Speaker 1: Sluggish volume on the Parkway West inbound Green Tree to the Fort Pitt Tunnel. Parkway East inbound, that's jamming up Second Avenue to the Fort Pitt Bridge. Outbound Boulevard of the Allies to the Squirrel Hill Tunnel. Crosstown Boulevard inbound jams the Vets Bridge to the Liberty Bridge, Brendon Joseph. Total traffic, easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and.
Speaker 2: Brought to you in part by Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission, they said, CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy home exteriors, fast, reliable and affordable, Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steel Mine melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood Ford Store and by the Steelers Pro Shop they sit Shop dot Steelers dot Com.
Speaker 3: Roll along here on this Tuesday as we're heading into the evening. It is the Drive Bonus Hour coming up in about twenty minutes. Get those tweets in if you want to get involved. You know we'll hit those to start the five o'clock hour as always, but to close things down here in the four o'clock hour, we are joined by an old friend, a familiar voice. If you are a if you are a Steelers junkie, like all of us are here, you have certainly familiar with the work of Chris Carter. The Pittsburgh Post Gazette locked on Steelers. Chris, thank you for taking the time to join us here and what has been a different training camp, certainly than what we were used to the last few years.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me, and yeah, it's been very different. It's been fun to learn that what is different and to adapt to it and explain it to fans. A lot of fans, you know, shout out to all the Steelers fans that travel to La Trobe and get to in one experience and run into a bunch of them at Sharkys and they're they're big fans of all the work, especially people here at SNR. But it's been really interesting to see and then also discussed with people, even like some alumni that come through. I got to talk to Brian McFadden, who you know, he was part of the Cower and Tomlin years and he was just like, this is so different. He was like, I just got done covering the rams and this is different from how they do it, but certainly fun to learn how McCarthy wants to set things up this year.
Speaker 5: Chris, what have you noticed from coach McCarthy in terms of his dealing the hands on this with the quarterbacks and the two young pups. What kind of impressions do you have of them so far? Good? Bad, ugly over their head you know, talent, What do you think? Well, I'll start with McCarthy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really like the way that he kind of breaks down details and he seems to have a plan for like, hey, the overall project that we are here to try to teach quarterbacking and making good decisions and fixing fundamentals. It is a step by step process that he has mapped out and adapted over decades of coaching, and that I have appreciated hearing it from it. And like I got to talk to Will Howard, I think it was yesterday and when I was asking him about it, and I asked him, like, you know, how does how does it compare not just learning how to take the right steps and you have the right arm motions, but combine that with how do you.
Speaker 5: Process a defense? Where does your head here? Where does your head go there? You know? How do you know? How do you use your eyes as part of that?
Speaker 4: And he you know, kind I was able to break it down, and I've I've seen We've seen plenty of quarterbacks come through here. I've talked to plenty of quarterbacks around the NFL and college football. And sometimes that's the easiest thing to get lost in is all the different things you have to learn all at once, and that just throws you up in the air, and then you make so many mistakes. Then you can't fix problems because you can't isolate what's wrong. I think Mike McCarthy is doing a good job isolating what they need to work on now. As far as how they performed, I've been encouraged by I think some of the things that I've been able to see, but I also think they both have a long way to go. I think that Drew Aller, there are there are the moments that get shared on Twitter where man, look at that past, he's ready.
Speaker 5: But there's other moments where you're just like ah, you know, like okay, we see why he was a third round pick.
Speaker 4: Rookie and you're waiting to see and he's probably just gonna be third on the depth chart this year. As far as Will Howard, I think Will Howard he I'm intrigued to see, is can Will Howard be a gamer? Because you know that's something that when when I cover Pitt I talked to paton Ardus. He talked about certain guys that are gamers. They may not practice the best all the time, but when the lights turn on, they played, they step up. And I think Will Howard He's had some rough moments in camp, He's had some good moments in camp, but I want to see when the lights turn on, will he be that guy that steps so because that's what he did for Ohio State. You know, he wasn't one of their best players, but there were several times and the game was on the line, you could count on him to make a good decision to give his team the best chance.
Speaker 5: And he's a national champion and.
Speaker 3: Part of it, say, particularly the last time we saw him when Ohio State they had that lost to Michigan, it was like fire.
Speaker 4: Everybody could have gone a completely different direction.
Speaker 5: And as a college player.
Speaker 4: And I think that's the thing that is interesting to see the dynamics from them is that Will Howard is the guy that doesn't have all the physical traits that you want. He doesn't have the cannon arm, he doesn't have all those things. Drew la has those things. But Will Howard's stepped up in big moments college football. Dre Rowler notably folded in big moments. And so that's where I think it's interesting to see them come together under Mike McCarthy and Tom Marth and Frank Signety Junion, all these guys that are getting able to teach them and say, hey, let's work with you step by step and erase all the bad things that got in your way and then let you start anew with a clean slate here in the NFL.
Speaker 3: So I think the follow up question to that, obviously, is something that's been kicked around in these last two weeks or so of camp. How realistic is the idea of keeping four quarterbacks on the roster this year.
Speaker 4: My colleague Jerry Doula put points out all the time he thinks that it's there, definitely considering it. I just have a hard time seeing how they pull it off when you look at all the needs on this team. Like, the question is what position do you want to pinch to open up the door to keep four quarterbacks in the fifty three man roster, you need to keep at least six wide receivers because one of those guys is going to be a return man, because they seem adamant about making Cayden Weieden that guy, and Cayden Weigen, I don't know if he's going to be a wide receiver you want out there regularly.
Speaker 5: That means you need.
Speaker 4: Five ready to go wide receivers to take over that. And one of those guys most likely is gonna be Ben Scaroniic. We know they have the four going to be uh in you know, Metcalf, Pittman, Wilson, and Bernard. So you kind of already have your six slaughtered wide receivers right there. You can't pinch there running back, you know you're talking about you know, is Caleb Johnson gonna get cut?
Speaker 5: You know? You know you're keeping the top two.
Speaker 4: You got to keep at least three, you know, But do you want to keep Travis Homwerk because he's in on all the special teams? Do you want to you know, try a loon Nichols because of how he's done in pass protection, and so that's a tougher position. Offensive lineman, you know you're dealing with injuries. You know you're you're seeing that. Do you you can you afford to keep less than ten with this crew? And then the same thing goes for defense with corners and different positions.
Speaker 5: Looks like they're gonna keep a fullback this year and they.
