Speaker 1: Welcome in What's Driving the Great Episode three sixty three. This episode as always brought to you by our great friends at boost Mobile. Demonsey. What a weekend. How about that teaser crushes? Your teaser won with ease, Buddy, Well, the Bills was a little bit of a sweat ended up not being a sweat. It's weird to have a team plus nine in a teaser that you're loot like they're gonna cost you the teaser, and then they win the game outright, But that happened Cleveland, no sweat, Dallas, no sweat. I almos, you were on the right side of it. I almost talked you out of it because I.
Speaker 2: Was saying closer, right, take.
Speaker 1: The Philly side. And because you don't think Dallas can win. Dallas, of course you know didn't win, but could have there, so right, teaser great. We It's not quite as good of a win, but avoiding a loss is all almost as good as a win. I dodged the dance through the rain drops on the producers stupid offer this week. I told you, listen, Travers's gonna throw him one. He's just gonna throw.
Speaker 2: Him one, like.
Speaker 1: I had no doubt that the Jags are gonna win that game, but Trevor's gonna give him one, and so we avoided that. And despite starting the slate Friday night with a loser case minus three for me, and then Miami plus one just gets absolutely annihilated. And on that note, I still will to finish the thought still winning weekend. Cleveland plus five could have won outright, should have won outright. We'll get to them. Raiders plus two and a half did win outright Buffalo plus one again, folks, this is the key to actually getting the right side of the line, not even the right side of the game. The books got a nigh laid for Bill's Ravens. Here's why. It starts Demons Bills minus a point and a half. So many people bet it. Hold on, do I have this right? So oh yeah, so yes, so many people bet Baltimore plus one and a half that it flips all the way to Bills to Baltimore. Let me start over, because I'm it's gonna be confusing for the audience. It opens Buffalo minus one and a half at home. All the action comes in on Baltimore getting a point and a half enough so the line flips all the way to Baltimore minus a point and a half, enough action comes in on Buffalo plus one and a half that it settles at Buffalo plus one, and then Buffalo wins by one. And so because of that, all the early Ravens betters getting the Ravens plus a point and a half one, and all the late Bills betters getting the Bills plus a point and a half or plus one one. That's a that's the worst case scenario for the books. And by the way, our show brought to you by our great friends at hard Rock bet that is, you really really want to avoid that exact scenario. But it also if you liked Buffalo in this game and you bet them early, you lost. If you had Buffalo minus a point and a half, you lost. Like so, all of that is noteworthy. Here's the other thing that's noteworthy. I have a lot invested in the Cults being bad. I was flirting with them being you know, having the number one pick, certainly them missing the playoffs, and you know, I have a lot of preseason investment in that, which means I now have Demond's a a defact do investment in the Dolphins better be absolutely horrific Like that game needs to have been about how bad Miami is, because if Miami's just average, then the Colts are good and I'm in trouble. I'm already starting.
Speaker 2: To behind the game back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so yeah, Daniel don't play the game of his life. So all right, so all of that coming up in the show. Here's how I want to do these Tuesday shows. I would like, in theory for us to spend at least twenty seconds on every single game like that, every game of the week, and will be addressed now maybe come week ten or eleven, if there's a game between two truly out of iderrelevant teams, will break that rule. But early in the season, there was only one game that I looked at and I was like, even twenty seconds? Is it too much on this game? Do you know game that was? Do you have a guess we're both teams? I'm like, do we need to talk about it? You nailed it, You nailed it.
Speaker 2: But that will hit this week. I feel like Arizona, Oh, thank you for saying that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So all of my Survivor picks this week were either Cardinals or Jags. Most Jags are our team one for the show was Jags It is so maddening that Brian Callahan's the worst coach I've ever seen in the in the last decade in the NFL, because forty percent of the million dollar pool would have been knocked out with the Broncos losing. You add seventy five percent of the pool had either Philly, which could have lost, Denver, which should have lost, or Cincinnati, which was dying to lose. Instead, every favorite one except for the Chiefs, Every big favorite one three points or more except for the Chiefs. All right straight to voicemail, brought to you by boost Mobile. Syracuse beat Yukon in overtime and then head coach made him to win sprints. Okay, Bill Belichick is imploding, is too strong, but it's not far from what he's doing when he talks about I'm not welcome there. Why would they be welcome here? Because you're trying to get your guys into the NFL. Bro and Demons question, are you reclaiming Daniel Jones or you.
Speaker 2: Need to see me claiming Daniel Jones? Okay, Like like you said, we got to see what the Colts are actually going to be about and what Miami is Uh. Okay, I'll be watching him watching them.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you, I don't know that I'll be watching him, at least not early on. I don't know that they're gonna make the They didn't make the I had six games on in front of me and the one o'clock window this weekend called Dolphins one one of them I did. And so we'll see, all right, please guys. Oh, by the way, I just got the numbers on the pod, like how many listeners we have? Obviously the YouTube numbers anybody can see. I'm very pleased and thankful and greatly appreciative of you guys who subscribed to the pod on iTunes and Spotify, even if you consume it, if you consume it just on YouTube. If you would just go to your phone and subscribe on iTunes or Spotify, it would help us. If you throw us a rating, that would help us as well, five stars as obviously preferred. But just give us your honest rating, and you know, subscribe on YouTube as well. All that stuff is super helpful. All right, Monday night football, de monsay, and we might have a problem.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, So the Bears came. It came out looking pretty good. Caleb had that nice drive. In the beginning of the game seemed like they were controlling it, even JJ McCarthy threw a pick six, but they still turned it around and won. So obviously, Caleb Williams loss last night. What was your biggest takeaway from this game?
