Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Daybreak Asia Podcast. I'm Doug Chrisner. It's proving to be a mixed day for equities across the Asia Pacific. In the US session, stocks drifted lower in front of a report on consumer prices, and American markets also had to contend with a push higher in the price of oil given the lack of a deal to restore energy flows through the strait of horror moves. Needless to say, higher oil prices have renewed concern about escalating inflation, and that's where we begin our conversation with Tea Chow, Managing director at UBS. She spoke with Bloomberg TV host Sherry On and Heidi Stroud Watts on the Asia trade as.
Speaker 1: Usual, There's a lot of cross currents going on for investors. How big is this inflation print in terms of broader sentiment going forward for you?
Speaker 3: I think we're just not concerned with the inflation at this point.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're still pretty focused on the overall market and the strength of the economy. So I mean, even even with inflation where it is, I mean, the FED is uh.
Speaker 3: Is still on hold and the progress and.
Speaker 4: The hopefully the US I RAN negotiations and uh AI growth.
Speaker 3: We feel like the.
Speaker 4: Economy is still going to be pretty much intact and uh and we're positive and very optimistic uh towards equities even though it might be bumpy, but UH still we have a pretty good price UH target for the s MP reaching about eighty two hundred. So I think, uh, you know, investors should still continue to stay invested. Uh and and hopefully you know, the AI and and the strength of the markets will continue uh to help push equities higher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell us about how you're viewing the constructs of the AI. The hyper scale is uh some of the developments that we've said in that space, particularly in the US, because there's been ongoing concern about obviously the amount of infrastructure investment capex levels, but then we're also seeing you know, the rotation of huge amounts of funds in these circular funding arrangements.
Speaker 3: Right absolutely. I mean, I think, you know, lots of concerns.
Speaker 4: Well, we were reinconstructive on the AI story, but we investors will you know, manage the concentration, and we're hoping that investors can start to manage some of the concentration by just diversifying out of you know, complete AI staffs, but maybe into other sectors like healthcare, industrials, financials. Even though we feel like AI is still going to push the growth for the next probably five ten years, but there's still a lot of room for investing in other defensive sectors as well.
Speaker 1: One of the non US markets you like, is China. Tell us about what you're funding compelling within Chinese equities at the moment. Is it that AI play on the basis of the gap that is being very quickly closed?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I mean Chinese equities.
Speaker 4: I mean, we think China's you know, has a lot of room for growth in terms of the tech equities. But you know, outside of China, you know, we want to focus on you.
Speaker 3: Know, India, Japan, uh Europe.
Speaker 4: Those are also a lot of good valuations in some of those markets. So I think, of course China is going to drive a lot of the growth just because we're located and because all the investments they.
Speaker 3: Are also making an AI, I think.
Speaker 4: It's probably worthwhile to stay with with some of the Chinese larger tech names, but also diversify among surrounding countries. I mean South Korea was also a big you know, a big winner in the in the last few months.
Speaker 3: But I mean we're currently.
Speaker 4: Neutral and we are now more attractive on India, So I think China, India, some of the surrounding country are also a good place in this market, especially with the AI growth.
Speaker 1: When it comes to developments on the ceasefire or an ultimate piece deal or at least, you know, a specific deal to re open the state of hor moves, is that meaningful for markets at the moment? Do you see any kind of big change that could could come through.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think negotiations are improving and we do absolutely hope for a kind of resolution, but we feel like eventual agreement with Iran I mean will likely keep pressure on oil by allowing more supply to reach global markets. I mean it's going to take some time, so I mean this can definitely support gold by easing inflation concerns and reducing the risk for further central bank tightening.
Speaker 3: So I mean there's going to be some.
Speaker 4: Impact, but I think eventually there will be a resolution, but it's it's still going to be a kind of a bump you rode ahead to get there.
Speaker 1: What do you lack within bonds at the moment.
Speaker 3: Well, we like a lot about bonds.
Speaker 4: I mean, we think this is a great time to lock in eels, especially with US corporate bonds five to seven years. We prefer high quality also emerging markets. But I think you know where races are right now, this is a really good time to uh to to diversify your portfolio within bonds and focus on the high quality corporate corporate bonds.
Speaker 1: We talked a little bit about the sort of broader opportunities within China. I know that India is one of them. Are you constructive on broader ams as a result, Yes.
Speaker 3: Emerging markets absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean, we think EAM has had a good run this year, but a lot of that is volatile as well, is depending a lot on China, especially on China, so we really have to see a stronger recovery in China's economy.
Speaker 3: And I think, uh, you know, Ian is usually.
