Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on.
Speaker 1: These are our stories done done. Hello, Hello, Hello, Welcome to That's Messed Up n SVU podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Kara Clank and I'm.
Speaker 2: Liza Traeger, and every week we talk about an episode of SVU, the true crime it's based on, and we interview an incredible guest from the episode.
Speaker 1: Your hellos hellos are very Broadway. Oh I thought I was doing RuPaul. Oh Hello, Hello, Hello.
Speaker 3: Oh you're right. Oh God, I'm a fraud. I'm a fraud. Listen, we have huge news for everybody.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest things that's ever happened in my life happened at your back.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, your daughter's birthday party. Okay, what happened?
Speaker 2: The bounce house deflated with children inside, and they were screaming like it was the Titanic. It was fully their titan But we're laughing because it's we know they're safe. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen. But I looked in the screams on their face.
Speaker 1: They were terrified, and it's literally just like the hose came apart from you know, the air and the cat just the air supply came apart from the actual bounce house. The worst thing that happens is that a bounce house gently folds down on you. But these children were like in a burning building in their minds. They were like, nah, of course I got a bounce house for this party that had five children on it, because we're still sort of we're still in a pandemic. So this was like all vaccinated and then just a few kids and there were a couple of kids in the bounce house at the time, and it was it was really funny.
Speaker 3: My husband, have you ever seen the movie Force Majeure, Like.
Speaker 1: They just it's a it's a famous movie, and then they recently remade it with Julie Alois Dreyvis and Will Ferrell. It's basically like at the beginning of the movie, there's an avalanche and the guy and Will Ferrell's character just saves himself. He doesn't even look at what his kids and wife are doing. And then the rest of the movie is like her dealing with the fact that her husband just didn't I had that moment with my husband because he just watched the Bounce House to flat.
Speaker 3: And I go do something, like, go help do something.
Speaker 1: I'm like eight months pregnant. I'm not going to fucking save the Bounce House. And I was like, I can't believe you didn't do anything. He's like, they're fine. I'm like, you're right, they are. It's not the same as an all.
Speaker 2: But their screaming faces will always hopefully be emblazed to my memory because and.
Speaker 1: Then of course we hooked it back up and they were back in it in two seconds, bouncing around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: And then obviously you know, I came home the same day Stabler came home. Yeah, so we couldn't talk about it. We've gotten all your messages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you may have seen.
Speaker 1: Our live We have a live up from what we thought we would go live a bunch of times during commercials, but then we just got really wrapped up in the episode and it was like, I think it was also too much.
Speaker 2: But then also I had not drank or smoked weed in four or five months, and so I had two manhattans and a joint, and.
Speaker 1: I was, yeah, a lot of a lot of you noticed a lot of you wrote in and were like, how high is Lisa right now?
Speaker 2: I remember I was, yeah, I had a great night, and honestly, instead of making me want to drink and smoke more and made me be like I should take more breaks because then.
Speaker 1: You just get lit.
Speaker 2: It was really fun. But I've been getting high every day since i've been back.
Speaker 3: Well what do you think?
Speaker 1: I mean? I liked the episode. I liked the SVU episode Organized Crime. I'm gonna give it a shot. I mean, it seems like it's a very different animal because it's more of like a multi episode arc kind of.
Speaker 3: Dylan McDermott is a crime boss.
Speaker 2: I don't buy it. I just the whole thing is so silly to me. I don't of course I will watch.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna watch it. I'm gonna watch it.
Speaker 1: But with the SVU, like I think we all I don't know, you guys can correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you will. I think we all kind of thought he was like coming back to SVU and like he's not. You guys like he just came back for that episode. I bet he'll dip in. But I think a lot of people were like, oh, he's coming back to SVU. They're gonna get together and all this stuff, and it's like, I don't know if that's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: No, it was a promotional tool. Yeah, you guys.
Speaker 2: This wasn't some creative thing or a gift to us. They just needed people to watch organized crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll probably be like at least like everuple a couple of episodes where the Mafia and.
Speaker 3: Like or whatever, the mob organized crime unit.
Speaker 1: It's the same way as they they crisscross with vice, they crisscross with like aland security. I mean, how many times does Chicago and New York have to coordinate an investigation together? I ask you, But I think it's it's I would really love.
Speaker 3: To know what was in that letter.
Speaker 2: I get speech, so I would like to say I like that Benson got to stand up for herself and be like you fucked up, dude. You I saw you every single day for a decade and you just leave with nothing. Like I didn't realize how much that would suck her up because that episode where she cries, I'm like, all right, relax, and now I'm like, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is traumatizing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like this person that you consider your best friend you would trust your life with them, just stops talking.
Speaker 1: To you because you've had friends leave jobs before that you were on with them and you still talk, you still get together and get a drink.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, or at least on the internet. Yeah, do you think they're Facebook friends? But so I like that she was able to call him out and stand up for herself and like that was good. But I was like disappointed that Stabler has learned nothing, not one bit of therapy, not one moment of not wanting to violently.
Speaker 3: And instead of learning to go in to therapy, he was learning Italian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he speaks Italian, but he does not speak mental health or and Hannah did research and there is Italian liaisons. I believe Hannah, but I just think it's like nuts that they would just take a guy who doesn't speak Italian and has no knowledge of Italy and just be like you're our guy in Rome now, Like it just doesn't make sense to.
Speaker 2: Me, but I'll let it slide. Yeah, I mean I liked seeing the kids. I wish Kathy wasn't dead. I mean, I don't know what to say. I was, yeah, come for me. I was like I was into their acting, like Obviously I loved seeing them together, but I was just disappointed.
Speaker 1: At his growth when they first had them like meet up with each other and they you're just like, go, okay, go ahead hug, Like are you gonna hug each other?
Speaker 3: And they just like didn't. That was tense. Yeah, but I like that the kids were happy to see her too.
Speaker 1: Somebody wrote into our Instagram and goes, I can't believe they used all the same kids. I'm like, they did not use all the same kids. They've completely been recast. Two of the actors are back. Dickie and Kathleen are the same actors, but Maureen's been recast. Elizabeth, who was unseen as a child, has fully been recast, and same with Eli, because Eli was Elliott.
Speaker 3: Junior was just like a baby. I think when he was on that sh I also think.
Speaker 2: These fans are sickos when they're like, great, Kathy's dead, you guys, fuck, They're just like thrilled this woman died so they can get their job. I was sad Kathy died. I was really sad Kathy died. Yeah, she didn't even get to like, you know, I don't. I just wanted her to retire with it have a good life at the end, like relax.
Speaker 1: But you know what, at least she got to spend her last year's living in Rome. I mean she probably had it. She was living in Queen's before that. No offense to Queen's, but Queen's to Rome, that's an upgrade.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I cannot believe you're glassing over Dicky's beard. Oh you so traumatized by that? Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 1: I think Dicky's beard is a fuck you to Stabler Like they've always had, you know, tension, the two of them, and I think he's just like, look at me now, Dad, I'm a man.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm looking too far into it. Do you have any thoughts on the beard?
Speaker 2: I don't care. I honestly, I wish I cared. No, I don't know if I love a beard that thick. It seemed unkempt. Yeah, unkempt is a great word. But I don't have much other news except I mean, I have started a whole new life in a different state.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 2: But also I have been sadly rewatching girls next door. And I'm in the middle of season four about the Playboy mansion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird. I have told you that I already. I watched it as it was on. I think I've seen every episode. It's a very weird part of mine because that doesn't seem like kind of show I would watch. And I've seen all of our friends have watched it too. I think at the time it was just like that was an intriguing show. Anyway, this is all to say, please join us for our podcast about the Girls next Door.
Speaker 3: It's a spin off. We're going to be reviewing every episode of NU. We're just joking.
Speaker 2: He looked at me with such disappointment that I brought that up. But I and then I have nothing else to add. I don't even have a fun story with it. I'm just like, I watch that.
Speaker 1: I think that's where my disappointment came. Yeah, it's like, Lisa, I think you know how to finish a deal. But okay, let's jump into our episode because we have a really good one today, and it's a little bit of a long one, but it's a good ee So stay tuned, all right, everybody.
Speaker 3: Let's dive in.
Speaker 1: This is season nineteen, a more recent baby episode eight, and the episode is called Intent. I'm just gonna be upfront, up top. I am not a big fan of a post toddler Noah. Okay, Noah as a baby is adorable and I love I wanted him to just stay that age forever. When they time jump to Noah being a curly haired, little mouth talkbacker, I don't like it.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if I'm obsessed with Noah, but I definitely do not hate him on the level of hate.
Speaker 1: Is a strong Hate is a strong word. I would never say you hate children. I hate children. No, I don't like I just don't. He doesn't do anything for me, Like I roll my eyes at all his parts of the show. And I think, also, it's like too much. There's so much angst for Olivia in there. It's like she gets enough of it at work. Can't hurt, Like a life with her son just be a little bit easy. It's just it's annoying for me anyway.
Speaker 3: Well for me, it's the opposite. I'm like, this is such a well behaved little kid, Like, no kid is this behavior? Are you kidding?
Speaker 1: Maybe this episode later he is such a little punk. He talks back to her, he tries to run across the street. She grabs his arm. She ends up getting a fucking child services like investigation because she bruised his arm trying to save him from getting hit by a cab and he's like, whatever, Mom, I don't want to do that. Likes he's like a punk at age seven already, and I don't like it. All right, all right, I think he needs Olivia to show him somewhre disappointed.
Speaker 3: But we need to do a disclaimer that you love the actor.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the little boy is so cute. He's like a cut little hip hop Dan, sir, nothing wrong with the actor. I'm talking about Noah anyway. And also I understand he's been through some hard times. The first year of his life wasn't great. But I think Olivia's drying really hard. I think I'm looking at it from Olivia's point of view. She's trying really hard to give him a great life, and he's being a little bit of a of a bee. Okay, So we open on Noah walking to school with his grandmother. She aka teen icon turned full grown actress and star Brookshields.
Speaker 3: Who and our first female eyebrow icon that we discussed.
