Speaker 1: Look out. It's only films to be buried with Hello, films to be buried with Crewe. This is your producer, Buddy Peace. I am again standing in for your regular host Brett Goldstein, who you're going to be hearing from later on in the.
Speaker 2: Episode, of course. But this is the next in.
Speaker 1: A series of films to be Buried with Rewind Classics where we dip into the voluminous films to be buried with archives and represent repackage, polish up a previous episode, in this case Jen Brister's Resurrection episode, a fantastic resurrection version of the podcast whereby Jen gets resurrected from the dead to come back and answer all manner of questions existential and cinema. Again, just to reiterate, basically, due to the ongoing SAG after a strike, we will be temporarily on pause, and that's sort of why we're doing these sort of rewind classics, And it's also sort of it kind of times in well with a seasonal break, which we have every sort of ten episodes or so. Yeah, so this is a really good chance to not only to perhaps be introduced to Jen for the first time, but if you did miss the resurrection episode. Then it's an awesome chance to catch up on what those sound like as well, because I mean, yeah, we don't assume that everybody's heard every episode. So yeah, a really lovely one. This one went out on I am literally looking at the screen as I say this. So this one went out on October the first, twenty twenty. So by this point we are now in the Pandemic episodes and the Patreon episodes too, so yeah, this is this is of course a really good one one that we sort of handpicked from the archives. Also just to say if you are not already up to speed on the Patreon feature of the podcast, Basically on Patreon we do a video version of the podcast and an uncut and extended version of the podcast too, which has extra questions, a secret, lots more shatter and yeah, it's a really fun way of supporting because you get extra stuff and if you enjoy it, then it's a nice way to sort of so appreciation. If you feel like that's achievable and if you feel like that's the doable thing for you, it's all incredibly appreciated obviously and only goes back into the podcast. So yeah, huge things if you do decide to do that. If you fancy rating the podcast, that would be awesome too, but don't need a review of the podcast. In this case, we ask you to leave a review of your favorite film or just a film, and yeah, make it funky. So that'd be awesome to hear from you that way too. So yeah, please enjoy this Resurrection episode, rewind classic, and I'll be back at the end with the usual outro business. But enjoy. This is episode two hundred and seventy one, previously known as episode one hundred and fifteen of Films to be Buried With.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With the Resurrection. I am joined today by a comedian, an actor, a writer, a podcaster, a presenter, a legend, a hero, a mother, a wife to me, and apparently someone else, says, she says, despite the fact I've seen very little evidence of it. Please welcome to the show, my friend and yours, the amazing, the brilliant. It's Jeff Brisa Ah Brett.
Speaker 3: I can't believe leaveing advice to be back onto this. I feel, what a privilege, what a delight. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no pressure on you, but your episode was one of my favorites. And when people say which episode s did I listen to? I say, jem Brister No at Lucky Lucky people.
Speaker 3: Well, that one was recorded in Edinburgh twenty eighteen, where you know, where you're just running from one thing to the next, and you're like, do you do this podcast? And I was like, yeah, yeah, and I'm very sketchually prepared for it. And that's code for hadn't And the very little notes that I had made I didn't bring with me.
Speaker 4: Don't know if you remember.
Speaker 3: So every time you asked me a question, I went, ah, can I ever think about that?
Speaker 4: You're like, not really, because we're recording.
Speaker 2: It was a very poorsy episode. It made it very dramatic people.
Speaker 4: Very dramatic.
Speaker 2: Very Do you remember Edinburgh? Do you remember Edinburgh? Do you remember live?
Speaker 3: Do you remember going out of the house those days, good old days where you'd meet people in the flesh.
Speaker 2: Good life. Do you remember live.
Speaker 4: Vaguely?
Speaker 3: Do you remember being in a room where you could stand next people.
Speaker 2: Other people?
Speaker 4: Do you remember do you remember the touch? Do you remember the touch?
Speaker 2: Remember shaking hands? Do you remember that.
Speaker 4: The very thought of that? Now, I mean I don't know what we were thinking back in the old days where we sick and do that air kissing thing.
Speaker 2: Oh. I mean that was bad enough, but some people used to follow through, do you remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah, actually brushed their lips against your flesh.
Speaker 2: Disgusting. I did a Birthday Girls podcast. I highly recommend it, and they every every week they say you're legend and dick of the week, and I was like, well, it's either me or the person I lived with it, that's it. I guess with you, you've got three to choose from three others.
Speaker 3: My legends were my children, which was such a loser thing to such a loser move on my part, But that was Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think my dick of the week was pretty patel.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's fair.
Speaker 3: She'd very much been in the not if not, my preferge, you just very much been in my face for that day.
Speaker 4: So I launched her.
Speaker 2: That's fair. I probably should have done that then throw my girlfriend under the bus. I did it. I did it. Jennifer Bristo, Well, I guess we have to ask this. But your lockdown life, I imagine it is vastly different from mine. What was the fact that you have twin boys?
Speaker 4: Yes, and no school and no school, And.
Speaker 2: As I watched over your Instagram stories, I describe it like watching the film Castaway sped up and gaining traction of madness. And I loved it and I loved it, and I would like to put the whole thing to music. Think it would work about I think.
Speaker 3: At one point I was just talking to an animate objects and they became my friend. The whole of Lockdown was so surreal, and I think the only way I managed to get through that.
Speaker 4: Was knowing that everybody else was suffering.
Speaker 3: If there had been some instance where it was like just Brighton is in Lockdown and everybody else is fine, I would have literally just walked.
Speaker 4: Out, bye bye.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was hard, but I mean, like you.
Speaker 3: Know, it was hard for everybody was there. It was tricky for everyone for different reasons. Even if you know, it's tricky for me because I didn't get any alone time, and it was tricky for some people who were like I would really.
Speaker 4: Like some company around now. I am very tired of my own company. My brother was literally on his own six months, bless him.
Speaker 2: So what's he like now? Is he different?
Speaker 4: He is an empty shell of a man.
