Speaker 1: In Uptown New York City.
Speaker 2: Underdogs created a sound that changed music forever. Recalled it Ziska, and one label captured that sound like no other Bania Records. I'm rosy Pres and this is our thing. The Birth of Salsa in Nueva Yurope, an original podcast from Perthuro's studios. Listen now wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Ten years ago, on June twelfth, a shooter killed forty nine people and injured dozens of others at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida. It was one of the worst mass shootings in US history. It remains this country's deadliest attack against the LGBTQ plus community, who were the majority of the victims, along with mostly LATINUS and Latinas you know.
Speaker 4: I've heard a lot of conversation today about is this terrorism?
Speaker 1: Is it a hate crime?
Speaker 4: No, I would say that it's both without a doubt.
Speaker 3: Well, ultimately, the Pulse massacre was not considered a hate crime by the FBI. The fear and the sense of loss of safety was immediate for the LGBTQ community across the country.
Speaker 5: And that's according to our reporting.
Speaker 3: A decade after the Pulse Nightclub shooting, the trauma and the healing is ongoing. The shooter was killed by the police in the incident, and while there have been legal cases, including charges against the shooter's widow, federal and local police investigations, and even feyer requests, there has yet to be any convictions. Survivors and the victims' families are still seeking accountability.
Speaker 6: You've got all of that. No memorial, Yeah, I want to lack Quarentina area.
Speaker 3: And a way to memorialize the forty nine people who lost their lives.
Speaker 7: A decade ago.
Speaker 3: From Futro Media, it's Latino USA. I'm Maria Josa Today Pulse. A decade later, we hear from a survivor about his journey since that tragic day.
Speaker 8: He tells us what justice.
Speaker 3: Could look like for him and the community of survivors and families of the victims, who're also going to look at the repercussions of Pulse, how there are new forms of violence against the LGBTQ plus community, and how this violence now comes in the forms of laws and policies. Back in twenty sixteen, Latino US they covered the mass shooting at Pulse in the wake of one of our nation's biggest tragedies. It is worth remembering that attacks on queer people of color in this country are nothing new, and Rinaldo Leanos Junior helped with that coverage back then as an intern.
Speaker 9: Jacqueline Garcia is from the Real Grand Valley of South Texas. She found out hours later that her friend of six years, Frank, was one of the forty nine victims.
Speaker 3: Ray has continued to cover the LGBTQ plus community since then. I'm going to pass the mic now to him. He spoke with Joshua Ernandez Garion. He is one of the survivors of Pulse.
Speaker 1: It's June twenty sixteen.
Speaker 9: Georgeua is twenty two years old and a shift manager at McDonald's in Orlando, Florida.
Speaker 10: That night, I was supposed to be get off at ten pm. I was getting short on my registers, so I can't count everything.
Speaker 9: The math isn't mathing, and it's throwing a wrench in its plans for the night.
Speaker 6: I say, my friend, they're going to fight with me.
Speaker 9: Georgehua is planning to meet his friends at Pulse to dance the night away after a long day of work.
Speaker 1: It's Latin night.
Speaker 9: He finally sorts out the accounting and clocks out at around eleven thirty pm. He rushes home to get club ready.
Speaker 10: So I get on to balls at twelve twenty in midnight, almost one hour before they close.
Speaker 9: He dashes to the bar and orders a drink. As closing time nears, Georgehua heads to the bathroom.
Speaker 6: And then I hear the shot.
Speaker 9: At first, he thinks it's part of the music. His gut tells him to take a closer look, and as he makes it to the bathroom exit, a group of people rush toward h it's him. He realizes what he's hearing is gunshots.
Speaker 6: So I say on my mind what I.
Speaker 9: Do In that split second, he decides to stay in the restroom with about a dozen other people. Then the gunman enters and shoots at them with a semi automatic rifle.
Speaker 6: I get a shot on my left arm.
Speaker 9: He lay there bleeding for more than three hours with other victims around him. In that moment, Joshua thinks I'm gonna die. Finally the police make their way to him.
Speaker 10: They take me in an amboleance, so I say I had to mutch pain on my belt. When they check my belly, they see that I have another shot.
Speaker 9: He goes into emergency surgery. The gunshots impacted four of his organs.
Speaker 6: I still have a bullet inside of me on my.
Speaker 1: Bike, Joshua says.
Speaker 9: The doctors couldn't not remove the bullets because it could risk leaving him paralyzed or dead. His physical recovery has been a long journey.
Speaker 10: All that time, my mom and all my family member was with me, and I have a nurse in my house that she come almost every day.
Speaker 9: It took him about two years to recover, but even today he doesn't have full strength in his arm. The shooting changed him at his core.
