Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast.
Speaker 2: Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Ketty Armstrong.
Speaker 1: And Getty and he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: The American Revolution is the most important event since the birth of Christ in all of world history.
Speaker 4: I loved hearing that, flipping on face. The nation got back from vacation and they had ken Burns, the documentary filmmaker, the most famous documentary filmmaker who's ever lived, on there to talk about his new documentary about the American Revolution, which is coming out in November. But they interviewed him for Fourth of July weekend and him presenting it in this is a fantastic thing that happened for world history terms. It's just my whole life that was normal, but after the last you know, four or five years of wokeness, it kind of was a little.
Speaker 1: Like knocked me down. WHOA people still think this.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get off on this tangent too much, but I find myself a little bit surprised, as ken Burns has been a little howard zinish for me in recent years.
Speaker 1: But I'm glad to hear it.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's just a canny businessman, and he knows who's going to watch these this documentary. But I love what he's said. I hate to be that a cynical. Well, that makes you a sap. Before we get into the more of the interview, Well, I don't want to steal this thunder.
Speaker 1: We'll do that first.
Speaker 2: Then I've got another great quote that's a similar sort of sentiment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we missed fourth of July with you while we were gone on vacation, so we're catching up a little on that sort of talk here.
Speaker 1: And here's Ken Burns talking about his documentary.
Speaker 5: You called the revolutionary period a civil war? Was that always your conception of the rev How did you come to think of it that way?
Speaker 3: I think because there's no photographs and there's no newsreels, and they're in stockings and breaches and powdered wigs, there's a sense of distance from them.
Speaker 1: I think we.
Speaker 3: Also are so proud, rightfully of the power of the big ideas that we just don't want to get into the fact that it was this bloody civil war patriots against loyalists, disaffected people, native people, enslaved and free people within it, foreign powers that are ultimately engaged in this is a big world war. By the end, I think we perhaps are fearful that those big ideas are diminished, and they're not in any way. They're in fact become even more inspiring that they emerge from the turmoil.
Speaker 1: Why not roll on then we'll discuss, Michael, how should.
Speaker 5: We think about the Declaration of independence this period in America in our present day.
Speaker 3: First of all, I think the American Revolution is the most important event since the birth of Christ in all of world history. I mean, it turned the world upside down, which is the cliche. Before this moment, everyone was a subject, essentially under the rule of somebody else. We had created, in this moment a very brand new thing called a citizen.
Speaker 1: And this has had powerful effects.
Speaker 3: It's going to set in motion revolutions for the next two plus centuries all around the world, all attempting to sort of give a new expression to this idea that all men are created equal, that they're endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights. And that's a big, big deal in world history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and hearing ken Burns say that and CBS, you know, going along with it. It shouldn't be like cold water being splashed in my face, but it was, and I was happy to hear it.
Speaker 2: I remember when for a long time the notion, again, the Howard Zinish down with American notion was it wasn't a revolution. It was just a rebellion. I mean, theists not happy with the crown, and they decided they wanted a different government and it came to blows.
Speaker 1: And no, I mean it.
Speaker 2: Instituted on earth an experiment in self governance and a lot of other incredibly important fundamentals like free speech that had not been tried. Yeah, it was a rebellion against the crown, but in favor of trying something wildly new, which is perhaps the most successful experiment that's ever been done well.
Speaker 4: And to take it further than that, the fact that the sixteen nineteen project eld sway there for a couple of years and unfortunately still does in your freaking schools, your school's library. The idea that, no, the revolution was to found slavery and make sure we could keep the whole slavery thing going. That was the point of the revolution, and that was the prevailing view there for like a year, along to people with the megaphones of society.
Speaker 2: Yeah, education and media it's an I've seen a suggestion absolutely obscene. You know I'm going to hit you with this real quickly from Jonah Goldberg. Then we can get back to the interview. I just don't want to steal all of its thunder. The birth of the United States of America was not merely the most important geopolitical event since the Fall of Rome, or the most important intentional political event ever. Because Rome's fall wasn't exactly a planned out exercise, it was the signature catalyst for the real world realization of various Enlightenment principles like democracy, human rights, free speech, and representative government. The unfolding success of that experiment over the subsequent two and a half centuries, with America becoming the single most influential and powerful country in the world, lends even more weight to the momentousness of the American founding, and it certainly ranks among the most consequential events in all of human history, political and non political alike.
