Speaker 1: You're listening to the Miami Dolphins podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield. Back to throw to a looking Clip's about.
Speaker 3: A wide Dolphin touchdown?
Speaker 2: Tyrick call unclievable. Just blue fire for a second time. Don't know where he was going right away. I want to hit that man.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna help you.
Speaker 2: Someone will stup on his man.
Speaker 4: Away Wattle, Wattle to a shotgun, back to throw looking at them.
Speaker 2: Up Myers touchdown. It's Waddle his sixth touchdown.
Speaker 4: Patdowns the team.
Speaker 1: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins. Now check your pulse if you're not for.
Speaker 2: What is up? Dolphins?
Speaker 4: And welcome to the Drive Time podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, we're gonna wrap up the twenty twenty three NFL Draft and welcome in two new members to the club, Stanford tight end Elijah Higgins and Michigan tackle Ryan Hayes. We'll break down their games, their combine metrics, all that fun stuff and the statistics hear from each player, and wrap up the night with Mike McDaniel and Chris Greer's end up Draft presser from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is the Drive Time Podcast. Maggie Gaffish Fish.
Speaker 1: I mean, one hundred of the ninety seventh pick in the two posident twenty three NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select Elijah.
Speaker 2: Higgins, tight end Stanford Go Dolphins.
Speaker 3: Fin's up.
Speaker 1: Football is life, and what the Dolphins hope is that he's here.
Speaker 2: He's there, He's every freaking where. Elijah Higgins. Elijah Higgins.
Speaker 1: That's great, that's great. You know Elijah Higgins, somebody he played wide receiver as stan Ford guys. A lot of people think he'll actually play tight end in the NFL at six foot three two and thirty nine pounds.
Speaker 4: With the Stanford prote ran of four or five to four kind of that target like in heavan Ingram almost he's gonna play in the slot.
Speaker 2: He's gonna be your seamless stretcher.
Speaker 5: Your cover too.
Speaker 4: Muster and there you hear the selection of Elijah Higgins, a wide receiver at Stanford. Higgins is being listed as a tight end with your Miami Dolphins reports pre draft said there was heavy interest from four teams per Higgins himself, the forty nine Ers, the Vikings, the Titans, and your Miami Dolphins. And doesn't that list just make perfect sense? It turned out the Niners were the ones that were really the forefront. If you go to if you just do a Google search and type in his name, you'll see a report there from I think the SI Niner site about the visits and about how involved he was.
Speaker 2: I think a local visit.
Speaker 4: There with the Niners coming from obviously Stanford, the Vikings another branch off that same tree with a Niner scheme. Kevin O'Connell there in Minnesota, obviously Kyle Shanahan, no real affiliation there with the Titans, but you get the idea, like teams that run a similar offense to the Miami Dolphins liked this guy, and he told us in his post selection press conference, say that five times fast that pretty much every team he talked to talked about a bit of a transition to a more of a tight end role and a varied role is a multi fastest weapon at this next level. And admittedly I was not familiar with Higgins prior to the pick, so I went to Lance Zerline from NFL dot Com and he had this to say. Draft grace for Higgins could depend or could vary depending on how teams envision him in their offense. He appears to have the necessary tools to become a dynamic f tight end that's a move piece, a guy that's a little bit more in the Mica Sicki mold than your Durham smyth. With the ability to work all three levels of the field. Higgins has a more robust route tree than most tight ends. Also, he has the frame and technique to be an adequate run blocker in space. He could blossom for an offense ready to plug him in into two tight end sets. And for me now speaking, getting a chance to pull up a couple of his games here of tape, which was nice to have that access. He's a very smooth mover. There's not any wasted movement in his transitions and out of breaks. Like you can tell this guy is a route runner first and a physical specimen second. He's a separator at the top of the route. There's no real wasted movement. Did I just say that? In the way he sets up his routes like he doesn't elongate his strides, he doesn't take extra steps. It's all with the purpose at creating separation. And he also looks to chew up yardage after the catch. And this all kind of pairs together for this nice, complimentary piece of an athletic, physical type of option in the passing game. And that's where I think that he really has a chance to make a name for himself at this next level is a high upside pass catching tight end.
Speaker 2: It's tough to.