Speaker 3: No, I think he's He basically said to me he's moving out of his flat. He goes, I've got to get a two bedroom flat. He said, I'll pay.
Speaker 4: More, I'll do anything, just so I have another room to walk around. Because he was working from home.
Speaker 3: He was like, I'm basically working living, you know, watching television.
Speaker 4: He said, all in the same room. And he said it was just like being in prison. So yeah, move.
Speaker 3: He's literally moving house of flat so he can have because he's anticipating the next lockdown, so that when he is going back shit, he can do it in more than one room, which I think fair play to you.
Speaker 2: I think that's brilliant. What I also like is that he didn't think I'll get two bedrooms and get another person in that bedroom, so I haven't other you be he just wanted the biggest space to walk.
Speaker 4: I just wanted a bit more space. Yeah, he's a classic prister. He doesn't do well in company, so it's better that he's on his own.
Speaker 2: I respect that. How was being a teacher? I mean, are you tell me this? Because when people tell me genuinely my answer when people say, oh, stand up, it's so brave and always going shut up, people go, I'll be so scared. That must be hard. I always think being a teacher in my head is like being a stand up for eight hours a day with a very heckily Nightmari's crowd that you're trying to get to pay attention, and yeah, I have to entertain them. Like, how did you find as a stand up being a teacher to two fellows?
Speaker 4: Five gods?
Speaker 3: I didn't take to it very well. I very quickly that my children don't respect me, and which was quite suffering actually. And there were occasions where they would be distracted by a plastic cup and they weren't and I was singing and dancing and doing everything I could to distract them, and then they just look at plastic up and go.
Speaker 4: This this plastic cup is yellow, mamma. And I'm like, I'm trying to teach you phonics. You know. It was really hard.
Speaker 3: And there were days where I would I'd wake up in the morning and go really con gent, today's the day that we did poets sided the shit out of this.
Speaker 4: They're going to really connect with you. We're going to be having They're going.
Speaker 3: To be like, Mama, when you teach we learned so much, and every day was like, I want to.
Speaker 4: Do a bell, I'm hungry, I hate home school. When can I play? Can I watch them?
Speaker 2: Telly?
Speaker 4: I need a snack, Mama, well you, oh my aunt?
Speaker 2: When I do a popo, I need a way, I'm gonna go sick.
Speaker 3: And it was like, oh God, I literally feel myself.
Speaker 2: It was lovely to be together and have that time as a family.
Speaker 4: Really lovely. Look jokes aside.
Speaker 3: Honestly, truthfully, it was on one level it was lovely because as a stand up comedian, I'm away a lot, and I was about I was in the middle of my tour when the whole thing sort of fell apart, and I was going to be away for like between February and May.
Speaker 4: That was that was all booked up. I was away for most of it.
Speaker 3: And if you go away a lot your children, it's not that they don't love you, but they do sort of become slightly indifferent to you.
Speaker 4: You're like, you're there, you're not there.
Speaker 3: They're kind of used to you going away, so don't they know not to rely on you and they know not to sort of invest too much, and so they were gradually heading towards you know, that difference. But the lockdown is meant that I'm back in the room. I'm back in the room as far as my kids were concerned.
Speaker 2: So now they rely on you, and this sounds like a disaster.
Speaker 3: I know a great thing about being I mean, you know, for any couple where one of them goes out to work and then they come home and I'm so tired, and you don't understand how tired I am. Deep down, they know that they've gone. They know that, you know, so I would come back. Oh, well, I've been, and I'm tired because I've been, But deep down I knew Chloe was in the ship. So on the one hand, I'm quite glad that I got to hang out with them. But on the other hand, it's reminded me that being with your children all the time is actual work, and my job is a piece of piece compared to compared to what I've had to do for the last six months. It's been so hard. So I'm really glad that they're at school. And even if we go.
Speaker 4: Back into lockdown, I'm still dropping them off there, so they'll have to entertain themselves somehow. Just wait out there and I'll pick you up at three. Okay, all right then.
Speaker 2: Bye, it is a plastic cup.
Speaker 4: Enjoy this.
Speaker 3: It distracted you last time. Yeah, so that's what I'm going to be doing.
Speaker 4: But look, they're in school now, and I do feel more human. I do feel much more human.
Speaker 3: I've got a personality and a life again, and that I'm I'm a real person because I started to forget.
Speaker 2: Are a real person? Do I look like I can see you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've sort of have the vague aura of a of a human.
Speaker 4: Why does your head look smaller? My head look.
Speaker 2: Bigger because I'm a real human. You're an approximation what you think a human would look like, and you're trying to put it off.
Speaker 4: So I've failed at that quite dramatically. I've really got the perspective from my head is way too big, and yours is that yours is the perfect pin head size.
Speaker 2: My head is actually, in real life massive, And I can't wear a hat. One of the reasons I worry about being a film director is because you know, you have to wear a cap, and I'm not sure I could get one on.
Speaker 3: You can always get you know, they've got those buttons at the back so that you know, yeah, if you ever tried to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you ever looked at someone with one, you know, the last button, you know.
Speaker 3: I've seen people and they just feel like, I can't even do the fucking thing up at the back, so it's just and it's flapping free. And do you know what those guys embrace it? You know, the ones that have got like they've almost got like a rectangle sort of like the the head has a right angle and hot dog rolls and on the back of the not even on their neck, on their actual head. I really appreciate a man that's got head fat because I think you've got to work hard for that.
Speaker 2: You've got to really filled up the rest of you that the head goes. All right, I'll take some I'll take.
Speaker 4: Some of that for you.
Speaker 3: And usually they're like it's sometimes I'm like, it's not even that you're like fat, it's just that you're just.
Speaker 2: I think it's a choice. I think it's you have a word with yourself and go let's put it in the head.
Speaker 3: I think there are some guys, you know, when they go to the gym and they take steroids. Yeah, and you know they're taking steroids, and they're like, what part of your bodies you really want to work on, and they go, I want to work on my pecs, I want to look on my shoulders, I want to work on my biceps, my triceps. Yeah, this is what I'm looking at. I think there are someone that go, you know that.