Speaker 1: Yes from the female side of the eyebrow School of Fame. It is Brookshields, and I believe that Brookshields and Marishka are good friends in real life, and that she was like begging her to do this part and was like, you're going to play a grandma and she was like okay, which I think if we all watch the Paley Center special, we saw that little tidbit, so she we see kind of like the dynamic forming of how they're sort of trying to like not co parent, but like form sort of a family structure together. Olivia walks up to Shila and Noah. She's like inviting Sheila to dinner. She can't make it, but like they're they're they're becoming this cute little family, and then Noah drops the bomb as they walk away and goes, I wish I got to meet Ellie. And as you can remember if you're or maybe you don't, if you don't watch the show, that's fine. Ellie is Noah's by iological mom, who was a had drug problems and was a sex worker and ended up being killed by Noah's biological father in a very gruesome in a very gruesome episode which we will we will probably cover another time.
Speaker 2: And it's like season long drama because she got murdered one episode and then we don't meet the.
Speaker 3: Boss of the gang for seasons, I feel, right, we think.
Speaker 1: That we kind of think the father's out of the picture, and then he's back. It's very traumatic for you know, Olivia's roller coaster of trying to become a mother. So Olivia when he mentions Ellie, Olivia gets that sort of like punched in the gut look where her mouth is like slightly agape and she's got her eyes are kind of darting, so we get that signature Benson gut punch look. And then we cut to two teen girls in a pharmacy and they're just like looking for a shampoo called pink Ice. But then it turns out there looking for blue Glacier, which to me sounds like an axe body spray sent But go off, girls, you get what you want. They are devoteys of a social media influencer named Katie Miller, who has a website called Katie's Clatch that we can see on the phone. It has two hundred and thirteen thousand followers, not bad, lots of pics of her looking, sexy, bikini shots, et cetera. Now we're sort of cutting back and forth with two scenes. The next scene is Katie, the actual influencer, in a faux for a jacket, like giggling at her phone up books this sort of jacked dude with like a big neck tattoo. There's cheesy pop music playing, so we're getting the vibe that this is like a cute little date that they're meeting up and he's like, how is Argentina? And she's like, I think you mean Pensacola, which at the time I was like, what kind of moron confuses Argentina with Pensacola. But as it keeps going, you kind of realize why that mistake happened.
Speaker 2: And I would like to mention that this guy is played by Steve Howie, who I watched a lot of Shameless, and he is I think one of the top honks in the world.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm so glad you brought that up because I forgot to look up who he was, So he's from Shame. I'm obsessed with him.
Speaker 1: That's his main role because I've seen him in other stuff, but I feel like that's his main big thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he plays like a lovable idiot, like he's a bar He owns the Bar. I loved Shameless, but then I always hate when things become basically they wouldn't let Lip go to college and they kicked him out, and I'm like, if you're not letting Lip go to college, I'm done with the show, Like can you just give him a fucking break?
Speaker 3: Sorry if this sounds insane to people that don't watch it, but Steve Howie was also they just got divorced, but he was married to Sarah Shahi, who was a very sexy character in The l Word, and her and Kate Mennig my one of my top celebrity crushes. They had like the most insane sex scenes ever, so and they had a cute kids. So I've been I've been obsessed with Steve Howie for a very long time. So I was like, very exciting.
Speaker 1: I let you do the descripting because I would not have known anything about Steve Cowie.
Speaker 2: He was the lead in Riba also, I think you're missing he got a start as one of the leads.
Speaker 3: And hey, any friend of Riba as a friend of mine, and that's where he met Sarah.
Speaker 2: Sarah was doing a guest star on that show and they met on the set of fucking Reba.
Speaker 3: Okay, and I love Riba because she likes corn dogs and I that I love.
Speaker 1: We could do a separate podcast just talking about why have you seen all the photos of Riba with corn dogs?
Speaker 2: Riba is on private jets after her show's eating corn dogs all the time.
Speaker 3: We will post some of these on our Instagram.
Speaker 1: Do you worry?
Speaker 3: We will get these. We will get these to the world. Okay.
Speaker 1: So basically now I want to call him Steve Howie, but we don't know the guy's name yet, the jacked guy. He is like, how about we just go straight to my house and get to know each other, and she's like, straight home on a first date, you should buy me a meal first, which I kind of like agree with, and then she's like, jkjk, let's just go back to your place. So she's fully fine with that idea. Now we're back to the Blue Glacier teens. They get an alert on their phone, which is Katie posting to her blae being like first date hunk with a range Rover a big red one, wish me luck. Okay, so the girls are like gagged that Katie has such a cool day, and they're like he has a range drover.
Speaker 3: Stevie has a bicycle, and then her friend.
Speaker 1: Goes, broom him. What the fuck is broom him? I think I meant to look this up on Urban Dictionary.
Speaker 3: That is SVU.
Speaker 1: That is like some fifty five year old SVU writer being like, I think my daughter says broom him.
Speaker 3: Let's try that, Like you know, it's like it did not make it at e. So my ideas are like sweep someone off the feet.
Speaker 2: And then also like the other thing I'm thinking is probably not it Urban dictionary is saying to broom is to get rid of something.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it exists umber urban Dictionary. Maybe I'm the fifty five year old writer who doesn't know what the uh what the vernacular is.
Speaker 3: But I've never heard that.
Speaker 1: I've never seen anybody write that on And why would you sweep them away?
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you want to bring him closer? No, she's saying broom her boyfriend that has the bicycle.
Speaker 1: She's like, get rid of this guy with the bicycle. Oh yeah, we're like the old yeah no, no, okay. So then now we're at this guy's place. The ceilings are I'm not even shooting you fifty feet tall, like the apartment of six City views some huge, large empty vases. I don't know what's supposed to go in there. They're having a champagne toast. She snaps the picture of just their hands holding the glasses and is like, fans love this cryptic stuff. Hashtag who is the hand? So not the best hashtag I've ever heard, but okay. We find out he's some kind of wrestler or mma fighter. He has all these championship belts. He goes in for a kiss.
Speaker 3: She so she wants to take it slow.
Speaker 1: He immediately like viciously attacks her, Like this is actually like a pretty I remember watching this when this episode came on and being like, holy shit, this is like a lot of screaming and like very it's very it's like a traumatic scene. His name we find out is Andy because she's like Andy, no stop. And then he is going just attacking her, jumping on her, and then we cut to her walking the streets barefoot, looking completely traumatized.
Speaker 3: A guy with a dog asked if she's okay, and she says she's been raped.
Speaker 1: Then Rollin's and Finn are at the hospital trying to get her statement, and when they go to approach her.
Speaker 3: She's just like, I wasn't raped.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're talking about, Like, get this through your skulls, like I wasn't raped. Gotta go by, And then we're into the credits. So now we're at the top of act one. We've got the full like briefing where the show kind of like, lets you know, what's the lay of the land. Katie Miller is a social media celeb Instagram, YouTube, Snap and then somebody goes, thank you Kim Kardashian. She has two hundred and thirteen thousand followers. As a girl, she's hardly a Kim Kardashian, but I get that they want to try to seem like they know what's up. And then I think it's Kreesy goes, sure, make mock influencers are the voice.
Speaker 3: Of gen Z make mock.
Speaker 1: I'm such a whatever. I know there's a lot of Korezi lovers out there. He's just funny to me. So now we're back on Blue Glacier shampoo. This is like a shampoo that Katie. I think you missed something that is obviously very important to me. Finn admits that he loves porn, kind of oh, I don't, Finn. Finn is, well, of course you didn't.
Speaker 3: I sure did. It's my number one note no, but Finn is like, why would you go on social media? Porn is free? And then oh, yeah, yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then we're talking about the blue Glacier shampoo, like Cariesie's sister uses it, so obviously we can. We're kind of getting the idea that, like, Katie makes money off of doing sponsorships and being a big celeb online. They've come across the champagne picture. Immediately Rollins goes looks like Tribeca. I'm like, from the background of the picture, you can pinpoint that that's like a three hundred and sixty degree view of the city. You could see any I don't know, Okay, she knows it's Tribeca. That's also where the UNI picked her up, so that makes sense. So they're like, what time happened between the time she disclosed and when Finn and Rollins showed up. So they're on their way to go to Katie's apartment and question her kind of try to follow up with her. Essentially, Rollins in live have a quick chat about her family troubles, with Sheila and Olivia's kind of it's like one of these rare, like sort of vulnerable moments with Olivia where she's like, doesn't She's like, I don't have a regular family life, and it just would be nice to feel like someone has my back. And Rollins is like the squad, does you know? But I think Olivia is like, yeah, I know, I just need a little bit more than that in my real life.
Speaker 3: And you're unstable. Rollin's cough cough, Yeah, you've got my back. When there's not a big wrestling match, you've got a bet on going on.
Speaker 1: So Katie comes to the door in a Beanie calls Benson a big gun, like immediately recognizes her rank, which I feel like I never would like they're like, this is Lieu tenant Benson. I'd be like, okay, like I don't know, I don't think I would know the ranks. But she like immediate is like, Okay, you're the big guy. I got it. She lives in this nice place and by herself because she posts about the realtor online and she talks about how she's working her way through school. She sends money to her family, pays her own way, so you're kind of getting the idea like that you're supposed to like this person because she's even the she's posting, you know, which, I don't have a problem with anybody posting sexy picks, but I think the show sometimes will be like they slept shame a tiny bit, I think without knowing it, so they're they're like, oh, she does post all these racy sexy picks, but it's to pay for her family and her way through school, so it's actually okay. Benson finds a picture of Katie and Andy together and is like, who's the guy with the tattoos? This all happens really quickly. Benson does a lot of real quick investigating here and is like, who's the guy with the tattoos?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Just an MMA fighter. Rollins is like, not just an m fighter, that's the monster. That's the guy's nickname or as a MMA fighter. Benson puts it all together as like, you posted a picture of a guy with tattoos. This guy has tattoos, so did the monster rape you? And Katie's like, my lawyer says, I don't have to talk to you, and he's gonna help me protect my career, and she does not want to move forward with.
Speaker 2: This well, and then Benson and Rollins are so taken aback, like you already have a lawyer, like what do you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the kind of quickly. Yeah, that moved really quickly. So now Finn and Korea are in the office of this lawyer. His name is alt Schuler, and he's like he's a you could tell he's.