Speaker 4: Talk about his role as a blocker because he just did it from a different position than what you would see from a traditional tight end, you know, playing slot receiver primarily in college. But there's work there to be had to We've talked about that with Chose and Andersen. Playing that slot receiver position with a tall guy that can run and kind of bust the seam. Obviously he's not that fast, but he is, you know, kind of in that mold of a tall playmaking guy that plays inside. And he was just so good as a pass catcher. I mentioned it a few times now, the ability to create different types of production in various ways, you know, going back to like the offensive line and the way Tua gets rid of the football and how that maximizes your ability to protect the quarterback and how the sack rates you know, each of the last couple of years with two in the game versus anybody else, it like doubles, and so that's to a superpower, right his processing, his quick trigger, get the ball out. And so we praised a lot of what Trent Sherfield did last year in this offense for blocking on the perimeter. I was a huge fan of that, and that might be my favorite part about higgins game right there, is that he's a very effective perimeter blocker. So when you go twelve personnel, you can get some of that from the tight end or a eleven personnel for that matter as well, Like it doesn't matter the personnel package.
Speaker 2: But you can see.
Speaker 4: Him having a little bit of, you know, a little bit of both flavors in terms of how his role is here at the Miami Dolphins. And if you pull up his Senior Bowl tape, which is excess nowadays, which is freaking awesome, you can see him run with the tight ends all week and I thought he showed really well, that's where you really began to see his ability to transition into a role like that the workout numbers for a receiver were like good, but for a tight end they're off the charts. Four five, four forty. That's like Tan er Connor range a one five to three ten split. That is explosive man that's firing off the football, and the explosiveness is also Evan a thirty five inch vert in a ten foot six broad We did a radio pregame show on Friday, Juice Seth and myself down in Fort Lauderdale, and one of the fan questions was, who are some of the candidates for red zone targets left behind by Mike Gasicki. Who's the guy who can go up and pluck the football? This could be one of those guys. He's six foot three, good leaping ability, has the big strong frame to really survive contact. And it's just so funny because turning on the tape you can see that he rolls with the ball in his hands. We know how much this offense is predicated on Yak or at least you thought it might be. It wasn't so much last year, but maybe you can recreate that here with guys like him, because Tyreek and Jalan are so effective at catching the ball down the field. Maybe you give two us some more short options to allow him to chew up yardage when he doesn't have you know, ten or seventeen down the field. Like we saw in that Chargers and Niners game. It took away a good chunk of the middle of the field that you know, intermediate to deep middle portion of the field that leaves vacancies in the short intermediate, or I should say that the short middle, where you can then find guys like Devin a Chain, you can find guys like Brax and Burials, you can find guys like Elijah Higgins.
Speaker 2: It's kind of funny to me because I don't.
Speaker 4: Know how many times I've mentioned this on the podcast now about how in this offense and Mike McDaniel is the reason I say this because he told us this in a press conference. At tight end at offensive line, that's firing off the football is so important. And that's the first thing, you know, It's the very first play I watched against Arizona State, is that he was aligned to the to the boundary against off coverage and you have you know, ten yards eight yards of cushion and he's eating up that space immediately. That's the one, five, three, ten yards, but you see there, but also a good short area burst where he just eats up press or off coverage because you'll notice how well he carries two hundred and thirty five pounds. He's quick as hell and doesn't seem like he even has football pads on. Like watching his tape and then his workout side by side, it's pretty similar. But he quickly eats up space, stresses the middle of the field vertically from those slot antight alignments, and man seven yards average after the catch, he rolls with the football in his hands. That's the exact same average depth of target he had last year seven point one yards. So he's a fifty percent YAK player his final year there at Stanford. I think the trait that makes him really got the ball in his hands is one of the things that shows you how he can transition to playing more in line roles or various tight end rolls. There's a clip of a slot cornerback trying to reroute him in that Arizona State game in twenty twenty one, and he just runs right through the jam and he's the one that inflicts the you know, the knockback. He's the one that gets the corner off balance and takes his route right to the flag wide open because he ran the dude over basically and goes up and plucks it super strong through through contact. Then literally one snap later, Arizona or rather Stanford, has put the ball into the low red zone one on one to the field the wide