Speaker 4: The back of my head. I'd really love to get a little lab up there, because.
Speaker 2: You can have a three pack on your head. You can, you can.
Speaker 3: So there are men going for a six pack understandably, and there's someone going three packs back at the head mate and you're like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that. Yeah, maybe when it take steroids.
Speaker 4: Here's a protein shake, good luck, just inject that strange.
Speaker 2: You know, jennifs the one good question I wanted to ask you before. I want to ask if you've actually done because I think you have. Have you done a human being gig?
Speaker 3: I've done quite a few human being gigs. I've done human being gigs. I've done gigs in car parks. I've done zoom gigs. I've done garden rooftop I've done them all. I haven't done an inside.
Speaker 2: Gig yet, but I was well, so I didn't do a car park gig. I saw videos of the car park gig, and I would describe it as the leakst lucky thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: It's quite distapian doing.
Speaker 2: Stand up to windscreens in the rain as well. What I saw, so just what I just saw someone what windscreen shouting into a void of Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've ever tried, yeah, just to pick load of people in the full focus. You're like, this isn't this is bleak, mate, I don't want to do this. I did one gig that was in a residential area so they weren't allowed to honk their horns. I said, listen, mate, you want me to do a gig in front of a load of park cars because for anyone listening to, anyone listening, going, I don't know what you're talking about. Basically, if you do a gig in a car park with people in their cars, the only way they can let you know if they're enjoying it, obviously because they're in their car, is to honk their horn. And I was told that they weren't allowed to haunt their horn, but instead the promoter had given them these plastic clackers.
Speaker 4: Do you know these ones little hands?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they clack them together like clack a clacker, clacker, So if they're enjoying the show, they're one down the window and they'll.
Speaker 4: Clacker clack a clacker to kill me now and before I have no word of a lie.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've heard these clacker things, but before I got introduced on stage, if you can't see what's happening, it does sound like this just sounds like two hundred men vigorously wanking in a car park, and that was quite triggering for me actually as lesbians.
Speaker 2: So I genuinely I don't want to I don't want to say this, but there's sort of no way of proving that wasn't what was going on. So there's no way I can't prove it. You say that to me because you've just told me a story of two hundred men in the car park. Supposedly they supposedly they all had clackers. Just doesn't.
Speaker 3: So grim anyway, It looks like it doesn't really look like anything that's going to change too much in the the future.
Speaker 4: So that could be the future of comedy, just using carpet.
Speaker 2: Just men wanking us from curs. Jennifer brist you have been resurrected, Do do do do do?
Speaker 4: This is incredible because I did actually die.
Speaker 2: You died, well, okay, Earth, But what point in your life would you like to come back to? Would you change anything?
Speaker 3: There's like a million regrets. Could I come back to the beginning of my stand up career? Just start it again, because there's a lot of things I wouldn't do it the same way? Oh my days. I would change a few things.
Speaker 2: Let me sell you, we'd cut all the learning bit and just go straight and success.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I would cut out at least ten years and go listen, you didn't need to do all about ship. What were you doing there? Why were you doing sketch comedy? For fuck's sake?
Speaker 4: Just sit up?
Speaker 2: What was your sketch show?
Speaker 3: I was working with a friend of mine who is certainly was she doesn't do it anymore. A brilliant writer, actor, comedian, just all around funny woman, Claire Ward.
Speaker 4: And she was just genuinely better.
Speaker 3: At me that sketch than she's just better at me, better at mester.
Speaker 2: Called better at me.
Speaker 3: That was the name of our sketch refers she was better than me, and I was always better at doing stand up and just chat and improvising and that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: That was my sort of thing.
Speaker 3: But Claire was really good at the actual sketch comedy, in writing sketches and coming up with original ideas, and that was her thing. Yeah, So we did that for a few years and I just was never very good at it. And I don't know why.
Speaker 2: What was it called.
Speaker 3: Well, we were in a sketch group originally called the Loose Connection, and then we just did stuff together as Jenny, Claire and Jen, but we were never really called Claire and Jen. What we'd do is we were just Claire Ward and Gen Bristo, and we'd come on as two performers and then just do our sketches, right, And we did take a show in two thousand and eight corre reception.
Speaker 4: But I would I mean, not that I regret doing all of that.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of stuff, but I would have spent a lot more time focusing on my stand up and a lot less time pretending to be I don't know, got one.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, though, dem brister, if you think it through, if you go back to what is this two thousand and eight, I.
Speaker 3: Would go back as far as two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's two thousand and four. You've come back. You're as good at stand up as you are now, but you started. So you go into a new act competition, you're fucking Everyone's like, what that fuck is this? You smash it up. Basically, within a year you've got your own BBC one Saturday show where you're like helping other stand ups or whatever, and your life is very different. You're playing the O two. Within four years you're a big TV star. You probably lose your way a bit ego wise, you become some sort of psychopath. Probably don't have you don't have the kids you have because you've got no empathy.
Speaker 4: Everything you're saying is probably true.
Speaker 3: Actually, if I was to go back to two thousand and four, I would be happy to go back to two thousand and four being a shit comedian, But I probably would waste a lot less time with self doubt and imposter syndrome. I would try to get rid of all of that. That's what I would try to get rid of and accelerate straight through to you can do this, brister, believe in yourself. That took fifteen years, and I think that's too long. I quite can I reduce just reduce that to half.
Speaker 4: Is that okay?
Speaker 2: I just see people.
Speaker 3: I see young people doing it in like, oh, I'm an open micah. In three years, I've got my own show on BBC blither Blin. I'm like, how did you do that? It just took me forever. I really resent my personality in my general just I just resent me. I wish I could have sorted all of that crap out sooner.
Speaker 2: I do know exactly what you mean, and not that I don't like your personality or yeah, I get it. What I mean is I relate you see you. Yeah, it's all.
Speaker 3: This is making so much sense. There's something about you that I just it's actually you.
