to and coach again. But yeah, we don't talk too much about the rams. And here's Cooper Cup still trying to figure out what exactly he has wrong with him or how to treat this. He's ruled out a Sunday's opener against the Seahawks. He's got that hamstring injury. He missed eight games last season to injury. And you know, this is one of those where we talked about this yesterday. When you have surgery, you usually come back, you know, modern medicine, you come back. There's still injuries, still things that linger. Hamstring injury, lingers. You know guys who have you know, lower body injuries. Those things can kind of linger a little bit here. And it's almost like if you break a bone, you have a better chance of coming back healing and playing than you do if you have a lingering injury, you know, the soft tissue injuries they like to say. Nick Moosa and the Niners agreed to that five year, one hundred and seventy million dollar extension. So he's now the highest paid non quarterback in NFL history. Wasn't his brother at some point Joey was the highest paid non quarterback in NFL history?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, the brocess. Wait, is that your Joey Bosa impersonation Seaton.
Speaker 6: It was a little money.
Speaker 1: Over the last two seasons, Bosa leads all NFL players with thirty four say we kind of lump them in like they're the Gronkowski.
Speaker 6: Brothers anytime there's brothers. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they the NFL likes brothers. JJ Watt Yeah, jj Watt Yeah what Marvin.
Speaker 9: They do love brothers okay, Yeah, like actual brothers.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay.
Speaker 1: And they like brothers, they sure do. Maybe not his head coaches, but they like brothers.
Speaker 3: Or GMS GM.
Speaker 1: Boney rule yeah too.
Speaker 2: Soon yeah soon.
Speaker 3: They were like, man, it's so many of you guys.
Speaker 1: Did you know you guys would be a come on.
Speaker 9: You just play guys?
Speaker 1: What do you want to coach now? Too?
Speaker 3: That's crazy? You want to call the place?
Speaker 1: Wait, you want to play quarterback?
Speaker 9: Offensive coordinator? Paris the thought?
Speaker 1: Come on?
Speaker 3: Both want to lead the team? Sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Bosa is one of five NFL players to have multiple fifteen sacks seasons within their first four years in the league. Reggie White, J. J. Watt, Richard Dent, and Andre Tippett. Yeah, standing the day.
Speaker 5: Start of the day. Start out of a day, scout out a day.
Speaker 7: This is the start of the day.
Speaker 1: By the way, I want to give a shout out to a big fan of the show. His family drove from Virginia up to my books signing the other night just to Saal and get a book signed Justin Rayner and he and his parents. They live in Virginia and they drove all the way up. Just wanted to give a shout out that he says he's our biggest fan, and.
Speaker 6: I can confirm that, yes, confirm that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just want to say thank you, thank you for coming up and saying hello. They wrote me a nice card and got a chance to read that last night. So the Lions are getting four and a half tonight. We still don't know about Travis Kelcey. I'll give you the latest here. This is from Tom Pellisero, our good buddy from the NFL Network. He sent this out this morning and it reads as as they bring it up here. The Chiefs plan to put Travis kelce through a workout this morning to test his injured knee per sours, just two days after hyper extending the need suffering a bone bruise in practice. He is a true game day decision for tonight's opener versus the Lions. I wouldn't try to squeeze him in tonight. I just you know, it's a long season. You need him aside from Mahomes. He's your most important player and I don't even want him seventy five percent. Just you obviously are going to miss him, but you're at home and you hope that this is one of those mahomesy and type moments. Okay, here's a question for you. Does Patrick Mahomes throw an interception tonight? Okay? Now, the reason why I bring this up, He's never thrown an interception in his opening game. He's won five openers. I think they average thirty four points a game. I think that he's got fifteen touchdowns and I don't believe he's thrown an interception. Yes, Todd, you put the whammy on it.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: Okay, first pass of the night.
Speaker 3: Huh, certainly by mid second question?