Speaker 1: All right, I'm officially a little concerned about Caleb. I was not at any point last year, but the sequence of the last ninety six hours where I listen, I'm a subscriber. I was already a subscriber to Tyler Dunn substack. It's like fifty bucks for the whole year support real journalism. He is the guy if people are like, I, oh, let me it's go long TD. Let me see if you go to golongtd dot com if that takes you there, I actually don't know the answer that no, so hold on, let me see what the actual so oh no it does. Oh maybe yeah, golongtd dot com. But it's on substack. He is the guy who broke the story a year ago demons that Sean McDermott tried to rally the troops by being like the nine to eleven hijackers thing. He has real sources, he is a real journalist. He's totally independent, so I was already a subscriber of his. He has released a three part book on Caleb's first year with the Bears, It Ain't Great and it is to me highly concerning. It also discusses it's a The person who comes out looking the worst is Ryan Poles the GM. Caleb doesn't look great though in it either, and it talks about a shaky work ethic, not necessarily galvanizing leadership, and in a shocking statement from some of his sources that there is a belief within the front office that was kept from the coaching staff, that Caleb might have the learning disability dyslexia, which there is obviously no shame in that at all. However, one of the ways dyslexia can manifest itself, obviously is you transpose words or letters, and that one of the reasons they postulate he might have trouble translating the play call from his headset to his wristband getting it in, getting plays in on time is a confusion about what he's reading. And that is not something that is, you know, you can't overcome, but it is something that has to be accounted for. And the reporting is that the front office kept it from his coaches last year. Now, obviously Ben Johnson, one would think has all this information. And if you watched last night, you saw most notably that play on the sideline when Caleb spun out of trouble, went to the sideline and then ripped an absolute laser to I don't know if it was DJ Moore or Rome. I'm not sure why the talent demands is undeniable and hypnotizing. It just is like and you saw that obviously throughout his remarkable collegiate career. But his right now deficit on the pre these snap parts of being an NFL quarterback to me, are going to slow his development. And you saw that left and right last night, that getting plays in was still a problem. Motioning guys when there's a few seconds on the shot on the shot clock, on the game clock or play clock was still a problem. Like some things that he really needs to be at this point, in my opinion, better at those things have become one game in have not improved, And.
Speaker 2: You don't think his decision making at all improved a little bit from last year.
Speaker 1: So I do think his decision making improved. I'm talking about the pre snap operation. I'm talking about getting the team out of the huddle, conveying the play call in time, doing the things necessary to prevent these five yard pre snap penalties. That was brutal. The whole night just was. And while his decision making I thought was better and he was quicker getting the ball out, his accuracy was shaky.
Speaker 3: He's putting a lot, he missed a lot on them, putting a lot on the lot on the ball and also just missing.
Speaker 1: There were a couple spots he missed guys wide open. And so if I am being fair, which I have to be, I I still believe in Caleb Williams. I am less certain that superstardom is in his future. And I think that is for me as a guy who said he would come into the league as a top ten quarterback. Uh tough pill to swallow, trust me, But.
Speaker 2: You don't think it might be a little a little early with it being game one, Like if they were to go and put it on the Lions, what would that change stuff immediately?
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm gonna look back on this and say I was, you know, ten hours after the game in his reactionary. But I am like I am, I understand most of the audience has not read the Tyler Dunn story, and again, his sub stack is golong tv dot com. I highly encourage people. It's it's worth the six bucks a month. It's less than that four bucks a month. It's worth it just to read this story. Totally honest with you. That story shook my faith in a real way. And then this game. You of course, listen, he started ten of ten. It started great, it ended so poorly. And listen, he's not the only culprit in this, which brings us to Ben Johnson, where there were I didn't like Ben Johnson's decision early to not kick the field goal. I just think you don't have the Lions team from last year. You're also playing a team that is going to be hard to accumulate points on as evidence by the fact your offense, you know, struggled to score points throughout the night. I know they finished with twenty four. One touchdown came with two minutes left and another one was a pick six. But JJ at that, you know what I mean? There was reasona believe JJ would struggle early, and he did. But the bigger problem is, and evidently Peyton Manning peeped this on the Manning cast because of course he did. I was surprised Joe and Troy didn't. But this is going to This is a coaching note that is simply it listen. Nobody's in the Brian Callahan category. More on him later. But this was a mistake by Ben. So here's situation. He understood we've got a score before the two minute warning. Caleb almost ran it in before the two minute warning at two oh four, two oh five. They end up ruling him, you know, out of bounds at the six inch line. They then do a quick pass score. They score it two. They have one timeout. With the two minute warning and one timeout. If you force a three and out, you're gonna get the ball back without a minute left, down three points and be alive. Without the two minute warning and one timeout, you're gonna get the ball back with about twenty seconds left and be dead. It's that simple. The two minute warning must be retained in part because I think Ben challenged a play because he didn't understand the rule. Now that's a tricky rule because so let me back up to it. The rule is if someone is knee is on the ground and you touch them, they're down immediately. What Ben Saw or his guy in the booth. Saw is, oh, we didn't touch the player with who was down. We punched the ball, and we punched the ball so cleanly. It did not We never touched the player until the ball was loose. So is that a fumble? And so he challenged it and the answer is no, it's not even just touching the ball. When a player is down on the ground, he's down. So that's like a nuance of the rule. Head coach needs to know that. So like that was so that's why they only had one time out instead of two. But now we get to two h two left and Cairo Santos, who missed the field goal earlier and is not known for the strongest of legs, Demonse Ben Johnson tells him kick it out of the back of the end zone to retain the two minute warning. Kevin O'Connell tells his guy, if you can return it, return it, don't worry about the yardage, just return it to burn these two seconds sidebar. No one's ever done this, but I would encourage it. The actual sharpest play there for that returner, if he only has to burn two seconds, is to catch it and run sideways. Staying in the end zone to burn as much time as possible and then just step out the back of the end zone for a touchback or kneel it for a touchback. Then you still get the thirty five yard line. You don't risk a fumble, you burn more time because the guys have to get to you. But again, that is PhD level coaching, of which you know not everyone is here yet. That's fine. Kevin O'Connell did a great job with it. But here is the nuanced part that matters, in particular with the new touchback rules. Demonse. The new touchback.