Speaker 2: No, I do totally get that, and I do think. I think the reason that newer acts are better, I hope why the standard suddenly seems so much better, I think is because they've seen a lot more. Because you see so much more comedy now there's all the all the YouTube's or the specials, all everything.
Speaker 3: There's more women doing it. Yeah, there's a lot more women doing it. And if you started doing stand up like I did like eighteen years ago, there was like two or three women that you could go, oh, I want to be like you, and.
Speaker 4: They were like unicorns.
Speaker 3: It just seems so difficult to be able to get to that standard and get to where they were.
Speaker 4: But it seemed impossible.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think hopefully now when if women want to do comedy, they can see that it's totally possible.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a miserable life, but it is.
Speaker 2: Totally, absolutely not recommended. But if you have kids, it's a great excuse to get out of their house. The bad tour.
Speaker 3: You can go far away, squeeze a couple of kids that first, and then reason to live the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it now, Jennifer Brister, when you were brought back to life, which just happened, but in two thousand and four, the living, they're fucking excited to see you, particularly because you've just joined the open mic second and you're phenomenal.
Speaker 4: I'm really good at it.
Speaker 2: But they want to ask about films, which you've had a lot of trainings. You've been in eaven where they're obsessed.
Speaker 3: Ah, right, So do they want to know about films in the future as well as in the part.
Speaker 2: It's a very filmy universe. First question they ask is what was the last film you saw Jim Brister.
Speaker 3: The last film I saw was not that long ago, a few weeks ago. It was The Peanut Butter Falcon.
Speaker 2: Love that film you've seen?
Speaker 4: Of course you've seen it. Why am I even asking you?
Speaker 3: I think you just go on every platform and hoover up any film that has ever been made.
Speaker 4: Of course you do. I love that film.
Speaker 3: I wasn't expecting to love it. Chloe chose it. I like quite oblique outlook on that film, right, So anything that looks like it might be upbeat, I'm like, I don't think I want to watch that that looks like it would cheer me up.
Speaker 2: I don't want that.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, It's very off brand for me. And I loved it, and I've been recommending it to everybody. Someone told me that there was a story behind it, like the guys that created it, that wrote it, wrote it for the chap, the young chap that's in it, who is Zach Got saved Got.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't products with him young, a young man with down syndrome, a young actor with dance syndrome, and they wrote it for him because I think they'd all worked together, or they'd all trained together and he had been a child at her and he sort of went off the rails, started drinking and had a bit of a terrible time, and they wanted to write something for him to get him back on track, and so they wrote. They wrote The Peanut Butter Falcon for him as a vehicle for him, which I thought it was such a lovely story.
Speaker 4: But the whole the whole movie, I loved.
Speaker 3: It is a bit you know, Sacharin, but not in a kind of mawkish. I didn't find it to be diabetic inducing sweet. I just thought it was I just thought they got the balance really really, you know, spot On.
Speaker 2: Have you seen Queen and Slim?
Speaker 4: I haven't.
Speaker 2: I'm going to listen it down.
Speaker 4: I'm going to note. Look, I've got a notebook and everything.
Speaker 2: Look we're here for work, Jen, This isn't all in life. Sometimes you've got giving.
Speaker 4: I've got taking notes.
Speaker 2: This is it Queen and Slim, which is very different in many ways, but as the same sort of There's something about it that remind me of Peanut Back Falcon in that there's a kind of the way it's shot and the kind of tone of it. Slightly. I don't know what the word is a fable. Like a fable, it's not quite real life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not entirely naturalistic. No, yeah, it's it's got a story to tell, and a fable is the perfect way of describing the peanut butter falcon because there are points in it like his super strength and the bit where he's being what's what's the name of the actor that's in it, Sharyla Birth.
Speaker 4: He's brilliant in it.
Speaker 3: He's absolutely amazing in it where he's pulling him out of the water on the rope. You know, there's bits in it where you're like, okay, you know it stretches naturalism a little bit, but the actual story has there's a morality, there's a there's a moral to it. And that's why I really enjoyed it, I suppose. And the acting was great and the connection between the actors so I thought was really sweet as well, between Sharla Birth and Zach was lovely.
Speaker 4: It was really good.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm glad we brought you back to life. The answers, who do you think should play you in the film of your life?
Speaker 3: I think, and only because when this I don't know if you guys, you guys there's any you here. I don't know if you remember this butt the Whale Rider. Of course you do, the New Zealand film The whirl Rider. Well, the young girl that played the whale oscar Keisha Castle Hughes. When that film came out, everyone went, oh my god, if there was a film of your life, she would play you as a child. And I was like, well, okay, so I'm going to say Keisha because I cannot think of another actor that could play right.
Speaker 2: So Keisha Castle Hughes goes on the open mic circuit. I love this film. I will watch this film. It's a fable.
Speaker 4: It's so many layers to this.
Speaker 3: So she would play me on the open mic circuit, definitely, and you'd see her gradual, very gradual, incremental, actual glacial rise to middle success.
Speaker 2: It's a story about not giving up.
Speaker 3: It's a story that you know there's no happy ending, but there's a bit where you go, well, she didn't kill herself, and she seems like she's okay, she's not overeating anymore, and she looks like she's back on track.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fine, she's dealt with a unibrow. Okay, great, she.
Speaker 2: Looks It's a powerful piece Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Think she would be great.
Speaker 3: I think she'd capture the because there's a lot of layers for this story. Yeah, and I think she picked up my vibe. Both of us are quite beige. Also, when I was in New Zealand many many years ago, I kept being asked by Maury people if I was if I was Maury.
Speaker 4: So they were asking me that all the time.
Speaker 2: Said in the film, that will be less less awkward that moment.
Speaker 4: Because because yeah, I am. Actually you're supposed to be have Spanish.
Speaker 2: Sure, whatever, it's a complex piece.