Speaker 1: Okay, thank Tod. Does Mahomes throw an interception tonight? By the way, better storyline the Lions win or the Chiefs win. It's the Lions, right. The Lions winning tonight gives that sort of hope to a lot of teams. And do they win in a shootout here? You know, if the Chiefs don't have Chris Jones, I don't think their defense is very good with him. I think they're better than average, but I don't they don't have a formidable defense. Their best defense has been their offense. But this is a situation where if you're the Lions and there's no Chris Jones and no Travis Kelcey, you want to prove that you really are a formidable team. You got to win this game and can you get in a shootout with this Kansas City team? And kans City's got some new faces there as well that they're going to rely on, or try to rely on. Justin Ross out of Clemson. He got injured. He was going to be a top you know pick, first round pick, and uh, you know they're pretty pretty high on his his talents there. But uh, that's what we have the information going into tonight's game. The uh, let me see anything else. Odds to score the first touchdown tonight, I guess they think it, Uh, the Lions will score the first touchdown. The question is is it David Montgomery, Jamiir Gibbs or Aman Ross Saint Brown. Then it's Isaiah Pacheco and Kadarius Tony. Best odds are the Detroit Lions players, Yes, Todd.
Speaker 7: Not only is Travis Kelsey gonna end up playing tonight, He's going to be the one that's going to get the first touchdown.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's right. Wow, today's hot take the.
Speaker 1: Well, if Kelsey was healthy, he would be the odds on favor for that. Two options for you, regular and yogurt dip minibones all in stock Danpatrick dot com. I came in today and I saw Penny the House Dog, Pennies, Bang Biscuits and the Bang Jerky is well available at Danpatrick dot com. Twenty percent off all Bang Biscuit sales will be given back to hand picked partners in the pet industry. So twenty percent of all the products that we sell go back to partners in the pet industry. All right, let me take a break, we'll come back. We'll settle on a poll question once again. Travis Kelce going through a workout this morning to test his injured knee. A true game time decision. Just getting started. Dan and the Danets back after this. Simply safe, simply safe home security. What's up homes recommended for the last decade on this program, Simply safe Home Security, maybe even longer than that. What a great partner they've been. But it's a great product. And that's what I love to be able to tell you about. When we have partners, and it's a product that we use. Twenty four to seven Live guard Protection, the new smart alarm indoor camera. They work seamlessly as part of Simply Safe system to keep your whole home safe from break ins and fires and floods. And they also have something where they can stop crime in real time, the twenty four to seven Live guard Protection. It's designed to if an intruder breaks into your home, Simply Safe professional monitoring agents can actually see, speak to, and deter them through Simply Safe's new smart alarm wireless indoor camera. They've thought of everything, but they're always thinking of you. For a limited time, get twenty percent off your new system when you sign up for fast Protect Monitoring simplysafeedan dot com. There's no safe like simply Safe. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. I'm full of random thoughts today, just forewarning everybody, such as is it better for football if Colorado wins this week? Or the Detroit Lions win this week. Now follow me because September college football is usually kind of boring. But we love the Colorado train here, the hype train. They go to Nebraska. You want to continue that storyline?
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: If Colorado loses in Nebraska, then we're like, okay, that ended quickly, but we want Colorado to continue to be relevant right the build up to a usc showdown here. But we want the Lions to win because then it proves that the Lions are worthy of the hype. And Okay, maybe Kansas City is not as formidable and maybe now it's wide open here for somebody to win the Super Bowl this year. Yes, Paul, it's a.
Speaker 5: Good comparison because both teams are known for their coach, the coach being a character, coach, being outspoken, Dan Campbell. He's really the star of the Lions until someone else takes over. But yeah, Colorado's got Nebraska and Colorado State and then you get in the national TV game against Oregon, hopefully both undefeated. That'd be great.
Speaker 1: So which game is more important Colorado for there's sport? Okay, So yeah, because like you said, what.
Speaker 5: You got Alabama Texas this weekend, which is a big hammer game, but otherwise September needs more storylines for college football.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, see.