side of the formation from the six yard line. They throw him a fade pass and again he engages the contact on the jam and runs right through it and puts himself an easy position for a touchdown grab. That's a very quarterback friendly trait to possess, to know you've got a guy that can control the rep from a physicality standpoint, because those guys are so difficult to intercept the ball against, so those types of plays and that's very important on fifty to fifty balls for the trust of your quarterback. He wins down the field with that style of route to the physicality, like he beats leverage with body positioning and physicality aspect of his game, and man, the release package screams wide receiver. That's what really intrigues me. He's got very high upsides of pass catching tight end trates and he seems to have an answer for the various ways team try to cover him. And we talked about Eric Saubert's hand size and how he just plucks it naturally. This guy's got ten and a half inch hands. That's ninety fourth percentile for the position. He had one hundred and nineteen catches at Stanford for thirteen hundred and eighty yards and six touchdowns. Last year. He caught seventy two percent of his targets. He played in the slot eighty percent of the time, eighteen point five percent out wide, and two percent in line. That was on six hundred and sixty one total snapped and he also played on special teams too, and that type of speed can really help you in that area of the game. Between he and Tanner connor Man, you've got two really high upside gifted athletes for that f role. Maybe it's a number three tight end right away, but potentially down the road you develop into a guy that can be a dependable pass catcher.
Speaker 2: I think it's a really, really, really good.
Speaker 4: Flyer take in the sixth round and just kind of perusing social media and looking at some of the takes from the draftnicks out there. Jim Nagy had a tweet from last July talking about Elijah Higgins hitting twenty one point five miles per hour GPS on a fifty six yard touchdown catch he had against UCLA. And when you watch it, I talked about the way he runs through reroutes and physicality in this off coverage it's a little stutter and ghost step, and you see the route running ability in the really no way movement on that touchdown catch. I retweeted it. Go check it out. Really impressive play right there. You've also got this from lan zer Line once again. Higgins is an awesome value pick. Is a big slot slash f tight end whom Mike McDaniel can have some fun with. Saw this tweet from Chris Kaufman and Mike McDaniel's two drafts with the Miami Dolphins. I've taken two pass catchers Aszukama and Higgins. Those two combined for twenty eight broken tackles in seven hundred and seventy seven yards after the catch on one hundred and six catches and their final season combined. So there's more of your YAK stuff right there. Speed the tight end position, speed all over the field. Pretty cool that his father played football at USF and so he was born in the state of Florida, but he did move after he was born as his father was in the Air Force. He did tell us in the press conference his whole family is from Tampa now, so he is excited about coming back to his home state and being close to them. Let's go ahead and hear from Elijah and his post selection press conference with the South Florida media. But first, right before that, let's go to the emotional moment between Elijah and Coach McDaniel on their draft day call.
Speaker 6: Thank you doing man for the Dolphins.
Speaker 4: I'm doing well, man.
Speaker 5: It's been tough.
Speaker 4: Don't get it's been tough.
Speaker 1: Good things happening, though.
Speaker 5: It was a wait man.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know we're going to have.
Speaker 6: A few fixing in the draft, so we were doing on the type of guys you want to bring in, and uh, we're on the clock here now to make your Dolphin.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it very much, man, appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Hey, let it out, man, don't worry worry about it. We're excited, man, it's a great opportunity for you.
Speaker 4: So very excited.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate it, coach man, that's awesome. Dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is uh, you know, it's uh, everything happens for a reason, Bud, and this is something you've earned, this opportunity and uh yeah, you know you're talking to an emotional guy, So don't worry, just let that.
Speaker 2: Let it all out.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it. Thank you. Shout out to the Dolphins social team and video team here for getting all that stuff for us and putting it up on their social channels. Let's go ahead and go to the press conference here and start with his first question for Elijah about his blocking role in the Stanford offense and how excited he is to have an opportunity to increase that role as more of a tight end here with the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say I'm aggressive for sure, and I'm willing to get in battle as well in the fire their defenders for position on the field and just by the position in general obviously, But I would say, like the more morbib all, just say I'm aggressive, I'm willing to block, will get my hands dirty, and I'm excited to take on that role.