Speaker 3: It's a complex piece. There's a ven diagram there, and she's somewhere in the middle. There's Maury, there's Spanish, there's English, there's there she is, She's bang in the middle. She can have And also, you know, you'd need somebody that could carry the weight of this heavy lesbian personality, and I think she could do it perfectly.
Speaker 2: Do you have the personality of a heavy lesbian? I think so.
Speaker 3: I think there's you know, there's light lessions and there's heavy ones. I feel like my personality is definitely on the heavier side. Yeah. I don't think that's just said about the light and heavy spectrum. Actually, when it comes to personalities, where would you where would you sit yourself? I think you're quite in the middle. I think you give off light personality, but I think there's a dark side to you, Bret, which we haven't tapped into yet.
Speaker 4: Would you agree?
Speaker 3: Sometimes there's a furrowed brow, and I think what's going on under those eyebrows?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're basically as soon as the past ends, yeah, it all comes out. But this is where I have to keep your podcast to a certain length of time because I can only maintain.
Speaker 4: This, keep it together for this amount of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right. What's the film of your life called starring?
Speaker 4: Middle of the Road?
Speaker 2: Love it? What is the most romantic film you? I've never seen. You look so panicked.
Speaker 4: That wasn't in my preparation. You just on me. Look listen, very.
Speaker 2: Improp It was really good, really good. It makes sense. That makes sense, except that in the end you realize not middle, you're heavy.
Speaker 4: Oh god, yeah, but that's about what's not.
Speaker 2: Wait, personality, heavy lesbian personality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, heavyweight personality, lesbian that travels that's only traveled to the middle.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Let's not break it down too much. It was for too many spoilss.
Speaker 2: What's the most romantic film you've ever seen? I I think, may I say something, I think you pretend not to be a romantic person, and I think you are.
Speaker 3: I I am a sucker for a romantic film, but it has to be. It's I think with romantic films, it's all about when you see it as well. So you can see it at a time when you're like, oh, this is just bullshit, Well I'm not given be into this, and then there's another time that you might see that exact same film and it just catches a moment in your life where you're feeling like either you really want to be in a relationship or you've just come out of one and you're feeling a bit vulnerable or whatever it is. And Before Sunrise it's one of those films that I saw. Must have been quite young. It must have been in my twenties, and I saw it and I sort of wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did. And I think I watched it with my brother Greg, and neither of us, certainly to each other, would be talking about romantic films. And we were always into action films and sci fi films and stuff like that, and both of us just fell in love with it. And then we've since watched the trilogy of the movies, and I know that every time each we've seen it, we haven't seen the other two together, We've ended up talking about it as if you know, like as if.
Speaker 4: We know this couple.
Speaker 3: And also I love that film also because if you watch the whole trilogy of films, you see because ordinarily that would be the end of their story. Yeah, and you know, you think, how romantic, but that is inevitably when a couple get together, that's the beginning of your story.
Speaker 4: And I loved all of them.
Speaker 3: I loved all of the films, and I love and I love Julie del particular.
Speaker 4: I think she's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's great. The third film is quite incredible. It's so dark and like it's such a hardcore.
Speaker 3: It's not when you compare it to it. Before Sunset is the last one, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Midnight?
Speaker 3: Before Midnight? Before Sunset is the second one, and before Midnight that's it. Well, yeah, before Midnight. It's kind of the antithesis of the first one really in some ways.
Speaker 2: But this is real, this is marriage.
Speaker 3: But this is this is long term relationships. Yeah, this is what it does to you. You have to keep reinventing. You have to accept in a long term relationsis you have to accept that you are going to get bored of the person, that they're going to get bored of you, that you're going to have times where you stop finding them attractive. There are times that they very much find you on attractive and that you might stop and think, oh.
Speaker 2: Is this it? Like I say, you're a romantic.
Speaker 4: But I like that that.
Speaker 3: Film was like it was kind of like they got to that point where they're like, Oh, Jesus Christ, is this it for me?
Speaker 4: For the rest of Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: And and also I think a lot of Hollywood movies always tried they shy away from the reality of what relationship, long term relationships are.
Speaker 4: And also like if you stick around often, if you.
Speaker 3: Do work to all of that, then you come out the other end and you're even stronger and better for it. But that first film, because it's the beginning, and the beginning is where all the romance is often or that excitement that you can't ever recreate until you hit into another relationship. And I was single at the time, and I just remember thinking it just looked a wonderful.
Speaker 2: Thing to be your experience of long term life and all the things you just said. Do you think it's just a cycle you feel those things and then it goes back up again, or is it just a steady decline?
Speaker 3: I think you have to oh God like therapy, isn't it. I think you have to be really proactive and motivated, and you have to want it, and you have to work at it.
Speaker 4: You have to, and if you don't, then it will end.
Speaker 3: And that's why I'm all full of things like couple's therapy, and you know, because the thing that is the hardest part of to keep going in a relationship is communication because all those resentments start to build up and then you don't communicate them, and then you can't see a way of getting past them, and then that affects every aspect of your relationship.
Speaker 4: So I think anyone that's in.
Speaker 3: A long term you know, and I'm talking like fifteen years plus, will know that you have to really try, you have to want it. And I think having kids makes you go, well, we can't just you know, sack this shit.
Speaker 4: We need to talk about it.
Speaker 3: So but equally sometimes you can't get past it, and that's why there's a bazillion divorces, isn't there? I mean, you know, and equally, I sometimes think relationships come to a natural conclusion and it doesn't mean that they've failed. It just means that they've come to an end. And that's also what happens sometimes. But that trilogy is just so brilliant. If people haven't seen it, I would have recommend it.
Speaker 2: So, Jen, Yes, what is the best film you ever saw that you never want to see again?
Speaker 3: I think any sad film. I can't watch sad films more than once, so anything like Shinder's List.
Speaker 2: So you like a bleak film but not a sad film. Is there a difference for you?
Speaker 3: Well, a bleak film is sort of dystopian, often kind of futuristic or horror, you know, or you know, it's like some sort of dark scife I think, or you know, like they're walking dead or something like that, do you know what I mean? But something where it's there's a real story to it, particularly if it's if it is in any way connected to real life, like shind this list, that's a one time thing for me. I don't need to see that again. I don't need to see you know, twelve Years Slave again.