Speaker 3: A deadbeat lawyer.
Speaker 1: His blinds are all fucked up, like the blinds behind him are completely askew. Nobody in a nice law firm has bad blinds. I'm just saying he's no Gloria Allread. He denies even knowing who Katie is, which we can't tell if he's just being sketchy or he doesn't know her. But they figure that Katie was just kind of like in the er waiting to be examined or and just started googling lawyers, and they think that they think Google works alphabetically or something, and then that's why she ended up with Alt Schuler.
Speaker 3: That's not how it works.
Speaker 1: It's not the Yellow Pages, but careesy a little shady goes. I doubt she's majoring in brain surgery.
Speaker 3: That's shocking. Okay, I'll use Sonny lovers.
Speaker 1: That's kind of rude, just saying, don't assume good just because a girl is paying her way through school with social media, that she's a dumb dumb liv gets a call that Andy aka the Monster, wants to talk to the cops right away, so she redirects Finn and Careesi to the gym where they show up and Andy's just like pummeling some guy, and we meet Sean Tompkins, Andy's lawyer slash manager, and he's like, my guy's got twenty million dollar fight on the line, and this wackadoodle chicks got him spun. So we're already not thinking that Sean Tompkins is a very sympathetic man. And Andy's explaining the date and saying that and Sean calls her an internet whore, which is he's not a good guy. So he shows the text he got from Katie, this recent text he got that says pay me ten thousand dollars or I'll tell the cops you rate me. So he's saying we met at a fight a few months ago. She commented on my fan page.
Speaker 3: I liked what I saw.
Speaker 1: I sent her my private number. We started texting. We both like Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash. That's a red flag. That doesn't seem like the kind of music that Katie listens to. I'm judging a book by its covered completely right now. But I know Johnny Cash. I don't even I had to google Whalen Jennings. I mean, it's like old Americana music. Like, I don't think it's the kind of thing Katie's blaring while she's taking bikini shots for her Instagram. But I could be wrong.
Speaker 3: People contain multitudes.
Speaker 1: So apparently over while they were texting, they really connected. They talked about being shy and getting picked on, and she says in these text messages that she gets turned on watching him fight, sends racy selfies to him, and says that she has a rape fantasy, basically that she wants him to rape her. So Rollins knows a lot about the monster. She obviously dabbles in mma.
Speaker 3: Like she's a guy's gal. She's a guy's gal.
Speaker 1: She knows that he has twenty eight first round knockouts, so she knows all this stuff. And she also comes up with a great point, which it kind of bumped me too, like it's weird that she would only ask for ten k from a guy who's worth millions of dollars, Like I feel like you'd ask for six figures.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, once you saw that penhouse. That penhouse is a twenty million dollar apartment, right.
Speaker 1: Like ten k is Like I'm sure that he spends ten k on a weekend, you know, just like going out, So that's not right.
Speaker 2: I also needed to add that the makeup department did an amazing job on Steve's wrestling ears, because that's not what his ears look like in his hot and while oh they give him like.
Speaker 3: Those messed up ears.
Speaker 1: They gave him fake fucking ears. Oh snap good. Yeah, Lisa, I don't really don't. I just the whole wrestling ear thing.
Speaker 3: I wrestling ears that grosses me out. It's honestly really hard to look at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's and so that's why how I knew it was fake, because Steve's Steve's never disgusted me before, you know.
Speaker 1: Benson Uh suggests that the Monster texts back Katie and say come get the money, and that if she comes to the get the money, she's a felon and if she doesn't, we'll get we'll get Monster with rape one and then Rollins walks.
Speaker 3: Away and goes, it's the monster.
Speaker 1: Just FYI, like, and Olivia if you have to go back and watch the episode, because Olivia's face that they leave her on is like, who the fuck cares?
Speaker 3: Rolins like, no one cares that it's the monster. Just go get me my conviction.
Speaker 1: So monster is h In the next scene, sitting at a park with the money, like just with a huge water cash and an envelope.
Speaker 3: Cops her on a looseboy hat and at least favorite kind of hat.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, newsboy hat, and the cops are like everywhere on the lookout, they spot Katie. She sees Andy and start immediately looks terrified and starts to run, so they grab her and she's like, what's going on. In interrogation, she explains that this is a real laugh for me, that she had an interview for a modeling gig and that a rep for Chanelle asks to meet her there at Rollins goes at Stuyvesant Park at one pm on a Sunday, and it's like, great point, Rollins, great fucking point. Chanelle is not doing business in parks. I have to tell you, like, I'm not I'm not so fashioned. Savvy, But I don't think that Chanelle or Gucci's going to hit you up and be like meet me at a hotdog vendor on Broadway at thirty fourth, Like it's just.
Speaker 3: Not going to happen.
Speaker 1: So she shows the detectives her phone. There is a text from somebody saying that there are this Chanelle rep or whatever. There's also messages from the monster that say, what the hell happened? If you tell anyone, I'll tell everyone what a slut you are and no one will believe you. So Katie now finally admits that Andy did rape her, Like she's now finally, like, you know, telling the cops basically what we've known is true the whole time. At the precinct, we obviously find out that I think Carreese called Chanel and they've never heard of Katie. And I just love the idea. Hey, Chanelle, it's me Dominic CARESI people call me Sonny, just wondering did you guys make a plan to meet a girl named Katie in the park at some.
Speaker 3: Point on Sunday?
Speaker 1: Like I just can't. I love imagining how that call went down. And so obviously we find out that's fake and the text with the lawyer are fake too, so the lawyer didn't actually know Katie at all. They were like Katie was texting with like a fake person. So they basically figure out the crux of the entire episode is that there's a third party involved, not only a catfish, but a double catfish. Someone is posing as the Monster to Katie and as Katie to the Monster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they point out that, like the text on Katie's phone make her seem like a beautiful angel in him like a perverted creep. Yeah, on his phone, she's like a dirt, prety slat and he's like this nice guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Something's wild, right, So it's just they can tell something's up here. They get the computer crimes guys to check the IP address. We get a classic walk and talk with Coffee with Barba and Benson, and he explains to Live that if they want to go after a third party for accomplice to rape, that means Monster has to be convicted of rape. Like, you can't convict somebody of being an accomplice to a crime that doesn't exist, which is kind of crazy, but that's true.
Speaker 3: I get why that's true. So they offer Monster a deal.
Speaker 1: They offer him rape three, which is a non violent e felony, no jail time, one year probation. They explain the whole situation to him and his manager. The manager's like, why would he do this? You guys are never going to be able to get him on rape like, and they basically explain the catfisher and they say, if you don't cop to this, it's like Katie's rape never happened.
Speaker 3: And then they do something, Liza, I'm dying for your opinion on this.
Speaker 1: They do something to up the stakes because Andy seems very apologetic, but he doesn't seem like he's going to take the deal. And then Katie reveals she was a virgin when he attacked her. And I don't know why that makes a difference.
Speaker 2: Well, I think rape is rape, no matter if you're a virgin or not a virgin. But I think to a man like the monster, that matters.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I think it's a normal person who doesn't understand that the concept of virginity is not real and it's created by men to put worth on a pussy and like that's all your worth or whatever, like it's not a real thing. But most people think of virginity as a very coveted thing. So I think that's gonna play his heartstrings a little bit. And it mistakes in the show. I'm sure there's people that are watching that are like.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, that's even worse.
Speaker 2: But also I thought you were going to ask my opinion where about how they would bring her in to manipulate him in a way like they would never have them meet.
Speaker 3: I think in real life that's true too.
Speaker 1: That's true too, like having them meet and be like, are you going to take this deal and prove that a rape happened? Look in her eyes, look in her eyes? Are you going to say no to this deal? Like it just doesn't But he is a.
Speaker 2: Good guy and he's not a rapist, and that's the thing, Like, right, he would not have raped And I think he does feel terrible.
Speaker 3: I think he feels terrible. Sure, I'm sure he feels terrible.
Speaker 1: I think in real life, nobody's gonna give up their multimillion dollar MMA career for this And he'd probably just like offer to give her some kind of money if this was real, real world.
Speaker 3: But we can move on. He agrees to take the deal. Steve how he's a great guy.
Speaker 1: Uh and uh.
Speaker 3: Lisa knew that from the beginning, and now they can go after the cat fisher.
Speaker 1: So at the top of act two, they track the catfisher to West Virginia, And wouldn't you know that is where my husband is from. So of course I googled Magsville to see if it's real or not. It's like a tiny, tiny town in West Virginia. It's about two hours from where my husband grew up. He grew up in Morgantown, which is actually a city it has to call a big university, and it's like it's near Pittsburgh. It's really not what you kind of think of when you think of West Virginia. And West Virginia is a beautiful, beautiful state that is just filled with a lot of silly people.
Speaker 2: I also loved when Benson's like, all right, book first class tickets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Garsy goes, oh really, and then she goes, no, fuck, I did write LOL about that one.
Speaker 1: And then it's like Finn, you're writing Shotgun and he's like, oh no, no, I'm allergic to West Virginia, which I get.
Speaker 3: And then so now Rollins has to go. So now this is like for all the release.
Speaker 1: He fans out there, all the people that ship this relationship between Rollins and Creesy. We're getting them on a road trip to West Virginia together. The sexual moment you've all been waiting for now we get. We go back to like Olivia. We're at Olivia's apartment having like a tense moment with Sheila and Olivia. I don't really want to dwell on this because I just don't. It's not really that big of a deal. Like she's like, I'm mad at you for say, bringing up Ellie and she's like, I'm so sorry. I spoke without thinking I'm really sorry. So they work it out kind of immediately and it's a quick moment.
Speaker 3: The one thing I do love.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is this is the one she's cutting green apples. Yeah, And I don't know if it's ASMR or what. Like I could watch Brookshields chopp an Apple for hours, Like I was very obsessed with what was happening.
Speaker 1: And they end that moment kind of being like, is it okay if I buy Noah a coat? And then that's like we think that she's going to buy Noah a coat. I don't know why no it doesn't have a fucking cod He lives in New York City. But okay, so now we're in West Virginia and the cops are getting the arriving to the house with the with a local officer. There's an old lady on oxygen watching TV like, I mean, I can only imagine what kind of fever dream she thought she was going through when two new NYPD officers walked into her house, Like, I mean, like, that's got to just feel like you're absolutely hallucinating.