Speaker 4: No doubt I mean to argue against that is well, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 4: I hope it's over, but you can't look at enough that period. We just came through the whole George Floyd sixteen nineteen project tearing down the statues, which I saw some of in New York. All that sort of stuff, just craziness. We lost our minds. Thank god that didn't win the day. At the time, it felt like it was gonna win.
Speaker 1: The day, right, right, And if you were fighting against it, good for you.
Speaker 4: And I'm so excited that Ken Burns thought, you know, I'm gonna do a documentary about the American Revolution and present it as a good thing, like a great thing, like one of the greatest things that ever happened to human beings.
Speaker 2: Right, As I've said many, many times about religion and a dozen other subjects, if you ask human beings to be in charge of something, it's gonna get screwed up. That's the way we are. But that doesn't diminish the greatness the wonder of the founding of the country and the principles on which it was founded. Yeah, human beings were in charge. So we did a bad job of it, but it's still a wondrous thing. Do you want to do the other one or the other clipper now, all.
Speaker 1: So, what happens here.
Speaker 3: Is I suppose you could, you know, miss the point and say it's a quarrel between Englishmen. But it is the beginning of something absolutely new in the world, and that is something to celebrate and to understand. Two that it comes out of so much division that's going on between the states. People in New Hampshire and Georgia are they're from different countries, they believe different things. That you could have the divisions of loyalists and patriots, you could have this, all the things that are roiling in these colonies and understand that out of that we could still figure out a way to come together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, making the point that we've always been divided, very divided over various subjects of various times, and so what we're doing now is not something new. They do get into a conversation that I really liked about the importance of people, you know, being into this, caring about it, Yes, paying attention to what's going on, and you know, so I think that's the different thing that people are missing is the lack of civic engagement that we have. So we're arguing about things in a nonsensical way that I don't feel like was always.
Speaker 1: Our nation's history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Politics is always grubbier in the moment than when we look back on it in history and more stupid. The thing that troubles me, and I was just going to say to set up the next segment, is if you think, well, ken Burns is back to being a patriot so everything's fine.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: There's a new Gallop poll out about patriotism pride in the United States, and the numbers particularly are going to bring.
Speaker 4: I had brought my self up listening to the ken Burns interview thing and Wow, I can't believe this is on network television, that they're even okay saying out loud the American Revolution was a good thing and the founding fathers did something great for humanity, because I can't remember the last time anybody said that out loud on network TV.
Speaker 1: I was so excited about that. Now you're gonna bring me and it's gonna be like a good movie.
Speaker 2: Jack, I'm gonna slap down your childlike enthusiasms, and then we'll bring it back around.
Speaker 1: Move it there.
Speaker 2: But then at the end, at the end, Michael, we'll be moving up. I thought that was clear as the commuters and again say I'm gonna take a flamethrower to that thing. I swear to God, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I was.
Speaker 4: I mentioned this earlier as at the Museum of Natural History in New York, and they first time I'd been there since they took down the Teddy Roosevelt statue. That was like the iconic front view of that very famous museum, Teddy Roosevelt on his horse and the fact that they took it down because they were like Native people walking along the horse and that symbolized white men. Did my question? I was asking my kids. They got really tired of my rants over vacation, But like, did that help a single human being? Taking down that statue? Did that help one human in any way? Was there anybody ever by the way, that ever walked by that statue and was hurt by it?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 4: I'm looking for one human being that was damaged by the existence of that statue.
Speaker 1: No, I could make a counter argument.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy, Yeah, that it actually benefited people, many people, including a Native people.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Joe's got his poll to bring us down, and then he's going to bring his back up next.
Speaker 3: The American Revolution is the most important event since the birth of Christ in all of world history.
Speaker 4: I love hearing that from Ken Burns about his new documentary because it's true, and it's amazing how little we teach it anymore. I remember when David McCullough, the historian who wrote the real popular books John Adams in seventeen seventy six and those great, great books, very accessible, and he said, we can never learn enough about these people in this period.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the whole thing, it's the whole ball of acts. And yet we've.
