Speaker 1: I get everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Dan Hoard and thanks for downloading the Bengals Booth Podcast. The Draw Conclusions on the Wall edition as Dave Lapham joins me for an in depth look at the Bengals mandatory three day mini camp.
Speaker 1: Then it's the latest.
Speaker 2: Edition of five Questions with one of this year's draft picks, followed by five observations after watching practice and talking to players and coaches. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Ulta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever at your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since the Jack. Several current and former Bengals host charity golf tournaments for great causes, and this year Bengals dot Com editor Jeff Butch Hobson did as well. His tournament is called the Jack or more formally, the Jack Hobson Memorial Golf Classic. Jack was Jeff's first grandson who tragically passed away from a heart defect when he was twenty nine days old. The tournament pays tribute to Jack's memory and one hundred percent of the proceeds go to the Children's Heart Foundation, which funds research to advance the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of congenital heart defects. Unfortunately, rain got in the way of the golf this year, but the event still raised more than twenty thousand dollars and it's only the start.
Speaker 1: If you would like to.
Speaker 2: Learn more about the tournament or Jack Robert Hobbs and just search for the Jack Hobson Memorial. Now, let's get to football. The Bengals concluded their mandatory three day mini camp on Thursday, meaning the players are now off for five and a half weeks before training camp begins on July twenty third. I asked Zach Taylor what he told the players, particularly the rookies, about how to handle their upcoming break.
Speaker 3: You can't be the reason why we start training camp slow because you're a starter or a backup at a key position, and you get start slow because you get a soft tissue, because you're out of shape, or you come back and it takes you three days to regain the knowledge that we've already invested in the offseason. So we got to hit the ground run and us on every single player and coach to be able to do that over these next five weeks. You got to have a great plan in place to be consistent every single day. And I can't think of any other way to preach it other than the ten ways we've done it so far in these team meetings, and I expect our players to hold themselves a high standard when they get back.
Speaker 2: I've discussed the mandatory mini camp and the open season program in general with my broadcast partner Dave Lapham Lap. On Tuesday, the Bengals officially announced the release of Jermaine Pratt after six seasons. It obviously saves them money towards the salary cap, more than five million bucks. What is Jermaine Pratt's legacy as a Cincinnati Bengal Well interesting.
Speaker 4: He made a lot of big plays.
Speaker 5: He made a lot of players that were determining factor in the outcome of the football game, not necessarily the last play of the game, although he did do that, but not you know, not on a regular basis. All of his plays weren't that type of play.
Speaker 4: But he was.
Speaker 5: A guy that when the game was on the line, he stepped up and played his best and played big. He was a huge, huge factor defensively. Defensive coordinators, you know, loved him because he intelligent, had that football IQ. They would install the defensive game plan and he was all over it. I mean, he could recite it back to him immediately, just about had a tremendous memory, and not just of of you know, schematics and diagrams and that sort of thing, but of plays of actual, uh you know, games that he played in and snaps, and and he could take take those circumstances and those scenarios that he was put in and apply it to a game later in his career, maybe even later that season, maybe even the following week. He was one of those kind of guys, you know, he would he would not make a mistake and then the following week make it again, and coaches hate that, you know, don't make the same mistake twice. And Jermaine Pratt did not make the same mistake twice, you know, I mean, I don't think he made the same mistake twice, probably in his entire career. Sometimes guys will go, you know, a season or a couple of seasons, will make the same type of mistake or the same mistake that they made earlier. Didn't seem like that was the case with him and all. He really learned from his mistakes big time. And he was the type of football player that all defensive coordinators defensive coaches liked in that he always knew where he was supposed to be, where he's supposed to go, how he was supposed to get there. He just a very very high, high level IQ football player.
Speaker 2: Let's hit on some of the newsworthy stuff coming out of the mandatory mini camp. Number one first round draft pick Shamar Stewart isn't practicing yet. He's been in meetings, he's been watching practice from the sidelines, but he has not taken the field. You did this professionally for twelve years. At what point does missing practice impact his ability to be his best in his rookie year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's super critical right now because I mean, my uh, you know, my rookie season. We just we showed up a week before the veterans did at training camp.
Speaker 4: That was it.
Speaker 5: That was the only advantage that we got. But it was advantage because we were two practices of a day, every day installation. We had the offense basically installed, and then the veterans came in and it was a repeat of it. And that was Paul Brown's brilliant idea. He had a lot of brilliant ideas in his football career, for sure, but he felt like, get the rookies get it under there. Let them get it underneath under their belt. Learn no no high pressure scenario. They're working against each other, you know, nobody, no no veteran player, you know, looking down upon them and maybe being critical of mistakes or whatever the case may be. And there was a bond there that you made with other rookies working together for a week like that when you're going through two practices a day. And there were some there weren't enough rookies to line up and conduct a good practice. So there were for a second even thirty year guys that had injuries or coming off of whatever situation. The lack of playing time basically and the coaches wanted to make sure that they get up the speed faster or as quickly as they possibly could to give them the best opportunity to make the football team. So they'd come in with the rookies and a good group of those. It was probably like fifty to fifty, and then the veterans would come in and learn it all over again. The installation, as Paul would go back to the very beginning with the veteran players and be one run play in the morning, one pass play in the afternoon would be installed, and that was it. And it was It was crazy but effective, and you just it was burned into your mind.