Speaker 4: Want to keep it with Riley Noakowski. You know, do you want to just let him go? And so that's my thinking here is I think the ideal situation for the Steelers, if everything was to work out the way that Omar Khan in this front office I think want it would be Will Howard either gets close enough to Mason Rudolph that it's like, you know what, he's close enough. We're gonna we're gonna trade based on Rudolph because we feel like Will Howard isn't he's not as good, but he's close enough that we can say, hey, he can come in and.
Speaker 3: From hit right.
Speaker 4: Or Will Howard isn't close enough that you want him in, but he flashes a bit and someone's like, hey, we'll kick you at a mid to late day three pick for him or a pick swap of some sort, and in that way, the Steelers can get some more draft ammunition to add up to what their project is gonna be next spring.
Speaker 5: So, christ I'm curious for your thoughts of the right side of the offensive line. I mean, from uh my perspective, it looks like Anderson's pretty much grabbing that right pretty much job and I've been really impressed with the Haunta chore, but we haven't seen him for a couple of days. Yea, And how do you think that progression goes from here? Predictions?
Speaker 4: Well, I thought that Spencer Anderson was going to be a competition. I don't think I think he's made it not a competition. Yeah, yeah, he's locked it down. He's your starting right guard. And y'all like like I, I, you know, I try to pay attention to the lineman as much as possible, uh in these in these practices, when they get to go up and Spencer Anderson wins so many one on ones, it's really impressive.
Speaker 5: I'd like to extend him. I think that's the thing.
Speaker 4: If you can extend him, he could kind of be the ramone foster of this offense. Era, like you know, like back then, you had your first round picks like Powers and the Castro, and then you had Gilbert Is a second round pick, and now you've got Faltano, You've got Frasier's your second round and you know you drafted Max. You need guys that you didn't necessarily draft super high to be part of this. McCormick's fitting in as a fourth rounder right now. So I think Spencer Anderson, you know he's a seventh round pick, but I think he's fitting there now right tackle. That's gonna be interesting because I did like what I initially saw MAXI Honatchor, but I want to see an actual game time. I also want to see his hands improved. And I think Dylan Cook's done fine. I will say I was really low on Broderick Jones. The first week and a half of training camp. He was getting w Yeah, but like the last couple of days, I mean not today because it was it was a walkthrough. But when Saturday night practice he buried Nick Herbig.
Speaker 5: He stuffed Jack Sawyer, I was really impressed. Could he be in the right tackle mix.
Speaker 4: I think he's in the he's in the flip tackle mix because He's gonna be wherever they need him to be, and if he happens to settle in it right tackle, they'll say, hey, that's a win for now. But I think that what's gonna happen is that in these preseason games, if he gets in and he does well, if I'm Dylan Cook, I'm looking over my shoulder, like, okay, I need to step it up a little bit, because I don't think Dylan, like Spencer Anderson, has made it not a competition. Dylan Cook has left that door open.
Speaker 5: And I don't know to be thrilled to lose Broderick because you're you'd move him for ten cents on the dollar. But I bet somebody would offer you a pick if he puts good preseason tape out there.
Speaker 4: I think so it took me. We've seen it Dan Moore indeed, right, And I mean Dan Moore was a guy who you know in Pittsburgh people.
Speaker 5: Were like, man as this.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if Dan Moore is the future and he got paid on the open market, and if Broddick Jones, like you said, if he comes out and plays well in the preseason and looks like he's getting over his injury, and someone needs an offensive tackle.
Speaker 5: Believe what was it? The Commanders just lost that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so like you know, someone's desperate, Hey, we'll flip your pick for it, and or maybe you get another piece you need somewhere else. I think that could be something that you get there because you don't I don't think you want Broddick Jones to hit the open market. I mean, unless I might give you a calm pick bag, but then that's twenty eight. That's not twenty seven, right, And I think you want your ammunition this year because I think this year they're expecting it to be the quarterback draft class year.
Speaker 3: A couple more minutes here with our buddy Chris Carter, Pittsburgh Post Gazette, locked on Steelers. Chris defensive side of the football a little bit of a bummer to this point. Obviously we haven't seen Jalen Ramsey, we haven't seen Joey Porter Junior. But one man gathers what another man spills, and man, I feel like a Sante Samuel Junior and the rookie third rounder who's kind of being forgotten with some of the quarterback conversation, and Max and Bernard and Dalan Everett out of Georgia. Man, I think Everett might be having the best camp of any rookie. Sante Samuel Junior might be having one of the best camps of anybody at Yere.
Speaker 5: I mean he's up there. You know.
Speaker 4: I do a player of prac this for locked on Steelers every day and him and Derek Harr Samuel and Derek Harron and my two guys that have been repeats, and they they have both been standouts.
Speaker 5: But the Sante Samuel Jr.
Speaker 4: I mean, he has been been lined up with every wide receiver in this and I've not seen some anyone feel like they can say, oh, I've definitely got him. You know, they might get him once, but he'll get that. He'll get them right back with the next rep A. Sante said he's sticky in coverage. His footwork looks clean when he's turning and running. Uh, it makes me wonder, if you know. And Mike McCarthy did say he has position flex that's his that's his term that he likes to use for, you know, having flexibility in the in the d in any defense or offense. But when it comes to Sante Samuel Jr. He talked about position flex and how he plays there, and he has said this guy can play in the slot. He does not just have to play in the outside. I wonder if the initial plan of putting Jalen Ramsey in the slot, maybe they take a step and they say, wait a second, what if we use him in our safety rotation and he's one he's our best eleven exactly because if if Sante Samuel Junior is just much better as a cover corner in the slot, then we know what we need to keep him on the We get our best eleven on the field, and if it's Nickel, that could include him, and then put Ramsey back as our deep safety and then we'll rotate between Brisker or Elliott and figure out how we want that crew to work.
Speaker 5: They have a lot of options in the secondary, that's for sure, especially with Echles versatility as well. Yes, real quick, I know we have a ton of time. But you mentioned Harmon, and I'll be honest, I think fans like Harmon more than I like Harmon. Okay, picture and not. I adore his run stuffing ability, the way he plays big, I just don't see it to it Heyward guy as a pass rusher. But I'll be the first to admit maybe I was a little harsh on him off last year's tape because he was dealing with injuries from the start. Was I think he's moving better this year. You seem to be a believer.
Speaker 4: I'm a believer because I like how he applies as fundamentals and it reminds me of TJ. Watt in a way that when t J. Watt got to Steelers camp back at twenty seventeen, I remember the medals were so sound, but he did not have any pass rush moves. And eventually, like early on in the season, you saw in that first Browns game he might have had two or three sacks or something in his rookie game and his rookie appearance in his first game, and you saw in those early games he had like some pass rush moves, but by mid season they disappeared because the wear and tear of the season, you're focused on the other team's playbooks, not on your own fundamentals, and so you didn't see them really come back until his second and third years, where those pass rush moves.