Speaker 2: Let, especially our education system and some other of the institutions run by the left, pervert that story and teach young people, most tragically the opposite that it was an act to perpetuate slavery by evil people and racists, and it's regrettable and it should have never happened. I mean, it's an obscene thing to teach the young people of this country.
Speaker 4: Or you just leave out all the good stuff and focus on the bad stuff, which is ken Burns actually said that in his interview on CBS. He said, I'm pretty sure that's where he said it is. Imagine if you did that with your spouse or wherever. All you do is you focus on their negatives as opposed to all the positives that they'd bring.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: John Fund wrote a great piece for the National Review, and it's entitled or wellianly enough, when we forget our history, we risk our future. But it's based around the fact that a new Gallup poll shows that the partisan gap on basic patriotism is now the width of the Grand Canyon. And more troubling than the partisan gap to me, although that's truggling enough, is the youth gap we have. As my athletic trainer Dave often says, you get what you train for you sit around all day. That's what your body's going to be good at sitting around all day. Well, if you teach your young people to hate their country, they're going to hate their country. Gallup reports that Americans have become less patriotic over time. That difference is primarily driven by Democrats. Only thirty six percent of them say there extremely are very proud of America, the lowest number ever recorded.
Speaker 1: Sarely more than a third that is so crazy.
Speaker 2: Among Generations Z, which is those adults born in nineteen ninety seven or later, only twenty four percent of Democrats are extremely or very proud of the United States.
Speaker 1: Under a quarter.
Speaker 2: More Gen Z Democrats say they have little or no pride in being American that's thirty two percent to twenty four over extremely or very Oh well, all there.
Speaker 1: Are reasons for this. I was about to jump out. We all know what the reasons for this.
Speaker 4: We've created a culture, especially in our schools, where you should be shunned or embarrassed to feel good about the United States.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would be mocked and shamed for that.
Speaker 4: I mean in your librarian told you this, and your second grade teacher, and you know, it's just the culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So only thirty six percent of Democrats say they're extremely or very proud. By comparison, fifty three percent of Independence express a great deal of pride in their country, though that is seven points down from the most recent poll before it. But again that is a what is that a twenty seven percent at nine percent more than Democrats.
Speaker 1: That's shocking.
Speaker 2: National pride among Republicans registered at ninety two percent, which is up from eighty five percent in Gallup's measurement last year. So there's obviously a I don't know, five to ten percent shift based on the politics in the direction of the country at any given time.
Speaker 1: I wish they could craft the question in a way that got past that, but they haven't.
Speaker 2: And then fun gets into the fact that there are many possible explanations for the general decline patriotism from poor economic prospects for young people the greater partisan ranker. But surely one factor is at public schools. In many private schools now rarely teach civics or a positive view of America's America's founding. New Cato Institute poll reveals a shocking level of ignorance about US history and our government. More than half did not know why the American colonies adopted the Declaration of Independence on July fourth, seventeen seventy six.
Speaker 1: Couldn't even come up with a coherent explanation.
Speaker 2: Young people the least likely to know, with two thirds of eighteen to twenty nine year olds expressing ignorance. Maybe that explains why fifty three percent of gen z also support writing.
Speaker 1: A new constitution.
Speaker 2: It's easy to want to scrap something when you don't even know the value of what it is or what it's about. Right, And then my favorite, maybe my favorite part of this, and we could get more into the poll numbers, because I've got the whole poll in front of me. But then he gets into Ronald Reagan's farewell address in nineteen eighty nine. There are a lot of young folks on the right who who can't stand Reagan. They think he's a relic of the past and his ideas are irrelevant. Here are some of the things he said. We've got to teach history based not on what's in fashion, but what's in important. If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. I'm warning of an eradication of the American memory that could result ultimately in at in an erosion of the American spirit. And we're absolutely feeling that, God, I would say, and then getting back to his speech couple paragraphs later, he was far too practical to believe that the job of reintroducing the study of self government could be left to the schools alone.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: All great change in America begins at the dinner table. And this is the part I really wanted to get to, to bring everybody back up again. So tomorrow night in the kitchen, I hope the talking begins. And children, if your parents haven't been teaching you what it means to be an American, let him know and nail them on it.
Speaker 1: That would be a very American thing. To do.