Speaker 4: I mean, PB was.
Speaker 5: He was smart and sharp how he did things. But so I think from a mental standpoint, I don't think it's going to be killing him all that much. But he is here, so keep up the speed with the installation. The mental part of it, his assignments, how his assignments fit into the entire schematic, and why his assignment is important to the schematic for the success of the schematic, and all of that sort of thing. So I think he actually is in a little bit better situation than that. He's he's getting mental reps and the physical reps I think are all. Every rep is important, particularly when you're just starting out. You can never get enough reps. That's what Pep always said too, you know, you can never ever get enough reps. Don't don't don't judge or tell coaches no, I've had enough. I don't need any more reps and none of that. So I think the physical reps are equally important. I mean, the mental reps are valuable, the physical reps are extremely valuable, and he's missing out on those and just getting used to the to the pro game. As a specimen, I mean, he's what six' five plus two hundred and eighty five pounds plus and has the statistics of a defensive back a four five inch vertical, jump ten foot eleven inch prod, jump what are you kidding? ME i mean it's crazy. Stuff so, PHYSICALLY i think he's going to be. Fine but and he played he played in a good, conference and he played on a good football team with very good defensive linemen around. Him so he's used to working against a good offensive line and practice in. College but come to THE, nfl it is it's. DIFFERENT i, mean there are a lot of really good football players walking around out there that didn't make AN nfl, Franchise so it's it's the best of the, best the cream of the, crop and working against that is an, adjustment working against that type of skill, level particularly one that's experienced and knows all the tricks of the trade and all that sort of. Thing, so you, KNOW i do Think i'm a believer that reps are. Important every rep you miss is one that you're never going to be able to make. Up so hopefully he doesn't miss too many because even these ALTHOUGH i, think you, know the significance of these are at the bottom of the totem pole one considered with all the.
Speaker 4: Others BUT.
Speaker 5: I hate to see young players just misreps at any.
Speaker 2: Level then There's Trey, hendrickson who did not report for mandatory mini, camp so he's subject to more than one hundred.
Speaker 1: Thousand dollars in.
Speaker 2: FINES i still think he's going to play for The bengals this. Year AM i being naive what ultimately happens in this?
Speaker 4: STANDOFF i think he. PLAYS i agree with. YOU i think he.
Speaker 5: PLAYS i think That who AM i to judge what's fair for a? PLAYER a player is going to judge what's fair for himself in terms of a. Contract this guy's special seventeen and a half sacks led the, league thirty five sacks the last two years led the. League when you have a proven pass rusher like, that you can't let them. Go you got to you gotta get them under. Contract AND i think they will And, DAN i, mean they know the, money the amount of money that it's going to take to sign. THEM i think it's it's just Like Schmar. Stewart it's terms and. Conditions in both. Cases they know what the dollar figures are in terms of years and per year, compensation all that sort of, thing but terms and, conditions how much, bonus how much ones it paid, Out what kind of deferral are we talking? ABOUT i, mean things of that. Nature and if they can get the terms and conditions squared, away you know they'll they'll be In they'll be reporting to. CAMP i think that they'll both be in training. Camp are they going to make all a training? Camp they're gonna be in every preseason? Game probably, Not BUT i think they all report before training camp. Ends both of them report before training camp. Ends i'm crossing, everything crossing every FINGER i.
Speaker 2: Can let's talk about guys that are actually, here AND i want to start with the offensive. Line they're set at tackle With Orlando Brown junior And Marius. Mems they're set at center With Ted. Carris so the guard spots are the question marks right. Now Rookie Dylan fairchild is running with the ones that left guard right. Guard early in the, Practices Cody ford was getting a lot of reps with the. Ones more recently it's Been Lucas. PATRICK i think it's probably going to be one of those two guys when we get to the start of the. Season what do you think of the? Group what do you think of this offensive line and the likelihood that it's going to be better than it's.
Speaker 5: BEEN i think that the offensive line is going to be much better than it's. BEEN i really, Do, dan you, know and it's not you, know oh, yeah, yeah it's just the eternal optimism speaking and all that sort of. THING i, MEAN i think the people that you talk, About i've got tremendous confidence in what those tackles can. Do they are genetic, freaks they are physical. MARVELS i, mean you, know eight plus three hundred and thirty five to fifty pounds and long, arms big, hands tremendous, feet you, know in terms of being able to move their feet and laterally and change, direction and it's incredible the size of these behemoths with their ability to bend the, knees bend at their hips and lower their pad level and move and be. ATHLETIC i think they're as good as tanamisers in The National Football. LEAGUE i think teams in The National Football league have a tackle as good as one of as those. TWO i don't think there's any other team in THE nfl has got two tackles the caliber of those two. GUYS i think that's a huge. EDGE i think that's a big. Advantage so you know what had to be reworked the interior the offensive, line And Ted krriss is going to be the, center and he's the, captain you, know and he had a solid year for. Sure Ted krriss is a tremendous leader of. Men he knows the game of football as well.