Speaker 3: She calls to Heather and she's like Heather, and Heather's.
Speaker 1: Like you're the police, and they're like, you know why we're here, and she's like yeah, because I'm stupid. She like wants to have a hand. She's like introducing herself to the cops, trying to shake hands with them. You're just kind of getting the idea that she's a little bit of like a simple woman, Like she's just kind of like, oh, the cops are here, what's hi.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm Heather. Like it's just weird.
Speaker 1: She doesn't seem scared. She's just kind of not getting reality. They want her computer and then they're taking her away and the grandma's kind of like, who's going to change my bag?
Speaker 3: And I think we all know what goes into the old bag.
Speaker 1: Now we get to this kind of weird scene because we don't really see stuff like this, where Coreese and Rollins and this local cop named Chuck are having a little fun at a local dive bar.
Speaker 3: Okay, they're just letting loose, heaving beers, and so it to me.
Speaker 1: It's a six hour drive from New York to Morgantown, where my husband's from. So it's an eight hour drive from Maysville. So I guess they probably had to stay overnight. I guess that was probably like it was too much to go there and back in a day. So they're chilling at this bar. CARESI at one point asked Siri to set a reminder. I was like, is this a Apple tie in?
Speaker 3: Did you guys do a trade out?
Speaker 1: It was like a confusing sponsored moment in the show, especially because like they have to say face space. They can't even say Facebook, so I don't understand now they're talking about Siri.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like it was intentional. But Rollins goes in questions this hot bartender about going to school with Heather. He's like, she's a sad sack, had a bad dad, had.
Speaker 3: To care for the mom.
Speaker 1: He doesn't really have any information, and then Rollins starts telling Careesy about her old dive bar that she used to go to back home and her fling with Roy Junior, and then she just throws right out to cares Yeah, and then I took him out back and banged his brains out, and you're like, WHOA, Okay. I mean nothing wrong with having a little fun, but it just seems like it seemed like a weird jump in there. Normally like more professional relationship, and I was like, not since season one when Jeffries talks about hooking up with a former suspect and we heard a detective being so graphic about their sex life. You never hear Olivia being like, you know what, I love being on top, like you know, so anyway, there's like an awkward moment, but then they laugh about it, and then Rollins is like, and then the guy died of melanoma. I do not know what's going on with this conversation. It gets so weird. And then Careese has to go check on Chuck, the local cop, because he's gotten two wasted buck. The hot bartender sends a round of shots over because he's clearly trying to flirt with Rollins. Careese's carrying Chuck back to the table. Chuck bumps into a guy. A full bar brawl erupts.
Speaker 3: It's just like wild.
Speaker 1: I feel like almost I'm watching Chicago Fire. I don't know if that makes any sense. This just seems like something that would happen in another Dick Wolf show and not this one. I don't even want I've never even seen one episode of Chicago Fire show.
Speaker 3: I don't know where that came from.
Speaker 2: But I do want to give a shout out if we're going to bring up Chicago Fire. Our friends Mike Joyce, he used to run an open mic in Chicago at a bar called Lotties, and they would film Chicago Fire there. So sometimes we'd go do the open mic and the signage would be different and like they would remodel.
Speaker 3: The inside and we'd be like someone was here today.
Speaker 2: I took a lot of implements shots in that basement and had a lot of fun, and I ate a lot of Tater tots.
Speaker 3: So shout out to Lotties.
Speaker 1: Cariese and Rowins are going back to their hotel, and she's like, that's the most fun I've had since Christmas of O five.
Speaker 3: I really want to know what happened.
Speaker 1: Then Cariese's kind of like leaning in.
Speaker 3: He's sort of going for it a man.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're missing a lot of details, and I think it's because you don't want to have sex with Careesy, So I'm going to take over for a second. They're they're you know, they're at a motel and he's walking Rollin's to her room and he's leaning. I mean, I I like got giddy, like I had to turn this off and walk away and go back in. I was just getting like hot, Like I just like couldn't watch this. It was so awkward but romantic. But it's truly like they were about to kiss. I feel like there was a lot of.
Speaker 3: Leaning and he's like, you know, like you know, I really like you as a partner and she's like uh huh and he's like no, like it's deeper than that, and she's like ah, and then he gets rejected and it's just like so hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's kind of why I like don't understand a lot of the releasi, like shipping because it's like she's just had so many opportunities and just keeps rejecting him. So then in the morning, Careese's on the phone with Olivia being like, we don't need to extra date Heather.
Speaker 3: She wants to come to New York.
Speaker 1: This girl, we can clearly tell, is like a little bit fame hungry, wants anything exciting to happen in her life, and I think getting escorted by the cops to New York counts as a fun night a day for her and Coreese spots Buck the hot bartender leaving Rollins' motel rooms.
Speaker 3: So that is like a second layer of rejection because she was horny.
Speaker 1: She just wasn't horny for him. And guess what, Rollins, I'm with you. I don't see it, but I know a lot of other people do. Please don't come for me.
Speaker 3: You like see his heartbreak? Yeah, there's a lot of but we'll see more happens at that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now Heather's telling Rollins about how her and her friends always dreamed of going to New York, like Mary Tyler Moore. We cut back to live in Sheila. This is the apple cutting scene. This is where apples Okay, she explains how her sister died. She wants to buy Noah a jacket, blah blah blah. Caresy and Rollins are driving Heather back to New York City and Chrisy's being kind of passive aggressive to Ralins, and Heather is asking if she's going to be able to meet the monster. So she really has like no idea what's happening. How much trouble she's in right now? We cut to negotiating with Barbara and they're offering Heather and her lawyer rape too, which is seven years in prison, and she's like, well less if I behave good. And then suddenly the gross lawyer from the beginning who was getting catfished, he comes in being like, Heather's my client because he's heard about Heather on the news and now he wants a piece of this action. He's going to do it pro bono because he just wants like the money, which I don't know where the money.
Speaker 3: Would be coming from. I guess from the fame.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, and maybe they'll do a civil suit or something.
Speaker 2: And fame is more important. I mean, the bling empire or their billionaire is not enough for them. They had to do a reality show. People want to be famous.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, So he apparently was on a list of best lawyers in New York City. I'm like, I doubt it, but okay, he says. His client rejects the plea deal at the precinct got more tension between Curries and Rollins, but she's also weirdly flirting with him, Like I don't really know why everyone she is fucking with him so bad.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a person.
Speaker 1: You know, sometimes I fuck strangers and sometimes I fuck people I know, and sometimes I fuck people.
Speaker 3: I work with, or does something like that.
Speaker 1: She basically says to him, You've got a shot, Like that's what she basically says to him, Like I didn't give you a shot last night, but you've got a shot.
Speaker 3: So maybe that's why everyone keeps holding a candle for no. She's playing, she's toying with him. She's toying. Yeah, Sunny deserves better than that, right.
Speaker 1: So now we're in court and Katie's text testifying about her text with the monsters, how the date went went, and then how she describes the attack monsters on the stand, he explains the rape fantasy they're basically painting the picture of the entire catfishing thing for the jury. Heather has confessed to doing this, she just never thought it would actually happen. She got the idea, She says, she got the idea for the rape fantasy from one of her mom's soaps, and so she basically describes her life taking care of her mom, cooking, feeding her, changing her poop bag, giving her spongeback, and then sometimes holding the bucket when she pukes. So it's like she has a not a great life, you know. She lives in like a small town and is like beholden to her dying mother. She basically has created this whole life on the computer. She never intended for the rape to happen or for the Monster to go to jail. So now Live and Barbara are at the bar and he's basically explaining to Olivia. He's like, she's not malicious, Like there's not a lot of intent here to quote the episode title, like she has no motive, and he thinks the jury is going to quit just out of pity. Then Coreesy shows up with kind of a smoking gun, saying that both Katie and Monster have texts on their phone with a picture of Heather.
Speaker 3: It's like, mind, if my.
Speaker 1: Friend tags along, which what is her plan? If they both said yes, she shows up and is like, I'm friends with both of you, Like I don't understand, like what she thought was going to happen there Also, I have to also, for a second stop and just say that this entire episode is predicated on the idea that there are no verified accounts, because Heather would have to set up accounts that had massive followers, counts that mimicked the exact people but were not verified, and convinced both of these famous people to start trusting a non verified account.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it can't.
Speaker 1: Happen, but it'd be more difficult than the show makes it seem. So anyway, Barbara establishes that it's a possible revenge motive that they rejected her coming along on the date, but it's not mensraya, And if we all remember from Legally Blonde, mens reya is the intention or knowledge of wrongdoing. Okay, So then Careesy shows them the something and goes toss these in the pot as well, and shows them some other pictures, and Barbara goes, the human body has a lot of bones.
Speaker 3: We never really get to what that is.
Speaker 1: We don't know what the pictures are of. I guess Heather's sending nudes. It's confusing. Back in court, Barbara is cross examining Heather talking about how she uses Blue Glacier shampoo. He basically exposes that she has red another user name on Reddit that's Blimpy eighty nine, and they show posts where she's shitting on Katie and shitting on Blue Glacier shampoo, Like why would anybody want to buy a shampoo from this slug?
Speaker 3: So they're getting.
Speaker 1: They're creating the narrative and supporting the narrative that Heather's not just this dumb dumb she is a malicious, jealous person who is mad that she has a bad life and that these people have good lives. And so she's basically saying that she never meant to hurt Andy. And then it's like, well what about Katie, And she's like, well, she's from Pensacola. That's not that much bigger than my town. She gets supposed naked photos of herself for money, and I have to rub my mom's feet. She's like, it's not fair. She gets paid to take a shower and I have to change Mama's poop bag.
Speaker 3: She deserves what she got.