Speaker 4: But most games in college football end up being fairly irrelevant. There's only four teams that could actually win the whole thing. All of these games really don't mean all that much. Okay, I mean locally they might or like the DN thing is a ton of fun, but at the end of the day, Colorado's not. I don't see them playing some kind of spoiler somewhere.
Speaker 1: Well, we do sort of know the end of the movie. We have an idea the end of the movie that is college football. But along the way, there's those moments where we enjoy week in and week out, and you're right, is Colorado going to be playing in the national you know title picture? No, they won't be, probably not, No, probably not. But along the way we love these stories. Then we get to the those are nice. Now we kind of push them to the side. It's like March madness, Like, oh my god, did you see Maryland Baltimore County with an upset? You go, yeah, that's nice. Now let's get to the teams that are really good, the Blue Buds, and they play for a national championship.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul has reading these stories about Nick Saban and if Alabama doesn't make the playoffs again, I look back at Alabama's schedule, Can you want to refresh yourself? They were six points away from being undefeated in the regular season. You know, remember that knuckleball kicked by Tennessee and that loss, and then you have an overtime loss to LSU, both winnable games. You know, it's it's very interesting with with Alabama that the storyline may not match the quality of the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they shouldn't have won against Texas last year.
Speaker 5: Yes, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can factor that in that that one was that was all Bryce Young there. You know, Brian Kelly Seaton, who is your comparison with Brian Oh? Okay, Brian Kelly is to college football what Russell Wilson was to the NFL.
Speaker 4: Last year, you just can't stop tripping over his own toes and to the point where at first it was kind of fun to laugh at and now I just feel bad.
Speaker 1: So there was the accent last year, and now he's trying to claim comments about beating Florida State either didn't happen or they were taken out of context, and he says they have audio of him saying that LSU would beat the heck out of Florida State. Now he says he didn't say it.
Speaker 4: He's like, I would never say something like that.
Speaker 1: You did, but you did, Okay, I understand sometimes, you know, when you do a lot of interviews, you might forget what you said. But when somebody says, now there's audio of this coach, I never would have said that, Yes you did, and then you lose, you get dominated in the second half by Florida State, because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he probably did a bunch of interviews that week, you know, or even in the weeks leading up to it. So yeah, of course, how would you remember every single thing that you said?
Speaker 5: Yeah he said it on Thursday, Yeah that long ago, not Thursday in April.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Thursday, last Thursday, like the one that just passed. Yeah, a week from a week aldgo today.
Speaker 5: Three days before the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never.
Speaker 6: Would have said that. That's not something I would ever say, But you did.
Speaker 1: We have audio. Let's roll quote.
Speaker 5: I think you all know me. I'm pretty careful with what I say. I've never been cavalier, disrespectful an opponent thirty three.
Speaker 1: Years Oh, do we have the sound Marvin, do we have that? Okay, Here here's Brian Kelly talking about Florida State.
Speaker 10: We're going to take fifteen freshmen on this trip and fourteen trans for so nearly forty percent of this travel roster are going to go overnight for the first time with LSU so and that's not a disclaimer of any kind. We're going to go beat the heck out of Florida State.
Speaker 6: But never said that. Yeah, guys, I never said that.
Speaker 5: It's not even an out of context. I can't even give a hall pass out of context.
Speaker 1: I'd love to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like a direct quote in context.
Speaker 1: And isn't he saying this to an audience.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's his coaches show at a big pub.
Speaker 1: So all these other people heard it as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It is funny though, because no one is like taking the first part of that where he's like, look, I'm not making excuses, but we are taking fifteen freshmen here, So.
Speaker 6: He's really what he's saying is this might not go our way. If we have so many freshmen, maybe this isn't going to go our way. It's funny that he kind.
Speaker 1: Of predicted that. But we're going to beat the heck out of him.
Speaker 5: AKA, two years in a row they lost him.