Speaker 4: Next, I had mentioned the experience of his father being in the military. He was asked what he learned from his father, and you could tell in the press conference what he took from his father. He talked about being respectful of one another. But also in that press conference, the way he thanked us all for our questions, addressed us by our name once we told him our name.
Speaker 2: Just a really cool kid. To see how nice and respectful he was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just being respectful at all times, being humble, being grounded, being president of the moment or things like that, and then holding yourself to accountability and being able to depend on others and allow them to depend on you as well.
Speaker 4: And how about that family ties back to Florida? Do you still have family down here in South Florida?
Speaker 3: Elijah, Yeah, I'm actually in Tampa right now.
Speaker 5: My family moved back here and then my entire extended family is here as well. So I'm excited to be back a little closer to home, be in their family, and be able to see family as well.
Speaker 2: And as you heard on that draft call, very very emotional.
Speaker 4: Here's Elijah walking us through the moment he got that phone call from the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was, it was. It was a long process, for sure. It was definitely difficult, you know, getting into round five, getting through round six and then it's kind of just waiting around and it happened, And I would say it's definitely challenging to describe, but definitely a lot of emotions all at once, and I think the ability to be able to process all those different types of motions with family around it was definitely Aquo experience.
Speaker 4: Two more here for Elijah Higgins. First, your impressions of coach Mike McDaniel.
Speaker 5: There my knowledge him, just a great dude. I'm all around, seems like a players coach for sure, but the one coach I had spent the most time was was the tight ends coach touch Embury.
Speaker 4: So and last, but not least, your impressions of the guy that he say spends most time with, Dolphins tight ends coach John Embrey Love.
Speaker 5: I love coach Embriy, to be honest. He's one of the favorite guys I've met through this whole process, and that's in all honesty. So I'm excited to work with him. I'm as sided to be challenged. I'm excited to learn underneath him.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 4: Dolphin's sixth round draft pick number one ninety eight overall in the twenty twenty three NFL Draft Elijah Higgins, tight end out of Stanford. Next, we're going to go break down the game of the Dolphins seventh round draft pick number two thirty seven overall offensive lineman, offensive tackle, I should say, out of Michigan, Ryan Hayes. That's next, your host, Travis Wingfield, brought to.
Speaker 2: You by Auto Nation.
Speaker 4: Let's pivot now to pick two thirty seven in the twenty twenty three NFL Draft. Offensive tackle out of Michigan, Ryan Hayes is the Dolphins draft pick. And while I don't have the audio of the call or the draft pick for Hayes, I'll go ahead and make sure to retweet that for you guys once we do have it on social so you can find it there. You heard the Elijah Higgins call already. Man, these things are really cool to hear, so I want to make sure I get that to you guys. But watching the tape of Ryan Hayes, the first thing that jumps out at him to me is the temperament that he plays with. There's a mean streak there and he always plays through the echo of the whistle. That Michigan power spread they run certainly is the last of a dying breed in terms of playing a little bit more traditional style of football that asks guys to play with power and through the play, opposed to just playing fast and trying to get back to the lion of scrimmage to line up and go again. You know that hurry up style college offense. To check with me, you're not actually huddling up and getting calls sometimes can discourage finishing because they want you to get back to the line so quickly. There's none of that here on Ryan Hayes's tape. Let's go to the background and the number first before we go back into the tape. And first off, he was a tight end, defensive end, and punter in high school, and he also was an All conference player in that regard, but also in basketball, the player of the year his senior year in his conference, averaging fifteen points per game and ten and a half rebounds per game double double. He also was the pitcher of the year in his conference, striking out one hundred and two batters and fifty nine innings on the bump. His dad was an offensive guard at Central Michigan. His mother was an All American hooper who holds forty three school records. There and the second all time leading score at Central Michigan women's hoops. There we'll hear from him on that just one second. There's a ton of explosiveness and athletic ability here on this player's tape, and by the numbers, he scored at eight point nine on the relative Athletic scorecard. That's good for one hundred and forty third all time out of twelve hundred and ninety four offensive tackles that of course dates back to nineteen eighty seven. He got there with a blazing fast ten split of one one point seven two seconds, and you just see it on the tape. He fires out of his stance and does some of his best work at the second level. You'll hear from him here in a moment. But he talked about his ability to finish blocks and how much pride he takes in that he can get out in space and execute those reach blocks that are so key in this offense with traps and pulling tackles and guards that move out wide and really kind of change the I don't want to call it, you know, the aim point, but you basically reset the line scrimmage. Outside players with this type of athletic ability help you do that, and Ryan Hayes certainly can. Now he's gonna have to either just kind of get a little more sound than his technique and add some stand in the pants in terms of the blocking aspect of his game in pass pro, because there's just a little bit there on tape in terms of some difficulties. But the running game stuff was really good even at that size. But the numbers were really excellent for him in pass protection as well. No sacks allowed last year, just eleven total pressures on three hundred and fifty seven pass blocking snaps.