Speaker 2: Rule is.
Speaker 1: If you kneel it in the end zone. If you kick it into the end zone and they kneel it, they get it on the thirty five. They did not change the fact that if you kick it out of bounds, you get it at the forty. So if the oh, if the single most important thing to your team is that they not be able to return this kick and you don't have a cannon legged kicker who can kick it out in the back of the end zone on command, then you don't ask him to kick it out the back of the end zone, which he might not be able to do. You ask him fire that thing forty five degree angle right out of bounds, which everyone can do. You give up five yards? Who cares you guarantee? So instead the thirty five, it's the forty that doesn't matter. What matters is now that next play happens at two two. There's nothing they can do about it. That was a mistake by Ben Johnson. I saw it in real time. Peyton Manning on the Manning cast evidently saw it in real time, and I and I thought that that was a mistake. So listen, I thought, I don't think that was like an awful first game by Ben Johnson, but the bad challenge and the trusting that Cairo Santos can just boom it out in the back of the end zone were very costly mistakes.
Speaker 2: So were you giving him as a greade in his first game?
Speaker 1: Blew a big lead offense didn't really get going after the opening script those mistakes C plus C plus C plus giving him a C plus. All right, let's spend a second on JJ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was about to say, so, after seeing that performance by JJ, what do you expect from him moving forward?
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I think that the comeback and his role in it and the confidence he's going to get from it. You know, if they if they didn't get that comeback at the end and was just he threw a pick six and they lose, I think the next few weeks could be real rough. Instead, a guy whose rep coming in was just a winner, makes big plays, galvanizing force, just adds to it in his first ever NFL game. Pretty good, Like that part is really good. So I didn't think he was that impressive. I didn't think he was that good, but he had the moments which I think, are you know, super relevant and super you know, useful, And so I want to give him credit for that. Am I am? I sold entirely that, like you know, he's going to be a franchise quarterback. No, of course not yet after one game. But for what his rep was, Demons, that was an awesome start.
Speaker 3: That was description Yes for sure, will you giving let's go ahead, will Caleb.
Speaker 2: Be getting similar treatment to the Prince? You know how Trevor had bad coaching and then he had his coach and that was officially his first year.
Speaker 1: Well let's listen. I mean, if Trevor does what the Prince did, which is have an awesome second year, make the playoffs, win a playoff game, then yeah, we can just say or if Caleb does sorry, if Caleb does what Trevor did, we can just say, yeah, it was it was all on Eberflus, and I think a lot of it was on Bear's dysfunction eber flues. Again, I'm not saying like I'm out on Kalin. I am saying that the stuff, some of the stuff that I wanted him to be just a little tighter on, I didn't see. And that's just that, just is what it is, all right, if you guys didn't see it before. We are extremely excited to announce our new presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet. Everybody knows and loves the hard rock hotels and casinos, and now you can use the top rated hard Rock Bets sportsbook to place your bets all NFL season and beyond. Hard Rock Bet is the only legal sportsbook in the state of Florida and is also now available in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, and Colorado, with more states launching all the time. You can also play on hard Rock Bets online casino. If you are a in New Jersey. Throughout the football season, We'll be using hard Rock Bet lines to make our predictions for the biggest games as we gear up for the NFL season. Sign up for hard Rock Bet. Make a five dollars bet and you'll get one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets. If you win, head over to hard Rock Bet sign up and make your first deposit today, payable in bonus bets, not a cash offer offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida. In Florida offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital, LLC and all other states, must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concern about gambling in Florida, call one eight eighty eight, Admit it in Indiana. If you are someone you know as a gambling problem wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem Call one eight hundred gambler in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia. Reminder of everyone out there like rate subscribe review, We would greatly appreciate that. If you're new to the channel, thank you. If you're checking us out live, we appreciate that. Feel free to put some questions or comments in the chat as well. All right, Demanse, Let's get to the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: All right. So Chargers in the Herbert are Chargers in the Herbert Chargers and Herbert did about everything correctly against your Chiefs on Saturday? Was that Friday night? Sorry? Last week you said how important this game, how important this game was with Philly the Super Bowl rematch coming up, and you admitted that you weren't as nervous when you saw how the rest of the AFC played. How are you feeling out? This is a safe space. If you want to come out and say that you're a little worried, you can't.