Speaker 5: Came to light.
Speaker 4: I think something might have happened similarly with Derek Harmon, where I think he had one or two moves in college and that's all.
Speaker 5: He ever bigger, stronger than everybody may exactly.
Speaker 4: And he did lead college football in interior defensive line pressures his last year at Oregon, but a lot of that I think was, yeah, he just naturally was better than it. But in the NFL, that don't cut it. Now he can do great work and stuff to run. I think this year I've started to see him incorporate different moves. I still don't think he's fully there, You're like you're pointing out, but I do think he'll be a really good run stuffer. He'll be a better pass usher than he was last year. And ultimately, if he is stuff in the run and keeping the linebackers clean, I think that's the biggest thing this defense needs, is they need defensive linemen to eat space and take up offensive lineman and let the outside linebackers and inside linebackers be playmakers at the line of scrimmage, because if they are, that's where I think a lot of this stuff can get keyed up on. And then eventually then when he gets his pass rus moves going, then he might become the Hayward to it. I agree, he's not there yet. I do think he can get there someday.
Speaker 5: I mean, times have changed dramatically, but if they could do a fact simile of the Lebau Hampton Aaron Smith Keysol between Black and Harmon, Yeah, and just solidify the run defense, that's a pretty nice start for a second year guy.
Speaker 4: It would be amazing to have these guys step up that quickly. I also think it's great that ya Blackhead. And we talked to him today, you know, after their practice, and I was, you know, I've been impressed by how like last year, why a Black you know, kind of like Harmon, he was just bigger and badder than a lot of people at Iowa, and so he didn't need to get low. And last year he would stand up and guys would get get under him and put him on skates worried. This year, I'm seeing him fire off. He was the first guy to beat Zach Fraser in a one on one pass rush driller and I was like, whoa, because.
Speaker 5: I thought both those guys were consistently slower laid off the ball too. And they're getting off the ball a lot better.
Speaker 4: I feel like they're they're sharpening themselves. They're a little bit more explosive. They're lower, and they're and they're get off all those things check boxes for you. So like you, Matt, I'm encouraged by this defensive line, Like yeah, yeah, they might be the best position group on this team right now. As far as a hole, when you consider Keanu Betton, now he's a three, he's coming off the bench instead of trying to play the nose as a starter and now that rotation. I'll tell you my dark horse though, that I really like Gabriel Rubio.
Speaker 5: I thought he was a throwaway pick I had to play against.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Matt, I was literally on the Post Gazette live stream at ASLN Brewing Company in the Strip District when they made that pick, and like Paul Zeiss and Anna Bitner looked at me, and I was like, guys, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know that one. I don't know who that is. He wasn't even like the beast Steve and he could about it. I couldn't find nothing about him.
Speaker 4: But when I watched him up against venga Ewan and I was like, Okay, I see some some feistiness, but I can see it in camp. I had seen that feistiness. I talked to him after the Saturday and Night Lights practice. I have been impressed by how he has been aggressive using his hands. He is adapting more moves into his game. That guy's gonna make this fifty three man roster. And I think that with him, Sebastian Joseph Day and Count of Benton Joseph Edition, that they have depth like I am not. If I'm the Steelers, I am not afraid to rotate my top six defensive linemen all around and just keep tiring out that offensive line until my starters are fresh in the fourth quarter and they're chomping at the bit while your offensive lineman to have their hands on their hips and they're taking deep breaths because they've been geting whooped all day.
Speaker 5: That's why we opened the show like Cam Hayward can't lead defensive tackle his naps and your fourth quarter defense was the worse in the league. That I mean, these are the things that fix those things. Yep, get depth, and I think they got it this.
Speaker 3: Year, moving in the right direction, and we're excited to see it all start coming together. On Thursday night, Chris Carter locked on Steelers Pittsburgh Postcasette fun conversation. As always thanks for taking the time.
Speaker 5: Due thanks for having me, guys, great shot man.
Speaker 3: That's two hours down bonus hour. When we return. You know what that means, will hit the tweets to open up the five o'clock hour. Plenty more to come here on the campus of Saint Vincent College, We Shouler, Matt Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Rockotto dot com.
Speaker 5: Oh, Ben Tyron, what are you gonna do? I'm way ahead of you.
Speaker 6: I'll be on rockauto dot com before you can even finish this commercial. He's right, Rockatto dot com parts when you need.
Speaker 4: Them, they come dot Dotto.
Speaker 6: Budweiser wants you to drink wiser. Then here's the thing. Many of you are already drinking wiser by designating a driver or by getting a ride home after a night, which means the majority of you choose not to drink and drive. So yeah, have fun, but make a plan to make it home safe and be a passenger not the driver. Like I said, the good news is that most of you are already making the right choice. But what would be even better is for everyone to drink wiser, enjoy responsibly Anheuser Busch Bludweiser Beer Saint Louis, Missouri.
Speaker 7: For more than fifty years, Steelers stylists brought together football, fashion and philanthropy in one unforgettable evening be a part of the largest and most anticipated fundraising event of the year.
Speaker 3: So a day off from a full public practice, but not a complete day off for the players to.
Speaker 5: Just sitting on the couch, eat and chips all day.
Speaker 3: They're not sitting up in the dorms playing PlayStation. They're getting ready and then they will travel at some point, I believe, back to Pittsburgh, you know, stay in a hotel, all that good stuff, ahead of of course Thursday's preseason opener against the Packers. But we will have a final walk through here.
Speaker 5: It looks like it might be right in front of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were thinking that, you know, due to some of the weather stuff earlier, it might be back behind us in the new indoor facility. But some coaches and some people trickling down here. So maybe in fact we will have that evening walk through in front of us tonight, but an off day for all of our SNR shows tomorrow, obviously the game on Thursday, and then an off day on Friday, and then.
Speaker 5: We're back here, back at it pretty heavy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for the final stretch Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Three more opportunities for you to get out here. If you want to see the first Mike McCarthy training Camp twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Yes, that is it. If you haven't made it out here, you got three chances.
Speaker 3: You got three chances, and then if not, you better hold your piece till next year. Right, better, better luck next summer. Yep, yep, let's hit some of these tweets here, get the five o'clock hour rolling as we like to do. Ian says, good afternoon, gentlemen. Jealous you had the best wings on planet Earth last night. Although Ian I was the one at Dino's last night last night Matt Matta got some work done here and ate at the cafeteria. But I think you'll be getting yourself some Dino's wings here before.
Speaker 5: I'm doing one more night show there.