Speaker 4: As the coaches.
Speaker 1: Do extremely.
Speaker 5: Intelligent he can come up and recognize defenses and help a. Quarterback he can recognize things before the quarterback and a lot of times the quarterback are depending on him to call out. Fronts and alignments and all that sort of thing in the defensive line when he's making calls to his offensive. Lineman so the guards are the, area like you talk about that you need to see if you can upgrade. Things AND i, AGREE i think the three guys you talked about will be the. Three will it be a rotation in, THERE i don't. Know you, Know Cody, FORD i think has got a little bit of work to, do drop some tonnage before training, camp AND i think he's proven that he can play and very, athletic a big guy that can really move and can play both, tackles can play both. Guards in my, mind he could play center as, well and that that versatility is something that is, rare you know It not every not every player can do. That so when you have a guy Like Cody ford that can do, it you have a valuable commodity right. There but, YEAH i THINK i think fairchild is is going to be.
Speaker 4: GOOD i think he's.
Speaker 5: STOUT i think his his lower body is very, strong and you know he's WHEN i watch him on, tape his pad level is really. Good you, know he's really bending well at the, knees in the in the. Waist that's youth and lack of injury is probably part of. It but some guys never are able to bend like like he can. BEND i, mean that's that's an athletic skill of skill sets to have and for, alignment it's it's a must to. Have and when you have, IT i, mean you don't want to lose. It you know you got and it's something you want to. Have and he. Does he's got length to his, arms so he can you, know, he'll, uh he'll lock. Out and when he locks, out he's got people at. Bay he's got his hands inside the framework of the body and he'll he'll either jam with his hands inside or he'll stagger uh at with the numbers of a little high low. Jam and he's very there's some sophistication to his. GAME i mean he's not he's not like some little novice out. There you know. That uh oh, yeah dumb. ROOK i mean this, guy, no this guy is a football player that played in THE, sec had played At. GEORGIA i, mean it doesn't get any better than, that you, Know and he's got the guys he played against or are there's a bunch of in The National Football league and, uh you, know guys that he played against and in this college, season his when when he came out this, year when they were seniors and or underclassmen or whatever that declare for THE nfl. DRAFT i, mean they're good football. Players so this guy has been to battle with the. Best AND i think when you when you played at that kind of level of college, FOOTBALL i think the transitions maybe a little. Smoother i'm not going to say, easy but maybe a little easier for a guy like. That and the good news is that he's also good football. Acumen he understands the game an extremely high level intelligent not only from a FOOTBALL, iq but an overall, intelligence good, communicator you, know sees. Things is an aware football. Player Paul brown used to talk about being, aware you, know aware of your, surroundings aware of your, environment aware of what's going, on and aware of what you're supposed to do and how you're supposed to do, it and damn, it do it the right. Way and THAT'S i think that's what they, have you, know in Fair. Child so, YEAH i THINK i think it's going to be an interesting. Battle and Then patrick a big veteran offensive. Lineman he's got a lot of games under his. Belt he's seeing everything that you can. SEE i don't think there's a defensive quarter in THE nfl or be.
Speaker 4: Able to fool.
Speaker 5: Him it's, like, oh, MAN i haven't seen that. Before when you've played that many, games that many, snaps you've seen. Everything SO i think he's going to be a plus as. Well AND i think the communication and that's going to go on With Ted carris and a guy like, him you, know it will be unbelievable and it will help the young tackle playing next to, him and you Know Ted Ted. Will If fairchild is the left, guard Fair child will be a. Rookie but like we're talking, ABOUT i think he has the football acumen in AN iq of better than a. Rookie and that'll be the area Where Ted, will you, know have to really make sure that the communication is up to snuff at a high level because you get young players on that left side at left guard and left. Tackle BUT i, think, man the, athleticism the overall talent level of those five guys is pretty pretty. Impressive and when you look at, It, dan they're, young you, KNOW i, Mean patrick's got some years on, Him carris has got some years on. Him other than that the other three man we're, talking we're talking in the early stages of their, career so there's a lot of meat on the bone and there's a lot of development that can go on. There and, uh you, KNOW I i think, that, uh you, know Coach peters is the guy to to get it out of. HIM i think he's gonna he's gonna develop these guys big. Time and it's gonna be interesting to see the whole thing come.
Speaker 4: Together from.
Speaker 5: Actually what's going on now and uh organized team activities and mandatory mini camps and so. Forth but it's it's there's not a whole lot of hitting going. On i'm interested to see how it all comes together when training camp.