Speaker 1: So Heather kind of has a breakdown on the stand, which we know in real life never happens, but on the show is Our Bread and Butter. Heather is found guilty. And then there are sort of two buttons to end the episode. One is that we're at a department store where Sheila's buying Noah the warm coat that he needs. We see it over the shoulder POV of a sketchy guy in a hoodie watching them. Shila turns her back for literally four seconds, and when she's gone, Noah's gone without a peep. I don't know if that really will happen with like a kid that's as old as Noah, Like, I feel like you say something, but whatever. At the precinct the Monster, there's a New York Post or it's not the New York Posts, like the Ledger or something. It's a headline that the Monster is caged is the headline. So his career is totally over. And I'm like, now, in the real world, it's not. Plenty of athletes have raped and kept going on to make millions more dollars, but I guess in this case, we think that his MMA career will suffer, and then Live gets the call from Sheila and we end the episode on this terrified face of hers because clearly Noah has been taken well.
Speaker 2: And also Finn is right there with you because they're like, uh, oh, what's the monster going to do? And Finn goes he can go to Hollywood? Yeah, which I thought was a nice little dig there, Finn. But also he did the right thing and he did I guess he did rape, but he didn't rape. Like, I just wonder why he would be vilified. Is it because he had to plead? Like we see the story, like we know the truth, Like, I just wonder why he would still.
Speaker 1: Be So I think that this kind of story it is like really hard to get through to people in the press.
Speaker 3: It's just so confusing and it's like what do you mean?
Speaker 1: And like I think people wouldn't believe it, or like remember when Mantiteo got Catfish, people were like it kind of ruined his career a little bit, Like people were just like, how could you be so stupid? Like so, I don't know, there's a lot of life.
Speaker 2: This is an amazing tie into what we're going to talk about soon with the crime and in unprecedented history of this podcast, the crime's pretty chill. It's actually a pretty fun crime. There's not a rape to be seen here, no one gets physically hurt, there's no burnings. Like this is going to be a smooth sailing crime. I cannot wait. We will get into it when we come back. Okay, welcome back. So this crime I've actually known about for a very very long time. It was an episode of Catfish that I happened to catch one time.
Speaker 1: Liza, you watch Catfish religiously admit it on the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like if you know, if there's no SVU or Housewives or Kardashians or South Park.
Speaker 1: It's this or Simpson's it's like a solid seven or eight down on your road televisions, I will watch Catfish.
Speaker 2: So this is on episode twelve of season six. It is called Open Investigation. If you want to check it out. I think something weird happened with one of the hosts. I don't really know, but yeah, there was a me too thing. I think book go on and this is this was the biggest show of their career because it was a legit crime. It wasn't like a pre super produced thing. So basically, this girl Paris done. She is very, very pretty hot girl, and she this in twenty twelve, and she posts lots of photos.
Speaker 3: She's having a good time, and she had a.
Speaker 2: Giant crush on Chris Anderson, who is an NBA player on the Denver Nuggets at the time, and he's nicknamed Birdman because he has a mohawk, lots of tattoos, and he flaps his arms like a bird and the audience loves it.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to say.
Speaker 2: So he's known for his flapping movements and he was described by some as like the white Denis Rodman, you know, a little bad boy, and or she.
Speaker 3: He's six ' ten, a giant guy. Wow. Yeah, and he is fucking hot. Okay, he is hot.
Speaker 2: I understand why Paris had a crush on this NBA player. So she commented on his post and she legit wrote, hey, you should text me and put her phone number on a comment. So it's kind of like what you referenced with the episode where it's like, was there verified counts in twenty twelve? I don't know, Like the timing of everything does really affect it. I don't think anyone would put their phone numbers so prominently like this, And then all of a sudden, he friend requests her and starts texting her. So Paris is living her fantasy and she's like in Georgia or something, I don't remember, Tennessee, like.
Speaker 3: Pick a state down there, and that's where she is. So they're texting.
Speaker 2: Obviously, they start sending nudes, and they start, you know, some sexual photos, some sexting, all of that. So she also then starts getting texts from a guy named Tom, and Tom is Birdman's best friend, and so he's like, soh.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm Chris's friend, Like what do you think about all this?
Speaker 2: And so she starts texting with this other guy too, and Tom is the one that proposes, like you should come see Chris, like you guys should meet, and he and she goes okay, and so they do decide to meet.
Speaker 3: So she flies to fucking Denver.
Speaker 2: They've never talked on the phone, there's not been a skype in sight, but she hops a plane. This guyfe insight, hops on a plane and flies to Denver to meet Chris Anderson. And my favorite thing I also watched a twenty twenty segment on this crime as well, and it's called hooking a Catfish.
Speaker 3: And Deborah Roberts is the interviewer.
Speaker 2: And what's amazing is she's interviewing Paris and the whole time she's like, did this concern you?
Speaker 3: And Paris is like, nah, not at all. And she's like, were you nervous about sending nude? She goes, no, he was hot. I loved it. She goes, were you scared to fly?
Speaker 2: She goes, no, not at all. Didn't think it was weird. So it's really funny, like Deborah is trying to like bring some sort of like levity to this and this girl Paris is just like cuckockachew. She's just like I love it, Like she's just hot and wants to fuck and had not like no suspicions at all about anything, But why would you have suspicions about anything? She flies to Denver and guess who's waiting to pick her up. It's fucking Birdman. So this NBA player picks her up up from the airport. So like they do say like, now, like there was inconsistencies where he said like, oh, did you bring all that victorious secret for me?
Speaker 3: And she goes what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: And when she brought up Tom, he had no idea who she was talking about, but she just thought he was being like jokey, you know, like what do you mean?
Speaker 3: I have no idea who that is. But like so she thought it was a joke.
Speaker 2: But also in hindsight, of course, all these little details is kind of like the Pensacola thing within the episode, like you never think there's more when the guy is standing right in front of you. Nothing can be more real than this fucking hotty picking you up. And I guess he was also like, hey, so are you excited for your trip to Africa? And she's like, what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 1: So there was some like they honestly, they probably just both assumed, oh, you're talking to like three other guys, you're talking to five other girls, like you you're mixing me up with someone else, because like we're young and we're fucking a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they have a great they have a great time. I think they fuck they have the it's great. This is like a dream. I'm just thinking if I had a crush on a celebrity and then that celebrity was like come here and then I fucked. I would just be like, what the fuck? Like this it's too good to be true. So then he has to go to practice and she goes nuts. She starts taking selfies with his dog, with his shoes and his closet and the bat. I mean, she is just like on a selfie storm. And during this time Tom is texting her being like, oh, did you have fun?
Speaker 3: Send me this photo? Send me that photo.
Speaker 2: So Tom is like telling her what to do in the house and she's fighting Tom back a little where it's like, no, I don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Wait, kar, I can't believe you're listening to this not knowing what Birdman looks like, and the fact that Lisa thinks he's hot.
Speaker 3: No, I'm texting you a picture the second okay, guyst No, I am so as a basketball fan, you guys, not knowing who this is so funny to be Birdman was like the joke of the NBA.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I've never seen this person in my life. But I also don't think he's hot, no at all mortifying. He is not hot, Lisa and everyone made fun of him so much, so this is extra funny. I could see a million girls wanting to go fly across country to fuck this guy. It's just funny you listening to this having no idea what he looked like, and not knowing that he's such a joke.
Speaker 3: He could be a I mean, I guess I'm more into like the accessory. I like tattoos. Tattoos, you're into that.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: I kind of get it.
Speaker 2: I'm a tattoo girl. I can't really can't deny it. You love ink, Okay. So then there's like some weirdness of how everything goes south. So one story is like Chris and Tom were obsessed with Call of Duty and I guess there was a guy in Indiana that was like beating them and they didn't like it. And they were trying to convince Paris to fly to Indiana and steal the guy's account and password. So that was weird and she didn't want to do that, and that apparently set Chris and Tom off. The other thing is that Paris is saying that she was telling Birdman that her friend got her some sort of passes to meet Blake Griffin, another NBA player, and that set him off, like he was pissed that she was going to go see this other NBA player and I would like to add sorry, but I have met Blake Griffin. He's like a big comedy fan and he was doing comedy for a while. So he was at the Just for Laughs festival in Montreal one year and he was the selfie to get. I mean, there's not one comedian that year that did not run to Blake s all of them all.
Speaker 1: And was like, is this fucking guy doing Is this the guy that was married to Kim Kardashian.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, this guy is dating No, but he's dating Kendall. He was dating Kendall.
Speaker 1: He was dating Kendall, and I was like, is this guy doing comedy? And I guess he sort of was.
Speaker 2: Well, he did the roast of Caitlyn Jenner recently, but he was also a fan. Anytime I saw him, he was like, I'm going to the v panel, like he was jazz to be there. And I actually got to do a host They do a show called me Night's Surprise or the lineup's always a surprise for the audience, and so he hosted a show and I.
Speaker 3: Was on it, and so I was like, I better fucking kill Blake Griffin.
Speaker 2: It's to think I'm amazing, and I will. But he was like really nice and cool, so I understand Paris if she so, I don't. I don't know if it's the Xbox thing or the Blake Griffin or I'm not really sure. But something sets them off and Chris starts and everything's in air quotes like obviously there's you know, Tomfoolery afoot.
Speaker 3: So something's afoot.
Speaker 2: But Chris starts texting Paris like I'm gonna kill you, I'm gonna rape you, I'm gonna dump your body, I'm gonna throw you on the side of the streets, starts threatening like it all becomes super super violent, and then what Chris is getting is messages being like you better give me money or I'm gonna say you rape me, like starts threatening him and twenty twenty had an interview with his like longtime lawyer and friend and manager type person who also lets us know that Chris Anderson was like a foster kid who's like loves to do a lot of community service, Like he's like he's like a really good guy. But then Paris starts receiving texts from Chris that are like threatening her, threatening to put her nudes online and demanding all of these things from her.
Speaker 3: So it was confusing. So all of a sudden, all Paris's nudes are on some reddit, some blog.
Speaker 2: I don't know where they are on the internet. This is beyond my brain's capacity. But the nudes go on the internet. Now, this is obviously non consensual sharing of nude photos. But what is crazy is Paris lied about her age, and Paris is under age and she's seventeen years old.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Liza, want a twist. When I was seventeen, I couldn't fly anywhere without what the heck?
Speaker 2: Oh that's an amazing point, Kara, thank you for saying that. So basically, Deborah Roberts is like, what do you mean you just flew? What did your parents say?