Speaker 2: I don't need to see.
Speaker 3: That's the one undone, isn't it. I don't need to see Broke I don't even need to see Broke Back Mountain again.
Speaker 4: I remember seeing Broke Back Mountain. I loved it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was beautifully shot, thought the acting was outstanding, and it completely killed me.
Speaker 4: I was at the end of the film.
Speaker 2: I was broken.
Speaker 4: I was broke Back Mountain broke me?
Speaker 2: You weak?
Speaker 4: I was broken back to mountained.
Speaker 3: Okay, So so yeah, I don't think I'll ever watch that film again.
Speaker 4: I've never seen Schinder's List again.
Speaker 2: So yeah, say that's fair. You don't want to put that on a loop at a party.
Speaker 4: No, that's not the one. That's not the one that you have at your fortieth is it?
Speaker 3: Hey, Let's and all of those Manchester by see. You don't need to see these films again. So I appreciate them at the time that I watched them. I think they're brilliant. I always think the acting is phenomenal. But one time on it, thank you about mad.
Speaker 2: I think it totally makes sense. May I say, I think we didn't make enough of what an amazing answer. You go previously about romantic film and your life. I really appreciate it. Now, next question, Jennifer bris.
Speaker 4: I love that this is the most seenless podcast. Do you know what I mean? I love all the segways go. They sort of go really well.
Speaker 3: Into one another, so natural, and at no point is there any change.
Speaker 4: CUTR isn't working.
Speaker 2: Now, this one I think is big for you. Is it the best action film you've ever seen? I know you've seen them.
Speaker 4: I love an action film. God, my taste in films is basically a sixteen year old boy. I suppose when.
Speaker 3: You say action, can I include like sci fi films in it?
Speaker 2: They're actually okay?
Speaker 4: Right? Aliens?
Speaker 2: That is definitely an action film.
Speaker 4: That is probably the best action film in the world. Aliens, not Alien, but Aliens.
Speaker 2: Listen, she's not with Alien, right.
Speaker 4: I love Alien, I love Alien, but I love Aliens.
Speaker 3: I just thought, in terms of action, it was Bill Paxton in that Come.
Speaker 2: On, come on, come on, come Bill.
Speaker 4: What an absolute dude.
Speaker 3: He was brilliant in it, and Sigorny obviously is amazing in it, and it's terrifying, and there's everything you want in an action film. There's a baddie, that guy from my two dads, My two.
Speaker 2: Dads, isn't it one of the mighty dads.
Speaker 4: One of my two dads, not the one with the mullet, the other one.
Speaker 3: In fact, they both got mullets, but the one with the mullet, it was a shorter one.
Speaker 2: Be mad about you and mighty Dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so he's the baddy in it. He's great, you think, you think he's quite benign, but then he turns out to be an absolute bastard.
Speaker 4: There's a ginger cat who doesn't like a cat. There's a little girl that she gets saved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, doesn't make it very further.
Speaker 3: There's a little hispanic lesbian who's maybe not a lesbian, but she needs to tell a haircut that.
Speaker 4: There's Phil Paxson.
Speaker 3: There's the other handsome chap whose name I never know, who is in it as well, you know what's his name.
Speaker 4: There's loads of action in it.
Speaker 3: And also there's aliens in it, and they're awful, awful people.
Speaker 2: Mean, they're so mean, the aliens.
Speaker 3: Also, it's bad enough that you've got two mouths. I mean, that's greedy, but acid for blood.
Speaker 2: Come on, So where's all this line coming from the hotel.
Speaker 4: It's the whole times, I know. And also it's like it's just dreadful table manners, that's the.
Speaker 2: Main thing off and things like what like you never tower off?
Speaker 3: No, but if they did, because of all the slime you'd get, all the little towel balls, wouldn't you.
Speaker 2: Be very gritty tower?
Speaker 4: It was very Yeah, it would be.
Speaker 2: Of all the films if you had to and you could, which film do you think you could have made? And why?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I used to think I could make something as brilliant as Abigail's Party.
Speaker 4: Now, look, I couldn't answer.
Speaker 2: I could not good. I believe in you.
Speaker 3: Abigail's Party I was obsessed with for quite a long time. I remember when I saw it, I thought if I could make a film like this or a play that was a brief obsession of mine was trying to write something, and I ended up writing something that was basically Abigail's Party.
Speaker 2: So you could make it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could, I could make I could.
Speaker 3: I could make a really shit version of Mike Lee's Abigail's Party. That would probably be if I was going to write a script, that would be the closest thing I could imagine myself writing towards Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's a bit, I believe it. I've just remembered that I saw you in Trevior Lux play in Edinburgh. Are you with the perfect?
Speaker 4: Oh? The one in the one and the Many? Yeah? I don't know what I did. I played a few.
Speaker 2: Parts film Have you pretended to like? To impress people?
Speaker 4: So Coup by Francois Trufau.
Speaker 3: I studied very good E Wade French cinema at a level, so I had to watch I had to watch a lot of Francois Trufeau's films and lookato song. Coup was one of the films I had to write like a five thousand word essay on Dear God. And I didn't really I think I watched it when I was like sixteen, and so I didn't really get it.
Speaker 4: I didn't really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: And then I remember, like I don't know, fifteen years later, being at some sort of boring dinner party or something and someone talking about Trufau and I stupidly went and I can't read remember anything of it, you know, fifteen years later and.
Speaker 4: They were like going, oh, I love new Wave in.
Speaker 3: Cinema and I went, oh, I studied trutho at and then that was it. We went deep and I had nothing. I had a very superficial remembering of any of his movies and really struggled through that, and I had to pretend I love to look at Songkoup when I remember watching it being bored out of my mind. So I think if I watched it now, I'd enjoy it a lot more. But I don't remember loving.
Speaker 2: You think they knew? Do you think you got away with it?