Speaker 2: Starts let me ask you about a couple of wide receivers not Named Jamar chase AND T. HIGGINS i ASKED t About Andrea.
Speaker 1: Yossi vais last.
Speaker 2: Week he was effusive in his, praise saying that he's, bigger, stronger, faster. Twitchier are people sleeping On andrea yosibash?
Speaker 5: Probably you, KNOW i THINK i think there's a there's a good, chance and you, KNOW i guess it might be a little bit Under hannibal when you know the average. Fan oh you know the man The Cincinnati. Bengals are you kidding? Me Jamar chas and T. Higgins you have a duo like that that are both amongst the best, five maybe the best three or the best two in THE, nfl and they're both in the same. Team other guys can kind of get lost in the shuffle a little. Bit BUT i think coaches and other players around THE, nfl, no The bengals have more players than just those two. Guys not to admit those those those players and. Coaches they're not saying that they aren't great. Players they're saying The bengals have two great players, there but they're also saying that there are other. Players and you look At kasiki at the tight end. Position he almost in a lot of people's minds around the league translates to like a third receiver because he'll go in the slot and he'll he'll, motion he'll do things like a you, know a slot wideout will do with a big body and long arms and strong hands and all that sort of. Thing it runs good routes and has really good speed for his. Size his size speed ratios. Outstanding Andrey yosi vash as a true third receiver IS i think on the cusp of becoming a big factor in The National Football, league because when you have two like, uh you, Know chase And, higgins there's gonna be opportunity for. Others it's it's you, know they're gonna they're gonna double those two. Guys so if you've got just both those guys on the outside and you have four defensive backs to, safeties two, corners you, know double both these receivers that are on the. Outside you gotta roll safeties over the. Top there's the four dbs on those two. Guys so now you're talking, about, okay we'll run other dbs in their safety corner types or. Whatever or you're talking about a mismatch on linebackers if they don't go base. Defense so if, they you, know stay based, defense you're gonna have matchups of those type of receivers with that skill set on linebacker. Types, so you, KNOW i think that the depth in the of talent that The Cincinnati bengals have at wide receiver and tight, end they're gonna be. MISMATCHES i, mean defensives don't have they can't find enough cover. GUYS i, mean nobody has enough cover guys to handle all of those. Guys So Joe burrow is gonna be slicing and dison. Man he's gonna find the. Weakness he's gonna find the best matchup and that's where the football's. Going and if, they you, know do something to alleviate that, problem there's gonna be another problem that crops, up and he's gonna he's gonna dissect that. Problem SO i think that Watching Joe burrow throw the football to this group of talent receivers at a wide receiver and tight end is going to be fun For bengals. Fans it's gonna be it's gonna be passing game offense at the highest level possible in The National Football league here In. Cincinnati and you, know goes back to what we just talked about, Earlier, dan the old lineman they got to protect.
Speaker 2: Better then There's Jermaine, burton who appears to be doing all the right things to try to earn the trust back from his coaches and. Teammates are you buying into The Jermaine burton redemption.
Speaker 5: Arc he's doing all the right, things you, know and he's looking to be that fourth, guy that fourth wide. Receiver now we talked about you, Know gasiki is even a third receiver And yosi is a fourth Or yosi is a third wide. Receiver and now you've got you, know the tight, ends and there's multiple receivers at the tight end position as, well not Just Mike. Kasiki SO i mean The bengals are blessed with, many many. Weapons but you, know you got a young guy In burton that he's got all the physical attributes that a wide receiver could. Want he's got, size he's got, speed he's got ability to change, direction get in and out of. CUTS i, mean this guy can sink his hips and create separation and you, know cut on a. Dime and when when you've got receivers that are are absolutely just sinking their, hips planting that left foot and cutting on a you, know ninety degree angle to the sideline or to an open, AREA i, mean that's that's. Tough that's tough to. Handle and they they've got guys that can do, it And burton's one of. Them burton's got really good. HANDS i mean he's got soft, hands he catches the ball very. Easily he's got length to, him so he can be a. MISMATCH i, MEAN i THINK i think he's. DECEPTIVE i think a lot of times you see him in practice and you, know he's down the football field and jump all situation he's. Winning he's winning every one of them because he's longer than you think he. Is and he times has jumped very. Well that's the big thing. Is you, know jumping ability is, great but if you jump too, soon you're on your way. Down the ball hasn't arrived. Yet you, know he has a great ability to times jump and catch it at the. Apex you, know the high point of his jump is when the football is uh is is there for to take advantage of and and uh make a catch over the defender and he can he can do that very. WELL i THINK i think this guy's the limit for. Him it's up to. Him you, know he has to be able to take care of. Business he has to be a. Pro he has to learn and understand his. Playbook he has to be on top of every single. Assignment he has to gain the trust Of Joe burrow and don't lose, it and he has to gain the trust of all his teammates and don't lose. It is that this, guy if he, can you, know not make critical. Mistakes anytime in the football game you're making a mistake is not it's not good. Obviously but if it's a big third down and they do have double, coverage you know on the on the two, stars and And burton is the guy that.