Speaker 6: It's hard miss a lot of trauma.
Speaker 10: Sometime when I when I close my eyes, I see when I was on the floor on that restaurant.
Speaker 1: It feels like it happened yesterday.
Speaker 6: So then.
Speaker 1: He's grateful to be alive.
Speaker 9: The Opportunia, yeah, he feels he needs to use his voice for the forty nine people who lost their lives at night at Poles Arenti, Georgia, is part of a collective named POLSE Families and Survivors for Justice. They advocate for accountability. They've been raising concerns about what else contributed to the high death toll that night. Beyond the shooters bullets and motives. For example, could code violations at the night club have been partially at fault, like the tall, black nylon fence that was on the perimeter of the club that night. An investigation by The Orlando Sentinel revealed that the fence was not permitted and that it obstructed some from escaping during the attack. However, the city told the Orlando Sentinel this violation was not considered a safety issue. He believes that this contributed to the life's loss that night. In twenty twenty four, eight years after the shooting, the Orlando Police Department found that a month before the shooting, the Orlando Fire Department documented several code violations at Pulse. They included broken doors, blocking of exits, and unpermitted renovations, which some argue was a big issue when law enforcement arrived on the scene, what was mapped out on the floor plans didn't match the actual layout of the night club. During the police's investigation, the club owners were never interviewedque Yet, for him, the owners also have a responsibility. For years, Georgshua, other survivors and victims families fought for an investigationation like this by authorities, but many were disappointed with its outcome. The co owners of the nightclub, Barbara Poma and her husband, Rosario Poma, were not charged with anything. Over the years, there's also been debate on how to honor the forty nine people killed. There have been slow moving efforts to build a memorial and a museum to this end. Almost a month after the shooting in twenty sixteen, Barbara Poma, the co owner of the nightclub, created the One Polse Foundation with this very goal, among other commitments, to support the survivors and victims' families. But the NBC News affiliate station in Orlando found that those promises were not kept.
Speaker 11: Quickly and quietly, goals changed. First that promise to help those most impacted by the tragedy. By twenty nineteen, it was gone from the mission statement.
Speaker 9: Polma told the NBC station that they were trying not to duplicate efforts, and then in late twenty twenty three, the foundation dissolved with no memorial and no museum. The city of Orlando has now taken over the project to build a memorial on the Pulse site.
Speaker 6: I don't feel good with the city either, because they know their owner.
Speaker 9: Meanwhile, some Florida leaders continue to push anti LGBTQ actions and rhetoric. Just last year, the state painted over the Rainbow crosswalk near the Pole site that had been in place since the one year anniversary of the shooting, and Florida Governor Rond De Santis removed any mention of LGBTQ and Latinos during last year's annual honoring of the Pulse victims. This past March, the city of Orlando demolished the Pulse site. They're expected to open the memorial in twenty twenty seven. Georgshua and some of the other survivors and victims' families are still skeptical that it'll actually happen.
Speaker 10: It's sad because we do not have no memorial, so it's hard to call siera as when I see something loya gre.
Speaker 9: They remain committed to seeking accountability for the lives taken that night. As we mark ten years since the tragedy, Georghua wants the victims to be honored and remembered.
Speaker 10: It is time to they make the memorial, because it's time to us hail.
Speaker 9: In the past ten years, these forty nine angels haven't been able to rest in peace.
Speaker 10: Georghua says Temple Yes, according to Yah the counseling.
Speaker 1: And it's time to give them that piece.
Speaker 3: That was Latino USA producer Naldo Jr. Coming up on Latino USA. We unpacked the reverberations of the Pulse shooting for the LGBTQ plus community and talk about how to protect their rights and safety. Ten years after Pulse, Stay with us Notes.
Speaker 12: Scenaro presents the Chief My Corner with Via Rivera, the podcast work Dura, motherhood and pop culture Collide. I'm Ria Rivera, your host and your honorary homegirl, bringing when You Raw, Combo's healing moments and a little bit of spicy cheese me every week Catch the Teeth My Corner with b Rivera, an original podcast series from Sonaro. Wherever you listen to.
Speaker 3: Podcasts, it's Latino USA. I'm Marian Hossan. We are looking at the impact of the Pulse shooting a decade later and how anti LGBTQ plus rhetoric, how the policies and violence is actually threaded from that tragedy up until today. So to better understand this broader context, I spoke with Carl Charles. He's an Atlanta based trans attorney with Lambda Legal, an organization that helps fight for the civil rights of LGBTQ plus people in the United States. We discuss what the state of rights are for this community today. When I think back about the Pulse shooting, I remember so clearly just feeling this horror, a massacre in basically very Latino and Latina centric gay club. When I was younger, in my twenties, I was hanging out at all the Latino and Latina queer clubs in New York City, and so it felt like, oh, my god, this could have been me and my friends in the nineteen eighties and nineties. And so when you heard about Pulse, what do you remember immediately understanding about what had just happened in our country.