Speaker 3: So you've had, you've had, you've had there. I always do the.
Speaker 5: Bone list when I'm on the air, which I know is slightly selling myself short, but it's just because because it's way easier to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're not getting your hands all messy and everything.
Speaker 5: But that's where Wolf and I were a little different. He didn't care if it was in his hair and in his ears and in between his fingers and all over the place while we were trying to do a show. So I do the boneless to be a professional.
Speaker 3: Sure, you are nothing if not a pro. Matt Williams.
Speaker 5: It's the same sauce. And they're delicious too.
Speaker 3: I had I had a definitely, I had me ten wings there last night of the Sweet Heat and they were fantastic. Get do your normal bone list, but then just get five of the bone in.
Speaker 5: I usually get a double order of boneless, so maybe I'll do one of each, and I usually like share with the table. I don't need.
Speaker 3: Yes, very nice that he's a very gracious uh wing orderer Matt Williams.
Speaker 5: It is everyone's always looking at him. I'm like, go ahead that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come on, they look good. Try one. Unless you're a stranger who's just loitering around our table. Then don't. Ian says, uh. Seeing other teams going through joint practices, do you think the Steelers are at a disadvantage with no joint practices?
Speaker 5: Maybe I think they're very valuable. Now. They're also very physical, very physical, and I would think, and I'm speaking for him, that coach McCarthy is trying to avoid physicality and injuries and scuffles and people on the ground. And you know what ensues with live football, even though it's on a practice field, not in a stadium on delights, as Tom Will used to say. So maybe that part doesn't interest them, but I don't know. We've had this conversation this year. A lot of things with these joint practices are more valuable because you can have something going on in this field and something going on in this field. And like we mentioned yesterday, if someone asked me, like, how would you play the quarterbacks this week, and I said, I'd have Rudolph through the first series, and then I think I'd have Howard take it down to the half and then Aler take the whole second half. And you know that gives Howard and Aller a chance to run a two minute drill at the end of their respective half. Well, you don't have to take a chance. And joint practice, he said, we're gonna run two minute here for the next fifteen minutes, and the Lions or the Bills or whoever says.
Speaker 3: In any situation that you want, yeah, you don't need it to organically occur throughout the course of season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And that's the beauty of it. It's much more condensed than the coaches exactly get what they want. Like I pretty vividly remember. I guess it was COVID because it was at Akishore when the Bills, right, because they were That was a very physical joint practice. But it was the day or two before the preseason game. But Tomlin decided I'm going to put my eggs in the basket of the joint practice as opposed to the preseason game. You know, like played more of his big guys, It played more physical, you know, dedicated more time to That is at least the way I interpreted it. Like for example, in the game Bills versus Steelers preseason, Rodert Jones got toasted like twice, and everybody saw that. Ibody remembered it. They watched it on That's right.
Speaker 3: I do remember that all the panic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that it wasn't great, No, it wasn't. No. I mean I think Rousseau was one of them's, a high end defensive end but I mentioned, I'm like, yeah, but he looked better yesterday when everybody was going even one hundred percent. He had a really good practice, but nobody saw that or care right, you know, but the coach did.
Speaker 3: No, they do And and that's that part about being able to simulate all the things that you want to do on without If you want to work on two minute drill, you don't need a situation to arise in a game where it pops up. You could just simulate it out here, I wonder.
Speaker 5: Real quick, even like last year they did it against the Bucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and right here? Right wasn't that? Here? Was that?
Speaker 5: That was also a sure and Steer's defensive backs had a tough time. And I'm like, this first round pick Abuca might be pretty good, right, And he ended up being pretty good.
Speaker 3: Sure did.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's one of those Matt. I so much of what we're trying to deduce here every day in our first Mike McCarthy training camp. We're probably gonna have to recalibrate and adjust that the next couple of years going forward to because his first one isn't going to look the same as his next three.
Speaker 5: From what I heard Tomlin was kind of a hard ass his first one, even more so than he was. You know, you gotta kind of set the tone new.
Speaker 3: Sheriff, do things your way, and I think a lot of.
Speaker 5: Time and you learn from your stakes too, especially a first time coach like Tomlin. I'm sure, absolutely right.
Speaker 3: And so for McCarthy, I think it's been a lot about his guys instilling the development and the process that he wants here. Then maybe next summer you go, hey, you know, that's where we can start to veer away here and there, and maybe we can do a joint practice with this team or that team. That'll certainly be something to keep an eye on. But yeah, I'm a fan of the joint practices for every reason that you just laid out.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Now, I mean, I don't no idea this will be true or not, but it wouldn't shock me if next year practices or later in the day. And I understand, and it makes a ton of sense why McCarthy likes him earlier in the day, But more fans come late in the day. They do, so maybe they'll be later today.
Speaker 3: Next we shall see. Those will be all the things we'll be looking forward to as we get more years and years into this Mike McCarthy tenure. Mister steel City tweets and says, I have a segment idea for you guys, way too early, awards predictions for every award, any potential Steelers who could win individual awards, and also Steelers with the potential to be all pros. Mister steel City. We will definitely do that in a lead up to the season. We'll have Matt and I, you know, we'll have a few shows where we all of our individual award predictions, division division winners, you know, all that, all that kind of stuff. This is an interesting one though. He ends the tweet by saying, I think of any Steelers likely to win an individual award. Mike McCarthy getting Coach of the Year.
Speaker 5: That was actually pick to be real genius there, right, because the rookie of the years are gonna be tough, very I mean, you draft a tackle in the first round.
Speaker 3: That does almost always a quarterback, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Maybe a running back. I don't know the defensive player that's gonna have a million tackles or a million sacks, So that's gonna be really tough. I don't see an MVP candidate on the team. Let's just be honest. I mean, Aaron's won plenty of them, but I think the ship has probably sailed. Watt has won Defensive Players of the Year, but last year didn't play at that level. I mean, that was the best player in the league. I mean, if anyone was to win that honor, maybe it would be him. But McCarthy's got a chance. Usually the voters are rough on established head coaches. You know that you kind of know what you're gonna get. But let's say this team wins two playoff games, you know, like or he can take you to a twelve and five in the yeah season, Yeah, and takes you to that next level.
Speaker 3: Maybe I think it's a good call. Yeah, I think it's a good call.
Speaker 5: Individual awards don't mean you're a good team or a bad team necessarily, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean I think for most of those, you have to have some level of success as a team. Like, you're not going to be the problem, You're not going to be the league MVP on a six win team in large parts. But right that, But but you your point is also well made. But I that's a I think that's a good call. Little sneaky one. But I think if you had to pick an individual ward, because I don't know, I don't think there'd be anybody up for Comeback Player of the Year or anything. Yeah, what about Protector of the Year. We got a couple of guys out there who could win Protector of the Year. But that's a stack, that's one offensive the entire league.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's not crazy to say Zach could win that.