Speaker 1: So I'm not worried about the AFC West. I thought the Chargers played great. I think the short version of it is I thought the Chiefs played really poorly. I think the Xavier Worthy injury was not having a player for a month that you know you're not gonna have is one thing. Losing a player three plays into a game when you've built your game plan for that game around that player's skill set is a different thing, so I you know what I mean. I also think there was a true emotional You've got to be kidding me. Here we go again. You know, last year, lose Hollywood Brown before the season starts, Rashi Rice gets hurt in week four, You're going through it now. Three plays into the year, Xavier Worthy friendly fire. You know, his shoulder pops out. So I think all that, you know, played a part in how the Chiefs looked. My concerns for the Chiefs are really like, because Rashi'll be back, and Worthy, I believe escaped major injury. I think Worthy could be back in two weeks. He's not gonna have surgery. He's gonna wear a harness now, he's one hundred and sixty pounds. It could happen again, yes, and if it happens again, he has to have surgery. And so that's the you know, that's the issue. This is. You know, my take on skinny football players is sadly. You know, there's a reason I have it. The part of the Chiefs. There are two pieces of the Chiefs game from this from Friday night that for them to win the Super Bowl have to improve. Okay, one is the running game can't be that bad, just can't be. Pachecko's gotta be better at seeing where the blocks are and hitting the hole, and I like Isaiah, He's gotta be better. So that's one piece of it. The other piece of it is that the pass rush paired with the secondary got carved up in a way I have not seen the Chiefs secondary carved up in years. Truly. That has to instantly get better if they're gonna win a championship, okay, or compete for a championship. Those are fair and legitimate. Week one concerns. What I am truly beside myself about is the commentary after that game about Patrick and this is where I will die on this goddamn hill. And I apologize if it sounds like I'm in reruns here, but I have to just very quickly give folks the sequence of the last twenty six months in the NFL or so and how many people just have the total inability to remember their own opinions. Okay. Going into the twenty twenty two season, there was legitimate chatter about, ah, will the Chiefs take a massive step back without Tyreek Hill? What will Patrick look like without Tyreek Hill. How will Patrick and the Chiefs respond to not having that weapon and losing the AFC Championship game the way they did? He responded by winning League MVP, setting the still standing record for most total yards in a season, and then in the postseason beating the team that beat him the previous year on a bomb ankle, and then playing a perfect Super Bowl to the tune of thirty eight points. And then in February of twenty twenty three, folks said, I can't I can't doubt Patrick, two time MVP, two times Super Bowl MVP. Okay, that's February of twenty twenty three, it is now. You then go to January of twenty twenty four, again not ages ago, and the general consensus is this is the worst Chiefs team of the Mahomes zero. They are super vulnerable, They no one can catch the ball. And then and they're underdogs in three consecutive playoff games. People look at the Bills. They have to go to Buffalo, the Bills have the better team, and Patrick outplays Josh and wins. They have to go to Baltimore. Baltimore as a far better team and Patrick out plays Lamar and wins. And then in overt in the Super Bowl, executes another ten point comeback, plays another perfect fourth quarter in overtime, wins the Super Bowl, and in February, February of twenty twenty four, everyone agrees, all right, I'm really never doubting Patrick again, I promise. And then last year happens and the Chiefs win games but look funny doing it, and then there is real doubt once again. And then the AFC Championship Game rolls around and a Chiefs team that hasn't been able to score more than thirty points all year puts thirty two on Buffalo, and Patrick out plays Josh to get to his third straight Super Bowl. And in February of this year, two games ago, the universally held consensus is the following. Patrick Mahomes is one game away from arguably from having a real argument he's the greatest player of all time because of the three peat. The Chiefs are worse than Philadelphia at running back, offensive line, wide receiver, defensive line defense as a whole. But I'm picking the Chiefs because you can't bet against Patrick. They're the favorites because of that, they're the media pick because of that. That's two games go, he walks into that game with everyone saying, all right, we cant like he's he's elevating. He's in a different class than Josh, who's beaten four times now Lamar, who had another tough playoff moment, all of it two games ago. They then get crushed in the Super Bowl, have a rough week one, and now all those same fucking people are like, all right, you know, let's be serious. Josh and Lamar, they they've elevated past him. Just remember your own goddamn takes. People. It was February of twenty twenty five that you after they won again to get to the third straight Super Bowl for a team that everyone acknowledges he's the only player in the league that could have won seventeen games with that team had that team in the Super Bowl. Everyone said, he's in a different class of player, and we are so fickle, and so what have you done for me lately? That Two games later, one of which, by the way, Demonse he was the best player for the chief sint he played awesome Friday night, people are like, I'm not sure what's wrong with Mahomes. It's gonna drive me insane. Two games ago, you thought he was a game away from being the goat. Now you have him as the fifth best quarterback in football presently. And I come across as an apologist because I'm the only person that remembers these things. Evidently all of you in the media that picked the Chiefs in the Super Bowl did it because of him. You thought the Eagles were better everywhere else, and now that same guy, you're like, I don't know. It's embarrassing. It's a sad state of affairs. That three games ago, folks said, I mean, Josh Patrick, how can you even make an argument? And now again, think about that late January of twenty twenty five. We are in twenty twenty five. Everyone set their swords down and said, okay, listen, Patrick's best player in the world. And then because he played poorly in his fifth Super Bowl, third consecutive and Josh was playing golf, folks are like, I don't know. And then one week, one game, and now it's the general consensus. It's a it's a crazy, crazy turn of events.
Speaker 2: Man. You think because it was like a shootout with Baltimore and Buffalo, everybody's like, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Josh was unbelievable in that game. Lamar was unbelievable in that game. I'm not doubting that. I just want. I just want people again. I am not Well, what I don't want is this. I'm not trying to live off twenty eighteen and be like, well, Patrick has a Super Bowl from five years ago and Josh and Lamar don't. I'm trying to live off this calendar year a few games ago. So dumb. It's so so so dumb. And today spoiler alert on TV on Mahomes Mountain, I'm still gonna have Mahomes at the top, and people are gonna call it outrageous. People are going to say it's outrageous, like Colin is saying Josh is the most talented player he's ever seen. Simmons is saying Josh's best quarterback in the league. Again, what were you guys saying two games ago? Ask it? Go look check the archives.
Speaker 2: Is talented the same thing as winningest. Oh, Because I do feel like Josh Allen has more of the athletic gifts. I should say Patrick Mahomes obviously gifted, but.