Speaker 2: Two years.
Speaker 4: Started there at left tackle, he began as a right tackle early in his career. He might kick inside if he adds extra weight, so there is positional flexibility there. I tend to think he's more of a swing tackle option there, a guy that can come off the bench in either spot and play left or right tackle. And speaking of the running game numbers, Blake Korum was a star running back last year for Michigan. Here are his numbers from Pro Football Focus when running off left end or left tackle. Seventy one rush attempts, five hundred and fifty six yards. That's seven point eighty three a pop. Six touchdowns, twenty first downs, and eleven of those runs, you know, one to seventh of those runs went for ten plus yards. According to Pro Football Focus and the Athletics Dan Brugler rights that Korum benefited from Hayes's understanding of angles when sealing the edge, with good pacing on combo blocks, and as a climber to engage defenders at that second level.
Speaker 2: He finishes that.
Speaker 4: Blurb Dan Brugler does by noting that Hayes had only six career penalties on twenty one hundred and fourteen offensive snaps and all of that jives with something Ryan told us still here in a moment here on the press conference that one of his best trace is his intelligence and feel.
Speaker 2: For the game.
Speaker 4: Also, the Michigan offensive line won the Joe Moore Award in back to back years. That's the best offensive line in the nation the two years that Hayes was a starter.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and get into that press conference here with Ryan Hayes, who met with the South Florida media, and the first question for the new Dolphins offensive lineman, what are the Miami Dolphins getting in Ryan Hayes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm a smart player. I know where I'm going at all times. That allows me to know my angles. So I think I play fast, allows me to play extremely a fast and use my athleticism do an advantage. And every play I'm out there, I'm going to finish as hard as I can to the whistle. So you're gonna get a hard working guy that applies.
Speaker 4: Around the field up next here. I thought this was one of the coolest parts of the press conference. He was asked about any guys in the NFL whose tape he likes to study or model his game after, and he mentioned a current Miami Dolphin, a guy that he tell he's a whole bunch, And I have a feeling Ryan Hayes and Toron Armstad going to be attached at the hip come training camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of like to watch the top guys around the league at their position, Guys like Tran Williams, guys like guys like that. But I definitely I've watched a ton of troun Arp said that we had an old coach that used to coach him. Yeah, so we watched a lot of his old film, So it really gonna be awesome getting in that room with him and just learning.
Speaker 4: What do you what do you hask for me?
Speaker 3: Who is the coach?
Speaker 1: And what was his position on the staff?
Speaker 3: I was bratt Ingeles of the Saints.
Speaker 2: Pretty dang good company there.
Speaker 4: Next I asked Ryan about his three sports stardom in high school and how that helped him really just be a better football player.
Speaker 2: Playing multiple sports in high.
Speaker 3: School, Yeah, I mean I always I was competing year round. I think that's what I love to do. I just loved sports growing up, so that kept me busy, kept me doing all kinds of things. And I don't know it, just I think got me prepared for the next level. Switching to O line. Never done that before, but I did so many things already I think I was prepared for so I'm super excited for this next challenge.
Speaker 4: How about playing at a school that produces so many good offensive linemen and has such good coaching on that offensive lineman. How has that helped you prepare for the National Football League, mister Hayes, I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the draft ross has been up and down a lot of grace. I mean, obviously I was trying to take everything in because it's once in a lifetime experience. But from Michigan. I think it prepared me really well for this process. We run a lot of the same schemes. I think that we are being taught and asked to talk about through the process. Obviously we'd be a great coaching there. So I don't think I could have picked a better place to be to get ready for this next step.