Speaker 4: Is, okay he's he's the.
Speaker 5: OPTION i, Mean joe's thinking if they if they double to Outside, Burton i've got a mismatch, here and it unfolds exactly that, way And burton makes a mistake And joe throws a, Pick it's. Over it's. Over the trust is over. There you, know you've got to respect and trust each other as, teammates and, uh you know that's what you have to have big time between wide receivers and.
Speaker 2: Quarterbacks let's move to a few defensive. Topics it's been interesting to watch during the OTAs and mini camp and now the mandatory mini. Camp Al golden is moving his cornerbacks around quite a bit outside, slot either, side it's et. Cetera do you think he's just trying to figure out who belongs where or is that something that they can do in the.
Speaker 5: SEASON i THINK i think it's a little bit of. BOTH i THINK i think it's he's he's he values versatility in all of his, players even even with the defensive. Lineman he doesn't want just a nose, tackle you. Know he wants a guy that can play goes tackling one. Technique he wants a defensive tackle to play one technique the inside shoulder of the guard or a three technique the outside shoulder of a. Guard he wants defensive ends and can line, up you, know head up on an offensive tackle all the way out to you, know way, wide like a nine, technique way out on the on the. Edge SO i mean that's the first utility he's looking at with guys up, front. Linebackers he's looking at guys that can can do do multiple. Things go, smash come downhill and smash a guy in the running game and get a knock back and separate and make a, tackle you. Know but he wants guys that can. Blitz he wants guys that can drop in the. Coverage he wants players that can do a myriad of. Things Because Al golden's game is he's Got Encyclopedia britannica the things that he can do to. You and it's it's interesting the way he gets to it because it's not like a million different, Alignments but what he's got within his configurations and alignments is a myriad of different, looks you, Know and all you need is about you, know if you're if you're lining up and you have to win in your base the key is you have to be able to handle the opponent into your base. Defense if you're getting destroyed in your base, defense tricking ain't. Happening it's not gonna. Work it's not it's just not gonna that's not the way it. Works and in The National Football league or any level of football. Really but if you if you can, hint if you're knocking them back and you're capturing the line of scrimmage and all that sort of thing in your base, look and then you start running all the stuff that Dal golden's got in his back pocket and in his game plan and, playbook they could be.
Speaker 4: Good they could be.
Speaker 5: Good and they've got versatile athletes at all those, levels like you, Say, dan even at corner and. SAFETY i, mean if you've got position versatility, THERE i, mean look At Dax. Hill you know he's coming off of injury, obviously acl he missed the last but five GAMES i think of.
Speaker 4: The only missed the staff only played five, okay.
Speaker 5: Only played five. GAMES i mean this guy can line up, anywhere, corner, strong, FREE i, mean he can line up, anywhere do. Anything that's that's the kind of. Thing that's the kind of tool that that you, Know Al golden likes to have in his toolbox and be able to utilize him and Get like we talked about, mismatches this game is all about. Mismatches you, know whether it's if you if you can find a mismatch like we talked about with, bass if you've got your defensive, end Is i'm going to handle the right tackle the entire. Game you got a mismatch and you're making them do something to handle your. Guy your guy's too good for the guy that's going he's going up against in the other, team they put a tight end over, there they chip on the back to do, whatever and Now Al golden can start doing things based off of what They're the adjustment. There making, football Like Paul brown talked, about is always adjustments and adjustments to, adjustments And Al golden is one of the BEST i think in TODAY'S nfl adjusting to adjustments and making you make adjustments offensively with what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Defensively al is one of several new coaches on the. Staff There's Jerry, Montgomery Mike, codges And Scott, peters and then they have assistants as well that have joined the coaching. Staff but those guys THAT i mentioned are all younger than the coaches that they. Replaced is there something to that having guys that are closer to your.
Speaker 5: AGE i think there. Is you, know the first thing they that they have to be able to. Do Paul brown was was was really good with. THIS i don't care how old you, are how young you, are you got to be able to.
Speaker 4: Coach damn.
Speaker 5: It if you can't, coach the player is going to figure you. Out and if if you're not getting it getting it done in terms of winning their trust in what you're doing on a, practice, routine practice, schedule putting each other game. Plans if they don't respect what you're doing and trust that you're putting them in the best position to position to, win it doesn't matter how old you are or how young you, are but all things being, equal if you've got guys that are good in that, regard youth helps my, opinion IT'S i mean it's a young person's, game, REALLY i mean the hours that they have to, spend it's JUST i, think you, know, YOUNGER i mean working the seventy seventy five hour week putting together game. Plans And i'm not saying, that you, know guys in their sixties and seventies can't do. It they've done it and they'll continue to do. It BUT i just think that the energy and enthusiasm that these young guys That i'm seeing out in the football field right, now if that continues, IT i think it's going to even even maybe jump a notch or two once pads come on and you start really getting after each. Other in training, CAMP i think practice is gonna be whoa, man here we. Go they're gonna be like very very fun to. Watch it's gonna be high, intensity high, productivity. PHYSICALITY i, Think, UH i think training camp is gonna be gonna be a, blast AND i think they're gonna play that. WAY i think that there they're gonna be teams are gonna have a snoopful as As pev used to call. It every. Week make sure you're you're out there getting after it and, uh finishing every play and make life difficult to the.
