Speaker 1: Kutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow, it's the clearinghouse of hot takes. Break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller and Danny G Radio a happy college football Saturday in a wonderful It's also a Benny Versus the Penny kind of a day to day as well. If you have not watched Benny Versus the Penny yet on YouTube, check that out. It's YouTube dot com slash at Bennyvspenny. But it's all about this podcast right now and Danny G is hanging out with me as we celebrate National Peanut Day today, So please celebrate appropriately today September thirteenth. We know what you like to do with nuts. I rotate nuts. I don't know what you're talking about. There's great protein and fiber in peanuts and they're not actually nuts, right, they're not actually nuts. They're not in the what are they the goomes? Is that what they are? They're not They're not nuts, right, nuts are like all men's walnuts, that's nuts. These are just something else. But anyway, it is National Peanut Day today on this podcast, we've got Rod Serling hit the showers and the bed and breakfast returns, So a lot to get to and then we'll all go our separate ways and I guess we'll watch college football. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, lay on the couch and scratch our privates.
Speaker 1: Yes, No, this is a big day, Danny, because not only we have college football today and it's not an amazing day of college football. That's okay. We got to wait a little longer for the really good matchups in college football. There's a couple of games that caught my attention. But then we got a boxing match tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Canelo Crawford, Yeah, in Vegas. So I'm looking forward to that. I'm actually gonna have a friend over. We're gonna have a little uh prop no gambling for we wronged to gamble on a fight, Dan. You should never gamble on a fight a Netflix, right, so everybody gets a chance to see it.
Speaker 1: Yes, not your usual I believe you're Craig. Not your usual nonsense. I'm austrailing. What game am I most excited to watch today in? I mean, I guess Georgia, Tennessee would probably be it, right, that's what is that? Twelve thirty our time, three thirty in the East. I think that's it. Oh in the South Florida, Miami. I don't live in Florida, but that's not.
Speaker 3: A bad matchup. Yeah, So the top twenty five team LSU game is going to be fun. And on Covino and Rich's show Friday, we talked about that sixty six year old tuba player.
Speaker 1: Uh huh did you see that guy? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Pretty cool, the oldest person that's not dead almost on the band there in the middle of the field. This guy is gonna be in a motorized scooter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well why not? What the hell? And then and then later on I Notre Name, I don't know, that's Notre Name is playing Texas A and M. I I might if I'm still around by that point, if I'm not passed out by then, I got to take a nap before the boxing thing, so I might have to. I acsually don't take naps, but anyway, listen, let's get to it. So I had one of those moments this past week, Danny, that I the kind of thing that makes you wonder if you've officially crossed over into old man territory, like yelling at the clouds type that portion of your life the chapter or talking about naps. Yeah, exactly, I don't normally nap, but the show. Let me just paint the picture for you as you consume this podcast. So the show was wrapped, I was sitting in the remote studio at the Malor Mansion, sending out some show notes, trying to get myself together, and then I reached to my left, my left hand side, and I reached over to grab my phone. And then I was going to walk out of the remote studio. So I reached over to grab my phone and I didn't feel it, and I was like, well, that's kind of weird. I know I left it there. I have one hundred percent left it there and so and then I said, well, maybe it dropped, but it wasn't there. So I checked on the floor, I checked everywhere else on the desk, I moved some papers. There's some Kleenex box here on the desk. I moved that around and I could not find it. It was gone. It was a Houdini. It advanished. Now keep in mind, though, the part of this story which was amazing to me, is that I have I'm not bragging. My wife got me an Apple Watch. So I have an Apple Watch, which is supposed to be Danny idiot proof. You should never ever lose your phone when you have an Apple Watch, because you press the magic button and then your phone will start beeping, even if it's on silent mode, your phone will start beeping like a submarine sonar. Then just go to it. It's it's wonderful, it's I have. I haven't ever lost my phone since I got this watch. It's great. It's full. It's full. Oh, it was just you took the words out of my mouth. That's it's fool proof. You you know what I'm talking about, Danny. It's perfect. So uh so it's fool proof except when it is it. So yeah, I thought, i I'm like, left hand side. I grabbed one there and so then I'm moving stuff around, futson around, couldn't find it. So it's like, all right, whatever, and so so then I pressed the button on the watch. I'm like, all right, well listen, I'll beep and i'll get it in two seconds. And then it said something I'd never seen before in the watch. It said feature not available. So I pressed it again because surely this was like a cosmic typo type thing and it must be a mistake. So the same thing. So then I did a third time, because I think that's the rule of comedy, right, you have to do things three times. Everything goes in threes, three stooges or whatever. So I press it again and the dame watch is the feature not available. So I'm like, oh man, it's like maybe my battery on my phone died and I thought it was charged, but