Speaker 4: They didn't know, they didn't know.
Speaker 3: It was a very uncomfortable conversation, but I think they went away. Also, I did that a lot of things like what how did you feel about blah blah? You know, I did a lot of question asking and then that's that triggered some memories, which meant I could blag it. So I looked like I wasn't a complete philistine.
Speaker 4: Which I am.
Speaker 2: That's very good.
Speaker 4: Have you ever got into any of that new waves?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But do I like any of it? At me? I'm going to I think I'd be at that dinnerbout it with you again?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 4: You know what we've seen aliens.
Speaker 2: Jeb, what is a film that you've never seen that you think it's mad, you've never seen it. Quadrophenia, that is mad, jembrist. What is the film you love that you don't expect anyone else to like?
Speaker 4: The Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 2: You've come to the right place.
Speaker 4: The Lord of the Rings. It's just Lord of the Rings. The Lord of the Rings. Yeah, Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 2: You're talking to the right person to because you hate it, let's listen. I admire it and respect the time management that it must have taken to make it. It's a huge achievement. It's hugely achieved. It's huge. I can't I can't criticize it. All I can say is it's not for me, the story of things walking along for twelve hours, one thing in another thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know anyone that likes that film. The amount of times I've said, I can't remember. There was a point in my life. I haven't watched it so many years now, but there was a point in my life where I would just get down and every year I had it on a box set, I go, I know, I'll do, I'll watch Lord of the Rings. I'd watch all three films like a like twelve hour marathon or whatever. It is not that long, but you know, a ridiculous amount of time.
Speaker 4: And then I let that out. Once I let that cat out of the bag, I know to keep that cat well in the bag by the way now.
Speaker 3: And people looked at me like I'd literally like shat in my hand and thrown it in their face. So we're like, what are you watching Lord of the Rings for? Are you eleven?
Speaker 4: Why are you watching that for a load of hobbits with Oh I'm a small person with furry feet. It's gone for a long walk. Oh I never wit. It actually is really racist. Why are the ox black? Have you even thought about that?
Speaker 3: Checky privilege? And I'm like, do you know what? I hadn't really just thought it was like a fantasy. I just it was escapism and I've really ruind it to me now, so I do appreciate it's not for everyone.
Speaker 2: That's really really good of you. And the thing is, you're going to in a party with people who like fucking France Worth three face?
Speaker 4: Why would you bring up Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 2: That's not going to mean I'm glad you like it. Listen. I think it's a popular trilogy.
Speaker 3: Well, the only other person I know that enjoys it is Kerry Godlin's husband, and that's what we bond on the fact that even more, Yeah.
Speaker 4: He hates it, I mean she hates it. Don't tell Kerry she won't enjoy it.
Speaker 2: No, well, it is really boring. What is the what is the film you would show a lover as a test to see if you should be together? Basically, what's a deal break? If they didn't like it, you're like, forget it?
Speaker 4: Well, nothing really, because we grow up.
Speaker 3: I'm just astablished that I like Lord of the Rings for God's sake.
Speaker 4: So if I have any deal break, because I could be single to the day.
Speaker 3: I die, I suppose another Mike Lee film, it would be Life Is Sweet Great. I've watched that film like twenty times and I never not like it. And even though now, like when I first watched it, it had just come out and it felt really like current and modern. Then watch it now and it's like sort of early nineties and looks so like it looks like it was a million years ago, and.
Speaker 4: I just loved it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was so beautiful and I loved the family in it, and I never not cried with the bit with Jane Horricks and Alison Stedman in the bedroom.
Speaker 4: I'm just swelling up thinking about it. I love it.
Speaker 3: I just love that movie. Timothy's small Oh just well, no, but seriously I did. But I really enjoyed it, and I would highly recommend people to watch that. But it is really dated now and.
Speaker 2: You would break up with Chloe if she didn't like it.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if she's seen it. Actually, I've got it.
Speaker 2: I had High Risk now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had it on DVD. I did have it on DVD and I lent it to someone and I don't remember who I lent it to him.
Speaker 3: I never I never got it back. But the acting is it's brilliant. And also it's a story really when nothing actually happens, very little happens in it, but it's the story of this family and their relationships. And it's a very young player Skinner and a very young Jane Horris in it. And actually Jim Broadben and Allison Saidman are reasonably young in it as well. Timothy Spall, it's brilliant. It's really good.
Speaker 2: That's lovely. Jim, what is the film that made you the most uncomfortable?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, so the film that maybe the most uncomfortable, I suppose was I watched The Shining when I was probably thirteen or fourteen with a friend, and I was terrified the whole way through the film, more because I was I think it was the first sort of horror film that I'd ever seen, and I didn't want to admit to my friend that I was absolutely shit in the bed the entire way because she and I think she probably was as well, but she was like, you know, it was literally zero expression on her face, whereas I was like, felt like I was going to die of a heart attack the whole way through. And that was the most uncomfortable viewing because not only was I genuinely terrified, I wasn't allowed to signal any terror you know, show week and after watching it, I remember thinking, well, maybe if I watched it again, I would.
Speaker 4: Be less scared, and I'll watch it again just scared.
Speaker 3: But there was a couple of scenes that stayed out in my mind, obviously, the red rum and him writing all work and no play next a dull boy, and the scene with the decomposing woman in the bathroom, all of those images and the twins, the flashing those girls.
Speaker 2: All those twins has that affected you.
Speaker 3: Well, mine aren't identical, so also get them to stand still next to each other for any amount of time forget or quiet that those images sort of stayed with me for decades and ultimately with the Shining. It's probably a classic horror film because it is everything's happening in your brain.
Speaker 4: Everything is.
Speaker 3: It's all the suspense and the horror that is happening is what is in your imagination, rather than like some sort of porn gore, you know, like you get with sore or yeah, I hate do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: I'm not into that.
Speaker 2: I don't. I'll be a call me old fashioned, but I don't like gore with my pawn. I like it, just go free. I know I'm a square. I'm a square.