Speaker 4: I remember distinctly where I was when I heard about the Pulse massacre. It was early in the morning. I was waiting for my train back to New York City, and I had been in Philadelphia for a trans health conference at which I was presenting. I was still early in my legal career, and my dear friend called me and told me what had happened, and I sobbed sitting on the floor of Pennsylvania's Union Station. I can barely believe it was ten years ago just telling you that story.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're getting emotional right now, Carl, I am.
Speaker 4: It is a heartbreak that will never leave me, and it echoes, it reverberates across time for so many of us, and particularly for the Latino and Latina members of the LGBTQ community.
Speaker 1: What would you.
Speaker 3: Say has been one of the lasting impacts of what happened at Paul's for the LGBTQ community in the United States.
Speaker 4: From a personal perspective, I will share with you that when I go to gay clubs, I know where the exits are. I listen for particular sounds, I watch who's going in, check and see if there's security, and I know I am not alone in that assessment. Polls represented such a foundation of the Latino Latina LGBTQ plus community in Central Florida. There are so many clubs like that and places like that across the United States that were havens for the LGBTQ plus community, and now people are wary of going out and being in those places in the same care free manner that they once were, knowing that this can be the outcome. I mean, I am incredibly troubled and disappointed to highlight that in November of twenty twenty two, in my hometown of Colorado Springs, where I was raised, the Club Q shooting occurred. You know, we had almost a very similar incident occurring in a place where LGBTQ people have fought to be safe and to be together. And so this is the backdrop in which LGBTQ plus people are living.
Speaker 3: And what happened at Pulse ten years ago has been called an act of terrorism but not a hate crime. Help us to understand how this can be seen as an act of terrorism but not be categorized as a hate crime. It feels entirely confusing and disrespectful.
Speaker 4: I am in agreement with you, and I think this example in particular highlights in some ways the limits of the law to remedy immense harm that is done to people marginalized communities into the LGBTQ plus community. In particular, Hate crime statutes often depend on sufficient evidence to demonstrate motive, and it is wholly contingent upon the people who are investigating these kinds of crimes, and hate crimes often are too narrowly construed. They are don't often capture the nuances of these horrific incidents.
Speaker 3: Is there a thread from the Pulse shooting to the kind of rhetoric that we are living through today in a second Trump administration?
Speaker 4: Sadly, I think there are many connections to be made about the anti LGBTQ plus rhetoric that we are seeing now tracing back to the circumstances that gave rise to the Pulse massacre. I think that the rhetoric at this moment is really heightened, especially coming from state and local leaders. You know, the governor of Florida has not been shy about supporting anti LGBTQ measures, things as sort of atmospheric as refusing to allow sidewalks to be painted in rainbows.
Speaker 5: Florida Governor Ron DeSantis says all crosswalk murals must be removed by this week or the state will withhold transportation funding to unicipalities.
Speaker 4: You know, these symbolic things that tell a community you're welcome here, you belong here, we celebrate you. Trying to control those symbolic communications is really astounding, and I think speaks to the moment that we find ourselves in. The Trump administration in the first iteration didn't do what they are doing as effectively now, and that is trying to divide us as a community, trying to create a separation between trans people and LGBQ people right where there is no division. We are connected in more ways than we are different. And I think that they learn from the first administration and now have adjusted their game plan, as we can really see very clearly in Project twenty twenty five to zero in on attack transgender people, creating basically a boogeyman in the trans community and using that as a scapegoat for every every issue at any turn. Right and now here, we are really trying to hold the levees against a cultural moment that seems to be regressing towards very homophobic and transphobic perspectives. And this is part of our history. We march forward, we secure rights, people are harmed and suffer along the way, and we continue to push back against the forces that would remove us from society.
Speaker 8: We'll be right back, Yes, hey, we're back.
Speaker 3: I'm going to wrap up my conversation with Carl Charles now he's a lawyer with Lambda Legal. Now we are going to turn to LGBTQ rights in today's courtrooms. Carl is a lead litigator on the federal case brought by Lambda Legal against the Trump administration for trying to prevent trans and non binary people from obtaining accurate US passports. Why does this matter clearly for the queer community, but also for people who are not trends or who are not queer. Why should their ears be perking up and saying no, no, this shouldn't be happening for all of us.