Speaker 4: And there you go, just like that, the draft is a wrap. We have one more segment for you all here, Chris Greer, Mike McDaniel, end of Draft press conference. We'll hear from that next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought.
Speaker 2: To you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 4: Let's resume and finish this draft with the post draft press conference of Mike McDaniel and Chris Greer, and the first question was posed for the headball coach down here in Miami. Mike McDaniel was asked about what he likes the most about tied En Elijah Higgins and as coaches wont to do, gave us a great answer here, breaking down in depth not just the player, but who he kind of reminds him of of a guy that he coached in the past.
Speaker 1: First of all, just excited to add the competitor you see through his game tape. He's a guy that strains with the ball in his hands. But for specifically for the tight end position. You know this, that's drafting a guy that plays wide receiver and converting him to tight end. Uh. You know that's I think the first time in my career that that as a part of that was Now is Paul back in two thousand and I want to say eleven out of Nebraska? And for me in my history, he he h, there's some there's a lot of traits that he resembled, uh, in his competitiveness and his size and his strength and and really this day and age, converting receiver to a tight end isn't is abstract as it used to be, only because half the teams are playing spread in two points anyway, even if they're called the tight end, they're playing receiver stuff anyway. So you get kind of used to projecting people to do things like that. We feel very comfortable and confident that he fit the bill for that. So excited to have him.
Speaker 4: And why don't we go over to the GM for his take Chris Career on tackle Ryan Hayes with.
Speaker 6: Him, it's he's played a lot of football, is smart kid, competitive, tough, you know, came to the tight end and converted and worked. So been coached at a good program coach Harbaugh, and have not a great job. So just watching him and then over the years develop and compete and play, and so for us, we were excited to at this point in the draft to add him into our group of guys to come in and compete.
Speaker 4: Hey, I have a question, is everybody out there that was tweeting about tight ends and tackles feel a little bit silly?
Speaker 2: Now? Have we not learned about this by now?
Speaker 4: Last year to Ron Armstead, Oh we need offensive tackle, Oh we need a wide receiver, and they go on, they get to Ron and they wind up getting try to kill. Same thing happened here. We complained about Day two not bringing you the positions you wanted, and now we get tackled and tight end on day number three. So I asked Chris Career, how does Day three compare to Day one or two when it comes to drafting best player available, drafting for need?
Speaker 2: Does that approach change at all? Here's the Dolphins GM.
Speaker 6: I think you know, when you get into the later rounds, it's you're still you're always evaluating your roster and where potential holes could be for even not just for this year, but for the following years. So but for us, it's always still drafting the best player. We went by our board, you know, and the guys we picked today were you know, the best players there for us where we had to rate it for what we were looking for. So at the end of the days, you're always still trying to add the best players because you never know where injuries and stuff will pop up on your roster from year to year.
Speaker 4: So personally speaking, here, I just love what coach McDaniel has brought to this building for so many things. One of the things I love the most about him is that I feel like he's brought more of Chris Career's personality out of the GM here for the Miami Dolphins. And this is a question and answer that was posed him about what's your message to you know, the udfas out there that this would be a great place to sign and Chris basically just said, like check the tape, Son.
Speaker 6: You know, I think with us, I think people of people people have seen kind of you know, what's transpired here over the last year, and you know, it speaks for the players that have wanted to come here, you know, talked about it. And from no recruiting or anything on our end, we're just you know, kind of how we've approached business. But I think our players, the ones that have been in the building have you know, talked about how they really like how Mike and the staff approach you know, building the culture here and then from Steve and Tom support allowing us to do the things here that we do that you know, South Florida is a great place to be, you know, great fan base, and you know, we're trying to build the best team we can to win games. And I think people see and players see that, you know, we're trying to win and doing things to win. So it's an exciting time for us, but we know a lot of work to be done still.
Speaker 4: Coach McDaniel had more to say about that. Let's go to coaching.
Speaker 1: And on top of it, I think it's one of the reasons it's so important that you create competitive opportunities for players to play. One thing that's very important to Chris and I is that we're a place where the best players play, and you know that's that's something I think that's a draft or for players as well as we will just give them an opportunity to compete. And that's really what all these guys want. You know, they're sitting through the draft watching so many people get taken over them, and you know that really you just said, you know what, I'm good enough to play in the league. I just need an opportunity. We'll provide that.