Speaker 3: Listen, Brett, I'm with you. If I'm going to watch gore, I don't want porn with it.
Speaker 2: I agree with that as well. That's fair.
Speaker 4: I just want the go to take the porn out.
Speaker 2: Thanks everything in its place.
Speaker 3: Look, people say, listen, Jen, your trouble is you compartmentalized too much, And I'm like, I think on this case, it's I.
Speaker 2: Think when it comes to poor and porn and poor gorn. Separate boxes, Please, separate boxes. Oh, there's some lovely looking gore over there. Put that way.
Speaker 4: Lovely looking porn. Great, I know which one I'm going to tackle first.
Speaker 2: Sorry, did we see that porn? It was very lovely looking. Actually it was lovely looking porn. Thank you the Internet. If you could show a child one film, what would it be.
Speaker 3: Well, I'd show them any number of films, but the Muppets and probably the Muppet Christmas Carol, basically the Muppet Christmas Carol. I remember I bought it for the kids last Christmas and I put it on and I said, kids, this is a film that I used to watch.
Speaker 4: When I was little, and I loved it. And then I realized it was made in nineteen ninety two and I was seventeen, so I thought, hang on a second, Yeah, you weren't little we used to watch that.
Speaker 3: You were heading towards being an adult. You complete tree. So that just says a lot about me. But I watched that at seventeen and loved it. But yeah, I stand by the Muppets for everything.
Speaker 4: I think they're fantastic.
Speaker 2: Jimbrister is a twist. If you watch my screen, I pretend, Oh we're doing a film point because I'm so vertigo.
Speaker 3: Oh you've got the Muppets on your wall?
Speaker 4: Where did you get that from? I want that, I wanted.
Speaker 3: Oh so you did enjoy a lot of the the Pasters gives them to me.
Speaker 2: Look, I talk about it five too much, so I'm not going to. But let's keep it brief, just so you know. I genuinely believe that The Map of Christmas Carol is probably the greatest film ever made.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Brad, this is why you're my husband.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is how I think what our relationship is built on is all love of the Muppets.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I watch it at least once a year. You know, I've seen it a lot. I've seen it, I've studied it. I've seen it at say, thirty times minimum. And it's fucking every aspect, directing, writing, acting, All the Muppets are incredible in it. Michaelclain's best performance he ever gave. Yeah, a story, Christmas Carol is the greatest story ever told.
Speaker 4: That's what I was going to say. I don't think you can you can beat that for a Christmas parable? Can you?
Speaker 3: That is like, that is the best possible story for Christmas. I've showed it to my kids and fifteen minutes and they were born and walked off. But this year I think that they're going to be They're going to tap into it.
Speaker 2: Jemfer, Is that right? God? I've loved hanging out of you, and I want to do longer, but we can't because you have You've got to go and pick up the kids from they've just been. You've left them at a school gate where there's no school lining.
Speaker 3: Well, I've got a plastic cup, right, We've already established that, so I keep going on about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's true. Now I've brought you back to life, and I haven't decided. I think I'm going to let you live a while longer and you just in case something were to happen. There's a lawyer who'd like to know, what if you could have one DVD to leave to your loved ones in your will, what would it be?
Speaker 4: It would have to be Muppet's Christmas Caw. I have to be. I don't understand how I could go.
Speaker 2: I might. I might kill you again just so that your loved ones get that film. Well, think about it. I think about I'm going to leave you to live for just now.
Speaker 4: It's relief actually because I don't know if you've noticed, but I've just hit the middle of the road and I don't want to I don't want to go back town.
Speaker 2: I can, yeah, exactly basically, Jennifer Bister. Is there anything people should look out for? Is there any car parks they should be driving to? Is there anything you would like to plug?
Speaker 3: I had my book The Other Mother. Please do my book. It's available all good bookshops. I have a special on Soho on demand and next up called Meaningless and Right?
Speaker 4: Is it okay? Can I plug my podcast? Is that absolutely? Oh?
Speaker 2: Of course you can and you should that.
Speaker 3: I have a podcast which I do with Allison Junie Smith and Moore and Younger called w TB, which is an acronym for Women Talking Bollocks, which you can pick up wherever you get your podcasts, and you can pick it up, pick it, pick her out, picket you can.
Speaker 4: You don't pick podcasts up, do you? You listen to them? But you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: If you put down your phone, you could pick it up and listen.
Speaker 4: If you put down your phone and it's on your phone, then you.
Speaker 2: Can pick it, pick up a podcast. I love you.
Speaker 4: I love you. That's why we're married.
Speaker 2: Thank you for doing this again. You've been in an absolute dream boat, Brett.
Speaker 4: It's been a bloody pleasure.
Speaker 3: This is the only time I've ever been invited back onto a podcast. This may be the only time I'll ever be invited back on and it's been an absolute blinking treat.
Speaker 2: Let's just say there might be a trilogy. Have a wonderful life. I stop the recording there, Goodbye.
Speaker 4: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: So that was Episode two hundred and seventy one. Films to be buried with previously known as episode one hundred and fifteen. Please visit Brett's Patreon page at patreon dot com slash Brett Goldstein, where you get the uncut and extended episode of the podcast, and there is a video option too, which is always awesome and yeah, really really nice to get a.
Speaker 2: Visual on the episodes.
Speaker 1: There's a huge archive there. It started a little way into the podcast, but there's so much stuff on this it's awesome. So yeah, you will not be disappointed. Thanks so much to Jen for being resurrected on this rewine classic. Thanks to Scrubiu's pip and then Distraction Pieces Network. Thanks to me for editing and production, which I'm getting used to saying as a sentence at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Podcast.
Speaker 1: Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting the podcast. Thank you to Adam Richardson for the artwork and to Lisa Lyden for the photography. Join us next week for another fabulous, of course, episode of Films to be Buried with. But until then, that is it for now, have a lovely week, and please, now more than ever, be excellent to each others.
Speaker 2: Bas by bad backs as body a body
Speaker 1: Backs us back by bad back colors a sad back