Speaker 2: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same. Friends, were all in a fight for the hearts of our children. Are young people and are young adults who under our watch got indoctrinated in this awful, poisonous anti American philosophy.
Speaker 1: Fight back. Let's get him a lot more on the way.
Speaker 4: If you miss a segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 6: Armstrong and Getty, big send off for the man who called himself the Prince of Darkness. For fans packing a British soccer stadium for Ozzy Osbourne, the seventy six year old Black Sabbath lead singer in his final concert tribute Saturday from rockers Metallica and Aerosmith Stephen Tyler, as well as Dolly Parton and Sir Elton John Osbourne at the end thanking fans for decades of support.
Speaker 4: Dolly Parton, why is Ozzie such a big deal? He just I don't know. He has no place in my life. Ozzy Osbourne a.
Speaker 2: Black Sabbath scene as kind of the founding fathers of heavy metal. Okay, a lot of heavy rock that people have loved ever since. You know it overstated to say like a Chuck berry ish figure, but something like it.
Speaker 1: It's all a bit much for me. Well, Dolly Marton was there.
Speaker 4: So we were on vacation on last week, which if you're a fan of the show you probably noticed. I went to Florida South Beach for a couple of days, then went down to Key West, rented a house. We were down there for a couple of days.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 4: I talked to a number of people who worked at restaurants and whatnot was in Florida, and they were talking about how awesome it was during COVID in Florida to be in their industry because people were coming from all over the country because they didn't shut down. They shut down for a couple of weeks total. Then we're up and running like it was normal. Ron death sentence, I remember that right. Well, the rest of the country was acting like you can't do that, everyone will die.
Speaker 1: They're talking about how awesome it was down.
Speaker 4: There, and I doubt that these servers were like conservatives. I mean they could have been, but they looked like liberals, I mean their island hippies with you know, things through their nose and uh and you know the usual. But it's really interesting that that happened. Part of the country said, yeah, we're gonna pretend it's not happening.
Speaker 1: And everything was fine. It's just it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Sometimes counties that are practically side by side took wildly different approaches, and when one worked.
Speaker 1: Way better than the other, the people who went with the bad approach said nothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, drove or flew back up to New York because it was too hot.
Speaker 1: He just got too hot, too much beach sun.
Speaker 4: Sam and I flipped our jet ski rented a jet skis a double jet ski, and I somehow we flipped it. He was driving, and that ended up costing me a lot of money because if you flip it and ruin the motor, then you got to pay for it part of the deal you sign, and so that cost me a lot. But so we flipped it, and I was panicked about trying to get it turned back up forgetting the warning they had made about all the barnacles in the bottom and stay away from it. And sliced my knee open so bad and was bleeding all over the place, and I'm glad shark didn't come eat us because that would have sucked.
Speaker 1: AnyWho.
Speaker 2: Oh agreed, Yeah, it would be a terrible thing to happen. We just getting eaten by a shark. Yes, so we uh just does it look? By the way, how's your knee look?
Speaker 1: Is it healing?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the same knee I heard on my motorcycle wreck. So I have no feeling in it because it damaged it so much. In so I couldn't even tell.
Speaker 1: That I got myself. I was bleeding all over.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, because refrash is a thing, and I don't know if barnacles are similar, but if you like, scrape yourself on a knee. Yeah, there's so much my chrobia life in there. My brother, a healthy throng naval officer. He got refreshed and it was horrible to get rid of.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They told us about that some trip we took out to see a reef in Key West. I remember they were telling us about that. AnyWho, So we fly up to New York because it was hot, and decide to do something else and we go and we spend several days in New York and we're at this park where all the people are playing chess, just like I'd seen in movies.
Speaker 1: Do they do that in.
Speaker 4: Cities all across the country or is that local in New York? Do they do that in Chicago?
Speaker 1: You're Chicago guy.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, it's when I picture it. I picture it in New York.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's a New York thing.