Speaker 1: Then why does it so? Then? But then but that that's to me, I mean, we can we can walk down that path But then that's almost an insult to Josh, because Josh a few of these games has had the better roster. In all of the games, he's had the better defense. In one of the games he was at home. So if he's the better physical talent, it's a fair fight teammate wise, why can he not win? It's just like, I don't know. I think that's that's I wouldn't if I were a Josh Allen fan, I wouldn't want that to be the argument. My guy's actually the most talented but just can't win like that. I'd rather it be my guy's an all time, all time talent. Your guy just is superhuman. But I don't. I don't know, all right. By the way, I am so excited. I'm going to Kansas City on Friday, or I'm going Thursday. We're doing the show from Kansas City on Friday and end. I think I might stay in town to watch Chiefs Eagles. And as you guys know, I don't I'm not a I'm not a press pass guy. Now. Would I be a you know, the you know Kelsey or Mahomes sweet guy if I were invited, sure, maybe, But assuming that invite, you know, those those those sweet seats. At this point, I think because of some of the people sitting there, you, I think you might have to pass an FBI background check that I don't know if I would pass. So I'm probably just gonna have to if I stay for the game, buy my own tickets, and you know where I would get tickets to the Chiefs Eagles rematch. Seat geek. Want to give a sponsor to Today's or shout out to the sponsor Today's show. Seat Geek twenty eight million downloads. Seat geek number one rated ticketing app. More than seventy thousand events listed on seat geek, including concerts, sports festivals, and more. With the NFL season here and the MLB playoffs approaching, now is the perfect time to go to get to a game. I love. I love using seat geek. I use it for the US Open the whole tournament. You guys might have seen on Instagram. We had some six seats thanks to my friend Chad for the quarterfinals we went with our family earlier. We get all those tickets all through seat geek and again for Chiefs Eagles, there's seats available, you can get them here on seat geek, and again they have your back. Each ticket is rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. So look for the green dots. Green means good, red means bad. Every ticket is backed by their buyer guarantee. And if you guys could help me out, it would be great. You can use code write ten wright ten. Shout out to First Things First producer Tatiana. I know she used this for some US Open tickets. You get ten percent off your next set of tickets at seat geek. Ten percent off any tickets with promo code RTE ten. Make sure you click link in the inscription download the app. You have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later. Thank you to our friends at seat Geek. All right, demons, let's get to the game of the weekend, Bill's Ravens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the game didn't disappoint obviously, Buffalo came back against my Ravens. That fifteen point lead erased harball has now blown seventeen double digit second half leads. Bigger story here is the Bills win? Or is it the Ravens loss?
Speaker 1: What do you think the bigger story is?
Speaker 2: The bigger story here is oh my gosh, the Ravens gotta stop shooting themselves in the foot. The penalties and just the fun. The penalties are just so frustrating the penalties and just how we move when we need something. The Bills have the momentum, they're coming back, and we're running end rounds with Save Flowers just rather get a first down.
Speaker 1: And well, I'm glad you did you bring up that end around with Jay Flowers the because I from what I said on the show yesterday, or did that bother you organically much? Yeah? That play Demons is like lost in the conversation surrounding the game. That was insane, Like you need one first down to win the game. Derrick Henry is killing them. I understand Henry got stuffed on first down. You cannot use one of your downs Onsea Flowers, You just can't. It's gotta be lamar ball in his hands, you know, if see someone open throws it or run or Derrick Henry. So that I agree with entirely, and I also agree with you the biggest stories of the Ravens loss because the Bills listen. Josh Allen is an unbelievable player, and since he stopped turning the ball over. He stopped being a roller coaster and I stopped calling him one. Like I've been fair about Josh. Josh always had this amazing talent. He was a little too high variants of a player early. He removed some of that variants and now he's just a killer. So the Bill's coming back is not that shocking. The Bill's defense looking as bad as it did for the vast majority of that game is actually a little concerning. Like, weirdly, if I were a Bills fandomond, I would be over the moon, thrilled about the win. And you have the tiebreaker and you have the easier schedule. You've never had the one seed since you've been since you've had Josh Allen, you now have a real shot at it this year. Like all of that is super positive, But deep down I'd be like, yikes, that defense like that, that's a bit of a concern. But the story is Baltimore once again inventing a way to lose because they this is what they do. And I know Harbaugh. Harbaugh tried to make the point essentially that at Harbaugh tried to make the point that, yeah, we've blown a lot of big leads, but we have a lot of big leads. Like how fair? You know what I mean? Like we we're in this position more than most. Mike Sando has this these figures. I think it's good. Since the start of the twenty twenty two season, there are seven teams demanse who have had multiple score fourth quarter leads at least twenty times. Okay, so seven teams have had multiple score fourth quarter leads at least twenty times, and Harbaugh is right that the Ravens have the most. Most of them. The Bengals and the Bills have twenty one, the Lions have twenty two, the Chiefs have twenty four, the Niners have twenty five, the Eagles have twenty eight, and the Ravens have thirty one. So that is a lot. Here's the problem, though, record in those games from best to worst, the Chiefs are twenty four and oh and honestly, I just did a whole Mahomes thing. I don't need to do it again. That's the least surprising stat in the world. Because while it's been a while since the Chiefs have been able to generate some big lead, the idea, I can't even conceptualize what it would look like for the Chiefs to blow a big lead. No, for you know what I mean, for the Chiefs to be up thirteen in the fourth and lose the like with Patrick. It just doesn't happen. Like they're not gonna make those mistakes. And Andy obviously deserves credit for that too. But the Chiefs are twenty four and oh. The next best is the Eagles twenty seven and one, then the Line twenty one and one, the Bengals twenty and one, the Niners twenty three and two, and the second worst is the Bills at nineteen and two and then the Ravens at twenty five and six. So yes, the Ravens have had more, slightly more opportunities, but the Chiefs have never lost in the last three years in that spot. The Eagles, Lions, and Bengals have lost once, the Niners and Bills have lost twice, and the Ravens have lost six times. That's not nothing. It's just not nothing. And I don't I don't know that the hardball Lamar combo is gonna get over the hump man. I just don't. And it's Lamar's obviously, you know, just getting better as a player, getting better in the playoffs, like I also thought, demons, how did you feel when you saw hardball was punting on fourth and two and a half.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's easy to say looking back at the game, like, definitely got to go for that, but also we weren't stopping them, so it probably does make more sense to go for it in that situation because the Bills have just been been doing everything they wanted. So it's it's not fourth and five.