maybe it wasn't charged. Then I'll go on this, I'll go around and I'll find it. And I was trying to like retrace my steps, and I was like, where have I hadn't been that many places and I knew I had the phone. So and then at some point, like panics start setting in, Like I go on this scavenger hunt through the through the Malor mansion like a lunatic, and I'm going through every room, every nook and cranny, and I am now convinced that I've entered the twilight zone. Like Rod Serling was going to pop out Danny behind the laundry basket with a cigarette and explain to me. The Malard phone slipped into another dimension of time and space, the same dimension like you know, your socks go when you lose your sock, like that kind of thing, and so so where and so. Then thirty minutes later or so, I was totally defeated by this point, so I'd given up, and I was like, all right, crap, it's gonna have to get a new phone. It's gonna cost me, like, you know, eight hundred bucks or whatever. His phones are ridiculous. So I was like, all right, I'll go to the I went to the fridge to get some water, and I put the cup in to grab the water things on the inside of the fridge. So I put the water thing in the cup to get the water, and I'm getting the water, and then I look in the fridge and then eureka, there it is. My phone was sitting between like a can of Seltzer and a bag of garlic. What the hell? Yeah, yeah, So the phone was perfectly comfortable chilling, like it belonged there, Like it was like something I bought at the grocery store. And I realized, like I in a hurry, you know, doing the remote show. I'm running around, and I went to get some water, and I guess I had I needed my hand, and I put my I somehow put the phone in the fridge, and then I was in such a hurry I just ran up to you know, to the studio to do the show, and then I forgot about it. And the amazing part of the story, though, Danny, is that this thing works fine. It's it's and it didn't work right away, like it was literally I had to let it warm up a little bit, but it didn't really have the sniffles or and I it warmed up and it carried on like nothing had happened. I was amazed.
Speaker 3: Much better than accidentally setting it down inside a fireplace.
Speaker 1: I know. No if I I was thinking to same thing, if I have like baking cookies and you know Bandy Crocker and I put some cookies in as let me just put this thing down like on the top of the stove. Yeah, I forget they would be gone. So the the other question is What does this mean? Right? What does this mean? I guess I'm old, I'm a klutz, I'm a distracted and income poop like, I'm all of that. I guess all of the above. And so anyway, listen. Technology is supposed to save us from ourselves. But no amount of Apple innovation, the IWA Apple Watch and all that stuff can prevent you from from somehow forgetting to put your phone in the fridge. The other thing about that, I learned that your phone will not work if it's in the fridge is so thick and powerful, Danny, that the signal does not reach your it does not go through the doors of the refrigerator. So I did learn that from this.
Speaker 3: Little Yeah exeren, Wow, your fridge is like Fort Knox. I guess it is.
Speaker 1: And so tomorrow I guess it's the car keys will be in the dishwasher or something like that. Maybe I'll do that today. I have that to look forward to. So we'll move on with that. But that was my run in with Rod Serling. You ever have that happen, Danny, where you think you're in a like a twilight zone, or you think there's some kind of other dimension that crossed over and grab some of your stuff and moved it, and you're like, I didn't do that. As like that.
Speaker 3: Now, once in a while, I'll put my phone down in a hurry to pick CoA up, or there's something going on at the house where I have bags of groceries or something like that, and then I go back to the spot where I know I set it down, and it's not there. And I think we get confused in our own minds because because it's the spot where I put it the last time I set my phone down. So we're like a step behind ourselves sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I used to lose. I used to lose like a for why I would lose stuff all the time. And so I have been a creature of habit. I've learned to put stuff. I put the keys back in the same spot, I put my wallet in the same spot when I come into the house, I put the phone in the same place. And so yeah, but this was obviously I had I had a brain fart, and it it vanished wherever it ended up. I don't know. I guess it was time for me to hit the showers, Danny. It was time for me to go go hit the shower.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you shower by yourself? I know it's a personal question.
Speaker 1: Generally that is a one person operation. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Have you ever pulled the move where you told a girl, Hey, you know what, let's save water and let's shower together.
Speaker 1: Well, that's usually something that would happen very early in a relationship, Danny the Yeah, it may or may not have happened back, but not to save water. I think for other reasons. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Water. So Thursday evening, we are sitting around the dinner table, Brenda revealed something which I thought was very interesting. Now I know our listeners love the story back in the day about how she got the hot stone treatment upper butt crack during that massage.
Speaker 1: That is a fan favorite. Danny, Yeah, love that podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I'm still finding out things about her and her body. Oh, we got wings from Costco, which is something a little different. We don't normally like put wings in our oven, and they came out pretty good. Costco wings aren't bad.