Speaker 3: I'd be I'd be I'd be very Happy's so.
Speaker 5: Many good tackles. I mean, that's a tough There's so many good offensives every team. Every awards hard to win, obviously the individual award, but maybe Fraser could win it.
Speaker 3: Him and him and Faltanu and Spencer Anderson are having some fun in front of us right now, getting each other all wound up before practice.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Mike McCarthy, Matt, thanks to Jack for pointing this out to us on Twitter. Earlier today, Mike McCarthy and his press conference said the quarterbacks will play in three groups on Thursday. The first will get one or two series, the second will get the remainder of the first half, and the third we'll get the second half. That's exactly what we didn't specify, but.
Speaker 5: I assume it'd be Rudolph, young guy, young guy.
Speaker 3: That's I think. Yeah, you know what they say happens when you assume Matt. But I think that that's a safe assumption at this point.
Speaker 5: And it's funny I addressed this on a different airway too, like it's easy to say, we'll give Rudolph one series, but if you're three and out and he hands off twice and throws an incomplete pass or it gets tipped at the line of scrimmage or something like, I might as well throw them out for another series. Yep, you know, but that's probably about the limit.
Speaker 3: And I think you're right, it could get tinkered here or there. Yeah, but that sounds or yeah, that sounds like the rough the right rough outline as we as we stand here.
Speaker 5: Too, Howard, you know, maybe you want him to start the second half for a you know, one series, get him back out there, you know.
Speaker 3: Steele Curtain says the Steelers picked up Brandon Johnson earlier in the offseason. Did they end up letting him go? Haven't heard much about him. They did, He was one of those early in camp roster moves. I believe he's with the Raiders. Now, Matt, don't quote me on that, but yes he is. He is no longer with the team. The wide receiver Ran Johnson. He was one of the guys that the Steelers signed I think like back in May.
Speaker 5: Yeah, was out.
Speaker 3: Here for the first couple of practices, but then they started making some roster moves and he was. He was one of the guys who was let go. Todd Mitchell, who is our resident steel Hawk expert. He's from Iowa, He's a Hawk guy, loves the Steelers. He tweets us every once in a while about some of these guys. Wants to know what we've seen from from Cayden Weigien to this point. Honestly, it's been tough.
Speaker 5: It's been real tough.
Speaker 3: But what I will tell you is that he is clearly their guy as the returner. Yeah, there's been others that have factored in, but he is.
Speaker 5: I mean even like Roman Wilson and Caleb Wilson are back there sometimes on kickoff return, but he's the piece break any tackles. I mean, that's a real walkthrough situation, is return game.
Speaker 3: I think Cayden Wegen has a very clear cut role for this team. This year, and that's you're our return guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you knew exactly why they drafted him. I don't think that their opinion on him have changed anyway in the negative. I think you'll be your return specialist for both kicks and punts. Anything above that is gravy for year one, and you'll try to develop a whether that works or not. Maybe he's out there for a fluky play or a gimmick or a decoy, but all in all, he's here for one reason, and I get the impression they're happy with it. But as you can imagine, if they punt to him here on these fields in front of us, someone's not going to drill him in the teeth, yes, or he's not gonna put his best move on to make you all go, wow, you know what an unbelievable return guy.
Speaker 3: You know it's a tough one.
Speaker 5: I assume he'll be the number one returner for all three of these preseason games. I don't think he's at a point where you just like want to save him and don't get him hit.
Speaker 3: No, you want to you want to see him prove. I would turn it a little bit here in preseason, and hey, maybe he has one or two great returns on Thursday night and you go, Okay, that's enough.
Speaker 5: That's who I thought.
Speaker 3: But I would I would certainly think that at least starting Thursday, we'll see plenty of him. And he's been very prominent in the special teams periods here so.
Speaker 5: Far, because preseason, once in a while you when to get somebody new out there, just so they've done it once or twice.
Speaker 3: So break glass case. Yeah right, Jeff says, you know, plenty of conversation, rightfully, so around Caleb Johnson and Roman Wilson needing to have good showings this postseason.
Speaker 5: I think they're in different waters though, though I do too. Yeah, I think they were very similar coming into this.
Speaker 3: I think Roman has taken a step forward, not leaps and bounds, but he's taken a step forward.
Speaker 5: I think he's you could probably think I think he is too.
Speaker 3: Whereas for Caleb Johnson, I think that's probably still a coin flip. Jeff asks in your guys opinions, who are similar players on defense that need to have a good showing in preseason. Also, I want to see the run defense have a good showing this preseason. Good note there, Jeff's great on the run. It seems like the last couple of years the run defense has gotten gashed in the preseason.
Speaker 5: And as Chris was talking about when he had him on, you know that there is a lot of depth on the D line. I would expect the second team run defense, even with Cam Hayward not even putting shoulder pads on, to be quite competitive. And throughout all these games d line comes again, it comes to you know again. Yeah, it sounds like Rubio's getting harder and harder to cut. Doesn't bode well for Lowry and Lee. And uh the name I always kill an well yeah how much? Sure that was right? O Teguo or Rob always gets on that case for that. But I know they like him too. Other than that, you would think like a Kent if he'd have been healthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe even just a Dylan Everett and an Asante Samuel Junior to the good that they've done out here translated to in stadium.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought the question was more geared towards in order to make the team. Those guys are going to make the team. Maybe your last safety, maybe somebody like Brunner has to show you a little bit just because the roster gets full quick, like, can you give me enough Carson on defense that again, break glass in case of emergency if I have to throw you out there, Like maybe he plays a lot of linebacker snaps on Thursday and if they go okay, knowing he's a good special team or you're a little more comfortable.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be interesting to see them.
Speaker 5: I just feel like there's not a lot of roster spots of Aila.
Speaker 3: I'm with you on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I am with less than most gears.
Speaker 3: R J says, which teams that finished the last in their division? Could you guys see finishing first this year? And vice versa?
Speaker 5: Lions?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say the easiest. It's kind of cheating, but the Lions are the easiest one because they technically.
Speaker 5: Did a fourth place schedule.
Speaker 3: They went nine and eight, but they finished fourth last year. Yes, so they have a fourth place schedule, and they obviously have a roster that still has a good amount of talent.
Speaker 5: I have a hard time believing anyone in the AFC. I mean that's Raiders, Browns, Jets, Titans.
Speaker 3: I would give the Titans the best chance of that group, but I still wouldn't have it very high.