Speaker 2: Opponent All, right one more, question and it's not A bengals question per, se it's AN Afc north. Question what do you make of The steelers Signing Aaron rodgers and does it drastically change your opinion Of pittsburgh's ability to potentially compete With cincinnati And baltimore for the division?
Speaker 5: Title, YEAH i, MEAN i think the and the signing Of Aaron rodgers is it's a. Plus it's got to. BE i, MEAN i think he definitely upgrades your quarterback. ROOM i know he's what forty years, OLD i know he's not what he, was but, man he can still spin the spin the.
Speaker 4: Pigskin.
Speaker 5: Man the guy can throw, it and he can throw it, accurately and he can throw it long. Distances pittsburgh runs the ball so effectively to have him to think about him throwing the football for The Pittsburgh. Steelers if they get that running game, going, man that's a that's a, problem the problem to deal with for. SURE i know the all the receiving corps and the tight end groups and backs out of the, backfield they're all excited about catching the football From Aaron rodgers, defensively it lifts.
Speaker 4: That group up because you've Got Aaron. Rodgers.
Speaker 5: MAN i, mean we lost a bunch of games in the fourth, quarter and you know With Aaron. Rodgers Aaron, rodgers his mwas win games in the fourth. Quarter and that's you, know that's basically what every football team has to do to make the. Playoffs his win games in the fourth. Quarter in THE, nfl a ton of games are one. Score you gotta you gotta get you gotta get it done in the fourth quarter to win your share of important football. Games and he's done that during the course of his. Career BUT i think he was Amazing dan four out of five. YEARS i think he won the m V p two went off two and the dude could, run could, throw he could do.
Speaker 4: ANYTHING i, mean he was.
Speaker 5: Remarkable he was you couldn't defend the.
Speaker 4: Guy he's not that guy. Anymore AND i.
Speaker 5: Think, again you Know Al golden and his packages and the performance of the, players you, know executing those. Packages they got to bottle of Of Aaron rodgers and The Pittsburgh. Steelers BUT i do think That Aaron rodgers makes them a different football team. Offensively if he's the guy there's no question about.
Speaker 2: It you're telling me he's an upgrade From Mason. Rudolph.
Speaker 5: YEAH i Like Mason. RUDOLF i like him a, Lot but heat No Aaron.
Speaker 2: Rodgers as you probably, Know lap is one of nine candidates to join The Bengals ring Of honor this, year along With Jim, Breech James, Brooks Chris, Collinsworth David, Fulcher Max, Montoya Lamar, Parrish Bob trumpey And Reggie. Williams the top two vote getters will be added and we'll find out who the fans selected In. July before getting to my next, guest here's a quick reminder that The Bengals booth podcast is brought to you by Pay, Corps proud to be The bengals OFFICIAL hr software, provider By Alta, fiber Future Proof Fiber internet designed to elevate your, home business and community to a new, level and By Kettering health the best care for the Best. Fans Kettering health is the official healthcare provider of The. Bengals, now time for another edition of Five questions with a member of this year's draft. Class time for Five questions with rookie running Back Taj brooks out Of Texas. Tech you have rushed for a lot of yards in your, lifetime more than forty four hundred in high, school more than forty five hundred in.
Speaker 1: College here's my.
Speaker 2: Question do you remember when you first knew that guys couldn't tackle you as a?
Speaker 6: Kid, yes, sir WHEN i was eight years old playing little leaf. Football you, know it was just you, know my mentality WHEN i was, LITTLE i just didn't WANT i didn't want nobody to tackle. ME i want to score, touchdowns and that was just my mentality just going in the, game you, know going in within a week prep and things like.
Speaker 2: That so question number two For Taj, brooks who is your all time favorite running back and?
Speaker 6: WHY i will say Either Javid bess from he played At Cal berkeley and then Or Marshawn. Lynch i'll just say just the dog mentality of just not getting, tackled being a a versatile running back and things like. That so those two.
Speaker 2: Guys Was marshawn's Beast quake run the most entertaining run?
Speaker 6: Ever, yeah, definitely, MAN i.
Speaker 7: WAS i was probably one.
Speaker 6: Of the best. RUNS i didn't seen like ON tv watching, it so it was it was a nice. Run, man it was.
Speaker 1: Crazy question number three For Taj.
Speaker 2: Brooks in addition to your great playing career At Texas, tech you were a finalist for The Campbell, trophy which they call the Academic. HEISMAN i read that you graduated with a three point five to SIX. Gpa did school come easily or did you really have to work at it to have grades like?