Speaker 4: And I need to do some research because I don't really know what it is or how it works, like do they make how do they make money, or do they make money or what's exactly going on there. I've just seen in movies where all the people are playing chess in these parks. Well, my son is obsessed by chess, as I've talked about several times, although he's still a beginner, and or the whole time on the trip, he said, I want to play chess in the park with one of the one of those guys I want to play schis So you really wanted to do that. So we're walking through Washington Square Park after we watched the weird hippie chick dor Art that I talked about earlier. Get the podcast if you didn't hear that, and uh, and he said, there's a guy he's not doing I want to go play chess, and I said, okay. So we go over there and I very quickly figure out that this guy, he's probably sixty old black guy. He sounds exactly like Tracy Morgan from Saturday Night Live. So when I'm doing my impersonation, if it sounds like that, that's why, because that's what the guy's on like. He's hammered drunk, just hammered drunk, sitting there at the chest table and h He said, what's your what's your name, Henry?
Speaker 1: What's your rating, Henry?
Speaker 4: And Henry told him I don't know whatever his number is on his rating, because you get a chest rating when you're on chest dot com. Oh yo, beginner, Okay, Henry, Well then I won't play you. I will give you a lesson. Five dad, five dollars for a lesson.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, and he says, is on there.
Speaker 4: And it was just one of the most amazing, interesting things I've ever witnessed. Henry walked away from it saying, this is the coolest thing I've ever done in my life.
Speaker 1: But it was so strange. The guy was so drunk.
Speaker 4: For one thing, he had the really drunk guy eyes you know where they're like really good, yes, and watery, and he kept sho shoveling these. He had a paper bag with him. He'd brought sandwiches from home. This gets to the I don't know what these people are doing, if they make money doing this or is this your job? I mean, I guess you play them for money.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: A good friend of the show is a friend of mine just texted the New York chess hustlers usually play for a few bucks.
Speaker 1: They're usually very good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean it was unbelievable. As drunk as this guy was, he started, I'm gonna give you a lesson, Henry.
Speaker 1: You remember this arrest of your life.
Speaker 4: First of all, number one, get one thousand and one chess moves. Get the book, and he names the guy Dad, buy him that book. Okay, And they set up the chess pieces and they start to play. Let me see how good you are, Henry. So they play for a little bit, and Henry would go to make a movie.
Speaker 1: He put it back, Henry. Henry put it back.
Speaker 4: No, Henry, think about it, Henry, And so then we do that. It's okay, So let me give you a lesson, And so then he gives him a lesson. And he's sitting by and he's shoveling this sandwich that he made into his mouth, and parts of it are getting in his mouth, but most of it's not, and the rest of it's just like falling on his shirt and onto the chessboard, and he'd have to wipe the chunks and sandwich away as he's moving the chessboarder. At one point, he kicks over his half a bottle of Miller Lite and it tips over and rolls between my legs. I mean, he's just he's a drunk like he seems like a homeless guy. Yeah, I don't even know what's going on there, Henry. I'm gonna give you a lesson.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: The best guy in the park, that guy over there with the sunglasses on, he's the best player in the park right now. Nobody will play him again, Which gets to my if nobody will play you because you're so good, how do you make any money.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how this works.
Speaker 2: Hey, you gotta wait for somebody strong. My chest playing friend also pointed out that it's a thing among chest enthusiasts. There are there are videos of grand masters going under cover and playing these guys and appreciating how good someone.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, this dude was amazing when Henry was actually playing him, how fast he would move and how he saw the whole board was, to be as drunk as he was in the hot sun was really quite amazing.
Speaker 1: Was he really drunk or do you think this was part of the hustle?
Speaker 4: No, he was drunk. I know, I know a drunk guy, and he was very drunk. And there were many people playing chess. It was mostly dude sitting at empty chess tables waiting for somebody to come play him for whatever. Anyway, So his lesson was, Henry, let me ask you a question. You're a home by yourself. And outside the door there was a gorilla and two dogs. Okay, a gorilla and two dogs. Wow, they knocked down the door and they come into the house. What do you do, Henry, I don't know. I called my dad.
Speaker 1: You don't have a phone, Henry.
Speaker 4: What do you do when the gorilla and the two dogs coming home?
Speaker 1: And it was just like this the whole time, so wild the dogs and punched the gorilla.
Speaker 4: No, I guess I worry about the dogs because I can't fight a gorilla. No, Henry, Henry, that is wrong. What is the biggest threat, Henry?
Speaker 1: The gorilla?