Speaker 1: Here is Chris Jones, the Chiefs defensive tackle, talking about money.
Speaker 11: Christy left let the team base down at all?
Speaker 2: That's the criticism.
Speaker 1: That's the only criticism I've hearn.
Speaker 2: All How that's what I got to ask? How have I let him?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 2: Just like when you had a job, you asked for a stitcher, right, you asked for a raise. Right, you're not letting anyone down. Where are you letting down for asking your boss for a raise? Right? So where you take the personal feelings out of it and you kind of get it. All I'm doing is asking for a raise.
Speaker 1: Okay, asking for a raise, but you're also hurting your team while asking for that raise. Nick Bosa got his raise, Chris Jones and we did reach out to Chris Jones and his agency if he wanted to join us, and they politely declined. But at what point does he realize that he is truly hurting his team by not being there. I know you want to get paid. I'm always curious how this happens, Like, at what point did the Niners or Nick Bosa finally go Okay? And couldn't you have done this before, like last what changed in the last week? And these guys don't want to go to camp. I mean I wouldn't is that part of it? But Chris Jones, you know, he's now holding out and he'll miss tonight's game as opposed to Nick Bosa's gonna be playing. And this is one of those where guy gets back and then he wants to show that he's worth the money, and then all of a sudden, you know, he gets a little tweak and then he can't play for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin Bright far did that for the last five years of his career. Like, ah, you know what, Oh, training camp's over. Yeah, I'm coming back.
Speaker 1: Seaton reminded me that Colorado and Nebraska in Boulder Boulder, not in Lincoln, So thank you, thank you for that correction there. Colorado was going to be an underdog at home prior to beating TCU. Now they're faiavored by I think two and a half points.
Speaker 5: That game had big ratings last week on Fox as their noon game. Oh it's going to be even bigger this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people tuning in Dan's Sun, Travis Hunter, the two way player, and then you want to see if Matt Ruhle can do anything with Nebraska. Matt Ruhle is a really good college coach. They did not do well in the NFL. But you know, guys get in their head of you know, I'm in control. Their control freaks, all of these guys are. But you have to be because you can't have you know, somebody stray a little bit, or you have to know where everybody is. You have to know what everybody's doing. And you get to the NFL, you can't have that control, and it drives them crazy. You know, urban Meyer failed miserably with Jacksonville because he thought that he could take that college atmosphere and attitude and bring it into Jacksonville. The pros are like, dude, we put up with that nonsense in college. We ain't putting up with that. Now there's you know, Vince Lombardi walking through the door.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauline, Nebraska hasn't had a ten win, ten plus win season, or ten win season in eleven years since the twenty twelve with bow Polini. I don't think there's another fan base in sports jonesing for relevancy. You know, nine ten, eight, nine ten season. That's what they're that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Well, when they had Tom Osbourne, it was every year they were getting, you know, players from all over the country. You know, he had artificially inflated offensive lineman there. They had a great running game, great quarterbacks, and they played great defense. But and then who was my guy who got fired went to Ohio University. Frank No, Frank Solich.
Speaker 5: Frank Soloch.
Speaker 1: I never should have moved on from him. I thought he was a really good coach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had a twelve win season, eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they kicked him to the curve. He was cruising. Yeah, because they're like, no, we win national titles. I'm like, maybe not, maybe not anymore. But yeah, Nebraska, and they've gone through some coaches here, and I thought, okay, Scott Frost going back home. All right, he's gonna get some players, fire him up. Now we're gone, we're gonna we're gonna do things. And then you're like, no, you're not not any good. But on the road and they could start out, oh and two they already lost to Minnesota.
Speaker 2: A right.
Speaker 1: Joe Burrow expected to play this weekend against the pesky Cleveland Browns. Here is Joe Burrow it's just a lot of hard work to try to get healthy, to try to get back. So my good spot.
Speaker 5: Week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm ready to go.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 5: I mean, we're gonna see how these next couple days play out, because you never know what these things. But I'm expecting to play.