Speaker 4: Em emerging markets usually as a smaller allocation for US, uh you know, Like, I think it's good to be be be participating, but we're still focusing more on.
Speaker 3: Just a core US portfolio at this point.
Speaker 4: And some of the larger developing markets such as China and Europe and Germany and the your Eurozone.
Speaker 1: Overall, career has of course been front and center. You've downgraded from attractive to neutral. Is that over the froth over the AI trade for you?
Speaker 4: Uh? No, I mean that's that's actually a really good point. I mean, I mean, career has certainly done very well with the memory companies and just you know, but but that a lot of that has run up pretty high in a short time.
Speaker 3: And you know, we have a lot of clients are always favorable.
Speaker 4: On the semi SAMESE and equipment's and founderies, but we feel like, you know, focusing if you want to diversify among the summes, focusing on some of the compute names within sames and there's a lot of opportunities that we see in smartphonemakers, payment networks, data centers, reads and.
Speaker 3: Also some select consumer electronics. So a lot of that. You know, it's still it's still a good play.
Speaker 4: For some of the Korean companies, but you know, just just to diversify out on.
Speaker 3: Pure simes, I mean, these are some of the opportunitiesy.
Speaker 2: How we see that was See Chow, managing director at UBS, speaking with Bloomberg TV host Heidi Stroud Watts and Sherry On. Coming up, we'll take a look at the end story with Bloomberg News macro strategist Michael Ball. That's ahead on the Daybreak Asia podcast. Welcome back to the Daybreak Asia Podcast. I'm Doug Chrisner. The focus now is on the foreign exchange and the Japanese hen in particular. We've seen some renewed selling pressure as the market looks for a return to that one sixty level against the US dollar. Now In New York trading on Tuesday, the end was little changed, but it remains clear that there is concern about possible intervention. Again. We already know that US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessen has said the US is willing to support the Japanese currency, and many on Wall Street have speculated that part of his motivation is to keep Japanese authorities from selling US treasuries as a way of raising dollars. For a closer look, I spoke with Bloomberg News macro strategist Michael Ball. It was pretty surprising move, but everyone had been kind of anticipating this, given the fact that the end had been so weak for such a long time. It almost felt like the market was waiting for the monetary authority in Japan to act unilaterally, but they didn't. It was a coordinated effort first time since ninety eight. The market obviously was caught a little flat footed. Was it a watershed moment? Do you think that it's send a kind of an important signaled that maybe has the market a bit in check right now or do you think we're making too much of it.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think we're making too much of it. I think again we've crept up back to this one sixtieth area. We're a little bit below it now today, and again that seems to be the line in the sand that the market has in mind for That's where coordinated intervention, both the Treasury and them off and the BOJ together all have to basically signal that this is where we're going to defend until we get to September or potentially October, where you could see rate hikes from the BOJ to again give a more fundamental story why the yen should appreciate and to change this feedback loop. It's just a negative feedback loop of weaker yen be getting weaker yen because of positioning.
Speaker 2: So from the US position is Treasury Secretary Bestent looking more at what's happening in the US treasury market than he is the currency market, and he's concerned that we may see a backup in US heields.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think that's the primary goal here, and I think he's signaled that in several ways. One obviously for his worry that the intervention and will not only be the selling of bills, which has been up to date now how they've done it, but more on actually the long end. So again, if they didn't have access, let's say, to the THEMA kind of facility as a backstop, or they didn't have access to the international repel market or even the repo facilities the other ones that are available at the FED, then they would have to sell longer end treasuries what are the tens or thirties, and the curve, which has already been under pressure since July FMC would come under further pressure and that would actually force the hands.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned FEMA, just to unpack that a little bit, this is a vehicle that it was essentially allowed Japan to borrow dollars to post US treasuries essentially as a form of collateral. So they wouldn't be net sellers of US treasuries to dump that inventory into the market and run the risk of pushing US yields even higher, right exactly.
Speaker 5: And there is a limit to that amount. I think it's around sixty billion, which in its sense is a little bit small for what is needed. Because let's keep in mind the initial intervention that happened last week saw about eighty billion dollars of bill selling buy them off to actually support an buy yen. So this one itself is you know, more of a backstop. It hasn't been used yet because it's more expensive. It's about twenty five basis points over what a normal repo rate would be to do something like this, but in its signaling effect it's much larger because again what we may see from best in with you know, the new FED leader Kevin Warsh is to lift the limit there, which then would be a much bigger signaling effect. And overall, with all the other tools that they have at their expo that their can use, the Japanese then could just have this as well as a backstop.