Speaker 4: We all should be concerned about what happens to the most marginalized people in our communities. I think people outside the LGBTQ plus community should be especially concerned about the way that this administration has weaponar it's rhetoric and zeroed in with precision towards the rights of LGBTQ plus people, because if they can do it to this so called disfavored group, there's very little stopping them from doing it to many more people. In some respects, LGBTQ plus people are the canary and the coal mine of our democracy. Where our rights and protections go, so go those of many other people.
Speaker 5: Which brings me to the question of sports, which is everywhere in US culture the Supreme Court is hearing a case on the.
Speaker 10: DHAKA today, high stakes arguments about whether states can ban trendsgender athletes from competing in girls and women's sports teams.
Speaker 3: So what is this case and what are you expecting might happen and what do you think the repercussions will be?
Speaker 4: So LAMB de Legal and the ACLU have litigated for several years now BPJ versus West Virginia Board of Education and several other defendants. And we began representing our client BPJ back when she was eleven, who was open about being transgender, and who wanted to play school sports just like all of her friends. And that's really what's at the heart of this case. And yes, it is now up in front of the Supreme Court, and it asked the question, what really is at the heart of title mind? Does Title NIND really stand for equal access, equal participation regardless of a person's sex or is it only when a school decides a person sex or thinks it is appropriate or what have you. And we've marshaled all of that behind the humanity of a trans girl and she is withthstanding a great deal of harassment and attacks all for just being herself and for wanting to reap the same benefits of school sports as any of her peers.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to share something that recently happened to me with my family in Mexico. A cousin of mine who's older, used a term that I didn't understand, and then I was like, oh, this is an insult to the gay and queer community. And I stopped him right there and I said, Primo, you cannot use that term. And when you use terms like that in a family setting, it is disruptive and it's an insult. How can people be good allies to your community?
Speaker 4: Now, I just want to say thank you so much, Madia for taking the time to call in your family member, to call in your primo and say, hey, you're creating an environment where people don't feel welcome, where people do not feel like they want to be their full selves. No one would do that to you, so please think twice before you do that. Connecting with her friends and family about these issues, about issues impacting LGBTQ plus people in the United States and around the world, is as important in my view as any court case, because, as my friend Chase Strangio at the ACL, you said recently, Our legal arguments didn't change.
Speaker 13: What fundamentally changed with people's understanding of connection to the demands, the humanity, the tangible experience of gay people. And it was a massive shift, and it had taken decades.
Speaker 4: And that comes through things like what you did with your prima. It comes through conversations, relationships, It comes from talking about our experiences in our lives and connecting authentically with others around us. That's really the way that we continue to move forward in our fight for LGBTQ plus equality.
Speaker 3: So as a country, your words about how we should be reflecting on the ten years since the Pulse massacre.
Speaker 4: It's hard not to say that it's a somber moment. I text my friends on the anniversary every year, and we market and we mourn. I hope that the people who were lost to the Pulse massacre. I hope that if they were here, they would feel proud of what we have done in their name, which is try to change the world to make it a different and better place, a place where something like Pulse would be impossible. I know we're not there yet. I know we have much work to do. You know, I think that the next ten years for me are charting a course where we continue to move forward in the fight for LGBTQ plus equality, remembering always and taking with us those we have lost far too soon.
Speaker 5: Charles, thank you so much for joining me on Latino USA.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, Mariet.
Speaker 3: That was carl Charles, an attorney with Lambda Legal, and our hearts go out to all of those who lost loved ones at Pulse and also to the survivors. Our episode was produced by Renaos Junior. It was edited by Nicole Rothwell and Benny le Ramidez. It was mixed by Julia Caruso. Fact checking for this episode by Rosanna Aguire. Fernande Echavari is our managing editor. Nancy Trujillo is our production manager. The Latino USA team also includes Stephanie Lebau, Luis Luna Glori mar Marquez, Lueta, Martin, Monica Moreles Garcia, JJ and Adriana Rodriguez. Finny leiter Amidis and I are executive producers. I'm Your Host Maria no Josa. Latino USA is part of Iheart's Mike Udura podcast network. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomez and Arlene Santana. Join us again on our next episode. In the meantime, you can find us on all of your social media. I'll see you there. And dear listener, don't forget to join futuo Plus. You get to listen to everything ad free. It's super economical and you get cool behind the scenes events. Join fuduo Plus now, not Tebay.
Speaker 8: Yes Cho.
Speaker 14: Latino USA is supported by the Mellon Foundation. Melon makes grants to support the visionaries and communities that unlock the power of the arts and humanities to help connect us all more at Melon dot org and New York Women's Foundation. The New York Women's Foundation funding women leaders that build solutions in their communities and celebrating thirty years of radical generosity. Funding for Latino USA's coverage of a Culture of Health is made possible in part by a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
Speaker 13: Ver