Speaker 6: THAT i would SAY i just really have to work at. It kudos to my academic staff At Texas. Tech they did a tremendous job of just helped me and got me in the right situations THAT i. Can but it was a lot of. Work it was a lot of hard. Work you know in, college you, know a student, athlete you got to you gotta have the grad the good. Grades you gotta stay eligible to play. Football so that's just SOMETHING i always loved AND i love. Football so Whatever i'm gonna do to keep playing, Football i'm gonna do it at the highest letball.
Speaker 1: Can question number four For Taj.
Speaker 2: BROOKS i watched a video profile of you That Texas tech did and in, it you put ketchup on something that discussed your. Quarterback he says it was a crime to. Society do you remember what it, Was and do you like putting ketchup on just about?
Speaker 1: Everything?
Speaker 6: Oh, man it's, crazy ketsup Is it's, OKAY i like, ketsup But i'm really a ranch. Guy but accord to. That my Quarterback Baron moore than great. Die he should be should be in the. Draft Maket, sure he's gonna probably go on the top of the. Draft but, MAN i put ketsup on.
Speaker 8: Salmon it's the, fish you.
Speaker 6: KNOW i just love it and it tastes. Good so that's WHAT i.
Speaker 2: Did that does not seem like a crime against society to. Me ketchup on salmon is five, EXACTLY i think because he's.
Speaker 6: Country he's a country, boy so he's, like, man you can't do. That that's like it's like a crime against the.
Speaker 1: Family SO i was, like all, right, man, nah all.
Speaker 2: Right fifth and final question for Taj. Brooks i've read that you loved riding horses as a.
Speaker 1: Kid did you have? ONE i did.
Speaker 6: Not my cousin. Did though my cousin had six. HORSES i don't remember their, names but, uh it was just SOMETHING i used to do just for. FUN i still sometimes WHEN i get some free, TIME i probably still go row, horses you, know go to Char rosy day like, that but. Not my cousins really have most of the, horses AND i just need to go with him just to you, Know rob the horses take care of things like.
Speaker 1: That all, Right you're off the hot. Seat appreciate your. Time best of.
Speaker 6: Luck, yes, sorry thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much Chase, brown SOME, I Jp, ryan AND. Todj brooks give The bengals three solid running backs going into training. Camp Zach moss is still on the, roster but a bit of a question mark after the neck injury that he suffered last. Year moss attended the mandatory mini camp but was not in uniform and only did some conditioning.
Speaker 1: Drills on the.
Speaker 2: Side, now let's go from five questions to five observations after watching The bengals practice this week and talking to players and. Coaches topic number one is trench. Warfare in the next to last, practice there was a drill where five offensive linemen had to pass protect against five pass, rushers and it was unusually intense and physical for this time of the off. Season there's only so much contact allowed in mini camps under The Collective Bargaining, agreement AND i asked offensive Coordinator Dan. Pitcher if The bengals are doing as much as, Permitted.
Speaker 8: We're going to follow all the guidelines that dictate how we can practice this time of. Year but you, know we want to challenge our. Guys we've we've talked at length with with our with our, line specifically in the whole, unit about just how critical that element.
Speaker 4: Is to our.
Speaker 8: Success and put a clip up there, today you, know vers a five man rush and it stresses the line out, right there's five one on one matchups across the, board but the BUT i made the points to, them there's five one on one matchups on the outside that are all in our. Favor so when you guys can step up and execute in those, spots that's that's a game change in. Play AND i think they're understanding that we're going to keep putting that in difficult, situations, Right pascal's that's an offensive, drill, right the defense is in a tough situation, there the drill you're talking. About we got to put our guys in tough spots and see how they, respond AND i think they've done a good.
Speaker 2: Job That Topic number two also involves the. Trenches more, specifically the two new line Coaches Scott peters And Jerry. Montgomery they are both extremely hands on coaches who physically demonstrate the exact techniques they're looking for and are young enough and strong enough to mix it up with the. Players here's Center Ted karras on their, impact including a detailed look At Scott.
Speaker 9: PETERS i Think scott And jerry have really added a great new dimension to our trench. PLAY i, think you, know we got a lot of great, players and you, know it just felt you, know those are you, know we went out there for these last nine to ten practices and really got after, him you, know more so than we have in the.
Speaker 2: Past it seemed really darius With scott leaders during these.
Speaker 1: Duels has it been and like a refresh for You?
Speaker 9: YEAH i mean so it's a very unique you, know being year ten and going over techniques That i've never heard, of AND i think that's been you, know that's that's one of the JOYS i take as a football. Player i've had a lot OF o line coaches in my, time and you, know to learn something That i've never even heard, of has you, Know it's taken you, know this eight weeks to kind of get comfortable with it and now we can take it in.
Speaker 5: The summer and train.