Speaker 5: No, I can't imagine the Cardinals. The Lions are an obvious one. Anyone in the South could win the South. So yes, And I know that this is short sighted because it happens every year, but and no one sees it coming, or we'd all, you know, put a bunch of money on these long shots. You know, the Patriots still go to the Super Bowl. They were this team last year. I I often reference FTN and DVOA and Aaron Shotts. And the one thing I've really noticed since his Almanac came out with podcasts he's been on, including his own, is he thinks the bad teams in the league right now, if you put that whole group in a bucket, that that bucket is worse than ever that those five or six junko teams.
Speaker 3: I could see it.
Speaker 5: Raiders, Browns, you know, we know who they are, Jets, Dolphins are worse than the lowest tier teams almost any year. And I'm I can you can sell me pretty easily on that. I mean, at least the Patriots last year are like well, Drake may Abel, you know, you know I.
Speaker 3: The other way around, worst or first to worst, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, the NFC South is low hanging fruit for all these convers that could be any order.
Speaker 3: And you know what if if the Jets and the Dolphins weren't going to be so bad, I think you could mention the Patriots maybe in that category, but the chance.
Speaker 5: Of being worse than both those teams, and.
Speaker 3: Even like Seattle, if they have some big Super Bowl hangover, they're not going to be worse than the Cardinals.
Speaker 5: Probably not, you know. I mean, I don't think the Steelers will be worse than the Browns.
Speaker 3: I don't think the Broncos an maybe you know, but not worse than the Browns. I'd be shocked, like Denver could take a step back. I don't think they're going to be worse than the Raiders.
Speaker 5: Right again, the Junco teams are real junkie Eagles.
Speaker 3: Maybe would they be the I was thinking that the Commanders and the Giants are downlow too.
Speaker 5: They're not as bad as Jets in Miami, but they're still a long way away from Eagles and what I think the Cowboys are at.
Speaker 3: It's it always happens.
Speaker 5: It always happens. And to say, oh, it'll never happen, I really dumb.
Speaker 3: But it happens just about every single year. Yea, it is harder to see that tree through the forest right now than usual.
Speaker 5: I mean, clearly, if like Josh Allen misses the season, the Bills could be I don't think it would be last in that division. But like one of these teams that's so quarterback dependent that goes almost without saying, you know, Burrow.
Speaker 3: Or that's why this time last year, the Commanders were an easy pick. Yeah, of team's very quarterback dependent. But it's it's tougher this year. Usually there's like one or two great candidates on both sides of the ball. This year, I feel like it's a little bit tougher to kind of pinpoint them.
Speaker 5: I just think the bad teams are bad.
Speaker 3: The bad teams are bad, and hopefully the good teams are good, although that Super Bowl can tender exercise that we did. I mean, the Rams have a twelve and a half percent chance to win the Super Bowl according to analytics. Yeah, and that's the favorite twelve and a half percent.
Speaker 5: It's pretty low.
Speaker 3: That's pretty low.
Speaker 5: So the other thing about the bad teams is a couple of them Titans and Raiders look like they have their quarterback. But those bad teams, assuming they stay Bad Jets, Cardinals, Browns. They're not going to trade out of the second spot if Drake May and Jayden Daniels are sitting there, you know what, right right?
Speaker 3: That's also a very good point by you, Matt. I asked a tweet here of this segment. It's a nice tweet from Josiah. Josiah tweets and said, it's been about a year of Matt and Wes. Uh. You two were thrown into the deep end and took some time to find rhythm. I think you guys have had a great year. I look forward to the sophomore season of Wes and Matt. Maybe you guys can earn a fifth year option or at least get the Steelers a comp pick if you become free agents.
Speaker 5: Fifth year option, we're getting a big time extension.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm talking I paid in the league, and listen. I can't speak for Matt, but I think he also did the same thing as me, where our careers took us other places away from our hometown. You and I, You and I both lived in Ohio for work for a little while. Yeah, I was in Philadelphia for three years. I like to think that I've done my time away from Pittsburgh, and I'm here now for the long haul. I don't want to go anywhere else. This is where I want to be. I haven't applied for a job in nine years, and I hope I don't apply for another one the rest of my life.
Speaker 5: I've never written a resume, have you really? Never? No? I probably never will.
Speaker 3: I mean I have, but it's been a long time. It's been a long time since I have either. That's what you gotta keep going, mat Just never never have a resume. Just straight to the top.
Speaker 5: Just listen to the show. You just you just almost.
Speaker 3: Nick Saban me there, I'm not gonna so quit asking. Do you remember that clip Nick Saban where it was the time where they were going back and forth between uh Tua and Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 5: Okay, it was that era and it was a true freshman right.
Speaker 3: Yes, and uh it's like a sideline interview and uh and they were asking him about the young quarterbacks and he's like, you're always trying to get me to pick one or disparage the other. I'm not gonna so quit asking. And that that clip of Nick Saban going, I'm not gonna so quit asking kind of became like.
Speaker 5: A virul a man.
Speaker 3: I'm a man, I'm forty Matt Williamson and I. Unless the powers that be pulled a plug on us, we ain't going anywhere, all right.
Speaker 5: So yeah, you know I'm probably never leaving Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, and again I've I've done that. I've I've left Pittsburgh and there say, listen, I'm not lying. There's other fabulous places, uh, across the across this beautiful land, across this beautiful country. But Pittsburgh's home. That's where, that's where the family is, that's where the friends are, that's where the heart is. Not to get too sappy and emotional on everybody.
Speaker 5: That was a nice tweet. It was a year.
Speaker 3: It was a very nice tweet.
Speaker 5: It's been a good year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're taking a big step forward our sophomore season. You better believe that second year jump coming at you in a big way. Matt and I are overdue for a break. We've got walkthrough going on in front of us. Yeah, with some energy here on campus as we come down the home stretch here.
Speaker 5: Gather a little bit from walkthroughs though, a little bit, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Not anything that we can talk about on air. Here, but things that are interesting for us to keeping.
Speaker 5: See the tops are and who's practicing with who, and that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Some things that help paint a more clear and a more full picture for us as we roll along here for the rest of training Camp West Huler, Matt Williamson. It is the Drive all part of our ongoing coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: Steelers Football happens here the Pittsburgh Steelers Audio Network today by FedEx, the new Power move Independence Health System Expert Care here, Remax Select Realty lisit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot Com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com, the Steelers Pro Shop, visitshop dot Steelers dot com, and buy Condiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 3: Down the home stretch here of our Tuesday coverage on Steelers Nation Radio, as campus will go quiet for a few days, of course, all around the Steelers' first preseason game on Thursday night and ahead of preseason. Yeah, we had the Hall of Fame game last week. The preseason really getting going here this week, Matt. Yeah, NFL dot Com has put out their first Power rankings Holy Smoke pre preseason edition partner.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, let's agree if we let's see if we agree that the bottom five or six teams are really that bad.