Speaker 3: And she goes, well, I was dating a guy in Washington, so I just told them I was going to go visit him. So she's just like a very sexually mature team never in a million years.
Speaker 2: So at this point she's really upset that her nudes are on the internet, and so she tells her mother and her mother is like, are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 3: I'm calling the motherfucking cops.
Speaker 2: So the authorities get involved now because there's underage photography of a nude child on the internet. What's gonna happen now the authorities are involved. This is a giant scandal. This is all over the news. Chris Anderson's house is being raided by the FBI. This is you know, all the news are like, Chris Anderson is a child pornographer. He likes child porn. He gets kicked off the Nuggets. His career is pretty much over, his reputation is over. And he is a very you know, he's like a giant, tall, tattooed man. So he's very popular in Denver. He had to leave Denver because he's so well known. People were screaming, you know, awful things at him that he's a fucking pediphile.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So the FBI takes everyone's technology and guess what they figure out there's an in between person and all of the communication is being centered from fucking Canada, a tiny town called Easterville that's five hours away from fucking Winnipeg. It's the tiniest town to the point where there's not even a There is one grocery.
Speaker 3: Store and that is it.
Speaker 2: It is in the middle of nowhere, and Paris does earlier say like she was confused that the area codes were weird, But when you're a horny teen, you're not what are you going to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, maybe she hasn't watched twenty two full seasons of Law and Order resview and become a detective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So all of a sudden we find out that there's double catfishing going on.
Speaker 3: They've never seen anything like it. What the fuck is going on? And so Chris.
Speaker 2: Anderson does eventually get cleared of everything, and the age of consent in Denver is seventeen, so.
Speaker 3: He didn't he didn't do anything illegal. He did not do anything illegal.
Speaker 2: But and they talk about this like the news blast of him being exonerated wasn't as big as that he's.
Speaker 3: A fucking child pedophile. So there are some people that probably still associate his reputation with these crimes even though he did nothing wrong. So now who is this girl?
Speaker 2: So the they're getting catfished by a woman named Shelley Chardier, which is funny because the episode kept talking about poop bags and her last name has the word chart in it.
Speaker 3: Obviously, you know.
Speaker 1: Chardier sounds like, yeah, like a fucking parody of Cardier but with charding or something like.
Speaker 3: So, Shelley is everyone. Shelley is Chris Anderson. Shelley is Paris, Shelley is Tom, she is everybody she has.
Speaker 2: She's the one that had a Chris Anderson account, followed her texted Paris with the number, and investigators still don't know how she got Chris Anderson's phone number, Like the police has still not been able to figure it out. WHOA. So all of their communication, like on SVU, is going through this third party. They were never texting each other ever, so it is so wild. And Shelley also pretended to be Paris's mother who threatened Chris and asked for money, and Chris's lawyer actually gave her money and thought it would be over and then the photos went up and all this happened anyways, so she is also now on the hook for extorting, blackmailing like everything. And obviously she's a really good catfisher, Like this isn't her only con, you know what I mean? Right, So we'll learn a lot about Shelley, but she is pretty diabolical. She's had over eleven victims over three years. She's impersonated a YouTube comedian, a playboy playmate, and Brody.
Speaker 3: Jenner, which is funny. She's very good at this.
Speaker 2: Wow. So obviously the Catfishing Show, the two men they go, they go to fucking Easterville. So we're gonna meet Shelley since this happened in Cannaba and Cannibal. Since this happened in Canada, we meet some Canadian police officers. And so this guy is named Constable Gord Olsen and he's the main Canada cop. That's he's the main dude on all this investigating. And he said that Shelley has no remorse and that Chris should thank her for bringing a hottie to him and like that they should both be thanking her kind of in a way of like setting them up.
Speaker 3: So this is the best.
Speaker 2: So Chris Anderson does not do any interviews or talk about this period in his life at all, like there was very He does not participate in any of this. So the Catfish Show went to the Scholar Brothers as sports experts on Chris Anderson, which is.
Speaker 3: Like like Randy and Jason Sklar.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they go to the Twin comedians for their sports professional friends with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if I'm friends. I've done that, I've met them.
Speaker 1: I was just in a comedy's inenter show married to Randy. We were married to each other.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding? Yeah? I know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, incorporate. I knew you were in corporate. I thought it was a show called Randy's Brother And I'm like, wait, what no, no, no, Nory and I are a married corporate You weren't. Everyone Kara was in corporate.
Speaker 3: So five seconds, everybody check it out. I have a couple of lines.
Speaker 2: So the scholar brothers are here and they're giving like their take on everything that's neither here nor there. But it's just kind of funny to me. So anyways, the two guys, they fly to Canada and they're eating sushi on the plane and it's like, come on, guys, Okay. Anyways, So another added thing about Shelley is she also pretended to be Tom with a woman in Texas and they were in a relationship for years.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So when the constable like told the Texas woman, she was like fully heartbroken.
Speaker 3: She was like in distress.
Speaker 2: She couldn't believe that this guy that she'd been dating for years was actually Shelley Charte, So.
Speaker 1: Like tail as old as time. You're not dating somebody for years whose face you've never seen in person?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no for sure.
Speaker 1: But I mean you've never even facetimed, like you've never it's just not a skype in sight.
Speaker 3: As Lisa said, it's crazy, it is. But I don't know if we're facetimes as popular. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was tricked once into having a job where I sold things out of a van for a day and I hated it, and it was supposed to be a marketing position, Like we don't know what we're going to be tricked into sometimes.
Speaker 1: But you showed up there was a van, Like I'm just saying, we have to have some tangible things there, Like you can't have a multiple year relationship with somebody who was she ever speaking to them on the phone? No, And she was using a voice changer, Like how was that?
Speaker 3: You know? No phone calls for two years? That's crazy. Do you not watch Catfish?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I don't watch the movie.
Speaker 2: I saw the movie in the theater, and you know, I was talking to some friends about this case because I'm obsessed with it and it's also usually the victim or the catfishers do live lives like in the show Intent.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like sad in the middle of nowhere else. So we're gonna get to know Shelley. I will let you know that.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna just give you the sentence right up. There's just so much info that's not like I need to save this to the end. Shelley was sentenced to eighteen months in prison. So she did go to jail. And the town that she lives in is so small that the community center turns into a courthouse once a month and that's where court happens. There's not even a court in this town. It is so fucking tiny. But Colorado still wants to extradite her. There's an active arrest warrant, and if she is extradited and back in the US, she is up for twenty four to forty.
Speaker 1: Eight years in jail. Now for what what's the charge?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I bet it's like the child pornography show. Yes, I think it's the blackmail, the extraditing. Like, I'm not really sure what's up?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 3: So that's like what ended up happening to her. So the Catfish guys they go to meet her after she's out of prison.
Speaker 2: And this fact is the most upsetting to me personally, is this bitch is married, okay to a hot guy, and I am just like, how am I so desperate for love? And this woman, I would like to say, Shelley did not leave her house for eleven years. She is a full blown hermit. She never went to the dentist. Her teeth are rotting out. I'm sorry. I know people are poor and it sucks to be poor, but like, I am just upset that she has a spouse and I don't.
Speaker 3: But she met her husband through xbox.
Speaker 1: They like.
Speaker 2: The guy was like, damn, this girl's amazing. She keeps beating me at xbox. And so because she was so good at call of duty, he flew to this tiny town and moved in with her and married her in the kitchen and they've been they're still together.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this story God.
Speaker 2: And like true to the episode intent, she takes care of her mother. Her mother has been bedridden since giving birth to Shelley, and Shelley is the number one caregiver of her mother. And what was very interesting to me is when these guys and Deborah Roberts, Like all these people show up to this house. The mom cannot be bothered, like she's still on her iPad scrolling, will not like if it Like they all act like they don't care, but I know their lives are boring and they should be excited. But it is really weird, Like the mom just won't stop.
Speaker 3: Swiping the whole time, like playing games as these people are in her house, like it it is all very wild, but the mom is legit bedridden to the point where like she was brought in on a stretcher to the court, and so it is like most catfishing situation.
Speaker 2: I think it's like people with pretty sad lives, insular, not a lot to do, and like, yeah, didn't leave the house for eleven years and I met a hot love of her life and his family was like, don't do this, and he went anyways, and then she had to serve jail time. But she did say jail was great for her because she didn't have any phone or internet and actually forced her to make friends.
Speaker 3: And so jail was actually a great time in.
Speaker 2: Shelley's life where she learned how to communicate with others and stay off the internet.
Speaker 3: So they do meet her and they're like, how are you and she's like, I'm tired, Like she just doesn't care. There's a film crew from MTV there. It is very, very strange. Her side of the story, she was on Facebook.
Speaker 2: She saw Chris's status on Facebook about winning a game, saw Paris's comment, and that's how she decided to get involved in all of this and started texting them. She says that the woman in Texas is actually the one that told her to do this, so she is a liar, Like we can't really trust anything, she says. She says that she just started casually texting in that Paris was like nude, nude, nude, here's my nude, which I could believe too, but she yeah. She says that the woman in Texas told her to do all of this, and that she denies that she ever pretended to be Tom, Like, she denies ever playing games with this Texas woman, and it's like the facts are in the hard drive, baby, Like I'm sorry, you can't really lie your way out of this.
Speaker 3: Well, that's kind of like what happened in the episode.
Speaker 1: She felt bad.
Speaker 3: She never meant to hurt Andy, but she didn't give a shit about the girl.
Speaker 2: She's also saying that the Texas Woman is the one that manipulated to get money from the lawyer, and that she's doing the blackmailing.
Speaker 1: I mean, she is just literally escape voting this Texas lady who she's been screwing over for years.
Speaker 2: And they also, the caffish guys are kind of pressing her, and they said, I mean, if you're telling the truth about all this and the Texas Woman, you're charged with things you shouldn't be charged with.
Speaker 3: So what's going on here.
Speaker 2: She also did plead guilty because they promised her house arrest, but then they sent her to jail.
Speaker 3: Anyways.
Speaker 2: She also said she was pregnant at the time and was gonna fight in the trial, but because she was pregnant, she didn't want to, and then she had a miscarriage and then went to jail.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't, I can't.