Speaker 1: Well, and here's the other piece, and I.
Speaker 2: Go Lamar and Derrick Henry and.
Speaker 1: I know Lamar said he was cramping. But what you can do there is because the Bills used a timeout. They use the timeout, you get two minutes there to kind of recover. You then trot your offense out, try to draw them off sides forty seconds to recover. If you don't call timeout, another two minutes to recover, and then you got to go for it because if you if you don't get it, you might get the ball back, you know what I mean. If you don't get it and they score, you get the ball back. And if you do get it, the game's over. And here's my only criticism of Lamar from that game. My only criticism when he threw the pass on third and nine where he did three yards short of this, I assumed.
Speaker 3: I think it was actually the Hopkins I think and talked to him, Yeah it was. Yeah, I assumed he threw it there because he like obviously correct, but he was comfortable throwing it short of the sticks because it's four down territory, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, that's what I assumed was the case. If you're not if you don't know you're going for it, you can't and you can't throw short of the sticks there, like you've got to try to go get the first down. I also have a question for you to want say, and if the answer is had nothing to do with the game, that's fine. You sent out a tweet an hour into the game that said that that had a superhero, a bowl of ramen maybe, and then a trophy. Before you tell me what that is, I have a question. Is that a bowl of ramen in the in the picture.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a ball. It's like, was it specifically?
Speaker 1: Are you are you going to tell us what that was?
Speaker 2: I was about to eat.
Speaker 1: I knew it.
Speaker 2: I was good. Yes, we come out and be fair. Yes, yeah, everything to do with the game. I was tweeting super Bowl Champs. I thought the Bravens is gonna win the game. That's why I left it cryptic.
Speaker 1: But super Bowl Champs, it's I had it totally wrong. I thought I had it totally wrong, and I thought our producers were gonna laugh. What people don't know about you is, while you're not what I would call a chef, you do consider yourself a bit of like an elite. Yes, Like I had eggs and different ramas, and I honestly thought you were watching the game and made yourself like a great Ramen meal watching it and were like calling yourself like the king of making Ramen noodles. I swear to god, that's what I thought. I now, super Bowl Champ, that's pretty good. All right, that's pretty good. Okay, all right? Do you have a you have a Derreck Henry tweet for me or to not tweet a question?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, um yeah, oh yeah. So aside from the fumble, Henry looked good as ever. Obviously, he had one hundred and sixty nine yards and two touchdowns. Do you think that it's safe to say that the cliff isn't coming this year? Because you said he was getting a hold.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure doesn't seem like cliffs coming. Holy Moly, that guy is unbelievable futures, unbelievable player. Yeah, all right, the and I have no problem with Lamar shoving the fan. Neither fans shoved him. First, I have no prom not only they didn't talk about on the broadcast, Bill's fans stop throwing ship on the field. They were the they were the originators of throwing sex toys on sporting event fields before it caught off, caught fire in the w n B A and when Lamar, when Derek Henry was running for his touchdown, they threw a water bottle on the field. They famously threw snowballs at the Chiefs, like icy snow. Like, stop throwing stuff on the field, Like I have to listen every year to how Buffalo's got the greatest fans in the world because it's cold there and they shovel the stadium for him, Like, stop throwing stuff on the field. All right, let's talk about the other biggest game of the weekend before we do quick hitters on the rest.
Speaker 2: So Green Bay backed up their preseason hype by dominating the Lions thanks to Michael Parsons on defense, at Jordan Love on that offense, Michael Parsons was limited though. So on the other hand, you had some doubts about Detroit in the beginning of the season or preseason, should I say, that seemed to come to life. It seemed to be justified.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so to me, listen, Micah was unbelievable. Mike had the one sack, but he his pressure caused another sack. Another one of his pressures caused the interception. This whole narrative, Well, Mike is a great pass rusher, but he just kills you against the run. The Lions ran for the second for the fewest yards they've run for in almost two full calendar years. MICHAEH. Parsons is an all time great player, and uh well maybe maybe Kenny Clark for Micah, Like it's and I ain't. Kenny Clark's an excellent player. And the point that I'd been making when people were like, well, how you know, Dan Campbell tried to tell the media like we were actually happy Kenny Clark got out of there. We are more worried about him. Kenny Clark is such a good player, and he is I know Kenny Clark. I like Kenny Clark. Kenny Clark is such a good player that if you attach two first round picks to him, you can trade him for a player as good as Michah Parsons. That's how good Kenny Clark is. Kenny Clark plus two first round picks can get you a Hall of Famer like Micah Parsons. So don't like this idea that Micah I was gonna have an impact was so stupid. And the Packers, if Jordan Love can just take care of the ball, is are gonna be really dangerous. The story there, though, is the Lions because not a promising first game without Ben Johnson, without Aaron Glenn, with the new interior of the offensive line and Demonse the five teams that everyone thought were gonna be great in no order, Eagles, Lions, Ravens, Bill's Chiefs. Every year one of those teams that everyone thinks it's gonna be great falls off, has a year from hell. Last year it was the Niners, the year before it was the Bengals. Like the there's always a team now some people listening right now and be like, it's gonna be your Chiefs. Maybe we'll see I trust reeing Mahomes we'll see. None of the five, oddly, demonse, I think, loved their games this weekend. The Eagles certainly didn't love how they played. The Ravens loved how they played for fifty five minutes, then hated it. The Bills feel the best, but don't love how their defense played, The Chiefs hate how they played, and the Lions really hate how they played. But of those five, I think the Lions are in the most jeopardy. I think that, and I think golf, you get them off his spot. Man, he can struggle, and they got him off his spot consistently. I didn't know, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say the Lions win total dropped to eight and a half. They entered the season at ten and a half. Do you think that?