Speaker 3: Okay, because that's kind of piggybacks off I was talking about. And number thirty two on this list, Matt, I don't think it's a big surprise. The most obvious teardown this offseason the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 5: I agree. I agree, Like Arizona has the lowest wind total, but that's more based on schedule. Arizona's got more going for them. Maybe quarterback aside.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the one kicker. He could He could be a high tide that raises some chips there.
Speaker 5: And that's really the the whole goal of this year for Miami is get out of cap hell. Maybe you found your quarterback, and then go from there and the old line's actually in kind of decent shape too, and then start building the thing up from scratch.
Speaker 3: Do not have a lot of pass catchers though, and no little little fin on defense.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine them doing much this year.
Speaker 3: Thirty one is the Las Vegas Raiders.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's still pretty bad. It's still pretty bad, especially on defense, and they again maybe they their quarterback.
Speaker 3: Maybe they do, and you know, maybe hey, Nikobe Dean and kway Walker help stabilize the interior of that defense. But there's still they are certainly moving in the right direction, like I won't say that about the Dolphins yet. You can't say the Dolphins are moving in the right direction yet. I think the Raiders are. But there's a long way to go. They're five steps into a five hundred mile journey.
Speaker 5: Of course.
Speaker 3: Of course, number thirty is the New York Jets.
Speaker 5: Yes, same again. These teams are all pretty bad right here too.
Speaker 3: I might have the Raiders ahead of the Jets, but I'm not gonna I'm not gonna belly ache over thirtieth and thirty first.
Speaker 5: Miami would be thirty two for me, though.
Speaker 3: Twenty nine is the Washington Commanders, and this has obviously factored in the loss of layer of Tunsol, which is hard to argue.
Speaker 5: Now. I don't consider them a total bottom bucket team, like I would have the Browns beneath them, But I really do not have much optimism for Washington, even after Diggs, but especially after the Tunsil loss. You know, they kind of counteract each other in the negative.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like you finally started to feel a little bit better about your fights, and then other than your quarterback, you lose your second best, second most important piece.
Speaker 5: I always think that that team, or at least over the last couple of years, thinks they're closer than they are in terms of how they build.
Speaker 3: Yes, is the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 3: Do you see some reports coming out today that they're considering cutting Shador sanders Man.
Speaker 5: They got a lot of quarterbacks in the ring.
Speaker 3: They do, but I just I don't know which way they go. There's not an easy answer there, but that will be it'll be very interesting to see what that initial fifty three looks like for the.
Speaker 5: I would imagine if Shador or Dylan Gabriel gets cut, they get picked up by somebody.
Speaker 3: They're still so young, right, and they'd be free.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like if powered or Aler gets cut. I mean, someone take a chance on them, right.
Speaker 3: People always need quarterbacks, always need depth at that position. Twenty seven the New York Giants.
Speaker 5: I suppose I would probably put them ahead of all these spots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, higher, but I certainly think they belong in the twenties.
Speaker 5: There's some pieces in place so they should have a dominant pass rush. They have maybe a quarterback and neighbors in an improving O line and coach.
Speaker 3: Twenty six is those Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 5: I'm glad that they're this high because I think there's stuff to build on. I somethink they're gonna win any games.
Speaker 3: They've got maybe the toughest schedule in the air.
Speaker 5: It's so bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty five here, matt as a team that I think I would definitely have a few spots lower. It's the Atlanta Falcons at twenty five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I tend to agree.
Speaker 3: And you've got a factor in losing Jalen Walker and just their quarterbacks back and forth is gonna be gonna be a real work in progress.
Speaker 5: So a couple like the positive things. They were second in the league in sacks last year after being the worst team for the twenty years in sacks, but their two edge guys aren't going to be around, certainly for Week one against Steelers. They did nothing in terms of bringing people in because they're biding their time for next year when they have a ton of cap space. But they did keep their core. They locked up London in Bijon and an offensive lineman and Pitts, and I just don't think the quarterbacks in place that they're gonna be another team.
Speaker 3: Very quarterback twenty four the Tennessee Titans. Hey, if they're the twenty fourth best team and that's way this year, yeah, I mean they were thirty first or thirty second last year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, went Wards taking the right steps, and I could see that their ow line's pretty bad too, though it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna shit struggles. They Yeah, they need a lot of help there. But hey, carnal All reports that Carneal Tate has been really looking the part in training camp. Yeah, at good point could go a long way for them.
Speaker 5: They could really use. I mean, the guys that Cam Worder's throwing to last year were criminal.
Speaker 3: Twenty three reigning NFC South champions, the Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 5: Getting riddled by injuries, bad mojo. Then I'm not a young fan.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny, Matt, there's a whole stretch here of NFC.
Speaker 5: Southeeds say, I don't know how it'd rank the.
Speaker 3: South Carolina at twenty three, Bucks at twenty two, Saints at twenty one.
Speaker 5: I think that's the order i'd have them, though, in terms of Saints, one, Falcons, last Buck second.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. Twentieth the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 5: I think that's rough.
Speaker 3: I think it's a little rough.
Speaker 5: I do. This whole neighborhood's hard to sort out, to be fair, you know, twenty to sit in fourteen or so. I mean, they won the division last year, and I think their roster's better.
Speaker 3: If you look at the couple teams ahead of them, the Colts are at nineteenth. I think I definitely have the Steelers ahead of the Colts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they've been really good. Daniel Jones reports, But let's speak let's.
Speaker 3: See eighteenth Minnesota Vikings. I think i'd have the Steelers ahead of the Vikings.
Speaker 5: Probably Again, this whole neighborhood's clustered. To me.
Speaker 3: Seventeen the LA Chargers. That's an interesting one. That's a little bit lower than I've seen them on a lot of these lists.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think their defensive losses including mentor are greater than people want to admit. But I do think the Chargers are a contender.
Speaker 3: Sixteen the San Francisco forty nine ers, if they could stay healthy. My goodness, they're already destroid right now. It's said like twenty percent of their roster is on the injury report right now. Yes, Like that's insane.
Speaker 5: So I mentioned I do a podcast with Peacock who does the Locked on Niner stuff, and the five skill position players tight end, running back, three receivers. Theirs right now are Debo, Evans, Kittle, McCaffrey, and who am I missing as the other receiver? Whoever? I guess Kirk At this point all are thirty or older. Yeah, and like the last ten years, he told me the most games where every one of your skill position players was thirty or over that a team is put out there is two in a year. Wow, and they're hoping for seventeen.