Speaker 2: Really, it's hard to keep this side of it straight. Like I kind of believe the Constable and the authorities and paris a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Than what's going on here. So they asked what she wanted to do with her life.
Speaker 2: She said she wants to have kids with her husband and she said she's never gonna catfish again. Okay, so now where are they now and what's happened? So Birdman came back. He played on the Miami Heat and won a championship with Lebron James, and he got to meet President Barack Obama in twenty fourteen, Like you know, the championship team gets to go to the White House.
Speaker 3: So that was thrilling for him. And then he ended up.
Speaker 2: Playing on the Grizzlies and then on the Cavaliers as well, and then he joined this league.
Speaker 3: This is insane, Kara. There's a league called Big Three that is owned by ice Cube with retired NBA players that play three on three basketball. I think I've heard of this. I think I've weirdly heard of this.
Speaker 2: And so he won a championship there, but who cares. So he doesn't have an Instagram. There's not a lot of info on him. But he does have a long term fiance. They've been engaged for like five years. Her name is Tina. She's very beautiful.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I'm glad things worked out for him. It sounds like he was kind of a victim in all this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Shelley.
Speaker 2: I can't really get any information about her post twenty seventeen, which is a good sign.
Speaker 3: That means she's staying off the internet. Maybe I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: The CBC, which is Canada, they did a documentary on her, but there's really nothing. Now I would like to go into Paris. Oh my god, so Paris done. I'm trying to find her on Instagram.
Speaker 3: I find her as Paris Dylan and she has five hundred and eighteen thousand followers. And I'm just scrolling through seeing what's up with Paris, mostly selfies, cute little selfies. And then I see a photover with Alex Trebek and another old man, and I'm trying to figure it out. The old man is Don McLean. Paris Done is dating Don McLean, the guy who sang American Pie. Yes he is seventy five years old. No, honey, no no, no, no, no, no, no he is he. I mean he is very You know, it's like hard because you don't want to be judgmental, but I have a very I'm very judgmental about giant age gaps. I remember one time at a show there was like a fun couple and then the moment they told me how old everyone was. My face changed and I had no interest in talking to them. It is my bias. It is where I draw the line. I'm trying to work on this bias.
Speaker 1: Because how old is Paris now? She was seventeen and twenty twenty five. She's twenty twenty five dating a seventy five year old.
Speaker 3: They've been dating for five years. He divorced his wife to be with her. Oh my gosh. She became like a playboy model. I mean her body is sick like. She looks fucking incredible, and we could tell that from a young age. She knew what she wanted, which is fucking famous people. I mean, I don't know what I wanted to fame.
Speaker 2: So she met Don McLean. She said she was a giant fan of his music. And then I went to Don's instagram.
Speaker 1: I went.
Speaker 3: I probably spent an hour and a half on both of their instagrams.
Speaker 2: The way they met is she started managing his social media account in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: He's worth fifty million.
Speaker 2: Dollars and they she just would go on the road with him. There's photos of her with like Ed Sheeran and all these like famous people. Because everyone loves don McLean and now they just do tiktoks together and it's uncomfortable because, oh my god, so they're they're quarantining together and doing tiktoks.
Speaker 3: So that's that's why I didn't want you to look at the notes. I thought this would be just some Jadra did. I over over hype it. This is a crazy where are they now? And I yeah, I mean it's like this episode.
Speaker 1: When I was watching it on us fore, I was like, Okay, this one's a little bit crazy, but it's not that crazy.
Speaker 3: It happened in real life.
Speaker 1: And what happened in real life was like a thousand times crazier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, fuck, what a good one. It was wild.
Speaker 2: But I so everyone, please do not come for me for being so judgmental. But I don't like old men dating young girls. It annoys me, and I don't give a fuck.
Speaker 3: Honestly, you're you.
Speaker 1: You seem like a little bit focused on the physical. I'm like focus, I focus on like the conversations, like what are you guys talking about? Like I will sometimes meet someone who's ten years younger than me and be like, I don't even get what your whole thing is like, So I can't imagine somebody twenty five, forty five fifty years younger than me like having anything to talk about. I mean, seventy fifty years younger than me doesn't exist. But you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And I don't know Don McLean, so I can't speak for him in this.
Speaker 1: Way, but please don't speak for American by singer Don McLean Lisa.
Speaker 3: But you know what, Honestly, I hope I hope she gets that money she put it. They've been together five years. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, Well, I'm gonna have to just process a lot of stuff and then we're going to talk to our guests. I'm so excited for our next guest. She has been on my all time favorite show, Clause, She's been on Preacher. You can see her on Hulu's Castle Rock season two. All the way from New Orleans.
Speaker 3: It's Catfisher, Heather Parcel, herself, Tonay in Triago. Where are you right now?
Speaker 4: And I am in the humid land of New Orleans.
Speaker 3: That's what I was.
Speaker 1: We were reading about you that you split time, and we're both like, how exciting? Because I'm obsessed with New Orleans. I got engaged there. I love it there.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I'm wondering the casting is usually New York.
Speaker 2: Did you go to New York to audition or were they looking for people I other places I taped.
Speaker 5: I was we were visiting family in Florida at the time, because that's where we moved from before New Orleans, and so I just sent a tape and I booked like it's you know, it's a machine law and order, and so it's like I sent in a tape and then found out i've it like two days later, and then the next couple of days I had to be there, and I was there for two weeks or so.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you booked off a tape.
Speaker 1: That feels like a myth, Like that feels like you're like, that's like you told me you saw a unicorn.
Speaker 3: Like that's crazy.
Speaker 5: I've booked everything I've ever worked on off of tape. Wow, it's yeah, people, I feel like I'm an imposter.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so it was. It was. It was really cool.
Speaker 4: It was the one of the best gigs I've ever had ever, ever ever ever.
Speaker 3: Where did they film all the West Virginia stuff?
Speaker 5: We went upstate, Okay, up state yeah, yeah, yeah, cool cool, which was really fun.
Speaker 1: No, my husband is from West Virginia, and I was like, this has West Virginia tinges, but I don't think this is right right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was upstate and I'd never been upstate before, so it was it was super pretty and yeah it's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Cold it was so cold.
Speaker 3: Oh but you guys were wearing summer gear, right, yeah, but why had I had that?
Speaker 5: Like I don't know if you guys remember the like seventies kind of jacket with like.
Speaker 4: The cloth collar.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I loved that jacket trying to make you look like a country girl, but it was actually like a cute jacket. Yeah right right.
Speaker 4: I was like I would wear this normally.
Speaker 5: But yeah, and our house was like on a cliff, like the house that Heather lived in was on a cliff, and it was cool.
Speaker 4: It felt backwoods, like froom.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's great. So had you been like a fan of SVU before you? Did you watch it?
Speaker 4: Had you guys will slaughter me?
Speaker 5: I had never seen an episode before I booked the shows that ended, and then it got me in and then it was like, oh, this is the funnest thing to watch that probably ever, it's so I don't know the way that it's it's so dramatized. I really just had fun watching the episode, which is weird because I usually hate the ship that I'm in, But.
Speaker 4: Like, it was so fun.
Speaker 3: Who was hotter, Steve Howie or Cariesy. We want to know, Oh my god, we want to know who was the highest.
Speaker 5: I think energetically, like Steve was just like Zaddy, you know, like as soon as he got in, he was like, oh man, and he's so humble and like a listener and like it's just like, oh he was so sweet.
Speaker 1: But I had the most fun with Raoul Oh okay, yeah yeah, because you guys had some like courtroom tension.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: He is like the life of the party. He was so fun and we just sang lay mis in between days.
Speaker 1: Our listeners are gonna go nuts because they truly are all so horny for Barbara, Like we have no idea until we like posted a thing where we didn't include Barbara and they really were mad at him.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: This was like right before he left, I think like right before and so yeah, he was a doll. And then the guy who played my my defense attorney and Fleshler. Yeah, incredible. He's like one of my favorite character actors too. So when I met him, I was like, are you for real? Like but it was yeah, yes, Steve Howie's a babe.
Speaker 3: That's so funny. So Careesy did not do it for you, No, Peter Scaravino, sexy, No, he.
Speaker 4: She just talked about his children the old time, the whole time. Okay, So I was like, I've left my child for this.
Speaker 1: I don't want to, you.
Speaker 3: Know, take me away. Steve Howie. Yeah, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 5: I mean he's so handsome though, like his eyes are piercing and like cut you through the core, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Who was describing him as like a Swedish prince or something like he just like looks like a Scandinavian like God Demid.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait so but we want to hear about because you know, the we we're not particularly into this, but a lot of people that listen to the pod cast are very into the Rollins and Cares real relationship, which has a big part in that episode. So we're wondering on the road trip obviously you guys didn't drive six hours, but right road trip scenes, could you feel the tension.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: It was so fun to just hear them because you know, my characters like asleep, yeah, or like daydreaming out. You know, she's just like thinking that she's going to meet her the man that she worships.
Speaker 4: So it was really fun.
Speaker 5: There's It's funny because in cut, you know, when we're just waiting for the next scene and we were we drove for a while. I remember being in that car for a couple hours. Oh wow, just like because of like resetting and you know all that. But they yeah, you could cut the tension with a knife for sure.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: At one point I was sitting there and I was like, am I horny?
Speaker 3: Like I don't know, is this you know?
Speaker 5: But they were, yeah, and they play. They just love to play with each other, like they just fuck with each other. We want to take on purpose, you know. It's it was super fun. And then and cut, they're like turning back on me and they're asking me about my life and they were really eager to like learn.
Speaker 4: Because I was from New Orleans and yeah, all of that.
Speaker 5: But on my end, I'm like, wait, no, tell me about what you guys going on, because I you know, I'd never seen the show. I didn't know that anything was building for them, and so whenever I'm noticing this, I'm like, they like, what a fuck?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's what most of the listeners think too, but it still hasn't happened in season twenty two.
Speaker 4: I know, I know it's crazy. They're really they're really drawing it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're doing They're turning them into a bit of a gym and a pam.
Speaker 2: Are there other fun on set stories or moments that you remember.
Speaker 5: I really had fun with the director, like a lot. His name is Adam Bernstein. He directed the episode, and my favorite part of shooting was the courtroom scene because everyone was fucking with me, even Raoul, bringing me back to saying poop bag like a million times, like, and you know, she's super upset in that moment, like and I have to change mama's poop bag.