Speaker 3: Like I said, we'll see how these next couple of days ago.
Speaker 1: He's so casual, right, he's chill, like Joe cool. Absolutely, you're Joe chill. He's like, yeah, I'm good. Yeah, I've been working hard to get to this point. I'm pretty good. I always wonder what these guys are like when they get in the huddle. You know how they are when they're talking to you in real life. But then they get in the huddle. Is Joe Burrow like demonstrative? Is he yelling? Is he's screaming? He strikes me as and what would you rather have? The quarterback who's going, all right, this is what we're gonna do. Right When Joe Montana famously pointed out the actor comedian John Candy, who was in the in the stands before they had the game winning drive against the Bengals, He's like, hey, John Candy, they're getting ready for the drive. To beat the Bengals when he threw the touchdown pass to John Taylor. Isn't that the kind of quarterback that you want where you're like, all right, hey, come here, instead of the guy going okay, all right, you gots make sure you balk okay, keep it. I keep that guy away from me. Make sure you hold onto the ball, instead of all right, here's the deal. Give me great protection here. This guy's coming off the edge. Make sure you chip him a little bit. That's all I need. And I'm not going to go to Mary Rice. So I'm gonna go to you, John right over the middle. Okay, I'm gonna look, Jerry, I'm going to you. Okay, ready break boom And he went out and did it. Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: There's such a difference though. If you're winning your chill, you're composed. If you're like Jay Cutler and you're not winning your lethargic, you know you're uninspired. It's the same demeanor and Jay Cutler and then you know, look like he was sleeping in the huddles. Good quarterback at times. Yeah, but when he didn't win, is like, is he even engage? Does he even care? But Joe Burrow is like, look at that guy's so chill. All he does is win.
Speaker 1: But I don't know if Jay Cutler cared Like I don't. I don't know how important football was to it.
Speaker 5: You know, when he's on the field, he took a lot of hits. He was a tough dude. He made the bear somewhat lively, which is tough to do at the quarterback positions. But like he would always be sitting on the bench and looks like is he asleep?
Speaker 1: He's very talented, Yeah, but I just don't know if football was important to him, like he happened to be at it. Yeah, Like there are guys who are just they're athletes who are just good at it, but they don't know. I sarily love it. It's like, oh God, I gotta go out and score twenty five a game. Yeah, I'm marv.
Speaker 3: Is it one of those? And I hate this line.
Speaker 8: If I could just pour what he has into him, he'd be the best quarterback of all time. If I gotta pour Tim Tebow in the Jay Cutler, he'd be Joe Montana times ten.
Speaker 7: Yes, Todd, I prefer the soothing voice too, but Tom Brady was very fiery and no one ever doubted in a huddle, no matter how much he's screaming and yelling, that he's got this all under control and they're ultimately going.
Speaker 3: To find a way to win anyway, whether he's quiet or yelling at some.
Speaker 1: Money, well, I think if you win, it justifies your behavior, right, So, hey, this is how Joe Joe Montana is. You know, Marino used to call you out. He would be very demonstrative. I don't know what elwave is like. But there's certain quarterbacks that they you know, they're always yelling, whereas there's some guys who were just more methodical. Just I'm gonna read this story here, all right, here's his story. There's John Candy over there. We're playing the Bengals. We're going to go down and score, and we're going to win the Super Bowl. Okay, everybody with me. But a lot of times, you know, the quarterback's voice is raised because it's so loud and you're trying to be heard there.
Speaker 4: Yes, but it doesn't that does not mix with everything else that's going on in the field, that calm demeanor. And then there's like other guys on the sidelines with sniffing salts, smelling salts, I thought you like, yeah, oh my god, like even the coaches are taking them, and you're like, man, these dudes are.
Speaker 1: All crazy once again, not bath salts that they're sniffing, but just you know, like, what's it? Yeah?
Speaker 8: What is that?
Speaker 1: Ammonia?