Speaker 9: It BUT i think he's done a great. Job you, know we're gonna have some some nuances that are a little bit, different AND i think it's gonna you, know what we talked about when he first got, HIRED i was, like how can we increase our one on one win? Percentage that's like all you, know that's like the main goal is how can we put tools in our players' hands that increase the chances of a one on one? Victory because we AND i think, that you, know we've kind of it's great to have a guy come in that hasn't been here kind of look at it from ten thousand feet and really be honest about you know what we, are who we, are you know who we are as an, offense and how we can be the best unit for this.
Speaker 2: Offense i've talked to nearly every offensive lineman during the off season, program and all of them are effusive in their praise For Scott. Peters topic number three is new defensive Coordinator Al. Golden When i've asked players About, al the first word that usually comes up is detailed and the final practice of mini camp provided a good. Example last, Year Al's Notre dame unit tied for the national leite and defensive touchdowns with, six including five on pick. Six's On, thursday The bengals worked on the finer points of scoring after an, interception such as where you should, run how to block without getting, penalized and the importance of not drilling the quarterback since officials are hyper focused on not allowing that to. Happen al basically went straight from Coaching Notre dame's defense in The National championship game to trying to build a championship level d defense In. Cincinnati if anyone needs the upcoming break before training, camp it's the team's new defensive.
Speaker 1: Coordinator grateful to be.
Speaker 10: Here love love being a part of The bengals, organization love coming to work every. Day that the coaching staff that we have is. Awesome they exceed expectations every. Day and it's been. Hard it's been really hard going from you, know you have to assess you know your current, roster then transition to the, draft and then you, know get on the. Field and there hasn't been any many many days off for. Us you, know we were joking this, MORNING i went from the longest season in the history of college football to straight. Work SO i am ready for a, break And i'm not afraid to Say i'm going to take.
Speaker 2: It al's ability to develop young players is going to be one of the biggest keys to the team's success this year and. Beyond one of The bengals, Scouts Andrew, johnson was recently a guest on this, podcast and if you didn't listen to that, Episode andrews said the, FOLLOWING i think That Al golden is going to be THE x factor IN us winning The Super. Bowl i'm the topic number. Four Cam, sample The bengals defensive, lineman missed all of last year with a torn achilles and recently got the green light to return to. Practice D line drills don't strike me as the most fun thing in the, world but it's been obvious Watching cam that he's having a. Ball after one drill where he sprinted into position in past, coverage he even broke into a little. Dance how does it feel emotionally to be back out there doing your?
Speaker 4: Thing? Oh, great.
Speaker 11: MAN i really talked about it all day because it was a hell of a, process you, know you, know hurt And cam going into your fourth. Year the you, know the expectations defense had for, you and not being able to be here for the.
Speaker 1: Guys you know that hurt a.
Speaker 11: Lot but it's so easy to Take soff for, granted not SAYING i did, before but just me and back out there Like i'm you, Know i'm excited to go to, practice not THAT i wasn't, before but when the game's taking away from, you you just get a whole different, respective more football than the. Drills SO i just had a real Possible i'm JUST i don't have to be out there. Now so that's what all you saw right there with that for.
Speaker 2: Sure gam was a rookie when The bengals went to The Super bowl in twenty twenty, one and he Sacked Patrick mahomes in THE Afc Championship game the following. Year my fifth and final topic Is Trey. Hendrickson AS i said in my conversation With Dave, LAPHAM i still believe that we will See trey in A bengals uniform this. Year that's obviously what the, coaches players in front office. Want here's his, Friend Joseph.
Speaker 1: Osai i'm not losing hope at. ALL i, KNOW i know it's.
Speaker 7: TOUGH i know everybody has to do what's best for. THEM i know he has to do us best for him and his. Family SO i always say, This i've told this to him multiple. Times i'll be selfish and SAY i need you. Back i'll be selfish and SAY i want you. Back But god will And god can do all. Things we'll, see we'll, see we'll see by the team the defense needs. Him you know you feel his presence when he's out.
Speaker 5: There for.
Speaker 7: Sure you can ask any old lineman in the league you feel his. Presence was training When chray lies up in front of you with his slightly tinted face mask and there's no gloves and his long sleeve in tights and his black shoes strapped all the way that you know you got war the whole, game the whole.
Speaker 4: Game you know you have.
Speaker 1: War there's no. Playoffs SO i really hope you can get him.
Speaker 2: Back what a great description of big, Play. Tray and, yes we all hope That tray and The bengals work things out to bring him. Back that's going to do it for this episode of The Bengals Booth, podcast brought to you by Pay Core proud to be The Bengals OFFICIAL hr software provider By Alta fiber future proof Fiber internet designed to elevate your, home business and community to a new, level and By Kettering health the best care for the best. Fans Kettering health is the official healthcare provider of The. Bengals if you haven't done so, already please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a, minute give it a rating for share a comment that helps More bengals fans and find. Us I'm Dan horde and thanks for listening to The Bengals booth.
Speaker 1: Podcast