Speaker 1: So these are the pre made in the deli wings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah, pretty good. So we we had wings in football on Thursday night. So as we're watching the Packers on fire, she mentioned something about saving water with showering because our fourteen year old went up to shower. She doesn't care about the football game. And Brenda's said, you know what, I used to shower with my girlfriends.
Speaker 1: Hi, And I said, oh, wait a minute, this changes things?
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, yeah, I said, come again, what was that? How old were you, guys? I don't know, sixth seventh eighth grade. Maybe this is just a huge difference between men and women because us men when we were kids, we didn't take showers obviously with our friends. But is this Is this a normal thing that some girls did. I don't know. I'm going to have to do a survey and find out. But she went on to explain to me on the street and ask women, did you no, no, no, no, I'm gonna do it on Twitter through this show, okay, but it caught my attention obviously, and I'm like, wait a second, sixth seventh eighth grade. That's way too old. And she started to blush and realized that she set it out loud, and I guess she never thought about it, that maybe it would sound strange to other people. But she went on to explain to me that what would happen is her and her two friends all the way through eighth grade. When they would hang out together, they would be dancing or riding their bikes around the neighborhood or you know, doing what kids do, even middle school kids. And then they would come back to their friend's house and they would all jump in the shower together. And she said that they would wash each other's hair, they would wash each other's backs. I'm looking at her, and she must have saw the look, obviously saw the look on my face of surprise, and she's like, well, well, maybe it was a little weird because we did have pubic hair and boobs.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a direct quote from her now. And I did tell her that I was going to quote her on the Fifth Hour podcast, and she just laughed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I maybe you'd get away sixth grade, but like, like seventh, I.
Speaker 3: Think no, even with siblings. My mom used to throw me and my older brother in the bathtub together with kids, right, yeah, I mean that didn't last past third grade. Yeah, that's just odd.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: She then explained that, and I don't know why she had to throw this in there. One of the two friends was older than them, and she's like, and she had pretty big.
Speaker 1: Boobs, that I saw her boob. Wow, so she was in wait years older, Yeah, they were.
Speaker 3: So when they were Yeah, so she was in high school when they were in middle school.
Speaker 1: And they're all in the shower together.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's uh, it's like those old movies used to watch back in the day, Nanny, I think back, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is like a skinemax. Well I mean for well, not that age, but not that age older older characters, but maybe in the same scenario. Yeah, yeah, similar scenario. But wow, yeah, you are Kelly perverts. If you're listening, turn the podcast off and go find Jesus.
Speaker 1: Was that to say water or they just wanted to make sure their bash were really clean?
Speaker 3: She said, Oh, we just thought it was fun and we were saving water. And unless there is a huge amount of water pressure. You know when people joke about this all the time that oh it sounds so sexy and cool to like shower with your girl or take a girl into a shower, But one of you winds up cold, one of you winds up without the water really being on you. So unless the water is super hot and it turns into a sauna like atmosphere, imagine three people though, like two of those three are cold in the shower.
Speaker 1: And it's also like, I'm thinking, this is just like your normal standard shower. It's not a large walking shower, right, showers with a tub.
Speaker 3: And she said this was very normal for them, that when they would hang out, you know, in the summer or whenever it was hot outside, and this was the normal thing for them to do. This was just a regular like it was okay. And I said, well, that's weird our fourteen year old. Would you be okay if she had girlfriends over and they were all showering together? And Brenda said, yeah, I wouldn't think anything was strange about it.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, I don't know. Hey, I guess it depends how you were, how you were raised. Why did they stop doing Do you ask her, like, why did you stop doing it when you just keep going?
Speaker 3: Well, if one of the girls was a year or two older, I think she said the girl was maybe like one year older. I'm sure that girl had a boyfriend by the time they were still you know, in middle school and in the shower, and that's just come on, man, You're at the age where you're in high school and you have a boyfriend and you're hopping in a shower.
Speaker 1: With two other kids. No, that's what do you do about?
Speaker 3: Like I said, is this just a thing where it's more normal for girls to, you know, not be weird about something like that. But as guys, we didn't even like the locker room showers at school.
Speaker 1: I hated that. Hated lock we all do. I was gonna bring that up and I played football. I got all sweaty. I would wait till I got home to take a shower if I as much as I could, because it was like a nightmare situation there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, maybe that's something they didn't have to worry about that us guys did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess. So there you go. It's that feminine thing, Danny. They just different than us.
Speaker 3: They're not like for the past two days now, I've just been teasing or NonStop about it.