Speaker 6: Ama?
Speaker 1: No, have you guys ever taken a hit of that?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 9: I don't think I have you make you make that sound too?
Speaker 3: Like you ever try this?
Speaker 9: No, I'm ready to run some cable.
Speaker 1: Come on, nobody lays cable like you, dude, Mary Night, Let's go. Yeah, are you working Sunday Night Giants?
Speaker 3: Cowboys? Are you gonna wear some Dan Patrick gear? Too?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay?
Speaker 1: Which sideline are you working?
Speaker 3: Not sure yet? Okay, but I'll be there all.
Speaker 1: Right, So we'll be looking for what are you gonna wear on National TV?
Speaker 3: Sound like what? I can feel it in my plumbs.
Speaker 8: No, I don't think I'm just gonna wear something like with just the Dan Patrick Show logo on it.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, we got to pick something out for you, just so the audience can be looking for that.
Speaker 8: It's gonna be hard to there's eighteen thousand people on the sidelines. It'd be like, wait, hold on, let me, Oh, there he is. Okay, there's tiny hands.
Speaker 1: Somebody is going to find you. Yeah, Paul, how about this?
Speaker 5: If you're at the game, is it? It's who's the giants at home?
Speaker 1: Giants Cowboys?
Speaker 5: Giants cowboys this weekend? If you're watching on TV or you're at the game, we're gonna play Spot Marvin. Grab a picture and post it and see if you can spot Marbin. Okay, and the winner gets with respect bag.
Speaker 2: You know you to it.
Speaker 1: You know what? A winner gets a phone call from Todd Fritz.
Speaker 3: And I will just chat endlessly for about twenty five minutes straight.
Speaker 6: Yes, is that the winner gets that?
Speaker 1: Or the winner the winner?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 1: You do? Yeah?
Speaker 6: How's yeah?
Speaker 5: How he gets working time?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Hey, is your wife there? You gonna talk to him?
Speaker 5: Go to a lot of games?
Speaker 1: Uh, Todd? Updates on his stint. I will stint, his stint, stint is stint.
Speaker 3: It's been a six day stint with the stint.
Speaker 1: Absolutely after the break, play the day coming up next? Get refunds dot Com? How do I get it? And what kind of refund is it? I'll get to that in the moment. Innovation Refunds has been helping small businesses that qualify get a business paidroll tax refund through the Employee Retention Credit also known as the e r C. Dedicated to helping business owners navigate the process Innovation Refunds. Survey research shows a large number of small businesses who had between five and five hundred full time employees during the pandemic could be eligible for the ERC tax deduction. Innovation Refunds works with a network of independent tax professionals who will share information with them to evaluate and process your claims. Terms and conditions apply. Go to Innovation Refunds dot com just to see if you qualify. So Innovation Refunds dot Com. There's no upfront charge. They don't get paid unless you get paid. Call one eight four three Refunds one eight four three Refunds, or you can go to Innovation Refunds dot com tell them we sent you good luck. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 12: This is Steve Covino and Rich Davis, and together we are Coveno, en Rich, Caveno and Misched.
Speaker 1: Thanks Buddy, that's right.
Speaker 13: Cavino Red, Fox Sports Radio's newest hit show, heard weekdays from five to seven Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Every Coveno in Rich shows available as a podcasts. Just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe from such a rockin dude.
Speaker 13: The show features our unique take on sports, injected with some fun, humor and relatability.
Speaker 12: Listen to Covino Owner at five days a week on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 11: Rich give me here, hell yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: The play of the day.
Speaker 9: Play this is.
Speaker 12: The play of the day.
Speaker 14: Check this out to two to Crawford swinging a well hit ball deep the right field, way back in Goodbye Baseball.
Speaker 1: Jay B. Crawford.
Speaker 14: It's a three run home run here at the top of the fourth and it's now the Mariners six and the Reds one.