Speaker 1: I think well, I think depending on the book. Some books had them enduring the season at nine and a half, and then they lose this game, like yeah, I mean, the Lions right now are probably a coin flip to make the playoffs in Vegas. Like that's I don't.
Speaker 2: Think that's the most reaction in one.
Speaker 1: Green Bay was favored because the game was in Green Bay. But still I just but they were faired by like one you know what I mean. So that game was considered a coin flip. So I don't think it's just the loss. I think it's how they looked all right. Ever, sign up for a phone plan, thinking wow, amazing price. Then a few months later, surprise your bills. Hire with Boost Mobile. You pay twenty five dollars a month forever. That's unlimited talk, text and data starting at just twenty five dollars a month, no price, heikes, no contract forever. Plus. Boost Mobile is now a legit nationwide five G network. They've invested billions building five G towers across the country. Visit boostmobile dot com or head to your local boost store today and get unlimited talk, text and data for twenty five dollars a month for ever. Five G speeds not available in all areas. After thirty gigs, customers may experience their speeds. Customers will pay twenty dollars a month as long as they remain active on the unlimited Boost plan. A right to demons. Let's see thirty seconds ish guaranteed on each game, and then we'll you know, because we have gone long. But I said I wanted to hit something on every game, so let's hit them all go ahead.
Speaker 2: Uh, so we can help you. Wanted to start from the top. We got Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers rolled Steelers offense looked great. How real is this?
Speaker 1: I listen. I know Steelers fans want to believe the defense letting Justin Fields look like a superstar and allowing thirty points thirty that was a fluke. The offense looking amazing, that was not a fluke. I think they were both a little fluky. And I think that the defense will be better the offense will be a little worse. I also thought Aaron's comments after the game was like, yeah, I was happy to beat everyone in that organization. All that organization did for two years was give you every single thing you wanted. They hired your buddy, they traded for your friends, They did every single thing they could do to accommodate you. And you feel scorned because you got fired, Like, give me a break, and this whole thing of you had me fly out here to be fired. If he had fired you over the phone, you would have been justice pissed. So no, I am not yet buying stock in the Steelers. I did think Justin Fields played well.
Speaker 2: Next, your guy Bake show led a game winning drive Atlanta. You're young way who missed a field goal to win the game, Yah, or to tie the game. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't think Baker played great, but he did play clutch. But the story of that game was a Mecha Buka, their first round pick, who was caught the game winner and was awesome. Like they they did something I think interesting, which is they're like, we're not drafting for need, We're drafting best player, and they thought of mecha Buka was awesome. Didn't matter that they have Godwin at some point coming back and Mike Evans, they drafted him anyway, and he made an instant impact. And I love right now now. I love Tampa getting that win without Tristan Wurfs against the only team in their division that could have any chance of competing with them, and getting it on the road. That is such a huge win. So shout out to Baker.
Speaker 2: Next uh who looked better to you? Bow Nicks are the number one pick and cam Ward.
Speaker 1: Listen, Cam Cam just has to stop throwing everything one hundred and fifty miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Guards.
Speaker 1: I mean he's throwing it. He's throwing it over the middle in front of guys as hard as he can. So he's gotta calm down. That bow Nicks looks horrific. And he made one good play at the end of the half. But the story of that game is Bill Callahan or Brian Callahan, pardon me who. It's six', three there are forty seconds left in the first, half you have the, Lead you're on your own five yard, line And, denver and this is the, key only has two. Timeouts so if you run the ball three times or even take, knees you guarantee that you go into halftime with the. Lead guarantee. It, instead he has Bow knicks drop back into the. Air i'm, sorry Cam wore dropped back into the end, zone almost get. Safety throw throwing completions and They denver gets a touchdown before the. Half now somehow they had a great kick, return so they got a field goal. Anyway but so it's ten to nine before the, half And denver feels great instead of being six' to three With bow knicks being. A, MESS listen i told you GUYS that I thought denver might have a good record. Early on they could have lost, that game But the denver's offense is not what people have promised you what would be their defense Is And sean payton lay in the game going for a style points touchdown that could have cost him. The, game like IT'S just i do not believe In. THE broncos i feel better About my broncos fading even after the week.
Speaker 2: One win next only seem to Like. The Broncos your? Jags won are you more In? On trevor you wore a Heut.
Speaker 1: On bryce trevor. Was fine Bryce was bryce might have been the worst quarterback in the league.
Speaker 2: This weekend see a little clips, Of him Sir k morale on, the media like he's like watching the. Jumbo tron they said he was looking at the mini game in the middle of. THE game i.
Speaker 1: DID see I did wilds mention that. To me but it was, a, really really really rough Game. For bryce and he's the number one overall pick in. Year, three like, come on gotta. Be better jags could. BE good i told, you Guys. Division jacks jags could. Be good, oh yeah that's one of. Your bets.
Speaker 2: Next decision Uh the raiders, look Good pat patriots. Look awful what is the biggest? Story?
Speaker 1: HERE listen, I mean jent wasn't the reason gent nineteen carries thirty. Eight yards gino stood in that socket and just, delivered downfield threw for three to sixty got, you know threw, a pick got lit up just through. Delivered Downfield the patriots not being able to move the ball And that raiders defense is a five alarm. Fire Concern And drake may is officially, on Midwatch Like drake may Like not, pumpkin watch because that's not the point where he's in. His career he is on he might just not be. That good and that was a very dispiriting performance From, the patriots very dispiriting. For Them. THE raiders i told, you Guys the raiders could be.
Speaker 2: Good Though, Next uh cincinnati got bailed Out by cleveland's. Crummy Kicking is cincinnati slow starts or they come into? An?