Speaker 1: Leave me alone. Yeah that's worthy of teasing. Yeah, that's that's definitely worthy of teething teasing. So, uh, the the malar Bet Bread and Breakfast, Dan, I know you're rey concerned about my my weekends and things that were not to doing with the RADI show. So the Mallard Bed and Breakfast was open for business. Again this past weekend. Now, it was not opened by design, It's never really opened by design. There's no ad like, we don't take an ad out on Triple A's website or Yelp. There's no YELP page saying hey, maybe stay here. You know it's a it's a you know it's an airbnb whatever. No, we don't do that, and uh, we don't don't talk about the thread count on the sheets. But this was family yet again, Danny, I get hornswaggle by family. So a relative out of state wanted to take their kid to Disneyland, and rather than spend hundreds of dollars at a hotel with one of those Mickey Mouse shaped pools where Donald Duck walks around and Goofy says hello, they chose the Malor Mansion. Now, depending on one's perspective on this, it's either a boutique luxury stay or a hostel with really poor amenities. Right, So, now again people think I don't love family. I love family, I really do. I have to. I have to say that apparently every time we do this podcast, Danny like a mantra, So cause some of you, like you don't really like your family. The way you were taking. No, I do, I do. I'm not Hannibal Lecter. I'm not. I'm gonna you know, that's not how obrate. But uh, I don't see them much. As I've talked about over the years, They've scattered all across the continental of the United States, like it's essentially like Starbucks. My family, they're all over the place. I got relatives in. I mean, I'm thinking abou how many states I know people that are I grew up with that were cousins or aunts, uncles, well not really aunts uncles they're kind of gone now, but cousins and my brothers and all that. So I've got every time zone covered except the Hawaii Alaska area that is not covered. But everything else I've got from the East Coast to the Central time zone to the Mountain time zone. I have a cousin in Denver, and then now we've got obviously the West Coast completely covered as well. So it's like I'm running a pilot program for Amtrak's relatives everywhere across America. Like there I think they still have that. Maybe they don't anyway. So my wife, God bless her, she did not tell me stories about showering with her friends in junior high school, Danny. But she did decide she wanted to be the hostess with the mostess again. So she rolled out the red carpet and if she could find a way to give you a mint on the pillow at at Turndown service, she would do it. I mean the whole thing. She treats our home as your home like a literal statement. Now my position is like different. My position is I treat that like a legal disclaimer. Were subject to restrictions CD fine print and all that stuff. So my cousin, who I will not name, not that they listen to this podcast. They don't listen to this podcast. But my cousin named John Doe, shall we say John Doe, So stayed a few days, not that long. Now, part of it was perfectly fine. I only saw them one time because their schedule was a daytime schedule. I'm on the opposite end. I'm the nocturnal person. I'm called the nocturnal colonel. So they were up early, gone to different amusement parks around southern California, and to get out early to beat the traff well actually sit in traffic. And so from that perspective. They were perfect house guests in that sense. But here's the rough. So they they ate, they drank, and they were being merry. And they didn't just do that a little bit. They didn't just like nibble like a little mouse on a granola. They devoured groceries like contestants on a reality show. If they would make a show called Extreme Pantry Makeover or something like that, Well, let's go over to Maler's house, you know, let's help him clear out his pantry so it can buy some new stuff. And now, I don't drink coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker. I've never had coffee. I plan on not ever having coffee. But my wife loves coffee, and they drained her beloved coffee supply, which to her is not really a beverage. It's a sacrament, the power of the coffee. It's a religious type thing. So and this is what absolutely kills me. Like and this is just how I'm wired. And you know this a little bit Danny, But for me, when I go to someone else's house, I don't like to touch anything. I'm afraid to even use the toilet when I go to someone's house because it would if I break something. What if the toilet clogs up or something like that. What if I cause the water bill to go up and then they're upset with me and they can't pay their water bill and then they have to they lose the house or something. And if I ever do eat something, I'm not saying I don't eat something when I go to someone else's house, because I obviously do. Let's as you go somewhere, people offer you.