Speaker 2: So take me back to the currency market. What this means for not only the dollar, but the Japanese yanic gas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, And again there's other things going on in Japan that is making us worry that they'll be selling treasury holdings. And as they sell treasury holdings, obviously then they weaken sort of the dollars. They bring money back into the end. But specific to what this intervention was about, again, it was to initially stop official account selling of the treasury market. And what it really means for the dollars, you know, for that cross itself, it would weaken the dollar against the end and effectually put more pressure even on long end real rates, which is counterintuitive because the rate differential story would be off there. But then it's a capital flow account thing. Or basically you're just seeing selling of dollar assets by Japanese holders.
Speaker 2: So we know what the disinflation or deflation story in Japan has been like for three decades, and we know that the boj these days has been very very conservative, moving very gradually. You could make a case, given the level of inflation now in Japan that the BOG needs to be a little bit more aggressive. That's not happening. Is there the risk though, that if they begin to lean into more of a tightening that we could see a repatriation of Japanese assets leaving global markets like the US and coming back to Japan.
Speaker 5: Well, it might actually be the interesting I think you actually nailed on the head. I think they took so long for them to get inflation to kind of get going again, and it has gotten going again. Obviously they have more energy sensitivity and we know what's going on there. But it took them so long to get rates off the zirup and get them off the floor and get it inflation back in grain and sort of the day to day consumer that they're very worried that if they sort of even tighten a little bit, they're going to lose that progress. But to your point, if they do tighten, if they come out and say September and they issue maybe a statement that's more hawkish and expecting in october's getting priced up again, because right now September is about two third price for a hike, and if they don't go, then the expectation to be one hundred percent for October. But let's say they just do back to back, you would see that curve flattened, so you'd see the long end of the treasury curve, their treasury curve over there, come off and get a rally, and that actually would give you less incentive to repatriate back into the Japanese assets, effectively into their bonds, because one liquidity is not great there. Two then you're just your rate differential story is not as compelling anymore because by hiking in the front end, they're effectively showing that they have more responsibility towards the back end as far as monetary policy.
Speaker 2: So what's your sense in terms of yend weakness, is the worst over at least in the near term.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's a great question. I think a lot of that has to do maybe with energy as well. Obviously they have some sort of well not some sort of they have a higher correlation here with oil prices. Oil where it is is now in the rate to change their state stable, then it's less of a pressure on them there. I think you're right. I think in a lot of ways. Well, not that you're right, but what you're hinting at is that the worst could be over if we see this coordinated intervention lead to basically hold a period of time before you see actual rate hikes.
Speaker 2: To what extent could the market be surprised right now, is the trade so crowded that we risk maybe a kind of a not I don't want to say violent adjustment, but something that could be dramatic.
Speaker 5: So the trades come off. To your point, I think, well, a lot of that was last week was that people were caught off sides by the coordination and now obviously the size it was a somewhat large imprint they had in the market, and people were basically still leaning very short end and that's cleaned up nicely. We get to see FTC data. That's one way to look at it. But also we're hearing sort of from flow traders that a lot of that has come off and it's a much flatter position. People are more nervous. Now there's two sided risks to where the end can go. And again this one to sixty level is sort of the pivot where if we drift above one sixty, I think people will be mourned and powered to short it. Traders will think that the intervention a one off and they're not really disciplined or committed to it. And if it goes lower then the feedback loop actually people will probably try and rush into it to get ahead of maybe a more structural change, which will again be real rate hikes coming down the road.
Speaker 2: Do you think I'm going to bring up trade policy, because sometimes currency levels are very influential in that regard. Is this meaningful in the way they could influence the trade conversation?
Speaker 5: Do you think, Well, we know Bess was hounding Taiwan and obviously pressuring some of the other sort of Asian export powers to basically strengthen their currency, So I think that's always lurking in the back. We have a different relationship with Japan, so I can't really give you a great answer there. That's always a consideration, but I don't think it's the driving force here. I think the driving force, as we kind of basically hit on the head, is Besson's worried about a lot of pressure on the long end of the treasury curve, and he sees this as one of many tactics he's using, including the recent announcement of refunding and all that, to stick still with heavier bill issuants to basically take pressure off further sort of selling and supply in the back end, and not to have that unhinged.
Speaker 2: Michael will leave it there, thank you so very much. Bloomberg News macro strategist Michael Ball joining us here on the Daybreak Asia Podcast. Thanks for listening to today's episode of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Edition podcast. Each weekday, we look at the story shaping markets, finance, and geopolitics in the Asia Pacific. You can find us on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube channel, or anywhere else you listen. Join us again tomorrow for insight on the market moves from Hong Kong to Singapore and Australia. I'm Doug Prisner, and this is Bloomberg