Speaker 1: Courtesy of the Mariners Radio Network JP. Crawford has fifteen home runs this season, matching his total from the previous two seasons combined Play of the Day, brought to you by the great folks at Panini. Hottest Rookies' Biggest Superstars, the all time greats. Only one place to collect them all, Panini Trading Cards, the official trading cards of this program. Starter Continue collection now Canadiamerica dot net. All right, Todd, Todd's at home today, joining us via zoom, and we have a stint update. You had kidney stones and they put a stint into your stint. Yeah, so it's put a hose in there, and you said that you were in pain the last couple of days. You were going to ask the doctor if she would take it out. Now previous previous procedures. Your wife actually pulled the stint out of your.
Speaker 3: On the on at least one occasion she pulled the string and pulled it out.
Speaker 4: Not recommended, by the way, No, it's not not recommend No, Okay, have an update on the stent.
Speaker 7: So I've been chatting back and forth through the app, the heart app or whatever it is, the health app. About seven to ten days is what the urologist said, was where I can get this taken out?
Speaker 3: Today's day six.
Speaker 7: They were looking at trying to do something Friday so I can salvage the weekend and not be in pain all weekend. There was no POINTMS for Friday, so I thought I was gonna be stuck with it until next week. I get a note yesterday afternoon that they can fit me in somewhere in Lovely Avon, Connecticut. I have a two thirty Eastern time appointment to get this stent taken out today in time to enjoy Opening Night without having urine pain when I go.
Speaker 5: To the restaurant, right pain, all right, yeah, American Connects Health.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thirty.
Speaker 3: The stent's coming out. Let's go.
Speaker 6: You're supposed to go to the dentist. Tooth tooth thirty.
Speaker 3: Well, exceptionally good mood A bit.
Speaker 1: I'm now I could tell im I'm happy for you and your family, and I.
Speaker 6: Will no longer have a urine paint.
Speaker 3: For sure. It was gonna be Monday or Tuesday of next week, but now it's today.
Speaker 1: Great, I'm happy. Yes, alright, Thank you to James in North Carolina.
Speaker 11: Hi, James, Hey Dan Uh. You know, first off, speedy recovery the fretzy. But yesterday it was a big day for me. I did not realize that that Todd's daughter was a demon deacon. And uh, you know, I'm a lifelong die hard season tickets on the grassy heel. So what I'm here to do is extend an invite out to Todd. Have you sit down on a nice, cool Carolina fall evening, kick back on a blanket on the heel, watch some football, have a couple of deacon brews, and see where that leads us.
Speaker 3: Well that sounds very romantic.
Speaker 1: Yeah it does. I'm gonna apply you with some alcohol and see where it leads us. James and you on a blanket.
Speaker 3: They'll got to ask me twice.
Speaker 1: Once you get your stint out.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, hey, all systems gone.
Speaker 1: It is good time for you.
Speaker 3: Everything's working again. Let's come get that blanket, get that wake.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauline, speaking of tailgating, So the Colorado game at home this weekend, that's noon eastern kickoff? Is that correct? Would that be ten am Colorado time? I believe, so Mountain time?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? How do you tailgate for a ten am football game?
Speaker 1: Easy?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I know, but like act, it's not that easy.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but you go to brunch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but not at I don't go to brunch at six forty five in the morning.
Speaker 1: No, you're going to brunch at ten o'clock.
Speaker 5: These Colorado fans are going to be pumped up. That's that's an early tailgate.
Speaker 1: I've said twelve is even if you're still look at it as you're having brunch at nine am. That people do that on Sunday every Sunday.
Speaker 5: That's not enough time to tail gate. That's three hours if you start at seven.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're starting at nine.
Speaker 5: No, out there at the game starts at ten kickoff.
Speaker 1: And you're having brunch at eight, You're you're having brunch at eight o'clock.
Speaker 5: That's an early tailgate.
Speaker 6: Yeah. It is something fun about that though.
Speaker 4: Out there, like you're tailgate with like eggs and bacon and beers, some bloody Mary's going heck yet.