Speaker 4: Last year, I asked Coach on this very day what he learned from Chris Greer and his first ever experience in the draft as a head coach, and he gave me, you know, a classic coach McDaniel answer that he crushes sushi and cherry pepsi, which I thought was pretty pretty great. And then he talked more about what he actually learned about being around Chris Greer. And I wasn't gonna I wanted to ask him this, but somebody else actually asked it before I could, and so I wonder if I would have got a different answer here. But here he gave you a completely serious answer about Chris Grear what he learned being around him. And then we'll go to Chris Greer as well, that same question about what he learned about being around Mike McDaniel during another draft process.
Speaker 1: I mean, you learned so if you just open your eyes and ears, you learned so much about people every day. He's a he's very patient and tolerable of my personality. I've learned that four picks. The interesting thing about that is you're very aware that you have a small opportunity to make your team better. But it's a it's a very it's a very real opt opportunity. So you don't want, you don't ever want to squander a draft pick. But the less you have to focus on, the less amount of draft picks, you know, you have more attention on them, so on those parts of the draft, and and you know, really what can you get out of it? So I think at this point we probably know everything about each other except for you know, how how sweating my palm's going to get if we have a first round draft pick. We don't know that yet, but that won't be that nervous.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that, you know, the communication part of it, you know, between the coaching staff the scouts has been really good. And I think if you asked everyone in the building, there's a lot of a lot of work goes into drafts. As you know, it's never one man show, too man, it's it's a lot of people helping, a lot of information done, and so I just think the environment of allowing everyone to have a voice in the process and really allowing people to have a say and really be free to speak on stuff has been really, really fun, and so it's been a really good process. So I think guys have really enjoyed it and we felt we've had a good outcome.
Speaker 4: One thing I'd never really understood with the journalism side of this whole deal is like the questions that.
Speaker 2: You quote unquote have to ask to me.
Speaker 4: If I'm not going to give you an answer, which you know they won't on this one, you don't have to ask it. But I wasn't trigged by the answer because you wind up getting more from coach McDaniel in terms of, you know, talking about the importance of having multiple defensive backs that you can you know, filter in and out and you know, basically take care of the attrition issue that we had last year, but also the frequency of how many times you use five plus defensive backs in the NFL and specifically in coach Fangio's system. So he was asked, is there are potential you might move Jalen Ramsey to the safety position. Here's coach and Chris on that question.
Speaker 1: No, only because uh, when you're he's really good at corner and so I try not to mess really good up. But now there's there's been uh the cool thing about the defensive backfield in general. You know, I think I think Vick has hit us on the side one hundred times, but you know, five dvs on the field it happens, you know, almost three quarters of the time in the National Football League now, so there are uh, you know, in in Vick's defense, in his system, if you understand it, there's there's a lot of different ways you can get on the field. There's some position versatility that if you go back to his history, you know there's there's been various people to play different spots that that has been in discussion, but not with Jalen Ramsey. I'd say he's a I think he's a good corner.
Speaker 6: It's not bad.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, that is all, folks. That is your twenty twenty three Miami Dolphins draft class. We will have more coverage for you guys on this, including rookie Mini camp. How these guys play in OTAs. We'll have i'm sure extended interviews with these guys in the UDAFA class. We'll also have Emory Hunt on at some point to wrap up the UDFA class.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's it for draft picks.
Speaker 4: The total of that Miami Dolphins picks was less than the number of cappuccinos I had the last two days, So that's a good number there to end the podcast on. Like I said, we'll come back next week and have more content for you all.
Speaker 2: No show on Monday.
Speaker 4: I think I'll come back on Tuesday with another podcast here breaking down some more stuff for y'all.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, that is going to be my time.
Speaker 4: You all, please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Leave us a rating, and leave us a review.
Speaker 4: You can follow me on Twitter at Wingfield NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the Fish Tap with my guys Seth and Jews, check out the team YouTube channel for Dolphins Today and media availabilities, and last but not.
Speaker 2: Least, Miami Dolphins dot com.
Speaker 4: Until next time finds up Caroline Cameron, Daddy's Coming Home.