Speaker 4: She deserves what she got. They would cut right before I had to.
Speaker 5: Say she deserves so I'd be like, and I have to change mama's poop bag, and then they'd cut and Adam.
Speaker 4: Would be like, all right, we're going to restart from poop bag.
Speaker 3: Let's let's you know, it.
Speaker 4: Is a running joke with all of my friends, like at any.
Speaker 3: Time, so funny.
Speaker 2: Well, because I had seen the episode a few times and then once we were dming on Instagram, you mentioned how often you said poop bag. When I watched it again, I could not stop laughing.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, you can't not hear it, because it's like in the courtroom scene and then even in the scene when they come to her house, right because the mom June's like, well, who's going to.
Speaker 4: Change my mom?
Speaker 5: Boom man, you know, and it's just like that was really important to say a lot in that episode.
Speaker 4: The writers were like, we're going to put this in here.
Speaker 1: You know, Well that was just such like the poop bag is really symbolic of your life and how bad it is, and because it is, yeah, because we're supposed to really really sympathize with you and be like, I don't know, she didn't mean for this to happen. And then that turn at the end where you like you kind of did mean for it to happen, And yeah, we were wondering, like, how'd you squeeze out that solitary tear when you were on the stand, How was that?
Speaker 4: I'm a trained professional.
Speaker 3: Is how that happened?
Speaker 5: No, honestly, I don't know, because I was it was so funny. We were cracking up, That's.
Speaker 3: What I was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like in between takes, it's like poop bag poop bag tear, Like I don't know, it's like hard to you're making a show.
Speaker 5: I think the poop bag gods were looking at upon me and just really blessing me in that moment to release one singular tear.
Speaker 4: But I don't know how it happened. I honestly, I think I just kept.
Speaker 5: My eyes open really long time, like just like I'm just going to dry him out because this is impossible.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Oh it's so good.
Speaker 5: It is a singular tier and the moment it feels like you're crying so much, but like it was just one.
Speaker 3: It just was kind of cool about it though.
Speaker 1: It's like restrained. You know.
Speaker 2: Another moment I loved with your characters when the cops did come, you had you were like okay, yeah, let's goet like you weren't scared.
Speaker 3: I believe she wanted out.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, you wanted to shake everybody's hand. You were like, hey, cool, NYPD ive seen this on TV like you were like it was really good.
Speaker 5: I remember I did that on like I did that on the fly, like to approach them, and afterward, I think it was Kelly. She was like, were you supposed to shake our hand? And I was like, I don't know, I just felt inclined. And then the director came and was like that was weird.
Speaker 4: We're keeping it, you know. But yeah, she was like ready to party, go on a road trip, movie star.
Speaker 3: Live her Marytyler more Fantasy. Yes, I know it's so sad.
Speaker 1: No, but you did do a really great job, like turning at the end where all the frustration of your life comes out in the courtroom, and then you probably stopped and did uh you know Cosette solo with Oh yeah. I was just on my like in.
Speaker 4: Between, you know.
Speaker 2: And well, the other thing that was said allow was blue Glacier, and I'm like, no woman's shampoo would ever be called blue glacier.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was like, this girl uses like, I don't know, pulp riot or something like blue glacier.
Speaker 1: I said, thoughts sounded like a later axe body spray or yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know where that came from. And I'm I'm disappointed. I wasn't curious in the moment.
Speaker 2: I do need everyone to know that's listening that Kara, are you playing with a Google eye this whole time?
Speaker 1: Is sorry? This is my daughter googly.
Speaker 3: I okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I've just been playing with it.
Speaker 3: Least I held it in for a long time, but I I, oh my god, I was just playing with it. Sorry. So that was amazing. What a fun girl. I want to like go down to New Orleans and her me and by ourselves.
Speaker 2: I want to go and I want to eat those beignets. I just I love New Orleans is magical. It's to me, the only city that is perfectly rated. It's not overrated at all. It's just like it is as great as people say. And I was there alone, dude, like walking the streets and I had fun, like.
Speaker 3: You just party and everybody's like you just talk to people.
Speaker 1: I love it there.
Speaker 3: I think it's so fun. Instruments music everywhere. Yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Listen, let's talk about let's get into our post mortem. Let's talk about what we learned from this episode.
Speaker 2: I mean, I do want to mention another to I'm so glad that she spelt the tension between Careesie and Rollins and wants to fuck Steve Howie.
Speaker 3: She is married, But I'm glad that she had all the sexy gossip just ready to share, and about Barbara, like you know, she knew what want and she gave it to us. Oh yeah, she gave you Barbara brigade. Enough.
Speaker 1: That's all Cohen and your spak gross I hate that praise. Okay, let's get into our post mort on, Lisa, what do we learn from today's episode? I mean, for me, it's like, if you are a celebrity and you're talking to another celebrity, just look for that blue check mark, baby, Like, why are you talking to somebody who has two hundred thousand followers but is not verified and giving out phone numbers?
Speaker 3: Just double check, do your due diligence, have a FaceTime.
Speaker 1: I don't know, figure something out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, even if someone tells you they have a rape fantasy, I would maybe triple check, or you just bounce into it with a stranger, I.
Speaker 3: Would just keep checking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, first of all, if you are going to do something like that, you always have to have a safe word, and you should check about that up top, Like safe word is still eagle right, like or whatever your safe word is going to be.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's a fun safe word anything, but yes, safe word. That's a great way to say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should always have a safe word ready prepped always. Don't I don't know. I don't like cauliflower ear, so don't like anyone.
Speaker 1: That has that.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Don't have sex with those ears.
Speaker 2: Also, like, well this is more for the real cry and catfish, But it's like talk to someone on the phone before you fly to meet them, like FaceTime, see their face, like you have to talk.
Speaker 1: I just yeah, you shocking firm identities, make sure the area code is right. Like it's just I can't believe catfish is a thing.
Speaker 2: And they have a new catfish podcast coming out, so it keeps happening. These people keep I just I don't understand how you're not facetiming in the years now. Yeah, in twenty twenty one, even with the pandemic. Now it's even more like I FaceTime people. I would never have been facetiming. I would just be seeing them, I guess.
Speaker 1: And it's like I know that especially right now, like people feel isolated, people feel alone, but like just don't allow, don't like allow internet conversation to make you completely forget like all of your red flags and your instincts and like your rules about when you get to know a person, Like you can't be dating somebody for two years and never have seen their face, like at least over face time.
Speaker 3: Like it's just yeah, nuts, say.
Speaker 2: I'll leave your house, you know, take a walk around the block, take a walk, you can go out have some fun. Well, I was gonna say, don't just buy things that influencers put on the internet, but I do that all the time.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm sorry, says a girl wearing at Jojo Seawall scrunchy right now, Oh, I buy.
Speaker 2: Everything I buy, Like, yeah, Hillary Roda put on Essay later and I'd say, i'man I bought Esta latter night, Sarah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Is never going to freaking hawk blue Glacier shampoo. Ladies, let's not buy blue Glacier shampoo. That's not something.
Speaker 3: It's not real. But if it was real, that's a man's thing. That sounds like a man thing. Don't buy a heteronormative No, I'm being heteronormative. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, don't judge Instagram hose you know what I mean, Like everyone's allowed to make money being showing off their body if they want, and it doesn't mean like, I don't know, don't judge them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because now she's in a perfectly happy relationship with the singer of American Pie.
Speaker 2: Wait, what are you talking about, Don McLean? Oh yeah, okay, I thought I was imagining Jason Biggs.
Speaker 3: I'm young.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Lisa, you're not that much more than me. And I don't say the movie American Pie, I said the singer of American Pie.
Speaker 2: No, I even Don McLean. I had to google him multiple times. When I hear American Pie. I think of Jason Biggs and that movie before I think of the song. You don't think version, No, I think of the Madonna version. Honestly, Wow, you are very young.
Speaker 1: Well I need to let my youthful friend get off this podcast and go, I don't know, download the latest American Bye movie or something.
Speaker 2: And I think like someone that I thought was cool when I was younger, like shat on that song and I was like, yeah, it sucks or something like that.
Speaker 3: No, it's not that great of a song. It's just kind of an American classic.
Speaker 1: I just thought you would know it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Actually, I had a great moment the day that we all found out Biden one. I was alone, so I drove to the Like Park and Evanston and there was a guy playing it on the keyboards over and over again as I walked to the dog, and it was nice.
Speaker 3: I take everything back, this is all a mess.
Speaker 1: It's your favorite song.
Speaker 3: Okay. I think we've beaten this episode with a dead horse. What's the saying. But we've beaten it with the dead We've learned all we can.
Speaker 1: All right, and now it is time for what What Sister peg do? Our weekly segment where we direct you towards an organization, a article, a book, something that helps flesh out a little bit more of the topic that we covered in today's episode. Today, we wanted to draw your attention to the National Cybersecurity Alliance. They have an article up there called five Easy Ways to Protect Yourself Online. We'll link to it in our show notes as usual, but their website is staysafeonline dot org.
Speaker 3: Just don't get catfish, guys.
Speaker 1: I think that's what generally their messages and how to just you know, if you're in a long term relationship with someone you've never spoken to or seen. That's a red flag.
Speaker 3: So stay safe.
Speaker 2: And next week is for twenty Hello Taco Bell, I'm coming for you and we will be covering choreographed season eight, episode nine.
Speaker 3: It's going to be chill and fun. And I don't know what's another hippie com stoned me. I'm pregnant. I won't be stoned.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the episodes are on Hulu or Peacock or you know international. You're on your own, baby, but hit us up on Instagram, email us, and we'll see you soon.
Speaker 3: Bye. That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed Up Pod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klink and.
Speaker 3: At glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to SBU super fan and our incredible producer, Hannah Kyle Kraton.
Speaker 1: And to our sound engineer and personal hero, Analise Nilson, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song, to Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork. Thanks to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right.
Speaker 3: Media, Listen, subscribe, leave us a review on.
Speaker 2: Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts. If you're an advertiser interested in advertising on our show, go to midroll dot com slash ads Done Done