Speaker 5: I hate day drinking, but tailgate drinking is different.
Speaker 1: I hate it when after you know, then I take a nap and then you wake up and you're like, god, I feel horrible, like.
Speaker 5: A waste of beer. You mean, like you didn't play through. That's a waste of beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I need my nap. Yeah, I gotta have a nap every day. Nap Tom that's what. That's what day drinking's perfect for. You're setting up a hardcore nap.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 5: I worry about some of these Colorado kids though. They haven't been relevant in a while football wise, and they may go too hard too early, yeah, and not make it till the game.
Speaker 1: All right, Matt in Dayton, Hi, Matt, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey? Dan?
Speaker 15: Five ten are getting harder pounds.
Speaker 1: Eh.
Speaker 15: I just wanted to tell you guys how much I love your show. Been listening to you guys for a long time, calling them a couple of times, but well, everybody is changing on the other stations. You guys stay the same, and it's something worth having. And I just want to tell Fritz I would love that probably if I spot Marvin this weekend, they.
Speaker 6: Call from the Toddler.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, so you you'd rather have one from Marvin? Is that what you said?
Speaker 11: Matt?
Speaker 15: No, no, no, I was saying, I would enjoy a call from from Fritz.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Well if.
Speaker 15: I spot Marvin this weekend, Oh okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well maybe Fritzy can call you during the commercial break here, Matt, not doing anything? I mean, you're at home, You're not doing anything.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 7: I'm sitting here. I'm actually in my underwear. Not that you're asked, but you can only see me from the Lway jersey up. So I figured let me be expressed.
Speaker 1: Some pants on.
Speaker 3: Really, Yes, there's nobody here.
Speaker 7: I got socks and my Hanes on in my Lway jersey and it's Thursday.
Speaker 3: I'm free flowing before I get to stint out. Let me have my day.
Speaker 1: Who were you talking to during the commercial break? Were you talking to somebody?
Speaker 7: My wife was off to the side because she's the technical whiz. She was very concerned that something was in today right now. No, she's upstairs resting. The kids are in college at Syracuse and wakeful. I didn't shameless plug. Thanks so no, so yes, So, I don't know who might try to impress.
Speaker 1: I'm it's not impress.
Speaker 3: Is it unprofessional?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 7: Unprofessional that I'm just wearing underwear impressorbody announced it on national radio and TV on your show that I'm not wearing.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about this? Take off your underware?
Speaker 3: Bear touch on the chair?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Why never be able to sell this.
Speaker 3: We'll be able to sell this chair on eBay later if I do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, I mean, wearing sweatpants is borderline because that's that's almost like but not even for a pair of pants on for work.
Speaker 3: But they're not briefs that boxer shorts. It's not like I'm wearing a thong or something that's covering what.
Speaker 1: It means to go a thong a thong.
Speaker 3: I'm very comfortable. It's very airy. Back to you in the studio.
Speaker 1: Thank you Todd. One hour in the books. Two more to go that spot, Thank you Todd, Thank you Todd. One more items. We close out our one. It's here opening night. Are you ready? Draftking sports Book and Officials, sports betting partner of the NFL, is hooking up new customers with a can't missoffer to celebrate. Place your first five dollars NFL bet and score two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly. So everybody gets hooked up here with game day greatness. All customers could take advantage of two new offers every single game day this September. Don't wait until kickoff. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app now use the promo code Patrick. New customers get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five dollars, so the promo code is Patrick only. On DraftKings sports book, the crown is yours Fritzi.
Speaker 7: Twenty one and over in most eligible states, but age varies by jurisdiction. Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven to seven eight hope and Y or.
Speaker 3: Text hope and Y four six seven three sixty nine.
Speaker 7: Bonus issued is free bets one early win token issued at Opton moneyline bets only. Depositive wagering restrictions apply. Eligibility in terms of DraftKings dot com slash football terms