Speaker 4: That's right, The gorilla is the biggest threat. So do you see where my queen is right now? That is your biggest threat. Get rid of the gorilla, Henry. And so Henry moved and got rid of the queen. Now you don't have to worry about the gorilla. Do you see where my two dogs are?
Speaker 1: Henry? And it was just like that through the whole thing. He went on for like forty five minutes.
Speaker 4: It was incredibly entertaining and really interesting imagery to try to figure out some chess strategy.
Speaker 1: For a few bucks.
Speaker 2: For five bucks place, that's the best money you've ever spent in your life.
Speaker 4: And did the entertainment alone, let alone the chess lesson. It was really so it was like out of a freaking movie. And I thought, what are you? I mean, his clothes he looked like a homeless person. I mean, his shoes had holes in him. He smelled bad, he's spinning his sandwich all over, he's hammered, drunk, but brilliant at chess. I just so, I don't know what's going on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we've all known people like that, whether they're musicians or writers or what have you, that they have an incredible level of capability at one thing, but not so much on life skills or hanging on to a job for instance, or don't want to right for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: God dang it, that was interesting.
Speaker 4: Like I said, Henry walked away from saying that was the greatest thing I've ever done in my life.
Speaker 1: He really really liked it.
Speaker 4: Both the chess lesson and just the entertaining flare of the whole thing was so well again, like straight out of a flip and movie.
Speaker 2: Well, the downside was you didn't get a chance to talk about the big beautiful bill on the air since you were on your vacation.
Speaker 4: On our vacation didn't come up in conversation with anyone. I'll tell you that a round up.
Speaker 2: Of different people, many of them conservatives, and their takes on that message.
Speaker 1: In your home. You're gonna worry about the dogs first. Think about it, Henry.
Speaker 7: To try to imagine that anyway, So he keep spitting sandwich all over I don't know what to say. The dogs are happy with the sandwich leavings, so a bunch of different folks, especially on the right side of the aisle.
Speaker 2: What they think of the big, beautiful bill. I found it interesting. I think you will too, say with us.
Speaker 8: The bill fulfilled some of the president's key campaign pledges, like no taxes on tips and overtime, and it extends Trump's twenty seventeen tax cuts at a cost of four trillion dollars, much of that going to the wealthiest Americans. The bill dramatically increases funding for immigration enforcement, allowing the administration to nearly double immigrant attention capacity and allocating more than one hundred billion dollars to ice and border enforcement. It also guts biden ear, clean energy protections and student loan forgiveness programs.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, there's so much, including the number that's constantly thrown out of how much this is going to add to the deficit, And I'm sure it is going to add a lot of money to our national debt.
Speaker 1: Rather, Hello, did everybody hear that or did I have? Okay, just you.
Speaker 4: Uh. One of Trump's guys was on I think face the nation saying those numbers are from the CBO are wrong.
Speaker 1: CIDEO is wrong all the time. They're wrong about Obamacare.
Speaker 4: They are wrong about the Trumps tack cut the first time around, and nobody ever holds them to account on the fact that they're wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't have any idea. So for what it's worth, that.
Speaker 2: News report was the living embodiment of Twains, you know statement that if you don't watch the news, you're uninformed. If you do watch that stupid report, you're missing form R. I mean, that was terrible. Virtually every phrase of it was was prejudicial.
Speaker 1: I thought this was interesting. This is the opposite.
Speaker 2: The good folks that's free Press put out a delio where they talked to a bunch of their their writers and thinkers and people who are not under their umbrella, but they reached for their overall impressions.
Speaker 1: Of the so called big beautiful bill.
Speaker 2: They touch on some of the main provisions and extension of the twenty seventeen tax cuts, an increase in the debt ceiling of five trillion dollars, tax deductions on tips, overtime, and loans for cars made in America. Those they're limited. They phase out their temporary blah blahah new work requirement of eighty hours per month for Medicaid, and caps on medicaid provider taxes, which is a giant, complicated scam, as we've talked about, work requirements for food stamps. An additional three hundred and fifty billion dollars in spending on defense and border security, an end to some tax credits for green energy but not enough, among other things. The salt deductions has grown, which is disgusting.
Speaker 1: Oh right, so where did they end up on the salt deductions?