Speaker 3: Food, not Indian food. Remember the scene from Along Came Pally with Ben Stiller.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, no, I do not. I do not eat it. Yes, correct, I do not eat the lofa. Come God, I beg you please, if you make this water go down, I will sit at your feet and I will serve you for atriunity. Yeah that's uh. Yeah, so I'll but if I if I eat somebody, I'll immediately if I'm staying at someone's house, like, I don't really like doing this, but sometimes I'll end up saying in a relative's house and I'll like go out and replace it. I go to Target, to the grocery store, Target, I'll buy something here. I hate that, you know. To me, that's kind of the unwritten social code the contract right now. Again, that's just me. Like these relatives, let's just say, Danny, they were they were not playing by the same playbook, the rule book. So you know, what did I do, Danny? What did I do?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: Do you think I confront of them and say, what are you doing? What the f are you doing? This is you're eating all of our food, You're drinking my wife's coffee. No, no, you're too nice. You didn't do that. Do I call them up and say, hey, next time, maybe buy your own bagels or whatever? You know? Of course I did not do that, Danny, because that would cause awkwardness that may lead to World War three, because then this person will deputize members of the family against me, and if we ever get together, they'll be like, oh, you're the person that yeld him for drinking the coffee or her whatever. So instead, what I have chosen to do here, and I think it's the right decision. Instead, I have turned to the safest therapist. I know this microphone, Danny, and you are you're my shrink. You're listening, and you listening to this podcast as I rant, it is much cheaper than an actual professional shrink. And I don't have to leave my my home. I'm in the remote studio. I can just sit here and I can see my phone. And again, this is not about food. I can afford food. It's about I can afford replacing the coffee. To me, it's just about boundaries. It's about expectation, it's about this is this delicate little I don't know. It's a balancing act when you're hosting someone, which I don't love doing. But when you're hosting someone and you know, like the person's like you treat them, you're not supposed to treat them like the other you're if you're the host, the person staying there should not treat you like you're you're the chef, the concierge, the maynard d you know what I'm saying, Like you're just you're there and that's it. And so it's you're not staying at the four seasons. It's it's someone's home, it's not the four season. But mostly I guess it's just I'm I'm a curmudgeon when it comes to this kind of stuff, and I admit it. I admit it.
Speaker 3: No, No, I think a lot of us agree with you and would feel the same exact way. And that's why if I've ever been a house guest anywhere, I go out of my way to treat those people to a meal, to do something to show them gratitude instead of you know, kicking back and mooching and acting like it's a hotel.
Speaker 1: No. No, I'm the same way. And I've only stayed at relatives houses a few times, and it's always kind of weird. You know, it's their place, it's their space. It's not your space, it's their space.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. I don't like being in someone else's restroom. I don't like being in a bed that is, you know, not your normal jam. It's weird. It's just a weird feeling. Even when it's family. I've always found it weird. And my family in the Bay Area they think it's strange that I opt for a hotel. I would rather have a hotel every day of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm right there with you. I am, And I do get that from relatives if I'm coming to town and like, don't stay at a hotel. We want you to stay with us, And I'm like, you really don't want that. I don't want that, you don't want that, But they they make it seem like they really do want that. Anyway, Listen, the whole point of this, I I'm complaining, But if you cannot whine on your own podcast about relatives Danny doing stuff, what's the point of having a podcast on the weekend. We both, we both use this as a forum to complain.
Speaker 3: Yes, sometimes sometimes it's mostly entertainment, but once in a while we we do. I mean, everybody on everybody in entertainment at some time or another has a soapbox that they get to stand on and it's entertaining to most people as long as you as long as you don't do it all the time, because then, like Covino and Rich, they always joke if they feel like they're venting too many days in a row, then they want to change the name of their show to COMPLAINO and bitch. So you just got to be aware of what you're doing and not do it all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're just you gotta be real. And to me, it's as long as it's not like boring stuff. I mean, listen, I feel like this podcast is like bonus time, and I give all my sports, like I could, I could have come in here, Danny you know it's Saturday. I could have talked last night Aaron Judge passed Joe Demangio, Like that's a huge deal. But I don't need to talk about it. I talk about it on the radio show. This is more about other stuff, you know what I'm saying. I will talk sports every now and again, and this is just about random things that happened. That's what YouTube, I mean, boob tube is for exactly. That's what it is. All Right, we'll get out on that note, Danny, we got the now, don't forget Benny versus the Penny on YouTube YouTube dot com slash at Benny blast the two boobs. Yeah, I get. I'm just like mister Beast. I felt good yesterday on the Friday Pod, Danny. I was ranting and raving because I really, when I see these numbers of viewership and whatnot, I have known that it's a rig game on social media. I get very very I'm already skeptical, but I just rolled my eyes at some of this stuff. Like people are so gible. They believe a lot of things that, let's just say, aren't actually true, and it blows me away. It is, like I said, it's one of the Great Hustles O Man.
Speaker 3: So social media has had a lot of land mines the past few days.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. All right, well, get out of that, enjoy the college football and enjoy the the fight tonight. Canelo Alvarez and Terence Crawford be watching that, and then we get full day of football tomorrow as well. We'll be here for your pregame festivities, which is known as a mail bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait for the mail bag. See you then later, skater, later, skater is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Later, skater bo Flation