Speaker 1: END no I mean i. THOUGHT this i thought they were worse this year than when they Lost In new england. Last year if You're, the bengals you have to feel sick like you're happy. You won But the browns moved. The ball the only And the browns didn't score more was Two passes flacco threw off guy's hands that. Got picked you Had the bengals had seven yards Yards to monsey in the. Second half they had a seven yards, second half like and it seems impossible because. They won This Is joe burrow was in the exact opposite narrative category, of mahomes, where like no matter what happens, with mahomes people are gonna find a way to pick. At it burrow's in. The opposite last year It for, burrow, was well they, don't win but he's, been amazing so what are you? Gonna say and then this week he was awful but, they won and, they're, like well he didn't, play well but, They won so what are you? Gonna, SAY like i, don't know we gotta pick one like the and SO No. I cincinnati cincinnati had the worst win of. The, weekend Okay.
Speaker 2: So dave was Committed to russ for? Week two how do you think he should play this if he plans on keeping.
Speaker 1: HIS job i actually think he should Go. TO jamis i think they don't want to Go to. DART yet i think dark they want to give him like four or five six weeks before they go. To Him but russ is, clearly done so why not Go? To jamis let, you Know give jamis a. Few games jamis might have a, Big game he'll obviously at some point play himself out, of it and then you can Go to dart because they don't want To play. DART yet i understand.
Speaker 2: That the giants think they're going. To playoff there's the playoff push this year saying like, Why, not Okay Like.
Speaker 1: Jackson, DART no i just think they Think maybe DART'S not i. THINK they i think They want dart to have another month of, like, practices, meetings film you KNOW what, i mean all, that STUFF which. I understand but so But if russ can't, Do It malik neighbors is freaking out because. Of it that's what You have Jamis For next rams Beat.
Speaker 2: The texans what was your biggest? Takeaway There.
Speaker 1: The techon's offense looked a lot Like the texans offhinse, last year which was. Not good i'd be A little i'd be A little texans, defense Unbelievable but i'd be a little WORRIED about cj And that. Texans offense that's my. Biggest takeaway and that's a game that was there for the taking for them and they couldn't.
Speaker 2: Take it Is Is danny dimes. The next You Know smith sam dornold quarterback. Revival, story Here is miami?
Speaker 1: JUST terrible I think miami's. JUST terrible i AM gonna. I Listen daniel jones was unbelievable in. THAT game i have to give, him CREDIT but i don't think anything close to. That sustainable, we'll.
Speaker 2: See, Yeah yeah And Then tula tula came out, and, said, like oh like we're still Upset with tyreek kill who it needs to Be Begging terry hill to stay on.
Speaker 1: THAT team, I mean miami's got a lot, of Problems AND daniel i would be checking, the policy, you know the terms of my home or apartment lease to see what the penalties for breaking it, early IS because i don't know how much more Time in miami he's gonna.
Speaker 2: Have. Next uh the forty nine ers are dealing with a handful of, big Injuries. Including party HOW should? I Worry Should san francisco fans be that they're looking at another season?
Speaker 1: From hell they should, be worried and they also might need a new medical or training staff. Or whatever you can't be the most injured team every single year in. The league. It's, COINCIDENCE like i don't KNOW what i don't understand anything about, sports medicine but you can't just always have guys pulling groins and calves and hamstrings and just keep the. Same trainers that's first, Of all second, of, ALL party i will begrudgingly give him credit for the final drive six for six in, the touchdown even though that touchdown pass should have been picked immediate like. It was it was a. Terrible Decision dree wooland had it and didn't, get it and that would have been his third pick and. They lost purdy was not very good in. That game now we find out he was dealing with an injury or a, couple injuries but now. NOTHING demonds i am all of a sudden about to be A Huge ue, niner fan oddly Because Somehow jimmy garoppolo Leaving the niners and instantly being terrible for some people didn't. Win Me The jimmy garoppolo ARGUMENT that i, Was, like hey he's a product Of the. Shanahan system but do you know who their backup Quarterback In san.
Speaker 2: Francisco Is It's.
Speaker 1: Mac jones Oh If mac jones starts and, looks great then everyone has. To concede i've been right. All Along If mac jones comes in and he's awesome or even, just fine then that's gotta be my final piece. Of, Evidence Also sam darnold fumbled what could have been a game winning touchdown pass off his offensive lineman's ass just dropped back the ball like nobody. Hit him he was he just ran. His hand he. Was terrible they could.
Speaker 2: Have. Won Next Uh. Saints, CARDINALS yeah.
Speaker 1: I did watch SOME because i Had the cardinals. AND survivor i wouldn't feel GREAT if i Were. THE cardinals i would feel really Bad if I'm. The saints flat. All right and by, the Way quick nick's Tennis corner carlos alcaz told, you. Guys listen i'm not saying He and center aren't a good rivalry. This MOMENT what i am saying is he is a different tier and caliber. Of player alcarez could end his career in the top top top, tier Discussion, and center to me is just a tick. Beneath that That's all like rate, Subscribe review great job, To you demond's. A, Today also armando is asking what time does show Start? On friday at The Power. Light district show starts Two. Pm central there are no. Tickets necessary. It's funny the bosses and other people, are, like, so like what are we, gonna do, you know to get people down? The giveaways blah. Blah blah maybe this is my massive. EGO talking i think people are going to show up to see. The show and if You're In, kansas city just come. The again just, be there try to be there around, you know. By, one uh the show's going to be two To Five Me, Wilde's Brew danny Greg at Power. And light it is free. For everyone we are still going to Do the thursday pod. This week we will actually record that Early on wednesday because We're, flying thursday but regular pods schedule for you guys and. Appreciate it great. Job demands thank You, to volume thank you To, hard rock thank You, to boost thank You To, blue duck thank You To. Seek GEEK and i think that. Covers, everybody uh see you guys On with colin in about ninety minutes or, about yeah seventy five, minutes ish see you guys on, First things, first three what's right