Speaker 2: Forty grand with phaseouts after you make like half million dollars a year.
Speaker 4: There is no reason, no good reason. There are plenty of bad reasons, including the fact that the bill passed. There is no good reason to put all of this disparate doesn't have anything to do with each other's stuff in one bill.
Speaker 1: There's just no good reason for it, right, agreed.
Speaker 2: So they at the Free Press they asked a bunch of thinkers what they thought of it.
Speaker 1: In general.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to read you the headline and like the first two sentences of each for.
Speaker 1: Time limitation reasons, among other things.
Speaker 2: But Newt Gingrich President Trump's One Big, Beautiful Bill is an amazing achievement on several grounds. First, it's an enormous policy bill about taxes, regulatory processes, badly needed reforms, and spending cuts. The sheer scale of the bill is stunningly audacious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, politics wise, it's absolutely amazing. As I saw a bunch of quotes from Democratic strategists who are like, man, he is killing it. I mean, they basically say, I don't like the guy, but he is killing it in terms of this second term.
Speaker 2: Larry Summer's economist, former Treasury Secretary, of the biggest rollback in the social safety net in our history. It's an addition of trillions to the national debt. Slee risk certainly does not guarantee of giving a million dollars on average to the richest one in one thousand families and paying for it by denying healthcare and basic social services like rides to doctor appointments is grotesque, an expensive mistake. But not the last words is Jason Furman, economics professor at Harvard and former chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisors. Too much deficit and debt, not enough protecting of the vulnerable, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: But it could all change.
Speaker 4: Well, Mack Tyler, Yes, who on the politics of it again, though, which is an enormous win. Even Dan Balls of the Washington Post we've had on said, by any measure, passage of the bill represents a major victory for our president, whose influence and dominance continues to expand in a.
Speaker 1: Matter of weeks.
Speaker 4: Who has brought a ceasefire between Iran and Israel after a massive bombing attack on Iran's nuclear sites, got a pledge from NATO nations to increase their spending on defense, has seen the financial markets hit record high, and now can boast of legislation that fulfills many of his campaign promises.
Speaker 1: He is a political colossus. Brit Hume called him.
Speaker 4: He is one of the biggest deals in politics in a century.
Speaker 2: Agreed, yep, undeniably. Tyler Cowan, who's an economist in a great free Press calumnist, says, one of the most radical experiments in fiscal policy in my lifetime. I view the big, Beautiful Bill of Trump as one of the most radical experiences. In essence, Trump is deciding to push all of his chips to the center of the table and bet on the American economy. And he mentions run up some big fat debts, but to bet that we can grow away out of it.
Speaker 4: Oh. The debt part of it is just when I has listened to a podcast yesterday. When Reagan did his big tax cuts, we were at fifty percent of GDP debt to GDP. We're now one hundred and fifty percent.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: The president of the Manhattan Institute wants to know how real are the cuts.
Speaker 1: They're not.
Speaker 2: He doesn't think that the fiscal sanity stuff is legit. Kyle Scanlon, economic commentator. A lot of people know his work online. Where's the strategy? The One Big Beautiful Bill is a major restructuring of US fiscal policy. It combines extended Trump here tax cuts with new deductions. Blah blah blah. We have to look beyond its implications on just domestic policy. And he talks about how and Elon Musk is big on this. He's starting new political party. If you didn't hear this, He's like, we're going to be a geopolitical weakling if we spend ourselves into poverty.
Speaker 1: Absolutely true.
Speaker 4: And every president or politician decides, yeah, well, that's gonna have to be somebody else's problem because I'm about getting re elected.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Final headlines were pressed for time, disappointing in its bottom line, promising in its details, promise in peril for Democrats. According to a Democrat, fiscal responsibility is dead. That's Charles Lane, Free Press column.
Speaker 4: Clearly, yeah has been dead for quite some time. We just were slow waking up to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And now it just doesn't really have a constituency.
Speaker 4: Well, Elon's gonna try. We should talk more about that. When he claims his plans are how serious he is about I don't know. After he made that announcement over the weekend, Tesla stock dropped. I don't think they like him getting involved in politics again. Got a lot more in the way. If you missed a segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty
Speaker 1: On demand Armstrong and Getty