Speaker 3: Of them for seventeen right, that's uh speaking of Yeah, that's like the Cam Hayward conversation that we're having earlier. Right, you might get away with.
Speaker 5: It, but but you're flirting with disaster there fifteen.
Speaker 3: Matt one of the more interesting cases in the NFL this year because which direction are they going? It's the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 5: I'm leaning towards going the wrong way.
Speaker 3: But Mahomes he could he could make a make a big difference without.
Speaker 5: I mean, I didn't want to tell him short but I don't think there's much around him. Fourteen, I probably have Chargers ahead of the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: I might, honestly, at least in terms of stability, just at this point, you know, until you see Mahomes get back to being Mahomes and then you could start giving the Chiefs some of that benefit of the doubt again.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fourteenth Detroit Lions, Thirteenth Green Bay Packers. I got no problem with either of.
Speaker 5: Those of the Lions over the Packers though. Patriots at twelve, okay, I think the defense is gonna take a step backwards, the offense gonna take a step forward.
Speaker 3: And Eleventh the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I'm a believer. I think they could be a real content.
Speaker 3: I think they're going to be a dangerous team this year. As much as I hate saying that, I think they could win that division. The offense is going to be absolutely loaded. Yeah, and if they can just get some stability on defense. They locked up Quinn Williams of that big deal you draft Caleb Downs. Dallas seems like they do that roller coaster thing where it's like eleven or twelve wins in a contender one year and then you fall back and then a similar to the Niners conversation that we've had. I think this will be a high year for the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I lean that way too, and we were talking about today briefly. I think he's eighth on the list of MVP candidates. Allen's number one, but I think i'd put a buck on back for the payoff head.
Speaker 3: The payoff's probably pretty good, and he's not too long ago was in that conversation. Let's take our last break. We'll look at the top ten of this list when we return. I also want to get just a final thought or two from Matt on what we're looking for Thursday night in that first preseason game. We'll do that to close down the drive when we return, Yuler and Williamson. It's all part of our training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio.
Speaker 2: This is live coverage up Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's get started. Remember FDIC West Shore Home we modeling reimagine by Leecom Digital, Don's Appliances Visit Donsappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and hass Is Steake in Seahouse has Is Hospitality.
Speaker 3: Down the home stretch here, final segment of the drive onto this Tuesday, our last day on campus until we return on Saturday for the final leg. Matt and I rounding out this NFL dot Com pre preseason power rankings before we get out of here, Matt. Number ten the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 5: Yes, but I've referenced, you know often the DVOA sites they project the Bears to have the best offense in the league and the worst defense. I don't think there will be true, but their defense leaves a lot to be desired.
Speaker 3: It sure does. Yeah, and they lost a couple of pieces on that side of the ball. They were so good at taking the ball away last year.
Speaker 5: They're not because, yeah, they put teams away. Or is it going to be first a race to forty every week?
Speaker 3: One of those roads of like are you going to continue to climb and grow or you take a step back this season? Number nine in Houston, Texans I'm a big believer. Maybe the best defense in the league.
Speaker 5: I'm leaning towards AFC championship prediction being Denver Houston. I think that's pretty good defenses and you know, good enough quarterbacks, you hope, but the rest is in place, Matt.
Speaker 3: This is crazy highest we've seen them on one of these lists for a while. Number eight is the Cincinnata Bengals.
Speaker 5: Haven't been mentioned. Yeah, I do think the dal will be better.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think they'll be improved. Yeah, but eight might be a little rich.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would have Housedton ahead of them. I was probably that might even the Chargers ahead of them.
Speaker 3: Number seven is the Jacks Jags, the Jacksonville Jaguars at seven.
Speaker 5: I like what they've done over you know, the Lawrence, you know head coach situation, but they really did nothing this offseason.
Speaker 3: They had a pretty quiet offseason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and usually if you take a shark, if you stop swimming, you die.
Speaker 3: Maybe getting Travis Hunter though back is a real big.
Speaker 5: I think that's massive. I think the O line's a little overrated.
Speaker 3: Number six the Baltimore Ravens. Okay, to be real high on these lists.
Speaker 5: They're still a little higher than i'd have them, especially if this Wiggans sings a real deal.
Speaker 3: Not great, No, not great. Five the Buffalo Bills. Joe Brady step right up.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that's a good thing. Though I know McDermott knows how to win games in this league. I don't know if this coach does. And I don't think that's the difference between being really good and a Super Bowl champion.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a very interesting year in Buffalo for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Number like their defense either.
Speaker 3: Number four, Matt, perhaps the most volatile team in the league. It's across the Commonwealth of Philadelphia. Eagles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think they're quarterbacks less than the ones we've brought up lately.
Speaker 3: You know, I think the Eagles still can be a legit Super Bowl contender, but I also think they could fall off the face of the earth and have a losing record.
Speaker 5: I can see the offense having some early season growing pains, just a lot of change.
Speaker 3: Number three defending Super Bowl champions Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 5: I'm cool with that. I mean, I think they're just very good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Matt, a team you just mentioned at Denver Broncos. They have them took in it too, and then obviously the Rams won on pretty much everybody's list.
Speaker 5: And I would definitely have the Rams one too. I mean, I think they're a very very good team. The thing people overlook now about the Rams is the weakest part of the team was the secondary. They rebuilt that before they did anything else in a big way. Watson and McDuffie. Now it's a strength. And then you throw even a better pass rush on top of that. That party that these really good and.
Speaker 3: They could still be adding a former three time oh yeah, that player of the year and Aaron Donald here in the next couple of weeks, Matt, we got about sixty seconds left before we go. What do you want to see Thursday night from the Steelers?
Speaker 5: Some low hanging fruit is obviously the young quarterbacks looking like they belong like I don't need them to be great. I just don't want them to look deer in headlights. You know. It's their first NFL action for both players unfortunately, and again I want to see Everett and Rubio kind of has my excitement. I mean, just draft pick guys, you know, right, I mean some of can you these young cheap dudes be valuable middle to bottom of the roster guys in their first season.
Speaker 3: I also want to see Kayden Wegen return, some kicks iabigrate. Yeah, let's see that going too. That will do it for Matt and I today. We will return on Saturday along with our full gambit of SNR coverage for the final stretch of camp. But thanks to Chris Carter for joining us earlier, and thanks to our guy Brian Lamartine for producing for us back at the ranch. Take care, everybody, We will talk to you soon. As always, you know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: We bleed Black and Gold. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers Audio Network.